Lock On: Modern Air Combat PC

• Release Date: Jul 26, 2005
7.5

1. GarrethW.
    Dec 17, 2003
    This game is superb, admittedly theres a few bugs here and there but it is playable out of the box, whether you want to fly around and practice landing or takeoffs, shooting air/ground targets, or maybe get into the campaigns and fly one of the 8 aircraft available this game is for you...Its been a while since I played a modern flight sim with such depth and even then only one flyable This game is superb, admittedly theres a few bugs here and there but it is playable out of the box, whether you want to fly around and practice landing or takeoffs, shooting air/ground targets, or maybe get into the campaigns and fly one of the 8 aircraft available this game is for you...Its been a while since I played a modern flight sim with such depth and even then only one flyable aircraft to play in. This is one of those games you hope will have lots of expansions because its visually superb to play and watch. A few people moan about the specs and the graphics detail adjustments being ineffective but with a patch it should hopefully suit lower end PCs better. I even went out and brought a new Joystick (Saitek X45) and graphics card (Radeon 9800XT) because this game is an investment in terms of longevity and playability, and I want it to last as long as possible and look and play as well as possible. Its one of those games that deserves all the flight sim hardware you can get your hands on to make the experience as real and mind blowing as possible. Whether you buy this game now or in a few months I assure you it will be a worthy purchase... Expand
  2. DolAmite
    Dec 17, 2003
    Best flight sim today Falcon Was dood in its day but nothing can touch the playability for all and multiplayer ease,sure it has bugs and is system hungry but what new game is not.
  3. JohnA.
    Dec 17, 2003
    In terms of graphics and immersion...this sim is just off the scale. and complexity? --don't get me started. I get more of a rush from one afternoon flying LOMAC than I ever got flying that "other" sim.
  4. -325th-SixGun
    Dec 17, 2003
    Liking the game alot! It's a huge amont of fun especially when flying w/ all my friends online. It is a system hog, but I'm having VERY few issues w/ the game right now. It's only gonna get better. You better get a HOTAS!
  5. L.M.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Bugs aside, best flight sim to date.
  6. LuisL.
    Dec 17, 2003
    This game was obviously a huge undertaking for the developers, but I feel strongly that they came up to the task. Out of the box, this game runs exceptionally well, considering all that there is to it: combining complex graphics with flight modeling for all types of aircraft is no easy task, and patyches will certainly be needed to pull together all the elements, but when comparing to This game was obviously a huge undertaking for the developers, but I feel strongly that they came up to the task. Out of the box, this game runs exceptionally well, considering all that there is to it: combining complex graphics with flight modeling for all types of aircraft is no easy task, and patyches will certainly be needed to pull together all the elements, but when comparing to some other sims out of the box, this LO-MAC really smokes. One the bugs are squashed, this will be remembered as the best flight sim in a long, long time. Expand
  7. DaveCarpenter
    Dec 17, 2003
    Great sim I'm running it on a mid level machine and it works very well for me. I've had to back off on the graphics settings somewhat to get a reasonable frame rate but the game still looks great and runs well. Documentation is a weak point but the interface is pretty friendly.
  8. Wakner
    Dec 17, 2003
    Has the foundations for a great game ... but still a way to go in terms of bugs and immersiveness.
  9. Aries
    Dec 17, 2003
    Great gameplay... i mean real gameplay, not seen from the times of Gunship 2000 on the Amiga... Hardware requirements way too high...
  10. FULCRUMwhateva
    Dec 17, 2003
    The most complete, immersive, beautiful, fun, complex, modern combat sim ever made. OUTSTANDING!
  11. JuergenD.
    Dec 17, 2003
    This simulator will be the reference for some years to come. Flightphysics and graphics are at totally new level.
  12. KentB.
    One word....AWSOME!
  13. KarlSchmidt
    Dec 17, 2003
    THE NEW SIM-STANDARD! Fantastic graphics, real war- simulation, superb flight-feeling, powerfull editor, genius atmosphere. But be aware of the hardware requirements.
  14. RobertB.
    Dec 17, 2003
    All I can say to sum up this game is that it has turned me into a flight sim addict! I am fairly new to flight sims having only really used MS FSim5 a few years ago and only then using a basic 5 quid joystick. But since playing this game, I have not been able to put it down! I've even forked out for a Saitek X45... I couldn't help it, this title draws you in and the sunlit All I can say to sum up this game is that it has turned me into a flight sim addict! I am fairly new to flight sims having only really used MS FSim5 a few years ago and only then using a basic 5 quid joystick. But since playing this game, I have not been able to put it down! I've even forked out for a Saitek X45... I couldn't help it, this title draws you in and the sunlit clouds, fog-covered hills, planes and aircraft carriers are fantastic! Before you decide against buying this game because of the negative feedback, consider that there is a very active community for LO-MAC ensuring there will be a multitude of patches, enhancements and fixes released to perfect this wonderful game. Expand
  15. TommyF.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Good.. but..terrain should be better i think...they're not so..."photograpic"as i would like them to be. yeah...a manual...it should be in the confection.
  16. JuanL.
    Awesome.
  17. CliffT.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Amazing experience of flight, and it has all the bells, whistles and toys. An outstanding simulator. Yes, it has bugs which prevents it getting a 10, but it still can't be beat. And it runs on a wide variety of hardware as long as you dont extract the urine over how much detail you expect.
  18. AndrewL.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Best modern flight sim ever made to date.
  19. ChrisJ.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Great game for fans of military flight simulators. It models the complex systems of 8 aircraft but simplifies the controls enough that you aren't forced into a Falcon4 like click fest. Amazing graphics, don't listen to the FPS detractors. Play the game on medium settings, it still looks great and runs fine. This isn't Quake3 don't expect 300 FPS. My only complaint is Great game for fans of military flight simulators. It models the complex systems of 8 aircraft but simplifies the controls enough that you aren't forced into a Falcon4 like click fest. Amazing graphics, don't listen to the FPS detractors. Play the game on medium settings, it still looks great and runs fine. This isn't Quake3 don't expect 300 FPS. My only complaint is the skimpy documentation. I miss the big manuals of the past but I understand cost constraints. However, the PDF manual is still pretty bad. Still a highly recommended game, you wont think of anything else for months. Expand
  20. DanE.
    A+++++++
  21. RickardS.
    Dec 17, 2003
    It could be so much more than it is... Still a really good sim though.
  22. Savo4c
    Dec 17, 2003
    beautifull and enjoying a lot that revolutionary sim!
  23. AnonymousMC
    Dec 17, 2003
    This game is a bundle of joy to play and a truly amazing simulator both graphically and technically. What you get is a very detailed simulator of not one but 8 different aircraft from both NATO and ex-USSR forces, with a very high level of realism combined with a high entertainment value.
    Graphics: 10
    Even at medium settings, this game easily matches the image quality and detail
    Graphics: 10

