8.0

1. Sep 10, 2011
    This is a really fun and beautifully designed game yet it has some serious flaws. First off, it's way too short, even for a budget title. After beating the game, Steam had my playtime logged at 69 minutes. That means this game actually costs more to play per minute than your typical bloated. big-budget title. My biggest complaint about professional and amateur reviewers is that they pay soThis is a really fun and beautifully designed game yet it has some serious flaws. First off, it's way too short, even for a budget title. After beating the game, Steam had my playtime logged at 69 minutes. That means this game actually costs more to play per minute than your typical bloated. big-budget title. My biggest complaint about professional and amateur reviewers is that they pay so little attention to cost. The professionals get the games for free, so I guess they have an excuse. But it is an important consideration. This is a good game but only for a much lower cost. I would price it at $5.00. Another factor relating to cost is that it has virtually no replay value. But that is typical for puzzle games.

The other serious flaw is that many of the puzzles are entirely unsatisfying. You might think you are solving puzzles at first but at some point you realize you are just taking shots in the dark. Some of the puzzles are not possible to solve until after you've died at least once. My favorite part of playing a puzzle game is trying really hard not to die the first time. This doesn't happen often, but I just feel deflated as soon as I realize there was no way I could have solved it the first time no matter how carefully I thought it out beforehand. You can tell how good a puzzle is by how high you throw you hands up in the air once you finally solve it or are told the solution and say, "Ah, jeeze! How did I not see that to begin with? It's so obvious now!" Many of these puzzle will just leave you shrugging with indifference making this game more of a metaphor for life (and perhaps the afterlife) than I would care for. But it is still a fun game. It just doesn't live up to the absurd amount of hype buzzing around it. I would give it a much higher rating if the price were much lower.
  2. Sep 29, 2011
    I really don't understand why everyone is calling this game a masterpiece.
    The graphics are unique and they work. The puzzle solving is pretty clever but it's nothing special. The sounds work for the game but there really aren't any. There's no music throughout, only ambient sounds here and there. The game is fun and surely worth playing but even at the low price of 10â
  3. Aug 8, 2011
    "YOU MUST DIE TO SEE HOW TO DO THE NEXT PUZZLE!"
    Honestly, the game have a very brilliant graphics, nice physics and is very scary.
    After an hour of playing, the game become very hard and is really frustrating to do next puzzles. In most cases you have to die to know how the puzzle can be solved.
  4. Dec 15, 2011
    This game is the most heavily overrated of the century. On most puzzles you are pretty much FORCED TO DIE to figure out how to solve it. The only reason why this game takes 3 hours to beat instead of 1 hour is because the "puzzles" are 'haha you died, retry!" in your face, and it is insulting. Honestly making the puzzles 'hard' took little creativity whatsoever. The developing thinksThis game is the most heavily overrated of the century. On most puzzles you are pretty much FORCED TO DIE to figure out how to solve it. The only reason why this game takes 3 hours to beat instead of 1 hour is because the "puzzles" are 'haha you died, retry!" in your face, and it is insulting. Honestly making the puzzles 'hard' took little creativity whatsoever. The developing thinks they are being 'smart' but really there is no way we are supposed to know how to solve most of the puzzles without dying. You cannot even change the controls(result of lazy programming). The spider part was literally the only part I enjoyed, and the atmosphere and sounds were spooky, that was a plus. The cool lightning effect could vary at least once in a while. Seriously, it was not worth the $2.50 it was on sale for. This is not a troll post, or a hate post, I am being serious. I seriously had to quit in the middle of the game because it was so stupid and annoying. Expand
  5. Nov 1, 2011
    a wonderful and delightful newgrounds flash game, worthy of note for it's dark, lonely setting and beautiful monochrome art style. While gameplay is over all a simple platformer (you'll never do any actions more intuitive than pushing/pulling objects and levers) and the game is SHORT, with a playtime of two hours and thirty minutes, this is still an impressive showing from the FREE FLASHa wonderful and delightful newgrounds flash game, worthy of note for it's dark, lonely setting and beautiful monochrome art style. While gameplay is over all a simple platformer (you'll never do any actions more intuitive than pushing/pulling objects and levers) and the game is SHORT, with a playtime of two hours and thirty minutes, this is still an impressive showing from the FREE FLASH GAME genre. Expand
  6. Jul 19, 2012
    This game is highly overrated in my opinion. The art style is memorable certainly, but the game is a precision platform puzzler. The very nature of the art style (black and white, blurry effects) means the art style itself inhibits gameplay by putting things in the foreground in your way, and it not being entirely clear is something is going to kill you or not. THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING. AThis game is highly overrated in my opinion. The art style is memorable certainly, but the game is a precision platform puzzler. The very nature of the art style (black and white, blurry effects) means the art style itself inhibits gameplay by putting things in the foreground in your way, and it not being entirely clear is something is going to kill you or not. THIS IS NOT A GOOD THING. A good puzzle platformer should be able to be completed without many deaths if you can actually sit back and think what you're going to do: eg. braid. With limbo, so many of the puzzles simply cannot be attempted first life because they usually result in instant death just finding out what the obstacle is. For example. I see 2 spike traps attached to ropes above me. I have no idea when they will trigger and swing at me. I have no idea the length of rope on the spike trap, so it is pretty much impossible to estimate it's range or If I can outrun it arcing behind me. my only option is to just run in blind and see what happens. Admittedly, the game does allow you to respawn after death fairly close to where you died. Unfortunately the art style also shoots the game in the foot again because the game is simply not that interesting to look at. Yes I agree that vague black shapes that look like giant spiders would be "scarier" than an actual rendered giant spider, but when you start re-using the giant spider for the 15th time, it kinda loses the effect somewhat.
    The game is very short, it took me about 80-90 minutes to complete it, and there is little- no replay value. What's the point in replaying a puzzle platformer if you know where to go and what the puzzles are?

