9.0

1. Feb 21, 2011
    You can put 100 on this movie without hesitation. I've played it 4 times. It is the ultimate; it's the supreme game. I'm loving it!
  2. Oct 11, 2012
    Let's be honest, this is a seriously overrated game. Nobody wants to admit it, but it's pretty weak. The only thing it's got going for it is the graphics, which were incredible for the time. But the gameplay just isn't fun, the driving physics are awful, the fact that you have to drive everywhere is boring as hell, it's mercilessly hard and full of bugs. I usually always finish a game, butLet's be honest, this is a seriously overrated game. Nobody wants to admit it, but it's pretty weak. The only thing it's got going for it is the graphics, which were incredible for the time. But the gameplay just isn't fun, the driving physics are awful, the fact that you have to drive everywhere is boring as hell, it's mercilessly hard and full of bugs. I usually always finish a game, but I had to give up. That racing car mission was a nightmare, and that church level? Despite the hilarious bugs of seeing a fat guy crawling through the air, it was simply terrible. It's not that I don't enjoy a challenge, it's that I can't stand having to do the same thing thirty-odd times because of poor game design.

And people still jump at the chance to praise the story, and all I can say is... what story? It's just a load of stereotypical, annoying and generic 'gangster'-style missions and scenarios strung together by some pretty poor voice acting.

This game is nothing short of a total pain that hasn't aged well at all. But thankfully, the sequel fixes many of these problems and is a very enjoyable game. I'd recommend Mafia II, but this one? I'd avoid.
  3. Sep 10, 2010
    A neat premise is ruined by a moronic leveling system, cardbord characters, a cliched story, and bland environments. I had some fun with it, granted, but it was not what it claimed to be, and was simply mediocre.
  4. Mar 17, 2012
    Pretty good tutorial, but that's about it. The AI likes to get hit by cars making you lose the level. The cars are extremely slow and even struggle to get up bridges and if you damage the car enough forget about driving up the bridge, you're walking. Shame, because most of the missions involve driving.
  5. Sep 19, 2012
    I registered into metacritic only to tell you how awful this game is. It's buggy as h*ll, the gameplay is sh*t and most of the game is driving long distances with slow cars. AND THE DRIVING ITSELF IS THE MOST HORRIBLE THING IN THIS GAME AND 90% OF GAMEPLAY TIME YOU JUST DRIVE!!! I hate this game. Cops are only to annoy you: they don't care if gangsters shoot at you or break the speedI registered into metacritic only to tell you how awful this game is. It's buggy as h*ll, the gameplay is sh*t and most of the game is driving long distances with slow cars. AND THE DRIVING ITSELF IS THE MOST HORRIBLE THING IN THIS GAME AND 90% OF GAMEPLAY TIME YOU JUST DRIVE!!! I hate this game. Cops are only to annoy you: they don't care if gangsters shoot at you or break the speed limit, but if you even have a gun in your hand or drive over 40mph, they're after you. You can pull over and let the officer write you a fine, takes about 30secs extra, or just keep driving, which causes the cops want to arrest you. If they get you arrested, the game is over and you have to load from a checkpoint (and then you have to drive AGAIN THAT SAME ROUTE). There are no quick saves and there are few checkpoints per mission. Missions are annoying to complish and slow tempo. The only thing that is good, is some parts of the story. This unrealistic, annoying piece of s*it was waste of 5 euros. Yes, even L.A. Noire is hundreds of times better than this. Expand
  6. Jan 2, 2012
    Awful game. Getting pulled over for speeding at 40mph is just irritating as hell. A lot of missions are impossible because you die way too easily and you don't have enough ammo. This game was just a god awful experience and I quit playing it after a few missions. Just terrible all around.
  7. Mar 12, 2012
    Doesn't show you know where to go. Slowest cars I've ever seen. I spent more time trying to find the excat spot to stop those "bikes" (yes that's right. cars are powered by padels judging by speed) to reach or to advance the story. I never had any problems playing Mafia 2 so I see why this is interier. And it is way interier than GTA. 5 missions into Mafia and I'm still frustriated.
  8. Apr 8, 2012
    Things to know about this game:
    -Its linear (as linear as it gets).
    -Its Sandbox (but NOT like GTA) -It WAS MADE IN 2002 I say this, because i hear people complain about the graphics being dated, the game not being like GTA, and the speed limit being 40mph. But if you actually think about it. The game is not like GTA, because for one it is linear, and most importantly, unlike GTA, Mafias
    Things to know about this game:
    -Its linear (as linear as it gets).
    -Its Sandbox (but NOT like GTA)
    -It WAS MADE IN 2002