Even at medium settings, this game easily matches the image quality and detail level of IL2:FB, the current benchmark for flight simulator graphics. Set to max this game looks nothing less than amazing, but with a definite performance impact. Like the Janes series from EA, this game was written with an intention of a LONG lifecycle and so the graphics engine was written to use the added performace of current and upcoming high-end products as well as what is common in the market today. Unless you own a radeon 9800PRO or GeForce 5900FX, setting detail to max is madness and completely wasted as your hardware was not designed to handle this amount of load. As I said the game equals or surpasses IL2:FB even on medium settings so do not let the previous sentence in any way deter you from buying this game if you do not own todays state of the art graphics processor - my own config is decidedly midrange by todays standards and I am getting 30 fps average dropping to ~15 only for short times and when things get very crowded.
    That being said, it the game could have been even more future-proof had Eagle Dynamics implemented DirectX 9.0 shader support as well - this would have added even more eye-candy in the future when those products become more prevalent.
    Sound: 8

Very high quality sound, and to a non-pilot like myself everything sounds pretty much right. You may prefer to turn up the cocpit volume a bit, to make it easier to hear your engines, gear and flap noises etc - the soundlevel you get at default setting is realistic (a fighter pilot is cocooned inside a bulletproof class canopy with a helmet and headset) but personally I feel that the exaggerated noiselevel improves the feeling of immersion.

A minor detractor is the rather sparse ambient voice comms from other aircraft - compared to Jane's FA 18, this is a bit lacking, and I do feel that those wannabe fighter jocks out there would have appreciated a more 'realistic' amount of voice comms in what is after all a combat environment, but I guess the developers chose to 'declutter' the voice comms and focus on the information relevant to the game player. Fair enough and a minor point.

