Magicka PC

7.6

1. Apr 23, 2016
    Incredible hard and frustrating game. Never play it, if you don't want to go insane.
    The worst game I've ever played. Wish I never purchased it.
    -1,000,000,000,000/10
  2. Jun 24, 2015
    Magicka is a funny satirical button mashing game, it is very nice with its graphics and great music. However the game is full of DLC crap and it is a glitchy buggy game. The game is fun don't get me wrong but the controls are really confusing, trust me between a few months not playing it, I already forgot the controls which sometimes doesn't happen to me! Also the game is full of bloodyMagicka is a funny satirical button mashing game, it is very nice with its graphics and great music. However the game is full of DLC crap and it is a glitchy buggy game. The game is fun don't get me wrong but the controls are really confusing, trust me between a few months not playing it, I already forgot the controls which sometimes doesn't happen to me! Also the game is full of bloody DLC, I can never understand how game companies think we are so rich!

But overall it is a very funny game!
  3. Jun 10, 2015
    This game is a **** it sucks completly. You will spend the whole game listening to people speaking something in a non-sense "language" that means nothing. It's so annoying I couldn't play for more than 30 min.
  4. Mar 10, 2015
    Wow, what a total laugh this game is. It is all about frantic spell combinations on the fly as you try to escape each level of increasing complexity. It's much deeper than it appears at first glance. It's quite simply something you have to experience for yourself. This is a 2.5D spellcasting ARPG with the emphasis on combining 8 spell schools into 5 slots per casting, to affect andWow, what a total laugh this game is. It is all about frantic spell combinations on the fly as you try to escape each level of increasing complexity. It's much deeper than it appears at first glance. It's quite simply something you have to experience for yourself. This is a 2.5D spellcasting ARPG with the emphasis on combining 8 spell schools into 5 slots per casting, to affect and counteraffect what is being cast on you at high speed. You run around like a lunatic setting yourself on fire and healing enemies by accident until you get the hang of it, all to the ultimate effect of laughter and sheer desperation. I restate that the game is MUCH deeper than it looks at first glance, with the 8 aforementioned schools being further affected by many different types of robes that give specific boosts at the expense of specific drawbacks. In other words, this game has ENDLESS combinations to try out right at the start.This is a finely balanced, extremely well thought out game that gets top marks from me for inventiveness. It is all about desperately trying for that one spell combo that will keep you alive for just one more moment as the difficulty ramps up. i haven't had this much fun in a long time, with the GF exclaiming that she hasn't heard me laugh out loud at a game for quite some time. The game runs like a charm on my system, with most of the processing being in the spell effects as the maps and characters are quite simple. Nice music, HILARIOUS NPC's, maps just complicated enough to give you some obstacles in your mad dash to a safe spot so you can charge up your next powerful and untested spell combo. Oooops, electrocuted myself and healed the guy with the bag of bombs by accident, must start level over again. 20 minutes down the drain, seemed like 5.
    Next spell, I think I'll try 3 electro's 1 fire and one freeze. No wait, I should spray them first to maximize the electroshock. No wait, I sprayed myself, better heal. No wait, I accidentally combined heal with spray and now I have a fully healed wet guy point-blanking me in the face with a blunderbuss. Gaaaah, dead again, can't even wait to reload the level this is just so much fun. I simply have to rate this a 9 because that's just about as high as i go. I cannot wait to get good enough to take this to muliplayer, and I am drooling over the prospect of Magicka 2 which is coming out in mere weeks.

