Lost Planet 3 PC

6.1

1. Oct 2, 2013
    I wasn't expecting much from this game and didn't get much either. The main story is interesting enough but the side stuff is boring and annoying. you have your mech and can go on missions and stuff, there are upgrades for your mech ass well as weapons. I just wish they had put more effort in side missions, made it more open world.
  2. Dec 7, 2013
    i didn't play any game of the lost planet franchise and i decided to begin with that one (i wish i didn't) the game is not good at all i haven't played a game that is so repetitive or boring like this for a long time the story was really good but the gameplay ruined the game for me
  3. Oct 20, 2013
    What's with the bad reviews? I waited to buy this until I was able to purchase it for $20 because the reviews were so lousy, yet this is the best game in the Lost Planet series. Lost Planet 1 was mediocre, Lost Planet 2 was flat out bad, but Lost Planet 3 is like a love letter to Aliens inspired by elements of Dead Space 1 with hub environments, side quests, interactivity within the hubWhat's with the bad reviews? I waited to buy this until I was able to purchase it for $20 because the reviews were so lousy, yet this is the best game in the Lost Planet series. Lost Planet 1 was mediocre, Lost Planet 2 was flat out bad, but Lost Planet 3 is like a love letter to Aliens inspired by elements of Dead Space 1 with hub environments, side quests, interactivity within the hub environments, great atmosphere, excellent graphics, great gameplay, etc. Again, what were the reviews going on about? It's a travesty that this has such a low Metacritic score. This has far more depth, far better voice acting, far better characters, far better gameplay, etc. than prior Lost Planet titles. Expand
  4. Sep 6, 2013
    Pros:Story/Ending is fantastic its tell a whole life of a man...and E.d.n.3 planet,music pretty good,
    robot view,places,characters,non linear gameplay.
    Cons:can't play old jim...Graphics, sometimes even lost planet 1 is nicer...Unreal3 engine is too old.
    gameplay sometimes get boring.pc version keyboard/mouse...
  5. Sep 11, 2013
    Nice comeback from LP2, LP3 have a campaign up-part with LP1. Don't know why ratings are so bad. Story is good, combat gameplay is good, lot of new stuff. Graphics could be better but still very acceptable.
  6. Sep 1, 2013
    The game isn't that bad as the critic reviews may suggest. The music is good, the visuals are quite acceptable (on my older rig), the storytelling is capturing. The voiceover is good but the audio quality is a bit strange. True, it has some tedious parts and lack of rig-weaponry; somehow, it doesn't feel right. I enjoyed the maintenance tasks with the rig which is well suited for those,The game isn't that bad as the critic reviews may suggest. The music is good, the visuals are quite acceptable (on my older rig), the storytelling is capturing. The voiceover is good but the audio quality is a bit strange. True, it has some tedious parts and lack of rig-weaponry; somehow, it doesn't feel right. I enjoyed the maintenance tasks with the rig which is well suited for those, but for combat is unsatisfying. Yes it tries to be Dead Space-like, but I felt some Rage and Mass Effect in it. No achievements so there is little to no replay value for me right now even if I left out a bunch of collectibles. The key configuration is a bit awkward and didn't allow me to remap most of the keys, i.e., use E for multiple actions was rejected, even though some keys were by default mapped to many actions at one. Still, its a buy on -25% sale. Expand
  7. Jan 25, 2015
    Wow I am surprised that this game received bad reviews... I never played any of the other lost planets but this one was pretty dang good. In the beginning the pacing is a bit off and the loading is annoying... But other than that this game thought outside the box. Story: Awesome - Voice Acting: Great - Game Play: Worth it. I hope these bad reviews don't stop lost planet 4 cause I sureWow I am surprised that this game received bad reviews... I never played any of the other lost planets but this one was pretty dang good. In the beginning the pacing is a bit off and the loading is annoying... But other than that this game thought outside the box. Story: Awesome - Voice Acting: Great - Game Play: Worth it. I hope these bad reviews don't stop lost planet 4 cause I sure would like to play it. Keep up the good work on this game. Expand
  8. Nov 17, 2013
    This game reminds me of ummm let me think. MAX PAYNE 3. You do like 4 hours of walking around. That's the game. The rest is cut scenes. Also the game looks okay. I used all the settings. Eg. Set it to Low then Medium... So forth. And I have to say you get the best performance on High. Also when your not walking around you are pulling a lever then walking somewhere else then pulling aThis game reminds me of ummm let me think. MAX PAYNE 3. You do like 4 hours of walking around. That's the game. The rest is cut scenes. Also the game looks okay. I used all the settings. Eg. Set it to Low then Medium... So forth. And I have to say you get the best performance on High. Also when your not walking around you are pulling a lever then walking somewhere else then pulling a lever. It's the same gameplay over and over again.
