Magicka PC

7.6

1. Apr 5, 2012
    The game had a VERY rocky start. I bought the game when it was first released and it had a lot of glitches and bugs (crashes, black screens, etc). But after a year, they've REALLY fleshed out the game and fixed the bugs. I love the references to media culture. It makes the game a laugh a minute. The game isn't about button mashing, so people who couldn't get into the game because ofThe game had a VERY rocky start. I bought the game when it was first released and it had a lot of glitches and bugs (crashes, black screens, etc). But after a year, they've REALLY fleshed out the game and fixed the bugs. I love the references to media culture. It makes the game a laugh a minute. The game isn't about button mashing, so people who couldn't get into the game because of that need to learn to actually play a game. The game gives you a lot of different combinations of spells that drastically affect how the spell works and what it does. Mixing in the fact that you can have 4 people playing together AND their spells can combine to make different outcomes with higher levels of destruction make the game very replayable. That brings me to the reason why people probably won't like the game as much when playing co-op, it requires TEAM WORK. Friendly fire is on (which is good, because otherwise the game would allow you spam spells and not worry about hurting your team mate...meaning you could walk through the game). But thanks to the addition to different robes, you can form strategies between your team mates that make you need to think about what you're doing (which means no button mashing noobs). The game is solid and the plot is silly but fun. Play this game and keep your eyes peeled for easter eggs and references to everything from star trek to monty python. Expand
  2. Dec 30, 2012
    Strategic and funny when playing with friends. But there are a lot of bugs.
    It also has some good humor which is also sometimes stupid and ridiculous (internet memes).
  3. Feb 20, 2012
    I just picked this game up on steam for a whopping 80p with daily discount and a christmas voucher and i have to say its worth the full asking price, the game is funny, witty and the references to other games/movies are great. well its fun until near the end and then it gets incredibly hard, things kill you in 1 hit and the checkpoints can be far apart meaning 1 mistake or silly death andI just picked this game up on steam for a whopping 80p with daily discount and a christmas voucher and i have to say its worth the full asking price, the game is funny, witty and the references to other games/movies are great. well its fun until near the end and then it gets incredibly hard, things kill you in 1 hit and the checkpoints can be far apart meaning 1 mistake or silly death and its back 5 minutes. However all in all its a great game and well worth a play. Expand
  4. Mar 21, 2011
    For an indie game, pretty good. It has a unique gameplay system, is pretty hilarious, and has some great multiplayer. $10 might be a little much, though. But playing it using Steam or Skype voice chat with your buddies, and constantly accidentally murdering them, is priceless.
  5. Apr 24, 2011
    It's really fun to play with friends. Solo however it's pretty boring. It's one of those games that without multiplayer would be really boring and almost a pest to play.
  6. May 27, 2011
    Magicka is only $10. It might lack polish, but there is plenty of content and unexpected enjoyment in this title to justify that price and more. Itâ
  7. Apr 19, 2011
    Once you get into the feel, or spirit, of the game, things start to make a lot of sense, and the fun begins. There are plenty of places to die within a second or two if you're not on the ball, and it forces you to keep trying to innovate a solution. With all the spell combinations, there always is one.

But as the single-player goes on, there are some pretty annoying things: 1) long stretches where you don't get a save-game and have to replay a 10-minute sequence if you die; 2) ways to die that are not quite bugs, but just pure silliness; 3) you have to complete a level, or start from scratch. During one of the later chapters, it's just too easy to get thrown off the ledges and die, and you have to keep going and going, or start from the beginning - it becomes quite tiresome.

Still, overall, a good bit of fun, and the multiplayer is as good as the single.
  8. Jun 9, 2011
    Absolute hunk of crap. They released this game when it was ridden with bugs, no PVP of any sort, getting into a match is absolutely impossible, they are constantly putting new DLC on the market, yet I've failed to see them fixing bugs that NEED to be fixed.

