8.7

1. AkiI
    Apr 7, 2010
    I haven't played a game as satisfying as ME2 in years, on keeping all it's promises and surpassing all expectations. A true roleplaying game, with choices you've made following you to the end, instead of just the hollow leveling. Makers of Fina Fantasy should play this game to learn how to write good and believable characters and outcomes.
  2. JayE
    Feb 13, 2010
    Great game! Better than the first in almost every way. The only major problem is the controls, thanks to [insert curse word here] consoles. There is no mouse wheel control at all (except weapon toggling), you can't double-click anything, even single clicking menu items wont do anything when you expect it to, which means that you end up clicking a menu item, then clicking the button Great game! Better than the first in almost every way. The only major problem is the controls, thanks to [insert curse word here] consoles. There is no mouse wheel control at all (except weapon toggling), you can't double-click anything, even single clicking menu items wont do anything when you expect it to, which means that you end up clicking a menu item, then clicking the button at the bottom.. repeat and rinse until clean. Plus you cant move left or right when you are sprinting, weapon selection is slow and tedious, general menu navigation delays, and other control related problems ruining the whole experience. But other than that, the game itself is great! Awesome story line and characters, interesting locations and missions, unlike the first game where planet exploration was repetitive and boring. One thing that does get tedious is the planet scanning. You need to spend 5 minutes scanning each globe to gather minerals for upgrades, which becomes quite tiresome after the tenth planet scan. Another problem is moving your character around in the levels. You end up "snapping" to cover when unexpected, and its a pain "unsnapping" from cover, and you tend to get stuck on corners for no apparent reason, and sometimes you become completely stuck in a wall, resulting in you having to reload the last save point. It would have gotten 10/10 if it wasn't riddled with consolitis. Expand
  3. Oct 30, 2011
    I didn't play the first Mass Effect so I came into this game not knowing most of the back story. But I felt like I knew the characters pretty quickly through good story telling and a fun plot. I really enjoyed the art, music and design of this game. The shooter aspect was fun and something different. There were some dull moments mining planets and equipping upgrades. I found myself notI didn't play the first Mass Effect so I came into this game not knowing most of the back story. But I felt like I knew the characters pretty quickly through good story telling and a fun plot. I really enjoyed the art, music and design of this game. The shooter aspect was fun and something different. There were some dull moments mining planets and equipping upgrades. I found myself not changing out my favorite party members very often because it wasn't really necessary. It wasn't a super deep or complex game but it worked very well. Expand
  4. Mar 13, 2012
    I love that game. I have beaten it few times now, which is a lot for a 30 hours long game. I guess that says everything. As much as it could be better game and it could incorporate your choices in more distinctive way (they are mainly one-liners in dialogue), It still has lovable universe, great plot line, rewarding gameplay and it is a "Star Wars saga of Games".
  5. Mar 22, 2012
    I quite enjoyed this game. It improved on ME1s combat and it was a great story as well. The customization of the weapons saddened me. Too few weapons, no way to improve via modifications. Also, I disliked the running. You couldn't run any other direction but straight, and you couldn't even run for too long. But none of this affected my score too much, if I could give a 9.5, I would. AndI quite enjoyed this game. It improved on ME1s combat and it was a great story as well. The customization of the weapons saddened me. Too few weapons, no way to improve via modifications. Also, I disliked the running. You couldn't run any other direction but straight, and you couldn't even run for too long. But none of this affected my score too much, if I could give a 9.5, I would. And despite these minor faults, the game was still an absolute blast to play. Expand
  6. Mar 6, 2014
    This game was my first in the Mass Effect series. Unfortunately I discovered the series way after it was popular. So at first I didn't know what the hub bub was about. If your new to the series at first it just seems a little flat. It seemed it was more about graphics and such. And the series seemed to be a more modern and not Star Wars universe rip off of KOTOR.

After you get playing

After you get playing you see what the series is about. It has a lot going for it. First it is a first person shooter for the average Joe. Then they throw in coordinated squad combat. They up the anti by giving you a character that can allow you to chose good or bad actions, as you choose without ruining the storyline. They wisely have you playing the title character but allow you to customize your story and looks. They also have you choose a class, but allow you to chose the way your character levels up. Which can greatly alter your game experience when you choose to replay the game.

Then they allow you to upgrade weapons, your ship and even choose how your squad mates level up. You can even just let your squad mates help you in fights or command them who to attack. But to make the game better they add mini games. Which just adds an entire new level of enjoyment to the game.

But the big draw is probably story. The game has a story line for you. You make choices that can affect the way your companions see you. And may subtly affect other aspects of the story. On top of that story you get other stories very much like the KOTOR series does.

In the end the game seems to take the best of the KOTOR series and change it up enough so that you have similarly great aspects. But with enough changes to make the system seem fresh and exciting.

Because you can choose to go in so many directions the game has great replay value. Certainly a game worth owning. And probably should be in any RPG fan's collection.
  7. F.D
    Feb 18, 2010
    Bioware - a powerhouse when it comes to Games. Quality games, especially for the PC, are hard to find nowadays. Mass Effect 2 vastly improves on the already epic Mass Effect, they have removed much of the unnecessary content that plagued Mass Effect and adjusted the controls and classes. Graphics are great and the dialogue is superb, feels like your inside a movie when playing the game. I Bioware - a powerhouse when it comes to Games. Quality games, especially for the PC, are hard to find nowadays. Mass Effect 2 vastly improves on the already epic Mass Effect, they have removed much of the unnecessary content that plagued Mass Effect and adjusted the controls and classes. Graphics are great and the dialogue is superb, feels like your inside a movie when playing the game. I also love the fact that the storyline evolves based on your actions. Great replay value also to experience all the different paths you can take. This game is worth the money it costs. Expand
  8. SvenP
    Mar 8, 2010
    One of the best games ever. The story and the Characters are the best on the PC at the moment. Only thing I have to critic is that there are no real RP elements like an inventory and the "skills" are lame.
  9. MetehanB.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Maybe it's a little bit different than a RPG, an Action-RPG, but still it's really the best made BioWare game, like they said =) My real score is 9.6 ;)
  10. StuartF
    Feb 26, 2010
    One of the best stories in an RPG for a long time. Coupled with a faster pace than a traditional RPG you are sucked right in and dragged along. With an ending dramatic enough for the movies you won't be disappointed playing it all the way through. But do take time out to explore and find the hidden missions in the outer systems. Team AI is on the whole pretty good, theres a few One of the best stories in an RPG for a long time. Coupled with a faster pace than a traditional RPG you are sucked right in and dragged along. With an ending dramatic enough for the movies you won't be disappointed playing it all the way through. But do take time out to explore and find the hidden missions in the outer systems. Team AI is on the whole pretty good, theres a few points where your squad gets stuck or runs forward like an idiot into a wall of bullets. But generous quantities of medi-gel make it more of a task just to revive them rather than a game breaking issue. For a PC release you really do feel this was developed for the consoles, lack of a basic screen shot function is very obvious. But the simplified interface leaves you more time to focus on enjoying the game and not just juggling stats. Expand
  11. Feb 28, 2012
    Bioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. GoBioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. Go buy this game now, as well as it's original incarnation! Expand
  12. Yaz
    Sep 5, 2010
    This game is great. The atmosphere makes up for a lack of variety in combat. I did not like the restrictive environments (you can't really go anywhere on the Citadel for example), but in general if you liked the first, you should give this one a chance. Planet scanning does suck though.
  13. Sep 5, 2010
    With attractive graphics, a fantastic score, convincing voice action and a compelling storyline, Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first game left off and will keep you playing late into the night. The second game has improved a few of the niggling gameplay issues in the first game, but still has a little room for improvement. It's easy to forgive any minor flaws in the game though, simplyWith attractive graphics, a fantastic score, convincing voice action and a compelling storyline, Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first game left off and will keep you playing late into the night. The second game has improved a few of the niggling gameplay issues in the first game, but still has a little room for improvement. It's easy to forgive any minor flaws in the game though, simply because of its finesse and style overall. The Mass Effect games so far have been two of the most evocative titles released in the last 5 years. If you've played the first game, you probably already bought the second. If you've played neither, start now. Expand
  14. Oct 15, 2010
    Ok, so i've had this game since it came out. Beat it twice- Once time Good- One time doing what i would do in real life. So, the Good: Great Graphics - Superb Story Line - Great Characters The Bad - The RPG elements have been downgraded from ME1. It just doesn't feel the same, strategic feel, of the first ME. I can just run around pressing (spacebar) on everything. With that aside, onlyOk, so i've had this game since it came out. Beat it twice- Once time Good- One time doing what i would do in real life. So, the Good: Great Graphics - Superb Story Line - Great Characters The Bad - The RPG elements have been downgraded from ME1. It just doesn't feel the same, strategic feel, of the first ME. I can just run around pressing (spacebar) on everything. With that aside, only small glitches in acting/voice appear rarely. I've had only 2 problems like this since it came out - 1) Miranda -on her loyalty mission- was floating above us when we came out of the elevator. 2) The sound of cars (In Lair of The Shadow Broker) kept continuing after i crashed the detective, and fought her guards. So, besides the RPG elements and rare glitches, this is a very, very good game. With the captivating story line, and stunning graphics, i only wonder how they will beat this with ME3 (It IS a trilogy, and ME3 WILL come out, in-case some of you did not know). The only thing they could've done better, was tone up the RPG element, which i believe they will do in ME3. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking about getting it. Expand
  15. Oct 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are too many good things in this game to list them all, which is fitting since the question isn't "What is good about this game". The question is "What ISN'T good about this game", and the most i can come up with (after playing it many times) is the mining mini game. This is the only part of the game that is seriously lack luster. The last boss was also a slightly disappointing climax, and an illogical overall "evil scheme" made by the bad guys in ME2.