    I do not recommend this game.
  9. Oct 15, 2013
    After slightly more than a couple of hours in I'd rate this game an 8 8.5 out of 10 but is too early to fix this value, everything seems to be in place and waiting to correct my rating after finishing the game I'm gonna give a 10 just to balance what, for now, it seems a pretty unreasonable score.
  10. Dec 1, 2013
    yeah the gameplay and the graphics are average,but the story,characters,the good soundtrack and the well done voice acting will keep you playing this game seriously wanting to know what will happen.
    the game also has the a very good atmosphere. gameplay is not good but not bad too and the Rig parts are where the gameplay shines especially that fight with Laroche in the final hours of the game.
    there's also a radio in the rig but you won't get the chance to listen coz it's TEMPORARLY UNAVAILABLE for about 95% of the game. Damn that really pissed me off
    the game took me 13 hours and 26 minutes to finish with doing some side missions too
    i can only give it a 7.5. and i could've given it a 8 if the gameplay was better than this,coz killing humans really sucked in this game and if it had a bigger world and more sidemissions
  11. Sep 5, 2013
    I'm a long-standing fan of the series, and while I was disappointed to see that the latest entry does things differently, approaching it from the perspective of a gamer, not a fan, allowed me to see that not all was lost.
    The game was immediately marred by a loss of personality. It decided to go for a 'gritty realism' atmosphere, in opposition to the high-flying epic action of the previous games, and that combined with uninspired and repetitive level design packed with backtracking seriously damaged the experience. As a matter of fact, for a long time, I was hard-pressed to describe this as a Lost Planet game, rather than a generic sci-fi third person shooter.
    However, it's my opinion that the game's benefits outweigh its generic feel and repetitive levels. First off the game is visually gorgeous, and unlike the first two, very well optimized for PC. This comes off best in the extremely high-resolution facial animations and PC-exclusive high-resolution textures. Second, the game's writing is outstanding a merit the first two games lacked and is packed with believable and likable characters that I found I quickly started to care about. Third, three enjoyable series stables have returned the towering mechs, adaptable grappling hook, and creative multi-stage bosses and minibosses, and while all three have gone through some measure of change, most notably the mechs (or rather, singular mech) but this isn't necessarily a bad thing. The mech you pilot through the game, the Utility Rig, becomes almost a character of its own as you customize it and unlock various attachments and upgrades that will aid you in your journey.
    In conclusion, the game often wound up being drab and repetitive, but I've always said: repetition doesn't matter as long as what you're doing is fun, and doesn't outlast its welcome. The basic shooting that composes most of the game is uninspired, but the epic boss battles, well-realized story, and incredibly fun mech piloting do just enough to balance the experience out.
  12. Nov 17, 2013
    I was a fan of the first game and i even liked the second part, but this game is just terrible. It has nothing in common with the previous games. It's just terrible. Seems like they wanted to make it look like Dead Space, but they failed, the gameplay is boring, like the plot. A great step back in the franchise.
  13. Aug 27, 2013
    Great jump forward in the Lost Planet games! This game is superior than the other two games (that I still enjoyed). The graphics are stunning and the controls feel great. I still haven't beaten it, but after 6 hours I'm still entertained.
    P.S. To fully enjoy this game, you need at least 1 friend
  14. Jun 12, 2016
    Lost Planet 3 has a good story, decent action, and some great graphics (for its time). Unfortunately, it takes about fours hours of gameplay before things get interesting, which I think is why there are so many reviews stating the game is boring and slow. This delayed arrival of the “good stuff” means you won't be able to really judge the merits of the game without going past someLost Planet 3 has a good story, decent action, and some great graphics (for its time). Unfortunately, it takes about fours hours of gameplay before things get interesting, which I think is why there are so many reviews stating the game is boring and slow. This delayed arrival of the “good stuff” means you won't be able to really judge the merits of the game without going past some platform's 2-hour refund limit. If being stuck on an ice-planet with a giant mech and aliens sounds like fun, go ahead and grab Lost Planet 3 when it's on sale.
    Total installation size on my hard-drive (with all DLC and HD cutscenes pack): 27 GB.

