8.1

1. May 16, 2012
    Best game of the year so far. I can't stand crap that industry is serving us. We need go back to the roots of pc gaming. Games must be develop with people with passion not by marketing departments.
  2. May 16, 2012
    Very good game, complicated dungeons with tons of puzzles (not tiny Skyrim's retarded linear loops), old school forward-left-right-back movement surprisingly brings a lot of tactics to combat. Some interesting gameplay mechanics like pushing rune combination to cast a spell

Cons: at the end puzzles become annoying and don't make much sense (levels 9-10). Not enough exp to develop more than one skill
  3. May 14, 2012
    Old school'd Dungeon Master in a modern look. Brings everything you expect from a dungeon crawler game - lots of monsters to beat, weapons to fight with, spells to cast, puzzles to solve. Those vary from easy ones to very hard to crack, however each puzzle is somewhat based on a common sense and you must think to crack it, with or without the help of ingame notes you find on your escapeOld school'd Dungeon Master in a modern look. Brings everything you expect from a dungeon crawler game - lots of monsters to beat, weapons to fight with, spells to cast, puzzles to solve. Those vary from easy ones to very hard to crack, however each puzzle is somewhat based on a common sense and you must think to crack it, with or without the help of ingame notes you find on your escape from Grimrock. The only drawbacks I have found is that the walls of the dungeon could be more variable and the spell casting system could be working on some user friendlier system - it is a bit annoying to select the same runes again in the heat of the battle. Also, the realtime fighting might not suit everyone. But despite of these drawbacks, every dungeon fan must have this game. Expand
  4. May 13, 2012
    I like interesting ideas that might remind me of old games. But the games that do not carry out an anything new and 100% refer to the older games are just weak. The game can keep us in an interesting climate, can we draw, but the authors could sit with her a little longer to refine it, improve technology, so as to look like for our times. Yet for those who do not have memories of theseI like interesting ideas that might remind me of old games. But the games that do not carry out an anything new and 100% refer to the older games are just weak. The game can keep us in an interesting climate, can we draw, but the authors could sit with her a little longer to refine it, improve technology, so as to look like for our times. Yet for those who do not have memories of these games, weakly - My rating -2/10 Expand
  5. May 9, 2012
    As an oldschool PC player in the age of console ports, this game made me feel home, I loved it! And the execution is really outstanding, it mixes best parts of the classic and modern gaming, a masterpiece.
  6. May 9, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock is a classic-style dungeon crawler along the lines of Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master. You control a part of four characters and work your way through the levels of the game fighting monsters, solving riddles and exploring. The riddles are absolutely amazing - they dare challenge the player, and not just for finding secrets or such - if you want to get through theLegend of Grimrock is a classic-style dungeon crawler along the lines of Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master. You control a part of four characters and work your way through the levels of the game fighting monsters, solving riddles and exploring. The riddles are absolutely amazing - they dare challenge the player, and not just for finding secrets or such - if you want to get through the main story you will actually have to solve some pretty challenging ones.

In some aspects LoG has a better design than the old games it's based on. For instance having a lifestone in each level that will revive any dead characters means that you have to load your game when your last character dies, not the first one. The classes also offer you a wide range of options for specializing your character. Also LoG has the best alchemy game play I've ever seen. When you drink a potion you end up with an empty bottle. Then you can put something new in it and you'll have a new potion. The amounts of bottles you find determines the total number of brewed potions you can have at any particular time, not the total number you can expend during the game. Makes potions much more usable. The magic system is rather badly implemented though. Casting a fireball is a five click operation. First you have to open the spell interface, then click the three runes constituting a fireball and then click the "cast" button. In comparison swinging an axe is a one-click operation, which makes magic a bit useless. Why the spell interface isn't linked up to the num-pad is odd - it has the same shape and seems to be designed for that.

Combat works fine - some people seem to dislike the harder fights where you actually have to dodge around the enemies, slam doors in their faces, lure them into traps and jump on top of them through pits in the floor. I, however, found that very entertaining and I doubt my interest in the game would've been as high if you could just stand-and-fight every battle in the game.

