7.9

1. Mar 7, 2014
    Simply great indie game. Even on Easy, it will take almost 6-7 hours to complete this game. It's not just a side scrooler platform gama. You've decisions to make. You can stealth or kill, you can hide bodies or hang them to terrorize other guards. It's all up to you. You have a lot of great items. Maps are also splendid. Story, characters are really good. Puzzles are brilliant, most of the time you must combine reflex and intelligent to solve puzzles.

Just buy it if you like games like this. You don't have to wait 'til sales, it already worths its standart price.
  2. Mar 1, 2014
    This game is NOT a 2D Metal Gear Solid. MGS had a depth of story and style as well as tight controls and action that could be played as a NON-stealth game. This game does not have that. It forcefully holds gamers hands and makes them plod through set pieces without much thought for imagery or imagination. Multiple branching pathways or engrossing storyline will not be found here.
  3. Feb 10, 2014
    Played: Jan 2014 Pros: + Tight and satisfying controls (with a supported controller) + Rewards the player waiting long enough to tell what is happening before acting Cons: - PC version needs additional software support (official controller drivers: Xbox) to be playable - Not too much variety in the way guards behave (though methods of detection vary) In my mind, this is a game which is not afraid to heavily emphasize stealth. While you can kill some (or all) guards, you must then hide bodies to avoid raising an alarm. Having observed others playing stealth games (and having played a few myself) I can say that if you lack the patience to watch for patterns or alternative pathways, you might not like this game (unless you like dying a lot). Discovery does not end the game (though it will hurt your score), but you must then fight hand-to-hand with the guard who has seen you. Combat is clunky (and doesn’t use the sword you’re already carrying for some reason), but this doesn’t matter too much because the whole point of the game is to sneak-n’-stab your way to victory, not fight everyone you see. If you don’t like the default play style, the game gives some nominal customization to accommodate you (i.e. whether you prefer distraction or killing items) via new skins which change what/how much you can carry and feature a new power; however these usually have such significant drawbacks that you’ll prefer the balanced initial costume.
    To me this game isn’t a platformer or even an action game, it is a fusion of stealth and puzzle. The puzzles in this case are to find the easiest (nearly always circuitous) path to the objectives seemed straightforward to me, but based on what I’ve seen some may be hard to find or frustrating to players who don’t like to wait for a guard to leave or look around for a better way to an objective. Aside from the fact that this game might not be your cup of tea, I need to address a specific gripe: on the PC version the generic drivers for a USB controller WILL NOT be adequate to play using an Xbox controller-you must update/download the Microsoft drivers to play (I recommend using a controller, even if it isn’t specifically an Xbox one, though I couldn’t vouch for its compatibility based on this experience). Why couldn’t the developers allow generic drivers when many other games do so? In spite of this complaint, once 1st party drivers are installed there can be no complaints about responsiveness-your character is easy to control and never slips off a ledge or accidentally does something you did not intend.
    BOTTOM LINE:
    This is an excellent game that will reward you with satisfying gameplay if you are willing to look around the stages and be patient enough to learn guard routines.
  4. Feb 8, 2014
    this game is awesome great playing style it needs a lot of speed and thinking at the same time it gonna make you REALLY feel like a ninja believe me its simply made for making you feel like a ninja .
  5. Jan 19, 2014
    I am relieved to say that we finally have a good game from Klei Entertainment. Their previous iterations of Shank and its sequel were disappointing to say the least. Thankfully, Mark of the Ninja is a great game. It's a 2D stealth game where you go around hiding bodies, sneaking through levels, setting traps, and solving puzzles. The art style is the same as all of Klei's games and that's fine. The gameplay itself is good and never seems to get repetitive. The game is a decent length for an indie game, clocking in at 6-7 hours for a single playthrough. There are hidden collectibles, challenges, and a scoring system as well as a New Game+ mode to add to the value. The cons are the story, which strives to be something great, and judging by the ending, they thought they had something great, but in reality I really wasn't interested at all in the story. There was nothing about it that drew me in and in the end, you are faced with a decision that you must make, but i was so confused by what was going on, the gravity of that choice didn't have any meaning to me. On top of that, as with all Klei games, the controls are terrible. I played with a gamepad and the controls annoyed me, i can only imagine how awful they are with K&M. There are way too many keys that are used for multiple functions. For instance, you press the "B" key on my 360 gamepad to pick up/drop a body and to interact with cover and other items in the world. So, if you have a body in front of cover or an item to interact with, you have to pick up and move the body and then go back to use the item or cover. There were quite a few times this poor control scheme cost me a life. All in all, the game just isn't fun enough for me to say it is one of the best games I have played. It is a very good one, and definitely the highlight of Klei. If you enjoy 2D games or stealth games, you should definitely check this out. Expand
  6. Jan 15, 2014
    Solid platform action with excellently executed stealth elements. The story is told through the masterful art direction at every level. A breath of fresh air in an era of video game decadence.

Controls are intuitive. A smart level design and good hit detection make for an enjoyable ride. The in-game achievements and level system keep level progression interesting.

Highly recommended.
  7. Jan 8, 2014
    This game didn't speak to me. I love Shank, and the second was OK. Thought I'd give this a try.... think a Shank-ish looking game with stealth sounds amazing. The idea, preview movies, and reviews shouted a masterpiece... but it's mundane and boring stealth game. If the levels were designed in a way to really utilize the need for being stealthy, then perhaps it might work; but, the levels design lacked interested scenarios begging for stealthy tactics. The way the character felt when maneuvering didn't feel satisfying like Shank did. The bad guys were very easy to kill... out of boredom you might try to rush a kill to get some fun. The build-up of hiding and getting spotted is lacking (maybe because it's a 2D game). Expand
  8. Jan 1, 2014
    Mark of the Ninja revives the stealth genre in a way like no other. Even if you're not a big fan of sidescrollers I still recommend picking this game up. The art style is drop dead gorgeous, and it's a game you can really get lost in. It reminds me of if you took Batman: Arkham Asylum, turned Batman into a badass ninja, and stuck him into a 2D world.

Pros:
    Beautiful Graphics For a 2D
    game
    Kick-Ass Animations
    Best Stealth Game I've Played Forever
    Great Price

Cons:
    Needs a more Engaging Storyline
    Probabbly would work a lot better with a controller than they keyboard and mouse set up.
  9. Dec 30, 2013
    Thank God I bought this during a Steam sale; I'm so mad at myself for wasting money on this game I want to punch myself in the balls. While this game is fantastic in concept (think about a 2D version of Metal Gear Solid), and the stealth aspect well-executed, the game is utterly ruined by its terrible combat controls.

There are two main objectives in this game: sneaking and killing. In
    a game where half the point is to kill people, there is no point in having melee combat if it doesn't help achieve this goal. Worse still, you cannot switch between melee and weapons combat. Hell, when it gives you the option to kill, it makes you swipe your mouse in an arbitrary direction in order to maintain stealth while you do so. WHY? WHAT'S THE POINT? Why did not not occur to the devs that ninjas are able to kill with their bare hands?