Jim Peyton is just your ordinary guy out to earn some money for his family back on Earth by taking mining contracts for the NEVEC corporation on a frozen ice-world. This expedition by NEVEC is supposed to be the first to ever set foot on this world, but as Jim finds out, his bosses have been less than truthful about many aspects of the operation. There are several elements that you might expect: strange alien creatures, a frenemy that becomes a friend, a stoic person of wisdom, a cold and windy setting. After about four hours of gameplay, Jim is out on a mission for NEVEC when Lost Planet 3 suddenly goes all Dead Space; he finds himself exploring decrepit structures while strange creatures pop out and attack without warning. Apparent betrayal, a mad scientist, and an evil corporation round out the cast, and while you've probably seen it all before, Lost Planet 3 implements these elements well. Few things about the story surprise, but it is told effectively, and the voice acting is top-notch.

For much of the game, you climb into your giant mech (called the “rig”) and go out into the frozen wastes doing missions for the NEVEC corporation. Some upgrades can be purchased for the rig, but it's not customizeable in the traditional sense. The weapons Jim can wield have decent punch and there are about a dozen to choose from. I stuck mostly to the simple assault rifle; decent damage and a large magazine made up for the twitchy iron sights (which hurts the effectiveness of the sniper rifles). No real weapon customization, just bespoke upgrades that can be purchased at the stores.

Enemies come in two varieties: human and alien. The humans are your standard gun-wielding soldiers who hide behind cover or charge your position with shotguns. Most of the time, though, you'll be fighting the alien Akrid. There is a good variety of Akrid; my favorites were the weird six-legged ones that dive behind cover and just barely peep out at you, before rearing up like a cobra and spitting volleys. In the early part of the game, the boss battles involve fighting several of the larger, tougher Akrid all at once (when in doubt, shoot the glowy bits). Later on, there are some individually unique (and enormous) bosses (still shoot the glowy bits, though). Some of the “lesser” bosses are re-used a few times. The battles are not over quickly, and offer a fair bit of variation and challenge. Be alert for QTEs; they don't form the core of the battles, but they are important for the finishers.

The graphics are Unreal 3, and except for some strangely low-res clouds, are great (I recommend disabling Motion Blur in the Options menu, though). The backdrops are large, ice glistens, and snow blows convincingly. There is a free DLC of the cutscenes in HD (the DLC is a 7.5 GB download), so those also look excellent. The soundtrack (by Jack Wall) is great; instead of going for a big orchestral score, Lost Planet 3 instead goes for a quiet, reflective approach for story moments, and scratchy, screechy strings in the horror moments. Once you're out in the rig looking for resources, though, the mood changes to catchy Celtic-style folk tunes.

A number the YouTube reviews of Lost Planet 3 are outright negative, and if you don't play the game for more than four hours, you'll probably agree with them. I stuck with it and was rewarded with a good game that in retrospect has been treated unfairly (perhaps because it was too different from Lost Planet 1 and 2? I haven't played those games at the time of this review). Recommended on sale if fighting aliens on an ice-planet (with real boss battles) sounds like your cup of tea – “on sale” because a truly great game doesn't require “sticking with it.”

Notes:
    - Multiplayer is dead. Don't plan on getting 100% of the game's achievements unless you can get some people together to help you out.
    - There is a technical issue with the mechanical claw of the Rig. Left mouse-button attaches it to an object; if that object needs to be rotated, the screen prompt is “tap WASD to turn the claw.” THIS IS WRONG. The correct way to turn the claw is to repeatedly tap the F key. This is a common enough issue that a quick forum search revealed the answer, but how the heck does that slip by the QA testing?
  15. Dec 29, 2013
    I'm giving it a zero score because I can't run it without a workaround. No game should crash upon opening for a substantial amount of people. Before buying, google "lost planet 3 crashes upon opening". Today is December 29, 2013. It was released August 27. They've had plenty of time to update/put out patch.

