5.8

1. Mar 29, 2011
    It's decent enough. It's not as good as LoSB, but good nonetheless. It'll take about an hour or less to complete, but it gives a little detail on what you can expect in ME3.
  2. Apr 2, 2011
    This DLC was overall a waste of time and money for me. The only advantage this DLC would even have is for those hardcore fans who think it might affect something in Mass Effect 3. This DLC's story is one in which I could tell to you in a few sentences. Those few sentences of story are stretched into a boring length of drone game-play consisting of an hour to an hour and a half, depending on difficulty. This DLC is a pitiful attempt to prepare one's self for Mass Effect 3. The only plus for me was to see my favorite yellow hologram Reaper. If you insist on wasting an hour of your time, are a die hard Mass Effect fan, and are under the illusion that this will somehow affect Mass Effect 3 (likely only a dialog option or two) then go for it. If you were hoping for an epic follow up of similar caliber to Lair of the Shadow Broker, steer clear. Expand
  3. Mar 31, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This DLC will not meet the high expectations based on the quality of LotSB. The main fault is that the plot is linear to the point of railroading and at some points, logically inconsistent. There are no new mechanics like the race in LotSB, just hack&slash against generic enemies. The character of Admiral Hackett appears rather bland and Kenson suffers from an absolute lack of character. That there is no interaction from the rest of your squadmates (you cannot take them with you to the mission) makes it even more pronounced. The voice acting and cutscenes are mediocre, so the most enjoyment you can get from this is one challenging fight, which does not do justice to the RP part of RPG - and if I wanted a straight shooter, there are far better alternatives.

(The rest of the article will contain spoilers!) My main critique will go against the logic of doctor Plotdevice Kenson´s behaviour. If she were indoctrinated from the start, why on Earth would she be instructing Shepard in how to destroy the relay? If she were not, why would her coworkers say she was? If you wanted to evacuate the colonies, why not do that as soon as possible (when you arrive at the base) rather than wait until the end, where you are cut off anyway?
    Why does the moral decision of killing the colonists play such a minor role? Even if it should lead to an immediate game over with the Reapers arriving, why is not Shepard allowed to not make the judgement call and not destroy the asteroid? All and all, from an RP view, this DLC was a disappointment.
  4. Apr 4, 2011
    Arrival allows you to be present for a major event in Mass Effect's story. If all you want to do is shoot stuff and passively experience a story, you'll probably enjoy it. If you would be disappointed by presence alone, without influence over the event or significant character growth, then it may not be for you. If you're interested in a more-in-depth analysis of these conflicting viewpoints, check out my full-text review at http://culturalgeekgirl.com/ Expand
  5. May 29, 2011
    After the good Overlord DLC and the fantastic Shadow Broker one, Arrival seemed like a shoo-in, but it has basically nothing of what made the earlier two great. Story is thin, combat is solo throughout the entire DLC, and the whole thing is much shorter than any of the other paid DLC.

Points for the unusual optional stealth mechanic, but that's about all Arrival has going for it.
  6. Mar 29, 2011
    As the Erebus890 said, It's not as good as LotSB. But If i compare it to Witch Hunt, It's better in some way but worse at the time. I don't want to put spoilers in this review so I'll say the summaries. You'll finally get the chance for some soloing but you'll feel the lack of dialogue from your team here. It took about 2 hours to do and it was pretty much fun. If you envied the soloing from Dragon Age like me, you will like it. Expand
  7. Apr 2, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. liked:
    + finally again a ME2 DLC..
    + reapers are back .. somehow

disliked
    - well i just restarted playing ME2 from start and this mission basically started right after having defended the colony against the collectors (not even the whole team is recruited.) somehow a lot of dialogues seem to have MUCH more sense post suicidal or at least post Reaper Relic mission.
    It came WAY too early in the game, if you play from start !!!

