3.2

1. Sep 8, 2011
    This is hardly a free to play game. It's more like a demo with benefits. The first and only free 5 mission chapter took about 30 minutes to complete. Only one of the cards I was awarded for completing the chapter was even compatible with the color I chose. Multiplayer is near impossible to win due to people willing to pay for gold and booster packs to acquire more powerful spells. BecauseThis is hardly a free to play game. It's more like a demo with benefits. The first and only free 5 mission chapter took about 30 minutes to complete. Only one of the cards I was awarded for completing the chapter was even compatible with the color I chose. Multiplayer is near impossible to win due to people willing to pay for gold and booster packs to acquire more powerful spells. Because of this, the game very quickly loses its "free to play" replay value. I've also experiences some bugs, such as my deck of 40+ cards being registered as incomplete, and the icons displaying turn order not appearing in their bar. In spite of this, I think this game could have some great potential if it became a little more free-user friendly and a little smoother in the programming. Expand
  2. Mar 14, 2011
    Free to play games always win a place in my heart as a special effort. These games attempt to break the flawed model of black-box games, allowing people to see what they're getting into. With so many bad games out there nowadays, this is a great way to win customers. League of Legends is a shining example of how this model works - and works well. If you make a good game as a result, youFree to play games always win a place in my heart as a special effort. These games attempt to break the flawed model of black-box games, allowing people to see what they're getting into. With so many bad games out there nowadays, this is a great way to win customers. League of Legends is a shining example of how this model works - and works well. If you make a good game as a result, you will be generously compensated for it.

The core game of MTG:T is very well conceived and implemented. Where it breaks down completely is in the pricing and in taking the opportunity to innovate.

Micro-transaction games are awesome, but their current cost for boosters and booster boxes is a blatant cash grab and prohibitively expensive.

I think there should have been some kind of persistent element to your creatures, spells and items in the game. So that between matches, they can grow. Each "card" at that point becomes a unique creature with stats that improve the more you use that specific card. That would also compliment the micro-transaction concept by allowing you to purchase improvements for them between games.

Lots of missed opportunities. Will they take them?
  3. Feb 6, 2012
    Totally bugged game, it is so hard to play it enough without encountering critical bugs that I can't still understand if it is a f2p or just a demo, but I bet on the latter. Unfortunately the idea was good.

1. PC Gamer
    Mar 24, 2011
    Tactics adds layers of depth, but the cost of booster packs quickly makes a mockery of the "free-to-play" label. [April 2011, p.77]
  2. Mar 7, 2011
    Magic The Gathering Tactics offers a fresh and original take on the collectible card game. The new elements make the game both tactically challenging and very entertaining. But unfortunately the game is plagued by bugs, mismangement and a severe lack of communication from the developers, making it still an unfinished product.
  3. Mar 4, 2011
    Magic the Gathering Tactics is a very well-designed tactical game surrounded by a mediocre economy and bad supporting interface. The skeleton is sound, and if SOE improved the musculature and skin, MTGT could be the six million dollar game.