6.6

1. Jun 4, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is an action role playing/ hack n' slash style game, very similar to games like Diablo, Titan Quest, and Torchlight.

I'd like to start off by saying that the heroes themselves are great. Each has an array of unique super powers that really fit that particular hero, and the animations on them are generally excellent. Hulk leaps into the air and comes down with a thunderous
    smash which sends enemies flying, Black Panther flips around like a ninja slicing through villains, Ms. Marvel blasts foes with photon beams, etc.. You really feel like you are playing Wolverine, or Iron Man, or whatever hero you picked. They did a really great job with the super powers. Unfortunately though, that in itself doesn't make a great game, and I don't think there's enough of a game here to keep people around for very long.

Marvel Heroes right now only has about 20 hours worth of content or so, which is enough to get you to about level 25 out of 60 levels. By around that time you'll be at the final boss of the game, and then after that there is no 2nd, 3rd, 4th+ play through. So in this way Marvel Heroes deviates from games like Diablo 2/3, Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, etc., who all offer more challenging or higher level game modes after you beat the game. In Marvel Heroes the "end game" (which apparently begins around level 25), consists of doing "daily-quest" style missions, many of which feel designed for groups. So, after you get to around level 25, the main story will be over, and you're going to be doing these daily missions all the way to level 60. Again, some of these missions are designed for groups, and there is no grouping tool instituted into the game. So, unless you've got some good gaming friends who can always play when you do, you're going to be spending a lot of your time looking to form a group to complete these missions, for about 35 levels.

I gotta say that it just feels like there wasn't enough content ready for the launch of this game, so they released it with only enough to get you to about level 25. Once you beat the final boss, the only option you have for leveling your hero is doing these daily missions, (which basically just consists of killing bosses you've killed before). After about level 30, the experience rates slow down considerably, so you are going to be doing these daily missions for a very, very long time. In fact, the main story of the game, (again, about 20 hours worth), is a mere drop in the bucket compared to how much time you are going to be doing daily quests to get to level 60. Why they choose to go this route, (the daily quests), instead of having players play through the story again on a more challenging setting is a mystery to me. Of course the game has a cash shop, where they sell +experience rate potions for $1.80 a piece, (they last an hour). These potions will stack up to four or five times, so if you're willing to spend $7-9 an hour playing Marvel Heroes, the grind to level 60 probably won't be too terrible.

Another big issue with the game is the fact that the gear is incredibly boring. In games like Borderlands 2 or Diablo 2, all the players know exactly what awesome items they are hunting for when they play, and they can refer to them by name. In Marvel Heroes, there are no iconic legendary type items that everyone talks about, all of it is just the same generic mask or boots but with some added stats. I don't think there are any item sets to collect either. Also, none of the gear you find will change your character's appearance. No matter what you equip in your gear slots, the heroes will always look like they have the exact same gear on. You can buy new costumes for them in the cash shop, some for like $12 a piece, and there are certain crafting items that will add a small visual effect to a costume, (a glow or an aura). I went 25 levels without ever finding one of these visual effects, so my hero looks the exact same way now as he did at level 1.

Other issues i have with the game are almost too numerous to mention. The content feels like the biggest design motivation was coming in under budget and on time. In Marvel Heroes the side "dungeons", which in other games might be multiple levels, are generally just a room with 3 bad guys and a loot chest. "Elite" enemies are just glowing bigger versions of regular bad guys, with really no new mechanics or abilities. You need to "donate" junk items to the vendors and crafter to level them up, so you literally have to pick up everything. Crafting materials don't stack, med kits only stack to 5, so your bag is constantly full. Having to stop playing and empty your bag every 8 minutes really interrupts the action. The map is horrendous and doesn't serve the player well at all. The game does a terrible job letting players know what content is designed for solo play vs. what content has grouping in mind, (some boss fights and missions are extremely unfriendly to solo players). The game is riddled with serious bugs.
  2. Jun 4, 2013
    This game is a ton of fun. It a terribly rocky launch but things are smooth now. It still has bugs though but that's common with launches. They should be ironed out soon. Every character is a blast to play and after beating the main missions the end game content will keep you coming back for more. I'm not much of PVPer so you'll have to check another review for that. Right now the game is a 7 out 10 with potential to be a 9 or 10 once everything is more balanced and the bugs are gone. Expand
  3. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is really fun and powerful. Furthermore. Marvel Heroes excel in quality.
    To me, Marvel Heroes just by being able to play is an honor.
    plainly, MH is similar to Diablo. but Marvel Heroes is far more powerful than Diablo.
    Ordinary person as well as MH's fan will love Marvel Heroes.
  4. Jun 6, 2013
    Solid ARPG. Some slight balancing issues (Magneto is awful for some heroes), the pricing isn't very good, and the game is pretty short meaning nonstop daily farming or running alts. Gaz's does a good job addressing bugs in a timely manner.
  5. Jun 4, 2013
    I have been playing this game for just over 3 months now in closed beta and I must say that it is a blast to play. If you liked Marvel Ultimate Alliance, X-Men Legends and Diablo, then you will probably like this game. All the heroes are fun to use and, for the most part, combat is exciting and fast paced. The combat is pretty smooth and the abilities have nice particle effects. The loot is pretty good and the itemization is much better than D3 at launch and they are in the process of implementing new loot in the near future. This is a F2P game, so expect to spend money if you want a specific hero or costume right now... but all that content drops for free in game if you are lucky.

In conclusion, this is a F2P game that will be changing and improving as time goes on. If you love the Marvel license and Diablo, give it a shot... you have nothing to lose, but hours and hours of time due to addictino.
  6. Jun 4, 2013
    PoE and grim Dawn are what you want in an arpg imo. I play this. I even bought a pack. 60$ spent and i got 300G. I can buy 2 characters i hate or 1 i like. You do get 1 starter character free. But you can only choose Storm,Thing,Hawkeye, or DD, Oh and Scarlet Witch. 1$=100 G. Spidey is 2000G. The gameplay is ok. The powers and characters are better. They sadly fall into the 3 archtypes, Tank,Rdps,Mdps. I play as colossus. I get killed by Pyro's on the regular, and Bullets wear down my armor....Wolvey's Healing Factor isn't close to being right. The Stats on the bio sheets don't even match the Marvel verses. The worst for me is how it seems on any map I am affected by other peoples lag. Even in the Avengers Tower Hub or X-Mansion, It only takes over 20 people to be in there and the game will hang up in these .4 second burst of stutter. It's F2p so if you like arpg's or Marvel you should try it. I'm just going to pretend like they have a LoD type patch/dlc for us later. Expand
  7. Jun 4, 2013
    The game has its flaws but is alot of fun.

Alot of people complain about the limited number of heroes (currently 21, soon to be 26), but each hero is so unique and fun to play that it really becomes a non issue. Plus you can build each hero in different ways and wear different costumes, so you never really feel like a clone, and even if you did, smashing everything up as the hulk is
    just too much fun to be legal.

If you are on the fence about the game, it's free. Ignore the haters, pick any of the starter heroes and watch your time dissapear. You won't regret it.
  8. Jun 4, 2013
    £64 for a dlc with only 4 characters and 8 skins? I don't like the fact that everyone was running around as the same characters and found gameplay to be bland it got very repetitive very fast. I won't be picking this game up again. Disappointing as i wanted it to be so much more.
  9. Jun 6, 2013
    Simply a great ARPG with cool Marvel Heroes, good power trees, and a fun loot game. The public zones have shared quests that combine the Diablo-like mechanic with indie games like Realm of the Mad God. It has a cash shop, but EVERYTHING in there also drops in game so it rewards play time as much as cash.
  10. Jun 9, 2013
    The beta and official launch of the game was a shining example of Gazillion's lack of experience in the industry. If you're not interested in seeing anything ground breaking and are merely looking for something to play to pass the time then it's worth it, but if you're expecting a high quality AAA product then you're better off looking elsewhere. The following are a few key points:

Story campaign is very short (8-12 hours max to complete)

- End game is extremely repetitive (same missions over and over with slow experience gain)

- Heroes don't differ much. The mechanics are very close from hero to hero they just change the graphic/name of skill.

- As expected Hero balancing is off the charts bad. Many useless skills resulting in very one dimensional builds. PvP balance is non existent. The developers work on the game much like an amateurish mod team with each developer making changes individually without any extensive thought process or collaboration with the other hero developers.

Essentially you'd play this game because you enjoy the idea of playing of one of your favorite comic book/movie heroes; however, what you have pictured in your head and what will transpire in game in terms of your heroes power are drastically different. Iconic heroes are beat up by common thugs late game. Range heroes are king while melee heroes litter the field with their corpse. However, the game is free so what do you have to lose?
  11. Jun 4, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is an average Action RPG. It follows in the footsteps Diablo, Path of Exile, and Torchlight. I would say the game has turned out to be average. It provides decent entertainment and it's free to play. If you're a fan of these style of games as well as a fan of Marvel, why not give it a try.
  12. Jun 10, 2013
    If this game had launched with anything but marvel in its title. everything about it would have been trashed. That being said, the only redeeming features of the game are its playable characters (almost all of which are buried beneath an insane cash shop) and the stylized comic cutscenes.

Outside of that, you have a poor mans diablo which costs nearly 300% more to unlock the basic
    features of the same game. Expand
  13. Sep 7, 2013
    I want to update my previous review score of a six up to nine with the new 1.2 patch now being live. From launch to now the game has improved dramatically. Heroes feel much more fun an heroic. Defense has been overhauled. There are now multiple difficulties of the story along with the end game mission terminals. They have added some interesting loot options, most recently unique items for each hero and a new type of item slot. There is now a far more reliable way to earn heroes/upgrades to your ultimate ability. I'm sure there are even more upgrades I love that i am forgetting, but this at least scratches the surface. Expand
  14. X0R
    Jun 11, 2013
    I played the beta, and should have known better than wasting money on it but I did. Ah well. It is not my cup of tea. There are 100 reviews here on this game, so I won't repeat other than commenting that personally, there isn't a whole lot of thrill/fun/excitement to keep me logged in for longer than 15-20mins.