- no choices and you alienated a lot ppl by a no choice 300k decision in a mediocre DLC which will affect all future actions.. you know some of us really take the renegade or paladin background more serious than just playing a YetAnotherMindlessShooterguy91.

- where is my renegade choice action when Kenson talks about how she will destroy the reactor.. right after i "deliberately" chosed to kill 300k ppl, i let her talk just like in a really BAD movie.. noo, i dont draw my gun and kill her. i listen and wait with patience until she runs away. bollocks.
    => charges filled against "me" on earth for a decision i couldnt even select to take.. come on that just sucks and annoyed me 120% .. especially since it results from no decision at all. such kind of oppression in Real Life is why we play games.. left me feel bad with no motivation to continue the new playthough.

- i didnt liked the "lets make another 08/15 Shooter Clone" take sorry. Extraction would have been nice on solo, but for the rest it was rememberding of my Killzone copies.. sorry.. again same stuff like with DA2 and Daiblo ? Just continue your own game and special genre. dont fix whats working.. If ME3 is moving to this kind of gameplay (zillions enemies swooping into the rooms, and mostly solo than im done with ME and play shooters online sorry.

- disliked how shepard came out weak. (second this)

- disliked the ultimative prostation to the shooter genre. ( i do like pure shooters, but for pure shooters i play other games)

- no faces, all look same. batarian 2 eyes helmets .. cloned level design.. man DA2 lazyness spreading over.... whats up @bioware..

scrore 5/10
    => Shadwobroker or Overlord was way better
  8. Apr 1, 2011
    Although this is no Lair of the Shadow Broker, This is still worth playing. Perfect as a last chapter leading into the sequel this year.
    Doesn't add any weapons but it is well written and put together.
  9. Apr 14, 2011
    Just one thing to say. DLC costs those money and time. Just take it and play Mass Effect 2 again with it. It's has good action and drive for even short dlc.
  10. Jul 21, 2011
    Usually DLC seek to temporarily include a new feature into a game. Arrival takes features away instead, namely the loss of teammates and non-linear gameplay. I can understand the former (Shepard on his own can do a covert mission relying on stealth) but this is never fleshed out enough to be noteworthy. Battles and environments are plain, with none of the vividness seen in Overlord and LoSB. My biggest gripe with Arrival is that such a half-baked DLC would be integral to the overall plot and act as the starting point in Mass Effect 3. ME2 does not leave on a high note Expand
  11. Apr 11, 2011
    Short but cheap. Get's the story couple inches forward but that's about it. Might explain the start of Mass Effect 3 bit better, but that remains to be seen. Few euros for few hour gameplay isn't a bad deal.
  12. Mar 29, 2011
    Pretty good DLC, just to sum things up: - The cinematics look great - Different gameplay (solo-play) - Good story - Admiral Hackett - Good music - Great level design Some people might find this DLC abit short because it is the last DLC for Mass Effect 2, but keep in mind that this is a side mission and not a main mission like Lair of the Shadow Broker. This DLC is a great addition to the story of Mass Effect! Expand
  13. May 18, 2011
    Well its been some time since Arrival now. I first reviewed it on 360 and was really disappointed. Having got ME2 PC for free from a Bioware offer I decided to try the experience again on a different platform. Im going to be honest. I struggled, I really did struggle to finish it. Again I felt all personality was stripped from Shepard throughout with the sole purpose of the DLC being of that to thrust a trial on you and create a setting for the start of ME3. As a result it was totally linear and the end scene of the DLC was all focus on this trial. I just blew up 300,000 Batarians and my Shepard didnt blink an eye at it... just really poor story telling of a very linear nature. No choice which is what ME is famous for. Again I played Vanguard and again I couldnt charge in places where it should have been possible. Fustrating and Poor DLC which a you can watch a youtube video on and everyones experience is the same. Expand
  14. Mar 31, 2011
    as other's have said this is not as good as LoSB. still good fun but was very very short! took me less than 2 hours to complete. it's funny cos everything that happened in this DLC was pointless cos the reapers still ended up at earth...
  15. Apr 21, 2011
    The lack of dialogue hurts this DLC, and yes, it is a bit short. BUT, it provides the arc in the story to tie into Mass Effect 3, which they said it was going to. Now, you have no doubt what is going to be happening in the beginning of ME3 (I'm not going to contain any spoilers in this), as well as how pissed the Reapers are likely going to be that you lent a hand to foil (if only for a short time) their plans of galactic domination. It was a well needed DLC in terms of the ME universe and where the story is headed, especially in a game where story is 60% of the game, but the DLC could have had more story rather than waves and waves of enemies that stood between point A and point B. Also, clocking in at about 2-3 hours (playing through on Insanity difficulty first time through) it left a lot to be desired. Had it been around 5-6 hours, I would easily have given this a 9. Expand
  16. Jun 19, 2011
    Fun to play and that is about it. Some bugs here and there. I would rather Bioware focus its Mass Effect franchise on Mass Effect 3 than adding any future downloadable content. For those who doesn't want their Mass effect 2 adventure to not end, then please be my guest and get this. You will not regret playing it but when you finish this, you will regret like i did because now you would be dying for Bioware to release ME3 asap. 7/10 for me. Collapse
  17. Apr 9, 2012
    Arrival is decent enough, but merely acts as a footnote of sorts. It did its job (made us all excited about Mass 3) - no doubt countless preorders were made from the influence of this DLC. Nice to see Admiral Hackett (Lance Henriksen) finally make an appearance too.
  18. Oct 12, 2012
    Short: Its the worst DLC ever... They didn't anything right, all is just so ridiculous I cant belive it. They even use human-models for Batarian... Story is same ridiculous (for example: now a astroid can do what a supernova cant ?) .... Did noone cheked it before they released it ? So complete DLC is so bad, Bioware should recompense all who waste time on this ... Waste of money; Waste of time or Short: DONT BUY THIS **** Expand
  19. May 18, 2013
    In short to keep with game play ability length. Mass Effect 2 is a Action third person shooter first and foremost.
    ANYONE thinking ME2 would continue on the deep and compelling Universe and story lines set up in Mass effect will be greatly disappointed. Even the save game transfers from ME are mostly meaningless as all the carry over choices (with exception of 1 but ill not ruin that
    here) are minimalized and finished off with NO future adventure or interaction (beyond a short conversation here and there).