That said, there are flaws in all games, however compared to the first mass effect (and many other RPGs), Mass Effect 2 is the closest I've seen to a perfect game in the recent decade ever since the first xbox and the N64 was put out of commission.

Overall, it is an excellent game and a testament to the fact that Bioware remains on the cutting edge of western RPGs, and further solidifies themselves as a world renown game developer
  16. Nov 21, 2010
    A really excellent game. The story is very good, and the outcome of the game can vary dramatically depending on your actions, which I find to be a big plus. The characters are very interesting and fun to interact with. The connection with the previous game and promise of more to come in the sequel feel like a real plus, as opposed to just a marketing gimmick. There are a few very minorA really excellent game. The story is very good, and the outcome of the game can vary dramatically depending on your actions, which I find to be a big plus. The characters are very interesting and fun to interact with. The connection with the previous game and promise of more to come in the sequel feel like a real plus, as opposed to just a marketing gimmick. There are a few very minor things that bugged me and keep my rating at a 9 instead of 10, but I still think this game is well worth buying for anyone who enjoys RPGs at all. Expand
  17. Nov 26, 2010
    One of the best games I've ever played, right up there with Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 4. I don't generally like 3rd person shooters, but Bioware did a great job on it. Game play is very engrossing and story line is quite good (though not the best).
  18. Mar 13, 2011
    Very fun game. Deserved GOTY on IGN.

Good: Loved the first one, second one's storyline was epic too. Soundtrack epic. Voice acting epic. Beautiful worlds. Graphics were decent. Problems: mining is bad. not enough RPG elements. AI squadmates are slightly annoying.
  19. Mar 25, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 improves on many areas of its predecessor, which is no mean feat. The majority of the storyline is enjoyable and continues on from where Mass Effect left off, but it starts off poorly and in an almost unnecessary way. However, the path the story takes; spending 90% of the game recruiting your team is a disappointing way to spend your time. The core storyline missions howeverMass Effect 2 improves on many areas of its predecessor, which is no mean feat. The majority of the storyline is enjoyable and continues on from where Mass Effect left off, but it starts off poorly and in an almost unnecessary way. However, the path the story takes; spending 90% of the game recruiting your team is a disappointing way to spend your time. The core storyline missions however are fun and challenging. It was great to see that Bioware have learnt from some of the mistakes they made in Mass Effect 1; mostly the boring and repetitive Mako missions and extremely repetitive side quests where you enter the same bunker 100â Expand
  20. Apr 9, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 has a good if not the best story in a game i have ever seen and there for the story is also the main selling point. The gameplay is not Super but it is ok. I would give it 9,5 if i could. But now its 10. Its my favorite game.
  21. Apr 14, 2011
    I have spend above a 100 hours in mass effect 2, so you might as well ask yourself why I dont give this game a perfect 10. Its quite simply really, there are some small flaws. I will try to explain them, but know the game is really an extremely well designed experience. With that said; I find there are two flaws in this game. First, the number of comrades you pick up in the game is toI have spend above a 100 hours in mass effect 2, so you might as well ask yourself why I dont give this game a perfect 10. Its quite simply really, there are some small flaws. I will try to explain them, but know the game is really an extremely well designed experience. With that said; I find there are two flaws in this game. First, the number of comrades you pick up in the game is to large. Now, you might ask why this could possibly be a problem. This is quite simple, all of them have a "loyalty quest" - and with so many comrades all the sidequests feel a disconnected to the main plot. Add to this that with so many comrades, you never get a special feeling for any of the comrades - like you did in the first mass effect where you had a more limited number of them. Its a shame really.

The second flaw, is the whole weapon system. This problem is more compounded by several smaller issues. First off is the "new and improved" ammo system, which blows to be honest. The first game had a heatcooldown system, which was actually fine. Now you have what they call "heat clips" that are universal, yet you cant shift them between the your weapons - this is just plain odd. besides the weapon selection is dumbed down to much. You have a severely limited amount of weapontypes to choose from, and the way you upgrade and find them feel.... well to be honest, mildly retarded. But even though the games have these flaws, I will still rate it a 9 for the solid script, plot and surperb gameplay.

Score (9.0)
  22. May 11, 2011
    The most re playable out of any game I have ever owned, far too much fun I cant wait for the third installment. I do hope that they add more RPG element to 3 like more customizable weapons (like in ME1) and armor. And maybe even more powers for biotics. either way I'm looking forward to ME3
  23. Mar 17, 2012
    This game is simply "Michal Bay" style production. You could call the game... limited. I do. But I still can appreciate that the way story is told is really amazing. And I mean REALLY. It is worth playing just for seeing it, feeling the loud sound while watching incredible camera doing. Even when I prefer game to be "a game", ME2 still has it's place. And I would recommend it for anyoneThis game is simply "Michal Bay" style production. You could call the game... limited. I do. But I still can appreciate that the way story is told is really amazing. And I mean REALLY. It is worth playing just for seeing it, feeling the loud sound while watching incredible camera doing. Even when I prefer game to be "a game", ME2 still has it's place. And I would recommend it for anyone who hesitated playing this because "it is bad game" comments but still can feel something special watching trailers like Skyrim's or DXHR's over and over :) You will love ME2 in the same way :) Expand
  24. Jan 10, 2014
    Mass Effect trilogy has been One of most polished Storytelling Action Graphics and Gameplay combined in one. Apart from the Final Ending Controversy in Mass Effect 3 This is one of the most played and loved RPGs adventures to date. I would have to say if new to series than Please Play in Sequence. Mass Effect 2 is probably the best of series. A game which will make you finish that next bitMass Effect trilogy has been One of most polished Storytelling Action Graphics and Gameplay combined in one. Apart from the Final Ending Controversy in Mass Effect 3 This is one of the most played and loved RPGs adventures to date. I would have to say if new to series than Please Play in Sequence. Mass Effect 2 is probably the best of series. A game which will make you finish that next bit of story everytime Expand
  25. Feb 19, 2012
    This game is well written, has a good variety of options and while I can agree it did get simplified slightly from the first one, I can't say those are bad things. This game was very enjoyable in all facets - story, amazing music, game play, leveling, everything is interesting and fun. They did a great job with the game and the only thing keeping me from giving it a 10 is that parts ofThis game is well written, has a good variety of options and while I can agree it did get simplified slightly from the first one, I can't say those are bad things. This game was very enjoyable in all facets - story, amazing music, game play, leveling, everything is interesting and fun. They did a great job with the game and the only thing keeping me from giving it a 10 is that parts of it felt a little rushed, it was mildly buggy at times, and it was abused with some rather stupid DLC .. weapons/armor packs anyone? That's EA at work, though, not Bioware. God, I hate EA so much. Everything they touch is tainted with bad, greedy marketing and the taint of stockholders who care more about profits this year than long term. Expand
  26. Aug 25, 2012
    Let's start with the good points of the game. The combat has been vastly improved and is now way better. The characters are great, they're all unique and have a good backstory to them. The story is... ok for the most part, a bit stupid and nonsensical here and there but it's nothing big. Now for the bad: exploration is completely gone. Instead of improving it like they did with the combatLet's start with the good points of the game. The combat has been vastly improved and is now way better. The characters are great, they're all unique and have a good backstory to them. The story is... ok for the most part, a bit stupid and nonsensical here and there but it's nothing big. Now for the bad: exploration is completely gone. Instead of improving it like they did with the combat they just removed it completely. The replacement for it, the mining game, is not any better. The galaxy seems smaller now but the multitude of hub worlds sort of fills in the gap left by it. They also removed the inventory system (which was very bad in ME1) and replaced it with an upgrade system. It's good but it still would've been better to have an inventory. Conclusion: Small problems here and there but the good parts outweigh them. 9/10 Expand
  27. Jul 31, 2012
    A true Sci-Fi game. With amazing visuals, music, writng, voice acting, and gameplay, a diverse cast of characters, a dark and mysterious plot. You can feel actual pressure for your decisions. Option of importing a character from ME1 is amazing.
  28. Jul 24, 2012
    This was the first Mass Effect game that I played, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like most Bioware RPGs, it featured above-average writing and character development. Throughout the game I felt invested in the story and the characters, who I grew to care about and (eventually) mourn their deaths. The gameplay in general was fun and the environments were interesting. My main complaint is thatThis was the first Mass Effect game that I played, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like most Bioware RPGs, it featured above-average writing and character development. Throughout the game I felt invested in the story and the characters, who I grew to care about and (eventually) mourn their deaths. The gameplay in general was fun and the environments were interesting. My main complaint is that there is little you can do to customize your characters: your main character can wear different armor pieces which are slightly different, and along the way you collect weapon upgrades which are automatic. The only real customization is in your talent points, but there are few of these and they do not generally affect gameplay as much as you might expect. I ended up taking these limitations with a grain of salt and just enjoyed blasting things instead, but I could see this being a significant setback for some players. Expand
  29. Jul 27, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 should be the game that sets the bar for all other games, from its amazing combat system to its interesting paragon/renegade effects i couldn't bring myself to stop playing it. Perhaps one of the greatest features of this game is that every shepard is different, not just aesthetically but in the advancements, weapons and classes. I spent close to 36 hours playing this gameMass Effect 2 should be the game that sets the bar for all other games, from its amazing combat system to its interesting paragon/renegade effects i couldn't bring myself to stop playing it. Perhaps one of the greatest features of this game is that every shepard is different, not just aesthetically but in the advancements, weapons and classes. I spent close to 36 hours playing this game with all the DLC and enjoyed every second of building up a squad and slowly playing through their loyalty missions in order to leave no one behind at the final mission. My only criticism is that it is it is less open world then it should be as after all you are given a galaxy to explore and yet can only walk around on a small number of them and 3/4 have no purpose other than mineral gathering. But overall the style of this game has one me over 9/10. Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is a modern day RPG masterpiece. From the story to the music, everything is pretty much near perfect. This is a must play for any RPG fan. ME2's development started right after EA acquired Bioware, but had a mostly hands off approach to the game.