Good concept, bad execution. Perfect example of what not to do with a game.
  9. Jul 10, 2011
    Has the potential for being great fun, but wastes it. It's gutting, because the magic system is wonderful. Aside from that: there seems to be no difficulty scaling for 4 players compared to 1, so the game is impossible in solo for a mere mortal like me. In co-op, every time you start getting warmed up there's another unskippable cutscene breaking the action apart -- there's no sign ofHas the potential for being great fun, but wastes it. It's gutting, because the magic system is wonderful. Aside from that: there seems to be no difficulty scaling for 4 players compared to 1, so the game is impossible in solo for a mere mortal like me. In co-op, every time you start getting warmed up there's another unskippable cutscene breaking the action apart -- there's no sign of the long continuous Diablo-style creature crawl that the magic system really deserves. And the hard sections are "annoying hard": the game takes control away from you by killing you or getting you grappled, such that some of the co-op players will spend large amounts of time either helplessly hammering the space bar or going "rez plx" rather than actually playing. Frustrating. Expand
  10. Dec 21, 2011
    A hilarious game, with a very creative and well implemented magic-casting-system. The story is fun and humorous but also short. In multiplayer this game is insane when everyone runs around "accidentally" teamkilling and trying their best at remembering a certain spell when surrounded by mobs. One thing I do not like about the game is the isometric viewpoint, which feels very limited inA hilarious game, with a very creative and well implemented magic-casting-system. The story is fun and humorous but also short. In multiplayer this game is insane when everyone runs around "accidentally" teamkilling and trying their best at remembering a certain spell when surrounded by mobs. One thing I do not like about the game is the isometric viewpoint, which feels very limited in multiplayer. On the other hand, the game is very cheap and is easily worth the money. Expand
  11. Mar 19, 2011
    Magica achieves something rather different in the gaming world. It's the only game I have ever come across that can be described as a 'glorious failure'. It's awesomely fun and amazingly broken. It seems so silly to be critical of a game that gives you so much for ten measly dollars. I had more fun with this game in a few minutes than I did with something like Dragon Age in 20 hours andMagica achieves something rather different in the gaming world. It's the only game I have ever come across that can be described as a 'glorious failure'. It's awesomely fun and amazingly broken. It seems so silly to be critical of a game that gives you so much for ten measly dollars. I had more fun with this game in a few minutes than I did with something like Dragon Age in 20 hours and at four times the price. The great news about this game is that it's innovate, creative, and there is nothing else out there like it on the PC. The sad news about this game is that it doesn't actually have an identity. It's best described as what happened when someone mixed an RPG fantasy setting with platform mechanics. Yes, the game remains horribly broken from a technical point of view. But the real problem with the game is that it doesn't mix the single player mode and the multi-player mode well, at all. It simply lacks any type of game play balance. It's either super duper easy or preposterously hard. Balance is always a challenge in any type of RPG MMO. And I cannot help but think that one of the reasons this game is so broken is because the developers bit off more than they could chew. If they had just focused on making a single player game this game might have been hailed as revolutionary. The same way if they had made what was essentially a multi-player game only. But as it stands it's just a mess. The thing is though that it remains a hilarious, fun, and enticing mess. I struggle on how to rate this game because a 3 (execution), a 6 (design), and a 10 (value) all seem reasonable depending on how one looks at it. Expand
  12. Feb 10, 2011
    Great idea, the magic mechanic is awesome, but overall an incredibly flawed game. You'll find yourself getting physically pinned with no hope of exit numerous times. Having a health bar that is indistinguishable from the health bar of an enemy is inexcusable. The lack of an inventory means you just pick up new things all the time, and removes any interest you would have in customizing theGreat idea, the magic mechanic is awesome, but overall an incredibly flawed game. You'll find yourself getting physically pinned with no hope of exit numerous times. Having a health bar that is indistinguishable from the health bar of an enemy is inexcusable. The lack of an inventory means you just pick up new things all the time, and removes any interest you would have in customizing the character.

Dying takes 10 seconds every time, as you wait for the slow faded word "defeated" to fade up on the screen, which is unskippable. The best part? Being frozen makes this process take LONGER. You have to wait longer to respawn if you died while frozen, as the whole game slows down.

