8.7

1. Aug 24, 2010
  2. Aug 8, 2011
    It´s a game full of atmosphere & lovely figures. One of the few I´m really proud I played to the end and solved all puzzled without cheating. But it needed a time till i found out, that the book gives recommendation to the puzzles. Maybe the best game ever ! I hope there will be anther like it. But it´ll be not beatable...
  3. Feb 17, 2011
    This is a really cool, well put together puzzle game. It is completely flash based with great music plus a cute and funny story. It's amusing, clever, witty, stupid, fun, easy, challenging, and frustrating all at the same time. Throw some retro 80s gaming into the mix and you've wrapped up an enjoyable adventure.
  4. Jan 4, 2011
    Short but beautifully sweet. The art is perfect, with great bites of humour. Recommended especially for fans of games like The Neverhood and Grim Fandango etc.
  5. Jul 30, 2011
    best game i have played in my life . Fantastic music, beautiful art, charm in spadefuls mean that otherwise frustratingly difficult puzzles are just a reason to sit and have an assault on your senses. Not only that, you're free to look at the solution if you get too annoyed, though if you do solve them you'll be grinning from the genius of it for ages.
  6. Mar 14, 2011
    Entrancingly beautiful and very playable with some fiendishly difficult puzzles. Wonderful atmosphere and music. If you played the flash game Samorost you will have an idea of what is in store for you. A classic graphical adventure / puzzle game that will keep you busy for a few days.
  7. Nov 11, 2012
    One of the best games I have ever played. Possibly the best graphical adventure game I have seen. Beautiful artwork, challenging puzzles, great music, touching characters and story. A lot of care went into this. I wish there were more games as good as this. That said, I ended up playing this longer on the Android tablet version than the PC version - despite a few minor bugs in the Android version it seems more suited to that format. Expand
  8. Dec 31, 2011
    I loved it. Beuatiful art style, no text dialogues, great puzzles. Reminds me a lot of Neverhood. Have finished it without using a single hint. Limbo+Sequence+Machinarium = Indie Supergames. Enough said.
  9. Aug 4, 2011
    Amazing game!
    Just play the demo and you'll be hooked!
    The developers went really far in this adventure - the artwork is amazing and unique, sound is professional done, with some of the best sound tracks you'll encounter, the story is so cute, and the puzzles never reach the "insanely hard and ridiculous" mode :)
    Strongly recommend - even if you have never played an Adventure / Quest genre before.
  10. Apr 10, 2012
    An interesting journey through an atmospheric world with a phenomenal soundtrack. Definitely recommend this game, played it through two times and loved every bit of it. A few of the last puzzles can be frustrating though so beware. Beautiful game in every way.
  11. Jul 17, 2012
    Machinarium is quite simply one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. The game is beautiful, with brilliant animation and a great hand drawn art style creating a charm that immerses you in the game world. The music is great and also adds to the immersion. The story is full of interesting, quirky characters and is strung together with intriguing, intelligently designed puzzles (with only a rare few feeling confusing). Overall, Machinarium is a unique, refreshing experience that oozes charm and style. I would highly recommend this to all. Expand
  12. Aug 9, 2012
    This is one of my favourite games of all time. I love puzzle games. I love cute characters. I love a good story. With Machinarium I got all this and more. I had problems with some puzzles and felt that the solutions were a little weird. You know like old point and click adventures with non-logic solutions... This can be charming but also frustrating... I would give this game a 9.5 because of the slight frustrations from time to time. Currently overall ratings are 9 so I'll give it a 10! Expand
  13. Nov 9, 2012
    Signed up to give this game the feedback it deserves. I come from an adventure game background, (Monkey Island, The Dig, Full Throttle, LOOM, Beneath A Steel Sky etc). For those of use who love the genre, very little has been produced in the last decade. When it is, it isn't always great.

But this is great.

ARTWORK: At one point, I was staring at a gas canister on an elevator in the
    game, wondering how it got from being visualised to finished result. A mix of simple and super detailed, these are characterful and top notch environments. Great attention to detail, such as an unfocused panning foreground in some scenes.

CHARACTERS: For a game without dialogue, I got a great feel for the main character, loved what I was allowed to know about the villains, and was attached enough to drive the story.

