8.7

1. Mar 21, 2011
    ME2 was a huge improvement over its predecessor. Not only did they remove many of the irritating tidbits that bogged players down in the level-up and equipment screens for hours, but they also improved gameplay drastically. The result is a well-made, fun game that easily makes the top of my list of games in 2010.
  2. Apr 13, 2011
    I have spend above a 100 hours in mass effect 2, so you might as well ask yourself why I dont give this game a perfect 10. Its quite simply really, there are some small flaws. I will try to explain them, but know the game is really an extremely well designed experience. With that said; I find there are two flaws in this game. First, the number of comrades you pick up in the game is toI have spend above a 100 hours in mass effect 2, so you might as well ask yourself why I dont give this game a perfect 10. Its quite simply really, there are some small flaws. I will try to explain them, but know the game is really an extremely well designed experience. With that said; I find there are two flaws in this game. First, the number of comrades you pick up in the game is to large. Now, you might ask why this could possibly be a problem. This is quite simple, all of them have a "loyalty quest" - and with so many comrades all the sidequests feel a disconnected to the main plot. Add to this that with so many comrades, you never get a special feeling for any of the comrades - like you did in the first mass effect where you had a more limited number of them. Its a shame really.

The second flaw, is the whole weapon system. This problem is more compounded by several smaller issues. First off is the "new and improved" ammo system, which blows to be honest. The first game had a heatcooldown system, which was actually fine. Now you have what they call "heat clips" that are universal, yet you cant shift them between the your weapons - this is just plain odd. besides the weapon selection is dumbed down to much. You have a severely limited amount of weapontypes to choose from, and the way you upgrade and find them feel.... well to be honest, mildly retarded. But even though the games have these flaws, I will still rate it a 9 for the solid script, plot and surperb gameplay.
  3. Mar 7, 2011
    If you are a fun of mass effect universe then it is an absolute buy.Less rpg then the first one but the story is a masterpiece!It also has a lot of dlc out that gives a great value.
  4. Aug 23, 2011
    A true Sci-Fi epic and the best game I have played. With top notch visuals, music, writng, voice acting, and gameplay, a diverse cast of characters, a dark and mysterious plot, this is the current high bar. Plus, it remembers everything you did in the previous game.
  5. Mar 28, 2012
    I am a big fan of Mass Effect who loved the first game, and this one is even better. Hopping around the galaxy, walking through the Citadel, and talking to your squad on the Normandy is as cozy as it always were: you snuggle up with blankets, listen to the same lovely music as in Mass Effect 1, and just let yourself be enveloped by the game and by the world. There is no more driving theI am a big fan of Mass Effect who loved the first game, and this one is even better. Hopping around the galaxy, walking through the Citadel, and talking to your squad on the Normandy is as cozy as it always were: you snuggle up with blankets, listen to the same lovely music as in Mass Effect 1, and just let yourself be enveloped by the game and by the world. There is no more driving the infamous Mako, a major drag in Mass Effect 1.

Combat is as much fun as in Mass Effect 1 â
  6. Nov 16, 2012
    In my opinion this is the best installment of the series. We are introduced to some of the best character in the series ■Grunt ■Jack ■Jacob Taylor ■Kasumi Goto
    ■Legion ■Miranda Lawson ■Mordin Solus ■Samara or Morinth ■Tali'Zorah vas Neema / Normandy
    ■Thane Krios ■Zaeed Massani And the old friends also returned. I loved
    ■Thane Krios ■Zaeed Massani
    And the old friends also returned. I loved the dark and grim atmosphere of the game. The collectors were very interesting villains. The pace of the game and the story were perfect. The graphics were improved. For the first time the player could explore the galaxy, which was a great addition. Weapon and armor customization was introduced. Player decisions really changed the outcome of the ending. I can only recommend the game. Don't forget to import your save files from ME1!
  7. Jan 13, 2011
    Although completely abandoning the RPG genre, this game is a epic experience which I enjoyed until the very last moment.

Reaper menace is the most fearsome I have seen on many years, feeling a true sense of urgency many times.

I feel the new allies are a bit depressing. Most of them are too though and a little of naivety would have been welcomed.
  8. Jul 6, 2012
    The continuation of amazing Mass Effect 1. The scenario and variety of options are still great. The graphics have been hugely improved. All the characters and the world is really beautiful. Besides, you can still choose how to end the game, whether die or to end like a hero and save the world. You can choose whether to be cruel boss or a great leader, whether to be friendly of flirty...The continuation of amazing Mass Effect 1. The scenario and variety of options are still great. The graphics have been hugely improved. All the characters and the world is really beautiful. Besides, you can still choose how to end the game, whether die or to end like a hero and save the world. You can choose whether to be cruel boss or a great leader, whether to be friendly of flirty... This is the best RPG I have ever played. 100% recommend to buy it !!! Expand
  9. Mar 29, 2011
    I enjoyed this game a lot, but agree with other critics that they took away a very fun element, which was the RPG element, probably a bit less micromanagement was the way to go, not completely removing it.

