8.7

1. Mar 21, 2011
    ME2 was a huge improvement over its predecessor. Not only did they remove many of the irritating tidbits that bogged players down in the level-up and equipment screens for hours, but they also improved gameplay drastically. The result is a well-made, fun game that easily makes the top of my list of games in 2010.
  2. Dec 17, 2010
    This game obviously has the taint of a product acquired by and developed under EA. It seems undercut, uninspired and super linear and super short. Mass Effect 1 was really a great game and this was deprived of all the things that made ME1 fantastic: * Great story * Unlimited Ammo * Large selection of stuff to buy * Really cool ATV * Tons of side quests that kept the game interesting The only things that really give merit to ME2 is:
    * Customizable equipment
    * Weapon Proficiency

If you want to swim in ME1 nostalgia go ahead and buy this game, it seems to have the aesthetic theme. But you will be upset with the result. This game is almost as boring as Dragon Age: Origins, at least I get to move around and shoot things. Adds some interest...
  3. May 26, 2011
    Hmm, how should I begin? ME1 was a blast. The story, inventory, choices, teams, exploration...and now in ME2, all the stuffs that made ME1 terrific has been disposed. And all those big gaming magazines praising this sequel with 9/10, 94/100 like scores. >.> I wonder if Bioware actually bribed them to give high scores to ME2... That's why I never read their criticisms. You gotta search for the actual gamer to have a good introspection. And majority of the PEOPLE here would probably agree with me, as I agree with their comments. ME2 is far away from being an RPG game. And I give it 4/10, all for the sake of ME1. And the mixed comments about gameplay, graphics, characters and such are pretty much similar elsewhere. Mine too: the game is short, the story is not well developed, inventory is poor, choices of Shepard does not necessarily have effects within the game, but expected to have effects in ME3? You see how Bioware gets away with this? Thus what I will add to those nagtive and mixed comments is also gonna be my criticism of Bioware's hardline capitalistic policy in robbing people's money and stirring a "mass" anticipation for the third ME game. Now, they promise that if we buy those DLC games additionally, we'll have an idea about ME3 - DLC PRODUCTION HAS BECOME THE VILEST TACTIC IN THE GAMING INDUSTRY. Keep the game short and dully, and release some DLCs and stir up more anticipation. Surely, gamers will "buy" it! With additional cash flowing in Bioware accounts.....

Should I say don't buy ME2? I don't think I can, cos now you already played ME1, you liked it, and now you want to see the end of it. You're surely gonna buy ME2, no matter how linear and mediocre it is. Because it is a bridge to the final game that is expected to have very high climaxes. And Bioware will have the cream of the business while experimenting RPG and FPS with ME2. ME2 is thus a rather experimental game and I hope that Bioware takes these negative criticisms into account, since they're mostly given by seasoned, experienced gamers!
  4. Jan 17, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a very playable, often exciting, beautifully crafted, very flawed game. If it had been named something else, say "Space Times With Ttitielady And Toadman Clone", I'm sure I'd even say I was impressed. But it's not named that; it's named "Mass Effect" and it does not live up to its ambitions in that regard.

+The game's graphics are pretty.
    +You don't have to manage your
    inventory anymore.
    +Play (in combat) as some classes is as engaging as the original; play as others has vastly improved; in no case has it gotten worse. This is a big plus.
    +BioWare's usual well-acted scripts with attention to plot holes and detail.

-The game has a mere shadow of a plot. Most of the game is incredibly meta about its lack of a plot in a way that will rip you out of the immersion in no time. It is this author's opinion that the writers of this trilogy know what they want to do and how, but only really have the material for games 1 and 3. 2 was a marketing necessity.
    -Some of the game's characters are written like they crawled out of a bad JRPG. Let's not go back to those days.
    -The characters that aren't bad are engaged in some pretty heinously fanservice stuff.
    -If you liked all the inventory management and number crunching from ME1, you'll miss that (I didn't especially).
    -There is a "final boss". And he will make you laugh.
    -The number of choices the player can make that affect the game with ME2 has greatly increased, but they are almost all superficial. Usually when you play a BioWare game, sooner or later you are afforded an option that really clicks with what you've been thinking. In ME2, for the purposes of the meagre plot, the only decision that you might have made that would really change things, you can only make one way. In pen and paper gaming this is called "railroading" and is looked on as very poor writing indeed.
  5. Apr 13, 2011
    I have spend above a 100 hours in mass effect 2, so you might as well ask yourself why I dont give this game a perfect 10. Its quite simply really, there are some small flaws. I will try to explain them, but know the game is really an extremely well designed experience. With that said; I find there are two flaws in this game. First, the number of comrades you pick up in the game is to large. Now, you might ask why this could possibly be a problem. This is quite simple, all of them have a "loyalty quest" - and with so many comrades all the sidequests feel a disconnected to the main plot. Add to this that with so many comrades, you never get a special feeling for any of the comrades - like you did in the first mass effect where you had a more limited number of them. Its a shame really.

The second flaw, is the whole weapon system. This problem is more compounded by several smaller issues. First off is the "new and improved" ammo system, which blows to be honest. The first game had a heatcooldown system, which was actually fine. Now you have what they call "heat clips" that are universal, yet you cant shift them between the your weapons - this is just plain odd. besides the weapon selection is dumbed down to much. You have a severely limited amount of weapontypes to choose from, and the way you upgrade and find them feel.... well to be honest, mildly retarded. But even though the games have these flaws, I will still rate it a 9 for the solid script, plot and surperb gameplay.
  6. Aug 14, 2010
    Playing this game felt like playing a mediocre movie. Character development was poor, the characters were generally bland, plot development was practically spoon-fed to you (e.g., characters made major discoveries as if through sheer epiphany whereas ME1 would have taken the time to gather and piece together the clues). The game was severely watered-down; I don't need to get into the major complaints that you've likely already heard about the new weapon/armor/ammo system - they're pretty common. Recruiting characters was a tad ridiculous because, unlike ME1 where the people you recruited were random encounters during your mission, in ME2 the people you recruit are specifically targeted and all of their recruitment missions made them out to be essentially demigods of raw physical/biotic/mental superiority, only to have them suddenly turn into lame ducks when they were in your party (for the sake of game balance). Half the game's missions involved recruitment and loyalty missions for your squad; there was very little in the way of actual side missions or of a main quest line. You'll waste a ton of time scanning planets for minerals and launching probes to harvest them - a ridiculously tedious process, although not quite as tedious as exploring in ME1 was - and you'll be left wondering where the $%!# element zero is. Character reappearances in this game were awkward and their personalities (except for Garrus/Tali) made huge, seemingly random changes. Speaking of random, the dialog options seemed to award Paragon/Renegade points completely randomly. You'll finish a dialog to find you got both Paragon and Renegade points, wondering where on earth one or the other could possibly have come from. If you decide to be Paragon (good guy), many of the "Paragon" options involve making intimidating threats, extortion, use of force, or even for having somebody killed. That does not sound very "Paragon" to me. Very seldom are the Paragon choices truly "Paragon" in nature. This game was definitely made to be played as a Renegade, which should probably be somewhat expected, considering the entire plot line involves you being forced to work with terrorists and thug gangs.

All in all, the game was passable, but it simply lost the magic that Mass Effect 1 had, which is a shame because they could have so easily have stuck to the original formula, focused more on making a solid plot with great character development, interesting characters, and a strong quest line, and had an amazing game. But hey, at least EA decided to ship this game with only a simple CD key check, and no other restrictive DRM. That's a huge plus over the first. Still, I wouldn't pay more than 20 bucks for this game. It was simply a bland experience overall. And another note, if you played ME1 on the 360, you may want to Google for a "character import tool" for ME2 so that you can make sure you're truly starting where you left off instead of going with the default story line. It makes a huge, huge, huge difference.
  7. Feb 17, 2011
    This is a cross between third person shooter Gears of War and RPG Dragon Age. While being good at both genres, the game never strives to be great at either. The graphics, voice acting, and cinematic scenes are what really shines the most. However, the 94 metascore rating seems very generous. The level design is linear, character development is flat, the RPG experience is weak, and the story provides paltry excitement at best--an over-hyped snoozer. Expand
  8. Jan 19, 2011
    Downgraded mainstream sequel