Overall, mixing spells is an incredibly cool idea, but wait until Diablo III comes out, where you'll get that on top of an actually playable game.
  13. Mar 24, 2011
    A nice try, but doesn't quite do it. I'd complain more if it were $60, but for $10 it isn't terrible. However, that's not to say that it is good either. The controls are terrible, and the number of bugs makes me want to vomit. This game could have been great, and I hope people who make games can learn from this one, but alas, with all my hope and openness, it just didn't work out.
  14. Mar 16, 2011
    Magicka has a totally new concept for game play. Never seen anything like it, and it is fun. That said i give this game still rather low rating because it is hard, very hard. I have only played it single player and it appears as the game is made for co-op. A difficulty setting that would make single player easier, specially that bosses cant one shot the player and i would give this game a 9.
  15. Jul 5, 2011
    THE GOOD: The spell system is awesome. Spells are awesome. Did I mention spells are awesome? Good sense of humor. Cheap. THE BAD: Controls are sometimes wonky. THE UGLY: Trolls.
  16. Jun 1, 2011
    Would be a good game if it is playable. Even in windowed mode this game runs like I'm on Dial-up. (No, it is not my computer or connection that is doing it). The inability to map keys is another, inexplicable fail. But hey, it's only $10...
  17. Jul 3, 2011
    This game seems decent but it is hampered with perhaps the worst controls of any game I've played in my entire life. You have to hold down shift to do any kind of attack other than basic magic so it makes my hand hurt to play this game for a long period of time. You have to repeatedly tap the ASDFQWER keys with your left hand to cast your magic spells with up to 8 keypresses andThis game seems decent but it is hampered with perhaps the worst controls of any game I've played in my entire life. You have to hold down shift to do any kind of attack other than basic magic so it makes my hand hurt to play this game for a long period of time. You have to repeatedly tap the ASDFQWER keys with your left hand to cast your magic spells with up to 8 keypresses and possibly a shift key hold needed to be pressed to cast one spell. It requires at least three times as many button presses to play this game as any other game.

If you try to play with joystick it is much easier to do basic attacks, blocking, and so on but all except the most simple magic is ridiculous to cast with the stick. You sometimes have to move the right stick to 20 consecutive positions (no joke!) to cast a single spell. There is no way to customize the controls so that you can use both joystick and keyboard at the same time so that you could tap out on the keyboard to do the more complex spells.

Much of the difficulty of the game is a result of the ridiculous control structure. You will end up killing yourself and your party members plenty of times because of accidental attacks caused by trying to navigate the controls. That's not all though, there is also a tendency to have things that can just instantly kill you that can be quite frustrating if you are playing solo. You'll be fighting a guy and he launches you off a cliff killing you or you'll have to run up a narrow stairway in midair and if you make a joystick error you fall off and die. You will get trapped in a corner and be unable to move resulting in you dying. If you play multiplayer online this is not a problem since your teammate will just revive you, but solo you may have to repeat a long battle many times to survive and you'll need to reach the end of the level not just the next checkpoint to save your progress between sessions. If you have difficulty a level may take over an hour as you repeat a battle over and over.

Oh and one more thing... all the text is in English making this appear as an English game but the voice work in the game appears to be in a foreign language (German or Swedish maybe?) or something like that with English subtitles.

The game is buggy. When I hosted multiplayer a few times when I started the game the music started but the screen stayed totally black and I had to shut down the game. When I tried to modify the joystick controls the game crashed at least 7 times before I finally got it to work. Ultimately I was able to play though and it was enjoyable though clunky to control. There is a good deal of humor in the game. Some is related to references to games, movies, etc that younger audiences might not recognize, but it does add charm to the game.