STORY: A lot of cut scenes, both of scene-setting and back-story could have been used, but it's to the game's glory that they weren't. It allows the game to move faster, and lets you work out what kind of a setting/society/government they are in as you go along, rather than having it all spelled out for you. What you do know keeps you playing, a mix of survival, save the day, save the girl, and exploration.

SOUNDTRACK: I thought it was perfect match, and I have no complaints. A good variety, subtly faded in and out if the source is a radio within the game etc. Again, for a small production, knowing they must have recorded sounds from the musicians in the street down to the screwing on of a metal lid is inspiring.

PUZZLES: I marvel at the poor reviews from people who found it too hard. If you are used to adventure games, this borders on a little too easy. It makes it playable in a day, whilst having the enjoyment of eureka moments. The puzzles are fair/sensible, one or two have a red herring thrown in, but there is nothing that will have you wandering the same screens for hours wondering if you missed an item somewhere.

The second main distinction between this and other point and clicks in my experience (the first being the lack of dialogue), is the PUZZLE puzzles thrown in. This isn't just a case of 'pick up x, combine x and y, give to z', you will get some great IQ test moments! I found these deeply satisfying, and very constructive. It's easy to feel like you're wasting time even on good games, you will feel smarter after these mini-games! They are all possible, but they are rewarding, so don't expect first-try success.

I noticed a great many parallels to Beneath A Steel Sky, and it's a worthy homage. Certain locations and the end scenes for sure. Machinarium is very much its own unique world and style, so this mirroring is done tastefully and very nostalgically for those of us who have played B.A.S.S.

In a world where expensive graphics cards need to be bought to realistically portray chunks of flesh flying everywhere, this is a lovingly made, very skilfully crafted game. From the sound effects to the backgrounds to the puzzles, it is well worth buying and playing. Think of a man carving an exquisitely ornamented cabinet by candle-light, knowing many of the finer details may go unnoticed anyway. That is the sort of deidcated talent this game harks to.

Currently it can be bought cheaper than ever via Humble Bundle 4, google that if you're interested.

If you have enjoyed any adventure games in the past, be ready to add this to your list.