Gameplay: 10

This is a tall order but I really mean it: this game is so much fun to play and has such an amazing replay value that it deserves the top rating for gameplay.
    Buyer please note: Most of the bad ratings given on this website have one thing in common: people having problems with their local OS installation and jumping to the conclusion that the game does not work at all on either Windows ME, XP, 98 etc. While there are issues that need resolving, these problems are NOT indicative of the general quality of the product. I personally run the game on WinXP on an AMD XP2400+ and GeForce 4 4600Ti with 1024MB ram, and it hasn't even crashed on me once.
  24. KenH.
    Dec 17, 2003
    Best jet sim in 5 years! Needs some fine tuning but is very deep and offers tons of replayability. I think about playing whenever I'm at work and thats a good sign.
  25. SmokinBob
    Dec 18, 2003
    At first, there were some teething pains for me as system configuration is an absolute must with a sim of the complexity and fidelity, but as the days passed, LO:MAC has turned into a nice little gem, and I am enjoying it very much. Be aware of the steep system requirements, and I know it can get frustrating, but there is help out there and I have not run into any showstoppers yet. Aside At first, there were some teething pains for me as system configuration is an absolute must with a sim of the complexity and fidelity, but as the days passed, LO:MAC has turned into a nice little gem, and I am enjoying it very much. Be aware of the steep system requirements, and I know it can get frustrating, but there is help out there and I have not run into any showstoppers yet. Aside from the poor documentation included in the box and on the CD, LO:MAC is a nice sight in what I hope will someday no longer be a niche market. The sim is a worthy successor to the Flanker Lineage, all spruced up for the 21st Century :) And who cannot resist having fun with Depleted Uranium??? The A-10 is an absolute joy to fly, and a conversation with an Air Force type told me the cockpit layout, gauges, etc. were pretty darn close to the real dea. Nice :) Although the lack of a dynamic campaign was a dissappointment, the highly detailed mission editor should help to fill in that gap. If you like flight sims, you must own LO:MAC!! Smokin Bob Expand
  26. JohnH.
    Dec 18, 2003
    A diamond in the rough, but packed with potential and definitely one to watch.
  27. ErinM.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Were it not for a few bugs it would be a 10 for sure. Definitely has the potential for a "15" after patching.
  28. CharlieW.
    Best jet sim available.
  29. DaveS.
    Great stuff!!!
  30. GavinR.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Fantastic game - runs great on AMD64.
  31. I-Me-minemine
    Dec 18, 2003
    A very good game i have been waiting for 1 year at least. But I was disappointed when I bought it because of several bugs and the need of big specs to make it run.
  32. MathieuC.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Awesome graphics, impressive flight model, great job on avionics.
  33. GaryW.
    Dec 18, 2003
    If you have not ever flown a real Fighter jet or have disired so your whole life! Lock on is as close as you will ever get. You will spend many palm sweaty hours just getting carrier landings or inflight refuleing mastered. Let alone dodging enemy missles! Beware this is a serious Jet Sim. Arcade Players will have trouble getting used to this sim. Settings can be set to tone down the If you have not ever flown a real Fighter jet or have disired so your whole life! Lock on is as close as you will ever get. You will spend many palm sweaty hours just getting carrier landings or inflight refuleing mastered. Let alone dodging enemy missles! Beware this is a serious Jet Sim. Arcade Players will have trouble getting used to this sim. Settings can be set to tone down the realism, but even though in the right perpective are not for the average arcade player! Expand
  34. MarcoU.
    Dec 18, 2003
    The best combat flight simulator around, no joke.
  35. JonathanM.
    Dec 18, 2003
    This is a high quality game in every way, but the only thing that annoys me is the amount of bugs in the game and the fps issue. Superb game but a patch is needed.
  36. ShaneS.
    Dec 18, 2003
    Excellent game! Yes it has bugs...what pice of new software doesn't? It'll be fixed, rest assured!
  37. ZiadJ.
    Rocks.
  38. Loke
    Dec 19, 2003
    This really is the sim we (flight simmers around the world) have been waiting for. Graphics are amazing, flight models very good, and it features the most beautiful plane in the world: the Su-27. One point off for the lack of dynamic campaign. However, it is said that one is being developed by a third party.
  39. BruceL.
    Dec 19, 2003
    Some people just don't get it. That's exactly why complex flight sims don't appeal to everyone. If you're not willing to make the investment don't bother purchasing the product. LOMAC delivers what it set out to do. It has the normal growing pains like all complex combat flight sims have at first. I say give it some time to mature and the sim will really shine. Some people just don't get it. That's exactly why complex flight sims don't appeal to everyone. If you're not willing to make the investment don't bother purchasing the product. LOMAC delivers what it set out to do. It has the normal growing pains like all complex combat flight sims have at first. I say give it some time to mature and the sim will really shine. It's too bad most posts are from guys who play FPS games. Expand
  40. Steve
    Dec 19, 2003