Most missions follow an identical procedure. RPG depht suffers from poorer skilling options and a more linear levelstructure than the first title. architectual patterns often repeat. The story adds additional depht to the universe, but conservative implementations such as ammunition or fuel subvert the logic of the immersive gameworld. Visuals are stunning!
    The characters are well drawn and bring their own background story. Expand
  9. May 21, 2011
    I do not want the rpg genre to follow the mass effect direction: oversimplifying every rpg aspect: starting from character creation, through the party management, exploration, combat and storyline part of the game. On top of that the game is ridiculous short, overuses same planet/building over and over again and has no replayability value at all. I also found the loading time between zones to long. It is a scheme to milk as much dollars from the players as possible with shiny, superficial games full of meaningless pseudo - minigames Expand
  10. Mar 16, 2011
    I enjoyed Mass Effect 2, I really did. But when I'd finished it, I felt...unsatisfied. Perhaps it was because the tactical element to the game - issuing orders to squad-mates - was really a bit of a fig-leaf, because I could get on perfectly well without them for most of the game. Perhaps it was because there wasn't much opportunity to interact with my crew. Perhaps it was because the dialogue wheel is perhaps one of the most frustrating means of interacting in a conversation ever devised in an RPG, and what I thought I was saying was frequently not what I actually said. But mostly it's because the game runs on rails. There is no real opportunity to go off on a frolic of your own: BioWare has a story, and they're going to tell it, whether you like it or not. It feels like a smaller game than the original. On the positive side, the graphics are an improvement on the original - which wasn't bad --, the voice acting is good and the plot is engaging, when it's not being rammed down my throat. But there isn't actually very much to do and I did have the impression that I was just pressing buttons between cut-scenes for quite a lot of the game. Expand
  11. Feb 24, 2012
    I'm sorry I just don't get it. I don't understand how anybody could like this game better than ME1. I guess the visual style was sleeker? People thought the controls and fighting mechanics were better? Here's what I've come to realize. Mass Effect was a great RPG, with some action/3PS (3rd person shooter?) elements mixed in. Mass Effect 2, was an action game at heart, with some pretty shoddy RPG elements. Gone are the multiple tiers and classes of armor, with corresponding types and tiers of upgrades. Gone is any tactical setup of your squad for combat. Just spam all of the abilities you can at the enemy. Gone is a much more detailed and better implemented leveling point system. And gone is planetary exploring, which I think would have been cooler if they fleshed it out instead of getting rid of it entirely. People say the combat in ME2 was better. Not to me. I read all the codex. What they had implemented in 1 made sense with the lore. Didn't like overheating? Too bad, get a *better weapon* or *better upgrades*. Jesus it's called customizability. That's what an RPG is all about. There were some *really* cool things they implemented in 2, however. So here is the good part of the review. Just the plain fact that you could actually continue a character on from 1 was amazing to me. However, I thought ME2's characters were better than 1's anyway, so I'm glad you got to work with an almost entirely new cast. (Although they kept my favorite Quarian :D.) Planet scanning was also way better than that side quest to find minerals from ME1, and I appreciated that you could actually integrate resources you find into your ship and customizing your character. Although once again, I would appreciate more options. Finally, there were things I thought were better and worse about the story. I really liked the loyalty missions, but I think it would have been better to have a central questline instead of making the loyalty missions the central component of the game. The problem here was that the story lacked focus, as there was literally no plot up until the end when you finally did the suicide mission (which was awesome!!!) ME1, by comparison, had an extremely focused central questline, but lacked in detailing the side characters perhaps a little bit more. So that's pretty much it for this review. Overall, I think what really got to me was that they took what was supposed to be an RPG series and kinda did away with all that. I didn't appreciate that very much. But since I am all about story, I will say that Mass Effect continues to have a strong story and character design, just perhaps not at the same time. I am still looking forward to ME3. Expand
  12. Feb 13, 2012
    First things first it's no RPG, the quests are boring as hell, they're always the same, shoot some idiots with no brains and at last there's a boss. I've really tried to play it since I spent 5 euros on it some months ago, but everytime I've plaid for 20 minutes, I just quit, it's so boring. Worst 5 euros ever spent.
  13. Jan 25, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 definitely has positive sides, but it's terribly overrated. The plot is mediocre at best, half of the game you will be just looking for your future team members and only some of them (like Samara, Garrus or Tali) are interesting, the rest are boring or even annoying. The game is also pretty short for an RPG- about 25 hours if you complete every sidequest and explore half of the galaxy. Exploring planets is for resources is extremely annoying and ruins all the fun. Also there is almost no freedom of choice and it is purely cosmetic. The replay value is also pretty low: you will be doing the same thing again and again and changing classes will only make the game harder. So why not just stick to the soldier class, which is virtually unbeatable? The shooting also felt boring and on some levels, i thought i was playing some mediocre third-person shooter with hordes of enemies to beat, rather than an action RPG. By the way, there are almost no RPG elements left and as for what's left, it doesn't have any significant impact on gameplay. Graphically, the game is also a major disappointment. After so many critics praised the game's graphics, I thought the game would look near photorealisitc. What a letdown! Models look generally good, but textures are bland and the game lacks details. As for positive sides, the voice acting is good, storyline has it's good moments, music is excellent, the world, where the game takes place, is also very interesting. In all, the game is worth playing once, but without the replay value, it quickly becomes boring and dull. Expand
  14. Mar 7, 2011
    If you are a fun of mass effect universe then it is an absolute buy.Less rpg then the first one but the story is a masterpiece!It also has a lot of dlc out that gives a great value.
  15. Aug 23, 2011
    A true Sci-Fi epic and the best game I have played. With top notch visuals, music, writng, voice acting, and gameplay, a diverse cast of characters, a dark and mysterious plot, this is the current high bar. Plus, it remembers everything you did in the previous game.
  16. Nov 16, 2012
    In my opinion this is the best installment of the series. We are introduced to some of the best character in the series ■Grunt ■Jack ■Jacob Taylor ■Kasumi Goto
    ■Legion ■Miranda Lawson ■Mordin Solus ■Samara or Morinth ■Tali'Zorah vas Neema / Normandy
    ■Thane Krios ■Zaeed Massani
    And the old friends also returned. I loved
    the dark and grim atmosphere of the game. The collectors were very interesting villains. The pace of the game and the story were perfect. The graphics were improved. For the first time the player could explore the galaxy, which was a great addition. Weapon and armor customization was introduced. Player decisions really changed the outcome of the ending. I can only recommend the game. Don't forget to import your save files from ME1! Expand
  17. Jan 25, 2011
    Starts out with an unnecessary, and hypocritical bang, and doesn't get much better. The characters are stiff in my eyes, though have well developed background stories. The fighting is fun at first, but the game is far too easy and fighting becomes very expected (hint: if you see barriers, you're in for a boring fight). Hacking is interesting, then repetitive and dull. The story is not enough to fill up the lengthy gameplay. Annoying bugs. Expand
  18. Feb 8, 2011
    I liked the story and combat but that's about it. The RPG element isn't there, the characters are pretty limited in abilities/weapons, the programing isn't all that good either. I get stuck in the air and in cut scenes characters would be spinning, and there was a fair deal of crashes to desktop. I cant say that this is a good game but it isn't completely worthless. Play it once through and be done with it, I don't see what big hype was with this game, it's average at best. Expand
  19. May 6, 2011
    This game really has to get two scores. If you play on normal difficulty, like I did my first play through, then it's great. Great story, game play, action, character depth, pretty much does everything right and it earns a solid 8. Play it the second play through on Insanity difficulty and suddenly its a game riddled with bugs and as such id score it a 1. Buggy games drive me crazy and I think far far less of an otherwise good game for having them. What causes this discrepancy? On the top level of difficulty the enemies hit hard, really hard. This means you have to act fast and use cover, always, every time. Two problems pop up, first when you turn quickly your character will have a tendency to become detached from the game world and float in the air or suddenly get stuck on top of objects. This doesn't happen all the time, but enough to be called repeatable and definitive. Second problem is cover. While on normal the few times you ducked and hid it probably worked fine. Now, you are ducking and hiding everywhere, fast and frequently. This causes the many surfaces to reveal their true nature where your character will not hide completely and you'll get shot through an object, or your character won't lean out the correct direction and you'll be left open to get shot. There are many many glitched cover surfaces that cause a variety of issues with game play. Besides that there are also a few other bugs present like quests that you can't complete that don't end up affecting anything and also a game killing bug where your game will have a critical crash and close if you change your ability hot keys in combat (there is a quick hotkey UI with bad programming). These very prevalent bugs cause the game heavy problems because they get you killed when you should otherwise be alive. So, all told id give the game a 4. Great story, so so game play that is very dependent on the difficulty setting as to how decent it is and released, yet never fixed, with a repeatable bug that will cause a fatal error. Expand
  20. Sep 2, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is a sequel that has been stripped of everything that made the first game enjoyable for me. Reduced to a simple, linear cover based third person shooter with token rpg elements and mini games. The story is the only thing that holds this game up, but it is still a tattered, sorry flag.
  21. Jun 2, 2011
    Let me start of by saying I don't hate the game, I enjoyed it, for about 4 hours, then I didn't.

I'd heard a lot of good about this game, so I figured, I'll give it a shot, so I did, and I wasn't disappointed, it had shooting, RPG elements, and some fun psychic moves that let me throw people about, can't complain with that.

And I played it, went into one room, hid behind a box and
    dispatched the enemies in numerous ways, changing cover now and then. Then the next room, I hid behind a crate and dispatched enemies in numerous ways, changing cover now and then. And again, and again. It never changed, it is at heart, a cover based shooter with some RPG elements, even so, the RPG elements are pretty black and white, "Will I shoot this hopeless orphan with my firey kitten gun? Or will I donate all my limbs to the children in need program? Or perhaps I shall remain in a state of permanent apathy and bypass all these mundane problems.".

That's not good choice making, it's just saying to you, will you be a bad guy, good guy, or neutral? And it even blatantly tells you which is which, "Say this to appear as a rogue who does his own thing, or say this to appear as Jesus himself".

I played it for several hours, about 10 I believe, before I realised the gameplay wasn't going anywhere and I was essentially playing Gears of War or Rainbow Six under pretence of an RPG in a 3rd person angle, which is my least favourite kind of shooter regardless, the only game I've played that has done it well is Resident Evil 4, even then I couldn't move whilst I shot.

The story however did, for the 10 hours I played it, seem good, it may have got better, which wouldn't surprise me, it was honestly memorable and I can see why people enjoy it, but it tried to present itself as more than it was, like a dog that claims it can talk and ride a unicycle, whereas it can only ride a tricycle and has no speech mastery. Impressive for sure, but it's not what I was expecting, and there are other games that do it better.

