3.3

1. Jul 17, 2014
    Money grabbing pure pay-to-win sham with online store and DLC releasing at the launch day. Even "complete bundle" edition does not include all cards - the best have to be bought separately. You get the picture
  2. Jul 17, 2014
    Look this is really important, DO NOT SPEND MONEY in this game, you gain literally nothing by doing so. Now on to the game itself, well they flattened the story and although the range of cards is decent enough there is NO way to earn them all by playing the game. Sorry wizards you straight failed us this time.
  3. Jul 17, 2014
    Horrible excuse of a MTG game. Menu is clunky and lags, also is horribly designed unless you are playing on a tablet. Deckbuilding is nothing like it was hyped to be, what's the point of building a deck if you have such a small pool to work with?

Don't forget about all the microtransactions. They really give this game an immersive experience, allowing you to spend real money on packs to unlock random cards. Oh and that's the only way you can unlock cards in the "premium" pool.

Tutorial is painfully long (like 10-15 minutes easy) and no way to skip it. Nearly gave up before finishing it. There is no excuse to not add a skip option.

If you hated 2 Headed Giant or the Puzzle Mode, you're in luck! This game dropped both of those game modes. No excuse for them to be missing, these have been pretty standard in previous MTG games.

Don't buy this game. All it is is a money grubbing, pay2win, microtransaction filled MTG ad that you have to pay $10 for. Maybe they'll learn next year.
  4. Jul 17, 2014
    Gone are the days of Two Headed Giant and Planeswalker . The pro of being able to build your own style of deck is negated by almost everything else about the game. Vanilla game modes, sluggish menu navigation and tedious grinding that encourages a pay to win format are some of the features you can look forward to if you make the poor decision to purchase this game.
    I have been playing
    I have been playing magic for close to 15 years and never have I been so disappointed with a Magic the Gathering Experience as I am now.
  5. Jul 17, 2014
    Sadly is worst Duels of Planeswalker game i've seen. Can they make even worse interface? I doubt it, if you take card with your mouse, there is no step back. Good idea to collect cards and make you own deck, but not so easy as you think.... microtransactions, microtransactions everywhere, this is not game you bought, just a trial to try it.

Please do not spent your money and your time

Please do not spent your money and your time playing pirated version.
  6. Aug 7, 2014
    Do not buy this game. It is a sorry excuse for a sequel that has bare bones features compared to the previous installments, is riddled with almost mandatory microtransactions if you actually want to build a deck that has any strategical chance against the campaign opponents and the cheating/sabotaging AI is back worse than ever.

Let's go through this point by point. The sealed format is

Let's go through this point by point. The sealed format is gone, Two headed Giant is gone and the puzzle challenges are gone. Instead there is *only* the campaign mode where you fight duels against decks that have massively superior cards than you, that you can never have unless you buy the "premium booster packs" on top of... you know... *buying the game with your hard earned money*. The AI has the magical ability of without fault always drawing the exact card it needs to win, while you get shafted by either only land or no land cards at all. I have beaten both 2013 and 2014 campaigns and the revenge campaign of 2013 so cheating is nothing new for the AI in this series but man... the AI not only cheats like a motherfu*ker but uses game-breakingly strong cards that you can never, ever gain. So going through the game becomes an exercise in "let's hit the restart button until we give up in disgust". This on the easiest difficulty. Even the "help AI" has been sabotaged against you and it constantly tells you to make moves that are simply suicidal and *always without fail* automatically tries to choose the absolute worst way to use your mana. Even if you have the patience to grind through the "explore realm" levels to get all the possible cards you can, you still eventually run into a planeswalker there as well, who will without fail decimate you by cheating and prevent you from gaining even the weak pointless cards you could get from exploring the realms. Ajani, for example trumps your progress in one of these "explore" nodes and is absolutely impossible to beat, unless the game shows mercy and decides to eventually sometime in the year 2989 give you a duel that is actually possible to win. Ajani has a deck that, if drawn perfectly, is unbeatable by any combination of cards you can muster up. And as we have already established, the AI almost always chooses to draw a perfect card for every situation and beat you. The same thing happens with most other opponents, especially planeswalkers like Jace and Liliana. So that is the game designer's idea of "fun". Impossible cheating AI duels that transform the game from a game of Magic into a game of "hit the restart button 960 000 times and smash your head against the wall and then *maybe* you can progress to the next opponent and repeat the process".

This game is nothing more than a stripped down sham to try and force people to pay free-to-play microtransactions by causing aggravation and frustration. Do not waste your money on this crap. It's not even a game, it is a joke. The designer's clearly wanted to show a middle finger to every Magic player in the world, new or old, and try to prove that they can get the cash they want by putting out any insulting bullsh*t they want.
  7. Jul 16, 2014
    Magic is back for another year, under the usual premise to improve on an the established and solid formula that MTG has been bringing players for years. Despite Magic 2015's attempt to offer players more creativity and customization, the game falls short and is buried under a pile of technical issues and bizarre design decisions.

Magic 2015 is your standard DotP affair, and offers both

Magic 2015 is your standard DotP affair, and offers both new and veteran players a relatively fun experience. The tutorial is easy to understand and completely option (minus the final 'test') that will get you into the meat of the game rather quickly. In terms of the general gameplay, everything that this game offers (single-player, multi-player) is rather standard.

New to Magic 2015 is the ability to create your own deck for use in single-player and multi-player. Cards are unlocked by grinding single player matches through packs of cards called boosters. One of the worst things that this game does, in my opinion, is partition many cards behind a microtransaction paywall called Premium Boosters. The fact that your opponents may have other, possibly better, cards than you because they decided to pay more money is a huge downside -- and the first bizarre design decision Magic 2015 has.

The second downside is the games unappealing visual design and user interface. Many of the elements of the UI are familiar to players of the previous iterations, but seem very heavily influenced by this games release on console platforms as well as iOS. Many menus take upwards of five seconds to fade out into white before changing screens. Many features are unnecessarily hidden behind menus within menus and a real pain to access. The notification system fails to actually notify the player on most occasions it seems and provides no real added benefit outside of the already in-place main menu system.

The entire games visual design looks like it has been designed to be played in a science-fiction hospital, being almost completely white and void of any color and saturation. I found it to be a pain on the eyes and unpleasant, if not mildly irritating. It is worth mentioning that every single attack phase during your games, the playing board will split down the middle for no reason whatsoever - I have no idea what purpose it serves other than to bother the player.

Pre-made decks, as were present in past iterations of the series, have been completely removed from the game. Players choose a very basic deck based on two colors and are stuck with it until they can grind out enough boosters to create their own alternate decks (provided they get the right cards in their boosters), which is not likely to happen until possibly dozens of hours have been playing into single-player alone. So, make sure you pick wisely! -- there is no feature to reset your choice of deck once the tutorial is completed. If you aren't satisfied with the deck you had no way of viewing before choosing, too bad.

As mentioned, multi-player is your standard affair with no improvements over the past games. In fact, all co-op gameplay has been removed from this game. No longer can you play two-versus-one in the incredibly fun Two-Headed Giant mode that has been available for the past three years of Duels of the Planeswalkers, nor can you play two-versus-two anymore. Less is not more, and this game does a fantastic job of limiting what was previously available to players in this way.

I had very few of the reported technical issues with the game. Windowed mode has some awful resolution issues, and some minor issues with video settings resetting themselves every time I start the game. I experienced zero crashing or freezing.

To conclude, Magic 2015 is a game that is probably not worth the money for anyone who owns the previous versions. It brings nothing new to the table, and removes features completely. When you put down the money for that $10 price-tag, realize that you are paying for only a portion of the game. The developers have put a fair percentage of the game behind a microtransaction paywall in the form of Day One DLC, which an arguably be labeled Pay-to-Win. The interface is ugly and unnecessary, which is very important for a game that might eat hours of your time per session. Any owners of the previous Duels of the Planeswalkers game will be sorely disappointed.
  8. Aug 16, 2014
    I understand & appreciate the concerns irt microtransactions. Personally, I actually don't mind spending money on a game if it's technically sound & rich in features. Magic 2015 isn't.

The card collection is weak & not a full pool, the AI is ill-conceived (has overpowered cards & seems to play based on your 'unseen' hand & not your gameplay / cars on the battlefield). On top of lack of rich well designed features, it's SUPER SLOW & has a clunky UI that's cumbersome to use. Magic 2015 just feels like a quick money grab with little to attention to detail or actual QA. it feels quickly thrown together, poorly tested & feature poor. I don't mind paying for a product that's good. This problem is this Magic isn't. Given a choice knowing what I know now after having used the app, I wouldn't even bother with the download. One star is a bit generous for this failed release.
  9. Aug 8, 2014
    If you liked Magic 2014, don't bother with this one.

Pros:
    - Can build your own deck

Cons:
    - Menus take excessively long to become interactive
    - Card selection is poor at best
    - The 'best' cards are only available through the premium boosters of which you only ever get one
    - Campaign rewards feel weak, especially the final 'boss' game

Just avoid it. I wish I had.
  10. Jul 27, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. (Disclaimer)
    I played this game via library sharing on steam. So I have not purchased the game (nor do I plan to). Nor have I shelled out money to make the game "playable" (echos of the "cash grab" comments); The person who owns the game had unlocked all the cards and so I was able to make a deck actually worth playing.

