7.2

1. Sep 21, 2013
    A Great game, with a very deep meaning. The graphics, music and ambiance are all amazing. It is very scary at times and only ever uses cheap tricks like jump scares a few times.
  2. May 22, 2013
    A truly good game, should get more recognition then it has now. Freaky atmosphere yet touching storyline, I really do hope to come across a game like this again!
  3. dak
    Apr 26, 2012
    Thrilling, scary, stylish a atmospheric adventure with sounds and music that sit as a bespoke suit. The game provides you with feelings and immersion that commercial survival horrors are after.
  4. Apr 24, 2012
    This is the first 2D game that genuinely scares me. The graphics are cartoonishi and pixelated but the layers of murk and darkness coupled with the superb soundtrack make you feel a dread not felt since the first two Silent Hill games.
  5. May 4, 2012
    This game is amazing the game play goes beyond just cheap thrills and really strives to create an environment that provides the player with genuine fear and the tailor made soundtrack does nothing but further immerse the player in this true to the genre survival horror game. Lone Survivor beats all expectations I have for indie games and stands out as an instant classic that stays withThis game is amazing the game play goes beyond just cheap thrills and really strives to create an environment that provides the player with genuine fear and the tailor made soundtrack does nothing but further immerse the player in this true to the genre survival horror game. Lone Survivor beats all expectations I have for indie games and stands out as an instant classic that stays with the player long after the game is completed. Expand
  6. May 22, 2012
    After being starved for truly amazing psychological survival horror for so many years, Lone Survivor by the one man development team of Jasper Byrne steps up to the challenge. You play "You", the lone survivor in a city plagued by horrors and disease. This is survival horror in definition, you'll need to scavenge for food, ammo, batteries and so on to survive, while hiding or facing theAfter being starved for truly amazing psychological survival horror for so many years, Lone Survivor by the one man development team of Jasper Byrne steps up to the challenge. You play "You", the lone survivor in a city plagued by horrors and disease. This is survival horror in definition, you'll need to scavenge for food, ammo, batteries and so on to survive, while hiding or facing the Silent Hill 2 inspired monstrosities. The psychological element is the element that messes with your head, you have no idea what's real, what isn't and what you want to be real. Gameplaywise you'll need to keep "you" fed properly, not that it's a necessity, but your mental health and well-being relies on it, with multiple endings being the consequent of nearly all of your actions. You have a flash-light and ammo for your pistol, and supplies for these are scarce, meaning you'll have to be rummaging around in the twisted surrounding for these. With the gun, you aim and shoot as an untrained ordinary person would, you can aim up, down or straight forward and you'll need to get in close for the headshots. Its refreshing to see combat like this again after Silent Hill 1-4 as a major part of the tension in combat doesn't come from being an action hero. Silent Hill 5 was guilty of this horror crime and Lone Survivor does it brilliantly. There's also pills you can take, or not, that will give you different dreams that transport you to bizarre realms with intriguing characters. Much of this is however optional and whether you take drugs to keep going or abstain from them impacts upon the course of events the game will take.

The game uses a distinctive retro style which surprisingly works wonderfully for the horror. The monsters look more horrifying as you can't exactly make out all the features. They look mangled and lanky with features enveloped by flesh Silent Hill 2 style. It always seems as graphics and gameplay get better, survival horror gets worse and Lone Survivor brings it right back. How good all the other features are demonstrate that pixelated graphics can still provide genuine horror and atmosphere. There's no use saying anything about the story as so much is up for interpretation or a spoiler. The music, created by Jasper Byrne himself, is utterly magnificent. It isn't hard to tell the soundtrack is inspired from both Silent Hill and Twin Peaks, including the industrial twangs and acoustic melodies from Silent Hill, and the creepy jazzy tunes from Twin Peaks. In short, the soundtrack plays a major role in creating the tense creepy atmosphere. As far as criticisms go, there aren't many. The map has an overhead view of the surroundings which can sometimes be a little confusing as the gameplay is in 2D. this just means you'll have move left and right a bit whilst checking the map to see if you're moving upwards of downwards on the map. Another issue with the map is that is doesn't pause the game while you look at it. I guess you could consider it adding to the realism but I just found it a little annoying. In short, if you like Silent Hill 2, get this game right now. If you're wanting to try something new, get this game. Even if you're not interested in horror I'd try it out seeing as at around 4 hours gameplay it doesn't take up much of your time. However with multiple endings and various play styles, there's excellent replay value there if you want. It is a genuinely emotional and scary game that will leave you satisfied. Seriously, get the ending you want and you'll feel something. Old school survival horror is finally back. Although Amnesia was truly terrifying, it lacked the feel and atmosphere of hope, despair and survival that Lone Survivor and Silent Hill 2 bring to the table. Get this game!

