Legends of Dawn PC

4.5

1. Jan 19, 2014
    Well. I think sometimes we have to accept that game design is a very complex and demanding science. This is a young and inexperienced team learning the ropes the hard way. They have about 30 years of accumulated programming wisdom to absorb in a short amount of time. Patches suggest that they ARE learning, and this lesson in 'how to make a game' IS being learned. Buy it on sale and don'tWell. I think sometimes we have to accept that game design is a very complex and demanding science. This is a young and inexperienced team learning the ropes the hard way. They have about 30 years of accumulated programming wisdom to absorb in a short amount of time. Patches suggest that they ARE learning, and this lesson in 'how to make a game' IS being learned. Buy it on sale and don't expect too much. We can all of us learn something new. This game has been an interesting window on the steep learning curve faced by a new development team. Buy the game and support them. Where the game is underwhelming find why and offer constructive criticism. Support developers and there is every chance this team will later surprise you by making the game we all really want to play.

Orctowngrot.
  2. Aug 22, 2013
    I bought this game and immediately regretted it. It's in Alpha state and definitely not worth a buy. Under the new review system it gets a yellow score but that is code for BAD. Really bad.

Question for the developers: WHY did you try to make your own engine? The original NWN engine was so much better than this and that is over 10 years old. Legends of Dawn is a bad beta of a mediocre game using a HOPELESS engine. At present my version freezes when you attempt to quit out. So it is also BUGGY software. DO NOT BUY! at this time. Wait for some updates and a further price reduction. The game appears to offer some potential. The writing looks promising the graphics are passable, and we can sense the desire to reboot something like the old isometric RPG feel. Crafting looks good indeed applause to the developers for clearly having lots of good ideas. However, beyond that the programming appears to be hopelessly amateurish. The camera is poor and lacks sufficient zoom out. WASD controls are ABSOLUTELY WRONG for this game which should use mouse clicks for movement. Race options are limited, and playing as a single character seems simply unambitious compared with ten year old games that allowed a whole party. Clearly there hasn't been enough testing and refining of the basic engine mechanics, which will be clear to anyone if you walk your charcter into the water. There is definitely no swimming in the game, and your character will continue walking on the bottom of the lake until drowned. Since we can play ALL the classic isometric games from GOG and THEY all work properly and have sterling engines, why waste out money and time here? DAO, Skyrim and Witcher 2 all have wonderful engines, why would anyone want to endure this one? Suggest that the developers use another engine as the vehicle for their grand ideas. Unistalled this POS and won't reinstall it unless I hear things have improved a LOT in the near future. We all understand that it's hard being indie. That's life though guys. I'm gonna give you my honest score now.

3. Jun 30, 2013
    This is not a perfect game but a really fun one. The graphics and music are ok, but the gameplay does it really for me. Things like the camera and the controls are a bit buggy but ok. For the price I can recommend it.
  4. Jun 30, 2013
    This game promised a different experience and it delivered. The world is deep and the lore is rich for a new game universe, but this game is not for the casual gamer. The Devs are working on UI and control issues and I am keenly awaiting the next patch. Keep in mind this is not a AAA production house no millions spent on programmers so dont expect Skyrim. I love the fact that the game doesThis game promised a different experience and it delivered. The world is deep and the lore is rich for a new game universe, but this game is not for the casual gamer. The Devs are working on UI and control issues and I am keenly awaiting the next patch. Keep in mind this is not a AAA production house no millions spent on programmers so dont expect Skyrim. I love the fact that the game does not just give you the solutions to its missions, it makes you think so be warned.

Give the game a try, if you like classic RPGs give it a chance, very immersive spell making system once you figure it out.
  5. Jun 30, 2013
    A diamond in the rough. I am enjoying this game. The more I get into it, the more I like it. Yes there are some issues, and it lacks a lot of polish, but if you can get past these issues the game itself is quite engaging.

Do not expect this game to hold you by the hand and point out where to go, or what to do. You are dumped into this world and you are on your own to figure things out which is not for everyone I know, but this is a part of why this game is becoming more endearing to me the more I play.