    Great sim, no real PC technical issues what so ever. But then again i havent overclocked and modded my pc beyone its usability so I shouldnt expect any either. Needs a few bug fixes, but according to reports from the Developers these are corrected in the next patch. Good feedback from the developers and crew available on their forums. This gives me a warm fuzzy as it reminds me of the IL2 Great sim, no real PC technical issues what so ever. But then again i havent overclocked and modded my pc beyone its usability so I shouldnt expect any either. Needs a few bug fixes, but according to reports from the Developers these are corrected in the next patch. Good feedback from the developers and crew available on their forums. This gives me a warm fuzzy as it reminds me of the IL2 developers involvement in making sure they have a solid and progressive software package for their customers. Cant understand some of the low ratings but given some of the descriptions it sounds like the typical whiners just doing their jobs. Good game, definately enthralling for the hard core sim fans. Expand
  41. MikeG.
    Dec 2, 2003
    Why would you rate this game if it didn't work for you? Everyone should have Win XP these days anyway. The developers worked long and hard to bring this game to the sim community, and you go and bash it because you're running an ancient system. So please if you havn't played the game, DON"T REVIEW IT!!! Anyway, i love this sim, sure it has it's fare share of bugs and Why would you rate this game if it didn't work for you? Everyone should have Win XP these days anyway. The developers worked long and hard to bring this game to the sim community, and you go and bash it because you're running an ancient system. So please if you havn't played the game, DON"T REVIEW IT!!! Anyway, i love this sim, sure it has it's fare share of bugs and it does require a monster system to have all the graphics turned up but every plane has it's own FMs and radar which are very complex. The graphics are incredible and are probably the best i've ever seen, when on a good system that is. So if you like Hardcore Sims, and you have a good system pick this game up it's a treat. Expand
  42. JuanL.
    Oct 29, 2003
    Awesome.
  43. JohnB.
    Jan 14, 2004
    The V1.01 patch is out at www.lo-mac.com. It makes a HUGE difference. Before the patch I would have given this game a 5, but after the patch is really ROCKS! I love it. I get great performance and my multiplayer problems with my Nforce chipset are no longer causing problems. It is a blast to play this multiplayer. The game is going to be a classic. Those that still complain after theThe V1.01 patch is out at www.lo-mac.com. It makes a HUGE difference. Before the patch I would have given this game a 5, but after the patch is really ROCKS! I love it. I get great performance and my multiplayer problems with my Nforce chipset are no longer causing problems. It is a blast to play this multiplayer. The game is going to be a classic. Those that still complain after the patch most likely have low end equipment. Don't make the mistake of passing this one up. Buy it , get the patch, and have fun flying jets!!!! JB Expand
  44. RevaB.
    Jan 16, 2004
    Since I got the new patch from the Lock On website (www.lo-mac.com) this game has been great! It is one of the most graphically stunning games I have ever used. Flying online is a blast, but use Hyperlobby instead of Ubi.com for joining games. I'll be playing Lock On for years. Nice job Ubi Soft.
  45. BuzzL.
    Jan 28, 2004
    I have to take exception to the people saying that the game is full of bugs. I run it just fine on my pentium 4. I have a good video card and get great performance with Lock On. The U.S. planes are fine. The A-10 rocks and while the missiles for the F-15 have a few problems, we have been told that the next patch will address the MINOR problems. I suspect that the people complaining in the I have to take exception to the people saying that the game is full of bugs. I run it just fine on my pentium 4. I have a good video card and get great performance with Lock On. The U.S. planes are fine. The A-10 rocks and while the missiles for the F-15 have a few problems, we have been told that the next patch will address the MINOR problems. I suspect that the people complaining in the pervious reviews just don't know how to configure their systems or have gear that is not able to handle higher settings. This is a great sim and it deserves the highest rating. BUZZ Expand
  46. ErikS.
    Feb 13, 2004
    I just can't understand why some people are being such crybabies about this game. I have had it for two weeks and I love it. My system is decent, I have a P4 2.4 GHz with a Radeon 9800 card and 1 Gig of RAM. I get outstanding performance with high to medium settings. I followed the advice laid out in the Read Me file that came with the game and I went to the forums on www.lo-mac.com I just can't understand why some people are being such crybabies about this game. I have had it for two weeks and I love it. My system is decent, I have a P4 2.4 GHz with a Radeon 9800 card and 1 Gig of RAM. I get outstanding performance with high to medium settings. I followed the advice laid out in the Read Me file that came with the game and I went to the forums on www.lo-mac.com where lots of people provided very helpful tips to make my performance go way up. I suspect that the whiners you see here claiming that the game is bad and poorly developed have no clue how to configure their computers to get something as complex as Lock On to run. Fine, they can all go back to PlayStation land or XBox city to go bang-bang-shoot 'em up while those of us with a degree of intelligence will be enjoying this fine simulation. Having played flight sims for years, I realize that they are not typical plug and play games and that you have to make adjustments. It is unfortunate that there are so many crying children exist in this hobby. Even if these individuals could figure out how to run the game, they wouldn't last long in the digital combat environment. The rest of us are laughing at them. Expand
  47. Bard
    Apr 13, 2004
    This is the best flight sim I have ever played. I used to be a Falcon 4.0 fan but this is now my favorite flight sim. I just want to thank the fine people at Eagle Dyanamics for their great work.