There is virtually no music at all in the game, just ambient sound effects. In my mind this is just pure laziness. Yes, no music gives an eerie atmosphere, but music can do so much more, and can create any kind of atmosphere you want to create, eg cave story.
    I suspect most people are rating this game highly simply because it's something different and unique, which is fine, god knows we don't need more Call of duty's and Battlefields, but please actually take into account other things apart from how unique the game is, especially as the majority of inde titles created have a unique aspect to it.
  7. Sep 5, 2011
    The people giving this game 8+ are giving it for the novelty of the game, not for its actual value. Here's my take on the good and the bad:

Everyone will like: good eerie visuals and sound make an excellent atmosphere, some of the puzzles are creative. Some will like: Gruesome and gory deaths, horrific enemies, a few gross puzzle solutions What makes this game suck: Very short,

What makes this game suck: Very short, not worth $10, should be $5 at the most. I finished it in 3-4 hours. Over half of the puzzles require you to die at least once to see how to solve them (robs you of ever feeling like you are smart and adaptive when you have to die to say "oh yeah, thats not going to work!). Half the puzzles arent even puzzles, they are just idiotic reflex / timing/jumping challenges.

Summary: Nice idea, failure in execution making this game.
  8. Oct 10, 2012
    It's difficult to quantify my frustration with this "game." Honestly, Microsoft did a wonder on their Xbox controllers because if they were any cheaper, I'd have been buying a new controller. I rage-quit several times during my play-through.

I don't consider myself stupid, so I have to assume this game is intended for people "less bound by the parameters of perfection" (to borrow a line--in jest of course). Or perhaps it's a cultural thing. I prefer to feel like I'm winning a game and/or accomplishing small feats versus simply dragging my lifeless corpse through to the bitter end.

How is mandatory and repetitive death supposed to equate puzzle solving? Quick answer: it doesn't. It is simply trial-and-error memorization of sequences. That's not how puzzles are solved. Puzzles require taking a step back and looking at the pieces available to you. Usually all the pieces you need to solve a section of a puzzle are immediately available or at least recognizable. Most of the time you aren't even aware of the scope of a sequence until you've died at about 3 or more points in the same sequence.