(Poor AI)
    The AI is a straight drop in replacement for the poorly designed 2014. You can expect to: have the AI's draw exactly what they need when they need it and (seemingly) mess with your draws; So that your draws will be the worst depending on which deck you face.

So for example, if you have ~30% creature removal, against creature heavy decks you tend not to draw as much as you do against decks that are not creature heavy.

(On planeswalker difficulty)

But at the same time the AI is ridiculously easy to beat with a constructed deck. Even given the vaunted "you have the choice to make your own deck", the game becomes tedious against the AI's once their strategy has been neutralized.

This coupled with the removal of multiplayer features (playing against clever humans rather than stupid AI's), makes this a terrible game with almost no replay value.

(Crappy card choices)
    Even with all the "premium unlocks" with booster packs, the card selection is very poor.

I suspect that the card pool they've given you is a random selection of cards that you would get from actual booster packs; Mostly commons, a good amount of uncommons, few rares and only a handful of ultra rares. A terrible idea for a computer game, since you are routinely faced against decks that do not have this weakness, they are carefully constructed and have a reasonable amount cards that make them work correctly.

(Very poor challenge curve)
    Most of the AI controlled decks (even on the highest difficulty) are ridiculously easy to beat. But then randomly sprinkled into their incoherant story based campaign are decks that are insanely difficult to defeat EXCEPT for very specific removal mechanics; The Hydra deck and the token deck for instance. Being hit for 25 5th turn as a matter of routine is not fun.

This is so poor that it forces to player to play ONLY in one way to be able to defeat these decks.

(MTG color strengths are absent)
    White is the most powerful color by far. The other colors cannot come close to competing. For instance, black has 1-2 cards that are creature removal, when traditionally it is the strongest color in terms of removal.

Green has no large creatures worth the name, blue has little control, red has only a handful of viable direct damage, etc.

All the strengths of the colors have been neutered of their traditional strengths.

I feel that the people who designed the color selections did it by randomly selecting cards from boosters. There is no coherant theme or strategy involved in any of the unlocked cards.

(The deck)
    If anyone's curious, here's the deck I ended up one shotting the game with (I only ever had to play one game against each AI to win):

20x Plains
    3x Banisher Priest
    1x Planar Cleansing
    4x Gods Willing
    2x Hero of Iroas
    3x Reprisal 3x Ajani's Pridemate 2x Child of Night I only splashed black since the selection for white cards was so poor. With white creature removal (the only cards worthy of the name, since no other color has anything comparable) as the backbone, then Armored Ascension to make heavy hitting flyers. The rest is details since the computer can't deal with those two cards at all. Fantastically useful was the Gods Willing, but this was the cherry on top of the previous two items and only served to make easy games into ridiculously easy AI stomping games. I did have quite a bit of fun designing and testing this deck, which is why I haven't rated the game lower.
  11. Jul 22, 2014
    Granted, the paperback version could never be recreated in a digital format. However this game makes zero attempts to play as a card game and wants to lead you in an adventure when all you really want to do is play Magic: The Gathering. Surely, It's trying to elaborate and immerse you in the world, but it does so by holding your hand every step of the way (tightly at that). Then comes theGranted, the paperback version could never be recreated in a digital format. However this game makes zero attempts to play as a card game and wants to lead you in an adventure when all you really want to do is play Magic: The Gathering. Surely, It's trying to elaborate and immerse you in the world, but it does so by holding your hand every step of the way (tightly at that). Then comes the worst part: Micro-transactions. If done in a right, quasi-ethical manner it would be all fine and dandy but it almost feels like punishment to play without them. In conclusion, this game is going to make you feel as it its nothing more than a ripoff in the end. Do not spend your money in this game, unless you want to come to the sad realization that a sector of the gaming industry is going down the toilet. Expand
  12. Aug 9, 2014
    Flushing my money down the toilet would've been a better choice than buying this game.

- The game crashes constantly, even on high end machines, often in the middle of a match. Sometimes, it crashes the entire pc, forcing you to restart and lose the progress. I can run Skyrim maxed out on my machine and not a **** card game? Learn to code, please. - When you start, you're prompted

- When you start, you're prompted with a choice of ONE deck. The hints are very misleading: i chose the white/black deck that was described as removal based. Total removals in the deck: 3. You can't change your choice and you're stuck with your deck for the start of the campaign, unless you manually edit the save file.

- That goes without saying, the deck is EXTREMELY UNDERPOWERED, regardless of your choice. You'll have a hard time beating the early battles, even if you turn down the difficulty to Arch-mage. Be prepared to grind your way through HOURS of frustrating losses, as the AI "cheats" constantly. The only way to go around this is turning down the difficulty to Mage, then suddenly every match is a piece of cake but no fun at all.

- Even if you somehow manage to beat the AI, you're rewarded with a single booster pack. There's no guarantee the cards in the pack will boost your deck, they can be any color and, yes, you'll get doubles. The strongest cards, though, can't be obtained this way: they're reserved for people that BUY booster packs.

- NO 2HG, no Sealed Play.

- Clunky menus, that force you to go forth and back to check your progress.

- The "free deck building mode" is a joke. Despite what the description on Steam says, you'll be very limited with your choices when building your deck, unless (of course) you don't open your wallet and start hunting for premium cards. Building a decent monocolor deck is nearly impossible.

Magic 2015 is built around a single purpose: frustrating the player to the point of buying more booster packs through microtransactions. That is all. You won't enjoy this game unless you throw in it a **** of money. Even buying the complete edition (30$) won't get you 100% of the cards available, but will leave you at around 90%. In the end, to get the full experience you'll have to pay the same as a AAA+ retail game, but keep in mind this piece of **** will be replaced in 11 months.

This franchise has suddenly turned in a Pay to Win product, and that means that, at least for me, this is the end. I won't buy any more games from Wizards, ever.
    I've been a Steam customer for 8 years and I've never been so close to ask for a refund. DON'T BUY THIS GAME and save your 10 bucks for something else.
  13. Aug 15, 2014
    Pitiful .. Exact same game as before and again built for a 5 year old ... Why not just release expansion packs instead of asking people to buy a "new" game and then selling expansion packs .. Just like magic online shows wizards/hasbro only care about squeezing every dollar out of people instead of making the experience great .... Such a shame cuz magic is damn near the best game out there
  14. Jul 21, 2014
    DO NOT BUY. THIS IS A LAZY UNDEVELOPED GAME. This is by far the worst and laziest iteration of the franchise. Although it boasts complete deck building which is true, it falls far from other games. With the introduction of premium booster packs you must pay to unlock some of the most powerful cards. Clear pay to win, the best part being your not guarantee the cards you want for yourDO NOT BUY. THIS IS A LAZY UNDEVELOPED GAME. This is by far the worst and laziest iteration of the franchise. Although it boasts complete deck building which is true, it falls far from other games. With the introduction of premium booster packs you must pay to unlock some of the most powerful cards. Clear pay to win, the best part being your not guarantee the cards you want for your money either. Also to unlock the cards you cant play pvp which is the best and most fun part of the game, instead after completing the campaign you'll have about 30% of the cards. To get a decent deck or a few decent decks to play with you will have to grind through awful boring you vs the computer match ups in the "explore" which are bad watered down duels with silly caveats which get painfully bad the 2nd,3rd, and 4th time or more through. This is the only way to keep unlocking cards and its bad. The next huge issue is they removed all the game modes they had previously devolved, all you can do is go 1v1, 1v1v1, or 1v1v1v1. They took out two headed giant the games clear favorite and for what, who knows they already had it figured out in the last game, this is a clear **** you, we care not about you just your money" to the fans of the game. And to boot the Interface is the worst of all the versions its slow, sluggish and glitchy. Expand
  15. Jul 21, 2014
    Pros: deck building partially
    Cons: only 250 cards (remove multicolored/colorless and you're left with 40-45 per color), micro transactions, features simply ripped out of the game, AI, slow and sometimes unresponsive UI, white screens, some stuff is broken atm...
  16. Jul 20, 2014
    This year wizards made me really sad. This game is filled with micro-transactions even if you buy the most expensive pack. Challanges are gone. Deck building is done poorly, for example no search for words function and theres really not that many cards to have any fun. even if you count copies theres
    like 980cards overall, Yu-gi-oh on Wii had 4000! Background in the game is just plain obviously so it runs well on tablets. In the end, magic is still fun which would give like a 7 but those things take it down to a plain average 4
  17. Jul 19, 2014
    Magic 2015 could have been a 10, but they inexplicably took out all game modes other than single player and multiplayer free-for all. Two headed giant has been a staple of this series, and in my opinon, the most enjoyable game mode of the DotP franchise. It's what kept me coming back year after year. Not only did they take it out, there was almost no warning. I would never have bought thisMagic 2015 could have been a 10, but they inexplicably took out all game modes other than single player and multiplayer free-for all. Two headed giant has been a staple of this series, and in my opinon, the most enjoyable game mode of the DotP franchise. It's what kept me coming back year after year. Not only did they take it out, there was almost no warning. I would never have bought this game if I knew there was no 2HG.

