Mixed or average reviews- based on 20 Ratings
Sep 9, 2012Avoid like the plague.
Where do you start for something this bad? Lets start with the gameplay. Gameplay is like most TCG. Meaning it's bad, very bad. Balance among decks are often decided to be 'balanced' due to the flawed rock paper scissors ideas that so many games fall into. This means that 90% of games will be decided as soon as you start. If you have the counter to something, you win. If not you lose. The other 10% is decided by the luck of the draw, with both players not counting on skill, but luck to pull them through.
This creates decidedly uninspiring gameplay, with both losses and wins feeling equally empty and pointless
Then you have the price. Cards that are worth anything are often more expensive then their physical counterparts, thanks to the infection of bots in the trading. Even then, a second tier pauper (Commons only) deck will cost you anywhere from $15- up to $100. Standard decks cost anywhere from $70-$500. A deck is made up of 75 virtual cards. That isn't including the $30 a pop events, or the super expensive stuff (There are single virtual cards that sell for over $200).
And last but not least, the entire client is just.... bad. Those of you lucky enough to be alive during the 90's, would remember the amount of crapware that came out around that time. Games like Snakes and ladders badly drawn, programmed and shoved onto CD's to fill up whatever magazine or cereal it was trying to entice you to buy. This game looks and feels exactly like those. Trading is possibly the worst system in any game ever, the entire UI looks like some prealpha rubbish created by a 3 year old on crack, and the thing is generally slow and confusing to use.
As a final nail in the coffin, is the retarded moderation, the only game, including stuff designed for 3 year olds' which censors out the word 'piss'. The entire censorship and over zelous moderators smells of a bunch of 5 year old girls who haven't grown up enough to realize that people might say and do 'Boo boo's'.
Actually, scratch that thought. Most 5 year old girls would be insulted to be compared to these guys.
In conclusion, there is nothing good about this game, nothing, It's a place for fat nerds to high five each other because they spent waaaay too much money on what is basically a lottery with priddy pictures.
Avoid at all costs.… Full Review »
SteveA.Dec 19, 2007I only gave this game a 1 as it is really the only option as far as online collectible card gaming goes. The game itself is great, everything else is atrocious. The server goes down constantly as it cannot support more than about 2500 people at a time. Release events rarely occur because lag becomes worse and worse as more users log on around release time. The user interface is at best unintuitive and in some areas downright confusing. We've been promised version 3.0 for the past two years and it has been consistently delayed. Accounts can be banned without review and without prior notice on the part of the player, and whole collections erased.… Full Review »
Nov 10, 2012For those of you who have fond memories of playing MTG, and wanted a way to get back into the game.... RUN AWAY NOW.
The current MTG meta has become less about skill, and more about 'How deep can you dig into your wallet'. Thanks to the money grabbing attempts of late, decks have gone up in price, and the entire experience feels like YGO.
Sadly MTG is no longer the bastion of fair good TCG's… Full Review »