8.7

1. Jul 9, 2011
    This game is a souped up Flash game. It is cute and the music is suitable and fun at times. However I feel I'm often reduced to clicking on random objects to figure out what I'm supposed to do. There's an option to see a walkthrough for the current area, which is a must for this game to be playable, but you have to play a side scrolling shooter mini game to unlock it. I don't like readingThis game is a souped up Flash game. It is cute and the music is suitable and fun at times. However I feel I'm often reduced to clicking on random objects to figure out what I'm supposed to do. There's an option to see a walkthrough for the current area, which is a must for this game to be playable, but you have to play a side scrolling shooter mini game to unlock it. I don't like reading the whole walkthrough, just the steps I need to get me a bit further. Unfortunately every time you open the walkthrough, even for the same screen, you have to do this damn shooter thing. This game is so annoying, it drove me to stop playing and sign up to metacritic just to write this review!!!

On the other hand, it's a nice concept and I enjoyed it for the first hour or so.
  2. CRL
    Aug 31, 2011
    Yes. The visuals are amazingly vivid and beautiful. Yes. The music is fantastic. News flash: I don't buy a game because of it's visuals and music, for that I buy a documentary about Italy. I buy a game for a fun and interesting experience, and on that front this was quite frankly a waste of money. Each puzzle is either completely obvious or so ridiculous that you need to resort toYes. The visuals are amazingly vivid and beautiful. Yes. The music is fantastic. News flash: I don't buy a game because of it's visuals and music, for that I buy a documentary about Italy. I buy a game for a fun and interesting experience, and on that front this was quite frankly a waste of money. Each puzzle is either completely obvious or so ridiculous that you need to resort to the little walkthrough minigame to find the answer. Then, if you actually want to gain some satisfaction by completing a puzzle, the only solution is to randomly click on every possibly object that could be used in said puzzle. Also, it would have been nice to know that deleting flash cookies would clear all saves too... but apparently that's not important enough for the fine print. And there is no way anyone should be able to charge $10 for a game so obscenely boring and eventually extremely annoying. Expand
  3. Jul 23, 2012
    I can easily describe this game with the word "boring." The graphics are unique, sure, but just about everything else in the game is sub-par. Unless you are the kind of person that is a die hard point and click game lover, then I highly recommend you steer far clear of this title.
  4. Mar 19, 2012
    A pretty looking point-and-click adventure game without any great puzzles to solve (Space Invaders is not a great puzzle to solve). The bonus art pages being used as cheat sheets rather than as rewards for success annoyed me as well. Inoffensive. Two stars.

1. But the puzzles themselves are nearly an unmitigated joy.
  2. Remakes and IP revivals may be raking in the big bucks at the moment, but this artistically unique original is the game that really deserves your love and respect. [Nov 2009, p.106]
  3. Machinarium is a treat for the senses that demands more of your brain, a paradoxically gentle yet punishing riff on a genre that, until now, had been revived but sadly defanged for modern players.