Sure I knew in advance that there is no customization of characters to
    make yours unique, the AI is pretty predictable, the missions are predictable but I thought it might have some entertaining value. Nah zero value for me. Expand
  15. Jun 4, 2013
    the game is a direct clone of the original Diablo series...but lacks any amount of depth in most areas. Though they have done a great job of capturing the look of the Marvel Heroes..thats pretty much all this game has done. the core game has enough content that you will complete it within your first 20-22 levels... then it becomes a tedious grind as you work your way to 60 using not the open world you level in...but standing around running your short repeats of boss fights at mission terminals.

Skill trees are shallow, and odds are every person playing the same hero, will have the exact same setup. This is because Gazillion decided to lock re-specing your hero in their cash shop...making the idea of experimenting with builds (one of the main hooks in the Diablo series) an expensive one at $5 bucks a pop. The "retcon" as it it is called does have a very very small chance at dropping in game, but checking in the forums, many, many people have played up to level 30+ already, and never gotten one...not that a single one would be much good anyhow. And since you can only have one of each hero...and their is no re rolling..you are stuck with any skills you chose, or you must pay them.
    And speaking of the cash shop...

People like to say "But it's free..." Well, yes..but no it isn't. Of the 20 available characters, you get to choose ONE of 5 starters (Daredevil, Scarlet Witch, Storm, thing and Hawkeye). You also have 2 chances between the start and story finish where you MIGHT get another of the starters (I say might, because they have made it random..so you could end up with copies of the one you already have... thats right.. you can recieve duplicate character tokens...but you can only have one of any hero..so the duplicates must be used post level 30 to upgrade your Ultimate Power.... Lame.

Characters average about between $6 $20 each. Costumes from $10- $15. Mind you, this is to repeat the same content, and costumes add nothing but an appearance change...yet they charge as though you are getting a new game each time. Tie inthe fact that these are also supposed to have a chance to drop in game...but it's purely random. so if you have plans to play a specific hero, you're encouraged to buy it in the store, as your chance of getting THE ONE YOU WANT are slim to none. Again, drop rates are tweaked t be under 1% chance..from ANY mob (no place you can farm for a specific drop..it's all random, and from anything). And of course it's because they are pushing their overpriced cash shop. How overpriced you say...well, at last count, the Ultimate pack, which was pre sold for 200.00 (already ridiculous) wouold cost you close to $1,500.00 after launch, if you tried to buy what all was included (and that wasn't including the missing 5-6 characters that didnt make launch.

Early access was a mess, with many many people still not able to logon to the game as late as yesterday. Bugs abound from sounds to graphics. Characters have zero balance, abilities not scaling, or working, what they call PvP....uuugh. Lets also not leave out, that once you clear the story mode, that their is no additional content to keep you leveling to 60..other than the mission terminals I mentioned. Which is simply bosses with their powers boosted in a cheesy way...oh..and characters made WEAKER as y ou add people to your group. Made weaker so that the boss is "more challenging"... but it's more like broken. And also, another item, cosmic keys, you must pay for (or hope the RNG gods are good to you) to enter special content. Content behind a pay-wall...again.

So if you are into Marvel comics, then this game will cater you you visually...but if you are looking for innovative, fun gameplay, and fair pricing this is not the game you're looking for. If you are looking for an MMO (as they want to call this thing..lol), then this is definitely not for you.
  16. Jun 8, 2013
    For an honest, accurate and complete review check out the review on Rock, Paper, Shotgun. They were given 10,000 G credits in game and still hated it.

Personally, i would much rather pay $60 for a polished single player game with access to any hero I want, that i can customize anyway I want, rather than this blatant cash grab FTP model. Lots of comparisons to Diablo 2 because one of the
    devs for that game also worked on MH. However, D2 is the epitome of a loot based, fun adventure game. MH is just boring. I defeated the final boss, Dr. Doom, at level 24. After that you have to do the same daily missions over and over to get to max level. There is no endgame content at all!!! I never had any hero or costume drops from levels 1 to 24. Apparently those dont drop until you are at max level.

Really disappointed in this game. After I defeated Dr. Doom I felt no satisfaction or accomplishment at all. I uninstalled the game after just a few days of boring gameplay.

All of the people claiming that negative reviews of this game are biased just because its FTP are totally missing the point. It's not necessarily the FTP model that i dislike, (although in this case it is a pretty bad FTP model) ITS THE GAME I DISLIKE!!!
  17. Jun 4, 2013
    Looking at the patch notes and seeing no cure for the arduous grind, lack of any update to visual effects or character animations that have been severely lacking for a long time, awful itemization, overly repetitive endgame and simplistic enemy design, greedy cash shop, awkward looking combat with very little visual recognition making many attacks lack any sense of impact. It pales in comparison at launch to nearly every single ARPG on the market, even Diablo 3 is of a higher quality than this(a game which David Brevik hypocritically called out for being poor, while committing the exact same mistakes Blizzard did in his own new take on the ARPG genre).

I did spend 200$ for the Ultimate Pack, but am very disappointed with the little effort they've been putting in ever since they introduced the endgame patch. I know this game is going to receive low review scores, and ratings. I knew it would before it was even released. The only thing I care about is seeing whether that negative criticism will influence them to actually make some substantial changes.

In the beta, and even during the week long pre-release event a lot of people have been voicing some extremely relevant criticism that has not even been touched on by the developers, and that is extremely worrying to me. They have to be aware of all of these problems and are taking a wait and see approach to how the influx of people respond to their game. The things we all pointed out were sticking points that most of us knew would bring in negative press if they didn't attempt to fix them, but they chose to ignore or at least not openly acknowledge the concerns we raised.

I have to say, this game is a very interesting combination of Marvel 'Diablo'(ARPG) which I think most video game enthusiasts consider a match made in heaven. I did too, that was why I (wrongly) bought the Ultimate Pack. Having reached level 36 in this pre-release and losing almost every ounce of motivation to continue given the grind wall I had hit and the repetitive and unforgiving nature of solo play at later levels, I am going to take a wait-and-see approach to whether I am going to devote a significant amount of time to this game. I may play a little bit for the next few weeks, but I can't see it lasting.

Based on the choices they've made, if the metacritic score is terrible, nobody could say they didn't see it coming.
  18. Jun 13, 2013
    The game has some rough edges that I hope will be resolved in the near future. In the meantime, I am having fun playing as some of my favorite Marvel heroes.
  19. Jun 5, 2013
    the games combat system is boring and i mean boring its so uncreative and a lot of your hero skills are uselss to be honest. id rather have paid 50 bucks for a game were i dont get nickled and dimed for each super hero i want to play as. the super heros themseves are over priced as hell. people are way to forgiving about games now days just cause a game is f2p or just released doesnt mean its an excuse to make something halfed asssed. this could of been a great game but it just isnt to be quite honest i feel bad for the people who bought founder packs. the in game currency is useless the only thing i found myself buying was med kits but after a couple of hours i found those useless as well. id give it a 4 out of 10 could of been higher but its just less then average game out there and feels very bland. there are much better f2p choices out there Expand
  20. Jun 4, 2013
    This game has a lot of potential, sadly it is unlikely to improve given the history of patches Gazillion has put out over the last 6 months in closed beta. The game has hundreds of bugs, runs very poorly on a Radeon 7950 gaming desktop, and there is very little depth to the game. Most of the skills don't work as described, synergies aren't working correctly, critical hits don't work on certain types of abilities, etc. There's just so many things that don't work and for them to release this game as "Final" is all the proof you need that Gazillion is not a developer you should give money to.

Again, the game itself is great. The execution is awful, I'm so disappointed and wish I hadn't spent $60 now.
  21. Jun 5, 2013
    I REALLY wanted this game to be good because I grew up watching the X-men cartoons and I'm a big fan of ARPGs and MMOs. Unfortunately, after a couple hours, I was extremely disappointed.

Here is how Marvel Heroes works: I run into a room, right click every enemy once (because they all die in 1 hit no matter what they are), pick up my loot, and move on. I know that ARPG games are
    generally easy at the beginning, but I could play this with my eyes closed. After leveling for a few hours, it didn't get any harder. Bosses are the same except they take more than 1 hit to kill and I might have to use a health kit. No strategy needed, just face tank and right click.

Aside from that, there are tons of little things that just bother me about this game. Gear does not affect your appearance in ANY way and there are hundreds of characters running around that look EXACTLY like me. Throwing wooden crates at an enemy seems to do more damage than shooting them with lightning (wtf?). Many enemies drop "experience orbs" and I just do not understand the purpose of giving players exp in orb form. The Thing's charge ability appears to be broken and he ends up on the other side of enemies instead of charging into them (would make more sense if you saw a video)

Maybe this is one of those games that only gets good towards the end when your character(s) is developed a little more. Sadly, there is not much incentive to play that far for me.

I truly feel sorry for any die-hard Marvel fan that dropped $200 into this game for a founder's pack. It just isn't good.

22. Jun 4, 2013
    The game is a lot of fun. It's taking a little bit to get the kinks out, but a licensed rpg can be a real pain to balance. The heroes all feel unique and the game does an amazing job staying true to marvel lore.
    There were issues with early launch but gaz stepped up and is offering compensation. I have no regrets about purchasing characters and would recomend this game to any arpg or
    comic fans out there. Expand
  23. Jun 6, 2013
    Even if this game was ready to launch, and didnt have tons of coding and optimization issues, it would only be an ok game. The gameplay is fun when you arent crashing due to memory leaks, but there just isnt much to do after your first playthrough. The crafting is lame and a money grab (seriously, the mats dont stack? better buy some stash space) You even have to pay for daily missions. They should have used the LoL business model they originally said they were going to use, but they realized this game would not have the staying power of LoL and had to make it a money pit. Play for free after they fix the game, maybe a months from now. Beat the game with a free hero, then move on to something else. Expand
  24. Jun 11, 2013
    If you like Marvel comics and you enjoyed Diablo 2 then this is a no brainer, the graphics are great and the overall story is classic Marvel. I am loving this game!
  25. Jun 4, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is a free-2-play hack and slash game, much like the Diablo franchise by Blizzard. When you first start off, you are given a choice between a small handful of heroes. I am told that as you play the game, you can unlock more heroes, but after playing two hours, I have only unlocked one other hero, one I didn't even want.