My last gripe with the game is Jack, I rescued her from prison where she completely breezed through hundreds of robots and guards alike with not a scratch on her, she was truly unstoppable and I couldn't wait to get her on my team, then when she WAS on my team, an aggressive looking shrub would be enough to subdue this once feared God of a woman. My point here is, don't sell me Wonder Woman and then give me a generic horror film girl who lasts about 3 minutes before deciding to "See what that masked figure wants to talk about".
  22. Dec 22, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 isn't like its predecessor; they took out what many RPG-fans love so much: inventory management and exploration in the hopes of finding something really cool or some place that will teach you just a bit more about the universe you're playing in. Mass Effect 1 wasn't perfect but it had a lot going for it, it was fresh yet familiar. The story isn't as grand either and you can pretty much have sex with everyone in your party, save a few. There's even a counsellor on board whose only roll seems to be to have sex with the captain and judging from the subtext, anyone who needs a quick pick-me-up. I don't mind romance or sexuality in games but it lacks the spirit and memorability the romances had in Mass Effect 1 where you were forced to make a choice between love and duty. Now it just comes across as cheap entertainment. I also absolutely despise the huge amount of DLC they released for this game. I don't mind -paying- extra to get an add-on for the game but I'm not going to replay an entire game just so I can see some 30 minute mission that wasn't there before. I usually end up buying the complete packages a year or two later so I can have the full, almost bug-free experience that you can't have if you pay the game right after it's been released. Regardless, even that didn't stop me from trying Mass Effect 2. What made me stop trying was the fact that if you do not have a save game from Mass Effect 1, it randomly makes historical decisions for you: blew up the Ascension? Might just be back in Mass Effect 2 and it will haunt you till the end of the game. Or maybe you saved the big bug queen in that glass container. Won't matter, the game might just decide you killed her anyway. I actually went through my third game of Mass Effect 1 just to reconstruct my save-game. (Which I gladly did) unfortunately, I got bored two-third through Mass Effect 2 and just gave up. Was looking forward to romancing Tali (My favourite character) but she ran out of things to say, we grew apart and I gave up being a space captain and went back to doing other things. I'm assuming Tali is still out there in space somewhere with another starship captain that doesn't like long talks and beach walks and I wish her all the best. The whole savegame deal is also the reason why I won't play Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3 or any other title that relies on save-game history any more. Unless they add some way of reconstruction your save-game by making the choices in a text-form, it's just a waste of time and to me, a huge distraction from the story if I am constantly bombarded with choices I did not make yet have them rubbed in every other conversation. Expand
  23. Sep 29, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a game based on races and universal proportions. It is a Third-Person Shooter with RPG elements and levelling system, seem similar to Bethaseda's Fallout 3 and Gears of War. It is developed by Bioware and Produced by EA.

To start off with the advantages to this game brings is it's newly improved user-friendly GUI than the one previously used in Mass Effect 1 letting
    players decide their custom characters and their 'powerups' that they may use. but reductions in custom armour might disappoint fans. Bioware has introduced many optimizations, making performance better. Visuals are on a high standard, giving low-poly models a high-resol look. Gameplay is frantic and fast yet feels less of a challenge than that of Mass Effect 1, it fails to become more strategic and more Gears of War-esque fighting. Landscapes are lush and surreal giving the player or user that xenophobic feel. Artificial intelligence is realistic if a little untactical, if any player hides it does not move if it has superior damage it simply stays put on any difficulty.

Mass Effect introduces innovative quasi-Fallout dialogue choices, giving the user to become more of a "Paragon" or "Renegade" soldier, deciding the overall afflictions decided in the running franchise. Characters have interesting backstories and plots but yet feel somewhat impersonal to the player, disrupting their curiosity to know more about the fictional characters, leaving the interaction a little dry during cutscenes, leaving players to read about them using 'Codex'.

Mass Effect 2's minigames, while novelty in their own right, give the player larger abilities by extracting minerals for different planets, somewhat supporting the lack of customization mentioned before, the armour cannot not be changed but can be coloured to suit the players taste. Overall, I'd would rate this game a 7, it is not as good as it's predecessor ME1 but definitely improves and elminates niggles that would otherwise, frankly, irritate the player. It's lasting appeal is little though, giving the player little reason to play it again on a harder level. Difficulty is sustained well but not enough for extraordinarily hardened players such as myself.
  24. Oct 14, 2011
    I agree with other people here: It's a console port shooter. The RPG elements and freedom of the first game are eliminated. It proceeds narrowly on rails, the choices are highly constrained and built around fixed set-pieces. It's still pretty, movie-like and interesting, but just not as good as the first one. BioWare, I am disappoint. I will not be buying ME3, because it will only be dumbed down and consolized further. Expand
  25. Mar 26, 2012
    First off, people should not rate Mass Effect as an Rpg, as this is not the case. Mass Effect 2 presents a solid narration, framed by a deep and compelling sci-fi universe, further enriched by an epic Vangelis-like soundtrack. Most important, the game is not as dull as it has been portrayed. The information you are given throughout the game about the lore and the various civilizations are just accurate and interesting; the dialogues, though not within Bioware standards, are well-presented, even though they do lack a more precise choice system, sometimes making the player look awkward.
    On the other hand, the plot is consistent and at times rises to the greatness of the true legend, even though there's a couple of side quests (companions related ones) are definitely below-par.
    Technically speaking, the graphics have been enhanced if compared to the first episode, while the game engine runs flawlessly without any noticeable frame-rate drops. The weapons you are equipped with play just fine and, along with the biotic powers, give the player some really exciting combat sequences (provided you play at least on hardcore more). The overall experience will not be forgotten, as this game will stay with you for quite a long time.
  26. Feb 19, 2011
    Kill a few enemies, recruit a party member, mine for minerals, purchase upgrades. Rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat. Prepare for final battle, engage enemy - GAME OVER!!! A good game but not a great one.
  27. Nov 2, 2010
    I was extremely disappointed by this. The story is very linear and boring, there are almost no sidequests at all. I find the gameplay very repetitive, every battle was the same, and even on high difficulties they were trivially easy. The end of the game left me a bit shocked, it seemed to do nothing for the plot of the series, you know about as much about the story at the end of the game as at the start. Expand
  28. Jan 13, 2011
    Although completely abandoning the RPG genre, this game is a epic experience which I enjoyed until the very last moment.

Reaper menace is the most fearsome I have seen on many years, feeling a true sense of urgency many times.

I feel the new allies are a bit depressing. Most of them are too though and a little of naivety would have been welcomed.
  29. Apr 24, 2011
    * A Good Sci-Fi story, in a rich Universe (with good characters)
    * A crapy "on rails" third-person shooter
    * Even crapier time-based minigames, with no possibility to regulate their difficulty
    * Terrible level design, which breaks the suspension of disbelief...
  30. Jun 4, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It's been a while since I've played newer video games (as in, the last time was in highschool when I owned a N64), and this series seemed well-regarded. I tried to get into it, browsing through the books, comics, trying to get a sense of the whole expanded universe they tried to create. It's sad to be disappointed. Sure, I'll play the third one, just to see how they will tie it up, but I my hopes are not up.

The first Mass Effect was tedious, but had some charm; this game is really the same, though the source of both the tedium and it's charm is different.

Really, the only thing I liked was the opening sequence and some of the writing, which was miles ahead of the really uninteresting story. The opening held some promise (the space you could see out of the top of the ship, the emergence of the secret group from the first game.), but quickly squandered it.
    I liked talking to Joker, but I hated going on with the story. Every possible dramatic moment (characters dying, etc.) is so obviously avoidable, it was tremendously boring. It was also kind of weird! how cold the relationship between Shepherd and characters from the previous game were, as in, they act cold around each other. Considering that many of the players of this game spent at least a bunch of hours with these characters in the last game, you'd think the developer would consider this. I also despised the way the worlds were divided into mission and non-mission areas: it's true, it was lame how almost every other bass in the first game was one of three designs, but taking dividing combat and "talking" areas is a really horrible idea that makes everything really boring. It takes out the element of surprise that a fight could break out any minute and makes it a much more uniform experience.

Also, I know BioWare already acknowledged this, but I don't know how anybody during the conception of the game could think that the planet mining parts was permissible gameplay. Ugh.

Sure somethings were better in this round: the fighting did feel a lot better, and the actual fighting levels I liked. Again, the actual writing was a bit better, though it was still in b-movie land. The worst part is, considering how singularly boring this plot is, there is no way I can trust any professional reviewer who has claimed that BioWare is the king of "epic storytelling" or something. You obviously have not read enough books, or movies, or music or anything to say such a thing. Unless you mean in video gaming, which means that video games still is a child primarily raised by meat-heads. Well, there goes my first video game review. Alas.
  31. Mar 7, 2012
    Not as great as the first game in my opinion. The fact that the whole game kinda moved in a different direction put me off. Still a decent game that I would play again if I had the time.
  32. Mar 19, 2012
    Mass Effect was never a clever game but in this sequel it takes a turn for the dumber. RPG mechanics are stripped out but not properly replaced with good TPS mechanics, there was no sense of urgency (which is unforgivable in such a linear game) and the main story was underdeveloped (to be specific it felt like the writers wanted it to be like a movie heist such as Ocean's Eleven but there was never any pay-off after assembling the team and nobody had a coherent plan). . As I mentioned before the shooting mechanics aren't particularly good; comparing this game to Gears of War would be an insult to the folks at Gearbox. There are little things like being forced to slap the spacebar all the time and bigger things like the lack of interesting enemies that force you to change your play style. The only redeeming aspects of the game were the little call backs to your saves in the original game and the side characters and squad mates who provided all the game's interest. Unfortunately the small joys provided by the characters aren't enough to offset the fact that most of the time you will be playing an uninspired shooter. Two stars. Expand
  33. Apr 6, 2012
    After completing ME1 and enjoying it quite a bit, the expectations were very high for the sequel. First game laid some great foundations on which the sequel could build on while at the same time the few annoyances from the first game could be improved on or removed, thus making this game a true masterpiece. After watching every publication give this game 9+/10, and in general higher marks then the first game, excitement was high. Well, it took me over a year since purchasing the game to complete it, and not because it was particularly difficult, but rather that I would have to take some serious time away from the game every time I was dissapointed, and there were quite a few of those moments throughout.
    First, the good.
    Cut sequences are longer and better than in the first game. Music, the atmosphere during these scenes are on par with any major movie production and it can be quite breathtaking.
    No more vehicle levels. The biggest annoyance with the first game was the grind that one had to endure while driving the vehicle around for 10-15 min at a time (but it felt like hours).
    There is certain epic feel to the game, that you are a part of a grand story. Writing/action/feel of the main story line is very good.