I also found it a bit short, kinda disappointed that i have to pay to get any more extra content that should have been included as side quests for the money i payed...
  10. Nov 21, 2011
    This game is a triumph. I kid you not, I've played through eight different times, continuing saves from Mass Effect and once starting from scratch on ME2. The story and gameplay are amazing. It's incredibly rewarding to see that your choices matter. The soundtrack is as epic as any Sci-fi adventure. This game is perfect.
  11. Jun 9, 2012
    To be simple, "Mass Effect 2" is a astounding game that fixes the problems "Mass Effect" had and even surpasses them with superiority. The gameplay is more of the same thing like "ME" but it's still awfully fun. Graphics and the player screen has drastically improved as well as the money system. Yes, in "ME2" weapons and armor aren't overpriced as they were in "ME". Overall a powerfulTo be simple, "Mass Effect 2" is a astounding game that fixes the problems "Mass Effect" had and even surpasses them with superiority. The gameplay is more of the same thing like "ME" but it's still awfully fun. Graphics and the player screen has drastically improved as well as the money system. Yes, in "ME2" weapons and armor aren't overpriced as they were in "ME". Overall a powerful space opera SF role playing game, a game you WILL play. Expand
  12. Nov 20, 2012
    This is probably my favorite game of all time (fighting for the top spot with Deus Ex). The world's are fascinating, wandering around them is like exploring a real life community. ME1 was also a phenomenal game (also in my top three or four games of all time), but this one improves upon it's graphics and continues the same amazing quality of writing and character development. It's really aThis is probably my favorite game of all time (fighting for the top spot with Deus Ex). The world's are fascinating, wandering around them is like exploring a real life community. ME1 was also a phenomenal game (also in my top three or four games of all time), but this one improves upon it's graphics and continues the same amazing quality of writing and character development. It's really a must play. The only problem is I really want to play a game I enjoyed as much as this one again, but just can't find one (ME3 just didn't cut it). Expand
  13. Oct 2, 2010
    Usually in a trilogy the weakest part is the second part, but boy the rules do not apply here. This game is a masterpiece a classic a game that will be talked about for years and years to come. Even if you do not care to play the first game(which I recommend you do) you will still enjoy this game greatly. The only downside is having to wait for ME3 for the conclusion of this trilogy!
  14. Aug 14, 2011
    The game is very good and better than i expected. The pros: The game is very long especially compared to most games today although the actual main story alone is not very long, the graphics are excellent, good game play that combines 3rd person shooting with class powers that add a tactical element as well as simply making it more fun, there are some great RPG elements, the main being howThe game is very good and better than i expected. The pros: The game is very long especially compared to most games today although the actual main story alone is not very long, the graphics are excellent, good game play that combines 3rd person shooting with class powers that add a tactical element as well as simply making it more fun, there are some great RPG elements, the main being how you want to act and react as well as allow one to customize ones character very well, excellent story with believable, varied characters and world that keeps ones interest, excellent sound, music and especially voice acting.Neutral points that can be improved upon: the hacking and bypassing mini-games are fine but they are too simple and become tedious relatively fast, scanning planets for resources is okay at first but becomes boring quite quickly Cons: Short main story, feels repetitive at times, although the game allows one to customize ones character very well there are not many different weapons or armour available, the game does a good job of creating an illusion that it is a big game but in actual fact it is not. There are only four landable locations, the rest of the locations one only goes there once for a mission. Overall a excellent game that i enjoyed very much although there are a few things that can make it even better.Mass effect 3 just needs to build on the rpg elements and have a bit more variety as well as be a bigger game to surpass it's predecessor, lets hope it does .9/10 Expand
  15. Nov 17, 2011
    Great game with a nice cinematic like gameplay and beautiful graphics. You can play it through multiple times and experience new things each time, and especially learning about your teammates is interesting. The only negative side is balancing the different classes, but at least they simplified the character developement/stats from the first game, and also made the item system work byGreat game with a nice cinematic like gameplay and beautiful graphics. You can play it through multiple times and experience new things each time, and especially learning about your teammates is interesting. The only negative side is balancing the different classes, but at least they simplified the character developement/stats from the first game, and also made the item system work by removing the constant looting and checking details of every item to get the strongest character. They also made side quests interesting, as it is not just a visit to a random planet/moon where you kill some guys and leaves (the fist game, red). Every action has consequences and it is a brilliant rpg. Can't wait for the third game next year where my Shepard will save the universe once again! Expand
  16. Aug 9, 2011
    The perfect game, more than Mass Effect. Graphics, sound, combat system, story, cinematic animations, missions... all is wonderful. I think this is one of the best gaming experience in the history. Congratulations Bioware
  17. Mar 19, 2011
    The perfect game, more than Mass Effect. Graphics, sound, combat system, story, cinematic animations, background, missions... they are great. Congratulations Bioware!