In short the Open World Storyline design of Mass Effect is removed and replaced with a singular Linear Third Person Shooter design.

now none of that is terrible (well other then short length of game, thats unforgivable), if thats what you went in expecting. Sadly EA marketted this game as the spiritual and RPG expansion of the first to up box sales at release. Typical EA.

Mass Effect 2 is a Sci Fi third person shooter. Its has semi interesting characters and you even get to decide who you romance (WOOT, from choosing if a alien speices lives or dies in ME1 to who you get a black screen with in ME2).

In the end, If you like the Mass Effect Universe and like shooters, you will like this game
    Just dont go into it thinking your getting the next installment of the original Mass Effect RPG. That franchise stopped production after #1.
  20. Jun 19, 2011

Arrival is a mostly disappointing piece of content, failing even at its mission to connect Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3 storylines. [June 2011, p.97]
  2. Apr 28, 2011
    While Lair of Shadow Broker is a brilliant example of a properly made DLC, Arrival will be appreciated by only the most devout fans. If you want a completely tricked out save file for Mass Effect 3, then please pay $6.99.
  3. Apr 19, 2011
    Despite being arguably less than what it could (and should) have been, Arrival probably is just about worth your money. In fact, playing it got me started on another run through both games, so it's done something right. It's testament to a game's strength that even a relatively lacking bit of DLC can have you going balls deep back into its world in the pursuit of alien booty. Not every game could do it, but not every game is Mass Effect.