Most excellent indeed, should be played by anyone that values frantic mayhem against mobs most melodramatic and downright funny.
  5. Feb 9, 2015
    Magicka is a fantastic experience that is most fun with friends. You can play as a variety of robes, each with it's own weapon and staff. The campaign is fun to play, but the best part is PVP. The bugs are a major problem in the games and sometimes even prevent playing the game. Besides bugs, the game is actually really nice.
  6. Jan 19, 2015
    A very authentic action-packed game. The magical uses and combo's seem to be endless and the storyline and characters are really funny. This game is incredibly fun to play with friends on LAN or internet. I've been playing this multiplayer with a friend. Some battles we had to do over again for about 15 times. It might be just because we are not that good, or didn't discover theA very authentic action-packed game. The magical uses and combo's seem to be endless and the storyline and characters are really funny. This game is incredibly fun to play with friends on LAN or internet. I've been playing this multiplayer with a friend. Some battles we had to do over again for about 15 times. It might be just because we are not that good, or didn't discover the opponent's weaknesses quickly enough, but in my opinion the game is challenging without ever being frustrating. A rare combination. Expand
  7. Nov 28, 2014
    A brilliant game with the most innovative spell casting systems I've seen to date. Why can't more games be this creative? On the surface it seems simple, you get 8 elements and combine them into spells. This turns into hundreds of combinations though each with their own uses.

It's fun to play and the challenge of using the proper elements for a situation is great. It also has a ton of references that had me chuckling :D.
  8. Jul 4, 2014
    It's not perfect, but the gameplay is addictive and smart... it's an hard game, but in the good way, it takes time to master it, and you need to think about what you're doing. Really fun!
  9. Jan 31, 2014
    Combine your 8 elements into powerful magic and unleash an enormous number of combinations upon your enemies !!!! ... or your friends.

I think I never laughed so much playing a game (probably only Monkey Island made me laugh harder, but that was single player), so this is the funniest game to play with your friends !!! This is the funniest game where you can KILL your friends.... and laugh about it. Frozen in an ice cube, incinerated, electrocuted, crushed by giant stones, exploded by the electric ice wall of death... yes that's an actual magic combo you can create.
    This game offer so much possibilities you will not advance a single chapter in the story until you have killed your friends (or yourself ) at least 30 times, you'll enjoy hours of experimenting with magic combinations, trying to find the deadliest spell or the safest shield.
    The game is also full of easter eggs and references, I can assure you there are a LOT of them, from Star Wars to The Lord of The rings, from Castelvania to Tomb Raider, from Reservoir Dogs to Zelda, just play it and find them !

Magicka is one of the funniest, brilliant and enjoyable games you will ever play, the Swedish-english gibberish of dialogues will make you laugh for hours.

The only cons about this game is that it's often buggy and the graphics should, and could, have been done better.
  10. Jan 22, 2014
    El juego esta muy bien, es de magos y mezclar poderes es divertido, sobretodo cuando matas a tus amigos D Bueno, lo malo es que debes hacer el capitulo entero para que tu partida se guarde, algo que me parece muy mal. Lo recomiendo solo si vas a jugarlo con amigos y te gustan los juegos de magia. La duración puede ser variada, de 10, 15 a 20 horas, es muy innovador pero se repiten algunasEl juego esta muy bien, es de magos y mezclar poderes es divertido, sobretodo cuando matas a tus amigos D Bueno, lo malo es que debes hacer el capitulo entero para que tu partida se guarde, algo que me parece muy mal. Lo recomiendo solo si vas a jugarlo con amigos y te gustan los juegos de magia. La duración puede ser variada, de 10, 15 a 20 horas, es muy innovador pero se repiten algunas misiones. Expand
  11. Jan 3, 2014
    Highly enjoyable, mostly. The steam store and videos don't really do this game justice, I myself was deterred by the lack of any real HUD and the potentially featureless environments shown in gameplay videos across then internet. When I bought it in the Humble Bundle, it sat at the back of my library, ignored for a few weeks.
    Due to my impulse that I shouldn't buy a game in a bundle/pack
    Due to my impulse that I shouldn't buy a game in a bundle/pack and then never play it, I launched the game and discovered the amazing gameplay style. With the element-cimbining gameplay, this game offers a whole different perspective on "Magic" games. As opposed to casting the spell at the right thing at the right time, the focus of this game is the actual creation of the spell and the execution of it. While there are literally thousands of spells created by combining elements to give effects influenced by what the spell is made up of, there are "Magicks" that are particular combinations of elements that can be executed in a different way to create very particular results.
    The above forgives the minimal HUD (which, after a few breakings of the 4th wall, turns out to be deliberate) and the fact you don't seem to be able to translate the audio in the cutscenes from German, only read the subtitles. The infinite references to internet events and real life occurances are hugely amusing in parts and the characters in the game break the fourth wall constantly.