I would have given this game a 1, but it's so bad I'm never playing it again, and I've only played it for thirty minutes.
  10. Dec 6, 2013
    Wow This is an amazing game... One of the best games I've ever played in my life.... Never expected indie games to be so good and this one...is just fabulous. It shows what a Ninja is truly capable of. If you are even not a fan of platformers this one is a must-play...
  11. Nov 23, 2013
    Feels like you're playing a 2D version of Splinter Cell. This game is really good for a 2D game, the stealth mechanics are great, especially the traps.
  12. Nov 16, 2013
    This was an excellent story and it was just the right length. The game play was excellent, this is a 2D game that scrolls as you move and it worked very well. No timed mission, which rush you. Stealth is the key, you can go pacifist or assassin. The upgrades are useful and interesting to unlock as you go and contribute to your style pacifist with distractions or assassinate with weapons & traps. I played Shank 2 (made by Klei as well) all of about 30 mins before giving up on it, so I was skeptical, but this game was so much better. I have to admit that I like stealth games, so I'm biased. Run and gunners may not like it as much. The visuals in the game and cut scenes were a perfect style for the game. This isn't a triple A title, but it is what I expect from an Indie. Excellent value at a reasonable price. Well done Klei. Expand
  13. Oct 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the game that should judge all stealth games. If wants to be a stealth game it has to be as good as this. It gives you multiple choices on how to handle, you can go in and not even be seen and not kill anyone. The ending is brilliant and it took me 4 minutes to make my final choice. Expand
  14. Oct 7, 2013
    a must-have title. best 2d sidescroller- stealth-game ever. it makes so much fun to make high scores. sadly, that the leader-boards are full with cheater. have fun
  15. Oct 6, 2013
    Before the chit-chat, let me say something upfront: Mark of the Ninja is an exceptional stealth-action game, that will change your way of thinking about Indie titles if you had ambiguous feelings before. It isn't simply a great game, but also has character, story, depth and uniqueness.

Our hero is an unnamed ninja of the Hisomu clan. Just after getting tattooed with an ink from a
    special flower that will make him have extraordinary power his clan is attacked by soldiers and his mentor is taken hostage. After freeing him, the journey begins. Yes, it's revenge time. It's not the most well cooked stories out there and the ending lacks a real punch, but from an indie title of this kind it's very ambitious. After sending our hero on his mission it is explained to him that the ink under his skin not only will make him stronger but after some time it'll drive him mad. Before that could happen he sworn to commit suicide. But, the mission first.

As we progress through the levels our hero will learn (we unlock) new abilities that help us deal with enemy soldiers. With the increasing number of light sources, lasers, detectors and enemies the game gets more and more challenging, but never too difficult to frustrate the player. With common sense and orientation you can always find the right path to clear the room or pass by the enemies undetected.

And exactly this is the biggest fun source of the game. There isn't a definite way to finish a level or even to solve a room. You have a wast array of items you can choose from and you can use any environmental object to be successful. You rarely HAVE to kill a guard to reach the next room, there's always a second option.

The game tracks your progress all the time. Finishing a level without being detected or doing all the side tasks in a level will earn you more points to spend on special abilities and more effective distraction/attack items.

When you feel the game is beginning to get somewhat repetitive it always throws you something new to play with, to make the fun lasting. You can even change your outfit after some time. And this isn't a pointless dress change you see in many games. With the new suit you get new abilities, but you're reduced with other ones. It is really awesomely balanced, where everybody can find the clothes that fit the player's style.

With exceptional game design comes exceptional art design. The game isn't the most beautiful you've ever seen nor packs the most polygons, but it's art and it's unique. On the audio side the lighting strikes and dog sniffles are great. The OST consists of well composed pieces that support the ninja-feel and stealth nature of the game.

After finishing the game you can start again on New Game mode which is essentially a hard mode and it's really challenging where your viewing angles are reduced and the enemies are more aware.

Mark of the Ninja executes and delivers on every part you can imagine. It's a definitive standard for indie titles. If you like stealth games, play it. If you like 2D action games, play it. If you like platformers, play it. If you want to have fun, definitely play this piece! And, well...ninjas and stuff.

Rating: 89/100; Replay Value: 4/5; To Beat: 10-11 hours.
  16. Oct 5, 2013
    The best in its genre, also because I never saw any other 2D stealth game. I can't come up with any cons, you could really do whatever you want, and whatever strategy you want to adopt, the game gives you the chance.
    Every scenario is playable with any of the possible player configuration. It's a thing pretty rare, these days.
    A must have.
  17. Sep 25, 2013
    At first when i started i wasn't too happy about this game. I just felt like it was about being sneeky sneeky, and also i'd say the controls can be a little clumsy. But i decided to give it a chance anyway, and it showed up that the longer you came, the more advanced the objectives got and the more things got added to the game. Like alarm lasers that you were in need to turn off by destroying the generator. There's also a couple of "puzzles" where you need to figure out how to place the things to pass the lasers.
    But after all it's still just a 2D indie game, that is not too long, and i'd rather play a game like Far Cry for example. To me this is a game you can play when you're a lil' bored or just wanna play a nice calm game, without too much brain needed.
  18. Sep 18, 2013
    Ridiculously over hyped. Once again, I got this in a Steam sale but I was hesitant to buy because I don't have a good game pad and prefer mouse/keyboard. I had a DEV tell me in the forums that this game is totally fine with mouse/keyboard; it's not. Controls are crap with mouse/keyboard. Good art style. I guess great if you're *really* in to stealth games it might be worth it but it's just a forgettable sidescroller for me and not a particularly good one. Expand
  19. Sep 16, 2013
    Average. Derivitive. Brought nothing new to the genre. Dinky flash game graphics. Holds your hand. Story is absolute hogwash, characters are stale and overused cliches. Combat is poor. Has some strong points but compared to anything that isn't a flash game 91/100 is over the top.
  20. Sep 16, 2013
    The best ninza game after shinobi.I cannot play it without screaming ninza battle cries.Hiyaaaa.Seriously this game is fantastic and it has a different style of play than most other games.It is fresh and unique and it stands alone at the top of ninza games.What are you doing?You still reading my review?Go buy the game fast and silently like a shadow in the night you fools.The enemy is approaching.
  21. Sep 9, 2013
    Side-scrolling games really don't get any better than this, and when they do, they sure as hell cost a lot more than this one does.

First, let's talk the story quick. I thought the animation was great, the story was decent (considering how short overall the game is), the voice acting was pretty good, and the level progression was nice.

I'm also a fan of games that allow you choices
    in playstyle. This a stealth game, sure, but you can approach the game one of two ways: KOs or kills. There are times when you're forced into one or the other, but overall, you can play it either way. And, the game isn't so crazy hard that you have to worry about which style garners you more points for upgrades or anything like that. Plus, for those that maybe like to add morality into their gaming, you don't have to worry about slicing everything up.

The controls were fairly intuitive, although at times it felts like the game was trying to do too much. Keep in mind that you can do a lot of different things relative to how basic (read: few) the controls are. This sometimes results in the game misinterpreting what you're trying to do. A lot of this has to do with timing (like hiding in a duct or something), but expect to miss a few thing input-wise because you and the game weren't on the same page.

Needless to say, you're a ninja, so you're pretty awesome, but I also really enjoyed the various upgrades that you can get. It really prevented the game from getting too stale as you moved on. Some games simply increase difficulty without giving you new stuff to play with, but this did both.