However, negatives are many.
    It seems that Bioware took the first game and decided to dumb it down in every aspect. Character build went from 10-18 unique stats to 4-8, depending on the class. Weapons have no stats. Weapons can't be moded (other than generic "all rifles deal +10% damage"). Game truly does feel like a less polished Gears of War with few dialogue options and illusion of choice.
    Main game itself is very short. Maybe 3 hours total? The rest is spent assembling the team (and waiting for the timed event to allow you to finish it) and doing very short and straight forward side quests... and mining. Mining replace Maco levels from the first game and its fun for about 12 seconds. You need to mine to upgrade weapons/armors/gear/ship, thus you need to keep doing this. And it ain't fun at all.
    Finally, the illusion of choice. Your actions from the first game don't matter. Your romanced Liara or Ashley, yeah you get 4 seconds of different interaction and that is about it - you still get to do everything exactly the same. Wrex lived in the first game? Little different dialogue, but still the same game with 100% of the options available. Also, while ME1 may have been somewhat revolutionary in a concept of an adult romance story, in ME2 you are on a ship with bunch of single humans and aliens that at the same point in time will let you make a move on them and every love story is exactly the same arc with cut scenes that are little different (with the exception of the Asaris).
    Finally, the final level, while intense and fast moving, ends with a boss fight that gets introduced to the story in the last 3 minutes of the game. It seems that they felt the game needed something massive at the end and so they created this lame and relatively easy fight against something big.
    Overall, not a bad game. It just is not an RPG, let alone a great RPG. Its a dumbed down ME1 with the same epic feel and few brilliant moments, but less of everything that made ME1 so good.
  34. Mar 28, 2012
    I am a big fan of Mass Effect who loved the first game, and this one is even better. Hopping around the galaxy, walking through the Citadel, and talking to your squad on the Normandy is as cozy as it always were: you snuggle up with blankets, listen to the same lovely music as in Mass Effect 1, and just let yourself be enveloped by the game and by the world. There is no more driving the infamous Mako, a major drag in Mass Effect 1.

Combat is as much fun as in Mass Effect 1 â
  35. Jul 6, 2012
    The continuation of amazing Mass Effect 1. The scenario and variety of options are still great. The graphics have been hugely improved. All the characters and the world is really beautiful. Besides, you can still choose how to end the game, whether die or to end like a hero and save the world. You can choose whether to be cruel boss or a great leader, whether to be friendly of flirty... This is the best RPG I have ever played. 100% recommend to buy it !!! Expand
  36. Mar 29, 2011
    I enjoyed this game a lot, but agree with other critics that they took away a very fun element, which was the RPG element, probably a bit less micromanagement was the way to go, not completely removing it.

I also found it a bit short, kinda disappointed that i have to pay to get any more extra content that should have been included as side quests for the money i payed...
  37. Aug 15, 2011
    Despite the fact that nearly all of the RPG content was removed.. Mass Effect 2 still brought in one hell of a game. I seriously wish the main plot line was larger though, you'll easily spend most of this game completing sub quests and building your squad. However, all those dull sounding moments turn out to be truly spectacular.
  38. Jun 9, 2012
    To be simple, "Mass Effect 2" is a astounding game that fixes the problems "Mass Effect" had and even surpasses them with superiority. The gameplay is more of the same thing like "ME" but it's still awfully fun. Graphics and the player screen has drastically improved as well as the money system. Yes, in "ME2" weapons and armor aren't overpriced as they were in "ME". Overall a powerful space opera SF role playing game, a game you WILL play. Expand
  39. Oct 6, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a well-written game whose experience may be hindered by the surprisingly-linear level design. However the game does allow you to make certain choices when it comes to speaking with people which largely affects the outcome of the story. Also, the gameplay might not have as many RPG elements as its predecessor, but it works as a solid shooter in an over-saturated market of modern military shooters i.e. Call of Duty. Visuals are gorgeous too. Between the highly-detailed environments and use of lighting, you might feel like you're watching J.J. Abrams' very own space opera. Definitely check this one out if you haven't already. Expand
  40. Nov 22, 2011
    This game was definately good but I didn't see as much in it as many others. It looks great and the voice acting I think is top-notch. However, while at first it seems really good, the shooting becomes a bit monotonous later on (cover, shoot, cover, shoot. I know shooting is always like that but still....). In addition, you have to gain necessary upgrades by scanning which is just sheer boredom and the game seems like such a chore at times to do side-missions for no particular reason and if you don't do them then that character of your team dies. Nowhere near a bad game, it's very enjoyable in parts, just not as great as I was expecting. Expand
  41. Nov 20, 2012
    This is probably my favorite game of all time (fighting for the top spot with Deus Ex). The world's are fascinating, wandering around them is like exploring a real life community. ME1 was also a phenomenal game (also in my top three or four games of all time), but this one improves upon it's graphics and continues the same amazing quality of writing and character development. It's really a must play. The only problem is I really want to play a game I enjoyed as much as this one again, but just can't find one (ME3 just didn't cut it). Expand
  42. Jan 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While it does vastly improve the combat and gameplay of its previous iteration, the story of the game feels so illogical, despite being good and quite interesting. Why do you have to go around the galaxy doing unnecessary sidequests for each character to gain their loyalty, and why would they all want to follow you into an almost certain death anyhow? And how come Shepard with just a small squad is capable of obliterating a god-damn reaper and defeat the whole collectors base on his own, when none else can in the whole damn galaxy with billions, and billions of inhabitants. How come he succeeded so easily? Expand
  43. May 31, 2012
    The acting is almost movie worthy. It's incredible. The story is great, so is the amount of content. The graphics are gorgeous, the maps and design is great. There is only one problem for me - the gameplay, which isn't captivating enough to make me particularly enjoy it. Basically, the gameplay is always the same from start to end and changes little in the entire experience. You duck behind objects and shoot enemies. I find this game to be overhyped for this reason, along with the fact that ME1 did everything this did. The game deserves a solid 8, overall. Expand
  44. Oct 4, 2013
    it is a terrible PC port, typical average console game...
    dont buy it if you want to play an FPS on your computer. clunky, dumbed down controls, MASSIVE (hence the name i suppose) amounts of cutscenes, boring combat, weak role play, no physics engine, dull graphics, no options to gameplay, stupid achievements, dumbed down game play, the list of goes on and on