Charm, fun, variety and style.
  14. Jan 4, 2014
    I have played through this game about 4 times now and I still enjoy it so much, it is still one of the best games I have ever played. Graphics are beautiful and story line is superb and soundtrack is remarkable you will never regret buying this. 10/10
  15. Apr 16, 2013
    Gee son, if you have not played Machinarium yet then how can you be a true master race gamer?
    Also beware for ultrasexymagichot Music from Tomas Dvorak
  16. Jul 31, 2013
    An immersive point-and-click adventure with extremely beautiful soundtrack and artwork. Seriously, the soundtrack is so amazing and mindblowing, I haven't seen anything like it in a game before. Useful tips (along with a whole walkthrough) are included in the game in case you are lost. You have to be a bit patient the puzzles are varying from old school to innovative and can get quite hard.
    Enjoy the music and have a good time, 100% guaranteed. Actually, as I wrote this review, I got a sudden urge to go and dive into the game once more to relive the perfection again.
  17. Oct 25, 2013
    The puzzles in this game are not very challenging.
    The artwork is beautiful and the story is cute.
    Overall Machinarium is a very relaxing game to play.
    If you have the chance, give this game a try.
  18. Sep 22, 2011
    It's good to see that this game has been recieved so well as it has, cause it's absolute worth the credit. The art style, the adorable robot characters, the clear, mute dialogues still able to convey a nice storyline, the fun puzzles that are to be solved.. Well, all has been said by now so there's nothing left for you but to get this game. And while your at it, also take a look at the somewhat overlooked Samorost series, I think you'll find quite some resemblance. Expand
  19. Aug 30, 2011
    Never thought I would fall in love with a $10 indie puzzle game, but this is more than that. It's an adorable, fascinating adventure. The HAND DRAWN artstyle of this game should be in a museum and the the soundtrack is insanely good. The characters don't speak a word yet it's so easy to fall in love with them. It's also one of the few puzzle games where the puzzles actually make sense.
  20. Mar 10, 2011
    I really enjoyed this game. Fantastic art and wonderful music. A little too short for my taste but if you are looking for a nice adventure then buying Machinarium is not a lost money.
  21. Mar 22, 2011
    I was initially put off when I realised this was a point and click Flash based game but I quickly got over it once I started playing. As a lot of people have already mentioned this is a beautifully made game with fantastic attention to detail and extremely well thoughout puzzles. I'm more than happy to pay for something so expertly crafted.
  22. Jul 8, 2011
    If you're a fan of point-and-click puzzle games, you need to play Machinarium. The animation and music are a pleasure to witness and the puzzles range from clever to devilishly difficult. Without question, Machinarium is the best game of this type that I've ever played. Why not a score of 10 then? The game's done in Adobe Flash, and even with all of the suggestions to avoid a freeze or crash, it still happens, so save save save your progress like it's a bad habit. I may sound nit picky, but while most of the puzzles are satisfying to play and make you feel like you've accomplished something great when you complete them, there's a few that you really don't want to do a second time, and if you didn't save and the game crashes on you ohhh boy... Other than the glitches associated with Flash, Machinarium's an enjoyable, perfect point-and-click game and is my new benchmark for the genre. Expand
  23. Nov 19, 2011
    This little game is a gem! The visuals and the music combine perfectly to create a surreal atmosphere that's both bizarre and charming. The characters are all quirky, in the best possible way. Now, too much cuteness can become tacky and even repulsive, but Machinarium manages to throw bucketfuls of cute at you without ever crossing that line. It's a bit like being in a cross between a Pixar short and the sci-fi cult classic, "Fantastic Planet" ("La Planète Sauvage"). The latter, coincidentally, is also a Czech production. The whole thing is clever and imaginative and completely immersive. The puzzles are fun and you're in for a few nice surprises and chuckles in terms of games within the game. The game is very short and the replayability is quite low, in large part because it's linear and the puzzles are not randomized. Some would criticize the game for this, but that would be misunderstanding Machinarium. It's more like a movie experience than a video game that you can play over and over, and I've had far less fun at movies for less time and a more money. But even if you play it only once, that one time is worth it and you're missing out if you avoid the game just for that. My only complaints are (1) the resolution is fixed, which is normal for this kind of hand-drawn artwork, but unsatisfying when you have a 1080p screen that's used only partly, and (2) since this is a flash game, when you right-click, you get Adobe's useless menu, which kind of breaks the mood. I bought it today, played through it, and it left me with a sense of joy and satisfaction, and maybe a little twinge that it's over. And to hell with replayability, I'll come back to it again just to revisit this wonderful little world. Expand
  24. Jun 19, 2012
    A very nicely done game with some great puzzles, fun mini-games and a wonderful created environment. I really enjoyed playing this one. There were a few puzzles which really got me stumped but, that's what a puzzle game is about, right? The hint system allows one to get either an easy hint or a full walk through if so needed (although I'd advise against using the full walk through unless you really can't figure it out).
    My only real qualm is one. I found the ending to be too brief. It would have been nice to have a good ending to an otherwise great puzzle game!
  25. Jul 1, 2013
    I have to admit I absolutely loved the art style in this game, it is so different and unique which separates this from so many other games. At first glimpse this games colors look dull and average but as you progress you will learn otherwise. The puzzles, the main part of this game, work well and smoothly. Some puzzles require quite a bit of thinking or you can always play the little mini-game to access the puzzle solver. The characters in this game make minimal noise and do not speak which adds a feeling of eeriness to the world. If you're a fan of puzzle games or just want to try something different, I recommend this game. Expand
  26. Aug 14, 2012
    If you love Scumm Engine games of yesteryear such as Full throttle, the Dig, Sam and Max etc... Then you will thoroughly enjoy this game. Amanita created a very cool world with this game, likeable characters, and surprisingly tough puzzles. I have always tried to complete games like this without the use of walkthroughs, and I can honestly say I only had to look up the location of a single item. Note that many of the puzzles took a substantial amount of time to solve, but are extremely rewarding when you figure them out. On the other hand, if you have no patience for puzzles this is probably not the game for you. Not the flashiest (no pun intended) game, but great music and style were well worth the price/time invested. Expand
  27. Dec 27, 2012
    This is my favorite adventure game. The story and characters are very interesting despite the total absence of dialog! The puzzles are very tough, but also very logical. No "combine the fish-hook with the balloon of laughing gas" kind of nutty solutions. I used hints a few times, but later I regretted it because I was 75% to the solution when I gave up. The artwork is really beautiful, more so than any other game I have played. I used a version downloaded from Steam. I did not have any technical problems. I think this is a really special game that I would recommend to anyone who likes puzzles and adventure games. Expand
  28. Feb 4, 2014
    Amanita Design's games are always great. Beautiful artwork, great and interesting music and sounds. And I think Amanitas games are the only point-and-click-adventures that I ever played without getting annoyed and then start using a walkthrough. The puzzles are not easy, but somehow solvable. And if you ever get stuck, there is a mini-game, which lets you unlock a walkthrough for the current screen.

