6.6

1. Jul 20, 2013
    If it just had some kinda of changeable layout i could have found this game a little bit more enjoyable, but with only the Xbox controller as my only means of playing I guess I have no choice but to settle.
  2. Apr 7, 2013
    Not as good as previous versions of Magical Drop but still good fun. I've not been able to get a network game, i'm guessing because not many people are online when i'm playing but offline team battles are super fun. If you want another party puzzler to play with some mates you can do worst than adding this to the collection.
  3. Jan 23, 2013
    I bought Magical Drop 5 the day I saw it on sale on Steam. At the time, for myself, along with several other people, the game was unplayable. Hard crashes every couple of minutes to the point where we couldn't even have time to beat the first 2 levels in story mode, online was completely out of the picture, etc. The dev studio spent an extensive amount of time and energy keeping in touch with those of us that had problems and pushed out ~5 patches in maybe 2 weeks. Even having issues after that, they had me provide detailed crash data with a debugger they provided. A month later, the game runs perfectly for me and everyone else that I've heard was still having crash problems. Despite the rocky launch, Golgoth is an exemplary show of developers listening to their players and committing to fixing everything they possibly can and adding content post release for free. Even after the bug fixes, they're working on adding new online modes and a single player endless mode. I played a ton of Magical Drop 3 and this is my new favorite version. If you enjoy the Magical Drop series, you're missing out by not buying 5. Expand
  4. Nov 18, 2012
    I bought the game on the day one because i'm a fan of Magical Drop 3. i took the time to read all reviews here, and i'm currently thinking that the game is good and very fun. i'm just expecting be able to play online match correctly and it seem many fix and patch are apply by the game developer. I recommand this game to all people who like puzzle games.
  5. Nov 18, 2012
    Classic game retains most of the gameplay, but gains no ground and is clearly not ready for release.

Story mode is trivially easy on "hard," the new characters are terribly designed and illustrated, the translations are garbage, the story and dialogue are beyond inane, the game is buggy and crashes, and doesn't support most gamepads. There is also typos and missing content.
  6. Nov 18, 2012
    Terribly buggy on launch, and compared to MD3 half the content is missing (no puzzle, no hermit, no high priestess etc). In short: no configurable controls, painful default layout, atrocious graphics here and there, weird characters in labels, overflowing text problems, stupid AI (even with the hardest mode), long load times, unusably broken online play, just to name a few.
  7. Nov 17, 2012
    There is Golgoth studio's first release. Too hurry to release, so many bugs are appeared. but it's keep solving faster. MDV has nice FullHD 2D graphics and awesome Soundtracks. And samely funny as MD3 or MDF. If you're fan of Magical Drop, i recommend highly.
  8. Nov 17, 2012
    Competitive puzzle games are by far my favorite thing in the world, and Magical drop 3 ranks as one of the best puzzlers there is. I've been long awaiting the day when this genera would finally make a comeback and when I heard about Magical Drop 5 I was hoping that day would finally come. And it hasn't, really, but not because magical drop 5 is a bad game, it just had a very bad launch. If you're wondering weather you should buy this game or not, first ask your self how much you love magical drop, if the answer is anything less than "a whole bunch" give it a week or so for the devs to fix the translation, tighten the balance, and get the online less wonky. But if all you want from this game is a new magical drop, buy right away. The only actually gameplay problem I have noticed is the lack of some of the more colorful characters (emperor and hanged man and very sorely missed along with a good chunk of the characters from MD3). On the upside, what's left of the cast actually feels very balanced, save for Death being a little too good, and fool being a little too bad, unlike in MD3, where a few characters would just wreck everyone else. Also included is effectively another puzzle game in the ghost lop characters, who don't feel particularly balanced, but the devs seem committed to working with the community to fix that, as well as all the other bugs so far. In short, if you can put up with the bugs and don't mind forgoing online play for the time being, buy this game. If you're not a huge MD fan, keep an eye on this, and when it's more stable, pick it up. Expand
  9. Nov 17, 2012
    Many bugs but lot of fun, nice graphics and cool soundtrack...(only 10 bucks)

A little disappointed not to be able to fully enjoy the online experience but there is no doubt that all problems will be solved quickly.
  10. Nov 16, 2012
    "For over a decade, I waited for the next Magical Drop game to be released in the series and not on a cell phone. Then one day, out of sheer coincidence, I did a Google for Magical Drop 5 and saw results. Impossible!?!, I said. E3 2011, Golgoth Studios, UTV? No one told me..."

I was doing private beta for the game months before the release. The game was far from ready to be released in
    my opinion ( I was finding many issues with bugs, exploits and balance), but I'm glad it was because more players finding exploit, bugs and addressing concerns helps to speed the progress of the final product. That being said, I can't review the game in its entirety or at all tbh. My review of the game will be in comparison to MD3 and this is in terms of gameplay, balance and modes. Let me be clear that I'm a hardcore MD3 player, which is why I nagged the developers to let me test months ago before the release and I want this game to be on par at least with MD3. I have great passion for MD3 and when I heard MDV was coming out a year ago, I wanted to make sure whoever was in charge knew what they were doing. I did not want this game to turn out like MDF or like one of the cellular versions. I wanted this game to be awesome and I've waited over a decade for another Magical Drop game. Other players should definitely let their first impressions (I did) be known so that we can work on a better product. Golgoth is literally working round the clock to make this game enjoyable and are listening to all feedback and I'm always in contact with the developers. I'm not going to deny that the game needs a lot of work and is nowhere close to MD3 atm. However, I hope MD3 players will be patient (you waited over a decade) for a new Magical Drop and give Golgoth a chance to make this work.

I encourage other MD3 veterans to try the game on Steam and provide feedback as well, even if its bad. Feel free to check some of my MD3 vids on my channel at www.youtube.com/SF2Guile Just so you know I
  11. Nov 15, 2012
    Magical Drop 3 was one of my favorite puzzle games of all time. It's simple but fast-paced, and it's surprisingly deep. I didn't even know this game was coming out, so I was very excited to see it on Steam and picked it up immediately.

Magical Drop V has been something I've wanted for a long time, but sadly, it's a huge step backward for the Magical Drop series. It's definitely worse
    than #3 in all aspects, and I'd even put it behind #2. The gameplay works sufficiently well, HD graphics are nice, and the music is mostly unchanged. Unfortunately, the controls are bizzare, the single-player mode is lacking, there are fewer characters, and the game must have been translated by a third-grader (insultingly bad at times).

The inclusion of a different puzzle game's mechanics is interesting. I couldn't figure it out, though.

If you're interersted in this, I'd highly recommend looking up Magical Drop 3 instead. It was a Neo-Geo game, but there have been a few ports. Magical Drop fans will be disappointed. It's still a decent action-puzzle game, but it's far short of its potential.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Jan 10, 2013
    There's the potential for a great competitive puzzler here, but the missing features, along with the iffy odds of actually connecting to an online game without something getting mucked up, make Magical Drop 5 impossible to recommend.
  2. Dec 6, 2012
    Magical Drop V had a lot of promise. With a simple mechanic of matching three orbs to clear a board, you wouldn't think the developers could mess that up, somehow, they did. The AI is all over the place, with frustratingly hard difficulties to laughably stupid, easy difficulties. The online play would have been great if it weren't for the bad lag, and the game in and of itself would have been a really fun time if it hadn't been so sluggishly implemented.
  3. Nov 15, 2012
    If nothing else, Magical Drop V succeeds in featuring one of the most busted English translations I've seen in years. It's the closest the game comes to offering some genuinely entertaining '90s nostalgia.