ME1's main flaw was it's battle system. It was lackluster and needed improvement. Bioware decided to take the risk and incorporate a "real" FPS system in ME2. Well, that risk payed off bigtime in one of the best blockbuster RPG's of our time.

Other traditional RPG elements such as inventory management are eliminated helping to streamline your experiences. And you know what? It works, it fits. It helps you focus on more important, and more enjoyable things in the game. Having a simple upgrade system works much better.

ME2 takes the game to all new levels. A deeper, more interesting battle system. The character interactions are excellent. The development, the actions you take, the choices you make really do affect the outcome of this story.

As in Classic Star Wars fashion, the second movie raises the stakes even higher, is darker and more serious than ever. The real possibility of your teammates dying in the final, suicide mission was a brilliant move by Bioware. The game climaxes at the best point the end where you see all your work, all of your choices unfold, leaving some to the next and final part of the trilogy. The raise in tension is felt throughout the game, and drives the player forward.

The soundtrack is excellent and accurately reflects such high stakes.

ME2 really surpassed the bar for RPG's. It had me glued to the game. When I am glued to a game playing it every day from start to finish, I know its a hit.

Its just such a shame that it's sequel, ME3 was unfortunately a lackluster, rushed finish and a real letdown. Obviously, EA had involved themselves in the final game, which really screwed up ME3.

Most gamers will recognize ME2 as the real climax of the series and the best out of the 3.

31. Jun 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game. A game where choices actually matter, and the galaxy is epic and brilliant. This game is only held back by its lack of true side/optional missions, boring scanning for minerals, and an ending that really doesnt matter what your choices were, all you have to do is follow a flow chart Expand
  32. Feb 5, 2014
    a clear improvement over the original. improved graphics and gameplay, along with an even better story than the first. your character personality can be changed once again based on your actions. the ending is influenced by how loyal your squad members are to you which happens during loyalty missions, and in some cases, dialogue choices. the gameplay itself has been greatly improved and nowa clear improvement over the original. improved graphics and gameplay, along with an even better story than the first. your character personality can be changed once again based on your actions. the ending is influenced by how loyal your squad members are to you which happens during loyalty missions, and in some cases, dialogue choices. the gameplay itself has been greatly improved and now has special actions that take place during some cutscenes, somewhat like qte's. left clicking is a renegade action, and right clicking is a paragon action. there's a larger variety of guns and powers now, although no gun mods which is a little disappointing. the voice acting has improved a bit, and the characters are more interesting now, which is also nice. the only problems are that there are still glitches, mainly getting stuck on pieces of scenery and having to wait to die or restarting the mission or last save. Expand
  33. Sep 24, 2013
    Interesante y adictivo. Mejora mucho la historia con respecto a su predecesor, y ofrece otra perspectiva del universo Mass Effect. Es cierto que pierde elementos de rol (algo de lo que muchos se han quejado), pero no le doy importancia porque nunca consideré a esta saga "de rol". El primer Mass Effect ya me pareció más un "shooter" que otra cosa y este es una evolución un tanto lógica delInteresante y adictivo. Mejora mucho la historia con respecto a su predecesor, y ofrece otra perspectiva del universo Mass Effect. Es cierto que pierde elementos de rol (algo de lo que muchos se han quejado), pero no le doy importancia porque nunca consideré a esta saga "de rol". El primer Mass Effect ya me pareció más un "shooter" que otra cosa y este es una evolución un tanto lógica del estilo creado con el primer título. Expand
  34. Oct 21, 2013
    The abundant choices and seeing them impact and unfold as you play the game makes the choices seem meaningful. The combat, however is standard, wonderful game overall.
  35. Oct 27, 2013
    A gem of a game, engaging story with fun, sometimes tricky combat situations and also a surprisingly re-playable game where actions, sometimes silly and insignificant have followed you through the story [more game if you kept a save game from the first game]. Love it, Thank you Bioware.

Gab
    LoyalistN7
  36. Apr 12, 2014
    I love this game. I love it so much, you can sink in it's own world so easily, the world of ME2 feels so alive, everyone reacts to the things you do, it's a feeling of a world being alive I had in Fallout 3 the last time, and it's (besides Bully which is an amazing game too) the only game I had such a feeling in. (Wow, this sounds kinda stoned.) I can JUST recommend it. It may be that II love this game. I love it so much, you can sink in it's own world so easily, the world of ME2 feels so alive, everyone reacts to the things you do, it's a feeling of a world being alive I had in Fallout 3 the last time, and it's (besides Bully which is an amazing game too) the only game I had such a feeling in. (Wow, this sounds kinda stoned.) I can JUST recommend it. It may be that I like the game so much, just because I didn't expect much, to be honest, when I bought it I didn't even wanna install it. Then I watched like 2 Reviews of it and started playing it. But still, you should really get it.

I REALLY don't know how anyone could give this game anything under 80.
  37. Nov 7, 2013
    Without a doubt the best series i've ever come to play! So much replay value! Its insane and I can't describe it enough. THIS IS A MUST BUY AND PLAY EXPERIENCE. Trust me on this!

Pros:
    Just... wow (useless pros. I know :v)
    Story and characters are so well done!