All that said, the amount of freedom this game gives you to craft your deck is awesome. Unlike Hearthstone, you aren't limited by your "class" in your access to cards. You can literally make whatever deck you wish with every card in the game at your disposal. The types of decks you will encounter in multiplayer will be endless.

Still, the microtransactions and left out features kill this game, and I cannot recommend it to anyone unless they are a die-hard MtG fan. Wizards of the Coast and Stainless really dropped the ball on this one.
  18. Jul 17, 2014
    I have now completed the game sans a few card specific achievements. So I'm updating my review.

As a long time player of the physical card game and DotP series, I would highly recommend avoiding this particular incarnation of the game. It is first and foremost a mobile game, its IAPs and menu make this very clear from the start. The menu is particularly unresponsive to mouse clicks at times and I found it much simpler to operate via keyboard. You cannot see any menu in its entirety without scrolling through each option one at a time, switching between sub menus is very slow compared to previous games.

Content wise we have No revenge campaign, No alternate campaigns (Arch enemy/Planes chase/Etc.), No puzzles. Two headed Giant has been removed from multiplayer along with the old lobby system, meaning we now have to recreate lobbies every single game. All in all, you have about 1/3rd as much to do as any of the previous games in the series yet the price is almost identical, and now with even more day 1 "dlc".

Card selection while pulling from a larger number of base sets is extremely limited. It appears they pulled a small list of cards from several sets to beef up the features list on paper. In practice you will have fewer compelling decisions to make about deck composition than in previous DotP games where you had a selection of 40 or more hand picked cards to customize your deck with. Several powerful cards are locked behind an additional paywall. While not new to a series where decks have been sold as DLC before, now we are expected to buy random booster packs of cards to finish a complete set.

Navigating the game is painfully slow and clunky, comparing 2014 to 2015, If I want to change decks in 2015 I have to open up my player profile, click my deck icon, scroll to a deck, select it, and choose to equip it before backtracking to the original menu to select my opponent. Where in 2014 you hand a wheel of your current decks available after selecting an opponent, no additional menu navigation required. While it may not seem like a huge deal, in a game where you are expected to fight several hundred encounters to unlock all the cards for your self, small quality of life issues like this really add up.

In general the game AI seems to have taken a major hit, enemies will react and play in extremely predictable ways. Almost certainly to accommodate the mobile release of the game this time around. Even the basic AI that chooses to tap lands automatically when playing cards no longer accounts for cards in hand and requires you to specifically set what is being tapped so you don't lock yourself out of plays. This hasn't been an issue since very early in the series. AI opponents almost certainly cheat especially on higher difficulties. Difficulty is achieved through extra powerful cards not available to the player, in previous games you would be playing against decks you could unlock and customize yourself. The only exception being "End Bosses" but even then they were usually unlocked as DLC later in the games life cycle.

In my research I've seen numerous threads of people who are unable to run the game, and others having very poor performance even on top end systems. While I didn't experience anything too frustrating (Aside from a few lock-ups when trying to create decks) I still think it is important to mention as these games usually aren't patched very often in my experience.

I would also like to mention during the pre-order period of the game, there was no clarity with what the DLC available actually included. Some people believed that for $5 you would get an entire additional set of cards to customize your deck with. However, in reality it only unlocks the cards from a specific chapter of the game which would otherwise be entirely free. The special edition of the game included all these packs at a discount, but even paying $35 there are yet more cards you will have to shell out money for. Compare that to Magic 2014 where $20 will get you the game and all four of its expansions, With a better interface, smarter AI, better multiplayer experience, and honestly 3-4x the content.

Yes its playable, yes it magic, but for the cost, the problems, the lack of content... You are better off buying any other game in the series.
  19. Jul 23, 2014
    +Build your own deck
    -Can't build your own deck 'cause you won't get the cards for it
    -Poor variety of cards. -Paywall for "premium cards" -Poor AI With the new deckbuilding feature this could have been the best MTG of all time. Instead you get a paywall in your face. Make it rain extra cash or play with such a poor variety of utterly bad cards that you'll loose the fun in less than
    +Build your own deck
    -Can't build your own deck 'cause you won't get the cards for it
    -Poor variety of cards.
    -Paywall for "premium cards"
    -Poor AI

With the new deckbuilding feature this could have been the best MTG of all time. Instead you get a paywall in your face. Make it rain extra cash or play with such a poor variety of utterly bad cards that you'll loose the fun in less than a day.
    This new pay-to-win and DLC-spam trend is making me sick. Especially if the base game ist 80% copy paste of last years release.
    Do yourself a favor and avoid this scam.
  20. Aug 4, 2014
    I've written two reviews of MTG:DotP to date. 2012 and 2013. I gave them high scores because at the time I felt like it was the best, cheapest and most enjoyable way to experience card games digitally.

But things change and competition doesn't sleep. You are only as good as your competitor is not. There came a little game called Hearthstone that suddenly became major player in e-sports. It is not as complex and interesting as MTG, but I believe better suited for digital play.

Magic the Gathering doesn't seem to make effort to compete on, what I would call, casual online ccg market. DotP has been stripped of many game modes and forced into microtransactions which no one will be interested in because competition has better options for 30-year-olds with money.

Right now Hex seems to offer robust experience (we will see for how long), Hearthstone fun and casual - easy to learn, hard to master experience, and Magic in every single iteration is far behind. Now, lets talk about Hex. i believe Hex is all that MTG in Online form should be. It's a blatant and shameless rip-off, but still perfectly executed. if someone at Wizards had moved their brain at the right time, Hex would have never come to realization because DotP would have taken its place on the market...

MTG Online requires too much money and too much unecessary knowledge to get into (trading), and is simply to hardcore and too obsolete when it comes to engine to attract new players. DotP is a shade of what it could have been. A demo to Magic which each year looses field to new competition and doesn't even try to improve anymore.

Shame. Because Magic the Gathering is still the best card game out there. Just poorly managed and/or archaic in marketing and digital development.
  21. Aug 6, 2014
    To be honest... As a big Magic: the Gathering fan, I cannot recommend this year's edition.

Yes, you can actually build your own deck now... But options are limited. I feel, that I've had more freedom in last year edition, even when I was obliged to color/specific deck. Also, MtG 2015 is weaker in all other aspects. 2HG? Nope. Revenge campaign? Nuh-huh. Puzzles/challenges?

Also, MtG 2015 is weaker in all other aspects.

2HG?
    Naaaaaaah.

Clunky gameplay?
    Unresponsive interface?
    Checked.
    Microtransactions, and a lot of them?
    But of course.

That's a big no-no for me...
  22. Jul 31, 2014
    I have to agree with the low scores here. I live 2013, and played it like crazy. I bought 2014, and was well into it until something wiped my progress, and I was back to the beginning with no unlocked cards. 2015 appears even more predatory - either you pay an insulting amount of money for unlocks, or you grind your way up through endless turgid battles to start building a deck - whichI have to agree with the low scores here. I live 2013, and played it like crazy. I bought 2014, and was well into it until something wiped my progress, and I was back to the beginning with no unlocked cards. 2015 appears even more predatory - either you pay an insulting amount of money for unlocks, or you grind your way up through endless turgid battles to start building a deck - which will never be as good as the one you pay a premium for. ie, this is pay to win. To those that enjoy pay 2 win, have fun. Personally, I prefer a game. Expand
  23. Jul 30, 2014
    Everything has been said in the bad reviews. Just wrote this to give it a pleasing zero. This year no money from me. Please make a favor to yourself and try Might and Magic Duels of Champions, especially the Ipad version.
  24. Aug 21, 2014
    After all the problems DotP 2014 had, I was really hoping that the devs had taken a step back and rectified the issues with it (deck construction locked into Sealed mode, bad challenges, restrictive campaign, etc.). Instead we get a barebones version of MTG that does everything wrong that it possibly can. Problems are apparent right when you start up the game; the UI is slow and heavilyAfter all the problems DotP 2014 had, I was really hoping that the devs had taken a step back and rectified the issues with it (deck construction locked into Sealed mode, bad challenges, restrictive campaign, etc.). Instead we get a barebones version of MTG that does everything wrong that it possibly can. Problems are apparent right when you start up the game; the UI is slow and heavily animated, obviously being designed for a touch screen interface. Instead of being given 1-2 prebuilt decks like in the previous two annual releases, you are given a choice between deck archetypes. However, you have no idea what cards are actually inside your deck before you lock in to using that "Intro Deck"-strength deck which can really screw you over at the start of the game. For example, I picked a supposedly B/G Reanimator deck but the only reanimator card in it was Rescue from the Underworld (a high costed, slow reanimator that requires saccing a creature as an additional cost). Because you are picking an archetype and not an actual deck, you also don't get unlocks specifically for your deck; while this gives you more freedom in deck construction, new players will be baffled about what they should add to their deck or how to edit it properly. A "Suggested Cards" tool is available but it isn't very trustworthy; using it with my best deck (G/W tokens), two of the three recommended cards are Phytotitan and Pelakka Wurm.

