Lucid PC

5.2

1. Sep 23, 2011
    Graphics:
    You can run the game full screen or in a window. If you run it full screen it's 800x600 and stretched 4:3 and you can't change it. If you run in a window on the desktop it's a non-resizable 800x600 window but at least the effects and things run at the right speed.
    Graphics:

The game doesn't seem to use directx, because my evga precision overlay wouldn't come up but it doesn't tax the graphic card at all, which is good for people like me with broken laptops that shut down in a faint at the mere sight of a fps. The effects in the game are nice, at least if you run in a window.

Sound:
    The in-game music is pleasant enough, the sound effects are not brilliant but at least not offensive in any way.

Gameplay:
    The way you match blocks in this game, by drawing a line through them with the mouse, and the rules, basically that you have to be able to trace a line through all the blocks to clear them, is refreshingly different. I was a bit confused about some of the finer points when I first played, mainly because the tutorial style text changes too fast to read if you are playing full screen, so I got game-overed quite quickly (no more moves). On only my 2nd game though, starting from the beginning I got all the way from level 1 to level 36 (of 55), which took a long time and I was getting quite bored by the end of it.

What I didn't realise, which would have been handy to know, is that you can escape back to the main menu, and even quit the game from the main menu exit button and come back later to continue your game. You can also continue from where you "died" so long as you don't exit. This is good because games can take a long time due to the low difficulty factor.

Summing up:
    I'm not sure that this game will give you long term pleasure. There aren't many steam achievments (I got half of them on my second game). I would say it's barely worth it in a steam sale (I got it when it was 50% off the normal steam price, so $2.50 (usual dollars equals pounds pricing nonsense for uk). It's probably not worth it full price considering what other games come up cheap in daily deals on steam, and CERTAINLY not worth the $20 it costs if you buy it from the program's own website.

Overall it did kind of click with me, and gave me a good feeling, so I'm sorry that I have to give this kind of harsh feedback, but there's really not that much content in the game: no online, no local vs. mode, not that many steam achievements, it's too easy so you progress too far too fast. Sorry, developers. :(
  2. Jan 17, 2013
    It's a simple puzzle game, it has nice music and a nice, polished feel. Never had any resolution problems of my own despite some people complaining about that. The gameplay can get boring easily, as can any "match-3-or-more" type of game, but this one may capture your attention a bit longer than others because of it's relaxing qualities and simplicity. There are only a small handfull ofIt's a simple puzzle game, it has nice music and a nice, polished feel. Never had any resolution problems of my own despite some people complaining about that. The gameplay can get boring easily, as can any "match-3-or-more" type of game, but this one may capture your attention a bit longer than others because of it's relaxing qualities and simplicity. There are only a small handfull of achievements but I must say they are fun to achieve (and kind of easy as well). There is a good 55 levels, they are somewhat repetitive but if you're looking for a casual game to relax to after a hard day's work, and this happens to be on sale (I got it for 75% off), than I'd definitely recommend it to kill some free time. Expand
  3. Mar 7, 2012
    Although the music is quite soothing, this is your typical run of the mill block matching game. The goal is to get a specific number of tasked blocks to clear a level. Each task requires you to make color blocks which pushes up your multiplier. If you don't follow the task, the multiplier drops back to zero. Lucid blocks can clear the field, but they are worth crazy points at the end of aAlthough the music is quite soothing, this is your typical run of the mill block matching game. The goal is to get a specific number of tasked blocks to clear a level. Each task requires you to make color blocks which pushes up your multiplier. If you don't follow the task, the multiplier drops back to zero. Lucid blocks can clear the field, but they are worth crazy points at the end of a level if you don't use them. It's kind of counter intuitive in that the point system is really about pushing up the multiplier rather than going for the largest color blocks. Keep your blocks small and you push up the multiplier to the point where the lucid blocks end up counting for tens of millions of points each. Expand
  4. Jan 9, 2012
    Acceptable little puzzle game, and while the gameplay is nice and simple, the game has too many flaws. Resolution cannot be changed, so you have to chose between ugly pixelated fullscreen, or a wee little window.Tthere is no level select, which is annoying, if you accidently press 'start' instead of 'continue', your progress is lost. And thats horrible since there is quite alot of levels.Acceptable little puzzle game, and while the gameplay is nice and simple, the game has too many flaws. Resolution cannot be changed, so you have to chose between ugly pixelated fullscreen, or a wee little window.Tthere is no level select, which is annoying, if you accidently press 'start' instead of 'continue', your progress is lost. And thats horrible since there is quite alot of levels. And you won't be able to beat them all at one sitting, because you will just get bored before it happens. Its a casual game, and it can keep your attention only for so long. Getting achievements is arguably the most fun and motivating part of this game, and they are pretty easy to get too. So if you're an achievement wh... er, collector, and like to 100% games, then buy it, not necceserily for the full price though (i got it on -75% sale and i consider it a great deal). I like however how there is no timer or any other fun killing **** its a very relaxing game, you can take your time to plan your actions forward. Expand
  5. Jan 10, 2012
    For a $1.25 on Steam sale this was a great little purchase. As the name implies it's a simple and relaxing match-three type game with a few strategic twists like accomplishing a series of simple "tasks" with a time limit, which earn you items to refresh the layout and the usual score multipliers for setting up larger chains. Well worth the measly price I paid for it although I'd hesitateFor a $1.25 on Steam sale this was a great little purchase. As the name implies it's a simple and relaxing match-three type game with a few strategic twists like accomplishing a series of simple "tasks" with a time limit, which earn you items to refresh the layout and the usual score multipliers for setting up larger chains. Well worth the measly price I paid for it although I'd hesitate to pay more than, say $3, as the level layouts and tasks aren't varied enough. Expand
  6. Mar 12, 2012
    Lucid is a casual puzzle game, in a similar style as Bejeweled. There are many blocks on the board, and your goal is to clear areas of two or more to clear them. The catch is that all connected blocks must be cleared at once by drawing a path through them that touches all blocks exactly once. Connecting blocks that match the goal color bring the level closer to completion.

The game tries

The game tries to be relaxing in aesthetics and in sound, and it succeeds. I don't care much for it, personally.

I'm not a fan of these sorts of puzzle games, since there is little reward for carefully-planned moves. I found this game boring pretty quickly, but I thought the same of Bejeweled, which is quite popular. If you like Bejeweled, then you may alo like Lucid. I don't think I'd recommend it otherwise. Even on sale, there are better ways to spend a few dollars.
tbd

No score yet - based on 1 Critic

1. Aug 12, 2011
    As it is, Lucid flows along happily over its 55 levels, but playing for high scores alone may not be enough to tempt you into the zone.