8.7

1. Jul 9, 2011
    This game is a souped up Flash game. It is cute and the music is suitable and fun at times. However I feel I'm often reduced to clicking on random objects to figure out what I'm supposed to do. There's an option to see a walkthrough for the current area, which is a must for this game to be playable, but you have to play a side scrolling shooter mini game to unlock it. I don't like readingThis game is a souped up Flash game. It is cute and the music is suitable and fun at times. However I feel I'm often reduced to clicking on random objects to figure out what I'm supposed to do. There's an option to see a walkthrough for the current area, which is a must for this game to be playable, but you have to play a side scrolling shooter mini game to unlock it. I don't like reading the whole walkthrough, just the steps I need to get me a bit further. Unfortunately every time you open the walkthrough, even for the same screen, you have to do this damn shooter thing. This game is so annoying, it drove me to stop playing and sign up to metacritic just to write this review!!!

On the other hand, it's a nice concept and I enjoyed it for the first hour or so.
  2. Aug 24, 2010
  3. CRL
    Aug 31, 2011
    Yes. The visuals are amazingly vivid and beautiful. Yes. The music is fantastic. News flash: I don't buy a game because of it's visuals and music, for that I buy a documentary about Italy. I buy a game for a fun and interesting experience, and on that front this was quite frankly a waste of money. Each puzzle is either completely obvious or so ridiculous that you need to resort toYes. The visuals are amazingly vivid and beautiful. Yes. The music is fantastic. News flash: I don't buy a game because of it's visuals and music, for that I buy a documentary about Italy. I buy a game for a fun and interesting experience, and on that front this was quite frankly a waste of money. Each puzzle is either completely obvious or so ridiculous that you need to resort to the little walkthrough minigame to find the answer. Then, if you actually want to gain some satisfaction by completing a puzzle, the only solution is to randomly click on every possibly object that could be used in said puzzle. Also, it would have been nice to know that deleting flash cookies would clear all saves too... but apparently that's not important enough for the fine print. And there is no way anyone should be able to charge $10 for a game so obscenely boring and eventually extremely annoying. Expand
  4. Jul 23, 2012
    I can easily describe this game with the word "boring." The graphics are unique, sure, but just about everything else in the game is sub-par. Unless you are the kind of person that is a die hard point and click game lover, then I highly recommend you steer far clear of this title.
  5. Jul 24, 2012
    The good: Art is great. Whimsical animations. Music. The story. I cared about the little robot.

The problem: Game is frustrating by arbitrariness of puzzles - just jumping through hoops to get to the next puzzle. Alternate solutions are not possible. You must solve a certain puzzle a certain way to progress. You'll probably use HELP alot. That said I give it 5 because it did drive me to finish it, and I did keep trying to play the puzzles despite frustration. But what it does is force you to become hyper aware of everything on the screen, and to just let your mind float into some odd abstract solution. It's almost like if you focus too hard on some of the problems you can't solve them because the solutions are often bizarre. But if you view this game as a weird exercise in pushing buttons in machine with alot of moving parts that aren't supposed to make sense, but where you watch and get feedback by trial and error, just trying random things sometimes to see what happens - then you might be able to enjoy this.