While you can finally build your own decks with DotP 2015, you will really struggle to put something playable together without buying cards for real money. Buying all the cards in the game will cost you $20 and individual "planes" of cards will cost you $5 each. If you could just drop $20 on unlocking everything in the game you would be looking at spending only $30 total on DotP 2015. Of course, it isn't that easy... many of the best cards available (including Stoneforge Mystic, Doubling Season, Kozilek, and more) are locked behind "Premium Boosters" which give you 10 random cards for $2 (physical boosters in Standard cost between $2-4 and have 15 cards each). Last year's gambling mechanic was bad but it was only restricted to the Sealed Deck mode. DotP 2015 has essentially become Pay2Win with these boosters because the cards inside can be used in any game mode, including online.

Speaking of online play, there barely is any! 2-Headed Giant has been removed for no reason and no other game modes have been added. You can only play 2-4 player FFA with your custom built decks; no Archenemy, no Planechase, no new modes. With the addition of deck construction and the rise of popularity in Commander/EDH, it is really disappointing that even that wasn't added.

The only good thing that I can say about this is that they finally added non-basic lands. Deck construction is a nice touch finally but the rest of the game has suffered for it. It seems that in order to release the same game on every platform they had to cut content to make it work on mobile devices. DotP 2015 has a tedious, boring, and grindy single player campaign, no Challenges, no multiplayer modes outside of FFA, and no tools to introduce new players to MTG except for the tutorial. This is the worst DotP game made yet (even worse than the original DotP which was removed from Steam) and not even fans of the series should bother with this blatant cash grab.
  25. Aug 7, 2014

Let's go through this point by point. The sealed format is

26. Aug 18, 2014
    Failure of a game. The trend lately is to design games purely around making cash. I would rather pay $15-$20 upfront for a full game then $9.99 for an incomplete game that pesters you to pay money all the time. Who thinks this is a good idea? All this game does is just piss people off. It is a short term money grab that will tank your franchise in the future.

Please please please stop

Please please please stop the madness.
  27. Aug 21, 2014
    The only reason I bought this game year after mother grabbing year was for playing 2v2 with my friends. I was hoping they'd allow 3v3 or 4v4 one day soon, but instead they remove 2v2, and my reason for ever buying the game.

That's what passes for progress in Magic: The Revenue Gathering 2015! Do not buy, removal 2v2 is just the canary in the coal mine for this stripped-out, pay to

That's what passes for progress in Magic: The Revenue Gathering 2015!

Do not buy, removal 2v2 is just the canary in the coal mine for this stripped-out, pay to win abomination.
  28. Jul 25, 2014
    I love me some Duels of the Planeswalkers. Even though I have no shortage of real life Magic opponents, there's still a place for an enjoyable digital single-player campaign using a more restricted/guided card pool than the 10,000+ cards I have in real life.

But even though DotP 2014 was overall pretty great, 2015 isn't... not as much, anyway. I appreciate certain aspects... the sleek new interface, the fully customizable deckbuilder. Fantastic stuff. But those are the bones, where's the meat? 2015 is significantly pared back from 2014 in this regard.

And lastly, sleazy F2P tactics are absolutely unacceptable in a single-player game that you're already shelling out good money for. This is not Magic Online, we don't want to buy any damn virtual cards for a ****ing single-player game, okay Wizards? The entire card pool should be unlockable through gameplay. I'm fine with it if you want to make them slightly difficult/grindy to unlock, if you really want to drain some poor saps of their hard earned money, but they should be reasonably attainable to anybody who doesn't wish to part with their cash.
  29. Aug 2, 2014
    Between massive amounts of micro-transactions, the debilitatingly crippling, short, and mediocre card list, and the removal of game modes that kept fans entertained, I can honestly say that I regret purchasing this game. I would not recommend this game to anyone.

Other notable things to warn others: This game has incredibly slow loadtimes, bad menu systems, and the AI in charge of your land tapping mechanics does not account for costs of cards in hand, meaning that it will waste colors you could have used for other spells.

There is literally no excuse for how bad this game is.
  30. Aug 3, 2014
    Huge money grab using recycled content. Decks are very basic and not fun to play with. No new gametypes or multiplayer content over previous versions. Do not waste your money.
  31. Aug 5, 2014
    Worst Magic game so far. This is Magic 2014 made worse in every single way possible. Pay to win, no more two headed giant, slow interface, laggy gameplay.
  32. Jul 16, 2014
    All of the build up to this game has revolved around the fact that true deck building has finally been implemented. This seems like great news, until you realise that there's a measly card pool of approximately 300, which has been split into a 'basic' pool (unlockable by playing) and 'premium' pool (only unlockable via cold hard cash). This 'pay to win' approach would be a little moreAll of the build up to this game has revolved around the fact that true deck building has finally been implemented. This seems like great news, until you realise that there's a measly card pool of approximately 300, which has been split into a 'basic' pool (unlockable by playing) and 'premium' pool (only unlockable via cold hard cash). This 'pay to win' approach would be a little more palatable if the rest of the game was rife with content, but it simply isn't.

Gone are the prebuilt decks that were great to just jump in with on a level playing field, and also gone are fan favourites in the Two Headed Giant and Challenge modes. Deck building should have been a separate element to coexist with the format DotP fans have come to love. For those who wanted deck building as the centrepiece of the game there has always been MTG Online, so to take away so many great elements and replace them with a limited, micro-transaction filled husk of a game is appauling. Shame on you, Wizards.
  33. Jul 17, 2014
    The cost associated with this game is ridiculous when you have solid tcg games in Solforge and Hearthstone are truly ftp. Magic needs to evolve with the times because right now I have no reason to buy this game.
  34. Jul 17, 2014
    The worse money-grabbing attempt at a game that I have ever seen, it's so bad I took the time to Register here. Heres all thats wrong:
    1. User Interface is an obvious iJunk port that doesn't play well with mouse and keyboard and is too slow to navigate.
    2. Limited number of times you can swap colors BEFORE you complete the tutorial. 3. Tutorial can be skipped, but you must beat the last
    3. Tutorial can be skipped, but you must beat the last mission.
    4. AI cheats and has a Red/Green deck with creature that can become 9/9+ Trample/Flying/First strike/etc
    5. You can't preview decks before picking and the best creatures in them are no-where near as awesome and you often get massive land-clumps.
    6. You have to beat the tutorial and first chapter to even get access to the best parts.
    7. Buying Premium is pointless unless you beat chapter 1.
    8. Your decks mush have 60 cards exactly.
    9. I've been playing for 3 hours and I'm still stuck trying to beat the tutorial because my deck is crap and I have no way to fix it or change color.
  35. Jul 18, 2014
    Whether you are a Magic enthusiast or looking for an entry to the series, you must avoid this at all costs!

Nearly everything about it is bad, and with every new game in the series there's 1 step forward and 5 steps back, but this time it's just too far. Don't let the $10 price tag fool you, the game is a PayToWin cash grab. The first deck you get is severely underpowered and unless

Don't let the $10 price tag fool you, the game is a PayToWin cash grab. The first deck you get is severely underpowered and unless you want to spend hours and hours grinding (often for nothing because you only get a booster pack if you win), you have to be prepared to fork over an extra $30 to make the game actually playable. Combine this with the 'Shop' button on the menu that gives you access to buying booster packs for cards you can only get by buying and the game has already dropped severely from the past entries.

Menus are now a piece of iPhone 'scrolling experience' that end up being extremely slow, very clunky, and sometimes unresponsive to the point where you have to restart the game. Two-Headed Giant, arguably the best multiplayer mode of Magic 2014 is gone. Mana cycling is a huge chore now, because they were too lazy to enter a line of code that DOESN'T select all Lands of one color as default when using a card. AI still cheats and generally has the same glitches Magic had over 4 years ago. Notifications on your profile with what you want to share on Facebook or Twitter.

Now here is the funny thing. I have paid for expansion packs, decks, foil cards and everything I could do to support Wizards of the Coast in creating a good card game. Yet with every new game it gets more and more obvious they're only interested in one thing. They could have done so much more for fans, but they chose this path of incompetence and cash grabs and I simply can't support such a company anymore.

Seeing as how the past years have been, I fully expect Magic 2016 to be even more filled with shop options, glitches, social media, terrible decisions, poor optimization and all around incompetence. Thank you for caring about your fans.
  36. Jul 18, 2014

Please, Please don't buy this game.

The one and only credit this game might have had going for it is the substantial jump in freedom to create decks, or at least the potential to. This significant growth in the series is mushroom-cloud overshadowed by the cynically obvious, practically forced, pay-to-win system that makes the game out right not worth playing. It took me more than several attempts to get through the intro, by the end of which of I was quite bored and completely out of patience. Unless you feel like grinding through hour after hour of single player mode with a lousy deck, to unlock few and far between decent cards that one day you might be able to combine into a half-decent deck, have at 'er. For everyone else who isn't a masochist with too much time on their hands you'll be bored to tears, or pay out the nose for decent cards, which was the one redeeming factor of a digital version of magic in the first place.

