Magicka PC

7.6

1. Nov 12, 2013
    This is a really fun game with unique mechanics and a great sense of humor. Its a challenging game that does not take itself too seriously after all dying and being killed by friendly fire are DEFINITELY part of the game. I highly recommend cooperative play but it is still fun in single player mode.

The graphics are great, the pace is quick and the sound is well done. Grab this when its on sale and you won't be sorry.
  2. Mar 12, 2012
    Hilarious game in local co-op. If you can get 4 friends in a room with this game hooked up to a nice monitor, the fun only stops when the game ends. Must buy!
  3. Nov 27, 2011
    Alot of great concepts but also unused potential. I loved the tutorial, where we had to use right elements to solve the puzzles... but we never saw anything like that in the game itself. This game could be perfect, but ended up being too hack-and-slash'y, linear, and way too short. Its still a good game, but it could be so much better.
  4. May 14, 2012
    If you're like me and you bought magicka on launch, I don't blame you for hating magicka. The launch was probably one of the worst for recent games, with it being unplayable for about a week or two. If you bought the game after this or had patience in it like me then you will find the game a very rewarding and unique experience. The skill cap is high while the game is easy to pick up.If you're like me and you bought magicka on launch, I don't blame you for hating magicka. The launch was probably one of the worst for recent games, with it being unplayable for about a week or two. If you bought the game after this or had patience in it like me then you will find the game a very rewarding and unique experience. The skill cap is high while the game is easy to pick up. Magicka is a great game to paly with friends as well, weather you are pvping, doing the campaign or doing the survival modes. The amount of crappy DLC that was released for it at a high price was pretty damn disappointing unless you bought it all on sale (good chance you would have seen it was on sale a lot). Overall Magicka is a great game definately worth buying at this time, it was just a shame that some of its reputation was ruined due to the buggy launch and overpriced dlc with little free content. Expand
  5. Aug 10, 2011
    What some call the 'Wizard Suicide Simulator' Magicka is a gem of a game from Paradox Interactive. Hilariously good fun and best played with friends while under the influence. The magic combos will have you in fits as you play through the campaign. Unlimited play if provide through the matchmaking and multiplayer system, there's even a PvP system. Unfortunately what should have been aWhat some call the 'Wizard Suicide Simulator' Magicka is a gem of a game from Paradox Interactive. Hilariously good fun and best played with friends while under the influence. The magic combos will have you in fits as you play through the campaign. Unlimited play if provide through the matchmaking and multiplayer system, there's even a PvP system. Unfortunately what should have been a perfect 10 star outing has been marred by a lacklustre multi-player and matchmaking system that has been mostly fixed since the time of this review. I highly recommend anybody to check out the Steam Sales this Christmas if you've gotten this game yet. Expand
  6. Jul 21, 2011
    A brilliantly fun game with a very intuitive, unique and simple yet complex way of casting magic, by using a combination of 8 elements you can create your own spells to attack with, I enjoyed the humor and it's even better when playing with friends, but I would say only play with friends, because while it's fun, it's not nearly as good on your own. When I first got this there were a lot ofA brilliantly fun game with a very intuitive, unique and simple yet complex way of casting magic, by using a combination of 8 elements you can create your own spells to attack with, I enjoyed the humor and it's even better when playing with friends, but I would say only play with friends, because while it's fun, it's not nearly as good on your own. When I first got this there were a lot of glitches that ruined it, but I think these have mostly been ironed out now. it's only $10 which instantly makes this game worth trying. Expand
  7. Jul 22, 2012
    Funny Game mit sehr lustigen Zauberspruch-System :) aber es hat leider Perfomance Probleme ... :(
  8. Feb 9, 2011
    This is one of those games that are bugged to hell but still highly enjoyable. The developers seem to be working around the clock patching and fixing this so I won't give it too hard of a time over that. great game, def worth $10.
  9. Feb 23, 2011
    The best $10 and 10 hours I've spent this year. Awesome gameplay that focuses on combining magic elements in various ways. Humorous plot and characters. CO-OP(omg). This game rules in so many ways.
  10. Mar 8, 2012
    Best "gauntlet" type game ever made. Magicka is fun,addictive,innovative and cheap. It cost mere 10 Euros or Dollars. Buy this game! Thats an order!
  11. Feb 7, 2011
    I can't give it a 10, because the bugs are certainly not negligible. However, developers seem to be conscientious about fixing their mistakes, so if bugs are an issue, just wait a few weeks. Once you get over that hump, I think we have a sleeping classic. Single player is wonderful, and is perhaps the only combat game where I feel not just clever, but creative. Exploration of spells is aI can't give it a 10, because the bugs are certainly not negligible. However, developers seem to be conscientious about fixing their mistakes, so if bugs are an issue, just wait a few weeks. Once you get over that hump, I think we have a sleeping classic. Single player is wonderful, and is perhaps the only combat game where I feel not just clever, but creative. Exploration of spells is a joy, and every new discovery feels like a game changer, yet it still manages remarkable balance. Multiplayer is a wonderfully chaotic affair chalk full of mistaken explosions, accidental earth-shattering combos, and general mischief and mayhem surround a deceptively deep game. In all the insanity, dying a gruesome death can actually be MORE entertaining then the killing. Getting used to the controls takes a little effort, but once you are, you get a real sense of concocting spells, as opposed to merely pressing a button. Tie this together with a thin story with just enough to keep the action moving, and some light humor elements, and you have one of the best 10 bucks you have ever spent. The only other complaint I could possibly have is that it needs to be longer, but I have yet to jump into the challenge mode. Long and the short of it? Buy this game now so you can say you did before it became a classic, must-have title. Expand
  12. Feb 6, 2011
    So i bought this game without any high expectations at all. But it has turned out to be one of the most fun games i have ever spent money on. It is WELL worth the $9.99 and i would have paid more if i knew it would be this good. Magicka combines the elements (no pun intended) of humor, action, and teamwork into a masterpiece. I have only had it for a week and i've already played about 30So i bought this game without any high expectations at all. But it has turned out to be one of the most fun games i have ever spent money on. It is WELL worth the $9.99 and i would have paid more if i knew it would be this good. Magicka combines the elements (no pun intended) of humor, action, and teamwork into a masterpiece. I have only had it for a week and i've already played about 30 hours of it. There are a few bugs yes, but the devs are doing a great job of keeping the game up to date and patching it. I absolutely love the music, the scenery, the gameplay, the humor, (which has a lot of... "reference" jokes) and action. This is one of my new favorite games, and i expect others will enjoy it as much as i am. Expand
  13. Oct 4, 2011
    Should you buy it?
    Definitely, yes. If you're looking for a good game and yet don't want to pay a lot of money, go for Magicka. Even if you're still unsure about the bugs people mention all the time, wait a a month and get it later on - it will improve even further.
    I haven't had that much fun with a game in months, and especially not THIS type of fun. Go, try the demo, buy the game,
    Should you buy it?