People are complaining about the short duration of the game. I don't. I'd rather have 6 great hours than 15 average.

Only thing that I thought could be done better: Though the world with all its beauty and details is really immersive, the story is not. You start to like the world and its characters, but somehow the story just seems like a chain of more or less random events, and not like a complete, connected story. Maybe because it is just difficult to tell a story without any words...

Anyway - highly recommended!! Looking forward to Anamita's next games!!
  29. Nov 14, 2014
    Excellent game dont listen to the haters. Only flaw is the end puzzle but only if you cant play piano. Very heartwarming story and a lot of fun solving the puzzles. If your a jackass and not into indy games skip it but if you like a challenge give it it a try. Its awesome.
  30. Jul 28, 2013
    Definitely not a game for people with short patience. Hard puzzles, but not impossible, that make you think before making your next move, and not randomly clicking your way to find the exit as fast as possible. Beautiful artwork and backgrounds, good soundtrack and likable characters with a simple story to tell. I got on steam for $3 and it definitely paid off.
    The only reason I find to
    not give this game a 10, is that sometimes, depending on your graphic settings, the game just froze and the animation crashed. But despite some minor glitches, it's a gem hidden in a sea of mindless "point'n'clicks". Expand
  31. Aug 8, 2013
    Machinarium is one incredibly beautiful game. It has wonderful graphics, exceedingly cute characters, and just a wonderful, wonderful setting. I love just about everything it has to offer, from interesting puzzles to awesome music.

My only gripe, or rather, lament, with it is the lack of continuation. It's neither based on chapters nor episodes, and looks to be a one-off unless the
    creators announce a sequel to it. It has lots of potential. I just wish it'd continue.

Oh, and, if you're ever stuck in this game and are too lazy or impatient to check out communities online or youtube walkthroughs, the game offers you hints provided you play a game for it first. It's a fine addition the Machinarium and I love that they thought of little details like this.

If you're into pretty/soothing visuals, cute characters and fun puzzles to solve, Machinarium is your game! Just be warned that it will entertain you for a few hours at best before the game ends and you're left to mourn its premature conclusion.
  32. Dec 27, 2013
    Beautiful, very clever.
    Finished in 10 hours, absolutely worth the price.

One small minor defect is the control is not always perfect. Some shortcuts of scenes already played would have been welcome.
  33. Dec 12, 2013
    Almost a classic... almost, because he lacks VERY little to be it...

However, highly recommended graphic adventure: the choice of the setting, with a series of "neurotic" robots, one more "cute" than the other, makes it almost irresistible.