In conclusion Legends of Grimrock is an absolutely fantastic game. There are no bugs, very few annoyances, lots and challenge, pretty graphics and I had a very hard time putting this game down before I got through it. I consider it worth every cent, and if the magic interface gets fixed I'll up the score to 10.
  7. May 8, 2012
    Now first of all, even if it is just an Indie game, it is worth buying it. The graphics are just cool and fit to the environment. At the beginning you have to get to know the game a bit, since there is not really a tutorial (just a tiny one). But after playing it for 15 minutes, you know what to do. Unfortunately, I used the standard characters, without skilling them on my own. But, INow first of all, even if it is just an Indie game, it is worth buying it. The graphics are just cool and fit to the environment. At the beginning you have to get to know the game a bit, since there is not really a tutorial (just a tiny one). But after playing it for 15 minutes, you know what to do. Unfortunately, I used the standard characters, without skilling them on my own. But, I think I'm going to play it again with a totally different party. Played it for 3h and still enjoy it (3 hours for an indie game is quite good, isn't it?).
    A game worth a score of 85%.
  8. May 7, 2012
    Remember Dungeon Master on the Amiga? If not, even better! I have been waiting years for a game like this. It is almost impossible to stop playing. The puzzles are evil, the fighting a bit point and click, but that's what I want. I am more interested in the puzzle the game poses.

I haven't found any invisible walls yet, err, I mean walls that you can walk through, that aren't really there - like dungeon master, but I am only on a low level. I would also like a bit more of the click-something-five-miles-away, with something else, to open a door you never knew about.

