Mass Effect 2: Arrival PC

6.1

1. Apr 9, 2012
    Arrival is decent enough, but merely acts as a footnote of sorts. It did its job (made us all excited about Mass 3) - no doubt countless preorders were made from the influence of this DLC. Nice to see Admiral Hackett (Lance Henriksen) finally make an appearance too.
  2. Jul 21, 2011
    Usually DLC seek to temporarily include a new feature into a game. Arrival takes features away instead, namely the loss of teammates and non-linear gameplay. I can understand the former (Shepard on his own can do a covert mission relying on stealth) but this is never fleshed out enough to be noteworthy. Battles and environments are plain, with none of the vividness seen in Overlord andUsually DLC seek to temporarily include a new feature into a game. Arrival takes features away instead, namely the loss of teammates and non-linear gameplay. I can understand the former (Shepard on his own can do a covert mission relying on stealth) but this is never fleshed out enough to be noteworthy. Battles and environments are plain, with none of the vividness seen in Overlord and LoSB. My biggest gripe with Arrival is that such a half-baked DLC would be integral to the overall plot and act as the starting point in Mass Effect 3. ME2 does not leave on a high note Expand
  3. Jun 19, 2011
    Fun to play and that is about it. Some bugs here and there. I would rather Bioware focus its Mass Effect franchise on Mass Effect 3 than adding any future downloadable content. For those who doesn't want their Mass effect 2 adventure to not end, then please be my guest and get this. You will not regret playing it but when you finish this, you will regret like i did because now you wouldFun to play and that is about it. Some bugs here and there. I would rather Bioware focus its Mass Effect franchise on Mass Effect 3 than adding any future downloadable content. For those who doesn't want their Mass effect 2 adventure to not end, then please be my guest and get this. You will not regret playing it but when you finish this, you will regret like i did because now you would be dying for Bioware to release ME3 asap. 7/10 for me. Expand
  4. Apr 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. liked:
    + finally again a ME2 DLC..
    + reapers are back .. somehow

disliked
    - well i just restarted playing ME2 from start and this mission basically started right after having defended the colony against the collectors (not even the whole team is recruited.) somehow a lot of dialogues seem to have MUCH more sense post suicidal or at least post Reaper Relic mission.
    It came WAY too early in the game, if you play from start !!!

- no choices and you alienated a lot ppl by a no choice 300k decision in a mediocre DLC which will affect all future actions.. you know some of us really take the renegade or paladin background more serious than just playing a YetAnotherMindlessShooterguy91.

- where is my renegade choice action when Kenson talks about how she will destroy the reactor.. right after i "deliberately" chosed to kill 300k ppl, i let her talk just like in a really BAD movie.. noo, i dont draw my gun and kill her. i listen and wait with patience until she runs away. bollocks.
    => charges filled against "me" on earth for a decision i couldnt even select to take.. come on that just sucks and annoyed me 120% .. especially since it results from no decision at all. such kind of oppression in Real Life is why we play games.. left me feel bad with no motivation to continue the new playthough.

- i didnt liked the "lets make another 08/15 Shooter Clone" take sorry. Extraction would have been nice on solo, but for the rest it was rememberding of my Killzone copies.. sorry.. again same stuff like with DA2 and Daiblo ? Just continue your own game and special genre. dont fix whats working.. If ME3 is moving to this kind of gameplay (zillions enemies swooping into the rooms, and mostly solo than im done with ME and play shooters online sorry.

- disliked how shepard came out weak. (second this)

- disliked the ultimative prostation to the shooter genre. ( i do like pure shooters, but for pure shooters i play other games)

- no faces, all look same. batarian 2 eyes helmets .. cloned level design.. man DA2 lazyness spreading over.... whats up @bioware..

scrore 5/10
    => Shadwobroker or Overlord was way better
  5. May 18, 2013
    In short to keep with game play ability length. Mass Effect 2 is a Action third person shooter first and foremost.
    ANYONE thinking ME2 would continue on the deep and compelling Universe and story lines set up in Mass effect will be greatly disappointed. Even the save game transfers from ME are mostly meaningless as all the carry over choices (with exception of 1 but ill not ruin that here) are minimalized and finished off with NO future adventure or interaction (beyond a short conversation here and there).

In short the Open World Storyline design of Mass Effect is removed and replaced with a singular Linear Third Person Shooter design.

now none of that is terrible (well other then short length of game, thats unforgivable), if thats what you went in expecting. Sadly EA marketted this game as the spiritual and RPG expansion of the first to up box sales at release. Typical EA.

Mass Effect 2 is a Sci Fi third person shooter. Its has semi interesting characters and you even get to decide who you romance (WOOT, from choosing if a alien speices lives or dies in ME1 to who you get a black screen with in ME2).

In the end, If you like the Mass Effect Universe and like shooters, you will like this game
    Just dont go into it thinking your getting the next installment of the original Mass Effect RPG. That franchise stopped production after #1.
  6. Apr 21, 2011
    The lack of dialogue hurts this DLC, and yes, it is a bit short. BUT, it provides the arc in the story to tie into Mass Effect 3, which they said it was going to. Now, you have no doubt what is going to be happening in the beginning of ME3 (I'm not going to contain any spoilers in this), as well as how pissed the Reapers are likely going to be that you lent a hand to foil (if only for aThe lack of dialogue hurts this DLC, and yes, it is a bit short. BUT, it provides the arc in the story to tie into Mass Effect 3, which they said it was going to. Now, you have no doubt what is going to be happening in the beginning of ME3 (I'm not going to contain any spoilers in this), as well as how pissed the Reapers are likely going to be that you lent a hand to foil (if only for a short time) their plans of galactic domination. It was a well needed DLC in terms of the ME universe and where the story is headed, especially in a game where story is 60% of the game, but the DLC could have had more story rather than waves and waves of enemies that stood between point A and point B. Also, clocking in at about 2-3 hours (playing through on Insanity difficulty first time through) it left a lot to be desired. Had it been around 5-6 hours, I would easily have given this a 9. Expand
  7. Apr 4, 2011
    Arrival allows you to be present for a major event in Mass Effect's story. If all you want to do is shoot stuff and passively experience a story, you'll probably enjoy it. If you would be disappointed by presence alone, without influence over the event or significant character growth, then it may not be for you. If you're interested in a more-in-depth analysis of these conflictingArrival allows you to be present for a major event in Mass Effect's story. If all you want to do is shoot stuff and passively experience a story, you'll probably enjoy it. If you would be disappointed by presence alone, without influence over the event or significant character growth, then it may not be for you. If you're interested in a more-in-depth analysis of these conflicting viewpoints, check out my full-text review at http://culturalgeekgirl.com/ Expand

1. PC Games (Russia)
    May 6, 2011
    Arrival is a mostly disappointing piece of content, failing even at its mission to connect Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 storylines. [June 2011, p.97]
  2. Apr 28, 2011
    While Lair of Shadow Broker is a brilliant example of a properly made DLC, Arrival will be appreciated by only the most devout fans. If you want a completely tricked out save file for Mass Effect 3, then please pay $6.99.
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Despite being arguably less than what it could (and should) have been, Arrival probably is just about worth your money. In fact, playing it got me started on another run through both games, so it's done something right. It's testament to a game's strength that even a relatively lacking bit of DLC can have you going balls deep back into its world in the pursuit of alien booty. Not every game could do it, but not every game is Mass Effect.