no idea why this game had
    such good reviews that made me buy it, to my dismay Expand
  45. Oct 2, 2010
    Usually in a trilogy the weakest part is the second part, but boy the rules do not apply here. This game is a masterpiece a classic a game that will be talked about for years and years to come. Even if you do not care to play the first game(which I recommend you do) you will still enjoy this game greatly. The only downside is having to wait for ME3 for the conclusion of this trilogy!
  46. Mar 12, 2011
    Disappointed in the direction the devs took with this one. The first game was so much better in respect to the the RPG roots it branched from. This game seems more like a comic book than a story in a novel, which is what the first felt like. While it is a fun game, it's really to dumbed down. Many things were made far too simple and the game lost all complexity and about the only thing you can customize is weapon loadouts and your armor. Can't even customize the weapons themselves anymore. Mirnada is walking around in a catsuit with high heels in space! Come on! Ammo powers passed off as skills by class? What a joke. If I didn't actually care what happened in the story and the romances, I would give this game a far worse review than I have. Expand
  47. Mar 12, 2011
    The gameplay was a serious disappointment from the first Mass Effect. I am an RPG player and loved the first one so much that I snapped up the second without thinking to find that I had an FPS. While I enjoy a good FPS every once in awhile, I don't look for one titled as an "RPG". They got rid of the dynamic tutorial which reflected key remapping, dropped the small battle map, which I loved, brutalized the story (Did they actually play the first game?), and made the characters into cardboard cutouts. Spike VGA gave this game the award og "BEST RPG of 2010" according to the Mass Effect 3 news release. Clearly they were incredibly high on something. Expand
  48. Nov 17, 2011
    Great game with a nice cinematic like gameplay and beautiful graphics. You can play it through multiple times and experience new things each time, and especially learning about your teammates is interesting. The only negative side is balancing the different classes, but at least they simplified the character developement/stats from the first game, and also made the item system work by removing the constant looting and checking details of every item to get the strongest character. They also made side quests interesting, as it is not just a visit to a random planet/moon where you kill some guys and leaves (the fist game, red). Every action has consequences and it is a brilliant rpg. Can't wait for the third game next year where my Shepard will save the universe once again! Expand
  49. Aug 9, 2011
    The perfect game, more than Mass Effect. Graphics, sound, combat system, story, cinematic animations, missions... all is wonderful. I think this is one of the best gaming experience in the history. Congratulations Bioware
  50. Mar 19, 2011
    The perfect game, more than Mass Effect. Graphics, sound, combat system, story, cinematic animations, background, missions... they are great. Congratulations Bioware!
  51. Apr 4, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is the most engaging RPG I have played to date. Having never played the first Mass Effect I was afraid I would be lost jumping in to what I had learned to be an intended trilogy. That was not the case. Bioware did a fantastic job of establishing Mass Effect 2 as its own story while giving the player a feeling of deep historical conflicts in a very active world. Having the ability to choose your own spoken dialogue within the trademarked Bioware dialogue wheel connects players in a way never before experienced. Playing through this game really gives you the feeling that the choices you make matter (because they do) and that you are the star of your own epic journey. For me, the shooter-esque gameplay is secondary to Mass Effects remarkable interactive adventure. The player is in control be it good or bad, and your decisions impact the game flow and dictate morality. What I mostly love about Bioware games is that they don't just give you the choice of good vs evil, in some instances, the choice boils down to which is the greater good, or which is the greater evil. Beyond that, some situations just put the player in a real moral dilemma with no clear right or wrong. All in all, whether you are an RPG fan, or Joe Customer looking for an all inclusive gameplay experience, Biowares Mass Effect series is hands down one of the greatest video game achievements to grace the senses of game enthusiasts. I for one, cannot wait till Bioware releases their third and final installment of the series titles Mass Effect 3 late 2011. If you are looking for a gaming experience, full of twists and turns, redemption and peril, this game will not disappoint. 9.5/10 , I'll be saving my perfect score for what I presume ME3 will undoubtedly deliver. Expand
  52. May 1, 2011
    Too empty for an RPG, too branching for a shooter, Mass Effect 2 sits in a genre all it's own. I'll admit, when it first came out, I thought Mass Effect 2 was just a lousy attempt by Bioware to make money, but with the new free DLC, it began to look like something good. With all the DLC that Bioware's released, it's finally a good game.
  53. Mar 18, 2012
    Simply mindblowing! Mass Effect 2 is much darker than the first one in its atmosphere and more of a cyberpunk. It gives off the same vibe as the Deus Ex series. I'd even go as far and to say that perhaps it is even more immersive and engrossing than ME1.
    I loved the first Mass Effect and I wondered how the second could possibly top it. Well, it has managed to improve on a lot of aspects
    from the first one, even though it did dumb down a little bit on the RPG element. Now you no longer have a huge inventory full of weapons and their upgrades. In some ways this is good, because you no longer need to spend time cleaning your inventory off the useless stuff, but on the other hand the game lost out on a lot of customization aspects. Mass Effect 2 is a lot more of a squad oriented shooter than the first one was. It improved a lot on the shooter aspect of the gameplay, like making the cover system better, the weapons are more fun to use, and generally the gameplay feels fresher and more polished. Just as with the first game, Mass Effect 2 is incredibly immersive. Not only do you get to travel all over the galaxy again and completing quests, but this time you have 10 team members (plus 2 more with DLCs) instead of 6. Although it might seem a lot, but each and every one of those characters is captivating and has been developed superbly. Although the main plot is not as much the focus of the game as it was in ME1, the game does not lose out here, because the story is more character-driven. You get to recruit each and every team member separately, and additionally you can also do a loyalty mission for each of them, which helps to uncover more of their background and you get to really know what makes each of them tick. On the romance front you have a lot more choice than in the first game too. The galaxy exploration aspect has improved as well. Now you get to actually scan each planet manually and harvest resources from it, which you then need to use on upgrades to your weapons, armor, and ship. I also want to mention that I was incredibly impressed with the final mission. "Epic" is simply not good enough of a word to describe that finale. The whole team is involved in that mission, and this is something I felt that the first game missed out upon. I am glad ME2 had the finale that it deserved. The mission was so intense that I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Your decisions in that mission could have huge effects on whether your teammates would survive or not. It is one of the most dramatic and most memorable moments of video gaming for me. And so to conclude, I'd say that Mass Effect 2 is almost perfect of a game. Sure, it might've lost some of the RPG feel that the first game had, but it's amazing in its own right. It did not remove the good stuff. It simply replaced it with something different. The only thing I can nitpick on is that the same button is used for taking cover, running, and interacting with stuff, so at times you might for example want to run, but Shepard will start talking to a nearby person instead, or you might accidentally take cover on the wrong side of the object in the middle of a gunfight. But that is a very minor nitpick and does not detract from the mindblowingly divine experience this game will provide you with. It's only been a day since I completed it and I am already longing to replay the game, so I started a new playthrough. That is how addictive it is. Expand
  54. Jan 31, 2012
    Developer's decisions are weird sometimes. Replacing simple weapons stats with a description box... yyyy... haven't they read any design book? How does a pile of text make up for some easy and graphically-presented stats?! Than they replaced a good, interesting story-line with a simple gather-a-team-and-finish-them-all thing. In result the only two thing that I've remembered from this episode is that I've died at the beginning (nice one Bioware!) and then picking up some members of my team only to make some wrong decisions at the end and almost killed them then... xD The game is very good and I had a lot of fun but I don't agree with some decisions made there.

Overall:
    ------------
    Graphics 10/10

Audio 9.5/10 (hate the death sound)

Gameplay 9/10 (getting companions -> finishing the game)
  55. May 30, 2011
    ME2 PC

Mass Effect trims many of the RPG elements of the first game resulting in a mostly third person shooter experience. One of my biggest gripes about the first Mass Effect was combat â
  56. Jan 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. They took away the original concept of Mass Effect and made it a FPS...disappointed but still like the story. I dread the mind numbing planet scanning, would definitely not miss this in the next game. Expand
  57. Aug 5, 2013
    The fact that this game feels like just another generic TPS with a dialogue wheel bothers me if this could've combined the RPG elements of Mass Effect 1 and blended them in perfectly with the new gun mechanics it would've have been much happier, also the fact they give the finger to decisions the player made in ME 1 really bothers me still a fairly decent game.
  58. May 29, 2012
    The least fun in the trilogy. ME2 took almost everything that I loved in ME1 away, but at least they made the controls tighter and much better. It's definitely worth playing, and I've but ~50 hours into it total in two playthroughs, but compared to the first game it just doesn't quite cut it. Even ME3 is better.
  59. Oct 30, 2011
    I didn't play the first Mass Effect so I came into this game not knowing most of the back story. But I felt like I knew the characters pretty quickly through good story telling and a fun plot. I really enjoyed the art, music and design of this game. The shooter aspect was fun and something different. There were some dull moments mining planets and equipping upgrades. I found myself not changing out my favorite party members very often because it wasn't really necessary. It wasn't a super deep or complex game but it worked very well. Expand
  60. Nov 9, 2011
    User Interface 7/10
    Sounds 7/10
    Music 7/10
  61. May 14, 2012
    The start of the BEST story-driven trilogy in gaming history. It literally rivals Star Wars in terms of history / content. You'd be a fool not to play this game.
  62. Nov 12, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is the perfect evolution in the Mass Effect series. It's bigger, bolder and more polished. The gunplay is more refined and more enjoyable than Mass Effect 1. Graphics are amazing as well as the sound. The only downside is the lack of emphasis on RPG aspects. If you enjoyed inventory management, huge range of powers, upgrading individual guns in Mass Effect, they are nowhere to be found in Mass Effect 2. In a sense, this makes the series more accessible. Mass Effect 2 contains even more hard choices than its previous installment. A must play for any Mass Effect or shooter fan with a superb story! Expand
  63. Nov 14, 2011
    If you thought that the fist one was the winner than you didn't play Mass Effect 2! Absolutely stunning! Universe just got bigger and more alive! Bunch of great missions to do. Your ship just got twice bigger so did your crew! Yes they striped away some of the RPG elements from the first one. But honestly I don't miss them! Great game is great game. It's more action packed now which is ok with me! Still plenty of guys/gals and aliens to talk to in game! Loved it so much bought it for PS3 game of the year edition as well!! Expand
  64. Nov 17, 2011
    Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are excellent games and well worth the purchase. The games have a wonderfully crafted story which is very well presented. The characters are memorable for their stories and are very well acted. Some of the Downloadable Content is very good, my favorites were Shadow Broker, Overlord and Stolen Memory in that order each added several hours of play time and the boss battle at the end of Shadow Broker was a refreshing departure from previous bosses. The environments all look and feel unique which is a great step from the recycled optional environments from the original. There is so much good about the game it merits atleast 2 play throughs do you can make different choices and try both renegade and paragon approaches. Where the game could use some improvement is minor and very subjective. Combat is great but the enemies are not all that varied. The first boss figh in the game is recycled several times which gets boring but it is usually only on the optional missions where this is seen. More equipment customization would be nice since the only real option is 2 armor suits some different head gear and the guns (of which there are many). I would have liked to see planet exploration from the first game make a come back but it was not all that disappointing. Overall this is a great game with excellet DLC and well worth full price let alone what ever you can get it for now. Expand
  65. Nov 29, 2011
    Well I thought that Mass Effect 1 was a great game.... until I played Mass Effect 2. Every aspect of the game feels better once you get used to it. For example cover is much more useful and is easier to use. There is one big difference between ME and ME2 and that is the introduction of Thermal clips (read ammo). There are also some small details such as time freezing being mapped to shift instead of space-bar by default. Expand
  66. Nov 28, 2011
    The game doesn't show true RPG elements, but, who cares? The decisions, gameplay and well made characters is enough to make you enjoy this game. Wonderful RP game where you can truly shape more or less your adventure.
  67. Dec 1, 2011
    Great game, extremely immersive and addictive. The gameplay is really fun, and character customization is just about right. My only gripe is the game kind of forces you to go either full paragon or full renegade, as going half/half will hurt your character's ability to resolve in-game disputes both in quests and amongst your crew. This essentially removes a lot of choice the player has over how his character reacts to different situations in game and takes a way a huge part of what makes a roleplaying game fun. Other than that one issue though I thoroughly enjoyed this game and look forward to playing number 3! Expand
  68. Jan 16, 2012
    Mass Effect 1 was great, it had its problems but they never got in the way of your enjoyment of the game. Mass Effect 2 failed as a sequel for many reasons. Before I get to the bad stuff, i will say the things I like. The characters, although not brilliant, are well done and entertaining. The graphics are nice and environments are well detailed. The gameplay is great for what it is.
    Levels are more diverse than it's predecessor

Now the bad:

Mining and exploration is tedious and boring, a well designed level should have all the resources you need.
    The story is horrible, and a slap in the face considering this is from Bioware and a sequel to Mass Effect.
    The DLC stories are what the game should have been about.
    The game is less RPG, and more Gears of War clone.