But, it's compulsively addictive, I absolutely love it! When I bought it I thought: "I hope this is like Dungeon Master" and I have waited years to play another Dungeon Master - and this is it! 1 point deducted for the maps being just a little small (but that is being really niggley).
  9. May 4, 2012
    Six words: Like Dungeon Master with updated graphics. If this makes sense to you, then this may well prove to be a nostalgic experience. If not, then definitely try before you buy.
  10. May 3, 2012
    Let's get this straight. Some features that improve simplicity in the newer generation games are necessary and they are a very welcome improvement over the past. I know we want to be nostalgic, but gaming has improved so much over the years. This game is therefore rendered outdated.
  11. May 2, 2012
    Now here is a game, as gamer modern games are made too easy for players and lack challenge even at highest possible difficulty. Legend of Grimrock is very welcome exceptional game among modern hack'n'slash rpg. Quite few new games has to offer such headaching frustration puzzle solving as LoG. I personaly just love this one with all the heart, simple yet extremely entertaining and cheap.Now here is a game, as gamer modern games are made too easy for players and lack challenge even at highest possible difficulty. Legend of Grimrock is very welcome exceptional game among modern hack'n'slash rpg. Quite few new games has to offer such headaching frustration puzzle solving as LoG. I personaly just love this one with all the heart, simple yet extremely entertaining and cheap. There is no way around it that LoG is a miracle in game industry. You don't need fanzy large scale ragdoll boosted open map to have great rpg. In a word, a game suited for IQ 130+. Expand
  12. May 1, 2012
    Dungeon Master is one of my all time favourites so this close homage was bound to resonate with me. But it's so much better than I hoped and represents fantastic value for money into the bargain. A triumph for indie games given that it appears to have been created entirely by a team 4.
  13. May 1, 2012
    Nice game.
    Not much to say really: It uses old mechanic's; It is nostalgic; Puzzles are hard, but not "screw it!_let's_see_how_this_riddle_is_solved_on_the_internet" hard.
    Overall - 8 out of 10. It would be 9, but this kind of games grew out of my habit.
  14. Apr 30, 2012
    I agree that spell casting is seriously flawed. And there're not enough interesting spells. But I still love the feeling of the dungeon crawling and the puzzles.
  15. Apr 30, 2012
    Legend of Grimrock is pretty neat, dungeons are really good detail, puzzles are fun, AMBIANCE SOUNDTRACK. Combat is tricky and very slow at times, but everything else redeems that. This game is probably the closest you'll get to playing DnD in video game format (except for Neverwinter Nights, maybe). The best part is that there are constant updates, and many things still to be added.Legend of Grimrock is pretty neat, dungeons are really good detail, puzzles are fun, AMBIANCE SOUNDTRACK. Combat is tricky and very slow at times, but everything else redeems that. This game is probably the closest you'll get to playing DnD in video game format (except for Neverwinter Nights, maybe). The best part is that there are constant updates, and many things still to be added. Definitely worth the cheap $15, and an easy 10/10. Expand
  16. Apr 30, 2012
    One of the best features of the LoG is its respect for the player's intelligence. The game style may not be for everyone, but anyone tired of games telling them 'press LS to move' might enjoy a break with some interesting puzzles, strategic combat and old school RPG fun. The game is not overly hard, and may only lightly challenge veterans of games such as Bard's Tale or the old AD&DOne of the best features of the LoG is its respect for the player's intelligence. The game style may not be for everyone, but anyone tired of games telling them 'press LS to move' might enjoy a break with some interesting puzzles, strategic combat and old school RPG fun. The game is not overly hard, and may only lightly challenge veterans of games such as Bard's Tale or the old AD&D games, but amid the wash of glorified cut scenes that modern gaming has become, this is a rare and brilliant gem. Expand
  17. Apr 27, 2012
    Fantastic puzzles, fun combat, and simple gameplay (not to be mistaken with hand holding, which this game does not do) creates a fun game. Great atmosphere and story makes this one of the deepest indie games I have played in a long time.
  18. Apr 27, 2012
    The new Dungeon Master is Back. Better then ever. That's what I call the ultimate Dungeon RPG!
    Hard puzzles and a great atmosphere. Can't wait for more Dungeons and Puzzles!
  19. Apr 25, 2012
    Ahh it was a great pleasure to crawl in that dungeon! It remember lot of good rememberings, with DM, EOB etc etc.
    I really have joy to play it and finished it. I think it is a little short. But the price is really short too ;)
    I hope the adventure will continue with add ons. If you loved DM style, I think you can't miss LoG!
  20. Apr 24, 2012
    Surprisingly fresh for something based on 25 years old game mechanics. Graphics are fine, ambient music wonderfully captures the sense of danger and it's just pure fun to walk through the dark corridors of Grimrock filled with enemies, secrets, deadly traps and challenging puzzles. So far the biggest surprise of this year plus a great chance for old school pc gamers to re-live someSurprisingly fresh for something based on 25 years old game mechanics. Graphics are fine, ambient music wonderfully captures the sense of danger and it's just pure fun to walk through the dark corridors of Grimrock filled with enemies, secrets, deadly traps and challenging puzzles. So far the biggest surprise of this year plus a great chance for old school pc gamers to re-live some nostalgic past experiences, as well as for younger players to grasp a bit of dungeon crawlers magic. Expand
  21. Apr 24, 2012
    The game is fantastic. It's the perfect throwback to the dungeon crawlers of old, but without feeling old. It looks gorgeous, the difficulty is spot-on (easy on "Easy", challenging on "Normal" and hard on "Hard") and the puzzles are very, very cool. If you want a challenge, I recommend playin it on "Old School Mode", but if you don't think you'd have that kind of patience, the game doesn'tThe game is fantastic. It's the perfect throwback to the dungeon crawlers of old, but without feeling old. It looks gorgeous, the difficulty is spot-on (easy on "Easy", challenging on "Normal" and hard on "Hard") and the puzzles are very, very cool. If you want a challenge, I recommend playin it on "Old School Mode", but if you don't think you'd have that kind of patience, the game doesn't become boring with the automap turned on. Almost Human found that perfect balance that most developers can't reach. You owe it to yourself to try this game. Expand
  22. Apr 24, 2012
    Chock full of old school dungeon goodness, Legend of Grimrock gives a modern twist on the grid based dungeon crawler RPG. You play as a group of 4 adventurers tossed into a pit at the top of a mountain, and you need to try to make your way out alive. I feel like it provides a perfect balance between fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, and character building. The graphics lookChock full of old school dungeon goodness, Legend of Grimrock gives a modern twist on the grid based dungeon crawler RPG. You play as a group of 4 adventurers tossed into a pit at the top of a mountain, and you need to try to make your way out alive. I feel like it provides a perfect balance between fighting, puzzles, treasure hunting, and character building. The graphics look fantastic and set the mood really well. You never know what's around the next corner, but the great sound effects of enemies moving can give you a hint. The campaign that comes with the game is fairly long, taking 10-15 hours if you rush though, but it can be much longer than that if you take your time. Also, the devs are working on a level editor which will allow the community to make an almost endless amount of new content. Expand
  23. Apr 23, 2012
    For what it is, it is a solid dungeon crawler with very well laid out puzzles and little hidden areas in the nooks and crannys of the dungeon. It just leaves a few things out that I think would make the game more enjoyable or more likely for me to play it through again.
  24. Apr 23, 2012
    Decent game for an indie, but I feel that it is over rated by the community. It is a good puzzle game, with old school grid based movements. However, the combat gets repetitive and tedious soon after playing. You will be doing this side-stepping maneuver and attack again and again in the 2x2 square when ever you fight a monster. In all, this game is probably good to stir up some nostalgiaDecent game for an indie, but I feel that it is over rated by the community. It is a good puzzle game, with old school grid based movements. However, the combat gets repetitive and tedious soon after playing. You will be doing this side-stepping maneuver and attack again and again in the 2x2 square when ever you fight a monster. In all, this game is probably good to stir up some nostalgia but nothng really more. Expand
  25. Apr 22, 2012
    AAaIF = Absolutely Amazing and Incredibly Fun

