8.1

1. Feb 13, 2013
    I was a bit skeptical about this game before trying it, but I was pleasantly surprised once I got it going. The game is simple enough to start without too much introduction, and the early levels serve as active tutorials that doesn't seem like tutorials at all. But the game also offers a very wide range of customization in terms of your characters, classes, skill points and traits. TheI was a bit skeptical about this game before trying it, but I was pleasantly surprised once I got it going. The game is simple enough to start without too much introduction, and the early levels serve as active tutorials that doesn't seem like tutorials at all. But the game also offers a very wide range of customization in terms of your characters, classes, skill points and traits. The puzzles are challenging, but not hard. There are usually clues all around, and none of the puzzles are unrealisitcly difficult. The game can be very challenging at times, but its not unfair, so after a big fight, it will usually let you have a breather. Combat takes a while to get used to. If you stand still, you'll get pounded to the floor, but this new form of combat is a nice change from what we are used to.

I would have liked it if there was an option to reset skill points without having to start the game over. After I had played the first 3-4 hours, I had gained some valuable knowledge about the game, and felt that I would be better off by starting over and indeed, I was a lot more powerful when I made it to the same point of the game. I feel that being able to reset your points could negate this I could have spent my skill points differently, without being as strong as my newly customized characters was, and I feel that new players shouldn't be penalized quite this much by making bad mistakes early on in the game.
  2. Nov 1, 2013
    Even over a year later after I got it, I still find this game extremely fun and challenging. It's a very unique experience for me as there's no other game I've played like it. There are dozens upon dozens of secrets hidden among the walls of Grimrock, some in which are extremely rewarding. Although the game can be very unforgiving, you can save at any time. Being able to spot a hiddenEven over a year later after I got it, I still find this game extremely fun and challenging. It's a very unique experience for me as there's no other game I've played like it. There are dozens upon dozens of secrets hidden among the walls of Grimrock, some in which are extremely rewarding. Although the game can be very unforgiving, you can save at any time. Being able to spot a hidden button on a nearby wall, and be rewarded with good equipment is very satisfying. My biggest gripe with this game is how frustrating the dice roll system can be, kinda like in Pokemon where you miss your attack 10 times in a row.

There's a sequel in the works, so pick this up sometime so you can look forward to it like me!
  3. Jul 17, 2012
    For Fans of Old school RPG Player like Eye of the Beholder and such, craving for a new entry in their favourite genre this game is probably a must have.

For those not familiar with the genre several "user friendly" additions made it into the game, like saving whenever and wherever you want to, or an automap which, unlike in the past where you had to work with paper & pencil, can be accessed anytime in case you lost yourself in the latter dungeons of the game (given their size not an unlikely event).

As far as im concerned i really enjoyed the graphics (!) and the puzzles of the game, which are plenty and more importantly unique in terms on how to solve them. (Heck, you can even use the dungeontraps to kill enemys with good timing :D)

The Combat (which is also an essential part of the game) however left a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth.
    At the start of the game you can create a group of up to four prisoners which can be warriors, rogues or mages, all with their own, unique skilltrees. The latter however are fairly poorly balanced. Either you stick with one tree (say axes for warrior) every time you level up, to be really powerfull or you end up with a mediocre char, who is trained in say armors and a weapon of your choice. I could live with that, if the combat itself wouldnt feel so clunky (mashing in the runes for spells every time gets annoying after a while) or the AI would pose a greater challenge (Literally every single enemy in the game can be killed without much effort, as long you have a 2X2 square. Simply wait till it moves to an adjacent square, attack and move to the side, since enemys cant attack diagonally).