Overall, fans of the original may be disappointed, but for what it is, not a bad game.
  69. Feb 11, 2012
    If you still don't know MASS EFFECT, you should... Its all a RPG action game should be. To travel in many areas of the galaxy exploring, (like it would be with that technology), researching, doing espionage, rescue infiltration and search and destroy missions is extremely entertaining in this title. It makes the first title to look slow in combat and other elements (inventory and credits makes it slow a bit), funny is that MASS EFFECT 1 is very entertaining, innovative and fun as well, but the second is awesome!! If MASS EFFECT 3 surpasses the second the same way it did to the first, we are not going to see another game so good in years to come, it will elevate you gaming experience. The DLC material is very good indeed and worth every penny spent, believe it, you dont want to leave it out of you gameplay. I singed up metacritic because of it and to warn you against the negative score that seemed nonsense. The mixed opinions are related to their taste for games.Im a big fan of STAR WARS games movies, magazines, toys and other, but everything that born must die a some day. MASS EFFECT came in that way. Expand
  70. Mar 8, 2012
    To start off I'm going to say that I enjoyed the game and I'm giving it a 7/10. This game is best thought of as a separate game from the original Mass Effect. The gameplay is very different, many of the RPG elements that Mass Effect DID have, they have removed in this game; the inventory system from the first game has been removed and replaced with a tiny inventory with a very small selection. Weapon pickups are a very rare and scripted event. The story on its own is good and interesting, the characters are darker and the whole theme of the game seems to have been influenced at least a bit by film noir. The music has perhaps too much orchestra and "epic" sounding music rather than the iconic synthesized space music that was in the original game but it is still present to a reasonable degree. One of my main complaints about Mass Effect 2 is that, rather than keeping the good things and improving upon/ fixing the flaws which were present in the original game, many of the flaws are still present and even some of the good things about the first game are not present in the second. One of these good things which has been removed is something I am very sad about; the planet/ galaxy exploration. In the original game you could drive around in a recon vehicle on the surfaces of many planets even if it wasn't required by the plot. This gave the game a very 'big' feel. The galaxy seemed vast, yours to explore and discover. Now, admittedly, the physics for this vehicle were quite silly and unpredictable and didn't quite work with the hilly terrain, but the music on these planets, the beautiful background art and the cool effects like a blizzard or meteor shower made it an amazing experience. Rather than fixing the handling of this vehicle for the second game, Bioware decided to remove planet exploration completely. They replaced it with the ability to 'scan' planets for resources with the option of occasionally landing for a scripted mission in a small area or corridor shootout. The game suffers for this. The universe seems much MUCH smaller. Scanning planets is very tedious and dull.

The game also seems a bit rushed or incomplete. The characters don't quite flesh out and some aren't developed very well at all. One example is the character "Garrus" and alien companion who returns from the first game. In Mass effect 1 & 2 you can move around your ship conversing with the various characters who are traveling with you and most of them have quite a lot to say. Garrus, however, keeps telling me to 'wait a bit' because he's in the middle of calibrating something. Garrus was an interesting and relatable character in Mass Effect 1 and a fan favorite and to see him left underdeveloped like this is really quite disappointing.

Criticism aside, many of the side quests in this game were interesting and the locations were a lot of fun to explore. The story was good sometimes and bad others. Overall I enjoyed the game though it was very different from the first.
  71. Mar 10, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is the definition of hit-and-miss. Story-telling is great while the story itself was barely satisfactory. Fighting the various Geth incarnations was thrilling, where swatting the husks on the Collector's ship was frustrating. That mission is at best a fly swatting simulator, at worst, the laziest level design I've ever seen. If you want Sci-Fi story, watch Fire Fly. Grab ME2 if it's in the bargain bin. Expand
  72. Mar 11, 2012
    My review for this one is similar to the first. Gameplay: Walk slowly down hallways, aim slowly at bad guys, press a button to take cover as they slowly walk and aim at you. Like every other console third person shooter, only especially slow. The story; you are a space marine fighting an alien force bent on destroying life. Sound familiar? It should, and I shouldn't have to list the HUNDREDS of examples. The definition of average. The one thing this game has over similar titles is the speech options and customizations that allow you to feel like your game is special. It's not, but at least they pull off the ability to make you feel it is. Mass effect 2 has one issue in particular that I feel should be discussed. Many of the things you attempt are oddly limited, despite the games hinting towards your ability to accomplish such things. For example, the second time I played the game, I played as fem shep, just so I could totally lez out (Im a typical 20 something bro). The game seemed like it would allow you to do whatever (or whomever) I wished, but then at the end, denied. So I just figured girl on girl action just wasn't in the game...until I found out later that is was, only with specific characters. One of those characters is NOT the girl who says shes slept with women before! Say what you will about gay stuff, but that's just bad game design. A good game will either flat out tell you something is impossible (fable will show you if a character digs chicks before you even talk to them) or never present you with an option to waste your time (halflife has no romance). A bad game design will let the player waste his time doing something it hints towards being possible, only to punish them later. We play games to get away from that crap. Many aspects of this games choose your own adventure style play are bad game design, even more so than the first. Expand
  73. May 22, 2012
    I really love this game. It seems that people who think ME 1 was better are suffering from nostalgia, because I played both in order within a week of eachother, and ME II is by far superior. P.S, I'm a Talimancer. Tali FTW!
  74. Jun 19, 2012
    This game is like high budget action movie. Exciting and visually orgasmic, but only the first time around. After that, you see past the special effects, notice it's flaws and decide it wasn't that great after all. The worst part is that ME2 looks exactly the same on every playthrough. Freedom of choice or non-linearity? Forget it! The only choices you can make are whether you want Shep to be a jerkass or a slightly nicer jerkass when talking to people. Even paragon Shepard isn't really someone you'd want to meet. The only thing I really liked about ME2 were the squad members - while they aren't exactly nice people, they're all well written and generally likeable. Overall, ME2 is a dumbed down ME1 (which was hardly a complex cRPG) stripped of it's non linearity and fitted with better graphics and a more Gears of War style combat system. Good for one go, but no more. Expand
  75. Jun 29, 2012
    3 points for graphic and storyline. The game is a nice action adventure, but not a RPG. Wolfenstein from 2008 is more a RPG than Mass Effect. With 3 team members your avatar wipe out all life in the galaxy in 2 long weekends, than you have get the maximum player level and when you have all the upgrades, perks, abilitys and items the games ends abruptly, you can drop your lovely leveled avatar in the trash and start a new game. For me the game is only a stand alone graphic patch for Star Wars KOTOR. Extreme potential wasted! Expand
  76. Jun 3, 2013
    As a person who's played Mass Effect 2 both on the PS3 and PC, I have all rights to say that with me being a dedicated fan to the franchise, this never stood up to be the proper sequel to Mass Effect 1 everyone wanted to be. Sure it's good compared to Mass Effect 3, but let's forget that disaster for a moment and get down to what Mass Effect 2 had, and what it shouldn't have had.

of all, the PC Port is pretty bad. I mean I am glad that aiming with the mouse works as it should, but binding Sprint/Interact/Cover all to the same button? What happened to the special treatment Mass Effect 1 got for PC? None of that is there, and the game really suffers greatly from having sprint and cover on the same button as you find yourself locking into cover while trying to retreat from the enemies, leaving you completely exposed to their gunfire while you go through the animations of getting out of cover again. Mass Effect 1 had you just pressing against cover without the need of button presses, and allowed you to crouch in cover too. What happened to all of that?

Now the removal of overheat and grenades are for balance, I can understand that and honestly I wasn't bothered by it as much as I could've been, however, the in-world explanation is just so damn stupid I can't imagine how BioWare managed to laugh up the fact that it would be a good idea to choose that over the overheat system.

A lot of missions are repetitive, which is something all three entries suffer greatly from. While Mass Effect 2 at least varies its' environments, half of the loyalty missions and sidequests consist of nothing but mindless shooting with 2 minute long cutscenes at the start and end trying to justify why it made sense to enter a gunfight, and sadly here Mass Effect 2 doesn't fare any better than any other third person shooter. If you were dumb enough to play as Soldier, you're gonna get the bore of your life as this game is all about biotics and tech, so there are some classes which are absolutely boring to play as compared to others. My personal favorite was Vanguard, which I think was amazing to play as and I had a good time playing through the game.

Dialogue wise, it was outstanding, the story is well told and executed surprisingly well looking at the state of gaming back then. The interrupts were a great addition and you can't criticize Mass Effect 2 for its lack of dialogue. This game executes its characters really well and does an excellent job immersing you in the story and making your personal morale affect what choices you make in the game. Top notch!

Last but not least, the save game system, which was meh at best. You'd get some letters from people or extra dialogue, however you don't miss a lot not having a Mass Effect 1 save game ready.

