8.0

1. Jul 30, 2017
    I think that this is truly a unique game and I would recommend that if you are a fan of this type of genre then I think you should give this game a try.
  2. Jun 1, 2017
    1 – GENERAL

1 – GENERAL

Mark of the Ninja is a 2D ninja stealth game. It can be a bit counter intuitive, but you play as a ninja, and you try to progress along the levels using stealth or silent kills to remain undetected by all the guards. All the story makes sense in the end, when you are able to putt all the parts together to make your final decision in the game. That story is told almost entirely in cutscenes. I usually do not like that, but in this game this does not ruins immersion, since levels are long and some moments of rest between them are welcome, so we can clear up our mindset.

Graphics are in "comic style" but the final result is, for me, very impressive. All the shadows and textures clearly stand out, becoming a important part of gameplay. Even all the sound effects, represented as image, are a must, and they are not a intruder in the game, they are perfectly incorporated and soon we see all that elements as part of the story.

The sound effects are minimalist, and that feels great, because you can easily associate sound effects to actions of NPCs and you can react and plan over them. Soundtrack is very well set, and contributes to the stealthy aspect of the game.

2 – GAMEPLAY

One of the problems of making reviews from old games is that almost everyone know what to expect. I was expecting flawless controls, and that was not the case. If you play with keyboard and mouse, like I did, the controls seem... clunky. Just a small twitch in the mouse and the game recognizes an entire different move and you lose the round. Sometimes you want to jump down and you jump to the side or you do not jump at all. So do not be stubborn and play this game with a controller, I think it probably will be much better and easier.

Despite that, the gameplay is very good. Here stealth is really stealth. You must evade or hide behind objects to escape the guards that can easily kill you if they spot you. Sure you can fight for a bit, but only against a guard at any time, and a sniper will kill you with just one shot. You have a skill tree to unlock, and that will give you some tools and abilities to make your task easier, but not easy.

Stealth games often choose to hide mechanics, but this is not the case. Here you will know when, how and why you've failed. You can see all the consequences of your actions and take decisions over it. You can easily anticipate all moves so you can plan ahead properly. And imagine what? The game is great.

The AI is well set. Behavior of guards is quite predictable and fair. Even so your window of opportunity is small so you have to plan properly or you will be shot dead quickly.

Devs say that you can skip violence almost the entire game, and only one boss requires direct confrontation, but killing people is so much fun in this game...

There are some hidden passages that lead to collectibles and puzzle style bonus levels. You can search them or skip them entirely. It's up to you.