Cons:
    Combat can get a little linear
    No coop
  38. Dec 20, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is definitely the best game in the series. Its story is overwhelming, the game-play fluid, and just the entire setup and everything, it's beautiful. The character development is extraordinary and seeing some old faces from Mass Effect 1 again was especially nice, though the new faces among the crew are also pretty fantastic. Each of them has their own story, the level ofMass Effect 2 is definitely the best game in the series. Its story is overwhelming, the game-play fluid, and just the entire setup and everything, it's beautiful. The character development is extraordinary and seeing some old faces from Mass Effect 1 again was especially nice, though the new faces among the crew are also pretty fantastic. Each of them has their own story, the level of interaction possible is great (except for 'I'm in the middle of some calibrations', ugh). The different classes have improved, just like many other things. The game offers plenty of side missions, which all add flavour to the already fantastic main storyline. Also: Garrus. Need I say more? Expand
  39. Jan 2, 2014
    Mass Effect 2 has its problems, because it was developed mainly for consoles, which brought many disadvantages with it (linear levels, bad controls, horrible menus, removal of RPG elements) and PC players were left behind a bit.
    It's still Mass Effect at the core though and the story and characters are so fantastic that it easily makes up for that. As in the first game, the story is great. I think the secret of the Mass Effect series is mainly in the writing, because the dialogues just feel more believable than in other games and they nailed it again in ME2. Of course it helps that graphics, music and gameplay (with the above mentioned exceptions) are all outstanding.
  40. Feb 24, 2014
    I've always loved Mass Effect 1 when it was first out on 360, i just loved, the storytelling,combat everything and i just thought Mass Effect 2 (before it cam out) was just the same as Mass Effect 1, like it cant be improved, (BETTER), but Mass Effect 2 came out and i played it and it blew me away it was better, but still like mass effect 1 and always will, but mass effect 2 just blew meI've always loved Mass Effect 1 when it was first out on 360, i just loved, the storytelling,combat everything and i just thought Mass Effect 2 (before it cam out) was just the same as Mass Effect 1, like it cant be improved, (BETTER), but Mass Effect 2 came out and i played it and it blew me away it was better, but still like mass effect 1 and always will, but mass effect 2 just blew me away it was mind blowing full of awesomeness, great game YOU HAVE TO BUY IT!!!!!! Expand
  41. Apr 1, 2014
    Loooooved the story,emotion is this game fuel.You feel responsable for every word,act,charachter and universe.Great job.My top 10 of all times is here.
  42. Dec 18, 2014
    "An Epic Sci-fi Space Adventure"
    -------------------------------------------
    Mass Effect 2 is simply the Pinnacle of role play games. It is the most satisfying game up to date, the game surpasses all the expectations. It builds it's own unique sci fi universe with a incredible story and a superb and unforgettable cast of characters Mass Effect 2 is simply THE BEST game of all time.
    "An Epic Sci-fi Space Adventure"
    -------------------------------------------

- Zaeed Lacks Character Development
    - Too Short

/SCORE: 4.3
    Kasumi Stolen Memory DLC
    --------------------------------------------------------- + Kasumi's Story + Bekenstein Looks Great - Kasumi Feels Uninteresting - Bit Overpriced /SCORE: 6.7 --------------------------------------------------------- Worthwhile Downloadable Packs --------------------------------------------------------- + Normandy Crash Site + Arc Projector + Alternate Appearance Pack 1 + Equalizer Pack + Mass Effect: Genesis + Alternate Appearance Pack 2 + Firepower Pack - Cerberus Weapon And Armor - Firewalker Pack - Aegis Pack --------------------------------------------------------- Overlord DLC --------------------------------------------------------- + Hammerhead Is Better Than Mako + Gorgeous Visuals + Great Wildlife + Deep Ending + Engaging Music - Not Much Dialogue /SCORE: 9.3 --------------------------------------------------------- Lair Of The Shadow Broker DLC --------------------------------------------------------- + Planet Hagalaz Is Stunning + Humorous Writing + One Impressive Car Chase + Top Notch Action + Choices Carry Over To ME3 - Pretty Short /SCORE: 9.8 --------------------------------------------------------- Arrival DLC --------------------------------------------------------- + Important Plot + Choices Has Consequences In ME3 + Engaging Combat + Lengthy But For A Low Price + Creates Tension + The Final Confrontation - Squad Members Aren't Allowed - Lacking Dialogue /SCORE: 9.8 ======GAMESCORE: 10.0 - "PINNACLE"======
  43. Jul 4, 2014
    ITS MORE THAN A GAME........this is my first MASS EFFECT game,i have'nt played the previous part..Usually i love playing 3rd person shooter games but not found of playing science-fiction games... But i really loved this game..good graphics as its a 2010 game,also gameplay,storyline are all excellent...the characters are also great including commander shepard and miranda is damm hot andITS MORE THAN A GAME........this is my first MASS EFFECT game,i have'nt played the previous part..Usually i love playing 3rd person shooter games but not found of playing science-fiction games... But i really loved this game..good graphics as its a 2010 game,also gameplay,storyline are all excellent...the characters are also great including commander shepard and miranda is damm hot and sexyy ;)... now i playing mass effect 2 and will play mass effect 3 for sure...i became a big fan of MASS EFFECT :) Expand
  44. Nov 21, 2011
    This game is a triumph. I kid you not, I've played through eight different times, continuing saves from Mass Effect and once starting from scratch on ME2. The story and gameplay are amazing. It's incredibly rewarding to see that your choices matter. The soundtrack is as epic as any Sci-fi adventure. This game is perfect.
  45. Apr 13, 2011

46. Nov 20, 2012
    This is probably my favorite game of all time (fighting for the top spot with Deus Ex). The world's are fascinating, wandering around them is like exploring a real life community. ME1 was also a phenomenal game (also in my top three or four games of all time), but this one improves upon it's graphics and continues the same amazing quality of writing and character development. It's really aThis is probably my favorite game of all time (fighting for the top spot with Deus Ex). The world's are fascinating, wandering around them is like exploring a real life community. ME1 was also a phenomenal game (also in my top three or four games of all time), but this one improves upon it's graphics and continues the same amazing quality of writing and character development. It's really a must play. The only problem is I really want to play a game I enjoyed as much as this one again, but just can't find one (ME3 just didn't cut it). Expand
  47. Jul 6, 2012
    The continuation of amazing Mass Effect 1. The scenario and variety of options are still great. The graphics have been hugely improved. All the characters and the world is really beautiful. Besides, you can still choose how to end the game, whether die or to end like a hero and save the world. You can choose whether to be cruel boss or a great leader, whether to be friendly of flirty...The continuation of amazing Mass Effect 1. The scenario and variety of options are still great. The graphics have been hugely improved. All the characters and the world is really beautiful. Besides, you can still choose how to end the game, whether die or to end like a hero and save the world. You can choose whether to be cruel boss or a great leader, whether to be friendly of flirty... This is the best RPG I have ever played. 100% recommend to buy it !!! Expand
  48. Mar 21, 2011
    ME2 was a huge improvement over its predecessor. Not only did they remove many of the irritating tidbits that bogged players down in the level-up and equipment screens for hours, but they also improved gameplay drastically. The result is a well-made, fun game that easily makes the top of my list of games in 2010.
  49. Mar 28, 2012
    I am a big fan of Mass Effect who loved the first game, and this one is even better. Hopping around the galaxy, walking through the Citadel, and talking to your squad on the Normandy is as cozy as it always were: you snuggle up with blankets, listen to the same lovely music as in Mass Effect 1, and just let yourself be enveloped by the game and by the world. There is no more driving theI am a big fan of Mass Effect who loved the first game, and this one is even better. Hopping around the galaxy, walking through the Citadel, and talking to your squad on the Normandy is as cozy as it always were: you snuggle up with blankets, listen to the same lovely music as in Mass Effect 1, and just let yourself be enveloped by the game and by the world. There is no more driving the infamous Mako, a major drag in Mass Effect 1.

Combat is as much fun as in Mass Effect 1 â
  50. Aug 14, 2011
    The game is very good and better than i expected. The pros: The game is very long especially compared to most games today although the actual main story alone is not very long, the graphics are excellent, good game play that combines 3rd person shooting with class powers that add a tactical element as well as simply making it more fun, there are some great RPG elements, the main being howThe game is very good and better than i expected. The pros: The game is very long especially compared to most games today although the actual main story alone is not very long, the graphics are excellent, good game play that combines 3rd person shooting with class powers that add a tactical element as well as simply making it more fun, there are some great RPG elements, the main being how you want to act and react as well as allow one to customize ones character very well, excellent story with believable, varied characters and world that keeps ones interest, excellent sound, music and especially voice acting.Neutral points that can be improved upon: the hacking and bypassing mini-games are fine but they are too simple and become tedious relatively fast, scanning planets for resources is okay at first but becomes boring quite quickly Cons: Short main story, feels repetitive at times, although the game allows one to customize ones character very well there are not many different weapons or armour available, the game does a good job of creating an illusion that it is a big game but in actual fact it is not. There are only four landable locations, the rest of the locations one only goes there once for a mission. Overall a excellent game that i enjoyed very much although there are a few things that can make it even better.Mass effect 3 just needs to build on the rpg elements and have a bit more variety as well as be a bigger game to surpass it's predecessor, lets hope it does .9/10 Expand
  51. Jan 31, 2012
    Developer's decisions are weird sometimes. Replacing simple weapons stats with a description box... yyyy... haven't they read any design book? How does a pile of text make up for some easy and graphically-presented stats?! Than they replaced a good, interesting story-line with a simple gather-a-team-and-finish-them-all thing. In result the only two thing that I've remembered from thisDeveloper's decisions are weird sometimes. Replacing simple weapons stats with a description box... yyyy... haven't they read any design book? How does a pile of text make up for some easy and graphically-presented stats?! Than they replaced a good, interesting story-line with a simple gather-a-team-and-finish-them-all thing. In result the only two thing that I've remembered from this episode is that I've died at the beginning (nice one Bioware!) and then picking up some members of my team only to make some wrong decisions at the end and almost killed them then... xD The game is very good and I had a lot of fun but I don't agree with some decisions made there.