-You might notice that the two negative user reviews for this game are from someone who "hates" survival horror and someone who is angry that this game's success and gives no indication what-so-ever that he even played the game. Just throwing that out there.
  7. Aug 19, 2012
    I did put 10. That is not a mistake.
    Because this is a complete masterpiece.
    I did put 10. That is not a mistake.
    Because this is a complete masterpiece.
    The feelings I felt as I was playing it, is completely unique and no second-rate thriller about the uprising Dead or global virus can outmaster that. No, this is not Silent Hill. This is something completely different. This is exactly what I've been waiting all these years, a game that I will beat again and again, and, maybe, ten years after, I re-install it, and show it to my children, God forbid, playing in Modern Warfare 8, and tell them: "This game is incredible. It being almost unnoticed general public, won my heart. She set the bar to which no game in the genre has yet climbed. Is this the first time you see it? Well, remember, the name is Lone Survivor ».
  8. Aug 18, 2012
    Silent Hill 2D. Everything that the Silent Hill franchise got right is in this game. The creepy, simple flesh colored monsters complete with static noises: Check. The extreme scarcity of ammo (As well as clunky combat): Check. Fantastic ambient tracks as well as some extremely creepy tracks: Check. I also really enjoyed the survival elements, really added a sense of urgency. Overall ISilent Hill 2D. Everything that the Silent Hill franchise got right is in this game. The creepy, simple flesh colored monsters complete with static noises: Check. The extreme scarcity of ammo (As well as clunky combat): Check. Fantastic ambient tracks as well as some extremely creepy tracks: Check. I also really enjoyed the survival elements, really added a sense of urgency. Overall I really enjoyed this game more than I thought I would.
    Survival horror has consumed the second dimension.
  9. Jul 30, 2012
    You have got to be down for an old school side scroller romp, (2D! PIXELS!) but if you've got the taste - THIS GAME IS AWESOME. My GF and I were an hour in when we realized we loved it. Lone Survivor has got enough to it - both the bizarre campy horror of a side scroller, the RPG drama that is 16-BIT and a fantastic exploration of what genius is possible in a one man gaming project. BuyYou have got to be down for an old school side scroller romp, (2D! PIXELS!) but if you've got the taste - THIS GAME IS AWESOME. My GF and I were an hour in when we realized we loved it. Lone Survivor has got enough to it - both the bizarre campy horror of a side scroller, the RPG drama that is 16-BIT and a fantastic exploration of what genius is possible in a one man gaming project. Buy it. Play it. Support indie game design. Love the game. _Ugly Baby Expand
  10. Jun 4, 2012
    This game is a 10, for one reason, who's going to make a 2d game that will scare the Sh** out of you, this developer... This is silent hill in the 2D world. The game provides a very spooky atmosphere with very spooky sounds. And frankly, you won't want to play this game with the lights off. This game really sucks you in to the world of survival horror. Buy it, play it.
  11. Aug 3, 2012
    Most titles from the indie bundle turned out to be alright to me, but Lone Survivor definitely stands out for me as being the best of the bunch. Just like many other bundle games, the game is very retro style with a gameplay system somewhat akin to Silent Hill; creeping through dark hallways and using a map to navigate apartments. Unlike Silent Hill though, you must keep returning to yourMost titles from the indie bundle turned out to be alright to me, but Lone Survivor definitely stands out for me as being the best of the bunch. Just like many other bundle games, the game is very retro style with a gameplay system somewhat akin to Silent Hill; creeping through dark hallways and using a map to navigate apartments. Unlike Silent Hill though, you must keep returning to your room to sleep and eat which, while challenging, can start to grate after a while. Overall though, I enjoyed Lone Survivor: it's atmospheric, intriguing and quite well-paced. Buy it with the Steam bundle. Expand
  12. Sep 27, 2013
    This game have good soundtrack good story is scart and sometimes cofusing looks like an oldschool game i think is one of those strange games that doesnt have the best grafics but still great.
  13. Apr 23, 2012
    So a great game. It does survivor horror better then any big budget title has done it over a decade. The atmosphere, overall tone, and sound design are fantastic! There is a demo available online that you can play right in your browser. Just google it. And you can purchase the DRM free from from the developer or you can opt for the just released STEAM version. I would choose the latter ifSo a great game. It does survivor horror better then any big budget title has done it over a decade. The atmosphere, overall tone, and sound design are fantastic! There is a demo available online that you can play right in your browser. Just google it. And you can purchase the DRM free from from the developer or you can opt for the just released STEAM version. I would choose the latter if you are reading this before the end of April since its currently on sale for about $7. Expand
  14. Apr 27, 2012
    I'm going to give this a 10 out of 10, because i feel it has made it into one of the three only scary games made, Amnesia, and Silent hill, and lets face it, there have been so many attempts and so, so many fails, but these three are what the makers of the others should consider finishing for ideas on how to capture horror at its finest.
  15. Jul 25, 2012
    A few issues with gameplay mechanics and UI choices. But more than makes up for it with original survival horror gameplay that will open an entirely new genre.
  16. Jul 10, 2012
    I have very little complaints about this, one of them being the animations and the other being that this guy basically did my idea for a game but 10 times better and iMad, but apart from that this is possibly the best indie game I have ever played? An actual survival unlike many games that call themselves that, manages to use 2d modern-retro graphics and to integrate them so well in such aI have very little complaints about this, one of them being the animations and the other being that this guy basically did my idea for a game but 10 times better and iMad, but apart from that this is possibly the best indie game I have ever played? An actual survival unlike many games that call themselves that, manages to use 2d modern-retro graphics and to integrate them so well in such a kind of game, references to magnificent works such as Twin Peaks and Silent Hill, gorgeous music and atmosphere, a bit of replayability. Would be tempting to say this is a 10/10 if my opinions weren't a bit altered by the moment AND by being a fan of stuff this game references, but even without all that I can easily say this is a 8 or even a 9/10.

