Mafia II PC

7.9

1. Aug 25, 2010
    The game's plot like is basically a mixture of the Godfather, and Goodfellas, you're a war hero, come back from the war and fall into a life of crime with your friend. The open world nature of this game is not the same as GTA, which to me is a good thing, there aren't a million half-assed mini-games to play. Each section of the city feels different, China-town feels different than LittleThe game's plot like is basically a mixture of the Godfather, and Goodfellas, you're a war hero, come back from the war and fall into a life of crime with your friend. The open world nature of this game is not the same as GTA, which to me is a good thing, there aren't a million half-assed mini-games to play. Each section of the city feels different, China-town feels different than Little Italy. I'm not going to list any spoilers but I do feel like this plot is decent, the voice acting is pretty good for the most part, the in-car conversations are pretty humorous a lot of the time. The driving is a HUGE improvement over the first game, the cars feel like real cars would from the 40s that is spongey suspension and sluggish acceleration, this is not bad design, it's how the actual cars behaved back then. The map is actually displayed in the radar instead of the lame "map" that's in the first game.

The guns are all fun, though the pistols pretty much all seem the same power, even the magnum (and the magnum sound a little goofy, like a cartoon gun). There is an actual cover system in the game, and overall the fights are much improved over the first game. This is a great game, it's heavy on graphics card, so I recommend looking into mods on how to disable the physics of the clothing in the game.

Overall I've really enjoyed this game and don't understand why people are criticizing it for NOT being just a GTA clone, it's a game I honestly find more fun than GTA.
  2. Jan 3, 2011
    Do not listen to those who doesn't know what they want from life. I have played tons of games in my life and I can assure you Mafia II is one of the best games I have ever played. It is not the classic "Go shoot someone" without a reason (A.K.A GTA IV). Everything you do has that "1930 gangster" feeling. You aren't the baddest **** in Earth but you are definitely close to achieve that.Do not listen to those who doesn't know what they want from life. I have played tons of games in my life and I can assure you Mafia II is one of the best games I have ever played. It is not the classic "Go shoot someone" without a reason (A.K.A GTA IV). Everything you do has that "1930 gangster" feeling. You aren't the baddest **** in Earth but you are definitely close to achieve that.

The graphics are really good, not the best in the market nowadays but it's amazing anyway.

The shooting system is pretty awesome. Bullets do hurt you pretty badly. If someone shoot you in the back, you are dead. Firing a Tommy Gun was never as fun as in this game. The best thing you can do to prove this is to rob a store (in a really real way), and destroy everything in the famous 1930's machine gun.

The fighting system is... well, seriously awful. It's SO lame that even a 2 years old baby can beat the strongest enemy. You just have to cover and hit while the enemy is tired.

The driving system is quite standard. Nothing new in this, but I still like it. It adds the "realism" driving mode, but it's pretty lame anyway. if you liked GTA IV driving system you'll surely like this one.

The story is more than awesome. It was like a movie (a really good one). Good characters, in a really dark world where anyone is what they seem to be. Uncovered cops, dirty and sadistic bosses and even the chinese mafia.

In the other hand, characters are a solid 10. You even feel what they feel and actually suffer with them. From Joe to Henry or Luca, everyone is unique and can't be better in anyway.

Some bad points: No side missions. This is the biggest mistake imo. 2K screwed it up with this one.

The cops are pretty stupid. Their AI is more than awful.

There is no complete nudity. Come on, guys. We are mature enough to see some **** some of us even have family. This is becoming seriously lame!

If you like intense shootings, to torn apart everything (from concrete walls to cars), to kick the **** out of the bad ones (Because they suffer when their time comes. A lot.) or even walk calmly in the huge city, this is the game for you.
  3. Apr 14, 2011
    First of all I would like to say that I played the whole thing from start to finish (so this is not an uninformed review). Second of all I would like to mention that I never got a chance to play the first one, still haven't played it and probably will not play it (so my review is based only on Mafia II). Ok, so I will begin by commenting on the story, it is great. If it was a movie, itFirst of all I would like to say that I played the whole thing from start to finish (so this is not an uninformed review). Second of all I would like to mention that I never got a chance to play the first one, still haven't played it and probably will not play it (so my review is based only on Mafia II). Ok, so I will begin by commenting on the story, it is great. If it was a movie, it would have probably fared well, you know with all those gun fights and Mafia meetings and going to prison and such. It is not so much a sandbox game, it is more of a shooter game, I know because when I played, all of the difficulty of the game rests on the gunfights and covering system, and even some stealth. The "sandbox" aspect of the game is where you have to drive to every objective, they are long drives, and sometimes when you miss an exit, you have to circle all the way back again and drive for another 2-3minutes, you can buy clothes and guns, and that's about it, oh and take care not to speed or else the cops will be at your tail fast. Also there are plenty of fist fights, where you push the right buttons and you win. The graphics though are really novel and crisp. Even at low res, this game looks amazing and sharp and performs extremely well. This is in fact your standard third person shooter, and if your good at shooters, than this game is for you. As far as "freedom" and "sandbox" go, there is not very much to it, I might compare it to Just Cause 2 without all the optional side missions. Anyway story is good, gun and fist fights are good, just needed a little bit more development in the "sandbox" aspect of it. Expand
  4. Jan 2, 2011
    This is a great game! Forget those Reviews who say its strictly linear. Yes, it is. There`s a lot of story in it, its like playing a Movie. You can`t compare it to GTA IV, it`s like compairing S.T.A.L.K.E.R and Modern Warfare.
    Modern Warfare is also Strictly linear...and not a Bad Game at all....
    Modern Warfare is also Strictly linear...and not a Bad Game at all....
    Mafia II is Superb, Great graphics, cool Missiondesign and the Developers put in all their heart.
    Maybe it`s not "A perfect Game", but which Game is? If you look for a fast paced 3rd person action Game i would recommend something else (Just cause 2...etc)
  5. Jan 3, 2011
    excellent game, excellent story, nice graphic and sounds, good music, great characters, every mission is original and not boring like some GTA IV missions, you can download free ride mod, ....
    EXCELLENT !
  6. Jul 12, 2012
    Mafia 2 has always been marked to resemble the GTA IV, and really not right. It is a much more linear, with an atmosphere and graphics much more care than GTA IV, a very interesting story (and more so for the players of the first Mafia) and very good gameplay, but with the drawback of that these very limited in your environment, for example can not you jump or swim. The length is quiteMafia 2 has always been marked to resemble the GTA IV, and really not right. It is a much more linear, with an atmosphere and graphics much more care than GTA IV, a very interesting story (and more so for the players of the first Mafia) and very good gameplay, but with the drawback of that these very limited in your environment, for example can not you jump or swim. The length is quite important, and with a few perks and achievements. The DLC demases objects and are not as necessary or flashy, just the game that bring history to recommend. Other glues may be that once the campaign no replay value and you can keep on keeping on, that unlike the GTA franchise tenes still free to roam the city and a multiplayer. But the duration of the price offered is quite respectable. Expand
  7. Mar 21, 2012
    Everything Is Amazing And Really amazing Story in the game but the bad thing is the game ends really early a really short game and if you try to make mafia III please make the game more longer!
  8. Jul 18, 2012
    A perfect Story Game ? whats up 7.1 ? this game need a 9.7 ! ! ! !

German: einer der besten Mafia spiele, was ich je spielte. underbare Grafik mitfühlende Story.
    Die Atmosphäre alles wunderbar. Bei steam eine 77 gamescore ? unverständlich, das kann nur eine ursache haben :
    GTA Cheater kinder waren am werke, und haben das spiel nicht geschnallt !
  9. Jan 14, 2013
    This is really good game, very interesting story, and wonderful gaming world. You may love it, if you buy it. Developers of this game deserve big congratulations, great work. This game starts a new era of PC games. Try it and you´ll see.
  10. Sep 22, 2014
    Another successful game from 2K Czech (ex-Illusion Softworks). I love to see games like this. This game really worth playing, even if he stayed a long time in development. Some very good soundtracks. What can I say, Mafia game series is one of the best games ever created.