Overall:
    ------------
    Graphics 10/10

Audio 9.5/10 (hate the death sound)

Gameplay 9/10 (getting companions -> finishing the game)
  52. Nov 11, 2011
    Amazing. I can't say enough about it. It's very possibly the best game I've ever played in nearly 15 years of gaming. HIGHLY recommended. Be sure to play the original first, as it makes the experience that much more immersive.
  53. Nov 13, 2011
    I was waiting for a game to finish updating so to kill time I started up mass effect 2. I spent my ENTIRE weekend playing mass effect and it really shows how in depth the gameplay is and why it has such a good metacritic rating. i was so happy when i finished the suicide mission casualty free on sunday at 5 o'clock
  54. Mar 22, 2012
    Took away 2 points because it's hard to transition from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. A lot of the customization has been stripped away, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (no more having to sell/gel items every 5 minutes because of the item limit) but some players enjoy the incremental upgrades in games. The other thing is the sudden change in controls. What used to be run is nowTook away 2 points because it's hard to transition from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. A lot of the customization has been stripped away, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (no more having to sell/gel items every 5 minutes because of the item limit) but some players enjoy the incremental upgrades in games. The other thing is the sudden change in controls. What used to be run is now pause. What used to be pause is now run. What used to be interact is now order squad mate, and the new run key is also the new interact key. So if you're coming straight from ME1 be prepared to get frustrated while you get used to the new controls. Besides those 2 things the game is great and a huge improvement over (the already great) mass effect 1. And the way it carries over decisions made in the previous game adds a whole new layer of immersion and replayability. Expand
  55. Jan 13, 2011
    Although completely abandoning the RPG genre, this game is a epic experience which I enjoyed until the very last moment.

Reaper menace is the most fearsome I have seen on many years, feeling a true sense of urgency many times.

I feel the new allies are a bit depressing. Most of them are too though and a little of naivety would have been welcomed.
  56. Nov 16, 2012
    In my opinion this is the best installment of the series. We are introduced to some of the best character in the series ■Grunt ■Jack ■Jacob Taylor ■Kasumi Goto
    ■Legion ■Miranda Lawson ■Mordin Solus ■Samara or Morinth ■Tali'Zorah vas Neema / Normandy
    ■Thane Krios ■Zaeed Massani And the old friends also returned. I loved
    ■Thane Krios ■Zaeed Massani
    And the old friends also returned. I loved the dark and grim atmosphere of the game. The collectors were very interesting villains. The pace of the game and the story were perfect. The graphics were improved. For the first time the player could explore the galaxy, which was a great addition. Weapon and armor customization was introduced. Player decisions really changed the outcome of the ending. I can only recommend the game. Don't forget to import your save files from ME1!
  57. Mar 7, 2011
    If you are a fun of mass effect universe then it is an absolute buy.Less rpg then the first one but the story is a masterpiece!It also has a lot of dlc out that gives a great value.
  58. Aug 23, 2011
    A true Sci-Fi epic and the best game I have played. With top notch visuals, music, writng, voice acting, and gameplay, a diverse cast of characters, a dark and mysterious plot, this is the current high bar. Plus, it remembers everything you did in the previous game.
  59. Mar 29, 2011
    I enjoyed this game a lot, but agree with other critics that they took away a very fun element, which was the RPG element, probably a bit less micromanagement was the way to go, not completely removing it.

I also found it a bit short, kinda disappointed that i have to pay to get any more extra content that should have been included as side quests for the money i payed...
  60. Jun 9, 2012
    To be simple, "Mass Effect 2" is a astounding game that fixes the problems "Mass Effect" had and even surpasses them with superiority. The gameplay is more of the same thing like "ME" but it's still awfully fun. Graphics and the player screen has drastically improved as well as the money system. Yes, in "ME2" weapons and armor aren't overpriced as they were in "ME". Overall a powerfulTo be simple, "Mass Effect 2" is a astounding game that fixes the problems "Mass Effect" had and even surpasses them with superiority. The gameplay is more of the same thing like "ME" but it's still awfully fun. Graphics and the player screen has drastically improved as well as the money system. Yes, in "ME2" weapons and armor aren't overpriced as they were in "ME". Overall a powerful space opera SF role playing game, a game you WILL play. Expand
  61. Nov 17, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a continuation of the military sci-fi Mass Effect saga developed by the now-legendary Bioware. Mass Effect 2 does a masterful job of recreating and improving on the sci-fi atmosphere and themes of the original, and brings with it further development of one of the best storylines of the decade. The gameplay, graphics, and soundtrack are all improved.

The soundtrack, while

The soundtrack, while it has lost much of the familiar 80's vibes associated with the original game, is nonetheless phenomenal, and will not disappoint. I liked the new soundtrack so much I ended up buying it as well.

Perhaps the greatest improvement in Mass Effect 2 was how quickly the game got moving. In the original Mass Effect, masterpiece though it was, I often felt like I was beginning the undertaking of reading a nice book. Despite being a terrific experience on the whole, it had a slow start, and didn't become particularly interesting until after you had played for a couple hours to allow the story to develop more and get through the earlier "groundwork stages" of the game.