A successful effort from Paradox to show that graphics, HUD, a serious storyline and coop gameplay are not necessary in a game. A hugely enjoyable experience with only a few blips, strongly recommended.
  12. Dec 23, 2013
    The game is great! it have a very cool and funny history, the combos and magicks are fun to use and make a lot of sence too the only thing in this game that someone can complain about is the mechanic wich tis kinda of hard to learn at first
  13. Dec 17, 2013
    This is still the best PC game to come out in this decade.

It's not your average dumbed down handholding power fantasy, but you must be very incompetent at playing games and learning things for it not to click.

We need more games that don't treat the players as if they're all mentally challenged kids.
  14. Dec 11, 2013
    absolutely great game, it has a pleasing art style, unique magic system, it also has its moments when it comes to humor, I am wondering why its metascore is not higher to be quite honest.
  15. Nov 21, 2013
    Magicka um jogo ao mesmo tempo dramático e engraçado. muito divertido! A variedade de magias e o sistema de conjuração delas faz do jogo um item essencial para quem adora jogar entre amigos. O único porém o seu limite de jogadores online: 4 magos.
  16. Nov 19, 2013
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

(If the single player is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no multplayer) (If the multiplayer is better than the multiplayer, review this section as if it had no single player) Gameplay (2/2) Visuals/Story (1/2) (If the visuals are better than the story, review this section as if it had no story) (If the story is
    Single Player/Multi Player (2/2)

Gameplay (2/2)

Visuals/Story (1/2)

Accessibility/Longevity (2/2)

Pricing (1/2)

Wildcard (-1)

17. Nov 12, 2013
    This is a really fun game with unique mechanics and a great sense of humor. Its a challenging game that does not take itself too seriously after all dying and being killed by friendly fire are DEFINITELY part of the game. I highly recommend cooperative play but it is still fun in single player mode.

The graphics are great, the pace is quick and the sound is well done. Grab this when its on sale and you won't be sorry.
  18. Oct 28, 2013
    Lots of fun with other people. Single player... not so much. Because the bugs and roughness of the system is more noticeable. At least from my experience (although I believe they've fixed it since I played it).

Interesting and innovative spells system that makes sense in terms of how elements make up each spell. I thought it was rather tedious though, particularly when you're trying to cast as many spells as you can to keep up with the number of enemies... but perhaps part of that is because my strategy needs more work in terms of keeping enemies slowed or at bay.

Didn't really care much for the story HOWEVER, I do have to say that lots of scenes were highly entertaining and are clearly drawn from pop culture and the media.

Overall, a good game, especially in multiplayer, but I honestly wouldn't play it again after the first run through of the whole campaign.
  19. Sep 17, 2013
    Magicka is a fun game with an innovative magic system and hectic action. It can get *too* hectic with several players in co-op, to the point where you're killed inadvertently by your friends more often that you're killed by enemies, but that's half the fun, and frequent use of the revive spell is needed. The game has almost Monty Python-esque humor that works well with the style of fun inMagicka is a fun game with an innovative magic system and hectic action. It can get *too* hectic with several players in co-op, to the point where you're killed inadvertently by your friends more often that you're killed by enemies, but that's half the fun, and frequent use of the revive spell is needed. The game has almost Monty Python-esque humor that works well with the style of fun in the gameplay.

In the magic system, various elements can be added to a charge and then used in one of various ways, meaning you can make hundreds of custom spells on the fly. On top of this there are unique spells that require specific sequences to activate with special effects that must be found in books before they can be used. Using beam attacks feels amazing, and the mines send enemies flying in a very satisfying way.