In order to buy new heroes, you'll need to do some
    sort of stupid currency conversion like all stupid new free-2-play games go. Right now heroes go for a little over $10.00 a hero, which is really unreasonable if you ask me. Some heroes are "worth" more then others and I don't really understand why.

It's your standard fare hack and slash with some hero elements thrown in. For the most part you will be sharing zones with other players, which is really annoying. When you participate in group fights, instead of allowing each person to have their own private loot, it all hits the floor, making you fight for loot drops.

Equipment is pretty shallow, there's nothing really "epic" about the equipment you find in the game. None of the equipment changes how your player looks, instead, once again, you need to buy stuff in their cash shop and the new equipment designs are pretty expensive, around $10.00 a costume swap. This causes the game to have hordes of the same looking characters, which really ruins the experience of the game.

I am told it's actually possible to find everything just by playing the game that you can buy in the cash shop, I am not sure how much of that I believe, after all, after two hours I haven't seen anything like that drop. If you are criminally insane, you can pay $200.00 to unlock everything in the game, I am not sure why people consider this acceptable and the people encouraging that kind of blatant cash grab should be ashamed of themselves.

It's nothing amazing, it's nothing new and for people wanting to spend money, it's incredibly expensive.
  26. Jun 8, 2013
    Fun game, when you can play. With each new update Gazillion makes you RE- download the entire game. Waiting for hours on end to play is irritating at best. I feel bad for the people that paid for this. The heroes are fun, and vary which helps to keep it interesting. Its just too bad they wrecked the delivery system, this could have been a blast.
  27. Jun 7, 2013
    Welll what can I say..... This game is a lot like a Diablo type hack and slash game, but reallllly boring. The level design is so bland. The enemies are like attack of the clones, there is very little variation. I almost fell asleep after 1hr of playing. Do yourself a favor and save the 11 gig download for another game.
  28. Jun 13, 2013
    I absolutely love this game. The devs have done a fantastic job of rolling out the bug fixes and character balancing changes on a regular basis, and every hero I've tried is fun in it's own way.

This game is made by David Brevik himself (he created Diablo 1 and 2) so it is VERY similar to Diablo 2. If you like Diablo, and you like Marvel, this game is for you. A lot of the criticism
    I've read so far is people who don't like things that were in Diablo 2, like the terrible grind to 99. The level cap for this game is 60, but it's the type of game that is not about being level 60, it's about finding gear (and new heroes, they are an in game drop too).

The main story is basically the "normal" mode and then they have mission terminals that allow you to replay the dungeons in "nightmare", "hell", or "Inferno" mode basically. They also have one survival challenge type of mission that is by far my favorite. You and 14 other players team up (the system auto groups you so you don't need to find a party) and you fight 7 waves of enemies and then a boss. It's very challenging and very rewarding (tons of exp, loot, and the best boss drops).

There's so much I could say about this game, but I'll leave it at this: If you want an ARPG like Diablo 2 then this game is for you. If you want an MMORPG like World of Warcraft, then this game will not meet your expectations.
  29. Jun 15, 2013
    The forced multiplayer for the end game, especially if you are playing one of the poorly balanced heroes that can't take down a boss, really hold this game back. I can understand the developers wanting people to play together, but people who want to play alone, and be able to actually take on the red or purple terminals, should be able to with all the heroes. They shouldn't make it harder on the solo player. If grouping is "fun" people who like that will go do it, and the people who want to solo or play maybe with one other person should be able to do that without these ridiculous pumped up bosses at the end, sometimes with powers they shouldn't even have. That ridiculous self heal is horrible game design, or ignored defenses. Pricing of the heroes in the store is really awful too. Expand
  30. Jun 9, 2013
    Fun free to play game to play BUT normally a new game would cost around $60. Nobody wants to pay $250 just to be allowed to play all the characters in the game. And will have to spend more for storage space. I will give 2 points for a fun game and a -8 for most expensive game.
  31. Jun 13, 2013
    This game is a chore.

Marvel Heroes is an endless grindfest of hundreds and hundreds of creeps. This game has no RPG elements, so think of this as an MMO action game. It's an attempt to utilize the Diablo model but reskinned with Marvel comic book elements, but in the process, it takes the worst of both and then packages it together with a blatant attempt to use comic book fandom
    against them to make money.

In terms of pros, I have none. This game fell completely flat for me.

In terms of cons, this game has horrific, perfectly-square levels that are barely broken apart by large square buildings. It's isometric, so you can't move the camera. While playing, you will often find both loot and enemies hiding behind scenery elements that any other game would take away but for some reason are left in place in this game. The bosses are uninspired; you can beat them all by simply running in a circle while they try to get you. The effects are nice to look at, but if you get ten guys on the screen all hitting AOE at once, the game will grind to a halt. If you stand in an empty area long enough, creeps will spawn and aggro you.

This game is an attempt by Marvel and Gazillion Entertainment to trick thirteen-year-old boys into begging their mothers for $84 to buy four characters they can get in the game anyway if they grind long enough. It is disrespectful to the fanbase and fails most definitions of what a game is. For me, this one was a pass.
  32. Jun 6, 2013
    People have been so impatient with this game and so spoiled. It is a hell of a lot of fun. The way I see it, $60 buys me a AAA game that lasts 6-8 hours. $20 buys me my favourite Marvel hero (in this case Thor) who I've been playing for over 20 hours. The graphics are detailed and colourful, and the skills always make you feel incredibly strong. You will find yourself getting lost just running around with random people killing everything on the screen, not even talking to them, just happily killing together. It's a refreshing experience, I would say AT LEAST try it! It's free! Expand
  33. Jun 15, 2013
    Shameful, utterly uninspired, generic isometric brawler with Marvel character skins. This is an absolutely terrible game that is blatantly exploiting the Marvel licence to severely gouge its fans. We live in time where gaming has reached a level where this type of shovelware should no longer be able to exist. It takes truly unimaginative people to turn the incredible Marvel universe into this.
  34. Jun 13, 2013
    This game is pathetic. Heroes are unbalanced, and the skill tree is awful. Not to mention it's riddled with bugs, and the most disappointing thing about this game is the fact that I was looking forward to it. Why anyone would spend 200$ on this is beyond me. I feel sorry for those that did, and hope they contact suicide prevention services immediately.
  35. Jul 25, 2013
    There is just no way that the people giving this game a 10 are real reviewers, it looks like a lot of fluff made by people paid to write reviews. The first few "10's" I clicked on have only written one review..hmmm. I sense some dirty pool. I confess I played for about an hour and wanted to like it but immediately uninstalled, it was just the same tired ARPG genre well trodden and more well done in games like D3 and torchlight 2. They slapped some marvel universe on the genre, and then charged absolutely ridiculous prices to try and buy more heroes. The initial 'get everything' pack was almost 200 dollars...., to buy all dlc would be $250. For a game that is this completely average that price point just to play with all of the heroes in this "Free to play game" is an absolute slap in the face. I literally still cannot believe they think this trash is worth $250 to anyone. It blows my mind. I saw nothing innovative, nothing new..even the loot and talent systems seemed poorly and generically done. Stay away from this waste of bandwidth to even download the title. The money grubbing aspect of free to play games has reached new heights. Expand
  36. Jul 26, 2013
    Time to open your wallets people, because this free to play game rivals Neverwinter as one of the most expensive in the history of gaming. To get 4 characters you'll be stumping up a massive £65.00. Yes that is £65.00 for a tiny subset of characters. Don't even thing about buying everything as you'll not be eating for a month if you do.

On top of that, once you've paid you'll find
    yourself playing something more akin to a facebook game.

Really, just don't bother. Grab yourself a copy of Torchlight II and have loads more fun for less.
  37. Jun 13, 2013
    A very mediocre action RPG with forced multiplayer and extremely overpriced content that you'll have to buy if you want to get the interesting heroes.

Do you yourself a huge favor and pick up Torchlight II instead. It's the price of one superhero effectively and you'll have a whole great game!
  38. Jun 14, 2013
    Below average game with lots of annoyances unless you spend big A weak clone of Diablo and Torchlight with a free to play business model that will make you broke.

The vast majority of this game is locked. In order to get more than one starter character you have to spend as much as $20 on a single character. Costumes? Those are even more. I'm not joking, if you want to look like
    the 1990s cartoon version of Cyclops, that is $15, and they go as high as $20.

To unlock all the playable characters (more are coming, like DLC) you would spend well over $100. To get the costumes, it's hundreds easily.

But that's not where the nickel and diming stop.

Inventory is pathetically small, and costs to expand.
    Cosmic Keys necessary for dailies are over $1
    Respecs cost money
    Unstable Molecules for crafting require money.
    And there is even gambling (fortune cards) for $$$

Combine that with the fact that the game isn't very good, and it's pass.

The story is pathetically terrible. You actually get beaten by a lawyer at one point.

And as far as a diablo clone goes. This one is below average at best. Mediocre boss fights that are mostly just wild spam events because of the number of players, and jumpy game play from the constant internet connection.
  39. Jun 17, 2013
    I cant believe it worse than Diablo 2. Lets talk about what was good : Variety of Heroes. Simple hack and slash, easy to play and learn. The Bad : - Bad Graphic (the entire art direction and quality is very low. not attractive) - Too few skill for each heroes - Kinder-garden Itemization - Multiplayer design is not-logical and frustrated to play with. - Pay to have Fun Exotic heroes USD20/heroes, pay to access to craft )
    (they told you everything for sell is available as a loot, but we knew it wont drop so easily)
    - Pay to Win Money can buy huge advantage and time saving features )
    - Not even Half the D2 content.
  40. Jun 21, 2013
    The game is a soulless money milking machine.
    The gameplay sucks, the graphic is outdate. There is no endgame, no itemization. Everything is just a boring grind (15 players Limbo? most supid thing I've ever seen in a game).
    Also, their customer service is rude and careless. Same for the dev, they don't care about the community and are so busy to censor intelligent posts in their forum
    than to fix the game.

