8.8

1. Aug 24, 2010
  2. Sep 22, 2011
    It's good to see that this game has been recieved so well as it has, cause it's absolute worth the credit. The art style, the adorable robot characters, the clear, mute dialogues still able to convey a nice storyline, the fun puzzles that are to be solved.. Well, all has been said by now so there's nothing left for you but to get this game. And while your at it, also take a look at the somewhat overlooked Samorost series, I think you'll find quite some resemblance. Expand
  3. Nov 11, 2012
    One of the best games I have ever played. Possibly the best graphical adventure game I have seen. Beautiful artwork, challenging puzzles, great music, touching characters and story. A lot of care went into this. I wish there were more games as good as this. That said, I ended up playing this longer on the Android tablet version than the PC version - despite a few minor bugs in the Android version it seems more suited to that format. Expand
  4. Dec 31, 2011
    I loved it. Beuatiful art style, no text dialogues, great puzzles. Reminds me a lot of Neverhood. Have finished it without using a single hint. Limbo+Sequence+Machinarium = Indie Supergames. Enough said.
  5. Aug 8, 2011
    It´s a game full of atmosphere & lovely figures. One of the few I´m really proud I played to the end and solved all puzzled without cheating. But it needed a time till i found out, that the book gives recommendation to the puzzles. Maybe the best game ever ! I hope there will be anther like it. But it´ll be not beatable...
  6. Aug 30, 2011
    Never thought I would fall in love with a $10 indie puzzle game, but this is more than that. It's an adorable, fascinating adventure. The HAND DRAWN artstyle of this game should be in a museum and the the soundtrack is insanely good. The characters don't speak a word yet it's so easy to fall in love with them. It's also one of the few puzzle games where the puzzles actually make sense.
  7. Feb 17, 2011
    This is a really cool, well put together puzzle game. It is completely flash based with great music plus a cute and funny story. It's amusing, clever, witty, stupid, fun, easy, challenging, and frustrating all at the same time. Throw some retro 80s gaming into the mix and you've wrapped up an enjoyable adventure.
  8. Jan 4, 2011
    Short but beautifully sweet. The art is perfect, with great bites of humour. Recommended especially for fans of games like The Neverhood and Grim Fandango etc.
  9. Jul 30, 2011
    best game i have played in my life . Fantastic music, beautiful art, charm in spadefuls mean that otherwise frustratingly difficult puzzles are just a reason to sit and have an assault on your senses. Not only that, you're free to look at the solution if you get too annoyed, though if you do solve them you'll be grinning from the genius of it for ages.
  10. Mar 14, 2011
    Entrancingly beautiful and very playable with some fiendishly difficult puzzles. Wonderful atmosphere and music. If you played the flash game Samorost you will have an idea of what is in store for you. A classic graphical adventure / puzzle game that will keep you busy for a few days.
  11. Mar 10, 2011
    I really enjoyed this game. Fantastic art and wonderful music. A little too short for my taste but if you are looking for a nice adventure then buying Machinarium is not a lost money.
  12. Mar 22, 2011
    I was initially put off when I realised this was a point and click Flash based game but I quickly got over it once I started playing. As a lot of people have already mentioned this is a beautifully made game with fantastic attention to detail and extremely well thoughout puzzles. I'm more than happy to pay for something so expertly crafted.
  13. Jul 8, 2011
    If you're a fan of point-and-click puzzle games, you need to play Machinarium. The animation and music are a pleasure to witness and the puzzles range from clever to devilishly difficult. Without question, Machinarium is the best game of this type that I've ever played. Why not a score of 10 then? The game's done in Adobe Flash, and even with all of the suggestions to avoid a freeze or crash, it still happens, so save save save your progress like it's a bad habit. I may sound nit picky, but while most of the puzzles are satisfying to play and make you feel like you've accomplished something great when you complete them, there's a few that you really don't want to do a second time, and if you didn't save and the game crashes on you ohhh boy... Other than the glitches associated with Flash, Machinarium's an enjoyable, perfect point-and-click game and is my new benchmark for the genre. Expand
  14. Aug 4, 2011
    Amazing game!
    Just play the demo and you'll be hooked!
    The developers went really far in this adventure - the artwork is amazing and unique, sound is professional done, with some of the best sound tracks you'll encounter, the story is so cute, and the puzzles never reach the "insanely hard and ridiculous" mode :)
    Strongly recommend - even if you have never played an Adventure / Quest genre before.
  15. Nov 19, 2011