  18. Apr 4, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is the most engaging RPG I have played to date. Having never played the first Mass Effect I was afraid I would be lost jumping in to what I had learned to be an intended trilogy. That was not the case. Bioware did a fantastic job of establishing Mass Effect 2 as its own story while giving the player a feeling of deep historical conflicts in a very active world. Having theMass Effect 2 is the most engaging RPG I have played to date. Having never played the first Mass Effect I was afraid I would be lost jumping in to what I had learned to be an intended trilogy. That was not the case. Bioware did a fantastic job of establishing Mass Effect 2 as its own story while giving the player a feeling of deep historical conflicts in a very active world. Having the ability to choose your own spoken dialogue within the trademarked Bioware dialogue wheel connects players in a way never before experienced. Playing through this game really gives you the feeling that the choices you make matter (because they do) and that you are the star of your own epic journey. For me, the shooter-esque gameplay is secondary to Mass Effects remarkable interactive adventure. The player is in control be it good or bad, and your decisions impact the game flow and dictate morality. What I mostly love about Bioware games is that they don't just give you the choice of good vs evil, in some instances, the choice boils down to which is the greater good, or which is the greater evil. Beyond that, some situations just put the player in a real moral dilemma with no clear right or wrong. All in all, whether you are an RPG fan, or Joe Customer looking for an all inclusive gameplay experience, Biowares Mass Effect series is hands down one of the greatest video game achievements to grace the senses of game enthusiasts. I for one, cannot wait till Bioware releases their third and final installment of the series titles Mass Effect 3 late 2011. If you are looking for a gaming experience, full of twists and turns, redemption and peril, this game will not disappoint. 9.5/10 , I'll be saving my perfect score for what I presume ME3 will undoubtedly deliver. Expand
  19. May 1, 2011
    Too empty for an RPG, too branching for a shooter, Mass Effect 2 sits in a genre all it's own. I'll admit, when it first came out, I thought Mass Effect 2 was just a lousy attempt by Bioware to make money, but with the new free DLC, it began to look like something good. With all the DLC that Bioware's released, it's finally a good game.
  20. Mar 18, 2012
    Simply mindblowing! Mass Effect 2 is much darker than the first one in its atmosphere and more of a cyberpunk. It gives off the same vibe as the Deus Ex series. I'd even go as far and to say that perhaps it is even more immersive and engrossing than ME1.
    I loved the first Mass Effect and I wondered how the second could possibly top it. Well, it has managed to improve on a lot of aspects from the first one, even though it did dumb down a little bit on the RPG element. Now you no longer have a huge inventory full of weapons and their upgrades. In some ways this is good, because you no longer need to spend time cleaning your inventory off the useless stuff, but on the other hand the game lost out on a lot of customization aspects. Mass Effect 2 is a lot more of a squad oriented shooter than the first one was. It improved a lot on the shooter aspect of the gameplay, like making the cover system better, the weapons are more fun to use, and generally the gameplay feels fresher and more polished. Just as with the first game, Mass Effect 2 is incredibly immersive. Not only do you get to travel all over the galaxy again and completing quests, but this time you have 10 team members (plus 2 more with DLCs) instead of 6. Although it might seem a lot, but each and every one of those characters is captivating and has been developed superbly. Although the main plot is not as much the focus of the game as it was in ME1, the game does not lose out here, because the story is more character-driven. You get to recruit each and every team member separately, and additionally you can also do a loyalty mission for each of them, which helps to uncover more of their background and you get to really know what makes each of them tick. On the romance front you have a lot more choice than in the first game too. The galaxy exploration aspect has improved as well. Now you get to actually scan each planet manually and harvest resources from it, which you then need to use on upgrades to your weapons, armor, and ship. I also want to mention that I was incredibly impressed with the final mission. "Epic" is simply not good enough of a word to describe that finale. The whole team is involved in that mission, and this is something I felt that the first game missed out upon. I am glad ME2 had the finale that it deserved. The mission was so intense that I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Your decisions in that mission could have huge effects on whether your teammates would survive or not. It is one of the most dramatic and most memorable moments of video gaming for me. And so to conclude, I'd say that Mass Effect 2 is almost perfect of a game. Sure, it might've lost some of the RPG feel that the first game had, but it's amazing in its own right. It did not remove the good stuff. It simply replaced it with something different. The only thing I can nitpick on is that the same button is used for taking cover, running, and interacting with stuff, so at times you might for example want to run, but Shepard will start talking to a nearby person instead, or you might accidentally take cover on the wrong side of the object in the middle of a gunfight. But that is a very minor nitpick and does not detract from the mindblowingly divine experience this game will provide you with. It's only been a day since I completed it and I am already longing to replay the game, so I started a new playthrough. That is how addictive it is.
  21. Jan 31, 2012
    Developer's decisions are weird sometimes. Replacing simple weapons stats with a description box... yyyy... haven't they read any design book? How does a pile of text make up for some easy and graphically-presented stats?! Than they replaced a good, interesting story-line with a simple gather-a-team-and-finish-them-all thing. In result the only two thing that I've remembered from thisDeveloper's decisions are weird sometimes. Replacing simple weapons stats with a description box... yyyy... haven't they read any design book? How does a pile of text make up for some easy and graphically-presented stats?! Than they replaced a good, interesting story-line with a simple gather-a-team-and-finish-them-all thing. In result the only two thing that I've remembered from this episode is that I've died at the beginning (nice one Bioware!) and then picking up some members of my team only to make some wrong decisions at the end and almost killed them then... xD The game is very good and I had a lot of fun but I don't agree with some decisions made there.