It happened to everyone, you got into magic with a buddy or two, loving the game and the competition, until you run up against guys who drop hundreds of dollars on cards and win no-contest. The game stops being fun and you stop playing magic. Duels of the planes-walker struck a balance between deck customization and paying-to-win. 2015 gets rid of this balance and brings you back to the bad old days of either opting out or dropping mad cash no responsible adult could justify despite the nostalgia. If that wasn't bad enough, the salt on the wound is that fact that these cards will only be good for a year, so you can drop another $40-50 on cards in 2016. This is a great business model, but it makes for a horrible iteration of a classic game and is a real disappointment compared to the potential.

The really annoying thing is that if they had used a better model I would feel good dropping $30-40 a year on new release versions. But instead of a quality product worth purchasing, this $10 for a foot in the door, $50 if you actually wanna have fun is just a big f-u to the consumer and needs to be rewarded with poor sales.

37. Jul 20, 2014
    You start off with a sealed standard pool.... and a few game later you a playing constructed standard and modern decks... to be honset DOTP was better with set decks than sealed versus constructed. If you are new get Magic 2014.
  38. Jul 17, 2014
    I Just created an account on here so I can review this game. As a huge fan of the series this has to be the absolute worst. Interface, as many have said before is HORRIBLE!! Slowwww and Clunky. Not to mention it's a huge pain to navigate through the options.

NO TWO HEADED DRAGON?! Are you insane!? One of the cornerstones of this game is now gone. If they don't add it down the road then they literally shot themselves in the foot.

Should have kept some premade decks in the game to allow new players the ability to jump right in and compete.

As someone looking forward toward this game for awhile now, I'm completely disappointed, and will not put nearly half as much time into it as I did it's predecessors.
  39. Jul 17, 2014
    Pros:
    +deck building
    Cons: - - -NO TWO HEADED GIANT!!! BOOOOO!!! -Terrible interface(it is a step back from previous entries) -poor card selection -Not necessarily "pay-to-win" but player purchases in the shop can give slightly unfair advantages(not my biggest complaint, but I thought I would mention it) -No bonus multiplayer modes archenemy/plane chase/two headed giant (only up to
    Pros:
    +deck building
    Cons:
    - - -NO TWO HEADED GIANT!!! BOOOOO!!!
    -Terrible interface(it is a step back from previous entries)
    -poor card selection
    -No bonus multiplayer modes archenemy/plane chase/two headed giant (only up to 4 player free for all)

Why am I rating it so low? It takes too many steps back from the games before it. I've played all magic games before it and see no reason I should move on from them besides more people to play with. Since there is no Interesting new mode(and even the removal of a much loved mode) I don't see myself playing this with others much if not at all. I really can't recommend this to my friends so a short lived Magic:DoTP 2015 single player is what I foresee.
  40. Jul 22, 2014
    I'd recommend one of the previous years editions of Duels of the Planeswalkers if your looking to get started in this franchise unfortunately the 2015 attempt is plagued by slow game play limited starting decks (and no opportunity to switch if you don't like your choice after you've played it once or twice) resulting in a Grindy feeling and their's a heavy emphasis on in game purchasesI'd recommend one of the previous years editions of Duels of the Planeswalkers if your looking to get started in this franchise unfortunately the 2015 attempt is plagued by slow game play limited starting decks (and no opportunity to switch if you don't like your choice after you've played it once or twice) resulting in a Grindy feeling and their's a heavy emphasis on in game purchases which makes this version feel very much like a pay to win

I'd return it if I could

Tl;dr pay to win; bland & grindy game play; don't bother.
  41. Jul 16, 2014
    The worse version of the game till now. Yes we have free deckbuild BUT at the cost of 2 headed Dragon and a paywall of premium cards. And there´s MUCH more in the package...THE WORSE AI of all the Dotp, ugly ui and only 300 cards in the pool ¬¬
  42. Jul 16, 2014
    They advertised it as having deckbuilding. It does have deckbuilding. From a very limited pool of cards. And without cornerstone common cards, like fetch lands, Rampant Growth, Negate or Fireball. Those cards are in the game, but are restricted to inaccessible computer decks. It is likely they'll sell those as the DLC for this version.

The UI has gotten worse. Clunky as hell, and

The UI has gotten worse. Clunky as hell, and clearly optimized for touch screens.

On the plus side, the premium cards are almost exclusively cards you don't care about, so you won't feel any compulsion to actually buy them. The Store Locator feature is a nice touch, as it reminds you why they'd make such a bad version of Magic: to avoid angering their licensed sellers.

Bottom Line: At one point, I realized I'd rather be playing Hearthstone. And I hate Hearthstone.
  43. Jul 18, 2014
    None of the fun premade decks from previous iterations of the game. Microtransactions to unlock all of the cards whereas in previous versions this did not exist. no two headed giant. The included cards and decks that you begin with are trashy even by limited standards. With all that being said if you're addicted to magic you could probably do worse than this product at 10 dollars.None of the fun premade decks from previous iterations of the game. Microtransactions to unlock all of the cards whereas in previous versions this did not exist. no two headed giant. The included cards and decks that you begin with are trashy even by limited standards. With all that being said if you're addicted to magic you could probably do worse than this product at 10 dollars. Still though this is the worst version of the game so far that I have played. Expand
  44. Jul 17, 2014
    They really rushed this game. Its as if they were testing the waters to see what the bare minimum amount of work they could do and pass off as a game. They went a little too far this time. We have tutorial, campaign, and practice mode and that's about it. No 2HG, no puzzle mode, no archenemy or anything like that. You chose one deck and without telling you the game just locks you into thatThey really rushed this game. Its as if they were testing the waters to see what the bare minimum amount of work they could do and pass off as a game. They went a little too far this time. We have tutorial, campaign, and practice mode and that's about it. No 2HG, no puzzle mode, no archenemy or anything like that. You chose one deck and without telling you the game just locks you into that color unless you reinstall. Expand
  45. Jul 21, 2014
    Total donkey milking game if there ever was one. You do not get 2 Headed Giant anymore. Just a new set of cards and some premium cards that if you buy them all the game ends up costing you a lot more than $9.99. It's just MADDEN NFL all over again. Same ole game with updated cards. Only children will like this new edition as they like the ole "look at the choo choo" features of new games.Total donkey milking game if there ever was one. You do not get 2 Headed Giant anymore. Just a new set of cards and some premium cards that if you buy them all the game ends up costing you a lot more than $9.99. It's just MADDEN NFL all over again. Same ole game with updated cards. Only children will like this new edition as they like the ole "look at the choo choo" features of new games. lol Hardly an adult game to buy. Come on over to HEARTSTONE that's a real game and it doesn't cost you an arm ana leg to play it. Fact is it's FREE to get in. Of course if you want some better cards just like all milking donkeys you'll have to pay. ;)) But free is a lot better than $9.99 every farking year and for less too. Expand
  46. Jul 18, 2014
    Don't buy, the game gives you one very **** deck and you have to buy booster packs to make it somewhat better, you will be surprised how much you will be using poor cards out of boosters you would never used anywhere else to make your deck somewhat usable. Oh and the end boss has only rares, legends, and premo uncommons, you are expected to beat this boss with your crap deck, realisticallyDon't buy, the game gives you one very **** deck and you have to buy booster packs to make it somewhat better, you will be surprised how much you will be using poor cards out of boosters you would never used anywhere else to make your deck somewhat usable. Oh and the end boss has only rares, legends, and premo uncommons, you are expected to beat this boss with your crap deck, realistically you are meant to buy many boosters until your deck is not **** and can manage to beat the boss both times. Expand
  47. Jul 19, 2014
    making base and premium pull - its crap, really. In fact, in game balance quite broken cause white color really overpowered, and my favorite red color isn't much useful. And game looks awful for pc gamers, because if you really dont like gamepads you will suffer in-game menu very hard. Picking basic deck is a kind of blind choice, only color give you some information, and you have to playmaking base and premium pull - its crap, really. In fact, in game balance quite broken cause white color really overpowered, and my favorite red color isn't much useful. And game looks awful for pc gamers, because if you really dont like gamepads you will suffer in-game menu very hard. Picking basic deck is a kind of blind choice, only color give you some information, and you have to play this deck whole game, cause you have only one deck until you win at least few games, which is hard, because pre built deck can beat campaign one with a great kind of luck only.
    and also my favorite review on this game:
    GARRUK BEGAN THE HUNT FOR YOUR MONEY! CAN YOU STOP IT?(c)
  48. Jul 20, 2014
    I understand that everyone has a problem with the micro-transactions, which give access to "premium" cards. I feel it is important to point out that you do not need these cards to make the best decks. The premium cards will certainly allow you to build certain archetypes, but they don't contain essential cards that will make every single deck better. There are plenty of decks that can beI understand that everyone has a problem with the micro-transactions, which give access to "premium" cards. I feel it is important to point out that you do not need these cards to make the best decks. The premium cards will certainly allow you to build certain archetypes, but they don't contain essential cards that will make every single deck better. There are plenty of decks that can be built from the core cards that don't need the premium cards, and would actually be better off without them. You are limited to one of each mythic, two of each rare, and three of each uncommon, so buying all the premium cards only allows you to use a few of those cards. This sort of balance can be a pain, but in the end I can't help but feel it is slightly justified. You can unlock more than all the cards you will ever need for several decks just by playing the game. Of course these micro-transactions still have the capability of giving a player an edge simply for spending more money.

