Mark of the Ninja PC

7.9

1. Mar 5, 2013
    Just bought this on sale on Steam. It is not a 9 or 10 point game. But for the price, it gets a decent score. The game starts off a bit tough with hard sticky controls (see below). It was fun for about 8 hours than becomes repetitive. Though 8 hours of fun may be worth the money to you.

The Good: I like the graphics. Ninja story is pretty cool. The many stealth puzzles can be fun but repetitive. If you die you don’t start off at some far away waypoint.

The Bad: Sticky controls. Literally. You have a “spider man” stick to things that have gotten me killed many times. You will die a lot, trial and error to complete missions (but as mentioned the waypoints aren’t far). The game is really hard at first until you get weapons/items Some points it pull your hair out frustrating.
  2. Mar 15, 2013
    It's just a plataform game, with all its limitations. It is not really creative no true innovations. Yes, it is somehow fun to play, but it would be a great free online game.
  3. Oct 30, 2012
    Typical 2012 'light' fare... unless you REALLY like stealth games I'd wait for the demo. Typical Microsoft moneygrab designed to look good in gameplay videos but lacks compelling gameplay. Yes all the hipsters playing on their ipads will like it... if you like a game with some meat on it I'd wait for the demo... Its exceptionally well done when it comes to seeing it in a gameplayTypical 2012 'light' fare... unless you REALLY like stealth games I'd wait for the demo. Typical Microsoft moneygrab designed to look good in gameplay videos but lacks compelling gameplay. Yes all the hipsters playing on their ipads will like it... if you like a game with some meat on it I'd wait for the demo... Its exceptionally well done when it comes to seeing it in a gameplay video... controls are excellent.. sound effects, atmosphere...until it comes to actually playing the game.. which is a yawnfest.. I played a few times made every effort to get into it.. maybe its just me but it just made no effort whatsoever to draw me in or compel me to continue... your mileage may vary. Expand
  4. Feb 10, 2013
    Way to easy.unrealistic. its only strong point was the story, overall eh, im surprised at the high review. no variety in kills and no real drive to replay
  5. Nov 26, 2012
    Its a good game, no 9/10 tho. Half way thru the game you pretty much discover every tool you need to become a good ninja which leaves the other half of the game a bit stale. Its a fun game just don't expect that much replay value.
  6. Vex
    Nov 29, 2012
    Good 2d stealth game with solid stealth mechanics. While it doesn't compare to some games such as Splinter Cell in terms of pure stealth, it should still provide decent gameplay. Expect to get about 10-15 hours out of the game. On a more negative note, level design is boring and the game turns out to be quite repetitive once you're past the 50% mark. All in all, nothing special and overlyGood 2d stealth game with solid stealth mechanics. While it doesn't compare to some games such as Splinter Cell in terms of pure stealth, it should still provide decent gameplay. Expect to get about 10-15 hours out of the game. On a more negative note, level design is boring and the game turns out to be quite repetitive once you're past the 50% mark. All in all, nothing special and overly memorable though it is a good deal at $15 price tag. Expand
  7. Feb 27, 2013
    I can tell this game is SPACE! IT IS SPACE AND YOU WILL PRAISE THIS GAME BECAUSE IT IS SPACE!!!1 Space art style and space gameplay space graphicts and space everything except bug and shortness and that my friends IS NOT SPACE BECAUSE MY NINJA WAS BUGGED IN ONE LEVEL AND I COULDNT MOVE THEN I FIGURED OUT: "Hmm THIS IS NOT SPACING SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" AND THEN II can tell this game is SPACE! IT IS SPACE AND YOU WILL PRAISE THIS GAME BECAUSE IT IS SPACE!!!1 Space art style and space gameplay space graphicts and space everything except bug and shortness and that my friends IS NOT SPACE BECAUSE MY NINJA WAS BUGGED IN ONE LEVEL AND I COULDNT MOVE THEN I FIGURED OUT: "Hmm THIS IS NOT SPACING SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" AND THEN I RAGED AND KILLED THE SPACE GAME BUT IT REVIVED AND THAT IS WHY THIS GAME IS SPACE,BECAUSE IT IS JESUS AND IT WILL BE BORN AGAIN! This game is SIMPLY space!
    I give this game 7. /10 spaces
  8. Mar 12, 2013
    Mark of the Ninja is a nice past time game. A bit like Flashback from Megadrive-era, but campier story, sneaking and modern graphics. Controls are quite good and most of the time character does what you wish it to do, but no means MotN is not Super Meatboy. Main issue with this game is that it is far too easy and when combined to check points every minute or two, the whole challenge isMark of the Ninja is a nice past time game. A bit like Flashback from Megadrive-era, but campier story, sneaking and modern graphics. Controls are quite good and most of the time character does what you wish it to do, but no means MotN is not Super Meatboy. Main issue with this game is that it is far too easy and when combined to check points every minute or two, the whole challenge is gone. This would not be a problem if there would be a strong and interesting story behind all, but it is a passing story for a 90s kung-fu movie, but no more than that.