" Away from Sicily, across the ocean to start a new life in America. Never in my life had I seen anything as fantastic as empire bay, it was beautiful. But on the other hand, I'd never seen anything more filthy and so disgusting as our new s--t-hole of an apartment. The American dream was more like a nightmare. " - Vito Scaleta
  11. Sep 8, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Wirklich gutes gelungenes Action Game mit guter Grafik und Sound. Leider nicht vergleichbar mit GTA da es keine gründe zum erkunden der Stadt gibt oder beschäftigungs Möglichkeiten. Aber über die gesamte Spielzeit gut inszenierte Action mit Film reifer Geschichte.
    GrüÃ
  12. Sep 7, 2010
    the strength of this game comes from its storyline! well thought and very enjoyable. The build up to each scene and chapter really get the player itchin to get in there and scene what happens next. Easter eggs too!
  13. Oct 13, 2010
    I loved this game. The feeling of being immersed in the 40s and 50s is just amazing due to the truly deep attention to detail. This is not Grand Theft Auto, nor was it intended to be. It is a tight story driven game with fun gameplay set in an open and detailed world. Weapons are fun and rewardingly destructive. The real treat though is the art, which really brings the era alive.
  14. Sep 12, 2010
    the end of a trip, while playing mafia war2 , thanks to the trainers
    of cheatncode.com,before I became dizzy I found this trainer i will shared the link http://cheatncode.com/pc/mafia-ii-v1-0-0-11-trainer-11-pc-games
  15. Oct 1, 2010
    The remaining of this game is still actually great, if you just don't think about how much content have been cut, This game could have been great competitor to GTA series if they didn't chop it off this much, I blame 2k for every single point of the negative impact on the final product. if they care about us not money they would have retained option for alternate ending it would have addedThe remaining of this game is still actually great, if you just don't think about how much content have been cut, This game could have been great competitor to GTA series if they didn't chop it off this much, I blame 2k for every single point of the negative impact on the final product. if they care about us not money they would have retained option for alternate ending it would have added massive replay-ability. , Jimmy also ruined the game, he shouldn't have existed, ending is definitely not the "best one" like they said, but think about it....ending is perfectly sounded and doesn't deserves a whines it's getting. other than that city, graphic, characters, cut-scene, level design, driving, soundtracks is some thing "stunning" Expand
  16. Oct 3, 2010
    The game itself is quite limited. Driving, shooting/ boxing, that's about it; hardly any replay value. The storyline is never far away from the clichees we all know. Still, the game experience, continuity, and museum-like atmosphere are among the best in the game industry. I loved the hours I spent with Mafia 2.
  17. Nov 8, 2010
    As solid as it is, it could have been so much more. The developers mustve held back for their DLCs, and the sequel even.
    Nevertheless it was very enjoyable.

And more car chase sequences please.
  18. Jan 1, 2011
    This game is simply amazing. They put lots of effort into writing the story it seems and the gameplay is just as amazing... I took my time to beat it instead of rushing through it so I spent about 30 or so hours on it....So what if there is nothing to do after, thats how games were in the past...A game this amazing doesnt need a multiplayer. All multiplayer does is make all the work theyThis game is simply amazing. They put lots of effort into writing the story it seems and the gameplay is just as amazing... I took my time to beat it instead of rushing through it so I spent about 30 or so hours on it....So what if there is nothing to do after, thats how games were in the past...A game this amazing doesnt need a multiplayer. All multiplayer does is make all the work they put into the game pointless because of how many people dont like singleplayer..... And there is a multiplayer mod being made. This game is like playing a movie its almost entirely story based, but that doesnt take away from the thrill of the gunfights and just being able to drive the city. If you dont want to do the mission then just dont follow the marker, it will be just like a GTA free roam, with more strict cops. Which brings me to the cops. They will arrest you for almost anything....Wreckless driving, speeding, hit and run etc. and its not like on GTA where you can outrun them no problem....You have to outrun them which is usually done by tricking them to crash into a wall. They will remember you by either your car, license plate, or clothing, all of which can be changed. If they see you, you will have a few seconds to get out of there sight before they go after you. This is a must have if you like games with great stories and can overcome the fact that it has no multiplayer, which I did and that doesnt affect my opinion about it at all. My only complaint is i got a large amount of lag in small portions throughout the game so some lesser computers might not be able to run it. Mine is pretty good but i could use a better graphics card. Overall amazing game, I hope to see a Mafia 2! Expand
  19. Mar 24, 2011
    As someone who acknowledges that quality will forever triumph over quantity, I really appreciate it when a game developer employs the same attitude while designing video games. For that, I highly recommend you get yourself a copy of Mafia 2 as soon as possible. Set in the fictional city of Empire Bay, you're Vito Scalett, an Italian war-veteran trying to make a name for himself along withAs someone who acknowledges that quality will forever triumph over quantity, I really appreciate it when a game developer employs the same attitude while designing video games. For that, I highly recommend you get yourself a copy of Mafia 2 as soon as possible. Set in the fictional city of Empire Bay, you're Vito Scalett, an Italian war-veteran trying to make a name for himself along with his childhood friend, Joe. Together, you explore the ins and outs of the Mafia.

I personally haven't seen any of the Godfather films. I know what you're thinking, blasphemous, right? Just never got around to see them but I know it's a good trilogy so cut me a break! The closest thing I've exposure to organized crime is Martin Scorsese's The Departed. Eh, wasn't that film about the Mob? I assume the Mafia and the Mob are totally different? Whatever the case may be, Mafia 2 has got me engaged into the story so far. Captivating even, if I may add. I just purchased a copy yesterday so I'm far from completion. Roughly about 25% into the game. Expressing how much I'm loving every bit of it will be an understatement. If you're familiar with the Grand Theft Auto franchise (who the hell isn't?), Mafia 2 will come to you relatively easy. The basic mechanics are present. The entire city is sandbox so you can free-roam as and where you like, food & beverage/clothing stores to add a hint of role-playing elements, customize the cars you stole at the various garages in the city. Just to name a few.

If you would have me describe Empire City to you in one word, stunning comes to mind. The 1940's esque is astonishingly detailed to a point where it actually feels true-to-life. Even the fashion and the various vehicles have obviously been spared no expense. The game takes place over a span of years so you can basically see the city change. From the snowy, gloom that winter brings to a city to the lush, vibrant effects of spring. To simply put it, the atmosphere the game brings is no more than fantastic. I will always like to declare that Mafia 2 is very much optimized for the PC. It's not what some of us call a "console port" where graphical hiccups causes a hit in framerate or frustrating controls. The gun fights are pretty nifty too. There's a cover system in which you will use most extensively. There aren't many assortment of weapons in the game. Probably at most five? I can't remember. But trust me, that's the most a game like this will ever need.

Of course when you're doing all the nasty criminal work, you've to be wary of the law. The police will come after you for grand theft auto, running around with a firearm and even hit-and-run. There's a wanted system where you'll need to change your clothes or vehicle to elude capture. If you do get caught, you can bribe them and they'll look the other way. Depends on what your wanted level is though. Too high and they'll shoot on sight. If it's low enough, you'll get away with a fine. Also, I'm having difficulty naming another game that allows you to collect vintage Playboy magazines. I've collected one at the moment so I'm no Hugh Hefner. I guess going around the city hunting for pictures of bare-naked women can be seen as an incentive for some people.

Just not me.
  20. Jan 4, 2011
    This game is amazing, how many hours did they put into this? I guess the gameplay could be knocked a little, but on the whole it's fun and pretty tight. The graphics are where it's at, just mindblowing. Often found myself crashing into stuff, due to looking off at the scenery, good stuff.
  21. Mar 29, 2011
    Mafia 2 is solid gangster game with excelent graphic and animation. Personally i like it more than first mafia. If you play all the DLCs, the game gets even better.
  22. Apr 5, 2011
    This game cuts no corners in immersing you. Everything about the city - the music, the advertisements, the cars, and more - are all historically precise. The voice acting is incredible, the storyline is addicting, and the music combines familiar themes with a new modern twist to make this game play more like a Godfather movie than a simple third-person shooter. You will fall in love withThis game cuts no corners in immersing you. Everything about the city - the music, the advertisements, the cars, and more - are all historically precise. The voice acting is incredible, the storyline is addicting, and the music combines familiar themes with a new modern twist to make this game play more like a Godfather movie than a simple third-person shooter. You will fall in love with the characters from the moment you meet them. Almost every aspect of this game makes you feel like a true 50s mobster.
    That being said, there are some downsides to it. The combat is somewhat exciting, but it could use a little work - not to mention there could be more of it, and earlier on as well. The game boasts less than 10 hours of gameplay, a good chunk of which is spent doing mundane tasks like driving to your house or to a bar on the other side of the city. The story itself, thrilling as it is, has a letdown of an ending that makes you feel that the game can't possibly be done. The DLC for the game consists mostly of clothes and cars, which aren't very useful as there is practically nothing to do in free roam mode. Of course, there are a couple of campaigns out to extend the value of the game - if you can dish another 20 bucks out.
    All in all, it's got a great storyline, an AMAZING musical score, great characters and voiceacting, and great gameplay. On the flip side, it's short, incomplete, and there's really not much to do outside of the campaign. Any fan of the iconic 50's mafia should give this game a shot. Worth 30 bucks on Steam? I'd say, unless you're starving for cash. Of course, if you're lucky like me, you'll catch it on sale for 10 bucks.

Oh and one more note: There is a glitch on one of the chapters that may cause you to become stuck and have to replay a significant chunk of the game to (possibly) fix it. Hopefully they'll patch it soon.
  23. Aug 30, 2011
    Best story out of any game! nuff said
  24. Dec 29, 2011
    First up, I'd like to inform you that I am passionate about Mafia II. I like games with a story that makes me care about the characters involved and has me guessing what happens next, and Mafia II does that for me. Secondly, it looks surprisingly good on the highest graphical settings. Quite impressive. Thirdly.. Well.. I just want you to play it and fall in love with it. 2k Czech did aFirst up, I'd like to inform you that I am passionate about Mafia II. I like games with a story that makes me care about the characters involved and has me guessing what happens next, and Mafia II does that for me. Secondly, it looks surprisingly good on the highest graphical settings. Quite impressive. Thirdly.. Well.. I just want you to play it and fall in love with it. 2k Czech did a great job, and Mafia II feels like a labor of love. Expand
  25. Jan 8, 2012
    The atmosphere, the storyline... Mafia 2 is truly the game that will bring your mind back to the 40s and leave positive memories.