Overall:
    ------------
    Graphics 10/10

Audio 9.5/10 (hate the death sound)

Gameplay 9/10 (getting companions -> finishing the game)
  22. Oct 30, 2011
    I didn't play the first Mass Effect so I came into this game not knowing most of the back story. But I felt like I knew the characters pretty quickly through good story telling and a fun plot. I really enjoyed the art, music and design of this game. The shooter aspect was fun and something different. There were some dull moments mining planets and equipping upgrades. I found myself notI didn't play the first Mass Effect so I came into this game not knowing most of the back story. But I felt like I knew the characters pretty quickly through good story telling and a fun plot. I really enjoyed the art, music and design of this game. The shooter aspect was fun and something different. There were some dull moments mining planets and equipping upgrades. I found myself not changing out my favorite party members very often because it wasn't really necessary. It wasn't a super deep or complex game but it worked very well. Expand
  23. May 14, 2012
    The start of the BEST story-driven trilogy in gaming history. It literally rivals Star Wars in terms of history / content. You'd be a fool not to play this game.
  24. Nov 12, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is the perfect evolution in the Mass Effect series. It's bigger, bolder and more polished. The gunplay is more refined and more enjoyable than Mass Effect 1. Graphics are amazing as well as the sound. The only downside is the lack of emphasis on RPG aspects. If you enjoyed inventory management, huge range of powers, upgrading individual guns in Mass Effect, they are nowhereMass Effect 2 is the perfect evolution in the Mass Effect series. It's bigger, bolder and more polished. The gunplay is more refined and more enjoyable than Mass Effect 1. Graphics are amazing as well as the sound. The only downside is the lack of emphasis on RPG aspects. If you enjoyed inventory management, huge range of powers, upgrading individual guns in Mass Effect, they are nowhere to be found in Mass Effect 2. In a sense, this makes the series more accessible. Mass Effect 2 contains even more hard choices than its previous installment. A must play for any Mass Effect or shooter fan with a superb story! Expand
  25. Nov 14, 2011
    If you thought that the fist one was the winner than you didn't play Mass Effect 2! Absolutely stunning! Universe just got bigger and more alive! Bunch of great missions to do. Your ship just got twice bigger so did your crew! Yes they striped away some of the RPG elements from the first one. But honestly I don't miss them! Great game is great game. It's more action packed now which is okIf you thought that the fist one was the winner than you didn't play Mass Effect 2! Absolutely stunning! Universe just got bigger and more alive! Bunch of great missions to do. Your ship just got twice bigger so did your crew! Yes they striped away some of the RPG elements from the first one. But honestly I don't miss them! Great game is great game. It's more action packed now which is ok with me! Still plenty of guys/gals and aliens to talk to in game! Loved it so much bought it for PS3 game of the year edition as well!! Expand
  26. Nov 17, 2011
    Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are excellent games and well worth the purchase. The games have a wonderfully crafted story which is very well presented. The characters are memorable for their stories and are very well acted. Some of the Downloadable Content is very good, my favorites were Shadow Broker, Overlord and Stolen Memory in that order each added several hours of play time and theMass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are excellent games and well worth the purchase. The games have a wonderfully crafted story which is very well presented. The characters are memorable for their stories and are very well acted. Some of the Downloadable Content is very good, my favorites were Shadow Broker, Overlord and Stolen Memory in that order each added several hours of play time and the boss battle at the end of Shadow Broker was a refreshing departure from previous bosses. The environments all look and feel unique which is a great step from the recycled optional environments from the original. There is so much good about the game it merits atleast 2 play throughs do you can make different choices and try both renegade and paragon approaches. Where the game could use some improvement is minor and very subjective. Combat is great but the enemies are not all that varied. The first boss figh in the game is recycled several times which gets boring but it is usually only on the optional missions where this is seen. More equipment customization would be nice since the only real option is 2 armor suits some different head gear and the guns (of which there are many). I would have liked to see planet exploration from the first game make a come back but it was not all that disappointing. Overall this is a great game with excellet DLC and well worth full price let alone what ever you can get it for now. Expand
  27. Nov 29, 2011
    Well I thought that Mass Effect 1 was a great game.... until I played Mass Effect 2. Every aspect of the game feels better once you get used to it. For example cover is much more useful and is easier to use. There is one big difference between ME and ME2 and that is the introduction of Thermal clips (read ammo). There are also some small details such as time freezing being mapped to shiftWell I thought that Mass Effect 1 was a great game.... until I played Mass Effect 2. Every aspect of the game feels better once you get used to it. For example cover is much more useful and is easier to use. There is one big difference between ME and ME2 and that is the introduction of Thermal clips (read ammo). There are also some small details such as time freezing being mapped to shift instead of space-bar by default. Expand
  28. Nov 28, 2011
    The game doesn't show true RPG elements, but, who cares? The decisions, gameplay and well made characters is enough to make you enjoy this game. Wonderful RP game where you can truly shape more or less your adventure.
  29. Feb 11, 2012
    If you still don't know MASS EFFECT, you should... Its all a RPG action game should be. To travel in many areas of the galaxy exploring, (like it would be with that technology), researching, doing espionage, rescue infiltration and search and destroy missions is extremely entertaining in this title. It makes the first title to look slow in combat and other elements (inventory and creditsIf you still don't know MASS EFFECT, you should... Its all a RPG action game should be. To travel in many areas of the galaxy exploring, (like it would be with that technology), researching, doing espionage, rescue infiltration and search and destroy missions is extremely entertaining in this title. It makes the first title to look slow in combat and other elements (inventory and credits makes it slow a bit), funny is that MASS EFFECT 1 is very entertaining, innovative and fun as well, but the second is awesome!! If MASS EFFECT 3 surpasses the second the same way it did to the first, we are not going to see another game so good in years to come, it will elevate you gaming experience. The DLC material is very good indeed and worth every penny spent, believe it, you dont want to leave it out of you gameplay. I singed up metacritic because of it and to warn you against the negative score that seemed nonsense. The mixed opinions are related to their taste for games.Im a big fan of STAR WARS games movies, magazines, toys and other, but everything that born must die a some day. MASS EFFECT came in that way. Expand
  30. May 22, 2012
    I really love this game. It seems that people who think ME 1 was better are suffering from nostalgia, because I played both in order within a week of eachother, and ME II is by far superior. P.S, I'm a Talimancer. Tali FTW!
  31. Mar 6, 2014
    This game was my first in the Mass Effect series. Unfortunately I discovered the series way after it was popular. So at first I didn't know what the hub bub was about. If your new to the series at first it just seems a little flat. It seemed it was more about graphics and such. And the series seemed to be a more modern and not Star Wars universe rip off of KOTOR.

After you get playing

After you get playing you see what the series is about. It has a lot going for it. First it is a first person shooter for the average Joe. Then they throw in coordinated squad combat. They up the anti by giving you a character that can allow you to chose good or bad actions, as you choose without ruining the storyline. They wisely have you playing the title character but allow you to customize your story and looks. They also have you choose a class, but allow you to chose the way your character levels up. Which can greatly alter your game experience when you choose to replay the game.

Then they allow you to upgrade weapons, your ship and even choose how your squad mates level up. You can even just let your squad mates help you in fights or command them who to attack. But to make the game better they add mini games. Which just adds an entire new level of enjoyment to the game.

But the big draw is probably story. The game has a story line for you. You make choices that can affect the way your companions see you. And may subtly affect other aspects of the story. On top of that story you get other stories very much like the KOTOR series does.

In the end the game seems to take the best of the KOTOR series and change it up enough so that you have similarly great aspects. But with enough changes to make the system seem fresh and exciting.