  48. Mower
    Apr 19, 2004
    I used to be a Falcon snob and insulted Lock On all the time on the various flight sim forums. I decided to finally cast off my ignorance and actually play Lock On and have since discovered it to be outstanding. I was wrong and acted like a total fool. I've come to my senses now and apologize to the flight sim community for my foolish and disruptive behavior in the past. I love Lock On!
  49. MikxieSloop
    Dec 16, 2003
    Good realistic air combat flightsim, one of the few these days. But you must have high-end hardware, what every serious simmer should have offcourse.
  50. JimM.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Great sim, but the documentation is crap...Crap...CRAP! A better manualis available for purchase, but this should have been included in the sim - duh! A diamond in the rough as someone stated already. An easy ten with a few fixes.
  51. BlitzPigSpectre
    Dec 16, 2003
    Finally a simulation of the A-10 Warthog worthy of the name. Not for quick and dirty shoot-em up types, but a thorough combat simulation. Oh, and there are a few other flyables in there also. :) Graphically beautiful, has a great "feel", and is a great challenge, for those seeking one. A new bench-mark for the combat flight sim genre...
  52. Ded_Rogatiy
    Dec 16, 2003
    Some of the issues and bugs need to be addressed, but overall an excellent game (if you have a decent system). Eye-candy graphics with most realistic avionics for each of the multiple fighters you can get out of a sim. Missing a decent manual, (Ubi Soft Publishers to blame). The one included on the CD is old and outdated.
  53. RuudG.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Stunning graphics, months (or years) of fun involved in managing the avionics / flightcharacterics. Huge potential.
  54. BillJ.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Some minor issues but overall sim is a winner. Definite must buy for hardcore simmers.
  55. BuddyA.
    The BEST
  56. GreenSweeper
    Dec 16, 2003
    This game is the best of its kind out right now. Might have something to do with no other developers having the balls to make games of this type anymore but I find myself playing only this title over all the others I own of this genre. I have read of some issues for other players but I can honestly say that it runs great on my sytem. My system is as follows: P4 2.40GHz GeForce4 Ti4600 SB This game is the best of its kind out right now. Might have something to do with no other developers having the balls to make games of this type anymore but I find myself playing only this title over all the others I own of this genre. I have read of some issues for other players but I can honestly say that it runs great on my sytem. My system is as follows: P4 2.40GHz GeForce4 Ti4600 SB Live 512DDR ASUS P4PE Like I said, this game runs great on my system with everything set to max except for water detail wich I have set at Medium. The game play is very challenging and very, very immersive. They did a great job and getting this sim as realistic as they could. I cant say enough about the graphics of this title, I really cant. Overall I give this game two thumbs up and am recommending it to all hardcore flight simmers whom I know and or run acctoss, its really that good. Expand
  57. JulioM.
    Dec 16, 2003
    It's outstanding on about every detail. Nearly the perfection on simulations.
  58. RonB.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Will take time to learn all the options but once you know how to operate them the game is great. Only problem I see is the water has to much impact on the frame rate
  59. RobN.
    Dec 16, 2003
    This is the best game I've ever played. I actually noticed a few people complaining about crashes & stuff with their gforce 4s. I guess they didn't read the readme. This IS NOT BATTLEFIELD pissclams.
  60. Victor
    Dec 16, 2003
    Exelent flight sim, what else can i say, i love it, best sim i have ever played. Game has few bugs, but very soon it all will be fixed. Have fun playing Lock on.
  61. KayronM.
    Dec 16, 2003
    The game is extremely great! Though I first thought of rating it as 10/10, I have to degrade it to 8/10 because of the many bugs, both minor & major... I realize this game is very demanding on specifications, but there have been reports from all sorts of users with all sorts of machines (including top top top of the range), that Lock On doesn't run THAT well, and by THAT well I mean The game is extremely great! Though I first thought of rating it as 10/10, I have to degrade it to 8/10 because of the many bugs, both minor & major... I realize this game is very demanding on specifications, but there have been reports from all sorts of users with all sorts of machines (including top top top of the range), that Lock On doesn't run THAT well, and by THAT well I mean that it can get to an unplayable state... For example, I can't play online or on LAN until a patch comes out that fixes the major issues Lock On has with nVidia nForce II motherboard chipsets (FPS loss & synchronization loss in LAN, and EXTREME lag online)... 8/10, for now, 10/10 when a patch or several patches come out to fix what's wrong with it! Expand
  62. StuntieS.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Superb graphics and loads of atmosphere. If you've never flown a fast jet sim before you can scale down the complexities for a barrel of fun, or for the more advanced you can crank it up a sweat out your own personal hell of archers inbound. Some bugs and a couple of bits to be rounded off so not a 10, but from a developer with a history and reputation for fixing and expanding so the Superb graphics and loads of atmosphere. If you've never flown a fast jet sim before you can scale down the complexities for a barrel of fun, or for the more advanced you can crank it up a sweat out your own personal hell of archers inbound. Some bugs and a couple of bits to be rounded off so not a 10, but from a developer with a history and reputation for fixing and expanding so the 8 is only temporary till they get to work. Expand