If you are into "criminal activities" and some shooting. Mafia 2 is a game for you.
  26. Nov 28, 2015
    Oh wow. I was blown away with how badass this game is. I would have given it a ten if it only lasted longer... Nonetheless worth getting. The graphics are amazing for its time, the story is the best story I have ever experienced. It is gripping and takes turns and draws you in. The city has a perfect vibe, and there are some wonderful vintage guns and cars to go along. I understand thisOh wow. I was blown away with how badass this game is. I would have given it a ten if it only lasted longer... Nonetheless worth getting. The graphics are amazing for its time, the story is the best story I have ever experienced. It is gripping and takes turns and draws you in. The city has a perfect vibe, and there are some wonderful vintage guns and cars to go along. I understand this game isn't for everybody, but if you like a good story get this game. Expand
  27. Aug 28, 2010
    I have been waiting for this game to happen for years now. And when it finally comes out, it falls short of the first game. Admittedly I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the game, but I started to notice a sense of repetition in the gameplay. It had it's ups and downs, but I at least expected a better ending; It didn't do justice to the predecessor's finale. I felt cheated that theI have been waiting for this game to happen for years now. And when it finally comes out, it falls short of the first game. Admittedly I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of the game, but I started to notice a sense of repetition in the gameplay. It had it's ups and downs, but I at least expected a better ending; It didn't do justice to the predecessor's finale. I felt cheated that the game was so short (finished it under 10 hours). To summarize, I really expected more from the game, but overall what I got was something above mediocre with some good bits here and there. Expand
  28. Dec 10, 2012
    One of the best open world game I've ever played! The plot is great, characters are not flat, have, each are other, graphic is still good and one of the biggest advantage of this game: soundtrack and climate! I love to play Mafia for these things. Sometimes I launch the game only for drive any car and listen to radio!
  29. Apr 19, 2012
    this game is as close you can get in the mob without joining in real
    life.and the dlcs like joe adventure
    and others thegame is great GET MAFIA 2 TODAY
  30. Apr 10, 2013
    I had big expectations when I bought this game.And now, after I finished it I can say it was worth every single penny I spent on it.The only bad part about this game was that it finished too fast.But if you haven't played it yet, go on and buy it!
  31. Jun 21, 2013
    Excellent game, great graphics, sound, acting, story and gameplay, open world a bit lacking when compared to GTA but you could say that about any semi-linear game.
  32. Jul 15, 2013
    Great gameplay, great story, great music, great environment, great vehicles, the only thing it lacked was things to do in the free roam world. There's hardly any interaction with non-story related characters, meaning there are no side missions. But with that being said I still easily put 20 hours of play time into the game, it's well worth the money.
  33. Aug 26, 2010
    Mafia II suffers from everything, that name 2K reminds me off - System Shock 2 fans disappointed with Bioshock, should know what's the word - simplicity! That's right - Mafia 2 is just too simple, when it supposed to be much more complicated - it's even more simple than the first game. All you do is, you take a care, you go to place marked on a map, you do what you're asked for and you goMafia II suffers from everything, that name 2K reminds me off - System Shock 2 fans disappointed with Bioshock, should know what's the word - simplicity! That's right - Mafia 2 is just too simple, when it supposed to be much more complicated - it's even more simple than the first game. All you do is, you take a care, you go to place marked on a map, you do what you're asked for and you go back home, you take a sleep, next chapter begins and a cycle starts over again. Fortunately, it's not all that bad - 2K Czech took care about a few gameplay twists, to the game isn't boring, while the whole "get to the point" thing helps to speed up the plot and somehow build a great atmosphere. Speaking of plot, it isn't better than in Mafia (1), but that doesn't stop it from being great and surprising player... although, I figured out some of a surprises in game long before, they happened (especially when it comes to Vito's father death). Also, players who played Mafia (1) will be pleasantly surprised here and there, seeing the referees to the first game (I almost cried in Chapter 14: Stairway to Heaven... I won't spoil it what it was, anyway who finished the first game, will notice it as soon as cutscene starts). Before, I get to the technical part, I must mention thought, that was haunting me through almost entire game and that is - "Give me, more freedom!". That's right, developers gave the players some ability to choose (for example who to get rid of cops, who to dress, what to change in car)... but when you watch cutscenes, you will quickly notice that there was supposed to be some choices in game - after watching the main part of dialogue there, the character usually ask "So, are you in?". You'd like to grab a mouse and choose the action, but unfortunately, you won't get that chance... too bad, because watching Vito wrong decisions is kind of annoying sometimes. When it comes to a technical part of Mafia - it's almost a masterpiece! The sounds are great! It's been a long time, since I've heard such a great sounds in video games and the graphics? Well, let's just say it's the best looking game, I've seen so far. The city is extremely highly detailed - I couldn't believed that the all that was rendered in real-time and ran over 30 frames per seconds on my already old PC. Better, a lot of elements of environment can be destroyed, metal that covers a car folds when you hit some obstacles and there is even a realistic snow that will cover parts of a car, not to mention scratches... with that said, the game's engine has a one major problem - it isn't very stable. It has a tendency to crash in some certain parts of game. The last thing, that I have to mention is that players will be disappointed after finishing the game (it took me about 8 hours on Hard difficulty, so it's not a long game)... why? Because there's nothing. All you get is "Family Album" and that's it. There's not Free Ride mode, nothing. You can only load a previous save and replay some episode - that's probably the biggest flaws of this game... but overall - it's a good sequel. Expand
  34. Sep 25, 2013
    More like a movie than a video game, Mafia II still has solid gameplay and good feel, with plenty of twists and turns in the game, but with Mafia II, they sacrificed a bit of freedom and open-world feel to make the story fresh and interesting with good gameplay.

Like many people reviewing, the first thing I have to say is that the game is short, without any extra depth to the side missions, so if you are buying this for the replay value, don't. The game may be fun, but after you complete the campaign, there is nothing left to do, hell, even during the game there are few options to do side-missions, and even then, the extra money can't be used for a whole lot, and because of a plot development, becomes useless. Additionally, auto-saving can be a bit of a pain in the ass, since it only autosaves before a big fight, rather than after mission objectives are completed, so if you crash, you're and have to replay several minutes of gameplay at least.

Despite this, I love this game, because the plot kept me hooked. I went into this game expecting GTA mafia edition, and came out feeling like I finished a good movie. Additionally, this game went with a balance leaning towards realism, albeit keeping game elements in. For instance, if you get into a fist-fight with a random bystander, the police won't run over to you and cap you for it, but rather they will tell you to break it up, and keep the fighting off the streets. If you are speeding, they will attempt to pursue, but if you go around a corner they pretty much stop caring. Likewise, if you steal a car, or kill someone, they could take down your description or license plate, so those would have to be changed too, either by a new outfit, or buying a license plate from a shady garage.

Overall, I loved this game, and wish there were more like it. Too many games sacrifice plot and MEANINGFUL gameplay for appealing to a wider audience. This might be the part where I'd say I would definitively play again, except I already have.
  35. Aug 25, 2010
    After a long wait for the sequel of the cult game Mafia, it has finally been released. Mafia 2 set you in the shoes of Vito Scaletta, a young boy that that is sent to the army....well you probably know the small details already, since this will probably not be the first review you will read.

I decided to put my review up here because this game has been getting some questionable scores from very known sites. I however see it in a different approach then these have. Actually it has been getting some false hate because most people have expected something that wasn`t really there, and was properly advertised in this way to. Mafia II is in fact a story game, with Empire Bay just as an extra asset. This isn`t you`re typical free roam game, simply because it really wasn`t designed as one either.