Because you can choose to go in so many directions the game has great replay value. Certainly a game worth owning. And probably should be in any RPG fan's collection.
  32. Feb 28, 2012
    Bioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. GoBioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. Go buy this game now, as well as it's original incarnation! Expand
  33. Yaz
    Sep 5, 2010
    This game is great. The atmosphere makes up for a lack of variety in combat. I did not like the restrictive environments (you can't really go anywhere on the Citadel for example), but in general if you liked the first, you should give this one a chance. Planet scanning does suck though.
  34. Sep 5, 2010
    With attractive graphics, a fantastic score, convincing voice action and a compelling storyline, Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first game left off and will keep you playing late into the night. The second game has improved a few of the niggling gameplay issues in the first game, but still has a little room for improvement. It's easy to forgive any minor flaws in the game though, simplyWith attractive graphics, a fantastic score, convincing voice action and a compelling storyline, Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first game left off and will keep you playing late into the night. The second game has improved a few of the niggling gameplay issues in the first game, but still has a little room for improvement. It's easy to forgive any minor flaws in the game though, simply because of its finesse and style overall. The Mass Effect games so far have been two of the most evocative titles released in the last 5 years. If you've played the first game, you probably already bought the second. If you've played neither, start now. Expand
  35. Jan 4, 2011
    The Good: The difference between a plot and a story is that the plot is what happens, and the story is what the book/movie/video game is about. The plot of ME2 is incredibly awesome. It's epic, fast-paced, and quite original. The story, not so much, but I'll get to that later. The voice acting overall is quite good. The gameplay mechanics are solid and responsive. The bots areThe Good: The difference between a plot and a story is that the plot is what happens, and the story is what the book/movie/video game is about. The plot of ME2 is incredibly awesome. It's epic, fast-paced, and quite original. The story, not so much, but I'll get to that later. The voice acting overall is quite good. The gameplay mechanics are solid and responsive. The bots are average, though I have yet to see good video game AI in any game. The side quests are immersive and entertaining. The characters are relatable and your relationships with them are believable. You don't have to micromanage your squad's weapons, armor, and mods anymore (thank God) and this makes the game much more streamlined, even if it's more of an FPS as a result.

The Bad: The story seems too short and it's like Bioware stuck in the loyalty missions just to add length to the game. That's not to say that these missions aren't rewarding or entertaining; in fact they're better than some of the plot missions. The final battle is disappointingly easy when compared to the final battle in ME1 and it was actually harder to get to the room where it takes place than to actually win the fight. I also did not like how they took out the driving portions of the game. Now, I know most people hated driving that car in ME1, but I liked it, and it was certainly better than just scanning the planet for the resources you need.

The Ugly: (DISCLAIMER: Some of these issues may have been due to the fact that my computer is slightly underpowered and not due to the actual game.) Blinking still looks freakin weird with eyelids and eye lashes overlapping and showing through each other and just being a bit disturbing. Occasionally, if I was walking too close to a wall that had kind of a slope, I'd get stuck on it and wouldn't be able to move. Facial expressions look odd and slightly robotic, but the voice acting makes up for it so I'm good. Sometimes during a cut scene the camera would go inside Shepard or some other character and obstruct my view until the camera moved a little. Very rarely (like once or twice) the game would lock up for 30 to 45 seconds inside the Normandy, but then it kept moving and everything was fine.

Overall, I absolutely loved this game. It has definitely moved to the Number 1 spot on my list of Best Games Ever, beating out Twilight Princess. Buy it. NOW.
  36. May 23, 2011
    If you are reading this you are no doubt aware that this is one of the finest games created in this generation. Regardless of what platform you have, this game is a must play. That being said I'm going to describe the pros and cons of playing the PC version. First off the PC version has some bugs and as of this writing they have no been patched. In the Normandy you will occasionally fallIf you are reading this you are no doubt aware that this is one of the finest games created in this generation. Regardless of what platform you have, this game is a must play. That being said I'm going to describe the pros and cons of playing the PC version. First off the PC version has some bugs and as of this writing they have no been patched. In the Normandy you will occasionally fall through the ship into a pitch black chasm. This is not often, but it happens and it's actually pretty hilarious. When it does happen you can just reload the checkpoint (which is updated often) and go on your merry way. The other problem with the PC version is the Liara mission which was pretty bad. If you don't do Liara's mission immediately after she asks you to do it and you run off to do something else then when you come back there will be a bug where you hack all the terminals but can't proceed in her mission. This ruined one playthrough for me so as long you know to do Liara's mission right away you should be fine. If you can deal with this bugs and you have a good system prepare to be rewarded with the benefits of the PC version. The graphics are far superior to the console versions, with beautiful, high resolution textures and anti-aliasing. Playing it on my 23" 1080p monitor and 5.1 speaker system was a blast. Surprisingly the cutscenes were not rendered in 1080p but in 720p, so the in-game cutscenes looks far better than the pre-rendered cutscenes, ironically. Playing with a mouse and keyboard are also fantastic, but beware that the default keyboard configuration is strange, to say the least. You can quickly customize this to your liking and it will feel much better than playing with a controller, especially since you can now quicksave. Bioware did not map the interactive dialogue to the number keys though, so you're stuck using a mouse to awkwardly choose your dialogue option in a wheel. Overall the problems with the PC version are minimal but if you have the rig to run it, it is definitely worth it. Expand
  37. Oct 15, 2010
    Ok, so i've had this game since it came out. Beat it twice- Once time Good- One time doing what i would do in real life. So, the Good: Great Graphics - Superb Story Line - Great Characters The Bad - The RPG elements have been downgraded from ME1. It just doesn't feel the same, strategic feel, of the first ME. I can just run around pressing (spacebar) on everything. With that aside, onlyOk, so i've had this game since it came out. Beat it twice- Once time Good- One time doing what i would do in real life. So, the Good: Great Graphics - Superb Story Line - Great Characters The Bad - The RPG elements have been downgraded from ME1. It just doesn't feel the same, strategic feel, of the first ME. I can just run around pressing (spacebar) on everything. With that aside, only small glitches in acting/voice appear rarely. I've had only 2 problems like this since it came out - 1) Miranda -on her loyalty mission- was floating above us when we came out of the elevator. 2) The sound of cars (In Lair of The Shadow Broker) kept continuing after i crashed the detective, and fought her guards. So, besides the RPG elements and rare glitches, this is a very, very good game. With the captivating story line, and stunning graphics, i only wonder how they will beat this with ME3 (It IS a trilogy, and ME3 WILL come out, in-case some of you did not know). The only thing they could've done better, was tone up the RPG element, which i believe they will do in ME3. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking about getting it. Collapse
  38. Oct 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are too many good things in this game to list them all, which is fitting since the question isn't "What is good about this game". The question is "What ISN'T good about this game", and the most i can come up with (after playing it many times) is the mining mini game. This is the only part of the game that is seriously lack luster. The last boss was also a slightly disappointing climax, and an illogical overall "evil scheme" made by the bad guys in ME2.

