8.8

1. JohnB
    Nov 6, 2009
    A truly exceptional piece of work that proves that all you need to compete with big-budget graphics are a few talents artists and some big ideas. A wonderfully crafted tale with plenty of heart-warming moments. It stumbles with minor technical limitations and a handful of infuriating puzzles but is carried by the strength of it's vision.
  2. MicaelS
    Dec 3, 2009
    Beautiful scenes, drawn by artists with an eye for charming details. An adventure without death and shooting. Just the good guy trying to find his friend and helping others along the way. Nice. I love it.
  3. TylerD
    Nov 1, 2009
    Incredible atmosphere, puzzles and artwork. This is one of the the best adventure games I've played in years.
  4. Gabriel
    Oct 23, 2009
    Fantastic game! Point and click adventure with superb art and clever puzzles, a pitty it's a bit too short, but it's worth every praise.
  5. Bill
    Oct 24, 2009
    Amazing game, artistically as well as strategically. It's an adventure, puzzle, and exploration game all in one. Totally unique, never seen anything like it before! I HIGHLY recommend, best buy ever.
  6. BobJ
    Oct 30, 2009
    This game had fantastic visuals and was one of the most challenging point and click adventures I have ever played. I give it a ten!
  7. CallumS
    Nov 12, 2009
    A very beautiful game that takes me back to my childhood playing monkey island and full throttle. The puzzles are not that difficult as you are only allowed to move within small areas so items and objectives are easy to see. I was trying too hard with some puzzles as more information was given than needed to complete them. Also most of the puzzles are very similar, in that you look at a A very beautiful game that takes me back to my childhood playing monkey island and full throttle. The puzzles are not that difficult as you are only allowed to move within small areas so items and objectives are easy to see. I was trying too hard with some puzzles as more information was given than needed to complete them. Also most of the puzzles are very similar, in that you look at a control panel on the wall and have to move lights/beads from a to b in a certain way. The main gripe would be the control system, you're only allowed to interact with items that are close to you. Being used to other game controls I constantly tried to click objects with inventory items half way across the screen and nothing happening. This resulted in me trying to right click to place the item back into inventory but this brings up the flash menu and slows the game down for a few seconds (a limitation with flash however). So then you have to move you cursor to the top of the screen place the item back, walk over to the object, get the item out again and then use it. I just can Expand
  8. MarkM
    Dec 31, 2009
    This game is a masterpiece of art, music, and comedy. I love the little things the robot does to make me laugh, sometimes randomly. Machinarium is full of suprises, at least for the first playthrough. But even after that it should be enjoyable to play just for the artistic detail. The puzzles are balanced and enjoyable, and there is nothing wrong with having a few puzzles that stump you. This game is a masterpiece of art, music, and comedy. I love the little things the robot does to make me laugh, sometimes randomly. Machinarium is full of suprises, at least for the first playthrough. But even after that it should be enjoyable to play just for the artistic detail. The puzzles are balanced and enjoyable, and there is nothing wrong with having a few puzzles that stump you. Once you figure those out, you realize the answer was right there. So difficulty really depends on your state of thinking. I don't have a problem playing this game in Window Mode; but, I gave the game a 9, because it lags in full screen. I have a widescreen 1440x900, which it probably wasn't formated for, but I'm not complaining. Expand
  9. DaveS
    Oct 19, 2009
    Perhaps one of the best true point and click adventures since the likes of The Neverhood and Grim Fandago. Unique and charming, this games really draws you in to it's surreal world of hand drawn robots and incredible backgrounds. Shame its not longer.
  10. JoeP
    Nov 16, 2009
    Incredible game. It easily made it into my top five in my 20 years of gaming. Very nice graphic, perfect soundtrack and a first: It's a game you want to win mostly because you like the characters.
  11. edied
    Dec 28, 2009
    This is an exceptional game, full of mind-benders and gorgeous cityscapes. Best of all: it has a real (and touching) plot that makes the little robots seem more human than many other game characters I've encountered. The lack of words was refreshing, and the gameplay was even more satisfying than my first encounter with Myst back in the 90s. Get this game today and support some This is an exceptional game, full of mind-benders and gorgeous cityscapes. Best of all: it has a real (and touching) plot that makes the little robots seem more human than many other game characters I've encountered. The lack of words was refreshing, and the gameplay was even more satisfying than my first encounter with Myst back in the 90s. Get this game today and support some awesome designers with a bright future! Expand
  12. Nov 11, 2012