It heavily relies on the story, which is in fact really great put, though there could have been some better pacing at certain times. Some of the missions actually has some really great locations and good action packed is it also. All from simply lifting boxes in to a truck, to be telephone operator that steals jewelery, it goes away from the dated "go there and kill these people" and that was the mission. In fact, most of the missions is like this, but it hides it in such a good way that it really immerses you in every way possible. In this aspect, it shines more than I have seen in almost any game, if not the most of them all. Remember, this could have been just a game that didn`t actually have a city at all, but it`s still there. This was never a free roam game, the developers have stated this several times. Soundtrack in itself is simply put amazing. It fits the 40s and the 50s era perfect, even if some of the songs it not entirely accurate of the timeline. Voice acting is as strong as you can get in a video game, it really is believable and makes the characters more believable than there actions make them out to be. You feel sympathy with Vito and his situation, it is really close to perfection this area. In the end, if you can retract the fact that this is not a free roam game like GTA, you will have one of the best experiences this gen. 9.2
  36. Aug 27, 2010
    Good graphics and sounds, great optimization... If you`ve liked first part of mafia story, you must play the second... It is very easy to spot a bad sides of the game and did not spot the really good ones. This game is not a "sandbox" type, and clearly it is different from overrated "GTA IV" game (when we`re talking about game play), - it is not game for kids, it`s good action gameGood graphics and sounds, great optimization... If you`ve liked first part of mafia story, you must play the second... It is very easy to spot a bad sides of the game and did not spot the really good ones. This game is not a "sandbox" type, and clearly it is different from overrated "GTA IV" game (when we`re talking about game play), - it is not game for kids, it`s good action game with very good story... Because of few bigger "bugs", and because it is way to short, to completely feel all true spirit of the game, I`ll give it "strong" 8 out of 10. Expand
  37. Aug 29, 2010
    Good story, bad gameplay. That's it. It's like Metro2033 that had same problem. Mafia 2 is good as movie, but as game it's awful. Still, I suggest it's nice buy for fans and nostalgic gamers.
  38. Sep 4, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The story, the characters, the world, the graphics, the music were perfect for me, I really enjoyed all the time, I played Mafia II. It is true that maybe the car driving part was bigger than expected, but I also enjoyed these, because it was good to drive in an enviroment like this. Vito's character is good, but it cannot beat the first game's perfect Tommy Angelo. On the other hand Joe is one of the best side-kicks I ever seen in a game. The rest of the characters are very well made. In Mafia II, we have experienced the most special way to connect two game's stories, I really couldn't believe my eyes, when I arrived THAT house in Chapter 14. I really liked the idea of starting the game in the world war II. I think there is only one big problem with this game. I don't mind that it is short. I don't mind that most of the time I had to drive a car (what I really enjoyed, as I said before), but the ending of the game is terrible. I mean, the way the game ends, is not a real ending. Yeah, Joe has to die, and maybe Vito should die too, I am not saying this is a bad ending. The way the game ends is what I don't like. It isn't dramatic enough. Leo's last words meant to be dramatic, but they aren't. There isn't a "The End", or a Mafia II logo before the credits roll, and all this doesn't make a good ending. Normally I would give a 10 to this game, but with this ending I would say only 7 or 8. But... I think the story is intended to not to be closed down, and I think we will see DLCs in the future, which will continue the game's story. With this being said, I really trust in Mafia II's story being continued, and I am sure the developers can make such a good ending, that the first game has. This is why I give the game 9 points of 10... Expand
  39. Aug 5, 2013
    I got this game in a deal with bioshock infinite and honestly didn't expect much from it. Maybe that helped a lot, as this game provided me with an amazing experience. The atmosphere in this game is just so great, you really get the feeling you are in the past. Next to that the missions are fun and I liked the mafia story a lot. The ending was one of the best I've seen in a video game, itI got this game in a deal with bioshock infinite and honestly didn't expect much from it. Maybe that helped a lot, as this game provided me with an amazing experience. The atmosphere in this game is just so great, you really get the feeling you are in the past. Next to that the missions are fun and I liked the mafia story a lot. The ending was one of the best I've seen in a video game, it really makes you think about the tough world of the past. My only critique about the game is that there is not much to do after the story, but since the story was so good it's no big deal to me. So that's why I definitely recommend getting this game, just don't expect an open world game like GTA or Saints Row, as this one is far more story based. Expand
  40. Jul 24, 2012
    Awesome sequel of awesome game. Great graphics and story. If few parts little annoying but overall awesome worthy game! Atmosphere is also great specially with car music change as years and decades pass. Good work!
  41. Jun 22, 2013
    NO! ITS NOT A GTA! So what?? I love this game, great story, MUSIC, cars... basically the perfect 40-50's
    I've played it +100 hours (without the DLC's that I recently bought), passed the story like 4 times, and a hell lot of fun walking around with a Tommy Gun shoting stuff! +Awesome police chases.
    If it has problems?? Of course and so what? Every game has them, and it doesn't mean you won't have great experience!
    RECOMMENDED +10000
  42. Aug 30, 2010
    Mafia 2 is one of the most atmospheric games I have played. The cool cars, the city and great pick in music with good characters make this game extremely cool. But when you are looking at the big city and almost falling into that cool 50´s vibe my next thought was trough out the game was always "why didn´t they do that" It almost feels like someone pulled theMafia 2 is one of the most atmospheric games I have played. The cool cars, the city and great pick in music with good characters make this game extremely cool. But when you are looking at the big city and almost falling into that cool 50´s vibe my next thought was trough out the game was always "why didn´t they do that" It almost feels like someone pulled the plug on that one division that was supposed to give me the key to the city. It almost pisses me off knowing that so little has to be added to make this one of the all time greatest games made. I give this game a 8 but wished I was giving it a 10 Expand
  43. Sep 4, 2010
    I just love this game, the graphics are awesome. The theme is awesome. I just love the music that is played on the car radio. This 40's - 50's wiseguy thing is the best. I just wish people would still dress like they do on this game. There was no glitches for me, maybe because my game is a LEGAL VERSION. I love the way that they have made this game. The first time you play, you just runI just love this game, the graphics are awesome. The theme is awesome. I just love the music that is played on the car radio. This 40's - 50's wiseguy thing is the best. I just wish people would still dress like they do on this game. There was no glitches for me, maybe because my game is a LEGAL VERSION. I love the way that they have made this game. The first time you play, you just run through the missions. Next time you look for the hidden bonus stuff. Good thing is that they have real music from the era of this game, too bad they didn't license the car names. This should not be compared to GTA. If you want GTA, don't play this game. If you love trench coats and american-italian accents, you'll love this game. Expand
  44. Sep 6, 2010
    The best game i have ever played hands down, great story line, i absolutely loved the ending and it was a really good port for the PC which was surprising after ports like GTA 4 and Saints Row 2
  45. Vex
    Sep 7, 2012
    This game is great on a lot of levels, yet it falls short on others. Let's start off with the atmosphere: the game has superb voice acting, great artistic style and overall a high level of authenticity. When you're driving around Empire bay in the winter of 1945 listening to real 40s music on the radio, it makes for a very special experience - it really makes you feel like you're there.This game is great on a lot of levels, yet it falls short on others. Let's start off with the atmosphere: the game has superb voice acting, great artistic style and overall a high level of authenticity. When you're driving around Empire bay in the winter of 1945 listening to real 40s music on the radio, it makes for a very special experience - it really makes you feel like you're there. Everything from the street signs to the clothes people wear to the cars on the street has a very authentic ring to it. Some scenes, such as the skyscraper one are very memorable and amazing in their own right. Everything in this game was done right except for a few things:
    1. It's not possible to have interactive conversations with other characters. Everything is prerecorded and while it does make for a nice cinematic experience (and makes you feel like you're watching a great movie), it does sometimes make you feel like you're not fully in control.
    2. Empire bay is very authentic and amazing but you don't get to do a whole lot. Interaction with the environment is somewhat limited.
    3. Some chapters were written poorly. Out of 15 chapters, you spend the first 10 doing small time jobs and basically feeling like a small time street criminal vs. a real mafia member. The story is pretty slow to pick up, though once it does it's very good. I only wish the game made you feel like a real mafia member for the greater part of the game and not only the last 33%.

Otherwise, this game is amazing and plays like a good movie. Definitely worth it, even more so if you pick it up during a sale. You shouldn't have a problem getting 15 hours out of it assuming you're not trying to rush through it.
  46. Oct 3, 2012
    Mafia II is undoubtedly one of the best crime games. Game well because Graphics excellent, the plot is excellent, the game invested and good, the game very realistic and one example is that the police smarter, she'll want to check your identity card with a run and not hurt her, with a crash into a car or will go too fast you will conference with if you hit something you stop Drag andMafia II is undoubtedly one of the best crime games. Game well because Graphics excellent, the plot is excellent, the game invested and good, the game very realistic and one example is that the police smarter, she'll want to check your identity card with a run and not hurt her, with a crash into a car or will go too fast you will conference with if you hit something you stop Drag and weapons they fired you. The game is not perfect because the videos people look like dolls, short game and really you Walking about the city and the definition of "open world" is just a backdrop to the game itself. In sum game looks good but deepen it see it's not perfect Expand
  47. Mar 7, 2013
    It doesn't come even close to the original Mafia but it was still fun game with nice graphics. Story was movie like but it worked. Ending was very sad and disapointing at first but later realized that the ending was quite realistic. Tho some people think that there will be Mafia III that will continue from where Mafia II left off... I doubt that.
    What sucks is that it had no free roam and
    What sucks is that it had no free roam and almost nothing to do besides the quests. Driving was fun and AI was not as retarded as in GTA series. Sadly cars don't get deformed like they did in the first Mafia.
  48. Mar 25, 2013
    the story is epic but there are to much poeple you kill.
    the story is pretty short 11 hours and the replay is low.
    you can not move free like in gta so you need to play a chapter where you had good cars and money.
    its a small open world but fun its just a good game only they gut don hit much beter.
    the ending is pretty weird to.
    you must buy the dlc joe's adventure's
  49. Dec 20, 2013
    I played the Mac version, not PC, but couldn't find an option for it. :(

First few times I played, I liked it, but didn't find it anything special. Then, after a while without touching it, I decided to give it another chance. Well, that was a revelation. Taking this game serious, getting used to the controls and the way the game works has made me see it in a totally different light.
    I played the Mac version, not PC, but couldn't find an option for it. :(

First few times I played, I liked it, but didn't find it anything special.
    Then, after a while without touching it, I decided to give it another chance.
    Well, that was a revelation. Taking this game serious, getting used to the controls and the way the game works has made me see it in a totally different light. I've now finished two of the main campaigns and will start another soon.