That said, there are flaws in all games, however compared to the first mass effect (and many other RPGs), Mass Effect 2 is the closest I've seen to a perfect game in the recent decade ever since the first xbox and the N64 was put out of commission.

Overall, it is an excellent game and a testament to the fact that Bioware remains on the cutting edge of western RPGs, and further solidifies themselves as a world renown game developer
  39. Nov 17, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a continuation of the military sci-fi Mass Effect saga developed by the now-legendary Bioware. Mass Effect 2 does a masterful job of recreating and improving on the sci-fi atmosphere and themes of the original, and brings with it further development of one of the best storylines of the decade. The gameplay, graphics, and soundtrack are all improved.

The soundtrack, while

The soundtrack, while it has lost much of the familiar 80's vibes associated with the original game, is nonetheless phenomenal, and will not disappoint. I liked the new soundtrack so much I ended up buying it as well.

Perhaps the greatest improvement in Mass Effect 2 was how quickly the game got moving. In the original Mass Effect, masterpiece though it was, I often felt like I was beginning the undertaking of reading a nice book. Despite being a terrific experience on the whole, it had a slow start, and didn't become particularly interesting until after you had played for a couple hours to allow the story to develop more and get through the earlier "groundwork stages" of the game.

In contrast, Mass Effect 2 has vastly improved in this area, and took my breath away almost as soon as I started playing. The improvements in the combat system, character cast, and riveting story kept me coming back for more and more! This was also likely due to the fact that the sequel builds on the groundwork put in place by the original game of the series. Overall, Mass Effect 2 is essentially flawless. All the familiar elements of the perfect game are here. The thought-provoking story is there. The graphics are good, and complement the setting and themes of the game nicely. The gameplay has improved, both in terms of dialog options, and in terms of pure combat-enjoyment. Don't miss out on the number one military sci-fi epic of our decade!
  40. Nov 21, 2010
    A really excellent game. The story is very good, and the outcome of the game can vary dramatically depending on your actions, which I find to be a big plus. The characters are very interesting and fun to interact with. The connection with the previous game and promise of more to come in the sequel feel like a real plus, as opposed to just a marketing gimmick. There are a few very minorA really excellent game. The story is very good, and the outcome of the game can vary dramatically depending on your actions, which I find to be a big plus. The characters are very interesting and fun to interact with. The connection with the previous game and promise of more to come in the sequel feel like a real plus, as opposed to just a marketing gimmick. There are a few very minor things that bugged me and keep my rating at a 9 instead of 10, but I still think this game is well worth buying for anyone who enjoys RPGs at all. Expand
  41. Nov 26, 2010
    One of the best games I've ever played, right up there with Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 4. I don't generally like 3rd person shooters, but Bioware did a great job on it. Game play is very engrossing and story line is quite good (though not the best).
  42. Aug 14, 2011
    Best game I have ever played in my life.
    The soundtrack, voice acting, gameplay. exploring and an open world game. Clocked this game 3 times and I intend to play more of it!

43. Jan 3, 2011
    Greatest game ever dudes!!Graphics awesome,the best story,characters are perfect and so much more!!don't listen to the haters cause you will miss the Best game!!!
  44. Jan 26, 2012
    Simply awesome, at first its "good" but as you start playing it, it gets a lot better. Depending of what you say or do in the game, affects the story in some way. They are only a few problems like crashing and audio glitching out, but they appear rarely so it doesn't ruin the experience. I highly recommend this.
  45. Feb 4, 2011
    Bioware.. is there a better RPG developer? If so, Mass Effect 2 extinguishes any doubt. A stunningly beautiful game with spectacular scenery and amazing visuals, this game will not disappoint when it comes to eye candy. A step up from the traditional RPG style of Bioware, the games combat allows real time combat and decent shooter action, with the well known Bioware stragetical pausingBioware.. is there a better RPG developer? If so, Mass Effect 2 extinguishes any doubt. A stunningly beautiful game with spectacular scenery and amazing visuals, this game will not disappoint when it comes to eye candy. A step up from the traditional RPG style of Bioware, the games combat allows real time combat and decent shooter action, with the well known Bioware stragetical pausing weve grown accustomed to all mixed together. The games real strengths come from the plot, which allows the player to choose various conversation choices aswell as plot paths which can make dramatic consequences to the way the player experiences and inevitably ends the game. If you are a veteran of RPGs or wanting to dip your toe in and test the water, Mass Effect 2 is an excellent game to experience. The worst thing about this game is the time waiting for Mass Effect 3 to be released. 10/10. Expand
  46. Oct 10, 2011
    1. Bioware is a big dog dev, so all the advertising reviewers must give more than what it really deserve to get more ad money from them. (i.e. After giving bad review on square enix game kane and lynch 2, one of GS reviewers were fired.)