Ultimately, it's a really, really fun side-scroller and at the price, it's hard to beat.
  22. Aug 7, 2013
    Mark of the Ninja is the next great product from Klei Entertainment. After good Shank's they provide another characteristic and awesome game. It's, without any doubt, one of the best game of 2012.
  23. Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not a fan of Stealth games, mostly in this generations, but everybody said that this game is great, and I should try it out. I bought it on the Steam sale, and after the first 5 minutes of gameplay, I confirmed, that this was the best 4 I've spent on a game ever. The art style is great, the story is great, the gameplay is great, everything is great! This is that special kind of game, where in order to experience the awesomeness of the game, you have to play it Expand
  24. Jul 25, 2013
    This game is amazing, the gameplay is perfectly done and I love the ending. Although some people may be disappointed by the choices, I felt the game would have had less impact on me if it had ended any other way.
  25. Jul 24, 2013
    Mark Of The Ninja is a great indie stealth platformer. I played it with xbox 360 controller and it works very good. The enemies have mostly a good KI and the gameplay is cool.
  26. Jul 22, 2013
    Fantastically designed and animated. The implementation of the stealth mechanism is sublime, and there's nothing more satisfying than terrorising an opponent to make them run into their own trap.

I found the game addictive with great replay value. More than once I caught myself thinking "Damn, if I'd done that differently, I wouldn't have wasted that item". It forces you to think
    tactically which is almost unheard of with other stealth games.

About my only complaint is that while the controls are largely intuitive and simple, you have a tendency to grab onto things even when you didn't mean to (eg when trying to climb down off a box in a narrow shaft you often end up clinging either to the wall or the side of the box).

The ending was suitably ambiguous that it really made me stop and think before proceeding.

All in all, thoroughly enjoyable (so much so, I bought it for friends in the Steam sale) and I can't wait to replay it with everything I've learnt form the first play through.
  27. Jul 22, 2013
    Mark of the Ninja caught my attention while browsing steam after pages and pages of first person shooters and scores of tasteless looking puzzle and tactical games. The game justifies its score with a great art design, and a well rounded up overall game dynamic. Nothing is perfect though and a few decisions made by the developers may prove frustrating to some of the least patient players.

Never since Metal Gear Solid on PSone, have I enjoyed sneaking past heavily guards that much. Mark of the Ninja borrows a lot from the Konami's flagship series. To make the game enjoyable, the rules are made simple: you can see the guards eyesight limit therefore precisely calculate your path. You are given some bandwith (very little) to make errors and therefore help the pace of some of the mission. It is that aspect that may prove tideous to non fans of steath games. However if you are like me and find the option of finishing a game without killing one single enemy an exciting challenge, then this game is for you.

The graphics are very enjoyable. 2D games in HD usually do, but in Mark of the Ninja, the shadows and visual representations of the sounds are part of the gameplay and are integrated in a really controlled manner. The fluidity of it all is a joy, and the character's movement are of an amazing precision, A controller is highly recommended; I actually don't see how that game could be enjoyed played with a keyboard.

Sneaking past enemies, jumping from wall to wall and hanging down from ceiling and lamp posts: this is pretty much all you do in this game. Accesorily you can kill anyone without a sound if you enjoyed that way better. I guess that is the big no of this game. It is particular and needs to be accepted as a whole to be enjoyed. It may surprise some gamers with its originality, but it will certainly disappoint and/or frustrate others who were looking for something more Ninja Gaiden like. There is also the Steam integration that is sometimes..well... weird and choppy. I have for instance never been able to post my scores even in Online mode. Not that it makes the game less enjoyable, but it takes away from that good old fashioned score breaking gaming motivation.

Buy it!
  28. Jul 21, 2013
    This game is really close to perfection.
    The design and atmosphere are really great. The gameplay is fantastic and deep.
    Much like in Orcs Must die, you start by just completing the levels, then you unlock all objectives and then you compete on the scoring ladder.
    So it's got a really good playtime (60+ hours for me). Definitely recommended.
  29. Jul 21, 2013
    Fun side-scrolling stealth-action gameplay, with some puzzles. Nice art-style and story as well elevate this game above its competition in the price-range. Level-design is hit and miss though needed a little more variety. Generally-speaking it's worth checking out.
  30. Jul 19, 2013
    The controls and feedback this game provides are what pushes it above the rest. The movement of the player character feels free and easy, yet the mechanics provide a feeling of precision and control that lesser platformers lack. Imagine if someone decided to make a 2D stealth-action game and they combined all of the best elements of Dishonored and Super Meat Boy. This is it. Buy this game! It's one of the best two dimensional games I've played in many years. Expand
  31. Jul 14, 2013
    this is the best arcade game i've ever played so far it has amazing soundtrack amazing art style and although it is a 2D game it has one of the best stealth game play ever with a bit RPG elements this game is not like SHANK going out there and hit the button to kill enemies no it makes you think how to kill them silently and make your way as you advance you get more items and more powers that will make the game more fun and the story is so good in this game it even has 2 endings when you finish the game you'll immediately play the new plus game it is so good and so fun highly recommend it Expand
  32. Jul 8, 2013
    I give this a 10 not only because of its few noticeable flaws, but also because of the small things that push it above other stealth games, and really other games in general. The small things not only motivate you to do specific, even more challenging tasks than what the levels require in order to unlock new equipment or get points.
    One of the things I love the most about this game is its
    art. It's style is continued through the cutscenes and the game itself, and looks amazing. Many games now neglect "art" and rather try to accomplish "the best graphics out there" or "the most realistic graphics", but Mark of the Ninja really shows how you can incorporate art into a game, whether it's physical appearance, a character, music, or any other forms of art. In terms of gameplay, the game is very flexible. If you accomplish certain "seals", which are goals that award you with a new "path" to choose if you get three of a kind. Each path is a different armor set that are useful for different things. One doesn't allow you to carry a sword, yet is completely silent and carries two distraction items. Another gives you extra health and better fighting skills, but doesn't allow for you to freeze time to mark places to throw darts or items. Even if you haven't unlocked any "paths", there are still many ways to go about getting past an area.
    There are a lot of collectibles throughout the game, some of which are artifacts, others poems. There is also a challenge room per level, which is a puzzle that requires certain aspects of the game you just learned. I always enjoy puzzles in games, and even though the ones in Mark of the Ninja were easy, they were still pretty fun. You get a certain collectible at the end of each challenge room, which tell the story of the Marks and the Ninja clan. Talking about story, this game doesn't deliver an amazing story- there is a semi-plot twist later in the game, which was very predictable. It was similar to many books you've read and many movies- nothing special there.
    In total, I had fun the entire way through while admiring the art and level design, which allowed you to go about at least 3 different ways for an area. Probably my favorite stealth game yet.
  33. Jul 6, 2013
    Its just a repetitive puzzle solving stealth game.... Everything in the game encourages you to avoid enemies, so very little action or fighting, and the platforming is minimal even (yeah there are platforms, but they are just ways of reaching the next puzzle). Its basically just trial and error, with a lot of dying in between, in order to progress past each area. The player movement is pretty fluid, but controlling the player is far from smooth. The security guards are by contrast quite robotic... maybe a style choice, but there is no variation so far. I really CBF finishing this, not from how little it has grabbed me. Expand
  34. Jul 4, 2013
    This game is unexpectedly fabulous. I thought I wouldn't be having lots of fun with it, but I did, big time. The graphics are very detailed and toon-like, and very very good animated. The story is cool too, somehow a bit of a cliché but hey, you play like a crazy ninja killing machine so it doesn't really matter. The stealth system is a key factor on the game, and very well crafted. I liked the character personalization a lot, you have tons of gadgets and techniques to combine, different ninja clothes, and so on, that change the way you play, which is great. As cons, I will say I was a bit disappointed with the endings (there's two possible endings), and also disappointed with the fact that you can not play as a female ninja! And that would be cool Anyway, this game is a must have this year! Expand
  35. Jul 4, 2013
    Game is trying to be clever and bring the real 'ninjastealth' feeling, but it unfortunately fails quite badly. Gameplay is just not interesting enough and gameplay mechanism is not good enough. Even after you get used to it, it doesn't offer you enough that you would enjoy the experience. Better use your time with something else.
  36. Jun 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An absolutely amazing game. It was hard to stop once I'd start playing, wasting hours of my day. Very frustrating sometimes, but it never really feels like it's impossible. Chose the "dishonorable" death at the end- the girl might be a lie, but not the tattooist. Expand
  37. Jun 23, 2013
    Kill Kill KILLLL!!!.... Or not you know, if you don't want to....