Pros:
    Graphically very impressive
    The sound is great, too
    Combat is well thought out, with few problems (mainly the boring hand-to-hand combat)
    Driving is basically perfect
    The missions are varied and enticing
    The extra content is great (despite a dependency on timed missions)
    Huge arsenal at your disposal
    Going on a rampage is a great stress-reliever
    Huge city to explore

Cons:
    I can only see one the fact that, despite the city's magnificence, I was left wanting more places to go (and destroy). Most of the building are just there for cosmetic purposes. I wanted banks to rob, post offices to terrorise, a full stadium to go berserk (it's there, but you can't enter it), etc.
    As it stands, you have restaurants, gun shops, gas stations and cloth shops and nothing else (except on select missions).

Conclusion:
    Awesome game, that could be only improved by extending what's already there.
    Unfortunately, that doesn't seem likely, given the game's age and lack of any news about it...
  50. Jul 3, 2016
    I've rebeaten this game a few times and it says everything. You will experience very fun gameplay, you will definitely like both art and soundtrack, and the story will make you addictive. I'm looking forward to play Mafia III and am very hyped about it. If you haven't not played this game yet, I don't know who you are and why you're reading this short review instead of purchasing the game.
  51. Aug 24, 2010
    Beautiful and gritty game. Really sad that some of the only negative reviews are due to it NOT being GTA. The only comparison between this and gta is this is an open world game. Not every game in the world needs to live up or even try to be that game. My only problem were some of the mechanics: Inability to leap over covered objects, the cover system itself is slightly clunky, but thoseBeautiful and gritty game. Really sad that some of the only negative reviews are due to it NOT being GTA. The only comparison between this and gta is this is an open world game. Not every game in the world needs to live up or even try to be that game. My only problem were some of the mechanics: Inability to leap over covered objects, the cover system itself is slightly clunky, but those are minor in the grander scheme of this great story game. Expand
  52. Aug 29, 2010
    When I first saw the trailer for the game, I was simply amazed. I am a new fan to the first Mafia, and as soon as I played it, I was simply amazed. Like many games, this one still has its flaws, such as not having side quests/missions, because when I play an open world game I expect some side missions. But otherwise, this game is simply beautiful, and the cut scenes were fun to watch. TheWhen I first saw the trailer for the game, I was simply amazed. I am a new fan to the first Mafia, and as soon as I played it, I was simply amazed. Like many games, this one still has its flaws, such as not having side quests/missions, because when I play an open world game I expect some side missions. But otherwise, this game is simply beautiful, and the cut scenes were fun to watch. The city feels sorta empty, but it doesn't bother me. I do hate that the gun shops around the cities only have a Police .38 Revolver, a Colt 1911, or a shotgun. When I go to a gun shop I expect a Thompson Police Issue or something like that. But of course, you have to drive a mile to get to Harry who has more guns than the gun shops around the city combined, but of course the drive is worth it. The driving in this game is very realistic. If you're planning on trying to reach 120 MPH and expect to stop unharmed, you're wrong, he-he. I'm saddened by the length of this game. I beat it in about 10-11 hours, but of course this is longer than most games out in the market, but in Mafia 1 terms this is short. The collectibles in this game will want gamers want to replay the game just to find them, such as the playboys, wanted posters, etc, etc. I give this game a 9.2, for being a gritty, beautiful, and fun game that i'm sure anyone that loves the original Mafia game and the Godfather series will enjoy. Expand
  53. Aug 30, 2010
    Just for atmosphere alone, I rate this game 10. I cannot praise the immersiveness and evocativeness of the period recreation highly enough. Just driving around nighttime 1940s New-York style streets listening to old-time jazz, blues and other wartime music and seeing all the old-fashioned cars and the snow-covered streets is a wonderfully enjoyable treat, particularly on the PC versionJust for atmosphere alone, I rate this game 10. I cannot praise the immersiveness and evocativeness of the period recreation highly enough. Just driving around nighttime 1940s New-York style streets listening to old-time jazz, blues and other wartime music and seeing all the old-fashioned cars and the snow-covered streets is a wonderfully enjoyable treat, particularly on the PC version with its superlative, realistic graphics. It really gave me enormous joy and pleasure to just drive around listening to the radio whilst completing the early missions, I found the period setting superbly evocative, and the snowy nighttime setting of one of the missions and the music really evoked a lovely wistful feeling as I drove around, it really was very emotionally engaging indeed just from the visuals and music. The design of the city is very convincing, you see lots of realistic-looking streets and sights as you drive around, you almost feel you are watching a film, it's terrific. I loved it. Also the shooting is great in this game, the reaction of the enemies when you shoot them is very realistic, and the ragdoll physics are better and more realistic than in any other game I've seen. So I thoroughly enjoy the shooting also, I find it fun and immersive and satisfyingly convincing shooting the enemies. I rate this game very highly for these three reasons, the visuals, the music, and the shooting. Fantastic.

As to the story, well, I'm still near the beginning, but it's pretty good too. Get this game on the PC if you can. If you can't but think you would enjoy being transported to an atmosphere-laden 40s and 50s New York anyway, get it on console. I liked it. Try the demo anyway, but bear in mind the demo doesn't include the whole city, and is daytime-only.
  54. Sep 1, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Introduction

I was hovering on this forum, and i must say. Did you guys play the same game as me? Most people here said that, Mafia 2 is a good game? There was really nothing good about this game, and here is why:

Story

The story was pretty bad, even if you can call it a story. You mostly drive from your apartment to Joe to do some random events. And in no particle order, like burring someone in the ground after the prison chapter. And then some chapters later you distribution some smokes to people. That has nothing to do with any story. Or like all of the sudden, we going to talk about why your father died. I mean common, the story is completely random. So I must say, there is no story in this game.

Gameplay

The Gameplay mostly consist of get a car, go to someone (mostly Joe), drive him around a bit, go home and sleep and do it all over again. And at some points, you need to fight multiple enemies, that spawn mostly right around the corner. And that is the Gameplay of Mafia 2, nothing more nothing less.

At multiple points in the game, you are stripped down of your cash, guns and suits and after you finished that chapter you need to start earning everything back again. This I never saw in a game before, you work towards nothing. You lose it all every few chapters, so the multiple stores that are in the game are pointless. Because you just lose your guns, or you can find plenty in the missions. Also the game is mostly based on luck, multiple scenes will kill you right away. Like the getaway scene were they are firing Tommy Guns at you. You just need some luck to get past the first corner, this has absolutely nothing to do with experience or strategy just pure luck. Conclusion

So my conclusion is that I never have seen a worst sequel to a game then Mafia 2. The game is boring, from the first minutes you played it, till the bitter end. Plenty of times you need to drive from one end of the town to the other end and then go back again. Were you did nothing at all, then picking someone up and driving them to a different point again.

Also at the end Joe almost turned against you. If they did that, they would have been promoted to the worst game of the Century. But now, it is the worst game of the year. Because it does not make any senses for him to turn against you. I only finished this game on Hard, because I did not wanted to waste my 50 bucks on nothing. Pity that I got it from Steam, because I would have gone back to the shop and trade it for something else. Even a bloody WII game, is better than this piece of crap.
  55. Oct 8, 2010
    When I first played the original Mafia game on Xbox back in the early 2000's I was amazed how good the quality of game play was and the extent of game play was outstanding. When I heard about Mafia II I jumped for joy, I cannot say one bad thing about it, It is full of action and adventure and is very entertaining right to the end. The game is set from 1943 to 1955 in Empire Bay, aWhen I first played the original Mafia game on Xbox back in the early 2000's I was amazed how good the quality of game play was and the extent of game play was outstanding. When I heard about Mafia II I jumped for joy, I cannot say one bad thing about it, It is full of action and adventure and is very entertaining right to the end. The game is set from 1943 to 1955 in Empire Bay, a fictional city based on New York city and Detroit. You follow the life of a War Hero named Vito Scaletta getting back on his feet in a life of crime after he came back from World War II. Just to get it out of the way no this game is not Grand Theft Auto in the 40-50's, it is alot better and more involved than GTA is and always will be. There are no limits on the map from the second the game boots up, you can go anywhere and do anything, lots of cars from the era and weapons to match. This game is defiantly worth picking up buying or renting, It's alot of fun and worth you money. Expand
  56. Sep 4, 2010
    At first I found this game even better then GTA 4. Better PC optimisation, very smooth graphic, nice characters animation. Comparison of GTA 4 and Mafia 2 as compared to those of your children better looking, terribly hard to say this.
  57. Aug 27, 2012
    Not bad game played it on xbox it was good i only thought what it will be like on pc but finding out it was much better i got into game so much that even fighting enemy driving bit sluggish but not bad
  58. May 5, 2015
    A very nice game with a great story, although Vito is not as charismatic as Tommy Angelo (from the first Mafia). The game is a rather linear affair, but the atmosphere created by the cinematic cutscenes and the detailed rendition of the city is top notch. The missions are elaborate and varied.
  59. Jul 29, 2013
    Mafia 2 is a good game that everyone will love the best thing about this game is the story it's really good and it has a nice atmosphere the driving section are nice great characters and descent game play but my problem with the game is that 80 of the game is just driving am not saying that it was bad but somehow after a while it felt a bit repetitive they needed to put more missionsMafia 2 is a good game that everyone will love the best thing about this game is the story it's really good and it has a nice atmosphere the driving section are nice great characters and descent game play but my problem with the game is that 80 of the game is just driving am not saying that it was bad but somehow after a while it felt a bit repetitive they needed to put more missions in the game other than driving section but still it is a good game Expand
  60. Aug 27, 2013
    Excellent atmosphere. Good story. Nice cars (but I wish I could drive with mouse and see left just before turning). The city is beautiful, well thought and nice to look at. Car radio is excellent. And the city feels *real*.