I bought the game on sale for $3 and its certainly worth that for a few hours of unique entertainment, but don't expect the greatest game you have ever played. Its not here. I'd recommend other games action RPGs like Titan's Quest, Diablo II, Torchlight, or Dungeon Siege before this one, but this one can still be enjoyable for awhile.
  18. Jul 18, 2011
    Magicka, Hench the name, offers the elements we all know in daily life. And is now implemented in a realistic strategy like game where you have to combine elements in order to cast your spell. This offers space to experiment, but sadly causes frustration when you're in a tight spot or suddenly die. For $10 dollars you get an overall decent game, but not something you would play for hours on end.
  19. Apr 22, 2012
    Excellent idea. Good humor. Funny parody on the classics of Tolkien's story-telling. BUT - unbalanced: unbalanced gameplay, several tedious bugs which can be easily fixed (like jumping items), weird camera shift towards enemies which sometime can go beyond the viewable screen area and render you - well - stuck!
    No inventory, no level-upping, no stores, NO BALANCE - all these things
    No inventory, no level-upping, no stores, NO BALANCE - all these things would make the game 5 out of 5!
  20. Jan 22, 2014
    El juego esta muy bien, es de magos y mezclar poderes es divertido, sobretodo cuando matas a tus amigos D Bueno, lo malo es que debes hacer el capitulo entero para que tu partida se guarde, algo que me parece muy mal. Lo recomiendo solo si vas a jugarlo con amigos y te gustan los juegos de magia. La duración puede ser variada, de 10, 15 a 20 horas, es muy innovador pero se repiten algunasEl juego esta muy bien, es de magos y mezclar poderes es divertido, sobretodo cuando matas a tus amigos D Bueno, lo malo es que debes hacer el capitulo entero para que tu partida se guarde, algo que me parece muy mal. Lo recomiendo solo si vas a jugarlo con amigos y te gustan los juegos de magia. La duración puede ser variada, de 10, 15 a 20 horas, es muy innovador pero se repiten algunas misiones. Expand
  21. Jun 28, 2011
    After the first hour of the game, you'll be thinking that this game resembles Diablo, but not quite. The graphics are definitely not the best, or the better ones, for this era, but the game play is unique and innovative. You'll need to use your left hand (only the left) to come up with spell combination, and your right to cast, move around or to poke the monsters with whatever weapon youAfter the first hour of the game, you'll be thinking that this game resembles Diablo, but not quite. The graphics are definitely not the best, or the better ones, for this era, but the game play is unique and innovative. You'll need to use your left hand (only the left) to come up with spell combination, and your right to cast, move around or to poke the monsters with whatever weapon you are holding on to. It feels like the time when you've first learnt how to type, trying to go as fast and as furious as you can with your fingers. Simply put, you'll think that it's cool. However, after 5 hours of gameplay, you'll think otherwise. Ever heard of the nintendo thumbs? This is much worse than that. 5 hours of left-hand-spell-spamming, your hand will ache so muc h that you won't be able to play your piano or guitar for one whole week. Worse still, it's the same thing from the start to the end. All you really need is a few spells and you can clear all 12 chapters within 3 to 4 hours solo. It's repetitive, and worse still, its buggy. For 10 bucks, it seems fine, but definitely not a contender for something that's worth more than a day of your time. Expand
  22. Aug 22, 2013
    I'm trying to warn people against buying this game on Steam sale, too late for many of you I know. Magicka is a $1 indy game with production values way back from the age of the original Playstation. You will see it offered 'on sale' for about $7. Don't be fooled this is a low quality amateur affair. The game actually has a GREAT magic system at its core, its not ALL bad. If the developersI'm trying to warn people against buying this game on Steam sale, too late for many of you I know. Magicka is a $1 indy game with production values way back from the age of the original Playstation. You will see it offered 'on sale' for about $7. Don't be fooled this is a low quality amateur affair. The game actually has a GREAT magic system at its core, its not ALL bad. If the developers had any idea about graphics or programming (or humour) they could have gone on to build a good game around the good magic system. But they DIDN'T. PVP maybe ok. dunno. The single player experience however is simply TERRIBLE. The maps are bad, the core gameplay is bad, the writing is dreadful, and the 'humour' is tragically NOT FUNNY. There is no quick save system, so once you get to a tough boss be prepared for unlimited frustration as you die and then have to play the ENTIRE level to get to the boss again. Pure amateursville. If you are reading this you probably got suckered by me into buying it 'cheap' only to find out that it's not cheap. It's a rip-off. Probably one of the most effective Steam scams out there. You have been warned.