Overall though, this game is really flawed in comparison to Mass Effect 1. A 4 is the brutally honest rating I'd give this game, because as far as it fares against its predecessor, it's cons largely obscure its pros, merely for the fact that Mass Effect 1 offered almost all of that too.
  77. Nov 4, 2012
    If you love the sci-fi genre you will be satisfied. Immersive, good dialogues, good character developement; good cinematics. The whole experience has been truly enthralling. Worth every dime.
  78. May 9, 2013
    One word to describe this game would be: betrayal.
    In order to round up a greater audience for the game, they made the game as similar to any other game out there, mainly Halo.
    RPG elements-removed, no-ammo-removed, planet exploration removed.
    Mass Effect 1 wasn't a pure open world game, but hey, compared to Mass Effect 2 you could call it just as open as GTAs. I mean Mass Effect 2 is
    so linear, so that a monkey with a controller could complete this game on easy (you'd have to teach him to shoot and collect ammo if you'd want him to beat harder difficulties).
    Don't get me wrong, the story is great and all, but the gameplay is awful at this point. The second time I played it I used mods to make it feel more like the first game.
    Another annoyingly stupid thing is the DLCs. There are too many of them. Ok, maybe that's not the biggest problem point. They are to expensive for what they are. You wont get more than 2 hours of gameplay with each of them, but they sure cost like if they were at least 10 hours of gameplay. And the fact that the characters got released one by one after release, you had to replay the game over and over again, if you wanted to have the full experience with each of them. It's just frustrating, if you want to know every little bit of the story, which is the best part of the game.
    Essentially, this game was a big disappointment for me, and didn't feel like a Mass Effect game, at least gameplay wise. The removal of all the best stuff from Mass Effect 1, was the worst part for me, that really hurt the franchise in my eyes.
  79. Mar 6, 2014
    This game was my first in the Mass Effect series. Unfortunately I discovered the series way after it was popular. So at first I didn't know what the hub bub was about. If your new to the series at first it just seems a little flat. It seemed it was more about graphics and such. And the series seemed to be a more modern and not Star Wars universe rip off of KOTOR.

After you get playing
    you see what the series is about. It has a lot going for it. First it is a first person shooter for the average Joe. Then they throw in coordinated squad combat. They up the anti by giving you a character that can allow you to chose good or bad actions, as you choose without ruining the storyline. They wisely have you playing the title character but allow you to customize your story and looks. They also have you choose a class, but allow you to chose the way your character levels up. Which can greatly alter your game experience when you choose to replay the game.

Then they allow you to upgrade weapons, your ship and even choose how your squad mates level up. You can even just let your squad mates help you in fights or command them who to attack. But to make the game better they add mini games. Which just adds an entire new level of enjoyment to the game.

But the big draw is probably story. The game has a story line for you. You make choices that can affect the way your companions see you. And may subtly affect other aspects of the story. On top of that story you get other stories very much like the KOTOR series does.

In the end the game seems to take the best of the KOTOR series and change it up enough so that you have similarly great aspects. But with enough changes to make the system seem fresh and exciting.

Because you can choose to go in so many directions the game has great replay value. Certainly a game worth owning. And probably should be in any RPG fan's collection.
  80. Feb 28, 2012
    Bioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. Go buy this game now, as well as it's original incarnation! Expand
  81. Yaz
    Sep 5, 2010
    This game is great. The atmosphere makes up for a lack of variety in combat. I did not like the restrictive environments (you can't really go anywhere on the Citadel for example), but in general if you liked the first, you should give this one a chance. Planet scanning does suck though.
  82. Sep 5, 2010
    With attractive graphics, a fantastic score, convincing voice action and a compelling storyline, Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first game left off and will keep you playing late into the night. The second game has improved a few of the niggling gameplay issues in the first game, but still has a little room for improvement. It's easy to forgive any minor flaws in the game though, simply because of its finesse and style overall. The Mass Effect games so far have been two of the most evocative titles released in the last 5 years. If you've played the first game, you probably already bought the second. If you've played neither, start now. Expand
  83. Mar 13, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 really is a mixed bag. One the one hand, one can't help but be impressed with the quality of the audiovisual presentation. The voice actors are probably the best in the business and they are able to create an atmosphere unlike in any other games. Especially Jennifer Hale as the female Shepard deserves a lot of praise for her work. The modelers, animators and texture artists are incredibly talented as well and their work is impressive to behold. Most of the dialog is well written, which is pretty rare for a computer (or should I say video?) game.

But on the other hand, the actual game play is somewhat clumsy and even boring. Bioware (or perhaps EA?) essentially dropped almost all of the RPG elements and tried to go for a Gears of War type of game play. How ever, they couldn't pull it of. Gears of War is far more fluid and the game play in that game is high octane adrenaline rush. Where as ME2 game play is something from the previous decade. It's unresponsive , repetitive and dull. Duck and cover, point and click. The less said about the embarrassing mini games, the better.

Bioware prides itself in being able to tell great stories. And while the method of the story telling in ME2 is nice, the actually story is almost non existent. It feels more like a collection of side quests, rather than a really story.

In the end, one gets the feeling that Bioware is trying to reach out to new gamers. And in doing so, they have decided to ditch the traditional RPG elements. Whether this strategy works for them, I can't really say, but for my part, I will no longer associate the Bioware brand with high quality RPG's. Mass Effect 2 is really an interactive movie with a shoddy fps game. And because games are incredibly expensive, spending money on a mediocrity is simply not worth it. Spend your money on good books or movies instead.
  84. Aug 14, 2011
    The game is very good and better than i expected. The pros: The game is very long especially compared to most games today although the actual main story alone is not very long, the graphics are excellent, good game play that combines 3rd person shooting with class powers that add a tactical element as well as simply making it more fun, there are some great RPG elements, the main being how you want to act and react as well as allow one to customize ones character very well, excellent story with believable, varied characters and world that keeps ones interest, excellent sound, music and especially voice acting.Neutral points that can be improved upon: the hacking and bypassing mini-games are fine but they are too simple and become tedious relatively fast, scanning planets for resources is okay at first but becomes boring quite quickly Cons: Short main story, feels repetitive at times, although the game allows one to customize ones character very well there are not many different weapons or armour available, the game does a good job of creating an illusion that it is a big game but in actual fact it is not. There are only four landable locations, the rest of the locations one only goes there once for a mission. Overall a excellent game that i enjoyed very much although there are a few things that can make it even better.Mass effect 3 just needs to build on the rpg elements and have a bit more variety as well as be a bigger game to surpass it's predecessor, lets hope it does .9/10 Expand
  85. Jan 4, 2011
    The Good: The difference between a plot and a story is that the plot is what happens, and the story is what the book/movie/video game is about. The plot of ME2 is incredibly awesome. It's epic, fast-paced, and quite original. The story, not so much, but I'll get to that later. The voice acting overall is quite good. The gameplay mechanics are solid and responsive. The bots are average, though I have yet to see good video game AI in any game. The side quests are immersive and entertaining. The characters are relatable and your relationships with them are believable. You don't have to micromanage your squad's weapons, armor, and mods anymore (thank God) and this makes the game much more streamlined, even if it's more of an FPS as a result.

The Bad: The story seems too short and it's like Bioware stuck in the loyalty missions just to add length to the game. That's not to say that these missions aren't rewarding or entertaining; in fact they're better than some of the plot missions. The final battle is disappointingly easy when compared to the final battle in ME1 and it was actually harder to get to the room where it takes place than to actually win the fight. I also did not like how they took out the driving portions of the game. Now, I know most people hated driving that car in ME1, but I liked it, and it was certainly better than just scanning the planet for the resources you need.

The Ugly: (DISCLAIMER: Some of these issues may have been due to the fact that my computer is slightly underpowered and not due to the actual game.) Blinking still looks freakin weird with eyelids and eye lashes overlapping and showing through each other and just being a bit disturbing. Occasionally, if I was walking too close to a wall that had kind of a slope, I'd get stuck on it and wouldn't be able to move. Facial expressions look odd and slightly robotic, but the voice acting makes up for it so I'm good. Sometimes during a cut scene the camera would go inside Shepard or some other character and obstruct my view until the camera moved a little. Very rarely (like once or twice) the game would lock up for 30 to 45 seconds inside the Normandy, but then it kept moving and everything was fine.

Overall, I absolutely loved this game. It has definitely moved to the Number 1 spot on my list of Best Games Ever, beating out Twilight Princess. Buy it. NOW.
  86. May 23, 2011
    If you are reading this you are no doubt aware that this is one of the finest games created in this generation. Regardless of what platform you have, this game is a must play. That being said I'm going to describe the pros and cons of playing the PC version. First off the PC version has some bugs and as of this writing they have no been patched. In the Normandy you will occasionally fall through the ship into a pitch black chasm. This is not often, but it happens and it's actually pretty hilarious. When it does happen you can just reload the checkpoint (which is updated often) and go on your merry way. The other problem with the PC version is the Liara mission which was pretty bad. If you don't do Liara's mission immediately after she asks you to do it and you run off to do something else then when you come back there will be a bug where you hack all the terminals but can't proceed in her mission. This ruined one playthrough for me so as long you know to do Liara's mission right away you should be fine. If you can deal with this bugs and you have a good system prepare to be rewarded with the benefits of the PC version. The graphics are far superior to the console versions, with beautiful, high resolution textures and anti-aliasing. Playing it on my 23" 1080p monitor and 5.1 speaker system was a blast. Surprisingly the cutscenes were not rendered in 1080p but in 720p, so the in-game cutscenes looks far better than the pre-rendered cutscenes, ironically. Playing with a mouse and keyboard are also fantastic, but beware that the default keyboard configuration is strange, to say the least. You can quickly customize this to your liking and it will feel much better than playing with a controller, especially since you can now quicksave. Bioware did not map the interactive dialogue to the number keys though, so you're stuck using a mouse to awkwardly choose your dialogue option in a wheel. Overall the problems with the PC version are minimal but if you have the rig to run it, it is definitely worth it. Expand
  87. Oct 15, 2010
    Ok, so i've had this game since it came out. Beat it twice- Once time Good- One time doing what i would do in real life. So, the Good: Great Graphics - Superb Story Line - Great Characters The Bad - The RPG elements have been downgraded from ME1. It just doesn't feel the same, strategic feel, of the first ME. I can just run around pressing (spacebar) on everything. With that aside, only small glitches in acting/voice appear rarely. I've had only 2 problems like this since it came out - 1) Miranda -on her loyalty mission- was floating above us when we came out of the elevator. 2) The sound of cars (In Lair of The Shadow Broker) kept continuing after i crashed the detective, and fought her guards. So, besides the RPG elements and rare glitches, this is a very, very good game. With the captivating story line, and stunning graphics, i only wonder how they will beat this with ME3 (It IS a trilogy, and ME3 WILL come out, in-case some of you did not know). The only thing they could've done better, was tone up the RPG element, which i believe they will do in ME3. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking about getting it. Expand
  88. Oct 16, 2010
    Barely enjoyable. I did not play ME1 and I bought ME2 through Steam on-line. Those two conditions probably did me in as I have never gotten comfortable with the combat interface. I am ok with guns. They are simple and work like you think they would. The special talents always seem to go awry. When they work they are great, but its luck. Maybe if I had the game manual it would make more sense. I have played it for hours, but I am not even interested in finishing it. Expand
  89. Oct 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are too many good things in this game to list them all, which is fitting since the question isn't "What is good about this game". The question is "What ISN'T good about this game", and the most i can come up with (after playing it many times) is the mining mini game. This is the only part of the game that is seriously lack luster. The last boss was also a slightly disappointing climax, and an illogical overall "evil scheme" made by the bad guys in ME2.