I am actually puzzled why this game got so high critic scores, but it was well worth the money (Steam sale 5€). I guess MotN deserve those scores as a mobile game as there is little to no quality on that arena, but as a PC/XBOX-game those perfect/near-perfect scores are way off. If there would be more challenges it would get easily eight, but now the main function is to make gamers feel good about themselves.
  9. Sep 16, 2013
    Average. Derivitive. Brought nothing new to the genre. Dinky flash game graphics. Holds your hand. Story is absolute hogwash, characters are stale and overused cliches. Combat is poor. Has some strong points but compared to anything that isn't a flash game 91/100 is over the top.
  10. Jan 1, 2015
    The idea of this game is good and the mechanics are fun. And yet, I just stop playing it after a while because something is missing.

The good: The art style is great, the base game mechanics are fun and easy to use. The bad: it does end up being you versus puzzle setups. You see a situation and have to match your skills in the right way to solve the puzzle. That's fine but not very

The good:
    The art style is great, the base game mechanics are fun and easy to use.

The bad:
    it does end up being you versus puzzle setups. You see a situation and have to match your skills in the right way to solve the puzzle. That's fine but not very immersive in itself and sometimes end up being more of a roadblock in your way than something you like to do.

In the end what the game misses is stealth, ironically. Yes, there are elements of that but a lot of the time it's more similar to puzzle solving than anything else. The game is actually a puzzle game and not a stealth assassination game.
  11. Sep 25, 2013
    At first when i started i wasn't too happy about this game. I just felt like it was about being sneeky sneeky, and also i'd say the controls can be a little clumsy. But i decided to give it a chance anyway, and it showed up that the longer you came, the more advanced the objectives got and the more things got added to the game. Like alarm lasers that you were in need to turn off byAt first when i started i wasn't too happy about this game. I just felt like it was about being sneeky sneeky, and also i'd say the controls can be a little clumsy. But i decided to give it a chance anyway, and it showed up that the longer you came, the more advanced the objectives got and the more things got added to the game. Like alarm lasers that you were in need to turn off by destroying the generator. There's also a couple of "puzzles" where you need to figure out how to place the things to pass the lasers.
    But after all it's still just a 2D indie game, that is not too long, and i'd rather play a game like Far Cry for example. To me this is a game you can play when you're a lil' bored or just wanna play a nice calm game, without too much brain needed.
  12. Aug 23, 2015
    Ok, so the way this review works is that I start the score out at 5. I then go over the Story, Gameplay, Sound Design, Graphics, and Lasting Appeal, and I add or subtract points based on whither it holds up in said area.

Story ------------------------------------------- Mark of the Ninja has a rather bland story, consisting of a rouge ninja who attacks a group of ninjas. Then you

Story
    -------------------------------------------
    Mark of the Ninja has a rather bland story, consisting of a rouge ninja who attacks a group of ninjas. Then you and another ninja must take revenge on the rouge ninja. It tries to skate by doing as little as it could, and it sucks, because the story could be much more.
    -1 point

Gameplay
    -------------------------------------------
    MOTN is a 2d stealth platformer, and a rather good one at that. Hiding bodies, dodging lasers, grappling over ledges, it's all part of the game. However it lacks a whole tonne of freedom, with the occasional split path here and there. The AI of the guards is very solid, as they react similarly to how a normal human being would react, setting an alarm at the sight of a dead body, checking under grates if they see something out of the ordinary, all good stuff. Very solid stealth gameplay overall.
    +2 points

Sound Design
    --------------------------------------------
    The sound design of this game seems to serve its purpose, although like the story, it's not really more than it needs to be, there is a basic soundtrack, nice voice acting, and good sound effects. It's not really raising the bar, but it's not altogether horrible either.
    +0 points