2. This is no longer an innovative TPS RPG hybrid once ME1 tried. This is average at best 3rd person cover shooter with stupid A.I. (If you want top notch 3rd psn cover shooter gears of war is the answer.)

3. Story is shallow as hell, almost no sidequest, no world exploration, linear story without any meaningful plot variations. repetitive combat, surprisingly stiff/ limited character animation for action game.

4. Cinematic graphic presentation and SF concept/ artwork and some cool biotic skill effect is the only things that save this mediocre cover shooter from rated more than what it really deserves.

Conclusion : cool SF concept art/ cool biotic skill effect will deceive your mind but underneath the shiny shallow shell, there's plenty of mediocrity of gameplay and contents at its heart.
  47. Nov 7, 2011
    After playing first game, this one is far more better. In every step, you can see improvements. Graphics are sharper and better, combat system is better, you got more characters to interact with (in your team). Other things like story telling, soundtrack or that high quality of level designs are same. They rip-off some useless RPG elements, so thats good, you don't have to spend points toAfter playing first game, this one is far more better. In every step, you can see improvements. Graphics are sharper and better, combat system is better, you got more characters to interact with (in your team). Other things like story telling, soundtrack or that high quality of level designs are same. They rip-off some useless RPG elements, so thats good, you don't have to spend points to abilities like hacking. You got this one as passive, so that's the progress. I simply love this game, see ya in ME3 Expand
  48. Mar 12, 2011
    Fantastic game. Different from the first, but great in it's own way. People are afraid of change and that's what this game did. Mass Effect 2 separated itself from the first Mass Effect giving players another great 50+ hour game. I have no complaints whatsoever about ME2, I highly recommend it. But, if you happen to be one of these "I hate change, make the game how I want it" type ofFantastic game. Different from the first, but great in it's own way. People are afraid of change and that's what this game did. Mass Effect 2 separated itself from the first Mass Effect giving players another great 50+ hour game. I have no complaints whatsoever about ME2, I highly recommend it. But, if you happen to be one of these "I hate change, make the game how I want it" type of players, then move along this might not be for you. Expand
  49. Mar 13, 2011
    Very fun game. Deserved GOTY on IGN.

Good: Loved the first one, second one's storyline was epic too. Soundtrack epic. Voice acting epic. Beautiful worlds. Graphics were decent. Problems: mining is bad. not enough RPG elements. AI squadmates are slightly annoying.
  50. Sep 3, 2011
    OMG BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!! Love love love love it!!!! I really like what they have done with this new installment, I mean i love the whole franchise but, it really just gets better everytime i play it lol.
  51. Mar 21, 2011
    Simply the best game ever. You will never find a game with a better story line. Period. The graphics make your eyes want to tear up, the story makes you want to never quite player (and you won't) and impact of your decisions are felt throughout the game. An absolute must have. Anyone dissing this game has issues. It has one nearly every single award out there for a reason.
  52. Feb 13, 2012
    Overall, I like mass effect 1's more rpg like focus to it's mechanics and stats than mass effect 2's more functional and bare streamlining. However, while this game is a better rpg - it also has more lows in it's pacing. Some sections in mass effect are incredible and interesting, others are slow moving. I think mass effect 2 should have never removed the planet exploration. In the end. IOverall, I like mass effect 1's more rpg like focus to it's mechanics and stats than mass effect 2's more functional and bare streamlining. However, while this game is a better rpg - it also has more lows in it's pacing. Some sections in mass effect are incredible and interesting, others are slow moving. I think mass effect 2 should have never removed the planet exploration. In the end. I score both games the same. 9/10. For different reasons, mass effect 2 is a perfectly paced game, that was successfully streamlined. However lost some of it's scale as a result. Mass effect 1 was more ambitious, however it was occasionally boring. Expand
  53. Mar 25, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 improves on many areas of its predecessor, which is no mean feat. The majority of the storyline is enjoyable and continues on from where Mass Effect left off, but it starts off poorly and in an almost unnecessary way. However, the path the story takes; spending 90% of the game recruiting your team is a disappointing way to spend your time. The core storyline missions howeverMass Effect 2 improves on many areas of its predecessor, which is no mean feat. The majority of the storyline is enjoyable and continues on from where Mass Effect left off, but it starts off poorly and in an almost unnecessary way. However, the path the story takes; spending 90% of the game recruiting your team is a disappointing way to spend your time. The core storyline missions however are fun and challenging. It was great to see that Bioware have learnt from some of the mistakes they made in Mass Effect 1; mostly the boring and repetitive Mako missions and extremely repetitive side quests where you enter the same bunker 100â Expand
  54. Apr 9, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 has a good if not the best story in a game i have ever seen and there for the story is also the main selling point. The gameplay is not Super but it is ok. I would give it 9,5 if i could. But now its 10. Its my favorite game.
  55. Jan 23, 2012
    ...:::GAME OF THE DECADE:::...