The menus and animations are sluggish. I mean they are EXTREMELY sluggish, and the game warrants a better score but these animations are incredibly poorly constructed and it makes the menus seem really clunky. I think this would be an easy patch if Wizards would take the time to do it. This still wouldn't fix what is clearly console-ported menus though, and they are definitely a step back from DotP 2014.

The reason I am still giving this game a fairly decent score is because it is pretty much everything I have ever wanted from the deck-building perspective. Ever since the DotP series came out, all I ever wanted to do was create my own decks from the cards the game offered. As soon as I unlocked all the cards in DotP 2015, I made 10-12 decks, stemming from ideas I'd had brewing in the back of my head while playing the game. I played each of my new little creations a few times each and refined them accordingly. This, to me, is what Magic is really about. DotP 2015 scratched an itch which badly needed scratching for me.

Still, the Two-Headed Giant co-op mode is gone, which is a big minus for many, (although I never played it much myself.) I only really miss Archenemy, and maybe Plane-chase but those haven't been around for a good while. I just wish Wizards would listen more closely to the fans of their DotP series, instead of "taking the EA route".

The verdict: if you don't absolutely love deck-building and creating original decks, I would recommend that you stick with the older DotP series (preferably 2014), especially when they are on sale. DotP 2015 doesn't bring anything new but deck-building to the table. For me, however, that was all the incentive I needed.
  49. Jul 17, 2014
    Worst Magic game yet, PvE is just frustratingly rigged, AI just holds everything cause it knows exactly what cards you have to play, proved this on several runs by forcing Avacyn to 1HP only for her to Rebuke 2 minions, followed by 2 Return plays on 2 of my Treason, followed by the prompt 7+ life and the kicker in the teeth is that was all one turn as she plays land cards every turn andWorst Magic game yet, PvE is just frustratingly rigged, AI just holds everything cause it knows exactly what cards you have to play, proved this on several runs by forcing Avacyn to 1HP only for her to Rebuke 2 minions, followed by 2 Return plays on 2 of my Treason, followed by the prompt 7+ life and the kicker in the teeth is that was all one turn as she plays land cards every turn and holds counter spells to every move, I've had this and so far all those I've talked to have had the exact same experience.

I made the mistake of buying a booster pack this content is locked from you even though you paid your own money to gain the pack till you complete the first Act of the campaign along with multiplayer, to put it a nice way "Fudge" yourself for this, you locked my ability to play online game with my friends when it was the reason I bought it was to play with them you force me to sit through a tutorial battle (If you skip the base tutorial) where you have to prove you got what it takes to draw the lucky cards from your pre-fab deck, followed by 4 battles of mind numbing sameness, if you replay you will notice same cards same turn, this just adds to the frustration then when you tell me the fact I spent money on the game bonus content doesn't entitle me to the content straight away.

Buy this game only if you want a limited deck builder that most likely doesn't include any of the cards your hoping for, with a lackluster campaign story, playing against CPU opponents that play based on what you have on your hand not whats played.

Menu system is unresponsive at times, selection control of cards is iffy at times sometimes attacking or failing to block when you click then skipping your go, lots of extra fluff in the game for no reason, "Store Locator" surely you must jest if your a fan of the game before you know where your local card supplier is, if your not then this game is wasting its time cause you ain't going to want to play the card game from this experience.

Only positive is if your a fan of the artwork for Magic you can stare at some of the cards you like then close the game down promptly.
  50. Oct 7, 2014
    Considering the surplus of negative reviews, there's not a whole lot I can say that would suggest this game is worthy of a purchase. As someone relatively new to Magic (but not TCGs), a game like this was perfect for me to get comfortable with game flow, strategy and deck building. For newer players this is pretty good value, especially if you don't have experience playing with certainConsidering the surplus of negative reviews, there's not a whole lot I can say that would suggest this game is worthy of a purchase. As someone relatively new to Magic (but not TCGs), a game like this was perfect for me to get comfortable with game flow, strategy and deck building. For newer players this is pretty good value, especially if you don't have experience playing with certain colour combinations or themes.

There are a few things that can spoil which should be a great introduction for newer Magic players. For one, it is not possible to unlock the Premium cards unless you pay for them. It is possible to beat the game without them but not having an alternative way of unlocking them is pretty depressing. Especially compared to its casual-friendly competition: Hearthstone, where dedicated players can unlock the vast majority of the cards with enough patience and luck. Having a paywall to separate basic players from premium players is not only exploitative it creates a lopsided advantage in favour of those who spend the extra cash.

As for the core game itself, I like the overall design. The presentation is clean, card mechanics are demonstrated in a clear and concise manner, and it is relatively minimalistic, leaving only the information relevant to the player. This is a welcome change from the looks of MG:O which looks overly busy by comparison.

The gameplay works as you would expect but there are some slight nags. For one, there's no way to cancel a card from being played if you click on it. The only exception is if it requires some kind of confirmation. This means if you misclick the wrong card, there is no way to cancel your selection and choose the card you would like instead. A major inconvenience for a game centred around strategy. The AI doesn't really feel like it offers much of a challenge so much as it forces the player to be very patient. The AI very rarely has bad draws and will often have perfect counters to the cards that you play. Beating AI opponents doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment, but rather just replaying until you muligan into a perfect hand. The worst part is, the endboss requires that you draw twice (it has two forms). This means you could have an amazing first half and if your next series of draws is terrible, you might as well just hit the reset button and start all over.

I don't know how the game's shuffling system is coded but it really needs some work. I don't care how unlucky a person can get, I have never had so many games where 95% of my cards were land. It seems to happen very frequently in Magic 2015. Nothing says fun like being unable to play your hand as the AI opponent beats you senseless.

If you do decide to play with friends it is pretty fun for what it is. It doesn't quite compare to the real thing but it's a good way to scratch the itch.

All-in-all, Magic 2015 is great if you're brand new to Magic and need something to get you accustomed to the basics. If you're not new, it is very hard to recommend this purchase. Do some research before you buy if you're on the fence.
  51. Jul 27, 2014
    Magic 2015 is a game based on Magic: The Gathering where you collect cards, build decks, and battle opponents. They've made several Duels of the Planeswalkers games, and I've played all of them.

Magic 2015 is a huge step forward for the series, yet also a huge step back. It's really pretty frustrating. This game finally implements the one feature people have been asking for since the

This game finally implements the one feature people have been asking for since the beginning: the ability to make a custom deck from scratch. You get a pool of cards that builds over time, and you can build your own deck out of the cards you have, and it's a major improvement. The game has several ways of helping you build a deck, or you can hand-select each card, like I did.

If it wasn't for that, though, this game would be among the worst in the series. There's a somewhat diverse selection of opponents, but the difficulty curve is all over the place. It puts you against a big green deck really early, and that's a tough deck to face with only a handful of starter cards. The puzzle mode from previous games is gone. No alternate play modes either, such as Archenemy or Sealed from previous games. What's worse is that the card pool, even when you've unlocked everything, just isn't quite diverse enough, so there aren't that many great decks you can build out of it. If my opponents can make a Sliver deck, why can't I? As a side note, the menus in this game are really slow and animation-heavy. Magic 2014 had way better UX design... what happened?

The microtransactions in this game aren't as bad as the infuriating Sealed Deck mode in Magic 2014 (I'm still mad about that), but they keep a few cards locked out of the main game unless you pay more to unlock them. They're good cards, too. The white Paragon, for example, would be an amazing inclusion in the Convoke deck. I think they're usable in multiplayer too, so this could be called a pay-to-win mechanic (you can still build acceptable decks without those cards, but they really help).

There are two other pluses that I haven't brought up yet. Fighting random opponents in single player is a good inclusion. I wish there were more, though... there are only a small number of opponents per location. Also, as someone that follows the card game's storyline, it's nice to see what actually happens to Garruk (and Ob Nixilis).

Ultimately, I would still recommend this game if you're interested in Magic, though I don't think I could recommend it over Magic 2014. They're not asking for much with the $10 price tag, and I don't regret having spent the money on this. Magic is still fun. Also, it's nice to build decks from scratch for a change. For now, steer clear of the extra paid content.
  52. Aug 31, 2014
    Worst game ever, put aside the money grabbing tactics, the game has no fun, only frustration. Imagine the odd of drawing 10 time a hand with full lands or none, seriously? the enemy can get full hand of perfect counter card opposing your hand and this doesn't happens a game or two, basically happens all the time. Worst shuffle system.
  53. Aug 31, 2014
    I've played magic 2013 and 2014 so i know the stuff. Magic 2015 is a very bad game. They introduced a money to win component an they've realized a new interface full of bugs. And it's not finished: they have eliminated the two headed giants mode (2 players vs 2 players).