Mark of the Ninja is now one of my favorite indie games of all time. People wonder why others think it is so fun? How many other 10 dollar games give you the option to basically customize your character and style of play to the point where you could feasibly play ANY way? The upgrades enhance the experience A LOT and
    make you eager to try your new skills. The design of the levels are not too difficult to figure out but you still feel a sense of achievement when you slash or sneak your way through each of them. At the end of this game I was immensely pleased with my experience and wanted to play it over again in the new mode to challenge myself. The game actual reminds me of an arcade game.

The achievements, the unlocks and the story make this a fantastic game to play. If you're not into stealth games now, you will be after this.
  38. Jun 20, 2013
    The rating for this game is way too high. This game is a typical uninspired platformer. It's a direct clone to Shank 1/2 with rudimentary metal gear solid mechanics. The art style is typical, cheap, and overused. I'm tired of flash games like this. If it wasn't for the 3.75$ I payed on steam I would of never payed full price 14.99$ for it. It's not worth the 15 dollar price tag. It's a waste of money.

This game could be played on a browser. Bad indie company is bad.
  39. Jun 19, 2013
    This is the first Indie game i have given a perfect score. This game is one of the best stealth games i have ever played. Its easy to learn, but as the game progresses it gets incredibly challenging. I love the fact that just because you have gotten good at the game doesn't mean it gets too easy. You must be patient and smart in order to complete this game or have any fun with it. So my only warning for this game is that if you are not a patient person, or are the guy who plays Splinter Cell as a Third Person Shooter, this is not the game for you. Expand
  40. Jun 19, 2013
    Mark of the Ninja is an absolutely amazing stealth/platformer. The art style and gameplay are all top notch. Yes, it's 2D, but it's not linear as you can often choose which angle to attack from and can bypass obstacles and enemies entirely. One of the best games of 2012.
  41. Jun 18, 2013
    I found mark of the ninja to be a mediocre basic stealth game. It is the type of game that I play once, then forget about forever. There is nothing that stands out in this basic 2D stealth game. I find this game easy, but to play it correctly if would take forever with lots of waiting and planning. I find this extremely boring. But if you try to do face your enemies once in a while, you have to deal with the crap combat system. Fighting means jumping and then clicking a bunch on the enemy until he falls over. I don't see why there are such great reviews on this game. It's decent, but not memorable or amazing in any way Expand
  42. May 19, 2013
    Real fun game.
    I still feel that thrill every time I sneak up on an enemy and stab him in the back. The visuals are amazing and the level designs are controls are pretty accurate.
    The only complaint I have for this game, is that it's on the easy side. Sure some situations get kind of tricky, but checkpoints are abundant, and there is no real penalty to dying and restarting. The levels
    are pretty much a joke once you get familiar with the game. And I lied, that's not my only complaint. There's also the issue, that this is a complete stealth game. It's quite boring to have every single level to be the same. It would have been a nice touch to add boss fights or something to give you a break from the constant hiding.
    However, even with it's flaws, it is still a very fun game.
  43. May 15, 2013
    TL;DR Really fun side-scrolling stealth game, if a little short. Ending makes you think. Definitely try it.

I really enjoyed this game. It's a side-scrolling stealth game with an art style that really makes me think of Samurai Jack. The gameplay is really gun and fairly challenging at times.

The controls are really good, and hardly ever caused an issue besides once or twice where I
    stuck to the wrong wall, but that was likely my fault. The controls are so good enough that you never feel cheated when you die, it's always your fault.

The story doesn't seem like much until you get close to the end, where there's a twist and then everything starts to make sense. The ending itself left me felt a little unfulfilled, but I think it's made to make you fill in the blanks yourself. It really gets you thinking about your choice, why you did what you did, but doesn't tell you what happens next, so how good the conclusion to this game really is what you make of it.

I only got 7 hours out of this game, so I felt like it could have been longer, although I did skip a lot of the side missions, and I do feel like much of the challenge comes from the challenges you set yourself (Don't raise any alarms, never get seen, don't kill anyone, etc). but besides that I can't really think of anything that was wrong with this game.

I'm not sure what else I can say about this game, but if you enjoy stealth games, this one is great fun, and worth the money. If the store page looks good, get it, otherwise try it when it's a bit cheaper.