This game is terrible, it is basically a broken alpha and it's going to die very soon. Do yourself a favor and avoid it.
  41. Jul 4, 2013
    I played the game for about 3 hours and then promptly uninstalled and deleted it from my computer. It's not bad but it's not good either. in the end you can tell it's just one more cash grab in an ocean of games. I knew what to expect from this game going in though I didn't have that high of expectations for it. If it wasn't for the fact it had Marvel heroes in the game nobody would be wasting their time with this game. For me it was just plain boring I was actually forcing myself to keep going in the hopes it got interesting but it didn't. Expand
  42. Jun 4, 2013
    A game that had a lot of potential, yet it was ruined with a greedy cash shop. You can still have some fun with it, but not for too long with the overpriced heroes($20 for the popular ones), insanely expensive costumes, $6 storage tabs(for a grossly small storage space, with crafting items that purposely don't stack). They even sell hour long XP boosts and item rarity boosts to make sure you have keep paying to keep up. Expand
  43. Jun 21, 2013
    I have a hard time finding anything good to say about this game other then "it's not terrible".. This game has very little that makes me want to keep playing, using the marvel universe only takes it so far. And other games does that far better then this. The free heroes they give you are the ones hardly anyone wants to play, and the popular ones are priced something stupid. Same goes for the costumes, they are ludicrously expensive. The combat is uninspired and boring and the skills the heroes get are just "meh". It's OK for what it is but apart from the universe it uses even Diablo 3 is better (i think i just barfed in my mouth a little saying that). Marvel Heroes is one of the few games that makes me feel cheated. It promised so much but delivered on so little. Expand
  44. Jul 23, 2013
    Nothing to see here, move along. Boring, repetitive, derivative game-play, uninspired graphics and, most importantly for a free-to-play game, little value for your hard earned dollars. The fatal flaws are all well covered in other reviews. It is doubtful this developer will survive long enough to build out a devoted community.
  45. Jul 23, 2013
    No one is more disappointed than I am with Marvel Heroes. Thank you for making my favorite comic characters prostitutes.

SPOILERS Follow.

No one. Maybe equal, but not more. I was basically preaching to friends about this game during the early stages. A Marvel online game, where I can be my favorite comic character? Check. Free to play. Check. Story by Bendis? Skeptical, but check.

Then I played the beta. I was worried. My laptop runs nearly all games, some at low settings quite well. These include Torchlight 2 (high), Bioshock Infinite (low), TF2 (high), Blood Dragon (medium), Borderlands 2 (medium), etc.I admit, I haven't played any large sized MMOs, but regardless of what the developers say, Marvel Heroes is NOT a MMO. It is an ARG, with heavy online hubs. This is issue one. Issue two, is the pricing. Issue three is the story. Issue four is just gameplay. But first, let us talk of issue one.

1. The online component of this game is broken. Marvel Heroes was delayed on several occasions. When the open(ish) beta happened back in April/May, you would not have been able to find any individual of the thousands of testers, many who had little experience in beta testing or are even less likely to game heavily, who would say the game was ready for release. A month later it was released, and it was worse. Several zones are STILL broken, with such framerate drop and lag occurs you have to leave the zone and skip it (if you can). There are several loopholes you can find online to modify a few game files, and in one case disabling a graphics card, but those make the situation worse in proves the game is broken. Next, finding groups is just awful, as most people don't really want to use the message function. Then, the default settings have instance auto-grouping, which is fine at first. Then after, if you're lucky, the first instance you WILL be grouped with someone who either runs or 'clips' their way through the map to the boss, kills them, zones out. You will get nothing.

2. The pricing is laughable. I understand, Gazillion made a game and should be paid for it. But the hero and costume prices are outrageous. For example, Deadpool, Wolverine, Spider-Man are $20. Costumes are $15. Yes, these items do drop, until their major 'patch' with an equally broken incentive system, but they are so rare to drop it has, and will continue, to drive players away. In my game, for the first month until I decided to take a break and evaluate my position on this game, I earned 1 costume and 1 hero, oh and 1 duplicate hero. Even their sales were disgusting. The many individuals who bought 'Founders Packs', with the Ultimate pack at $200 are already crying foul as they are STILL missing content that was promised (costumes and I believe 4 characters). No Squirrel Girl or Nova, for example.

3. I have been reading Marvel my entire life. I played all four of the 'original' ARPGs on the consoles (X-Men Legends/2, Marvel Ultimate Alliance/2) and still play them. They had excellent gameplay, and more importantly, excellent stories. Enter Marvel Heroes. Which is basically Marvel Ultimate Alliance storywise, but much much worse. Bendis pulled what I am now calling "An Age of Ultron" where it is just an incredibly disappointing story. In fact, after an attempt to follow it, and realizing I had already played through that story years ago, I began skipping the cutscenes. Oh, where is Luke Cage at in the game? He is in the majority of the scenes, but nope, not a playable character.

4. The gameplay begins quite engaging, but about halfway through the "plot" you will be bored. Especially if you lack the character drops to explore other characters. Worse, if you bought any, or a pack, you still will become bored very quickly by going through the same maps over and over again to level up the other characters. What is that you say, there are daily challenges that increase loot drops? Yes, there are, but those (other than Limbo and one other) are the same story maps with the same bosses. You just play them again and they are a higher level. Hooray. Games like MH are played for the loot. I played it for the loot. I played it for the opportunity to unlock new characters or costumes. There are no visual differences between players. None. There are dozens of Thing's, Storms, Daredevils, etc. that MIGHT have a different costume. The gear you obtain is only equip able, but not visible to yourself or anyone else. For a loot gathering game, it basically makes it pointless to collect look. Furthermore, you have no sense of progression, or challenge. I'm not saying the game needs achievements, but challenge related criteria would help keep interest (such as Borderlands/2 challenges that carry over between characters, etc). Pretty much ANYTHING to make the gameplay worthwhile and progressive.

Marvel Heroes basically made whores out of my lifelong literary companions. avoid this atrocious game, buggy, unfinished product. Marvel should be ashamed of themselves
  46. Feb 12, 2014
    This game is a sheetload of fock - seriously, all the devs care about is to know how much money they can suck off you. Their 2nd priority is to release costumes and character packs to attend to their 1st priority. Fixing bugs and glaring issues is their least priority. So before you buy anything in this game, you already know in what kind of mountain of rhino poo you are setting your feet into.
  47. Jun 27, 2013
    The combat itself is a bit slow and boring. The game feels uninspired and rushed. Defense is broken and melee characters are crushed as a result. I was a huge fan of the game but fixes and patches are slow, and most of the time make the game worse (Limbo Nerf) They (Gazillion) are a nerf company hero after hero is nerfed. If something is viewed as fun, nerf it.

Drive up the cost of
    heroes and nerf them after you buy them. Boring, old model. Expand
  48. Jun 21, 2013
    Summary: If you like Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, go play it again; its been years, you'll probably have fun. This game is a very pale shadow of that one and brings nothing new to the table.

This game is a buggy Diablo clone and proud of it. Game creation seems to have followed these steps:
    Step 1: Make a Diablo-clone engine; skimp on QA; nobody will care if the game just doesn't run or
    you have serious problems, its free-to-play.
    Step 2: Populate it with the story and some of the characters from the 7-year-old Ultimate Alliance game.
    Step 3: Release.

Where are the issues?
    In step 1, they made a decent-looking engine and packaged it with a terrible installer; patching the game has on multiple occasions caused it to stop working, completely aside from the occasional server outages, leading to a frustrating uninstall/redownload/reinstall cycle that Steam users can avoid some but not all of. This points to a lack of a decent QA department; or more likely a lack of paying attention to said department; and/or mediocre programming.

Step 2 is the more frustrating part, however. This game's plot reads very much like the plot of ultimate alliance. In fact: "Doctor Doom has a scheme involving gathering villainous allies and artifacts so that he can have divine levels of power and reshape the world in his own image; a variety of Marvel-universe heroes combine to stop him." is the plot for both games. While Ultimate Alliance took you underwater, to the far reaches of space, to demon hellscapes, cities, and all sorts, Marvel Heroes takes you to.. mostly boring earth cities and wilderness, along with places you already saw in Ultimate Alliance.

If you think I'm making alot of comparisons between the games, there's a good reason;
    Ultimate Alliance let you play as the whole roster for one price, was an action-oriented game you could play offline, local co-op, or online with friends, featured plenty of power customization, various costumes, and even some item collection, had jumping, picking and tossing items, and so forth.
    Marvel Heroes is... a 2D version of ultimate alliance with no initial cost and a much higher eventual one if you want to unlock many heroes. The gameplay is incredibly similar with the only truly noticable difference being the tedious effort of collecting and managing identical-looking pieces of gear; items that don't even impact character appearance but just background stats.

Do not play this game. Do not give these people your time or your money. For the price of the Iron Man and Spiderman unlocks for this game, you can have Ultimate Alliance in one of its many versions shipped to you, and play the same story, on much more interesting locations, with a more diverse cast of characters, still play it with your friends as a team, and not worry about the incompetent programmers at Gazillion.
  49. Jun 13, 2013
    I had such high hopes and was waiting for this game, when it came out and played it for a week to attempt to give it a go...was truly saddened. I pray to god Stan Lee does not ever see this game and is not involed with it in any way. if he is... I lost all faith in comics and died inside.
  50. Jun 12, 2013
    I would have gladly paid $40 for this game if it had a proper single player campaign. The MMO aspect and the insane pricing ($6-$20 for a single character?!?! Are you F'n kidding me?!?!?!) ruin the whole experience for me. I love ARPG's and Marvel so hopefully this will get better with future updates.
  51. Jun 12, 2013
    Steaming pile of crap. Gazillion made a cash shop first, then a game around it. I understand F2P games need to produce revenue but it seems grade D games are getting away with half assed attempts at making something decent. If they would have made a 50-60 game than this would have fell on it's face.
    Anyone that gives this game a 10 has clearly never played a video game before. Combat
    is stale, the environments are boring, level progression and skill trees are weak, the UI is dull and low res. This game is somewhat of a laughing stock. You would think Gazillion would be ashamed but it's clear that this is intended to nickle and dime marvel fanatics but slowly even those are speaking up about how poorly this game was made, marketed, and delivered. Marvel should buy back the rights from this amateur company and give it to another. Expand
  52. Jun 13, 2013
    This game has a lot of potential, but I'm afraid that it won't get there, and will become a sinkhole, if it isn't nurtured right.