I give it 5 because it does have something about it that makes you want to finish it. I don't know if I'd call it fun - but it is a curiosity. And again - the art really is nice.
  6. Sep 22, 2011
    It's good to see that this game has been recieved so well as it has, cause it's absolute worth the credit. The art style, the adorable robot characters, the clear, mute dialogues still able to convey a nice storyline, the fun puzzles that are to be solved.. Well, all has been said by now so there's nothing left for you but to get this game. And while your at it, also take a look at theIt's good to see that this game has been recieved so well as it has, cause it's absolute worth the credit. The art style, the adorable robot characters, the clear, mute dialogues still able to convey a nice storyline, the fun puzzles that are to be solved.. Well, all has been said by now so there's nothing left for you but to get this game. And while your at it, also take a look at the somewhat overlooked Samorost series, I think you'll find quite some resemblance. Expand
  7. Nov 11, 2012
    One of the best games I have ever played. Possibly the best graphical adventure game I have seen. Beautiful artwork, challenging puzzles, great music, touching characters and story. A lot of care went into this. I wish there were more games as good as this. That said, I ended up playing this longer on the Android tablet version than the PC version - despite a few minor bugs in the AndroidOne of the best games I have ever played. Possibly the best graphical adventure game I have seen. Beautiful artwork, challenging puzzles, great music, touching characters and story. A lot of care went into this. I wish there were more games as good as this. That said, I ended up playing this longer on the Android tablet version than the PC version - despite a few minor bugs in the Android version it seems more suited to that format. Expand
  8. Dec 31, 2011
    I loved it. Beuatiful art style, no text dialogues, great puzzles. Reminds me a lot of Neverhood. Have finished it without using a single hint. Limbo+Sequence+Machinarium = Indie Supergames. Enough said.
  9. Jan 14, 2012
    The first thing you will notice is that this is bare bones Flash. Right clicking the screen will show you Flash settings. It very much has a feel of a browser game, through and through. The game does not automatically disable the screensaver, nor does it allow you to alt-tab out of it without locking up in full screen. The only way to get back into the game is to end its process in TaskThe first thing you will notice is that this is bare bones Flash. Right clicking the screen will show you Flash settings. It very much has a feel of a browser game, through and through. The game does not automatically disable the screensaver, nor does it allow you to alt-tab out of it without locking up in full screen. The only way to get back into the game is to end its process in Task Manager. Even without those problems, the game will lock up itself, for no apparent reason whatsoever. These lock-ups happen so frequently, that it requires an immense amount of patience to play this game. The only way I was able to stop this massive problem was by running the game in windowed mode. Even though you can select for the display to be full screen, that is not accurate, nor is it true. The developer's version of full screen means the game will still take up a small area of your screen, and will be surrounded by a large black area. The gameplay is of traditional point and click adventure games of the past, with pixel hunting for actions and puzzle solving for mechanics. All puzzles appear to be logical, and will require the expected amount of thinking to resolve them, with the occasionally extreme venture in trial and error. The music is okay and fits the setting well. This soundtrack has been revered around gaming circles, and I deem it to be bland, uninspired, overrated, and even depressing at times. The art design is interesting and unique, but many games of the genre in today's day and age (and of the past) are also comparable in art quality. Machinarium does not bring anything new or different to the point and click adventure genre. This game is for those who like or love the style and genre. For someone like me, who has been out of practice from the point and click adventure genre, this game is difficult to complete without any help. This setback is to be expected due to the genre. The ending leaves a lot to be desired, and it's actually a disappointment. Overall, I would only recommend Machinarium to fans of the genre, as there is really not much to the experience. In addition, there is zero replayability, and the game's length is not reminiscent of the original 90s hits. Expand
  10. Aug 8, 2011
    It´s a game full of atmosphere & lovely figures. One of the few I´m really proud I played to the end and solved all puzzled without cheating. But it needed a time till i found out, that the book gives recommendation to the puzzles. Maybe the best game ever ! I hope there will be anther like it. But it´ll be not beatable...
  11. Aug 30, 2011
    Never thought I would fall in love with a $10 indie puzzle game, but this is more than that. It's an adorable, fascinating adventure. The HAND DRAWN artstyle of this game should be in a museum and the the soundtrack is insanely good. The characters don't speak a word yet it's so easy to fall in love with them. It's also one of the few puzzle games where the puzzles actually make sense.
  12. Feb 17, 2011
    This is a really cool, well put together puzzle game. It is completely flash based with great music plus a cute and funny story. It's amusing, clever, witty, stupid, fun, easy, challenging, and frustrating all at the same time. Throw some retro 80s gaming into the mix and you've wrapped up an enjoyable adventure.