Unfortunately, there is not much to do beyond a 20 hour long story or between missions. Most shops are just decorations: you can't buy anything nor run them. You can't fight for turf. There're almost no persistent NPCs: you can' establish relationships, do favours or maintain reputation. Same old pertual status quo. You *have to* steal cars (no buying nor public transit). There are taxis, buses and metro, but you can't use them (I could in Mafia-1!). There're beautiful buildings, but you can't explore (enter or climb) most of them. Contrary to what many players say, the police is very forgiving to your driving. Robbery and car stealing are too easy and not entertaining enough once you learn how to do it. Collectibles is just one big stupid idea.

DLCs are rather boring. Same tasks again and again. Textual briefing. Absolutely no innovation with respect to the main game. I'd have payed for an expansion pack with new gameplay features, but few yeas later after the release there is no such thing.

The setting of the american 50s and visual design make the game much more appealing to me than GTA series or Sleeping Dogs. Unfortunately, it's a very short and incomplete game for such a beautifully designed sandbox city.
  61. Oct 10, 2013
    The game is much like GTA which is in no way a bad thing, it made me more of a fan of the 1950's and how it was. The storyline was very unpreadictable and caught me off guard at every mission. The missions seem to make more sense than other games and I got very attached to the characters. Its a time consuming game which is always a good thing but not too long. It plays well, looks niceThe game is much like GTA which is in no way a bad thing, it made me more of a fan of the 1950's and how it was. The storyline was very unpreadictable and caught me off guard at every mission. The missions seem to make more sense than other games and I got very attached to the characters. Its a time consuming game which is always a good thing but not too long. It plays well, looks nice and is very realistic. Expand
  62. Nov 7, 2013
    This was the first game, to make me feel emotion for the characters. So many games try to capture your emotion and make you feel for the character. This game is just, I can't explain it. Lets start with the story, this will contain SPOILERS. You start out as a war vet and turn into the murderer that completely turned a city upside down with his buddy Joe. I felt feeling when SPOILER JoeThis was the first game, to make me feel emotion for the characters. So many games try to capture your emotion and make you feel for the character. This game is just, I can't explain it. Lets start with the story, this will contain SPOILERS. You start out as a war vet and turn into the murderer that completely turned a city upside down with his buddy Joe. I felt feeling when SPOILER Joe was sent off at the end and Henry was stabbed to death. I felt anger and sadness for them, it really affected me. But other than that now. It's an open world-linear game. What you say? That's right, you start the day and start out your mission, however your not forced to your goal and can free roam. It's a little like GTA in a way. It's fun to play the game, many cars to collect. things to see, and stuff to do. I liked the enjoyed the story line and it was a fun game to play. With it's story, characters, game play mechanics, it was an over all great game. But it didn't come close to perfection. There were still some parts that just didn't feel right. Many of you probably got this for free at the Golden Joystick awards and I encourage you to play it! Some parts of the game just felt strange and unfinished, there were many annoying things like parts in the story line where you loose your home, weapons, and money. However, that adds stuff to the plot. Over all I loved the game, but it's not perfect, and could use much improving. Expand
  63. Aug 30, 2010
    Mafia II is The Newest "Open World" GTA Type game out but many people are complaining about there not being any side missions. I think it keeps the game glued to the storyline without the need to pick up girlfriends etc.. does not ruin it at all. The graphics are equal to if not better than Gta 4 just check out the facial modeling. You can still steal cars, fight people, Blow up cars andMafia II is The Newest "Open World" GTA Type game out but many people are complaining about there not being any side missions. I think it keeps the game glued to the storyline without the need to pick up girlfriends etc.. does not ruin it at all. The graphics are equal to if not better than Gta 4 just check out the facial modeling. You can still steal cars, fight people, Blow up cars and adds elements such as choosing from a list of foods and animates your character eating that food. pretty cool. if your low on health you can eat/drink to replenish it. The physics also is very well done. many people may not enjoy the 1940's music but its in the 1940's so live with it. no gangsta rap here move on. Mafia II Story is very well done and although not perfect does deserve and 8/10 Score. Expand
  64. Aug 30, 2010
    Mafia II refuses to follow the crowd of open-world games by putting authenticity at the head of its agenda instead of sheer scale and off-the-hook action. Empire Bay is a fantastic embodiment of the 1940s/'50s; really sharp cinematography and mostly solid voice acting; well-built experience with a handful of notable moments. Most exciting moments in game are seen and not played;Mafia II refuses to follow the crowd of open-world games by putting authenticity at the head of its agenda instead of sheer scale and off-the-hook action. Empire Bay is a fantastic embodiment of the 1940s/'50s; really sharp cinematography and mostly solid voice acting; well-built experience with a handful of notable moments. Most exciting moments in game are seen and not played; superficial narrative fails to explore briefly mentioned themes; streamlined campaign lacks side missions or exploration.
    A must for any godfather or other mafia games

Game duration 8 -10 hours depending how slow/fast you play
  65. Oct 21, 2013
    It's like Grand Theft Auto but you're really tied to the story, and that's not a bad thing. The story is nice, and the voice acting is great. Awesome game.
  66. Aug 30, 2010
    Mafia had been in the development for what, 3-4 years, i think. and after 4 years you hope that the game will deliver. you hope that it will be a fantastic game. well, mafia 2 is and in the other hand it isnt.
    first the good things: story (one of the best stories) graphics are very good. the number of cars and how each car feels different. gunplay and hand to hand combat, characters are very well written. the soundtrack-oh my god.
    the bad: not much to do in a big open world. no side missions
    if there had been side missions and the world was filled with places of intereset where you could go after a tireing mission and play darts or smth, it would have been the best game that had come out this year. but...
    my point of view-- if you want a game with a very good story mafia 2 is a must buy. but you would be better of renting one. 8 out of 10.
  67. Oct 10, 2013
  68. Sep 21, 2010
    Mafia 2 is fantastic. The game has so much atmosphere, that it is difficult to not constantly stop whatever you are doing in the game to observe the surroundings. The city is living and especially its winter period is filled with atmosphere. It made me think it was cold outside my window in real life a few times.. The story is great, although not the most original. The voice acting isMafia 2 is fantastic. The game has so much atmosphere, that it is difficult to not constantly stop whatever you are doing in the game to observe the surroundings. The city is living and especially its winter period is filled with atmosphere. It made me think it was cold outside my window in real life a few times.. The story is great, although not the most original. The voice acting is professional, filled with humour and Italian accents. This was definetly worth waiting many years for. If I could get a few wishes granted, it would be for the game to be longer, and for the cops to be meaner. Comparing to the first Mafia game, you actually felt you were in trouble if cops started chasing you. It seems much easier to run away from them in Mafia 2: all you do is drive as fast as you can. I wish this could be something that can be adjusted in the game's difficulty level. However, these are just minor issues. Mafia 2 in my opinion is a living, beautiful, atmospheric game with great music, awesome old school cars, and entertaining combat. Expand
  69. Dec 17, 2014
    Top Notch story and game play! The story is better than most movies in a similar theme. The length of the story is very well done. Being able to see the world through 1940s , 50s, 60s is a real treat.