Apart from that, the game does a pretty good job in terms of atmosphere and storytelling.
  4. Dec 27, 2012
    Definitely worth $4. I've got six hours so far and it's at least as entertaining as a lot of games I've played. I've bought plenty of more expensive games that didn't even get five minutes before I deleted them. I have a good feeling I'll play this one through. It's Eye of the Beholder or EOB II, Legend of Darkmoon style gameplay. The real time is the same but that particular detailDefinitely worth $4. I've got six hours so far and it's at least as entertaining as a lot of games I've played. I've bought plenty of more expensive games that didn't even get five minutes before I deleted them. I have a good feeling I'll play this one through. It's Eye of the Beholder or EOB II, Legend of Darkmoon style gameplay. The real time is the same but that particular detail might be hard to remember for those who played them. You wait after each action while that action recharges. It's cool. You have to move around and dodge the pursuing enemy and pay enough attention so you don't get locked into a corner or get surrounded which can be a quick death. Searching for secret doors is fun, the puzzles are fun and I hate puzzles, but I like the style of these. All the high ratings for this game made me a little suspicious, but I'd have to agree the game isn't bad. I don't see quite how there are so many 10's though. Even if I rated it for the period these games came out, which is pretty much what I did, it still could use a little more detail. I think it just needs a little more creativity regarding character development. More options. The original Fallout is a great example of how a lot of options with skills, abilities, and creative detail helps escape that generic feel I think this game could use a bit more of. But it's a solid dungeon crawler never the less. I love old school stuff and I'm glad I bought this game. I just hope they make another one and throw in a little more. If you're going to make an old school game, you might as well deck it out with endless detail. Expand
  5. Jul 1, 2012
    Loved it, an ohmage to a classic style of video game. It's difficult at points but fun gfx are nice, gameplay is good, lots of replay ability. A well done tribute to a game style long gone.
  6. Sep 7, 2013
    Legend of Grimrock is an RPG inspired by oldschool games in the genre and in particular the Eye of the Beholder games. While it gets many things right it also has what in my mind is a major flaw, the combat system, which is one of the most important things in a game like this. But the good things first. Graphics are unusually good for a RPG of this kind, but still true to the oldschoolLegend of Grimrock is an RPG inspired by oldschool games in the genre and in particular the Eye of the Beholder games. While it gets many things right it also has what in my mind is a major flaw, the combat system, which is one of the most important things in a game like this. But the good things first. Graphics are unusually good for a RPG of this kind, but still true to the oldschool origins of the game. Level design is in general good with some puzzles to solve, optional challenges to get powerful weapons and other goodies and traps where you can for example suddenly find you closed in inside a small room together with a couple of monsters.

Sound effects and music are adequate but nothing special.

The story of the game is nothing special, you have been thrown into a dungeon and you have to escape. You also have dreams giving hints about what is to come, but none of this is very interesting, the story is not the reason why you want to keep playing the game.

The main weakness of the game is the combat system, which relies on fast reflexes more than anything else. Any combat against any enemy which can only use melee attacks can be won by attacking, moving away before the enemy can attack, waiting until the enemy moves in front of you, attacking again and so on. The strategy is simply to move around in a circle and attack at the right times and with this simple strategy, if well executed (i.e. if your reflexes are good enough) any enemy can be beaten without getting hurt no matter how strong the enemy or how weak your characters. If there is more than one enemy to fight at the same time, the enemy has ranged attacks or there is no room to move around in a circle things are slightly more complicated but it is still mainly about having good reflexes. This means that giving your characters good skills and making use of the right skills at the right time just makes battles shorter, not really easier, which makes leveling up less fun. This problem was to some extent already there in the classics that this game is based on, but it is more of a problem here becausse of the faster pace of the game.