  13. Jan 4, 2011
    Short but beautifully sweet. The art is perfect, with great bites of humour. Recommended especially for fans of games like The Neverhood and Grim Fandango etc.
  14. Jul 30, 2011
    best game i have played in my life . Fantastic music, beautiful art, charm in spadefuls mean that otherwise frustratingly difficult puzzles are just a reason to sit and have an assault on your senses. Not only that, you're free to look at the solution if you get too annoyed, though if you do solve them you'll be grinning from the genius of it for ages.
  15. Mar 14, 2011
    Entrancingly beautiful and very playable with some fiendishly difficult puzzles. Wonderful atmosphere and music. If you played the flash game Samorost you will have an idea of what is in store for you. A classic graphical adventure / puzzle game that will keep you busy for a few days.
  16. Mar 10, 2011
    I really enjoyed this game. Fantastic art and wonderful music. A little too short for my taste but if you are looking for a nice adventure then buying Machinarium is not a lost money.
  17. Mar 22, 2011
    I was initially put off when I realised this was a point and click Flash based game but I quickly got over it once I started playing. As a lot of people have already mentioned this is a beautifully made game with fantastic attention to detail and extremely well thoughout puzzles. I'm more than happy to pay for something so expertly crafted.
  18. Jul 8, 2011
    If you're a fan of point-and-click puzzle games, you need to play Machinarium. The animation and music are a pleasure to witness and the puzzles range from clever to devilishly difficult. Without question, Machinarium is the best game of this type that I've ever played. Why not a score of 10 then? The game's done in Adobe Flash, and even with all of the suggestions to avoid a freeze orIf you're a fan of point-and-click puzzle games, you need to play Machinarium. The animation and music are a pleasure to witness and the puzzles range from clever to devilishly difficult. Without question, Machinarium is the best game of this type that I've ever played. Why not a score of 10 then? The game's done in Adobe Flash, and even with all of the suggestions to avoid a freeze or crash, it still happens, so save save save your progress like it's a bad habit. I may sound nit picky, but while most of the puzzles are satisfying to play and make you feel like you've accomplished something great when you complete them, there's a few that you really don't want to do a second time, and if you didn't save and the game crashes on you ohhh boy... Other than the glitches associated with Flash, Machinarium's an enjoyable, perfect point-and-click game and is my new benchmark for the genre. Expand
  19. Aug 4, 2011
    Amazing game!
    Just play the demo and you'll be hooked!
    The developers went really far in this adventure - the artwork is amazing and unique, sound is professional done, with some of the best sound tracks you'll encounter, the story is so cute, and the puzzles never reach the "insanely hard and ridiculous" mode :)
    Strongly recommend - even if you have never played an Adventure / Quest genre before.
  20. Nov 19, 2011
    This little game is a gem! The visuals and the music combine perfectly to create a surreal atmosphere that's both bizarre and charming. The characters are all quirky, in the best possible way. Now, too much cuteness can become tacky and even repulsive, but Machinarium manages to throw bucketfuls of cute at you without ever crossing that line. It's a bit like being in a cross between aThis little game is a gem! The visuals and the music combine perfectly to create a surreal atmosphere that's both bizarre and charming. The characters are all quirky, in the best possible way. Now, too much cuteness can become tacky and even repulsive, but Machinarium manages to throw bucketfuls of cute at you without ever crossing that line. It's a bit like being in a cross between a Pixar short and the sci-fi cult classic, "Fantastic Planet" ("La Planète Sauvage"). The latter, coincidentally, is also a Czech production. The whole thing is clever and imaginative and completely immersive. The puzzles are fun and you're in for a few nice surprises and chuckles in terms of games within the game. The game is very short and the replayability is quite low, in large part because it's linear and the puzzles are not randomized. Some would criticize the game for this, but that would be misunderstanding Machinarium. It's more like a movie experience than a video game that you can play over and over, and I've had far less fun at movies for less time and a more money. But even if you play it only once, that one time is worth it and you're missing out if you avoid the game just for that. My only complaints are (1) the resolution is fixed, which is normal for this kind of hand-drawn artwork, but unsatisfying when you have a 1080p screen that's used only partly, and (2) since this is a flash game, when you right-click, you get Adobe's useless menu, which kind of breaks the mood. I bought it today, played through it, and it left me with a sense of joy and satisfaction, and maybe a little twinge that it's over. And to hell with replayability, I'll come back to it again just to revisit this wonderful little world. Expand
  21. Jan 9, 2012
