7.3

1. Apr 30, 2012
    Great atmosphere, nice and immersive storyline and a wise game-play to keep the tension constant. It would have been a 8 or a 9 but i've found the latter part of the game kinda slow and repetitive and i was disappointed by the ending (i don't want to spoiler but for me it wasn't clear where the "choices" took places in the game). Knowing that all game comes from the mind of a singleGreat atmosphere, nice and immersive storyline and a wise game-play to keep the tension constant. It would have been a 8 or a 9 but i've found the latter part of the game kinda slow and repetitive and i was disappointed by the ending (i don't want to spoiler but for me it wasn't clear where the "choices" took places in the game). Knowing that all game comes from the mind of a single designer is remarkable and my personal opinion aside this is a gaming experience that everyone should try, even if the genre doesn't suit you. I played it straight until the ending line. Expand
  2. Aug 19, 2012
    I would have to agree with people saying that the game spamming you with messages about having to sleep or eat makes it thoroughly unenjoyable. I really liked the beginning of the story, the atmosphere and presentation. But the constant messages made me stop playing after just 2-3 hours total and when I just thought about whether I should just finish the game, it simply felt like it wouldI would have to agree with people saying that the game spamming you with messages about having to sleep or eat makes it thoroughly unenjoyable. I really liked the beginning of the story, the atmosphere and presentation. But the constant messages made me stop playing after just 2-3 hours total and when I just thought about whether I should just finish the game, it simply felt like it would be a hassle. And I'd rather play games that don't feel like I constantly have to do menial tasks. Expand
  3. May 20, 2012
    Ok so.... this game is a decent game, if your a fan of oldschool graphics and a ummm interesting? storyline? its kinda crazy but i guess thats the point. The reason i give this game a 6 is not because of the gameplay, the controls or the story, its because every 2 minutes you must quickly run back to your "main room" to either cook food or sleep" otherwise your spammed with "im hungry" orOk so.... this game is a decent game, if your a fan of oldschool graphics and a ummm interesting? storyline? its kinda crazy but i guess thats the point. The reason i give this game a 6 is not because of the gameplay, the controls or the story, its because every 2 minutes you must quickly run back to your "main room" to either cook food or sleep" otherwise your spammed with "im hungry" or "im sleepy" type texts, im not sure if this will actually kill you because i never let it try, but that spam ruined this game for me : / i had a really hard time finishing this game because of this unnessary feeding and sleeping bulls@#$...it just bugs me so much they did this, its every minute not every half hour its ALL the time and it makes it hard to play the game...later on you can trade pills u get in your bathroom for food or ammo then its somewhat bareable, but every 1-5 minutes you must port back to your room thru mirrors to collect these pills and deliver them to the source...then! then! by the time you start to progress your hungry or sleepy again...arrrg, freaking rediculous....cooking the food makes it last a bit longer but not much....such a waste of a would be good game. You cant really enjoy the story or the "fear" because your more worried about when its gonna spam you to sleep or eat, thats far more scary than what was intended...spend your 10 bucks elseware...if you dont believe me then try it.............. Expand
  4. Jul 13, 2012
    Overrated. I love indie titles, and play my fair share but many reviewers got caught up in the appeal of something different with this title. I get this game is a bit of an homage to throwback 16-bit-ish titles but gameplay is still clumsy and repetitive. Flashlight batteries die too fast, ammo is scarce and I can't go 5 minutes without needing to slurp down a squid stick. Gets old after aOverrated. I love indie titles, and play my fair share but many reviewers got caught up in the appeal of something different with this title. I get this game is a bit of an homage to throwback 16-bit-ish titles but gameplay is still clumsy and repetitive. Flashlight batteries die too fast, ammo is scarce and I can't go 5 minutes without needing to slurp down a squid stick. Gets old after a few hours...and the fun fades as quickly as the battery pack for that flashlight. Expand
  5. Jan 24, 2015
    I have no problem with an ambiguous story left to interpretation, but I feel that Lone Survivor is just a little too vague to make sense of all that occurs when the credits screen finally comes rolling, at least that was my impression after playing only a single playthrough that took me roughly 4 hours to complete.

Not only that, but I think some gameplay mechanics aren't explained

Not only that, but I think some gameplay mechanics aren't explained particularly well within the game either. For example, besides a vague description of making you 'duller' or 'sharper'. it isn't clear what each pill does EXACTLY and how it affects your mental health.

Additionally, Lone Survivor is called a survival horror, and while it fulfills the survival part in a solid enough manner, the psychological horror aspect is rather lacking. There weren't many instances where it felt particularly horrifying and suspenseful.

Last point, I don't usually mind retro visuals, but I felt that the game was just a little too pixelated for my liking, though the sound design is excellent and reinforces the game's isolating atmosphere.

Overall rating - 7.1/10

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Oct 13, 2012
    Lone Survivor has a great atmosphere that keeps getting more oppressive as the game goes on. At times there is too much running back and forth, but other than that it's a pure horror masterpiece. Just don't play it on a large monitor or the pixels will hurt your eyes. [Aug 2012]
  2. PC Master (Greece)
    Aug 31, 2012
    2D, pixilated graphics are not the best thing to happen in a 2012 game ("oh, how the years have gone by, etc"), but those of you who judge solely a game from the graphics and reject it, think again: it may look simple and outdated but through its simplicity, Lone Survivor is extremely profound, content-wise (definitely more profound and "horror" than other failed horror blockbusters that we have witnessed the last years). [July 2012]
  3. Jul 30, 2012
    Lone Survivor bears doubtless resemblance to that classic survivor horror franchise, Silent Hill. After all, Lone Survivor has creepy monsters, a mostly-empty city, a basement you don't want to be in but must be, fleshy red membranes, and a psychological bent. I like to think of Lone Survivor not as a tawdry imitator, but as an intelligent and surreal homage to a once-powerful series, and even perhaps a comment on the genre itself.