I didn't know about this game until about a week before release, I didn't try the beta. I am an avid fan of the playstyle and game type, however. This game is most comparable to Diablo or Torchlight, but it lacks in many places where those games flourish.

Firstly, my premier gripe is the MMO style location setup. I simply do not need 50 people in my home base with me while I am trying to shop. It became extremely laggy in these times, and made shopping and stashing tedious and irritating. A F2P that requires a better system than mine to be playable doesn't seem to be a very good premise. This is amplified in the field where you are fighting. On one hand it is good that the creatures respawn and bosses can be fought with an alternating group; on the other hand it is extremely laggy and farming is very simply by simply standing near where a boss will respawn. I sense an easy way to abuse.

One of my favourite things about this style of game is the customization and building of a character. There is a very limited amount of skills that are selectable for the characters, and despite their being so many characters, it is still incredibly dull where character building is concerned. I don't want to have to pay money to get a new experience with a new character every month. I would prefer to build and rebuild my own character in an ever expanding myriad of ways.

I don't know much about the Marvel Universe that the normal person isn't already aware of. The costumes may be very interesting for reasons I don't know; but visually and aesthetically, they are boring. They require a level of personal attachment to a particular version of a very particular super hero. This is great for the players who want to pretend to be a very specific super hero that someone else made up. I was hoping for more customization with my own hero, and their looks, and hoping to make a character mine; not play the character designed by someone else.

A good game for a super fan. But not a game played by gamers in this genre. It is very much a niche idea designed for a particular type of person. Those people, however, will have a great time.
  53. Dec 7, 2013
    I was so eager to play an ARPG as some of the iconic characters I read about while growing up. Marvel heroes aimed to deliver that. In anticipation I bought not only one founder pack, but two! I'm all for supporting game developers especially when they have such grand ideas as this one.

Then came the release. The level cap was 60 yet they only had content in game up to level 30, and
    some rehashed maps. Still excited nonetheless I bought every hero they had, each one felt a little different than the other. I looked like everyone else so I bought a ton of costumes as well (Gear doesn't change your looks at all). I bought every hero as they were released, yet I started noticing something. For every bug in game they said they fixed, it was either not done at all, or they broke more things in the game in the process. Never have I approached a patch day with as much trepidation as I have Marvel Heroes.

I started taking my concerns to their official forums, which is always a bad idea for someone with actual criticism of a game. My girlfriend who I talked into playing also did the same. Because we logged in on the same IP address they completely banned her from the forums, and gave my account a warning flag. We both sent emails to their appeals department and never ever received a response. At this point it made her stop playing altogether. I persisted yet one day I started noticing that no one was responding to any of my posts, even the white knighters who defend everything marvel. I signed out and sure enough, my posts were no longer showing up.

I messaged a moderator about the issue and he accused me of doing things I have never done, such as violating the EULA, and actually accused me of making fun of someone's sexuality (Something I would never do, it's abhorrent when people do that online. If you feel that way say it to someone in person, I bet it's the last time you do). Knowing I was now on the Marvel Heroes 'Black Hole', I once again emailed their appeals department and received only silence.

As I also played it on steam, I was on the steam forums for the game giving away some of the extra marvel heroes cards I had earned and people needed when someone asked if it's worth playing and seperately, worth paying for.

My response was: Fun to play for free, don't spend a penny on it though. My girlfriend had her forum account banned because we use the same computer, my forum account got warning for the same incident at the exact same time. I did what they said and sent an email to their appeals department and they didn't even deign to respond. I bought not only one, but two founders packs, and every character in the game as well as stash tabs. All said and done I've spent over $400 on this game, that's not to mention the characters I bought for my girlfriend. I don't regret spending the money, I just regret it was on a game with such a bleak looking future judging from their customer service skills.

Half the roster is not even worth playing until they receive an 'update'. The game is six months old. On release they only had content up to level 30, while they have added more since then, most of the original characters remain bland and boring, or bugged. Characters I bought that they released post-launch are now starter characters new players can get for free, with zero thought to those who actually purchased them.

Recently I discovered my posts were no longer being shown on the forum because I am critical of their development process and lack of testing pre-patching the game. Not obscene or anything violating their terms, so no ban. They just put me in their forum 'Black Hole'. Gazillion is a farce and a cash grab, save yourself the cash and try something else, IMHO.

Came back the next day and low and behold, banned on there as well. By a 'Marvel Heroes Developer'
    citing 'Toxic Behavior, Banned from official forums'

Since when is criticism of a game considered toxic behavior? I am well educated and far from belligerent, I type well enough as to be understood. I just have the ability to call a spade a spade.

FYI, still not banned from the official forums, so using that as a reason to ban me on a different forum is questionable at best. Sorry for the long review, just want to let others be aware of the nightmare my girlfriend and I have gone through while trying to get them to fix more than they break. Not going to happen though so I cut my losses and moved on. Happy gaming all!

TLDR: Fun for the free aspect, read about characters before you buy them with the free currencies. Don't drop a dime on it though. Don't expect your favorite hero to be a priority for fixes/tweaks unless they have a blockbuster coming out soon.
  54. Aug 3, 2013
    Obviously, game itself is not too bad, but just not yet completed as commercial level, especially for those who bought founders packages.

Real problem of this game is its devs and testing teams. They look like never test before release, so every single big patch brings chaos to the existing game because of very simple, obvious bugs which can be prevented if they did test properly.

If
    you want to "Enjoy" the game, you'd better to wait a year to stabilize this incomplete game. Though, I think this game will be messed up before that. Expand
  55. Dec 18, 2013
    Oh dear. Where to start. Lets start with the gameplay. There is none. God is this some uninspired gameplay. Just trash mobs everywhere, absolute bottom of the barrel trash quests with empty, placeholder level design intersperesed with trash cartoon segues. A perfect storm of shyte hoping to capitalize on fanboi'ism. I felt like I was playing a flash browser game. Marvel Heroes utterly fails to pull you into it's world. The super powers are all also completely bogus because there's no real choices. You get a bunch of xp points and you just plug them into the few abilities you have that are unlocked. This is the most shallow money grab I've ever seen.

In a nutshell the game has zero soul. A game full of art assets needs to display a little creativity for me to get interested. There is none on offer here. Maybe there is but I absolutely will not slog through this turd of a game to find out. If you are a fan of bland, one dimensional superhero cartoons you might be braindead enough to enjoy this. Have at it! It's all yours.
  56. Jan 20, 2014
    Don't trust a single review of this game that is giving any rates above 8. If you doubt me, just create an account at marvel heroes' forums and check out all the names giving this game a high rate. It's the same fanboybase that is left of that game doing what they are told to by the devs - being told to head to metacritic and give this game a high rate. Just check out gazillions over the internet and see the blatant lies they spew all around to try to get this game out of life support. Expand
  57. Jun 12, 2013
    This game was a total let down. I bought the supposed Premium pack with all the unlocked characters but got nothing. Response from support was the site is still in development. Would like my back at this point in time.
  58. Jun 17, 2013
    This game is just one big disappointment, making almost every character in the Marvel universe (especially the ranged ones) incredibly boring.Seriously how can someone make Iron Man so dull? The business model is god awful as well with a character costing you up to 20$ and skins costing you up to 15. They also exploit it allot by making the more popular heroes much more expensive. The game is just so painfully average in every one of its aspects, combine that with the awful end game and buisness model and you get a real train wreck of rushed fan exploiting shovel ware. Expand
  59. Jun 12, 2013
    Myself & us that are reviewing this right now find Gazillion to be a fraud & scams. We got links of videos that will describe all, So many players were told that there packs were not charged and gone through because they want to make money and get rich on G's, Must watch shocking truth:

60. Jun 21, 2013
    This slightly lower than average ARPG is murdered by its roots in MMO and F2P. Characters are absurdly expensive or rare, so you'll be stuck with your starting hero which is just like everybody else's. The other MMO failure is that quests aren't done by you, they're done by other people. Fights are just a boring clickfest because damage is shared between the 40 odd Hawkeyes and Things next to you. And no, there is no single player remedy.
    I suppose the only upside is that it's free, so that when you figure out how boring and lifeless this game is, you won't have wasted anything other than the 11gb download.
  61. Jul 31, 2013
    I really wanted to love this game. I'm a huge fan of marvel comics (x-men in particular) though the game seems like 'Mavel Ultimate Alliance lite version'. It lacks any sort of individuality that one would desire from MMO's and lacks any sort of personalization that one enjoys from MMO's or ARPGS.