44. May 2, 2013
    My favorite game, definetly. I may have given DMC 4 a 10, but i was fanboying. This game is FAR superior to most stealth games, as it just as simple as it is advanced. It's basically a 2d stealth game, that nails every stealth aspect perfectly. All the way from the story to the gameplay and atmosphere. This game makes you feel like a ninja, wether you want to kill everybody, or sneak past them, that's all up to you. Even the maps are so comically full of opportunities that's they are anything but linear. And not to mention that you can unlock multiple styles, increasing the variety even further. The cartoon artstyle is awesome. Now that's not to say that the game is perfect. Voice-acting is... rather odd. It seems like when the guards are angry and enraged, they sound very calm. I guess all the work was put into the terrified voices xD Amiright?! Also there are a few glitches here and there, but they are very difficult to come by. And hey! The cardboard box is here! Expand
  45. Apr 28, 2013
    One of the few games to have given a lasting impression on me. Really a great piece of work. The ending was incredible, the cutscenes are beautiful, just everything about this game pleased me.
  46. Apr 27, 2013
    This "game" does not deserve to be in the same category with actual stealth games like Metal Gear Solid. This is a simple flash game, nothing more. This is the kind of thing you would expect to see on Kongregate. I am ashamed and disgusted in all of you for legitimizing the sale of pathetic flash games.
  47. Apr 22, 2013
    Never played a stealth game before. Positives: 1. The "oh crap I've been seen" factor that sends you into panic. (This becomes easy as you adjust and you simply hide in a vent or just barely out of their sight range). 2. Exciting missions usually entailing assassination, escape, security shutdown, etc. 3. Choice of killing everyone or sneaking past everyone (minus assassinations). 4. Ability to see around corners so you have an idea of what to expect next. 5. Good voice acting pulls you into story 6. Good variety in weapons, distraction items, and ninja outfits which modify your abilities. 7. Good music/sfx 8. Good puzzles 9. Harder difficulty in new game+ if you thought it was too easy 1st time 10. Three optional scrolls and three optional objectives give plenty to do when replaying
    Negatives: 1. Short game (12 levels 20-50 minutes each) 2. Sometimes find yourself simply waiting 10 seconds after you are spotted making it stop & go action. 3. No difficulty settings except for new game+(requires completion of original play-through 4. Control problems when multiple options are available for the E key/ right mouse button-- sometimes you will pick up a body when you meant to hide/close door/ or grapple (usually not big problem) 5. A LOT of checkpoints so not very much challenge (sometimes I would suicide just for the hell of it)
    Overall: Great game, beaten in about 10 hours (1st play-through). Don't know if worth $15, maybe buy on sale.
  48. Apr 20, 2013
    I spend a lot of good time with this game. You can really go in to it for 100%. There are a lot of solutions for making Your own ninja experience. Great fun for many hours.
  49. Apr 20, 2013
    Fantastic game! I find it hard to pry myself from this one, which is rare. The levels are fun and can be as challenging as you want them to be depending on how you play. There are multiple ways to score kill them all or let them all live! Although, I believe killing them all tend to give higher scores than letting them live because you get points for the kill and points if you hide the bodies. You can also get extra points depending on how you did the kill! Overall, I enjoyed the game controls, level progression, level difficulty, and my gaming experience. I highly recommend this game to anyone! Expand
  50. Apr 10, 2013
    Probably the best game I've played in several years. I rarely go back to complete achievements after I finish a game; but this one (taking all of fifteen hours) was quite enjoyable even during a second -more difficult- play through. It could be quite challenging at times, but never beat-your-face-on-your-keyboard-screaming-difficult. It's cheap, it's fun, and relatively rewarding, buy it.
  51. Apr 4, 2013
    Excellent game I believe all the mixed reviews are mainly coming from pc users but for consoles this is revolutionary. There is a lot of depth to this game and there is plenty of room for working out the bugs and minor details. This is my first MMO and its a great place to start.
  52. Apr 2, 2013
    Mark of the Ninja is 2D platformer stealth game, a type of game I found refreshingly new on the scene. Although the plot is rather simplistic, the gameplay itself provides a wide array of entertainment. Player is given (with time) a choice of tools, whichever suits him best, and then uses his wit to overcome increasingly difficult problems. There is no set in stone solution and many possible approaches to the game. You want to be bloodthirsty murderer Be my guest. You prefer more peaceful approach of unseen ghost Sure! But be careful, whatever you choose the game will never let you just sprint through with cannons blazing a certain amount of thinking is required all the time. And whenever you are getting too familiar with the game, a new element is introduced, be it enemy or ninja tool. The game itself is not very hard, even when doing the achievements, but satisfying. The only downside, in my opinion, is the rather uninformative ending, but that might be the matter of taste. Expand
  53. Mar 28, 2013
    Mark of the Ninja is a great and interesting game.
    Klei did great job on this game.
    This game is awesome.
    Amazing 10/10!
    Hop too see the next one and plus the Shank 3.
  54. Mar 22, 2013
    In my opinion, this takes stealth to a whole new level. In a lot of stealth games, it is difficult to know when you can be seen and when you can't. this is never an issue in this game and its all the better for it. This game is a gem and not to be missed.
  55. Mar 19, 2013
    Before Mark of the Ninja, a 2D stealth didn't seem possible. However, thanks to Klei Entertainment's brilliant level design and mechanics this actually proved to be a possible task. The game was fun and addicting. The stealth mechanics like the covor system, grappling hooks, visible sounds, and climbing worked surprisingly well to create a well designed 2D stealth game. The game was very fun and unlike a lot of other stealth games on the market, this game felt like a true stealth game rather than it being blended with some other genre like action for example. The game also has an achievement-like honor system which is great for completionists, and honor gained can be used to purchase upgrades and abilities for your character and your gear. The are only few complaints I have for this game. The story for this game is badly written and the endings aren't very satisfying, and I felt the Newgame+ mode was a bit tedious. Overall I felt the game was very enjoyable and a welcome addition to any Stealth fan's game library. Expand
  56. Mar 18, 2013
    This game does deserve ANYWHERE NEAR the praise that critics and users give it!

It is an uninspired platformer with nice art and mechanics, but I can have that experience with SNES games if I have a nostalgic itch to scratch. It brings nothing interesting to the table. You have a hook-shot that works, ninja stars that hit stuff, and a few ninja moves to kill and sneak. It is empty and
    vapid.

Unless you are a die-hard stealth fan, you will be disappointed that you actually spent money on this. I spent $6, and I regret it immensely. Have never been so disappointed by a Metacritic score.
  57. Mar 15, 2013
    It's just a plataform game, with all its limitations. It is not really creative no true innovations. Yes, it is somehow fun to play, but it would be a great free online game.
  58. Mar 14, 2013
    "Mark of the Ninja" may be the best stealth game I have ever played. Or at least the most fun one. Because it doesn't require you to spend so much damn time like e.g. Thief but it still punishes you pretty quickly and harshly for not sneaking. At least if you try to get all the "seals" (certain accomplishments for each level). Or you just don't want to be detected, period. Numerous unlockables and new game plus with actually very fun changes means quite a bit of replayability as well. I especially love one play style that one can unlock that makes literally running through stealthily while not harming anyone possible. Controls are fantastic and whenever the game punishes you, you know that you deserved it. The only unfortunate thing I can find about "Mark of the Ninja" is that it is only available through Steam. But I bet that won't bother anybody here... Expand
  59. Mar 12, 2013
    I always wanted to be the ninja. In this game i am. Silent assassin, with no mercy. I use my sword as a clerk uses the pencil. In this game sword is mighty er than the pen and my enemies go down one by one. But not, mandatory. You can kill everyone or you can sneak pass by them and they wouldn't know that you where here. Any way, graphics in this game are very good, controls are just like it should be. Not a big fan on side scrolling games but this one is really worth playing over and over again. Expand
  60. Mar 12, 2013
    Mark of the Ninja is a nice past time game. A bit like Flashback from Megadrive-era, but campier story, sneaking and modern graphics. Controls are quite good and most of the time character does what you wish it to do, but no means MotN is not Super Meatboy. Main issue with this game is that it is far too easy and when combined to check points every minute or two, the whole challenge is gone. This would not be a problem if there would be a strong and interesting story behind all, but it is a passing story for a 90s kung-fu movie, but no more than that.

I am actually puzzled why this game got so high critic scores, but it was well worth the money (Steam sale 5€). I guess MotN deserve those scores as a mobile game as there is little to no quality on that arena, but as a PC/XBOX-game those perfect/near-perfect scores are way off. If there would be more challenges it would get easily eight, but now the main function is to make gamers feel good about themselves.
  61. Mar 10, 2013
    This game was a slap in the face reminder that games do not need cutting edge graphics to be amazing. I had seemed to forget that. This game makes me wish that I could find a full-sized exploratory rpg game with this kind of 2D graphics. I heavily enjoyed the style of the game and its game play. I got 15 hours in before I beat it but it also has some legit re playability and I plan to beat it again soon. Controls could have been slightly polished, preventing it from getting a 10/10 from me. Expand
  62. Mar 9, 2013
    Gorgeous! It really is spectacular! This game is the best I've ever seen was a platform game. Let Assassin's Creed, Hitman Assassin game this year, this is it.
  63. Mar 8, 2013
    Mark of the ninja is actually quite a good game. The stealth system is well built, the challenges are real and the continuous progress of your character makes you replay the levels to find new techniques to pass them, earning achievements.
  64. Mar 7, 2013
    The best Ninja game I've played, and I've played plenty of them. An incredible sidescroller, in which stealth is very important. It is very replayable, as you can improve your score and obtain points to develop your character. It has beautiful graphics, smooth controls and runs perfect on PC. Awesome game.
  65. Mar 5, 2013
    Mark of the ninja is a 2D stealth/action, slightly puzzle game that let's you decide your own course of action. You may choose to kill every enemy in the game or none of them, use traps and devices to move undetected, to kill swiftly or just to distract enemies. The art style is very similar to Shank 1 2 although not as colorful, but rather a bit grim and gloomy which suits the theme very well. Fantastic game if you're into sneaking, planning and/or killing your way through the game. Expand
  66. Mar 5, 2013
    Just bought this on sale on Steam. It is not a 9 or 10 point game. But for the price, it gets a decent score. The game starts off a bit tough with hard sticky controls (see below). It was fun for about 8 hours than becomes repetitive. Though 8 hours of fun may be worth the money to you.