Just pathetic.
  16. Oct 11, 2013
    Great dialogue writing and acting can't help when the plot is boring and gameplay is so repetitive and irritating. Graphics are okay though. Stay away or you will be insanely bored and frustrated.
  17. Dec 17, 2013
    Really a solid solo game. Clever, well-acted dialogue. Graphics and audio and mostly intuitive controls make for an immersive campaign. The soundtrack reeks of Serenity, but is a solid selection and the use of environmental effects in playing it is just one of the subtle details the game offers. Yes it's a different game than 1 or 2. But I like change and all of its imperfections. And thisReally a solid solo game. Clever, well-acted dialogue. Graphics and audio and mostly intuitive controls make for an immersive campaign. The soundtrack reeks of Serenity, but is a solid selection and the use of environmental effects in playing it is just one of the subtle details the game offers. Yes it's a different game than 1 or 2. But I like change and all of its imperfections. And this one isn't so off-the-rails as, say, Dead Space 3 is to its predecessors. Pros: Mechs! Giant enemies! Glowy spots for obvious shooting targets! Cons: Lots of walking. Awkwardly placed cutscenes. Limited arsenal... Wait for it to come down in price and pick it up at the 20 30 level. Money well spent. Expand
  18. Aug 27, 2013
    Great story and voice acting. It takes a whole new spin on the series going back to the beginning. You have control of a Rig which is like your personal Mechwarrior, but you also leave the rig and use your weapons like pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, etc. Great game and enjoying every minute of it so far. Single player alone is worth getting the game for but there also Multiplayer whichGreat story and voice acting. It takes a whole new spin on the series going back to the beginning. You have control of a Rig which is like your personal Mechwarrior, but you also leave the rig and use your weapons like pistol, shotgun, assault rifle, etc. Great game and enjoying every minute of it so far. Single player alone is worth getting the game for but there also Multiplayer which has multiple game modes. This is a must have game for any Lost Planet fan, and in general if you like third person action games or Mechwarrior, then you would like this game, I definitely suggest it. Expand
  19. Aug 27, 2013
    Don't pay attention to the negative reviews. Those are based on expectations. This is a more story driven mature game than the first 2. If it was released with a new franchise name without the expectations, it would have been voted much higher for the excellent character and story development, with a little less frenetic action.
  20. FGM
    Jun 23, 2016
    I love Lost Planet EC, it's a linear. arcade shooter with a cool story and nice graphics and I love it for it. Graphics were really amazing at the time of release and they are still pretty good looking. People complain that it's just snow, but hey, I think they made it clear enough before you bought the game. Shame that the sequels feel sort of a downgrade when it comes to graphics, storyI love Lost Planet EC, it's a linear. arcade shooter with a cool story and nice graphics and I love it for it. Graphics were really amazing at the time of release and they are still pretty good looking. People complain that it's just snow, but hey, I think they made it clear enough before you bought the game. Shame that the sequels feel sort of a downgrade when it comes to graphics, story and gameplay. LP2 at least kept me engaged with the story a little bit as it's a follow up to LP EC, but LP3 just bored me to death and graphics were way worse than LP EC. Expand
  21. Sep 9, 2013
    This game is sooo Lost.... Lost planet 1 was very good.. but this is a shame. 80% in this game is wrong.

DO NOT BUY THE GAME at least you play some "demo" first or see some reviews... Sad day...