Like diablo or other mmo's when you get gear, your character doesn't change appearence,
    and how could they? You are playing characters that you haven't created. I'd recommend playing it once if you're curious about the motion-comic story, but it seems like a weak version of a game that would have been good on console, but not much to keep you playing beyond just trying out new characters. Expand
  62. Jun 11, 2013
    I love the fact that this is the first super heroe MMO that actually let's you play as your favorite super heroes! (DCUO pay attention) There needs to be a bit more characters but the game is a super polished barrel of Marvel fun.
  63. Oct 13, 2013
    MH had a lot of potential, but completely failed to deliver. It's kinda fun for a single play through, but there just isn't enough content or fun to be had to justify investing much time or money into it. Were it not for the extortionist monetization policy, I would probably have rated MH higher, but at its heart, MH is a shallow cash grab, backed by underwhelming gameplay. How this thing weighs in at 15gb is beyond me, save your bandwidth. Expand
  64. Jan 12, 2014
    Yet another mouse spamming game with too much effects, no trading and no challenge. They even added a PvP feature but that's also retarded. Also hero unlocks take weeks or you have to pay ridiculous amount of money. Stay away.
  65. Aug 4, 2013
    this game had huge potential but flopped when it decided to go 2D mouse clicking game. certainly doesnt compete with any other major MMO's out there right now. the pricing is also terrible and laughable also
  66. Jun 29, 2013
    Overprice cash shop, hero $6-$20, costume/skin $4.5 $20 (some costume even looks similar to default but different color costing $10++, EXP buff only last for 1 hour have to buy couple of stacks to get double exp buff $5-$6), Respec $3. Bank slot $5.50, Crafting bank $3 Purposely non stackable)
    Short story, up to lvl 25 then repeat same instance over and over again. And their idea of
    Sale is reduce the hero price by $1.
    Nothing feels superheroic the goon with baseball bat you meet at lvl 1 can kill you when you meet them again at higher lvl imagine ironman/hulk/capt america got beaten by 3 goon with a baseball bat)
    Character skill very balanced because pretty much got the same skill but different graphic, alot of skill is just reskinned of other skill.
    Gear/loot very very shallow. low lvl gear high lvl gear, no gear progression.
  67. Jul 2, 2013
    This video game is worst than the WarZ, evil businessman behind this game told player to waste their money to buy an expensive character and stuff (is it just because your video game using Marvel brand?), with only 5 character free and they said you can get the other in game i got the other free character. and control, it is hard to control movement attack. story is.. meh. graphic is good that's all value added for making this video game score. Expand
  68. Aug 2, 2013
    The game is bad. It's weak gameplay, characters, environments, and general feel is really weak. I've had more fun on my iPhone.
    I can see why people bash the game so hard. I feel sorry for anyone who spent money on it but there is a sucker born every minute.
  69. Jul 22, 2013
    It's a beta game, most of Heroes are broken, there are many bugs, no high end, the pvp is a joke.
    The shop prices are very expensive, and last but not least, the change without warning, because neither know what they have to charge, with the result that people pay different prices for the heroes.
    This game needs 1 more year to be completed, if not ruined before.
  70. Jul 25, 2013
    Is it a 10,or is it a 2? No one knows for sure it seems.
    Repetitive game play,cash shop that's greedy as hell,wew the storage is limited badly for a loot fest type game.That said though,it's easy to play with one hand and allow you a beer in the other.
    I would say it can only get better over time,but in the mean time DC Universe Online or even Champions Online are a better bet for right now. ;-D
  71. Jul 30, 2013
    At first when I say the trailer for this game, I thought it would be fun. Being a comic book fan my entire life, I've enjoyed games that have the heroes I grew up with. But in all honesty, this game was a big disappointment for me. The fact that there are large amounts of the same character you play in the same area is semi-hard to over look, put the game play leaves much to be desired. I do find the dialogue to be very well written, but sadly that's the only thing good I can say about this game. The fact that you either have to push through the terrible game play to get a new hero, or pay to get one, adds a sense of "pay-to-win" in this game. The characters you start out with are, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, Daredevil, the Thing, and Storm. This minimal choice leads to what I had brought up before, the fact that you end up in the same area with around another twenty versions of you. Which as you can imagine causes some confusion in the midst of battle. The overall game play was mediocre, and left you with a sense of depression. If you want a hero mmo, I suggest looking somewhere else, because this game wont even quench your thirst for as long as it takes to install. Expand
  72. Nov 2, 2013
    I advise any player who is serious about playing hack & slash action RPGs to not spend any money on Marvel Heroes and look for another game to spend their time, money and energy on. The reason for my warning is that no serious player would be able to stand what's going on in this game right now. I am going to elaborate below as to why is that.

I've been playing the game since early 2013
    while it was still in the beta and I have followed closely the progression of the patches. While certain aspects of the game have greatly improved over time, others became gradually worse.

The last couple of patches were full of nonsensical and detrimental design decisions made by the developers. When players confronted them in a civil manner and pointed out the flaws and the detrimental changes, the main developer who goes by the nickname of DoomSaw (Jeff Donais, an ex Blizzard employee) resorted to all manner of lies and deception. When he was proven to be wrong time and time again by multiple players (again in a civil manner) and it became abundantly clear he is a liar, he started resorting to silencing players by revoking their forum access, and in certain cases he resorted to outright banning players from both the forums and the game itself.

Most of the banner players are premium users people who chose to support the game by spending real money on it by purchasing hero packs, forum avatars and so on. The reward for their dedication to Marvel Heroes (dedication they showed by both spending money and dedicating time and energy to write constructive criticism) is that they are now unable to use the things they payed for they can't play the characters from the hero packs they purchased, and they can't post on the forums with the forum avatars they purchased.

This is not something which should be tolerated by any responsible player or consumer. Such behavior from lead developer should not be supported by players in any way, shape or form.

The actions of DoomSaw throughout the last couple of months will run this game into the ground if they haven't already. I advise any and all serious players who have a bit of self respect to abandon ship right now.
    You've been warned.
  73. Feb 19, 2014
    This game is trash. Elderly people and others who have never played a video game may find it somewhat amusing. It's not fun, and it's a transparent cash grab. Case in point: cosmetic items cost an average of $15-20, and heroes cost $5-15. Gazillion are out of their gourd and have NO sense of how to price things.

The game is also not fun. Just 1-click spamming, which is actually not
    typical of the ARPG genre, no matter how much people want to say it is. The amateur devs are immature, on top of not knowing how to actually code a game. There is to this day enormous lagging on boss fights. No matter if you have a monster system - the game is coded so badly that you are guaranteed to run 5FPS or worse.

Does anyone remember the Asgard "event?" The one where they hyped it up for weeks and weeks where you had to grind and mindlessly donate items to Reed Richards? And when they finally opened it up, it was literally 5 minutes of content? Lol. [Side note - the content was bugged, as Sif stood on top of the waypoint to get out of Asgard]

For some inexplicable reasons, this game has dozens of fanboys (see, e.g., the "10" ratings here). But actual gamers know to stay away from this heaping pile.
  74. Mar 5, 2014
    That game is dying, according to Steam Statistics. Do not ever try to play it, everything you'll see is a boring monotonous gameplay and Developers aimed only for your cash.
  75. Jun 25, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is billed as an MMOARPG, but is actually just an ARPG without lobbies. Developers at Gazilion have recently backpedaled and claimed that Marvel heroes is an ARPG and not an MMO.

Conveniently for Gazilion, this announcement comes after the game has launched and they have collected peoples money. On top of that Gazilion has a no refund policy.

As for the game itself,
    Marvel Heroes is a very basic and short ARPG. lacking the features of Diablio 3 and other modern ARPGs. The story mode can be finished at around level 23 and this can accomplished in a weekend of light playing.

The game is free to play, but unlike most F2P games, the entire game is designed to force you into the VERY expensive cash shop. While most F2P games offer cosmetic options, the cash shop in marvel heroes is a necessity. You will start with a selection of bland uninteresting "C roster" heroes and very little storage.

To sum up, Marvel Heroes is an ARPG with very little content and a Pay to Enjoy pricing structure. Expect to pay 12-20 bucks per Hero, and 12-20 dollars per costume.
  76. Jun 7, 2013
    Having played the game now for a good couple of days and many hours I'm ready do review and it comes down to this:

Marvel Heroes could have been a very good game, if not for the choice of "free to play".

While free to play games must offer huge revenues given the number of companies that have been jumping on its bandwagon, it is ruining the gaming industry. Marvel Heroes is another
    example of this in a long line of titles marred by petty options designed to try leech cash out of its players. Quick examples of this are:

*Only a choice of 5 characters to choose from at start, with characters to purchase ranging from $6-$20
    *New character drops currently being reported as rare as Zod runes were back in Diablo 2 days
    *Costumes for these characters costing as much, and in most cases more, than actual characters
    *Inventory space completely lacking, with payment required to open new tabs ($6 per tab)
    *Crafting items that DON'T stack in a clear ploy to promote inventory tab sales

Now any one of those points on its own ok, I could personally have let it slide on the basis they do have to make something. But all of them, for those prices, together? No.

The level of greed in the use of the free to play model here distinctively hurts game-play. It is a sad thing for me because the flow of the game, level design, quests, the feel reeks of Diablo 2. You'd expect this given some of its developers run Gazillion who are responsible for Marvel Heroes. D2 was a game I adored and played for nearly a decade before the release of Diablo 3. I'd put it to you that Marvel Heroes is still a better game than D3, although features negatives including:

*Disproportionate space use in level designs
    *High PC resource draw leading to lagging issues, especially in event boss fights
    *Even in 4 man parties and graphic options trimmed down, the screen is exploding with effects to the point of hazard/distraction
    *Occasional huge distances needing to be traveled between quests that can lead to a sense of being lost

There are good things to the game. It is a very pretty game. Each hero has a very unique and crafted experience that gives a lot of feel. Characters talk and wisecrack to other nearby heroes with character specific responses. Voice acting and cut scenes are clever in their simplicity and styling. The crafting system is simple and effective. There is no Auction House ruining the drive the driving force behind you playing; for the loots.

Yet, all of these good points for me only get this game half way, and its because the majority of those good points become a casualty in some degree to the free to play model.

All I could offer to you is that I did pay $20 for another character. I felt their time was worth of that investment at least and I have enjoyed my time so far with said purchase. Now I am left with a character I like progressing through the game, but being challenged by poor design choices to to spend more money. Ultimately, Gazillion have presented poor decisions based upon greed, with a title that offered the potential for greatness and a loyal fan base. What a shame.
  77. Jun 12, 2013
    This game resemble Diablo so much (except for the Superheroes lineup) that it is somewhat uninspiring to play.
    Graphics are average and control is very clumsy and not up to par with many current ARPGs.
    I wouldn't spend money on this game even though i love Marvel.
  78. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is not finished. This is the disclaimer developers should put on their main page. It is largely based on loot, grinding the same areas to level up so you can wear the gear you found. Except that the itemization is not finished you won't find gear for your level. No item sets, no unique items, you will level up the same area from lvl 24~ to 50 for efficiency. It is going to be hard for players to enjoy the game if they're not attracted to the Marvel universe. Super heroes are not balanced. Communication between players and staff is close to non-existent. The suggestions are ignored and the game is not optimized.