    One of the best games I have ever played. Possibly the best graphical adventure game I have seen. Beautiful artwork, challenging puzzles, great music, touching characters and story. A lot of care went into this. I wish there were more games as good as this. That said, I ended up playing this longer on the Android tablet version than the PC version - despite a few minor bugs in the AndroidOne of the best games I have ever played. Possibly the best graphical adventure game I have seen. Beautiful artwork, challenging puzzles, great music, touching characters and story. A lot of care went into this. I wish there were more games as good as this. That said, I ended up playing this longer on the Android tablet version than the PC version - despite a few minor bugs in the Android version it seems more suited to that format. Expand
  13. Dec 31, 2011
    I loved it. Beuatiful art style, no text dialogues, great puzzles. Reminds me a lot of Neverhood. Have finished it without using a single hint. Limbo+Sequence+Machinarium = Indie Supergames. Enough said.
  14. krise
    Jan 21, 2010
    Wonderfully artistic with extreme detail, lovable characters and interesting puzzles which clue you to the next level. Absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait for Amanita Design's next adventure.
  15. SiL
    Dec 29, 2009
    A wonderful game. Wom Bat's score is unfair. Flash began it's life as an interactive animation engine. This game is therefore well suited to Flash. And you know that if your PC can load Flash, you can play this game. No crazy system requirements! Plus it's multiplatform. It's inexpensive, lovingly crafted and nicely balanced. You can try a demo on the creator's A wonderful game. Wom Bat's score is unfair. Flash began it's life as an interactive animation engine. This game is therefore well suited to Flash. And you know that if your PC can load Flash, you can play this game. No crazy system requirements! Plus it's multiplatform. It's inexpensive, lovingly crafted and nicely balanced. You can try a demo on the creator's website, and if you enjoy it, buy and play immediately. It's a pleasure to give a small sum of money directly to those who spent so many hours to deliver such a beautiful experience. Games like this will change the world. With all the hating on our medium, having just one newspaper editor play this in their spare time might change the way they report on games - this is art pure and simple. Expand
  16. WillB
    Dec 17, 2009
    Pure class. From the artwork to the music and animation Machinarium oozes style. The puzzles are expertly crafted and balanced at just the right difficulty. Its obvious that a lot of time and effort has gone into this game. What with all the hype surrounding big money games like COD4:MW2 and the like I'm just glad games like this are still being made. A rare treat.
  17. Aug 24, 2010
  18. Sep 22, 2011
    It's good to see that this game has been recieved so well as it has, cause it's absolute worth the credit. The art style, the adorable robot characters, the clear, mute dialogues still able to convey a nice storyline, the fun puzzles that are to be solved.. Well, all has been said by now so there's nothing left for you but to get this game. And while your at it, also take a look at theIt's good to see that this game has been recieved so well as it has, cause it's absolute worth the credit. The art style, the adorable robot characters, the clear, mute dialogues still able to convey a nice storyline, the fun puzzles that are to be solved.. Well, all has been said by now so there's nothing left for you but to get this game. And while your at it, also take a look at the somewhat overlooked Samorost series, I think you'll find quite some resemblance. Expand
  19. Aug 30, 2011
    Never thought I would fall in love with a $10 indie puzzle game, but this is more than that. It's an adorable, fascinating adventure. The HAND DRAWN artstyle of this game should be in a museum and the the soundtrack is insanely good. The characters don't speak a word yet it's so easy to fall in love with them. It's also one of the few puzzle games where the puzzles actually make sense.
  20. Mar 10, 2011
    I really enjoyed this game. Fantastic art and wonderful music. A little too short for my taste but if you are looking for a nice adventure then buying Machinarium is not a lost money.
  21. Jul 8, 2011
    If you're a fan of point-and-click puzzle games, you need to play Machinarium. The animation and music are a pleasure to witness and the puzzles range from clever to devilishly difficult. Without question, Machinarium is the best game of this type that I've ever played. Why not a score of 10 then? The game's done in Adobe Flash, and even with all of the suggestions to avoid a freeze orIf you're a fan of point-and-click puzzle games, you need to play Machinarium. The animation and music are a pleasure to witness and the puzzles range from clever to devilishly difficult. Without question, Machinarium is the best game of this type that I've ever played. Why not a score of 10 then? The game's done in Adobe Flash, and even with all of the suggestions to avoid a freeze or crash, it still happens, so save save save your progress like it's a bad habit. I may sound nit picky, but while most of the puzzles are satisfying to play and make you feel like you've accomplished something great when you complete them, there's a few that you really don't want to do a second time, and if you didn't save and the game crashes on you ohhh boy... Other than the glitches associated with Flash, Machinarium's an enjoyable, perfect point-and-click game and is my new benchmark for the genre. Expand
  22. Dec 12, 2013
    Almost a classic... almost, because he lacks VERY little to be it...