Again, warmly recommended...
  34. Aug 2, 2014
    Fantastic adventure game that has all the qualities of a true point and click adventure classic. Beautiful hand-drawn visuals, non-dialog communication system, touching story of that one little robot, plenty of logic puzzles and action mini-games, solutions are mostly logic, but even if you get stuck you can just play a little rocket mini-game and after successfully finishing it you will get a nice in-game visual. Lots of humor and I just looove that robotic jazz band, those guys rock! That brings me to an amazing electronic soundtrack by Tomas Dvorak that I still play just for the background ambience until this day. This is how a good adventure games should be done. 9/10 Expand
  35. Dec 31, 2013
    It's a very artistic game, it's like every location is a painting, the music goes perfectly with the environment. I think it's an underrated game. It's a change from all those shooting games.
  36. Jan 9, 2012
    THE REASON, PLAIN AND SIMPLE. PRISTINE ARTWORK OF EPIC PROPORTIONS, STYLISHLY CREATIVE PUZZLES AND THE BAR OF CHALLENGE IS SET FAR IN CLOUDS. Machinarium, is epic-ally phenomenal leap, in the puzzle universe of games. From the sometimes extreme challenge of levels, the careful and utter beauty of the artwork, and the symphony of the pure soundtrack. This is must buy, no , its a buy right now. So buy it! CDO Expand
  37. Dec 13, 2011
    A beautiful and lonely flash game that is full of surprises. There have only been a few times that I got completely lost and found myself clicking everything with frustration. Overall I deeply enjoyed this artistic game and music very much and hope for more like it.
  38. Feb 12, 2012
    Okay it might just be a flash game (deletes all browsing history on computer = loses all Machinarium save data - Ahhhhh!), but it oozes charm. An absolute delight of a game with beautiful hand drawn scenes and wonderful memorable characters (I still feel bloody awful about that cat). As a point-and-click adventure it does of course suffer from moments of random clicking allover the screen as you fail to pick up on a clue, but less so than other games of its type. I think the only thing which I didn't appreciate about the game, was the fact that it was flash based. It would have been nice to have something a little more robust, especially for my money. But I'm nit picking there because this is a truly wonderful little game with some brilliantly designed puzzles and oodles of charm. Expand
  39. Mar 21, 2012
    really really great ambient music and awesome graphics is what makes this game great in my opinion. though for me, some puzzles were way too obscure.
  40. Mar 14, 2014
    Cool. These little games are becoming more adorable. Great artwork. Very amusing gameplay. I think Machinarium is that kind of games you love at first sight.
  41. Nov 7, 2012
    This game is as short as awesome. 'nuff said! (No seriously, that's it. I'm currently typing this due to the character's minimum limit, nothing else to say: the game excels at what it does as simple as a point and click adventure might be, and it's damn artsy!)
  42. Jul 11, 2012
    What a ripper of a game, normally not my type of thing, but they have nailed it. The whole thing is put together really well, clever puzzles and amazing aesthetics is the going experience. The great art direction does a good job of hinting just enough on what to do next, and if you do get stuck they have incorporated a mini game which takes about a minute to complete to have a peak at a comic style set of pictures nudging you on what you should be doing. The only thing is would say was a disappointment was the length, if only the game was longer . It set out to do what it wanted to and i think the length was decent for what the game actually is, but i enjoyed it so much that i wanted more! Expand
  43. Dec 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A nice break in all the action and explosion and killing mayhem we have come to know and love. Its a fun game about a nice robot pal with dumb luck ending up in the adventure of a mild mannered life time. While it can get tedious with all the random clicking one will eventually do, the artistic design actually works the balance this out since you can't help but enjoy the scenery. The main character is lovable and as you learn about his "past" with getting bullied you can't help but want to help him save his friends at the end of the day. Some problems would be the tediousness in solving the puzzles and of course to lower leveled puzzles that sometimes just need a bit of luck in figuring, but you get those small gems of a puzzle in between where you feel a very sincere moment of accomplishment when you figure it out. The hint system is not all that helpful when caught in the middle of a rather difficult puzzle, but that is quickly remedied by the in-game walkthrough. While many may want to immediately go for it one should take care in realizing that each time takes a small and in my opinion very poor mini game to open it and the walkthrough has no words, so it may confuse you more than help in some situations. Overall it is a break in the high speed movement of today's games and game worth playing, but I personally got this game on a sale and would recommend for others to wait for the sale as well. In gamers I would recommend to the more casual ones, especially those with an iPad, but also to those who just like to see and experience and different side of gaming not seen much. Expand
  44. Mar 8, 2014
    A Wonderful point-and-click adventure, with nice story, cute characters and delightful music. Although a save bug that may stole you hours of gameplay, a bad designed final room that may stole you hours of gameplay too, and the bizarre absence of support from developers, it is one of the best games on this genre i ever play. With no time losses it grants you around 10 hrs playing.
  45. Jun 10, 2014
    Pese a no ser las aventuras gráficas con puzles uno de mis género favoritos, este videojuego por su calidad gráfica y su fluidez de mecánicas es muy recomendable. También el hecho de ser una experiencia corta hace que no se haga tediosa. Una buena compra.
  46. May 2, 2012
    Machinarium is a point and click adventure game made with flash, as such sometimes I experienced weird performance issues, but overall a fun adventure.