    This little game is a gem! The visuals and the music combine perfectly to create a surreal atmosphere that's both bizarre and charming. The characters are all quirky, in the best possible way. Now, too much cuteness can become tacky and even repulsive, but Machinarium manages to throw bucketfuls of cute at you without ever crossing that line. It's a bit like being in a cross between a Pixar short and the sci-fi cult classic, "Fantastic Planet" ("La Planète Sauvage"). The latter, coincidentally, is also a Czech production. The whole thing is clever and imaginative and completely immersive. The puzzles are fun and you're in for a few nice surprises and chuckles in terms of games within the game. The game is very short and the replayability is quite low, in large part because it's linear and the puzzles are not randomized. Some would criticize the game for this, but that would be misunderstanding Machinarium. It's more like a movie experience than a video game that you can play over and over, and I've had far less fun at movies for less time and a more money. But even if you play it only once, that one time is worth it and you're missing out if you avoid the game just for that. My only complaints are (1) the resolution is fixed, which is normal for this kind of hand-drawn artwork, but unsatisfying when you have a 1080p screen that's used only partly, and (2) since this is a flash game, when you right-click, you get Adobe's useless menu, which kind of breaks the mood. I bought it today, played through it, and it left me with a sense of joy and satisfaction, and maybe a little twinge that it's over. And to hell with replayability, I'll come back to it again just to revisit this wonderful little world. Expand
  16. Jun 19, 2012
    A very nicely done game with some great puzzles, fun mini-games and a wonderful created environment. I really enjoyed playing this one. There were a few puzzles which really got me stumped but, that's what a puzzle game is about, right? The hint system allows one to get either an easy hint or a full walk through if so needed (although I'd advise against using the full walk through unless you really can't figure it out).
    My only real qualm is one. I found the ending to be too brief. It would have been nice to have a good ending to an otherwise great puzzle game!
  17. Jul 1, 2013
    I have to admit I absolutely loved the art style in this game, it is so different and unique which separates this from so many other games. At first glimpse this games colors look dull and average but as you progress you will learn otherwise. The puzzles, the main part of this game, work well and smoothly. Some puzzles require quite a bit of thinking or you can always play the little mini-game to access the puzzle solver. The characters in this game make minimal noise and do not speak which adds a feeling of eeriness to the world. If you're a fan of puzzle games or just want to try something different, I recommend this game. Expand
  18. Apr 10, 2012
    An interesting journey through an atmospheric world with a phenomenal soundtrack. Definitely recommend this game, played it through two times and loved every bit of it. A few of the last puzzles can be frustrating though so beware. Beautiful game in every way.
  19. Jul 17, 2012
    Machinarium is quite simply one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. The game is beautiful, with brilliant animation and a great hand drawn art style creating a charm that immerses you in the game world. The music is great and also adds to the immersion. The story is full of interesting, quirky characters and is strung together with intriguing, intelligently designed puzzles (with only a rare few feeling confusing). Overall, Machinarium is a unique, refreshing experience that oozes charm and style. I would highly recommend this to all. Expand
  20. Aug 9, 2012
    This is one of my favourite games of all time. I love puzzle games. I love cute characters. I love a good story. With Machinarium I got all this and more. I had problems with some puzzles and felt that the solutions were a little weird. You know like old point and click adventures with non-logic solutions... This can be charming but also frustrating... I would give this game a 9.5 because of the slight frustrations from time to time. Currently overall ratings are 9 so I'll give it a 10! Expand
  21. Aug 14, 2012
    If you love Scumm Engine games of yesteryear such as Full throttle, the Dig, Sam and Max etc... Then you will thoroughly enjoy this game. Amanita created a very cool world with this game, likeable characters, and surprisingly tough puzzles. I have always tried to complete games like this without the use of walkthroughs, and I can honestly say I only had to look up the location of a single item. Note that many of the puzzles took a substantial amount of time to solve, but are extremely rewarding when you figure them out. On the other hand, if you have no patience for puzzles this is probably not the game for you. Not the flashiest (no pun intended) game, but great music and style were well worth the price/time invested. Expand
  22. Nov 9, 2012
    Signed up to give this game the feedback it deserves. I come from an adventure game background, (Monkey Island, The Dig, Full Throttle, LOOM, Beneath A Steel Sky etc). For those of use who love the genre, very little has been produced in the last decade. When it is, it isn't always great.