However, highly recommended graphic adventure: the choice of the setting, with a series of "neurotic" robots, one more "cute" than the other, makes it almost irresistible.

Again, warmly recommended...
  23. OliverS
    Oct 24, 2009
    Fantastic music, beautiful art, charm in spadefuls mean that otherwise frustratingly difficult puzzles are just a reason to sit and have an assault on your senses. Not only that, you're free to look at the solution if you get too annoyed, though if you do solve them you'll be grinning from the genius of it for ages. It didn't get a 10 simply because I have qualms with Fantastic music, beautiful art, charm in spadefuls mean that otherwise frustratingly difficult puzzles are just a reason to sit and have an assault on your senses. Not only that, you're free to look at the solution if you get too annoyed, though if you do solve them you'll be grinning from the genius of it for ages. It didn't get a 10 simply because I have qualms with giving out a perfect score unless I actually think it's perfect. Expand
  24. IvanV
    Dec 24, 2009
    One of the best games I have played in a long time. Beautiful graphics, perfect soundtrack and lots of funny moments. Unlike in some other adventure games, all puzzles actually make sense. I would say this is one of the best (adventure) games ever, at least as good as my all-time-favorite Neverhood.
  25. RussellL
    Dec 9, 2009
    Fantastic game. I must admit I got stuck a couple of times, but if it wasn't difficult, it would be a beautiful but dull game. The whole point is to get your noggin working and here the balance between genius and imbecile was just right. Having the walk-through book with its mini game, just incase, is a stroke of genius. I'm eagerly awaiting more from these guys and a revival of Fantastic game. I must admit I got stuck a couple of times, but if it wasn't difficult, it would be a beautiful but dull game. The whole point is to get your noggin working and here the balance between genius and imbecile was just right. Having the walk-through book with its mini game, just incase, is a stroke of genius. I'm eagerly awaiting more from these guys and a revival of point and click adventures in general. Expand
  26. LouisM
    Nov 14, 2009
    I would have given it a 9 or better but it was too short and the only other issue was having to scroll up to put items back into inventory. I know, it sounds petty, but if an item did not interact with anything else nearby, I had to drag it back up into inventory befor I could do anything else. It happened all the time. Right clicking to make it go away would be better. Otherwise, I would have given it a 9 or better but it was too short and the only other issue was having to scroll up to put items back into inventory. I know, it sounds petty, but if an item did not interact with anything else nearby, I had to drag it back up into inventory befor I could do anything else. It happened all the time. Right clicking to make it go away would be better. Otherwise, excellent game with good puzzles, great animation, soundtrack, etc. I hope there will be a sequel or more like it. Expand
  27. RicardoM
    Nov 14, 2009
    Can't stop myself playing it all over again just to listen to the music and admire the beautiful scenes!
  28. BrunoG
    Oct 19, 2009
    A true masterpiece! Brilliant artwork and excellent puzzles. A must-have for sure!
  29. tutyittot
    Dec 15, 2009
    Wom Bat - you shouldn't be bragging about how the game is made. You should be objective and tell out that this game is very funny and is cool to play. Yeah its a flash game and what then? You know how much it takes to make a flash game like this? I think you don't.Cos if you know you wouldn't say things like that. The game is worth 15 Euro for everyone who likes to play Wom Bat - you shouldn't be bragging about how the game is made. You should be objective and tell out that this game is very funny and is cool to play. Yeah its a flash game and what then? You know how much it takes to make a flash game like this? I think you don't.Cos if you know you wouldn't say things like that. The game is worth 15 Euro for everyone who likes to play Great games! And MACHINARIUM is a hell of a good piece of ART and GAME ! Giving out 3 from 10 because its a flash based game is ridiculous ! Expand
  30. JohnK
    Oct 25, 2009
    Perfection none of the big developers can even dream of coming close to. Touching, poignant and funny. A perfect game to really contrast how awful the games of today are (I'm sorry, but somebody has to say it). A perfect ten.
  31. Aug 8, 2011
    It´s a game full of atmosphere & lovely figures. One of the few I´m really proud I played to the end and solved all puzzled without cheating. But it needed a time till i found out, that the book gives recommendation to the puzzles. Maybe the best game ever ! I hope there will be anther like it. But it´ll be not beatable...
  32. Feb 17, 2011
    This is a really cool, well put together puzzle game. It is completely flash based with great music plus a cute and funny story. It's amusing, clever, witty, stupid, fun, easy, challenging, and frustrating all at the same time. Throw some retro 80s gaming into the mix and you've wrapped up an enjoyable adventure.
  33. Jan 4, 2011
    Short but beautifully sweet. The art is perfect, with great bites of humour. Recommended especially for fans of games like The Neverhood and Grim Fandango etc.
  34. Jul 30, 2011
    best game i have played in my life . Fantastic music, beautiful art, charm in spadefuls mean that otherwise frustratingly difficult puzzles are just a reason to sit and have an assault on your senses. Not only that, you're free to look at the solution if you get too annoyed, though if you do solve them you'll be grinning from the genius of it for ages.
  35. Mar 14, 2011
    Entrancingly beautiful and very playable with some fiendishly difficult puzzles. Wonderful atmosphere and music. If you played the flash game Samorost you will have an idea of what is in store for you. A classic graphical adventure / puzzle game that will keep you busy for a few days.
  36. Mar 22, 2011
