8.7

1. killswitch1968
    Oct 23, 2009
    Machinarium is a competent adventure game that does a lot of things right. The art work is gorgeous and the storyline, while simple, is delivered completely without dialogue in a wholly endearing manner. The sounds and awkward movements from the in-game robots are fantastic. The puzzles themselves are somewhat hit and miss. Many people have said this game is too hard, but for most Machinarium is a competent adventure game that does a lot of things right. The art work is gorgeous and the storyline, while simple, is delivered completely without dialogue in a wholly endearing manner. The sounds and awkward movements from the in-game robots are fantastic. The puzzles themselves are somewhat hit and miss. Many people have said this game is too hard, but for most adventure game vets there will probably only be a couple areas that you will struggle. My biggest gripe with the game are how so many of the puzzles are little more than mini-games a la Chinese puzzles. There are at least 10 puzzles that look like flash games you'd on the internet. They don't mesh with the story, and exist in their own little vacuum. The number of well done in-game puzzles because substantially less after taking this into account. The interface is another issue. The game is written completely in flash. You won't be able to use an item or interact with the environment unless you are standing right next to the object in question. That is, you won't get a cursor indicator letting you know that the object is interactable. This creates a huge problem where you swear you had tried to perform the correct action but you couldn't work with the interface to accomplish said task. All in all, for an independent game it is extremely well done. It installs very easily with no DRM, and all the files in-game are 1s and 0s, even the extensions! Other than some deficiencies in gameplay, it is indeed a triumph. Expand
  2. MattS
    Dec 7, 2009
    I wanted to love this game from the very beginning...the artwork...the music...beautiful. But, underneath this skin deep illusion is a game that is flawed by attempts to make obscurity and complexity, elements of mystery for solving and it simply doesn't work. I only made it about halfway through the game before giving up in sheer frustration at the amount of effort going into I wanted to love this game from the very beginning...the artwork...the music...beautiful. But, underneath this skin deep illusion is a game that is flawed by attempts to make obscurity and complexity, elements of mystery for solving and it simply doesn't work. I only made it about halfway through the game before giving up in sheer frustration at the amount of effort going into retracing my steps and missing clues that were half a game away. So, +1 for the incredible artwork, +1 for the clever and haunting music,and +1 for a couple of very funny moments, -1 for an awkward supporting UI and a big -5 for the game itself. What Machinarium has done is remind me of my past and a game called Myst that was also beautiful and haunting and ultimately too smart for its own good. Expand
  3. May 2, 2012
    Machinarium is a point and click adventure game made with flash, as such sometimes I experienced weird performance issues, but overall a fun adventure.

The atmosphere is very calm and enjoyable. Some puzzle suffer from the typical adventure game issue; such as when you can think of a solution that 'would' work but is not the 'one' solution. Still, I only needed online help once but also felt challenged.

I'd love to see another in the same vein/aesthetic.
  4. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is done with great artistic style and has many fun and touchy moments. Unfortunately, the gameplay is very typical to this type of games: you just randomly click on all the small objects on the screen until something happens and you progress to the next screen with another puzzle. This game may be fun for an hour, while you are still under the impression from the art style, yetThis game is done with great artistic style and has many fun and touchy moments. Unfortunately, the gameplay is very typical to this type of games: you just randomly click on all the small objects on the screen until something happens and you progress to the next screen with another puzzle. This game may be fun for an hour, while you are still under the impression from the art style, yet later you get very bored and annoyed with the random nature of the puzzles. Also, when the game is done, there is nothing to come back to. Expand
  5. Jul 20, 2013
    A good game but the difficulty curve is a little steep. While I absolutely loved the first half of the game, I found myself using the hint book a little too frequently during the second half. Despite some frustration, the art style and music are incredibly well done and the characters manage to be charming and memorable without ever talking. It’s a game worth playing, just be prepared forA good game but the difficulty curve is a little steep. While I absolutely loved the first half of the game, I found myself using the hint book a little too frequently during the second half. Despite some frustration, the art style and music are incredibly well done and the characters manage to be charming and memorable without ever talking. It’s a game worth playing, just be prepared for a challenge. Expand
  6. Jun 30, 2014
    In a nutshell this is a classic puzzle game with incredible art and engaging sound. If you like puzzle games then definitely give this a try. If you're expecting a platformer, you might want to steer clear.
  7. Feb 5, 2014
    Good fun playing this game. Lots of intelligent puzzles to work out. Excellent graphics and funny story. Unfortunately the game ended too quickly. why did they make such a short game? Hence the low score.
  8. Oct 29, 2014
    Wow... Tell me, what kind of game was that after all?
    The graphics and level of detail were overdone! Also the music was very nice - but these puzzles... the totally ridiculous puzzles! How the hell would I ever be able to unravel these partially cruel mysteries?
    Wow... Tell me, what kind of game was that after all?
    It sometimes was so hilarious that I started to laugh myself to tears whilst reading the walkthrough. Man, was this game some harsh brain-teaser...

For example: At one point you have to go up and down underneath a power line because a bird is sitting on it and you need to get it down. What was I doing? Walking up and down all time with the bird doing the same. I almost exploded... When I finally got the idea to seesaw the robot up and down because that's what he does to reach things high above or down below. That took some doing.