Highly recommended if you like mafia / shooters with a great story.
    Popcorn worthy!
  70. Dec 1, 2015
    Mafia 2 is a great, story-driven action game which offers great cut scenes and a believable game world.
    . .
  71. Oct 21, 2016
    The best game of my 25 years life. But don't play Mafia III. If you cleared mafia 2, stop right there. You must be super disappointed with Mafia 3. It's terrible game in everyway(especially story is bored)
  72. Dec 20, 2016
    Este juego fue buenísimo, disfruté todo de él. Su historia es muy buena y muy enredada, su final te deja con la boca abierta.
    Sus personajes me cayeron muy bien y la crudeza con la que se muestran ciertas cosas fue bien recibida.
    Este juego tiene cientos de detalles cuidados que se degustan suave y dulcemente.
    Sin lugar a dudas, un gran juego.
  73. Sep 27, 2012
    Mafia 2 is a great game, with unique atmosphere of USA city in 50's. This is achieved by excellent soundtrack, movie-style feeling and great graphic and realistic adaptation of historical surrounding and vehicles. This game is also based mostly on its story, which also contribute to movie-style feeling, however, the story "end" is little dissapoiting in this way.
  74. Mar 20, 2011
    Great engrossing game, keeps you captivated, only con's are the game was too short, not enough side missions to keep you intrigued, freedom of movement limited, gameplay a little too linear for my liking.
  75. Mar 25, 2011
    Gameplay - 75 , Graphics - 85 , Story - 90 , Playing time - 15~20 hours. If you like games with good story, this is for you. However, the ending is a bit disappointing.
  76. May 6, 2011
    I loved this game. The story alone is awesome. Not sure what people are expecting but if you want to be submersed in a different time period and really get a sense of what it is like, this is the game for you. If you don't want to be annoyed by repetitive non story oriented missions, this is the game for you. I love gaming and and can't really short the game because of the length asI loved this game. The story alone is awesome. Not sure what people are expecting but if you want to be submersed in a different time period and really get a sense of what it is like, this is the game for you. If you don't want to be annoyed by repetitive non story oriented missions, this is the game for you. I love gaming and and can't really short the game because of the length as others have. I am a casual gamer and it took me 18 hours to finish. It was like a good book I didn't want to end. Some peeps compare it to GTA... GTA meh.. still haven't finished that game.. painful... Anyways I hope there is a part 3 !

L8r,
    HF
  77. May 9, 2011
    Good game. One of a kind. Unfortunately, no such effect on the passage of both the first part. But it's the only game of the mafia that can be played.
  78. Jun 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good graphics and sounds, great optimization... If you`ve liked first part of mafia story, you must play the second... It is very easy to spot a bad sides of the game and did not spot the really good ones. This game is not a "sandbox" type, and clearly it is different from overrated "GTA IV" game (when we`re talking about game play), - it is not game for kids, it`s good action game with very good story... Because of few bigger "bugs", and because it is way to short, to completely feel all true spirit of the game, I`ll give it "strong" 8 out of 10. Expand
  79. Mar 11, 2012
    Mafia II is an action packed, thriller of a game. It has all the necessary twists and turns as a game in this genre should, it has a cool storyline which people should not compare to GTA as it is a different sort of game in it's own way. I is impossible to see why Mafia II got a lower Metascore than Mafia I as in my opinion, it is such an improvement. Mafia II blows any game of it's sortMafia II is an action packed, thriller of a game. It has all the necessary twists and turns as a game in this genre should, it has a cool storyline which people should not compare to GTA as it is a different sort of game in it's own way. I is impossible to see why Mafia II got a lower Metascore than Mafia I as in my opinion, it is such an improvement. Mafia II blows any game of it's sort out of the water, and is a must buy for any PC PS3 or XBox 360 gamer. Expand
  80. Apr 11, 2012
    I enjoyed most of the game. It is a gritty game with an enjoyable storyline. You follow Vito Scaletta, a war hero. Vito chose to become a soldier rather than go to prison, and so we start fighting as part of a three man team in a town during Operation Husky. Upon completion of the mission, Vito has his first real contact with the Mafia, as Don Carlo attempts to persuade the Axis troops toI enjoyed most of the game. It is a gritty game with an enjoyable storyline. You follow Vito Scaletta, a war hero. Vito chose to become a soldier rather than go to prison, and so we start fighting as part of a three man team in a town during Operation Husky. Upon completion of the mission, Vito has his first real contact with the Mafia, as Don Carlo attempts to persuade the Axis troops to surender to the Americans. 2 Years later, Vito arrives back at Empire Bay, where he begins his life in the Mafia. Mafia was an interesting game. I enjoyed the extensive collection of 40's and 50's music (my favourite era of music) and the authentic weapons for its era. I also enjoyed driving the cars around, and with a speed authentic to the times (40's cars drive annoyingly slow, while the cars from the 50's are more supercharged). I also enjoyed just the general authenticity- it made me feel like i'm travelling around a city in America in the 1950's. The downsides however are unfortunately quite numerable. Firstly, I was quite annoyed there was no melee weapons. Although they are seen at points during the 1950's part of the game, I was annoyed that i couldn't use any of them. Also, i believed that there was not as many weapons in the game. I would of enjoyed a larger array of weapons, such as the BAR, a larger slection of Rifles and maybe even an STG44. A few Russian weapons would of been nice also. I also didn't enjoy the size and depth of the storyline. I found that it was a nice touch that Vito went to prison, but i would of liked to have seen more emphasis on working for the Mafia and being able to see the inner sanctum of the Mafia. The end was also somewhat of a disappointment, although at the same time it left me hungry for more. I cannot wait for Mafia 3 to come out, but I hope they roll out the kinks in the game but still retain that authentic feel. Overall, its a good, solid game. I cannot give it a perfect score, however i can still say i thouroughly enjoyed it, and i hope to see more in the future Expand
  81. Aug 3, 2012
    Mafia 2 is more than just a game, this is the real Mafia adventure! It can be safely put next to a series of Godfather movies! Once you sit down and you do not come off until the very end, this is not even a story about tough mafia, and the two dream of Fool money, cars, women ... But in fact they are common sixes!
  82. Oct 30, 2012
    This is the definitive version to pick up. If you're playing this on the PS3 or 360, you're screwed. Mafia is all started on the PC before the consoles ever come out. Well, I am disappointed with the console versions. Slow loading times and not as great as on the PC. Yeah, I know it's short, but at least you'll get some chances on Joe's Adventures. It's that one DLC missing, but that'sThis is the definitive version to pick up. If you're playing this on the PS3 or 360, you're screwed. Mafia is all started on the PC before the consoles ever come out. Well, I am disappointed with the console versions. Slow loading times and not as great as on the PC. Yeah, I know it's short, but at least you'll get some chances on Joe's Adventures. It's that one DLC missing, but that's only on the consoles now here while in other countries, the PC has it as well. Expand
  83. Sep 1, 2014
    Nice plot and really good characters!
    The setting is simply wonderfull.
    But there are some problems: 1) pretty high hardware requirement 2)there' aren't secondary missions 3)the open word isn't exploit at all (there isn't a lot to do) 4) the plot is short (14-15hours of gaming) 5)the behavior of pedestrians But fortunately gameplay, setting and characters are so good that i loved
    Nice plot and really good characters!
    The setting is simply wonderfull.
    But there are some problems:
    1) pretty high hardware requirement
    2)there' aren't secondary missions
    3)the open word isn't exploit at all (there isn't a lot to do)
    4) the plot is short (14-15hours of gaming)
    5)the behavior of pedestrians

But fortunately gameplay, setting and characters are so good that i loved playing it.
  84. Dec 4, 2012
    A game with connotation contents always makes me feel good.The designs of it is excellent but it have some defects such as no freedom in the huge city,the waste of time on driving again and again,except that it can be a 10 score one.
  85. Feb 12, 2013
    great game, with great expansion into the way Nvidia physX works. of course, you need a nvidia card to get most out of it. story is pretty solid, but overall not many memorable moments i can think of. controls are solid, but i wish it has some QTE in there. imagine, if they make this like 'Yakuza the game' or shenmue...
  86. Jun 24, 2014
    Muy buen Juego!! Si te gustan los juegos tipo sandbox, de disparar y demás te gustará MAFIA II.
    Los gráficos, para ser de hace unos años, son bastante buenos, además de que puedes usar SweetFX para mejorarlos.
    Puntos positivos: + Gráficos + Historia + Personajes + Armas Puntos negativos: - No tiene tanta libertad entre misiones como GTA o títulos similares (tal vez es un poco

Puntos positivos:
    + Gráficos
    + Historia
    + Personajes
    + Armas

Puntos negativos:
    - No tiene tanta libertad entre misiones como GTA o títulos similares (tal vez es un poco lineal en ese aspecto).
    - Es posible que se hagan un poco repetitivas algunas misiones. Lleva esto aquí, mata a este, haz esto, etc.