AAaIF = Absolutely Amazing and Incredibly Fun

Based on Dungeon Master game, Legend of Grimrock goes the same way as its ancestor from 1987 and adding a bit more. Starting with 4 party characters, almost naked without weapons and hope, we r cutting through stages exploring story of Grimrock behind, secret rooms, deadly traps giant crabs, pissed skeletons, hungry ogres etc... must say am new in this type of RPG and am probably fell in love with it. Of course i cant argue with "Elite Old School Gamers from past ...", but i realy like it because of great puzzles and action fighting.

BTW: Who sais copying whole idea aint gonna work? .-)
  26. Apr 22, 2012
    I absolutely love it ... it is fun, fast, has some of that just-one-more-monster feeling, game-mechanics are clear and make sense. Sure, the combat is not everyones style and some of the riddles are maddeningly complicated, but all in all, this game is great (and there are walkthroughs and char creation guides out there). Beginning my second play-through now ...
  27. Apr 22, 2012
    I haven't had as much fun in a game since Skyrim. Get it, it is such a refreshing breeze of fresh air in the polluted modern games market. The graphics are superb and the gameplay is fun. It requires intelligence and cunning to progress!
  28. Apr 20, 2012
    Despite what others might say, a fantastic value at 14$, with the promise of user mod content and new campaigns I find it a striking value for dungeon crawl enthusiasts.

I would suggest however purchasing from GoG where you receive a DRM-free standalone as opposed to the steam version. On to the game itself; BORDERLESS WINDOWS!, absolutely necessarily in any game for those who use dual

On to the game itself; BORDERLESS WINDOWS!, absolutely necessarily in any game for those who use dual monitors and is a simple toggle in the game. It's nice to see a relatively low budget game run naively in a borderless window at 1080p. Some AAA games don't even have that feature.

The gameplay revolves around puzzle solving and dungeon fighting, kind-of like a real time turnbased game if that makes sense.
    It brings fond memories of tabletop games like D&D, take a look at some of the excellent video walkthroughs to see if its a game you would buy though, as it is not for everyone.
  29. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is a nostalgia trip. It utilizes similar gameplay that you would find with old dungeon crawler games but with modern age graphics, and surprisingly it works very well.
  30. Apr 19, 2012
    A brilliant game in the spirit of the Eye of the Beholder series that captures all of the puzzle-solving, action, and adventure of the games in this genre of the RPG with a graphical update and a new system of character generation and development. Legend of Grimrock improves on the formula by adding small touches like automatically picking up throwing daggers/stones/arrows that you haveA brilliant game in the spirit of the Eye of the Beholder series that captures all of the puzzle-solving, action, and adventure of the games in this genre of the RPG with a graphical update and a new system of character generation and development. Legend of Grimrock improves on the formula by adding small touches like automatically picking up throwing daggers/stones/arrows that you have fired when walking over them. I have a few complaints about the game, namely the inability to swap between ranged and hand-to-hand fighting without rummaging around in your inventory to swap weapons in and out of the action bar while monsters are fast approaching/beating your face in. I feel they would've been better served having sets of items to equip which you can swap between with a base amount of time required to switch. Inventory management gets tedious due to the weight management system and sometimes having to throw items you might want to keep makes for long pauses in the action. Overall a great game, and definitely worth the $15 asking price. Expand

1. Hyper Magazine
    Jun 13, 2012
    A relic of the RPG's golden era, revived and refined for the modern age. [July 2012, p.71]
  2. May 30, 2012
    Classic dungeon-crawling brought back to life. [June 2012, p.52]
  3. Games Master UK
    May 28, 2012
    A delightfully nostalgic, but harsh, RPG treat, oozing old school charm. [July 2012, p.90]