    I was initially put off when I realised this was a point and click Flash based game but I quickly got over it once I started playing. As a lot of people have already mentioned this is a beautifully made game with fantastic attention to detail and extremely well thoughout puzzles. I'm more than happy to pay for something so expertly crafted.
  37. Aug 4, 2011
    Amazing game!
    Just play the demo and you'll be hooked!
    The developers went really far in this adventure - the artwork is amazing and unique, sound is professional done, with some of the best sound tracks you'll encounter, the story is so cute, and the puzzles never reach the "insanely hard and ridiculous" mode :)
    Strongly recommend - even if you have never played an Adventure / Quest genre before.
  38. Nov 19, 2011
    This little game is a gem! The visuals and the music combine perfectly to create a surreal atmosphere that's both bizarre and charming. The characters are all quirky, in the best possible way. Now, too much cuteness can become tacky and even repulsive, but Machinarium manages to throw bucketfuls of cute at you without ever crossing that line. It's a bit like being in a cross between aThis little game is a gem! The visuals and the music combine perfectly to create a surreal atmosphere that's both bizarre and charming. The characters are all quirky, in the best possible way. Now, too much cuteness can become tacky and even repulsive, but Machinarium manages to throw bucketfuls of cute at you without ever crossing that line. It's a bit like being in a cross between a Pixar short and the sci-fi cult classic, "Fantastic Planet" ("La Planète Sauvage"). The latter, coincidentally, is also a Czech production. The whole thing is clever and imaginative and completely immersive. The puzzles are fun and you're in for a few nice surprises and chuckles in terms of games within the game. The game is very short and the replayability is quite low, in large part because it's linear and the puzzles are not randomized. Some would criticize the game for this, but that would be misunderstanding Machinarium. It's more like a movie experience than a video game that you can play over and over, and I've had far less fun at movies for less time and a more money. But even if you play it only once, that one time is worth it and you're missing out if you avoid the game just for that. My only complaints are (1) the resolution is fixed, which is normal for this kind of hand-drawn artwork, but unsatisfying when you have a 1080p screen that's used only partly, and (2) since this is a flash game, when you right-click, you get Adobe's useless menu, which kind of breaks the mood. I bought it today, played through it, and it left me with a sense of joy and satisfaction, and maybe a little twinge that it's over. And to hell with replayability, I'll come back to it again just to revisit this wonderful little world. Expand
  39. Jan 9, 2012
    THE REASON, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. PRISTINE ARTWORK OF EPIC PROPORTIONS, STYLISHLY CREATIVE PUZZLES AND THE BAR OF CHALLENGE IS SET FAR IN CLOUDS. Machinarium, is epic-ally phenomenal leap, in the puzzle universe of games. From the sometimes extreme challenge of levels, the careful and utter beauty of the artwork, and the symphony of the pure soundtrack. This is must buy, no , its a buy rightTHE REASON, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. PRISTINE ARTWORK OF EPIC PROPORTIONS, STYLISHLY CREATIVE PUZZLES AND THE BAR OF CHALLENGE IS SET FAR IN CLOUDS. Machinarium, is epic-ally phenomenal leap, in the puzzle universe of games. From the sometimes extreme challenge of levels, the careful and utter beauty of the artwork, and the symphony of the pure soundtrack. This is must buy, no , its a buy right now. So buy it! CDO Expand
  40. Jun 19, 2012
    A very nicely done game with some great puzzles, fun mini-games and a wonderful created environment. I really enjoyed playing this one. There were a few puzzles which really got me stumped but, that's what a puzzle game is about, right? The hint system allows one to get either an easy hint or a full walk through if so needed (although I'd advise against using the full walk throughA very nicely done game with some great puzzles, fun mini-games and a wonderful created environment. I really enjoyed playing this one. There were a few puzzles which really got me stumped but, that's what a puzzle game is about, right? The hint system allows one to get either an easy hint or a full walk through if so needed (although I'd advise against using the full walk through unless you really can't figure it out).
    My only real qualm is one. I found the ending to be too brief. It would have been nice to have a good ending to an otherwise great puzzle game!
  41. Dec 13, 2011
    A beautiful and lonely flash game that is full of surprises. There have only been a few times that I got completely lost and found myself clicking everything with frustration. Overall I deeply enjoyed this artistic game and music very much and hope for more like it.
  42. Feb 12, 2012
    Okay it might just be a flash game (deletes all browsing history on computer = loses all Machinarium save data - Ahhhhh!), but it oozes charm. An absolute delight of a game with beautiful hand drawn scenes and wonderful memorable characters (I still feel bloody awful about that cat). As a point-and-click adventure it does of course suffer from moments of random clicking allover the screenOkay it might just be a flash game (deletes all browsing history on computer = loses all Machinarium save data - Ahhhhh!), but it oozes charm. An absolute delight of a game with beautiful hand drawn scenes and wonderful memorable characters (I still feel bloody awful about that cat). As a point-and-click adventure it does of course suffer from moments of random clicking allover the screen as you fail to pick up on a clue, but less so than other games of its type. I think the only thing which I didn't appreciate about the game, was the fact that it was flash based. It would have been nice to have something a little more robust, especially for my money. But I'm nit picking there because this is a truly wonderful little game with some brilliantly designed puzzles and oodles of charm. Expand
  43. Mar 21, 2012
    really really great ambient music and awesome graphics is what makes this game great in my opinion. though for me, some puzzles were way too obscure.