Saludos.
  22. Nov 11, 2013
    I`m Lost Planet fan since 2007. Own all games in the series on PC and X360. And i must say i`m totally disappointed with Lost Planet 3. This game is a garbage on all aspects animations look like PS2 or previous century PC, 'almost" open world is downloading every 2 minutes giving us stupid video logs nobody cares about, all details that were essential for LP are taken away (free anchor,I`m Lost Planet fan since 2007. Own all games in the series on PC and X360. And i must say i`m totally disappointed with Lost Planet 3. This game is a garbage on all aspects animations look like PS2 or previous century PC, 'almost" open world is downloading every 2 minutes giving us stupid video logs nobody cares about, all details that were essential for LP are taken away (free anchor, VSs, roll&shot, jump&shot, grenade shooting, rockets launcher, stun animation and many, many more) and are not replaced with anything valuable. This game shouldn`t be named Lost Planet. It has nothing to do with LP franchise but snow and few character names. But that`s not all. Game is horrible bugged and glitched. Many people can`t even start it or it crashes all the time and there is no patch 2 months after premiere... Multiplayer is worst experience i`ve ever had in video games. People who has DLC characters are invisible for these who don`t have it, same with some weapons, rank and progression is reset to 0 very often, Akrids act like bricks, lagg is everywhere even at people with very good connection indicator, you never know where your anchor will stick, FPS counter limited to 60 no matter what options you`ll set and what PC you have, etc. etc. etc. I could count endless things that are broken in this game. Won`t recommend this game to anybody even my worse enemy, The only good thing worth mentioning are locations and ice. EDN III looks really good and traveling with RIG is pretty fun especially when you`re allowed to play your MP3 (unfortunately game allows you only sometimes, when it wants it, not when you need it). Conclusion Don`t buy it. Don`t even think about this garbage. Go play Lost Planet 1, Lost Planet Colonies or even Lost Planet 2 (not perfect game but compared to LP3 it shines like a diamond). Expand
  23. Aug 30, 2013
    I got this on steam and even tried to cancel my pre order and I'm glad I didn't its a great game despite what reviews say I hated lost planet 2 because it had no story the story in this is great and set on the same ice planet from the first it also has great game play I can't recommend this enough
  24. Jan 7, 2014
    Much better then Lost Planet 2.
    Great atmosphere, great sounds and music, great history, good graphics.
    I pretty glad for this game, its not ruined like Lost Planet 2, this game is awesome.
  25. May 11, 2014
    I'd read all the previews. I knew it wasn't going to be like it's predecessor. But something was still off.
    To start with, the story telling is very good. You control Jim Peyton, an every day guy who travels to E.D.N III. You know, simple, everyday stuff. From the start, you notice he is not one dimensional. He is driven by other things than just money.
    Scenes with his wife, Grace, are
    Scenes with his wife, Grace, are perhaps the best part, as you start to care for Jim even more.
    The map, unfortunately, is small, but it seems rather large in comparison to the slow mech you drive. You trundle around in it for a large portion of the game, and engage in fights with giant Akrid, the denizens of E.D.N III. The fights mainly consist of QTE like button presses, but the swipes from the enemy must be blocked and countered before the QTE starts.
    The on foot section is fine, it's not great, it's not bad. In honesty, the only weapon you really need is the shotgun, accompanied by the frag grenade. You fight Akrid still, on foot, and have to shoot them in their convenient orange glowing areas. Some of the fights are genuinely challenging for a start, but then they just get annoying when you fire an explosive round at an Akrid, you kill it, but the explosion kills you and you have to start over again. It's standard third person shooting, and the cover system works fine too.
    It's a good game, but it's nowhere near great, and I just feel it could have been a lot better.
  26. Sep 1, 2013
    Story is always a good thing; Lost Planet 3 delivers with very Human and likeable characters in a fantastic setting with less cringe-y acting from the first game. Unfortunately LP3 is a prime example of what happens when a balance between story and gameplay are not kept at equilibrium; combat and gameplay feels toned down from LP2 with not much in the way of exploration or exciting action.Story is always a good thing; Lost Planet 3 delivers with very Human and likeable characters in a fantastic setting with less cringe-y acting from the first game. Unfortunately LP3 is a prime example of what happens when a balance between story and gameplay are not kept at equilibrium; combat and gameplay feels toned down from LP2 with not much in the way of exploration or exciting action. If anything it feels less fluid and more of a chore come the later battles, instead the game opts to tell you how to win without letting the player come up with his or her own strategy like with the previous games in a desperate attempt to advance the plot. While the aesthetics are nice to look at, levels are very tiny and linear with no room for exploration, missions are laughably short and Loading Screens are painfully plentiful. It really feels like the developer didn't do its research by missing the entire point on what the Lost Planet series was built on and ignoring Capcom's own attempts at perfecting the IP. Hopefully Spark Limited takes the moment to learn that while imitation is considered the best form of flattery, gutting a series from what it's known for in place of something that instead deserves to be in its own IP is what alienates your gamers from the series it enjoys. Expand
  27. Oct 27, 2015
    This game is underrated. The story between Jim and his wife Grace kept me engaged throughout the game, and are most of the reason why I kept playing. The game play is decent, and only feels repetitive in certain parts. The graphics are fantastic(especially for a game this old) and really bring you into the planet. The gun play is good, and I finished the game wanting more. It's a bit onThis game is underrated. The story between Jim and his wife Grace kept me engaged throughout the game, and are most of the reason why I kept playing. The game play is decent, and only feels repetitive in certain parts. The graphics are fantastic(especially for a game this old) and really bring you into the planet. The gun play is good, and I finished the game wanting more. It's a bit on the short side, at least for an open world. I finished it in just above 10 hours. There is some extra side-quests but they are mostly fetch-quests. The game has a good soundtrack, and believable and honest characters. I started the game with a somewhat negative opinion after looking at the reviews on here, and within the first 2 hours I can honestly say most of those negative things about it just aren't true.