Also, the skills you can choose from are not very varied. In particular magic is almost all about doing damage from a distance and it does not matter much which elemental school you choose to specialise in since they all have basically equivalent spells. Still, even though this is as much an action game as it is an RPG it is still fun enough that I found it worth playing to the end. It just didn't appeal much to the oldschool RPG lover in me liked it promised to do.
  7. Dec 13, 2012
    A fantastic old-school first person dungeon crawler full of hidden passages, complex puzzles, and difficult combat. The graphics and sound design are amazing considering the game is only 600mbs. Most of the music is ambience leading to a calm gameplay experience... until a skeleton rushes around a corner and makes you jump. Old style games like this have a terror of their own with theA fantastic old-school first person dungeon crawler full of hidden passages, complex puzzles, and difficult combat. The graphics and sound design are amazing considering the game is only 600mbs. Most of the music is ambience leading to a calm gameplay experience... until a skeleton rushes around a corner and makes you jump. Old style games like this have a terror of their own with the lighting and sound effects. When your torch goes out, it is pitch black until your characters "eyes" adjust and even then you can barely see. The only real complaint I have is the combat can be frustrating when you get body-blocked into a corner or are simply overpowered because of poor stat placement or equip. If you go into this expecting "Amnesia with swords" instead of "Skyrim without towns" you will have a great experience. Be prepared for a game that wants to beat you down; save often and take map notes because you will need all the help you can get. Expand
  8. Apr 23, 2012
    Decent game for an indie, but I feel that it is over rated by the community. It is a good puzzle game, with old school grid based movements. However, the combat gets repetitive and tedious soon after playing. You will be doing this side-stepping maneuver and attack again and again in the 2x2 square when ever you fight a monster. In all, this game is probably good to stir up some nostalgiaDecent game for an indie, but I feel that it is over rated by the community. It is a good puzzle game, with old school grid based movements. However, the combat gets repetitive and tedious soon after playing. You will be doing this side-stepping maneuver and attack again and again in the 2x2 square when ever you fight a monster. In all, this game is probably good to stir up some nostalgia but nothng really more. Expand
  9. Apr 15, 2012
    I just finished the game tonight. And it bring back memories of time long past when I played Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder and such... Boy, that sure made me feel like an old-timer... ;-)

About the game proper, it is a solid game that bring an old formula that is simple to learn, but difficult to master. It is about Trial and Error (or Google search) Puzzle-Solving and tactical combat maneuvering.
    However, not all is perfect in the land of Grimlock...

Pro:
    - Graphics are good enough. As is the sound. Everything to have the feeling of being trapped in a closed Dungeon. And checking often for the 'hidden switches' to find secrets caches...
    - Ressouce management (Backpack space and weight, etc...) of what you should and should not carry is still a huge part of the game. Do I have enough (or too many) Torches? Food?... - Auto-map (optional, if you wish) is a breeze to use. Plus you can write notes on it, making even more enjoyable. - You can use the default group of 4 'convicts', or you can customize your party. Yes, you can have a party of 4 warriors or 4 mages... And try to live with the consequences...
    - In the New Game menu, you can only select Grimrock, but it is designed to select, I assume, future Dungeons. Also, a level editor is promised by the developers, giving even more replayability to the game...

Con:
    - Some puzzles are infuriating. The ones that forces you to push the direction buttons in the right order with the right timing, with no margin for error. Suffice it to say that for me, I had to try and reload A LOT! And I read in the game's forum that some peoples are just not able to solve them.
    I don't mind a tough puzzle, knowing that I can Google the solution if I really can't find the answer (I did it a few times actually, to be honest..), but these puzzles, research all you want, if you don't have the timing to solve them, you're stuck with no hope of progressing further. It is the ONLY reason I hesitate to restart a new game: knowing that these puzzles exists and having to pass them again... -2 Just for that...
    - Spellcasting for mage is tedious. I know it was, in my time playing Dungeon Master, but we're in 2012. It should at least remember the last spell you 'programmed' for each mages, so you only have to click on the mage hand, then on the throw spell. I hope they improve this in a future patch.
    For the Fighter or the Rogue, you only need one click to attack. But for a Mage, you need one click to open the spellcasting, 3 clicks to 'program' the Fireball spell, then another click to send the spell. Between 3-5 clicks needed each time a mage attack... -1...