But if you actually think about it. The game is not like GTA, because for one it is linear, and most importantly, unlike GTA, Mafias "main bit" is the story. A well writ, well directed movie. A movie where YOU play as the main character.

With that out of the way, Id like to say that while I played, the main thing that pushed me to continue through is the "whats gonna happen next". Maybe I wasn't too much into the actual gameplay, but I can say I really was into the game.
    The gameplay maybe did lack a little something, but if you complain about that you're just missing the point.

The "speed limit" is 40 mph but you can go over that by just putting your foot down. Do expect a fine or two though. You also get fines from destroying road posts and skipping traffic lights.
    Handling is a bit tricky at first, specially with the worse cars, but you start getting used to it and since the game is based in quite a range of years, new better cars are made which you get to drive.

Mafia doesn't seem to have a defined "difficulty curve" (where the game gets progressively harder), instead missions vary substantially, but that is quite satisfying since you sometimes get very easy missions right after finishing some very hard ones. I personally found the first mission quite hard since I wasn't used to the driving and your car is considerably slower.

The story as I said is very well told and contains all the "cliches" you might expect from an Italian Mafia game/movie/book. The game was just what i was hoping and I don't see why people would criticise such a fine piece work.
    Murder, car chases, guns, torture, cars, prohibition, gambling, love, betrayal... exactly what I would expect from a game that chose "Mafia" as its title.
  9. Oct 3, 2012
    El mejor juego de todos los tiempos....... su música, la jugabilidad y la libertad de bagar por la ciudad es realmente lo mejor, el nivel visual para la época era sorprendente, aunque algunas cosas eran deficiente y falta mas para pulir pero en general es una obra de arte..
  10. May 25, 2012
    THE DEVELOPERS LIED. THIS IS NOT A SANDBOX GAME AT ALL.
    DO NOT CONFUSE THIS GAME WITH THE GODFATHER EITHER.
    Godfather is a sandbox/GTA type game. This is like riding a car on the rails. Sure you can drive anywhere, but there's nothing really to do, plus the driving itself is about as awful as it gets. The game feels clunky in every aspect, and the driving is more tedious then fun. Decent
    THE DEVELOPERS LIED. THIS IS NOT A SANDBOX GAME AT ALL.
    DO NOT CONFUSE THIS GAME WITH THE GODFATHER EITHER.
    The game feels clunky in every aspect, and the driving is more tedious then fun. Decent graphics, and storyline though. Biggest failing is no quick save feature.
  11. Sep 25, 2012
    Un juego impecable argumentalmente hablando, con personajes con carisma que logran la inmersión completa del jugador. Sin tener en cuenta que fue lanzado en 2002, artísticamente formidable porque logra recrear con mimo los detalles de la ciudad y sus alrededores; sonidos realistas de la misma como fiel recreación de la vida de cualquier metrópoli. Mafia es sinUn juego impecable argumentalmente hablando, con personajes con carisma que logran la inmersión completa del jugador. Sin tener en cuenta que fue lanzado en 2002, artísticamente formidable porque logra recrear con mimo los detalles de la ciudad y sus alrededores; sonidos realistas de la misma como fiel recreación de la vida de cualquier metrópoli. Mafia es sin duda alguna un balance perfecto entre guión y juego: una obra maestra. Collapse
  12. Nov 24, 2013
    Mafia is simply the best game I ever played. It was released on 2002, eleven years ago, and it still seems to have been released yesterday. The cars, the people, the story, the atmosphere... when I play it, I suddenly time-travel to the 1930's. I almost feel the fear on other people, the weight os the car in my hands, and the rain falling all around me, as I risk my life for the SalieriMafia is simply the best game I ever played. It was released on 2002, eleven years ago, and it still seems to have been released yesterday. The cars, the people, the story, the atmosphere... when I play it, I suddenly time-travel to the 1930's. I almost feel the fear on other people, the weight os the car in my hands, and the rain falling all around me, as I risk my life for the Salieri family. There will never be another game like it. The attention to detail while developing this game was absolutely amazing. There are no repeated textures on buildings, they're all different, cars can run out of gas, and the gas tank can hit by bullets, you can get fined if you drive over the speed limit, or if you pass a red-light. Police will arrest you if they see a gun. In other games, you can do illegal things, but in this game, you FEEL that you are doing illegal things. I think metacritic should get an eleventh score, so that we could accurately score this game. Expand
  13. May 27, 2011
    Epic game. Epic story, characters, gun fights and graphics (at that time,but still good today), city ... everything.