In contrast, Mass Effect 2 has vastly improved in this area, and took my breath away almost as soon as I started playing. The improvements in the combat system, character cast, and riveting story kept me coming back for more and more! This was also likely due to the fact that the sequel builds on the groundwork put in place by the original game of the series. Overall, Mass Effect 2 is essentially flawless. All the familiar elements of the perfect game are here. The thought-provoking story is there. The graphics are good, and complement the setting and themes of the game nicely. The gameplay has improved, both in terms of dialog options, and in terms of pure combat-enjoyment. Don't miss out on the number one military sci-fi epic of our decade!
  62. Dec 16, 2011
    highly polished in every aspect and far superior to its predecessor, mass effect 2 is perhaps my favorite game of all time, with intense action, beautiful graphics and art design, large amount of replay value and memorable story/characters
  63. May 22, 2012
    I really love this game. It seems that people who think ME 1 was better are suffering from nostalgia, because I played both in order within a week of eachother, and ME II is by far superior. P.S, I'm a Talimancer. Tali FTW!
  64. ChrisB.
    Jan 27, 2010
    This game is simply stunning, heart pounding epic game. I cant put it down and i have finals. EVerything from combat to atmosphere is perfect. Only thing they could have improved on is more armor and weapons otherwise... its insanely good
  65. GuanEro
    Jan 28, 2010
    This game is not perfect, yet I'm rating it a 9 because I'm comparing it to other Single player RPGS out there. A 9.4 in my personal Opinion. I'll make a short description about separated assets I could think of an rate them each individually. Graphics - 9: The game contains Superb graphics ME1 had problems with some textures and details. It has been fixed and optimized This game is not perfect, yet I'm rating it a 9 because I'm comparing it to other Single player RPGS out there. A 9.4 in my personal Opinion. I'll make a short description about separated assets I could think of an rate them each individually. Graphics - 9: The game contains Superb graphics ME1 had problems with some textures and details. It has been fixed and optimized here, everything is eye candy in ME2. Sound - 10: Original sounds and superb quality give a merging gameplay experience. Music - 10: Music is amazing, creative, modern, original, it is well placed according to the enviroment, it's a major success. Cinematics - 10 and dialogs -8 : Cinematics are top quality, but when it comes to dialog it can be predictive and repetitive at times, when two people speak at the same time the second dialog overcomes the first, this happens when moving, mostly. Story - 9: Yes the story is the typical "save the galaxy" story, they tried to make it darker but they fail at times, they did add some harder desitions to take. What's good about the storyline is yes, that you play it, and how it starts developing while you're playing, depending on your choices and achievements. Characters - 8: There are some intriguing characters, but there are also unoriginal ones, I don't want to spoil any details here, characters are just not for all the tastes, but there are ways to go over the characters you don't like, one wishes that with all the split personalities they'd at least fight differently in combat but a biotic is a biotic and a soldier is a soldier. Gameplay - 7: We come to the downside of the game, gameplay is repetitive and boring, but very much improved from the first ME, shooting body parts count, you make more damage if you shoot to the head or slow down enemies when you shoot their legs, you also use a magazine system instead of the overheating one in ME1, effects are better and weapon - armour management is slightly different. The bad thing is action remains the same in poorly designed FIGHTING environments. This said Mass Effect 2 is a superb game I'd definitely advice you to get if you have the oportunity, and if you like cinematic experiences, the gameplay is a bit sloppy, but the feeling of progressing through a story and being part of it makes it up for it, at least if you love RPGs. It's an adventure. Expand
  66. JustinW.
    Jan 28, 2010
    If you liked the first Mass Effect then... well I don't h ave to tell you anything, bc you've already purchased this game. If you've never played the original and you want to know if you can pick up ME2 and still enjoy it; I will say yes you will. Sure there is a lot of back story and you are definitely picking up in the middle of a trilogy, but I think they adequately If you liked the first Mass Effect then... well I don't h ave to tell you anything, bc you've already purchased this game. If you've never played the original and you want to know if you can pick up ME2 and still enjoy it; I will say yes you will. Sure there is a lot of back story and you are definitely picking up in the middle of a trilogy, but I think they adequately explain key elements if you just take the time to ask during dialog. My only grief is the new planet scanning mini game. For upgrades to your equipment you have to gain materials. Those materials are acquired through a tedious process of running your mouse over entire planets and launching a limited number of probes at spots that have high concentrations of materials. This is a slow, tedious, and has you running across the galaxy constantly for more probes. But that is only a minor gripe. Get this game or you will regret it! Expand
  67. ScottE.
    Jan 29, 2010
    Amazing game but the game is very short i beat all content in about 19 hours was very disappointed in the length but besides that i enjoyed it a lot.
  68. HowieG
    Jan 29, 2010
    Not bad at all. Unfortunately there are many things missing in Mass Effect 2 that were already present in Mass Effect 1 that I find myself wishing for. Especially in the fight sequences. ME2 has a clunky feel kinda like trying to play a FPS console game. The story is great and most of the voice acting is top notch though so at the end of the day I felt like I had read a great book. If you Not bad at all. Unfortunately there are many things missing in Mass Effect 2 that were already present in Mass Effect 1 that I find myself wishing for. Especially in the fight sequences. ME2 has a clunky feel kinda like trying to play a FPS console game. The story is great and most of the voice acting is top notch though so at the end of the day I felt like I had read a great book. If you can look past the wanna-be console style action you'll find it's a good game with a great story that is presented very well. I really liked it. Expand
  69. DanielH.
    Jan 31, 2010
    This game is overall very good, it has an intriguing storyline, a wonderful atmosphere and deep, interesting characters. I found that many of the loyalty mission had an emotional connection, especially Tali'Zorah's, and for players to feel an emotional bond, a deep relationship to a game character is an achievement not easily earned by the game developers. The only thing I found This game is overall very good, it has an intriguing storyline, a wonderful atmosphere and deep, interesting characters. I found that many of the loyalty mission had an emotional connection, especially Tali'Zorah's, and for players to feel an emotional bond, a deep relationship to a game character is an achievement not easily earned by the game developers. The only thing I found a bit disappointing was the few choices for same-sex romances. I personally had wanted for a long time to pursue a romance with Tali with my female Shepard, but I found myself required to start over with a male Shepard in order to make that happen. Expand
  70. KenN.
    Feb 19, 2010
    The game's graphic and interface are definitely up-a-notch from the prequel. A lot of game play mechanics work well. The introduction of thermal clips was good. It forces the player to use multiple weapons and conserve ammo. So it's not as easy as the last game. The hacking mini-games are fun to do and easy to comprehend. The scanning is kinda forcing the game to a low pace: a The game's graphic and interface are definitely up-a-notch from the prequel. A lot of game play mechanics work well. The introduction of thermal clips was good. It forces the player to use multiple weapons and conserve ammo. So it's not as easy as the last game. The hacking mini-games are fun to do and easy to comprehend. The scanning is kinda forcing the game to a low pace: a down side. The physical change b/w paragon and renegade is shown. The plot is terrific, lots of quest and sidequests if you look for it. Quite a lot of bugs and glitches, I encounter a bug when I went to cover and was stuck on top of the wall. Had to restart, lame. Then there are bunch of glitches that occasionally appear, but not too often. Wish we could skip cutscenes that we already watched so we can start another game easier. New Game+ is fun. All in all, a good game besides some glitches and slow pace moments. Can't w8 for ME3 :) Expand
  71. Jan 4, 2011
    The Good: The difference between a plot and a story is that the plot is what happens, and the story is what the book/movie/video game is about. The plot of ME2 is incredibly awesome. It's epic, fast-paced, and quite original. The story, not so much, but I'll get to that later. The voice acting overall is quite good. The gameplay mechanics are solid and responsive. The bots areThe Good: The difference between a plot and a story is that the plot is what happens, and the story is what the book/movie/video game is about. The plot of ME2 is incredibly awesome. It's epic, fast-paced, and quite original. The story, not so much, but I'll get to that later. The voice acting overall is quite good. The gameplay mechanics are solid and responsive. The bots are average, though I have yet to see good video game AI in any game. The side quests are immersive and entertaining. The characters are relatable and your relationships with them are believable. You don't have to micromanage your squad's weapons, armor, and mods anymore (thank God) and this makes the game much more streamlined, even if it's more of an FPS as a result.

The Bad: The story seems too short and it's like Bioware stuck in the loyalty missions just to add length to the game. That's not to say that these missions aren't rewarding or entertaining; in fact they're better than some of the plot missions. The final battle is disappointingly easy when compared to the final battle in ME1 and it was actually harder to get to the room where it takes place than to actually win the fight. I also did not like how they took out the driving portions of the game. Now, I know most people hated driving that car in ME1, but I liked it, and it was certainly better than just scanning the planet for the resources you need.

The Ugly: (DISCLAIMER: Some of these issues may have been due to the fact that my computer is slightly underpowered and not due to the actual game.) Blinking still looks freakin weird with eyelids and eye lashes overlapping and showing through each other and just being a bit disturbing. Occasionally, if I was walking too close to a wall that had kind of a slope, I'd get stuck on it and wouldn't be able to move. Facial expressions look odd and slightly robotic, but the voice acting makes up for it so I'm good. Sometimes during a cut scene the camera would go inside Shepard or some other character and obstruct my view until the camera moved a little. Very rarely (like once or twice) the game would lock up for 30 to 45 seconds inside the Normandy, but then it kept moving and everything was fine.