Go, try the demo, buy the game, support great devoted developers and laugh yourself into oblivion!

Full Review: http://darkchaplain-anotherstory.blogspot.com/2011/02/magicka-review.html
  14. Jun 4, 2011
    I quite enjoyed it. Good value for the money although there have been a few annoying bugs.
    Nice light hearted game that hopefully encourages more indie developers to put out interesting, creative games.
  15. Jul 5, 2011
    First off...If you have performance issues on newer hardware, run the game in windowed mode and that solves them completely. It's not a big deal.

Secondly...Play with friends and use Steam's voice conferencing/chat functions while playing. Failing that, I would ask people around here to add you on Steam to play with you rather than try to join random games. Griefing would be a huge issue

Failing that, I would ask people around here to add you on Steam to play with you rather than try to join random games. Griefing would be a huge issue in a game like this.

Ok. With that out of the way. This game is so much fun!

The way you create your magic is awesome, the battles are challenging, the humour is great and the amount and quality of spells you have is actually quite impressive.

Even if you only have a slight interest in this, I would definitely recommend getting the complete pack.
    I was sitting on the fence about it and wondering if I would like the game. I am very glad I went ahead and bought it. It's a breath of fresh air and has a really old-school feel to it in terms of gameplay and challenge.
  16. Dec 23, 2011
    Cool game! When you are player in this game, you feeling "funny" and some "rage"
    Must buy!
  17. Jan 27, 2013
    This is an amazing party game to play with 2-3 friends and a mediocre single player experience. If you realize that you're buying a multiplayer game to share with your friends either online or at a LAN party you won't regret this for a second, but if you were misled into believing that this is some kind of single player RPG with in depth statistics and character customization you will beThis is an amazing party game to play with 2-3 friends and a mediocre single player experience. If you realize that you're buying a multiplayer game to share with your friends either online or at a LAN party you won't regret this for a second, but if you were misled into believing that this is some kind of single player RPG with in depth statistics and character customization you will be disappointed.