3 – CONCLUSION

I've loved this game from the start to finish. I was a bit disappointed with the ending, but that's not enough to make you not play this game. The game is quite cheap, and it's on sale a lot of times. Search for a sale and try it because this is a seriously great game!
  3. May 20, 2017
    Mark of the Ninja explores a familiar concept in a very unique and distinctive style, providing a challenging experience that will irrefutably satisfy anyone.
  4. Mar 30, 2017
    I would give this game 9.5/10... Unfortunately I can't, so I have to give it 9 because it's not something I will remember for all my life. Just good solid platform game. I like it)
  5. Mar 16, 2017
    Overall fantastic game. Simplified Splinter Cell in 2D.
    2 main issues: too many context sensitive buttons, sometimes gets it wrong. and sometimes fuzzy mechanics fuzzy mechanics in a game demanding precision = random trial and error gameplay.
  6. Jul 8, 2016
    Stunning animation. Ending opened for interpretation. Tattooed Ninja. Just some points of the amazing things they do in Mark of the Ninja. A stealth platformer that makes you feel like a deadly ninja from the very start. Gameplay runs smooth with a decent progression system to beef up your character. Completing challenges not only award you tokens for purchasing upgrades but also unlockStunning animation. Ending opened for interpretation. Tattooed Ninja. Just some points of the amazing things they do in Mark of the Ninja. A stealth platformer that makes you feel like a deadly ninja from the very start. Gameplay runs smooth with a decent progression system to beef up your character. Completing challenges not only award you tokens for purchasing upgrades but also unlock different outfits you can wear that give you powers/disadvantages.
    My only wish would be for the game to be longer, beatable in a handful of hours. When the game ends it does offer a new game plus for people who want to go back and try and find all the hidden objects.
  7. Jan 13, 2016
    It's a great game. I want to play it again and again. At present almost no games are combining high-quality graphics and fun gameplay. It's on my top 10 games.
  8. Jan 1, 2016
    The game is just perfect. 12 levels you can complete as you wish: stun everybody but leave alive or kill everybody, go through vents or rush forward. Lots of different equipment like bugs who can devour corpse or live people, trap mines, cardboard box, moth, really lots of different stuff for different effect on environment and enemies. Different enemies: snipers, tough boys, ninjas,The game is just perfect. 12 levels you can complete as you wish: stun everybody but leave alive or kill everybody, go through vents or rush forward. Lots of different equipment like bugs who can devour corpse or live people, trap mines, cardboard box, moth, really lots of different stuff for different effect on environment and enemies. Different enemies: snipers, tough boys, ninjas, common men. The game looks really perfect and SFX don't bother at all and the song in the last level is really amazing. New Game Plus is a real fun too, it makes you be cautious. And it can be challenging of course.
    Masterpiece. Totally recommend.
  9. Dec 7, 2015
    This stealth game is so accessible you could almost call it casual, yet it is so satisfactory in what it does I would recommend it to the hardcore stealth fans as well. Another great game by a great company, art direction is amazing as always.
  10. Nov 9, 2015
    If you want to feel like a ninja, this is the game. With an arsenal of fancy moves, gadgets, and murder methods, this is 2D stealth at its finest and stands as one of my favourite sneak-em-ups, 2D or not. Extremely polished and well put together, it looks and controls great, and it's just so much fun to creep around and terrorize your enemies, with stealth that's similarly satisfying asIf you want to feel like a ninja, this is the game. With an arsenal of fancy moves, gadgets, and murder methods, this is 2D stealth at its finest and stands as one of my favourite sneak-em-ups, 2D or not. Extremely polished and well put together, it looks and controls great, and it's just so much fun to creep around and terrorize your enemies, with stealth that's similarly satisfying as the Arkham games. You're powerful and lethal in the shadows but vulnerable when seen, and as the game progresses you'll have to come up with fancier and fancier tactics to overcome the escalating security and new varieties of enemy immune to this thing or that. Succeed and you feel like the ultimate badass, fail and you're a fumbling idiot. It's all wrapped up in an excellently presented package with an enjoyable, if simple story to work through.

It's a little on the easy side, but there is a new game+ mode in which all gunshots are fatal and your vision is more limited, etc. Definitely more challenging, but still beatable. There is a quicksave option that doesn't penalize you for using it, which can suck the difficulty out of things a little if you're prone to save-scumming. Because things can go so very wrong so very quickly, it's a welcome addition but it does make things a little less tense.
  11. Oct 1, 2015
    Tier 2
    + Totally fluid mechanics coloring the stealth gameplay
    + Accounts well for a couple different play styles
    ? Non-lethal gameplay poses a significant challenge that might put off players
    ? Gameplay has incredible highlights, but its flow doesn't evolve particularly well
    - Despite being present throughout the whole game, the story is stale and uninspired
  12. Sep 9, 2015
    First off, thank you Klei Entertainment and crew, your game is a solid 2-D stealth game with polished mechanics and good enough rpg elements to keep collectors interested for a while. Now, because of all the nonesical hate this game gets I feel compelled to start by disregarding the majority of the 0-4 reviews as childish, at best.

Good: * Art. Very nice backgrounds and character

Good:
    * Art. Very nice backgrounds and character design.
    * Stealth killing mechanics. Nice, quick, simple, but satisfactory, and variable.
    * Pace. You start slow and build up fast enough to not feel overwhelmed by the game but also find it challenging in some parts.
    * Upgradeables. All of them are useful and not cosmetic, like some games out there with redundant or totally unnecesary upgrades.
    * Nice puzzles. Just that, not too hard, not too easy.
    * Creative. The concept itself could be said has been done before, but if you scratch the surface you will see what I'm talking about.
    * Interactive. The ninja feels sweet and pro almost all the time... unless you're a hopeless noob, of course, if so... you will die a lot of times (yes, I'm talking about you meta user reviewers stating this game is about trial and error... my god you're pathetic gamers... not once I had to do that!)

Bad:
    * Short. VERY short.
    * Lacky advertising. This game it's not just about being invisible, the game itself kinda got lost in nothingness.
    * Nothing THAT new. It's a stealth game... all stealth games end up being VERY similar between them.
    * Too many moves for so few buttons. You've got like 4 active buttons, beside de d-pad, but the ninja interacts with almost everything making it hard to manuever with absolute precision in tight spaces.
  13. Jun 25, 2015
    Mark of the Ninja, developed by the critically acclaimed studio Klei Entertainment, with their successful Shank series, Don't Starve and now Invisible Inc.