Enough about the "puzzles". Let's talk story. There is none. I found out more about the story reading the synopsis here on Metacritic than I did playing the actual game. Does that tell you how poor the narrative is? I imagine in order to reach the widest audience and avoid localization work, fees, etc. the developers simply opted not to have anything other than UI for text/dialogue.

This shows a gross level of disregard for one of the key attractors for games in general but also incompetence to understand the fundamentals of building what one would claim is a game. Sure, it's been done before, but usually there is an overwhelmingly stunning performance of another aspect of the game that either negates or marginalizes the lack of story. Fighting and racing games come to mind, but both offer clear goals and rewards for player accomplishments.

Both also offer clear control schemes which also was sadly lacking. Bringing us to controls, they are retarded--in the purest sense of the word. You would expect to be able to sprint in a game so reliant on timing for its "action" sequences. But no, an ambulatory, happy-go-lucky trot (strange considering the overarching tone) is the default pace and fastest you'll move beyond falling. You're only other means of interaction with the world is to scale ledges, drag boxes, swing on ropes, and throw switches; hardly an exhaustive list, especially for a "puzzle" game.

Even this game's detractors concede that the graphics are good or at least artistically significant. Original, I'll grant it, but also annoying. Much of the shock and puzzlement rely upon the complete lack of color to differentiate assets, scenery, and traps. Some are blatantly obvious, such as giant sawblades, while others are indistinguishable from scenery until you venture into them, like bear-traps in ankle-high grass. I'd hardly call that artistic. Fiendish is far more appropriate.

For redeeming qualities, you have unlimited lives, and abundant checkpoints that prevent you from chucking your machine out the nearest window. But another downer to the unlimited lives is the nagging "in-your-face" pause between respawns to rub your face in the developer induced failures you're suffering.

TLDR: this blasphemy of a game is not worth the bandwidth cost of downloading it. Watch it on YouTube and be grateful there are so many other games to play that don't require anger management or suicide prevention hotlines.
  9. Sep 30, 2011
    I was firstly enthralled by the gruesome solutions to the puzzles at the start of the game, but then quickly grew bored of repeatedly dying and having to complete timing challenges over and over; after which I was greatly snubbed by how poor the ending was.

