5.7

1. Jun 19, 2011
    I picked up Magic: The Gathering having never played a fantasy card game before. I'd read reviews on this site and could tell that people who have a background in these areas were disappointed with this release. With no frame of reference I had no idea what deck swapping was etc and I thought I'd give it a go regardless. To be honest, I'm getting bored with the usual racing, RPG, fps, mmo games that flood the market and this looked to be something new. As a novice, the game is daunting. I didn't find the tutorials deep enough and I was left with many unanswered questions. After playing for a few hours and the basics under my belt I began to defeat my opponents. There is a surprising amount of strategy and tactics within this game and I can see why there are books and forums flooded with tips. I'm still a long way off from going online and going head to head with a pro, but I'm really enjoying this game. The interface is very easy to understand and I love the subtle soundtrack. I can see myself playing Magic: The Gathering for months to come and highly recommend this to anyone who wants to try something that doesn't require W, A, S or D. Expand
  2. Jun 25, 2011
    Excellent $10 demo with more goodies than you can shake a stick at. Yes I said Demo because it feels like there's more that should be here "Like a Custom Deck Builder" that everybody and his mothers brothers sisters uncle is screaming for. But, at any rate you get some fine fun for $10. I've had it a week now and unlocked 98% of the cards (without cheating and buying them I might add). There's lots of balance here and no real one deck that is all powerful and can't be beat. Though in this version it does feel like there is a lot of SCRIPTED AI games. Especially that Archenemy one and just the general feel of things when every single game the AI gets the same cards over n over and of course especially the ones that can screw you over good. My favorite deck is turning into the Elves deck as there's some cards in there I think many overlook like the +1/0 for EACH ELF creature on the table. I've won countless games using this card when I have the table full of elves in the teens to 20's because of a couple of other cards like "for every elf on the table put out a 1/1 elf card. Then the elf cards that just tap and you get a 1/1 elf card and then all the elf cards in general. They have a */* TRAMPLE card (four of them in the deck) based on # of elves on the table that can turn into 20/20's in no time flat, if only there were a way to put wings on them. ;) They have this one archer card that is also */* based on # of elves on table that can just tap itself and attack any flyer on the opponents side. Doesn't ever have to enter combat and can destroy pretty much a card per turn. No other deck has this kind of power imho. You can have your 11/11 and 10/10 junk cards that cost a fortune these elves are serious.
    Of course there's some bug issues and lockups like everytime you press on Leaderboard it crashes to decktop, sometimes during battles the game appears to freeze up. But, if you're willing to sit there for FIVE minutes it will unfreeze. Strange happenings during battles with the cards not doing what they say or cards just disappearing intot he graveyard for no reason.
    Be prepared though as I said for LOTS of SCRIPTED games against the AI. That Archenemy game is so frustrating I would have kicked my cat if I had one. ;)
  3. Nov 20, 2011
    As someone who played MTG a long time ago and enjoyed it but will not commit to building an advanced collection anymore I was delighted to receive a product allowing me to occasionally jump into the amazing world of Magic: The Gathering for a reasonable price. The game provides a great platform for duels in many modes (1v1, 2v2, archenemy) both in single and multi player. It offers some basic campaigns and puzzle challenges and ability to play on-line using basic decks with unlockable cards. All this is served in neat and functional environment. The game has a simple aesthetic style, nice music and decent UI. I recommend this to all those who want to try what MTG is without either paying a fortune or committing a great deal of time - the most important thing about this game for me is that it gave me hours of intelligent FUN! Expand
  4. Nov 27, 2011
    It's perfect for all who don't want spend a lot of money for cards!
    It's not correct tell: "you can't do your deck", because this is a game that want to teach you how do a deck and what deck you shall to buy in the real life!

With adds, this games give you 100 hours of fun!
  5. Jun 16, 2011
    I hadn't played M:TG for about 15 years so my memory was a little shaky going in. The game quickly brings you up to speed with tutorials, and then lets you play. The 10 decks it comes with are all very good and play very differently from one another. Campaign mode is good, as it lets you get a feel for each deck as you play against them. Computer can be a bit cheesy at times, to the point where it almost feels like they're not playing by the same rules you are. The best aspect of this game is definitely the multiplayer. There are 3 different game types which you can play with friends or random players. All and all, it's a very accessible way to get into (or back into) Magic: The Gathering. It really brings all the fun of the card game for a fraction of the cost, and without having go to dank comic book shops on gaming night to compete with the "regulars." Expand
  6. Dec 25, 2011
    With the addition of the Archenemy campaign, and being able to play as the arch-enemy online, as well as the two-headed giant mode, I found my $10 was well spent. The game is a lot of fun for magic fans, well-balanced, and the DLC is worth the buy for different styles of play, (I found that the Dark Heavens deck suited me very well.)

I only wish they would allow us to decide how much mana
    is in a deck, choose which cards we want to add from other decks, and how to spend mana on the battlefield. I haven't had any problems with not being able to block or not being able to cast instants at the appropriate times, so I am not sympathetic towards those that do. This was probably addressed in a patch before I purchased the game.

I would give this game a 9, but the User Score is always inaccurate, as far as I can tell, and the critics whine a lot less, directing negative attention at specific flaws that were not fixable.
  7. Jun 19, 2011
    D2012 is what the old duels game was always meant to be; sharper graphics, faster loading times, and the decks are well balanced for once! and not your typical rock-paper-scissors balance either, every deck has a fairly equal chance of beating any other deck, and there are ten to choose from. Each with it's own unique qualities and mechanics that really add to the 'flavour'. If you are uncertain do yourself a favor and try the demo - it's free - and see for yourself. 9/10 Expand
  8. Aug 28, 2011
    Gmae is lots of fun. Just to name a couple of things i love about this game is that I can play alongside my friends instead of just fighting them. Also I like how I don't have to buy real cards or anything because it is so much more of a hassle IRL.

1. Aug 11, 2011
    For a paltry 10 bucks though, there's plenty here to enjoy, and the new cards and decks make it a worthy upgrade for those who own last year's Duels of the Planeswalkers. [Oct 2011, p.81]
  2. Aug 8, 2011
    Great card game, and dangerously addictive, but fails to realise the potential of both the Magic system and platform. [Sept 2011, p.70]
  3. Aug 7, 2011
    A faithful adaptation of Magic: The Gathering that offers something for players old and new, hindered only by design and presentation inconsistencies. Good value for money.