Graphics
    --------------------------------------------
    The graphics in MOTN are highly styalized, and I honestly like that quite a bit. It's not your hyper-realistic COD or BF, but it's still nice in places. Unfortunately, everything in this game is very dark, and as such, the graphics of the game suffer. The backdrops however, look as if no time was put into them at all, and it takes a good bit away from the game. Thankfully the in game sprites (when in the light) aren't bad at all.
    +0 Points

Lasting appeal
    ----------------------------------------------
    MOTN is a fun game to play over because of all the outfits you get, seriously. Every outfit gives a large gameplay change, from stopping sword use, to making guards afraid of you. Every outfit changes up the playstyle. However the levels are rather similar in style, so there isn't much of a reason to replay more than the first few (and last few) levels of the game. So although it's fun to run through the game with modifiers on, there really isn't much reason to play every level over again.
    +0 Points

Overall
    ------------------------------------------------
    Mark of the Ninja is a fun 2d stealth game, while it's not really a stealth classic, it's still worth your time to play.
  13. Feb 28, 2013
    An overall enjoyable title but it has far too many problems to be praised this much. To begin with, the game is plagued with the same issues that Hitman: Absolution had where it is essentially a stealthing-game for the impatient, the 2d limitations only proves to further hamster the potential this game could have had and while I can appreciate the stylish artstyle and cartoony cutscenesAn overall enjoyable title but it has far too many problems to be praised this much. To begin with, the game is plagued with the same issues that Hitman: Absolution had where it is essentially a stealthing-game for the impatient, the 2d limitations only proves to further hamster the potential this game could have had and while I can appreciate the stylish artstyle and cartoony cutscenes with a decent story just as much like the next guy, game-play wise it is an collection of frustrations. To truly assassinate an enemy, you need to be undetected closely behind them (which can be a long and bothersome process involving a lot of trial-and-error) and then click M1, followed by a certain swipe movement with your mouse which either very often gets miss-read by the game, screwing the kill up completely or you knock something over on your desk. Getting to the point of being behind the NPC's is also tedious as you need to find the intended scripts that the developers put in place and if you choose to skip all that (not possible at many occasions) and simply engage them with your fists, the enemies will spam "Combat-rolls" which essentially make them invulnerable (Kunais, your throwable items literally bounce off them) leaving single 1v1 fights a matter of "Waiting for the invulnerability to go away" while with enemy teammates turns to a "Pause the game every half second to spam stun projectiles or you'll die" competition. Yes, the feature of freezing time and instantly throwing projectiles at enemies to stun them is an honest game feature which should let the next fact come less of a surprise: You engage any enemies that have spotted you with your fists instead of using weapons. I am dead serious. To fully kill an enemy requires a mandatory melee-range grab when they are incapacitated (for a few seconds after you've punched them about 20 times in the face)to fully kill them which is just laughable. I also had several occasions where I would be almost done cutting a guy's throat and he'd suddenly still somehow put out an alarm, making every enemy on a 5 kilometer radius rush to my location. And even with all these "bullsh!t" moments, I found the game to be ridiculously easy due to the no-limit freeze-time function, allowing you to take your time at any moment and mark enemies to be instantly thrown with Kunais, infinitely stunning every single enemy you see. I cannot honestly see the logic behind actually implanting something like this. It does not benefit the combat in a positive way and it is just an eyesore of a function for the stealth as well since it removes any actual difficulty. But I guess these kinds of poorly-thought through design choices are mandatory and very obvious trait of being ported from the 360. To sum it all up, did I like Mark of the Ninja? No. Why? Because this can be played in a browser and stealth-games are not meant to be played through 2D. Oh and, all the retards spamming thumbs down on negative reviews in regards to this game should give you even more reason to stay away from this smelling turd of a game. Collapse

A dreamy amalgamation of Shinoby, Deus Ex and Thief. It’s not only the best downloadable game of the year, but a welcome gift for fans of pure stealth gameplay. [November 2012]
    Splendid stealth platformer offers high levels of addictiveness. Surely aspiring to the title of "Independent title of the year". [Dec 2012]
  3. Nov 29, 2012
    Corvo Attano and Agent 47 couldn't possibly have expected that a platformer from the creators of Shank would stab them in the backs and claim the title of this year's best stealth game.