This game is not for people that get frustrated by exploding in inexplicable, almost cartoonish ways, but rather for high-energy low-seriousness fun, alone or with one or two friends.
  20. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is very innovative, brings a fun magic mechanic. But this game have countless gliches, and the controls don't give you the best experience. There's better games to waste your money.
  21. Sep 2, 2013
    this game is hard cuz the screen is stack in some place and you just can't see your character and about that u can combine element is a joke, they all was designed by the developers, and in many level u must use them or u can't go forward, and some times u can't key in the right element, and u can't cancel that. and ur enemy kick u like a ball all a round the screen WTF is that.

yet

yet it's playable but suck in every single part, control is so bad cuz the combine element and camera is so bad.

even it gives a 75% discount it's not worth ur time in this
  22. Aug 22, 2013
    I'm trying to warn people against buying this game on Steam sale, too late for many of you I know. Magicka is a $1 indy game with production values way back from the age of the original Playstation. You will see it offered 'on sale' for about $7. Don't be fooled this is a low quality amateur affair. The game actually has a GREAT magic system at its core, its not ALL bad. If the developersI'm trying to warn people against buying this game on Steam sale, too late for many of you I know. Magicka is a $1 indy game with production values way back from the age of the original Playstation. You will see it offered 'on sale' for about $7. Don't be fooled this is a low quality amateur affair. The game actually has a GREAT magic system at its core, its not ALL bad. If the developers had any idea about graphics or programming (or humour) they could have gone on to build a good game around the good magic system. But they DIDN'T. PVP maybe ok. dunno. The single player experience however is simply TERRIBLE. The maps are bad, the core gameplay is bad, the writing is dreadful, and the 'humour' is tragically NOT FUNNY. There is no quick save system, so once you get to a tough boss be prepared for unlimited frustration as you die and then have to play the ENTIRE level to get to the boss again. Pure amateursville. If you are reading this you probably got suckered by me into buying it 'cheap' only to find out that it's not cheap. It's a rip-off. Probably one of the most effective Steam scams out there. You have been warned.

23. AWG
    Jun 25, 2013
    You can't quick save so if you die at the end of a level, you have to repeat it from the very beginning.
    You can't store things in your inventory (I mean, you do not have an inventory) so if you find a weapon you have to drop your previous one.
    You can carry two weapons, but you can only use your primary one. But the most important thing is: gameplay is terrible. You have to play this
    You can carry two weapons, but you can only use your primary one.
    But the most important thing is: gameplay is terrible. You have to play this game at least 30 hours just to memorize the commands and the main combinations of magics. Unacceptable.
    Humor and graphics are not bad and that's a shame because the rest of the game is really unplayable.
  24. Jun 23, 2013
    Terribly underrated game. Magicka is very fun to play, and eve funner with friends. The game is fun, challenging and exciting, with many different levels, enemies and elements you can combine in different ways to kill your enemies. Magicka is filled with fun refrences to almost every popular movie and game ever made. I recommend playing this game with your friends, it's a lot more funTerribly underrated game. Magicka is very fun to play, and eve funner with friends. The game is fun, challenging and exciting, with many different levels, enemies and elements you can combine in different ways to kill your enemies. Magicka is filled with fun refrences to almost every popular movie and game ever made. I recommend playing this game with your friends, it's a lot more fun than playing it alone Expand
  25. Jun 6, 2013
    nice game, but it seems like developers abandoned the game. it still has too many bugs and sometimes it gets extremely hard to pass some places in the game.
  26. May 25, 2013
    Most complaints about this game's controls or the bugs and glitches. The bugs were ironed out a short while after release, and although problems do exist, it's worth fighting through those to play the games (especially with friends).

The controls seem clunky at first, but that's mainly due to the fact that no other game has a similar control scheme. Yes, there are other dungeon scrollers that have spells, but no game revolves entirely about the interaction of those spells (and the lack of a mana bar); and once these are mastered, the game becomes incredibly fun to play.

It's worth buying at full price, but sales are often enough for it on steam that you can pick it up for $5 or $2.50. I'd recommend picking up the addon campaigns too, as they're cheap, but add large portions to the base game.

In the end, if the gameplay doesn't convince you, it's fun to play to guess all the references. From the wizards who say "ni" to the sword AND the stone (an amazing sword/hammer thing), you'll be able to nod to something.