All in all, a good game that bring back a genre too long forgotten by Developpers...
  10. Jan 23, 2013
    im disapointed . play it for 4 hours and think that magic is completely stupid system. you have to click RMB on hand icons( 1x1cm sqare) than check runes( which are little squares about 0.5x0.5 cm on 1900x1200) and than again pres LMB on listtle rectangle with cast icon. Each time even if i use just one spell it reset the runes so must do all the clicking by myself) . Devs say that thaim disapointed . play it for 4 hours and think that magic is completely stupid system. you have to click RMB on hand icons( 1x1cm sqare) than check runes( which are little squares about 0.5x0.5 cm on 1900x1200) and than again pres LMB on listtle rectangle with cast icon. Each time even if i use just one spell it reset the runes so must do all the clicking by myself) . Devs say that tha magic is complex system and it should not be so easy but that just stupid talking. If i play the team i pressume that all that team do not have just one brain so if i use my time by rmb clicking on warriors axe so my mage in that time should prepare runes on himself - he is part of team so if i told him : prepare firebal and wait till i order u to cast it so as soon (cooldown time) as he can he make the rune and then just wait as i RMB on his hands. the way the game is now seems more hack/slash than diablo couse players who click faster are better(or the one with better mouse ) this is my way of thinking about roleplaing if i take control of other character, the one i order should do as i say - so with magic : if i cast fireball once and do not change my mind to other spell so he should always be ready on his own to cast fireball not waiting for me each time to say : this time use fireball. If one want to have magic works as it works there should be few options for that for people who want game more oldschooled and who thinks my way. I bought that game just yeasterday evening and wont play it until magic is repaired or make some options to choose to have it easier also next time i wont buy another game of this studio before i check on pirate version if its playable for me(and if they will not change the magic system i wont buy it at all) Expand
  11. Aug 5, 2012
    I'm guessing the poor reviews are from kids that have never heard of Eye of the Beholder or Black Crypt. For those that have this is a sumptuous delve into the past. But it is not as good as it could have been which is an absolute shame. No character generation? Even EotB and BC had that 20 years ago! To cast spells you have to select buttons on a 3x3 grid which wouldn't be so bad if theI'm guessing the poor reviews are from kids that have never heard of Eye of the Beholder or Black Crypt. For those that have this is a sumptuous delve into the past. But it is not as good as it could have been which is an absolute shame. No character generation? Even EotB and BC had that 20 years ago! To cast spells you have to select buttons on a 3x3 grid which wouldn't be so bad if the buttons stayed selected, instead you have to keep re selecting each button..... gameplay suicide. Your ranged character is next to useless if you miss the bow which is in a secret area..... why ffs, then all she can do is throw rocks and a pointy bit of metal. The puzzles are well implemented if a bit nonsensical. If you are under 30 years of age you will probably hate this game but for those of us that spent hours drawing maps on squared paper this is a fun, if short lived, stroll down memory lane. Expand
  12. Jun 16, 2014
    I really, really, really wanted to like this game. It was the first time I played a game like this since Lands of Lore. I don't know what I didn't like but by level 9 I was just not having any fun. And when a game isn't fun I stop playing. But for what kind of game this is, it's a 10.
  13. Jul 23, 2012
    A dungeon-exploring game that follows the rules of good ol' D&D. Unfortunately, it did not follow any kind of turn-based systems but attempted to go with "Real time" combat which creates really huge pit-falls in the difficulty curve along with having awkward controls and manual spell-casting required after EVERY SINGLE SPELL. Casters will have to sleep/rest after every encounter and rangedA dungeon-exploring game that follows the rules of good ol' D&D. Unfortunately, it did not follow any kind of turn-based systems but attempted to go with "Real time" combat which creates really huge pit-falls in the difficulty curve along with having awkward controls and manual spell-casting required after EVERY SINGLE SPELL. Casters will have to sleep/rest after every encounter and ranged units will never have enough ammo for any encounters that involves more than 1 mob leaving melee units the only viable option which then turns into running around in "circles" on squares, hitting the enemy repeatedly before the enemy AI even has a chance to react. The way you look around is quite awful too considering you need to "Drag and Drop" with the mouse and use Q / E to very violently turn 90 degrees which can create nausea. I appreciate where they were trying to go with this game but It just didn't do it for me in the long-run. Expand
  14. nop
    Jun 17, 2012