The Good: I like the graphics. Ninja story is pretty cool. The many stealth puzzles can be fun but
    repetitive. If you die you don’t start off at some far away waypoint.

The Bad: Sticky controls. Literally. You have a “spider man” stick to things that have gotten me killed many times. You will die a lot, trial and error to complete missions (but as mentioned the waypoints aren’t far). The game is really hard at first until you get weapons/items Some points it pull your hair out frustrating.
  67. Mar 4, 2013
    Mark of The Ninja, truly a masterpiece in not only the indie genre, but the stealth genre as well. Klei knocks another one out of the park, with a truly magnificent title that challenges the player with puzzling stealthy and/or combative platforming. This is definitely one of the strong points of the title. You can choose whether to go through the game slicing and dicing all your enemies head-to head, sneakily scurry past everyone, without raising an alarm or killing a guard, or even a mixture of the two, silently killing the guards off, one-by-one. Mark of the Ninja just doesn't have some of the best stealth gameplay I've seen, either. Klei brings it's now signature artstyle to the table, the likes of which have been seen in their previous Shank titles. Notably less gruesomely gorey, the game presents remarkably clean lines with interesting design. The sound is spot on, and is represented by visual cues, so you know if that guard is going to hear you sprinting through the vents or not. The music is pleasant but satisfyingly unobtrusive, and the controls are tight and perfected. I played through the game using keyboard an mouse, but then went through part of the New Game+ mode using the XBXO 360 pad. I personally preferred keyboard and mouse for this stellar title. The game is not difficult, and is not terribly long, either. Dying only a few times during the length of the first playthrough, it lasted me roughly 6-7 hours, without raising alarms and being the super-stealthy ninja that I am. The different gameplay styles offer replayability, and the addicting gameplay will keep you coming back for more.

All things considered, Mark of the Ninja is definitely in my Top 10 Games of 2012.
  68. Mar 2, 2013
    A great stealth game, that captures the spirit of old Shinobi games while adapting it to a new generation of gaming. Great graphics, perfect animations, very inspired level design and a upgrade system that gives more option without mindlessly increasing power combine to make this an outstanding game. It's also a great PC port: it works perfectly well with the keyboard, controls are very responsive, menus work very well with keyboard and mouse. This is a very good example of how to make a ninja game, a stealth game and a PC port. Expand
  69. Mar 2, 2013
    Game has excellent balance between action packed platform jumping and still moment of stealth games. I can recommend this game for everyone that loves platform games.
  70. Feb 28, 2013
    An overall enjoyable title but it has far too many problems to be praised this much. To begin with, the game is plagued with the same issues that Hitman: Absolution had where it is essentially a stealthing-game for the impatient, the 2d limitations only proves to further hamster the potential this game could have had and while I can appreciate the stylish artstyle and cartoony cutscenes with a decent story just as much like the next guy, game-play wise it is an collection of frustrations. To truly assassinate an enemy, you need to be undetected closely behind them (which can be a long and bothersome process involving a lot of trial-and-error) and then click M1, followed by a certain swipe movement with your mouse which either very often gets miss-read by the game, screwing the kill up completely or you knock something over on your desk. Getting to the point of being behind the NPC's is also tedious as you need to find the intended scripts that the developers put in place and if you choose to skip all that (not possible at many occasions) and simply engage them with your fists, the enemies will spam "Combat-rolls" which essentially make them invulnerable (Kunais, your throwable items literally bounce off them) leaving single 1v1 fights a matter of "Waiting for the invulnerability to go away" while with enemy teammates turns to a "Pause the game every half second to spam stun projectiles or you'll die" competition. Yes, the feature of freezing time and instantly throwing projectiles at enemies to stun them is an honest game feature which should let the next fact come less of a surprise: You engage any enemies that have spotted you with your fists instead of using weapons. I am dead serious. To fully kill an enemy requires a mandatory melee-range grab when they are incapacitated (for a few seconds after you've punched them about 20 times in the face)to fully kill them which is just laughable. I also had several occasions where I would be almost done cutting a guy's throat and he'd suddenly still somehow put out an alarm, making every enemy on a 5 kilometer radius rush to my location. And even with all these "bullsh!t" moments, I found the game to be ridiculously easy due to the no-limit freeze-time function, allowing you to take your time at any moment and mark enemies to be instantly thrown with Kunais, infinitely stunning every single enemy you see. I cannot honestly see the logic behind actually implanting something like this. It does not benefit the combat in a positive way and it is just an eyesore of a function for the stealth as well since it removes any actual difficulty. But I guess these kinds of poorly-thought through design choices are mandatory and very obvious trait of being ported from the 360. To sum it all up, did I like Mark of the Ninja? No. Why? Because this can be played in a browser and stealth-games are not meant to be played through 2D. Oh and, all the retards spamming thumbs down on negative reviews in regards to this game should give you even more reason to stay away from this smelling turd of a game. Expand
  71. Feb 27, 2013
    I can tell this game is SPACE! IT IS SPACE AND YOU WILL PRAISE THIS GAME BECAUSE IT IS SPACE!!!1 Space art style and space gameplay space graphicts and space everything except bug and shortness and that my friends IS NOT SPACE BECAUSE MY NINJA WAS BUGGED IN ONE LEVEL AND I COULDNT MOVE THEN I FIGURED OUT: "Hmm THIS IS NOT SPACING SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" AND THEN I RAGED AND KILLED THE SPACE GAME BUT IT REVIVED AND THAT IS WHY THIS GAME IS SPACE,BECAUSE IT IS JESUS AND IT WILL BE BORN AGAIN! This game is SIMPLY space!
    I give this game 7. /10 spaces
  72. Feb 26, 2013
    I am gonna keep this simple. Go buy the game now and make sure you play on a nice gamepad. This is not only a great stealth game, it's one of the best game of 2012. I've been gaming since the early 90s and very rarely I will put in the effort to log in and post a review. Trust me, this game is worth your time and money.
  73. Feb 21, 2013
    Mark of the Ninja is a 2-D sidescrolling, stealth-action, platformer. It is first and foremost a stealth game, from sneaking through the shadows and having to hide bodies. Mark of the Ninja brings a fresh take on the genre with is unique visuals and gameplay mechanics.
  74. Feb 19, 2013
    This game is amazing. The best ninja game I've ever played! This game provides so much variety on how to play the game. From stabbing everyone in the back, to using traps and environments to kill, to even completely avoiding every enemy and remaining unseen. The puzzles/challenges are also brilliant. Solving them gives me the same feeling as solving a Portal puzzle, very satisfying. I HIGHLY recommend this game. I had fun the entire time, and the ending was crazy! Don't wait until steam sales, get it NOW! Expand
  75. Feb 13, 2013
    So you're a mythical-strength ninja; The plot is literally about you flipping out and killing things, and that's about it. Gameplay revolves around quickloading everytime you are spotted and mouse gestures for silent kills. Graphics are poorly upscaled, soundtrack is your stereotypical "oriental" themed "*gong* WOOOOOOOOOOOOO" stuff, and the sound effects are pulled from a stock library. Many bugs ruin the experience ranging from small things like guards being blind to you standing right in front of them to gamebreaking bugs such as getting stuck on a wall or in a vent. An unlock system lets you kill from different angles and gives you some new tools but it doesn't really change the core gameplay of "kill silently and without being seen". I love slowly stalking through stealth games but this one is ruined by too many checkpoints, an overabundance of bugs, balancing issues (one outfit and one weapon are clearly the best at what they do), and everything else mentioned above. Running at around 10-12 hours, this is a flash game better left to XBLA. Expand
  76. Feb 12, 2013
    What a great platformer. I had tremendous fun being a stealthy ninja and it wasn't made easy with point reductions and the fact you cant slash enemies head on. May be punishing at times, but that's the fun of it. The fun lasts for a good few hours, worth it.
  77. Feb 10, 2013
    Way to easy.unrealistic. its only strong point was the story, overall eh, im surprised at the high review. no variety in kills and no real drive to replay
  78. Feb 7, 2013
    Picked up Mark of the Ninja in the steam sale at Christmas. Wasn't convinced it would be my kind of game but the reviews looked good and I'm a sucker for a bargain. Now that I've had chance to play it I've got to say it is probably the best 'why not?' purchases I've made. For a 2D stealth game the graphics work really well and it has tremendous replay value. Each level has 9 things to achieve including completing specific objectives, collecting items and posting high scores. You can run through each level killing everything in your path like a maniac or creep through each level using stealth and distraction. As you progress through the game you get to upgrade your skills, distraction items and attack items as well as your ninja abilities. These different abilities along with the 9 'achievements' per level and the option to play through it all again with an increased level of difficulty have resulted in over 40 hours of game play for me so far. I've managed to complete the game on the normal setting gaining all steam achievements at that level and am working towards playing through the game on the harder setting of "new game plus" to gain the last steam achievement I need. If you can get it in a sale then buy copies for your friends. Enjoy and give joy. Expand
  79. Jan 30, 2013
    If there is a game out there that can convince someone to enjoy super-invisible, deep stealth (like Thief and the first Splinter Cells), as much as Batman-style action stealth, this is that game. The mechanics of this 2D game are surprisingly and amazingly deep. Enemies will respond to sounds, investigate where they think they saw you, and even be terrorized by your actions. There are a whole assortment of gadgets that you can use in many ways to turn the tables on your foes. You can perform all sorts of tricks, such as climbing up almost every wall, scurry around in the air ducts, throw a dead body to terrorize some hapless guard. There are even multiple solutions to your problems: do you shank that guard at the first opportunity? Or do you use your gadgets to distract him while you slip past? Or do you even get them to kill each other by accident? The choice is yours. Even months later, I still cannot find anything wrong with this game. It's length is bolstered by the presence of New Game+, its animation is beautiful and well crafted, its sound and music creates perfect ambiance, and even its story, despite being small and short, has a surprising amount of twist and turns to it. Buy this game. This is stealth done PERFECTLY. Expand
  80. Jan 25, 2013
    This game is amazing. I can't think of any complaints, flaws, bugs, or really any room for improvement. Unless you have a mental block that says that all games must feature 3D, this game should be on your shelf.
  81. Jan 22, 2013
    A very fluid stealth game. There is a steep learning curve on the controls, but by the time you learn all the character abilities, it feels a bit more natural. The perfect amount of gameplay. Maybe not such an original story, but told well. The animation is well executed and a welcome departure from 3D. Not impossibly challenging, good casual gaming.
  82. Jan 20, 2013
    best stealth and perfect 2D game ever it has very unique style of gameplay is smooth and incredibly awesome. Perfect game fast and fluid and s superb.
  83. Jan 14, 2013
    It is a rare thing indeed to rate games a full '10' (it's more like a 9.5 really). There are so many average and below/above average games nowadays that some people have become jaded. I was one one of those jaded folks until I came across "Mark of the Ninja". It takes a lot - and I mean a lot - of time, patience, talent and testing to create such a magnificent accomplishment in gaming (and just about anything really) with all the competition and hype that comes with newer titles. MotN is an epic game with amazing gameplay, spectacular art and design and mechanics that work all the way through to its end. Platformers are becoming more popular again as well as stealth games and this game does both impeccably. There are NO issues here - none. Not one fault. OK, maybe the fact that the guards aren't bright at times and are easy to take advantage of - until you play the highest difficulty (after the game is completed) then you wish it wasn't this hard. The artwork is similar to old school Disney and Genndy Tartoksky's "Samurai Jack" with tons of blood and violence. The backgrounds move and fluctuate and are brilliantly rendered. It's almost like a piece of art hanging at the MoMA. The movements, attacks and tactics are versatile and unique and the player can choose between which best suits them or even which not to use at all with the option to choose some or none. The upgrade system is simple and fluid with no complications or annoyances. Enemies are sharp,adaptive and deadly. Level designs are articulate and challenging with hidden items through. The foley work is excellent as well as the music. The writing is sharp and the plot is engaging. Even the hailkus in the game are brilliantly written. How many games can you say that about?! It's worth more than it's going for and has great replay value. It gets my vote for best game of 2012. Expand
  84. Jan 7, 2013
    This is the best 2D stealth game I've ever played, and is only beat by the Arkham games for general stealth. Being reckless will get you killed as it should in any stealth game, but even an action approach, if done correctly, can take down a room full of guards. This opens up various options for combat, or even pure, violence-free stealth.
  85. Jan 7, 2013
    As a stealth game, Mark of the Ninja excels. It eschews the typical snail's pace of most stealth games and lets you jump and grapple your way into position for quick and deadly stealth kills. There's still plenty of sneaking past guards and hiding behind pots, but there's also plenty of silent and deadly action. It does a great job of making you feel like a ninja.