And if you're not having fun playing single player, just play with friends. I've found it impossible to play a game with friends on skype, without bursting into laughter at our own stupidity.
  27. May 24, 2013
    UI for movement seemed really clunky to me. It looks and plays like an arcade game from the 70's. I like the concept of so many spell combinations but I only seemed to use a few of the combos to get the bosses down. The fighting is rather boring and repetitive and I do not recommend this game even at a low price.
  28. May 15, 2013
    This is a really good game plagued by confusing and complex controls. They take a while to get used to and i don't think i ever will as even after playing this game for 3 hours straight I still find myself unable to make split second decisions in combat with the awkward controls. That's this games biggest flaw. I know how to make so many interesting and cool spell combos, but i will hardlyThis is a really good game plagued by confusing and complex controls. They take a while to get used to and i don't think i ever will as even after playing this game for 3 hours straight I still find myself unable to make split second decisions in combat with the awkward controls. That's this games biggest flaw. I know how to make so many interesting and cool spell combos, but i will hardly if ever end up using them because i wont be able to enter them in combat fast enough. It just comes down to me spamming spells like steam and fireball because it takes two keys and not eight like some others. Using the qwerasdf keys for spells isn't the problem, its the Diablo like controls on the mouse that make this game a clunker and i sadly dont see how this game could have been made any other way unless you wanted to make this an arcade table game with joysticks and buttons (which would be badas*). Still i play this game so much as it is incredibly fun, especially with a group of friends. Its one of those diamond in the rough games that i would very much like to see a sequel of to work out its kinks. Expand
  29. May 4, 2013
    It is not a serious game and the game must not be taken very seriously. Mixing all these elements makes for some very interesting combinations and spells. However, the game executes this very poorly, I always struggle playing this game properly as it is stiff and sometimes I am fighting to control the character. Multiplayer lags out a lot for me and I can never seem to have a good timeIt is not a serious game and the game must not be taken very seriously. Mixing all these elements makes for some very interesting combinations and spells. However, the game executes this very poorly, I always struggle playing this game properly as it is stiff and sometimes I am fighting to control the character. Multiplayer lags out a lot for me and I can never seem to have a good time with my friends with it. There is a lot of potential in this game, I just feel it is wasted with all the bugs and clunky-ness. I wouldn't recommend this game. Expand
  30. Apr 20, 2013
    The game's concept and play are actually quite awesome. I really enjoyed the demo, which motivated me to purchase the game. Unfortunately, the demo is a very pruned down version of the full game. This meaning that I immediately noticed choppy game play once upgrading to the full version. I am playing on a brand new bootcamped mac mini, so sure, its not a haus of a machine, but it runsThe game's concept and play are actually quite awesome. I really enjoyed the demo, which motivated me to purchase the game. Unfortunately, the demo is a very pruned down version of the full game. This meaning that I immediately noticed choppy game play once upgrading to the full version. I am playing on a brand new bootcamped mac mini, so sure, its not a haus of a machine, but it runs diablo 3 just fine. Not Magicka? On top of this, the game is rife with bugs. Bugs, bugs, bugs everywhere. I didn't go a full stage without having to consciously avoid a bug. Now passive bugs, I don't mind, but bugs that get your character stuck constantly are quite the annoyance. I got stuck in a plethora of places and had to restart the levels. Not to mention, I got stuck in a casting bug at least a handful of times and had to completely reboot the game. The coders for this game were likely freshmen comp sci majors with no expertise in game coding at all. If the game wasn't wonderfully cheap, I would be complaining to get my money back. Having paid just around 3 bucks, its not a problem. I had fun whilst playing through the first time, but going back experiencing bug after bug, there is no going back. Expand

1. May 6, 2011
    The rich, luscious colors somehow make the world a lot more believable than games like Crysis 2 could ever be.
  2. May 6, 2011
    Magicka is a game that works especially well in cooperation. Single player experience is a good one but this game shows its true potential only when you play with friends, allowing for some great fun. A patched-up Magicka is most certainly worth getting to know. Even more, because it is a solid candidate for 2011's best game in its category.
  3. Apr 23, 2011
    A game that glorifies the use of fireballs and land mines. #WIN.