-Does not play like deadspace, there is about an hour of the game where it's deadspace-esque in a dark unexplained ship.
    -It does feel a bit like work, but hey, you're on the planet working to pay for your family to have a better life. But after a few hours it becomes so much more then work, and you start getting more and more pieces of the true operation that's going on on the planet.
    -I did not have any crashing or freezing issues in this game(my build is decent but not by any means high end)
    -There are not that many cut scenes. (57:13 total time for all cut scenes in the game)

Overall I would definitely recommend this game, I picked it up on humble bundle for 1$ and if you can get it for a low price it is definitely worth checking out.
  28. Aug 28, 2013
    If you enjoyed the first two like I did, skip this installment due to the following: Crashes to desktop, hangs infinitely loading maps, can't mute ANYone's mic (so you get to hear someone's broken mic going completely crazy the entire match), lobby "host" gets to kick you if you kill them too much, grappling hook randomly goes where it wants (fires when you press it only 90% of the time),If you enjoyed the first two like I did, skip this installment due to the following: Crashes to desktop, hangs infinitely loading maps, can't mute ANYone's mic (so you get to hear someone's broken mic going completely crazy the entire match), lobby "host" gets to kick you if you kill them too much, grappling hook randomly goes where it wants (fires when you press it only 90% of the time), LAG oh how horrible the lag is which gives crap connections an advantage (you can be melee-ing someone multiple times from behind when you suddenly die from the same person), character animations used to be really smooth now they're N64 style, graphics are seriously mid-tier for PC (you will get stuck in the environment and you will take damage for it as well), weapon selection is crap now there is seriously a HUGE step back in variety with this game, mech (mech not MECHS) are almost non-existent and good for a spam kill or two before blowing up...the list of how frustrating this game is can go on for about an hour.

HUGE step back in the franchise, avoid it, the campaign is typical attempt to appeal to us "westerners" with it's new (horribly boring) story. Another reviewer also said it, Lost Planet 3 is trying to be like Dead Space now with it's atmosphere (even the menu music sounds like Dead Space's!), and they fail miserably. Wait for this game to be $5.
  29. Sep 5, 2013
    Very good story mode and graphics. Don't pay attention to the negative reviews.The gameplay is really fun at times and all together it makes a cool game in such an interesting setting!
  30. Aug 27, 2013
    The story is engaging and got me invested early especially the interactions between Jim and Grace. That was unique. I appreciated the gameplay and the option to go hand-to-hand or in the mech. I have played several other games from Spark in the past few years and this was by far the most thoughtful and most fun to play. Of the LP games, I started with 2 and felt the story in 3 was moreThe story is engaging and got me invested early especially the interactions between Jim and Grace. That was unique. I appreciated the gameplay and the option to go hand-to-hand or in the mech. I have played several other games from Spark in the past few years and this was by far the most thoughtful and most fun to play. Of the LP games, I started with 2 and felt the story in 3 was more interesting and fleshed out. It's good, summer fun and I'd recommend it. Expand

1. Nov 22, 2013
    In the end, Lost Planet 3 isn't all that bad. The gameplay is solid enough as long as you're on foot, and the story is well acted even if it doesn't end up being very interesting.
  2. Sep 23, 2013
    Even if you haven't played any of the other Lost Planet games, Lost Planet 3 is a great game with a lot of action and a good story.
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    As weird and ironic it sounds, given the score, this is the finest game in the Lost Planet trilogy, and the most successful title ever made by Spark Unlimited. Because compared to the abysmal Lost Planet 2, this mediocrity is a huge step forward.