  63. WouterW.
    Dec 16, 2003
    The game has some bugs, difficulties and needs tweaking, both on the user-end and by the devs. this is normal for a flightsim and it is not excessive imo. That said, once it runs, it is a dream come true for every flight simmer. The graphics are absolutely top notch, as is the 'feeling of flight' Weather effects, the detailed objects, the sound effects, everything in it The game has some bugs, difficulties and needs tweaking, both on the user-end and by the devs. this is normal for a flightsim and it is not excessive imo. That said, once it runs, it is a dream come true for every flight simmer. The graphics are absolutely top notch, as is the 'feeling of flight' Weather effects, the detailed objects, the sound effects, everything in it conspires to really put you there as you fight in one of the six lovingly crafted planes. Returning to the point of the bugs and neccesary tweakage, this sim has a very active community, working closely with the developers to make it even better, and helping new players out in mastering this very complex piece of software Expand
  64. JanR.
    Dec 16, 2003
    This game is well done with stunning gfx and sound and despite a few bugs out of the box a series of patches is planned and the first one already close for release. For a simmer this is a must have game :D I love it.
  65. Paulh
    Dec 16, 2003
    I gave it 9 but would have liked to have put 8.5, 0.5 for the bugs still in the game in the release version. All in all I love it.
  66. FlightSimGuy
    Dec 16, 2003
    Great physics, awesome graphics and awesome FPS (if your willing to uprgrade to an awesome machine which i did)
  67. IsaacA.
    Dec 16, 2003
    great graphcis fly models i love to fly the A10 and Su25. its a good option for all sim fans out there. the only point if that i would like to haev more air to ground ordenances ....
  68. MichaelR.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Excellent physics, excellent graphics.
  69. Dale
    Dec 16, 2003
    If you gave this sim less than a 7, what friggin' planet are you on? This baby is astonishing, and the futures so bright I gotta wear shades. It's clear UBI and Eagle Dynamics plan to support this for quite some time. It needs a patch, more than one probably, but what is already there is great. I would have paid my $39 just for the hog, or, just for the Eagle. Get real people.
  70. FelippeJ.
    Dec 16, 2003
    The Hog what more can i say;) This is one of the best games i ever played
  71. EagleD.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Things will never be the same after this one. The bomb, destined for great things. Great out of the box, and just wait until the first patch is out and watch the add ons and com mods role in. They will be talking about this one for a long time.
  72. DmitriM.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Great Game. Graphics are absolutly outstanding. Flight models are to die for. Unfortunalty in order to appreciate this game fully you would need to spend some time learning how to fly which can get pretty complicated. My biggest disappointment is the lack of good story line and good missions to fly. The flight simulator is there but the "game" is missing. I can't wait for dynamic Great Game. Graphics are absolutly outstanding. Flight models are to die for. Unfortunalty in order to appreciate this game fully you would need to spend some time learning how to fly which can get pretty complicated. My biggest disappointment is the lack of good story line and good missions to fly. The flight simulator is there but the "game" is missing. I can't wait for dynamic compaign and will buy any product with LOCKON on it. Expand
  73. AndyH.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Outstanding flight modeling, superb graphics, incredible sound -- all for a complete immersive modern fighter jet simulation experience.
  74. neverstill
    Dec 16, 2003
    this game is the bomb,sure it's not perfect,...name one game/sim that is!
  75. FD
    Dec 16, 2003
    Minor bugs exist. There is no way around that. The game is also very demanding on your system; anything less than top of the line and you will have problems. It should be expected that old hardware will work poorly with new software. The realism, the most important thing in a flight sim, is sufficient. No, it doesn't come with a real F-15C, but it's good enough that real world Minor bugs exist. There is no way around that. The game is also very demanding on your system; anything less than top of the line and you will have problems. It should be expected that old hardware will work poorly with new software. The realism, the most important thing in a flight sim, is sufficient. No, it doesn't come with a real F-15C, but it's good enough that real world tactics can be applied. The A-10 and Su-25 introduce something that has not been seen recently in flight simulation. Their style of close air support is very different than a way an F-16 or F/A-18 might approach mud moving. I haven't much bad to say about it. The manual is quite poor, but if you are experienced in any modern flight sim, learning LOMAC will not be very hard. And if not, fly the training missions, which are excellent. Expand
  76. ChrisB.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Great graphics, some bugs and lan/multiplayer inop-buged.
  77. MarkD.
    Dec 16, 2003
    I give it 8.5 out of 10...excellent game, don't judge it after 30 mins of flying..
  78. MarkDeFilippis
    Dec 16, 2003
    I played it for < 8 hours. Not even enough time to get it set up properly. But having dealt with FA/18, Falcon 4, and SU-27, and having to back down to Novalogic F-22 Raptor, (Sorry, I just can't get myself to buy a Micrsoft game. Bad enough I have to pay for their OS, so FS is out).