One of the best games ever created.
  14. Jul 18, 2011
    One thing I'm going to say about this game.It's a MASTERPIECE.The story is awesome with strong characters, the gameplay fantastic and the world is so real ant believable. This game is one of the best of its type.
  15. Aug 13, 2011
    Mafia:The City of Lost Heaven is a great game! The graphics are not the best but if you see this game was made a pretty long time ago,like 9 years (in 2002).I've given this game a 9 rating because it's a very good game but not perfect either.The story is great,explains every part of Thomas Angelo's life,and you can enjoy a big adventure in this game.The music is very good,and the graphicsMafia:The City of Lost Heaven is a great game! The graphics are not the best but if you see this game was made a pretty long time ago,like 9 years (in 2002).I've given this game a 9 rating because it's a very good game but not perfect either.The story is great,explains every part of Thomas Angelo's life,and you can enjoy a big adventure in this game.The music is very good,and the graphics are good for a 9 years old game.I saw lot's of reviews were people rated 0,1,2 or 4,that wasn't a decent rating.These people didn't even play the game or they are some trolls who want to spoil a such a good game!
    If you like the "mafia" type's of games I recommend to play this game.
  16. Dec 5, 2011
    Most realistic game ever! I usually hate that but for 2002 the graphics, story and authenticity were and still for me remain- unmatched. If you have any interest in 1930s America, a good gangster story or anything along those lines, you HAVE to experience this game. It's sold 2 million copies on PC and it plays NOTHING like a GTA. This has nothing in common at all with Grand Theft Auto.Most realistic game ever! I usually hate that but for 2002 the graphics, story and authenticity were and still for me remain- unmatched. If you have any interest in 1930s America, a good gangster story or anything along those lines, you HAVE to experience this game. It's sold 2 million copies on PC and it plays NOTHING like a GTA. This has nothing in common at all with Grand Theft Auto. Free roam is a separate game mode. The actual story is linear, with no free roam. What gets me is how the city is so beautifully designed, it's large, the graphics are a million times better than GTA 3, the guns and cars are very realistic, with a greater variety in them. There is even an encyclopedia of the cars included in the game menus. The soundtrack is STUNNING. But the game is entirely driven by the story and the characters. It's a very good story but also told in an interesting way. The level design, soundtrack, graphics, and realism in everything from getting scratches on your car, running out of fuel and getting fines for speeding to the motion capture and gunplay- all contribute to making this a masterpiece in generations to come. This is a once-in-a-decade game that does everything well, and it was developed by a small team too. This game should NOT be compared to GTA 3. It should be compared to the finest films and novels out there. It's something VERY special that MUST be experienced to be believed. Expand
  17. Feb 29, 2012
    Mafia is an uncut diamond. It's got a great story which embraces every mobster cliche with open arms and tells that story using above-average dialogue and cinematic camera work. The car models are beautiful and like the Four Fat Chicks say, the game just "oozes class". But that's where the toasting ends and the roasting begins. The overarching issue with Mafia is that its just...Mafia is an uncut diamond. It's got a great story which embraces every mobster cliche with open arms and tells that story using above-average dialogue and cinematic camera work. The car models are beautiful and like the Four Fat Chicks say, the game just "oozes class". But that's where the toasting ends and the roasting begins. The overarching issue with Mafia is that its