23. Jun 27, 2011
    I will be rating this a little lower than I think it should be just because it is far too highly rated right now. Magicka is actually quite good, if you can play it that is. Fun and interesting magic system with a very funny and entertaining adventure mode. All ruined by bugs, crashes and silly incompatibility issues. Most of my friends can't even run the game because of all the issues.I will be rating this a little lower than I think it should be just because it is far too highly rated right now. Magicka is actually quite good, if you can play it that is. Fun and interesting magic system with a very funny and entertaining adventure mode. All ruined by bugs, crashes and silly incompatibility issues. Most of my friends can't even run the game because of all the issues. Some even bought it only to find out that it simply won't work at all on their system even though they more than meet the recommended specs. I really have not had too many issues myself. I do have a crash here and there or an occasional graphic hiccup. The worste thing to be honest is that it is best played multiplayer yet is nearly impossible to play co-operatively. Even in the co-op campaign there is no way to turn off friendly fire. This would not be a problem in many games but causes no end of headaches in Magicka. With so many spells being area of effect damage, making a straight line completely across the map or just being experimented with, you will be killed constantly. Again in many games that would be okay but not in Magicka. Imagine you finally got the game to work after 3 hrs of changing settings and dealing with crashes. You finally get it working and 3 minutes into the game you get killed 5 times because while you're experimenting with spells so are your friends. Every time someone casts a damage spell they kill atleast 2 of their teammates. On top of being attacked by enemies. Some of these spells are hugely overpowered and yes very fun to watch untill you realize you not only destroyed all the goblins on the screen but killed all of your teammates too. Such a joke of a game at this point especially since they refuse to fix any of these issues because they are too busy pumping out garbage DLC. Save your money or buy something good instead. Expand
  24. Apr 7, 2012
    A pretty original and unique game, but it's not quite amazing. The game's most redeeming quality perhaps is its sense of humour and the way it parodies popular media, which eventually gives forth plenty of inside jokes. The gameplay is fairly straight forward, yet incredibly challenging. It's an adventure game at heart, but it's played from the bird's eye view. It can be played either soloA pretty original and unique game, but it's not quite amazing. The game's most redeeming quality perhaps is its sense of humour and the way it parodies popular media, which eventually gives forth plenty of inside jokes. The gameplay is fairly straight forward, yet incredibly challenging. It's an adventure game at heart, but it's played from the bird's eye view. It can be played either solo or co-op with up to 4 players in total. Each player takes a role of a wizard, and together they travel through various locations and battle different monsters. The combat mechanic is very unique, because each player is given 8 elements, which they can mix and match in a huge variety of combinations, creating all sorts of spells. One of the most notable things about Magicka is that itâ Expand
  25. May 5, 2012
    Great game idea with really bad execution. Magicka would crash constantly (even after over a year of patches) and slows the machine down like hell during co-op. The single player adventure has very unattractive storylines and repetitive spell play. By tapping the keys rapidly it's very easy to mix up and burn self when not instructed to. The only thumbs up is the friendly-fire duringGreat game idea with really bad execution. Magicka would crash constantly (even after over a year of patches) and slows the machine down like hell during co-op. The single player adventure has very unattractive storylines and repetitive spell play. By tapping the keys rapidly it's very easy to mix up and burn self when not instructed to. The only thumbs up is the friendly-fire during co-op. Mad fun when playing with friends (when it's not crashing). I would not go on and finish this game, but will watch for more titles from this developer. Expand
  26. Jun 9, 2012
    It has a nice theme and style. Although it is cheap, you can still play up to 4 players coop on-line.But it has quite a lot of bugs, at the very beginning. The graphics and effects are nice, but you may need a controller instead of a mouse to play the game, the messy control is a problem. A moderate-quality game.
  27. Jun 23, 2012
    This game has the potential to be extremely entertaining, varied, and pretty to look at.