Until now, there was not a "die hard" sim that gave you the chance to build up your skills. It was either "Arcade" or "Die-hard", really should have been called "Die-real-fast"!

In a few hours I was flying @ 500ft, got below the power lines, and to my surprise, I bounced off the ground"! What a great concept!

Fun aside, this is a game that has the ability to be a lot to everyone. For the Arcade style that want to fly and shoot, it can be there. For the die hard, well that too.

For someone like me, with an engineering background, physics and some avionics, I am working a bit at a time on manuevers, and flight, and as I do, I can "turn the pot" up to attain more reality.

I think a lot of people missed that. If I were to read this board I would get the impression that this was only a "die-hard" sim, and it is a lot more.

First hour I actually landed the F-15! It landed, bounced 15-20 feet, and settled on its right wing. (;-))

After 8 hours and turning on some reality, tried again and made a big-a-hole!

It is great that this sim can appeal to many... thats large sales. How much more value can you ask for?? $50 and you get a lot of play value out of it.

Knowing just enough that I know, I realize I can't really enjoy this sim until I start lighting up those difficulty buttons. It is probably as close as I will come in my lifetime to controlling the real thing.

Md
  79. Gangrene
    Dec 16, 2003
    The game has tremendous potentional and my rating is based solely on the promise of a patch to fix a variety of serious issues, ranging from incompetently implemented TrackIR support to motherboard incompatibilities in multiplayer. Still hopeful (after 2 freaking years in dev).
  80. Matt(Bonez)
    Dec 16, 2003
    Beautiful graphics and realistic flight dynamics make this the best flight sim ever! a definite must-have for flight simmers
  81. djbaz
    Dec 16, 2003
    I got to say simply stunning! The flight models are a dream! Flying nap of the earth, towns and cities rush by as you make your way to a target, avoiding sams and nme AAA. What a rush! If you think a few million bucks worth of military jet hardware parked in your garage is an appealing thought then this is the sim for you! :)
  82. TonyL.
    Dec 16, 2003
    No I don't give any game 10 but this is trully an exception for so many reasons. Its quite literally the best sense of being in the air in a real environment every to grace a PC, but the price is you need good hardware as would be expected of any cutting edge pioneering game title. Lock On is indeed a milestone of virtual flight and you get to fight in it as well ;) Get this game, No I don't give any game 10 but this is trully an exception for so many reasons. Its quite literally the best sense of being in the air in a real environment every to grace a PC, but the price is you need good hardware as would be expected of any cutting edge pioneering game title. Lock On is indeed a milestone of virtual flight and you get to fight in it as well ;) Get this game, and be patient with it, just like you would with anything that you love and cherish. Well done ED, another masterpiece. Expand
  83. Jonesy
    Dec 16, 2003
    What's all the fuss? This game runs very well on my computer. I have a a P4 2.4 with a Radeon 9800 Pro and 1 Gig of RAM. The jets are cool, the detail is stunning, and the graphics rock!. Sure, it has some bugs, but show me a flight sim that doesn't have a few bugs in the first version. The guys that make this game have stated that they will be putting out a patch to fix What's all the fuss? This game runs very well on my computer. I have a a P4 2.4 with a Radeon 9800 Pro and 1 Gig of RAM. The jets are cool, the detail is stunning, and the graphics rock!. Sure, it has some bugs, but show me a flight sim that doesn't have a few bugs in the first version. The guys that make this game have stated that they will be putting out a patch to fix problems. I'll be playing this one for a long time. Jonesy. Expand
  84. Daveweber
    Dec 16, 2003
    Well how to start off ,I've been waiting for this game since Flanker2.5 & IL2 since then much hype, I thought I would never see the light of day on this title , then the demo came out! Wow what a let down for me :( , then the retail box OEM hit EB I purchased it,, "I can't say this enough , THE RETAIL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN DEMO!! , I love the gameplay, alot faster for me than Well how to start off ,I've been waiting for this game since Flanker2.5 & IL2 since then much hype, I thought I would never see the light of day on this title , then the demo came out! Wow what a let down for me :( , then the retail box OEM hit EB I purchased it,, "I can't say this enough , THE RETAIL IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN DEMO!! , I love the gameplay, alot faster for me than Flanker 2.5 cleaner , but that goes without saying , this is a fresh start, HIGH's Graphics, Flight Model, flight characteristics,Terrain Buildings , ATC, Lows Some FPS issues , but nothing that will stop me from playing , track and save video for later playback no center of my FF2 joystick. Conclusion , great game for me I really don't see why some people can't get good Fps or they have a CTD, I have yet to get one . WTG Eagle Dynamics Eagle Dynamics Intel Socket 478 Pentium 4 Northwood,2.6GHz (400MHz FSB) ABIT BD7 RAID Latest Bios Western Digital 40 Gig 7,200 RPM 2*512 Samsung Pc 2100(1024) GeForce Ti 4600 128DDR (DR 53.03) Hercules Game Theater XP 7.1 (ver 4101,Cpl v1.33 Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 DirectX 9.0b Expand
  85. LAWilliams
    Dec 16, 2003
    This Flight Sim have raised the bar. This is by far the best flight sim I've experienced. There are some minor bugs, but that is to be expected with a sim of of this magnitude. The scary part is this Sim will only get better with future patches. GREAT SIM!
  86. ChrisB.
    Dec 16, 2003
    This Sim has it all and then some!
    Its photo-realistic graphics lure me up to just fly around and simply enjoy the view...
    The attention to detail is astounding. Couple that with high fidelity avionics and flight models and you have a bleeding edge sim for a relatively small investment. The Dev team has a 'hands on' approach with the community and is not afraid to get
    This Sim has it all and then some!
    The attention to detail is astounding.