The atmosphere is very calm and enjoyable. Some puzzle suffer from the typical adventure game issue; such as when you can think of a solution that 'would' work but is not the 'one' solution. Still, I only needed online help once but also
    felt challenged.

I'd love to see another in the same vein/aesthetic.
  47. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is done with great artistic style and has many fun and touchy moments. Unfortunately, the gameplay is very typical to this type of games: you just randomly click on all the small objects on the screen until something happens and you progress to the next screen with another puzzle. This game may be fun for an hour, while you are still under the impression from the art style, yet later you get very bored and annoyed with the random nature of the puzzles. Also, when the game is done, there is nothing to come back to. Expand
  48. Jul 20, 2013
    A good game but the difficulty curve is a little steep. While I absolutely loved the first half of the game, I found myself using the hint book a little too frequently during the second half. Despite some frustration, the art style and music are incredibly well done and the characters manage to be charming and memorable without ever talking. It’s a game worth playing, just be prepared for a challenge. Expand
  49. Jun 30, 2014
    In a nutshell this is a classic puzzle game with incredible art and engaging sound. If you like puzzle games then definitely give this a try. If you're expecting a platformer, you might want to steer clear.
  50. Feb 5, 2014
    Good fun playing this game. Lots of intelligent puzzles to work out. Excellent graphics and funny story. Unfortunately the game ended too quickly. why did they make such a short game? Hence the low score.
  51. Oct 29, 2014
    Wow... Tell me, what kind of game was that after all?
    The graphics and level of detail were overdone! Also the music was very nice - but these puzzles... the totally ridiculous puzzles! How the hell would I ever be able to unravel these partially cruel mysteries?
    It sometimes was so hilarious that I started to laugh myself to tears whilst reading the walkthrough. Man, was this game some
    harsh brain-teaser...

For example: At one point you have to go up and down underneath a power line because a bird is sitting on it and you need to get it down. What was I doing? Walking up and down all time with the bird doing the same. I almost exploded... When I finally got the idea to seesaw the robot up and down because that's what he does to reach things high above or down below. That took some doing.

But okay, the games is not bad after all, it's... special. Especially its puzzles. So please don't get too frustrated about them. In return the game is very short.
  52. Aug 30, 2013
    I give it 6, because the art is very good, but from a gameplay standpoint this is really bad. Half of the puzzles are uberboring chinese-like riddles that doesn't involve at all interacting with your surroundings, the others are sometimes unintuitive and requires you to randomly click on the screen until something happens, or to just give up out of boredom and use the ingame walkthrough. A walkthrough that requires you to play a little boring shooting game every time you use it, even in the same screen. But the peak was when I found myself playing space invaders. Really, I wasn't there to play freaking space invaders. Boring and frustrating, this is how I feel about this game, I don't recommend it unless you are a die hard point and click adventures player. Expand
  53. Jan 14, 2012
    The first thing you will notice is that this is bare bones Flash. Right clicking the screen will show you Flash settings. It very much has a feel of a browser game, through and through. The game does not automatically disable the screensaver, nor does it allow you to alt-tab out of it without locking up in full screen. The only way to get back into the game is to end its process in Task Manager. Even without those problems, the game will lock up itself, for no apparent reason whatsoever. These lock-ups happen so frequently, that it requires an immense amount of patience to play this game. The only way I was able to stop this massive problem was by running the game in windowed mode. Even though you can select for the display to be full screen, that is not accurate, nor is it true. The developer's version of full screen means the game will still take up a small area of your screen, and will be surrounded by a large black area. The gameplay is of traditional point and click adventure games of the past, with pixel hunting for actions and puzzle solving for mechanics. All puzzles appear to be logical, and will require the expected amount of thinking to resolve them, with the occasionally extreme venture in trial and error. The music is okay and fits the setting well. This soundtrack has been revered around gaming circles, and I deem it to be bland, uninspired, overrated, and even depressing at times. The art design is interesting and unique, but many games of the genre in today's day and age (and of the past) are also comparable in art quality. Machinarium does not bring anything new or different to the point and click adventure genre. This game is for those who like or love the style and genre. For someone like me, who has been out of practice from the point and click adventure genre, this game is difficult to complete without any help. This setback is to be expected due to the genre. The ending leaves a lot to be desired, and it's actually a disappointment. Overall, I would only recommend Machinarium to fans of the genre, as there is really not much to the experience. In addition, there is zero replayability, and the game's length is not reminiscent of the original 90s hits. Expand
  54. Jul 24, 2012
    The good: Art is great. Whimsical animations. Music. The story. I cared about the little robot.