  44. Mar 14, 2014
    Cool. These little games are becoming more adorable. Great artwork. Very amusing gameplay. I think Machinarium is that kind of games you love at first sight.
  45. Jul 1, 2013
    I have to admit I absolutely loved the art style in this game, it is so different and unique which separates this from so many other games. At first glimpse this games colors look dull and average but as you progress you will learn otherwise. The puzzles, the main part of this game, work well and smoothly. Some puzzles require quite a bit of thinking or you can always play the littleI have to admit I absolutely loved the art style in this game, it is so different and unique which separates this from so many other games. At first glimpse this games colors look dull and average but as you progress you will learn otherwise. The puzzles, the main part of this game, work well and smoothly. Some puzzles require quite a bit of thinking or you can always play the little mini-game to access the puzzle solver. The characters in this game make minimal noise and do not speak which adds a feeling of eeriness to the world. If you're a fan of puzzle games or just want to try something different, I recommend this game. Expand
  46. Apr 10, 2012
    An interesting journey through an atmospheric world with a phenomenal soundtrack. Definitely recommend this game, played it through two times and loved every bit of it. A few of the last puzzles can be frustrating though so beware. Beautiful game in every way.
  47. Nov 7, 2012
    This game is as short as awesome. 'nuff said! (No seriously, that's it. I'm currently typing this due to the character's minimum limit, nothing else to say: the game excels at what it does as simple as a point and click adventure might be, and it's damn artsy!)
  48. Jul 11, 2012
    What a ripper of a game, normally not my type of thing, but they have nailed it. The whole thing is put together really well, clever puzzles and amazing aesthetics is the going experience. The great art direction does a good job of hinting just enough on what to do next, and if you do get stuck they have incorporated a mini game which takes about a minute to complete to have a peak at aWhat a ripper of a game, normally not my type of thing, but they have nailed it. The whole thing is put together really well, clever puzzles and amazing aesthetics is the going experience. The great art direction does a good job of hinting just enough on what to do next, and if you do get stuck they have incorporated a mini game which takes about a minute to complete to have a peak at a comic style set of pictures nudging you on what you should be doing. The only thing is would say was a disappointment was the length, if only the game was longer . It set out to do what it wanted to and i think the length was decent for what the game actually is, but i enjoyed it so much that i wanted more! Expand
  49. Jul 17, 2012
    Machinarium is quite simply one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. The game is beautiful, with brilliant animation and a great hand drawn art style creating a charm that immerses you in the game world. The music is great and also adds to the immersion. The story is full of interesting, quirky characters and is strung together with intriguing, intelligently designed puzzles (withMachinarium is quite simply one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. The game is beautiful, with brilliant animation and a great hand drawn art style creating a charm that immerses you in the game world. The music is great and also adds to the immersion. The story is full of interesting, quirky characters and is strung together with intriguing, intelligently designed puzzles (with only a rare few feeling confusing). Overall, Machinarium is a unique, refreshing experience that oozes charm and style. I would highly recommend this to all. Expand
  50. Aug 9, 2012
    This is one of my favourite games of all time. I love puzzle games. I love cute characters. I love a good story. With Machinarium I got all this and more. I had problems with some puzzles and felt that the solutions were a little weird. You know like old point and click adventures with non-logic solutions... This can be charming but also frustrating... I would give this game a 9.5 becauseThis is one of my favourite games of all time. I love puzzle games. I love cute characters. I love a good story. With Machinarium I got all this and more. I had problems with some puzzles and felt that the solutions were a little weird. You know like old point and click adventures with non-logic solutions... This can be charming but also frustrating... I would give this game a 9.5 because of the slight frustrations from time to time. Currently overall ratings are 9 so I'll give it a 10! Expand
  51. Aug 14, 2012
    If you love Scumm Engine games of yesteryear such as Full throttle, the Dig, Sam and Max etc... Then you will thoroughly enjoy this game. Amanita created a very cool world with this game, likeable characters, and surprisingly tough puzzles. I have always tried to complete games like this without the use of walkthroughs, and I can honestly say I only had to look up the location of aIf you love Scumm Engine games of yesteryear such as Full throttle, the Dig, Sam and Max etc... Then you will thoroughly enjoy this game. Amanita created a very cool world with this game, likeable characters, and surprisingly tough puzzles. I have always tried to complete games like this without the use of walkthroughs, and I can honestly say I only had to look up the location of a single item. Note that many of the puzzles took a substantial amount of time to solve, but are extremely rewarding when you figure them out. On the other hand, if you have no patience for puzzles this is probably not the game for you. Not the flashiest (no pun intended) game, but great music and style were well worth the price/time invested. Expand
  52. Nov 9, 2012
    Signed up to give this game the feedback it deserves. I come from an adventure game background, (Monkey Island, The Dig, Full Throttle, LOOM, Beneath A Steel Sky etc). For those of use who love the genre, very little has been produced in the last decade. When it is, it isn't always great.