Unfortunately,
    everything else about this game is awful. The controls are far too limited, with buttons serving far too many functions causing you to constantly do the wrong thing at a crucial moment. Puzzles are exercises in tedium, rather than creativity, as you painstakingly work your way through rooms performing tasks to complete a mechanism that you figured out within 15 seconds. Then if you mishandle the controls, you end up having to repeat the entire process. Killing guards is extremely repetitive, and for some reason forces you to perform a quick-time event (press a random button in a short time limit) to succeed. Every time. There's a variety of tools that you can use, but none of them adds much beyond a flamboyant way to achieve what you could do just as easily without the tools. The trap sections are horribly designed, and combined with the limited field of view in 2D, simply force you to use trial and error. Prepare to reload your game a lot as you work your way through trap levels, figuring out what will and won't kill you by getting killed by it (or not).

By far the worst aspect of this game, however, is its checkpoint save system. After having to restart a mission four times, from scratch, due to being auto-saved in an impossible position, I eventually gave up on even finishing the game. You have no control over when the game saves, and once it does you're unable to revert to a previous save. In my case, I'd timed things perfectly to slip past one guard, kill another, and escape. Unfortunately halfway through doing this, I hit a checkpoint save. From that point on, every time I reloaded, both guards saw me and shot me to pieces before I could so much as jump to safety. The only solution? Play through the first 40 minutes of the level again. For the fifth time. No thanks.