I paid £7 for this game. It wasn't worth the money.
  10. Nov 9, 2011
    Ill give this game 3 points for the nice and refreshing graphics...but that was all the good that was there to say about it... Lets start : 1. This game costs 10 euros on steam, which is a pure disaster for a game that will enjoy you about 2 hours until you´re finished, if you want something dark, play the binding of isaac 2. the puzzles are lame at best. some are pretty easy,Ill give this game 3 points for the nice and refreshing graphics...but that was all the good that was there to say about it... Lets start : 1. This game costs 10 euros on steam, which is a pure disaster for a game that will enjoy you about 2 hours until you´re finished, if you want something dark, play the binding of isaac 2. the puzzles are lame at best. some are pretty easy, and for some you just have to die to see how they´re being solved. that´s all of the magic...i can´t understand all the fuzz about the game, the graphics are nice,sure, but this game is not worth a metascore of 89 nor a userscore of 8.0, it´s worth to be categorized as a longer tech demo for a ridiculous prize Expand
  11. Dec 6, 2011
    I was completely absorbed this Limbo makes an atmosphere are dark, weird, sad and breathing. It's an excellent point that I can intuitively understand to run, jump, escape, pull, push before something do, in spite of I reached there and played for the first time. But it's only games the early stage. There is no difference between the free flash game like a puzzle action and this game ofI was completely absorbed this Limbo makes an atmosphere are dark, weird, sad and breathing. It's an excellent point that I can intuitively understand to run, jump, escape, pull, push before something do, in spite of I reached there and played for the first time. But it's only games the early stage. There is no difference between the free flash game like a puzzle action and this game of after the middle stages.
    I think the best way is this game get finished all too soon after hardly run, hardly escape, hardly find to the way that we have to go. I feel it doesn't match this atmosphere that I must stop to solve the gimmick.
    I forgot a main goal on the way.
    But... I hope no Limbo 2 is made.
  12. Jan 5, 2014
    The only reason I'm rating this a 'zero' instead of a 'three' is because the overall score is far too high. I purchased this game for its unique art style and because I wanted a good puzzle game that made me think. However, I am not a fan of dying every five-to-thirty seconds in order to figure out the next puzzle. It turns what, in my view, should be an interesting puzzle game into aThe only reason I'm rating this a 'zero' instead of a 'three' is because the overall score is far too high. I purchased this game for its unique art style and because I wanted a good puzzle game that made me think. However, I am not a fan of dying every five-to-thirty seconds in order to figure out the next puzzle. It turns what, in my view, should be an interesting puzzle game into a 1990s NES platformer. Seriously, the last time I died this often was when I played Ninja Turtles 1. This game is far from what I'd call an "indie masterpiece". It's cheap, it's gimmicky, it's a waste of money. Expand
  13. bts
    Feb 25, 2012
    I just got to be a member to critic this game :) What a bore. Not a test of intelligence but your keyboard skills. The game is all about timing your jumps and holds. That's it. Yes there are puzzles, but they are not that difficult, but only a matter of sequencing your key presses. If you don't you repeat it again. This is like a pinball with no colors and endless life. I think II just got to be a member to critic this game :) What a bore. Not a test of intelligence but your keyboard skills. The game is all about timing your jumps and holds. That's it. Yes there are puzzles, but they are not that difficult, but only a matter of sequencing your key presses. If you don't you repeat it again. This is like a pinball with no colors and endless life. I think I got fed up with doing the same things over and over and timing my key presses. Is this supposed to be fun? Challenging your intelligence? Or just an easy way to keep you busy and think as if you have accomplished something at the end? This type of gaming should end sometime because this is more like self torture rather than entertainment. Expand
  14. Jul 9, 2013
    A fairly overrated game with a fantastic art style. It is a game with only one real flaw, and that is the insanely short length. I beat it in 45 minutes. As the negative reviews all say, it should have been 5 bucks. The puzzles are extremely easy, and if you pay attention, you will never die. I beat the game (on both areas) dying a total of 3 times. Once when I screwed up the platforming,A fairly overrated game with a fantastic art style. It is a game with only one real flaw, and that is the insanely short length. I beat it in 45 minutes. As the negative reviews all say, it should have been 5 bucks. The puzzles are extremely easy, and if you pay attention, you will never die. I beat the game (on both areas) dying a total of 3 times. Once when I screwed up the platforming, once on the final puzzle and once in the pitch black puzzle section where you have to rely on sound to avoid the traps.
    The people saying you need to die on multiple puzzles to find a solution are completely wrong.

Its like Dark Souls, you can predict every single trap before hand if you pay attention and know how to spot tells. Even the traps that give you 3 seconds to react are obvious before hand. It disgusts me that modern gamers still cant spot tells in games. Reminds me of Dark Souls how 90% of attacks from bosses could be figured out in 3 seconds simply by the design of the boss and the arena.

On the aethetic again, it sports a dark monochrome colour scheme, with no music except for atmospheric sounds. It also has a great physics engine and minor dust effect to give every falling block force. It is a very very good looking art style and is extremely immersive.

The narrative is minimalist. All you know is a girl (I believe it said it was your sister or something?) has gone to Limbo, and you follow her. Nothing else is said at all. If you want a complex narrative, you wont find one here.

Overall, I would have prefered it to be far far longer, and more difficult puzzles. I also would prefer that everyone look at the tells of enemies. Regardless, it has a great art style and atmosphere.
  15. Jun 4, 2012
    Infuriating and annoying, that's the only way to describe this game. Some people clearly like that, but as the game progresses and the laggy controls start to have an impact on the game it becomes unbearable. There is a nice idea in here but the implementation on PC is just no good, maybe the console version was better and this is just a bad port.
  16. Nov 23, 2012
    Meh. Yes it was atmospheric.
    That got old after the 1st or second puzzle.