Overall, I absolutely loved this game. It has definitely moved to the Number 1 spot on my list of Best Games Ever, beating out Twilight Princess. Buy it. NOW.
  72. May 23, 2011
    If you are reading this you are no doubt aware that this is one of the finest games created in this generation. Regardless of what platform you have, this game is a must play. That being said I'm going to describe the pros and cons of playing the PC version. First off the PC version has some bugs and as of this writing they have no been patched. In the Normandy you will occasionally fallIf you are reading this you are no doubt aware that this is one of the finest games created in this generation. Regardless of what platform you have, this game is a must play. That being said I'm going to describe the pros and cons of playing the PC version. First off the PC version has some bugs and as of this writing they have no been patched. In the Normandy you will occasionally fall through the ship into a pitch black chasm. This is not often, but it happens and it's actually pretty hilarious. When it does happen you can just reload the checkpoint (which is updated often) and go on your merry way. The other problem with the PC version is the Liara mission which was pretty bad. If you don't do Liara's mission immediately after she asks you to do it and you run off to do something else then when you come back there will be a bug where you hack all the terminals but can't proceed in her mission. This ruined one playthrough for me so as long you know to do Liara's mission right away you should be fine. If you can deal with this bugs and you have a good system prepare to be rewarded with the benefits of the PC version. The graphics are far superior to the console versions, with beautiful, high resolution textures and anti-aliasing. Playing it on my 23" 1080p monitor and 5.1 speaker system was a blast. Surprisingly the cutscenes were not rendered in 1080p but in 720p, so the in-game cutscenes looks far better than the pre-rendered cutscenes, ironically. Playing with a mouse and keyboard are also fantastic, but beware that the default keyboard configuration is strange, to say the least. You can quickly customize this to your liking and it will feel much better than playing with a controller, especially since you can now quicksave. Bioware did not map the interactive dialogue to the number keys though, so you're stuck using a mouse to awkwardly choose your dialogue option in a wheel. Overall the problems with the PC version are minimal but if you have the rig to run it, it is definitely worth it. Expand
  73. Feb 4, 2011
    Bioware.. is there a better RPG developer? If so, Mass Effect 2 extinguishes any doubt. A stunningly beautiful game with spectacular scenery and amazing visuals, this game will not disappoint when it comes to eye candy. A step up from the traditional RPG style of Bioware, the games combat allows real time combat and decent shooter action, with the well known Bioware stragetical pausingBioware.. is there a better RPG developer? If so, Mass Effect 2 extinguishes any doubt. A stunningly beautiful game with spectacular scenery and amazing visuals, this game will not disappoint when it comes to eye candy. A step up from the traditional RPG style of Bioware, the games combat allows real time combat and decent shooter action, with the well known Bioware stragetical pausing weve grown accustomed to all mixed together. The games real strengths come from the plot, which allows the player to choose various conversation choices aswell as plot paths which can make dramatic consequences to the way the player experiences and inevitably ends the game. If you are a veteran of RPGs or wanting to dip your toe in and test the water, Mass Effect 2 is an excellent game to experience. The worst thing about this game is the time waiting for Mass Effect 3 to be released. 10/10. Expand
  74. May 20, 2011
    Great storyline, fun gameplay. Felt a bit like playing through a movie, was quite enjoyable. Not quite as long as I'd hoped for, but that's the only complaint I have. It's one of the few recent RPGs I didn't get bored of before I finished it, which is mainly due to the enjoyable storyline.
  75. Nov 7, 2011
    After playing first game, this one is far more better. In every step, you can see improvements. Graphics are sharper and better, combat system is better, you got more characters to interact with (in your team). Other things like story telling, soundtrack or that high quality of level designs are same. They rip-off some useless RPG elements, so thats good, you don't have to spend points toAfter playing first game, this one is far more better. In every step, you can see improvements. Graphics are sharper and better, combat system is better, you got more characters to interact with (in your team). Other things like story telling, soundtrack or that high quality of level designs are same. They rip-off some useless RPG elements, so thats good, you don't have to spend points to abilities like hacking. You got this one as passive, so that's the progress. I simply love this game, see ya in ME3 Expand
  76. May 18, 2011
    A satisfying game that lives up to the first game in just about every sense. The game allows you to be the galaxy's most-feared renegade or its most-loved paragon. The only downside is the removal of some RPG elements that made the first game quite enjoyable.
  77. May 27, 2011
    Would give this game a 10 had it not been for the simplification of the RP aspect that made ME1 exceptional. In removing the bugs, awful loading times, and terrible mechanics and travel, ME2 also removed inventory, customization, and a crucial story-arc that is truly dimensional. That being said, Mass Effect 2 is still one of the top video games that have ever been created, right up thereWould give this game a 10 had it not been for the simplification of the RP aspect that made ME1 exceptional. In removing the bugs, awful loading times, and terrible mechanics and travel, ME2 also removed inventory, customization, and a crucial story-arc that is truly dimensional. That being said, Mass Effect 2 is still one of the top video games that have ever been created, right up there with anything you throw at it. From its dazzling cut-scenes to its exceptional game-play, Mass Effect 2 MORE than made up for its flaws, and obliterated Mass Effect 1 in terms of overall quality in comparison. The story was compelling and at times even emotional. A true indication that a video game can be art. This was more than a game, and you would shoot yourself in the foot if you never gave this game a chance. Expand
  78. Jul 17, 2011
    The surprising event to occur at the start of ME2 got me very intrigued on my first play through and as the story unfolded I became hooked in anticipation. ME2 is not a good game because it improves on the short comings of Mass Effect 1, its good because it has an interesting story and setting that has depth and things are at stake to care about, well designed characters aesthetically andThe surprising event to occur at the start of ME2 got me very intrigued on my first play through and as the story unfolded I became hooked in anticipation. ME2 is not a good game because it improves on the short comings of Mass Effect 1, its good because it has an interesting story and setting that has depth and things are at stake to care about, well designed characters aesthetically and with personality, the decision making is not only ambitious but is pulled off very well, brilliantly and originally designed environments, creatures, costume and armour, and technically performs well at least on my PC with game play that feels satisfyingly good. The characters are good and memorable, I actually felt dread when some of them die, if you dont fall in love with Garrus, Tali, Legion, and Thane by the end of ME2 you have problems, I even grew attached to the space ship. I also want to make a big shout out to the legendary soundtrack, everyone must download the track Suicide Mission from Itunes now, its freaken awesome. The lack of depth in the RPG at first seems like a good thing as the shooting mechanics are good but after playing the game for over 60 hours it starts to show is thin side and has you missing some of the lacking RPG of the first game. I also dont think the decisions a player can make are perfect, who in their right mine didnt save the alien counsel in ME1? Who didnt save Wrex? But overall ME2 is a remarkable achievement and a new benchmark for modern single player games! Expand
  79. Oct 21, 2013
    My favorite game of all times. This is an RPG that takes place in an amazing wold with tons of lore and backstory for the one who's interested. The story and the characters are amazing and the soundtrack is mind blowing.
  80. Oct 25, 2011
    I can´t help my self, but I just love this game. I played it dozen times on the highest dificulty doing all side missions and tried many choices. The story was great - a little worse than mass effect 1 but still great. When I played this game for the first time, I was quite shocked, where did all those rpg elements from mass effect 1 went, but after some time I got used to itI can´t help my self, but I just love this game. I played it dozen times on the highest dificulty doing all side missions and tried many choices. The story was great - a little worse than mass effect 1 but still great. When I played this game for the first time, I was quite shocked, where did all those rpg elements from mass effect 1 went, but after some time I got used to it and found it to be not that bad. The big plus for ME2 is a lot better graphic, much better combat (covering system, heavy weapons, ammunition...)a lot better level design, great side missions and the back stories of every team members. The voice acting is superb again, the cutscenes are awesome and videos as well. So of course this game is not perfect but it is not far from it. I would like to see more abilities in mass effect 3. Expand
  81. Oct 26, 2011
    Big improvement over ME1, streamlined nicely but still RPG enough for most. Incredible characters, graphics+art design=Top-notch. Classes now more interesting, all powers a blast to use. EPIC cannot describe it.
  82. Apr 9, 2012
    Great game albet inventory and mods dummed down from the original, not the butchery that DA2 is, totally abandoning the standard of the original game.
  83. Dec 20, 2011
    This game came out about the same time I met my current girlfriend. Godammn it! Eventually I decided to let her in on a little secret of mine. I told her that frequently after we say goodnight and I drop her off home, I go home to my room and take command of a spaceship, called the Normandy. Didn't make any mention of the little thing I was hoping to get going with one of the cuteThis game came out about the same time I met my current girlfriend. Godammn it! Eventually I decided to let her in on a little secret of mine. I told her that frequently after we say goodnight and I drop her off home, I go home to my room and take command of a spaceship, called the Normandy. Didn't make any mention of the little thing I was hoping to get going with one of the cute hands-on-deck (Ashley I think her name was ). And then I cruise around galaxies and star systems looking for minerals, exploration activities, fights, battles and quests. Thus I had to admit that even though she thought she was starting a relationship with a switched-on intelligent guy, I was actually one of those moronic imbeclies that play RPG games on their computer. Suffice to say it didn't go down to well ... Why you'd want to know that I don't know, but what I'm trying to say is that I had to explain what this game was to a person that has never played a game in their life before. Once she could see that there was "story", "character development", "adventure", "combat" and "politics", she was much more impressed. I actually used this as an excuse to get her round to my place one night, by saying something along the lines, "I'll let you choose which planet we go to :)". Expand
  84. Dec 28, 2011
    So the sequel to one of the best sci-fi games arrived, and even though it came back in 2010 I felt it should be my first review for anyone interested, so lets start through my evaluation method comprised of: Graphics, Gameplay, Story and Soundtrack & Effects.