And a thing about the ever-complaining guys: the stuff about being hungry and sleepy are apparently not stuff you die for or that you are forced to acknowledge, but it will give you a better ending. I'll give you that those mechanics are pretty unclear, I didn't find the frequency of the text boxes annoying though.
  17. Jan 9, 2013
    Lone Survivor is a a truly compelling, thought-provoking and unforgettable experience. The 2D handpainted art style is creepy and fits very well with the music Jasper Byrne has composed (which may I add is phenomenal on its own) for the game. The art style may not be for everyone - nowadays a lot of people seem to like big, fancy blockbuster titles and graphics to go with it - but theseLone Survivor is a a truly compelling, thought-provoking and unforgettable experience. The 2D handpainted art style is creepy and fits very well with the music Jasper Byrne has composed (which may I add is phenomenal on its own) for the game. The art style may not be for everyone - nowadays a lot of people seem to like big, fancy blockbuster titles and graphics to go with it - but these kind of *good* indie games are truly a refreshing experience for the retro and modern gamer alike. Lone Survivor features multiple endings that change depending on your decisions and actions in-game, even those that you'd think are irrelevant, but the psyche report at the end of the game lists 'contributing factors' which surprised me, and made sense after I thought about it. A lot of things aren't explained, but it's left open to interpretation and is a truly clever piece in that sense. The combat is simple, but it isn't a combat-centric game - the real selling point is a compelling story and creepy ambience which will keep you on edge throughout. Expand
  18. Jan 3, 2014
    Best movie I've ever seen in my entire life.

Shows the hardships and grief that our loved ones have to endure to provide peace around the world.

People should appreciate how we're helping to rescue people from oppression and that there are good people who truly need our help.

1. Oct 13, 2012
    Lone Survivor has a great atmosphere that keeps getting more oppressive as the game goes on. At times there is too much running back and forth, but other than that it's a pure horror masterpiece. Just don't play it on a large monitor or the pixels will hurt your eyes. [Aug 2012]
  2. Aug 31, 2012
    2D, pixilated graphics are not the best thing to happen in a 2012 game ("oh, how the years have gone by, etc"), but those of you who judge solely a game from the graphics and reject it, think again: it may look simple and outdated but through its simplicity, Lone Survivor is extremely profound, content-wise (definitely more profound and "horror" than other failed horror blockbusters that we have witnessed the last years). [July 2012]
  3. Jul 30, 2012
    Lone Survivor bears doubtless resemblance to that classic survivor horror franchise, Silent Hill. After all, Lone Survivor has creepy monsters, a mostly-empty city, a basement you don't want to be in but must be, fleshy red membranes, and a psychological bent. I like to think of Lone Survivor not as a tawdry imitator, but as an intelligent and surreal homage to a once-powerful series, and even perhaps a comment on the genre itself.