I wish i've never bought it.
  54. Sep 5, 2014
    Do not buy this game. This game forces to buy premium boosters (you must pay 1.99usd for each to get them). so you cannot complete card collection without paying 20 ~ 30 usd. and its hard to beat who have premium boosters. I'm sure that this is the worst pay to win game I have ever played. I was big fan of Magic 2013 and Magic 2014. but they betrayed their fandom to make little more money.
  55. Sep 16, 2014
    Aside from missing 2HG and the puzzle mode this is the best one yet. The ability to create your own deck is awesome and allows for way more strategy and variety. For everyone complaining about the premium boosters... The most competitive deck builds in the game dont require any of the premium cards so if you dont want to buy them you dont have to. They arent that expensive anyways I guessAside from missing 2HG and the puzzle mode this is the best one yet. The ability to create your own deck is awesome and allows for way more strategy and variety. For everyone complaining about the premium boosters... The most competitive deck builds in the game dont require any of the premium cards so if you dont want to buy them you dont have to. They arent that expensive anyways I guess theres alot of poor kids on here. As for me there was only several premium cards I wanted so I spent like 8 extra bucks and got em, Expand
  56. Sep 16, 2014
    Magic 2015 is really well done. I will not repeat what all the others have said about the game. I will say this, there are a lot of people complaining about the micro transaction in the game for more cards. If you played any of the previous Magic the Gathering games, you will have noticed that they require you to do micro transactions to unlock all of the cards / decks in themMagic 2015 is really well done. I will not repeat what all the others have said about the game. I will say this, there are a lot of people complaining about the micro transaction in the game for more cards. If you played any of the previous Magic the Gathering games, you will have noticed that they require you to do micro transactions to unlock all of the cards / decks in them too. The only main difference between Magic 2015 and the others at this point and stage, is that there is no Two-Headed Giant (2v2), no Archenemy mode, no puzzles, or Revenge campaign. I am certain they will be adding patches / expansions that will add them. Even in Magic 2014, you had to buy the expansion for the revenge campaign and buy separately, several decks. Overall, far better then the previous games and the decks you can build are far better / challenging / fun to use. Expand
  57. Sep 17, 2014
    I don't understand the bad reviews i love this game better then the rest of the planes walker games its hella fun! Great cards Great decks u can actually create fully custom decks which is the best ever!
  58. Jul 18, 2014
    Magic 2015 for PC is an amazing game that will provide hours of entertainment for just $9.99!

All the complaining is coming from people who think that you can’t make a decent deck without the Premium cards (which is untrue). Even if you believe that, $9.99 + $23.88 is still worth it for this game. Multiplayer may not have two headed anymore but still includes the 2, 3 & 4 player

Multiplayer may not have two headed anymore but still includes the 2, 3 & 4 player free for all games.

The open deck building is what really makes the newest version great. You are no longer chained to preset decks. People complain there is only about 300 different cards (340 with Premium packs), but each area has about 60 cards to unlock (most of which you need to unlock 4, 3 and 2 times) and new zones will be added with DLC, so in the future there will be a ton of customization available.

Overall the game is smooth and a ton of fun. Also, for those of us with Alienware machines, it is really cool to see the game take advantage of the systems lights!

Highly suggest you pick it up. Don’t let the crybabies turn you off from getting a great game.
  59. Wik
    Jul 28, 2014
    I have just started playing Magic. I really like it. the game look good, and runs good on PC. The card and decks are fun to play. PC players are whiners... thats for sure.
  60. Aug 9, 2014
    Basically, the game is fun as always but, game resolution and aspect ration change issues bothering me.

Beside these, i can say i like this game :)
  61. Jul 28, 2014
    I have about 8 hours logged into Magic 2015 and I am enjoying it. As a long time(20 years) on and off player who no longer has time or money to play the physical game, it is a great way to get your magic fix. The matches are typically 10 minutes the interface and game play is smooth. I like that I earn a booster pack with every win in campaign mode. I dislike that they took out twoI have about 8 hours logged into Magic 2015 and I am enjoying it. As a long time(20 years) on and off player who no longer has time or money to play the physical game, it is a great way to get your magic fix. The matches are typically 10 minutes the interface and game play is smooth. I like that I earn a booster pack with every win in campaign mode. I dislike that they took out two headed giant mp format, please bring it back. Also the sliver deck you run into in campaign mode is a bit over the top. I bought the $10 base version, and I started with the green and red deck. I think it's silly you have to unlock the deck filter feature but once you do building new decks is fairly easy.For a quick magic fix I think its a good game. Expand
  62. Jul 17, 2014
    Excellent game all the way. I have been playing this series since the first one back in 2010. I have loved each one, and they just keep getting better with each installment. The freedom to finally make your own deck is excellent and the single player story is great and the duels can be very annoying and difficult at times. The challenge is part of the fun :). If you are a MTG fan & haveExcellent game all the way. I have been playing this series since the first one back in 2010. I have loved each one, and they just keep getting better with each installment. The freedom to finally make your own deck is excellent and the single player story is great and the duels can be very annoying and difficult at times. The challenge is part of the fun :). If you are a MTG fan & have yet to play any of the Duels of the Planeswalkers games, then you need to pick this one up. I am looking forward to the expansion and the growth of the card library. Expand
  63. Aug 2, 2014
    The complaints about micro-transactions are valid... if you are looking for a low-cost way to play M:TG, stay away. As a card player since Fallen Empires and a computer player since the original MicroProse days, this version is both current and true to the spirit of the card game.

All of that said, I can't help but wonder what happens to my micro-transactions when the next version of the computer game comes out (which has been an annual ritual of late). Will your card purchases roll over? Probably not. So, beware the investment you make in the cards for the game, as they will likely go up in smoke next year,

I still have the M14 version of the computer game, and plan to use it regularly to help ease the sirens that shamelessly call out to me to invest more money in virtual cards that will probably be worthless come this time next year.

Recommended, but as with regular M:TG, expect to invest some in virtual cards to be competitive in multiplayer games.

If the developers are reading this, your card randomization/sort routine SUCKS. Why do I have more than 1/3 land, and regularly get 1 or NO lands. It seems that if you wait a while and draw a new set of cards, your land distribution almost always is closer to the bell curve. I'm guessing you carried this part of the game over from previous versions, which also suffered from a "sucky sort". If you don't fix this issue, I won't buy the next version. I can sink my money into physical cards if I want to make an investment in M:TG.

If others are frustrated with this issue, WRITE ABOUT IT ONLINE!
  64. Jul 16, 2014
    Magic 2015 is definitely not Tragic 2015 even though technically tragic events happen within its compelling story. The new slick, sleek & sexy user interface is great and gives Magic 2015 an unintentional sci-fi/fantasy mash-up feel which is oddly welcome. This is a fun game guaranteed to give you hours of magic carpet rides even if you only have hardwood floors.
  65. Jul 21, 2014
    Despite it´s release bugs (problems with shop not working because game can not interact with steam overlay, time taken to navigate in menu....) and "premium" need to pay cards (which are not really neccesary) i would say all this is compensated by the availability of creating your own decks. Now when you play online, you do not really know what you are facing, as decks are not premadeDespite it´s release bugs (problems with shop not working because game can not interact with steam overlay, time taken to navigate in menu....) and "premium" need to pay cards (which are not really neccesary) i would say all this is compensated by the availability of creating your own decks. Now when you play online, you do not really know what you are facing, as decks are not premade like in other games. You can even test your decks playing against them (used by IA).

Something i do not really understand is how did they do to break off the auto mana tapping system (it worked perfect in other games, this one just insists on breaking one color pool first when you are going multi color), but i hope this is fixed and can be fixed when you push control meanwhile, as it allows you to choose manas.

I remember new decks being brought in last mtg games within the time. I hope new cards are inserted in this one, and with the actual high range of cards to choose from and new ones, there will not be 2 equal decks.

To sum up, probably your favourite MTG game if you are more into deck personalization than game modes. If you like other MTG games, it is totally worth to give a try.
  66. Jul 22, 2014
    + Free deck building, which previous Magic games didn't have.
    - Menus are horribly slow to use.
    - There are no other game modes besides free-for-all. - You cannot unlock all the cards via gameplay, some have to be bought in boosters via in-game store which costs real money. It costs around 25€/28$ to get them all. - Everything is super white so if you have a bright monitor you'll burn
    + Free deck building, which previous Magic games didn't have.
    - Menus are horribly slow to use.
    - There are no other game modes besides free-for-all.
    - Everything is super white so if you have a bright monitor you'll burn your eyes.
    - 60fps mode doesn't stay on, the game constantly changes it to 23fps.
    - When you try to join another custom multiplayer match after finishing one you often crash.
    - Multiplayer lobbies are public by default and quick match system doesn't have any queue so you'll fail to connect 90% of the time.
    - There's a bug that may cause you to lose all your progress and cards, including premium($) ones.
    - Many cards are not working as intended e.g. If you use prey upon or hunt the weak on enemy that has any abilities(life steal, etc.), those abilities do not work. This is just one example, I've found around 10 others so far.
    - You may sometimes get stuck between turns in multiplayer and the game doesn't resync, though this was also a problem in previous Magic titles.
    - There is no way to remap skip button(TAB), or any buttons if you're playing with a controller.
  67. Nov 5, 2014
    It is just a game to steal your money.
    After paying for the game you have to pay even more to win any battle.