just... well... UNFINISHED. Driving around an open-world New York city circa 1933-1935, I was struck by how empty it felt. The city is bare, repetitive and mostly non-functional. Unlike Grand Theft Auto (especially GTA 4 and San Andreas), there's very very little to see and even less to do. Bugs and glitches abound, ranging from popping textures to screen tearing to getting your car stuck in the scenery constantly. While they're well done, the same 3-4 driving tracks that play over and over will have you gouging at your ears long before the game is over. A secondary (but still crucial) complaint is vehicle handling. Since you spend roughly 50% of the campaign behind the wheel of a car, its important that vehicle physics be spot-on. Or at least manageable. They are neither. Cars are so underpowered that they just barely sputter up a small hill but it's also incredibly easy to earn speeding tickets. All but the best 3-4 vehicles are floaty and a complete displeasure to operate. On many occasions I found myself skidding (or spinning, flipping, crashing, take your pick) wildly out of control from the slightest steering adjustment while the police pursuing me drive in such a way that the laws of physics seem to bend to their will. Mafia is very good at what it does right but unfortunately it's only 3/4 of a game that feels like the lofty goals of its developers got cut off at the knees in order to make a deadline. What a shame. Expand
  18. Aug 23, 2012
    The best game ever.The most realistic game in its time,great story,exciting missions and gunshots,with a new driving system and detailed cars and at last the best graphic in its time....
  19. Aug 28, 2012
    I haven't even come close to finishing it and I probably won't. The story is fine enough on its own, but the game built around it is mediocre at best. The biggest problem is the gameplay, while not exactly broken, is infuriating. You have so little health that you die before you have time to react, something about the gun mechanics just feels off, driving is difficult and while I mightI haven't even come close to finishing it and I probably won't. The story is fine enough on its own, but the game built around it is mediocre at best. The biggest problem is the gameplay, while not exactly broken, is infuriating. You have so little health that you die before you have time to react, something about the gun mechanics just feels off, driving is difficult and while I might joke about the fact that the cops in the GTA series are fine with you going 100 miles an hour in oncoming traffic but try to kill you if you accidentally scrape one of their cars, I don't mean I want to get pulled over for driving above 40!
    All in all, decent potential, but ruined by a few poor design decisions.
  20. Jul 26, 2013
    While the game undoubtedly has a slower start, it is TOTALLY worth it. Lost Heaven is a beautiful period piece that feels like an actual, living world. The gameplay is nice, and not easy either. It's a MUST BUY for any fan of open world games, crime dramas, or shooters.
  21. Jun 19, 2013
    I unfortunately played this game after having played Sleeping Dogs, the latest GTA, Just Cause 2, and Saints Row: The Third, so it was difficult for me to get excited playing a game that looks so dated compared to the ones I've played recently. Not only that, but the gameplay isn't as great as everyone raves it to be. Sure, the story is decent, there are some strong characters, and thereI unfortunately played this game after having played Sleeping Dogs, the latest GTA, Just Cause 2, and Saints Row: The Third, so it was difficult for me to get excited playing a game that looks so dated compared to the ones I've played recently. Not only that, but the gameplay isn't as great as everyone raves it to be. Sure, the story is decent, there are some strong characters, and there are some fun missions, but there were to me too many flaws that prevented it from being a stellar piece.