    THE REASON, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. PRISTINE ARTWORK OF EPIC PROPORTIONS, STYLISHLY CREATIVE PUZZLES AND THE BAR OF CHALLENGE IS SET FAR IN CLOUDS. Machinarium, is epic-ally phenomenal leap, in the puzzle universe of games. From the sometimes extreme challenge of levels, the careful and utter beauty of the artwork, and the symphony of the pure soundtrack. This is must buy, no , its a buy rightTHE REASON, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. PRISTINE ARTWORK OF EPIC PROPORTIONS, STYLISHLY CREATIVE PUZZLES AND THE BAR OF CHALLENGE IS SET FAR IN CLOUDS. Machinarium, is epic-ally phenomenal leap, in the puzzle universe of games. From the sometimes extreme challenge of levels, the careful and utter beauty of the artwork, and the symphony of the pure soundtrack. This is must buy, no , its a buy right now. So buy it! CDO Expand
  22. Jun 19, 2012
    A very nicely done game with some great puzzles, fun mini-games and a wonderful created environment. I really enjoyed playing this one. There were a few puzzles which really got me stumped but, that's what a puzzle game is about, right? The hint system allows one to get either an easy hint or a full walk through if so needed (although I'd advise against using the full walk throughA very nicely done game with some great puzzles, fun mini-games and a wonderful created environment. I really enjoyed playing this one. There were a few puzzles which really got me stumped but, that's what a puzzle game is about, right? The hint system allows one to get either an easy hint or a full walk through if so needed (although I'd advise against using the full walk through unless you really can't figure it out).
    My only real qualm is one. I found the ending to be too brief. It would have been nice to have a good ending to an otherwise great puzzle game!
  23. Dec 13, 2011
    A beautiful and lonely flash game that is full of surprises. There have only been a few times that I got completely lost and found myself clicking everything with frustration. Overall I deeply enjoyed this artistic game and music very much and hope for more like it.
  24. Feb 12, 2012
    Okay it might just be a flash game (deletes all browsing history on computer = loses all Machinarium save data - Ahhhhh!), but it oozes charm. An absolute delight of a game with beautiful hand drawn scenes and wonderful memorable characters (I still feel bloody awful about that cat). As a point-and-click adventure it does of course suffer from moments of random clicking allover the screenOkay it might just be a flash game (deletes all browsing history on computer = loses all Machinarium save data - Ahhhhh!), but it oozes charm. An absolute delight of a game with beautiful hand drawn scenes and wonderful memorable characters (I still feel bloody awful about that cat). As a point-and-click adventure it does of course suffer from moments of random clicking allover the screen as you fail to pick up on a clue, but less so than other games of its type. I think the only thing which I didn't appreciate about the game, was the fact that it was flash based. It would have been nice to have something a little more robust, especially for my money. But I'm nit picking there because this is a truly wonderful little game with some brilliantly designed puzzles and oodles of charm. Expand
  25. Mar 21, 2012
    really really great ambient music and awesome graphics is what makes this game great in my opinion. though for me, some puzzles were way too obscure.
  26. Mar 19, 2012
    A pretty looking point-and-click adventure game without any great puzzles to solve (Space Invaders is not a great puzzle to solve). The bonus art pages being used as cheat sheets rather than as rewards for success annoyed me as well. Inoffensive. Two stars.
  27. Mar 14, 2014
    Cool. These little games are becoming more adorable. Great artwork. Very amusing gameplay. I think Machinarium is that kind of games you love at first sight.
  28. Jul 1, 2013
    I have to admit I absolutely loved the art style in this game, it is so different and unique which separates this from so many other games. At first glimpse this games colors look dull and average but as you progress you will learn otherwise. The puzzles, the main part of this game, work well and smoothly. Some puzzles require quite a bit of thinking or you can always play the littleI have to admit I absolutely loved the art style in this game, it is so different and unique which separates this from so many other games. At first glimpse this games colors look dull and average but as you progress you will learn otherwise. The puzzles, the main part of this game, work well and smoothly. Some puzzles require quite a bit of thinking or you can always play the little mini-game to access the puzzle solver. The characters in this game make minimal noise and do not speak which adds a feeling of eeriness to the world. If you're a fan of puzzle games or just want to try something different, I recommend this game. Expand
  29. Apr 10, 2012
    An interesting journey through an atmospheric world with a phenomenal soundtrack. Definitely recommend this game, played it through two times and loved every bit of it. A few of the last puzzles can be frustrating though so beware. Beautiful game in every way.
  30. May 2, 2012
    Machinarium is a point and click adventure game made with flash, as such sometimes I experienced weird performance issues, but overall a fun adventure.

The atmosphere is very calm and enjoyable. Some puzzle suffer from the typical adventure game issue; such as when you can think of a solution that 'would' work but is not the 'one' solution. Still, I only needed online help once but also felt challenged.

I'd love to see another in the same vein/aesthetic.

1. But the puzzles themselves are nearly an unmitigated joy.
  2. Remakes and IP revivals may be raking in the big bucks at the moment, but this artistically unique original is the game that really deserves your love and respect. [Nov 2009, p.106]
  3. Machinarium is a treat for the senses that demands more of your brain, a paradoxically gentle yet punishing riff on a genre that, until now, had been revived but sadly defanged for modern players.