Magicka PC

7.6

1. Dec 23, 2013
    The game is great! it have a very cool and funny history, the combos and magicks are fun to use and make a lot of sence too the only thing in this game that someone can complain about is the mechanic wich tis kinda of hard to learn at first
  2. Jan 3, 2014
    Highly enjoyable, mostly. The steam store and videos don't really do this game justice, I myself was deterred by the lack of any real HUD and the potentially featureless environments shown in gameplay videos across then internet. When I bought it in the Humble Bundle, it sat at the back of my library, ignored for a few weeks.
    Due to my impulse that I shouldn't buy a game in a bundle/pack
    Due to my impulse that I shouldn't buy a game in a bundle/pack and then never play it, I launched the game and discovered the amazing gameplay style. With the element-cimbining gameplay, this game offers a whole different perspective on "Magic" games. As opposed to casting the spell at the right thing at the right time, the focus of this game is the actual creation of the spell and the execution of it. While there are literally thousands of spells created by combining elements to give effects influenced by what the spell is made up of, there are "Magicks" that are particular combinations of elements that can be executed in a different way to create very particular results.
    The above forgives the minimal HUD (which, after a few breakings of the 4th wall, turns out to be deliberate) and the fact you don't seem to be able to translate the audio in the cutscenes from German, only read the subtitles. The infinite references to internet events and real life occurances are hugely amusing in parts and the characters in the game break the fourth wall constantly.

A successful effort from Paradox to show that graphics, HUD, a serious storyline and coop gameplay are not necessary in a game. A hugely enjoyable experience with only a few blips, strongly recommended.
  3. Nov 28, 2014
    A brilliant game with the most innovative spell casting systems I've seen to date. Why can't more games be this creative? On the surface it seems simple, you get 8 elements and combine them into spells. This turns into hundreds of combinations though each with their own uses.

It's fun to play and the challenge of using the proper elements for a situation is great. It also has a ton of references that had me chuckling :D.
  4. Mar 10, 2015
    Wow, what a total laugh this game is. It is all about frantic spell combinations on the fly as you try to escape each level of increasing complexity. It's much deeper than it appears at first glance. It's quite simply something you have to experience for yourself. This is a 2.5D spellcasting ARPG with the emphasis on combining 8 spell schools into 5 slots per casting, to affect andWow, what a total laugh this game is. It is all about frantic spell combinations on the fly as you try to escape each level of increasing complexity. It's much deeper than it appears at first glance. It's quite simply something you have to experience for yourself. This is a 2.5D spellcasting ARPG with the emphasis on combining 8 spell schools into 5 slots per casting, to affect and counteraffect what is being cast on you at high speed. You run around like a lunatic setting yourself on fire and healing enemies by accident until you get the hang of it, all to the ultimate effect of laughter and sheer desperation. I restate that the game is MUCH deeper than it looks at first glance, with the 8 aforementioned schools being further affected by many different types of robes that give specific boosts at the expense of specific drawbacks. In other words, this game has ENDLESS combinations to try out right at the start.This is a finely balanced, extremely well thought out game that gets top marks from me for inventiveness. It is all about desperately trying for that one spell combo that will keep you alive for just one more moment as the difficulty ramps up. i haven't had this much fun in a long time, with the GF exclaiming that she hasn't heard me laugh out loud at a game for quite some time. The game runs like a charm on my system, with most of the processing being in the spell effects as the maps and characters are quite simple. Nice music, HILARIOUS NPC's, maps just complicated enough to give you some obstacles in your mad dash to a safe spot so you can charge up your next powerful and untested spell combo. Oooops, electrocuted myself and healed the guy with the bag of bombs by accident, must start level over again. 20 minutes down the drain, seemed like 5.
    Next spell, I think I'll try 3 electro's 1 fire and one freeze. No wait, I should spray them first to maximize the electroshock. No wait, I sprayed myself, better heal. No wait, I accidentally combined heal with spray and now I have a fully healed wet guy point-blanking me in the face with a blunderbuss. Gaaaah, dead again, can't even wait to reload the level this is just so much fun. I simply have to rate this a 9 because that's just about as high as i go. I cannot wait to get good enough to take this to muliplayer, and I am drooling over the prospect of Magicka 2 which is coming out in mere weeks.

Most excellent indeed, should be played by anyone that values frantic mayhem against mobs most melodramatic and downright funny.
  5. Jul 4, 2014
    It's not perfect, but the gameplay is addictive and smart... it's an hard game, but in the good way, it takes time to master it, and you need to think about what you're doing. Really fun!
  6. Jan 19, 2015
    A very authentic action-packed game. The magical uses and combo's seem to be endless and the storyline and characters are really funny. This game is incredibly fun to play with friends on LAN or internet. I've been playing this multiplayer with a friend. Some battles we had to do over again for about 15 times. It might be just because we are not that good, or didn't discover theA very authentic action-packed game. The magical uses and combo's seem to be endless and the storyline and characters are really funny. This game is incredibly fun to play with friends on LAN or internet. I've been playing this multiplayer with a friend. Some battles we had to do over again for about 15 times. It might be just because we are not that good, or didn't discover the opponent's weaknesses quickly enough, but in my opinion the game is challenging without ever being frustrating. A rare combination. Expand
  7. Feb 9, 2015
    Magicka is a fantastic experience that is most fun with friends. You can play as a variety of robes, each with it's own weapon and staff. The campaign is fun to play, but the best part is PVP. The bugs are a major problem in the games and sometimes even prevent playing the game. Besides bugs, the game is actually really nice.

1. May 6, 2011
    The rich, luscious colors somehow make the world a lot more believable than games like Crysis 2 could ever be.
  2. May 6, 2011
    Magicka is a game that works especially well in cooperation. Single player experience is a good one but this game shows its true potential only when you play with friends, allowing for some great fun. A patched-up Magicka is most certainly worth getting to know. Even more, because it is a solid candidate for 2011's best game in its category.
  3. Apr 23, 2011
    A game that glorifies the use of fireballs and land mines. #WIN.