The biggest gripe I had with it? Lack of open-world/sandbox. It's actually a very controlled environment and there isn't much else to do between missions outside of breaking laws, driving like a maniac, and ending on a standoff with the police. With such a vast area, it felt so... boring and empty beyond the missions.

Next biggest gripe would be that it is buggy at times with lots of graphics and physics errors as well as objects and sometimes even people getting stuck in the environment. Sometimes the AI would bug out too.

Cars, while understandably made to be realistic, were annoying to maneuver particularly during car chase scenes. The lack of driving guidance/GPS also bugged me, though I guess that was part of the whole realism factor they were going for.

Graphics, while great for it's time, did not perform any better on my high-end gaming rig than on my mid-level one, which was frustrating.

Overrated, wouldn't really recommend it unless it's cheap.
  22. Oct 12, 2013
    This game kicks ass!!!! One of the best storylines in a game ever!!! Graphics sounds and playability are all top notch... In all seriousness, this is one for every PC game players collection.
  23. Sep 22, 2014
    How to start ... for me, this game is a masterpiece. This game gives me a feeling like no other game does not succeed. My guess is that the game has all that well developed. Honestly, I have not done just once, but 2-3 times.

"The guy who wants too much risks losing absolutely everything. Of course, the guy who wants too little from life might not get anything at all." - Thomas Angelo
  24. Sep 16, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I first played Mafia many years ago when it came out, I was drawn into the story, found the style fascinating and even though i also had GTA at the time, I spent my hours playing Mafia instead. I recently played the game again for nostalgia and again, I can simply say, Mafia is one of my favourite games of all time. There are so many memorable missions, such as the levels where you attack the airport trying to catch someone, or where you break into a persons house to steal from his safe, or the mission where you assassinate someone from miles away and then make a getaway. The game is absolutely fantastic, and even though some people cannot get it to work, i feel that is a real shame as this game truly is one that everyone should play through atleast once. Expand
  25. Oct 22, 2011
    A decent game that could have been much better. First of all if I'd wanted a driving game I would have bought one. Secondly, I couldn't complete one mission due to the moronic AI of a companion - had to cheat in the end. There were other minor bugs. More positively, the story is good and the game keeps you interested (when not driving constantly) and I did start to care about my character.A decent game that could have been much better. First of all if I'd wanted a driving game I would have bought one. Secondly, I couldn't complete one mission due to the moronic AI of a companion - had to cheat in the end. There were other minor bugs. More positively, the story is good and the game keeps you interested (when not driving constantly) and I did start to care about my character. The missions were varied and interesting and the cut scenes done well. The game was very interactive in its time and the city is excellently rendered. This game minus most of driving and one game breaking mission, was a nailed on 9/10. Expand
  26. Jun 15, 2013
    The opposite of fun. Most of the missions are driving missions drive from point A to point B broken up by somewhat lengthy dialogue cutscenes.

The story seems interesting, but the game is just too damn boring. Maybe if the driving was a little more exciting, it wouldn't be so bad, but this is set in the 30s and the developers really want you to feel like you're in that time period, so most cars are a pain to drive (some topping out at 40mph), and the city itself is a pain to navigate.