The Dev team has a 'hands on' approach with the community and is not afraid to get their feet wet and take praise or criticism for their product.

More importantly, they interact with the community on a daily basis and actually listen to them.-KUDOS-
    This approach is better than any shiny box for building a customer base.

Looking forward to the 1st patch!
    (and ANY addon these guys put thier mitts on).
    Thanks again everyone involved.
  87. DiamondMilzy
    Dec 16, 2003
    Considering it has been the only Combat Sim released in the past few years worth playing, how can it be anything less than a 10?
  88. GlenT.
    Dec 16, 2003
    I give the game an 8 because its a very good sim, but it does have its bugs. Eagle Dynamics has always been good to patch most of the problems, so I'm looking forward to the improvements in the future. I'd definitely by the game again.
  89. DaveL.
    Dec 16, 2003
    The best sim to date. This game has everything, but does require top of the line computer to run the game with all the details. The game can be tunned to any system with many options in graphics, sounds, game play.
  90. SteveD.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Awesome game, "authentic" feeling flight modelling. LOVE IT!
  91. GregC.
    I love this sim.
  92. RandalV.
    Dec 16, 2003
    The closest thing to a real combat jet that many of us are going to ever get on our computers. There are bugs in this sim, but the developers have a great history of supporting their product and a patch is on the way already! Things will only get better with time with LOCK-ON.
  93. Blaze
    Dec 16, 2003
    This Simm is 10 times as good as any FPS out there and Forgotten Battles doesn't even come close to the techincial level this simm has set. Go ahead and purchase this one but be prepared to work hard to achieve any type of success.
  94. BarrieB.
    Dec 16, 2003
    Great game just make sure you have the graphics card and system to use it to it's full ability, Bit buggy at the moment but with a patch already in the works this one is going to rule the roost of Combat flight sims for a while to come!
  95. HaraldS.
    Dec 16, 2003
    a must for everyone interested in military flightsims - BUT: a real fps-monster! Hope the patch fixes the drastically dropping fps while flying through smoke...
  96. JoshG.
    Fun!
  97. AlexisSpitfire
    Dec 16, 2003
    Excellent game, graphics, etc... but there are too many bugs, hope the patch'll help
  98. Thingsgonnasplode
    Dec 16, 2003
    People are rating this game so low - I don't know why. I am very VERY impressed with this game. Remember - the happy people usually don't talk. The disappointed ones do. There are many MANY more people out there who are liking this game - and they're playing it. Not sitting online reading these dumb reviews.
  99. AndrewM.
    Dec 16, 2003
    great potential still need procesing and polishing can be fine-tuned after some hard work impresive in video and complexity after patch will see again.
  100. Qaiser
    Dec 16, 2003
    Excellent game a few bugs that will be ironed out by the patch and of course this game has plenty of potential....love lomac :)

1. Our favourite is the A-10 Warthog – cruising at 50 feet, on the prowl for enemy tanks, it’s one of the most exhilarating missions available in any recent simulator.
  2. Computer Gaming World
    Detailed terrain, buildings, water, and effects lend an unprecedented feeling of speed to low-level flight. [March 2004, p.82]
  3. It has great graphics, fairly simple controls, great scenery, a decent choice of planes, and a great editor. Although the sounds easily get on your nerves, it will be the load times and need for a computer upgrade that will have you pulling your hair out.