But this is great. ARTWORK: At one point, I was staring at a gas canister on an elevator in the

But this is great.

ARTWORK: At one point, I was staring at a gas canister on an elevator in the game, wondering how it got from being visualised to finished result. A mix of simple and super detailed, these are characterful and top notch environments. Great attention to detail, such as an unfocused panning foreground in some scenes.

CHARACTERS: For a game without dialogue, I got a great feel for the main character, loved what I was allowed to know about the villains, and was attached enough to drive the story.

STORY: A lot of cut scenes, both of scene-setting and back-story could have been used, but it's to the game's glory that they weren't. It allows the game to move faster, and lets you work out what kind of a setting/society/government they are in as you go along, rather than having it all spelled out for you. What you do know keeps you playing, a mix of survival, save the day, save the girl, and exploration.

SOUNDTRACK: I thought it was perfect match, and I have no complaints. A good variety, subtly faded in and out if the source is a radio within the game etc. Again, for a small production, knowing they must have recorded sounds from the musicians in the street down to the screwing on of a metal lid is inspiring.

PUZZLES: I marvel at the poor reviews from people who found it too hard. If you are used to adventure games, this borders on a little too easy. It makes it playable in a day, whilst having the enjoyment of eureka moments. The puzzles are fair/sensible, one or two have a red herring thrown in, but there is nothing that will have you wandering the same screens for hours wondering if you missed an item somewhere.

The second main distinction between this and other point and clicks in my experience (the first being the lack of dialogue), is the PUZZLE puzzles thrown in. This isn't just a case of 'pick up x, combine x and y, give to z', you will get some great IQ test moments! I found these deeply satisfying, and very constructive. It's easy to feel like you're wasting time even on good games, you will feel smarter after these mini-games! They are all possible, but they are rewarding, so don't expect first-try success.

I noticed a great many parallels to Beneath A Steel Sky, and it's a worthy homage. Certain locations and the end scenes for sure. Machinarium is very much its own unique world and style, so this mirroring is done tastefully and very nostalgically for those of us who have played B.A.S.S.

In a world where expensive graphics cards need to be bought to realistically portray chunks of flesh flying everywhere, this is a lovingly made, very skilfully crafted game. From the sound effects to the backgrounds to the puzzles, it is well worth buying and playing. Think of a man carving an exquisitely ornamented cabinet by candle-light, knowing many of the finer details may go unnoticed anyway. That is the sort of deidcated talent this game harks to.

Currently it can be bought cheaper than ever via Humble Bundle 4, google that if you're interested.

If you have enjoyed any adventure games in the past, be ready to add this to your list.

Charm, fun, variety and style.
  53. Dec 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A nice break in all the action and explosion and killing mayhem we have come to know and love. Its a fun game about a nice robot pal with dumb luck ending up in the adventure of a mild mannered life time. While it can get tedious with all the random clicking one will eventually do, the artistic design actually works the balance this out since you can't help but enjoy the scenery. The main character is lovable and as you learn about his "past" with getting bullied you can't help but want to help him save his friends at the end of the day. Some problems would be the tediousness in solving the puzzles and of course to lower leveled puzzles that sometimes just need a bit of luck in figuring, but you get those small gems of a puzzle in between where you feel a very sincere moment of accomplishment when you figure it out. The hint system is not all that helpful when caught in the middle of a rather difficult puzzle, but that is quickly remedied by the in-game walkthrough. While many may want to immediately go for it one should take care in realizing that each time takes a small and in my opinion very poor mini game to open it and the walkthrough has no words, so it may confuse you more than help in some situations. Overall it is a break in the high speed movement of today's games and game worth playing, but I personally got this game on a sale and would recommend for others to wait for the sale as well. In gamers I would recommend to the more casual ones, especially those with an iPad, but also to those who just like to see and experience and different side of gaming not seen much. Expand
  54. Dec 27, 2012
    This is my favorite adventure game. The story and characters are very interesting despite the total absence of dialog! The puzzles are very tough, but also very logical. No "combine the fish-hook with the balloon of laughing gas" kind of nutty solutions. I used hints a few times, but later I regretted it because I was 75% to the solution when I gave up. The artwork is really beautiful,This is my favorite adventure game. The story and characters are very interesting despite the total absence of dialog! The puzzles are very tough, but also very logical. No "combine the fish-hook with the balloon of laughing gas" kind of nutty solutions. I used hints a few times, but later I regretted it because I was 75% to the solution when I gave up. The artwork is really beautiful, more so than any other game I have played. I used a version downloaded from Steam. I did not have any technical problems. I think this is a really special game that I would recommend to anyone who likes puzzles and adventure games. Expand
  55. Feb 4, 2014
    Amanita Design's games are always great. Beautiful artwork, great and interesting music and sounds. And I think Amanitas games are the only point-and-click-adventures that I ever played without getting annoyed and then start using a walkthrough. The puzzles are not easy, but somehow solvable. And if you ever get stuck, there is a mini-game, which lets you unlock a walkthrough for theAmanita Design's games are always great. Beautiful artwork, great and interesting music and sounds. And I think Amanitas games are the only point-and-click-adventures that I ever played without getting annoyed and then start using a walkthrough. The puzzles are not easy, but somehow solvable. And if you ever get stuck, there is a mini-game, which lets you unlock a walkthrough for the current screen.