8.5/10
  87. Mar 17, 2013
    Its simply awesome game but little short without DLC. But if u have all dlc u can play much longer and have more funny. Reccomend game all mafia fans
  88. Rem
    Jul 7, 2015
    Stepping into the shoes of Vito Scaletta, the main protagonist of Mafia 2, players witness the brevity of the lives of those who turn to the life of a mobster. Each of the fifteen chapters in this game , while not excellently paced, provide some of the most vicious and sharp writing in a game, much of it inspired by the Goodfellas and the two Godfather films. Each character has depth toStepping into the shoes of Vito Scaletta, the main protagonist of Mafia 2, players witness the brevity of the lives of those who turn to the life of a mobster. Each of the fifteen chapters in this game , while not excellently paced, provide some of the most vicious and sharp writing in a game, much of it inspired by the Goodfellas and the two Godfather films. Each character has depth to them, and the rather brutal and downright melancholic nature of the story and the twists it takes is so meaty and gripping that it becomes impossible to touch the game again, for fear of ruining the good memories I had with the game. Also the lack of touching the game came as a result of there being no incentive to return the game because of the emptiness of its world. Barring the name of an open world game is kind of a shame since the city of Empire Bay is so beautifully crafted that it becomes frustrating that there is nothing other to do than rob stores and collect posters and playboy magazines. Other than that, Mafia 2 respects the time period for which it is set in, and the shooting, driving, and stealth mechanics work well enough in conjunction with the story elements. Calling it a GTA clone would be misleading, but there is no denying that the cruel life of Vito Scaletta is one for the books. Expand
  89. Aug 21, 2014
    This game tells you an amazing story while it gives you the ability to play open world. Doing weird stuff while doing your missions. i have been roaming the city after i ended the game just to upgrade cars and look at the beautiful cities. while this game might not be for everyone. i would recommend it to everyone whom wants to play a good mafia like game. Really worth the 10 euros i gaveThis game tells you an amazing story while it gives you the ability to play open world. Doing weird stuff while doing your missions. i have been roaming the city after i ended the game just to upgrade cars and look at the beautiful cities. while this game might not be for everyone. i would recommend it to everyone whom wants to play a good mafia like game. Really worth the 10 euros i gave for this game! Expand
  90. Sep 1, 2014
    Positives:
    +Storyline: although linear, it was interesting and immersing, with all the Mafia clishés (meant in a positive way), could have been longer
    +Graphics: for me an unimportant choice, but of course still a plus. Very nice +overall feel: the music, the cars, the people etc... Very nice 40's/50's feeling. +Characters: Also a great plus. For the short story very deep characters.
    Positives:
    +Graphics: for me an unimportant choice, but of course still a plus. Very nice
    +Characters: Also a great plus. For the short story very deep characters.
    +controls: easy to pick up on, no problem at all.
    +the cutscenes were amazing
    Negatives:
    -as said: could have been longer
    -VERY open ending. Either made up for in "Mafia 3". If left like this a little disappointing
  91. Jul 6, 2016
    Gameplay : 8
    Graphics : 8
    Story : 8
    Sound : 8
    Overall : 8
  92. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is amazing, the story is good, the characters are well constructed,but it's not the best game.
    The story is pretty short and the game play goes from hard to easy to hard again.
    The plot is very interesting but i was left with some questions even after the game ended You are in an open world,but in the sam e time you aren't. You can save only at certain points and some of
    You are in an open world,but in the sam e time you aren't.
    You can save only at certain points and some of the checkpoints are to far away one from each other
  93. Aug 25, 2014
    Graphic: awesome
    Music: awesome
    Story: awesome
    Gameplay: awesome

This game is just perfect! I cant wait for Mafia 3! City looks very good. There is a lot of details put in this game. Cars looks wonderful. Missions are really good. Gameplay is much better than GTA. 10 from me!
  94. Feb 19, 2014
    One of my favorite games ever!
    This setting is really amazing and original. The storyline is great and feels really life-like.
    The characters could have been from some real story, and the level of depth in the environment is very nice.
  95. Sep 12, 2014
    One of my all-time favourite games. Great story and immersion, love the setting. Graphics are four years old now, but still look great (except from some facial animations, maybe). Game-play is very good, although i would like to blind-fire and move from cover to cover. All in all, a great action game and a wonderful gangster drama.
  96. Oct 18, 2014
    This is not really an open world game but it's a great game in terms of story-driven FPS action adventure, the plot and characters are fascinating (tho I like the first game more) and the graphic is nice enough even in 2014, there's even a mission near the end that takes you way back into the first game's story which is a real surprise to me, well done 2K games.
    I like the driving very
    I like the driving very much for the clumsy acceleration and bumpy suspension, you even get scores for drifting or sliding in the air, the combat is straight FPS with a some melee and stealth, it's not difficult yet not repetitive, all in all a well-balanced adventure that sucks you into a gangster's life.
    (I finish this game in a weekend...can't get myself out of this game XD)
  97. Feb 9, 2014
    This is a really good game, I play it all the time. It has amazing graphics, wonderful story line which makes you really attached to the characters! You can really feel like your Vito in the game. The reason I gave this game a 9 rating is because of the reason that you can't shoot while you are driving a car, and the playboy pictures that you collect are rather useless and don't make muchThis is a really good game, I play it all the time. It has amazing graphics, wonderful story line which makes you really attached to the characters! You can really feel like your Vito in the game. The reason I gave this game a 9 rating is because of the reason that you can't shoot while you are driving a car, and the playboy pictures that you collect are rather useless and don't make much sense. Other than those two things, this game is very authentic and makes you wanting to play it over and over again. I recommend this game to all of my friends and to anyone who is thinking about buying this game... Buy it because I really don't think you'll regret it! Expand
  98. Aug 7, 2017
    Mafia II game does an excellent job of immersing you into the 40s-50s era and the great story coupled with some amazing voice acting behind very likeable characters really makes you feel you're inside a good gangster movie.

Driving through the beautiful scenery and shooting up the people who stand in your way is really enjoyable. What I felt was lacking is some freedom and time to take in the world around you. You don't get any chance to enjoy and spend all the money you earn because by the time you get them they get taken away as the story rushes you to the next chapter.

Overall an enjoyable experience.
  99. Oct 6, 2015
    Great period details make this game an unique experience.
    Nnd nice immersive, atmospheric experience from environments (both interior and exterior have nice period touches, like you are there).
    I loved driving around listening to period music and relevant news and commercial - the most. Nice way to learn classic songs and to love them Some people found this part dull though. Other
    Great period details make this game an unique experience.

Nice way to learn classic songs and to love them
    Some people found this part dull though.

Other than driving (between missions or chases) there is also shooting, fighting and stealth.

Shooting is coverbased, a bit simplified like a shooting gallery. It does resemble a gangster shoot out, but it's not too fun or challenging.

Stealth is not really free roam. There are just some segments with easy obvious implied stealth, so it doesn't feel to rewarding but it get's the job done. Most of the time you can't stealth, you just kill huge numbers of minion mobsters.

Fighting is minimalistic with few mouse clicks, and also passable.

Story has the usual mafia cliches. It may work if you haven't watched many such films, but I have so it's nothing special.

All in all it's a pretty, detailed and atmospheric game even in 2015, but the gameplay and story aren't too exciting for me. Worth a run, mostly for the virtual world built.
  100. Oct 12, 2016
    After the disappointment that was Mafia III I decided to replay Mafia II 6 years on from the first time I played it and I had forgotten just how polished it was for the time, and even now it holds up incredibly well.

The story is great and is pushed along nicely by some incredible voice work and a very capable script. You become attached to the characters on screen and the main cast all have their own personalities and quirks which helps make them feel more real.

Gameplay wise it's solid but simple, there's a basic cover system and a fighting mechanic which lets you punch the *bleep* out of your foes, sadly there are no melee weapons though which would have been great. The enemy AI for the most part are very smart and will often cover each other and try to flank you, sometimes they're even a little too quick off the draw as they come flying around a corner and instantly blow your head clean off, this is an area where Mafia II greatly surpasses the much newer Mafia III where enemies seem more than happy to stand around while you butcher their friends. You'll spend a lot of time driving your car and you have the option to play with simulation or arcade controls, personally I preferred arcade. Regardless as to which you pick cars handle well and the driving portion of the game feels more than fine.

Another huge plus is the audio which is just fantastic, I've already commented on the voice work which is superb but the game also has a massive library of music from the era which really makes long car rides more enjoyable as you tap your foot along to the tunes.

Visually it's still very nice 6 years later, it completely holds up and honestly looks better than some games that released much later, and you'll have no trouble hitting a solid 60fps on modern hardware as well so gameplay feels smooth and responsive at all times.

There are a couple of niggles though, one being the lack of unique character models for lesser characters, when you get to a certain part of the game this becomes highly noticeable when everyone of the same race has the exact same model, it's very jarring, I wonder how long it would have taken to add some beards or something just to make them a little different. Another, more annoying issue is the extremely harsh checkpoint system, dying for any reason can mean some lengthy backtracking and it really did frustrate me at times, you can't manually save so you're at the mercy of the game and you're going to die even on medium difficulty so I'm sure most people will experience some frustrating due to this during their first playthrough.

Overall I highly enjoyed Mafia II (again) and I recommend it to anyone, especially when it's on sale which it regularly is for £4.99. The DLC is not worth it, though.

1. Jan 12, 2011
    The combination of the ancient control mechanics, odd pacing and lack of real world entertainment drag the game down and seriously decreased my enjoyment of Mafia II. Still, it's worth a playthrough if you just adore mafia games and have a solid PC build to take it on.
  2. Dec 20, 2010
    I walked into my experience of Mafia II with no real expectations other than hearing my colleague's praise. What I walked away with after playing through the story was a sense of awe and amazement that I haven't had since Alan Wake.
  3. PC Format
    Dec 20, 2010
    A well-rendered world, with a well-realised story, though without as much actual gaming as we'd hoped there'd be. [Issue#244, p.81]