This played like an overgrown flash game. The puzzles were sometimes interesting, but more often than not they were trial and error tedium. (Try once, die on something you really couldn't have foreseen, try again)

Possibly worth the $2.50 but I was sick of it even during the couple hours it took to complete.
  17. Feb 3, 2013
    Great visuals and very beautiful. However in my opinion it feels like a trial and error game, though some puzzles you could think before hand, many of the other times you just die in order to know what to do next. I found myself rather bored at this game. I am surprised at the highscore this game gets.
  18. Oct 10, 2012
    I thoroughly disliked this game. I only play it when my internet is out or something. It's very boring and could honestly be played on an iPhone or something. The quality is not very good and they went overboard with the art style. Disappointing, but at least it was only five bucks.
  19. Jun 1, 2012
    Play the demo first! This game is literally so dry and boring that a five minute demo will simulate the entire experience. There are two mechanics to this game (jumping and moving objects) and they are so repetitive that the game almost plays itself. Sure, the use of a physics engine adds a little something to the game, but it's almost entirely aesthetic. I will say that the artistic stylePlay the demo first! This game is literally so dry and boring that a five minute demo will simulate the entire experience. There are two mechanics to this game (jumping and moving objects) and they are so repetitive that the game almost plays itself. Sure, the use of a physics engine adds a little something to the game, but it's almost entirely aesthetic. I will say that the artistic style is unique and the choice of having only ambient sound is interesting, but with no story to speak of the game simply isn't entertaining for more than twenty or thirty minutes. Expand
  20. Jan 2, 2013
    I bought this game for only 2,5
  21. Jun 2, 2012
    Dull, short and easy. The sounds, although atmospheric, I felt added nothing of real value to the game, it may as well have been silent, the only saving grace for this game is the art direction. Not worth the full retail price and I'm glad I got it in the humble bundle on the cheap.
  22. Feb 28, 2012
    I'll echo sentiments already written previously by saying...NO THANK YOU!!! This game is trial by death, single-handedly deriving the worst end case for a gamer into an endless roulette of repetition. I can appreciate the aesthetic choices made to this game, which is why it's not a total loss...but gameplay always comes first, and it is simply. not. fun.
  23. Jun 1, 2012
    Sadly, this game is an utter disappointment. When I saw the steam advertisements, I was expecting a dark work of art that would be engrossing as much in environment as in depth. This game fails miserably at both fronts, and I've been completely shot down with expectations for it. What others have said is entirely true - the game is far too short and overpriced even if you do enjoy it.Sadly, this game is an utter disappointment. When I saw the steam advertisements, I was expecting a dark work of art that would be engrossing as much in environment as in depth. This game fails miserably at both fronts, and I've been completely shot down with expectations for it. What others have said is entirely true - the game is far too short and overpriced even if you do enjoy it. While the art is fascinating initially, it quickly wears off after the first 20 or so times you die...in the first 10 minutes of the game. Marketed as a puzzle platformer, its more like, SURPRISE! YOU DIED! And now you can easily avoid the same trap thanks to you DYING to see it. That is not a puzzle, and it ruins the sense of environment because you are staring at the same obstacle over and over again due to traps you couldn't possibly foresee. The puzzles aren't very creative, original or difficult, and dying over and over again from peek-a-boo-guaranteed-death traps seems more like the developer sadism for no good reason. It does not give you the sense of environment, that the place is a dark hellhole and you should be afraid of it (what I feel like would have been a far better approach)...instead I found myself incredibly annoyed at repeated deaths over and over, disrupting my absorption of the presentation. When seeing corpses and such, instead of thinking, "wow grim"...it was more like "why is this stupid kid so damn slow". I stopped caring at all about the art and just remained focused on progressing, leaving me with half-assed "puzzles" to mow down. There really is no saving grace to this game. First half is the best half, and mostly lackluster after 30 minutes or so, while the second half tries harder "puzzles" and far more instant-kill traps. Gameplay is all about patience and timing due to the avatar's lack of mobility and fragility. I honestly think you could get a better game by roughly combining the game mechanics of Portal 2 and Doom 3 "decorative carnage" randomly smushed together with a random formula. Not missing anything by passing this one up. Expand