Unfortunately, it is also pretty broken- the developers didn't fix the bugs before they started shipping out downloadable content, resulting in a game that bugs out far too often for even the most patient person, meaning you have to re play sequences that take really rather a long time; die in stupid ways that you didn't intend, and someties be unable to move on from a combat scene due to glitches. By all means, try out the free demo version available on steam- be warned though, if you're on a laptop it probably won't work. I spent an hour and a half just on getting my computer to make it run, and ended up with poor performance with fps of around 5. So make sure you have the stats you need first (Nvidia Geforce 8800 or later is recommended). I don't know how the multiplayer plays out, since the demo version doesn't have online play. I assume that's just as buggy as single player!!!
  28. Mar 7, 2013
    Magicka is a humorous adventure game in which you guide a wizard (with up to 3 friends) through a parody fantasy world where everyone speak bad swedish. The twist is that you combine different elements (fire, ice etc.) by yourself and then launch the outcome towards your enemies and/or friends. This leads to a huge arsenal of different spells and together with staffs and weapons make yourMagicka is a humorous adventure game in which you guide a wizard (with up to 3 friends) through a parody fantasy world where everyone speak bad swedish. The twist is that you combine different elements (fire, ice etc.) by yourself and then launch the outcome towards your enemies and/or friends. This leads to a huge arsenal of different spells and together with staffs and weapons make your character feel charmingly random. Problem is that playing this game with a gamepad is not recommended since the joystics are used to combine the spells and makes it slow and clunky in comparison to keyboard. And as the game offers an option to play from one computer you should plug in 4 keyboards for it to be at it's best...

Another issue is with the parody side of the game; it makes the game so much better but if you're in search for more serious adventuring then getting constantly killed by your teammates might not be the thing for you.
  29. Jun 6, 2013
    nice game, but it seems like developers abandoned the game. it still has too many bugs and sometimes it gets extremely hard to pass some places in the game.
  30. AWG
    Jun 25, 2013
    You can't quick save so if you die at the end of a level, you have to repeat it from the very beginning.
    You can't store things in your inventory (I mean, you do not have an inventory) so if you find a weapon you have to drop your previous one.
    You can carry two weapons, but you can only use your primary one. But the most important thing is: gameplay is terrible. You have to play this
    You can carry two weapons, but you can only use your primary one.
    But the most important thing is: gameplay is terrible. You have to play this game at least 30 hours just to memorize the commands and the main combinations of magics. Unacceptable.
    Humor and graphics are not bad and that's a shame because the rest of the game is really unplayable.
  31. Feb 7, 2011
    I can't give it a 10, because the bugs are certainly not negligible. However, developers seem to be conscientious about fixing their mistakes, so if bugs are an issue, just wait a few weeks. Once you get over that hump, I think we have a sleeping classic. Single player is wonderful, and is perhaps the only combat game where I feel not just clever, but creative. Exploration of spells is aI can't give it a 10, because the bugs are certainly not negligible. However, developers seem to be conscientious about fixing their mistakes, so if bugs are an issue, just wait a few weeks. Once you get over that hump, I think we have a sleeping classic. Single player is wonderful, and is perhaps the only combat game where I feel not just clever, but creative. Exploration of spells is a joy, and every new discovery feels like a game changer, yet it still manages remarkable balance. Multiplayer is a wonderfully chaotic affair chalk full of mistaken explosions, accidental earth-shattering combos, and general mischief and mayhem surround a deceptively deep game. In all the insanity, dying a gruesome death can actually be MORE entertaining then the killing. Getting used to the controls takes a little effort, but once you are, you get a real sense of concocting spells, as opposed to merely pressing a button. Tie this together with a thin story with just enough to keep the action moving, and some light humor elements, and you have one of the best 10 bucks you have ever spent. The only other complaint I could possibly have is that it needs to be longer, but I have yet to jump into the challenge mode. Long and the short of it? Buy this game now so you can say you did before it became a classic, must-have title. Collapse

1. May 6, 2011
    The rich, luscious colors somehow make the world a lot more believable than games like Crysis 2 could ever be.
  2. May 6, 2011
    Magicka is a game that works especially well in cooperation. Single player experience is a good one but this game shows its true potential only when you play with friends, allowing for some great fun. A patched-up Magicka is most certainly worth getting to know. Even more, because it is a solid candidate for 2011's best game in its category.
  3. Apr 23, 2011
    A game that glorifies the use of fireballs and land mines. #WIN.