But this is great.

ARTWORK: At one point, I was staring at a gas canister on an elevator in the
    game, wondering how it got from being visualised to finished result. A mix of simple and super detailed, these are characterful and top notch environments. Great attention to detail, such as an unfocused panning foreground in some scenes.

CHARACTERS: For a game without dialogue, I got a great feel for the main character, loved what I was allowed to know about the villains, and was attached enough to drive the story.

STORY: A lot of cut scenes, both of scene-setting and back-story could have been used, but it's to the game's glory that they weren't. It allows the game to move faster, and lets you work out what kind of a setting/society/government they are in as you go along, rather than having it all spelled out for you. What you do know keeps you playing, a mix of survival, save the day, save the girl, and exploration.

SOUNDTRACK: I thought it was perfect match, and I have no complaints. A good variety, subtly faded in and out if the source is a radio within the game etc. Again, for a small production, knowing they must have recorded sounds from the musicians in the street down to the screwing on of a metal lid is inspiring.

PUZZLES: I marvel at the poor reviews from people who found it too hard. If you are used to adventure games, this borders on a little too easy. It makes it playable in a day, whilst having the enjoyment of eureka moments. The puzzles are fair/sensible, one or two have a red herring thrown in, but there is nothing that will have you wandering the same screens for hours wondering if you missed an item somewhere.

The second main distinction between this and other point and clicks in my experience (the first being the lack of dialogue), is the PUZZLE puzzles thrown in. This isn't just a case of 'pick up x, combine x and y, give to z', you will get some great IQ test moments! I found these deeply satisfying, and very constructive. It's easy to feel like you're wasting time even on good games, you will feel smarter after these mini-games! They are all possible, but they are rewarding, so don't expect first-try success.

I noticed a great many parallels to Beneath A Steel Sky, and it's a worthy homage. Certain locations and the end scenes for sure. Machinarium is very much its own unique world and style, so this mirroring is done tastefully and very nostalgically for those of us who have played B.A.S.S.

In a world where expensive graphics cards need to be bought to realistically portray chunks of flesh flying everywhere, this is a lovingly made, very skilfully crafted game. From the sound effects to the backgrounds to the puzzles, it is well worth buying and playing. Think of a man carving an exquisitely ornamented cabinet by candle-light, knowing many of the finer details may go unnoticed anyway. That is the sort of deidcated talent this game harks to.

Currently it can be bought cheaper than ever via Humble Bundle 4, google that if you're interested.

If you have enjoyed any adventure games in the past, be ready to add this to your list.

Charm, fun, variety and style.
  23. Dec 27, 2012
    This is my favorite adventure game. The story and characters are very interesting despite the total absence of dialog! The puzzles are very tough, but also very logical. No "combine the fish-hook with the balloon of laughing gas" kind of nutty solutions. I used hints a few times, but later I regretted it because I was 75% to the solution when I gave up. The artwork is really beautiful, more so than any other game I have played. I used a version downloaded from Steam. I did not have any technical problems. I think this is a really special game that I would recommend to anyone who likes puzzles and adventure games. Expand
  24. Feb 4, 2014
    Amanita Design's games are always great. Beautiful artwork, great and interesting music and sounds. And I think Amanitas games are the only point-and-click-adventures that I ever played without getting annoyed and then start using a walkthrough. The puzzles are not easy, but somehow solvable. And if you ever get stuck, there is a mini-game, which lets you unlock a walkthrough for the current screen.

People are complaining about the short duration of the game. I don't. I'd rather have 6 great hours than 15 average.

Only thing that I thought could be done better: Though the world with all its beauty and details is really immersive, the story is not. You start to like the world and its characters, but somehow the story just seems like a chain of more or less random events, and not like a complete, connected story. Maybe because it is just difficult to tell a story without any words...