Taking it for what it is, a hilariously entertaining party game with a unique spell casting system and slapstick deaths as your more aggressive party members frequently kill their own friends, it deserves a 9/10.
  18. Mar 10, 2015
    Wow, what a total laugh this game is. It is all about frantic spell combinations on the fly as you try to escape each level of increasing complexity. It's much deeper than it appears at first glance. It's quite simply something you have to experience for yourself. This is a 2.5D spellcasting ARPG with the emphasis on combining 8 spell schools into 5 slots per casting, to affect andWow, what a total laugh this game is. It is all about frantic spell combinations on the fly as you try to escape each level of increasing complexity. It's much deeper than it appears at first glance. It's quite simply something you have to experience for yourself. This is a 2.5D spellcasting ARPG with the emphasis on combining 8 spell schools into 5 slots per casting, to affect and counteraffect what is being cast on you at high speed. You run around like a lunatic setting yourself on fire and healing enemies by accident until you get the hang of it, all to the ultimate effect of laughter and sheer desperation. I restate that the game is MUCH deeper than it looks at first glance, with the 8 aforementioned schools being further affected by many different types of robes that give specific boosts at the expense of specific drawbacks. In other words, this game has ENDLESS combinations to try out right at the start.This is a finely balanced, extremely well thought out game that gets top marks from me for inventiveness. It is all about desperately trying for that one spell combo that will keep you alive for just one more moment as the difficulty ramps up. i haven't had this much fun in a long time, with the GF exclaiming that she hasn't heard me laugh out loud at a game for quite some time. The game runs like a charm on my system, with most of the processing being in the spell effects as the maps and characters are quite simple. Nice music, HILARIOUS NPC's, maps just complicated enough to give you some obstacles in your mad dash to a safe spot so you can charge up your next powerful and untested spell combo. Oooops, electrocuted myself and healed the guy with the bag of bombs by accident, must start level over again. 20 minutes down the drain, seemed like 5.
    Next spell, I think I'll try 3 electro's 1 fire and one freeze. No wait, I should spray them first to maximize the electroshock. No wait, I sprayed myself, better heal. No wait, I accidentally combined heal with spray and now I have a fully healed wet guy point-blanking me in the face with a blunderbuss. Gaaaah, dead again, can't even wait to reload the level this is just so much fun. I simply have to rate this a 9 because that's just about as high as i go. I cannot wait to get good enough to take this to muliplayer, and I am drooling over the prospect of Magicka 2 which is coming out in mere weeks.

Most excellent indeed, should be played by anyone that values frantic mayhem against mobs most melodramatic and downright funny.
  19. Feb 8, 2011
    Great game lots of fun! haven't played anything quite like it, for such a small developer they sure do work hard to get those patches out within 24 hours... this game has been done very well... and they have left alot of room for expansion! the multilayer option is really what made this game come to life.. all the funny things to do, great fun... !!

ps thanks again, for releasing a

ps thanks again, for releasing a playable demo - I played almost 10 minutes of the demo and decided to buy the game. cheers
  20. Dec 14, 2011
    I really don't understand the critic score this game has. It has clever humor and really solid gameplay. It's a very enjoyable game with friends. Do yourself a favor and pick it up.
  21. Sep 10, 2011
    this is a great original game that take a short while to understand, but when you do it's really fun. The multiplayer options are really fun (especially the PVP). The only problem is the glitches and at times the campaign might be a bit annoying
  22. Mar 14, 2011
    If you have friends, Magicka will be the best 10$ you ever spent. You may think a game where the main objective is "accidentally blow yourself, your friends, and 20 bad guys 3 stories into the air" would be boring, but you'd be wrong. The game originally shipped with tons and tons of bugs and glitches, but those were fixed less than a day after it was available, so I guess no harm doneIf you have friends, Magicka will be the best 10$ you ever spent. You may think a game where the main objective is "accidentally blow yourself, your friends, and 20 bad guys 3 stories into the air" would be boring, but you'd be wrong. The game originally shipped with tons and tons of bugs and glitches, but those were fixed less than a day after it was available, so I guess no harm done there. The one complaint I can think of for this game is that magic combinations are in no way balanced. A QFQFAAS spell will do infinitely more damage than a rock spell. A rock spell also takes ~5 seconds to charge to full strength, while a beam spell will instantly deal greater damage than a rock spell. To make matters worse, a beam spell continually increases damage output the longer you leave a beam on an enemy. At the end of the day, two fully charged rock spells deal like 1/100 of the damage of a ten second long beam of energy. And that isn't even factoring in the potential for beams to be merged; that's just a single persons beam. Even with this grievous lack of game balance, this game will definitely give you many hours of playtime for a low cost. Expand
  23. Zri
    Apr 1, 2011
    Magicka is just plain fantastic. From the derpaderp speech of the characters, to the level and enemy design, to the just brilliant spell system. As soon as you get outside the tutorial, you run into a woman with a big gold exclamation mark over her head in good old RPG fashion, asking you to kill rats in her basement or something like that. You know you're on a winner when she getsMagicka is just plain fantastic. From the derpaderp speech of the characters, to the level and enemy design, to the just brilliant spell system. As soon as you get outside the tutorial, you run into a woman with a big gold exclamation mark over her head in good old RPG fashion, asking you to kill rats in her basement or something like that. You know you're on a winner when she gets attacked by goblins and the quest marker falls off onto the ground and you get down to some good old blowin' stuff up instead.