Now nothing is more stupid than this game developers writing reviews here giving 9 and 10 and trying to write as if they were young players... that is just simply sad!
  68. Aug 17, 2014
    This game got me into magic but,
    i don't have access to some cards the ai was using which frustrates me.
    on the other hand it did teach me how to play magic. This game is good for a new player because the campaign put me up against most 2 color combo decks. By the end of the campaign i did know what all the colors were about. and the interface is nice and clean too which i love.
    This game got me into magic but,
    i don't have access to some cards the ai was using which frustrates me.
    By the end of the campaign i did know what all the colors were about.
    and the interface is nice and clean too which i love.
    Unlocking the cards is a real shore since you have to play the same ai opponents repeatedly to get new booster packs.
  69. Oct 5, 2014
    Unclear why user's are trashing this iteration of Magic, DoP?..in fact, I nearly avoided buying it as a result; however, I'm glad I gave it a shot despite the overwhelmingly poor reviews. Objectively speaking, this game is not worthy of a "10", but I feel obligated because of all of the zero-scores it has unfairly received.

I have been playing MTG since revised (3rd ed), I play Magic

I have been playing MTG since revised (3rd ed), I play Magic Online and DoP since 2012...I can safely say, Magic2015 is by far, my favorite so far (220 hrs of play logged). It is lacking some important multiplayer components (Two-Headed-Giant, in particular) but otherwise, when looked at as a whole package, the game has improved (in my opinion) in nearly every respect.

I have spent $10 on this game, and nothing more...this is the least 'pay-to-win' version of Magic thus far. You play and earn a virtual pack of cards added to your growing collection for each game you win. If you don't enjoy playing-to-win, and would prefer just to win, rather than playing, then you have the OPTION of buying more packs. This defeats the purpose of buying this game in the first place, but the option is there. This is also the reason I would only recommend purchasing the $9.95 version.

You can custom build your own decks! There's no limit to the number of decks that you build, since the builds are saved in your inventory, and you can build a fresh deck with any combinations of colors and cards whenever you want. Now, granted, your card pool is solely based on the number of cards that you have won, so starting out, you will be merely modifying your starting-deck until you earn enough cards to freely build. The starting deck deck is somewhat weak, but gives you a strong push in the 2-colors of your choice. Also, an important note regarding the packs that you win, you can never get more than four of any one card. This is huge! It means no redundant copies of commons once you round out a set of four. The cards in the packs are randomized picks that are pulled from M15, Innistrad, Theros, Ravinca, Shandalar and Zendikar; although there are many notable cards from these sets that are MIA, I was pleased overall with the number of cards in the pool and (for the most part) the cards themselves...don't expect to see any Planeswalkers.

The biggest complaint I have read is that you cannot start over once you have chosen your starting colors...this is both true and completely false. It is true, there is no in-game "NEW" game selection in the menu, however, you can easily shutoff the cloud-sync under the M15 properties on Steam and either rename or delete your current profile that's saved in the 'userdata' folder on your machine. This will start the game over as if you were playing for the first time. I have done this a dozen times already. Anyone who would like the procedure, I'll be happy to share, look me up on Steam "gageSCOTT" and I'll instant-message the instructions to you. Admittedly, I don't understand why WoTC made restarting the game this tedious, but it is an easy work-around none-the-less.

The menus are a tad slow and strangely unresponsive, but not to a point that they deserve the amount of complaints they've received. The play is about as fast as you would want it to be, and is fully tailorable in the options menu. The only criticism I have about the strength of the AI, is it's lack of ability to bluff and it's lack of ability to recognize a non-bluff; ex: if you send a 1/1 token, the computer 99% of the time will block it, no matter how much life it has, allowing to destroy a key creature with a simple trick in your hand. The AI does make some non-nonsensical plays from time-to-time, but typically this occurs after I have already amassed an overwhelming advantage and the game is already won anyway.

This is the best version of Magic to date. I have played more hours in 2015 than I have 2012, 2013 & 2014 combined. The games are fun, the AI decks are challenging (sometimes unfairly so) and for anyone to claim there isn't $9.95 worth of value here is insane. I understand the temptation to submit negative reviews when a game is flooded with negative comments from users, but they just aren't justified here. 2014 was a bigger money-grab, have to empty-slots just to play the custom-pack building portion of the game, which was the best part of 2014, and also the biggest rip-off. The iteration of magic allows you to do this from the start and through-out the entire length of the campaign, and beyond, and you do not have to pay another penny to do so. How can people justify complaining about this!?! I have found this game to be great fun, have built countless number of decks in multiple color combinations, and will continue to do so for some time to come...all for $9.95.
  70. Nov 9, 2014
    *NOTE* This review was written after release of the Garruk campaign, which also marked the release of updates to the core game. This review takes into account these changes.

I can understand why this game was hated, which is why I didn't purchase it until now. No longer are the dlc's necessary to unlocking all the cards, which was the game's biggest flaw (and quite frankly insulting). Upon seeing the expansion (and with it, updates), I became interested in seeing the changes. After beating the campaign, I had a lot of fun unlocking boosters for each of the collections and building decks with them. The difficulty was mostly a breeze on Mage level, which I chose because of many people's opinions that he game was hard. I can't see this game as very hard at all, but then again I have been playing for ~5 years pretty consistently. There were a couple of opponents I had trouble with, most notably Ajani and SLivers. The sliver deck was easily the hardest in the campaign, but after building a new deck I was able to beat it on the second try. Just fyi, I chose the B/G graveyard based deck and had a lot of fun with it. I had three spider spawnings by the end of the first chapter, which ended up being the mvp in many of my games.

I never had any troubles with the game "cheating" me like many people have complained about. I also don't see why people are complaining about how slow it is to unlock cards. It is actually really fast. In ~17 hours I have completed four collections with 90% in the last campaign collection. That is a huge card pool to create decks, and I've still got Alara and the Booster packs to collect. Considering it takes hundreds of hours in the previous games to unlock all the cards, I'd say this is pretty fast. Wouldn't you agree? Some people just don't think.

This game does have several negative traits to it, however. The UI is problematic at best, with bugs, slowdown, and low responsiveness too often. I can tell it was designed specifically for iPad, which is a bad thing considering it is on PC. I also hate how many of the cards in opponent's decks (or Garruk's deck in the expansion) are not available for deck construction. I can understand why they didn't (multiplayer balance), but that doesn't excuse this. They're programmed into the game, so they should be usable. It's also a shame they removed THG and alternate formats.

All in all, I'm having a lot of fun with this game. I love building and testing out decks, and this game has a decent-nice card selection. The flaws are ever apparent though, and 2013 + 2014 versions are still better. If you like deck building and a challenge, I can recommend this game as long as you have played the previous two versions first.
  71. Oct 27, 2014
  72. Feb 8, 2015
    Too bad there isn't worse score then 0.
    This is not even Magic, this is s**t. Poor tutorial, abysmal starter deck, terrible AI... I tried the game from the Humble Bundle and I feel so lucky I have at least spare a lot of money... I feel pity for the poor souls who bought this game at full cost.
  73. Aug 18, 2015
    Tried to get it to run, got a fatal error. Tried work arounds, got a fatal error. Installed patches, got a fatal error. I guess it's all for the best since this game has the ratings of a Rosie O'Donnell sex tape.
  74. Jul 10, 2015
    The game is fun at first. But eventually the AI gets to smart and seems to always draw what it needs. I have yet to play the AI when it has a bad shuffle. Where myself, horrible shuffles. AI continuously is able to put out more creatures than you. Seems to always be able to counter whatever deck you build. On top of it having insane cards you can not beat. So making coins in it eventuallyThe game is fun at first. But eventually the AI gets to smart and seems to always draw what it needs. I have yet to play the AI when it has a bad shuffle. Where myself, horrible shuffles. AI continuously is able to put out more creatures than you. Seems to always be able to counter whatever deck you build. On top of it having insane cards you can not beat. So making coins in it eventually becomes impossible unless you spend an insane amount of money buying cards. But still, poor shuffles. Expand
  75. BGM
    Aug 3, 2015
    Bad introduction to mtg, with nonsesne money sinks, bad online gameplay. Feels very empty and boring to play same game every year. Better to play paper version.
  76. Jul 19, 2014

1. CD-Action
    Oct 22, 2014
    Duels of the Planeswalkers is an invaluable tool for learning how to play Magic: The Gathering. [10/2014, p.64]
  2. Pelit (Finland)
    Sep 17, 2014
    The card game takes one step forward and two steps backwards. Free deckbuilding is a big plus, but when you consider that the play modes from old Duels are cut completely and some of the card pool available is behind an IAP paywall, the new Duels doesn't compare well against other, cheaper, slicker and - quite frankly - more fun competition like Hearthstone. Duels is simple not on par with the competition. [Sept 2014]
  3. games(TM)
    Sep 16, 2014
    The poor AI becomes increasingly apparent and even more of a chore upon completing the campaign. [Issue#152, p.114]