People are complaining about the short duration of the game. I don't. I'd rather have 6 great hours than 15 average.

Only thing that I thought could be done better: Though the world with all its beauty and details is really immersive, the story is not. You start to like the world and its characters, but somehow the story just seems like a chain of more or less random events, and not like a complete, connected story. Maybe because it is just difficult to tell a story without any words...

Anyway - highly recommended!! Looking forward to Anamita's next games!!
  56. Mar 8, 2014
    A Wonderful point-and-click adventure, with nice story, cute characters and delightful music. Although a save bug that may stole you hours of gameplay, a bad designed final room that may stole you hours of gameplay too, and the bizarre absence of support from developers, it is one of the best games on this genre i ever play. With no time losses it grants you around 10 hrs playing.
  57. Nov 14, 2014
    Excellent game dont listen to the haters. Only flaw is the end puzzle but only if you cant play piano. Very heartwarming story and a lot of fun solving the puzzles. If your a jackass and not into indy games skip it but if you like a challenge give it it a try. Its awesome.
  58. Jan 4, 2014
    I have played through this game about 4 times now and I still enjoy it so much, it is still one of the best games I have ever played. Graphics are beautiful and story line is superb and soundtrack is remarkable you will never regret buying this. 10/10
  59. Apr 16, 2013
    Gee son, if you have not played Machinarium yet then how can you be a true master race gamer?
    Also beware for ultrasexymagichot Music from Tomas Dvorak
  60. Jul 28, 2013
    Definitely not a game for people with short patience. Hard puzzles, but not impossible, that make you think before making your next move, and not randomly clicking your way to find the exit as fast as possible. Beautiful artwork and backgrounds, good soundtrack and likable characters with a simple story to tell. I got on steam for $3 and it definitely paid off.
    The only reason I find to
    The only reason I find to not give this game a 10, is that sometimes, depending on your graphic settings, the game just froze and the animation crashed. But despite some minor glitches, it's a gem hidden in a sea of mindless "point'n'clicks".
  61. Jul 31, 2013
    An immersive point-and-click adventure with extremely beautiful soundtrack and artwork. Seriously, the soundtrack is so amazing and mindblowing, I haven't seen anything like it in a game before. Useful tips (along with a whole walkthrough) are included in the game in case you are lost. You have to be a bit patient the puzzles are varying from old school to innovative and can get quiteAn immersive point-and-click adventure with extremely beautiful soundtrack and artwork. Seriously, the soundtrack is so amazing and mindblowing, I haven't seen anything like it in a game before. Useful tips (along with a whole walkthrough) are included in the game in case you are lost. You have to be a bit patient the puzzles are varying from old school to innovative and can get quite hard.
    Enjoy the music and have a good time, 100% guaranteed. Actually, as I wrote this review, I got a sudden urge to go and dive into the game once more to relive the perfection again.
  62. Aug 8, 2013
    Machinarium is one incredibly beautiful game. It has wonderful graphics, exceedingly cute characters, and just a wonderful, wonderful setting. I love just about everything it has to offer, from interesting puzzles to awesome music.

My only gripe, or rather, lament, with it is the lack of continuation. It's neither based on chapters nor episodes, and looks to be a one-off unless the creators announce a sequel to it. It has lots of potential. I just wish it'd continue.

Oh, and, if you're ever stuck in this game and are too lazy or impatient to check out communities online or youtube walkthroughs, the game offers you hints provided you play a game for it first. It's a fine addition the Machinarium and I love that they thought of little details like this.

If you're into pretty/soothing visuals, cute characters and fun puzzles to solve, Machinarium is your game! Just be warned that it will entertain you for a few hours at best before the game ends and you're left to mourn its premature conclusion.
  63. Oct 25, 2013
    The puzzles in this game are not very challenging.
    The artwork is beautiful and the story is cute.
    Overall Machinarium is a very relaxing game to play.
    If you have the chance, give this game a try.
  64. Dec 27, 2013
    Beautiful, very clever.
    Finished in 10 hours, absolutely worth the price.