Best things about Magicka? No mana. Limited inventory (you can pick up a staff and carry a 'melee' item). No quests apart from killing the next thing in front of you. GREAT spell system, where you have 8 different elementals, each bound to a key, and you can combine them in any way you want to create spells, some of which just combine effects, some of which form unique Magicks.

Worst thing about Magicka is that the engine doesn't always perform as well as it could. That's all there is. It's a very hard game in places, but people, there's absolute simplicity in the rest of the game so you can focus on STRATEGY. Everything is quite straightforward once you figure out what the enemy's weaknesses are, and that's half the fun. (The other half of the fun is blowing up goblins in new and exciting ways.)

Summary: buy this game. Now.
  24. Nov 17, 2011
    It is a great game with a very humorous singleplayer aspect and especially multiplayer with friends, when you can get it to work, is fun as hell, as you have to not only look after killing yourself but also your teammates; and when you finally get your teamwork flowing you feel almighty. I have not tried anything like this gameplay and it feels very innovative to combine the elements toIt is a great game with a very humorous singleplayer aspect and especially multiplayer with friends, when you can get it to work, is fun as hell, as you have to not only look after killing yourself but also your teammates; and when you finally get your teamwork flowing you feel almighty. I have not tried anything like this gameplay and it feels very innovative to combine the elements to make different spells. For the cheap price, it is definitely worth it - but have some friends buy it too! Expand
  25. Mar 1, 2011
    Easily the best $10 I've ever spent on a game. Despite the early bugs, it was worth every penny. And the announcement of the expansion has me excited!
  26. Mar 15, 2013
    A great game that has improved greatly over time, whether it be bug fixes, the Zelda fairy, the humour, references, gibberish, the lot! A great game that I love spending time in, this game was made from an original and innovative concept, and with some very worthwhile DLC adventures, like "The Stars Are Left", be sure to it up sometime, preferably the complete collection on a common enoughA great game that has improved greatly over time, whether it be bug fixes, the Zelda fairy, the humour, references, gibberish, the lot! A great game that I love spending time in, this game was made from an original and innovative concept, and with some very worthwhile DLC adventures, like "The Stars Are Left", be sure to it up sometime, preferably the complete collection on a common enough Steam sale Expand
  27. Jul 4, 2014
    It's not perfect, but the gameplay is addictive and smart... it's an hard game, but in the good way, it takes time to master it, and you need to think about what you're doing. Really fun!
  28. May 30, 2011
    Remarkable example of a remarkable game. Unique and successful game play and controls that blow you away. Humorous story line with numerous easter eggs. Fun and extremely challenging ( but still possible) single player action packed game play, even better when played with up to 4 friends. A virtual "Hack n Slash" but with spells and "Magicks", the combination of 8 different "elements"Remarkable example of a remarkable game. Unique and successful game play and controls that blow you away. Humorous story line with numerous easter eggs. Fun and extremely challenging ( but still possible) single player action packed game play, even better when played with up to 4 friends. A virtual "Hack n Slash" but with spells and "Magicks", the combination of 8 different "elements" which all can create different unique spells by certain combinations add to the fun. Expand
  29. Nov 23, 2012
    This game is fantastic, despite technical limitations (the game could run more smooth and have more video options) this game is EPIC, endless fun and very cheap. Just buy it, worth every coin.
  30. Feb 9, 2015
    Magicka is a fantastic experience that is most fun with friends. You can play as a variety of robes, each with it's own weapon and staff. The campaign is fun to play, but the best part is PVP. The bugs are a major problem in the games and sometimes even prevent playing the game. Besides bugs, the game is actually really nice.

1. May 6, 2011
    The rich, luscious colors somehow make the world a lot more believable than games like Crysis 2 could ever be.
  2. May 6, 2011
    Magicka is a game that works especially well in cooperation. Single player experience is a good one but this game shows its true potential only when you play with friends, allowing for some great fun. A patched-up Magicka is most certainly worth getting to know. Even more, because it is a solid candidate for 2011's best game in its category.
  3. Apr 23, 2011
    A game that glorifies the use of fireballs and land mines. #WIN.