  24. Jun 4, 2012
    I'm going to get burned alive for this but this game is incredibly pretentious and boring. Some of the puzzles have clever mechanics but so many of them are glorified trial-and-error that you're essentially forced to die a few times just in order to figure out what it is you're supposed to do - it's artificial difficulty at its most blatant. PLAYDEAD was obviously aware of this consideringI'm going to get burned alive for this but this game is incredibly pretentious and boring. Some of the puzzles have clever mechanics but so many of them are glorified trial-and-error that you're essentially forced to die a few times just in order to figure out what it is you're supposed to do - it's artificial difficulty at its most blatant. PLAYDEAD was obviously aware of this considering that despite how incredibly short the game was - at a stretch you'll complete the entire thing including most of the achievements within 3-4 hours and unless you're absolutely dead-set on clearing off achievements tables there's no reason to play through it again afterward - there are checkpoints EVERYwhere for when you inevitably run into a situation you can't possibly avoid dying from without knowing what to do beforehand. For such basic controls they're very sloppy when employed with a keyboard, especially late in the game when you start getting flipped around in all kinds of crazy directions. Maybe the respond better with a gamepad, if so fair enough. The art style is okay, although PLAYDEAD apparently can't resist the opportunity to cram in as many opportunities as possible to go "Hey, look at this grimdark subject matter in our game that we're never going to bother to even attempt to contextualize! See there are people hanging from a tree in a background, go forth and fill 50 pages worth of forum posts with your hipster friends about what Freudian implications are being suggested!" I get that people are for whatever reason getting a raging boner over how 'artsy' the game is, but it just comes off as pseudointellectual masturbation put it just for the sake of getting people to over-analyze absolutely everything about the game. I guess if somebody can literally piss into a jar and have it be it art simply because the artist declares it so, why not LIMBO too? I got this as part of the Humble Bundle for a buck so it's not like I can say I was ripped off, but I'd have been very upset had I actually paid ten dollars for this. Expand
  25. Jan 12, 2013
    Unbelievably disappointing. I thought this was going to be similar to the Flash game Coma -- another side-scroller with great and bizarre art -- with plenty of room to explore the world of the game. Instead, this turned into a run-of-the-mill platformer within the first half hour. As has been pointed out here many times, the game tests your patience for trial and error, not puzzle solving,Unbelievably disappointing. I thought this was going to be similar to the Flash game Coma -- another side-scroller with great and bizarre art -- with plenty of room to explore the world of the game. Instead, this turned into a run-of-the-mill platformer within the first half hour. As has been pointed out here many times, the game tests your patience for trial and error, not puzzle solving, and suffers from sluggish or unintuitive controls. Worse, though, is having any atmosphere or (loose) narrative constantly interrupted by pointless deaths from missed jumps. That's really unfortunate, since the first half hour is chilling and enjoyable at the same time, but that mood begins to get killed (literally) over and over again. Expand
  26. Mar 21, 2013
    I love a challenging game. This was challenging, but not in a intellectual way more like a 'how-patiently-can-you-keep-trying-to-jump-this-ledge-before-you-lose-your-mind' kind of way. The constant dying and re-dying ruined the pace and flow, and I just never felt like I got into it.

1. Jan 10, 2012
    Limbo is a beautiful, intense experience.
  2. Sep 19, 2011
    A brilliant indie platformer. Braid can finally retire. [October 2011, p.100]
  3. Sep 15, 2011
    Minimum effort, maximum tension!