9.0

1. Oct 11, 2012
    Let's be honest, this is a seriously overrated game. Nobody wants to admit it, but it's pretty weak. The only thing it's got going for it is the graphics, which were incredible for the time. But the gameplay just isn't fun, the driving physics are awful, the fact that you have to drive everywhere is boring as hell, it's mercilessly hard and full of bugs. I usually always finish a game, but I had to give up. That racing car mission was a nightmare, and that church level? Despite the hilarious bugs of seeing a fat guy crawling through the air, it was simply terrible. It's not that I don't enjoy a challenge, it's that I can't stand having to do the same thing thirty-odd times because of poor game design.

And people still jump at the chance to praise the story, and all I can say is... what story? It's just a load of stereotypical, annoying and generic 'gangster'-style missions and scenarios strung together by some pretty poor voice acting.

This game is nothing short of a total pain that hasn't aged well at all. But thankfully, the sequel fixes many of these problems and is a very enjoyable game. I'd recommend Mafia II, but this one? I'd avoid.
  2. Jan 2, 2012
    Awful game. Getting pulled over for speeding at 40mph is just irritating as hell. A lot of missions are impossible because you die way too easily and you don't have enough ammo. This game was just a god awful experience and I quit playing it after a few missions. Just terrible all around.
  3. Mar 12, 2012
    Doesn't show you know where to go. Slowest cars I've ever seen. I spent more time trying to find the excat spot to stop those "bikes" (yes that's right. cars are powered by padels judging by speed) to reach or to advance the story. I never had any problems playing Mafia 2 so I see why this is interier. And it is way interier than GTA. 5 missions into Mafia and I'm still frustriated.
  4. Mar 17, 2012
    Pretty good tutorial, but that's about it. The AI likes to get hit by cars making you lose the level. The cars are extremely slow and even struggle to get up bridges and if you damage the car enough forget about driving up the bridge, you're walking. Shame, because most of the missions involve driving.
  5. May 25, 2012
    THE DEVELOPERS LIED. THIS IS NOT A SANDBOX GAME AT ALL.
    DO NOT CONFUSE THIS GAME WITH THE GODFATHER EITHER.
    Godfather is a sandbox/GTA type game. This is like riding a car on the rails. Sure you can drive anywhere, but there's nothing really to do, plus the driving itself is about as awful as it gets.
    The game feels clunky in every aspect, and the driving is more tedious then fun. Decent
    graphics, and storyline though. Biggest failing is no quick save feature. Expand
  6. Sep 19, 2012
    I registered into metacritic only to tell you how awful this game is. It's buggy as h*ll, the gameplay is sh*t and most of the game is driving long distances with slow cars. AND THE DRIVING ITSELF IS THE MOST HORRIBLE THING IN THIS GAME AND 90% OF GAMEPLAY TIME YOU JUST DRIVE!!! I hate this game. Cops are only to annoy you: they don't care if gangsters shoot at you or break the speed limit, but if you even have a gun in your hand or drive over 40mph, they're after you. You can pull over and let the officer write you a fine, takes about 30secs extra, or just keep driving, which causes the cops want to arrest you. If they get you arrested, the game is over and you have to load from a checkpoint (and then you have to drive AGAIN THAT SAME ROUTE). There are no quick saves and there are few checkpoints per mission. Missions are annoying to complish and slow tempo. The only thing that is good, is some parts of the story. This unrealistic, annoying piece of s*it was waste of 5 euros. Yes, even L.A. Noire is hundreds of times better than this. Expand
  7. Jun 15, 2013
    The opposite of fun. Most of the missions are driving missions drive from point A to point B broken up by somewhat lengthy dialogue cutscenes.

The story seems interesting, but the game is just too damn boring. Maybe if the driving was a little more exciting, it wouldn't be so bad, but this is set in the 30s and the developers really want you to feel like you're in that time period, so
    most cars are a pain to drive (some topping out at 40mph), and the city itself is a pain to navigate.

The combat mechanics, while awkward, are fun, but you don't get to use them too frequently, and you lose everything you pick up after every mission. You'd think with a story set around violence and money, you'd get to keep and use the weapons and cash you acquire, but that's not a part of the game. Instead, you guessed it, more driving.
  8. Mar 9, 2012
    If you enjoy watching paint dry, this is the game for you!!!! (I will re-review if it gets better, but I'm overcome by the lack of FUN or excitement that this game offers)... Has not aged well at all!!!
  9. Jun 15, 2013

1. It's rare in this day and age to be truly impressed by a game's graphics, but a lot of your early game time will be spent just marveling at the scenery. [Dec 2002, p.90]
  2. The missions are very well linked between them and in the background you thought of a very interesting but somehow sad story.
    Mafia is dripping with style and class and has certainly shoved itself into the ranks of the best games of this year.