The problem: Game is frustrating by arbitrariness of puzzles - just jumping through hoops to get to the next puzzle. Alternate solutions are not possible. You must solve a certain puzzle a certain way to progress. You'll probably use HELP alot. That said I give it 5 because it did drive
    me to finish it, and I did keep trying to play the puzzles despite frustration. But what it does is force you to become hyper aware of everything on the screen, and to just let your mind float into some odd abstract solution. It's almost like if you focus too hard on some of the problems you can't solve them because the solutions are often bizarre. But if you view this game as a weird exercise in pushing buttons in machine with alot of moving parts that aren't supposed to make sense, but where you watch and get feedback by trial and error, just trying random things sometimes to see what happens - then you might be able to enjoy this.

I give it 5 because it does have something about it that makes you want to finish it. I don't know if I'd call it fun - but it is a curiosity. And again - the art really is nice.
  55. Dec 22, 2013
    Indeed its details are carefully crafted, and all that. However, I personally totally dislike its style so much that I don't want to play it any more. The whole environment, music, and the protagonist's weak characteristics and haplessness(constantly flashes his memory of being totally bullied and beaten up by some other guys(robots)) just make you feel so damn depressed. Not to mention adding the feeling of scratching your head at a puzzle for half an hour hour without figuring out the solution. Games like this are supposed to make you happy or at least edified, but not negative and depressive and even start doubting yourself(seriously if you emphasize with the protagonist you can't help but feel so). What a depressive experience really. Expand
  56. Jul 9, 2011
    This game is a souped up Flash game. It is cute and the music is suitable and fun at times. However I feel I'm often reduced to clicking on random objects to figure out what I'm supposed to do. There's an option to see a walkthrough for the current area, which is a must for this game to be playable, but you have to play a side scrolling shooter mini game to unlock it. I don't like reading the whole walkthrough, just the steps I need to get me a bit further. Unfortunately every time you open the walkthrough, even for the same screen, you have to do this damn shooter thing. This game is so annoying, it drove me to stop playing and sign up to metacritic just to write this review!!!

On the other hand, it's a nice concept and I enjoyed it for the first hour or so.
  57. Mar 19, 2012
    A pretty looking point-and-click adventure game without any great puzzles to solve (Space Invaders is not a great puzzle to solve). The bonus art pages being used as cheat sheets rather than as rewards for success annoyed me as well. Inoffensive. Two stars.
  58. Jul 23, 2012
    I can easily describe this game with the word "boring." The graphics are unique, sure, but just about everything else in the game is sub-par. Unless you are the kind of person that is a die hard point and click game lover, then I highly recommend you steer far clear of this title.
  59. CRL
    Aug 31, 2011
    Yes. The visuals are amazingly vivid and beautiful. Yes. The music is fantastic. News flash: I don't buy a game because of it's visuals and music, for that I buy a documentary about Italy. I buy a game for a fun and interesting experience, and on that front this was quite frankly a waste of money. Each puzzle is either completely obvious or so ridiculous that you need to resort to the little walkthrough minigame to find the answer. Then, if you actually want to gain some satisfaction by completing a puzzle, the only solution is to randomly click on every possibly object that could be used in said puzzle. Also, it would have been nice to know that deleting flash cookies would clear all saves too... but apparently that's not important enough for the fine print. And there is no way anyone should be able to charge $10 for a game so obscenely boring and eventually extremely annoying. Expand

1. But the puzzles themselves are nearly an unmitigated joy.
  2. Remakes and IP revivals may be raking in the big bucks at the moment, but this artistically unique original is the game that really deserves your love and respect. [Nov 2009, p.106]
  3. Machinarium is a treat for the senses that demands more of your brain, a paradoxically gentle yet punishing riff on a genre that, until now, had been revived but sadly defanged for modern players.