Anyway - highly recommended!! Looking forward to Anamita's next games!!
  25. Jan 4, 2014
    I have played through this game about 4 times now and I still enjoy it so much, it is still one of the best games I have ever played. Graphics are beautiful and story line is superb and soundtrack is remarkable you will never regret buying this. 10/10
  26. Apr 16, 2013
    Gee son, if you have not played Machinarium yet then how can you be a true master race gamer?
    Also beware for ultrasexymagichot Music from Tomas Dvorak
  27. Jul 28, 2013
    Definitely not a game for people with short patience. Hard puzzles, but not impossible, that make you think before making your next move, and not randomly clicking your way to find the exit as fast as possible. Beautiful artwork and backgrounds, good soundtrack and likable characters with a simple story to tell. I got on steam for $3 and it definitely paid off.
    The only reason I find to
    not give this game a 10, is that sometimes, depending on your graphic settings, the game just froze and the animation crashed. But despite some minor glitches, it's a gem hidden in a sea of mindless "point'n'clicks". Expand
  28. Jul 31, 2013
    An immersive point-and-click adventure with extremely beautiful soundtrack and artwork. Seriously, the soundtrack is so amazing and mindblowing, I haven't seen anything like it in a game before. Useful tips (along with a whole walkthrough) are included in the game in case you are lost. You have to be a bit patient the puzzles are varying from old school to innovative and can get quite hard.
    Enjoy the music and have a good time, 100% guaranteed. Actually, as I wrote this review, I got a sudden urge to go and dive into the game once more to relive the perfection again.
  29. Aug 8, 2013
    Machinarium is one incredibly beautiful game. It has wonderful graphics, exceedingly cute characters, and just a wonderful, wonderful setting. I love just about everything it has to offer, from interesting puzzles to awesome music.

My only gripe, or rather, lament, with it is the lack of continuation. It's neither based on chapters nor episodes, and looks to be a one-off unless the
    creators announce a sequel to it. It has lots of potential. I just wish it'd continue.

Oh, and, if you're ever stuck in this game and are too lazy or impatient to check out communities online or youtube walkthroughs, the game offers you hints provided you play a game for it first. It's a fine addition the Machinarium and I love that they thought of little details like this.

If you're into pretty/soothing visuals, cute characters and fun puzzles to solve, Machinarium is your game! Just be warned that it will entertain you for a few hours at best before the game ends and you're left to mourn its premature conclusion.
  30. Oct 25, 2013
    The puzzles in this game are not very challenging.
    The artwork is beautiful and the story is cute.
    Overall Machinarium is a very relaxing game to play.
    If you have the chance, give this game a try.
  31. Dec 27, 2013
    Beautiful, very clever.
    Finished in 10 hours, absolutely worth the price.

One small minor defect is the control is not always perfect. Some shortcuts of scenes already played would have been welcome.
  32. Dec 12, 2013
    Almost a classic... almost, because he lacks VERY little to be it...

However, highly recommended graphic adventure: the choice of the setting, with a series of "neurotic" robots, one more "cute" than the other, makes it almost irresistible.

Again, warmly recommended...
  33. Aug 2, 2014
    Fantastic adventure game that has all the qualities of a true point and click adventure classic. Beautiful hand-drawn visuals, non-dialog communication system, touching story of that one little robot, plenty of logic puzzles and action mini-games, solutions are mostly logic, but even if you get stuck you can just play a little rocket mini-game and after successfully finishing it you will get a nice in-game visual. Lots of humor and I just looove that robotic jazz band, those guys rock! That brings me to an amazing electronic soundtrack by Tomas Dvorak that I still play just for the background ambience until this day. This is how a good adventure games should be done. 9/10 Expand
  34. Dec 31, 2013
    It's a very artistic game, it's like every location is a painting, the music goes perfectly with the environment. I think it's an underrated game. It's a change from all those shooting games.

1. But the puzzles themselves are nearly an unmitigated joy.
  2. Remakes and IP revivals may be raking in the big bucks at the moment, but this artistically unique original is the game that really deserves your love and respect. [Nov 2009, p.106]
  3. Machinarium is a treat for the senses that demands more of your brain, a paradoxically gentle yet punishing riff on a genre that, until now, had been revived but sadly defanged for modern players.