The combat mechanics, while awkward, are fun, but you don't get to use them too frequently, and you lose everything you pick up after every mission. You'd think with a story set around violence and money, you'd get to keep and use the weapons and cash you acquire, but that's not a part of the game. Instead, you guessed it, more driving.
  27. Feb 7, 2012
    You can play it on 13 years old computer from now, and you can still be impressed of graphics,sounds,characters,cars and the manner of treatment..After play this game,if you can still compare with the others,so you must definitely uninstall it.
  28. Mar 9, 2012
    If you enjoy watching paint dry, this is the game for you!!!! (I will re-review if it gets better, but I'm overcome by the lack of FUN or excitement that this game offers)... Has not aged well at all!!!
  29. Apr 12, 2013
    The best game ever made. Brilliant story-line, very good graphics, good soundtrack, which is one of the best in video game history, brilliant made characters and many more thinks which players love in this game
  30. Jul 5, 2014
    Very high production values and feels like an excellent film, complete with sweeping soundtrack. It is not fair to say this is just GTA set in the '30s, it is better and more serious. Although the open world city is huge (larger than say GTA 4), this is not an "open world/sandbox" game. You go from one linear mission to the next, and thats fine as the story is interesting and so wellVery high production values and feels like an excellent film, complete with sweeping soundtrack. It is not fair to say this is just GTA set in the '30s, it is better and more serious. Although the open world city is huge (larger than say GTA 4), this is not an "open world/sandbox" game. You go from one linear mission to the next, and thats fine as the story is interesting and so well presented. This game comes from a time when things were not dumbed down for the casual console crowd - this is mostly good, but some things are quite difficult and unforgiving compared to today's games. This is still very much worth playing in 2014+ if you have not yet, despite the shortcomings of of being over 10 years old. Expand
  31. Apr 22, 2013
    This game was obviously ahead of its time. The atmopshere, the mission design, the story, the music, the setting... Everything seems to blend together. The game's weak part is the freeroaming aspect. Many people compare Mafia to GTA but it is really more common with The Getaway series, but even then, it is much different. BY FAR one of the best games I ever have played.
  32. Dec 8, 2012
    What a great game! An almost perfect game which is funny to play, but it also has a very good plot, very good graphics and excellent sound. Games like this will never be made again.
  33. Jun 2, 2013
    This is one of the best games of my childhood.I remember every dialogue from the game.
    I don't think if theres any problem with story or graphics they both are awesome.Back in these days when there was only Directx 8.I will never forgive this game.Its still inside my brain
  34. Sep 22, 2014
    **************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************** Expand
  35. Mar 5, 2013
    Simply the most epic game I've ever played. The plot, the graphic, the music, the message. This game was so far ahead the other games in these years, and it provided a lot of hours of beautiful gameplay to me and my friend.
  36. Jun 6, 2014
    Sure, let's compare a game to GTA V when it has 11 years between them... And Mafia II the sequel, many years later. It's not the game's problem if you suck. "Doesn't tell you how to go..." This is not a COD fanboy game with GPS dude... 1930... "Racing Car thing very hard" No problem at all with that. Easiest mission in the game in my opinion. The fact that you are too young and "weak" toSure, let's compare a game to GTA V when it has 11 years between them... And Mafia II the sequel, many years later. It's not the game's problem if you suck. "Doesn't tell you how to go..." This is not a COD fanboy game with GPS dude... 1930... "Racing Car thing very hard" No problem at all with that. Easiest mission in the game in my opinion. The fact that you are too young and "weak" to finish the game because it's much harder than the **** out now doesn't make the game bad. It makes you WEAK! So stop whining and finish it.. This game is very impressive. 2002... Expand
  37. Aug 4, 2013
    Najbolja priča ikada, i filmovi su rijetki ove kvalitete, a pritom još i dosta realistično sa odličnim klasičnim soundtrackom, grafikom i svim svime ostalim.
  38. Nov 3, 2013
    One of the best games ever. It has amazing music and gameplay is really fun. Even after completing story mode you can always play in free ride mode. Game is pretty long and hard but it's still fun to play. Characters are voiced very well. Bad thing about the game is the fact that some missions are pretty much same and pretty boring.
    If you love to drive a car, shoot people (in games) and
    If you love to drive a car, shoot people (in games) and watch great cutscenes, then you should play this game. It's really entertaining.
  39. Jul 4, 2014
    Terribly overrated game. Except for the graphics,there's nothing good with this one. Repetitive driving, few checkpoints which make play annoying as hell. I'd advise you to stay away.
  40. Aug 26, 2014
    People must stop compare every TPS shooter game with GTA, it's a bit annoying that if some game is not like GTA then must be bad? -NO! This game is a MASTERPIECE! If you are a true gamer and you played "MAFIA" you will know this game is great a real masterpiece as I said.
    Yes it's linear but hey it's a game from 2002 you must compare that too. The story is the best among all mafia/gangster games. Now the year is 2014, more then 12 years has passed when MAFIA came out and it's still the best mafia/gangster game you can play. Other thing the graphics are great for a 2002 game! This game really deserves 10/10 score!
  41. Jul 21, 2014
    I was totally amazed by story. I've played it dozens of times and I must say I really like the difficulty because it's not easy like games in these days.
  42. Oct 16, 2014
    It's still the best game ever. Have you tried these new games like GTA, Watch Dogs, Sleeping Dogs, Driver and so on? Now you must say that Mafia is much better. The people from studio which maked this game really cared about fans, they wanted to hear their opinions. Love the story and of course graphics. Czech republic rules.
  43. Sep 25, 2012

1. It's rare in this day and age to be truly impressed by a game's graphics, but a lot of your early game time will be spent just marveling at the scenery. [Dec 2002, p.90]
  2. The missions are very well linked between them and in the background you thought of a very interesting but somehow sad story.
    Mafia is dripping with style and class and has certainly shoved itself into the ranks of the best games of this year.