The parts of this game that work, work fantastically. Unfortunately it needed a far better PC port, and less gimmicks (like QTEs and repetitive puzzles). Skip it unless you love being forced to replay the same content through no fault of your own.
  86. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is an incredible contribution to the stealth genre. Its controls are tight, its art style is amazing, Its system on how it rewards different play styles is well done, and the story can actually be good at times. If it wasn't for the lackluster ending, I would've probably gave Mark of the Ninja 10/10, but aside from that, this game is definitely a must buy for anyone who enjoys the stealth or action genre. Expand
  87. Jan 2, 2013
    I bought this game because it was on sale for Steam and was about stealth. 12 hours later, I am still trying to finish the achievements and looking for new ways to kill those guards. The game is somewhat linear but there are a couple options on how to take down guards and/or sneak past them. If you want a real challenge, try to sneak by the level without killing a guard or being seen. This game has a lot of replay for me. Expand
  88. Jan 2, 2013
    If you like old-school side-scollers you're in for a treat. Fantastic gameplay all around. The controls can be a little sticky at first, but in no time you'll be zipping around and dispatching enemies like its 2nd nature. The levels are interesting, with always multiple ways to beat them. The stealth mechanics are really something special, with light, sounds, and LOS/cover really playing well together. Leaning up against a door to 'hear' what's on the other side, or creeping along the underside of a sewer 'seeing' the footsteps of the guards above is really something special. Stringing up bodies to scare the guards is just hilarious. There's alot of little details that make this game so much fun. The story is deeper than you expect at first, and plays out subtly but very well by the end. Lots of secret levels/items/upgrades hidden around. A solid game across the board and well worth the $10-$20 price tag. Expand
  89. Jan 2, 2013
    An unexpectedly good game. I'm not a big fan of the Shank games, but this one is very addictive with tons of replayability.
    The first playthrough was fun, story kept me interested until the end (which was kind of mind blowing). However, the real fun stared after unlocking additional costumes and features, which enabled me to play the game again in a completely different way. You can play
    as a merciless assassin, a true unseen ninja or a trickster that likes to mess with enemy's mind.
    The controls need a while to get used to. It might happen to you that you will fall off a ledge, even though you only wanted to take a peek. Once you get used to the controls, you will be able to maneuver quickly and do fancy ninja techniques without any problems.
    The overall gameplay experience is absolutely amazing also thanks to the clean graphics. You always know what is happening around you and what you can do about it.
    The game is available on Steam, so you can wait for a discount to grab it, but it's definitely worth it, if you're into stealthy action games.
  90. Dec 30, 2012
    First of all, I really never liked platform games. Being an older gamer, I am a K/M kinda guy. I was a big fan of the Thief series some years back. After so many great reviews, I finally downloaded this and I must say am really nicely impressed. All the stealth tools are there...and its a platform game! The checkpoint system is good. I think the devs at Klei have come up with a really good solid game in a time when they are few and far between. Is it perfect? No. Is it enjoyable? Yes it really is! Once I was through my "platform" block, this little gem came shining through. The price is awesome and this one really rocks!! Expand
  91. Dec 29, 2012
    Okay, first of all let me ask a question: what is pop up in your mind when some one ask you about stealth game?? Most of the peoples answer is splinter cell series or hitman series. Most of the stealth game was 3D. But Mark of The Ninja kind of rewrite the history. This is the first pc game which bring stealthy game play in 2D platform. Basically it is a fusion of action, stealth and platform game. Game story is perfect and the game physics and game dynamics is really cool. If you still hesitate I can give you word that after playing this game you will not regret. Expand
  92. Dec 29, 2012
    It's very refreshing to see such a distinct game every now and then. In a market full of RTS and FPS games, a stealth one is very welcome. And I hadn't seen such a good one ever since Thief came out.

So I bought it and have been playing for the last few days. It's already in my favorites in Steam. The level design is gracious and the art is wonderful and eye catching. Also loved the
    gameplay. The only reason I'm not giving it a 10 is because of the shallow, hollow story. Expand
  93. Dec 26, 2012
    A new take on the stealth genre, I believe that Mark of the Ninja does its job in showing that not all good stealth games need to be in 3D. It is interesting and fun play. Overall the game does do what a game should set out to do...mainly entertain. It has a nice story line that can get most anyone involved with the mission. The missions get longer and harder as one progress making one have to constantly view the surroundings in order to avoid almost instant death. The most interesting part is that you cannot go guns blazing ever because as it turns out your fists and kunai don't kill people, only your sword does. While the concept is there, Mark does fail in a few categories, namely the visibility and movement. I would prefer that the entire outer point of the screen not be all foggy, but this is quickly fixed by a check box in the settings. My real problem with the game is frankly the lack of color unless the room is lighted in which case your probably dead by getting shot and the movement because I doubt a ninja hasn't been trained to run silently, so for most of the game one is moving at a slow pace. Repetition is very obvious as the game progress so don't think that you can beat the game in one sitting, you'll probably get bored before you finish. Don't be chased away however because of these relatively small problems. The leaderboards for every level give a huge incentive to replay some of your best moments and the killing scenes are frankly done just right, but not too many variety to kill someone unless you start getting the power ups which start a bit too late for my taste. Great game to play, frankly one that should be taken time with not just sped through. Would recommend to those who have their tablets in which case its perfect and some core gamers looking for an indie game that steps outside lines and still delivers. Collapse
  94. Dec 26, 2012
    Very fun and well made game. It's a 2D platformer, but it doesn't need to be anything else. Everything is done just right. If you liked the platform games of the 80s and early 90s on the old Atari systems etc, you will probably like it. If your a COD kid you will probably hate it because it doesn't have amazing graphics and a new release every 3 months.
  95. Dec 24, 2012
    One of the best 2D stealth games I have ever played. Grabbed it for $10 during a Steam sale and I'm loving. The art style is amazing, the gameplay is fluid and the ending... Well, just play it for yourself to see.
  96. Dec 21, 2012
    I got this game on steam just without any expectations. And I got really surprised how good it is. The game reminds you with its art style of some old times when we played games on commodore or some earlier pc platforms. But this game is really fun, I played it trough in 1-2 days. Only its a bit to short.
  97. Dec 20, 2012
    A really bad game. The graphics don't even exist here. Everything is black; not even white!!
    Don't waste even one dollar to buy this game, you'll regret it the next second!!
    A 2D boring black game doesn't have place into my games collection!!
  98. Dec 4, 2012
    Mark of the Ninja is an awesome game. The one aspect of the game which I dont think is awesome would be the actual storyline. Aside from that I loved everything about it. My favourite thing would have to be the way in which the game gets harder as you go along, and after you finish it there is new game+ which really amps up the difficulty. Not often that you get to feel overpowered and challenged at the same time. There is also a lot of freedom in how you choose to go about doing the levels, be it super sneaky of super stabby. As a side note its total BS that the game is boring at the 50% mark. Most of the more challenging obstacles and traps are only towards the end of the game and there is a new game plus really adds to the re-playability imo. Expand
  99. Dec 1, 2012
    Here is a great stealth game that places a bar on all other stealth games in the future. The game sports a 2D platform type of gameplay with a focus on stealth and tactical maneuvering rather than a full action combat. The game has fluid animation, beautifully created atmosphere, challenging (yet not frustrating) puzzles and encouragement of user creativity during missions, but of course like with all things, it has it's flaws. It's 2D perspective sometimes make item interactivity a bit annoying (trying to interact with object A ends you up interacting with object B). Still, this is just a minor inconvenience and the overwhelming amounts of innovation in gameplay could more than make up for it. This is a game well suited for anyone who likes gaming for their gameplay and mechanics over superior graphics. Mark of the Ninja is a simple and easy to learn game yet stands above some of the more popular games this past few years. Expand
  100. Dec 26, 2012

A dreamy amalgamation of Shinoby, Deus Ex and Thief. It’s not only the best downloadable game of the year, but a welcome gift for fans of pure stealth gameplay. [November 2012]
    Splendid stealth platformer offers high levels of addictiveness. Surely aspiring to the title of "Independent title of the year". [Dec 2012]
  3. Nov 29, 2012
    Corvo Attano and Agent 47 couldn't possibly have expected that a platformer from the creators of Shank would stab them in the backs and claim the title of this year's best stealth game.