One small minor defect is the control is not always perfect. Some shortcuts of scenes already played would have been welcome.
  65. Aug 2, 2014
    Fantastic adventure game that has all the qualities of a true point and click adventure classic. Beautiful hand-drawn visuals, non-dialog communication system, touching story of that one little robot, plenty of logic puzzles and action mini-games, solutions are mostly logic, but even if you get stuck you can just play a little rocket mini-game and after successfully finishing it you willFantastic adventure game that has all the qualities of a true point and click adventure classic. Beautiful hand-drawn visuals, non-dialog communication system, touching story of that one little robot, plenty of logic puzzles and action mini-games, solutions are mostly logic, but even if you get stuck you can just play a little rocket mini-game and after successfully finishing it you will get a nice in-game visual. Lots of humor and I just looove that robotic jazz band, those guys rock! That brings me to an amazing electronic soundtrack by Tomas Dvorak that I still play just for the background ambience until this day. This is how a good adventure games should be done. 9/10 Expand
  66. Dec 31, 2013
    It's a very artistic game, it's like every location is a painting, the music goes perfectly with the environment. I think it's an underrated game. It's a change from all those shooting games.
  67. Sep 25, 2016
    A really good adventure game, one with a lot of charm. It's puzzles are intuitive and not overwhelmingly difficult. This is a must play if you're an adventure game fan like me and worth checking out even if you're not.
  68. Jun 10, 2014
    Pese a no ser las aventuras gráficas con puzles uno de mis género favoritos, este videojuego por su calidad gráfica y su fluidez de mecánicas es muy recomendable. También el hecho de ser una experiencia corta hace que no se haga tediosa. Una buena compra.
  69. Jan 25, 2016
    A little gem, designs beautiful, dreamy atmospheres and alienating logic puzzles intriguing, an excellent soundtrack. An example of a small software company can create with little money and a lot of ideas, games beautiful, non-trivial, non-standardized, with original logical. Amanita Design Viva!
  70. Feb 15, 2015
    Definitely a memorable click adventure game.
    The art is pleasing to the eye and the music is very cute. Charming is probably the best word to describe this game.
    Definitely a memorable click adventure game.
    The world itself is fun to adventure around and it is a relaxing game to play. The puzzles weren't all that challenging and sometimes you'll find yourself clicking the whole screen to find that one hidden item you need to pass a certain stage; which is a bit frustrating. A bit too linear, wish there was sometimes an alternative way offered to get to the next area/stage to keep it a bit more interesting.

Otherwise, if you're just looking for a game that's easy on the eyes and ears and for you to relax with, this is for you.
  71. Mar 14, 2015
    A magnificent journey in a beautiful,but decadent world...
    A magnificent journey in a beautiful,but decadent world...
    Machinarium is visually astonishing,the soundtrack is amazing and even though there is no speech,the characters are quite well developed.I would define this game as a genuine entertainment for all the family:however,the difficulty is quite high.You'll find yourself using all the help you can get from the game itself(there is a "hint" feature),since most of the puzzles are really difficult,but the desire to know more about the story and the affection you will feel for the main characters,will "force" you to find an answer even to the most difficult scenarios,or,at least,that was what happened to me :).
  72. Apr 13, 2015
    I just re-played it again (and finished) for the first time since it was released. It's still a beautiful, charming game, that hasn't lost its touch. Long live Amanita.
  73. Nov 21, 2016
    Визуально - это просто шедевр. Всё рисовали вручную, по-крайней мере ощущение именно такое. В мире игры хоть и живут одни роботы, но всё выглядит так живо, поменяй роботов на людей и это были бы те же самые уличные музыканты или дедушка играющий в шахматы. Вообщем у автора всё в порядке с фантазией. Музыка прекрасна и создаёт чарующую атмосферу. Сюжет же довольно прост - это историяВизуально - это просто шедевр. Всё рисовали вручную, по-крайней мере ощущение именно такое. В мире игры хоть и живут одни роботы, но всё выглядит так живо, поменяй роботов на людей и это были бы те же самые уличные музыканты или дедушка играющий в шахматы. Вообщем у автора всё в порядке с фантазией. Музыка прекрасна и создаёт чарующую атмосферу. Сюжет же довольно прост - это история спасения возлюбленной, но это не как не минус. Так же игра местами выдаёт такие милые кадры, что прямо ми-ми-ми :). Геймплейно - очень хороший квест.
    Отличная игра!
  74. Mar 14, 2016
    Beautifully stylish and full of character. Unfortunately many of the puzzles are not intuitive or alternatively involve nothing more than moving one thing form one place to another. One of the better puzzle platformers out there none-the-less
  75. Jan 7, 2016
    (English and Italian Review)
    Beautiful game. It has an unique way to telling a story (almost without dialogues); it is possible to get in-game help to solve puzzles (without the need of a walk-trough); outstanding scenery and character design; modern approach to adventure game; no pixel hunting.... even my girlfriend like it and she does not like Videogame in general ;). Buy it!
    (English and Italian Review)
    Bellissimo gioco. Suggerisco vivamente di comprarlo perchè è un ottima avventura grafica moderna: Gli enigmi scorrono veloci (con la possibilità di avere un aiuto all'interno del gioco usando un mini gioco come una sorta di sparatutto); la trama è raccontata senza usare praticamente nessun dialogo; grafica curata ed originale; lungo il giusto.
  76. Mar 14, 2017
    This review comes form someone who has 0 puzzle games experience and man this game seemed hard for me,I often googled stuff but it kept me there,it just did.I appreciate the work that these people made on this simple game that has an intriguing story although there is no dialogue.

1. But the puzzles themselves are nearly an unmitigated joy.
  2. games(TM)
    Remakes and IP revivals may be raking in the big bucks at the moment, but this artistically unique original is the game that really deserves your love and respect. [Nov 2009, p.106]
  3. Machinarium is a treat for the senses that demands more of your brain, a paradoxically gentle yet punishing riff on a genre that, until now, had been revived but sadly defanged for modern players.