Graphics: in 2010 we had a few graphic showcases but nothing as mind blowing as 2011's Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3. However Mass Effect 2 had a very interesting way of mixing the futuristic art-style with the lightning and effects, by that i mean the game is beautiful but do not expect to be amazed by it. All I can say is it shines on where it needs to and shows extremely well how a sci-fi graphic style should be. Graphics Grade: 9.5/10

Gameplay: this is where Mass Effect 2 really differs from its predecessor, the gameplay is less focused on pointless exploration and more fluid, I believe that the removal of many RPG elements was necessary in order to make the game less level dependant. I tend to prefer a game that relies on my skills; not my level. Of course that completely changes the genre, but in my opinion Bioware has taken the great RPG elements, which were the conversations and decision making and mixed those with a very good shooting dynamic mechanism that simply works better than having to change weapons and go to inventory at every 10 minutes. Gameplay Grade: 9/10

Story: The story of Mass Effect 2 is simply fantastic, I won't spoil it here, but what i can say is that the player's decisions take a heavy impact on how the characters are developed so think well before choosing just any line of dialog. If you finished the first game than you can already have an idea of how the story plays, however the plot is more focused on character development this time around. Story Grade: 10/10

Soundtrack: I consider the soundtrack of a game to be of vital importance in order for its atmosphere to be sustained, and Mass Effect 2 has every thing a person needs to hear to become hypnotized by its contagious sci-fi fantasy. The sound effects are the very edge between realistic and fictional and the soundtrack has variable tones of intensity and tranquility. Soundtrack & Effects Grade: 10/10

The Final Grade is composed of an average of the previous four, so the...

Final Grade for Mass Effect 2: 9.625/10 which means 10/10.
  85. Mar 13, 2012
    This is one of if not the best game I have ever played. Loved the first Mass Effect but this is one has everything going for it imo, story, action, choices etc etc.
  86. Jan 1, 2012
    Simply one of the best games i've ever played. and definitely my all time replayability title.It is a roleplaying/shooter with excellent voice acting, amazing graphics, and the most intense atmosphere!. This game pulls you in and keep you and a wonderful ride. Highly recommended!
  87. Jan 28, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic game! Story, setting, mood, action, companions and looks are all 10/10, but unfortunately I hated the scanning planets for various materials - terrible idea! Therefore it is 9/10 instead.

Can´t wait for ME3 to come out and enthrall me again for hours and hours!
  88. Feb 27, 2012
    Just love it (ME1 too).
    Definitely one of the biggest games ever.
    Beatyful storyline, characters, sci-fi setup, deep and detailed world, nice graphics.
  89. Mar 3, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 took everything that was great about Mass Effect, and made it better. Most of the annoying aspects of the first game were removed, and I really only have one complaint about the second one (the planet mining -- ugh). What really stood out for me was how well the sequel built upon the decisions that you made in the original. What BioWare has done here is something truly special.
  90. Mar 3, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is simply Bioware's best RPG to date and is the closest I've played to gaming perfection. Mass Effect 3 will have to do wonders in order to knock its predecessor off its perch.
  91. Mar 27, 2012
    I LOVE THIS GAME. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. sorry, i know this is not how you start a review but i've never played a game that got me so engaged i actually cried for joy at some points. love the 'angel' & 'devil' choices as well!
  92. Mar 28, 2012
    I personally love it. I started the game with crying as is see what´s happend with my Normandy. So its the perfect continues story and the gameplay is bether than before. but you have to patch it because ther were many buggs.
  93. Apr 23, 2012
    Amazing,beatiful,compelling story from the master Drew Karpyshyn a genius writer that give us one of the greatest scifi histories ever,if you love RPG,action and a good story fulll of amazing characters mass effect 2 is for you
  94. May 21, 2012
    ME2 is a brilliant game. The graphic, the atmosphere and the characters catch you deep in a story about all or nothing. Sometimes the storytelling is a bit slow, but this is just my opinion. I love this game and play it many times - One of the games I would tell 'Game of the Year'.
  95. Jul 21, 2012
    This game's suicide mission is one of the best game sequences which combine gameplay, action and atmosphere (The music/soundtrack!!) that I've ever encountered. Overall, this game is truly epic and worth it's 10 out of 10, I still play it regularly. Unfortunately, there are a few too many characters in this game, making squad selection less strategic than in Mass Effect 1. But still, eachThis game's suicide mission is one of the best game sequences which combine gameplay, action and atmosphere (The music/soundtrack!!) that I've ever encountered. Overall, this game is truly epic and worth it's 10 out of 10, I still play it regularly. Unfortunately, there are a few too many characters in this game, making squad selection less strategic than in Mass Effect 1. But still, each character's individual personality and their loyalty missions more than make up for that. Expand
  96. Sep 2, 2012
    One of my all-time favorite PC Games ever. This is truly an epic video game with a wonderful story and beautiful graphics. There really aren't many games I enjoy replaying like this one. I have played through the game 3 times and each play through was literally as fun as the last. It really makes me sad because this is the one game I kind of wish would go on forever.
  97. Dec 24, 2013
    A masterpiece. Second best game Bioware made, after with Baldurs Gate II in mine opinion. Original Mass Effect was one of the best RPGs ever made, but ME 2 is even better.
  98. Sep 6, 2013
    Goods:
    - it is beautiful! (I played in 1920x1080)
    - the story is breathtaking! - the characters are very unique, they have their own personality! (I like Mordin, when he is jabbering, but in an intelligent way) - you cannot stop playing! - camera movement is very 'movie like', sometimes slowly turns around the character when in conversation, i like it. - I love the world on the
    Goods:
    - it is beautiful! (I played in 1920x1080)
    - the story is breathtaking!
    - you cannot stop playing!
    - I love the world on the planets where you can land (you can dance, you can help almost anyone to feel better, buying a fish to eat, help someone out with money etc.), so You can solve problems if You want.

Bads only in game menu:
    - i think bioware should not be proud about the game menu solution:
    - using the missions list tree structure is frustrating, you can not use it with keyboard (cursor moving buttons work, but then enter, space, nothing responses), with mouse sucks, you have to click, select, click, select with mouse, then click on the okay button on the very bottom... Frustrating, slow.
    - you have to navigate to the buttons with mouse, keyboard is not allowed. Boring, frustrating, slow.
    - It is not always the same function when you hit escape on keyboard, or hit the back button on the screen (example: when you scanning the planets, you hit escape, you will be behind Shepard on the spaceship, not the galaxy view, to scan new planets. You have to click on the back button on screen with mouse!)
    - when you are scanning planets, you have to turn to scan the whole planet, while you have to hold down right mouse button. Boring, uncomfortable.
    - they should learn a bit from firaxis xcom enemy unknown, about using the right mouse button to go back one level up in menu, or screen page (or using the 3rd, 4th mouse buttons for circle the units or for scrolling pages)
    - why i can not use enter when i select a button, or just double click on it with mouse to go inside? I have to go down to the next button with mouse. Frustrating, slow.
    - why i can not use w,a,s,d buttons to navigate in menus, then hit enter, or e, or space or something common button?
    - I hate origin login, it slows down starting the game

Comparison: Mass Effect 1 Mass Effect 2
    - now the mission areas very unique, not the same like in the first episode (the same ships inside, the same mines inside)
    - you can control your followers individually, not in a team (therefore the controls were redefined, i hated it for one hour only), your followers AI a bit better
    - Bioware is modified the planets scanning mechanism: mako is no more, you have to launch probes to get your resources as palladium etc., It is still boring, but better than the long traveling with mako.
    - You do not need to convert things to omnigel, to make those mini games for unlocking a computer or door.
    - You will see two types of mini games (select the right code lines, or connect the right circuits to each other), I like more mass effect 1 mini game (going with an arrow inside the circle)
    - The conversations are very fluent now, the heads movement are not lagging like the first episode
    - The in game menu is still a you can only use mouse, keyboard is only for hit escape

Conclusion:
    This is a must have game!
  99. Aug 23, 2013
    Shepard is Finally the awesome guy he should have been in ME1 but this game makes more than up for it. It keeps bringing awesome twists to your game by instating new characters as you go along. the road to victory is a hard one for shepard, but in the end its all worth it.
    i'm mrpopo666 and this is my favorite review on metacritic
  100. Efa
    Oct 24, 2013
    It might not be a straight up RPG, but the characters, the action, and the players ability to influence the games progression and ending make this my favorite game ever. A must play!

1. Mass Effect 2 resumes with pride the path opened by the first game. This sequel is a lesson of how things should be made.
  2. Mass Effect 2 delivers a story that's deeper than what many novelists are capable of, and its action is better than what most Hollywood directors are creating nowadays. It's an addictive, engrossing experience that many gamers will replay over and over while they hold their breath waiting for the third game.
  3. A brilliant mix of shooter and role-playing, filled with great characters, excellent design, lots of action and clever dialogue. It's a shame though that Bioware did not improve the inventory and skill system of the first game, but actually reduced it even more. I really wished there were more customization options, more ways to develop and gear up my characters. But all these are merely small points of criticism, since there is so much to feel and experience in this game. Mass Effect 2 is a thrilling, emotional ride and ultimately every bit as good as its predecessor.