That said, there are flaws in all games, however compared to the first mass effect (and many other RPGs), Mass Effect 2 is the closest I've seen to a perfect game in the recent decade ever since the first xbox and the N64 was put out of commission.

Overall, it is an excellent game and a testament to the fact that Bioware remains on the cutting edge of western RPGs, and further solidifies themselves as a world renown game developer
  90. Jan 10, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 has the worst continuation of story in any sci-fi. It destroyed the lore of Mass Effect 1, made main antagonists into brain dead morons, and it actually serves no point, because we didn't learn anything really important in it, for example, how to stop the reapers or how to unite a galaxy against this threat and so on and fourth. The beginning just happened and later on no further themes of this "revival" weren't addressed nor the whole process explained. Shepard died and got resurrected, just to serve the plot, it adds no meaning nor change to main characters character, Shepard seems to be just a static brick. Overall, the storyline was not good, at all.
    Other problems contains game mechanics and oversimplification of RPG elements and lore breaking transition from unique concept of weapon mechanics to general ammo clips. Exploration is also dumped down to boring planet search minigame. Customization was improved on some parts, but overall it was also majorly oversimplified and generalized. They really tried to push this game to general audience, which they shouldn't have been doing in the first place.
    ME2 marks the beginning of the complete wreckage for the whole franchise, ME3 being the second mark on that path. This game shows how lack of attention to the detail and story can destroy the potential of interesting and engaging lore.
  91. Jul 2, 2011
    First, ME2 has brilliant production values. The art design is amazing and the presentation is stellar, like most BioWare games. But strip away all that, and you have a very lacking game, sadly. Missions are greatly stripped down compared to ME1, and even character interaction is "streamlined" for the sake of "accessibility". Actual driving was replaced with a load screen...physically finding minerals was replaced with the infamous mini-game...weapon customization was removed...how is this progress? But the biggest crime is the story...it's totally contrived. Nobody can explain why the bad guys did what they did...the end boss made no sense and was never explained. Where's Saren when you need him... So sorry to say but ME2 has suffered the BioWare effect where they take a great game and make the sequel vastly inferior in order to misguidedly appeal to the "masses". Well this "masses" effect is NOT making things better. ME2 is still a great game...just fatally flawed and is more of a tragicomedy than its developers realize. I score it a 3 compared to ME1, 8 or 9 compared to most games, and a 7 overall. Expand
  92. Nov 17, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a continuation of the military sci-fi Mass Effect saga developed by the now-legendary Bioware. Mass Effect 2 does a masterful job of recreating and improving on the sci-fi atmosphere and themes of the original, and brings with it further development of one of the best storylines of the decade. The gameplay, graphics, and soundtrack are all improved.

The soundtrack, while
    it has lost much of the familiar 80's vibes associated with the original game, is nonetheless phenomenal, and will not disappoint. I liked the new soundtrack so much I ended up buying it as well.

Perhaps the greatest improvement in Mass Effect 2 was how quickly the game got moving. In the original Mass Effect, masterpiece though it was, I often felt like I was beginning the undertaking of reading a nice book. Despite being a terrific experience on the whole, it had a slow start, and didn't become particularly interesting until after you had played for a couple hours to allow the story to develop more and get through the earlier "groundwork stages" of the game.

In contrast, Mass Effect 2 has vastly improved in this area, and took my breath away almost as soon as I started playing. The improvements in the combat system, character cast, and riveting story kept me coming back for more and more! This was also likely due to the fact that the sequel builds on the groundwork put in place by the original game of the series. Overall, Mass Effect 2 is essentially flawless. All the familiar elements of the perfect game are here. The thought-provoking story is there. The graphics are good, and complement the setting and themes of the game nicely. The gameplay has improved, both in terms of dialog options, and in terms of pure combat-enjoyment. Don't miss out on the number one military sci-fi epic of our decade!
  93. Nov 21, 2010
    A really excellent game. The story is very good, and the outcome of the game can vary dramatically depending on your actions, which I find to be a big plus. The characters are very interesting and fun to interact with. The connection with the previous game and promise of more to come in the sequel feel like a real plus, as opposed to just a marketing gimmick. There are a few very minor things that bugged me and keep my rating at a 9 instead of 10, but I still think this game is well worth buying for anyone who enjoys RPGs at all. Expand
  94. Nov 26, 2010
    One of the best games I've ever played, right up there with Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 4. I don't generally like 3rd person shooters, but Bioware did a great job on it. Game play is very engrossing and story line is quite good (though not the best).
  95. Nov 26, 2010
    I found this game more enjoyable than the first one which surpises me. I felt that the story was weaker in mass effect 2, and that some of the parts of the game didnt realy add up. But the gameplay was nearly perfect and so was the acting and the design of the game. Dissapointed in the lack of weapons and armor but it is much more simple than spamming through countless amounts of useless stuff in the first game. I realy thought that they over done theirselves with most of the characters, and thought that my actions from the first game affecting many noticeable things in this game was realy cool. I know that mass effect 2 is bassicaly the final editing for the trilogy and the final game. The planetary exploration is just as boring infact almost more pointless than the first one. But your actions realy do matter making the anticipation for the final game the most exciting thing i have actualy felt for a game, seeing that the sequals actually do matter. Unlike all other games. Expand
  96. Aug 14, 2011
    Best game I have ever played in my life.
    The soundtrack, voice acting, gameplay. exploring and an open world game. Clocked this game 3 times and I intend to play more of it!

97. Jan 3, 2011
    Greatest game ever dudes!!Graphics awesome,the best story,characters are perfect and so much more!!don't listen to the haters cause you will miss the Best game!!!
  98. Dec 31, 2011
    There are non-stop complains about mass effect 2 after its release. I, for one, genuinely believe this game is a ground breaking game that beautifully combined shooter gameplay with a role playing storyline and it's also the best game Bioware offered so far after Baldur's Gate series. The most problems people complained at are actually what makes mass effect 2 truly shine. I understand die hard RPG fans are very hard to please, but the game has to evolve to get better. Mass Effect 2 did it and did it brilliantly. First, the removal of redundant inventory makes mass effect 2 a very well paced game. One of major bad design in mass effect is its painful inventory system. so you are a distinguish soldier and a spectre and you still have to kill mobs to loot better weapons and armors or sell those stuff for credits? why the council does not supply the best gears and funds to you? Also, dont you feel weird that a human being can carry dozens of guns and armors with him. Mass Effect 2 did it right, shepard can only carry several guns on mission and every weapon you start with is still viable in later game, also you get funds directly from Cerberus. Those changes are made for better experience. One thing I do miss is the weapon mods. they could do it like deus ex that gives a small and limited space to store some extra stuff. Second, character development is still a huge part of gameplay and the skills and abilities are still necessary for combat and social especially when mass effect 2's shooting mechanics is actually not that great. Some people think that role-playing means running around for meaningless side quests (mass effect 1 comes to mind) and keeping track of stats. I would those are not what defines role playing game. Mass Effect 2 gives the player the true immersion that you can expect from a role playing story line. That means taking a role and feel your role not plodding with meaningless exploration and stats. Expand
  99. Jan 26, 2012
    Simply awesome, at first its "good" but as you start playing it, it gets a lot better. Depending of what you say or do in the game, affects the story in some way. They are only a few problems like crashing and audio glitching out, but they appear rarely so it doesn't ruin the experience. I highly recommend this.
  100. Feb 4, 2011
    Bioware.. is there a better RPG developer? If so, Mass Effect 2 extinguishes any doubt. A stunningly beautiful game with spectacular scenery and amazing visuals, this game will not disappoint when it comes to eye candy. A step up from the traditional RPG style of Bioware, the games combat allows real time combat and decent shooter action, with the well known Bioware stragetical pausing weve grown accustomed to all mixed together. The games real strengths come from the plot, which allows the player to choose various conversation choices aswell as plot paths which can make dramatic consequences to the way the player experiences and inevitably ends the game. If you are a veteran of RPGs or wanting to dip your toe in and test the water, Mass Effect 2 is an excellent game to experience. The worst thing about this game is the time waiting for Mass Effect 3 to be released. 10/10. Expand

1. Mass Effect 2 resumes with pride the path opened by the first game. This sequel is a lesson of how things should be made.
  2. Mass Effect 2 delivers a story that's deeper than what many novelists are capable of, and its action is better than what most Hollywood directors are creating nowadays. It's an addictive, engrossing experience that many gamers will replay over and over while they hold their breath waiting for the third game.
  3. A brilliant mix of shooter and role-playing, filled with great characters, excellent design, lots of action and clever dialogue. It's a shame though that Bioware did not improve the inventory and skill system of the first game, but actually reduced it even more. I really wished there were more customization options, more ways to develop and gear up my characters. But all these are merely small points of criticism, since there is so much to feel and experience in this game. Mass Effect 2 is a thrilling, emotional ride and ultimately every bit as good as its predecessor.