Alright lets address some of the game issues the controls are not what you are used to, for a top down isometric. There is not point and click movement (yet the devs are looking into implementing this), movement is WASD (personally I mapped this to a gamepad using xpadder). The screen rotates by right clicking and holding and it is sort of awkward as the right mouse button is also used for virtually all actions as well. As of right now this is a little buggy if you rotate the camera and pass the cursor over an interactive item or an open menu it gets stuck until you click the mouse again. This is a minor annoyance once you know how to avoid it, and is also one the devs are aware of and are looking to patch.

The quest dialogues are sketchy and not well translated or organized, and in some instances confusing. There are some quirks there. For example one very early quest has you fetching beer for a drunken individual. In the dialogue he implores you not to tattle to someone what you are doing. When you hand the quest in, regardless of whether you warn this person or not he tells you off for narcing him out. These are annoyances, yes, but ones that I can look past, and ones that I imagine will be straightened out in time.

The graphics are not pretty, do not expect eye candy from this game it is not what it is about. It was billed as an old school game, and that is what it looks and feels like.

I am sure there are a few other quirks I am overlooking such as leaving you to figure out some game mechanics on your own such as identifying magic items (what a joy it was to discover how to do this!), and learning what effect certain foods or potions have by trying them out yourself. I have seen many people also having issues figuring out how to open locked containers, it is explained in the manual, but not in game. Basically there are sets of different colored tiles (runes) with multiple icons on them, when you open a locked container there is a grid of symbols with 2 highlighted, and you need to make a bridge between these highlighted symbols using the runes in your inventory. The catch is that each lock has a certain color associated with it, and you have to use the runes of the correct color on that container. Runes are picked up by looting, and at first your "kit" is quite incomplete, but as time goes on you get more tiles to work with and are able to open more locked containers.

Creating spells also uses runes, each rune corresponds to a certain effect. For example there is one rune with a symbol of fire on it, and then another with a heart on it. You select the spell type (protection, missile, or ward) and add up to six of these runes into the spell. The more runes you use the more faith it requires to cast the spell (faith is used as you would expect mana in other games). Using a fire rune in a protect spell gives you protection against fire, using the heart rune in the same gives you added vitality combining them gives you both in the same spell. Using the same runes in a missile spell will give fire damage to your foe and lower its vitality, while a ward would do fire damage over time and lower the vitality of the mob in the area covered by the ward spell. The ability to design a wide array of customized spells quickly and intuitively is a great aspect to this game IMO.

I have not played enough yet to see how vast the world is, but there is joy in exploration, and in discovering things as you go. If you are a game player who likes to explore and check out every nook and cranny this game will be right up your alley. If you are not, then you may want to give this game a pass.

All in all, I find this game to be a good time killer, getting past the first part of it and accepting its quirks is difficult. This game is not for everybody, but the more I get into it, the more I find myself liking it. Yes there are many things that still need ironed out in this game, but despite this there is a solid framework and a lot of potential here. It is a small indie team that developed this game, and from what I am reading they are working diligently on ironing out the kinks and delivering a product that satisfies their player base. For now it does feel like you are playing a beta version of the game, but if isometric RPG's that do not hold your hand are up your alley, it is worth looking at or coming back in a few weeks after there is some more polish on this gem.
  6. Sep 16, 2013
    I would have liked to give a nice score to this game, as I was pretty eager to play it. But in the first couple of hours I couldn't enjoy the game, no matter how hard I tried to.

Moving is not so easy (a bit unpleasant I'd say) and the camera doesn't help. There is no autosave (if there's, I couldn't find it), such a bad move with all those glitches and bugs It kept crashing and I had to redo things again and again, not very fun.. in the end I closed the game and never opened it again.

I really hope they'll fix everything one day so we can play this title at its full potential, a very big one.
    5 because it can become a great game but it has a long way to go.

Waiting for patches guys!!
  7. Sep 16, 2013

5 because it can become a great game but it has a long way to go.

Waiting for patches guys!!

1. CD-Action
    Oct 16, 2013
    An apology is in order to everyone who fell for the promises on Kickstarter and paid for this ruin of a game. [11/2013, p.76]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Sep 19, 2013
    A crappy system, technologically speaking it's an unfinished, irritating, and every now and then arrogant action RPG, with flaws as merits, demonstrating how to not make a game. [Issue#232]
  3. Aug 28, 2013
    In all aspects this is a substandard action RPG that will maybe come up with better evaluation someday thanks to its patches and updates bombardment. But in this very moment the game is just sadly watching its better fellows from below.