    I'll keep it short. Playing this game is like playing 4 Diablo characters at once without using item belt and spell hotkeys. Circle-strafing enemies one cell at a time while rapidly clicking multiple small buttons with mouse is what battles are in this game. Like somebody said before me, they are long mouse/keyboard dexterity tests which can frustrate even a seasoned starcraft player.I'll keep it short. Playing this game is like playing 4 Diablo characters at once without using item belt and spell hotkeys. Circle-strafing enemies one cell at a time while rapidly clicking multiple small buttons with mouse is what battles are in this game. Like somebody said before me, they are long mouse/keyboard dexterity tests which can frustrate even a seasoned starcraft player. Congratulations on resurrecting short-lived, inherently flawed, dead end branch of computer RPGs. There are multiple smaller problems I encountered, but these I can forgive in an indy game. Before voting this review down can you people care to explain why anything I said about gameplay is wrong, in your own review? Meanwhile I'll go play Orcs and Elves, Wolfenstein RPG or japanese Wizardry. Expand
  15. May 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. A good old fashioned game, with a decent work of development on environment and puzzles. But, after three or four levels, it become boring, with a gameplay a little bit poor and repetitive. All traps are identical, all mobs are morons and easy to kill. Good for a while, but no more than a half day. Collapse
  16. Apr 12, 2012
    This game is little disappointment for me. At first, it is not RPG! It is dungeon crawler. This is reincarnation of old Dungeon Master. But it unfortunately is nothing near Dungeon Master 2, Wizardry or Ultima. There is no story, no quests, no money, no shops, no cities, no friendly NPC (so far), nothing. You just walk dungeons with items, fights, pushing hidden buttons to open next doorThis game is little disappointment for me. At first, it is not RPG! It is dungeon crawler. This is reincarnation of old Dungeon Master. But it unfortunately is nothing near Dungeon Master 2, Wizardry or Ultima. There is no story, no quests, no money, no shops, no cities, no friendly NPC (so far), nothing. You just walk dungeons with items, fights, pushing hidden buttons to open next door to next level (yes, there are levels). This game would be well suited if random level generator implemented, but it is not there. The level/items/bonuses/secrets are static. Very static. Graphics is Ok, monsters, "puzzles" are ok. Leveling/skill system is minimalistic, not much space for customization. Spell system looked like rune-based as DM, but it's not. You get few specific spells virtually as you level. No combination as in godlike DM2. Controls/GUI is fine, missing polishing, but it's ok, maybe updates will make it better. Game itself is well made. But I really miss those things that exists in all games after original DM. Expand
  17. Sep 26, 2012
    muy buen juego para jugadores de rpg que añoran la vieja escuela , si por lo contrario no nunca jugaste a este tipo de rpg puede ser que te decepcione y no te guste
  18. Apr 12, 2012
    I'm old enough to have played games like this when they represented the cutting edge of RPG technology. So when I saw Grimrock show up on Steam -- at a bargain price and with overwhelmingly positive reviews -- my heart leapt with nostalgic excitement. And... well, it's kind of fun, and yeah, it brings back pleasant memories of childhood dungeon crawling. I'm sure I'll get my $13 worth ofI'm old enough to have played games like this when they represented the cutting edge of RPG technology. So when I saw Grimrock show up on Steam -- at a bargain price and with overwhelmingly positive reviews -- my heart leapt with nostalgic excitement. And... well, it's kind of fun, and yeah, it brings back pleasant memories of childhood dungeon crawling. I'm sure I'll get my $13 worth of entertainment value out of it. But mostly, it's a reminder of how much better games have gotten over the past couple decades. It is what it is, and it's worth the price they're asking. But I suspect I'd be happier replaying Skyrim yet another time. Expand
  19. gas
    Apr 17, 2012
    The game is a remake of Dungeon Master, and im enough old to remember it very well.
    This LoG is overall good and im not against this idea of remakes, but its strongly overpriced in my opinion, actually i payed 14 dollars for this title.
    Dungeon Master was massive, for the release time it was great under every aspect, it was 1 floppy disc on Amiga and i played it years before finishing it (without any guide).
    This LoG does what its promised overall so its a good remake, but its very short, its possible to finish it in 20 hours or less and compared to today pc game standards devs cant pretend to ask so much money imho, so i give it a 6 cause im quite pleased about the game itself, but the price is out of any logic.
  20. Jun 14, 2015
    Really boring game after playing newer RPGs like The Witcher, Mass Effect, Fallout, Skyrim, Dragon Age, and Shadowrun. I thought I would like it because I used to like Might and Magic, but it was just so boring and the gameplay style has been left behind.