Mark of the Ninja is like Dishononered mixed in with Thief: The Dark Project and produced into a 2D stealth action platformer, with great stealth, great bloody action and challenging yet not too difficult puzzles. Mark of the Ninja really shines as a 2D stealth game and Klei Entertainment have actually done a very good port from is original XBOX360 port to the PC. Controls are easy and quick to use. The music is brilliant and reminds me of some of the great Ninja films I have seen.

The cutscenes and their animation truly shine as a Klei Entertainment game, as Pixar has its own animation techniques with its masterpieces, so does Klei Entertainment with its games and also Mark of the Ninja. The cutscenes' animations remind me of Disney/Pixar films, only more gory than the family friendly Disney we all know and love.

The only thing that put me off was the voice acting. Its not terrible nor is it the best voice acting performance. Certainly it won't win any awards from me for best voice acting, but it gets the job done. Another thing which kind of bugged me was the puzzles, sometimes they were too easy, sometimes too hard, and sometimes damn frustrating!

The story, very well written and has a good plot twist in the end. However, about midway into the story, it kind of lacks in storytelling and I got really bored in playing that specific bit. It was the same guards and dogs, etc... just re-textured to fit in the environment your in.

I did notice some minor bugs here and there like guards not noticing me when I am fully visible in light and sometimes guards getting stuck in an area, however not game breaking.

Plus once you complete the game, there is a new game plus mode which removes all the things that helped you and make it even more challenging. Overall, this is a great Klei Entertainment game and should be definitely be played be people who either like 2D games, stealth games or want to play something a little different...
  14. Jun 21, 2015
    This is one of the best stealth games I have ever played. It has good great ideas well implemented into each levels, and new ideas to go against your natural instincts, and awesome powers. The only problems are that the story's ending wasn't very satisfying. And the controls are a little too sticky. But it is still a great a game.
  15. May 17, 2015
    It is absolutelly best stealth game i ever played ,since Metal Gear Solid 2 . Why ? 30 hours long ,interesting campaing , many gadgets and always you have 3-5 ways to complete mission . Insta buy , game is going better every hour !
  16. Apr 21, 2015
    This game the best stealth game.
    Nice graphic (samurai jack like cut scenes).
    Cool sounds and music.
    Very very good game play.
    Cool design.good feeling.
    Good work klei.
  17. Apr 3, 2015
    Amazing game by Klei, makers of Don't Starve. 2D stealth platforming game, brilliantly executed with buttery smooth gameplay and perfect art style. Great voice-over and cool story. Loved it!
  18. Mar 27, 2015
    Absolutely fantastic! I never expected this to be so good, one of the best stealth games of all time with beautiful visual art style, interesting ninja theme & story, but most importantly - extremely fluid and fun gameplay. Mark of the Ninja got me right from the first minute and it never stopped delivering the goods, tons of challenges you can do, different playstyles and various gear andAbsolutely fantastic! I never expected this to be so good, one of the best stealth games of all time with beautiful visual art style, interesting ninja theme & story, but most importantly - extremely fluid and fun gameplay. Mark of the Ninja got me right from the first minute and it never stopped delivering the goods, tons of challenges you can do, different playstyles and various gear and masks to suit it. When I'm thinking about it, I can't think of anything negative to say about this game, so it's a pure 10/10 Expand
  19. Jan 1, 2015
    The idea of this game is good and the mechanics are fun. And yet, I just stop playing it after a while because something is missing.

The good: The art style is great, the base game mechanics are fun and easy to use. The bad: it does end up being you versus puzzle setups. You see a situation and have to match your skills in the right way to solve the puzzle. That's fine but not very

The good:
    The art style is great, the base game mechanics are fun and easy to use.

The bad:
    it does end up being you versus puzzle setups. You see a situation and have to match your skills in the right way to solve the puzzle. That's fine but not very immersive in itself and sometimes end up being more of a roadblock in your way than something you like to do.