End game content is mostly a rip-off from the story. The game has a lot of competitors and needs a lot of improvements to survive in this free to play world. Give the game a chance in a few months when they finally learn from their mistakes and correct the flaws, or play now if you're hooked by the loot system which I insist suffers from bad scaling.

I wish the developers good luck because there is a lot of hard work for this incomplete game which should still be in close beta.
  79. Jun 21, 2013
    Marvel Heroes isn't interesting game. One of few good things are that it's free. And that heroes are interesting and have nicely done abilities. And story isn't always so boring. And those are the good things.

Well bad things? Well for start, if you didn't buy any hero pack, you have to pay 10-20 for one hero. Plus another for the costume. So like 40 for Iron Man and 1 of his costume.
    And who want 's to pay 160 for free game before it's released?

Loot isn't interesting. Level-up-ing abilities are boring. Starting heroes are boring and getting a hero for loot is extremely rare. I go Thing. And haven't got after that. And there's no way to get those in-game money. You have to pay for it or wait for ultra-rare loot. And you're not gonna play for that long. Story is almost always boring. It tries to have Marvel Ultimate Alliance's story but it don't have. Controls aren't so good.

So it's worth trying if you're Marvel fan. It's free game.
  80. Jun 22, 2013
    This game begins really fun, but quickly turns into a grind fest. Playing through the 8 chapters of the game, you will feel like a hero and have a lot of fun, but around level 23-25 you finish the main story and enter grind fest. The level cap is 60, but the game ends before you are even halfway through the game.

The rest of the game is spend running the same missions you've completed
    before over and over and over again for a lower rate of experience. By design, this game is slow and plodding.

Now, if you want to get new heroes to play, you can forget about the hero drops that the game promises can drop from any mob. Even with special item find gear on, your chances of ever getting a hero are slim at best. If you go to the Gaz store, you will find the products there so ridiculously overpriced.

Lastly, Gaz has proven that they do not listen to or care about their players. Every patch makes the game more grindy while they nerf (sometimes stealth nerfs) heroes and reduce the amount of expedience earned.

PVP is a joke. Heroes who are level 60 will run over dozens and dozens of lower level heroes. Many of the current high level heroes got that way through early game exploits and bugs. To the johnny come late heroes, you will never be able to get to 60 much less compete with anyone higher level than you.

Save yourself the time and avoid this game. If you must play, I hope you enjoy the first 25 levels; after that the game is punishing.
  81. Jul 20, 2013
    Dont waste money on this garbage. They are too greedy for a game that isn't even good. When I saw the prices of the characters I couldn't help but to laugh. This game might be worth 7.99 and thats if all of the characters came with it. They jacked up the prices of everything so they can have sales but all in all, you know kids will still buy the over priced crap. This game is a good example of how some people will buy anything, even if it is brown, smells bad, and has flies all over it. Expand
  82. Jul 21, 2013
    I can overlook all of the gameplay issues (constant crashing during loading, etc) if it weren't for the Cash Shop. I would give this review at least a 7 if I could pay $6-$8 for Iron Man (and other similar heroes). I know Gaz has already reduced some of the hero prices, but when you can buy whole games for less than the cost of one hero (Torchlight 2 was just recently ~$4 on Steam), it tells me the value isn't there. Also, paying for talent respecs is ridiculous. I will delete this and give the game at least a 7 (regardless of bugs and content) if they make the Cash Shop more reasonable. Expand
  83. Jul 31, 2013
    Unfinished, rushed, bugged to hell, lacking content these are just some of the words that sadly describe this game. The level cap is 60 yet they only made enough content for 20-25 levels and expect you to grind the same very limited number of instances over and over for the remaining levels calling them "daily quests".

It feels like Zynga decided to make a marvel based game seriously
    it's that bad. They built this gigantic overpriced cash shop then decided to spend a weekend making the most basic arpg around it to fleece lifelong marvel fans. As a Marvel fan i would suggest your time be better spent playing anything else marvel related heck even the pen and paper Marvel Superheroes game from the late 80's is better. Expand
  84. Aug 1, 2013
    Whoever gives this game a 10 must be an employee of Gazillion. Very weak MMO.

There's a huge cost dump just get a few characters to play. I'm very disappointed.
  85. Aug 1, 2013
    At launch the game was incomplete no missions for level 60 heroes and still continues to have lack of anything for a max level hero to do other then farm level 55 mobs. There are heros with powers that can not be leveled up till they reach level 61-63 when the game stops at level 60. Each patch has made great promises but so far the game has stayed about the same as when it launched.
  86. Aug 7, 2013
    Boring and bland. The game is just a rewarmed Diablo clone. The combat is flat out boring. The technology feels like it's 20 years old and pales in comparison to modern isometric action games. The nail in the coffin is that the game doesn't do justice to its intellectual property. It's not uncommon to be running around in a group with three Hulk's and two Wolverine's while you grind down super villains like The Hood or Taskmaster. Since when did it take a lynch mob of super clones to take down B-list villains? Expand
  87. Aug 7, 2013
    It's free so give it a try yourself, but i just coudn't get into it. I like ARPGs. The graphics look a bit dated, not as nice as Diablo or POE. I don't like that your gear doesn't change your characters look at all.

Also it's annoying that the gear is so specific to each hero each item only works for a certain hero so if you don't have them unlocked your inventory fills with stuff for
    others. Just wasn't fun overall... didn't entertain me for very long

Also most of the 10s on metacritic user reviews seem to be faked accounts, and barley in english... whats up with that?
  88. Sep 2, 2013
    This is all my opinion but to me the best way to describe Marvel Heroes (MH) is exceedingly average. MH is bland, very bland. It brings nothing new to the table, goes through patches that require complete character respec and then has the nerve to overprice everything. You either end up spending the cost of just buying a game to unlock only a few characters or spend forever grinding "Eternity Splinters (ES)". Seriously, 1 splinter drops about every 8 min average. Most heroes cost 400-600 splinters. 8 x 400 3,200 min 60 53.3 HOURS, 80 hours for the 600. When you figure most SP story driven games only last 20-30 hrs then you get the sense of how tedious this game is. Now you can gear up to grind ES but you need to be fairly high level to use the gear. So expect to grind a character you might not be interested in just for the chance to grind ES. The starting characters are pretty weaksauce too. Don't expect favorites to appear free. Daredevil (which I only know because of a terrible movie), Storm (probably the best known starter), Hawkeye (who looks FABULOUS! No, really, he wears all purple), Scarlet Witch (who I never heard of) and Thing (probably the 2nd most recognizable character). If you want to play as say Spider Man, Iron Man, or Wolverine then expect to either pay out the nose or edge of your seat grinding.

Basically MH is nothing new. You'll see the same levels over and over again as well as the same enemies. The story needs way more voice acting as most of it is text boxes. It does have some cool cut scenes but they're kinda rare and don't help with the over abundance of text screens. Everything is way too much of a grind or way too expensive to justify the cost. For Marvel fans only, everyone else stick with Path of Exile.
  89. Sep 7, 2013
    Dull, repetitive gameplay, an intrusive pricing policy and not enough free content make Marvel Heroes one of the top disappointments of the year. A short story and little customization tools hinder even more deeply the player's enjoyment.
  90. Sep 14, 2013
    Don't let the talkative devs fool you into thinking that this game might be different, because it isn't.

Find the best items at level 20, never find them again, that's fun according to the top designer.

Make leveling a grind, and sell magic find potions (people that buy these are silly, they will not increase rolls on stats and Unique Cosmic chances are that low they will not affect
    them in a meaningful manner) Selling magic find potions are probably necessary, but also a form of gambling that will not pay off. If it does, it's a fluke, but hey you might buy more potions yeh?

The game is free, but has little to no end content for level 60's, so if you get that far you might as well quit.

X-Def coming out? Increased loot chance you say? No, the numbers of mobs are too small and timed which means that your killing rate per minute is going to be jack and all, which decreases your rate of actually finding something. I mean it might be fun, but it's exactly the same as playing whack a mole for tickets. We all know how often people are seen playing that game at the arcade...

Terminals? Short runs, xp and loot increase is negligible but I guess the devs probably find that fun too.

Bugs every patch? You bet ya. Break more things? You bet ya. Patch it in a week or two? You bet ya. Break more things? You bet ya. Slip in nerfs? You bet ya.

Good luck. If you like the game cool, if you get a Unique at level 10 and never see it drop again? That's fun apparently.

Lack of meaningful content, bad grind, poor itemisation and your hero will always look the same as the other one, no matter what you do means that this game is a 4.
  91. Sep 29, 2013
    Good concept with very bad execution. There are new bugs introduced with every patch and old bugs that are still lingering. The loot as well as the loot drop rate are very poor and even the newest "Unique" items can be tossed aside for "Epic" or "Cosmic" items. The grind from level 40 60 can be slow, dull, and frustrating. Add to that the nerfs(or "fixes" according to developers) that occur with almost every patch and it becomes very hard to sit back and enjoy the game. Expand
  92. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is one big letdown. It was founded by good people, who do excellent work interacting with the community. That said, the game simply is not fun at all. It is an item hunt game with the worst items and item drop rate of any arpg I've every played. If it didnt have the Marvel title and license, it would already be gone.

On top of that, patches come out fast and furious, but
    without being tested...leading to stupid amounts of bugs, numerous small patches meant as fixes that really dont ever fix anything, and tons of download time. Half or more of the characters are completely broken and unplayable at any given time....soon as they fix 1 hero, they break 2 more. If you dont mind lots of bugs, boring gameplay, broken characters, and the worst loot system ever....then by all means play this game. Expand
  93. Oct 13, 2013
    The developers treat the players horribly. You will get banned from the game by simply asking questions like why is the loot so bad or why they keep censoring their forums. They will do this no matter how much money you have spent and you have no recourse at all.