AND OH MY GOD THE SPELL/MAGIC SYSTEM IS ATROCIOUS. That alone would make me never play the game again.
  21. Jul 16, 2015
    Unlike any other game i've played. A grid based real-time dungeon crawler. Set levels and item locations means that there's no randomness to this experience which is a welcome sight. You control 4 prisoners which you can customize thoroughly from their race, to their class and skills. The game isn't hard to get to understand but may take quite some time to master. You won't be able toUnlike any other game i've played. A grid based real-time dungeon crawler. Set levels and item locations means that there's no randomness to this experience which is a welcome sight. You control 4 prisoners which you can customize thoroughly from their race, to their class and skills. The game isn't hard to get to understand but may take quite some time to master. You won't be able to level up fully by the end so you'll have to spend points wisely and there's no economy so hoarding loot isn't viable and managing your inventory is a significant part of the game. The story, though not a big part of the game, is interesting at first and you find haunting letters along your journey that tell the tale of a prisoner that came before you. This all builds up to the ending which I unfortunately found to be a big let down. I was really interested in finding out what happens at the end but the final boss and big payoff was ultimately disappointing in my opinion. Other than that the game is well made and is an enjoyable experience. There are issues here or there but nothing major. Expand
  22. Jun 13, 2015
    This game is misclassified as a RPG. It's mostly a puzzle game with some very
    few elements of role playing.
    The good: Nicely rendered and immersive environment. Initially captivating story. Innovative way of presenting clues. Real feeling of accomplishment when completing a level. Unobtrusive soundtrack well suited to the somber environment. On demand save game capability. The
    This game is misclassified as a RPG. It's mostly a puzzle game with some very
    few elements of role playing.

save game capability.

The bad: Impossible to control party characters individually. Too many timed puzzles
    solely based on the player's ability to hit keyboard keys quickly and in a determined
    (physiologically unnatural) sequence. Too many location based spawning and re-spawning
    of foes. Limited almost predetermined character development with some levels
    requiring one specialization and others a completely different one and there is not
    enough points available to do this. Too many obtuse and pixel hunting puzzle
    requiring the use of a guide.

Conclusion: If you're the puzzles and "the quickness keyboard fingers in town" type
    then this is definitely a game for you. For a true RPG fan, it's more "oh no, not again"
    over and over and over....
  23. May 21, 2012

1. Jun 13, 2012
    A relic of the RPG's golden era, revived and refined for the modern age. [July 2012, p.71]
  2. May 30, 2012
    Classic dungeon-crawling brought back to life. [June 2012, p.52]
  3. May 28, 2012
    A delightfully nostalgic, but harsh, RPG treat, oozing old school charm. [July 2012, p.90]