In the end what the game misses is stealth, ironically. Yes, there are elements of that but a lot of the time it's more similar to puzzle solving than anything else. The game is actually a puzzle game and not a stealth assassination game.
  20. Dec 20, 2014
    A great side-scroller, surprisingly good voice acting, awesome environments, wasn't expecting anything near this level when I picked this one up. Definitely worth the price, Steam has it on sale.
  21. Nov 29, 2014
    An amazing indie game! The controls respond really well with the keyboard and mouse, and the stealth is just right. It filled my life after the disappointment with the remake of Thief. The visuals are also really nice, and the game is not too long to overstay its welcome, but it's not too short to let me wanting for more. The story is really interesting, and so are the collectibles and theAn amazing indie game! The controls respond really well with the keyboard and mouse, and the stealth is just right. It filled my life after the disappointment with the remake of Thief. The visuals are also really nice, and the game is not too long to overstay its welcome, but it's not too short to let me wanting for more. The story is really interesting, and so are the collectibles and the secret areas. If you have some spare money, consider checking it out. Expand
  22. Nov 8, 2014
    I could not have asked for a better ninja game. Everything about this game screams terrific design. It captures the spirit of true ninjutsu: complete nothingness and silence, alongside the occasional assassination. The path you take as a ninja is completely up to you, ranging from a murderous nightmare towards every guard to an undetectable ghost. The game is more than happy to give youI could not have asked for a better ninja game. Everything about this game screams terrific design. It captures the spirit of true ninjutsu: complete nothingness and silence, alongside the occasional assassination. The path you take as a ninja is completely up to you, ranging from a murderous nightmare towards every guard to an undetectable ghost. The game is more than happy to give you various options in approaching every situation. I was also pleased by how varied the levels are; one time you will be infiltrating a fortress, the next time you'll be escaping poison-filled catacombs, and another time you will be setting a building on fire. I also found the game to be quite challenging and as of writing this review have yet to earn all the achievements...and complete a harder New Game+.
    The art direction is fantastic, harkening me back to the style of Batman: The Animated Series, Star Wars: Clone Wars, and Samurai Jack. Plus, the visual cues regarding sound and light is nothing short of genius.
    The story is surprisingly intriguing and the end led to much reflection of my playthrough as a ninja. The characters are good with well-executed voice-acting. Overall, very well-written.
    With all this being said, this is a ninja game. What more could you want?
  23. Oct 15, 2014
    Best stealth game i played ever. Great mechanics, good pacing and beautiful. If you ask me, this is a must play game in your life to do list. Highly recommend.
  24. Sep 30, 2014
    This game has no flaws. Great art, good story, excellent game-play and interesting until the end. If i had to say one thing that i do not like about this game, it would be that it is too short.
  25. Aug 8, 2014
    Mark of the ninja is not mainstream game, this game unique gameplay. You must patience and use your brain to play it. The has many feature like you can change costume, abilities, and weapon.
  26. Mar 7, 2014
    Simply great indie game. Even on Easy, it will take almost 6-7 hours to complete this game. It's not just a side scrooler platform gama. You've decisions to make. You can stealth or kill, you can hide bodies or hang them to terrorize other guards. It's all up to you. You have a lot of great items. Maps are also splendid. Story, characters are really good. Puzzles are brilliant, most of theSimply great indie game. Even on Easy, it will take almost 6-7 hours to complete this game. It's not just a side scrooler platform gama. You've decisions to make. You can stealth or kill, you can hide bodies or hang them to terrorize other guards. It's all up to you. You have a lot of great items. Maps are also splendid. Story, characters are really good. Puzzles are brilliant, most of the time you must combine reflex and intelligent to solve puzzles.

Just buy it if you like games like this. You don't have to wait 'til sales, it already worths its standart price.
  27. Mar 1, 2014
    This game is NOT a 2D Metal Gear Solid. MGS had a depth of story and style as well as tight controls and action that could be played as a NON-stealth game. This game does not have that. It forcefully holds gamers hands and makes them plod through set pieces without much thought for imagery or imagination. Multiple branching pathways or engrossing storyline will not be found here.
  28. Feb 10, 2014
    Played: Jan 2014

Pros: + Tight and satisfying controls (with a supported controller) + Rewards the player waiting long enough to tell what is happening before acting Cons: - PC version needs additional software support (official controller drivers: Xbox) to be playable - Not too much variety in the way guards behave (though methods of detection vary) In my mind, this is a game
    Played: Jan 2014

Pros:
    + Tight and satisfying controls (with a supported controller)

Cons:

In my mind, this is a game which is not afraid to heavily emphasize stealth. While you can kill some (or all) guards, you must then hide bodies to avoid raising an alarm. Having observed others playing stealth games (and having played a few myself) I can say that if you lack the patience to watch for patterns or alternative pathways, you might not like this game (unless you like dying a lot). Discovery does not end the game (though it will hurt your score), but you must then fight hand-to-hand with the guard who has seen you. Combat is clunky (and doesn’t use the sword you’re already carrying for some reason), but this doesn’t matter too much because the whole point of the game is to sneak-n’-stab your way to victory, not fight everyone you see. If you don’t like the default play style, the game gives some nominal customization to accommodate you (i.e. whether you prefer distraction or killing items) via new skins which change what/how much you can carry and feature a new power; however these usually have such significant drawbacks that you’ll prefer the balanced initial costume.
    To me this game isn’t a platformer or even an action game, it is a fusion of stealth and puzzle. The puzzles in this case are to find the easiest (nearly always circuitous) path to the objectives seemed straightforward to me, but based on what I’ve seen some may be hard to find or frustrating to players who don’t like to wait for a guard to leave or look around for a better way to an objective. Aside from the fact that this game might not be your cup of tea, I need to address a specific gripe: on the PC version the generic drivers for a USB controller WILL NOT be adequate to play using an Xbox controller-you must update/download the Microsoft drivers to play (I recommend using a controller, even if it isn’t specifically an Xbox one, though I couldn’t vouch for its compatibility based on this experience). Why couldn’t the developers allow generic drivers when many other games do so? In spite of this complaint, once 1st party drivers are installed there can be no complaints about responsiveness-your character is easy to control and never slips off a ledge or accidentally does something you did not intend.
    BOTTOM LINE:
    This is an excellent game that will reward you with satisfying gameplay if you are willing to look around the stages and be patient enough to learn guard routines.
  29. Feb 8, 2014
    this game is awesome great playing style it needs a lot of speed and thinking at the same time it gonna make you REALLY feel like a ninja believe me its simply made for making you feel like a ninja .
  30. Jan 19, 2014
    I am relieved to say that we finally have a good game from Klei Entertainment. Their previous iterations of Shank and its sequel were disappointing to say the least. Thankfully, Mark of the Ninja is a great game. It's a 2D stealth game where you go around hiding bodies, sneaking through levels, setting traps, and solving puzzles. The art style is the same as all of Klei's games and that'sI am relieved to say that we finally have a good game from Klei Entertainment. Their previous iterations of Shank and its sequel were disappointing to say the least. Thankfully, Mark of the Ninja is a great game. It's a 2D stealth game where you go around hiding bodies, sneaking through levels, setting traps, and solving puzzles. The art style is the same as all of Klei's games and that's fine. The gameplay itself is good and never seems to get repetitive. The game is a decent length for an indie game, clocking in at 6-7 hours for a single playthrough. There are hidden collectibles, challenges, and a scoring system as well as a New Game+ mode to add to the value. The cons are the story, which strives to be something great, and judging by the ending, they thought they had something great, but in reality I really wasn't interested at all in the story. There was nothing about it that drew me in and in the end, you are faced with a decision that you must make, but i was so confused by what was going on, the gravity of that choice didn't have any meaning to me. On top of that, as with all Klei games, the controls are terrible. I played with a gamepad and the controls annoyed me, i can only imagine how awful they are with K&M. There are way too many keys that are used for multiple functions. For instance, you press the "B" key on my 360 gamepad to pick up/drop a body and to interact with cover and other items in the world. So, if you have a body in front of cover or an item to interact with, you have to pick up and move the body and then go back to use the item or cover. There were quite a few times this poor control scheme cost me a life. All in all, the game just isn't fun enough for me to say it is one of the best games I have played. It is a very good one, and definitely the highlight of Klei. If you enjoy 2D games or stealth games, you should definitely check this out. Expand
  31. Jul 19, 2013
    The controls and feedback this game provides are what pushes it above the rest. The movement of the player character feels free and easy, yet the mechanics provide a feeling of precision and control that lesser platformers lack. Imagine if someone decided to make a 2D stealth-action game and they combined all of the best elements of Dishonored and Super Meat Boy. This is it. Buy thisThe controls and feedback this game provides are what pushes it above the rest. The movement of the player character feels free and easy, yet the mechanics provide a feeling of precision and control that lesser platformers lack. Imagine if someone decided to make a 2D stealth-action game and they combined all of the best elements of Dishonored and Super Meat Boy. This is it. Buy this game! It's one of the best two dimensional games I've played in many years. Collapse

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    A dreamy amalgamation of Shinoby, Deus Ex and Thief. It’s not only the best downloadable game of the year, but a welcome gift for fans of pure stealth gameplay. [November 2012]
  2. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 30, 2012
    Splendid stealth platformer offers high levels of addictiveness. Surely aspiring to the title of "Independent title of the year". [Dec 2012]
  3. Nov 29, 2012
    Corvo Attano and Agent 47 couldn't possibly have expected that a platformer from the creators of Shank would stab them in the backs and claim the title of this year's best stealth game.