The debut kind of bombed so they had to shift from a many player F2P model to a few dedicated hardcore player model. this
    means they have to milk the small player base for every cent they are worth, including exp and item find boosts. So the game is pretty bad without them. What started out as a fun game has turned into a nickle and dime fest at every turn.

Every patch it still a nightmare with little testing and days of downtime. And, as I said, if you even question this, you risk a ban and will lose every cent you put into the game.
  94. Oct 13, 2013
    The arrogance of the dev team knows no bounds. i have never been treated so poorly as a customer. Their "this is how it is and you love it we are awesome" attitude is pure hubris.

This game will not last long. It only has like a few hundred regular players left. Hardly enough to keep the lights on.
  95. Oct 21, 2013
    The game offers you a wide variety of Marvel Heroes, mostly enough to please any fan, but you can only pick one as a starter, and you have to get the others though in-game currency wich is slow, really slow, or through money. In the beggining, heroes could drop from any mob, and that was ok (that was the main way besides paying to get a new hero), now, the drops were long ago removed and you're stucked with this system, that I don't really like, (at least on its own, I'd like it with old hero token drops). So now it feels boring and uninteresting,

The graphics are ok, though messy sometimes when everybody is spamming hard every power they have.

Heroes will always have the same aspect no matter what do you equip on them, besides from a few cosmetic upgrades and different costumes, wich doesn't really makes much sense, since costumes have a lot of buffs you want to keep. Well, you can always use the money-sink crafter for swapping those buffs and what-not, but whatever.

Leveling up is a real pain, next step above slow, and since content gets repetitive too soon, it feels boring and boring as you keep playing.

Drops rates are bad and strange, from patch to patch, you'll notice that determinate item drop more, or don't drop at all. Gearing your character the way you want is hard and time consuming, should it be different? well, I don't know, but I've seen many people claiming differences between Diablo 3 and MH, but this makes them pretty much the same. If you want to gear your Hero with decent items, you'll be stuck spending a ton of time farming/trading in both games.

All in all, the feeling of the game is that it gets really boring, really fast.
  96. Nov 8, 2013
    Dear Valsh I know that it is tough for you to ask for your rights as a customer but for me it is not . What exactly did they changed properly since launch ? The defense system ? Yeah sure beginning of September they switched to percentage based damage reduction then in the subsequent patches they nullified this change by gradually upping the HP and Damage of the mobs ... And actually even today in 2.0 they doubled the HP of the mobs and like this effectively completely erasing the added 2 extra artifact slots and the ring slot since their bonus to the damage output is negligible at best ,,,,,

Not to mention the EPIC and I MEAN epic ASGARD content .....WHICH TAKES 2 WEE(EEEE)EEEEKS to UNLOCK let alone finish DONATE TO REED RICHARDS ..............

How it is sane to lock out content for a player depending on the progress of another player ?
    Or this was just another flop which was forced by the fact that the clueless Disney pushed to "release"
    Asgard coinciding with the USA premiere of Thor The Dark World .

They advertise patch 2.0 as "Play ASGARD NOW or something like this on their site how is this NOW when the bloody Asgard wont be available for two bloody weeks .

I guess that gullible players will continue to be sucked in by paid loudspeakers like you and paid fake reviews from totally obscure sites .

Patch 2.0 Hero REGRESS instead of PROGRESS in spite of the 2 added artifact slots and the new ITEM RING .

Advertised content actually unavailable at patch launch most likely due to the fact that it is not actually finished just as the game was at launch but the deadline and scam-line had got to be met yet one more time .

This is the worst game patching history I have yet seen to date and come to think of it I completely regret shelling out that 110$ or so on this game while in hindsight I should have bought that RAM upgrade before that RAM factory burned and prices skyrocketed Hey extra 8 GIGS is extra 8 GIGS .

What is funny is looking at them and how they will try to spin that fiasco surely some popcorn is on the way
  97. Jun 12, 2013
    This is a great free to play game. But it is not really a great game to spend any money on. The combat is fun and interesting (I can actually use Daredevil's acrobatics to dodge major attacks and roll away from incoming bullets, for instance), the difficulty is casual, the crafting system is user-friendly and very useful without having to waste time farming anything, and if like me, you like the Marvel universe, there's a lot to really love about this game.

The writing is really top-notch. I would not be surprised if I found out that actual comic writers worked on the script, because it's as good as you'll find anywhere. The animated cut scenes in comic book style are so well done that I actually looked forward to watching them, as opposed to furiously pressing the Esc key and hoping to skip them.

That said, the prices are kind of ridiculous. You have to pay $20 just to unlock several of the best characters, including Spiderman, Deadpool, and Iron Man. That's $20 each, not $20 for all three. Even less beloved characters like Rocket Raccoon cost at least $10-12 a piece. Then if you want to get one of the costumes, be prepared to spend another $10-20 per costume. I'm not sure Gazillion realizes this, but I would have spent $20-30 on this game if I felt like I would get more than two new characters, or one character and one costume out of it. As it is I probably will beat the game with my free Daredevil character and move on to something else. But I'm not paying $20 just to play as ONE character that I may not even like.

Anyway ultimately the entire game is free, there is no "pay-to-win" mechanic at all, you get 5 characters to choose from in the beginning and 2 more free heroes as you play through the game. For what it is, that deserves an 8. If you're interested, give it a try, make sure and give it about two hours so you can experience everything the game has to offer before deciding.
  98. Jun 5, 2013
    Marvel Heroes is an Free-to-Play ARPG with MMO elements. It plays very similar to the Diablo and Torchlight series. The main issues with the game are lack of content and the pricing of heroes you wish to purchase. As of right now, the range varies from $10-20 per hero with the most popular being $20. You do, however, get to choose 1 of 5 heroes to start off with (Storm, Daredevil, Hawkeye, Scarlet Witch, and Thing). After the prequel, you get a second Hero token from those five and a third starter hero after you complete the game.

The main storyline only gets you to about Level 25 by the end of it and that's assuming you complete every quest along the way and do a bit of exploring. The game itself is really fun, but at the end it leaves you wishing there were more to it. The "endgame" consists of doing Daily Missions which are essentially just running through the main storyline over again, except you skip to the last area before the boss. Each boss is stronger and now has an affix that gives them a random buff (Ignore Defense, Quick, Vertex Field, etc.) which makes them even harder to defeat. Unfortunately, the grinding can get a bit boring and level progression after you hit Level 30 is painfully slow. There is other endgame content such as group instances (raids), but I have not done any of them yet. Each raid allows you to have anywhere from 5 to 25 party members at a time. I have not personally been a part of it, but it sounds like it could be fun.

Another common criticism this game has is that a lot of people think that each melee/ranged/tank character is about the same with just a different skin. However, I would have to disagree with that. Although they may have similar roles, the way they are played feels a lot different. The statement is valid though since most characters for the most part feel the same early on, but once you level up and unlock more of their skills, you'll notice how each hero brings something different to the table.

Unfortunately though, unless you are willing to shell out a great deal of money for this F2P game, you will not be able to have much of a variety of characters to choose from since the rate at which hero tokens drop are very low.

Personally, my biggest gripe (aside from Hero pricing) is that the gear that you can get does not vary much and is very boring. Also, I feel like the stats don't necessarily get better at higher levels despite the rarity of the item. For example, I found a rare Level 12 piece of armor, but when I found another rare piece of armor of a significantly higher level, the amount of defense it gave was actually less than the Level 12 piece. I think it would have been nice if they had more than 4 tiers of rarity (common, uncommon, rare, and epic) and at least had a fifth tier for Legendary items, but there aren't any in this game. It would've been nice to have Set Items, but there is a lack of those as well.

I have put over 30 hours into the game leveling various heroes and think that this game can be worthwhile if you have a group of friends to play it with. Guilds are currently disabled, which is a bummer, but I think that once the functionality is put back into the game, it will be a lot better since it will be easier to find a group of people to play with. There are a lot of things that I think could be better, but overall I think that this game has the potential to be something great. If you are a Marvel fan and enjoy simple ARPGs, you'll probably enjoy this game. However, if you come into the game with the mindset that it will be like Path of Exile or Diablo III, you will be severely disappointed.
  99. Jun 4, 2013
    I have played since closed beta and I have to say I really enjoy this game. The early access was a little rough, but things seem to have been sorted out and they are working out the final bugs pretty quickly.

The gameplay is a ton of fun. There is open world zones with many players, group bosses & missions. There is also group/solo instances, crafting & an actual endgame.

I have
    played all of the Diablo games, Torchlight & Titan Quest and I really think this is one of the best ARPG games out. Also, the game is free to play so if you enjoy this kind of game there is no reason not to try it out. Expand
  100. Jun 4, 2013
    First off all, this game is getting a lot of heat because people can't read. It doesn't release until 10AM PDT today. Just letting people know.

Secondly: This game is fun.

I know, that is subjective and depends one what people like, but at the base of it, kicking bad guys into the air and watching their ragdoll bodies do back-flips is just one of the great things about this game.
    There's tons of actions, interesting fights against a wide variety of enemies. Funny one-liner quips from the heroes and minions alike. A HUGE variety of heroes with individual power-set and a simple control system that I wasn't used to at first but now enjoy quite a bit.

This is not a complex game. This is a smash-things-up and hang out with your friends game. It has the spirit of Diablo 2 and that game was some of the best multiplayer of its day.

...and its Free to play. Always a plus.
  101. Jun 12, 2013

1. Jul 28, 2013
    There's the hollow shell of a game. [Issue#137, p.116]
  2. Jul 25, 2013
    Under-delivers on the promise of the licence. A middling action-RPG that you’d have to be a Marvel fan to love.
  3. Jul 16, 2013
    At the end of the day, though, these few good points don’t make up for the flaws with what should be the most important elements of a game like this - the combat and the loot grind - and an overall lack of polish. Being free to play, you don’t lose out on anything but 15 odd gigabytes of your data cap if you want to give Marvel Heroes a go, but with that said, it’s hard to recommend this game over the other free to play lootfests that are around.