But okay, the games is not bad after all, it's... special. Especially its puzzles. So please don't get too frustrated about them. In return the game is very short.
  9. Aug 30, 2013
    I give it 6, because the art is very good, but from a gameplay standpoint this is really bad. Half of the puzzles are uberboring chinese-like riddles that doesn't involve at all interacting with your surroundings, the others are sometimes unintuitive and requires you to randomly click on the screen until something happens, or to just give up out of boredom and use the ingame walkthrough. AI give it 6, because the art is very good, but from a gameplay standpoint this is really bad. Half of the puzzles are uberboring chinese-like riddles that doesn't involve at all interacting with your surroundings, the others are sometimes unintuitive and requires you to randomly click on the screen until something happens, or to just give up out of boredom and use the ingame walkthrough. A walkthrough that requires you to play a little boring shooting game every time you use it, even in the same screen. But the peak was when I found myself playing space invaders. Really, I wasn't there to play freaking space invaders. Boring and frustrating, this is how I feel about this game, I don't recommend it unless you are a die hard point and click adventures player. Expand
  10. Jan 23, 2015
    *Graphics* Very intriguing. The animations are also pretty, and the main character is lovely. The dialogues are drawn in clouds, a nice alternative that's even better than text dialogues would have been, in my opinion.
    *Sounds* The music creates the right atmosphere for this kind of game.
    *Sounds* The music creates the right atmosphere for this kind of game.
    *Game* The puzzles are sometimes arbitrary, and it takes some time to understand how to solve them. The characters are robots, but this has nothing to do with the story; it's just to make them pretty. The plot itself is a bit disappointing: the ending is too quick, ruining the expectations it created after one got attached to the main character. But indeed, eventually I got attached to the clumsy, bullied tiny robot, and I enjoyed the overall experience.
  11. Jan 14, 2012
    The first thing you will notice is that this is bare bones Flash. Right clicking the screen will show you Flash settings. It very much has a feel of a browser game, through and through. The game does not automatically disable the screensaver, nor does it allow you to alt-tab out of it without locking up in full screen. The only way to get back into the game is to end its process in TaskThe first thing you will notice is that this is bare bones Flash. Right clicking the screen will show you Flash settings. It very much has a feel of a browser game, through and through. The game does not automatically disable the screensaver, nor does it allow you to alt-tab out of it without locking up in full screen. The only way to get back into the game is to end its process in Task Manager. Even without those problems, the game will lock up itself, for no apparent reason whatsoever. These lock-ups happen so frequently, that it requires an immense amount of patience to play this game. The only way I was able to stop this massive problem was by running the game in windowed mode. Even though you can select for the display to be full screen, that is not accurate, nor is it true. The developer's version of full screen means the game will still take up a small area of your screen, and will be surrounded by a large black area. The gameplay is of traditional point and click adventure games of the past, with pixel hunting for actions and puzzle solving for mechanics. All puzzles appear to be logical, and will require the expected amount of thinking to resolve them, with the occasionally extreme venture in trial and error. The music is okay and fits the setting well. This soundtrack has been revered around gaming circles, and I deem it to be bland, uninspired, overrated, and even depressing at times. The art design is interesting and unique, but many games of the genre in today's day and age (and of the past) are also comparable in art quality. Machinarium does not bring anything new or different to the point and click adventure genre. This game is for those who like or love the style and genre. For someone like me, who has been out of practice from the point and click adventure genre, this game is difficult to complete without any help. This setback is to be expected due to the genre. The ending leaves a lot to be desired, and it's actually a disappointment. Overall, I would only recommend Machinarium to fans of the genre, as there is really not much to the experience. In addition, there is zero replayability, and the game's length is not reminiscent of the original 90s hits. Expand
  12. Jul 24, 2012
    The good: Art is great. Whimsical animations. Music. The story. I cared about the little robot.

The problem: Game is frustrating by arbitrariness of puzzles - just jumping through hoops to get to the next puzzle. Alternate solutions are not possible. You must solve a certain puzzle a certain way to progress. You'll probably use HELP alot. That said I give it 5 because it did drive me to finish it, and I did keep trying to play the puzzles despite frustration. But what it does is force you to become hyper aware of everything on the screen, and to just let your mind float into some odd abstract solution. It's almost like if you focus too hard on some of the problems you can't solve them because the solutions are often bizarre. But if you view this game as a weird exercise in pushing buttons in machine with alot of moving parts that aren't supposed to make sense, but where you watch and get feedback by trial and error, just trying random things sometimes to see what happens - then you might be able to enjoy this.

I give it 5 because it does have something about it that makes you want to finish it. I don't know if I'd call it fun - but it is a curiosity. And again - the art really is nice.
  13. Dec 22, 2013
    Indeed its details are carefully crafted, and all that. However, I personally totally dislike its style so much that I don't want to play it any more. The whole environment, music, and the protagonist's weak characteristics and haplessness(constantly flashes his memory of being totally bullied and beaten up by some other guys(robots)) just make you feel so damn depressed. Not to mentionIndeed its details are carefully crafted, and all that. However, I personally totally dislike its style so much that I don't want to play it any more. The whole environment, music, and the protagonist's weak characteristics and haplessness(constantly flashes his memory of being totally bullied and beaten up by some other guys(robots)) just make you feel so damn depressed. Not to mention adding the feeling of scratching your head at a puzzle for half an hour hour without figuring out the solution. Games like this are supposed to make you happy or at least edified, but not negative and depressive and even start doubting yourself(seriously if you emphasize with the protagonist you can't help but feel so). What a depressive experience really. Expand

1. But the puzzles themselves are nearly an unmitigated joy.
  2. Remakes and IP revivals may be raking in the big bucks at the moment, but this artistically unique original is the game that really deserves your love and respect. [Nov 2009, p.106]
  3. Machinarium is a treat for the senses that demands more of your brain, a paradoxically gentle yet punishing riff on a genre that, until now, had been revived but sadly defanged for modern players.