An epic intergalactic experience that'll totally blow you away..
    This game just totally rocked my world

Must buy if you love the sci-fi genre!!
  56. Jun 9, 2011
    Leading off with 10. Games are for fun, enjoyment diversion. ME2 delivered that to me in spades. The biggest gripe from others seems to stem from what an RPG is or isn't. For some the R stands for loot, inventory, tons of gear, options etc. For others the R is the characters, story and action. For me, the R is that latter. I really could care less about the drudgery of inventory andLeading off with 10. Games are for fun, enjoyment diversion. ME2 delivered that to me in spades. The biggest gripe from others seems to stem from what an RPG is or isn't. For some the R stands for loot, inventory, tons of gear, options etc. For others the R is the characters, story and action. For me, the R is that latter. I really could care less about the drudgery of inventory and looting that the original ME1 contained. For those that miss that, it's cool... to each their own. However to consider that "RPG Roots" reaches all the way back to pen and paper games, some of those were loot heavy gear fests and some where story, character and action driven. To claim that ME2 "oversimplifies the RPG genre", it really comes down to what you consider and RPG to be. It's a very individual choice... not an 'ending of the genre' as some might claim. My $0.02 Expand
  57. Jul 17, 2011
    The surprising event to occur at the start of ME2 got me very intrigued on my first play through and as the story unfolded I became hooked in anticipation. ME2 is not a good game because it improves on the short comings of Mass Effect 1, its good because it has an interesting story and setting that has depth and things are at stake to care about, well designed characters aesthetically andThe surprising event to occur at the start of ME2 got me very intrigued on my first play through and as the story unfolded I became hooked in anticipation. ME2 is not a good game because it improves on the short comings of Mass Effect 1, its good because it has an interesting story and setting that has depth and things are at stake to care about, well designed characters aesthetically and with personality, the decision making is not only ambitious but is pulled off very well, brilliantly and originally designed environments, creatures, costume and armour, and technically performs well at least on my PC with game play that feels satisfyingly good. The characters are good and memorable, I actually felt dread when some of them die, if you dont fall in love with Garrus, Tali, Legion, and Thane by the end of ME2 you have problems, I even grew attached to the space ship. I also want to make a big shout out to the legendary soundtrack, everyone must download the track Suicide Mission from Itunes now, its freaken awesome. The lack of depth in the RPG at first seems like a good thing as the shooting mechanics are good but after playing the game for over 60 hours it starts to show is thin side and has you missing some of the lacking RPG of the first game. I also dont think the decisions a player can make are perfect, who in their right mine didnt save the alien counsel in ME1? Who didnt save Wrex? But overall ME2 is a remarkable achievement and a new benchmark for modern single player games! Expand
  58. Aug 29, 2011
    Easily in my all time top 3. People are so afraid to be interested in a game that is not labeled rpg if they have already established themselves as hardcore gamers. Some games that are not role playing, or strategy games are actually good. Believe me when I say its okay to like a couple of shooters. Whether mass effect 2 is a shooter or an rpg, well the definition for rpg can be found allEasily in my all time top 3. People are so afraid to be interested in a game that is not labeled rpg if they have already established themselves as hardcore gamers. Some games that are not role playing, or strategy games are actually good. Believe me when I say its okay to like a couple of shooters. Whether mass effect 2 is a shooter or an rpg, well the definition for rpg can be found all over the internet. It is really sad that before jumping into an amazing game some gamer still have to convince themselves that it is an rpg, seriously guys you're not a gamer if that is all you are interested in. rpg players enjoy story line right? Expand
  59. Jan 28, 2012
    It is easier to list the things i disliked than the things I liked about this game. There was one main character I found slightly annoying, and I found myself wishing I could still drive ME1's landing vehicle around at will. What isn't there to love about ME2? Great characters, exciting plot. You really are compelled to gather a great and loyal team. Every character has his or her ownIt is easier to list the things i disliked than the things I liked about this game. There was one main character I found slightly annoying, and I found myself wishing I could still drive ME1's landing vehicle around at will. What isn't there to love about ME2? Great characters, exciting plot. You really are compelled to gather a great and loyal team. Every character has his or her own entire plot line dedicated to them to ensure your success in the climactic battle, a time where you make gambles as a leader as well as a fighter. Epic stuff in this box! I would have paid more than the $60 I laid down at its release in hindsight. Expand
  60. Oct 21, 2013
    My favorite game of all times. This is an RPG that takes place in an amazing wold with tons of lore and backstory for the one who's interested. The story and the characters are amazing and the soundtrack is mind blowing.
  61. Sep 20, 2011
    You know, it's really hard to say something about Mass Effect 2. Speaking of myself, i was shocked by it.,really. It was such an amazing experience playing it (and BTW, no' i haven't played ME1 by that time) that it's really hard to write a review on this game. Still, i'll try.
    Well, what are the positive features of the game? First of all-amazing graphics. Trust me, you won't see anything like this in any RPG. Definitely. Secondly, the conversations. The style of them, the decisions you make by them-it's all outstanding. The characters themselves are one of the best characters created in the gaming industry. Each one of them is absolutely different from the other, has his own history, personality. And it's really interesting to discover all this.
    The only negative part of ME2 (i don't think it's bad, but some people do) is that Mass Effect Franchise isn't an RPG anymore. It's all about shooting, which is completely different from the first game, and this may dissapoint some people. I think it's more of a good thing, because it makes the game more breath-taking, but some people may not agree.
    So, finally, what can i say about Mass Effect 2? Awesome. Breathtaking. Amazing. And made me buy the First game ;)
  62. Mar 17, 2012
    This game is simply "Michal Bay" style production. You could call the game... limited. I do. But I still can appreciate that the way story is told is really amazing. And I mean REALLY. It is worth playing just for seeing it, feeling the loud sound while watching incredible camera doing. Even when I prefer game to be "a game", ME2 still has it's place. And I would recommend it for anyoneThis game is simply "Michal Bay" style production. You could call the game... limited. I do. But I still can appreciate that the way story is told is really amazing. And I mean REALLY. It is worth playing just for seeing it, feeling the loud sound while watching incredible camera doing. Even when I prefer game to be "a game", ME2 still has it's place. And I would recommend it for anyone who hesitated playing this because "it is bad game" comments but still can feel something special watching trailers like Skyrim's or DXHR's over and over :) You will love ME2 in the same way :) Expand
  63. Dec 16, 2011
    highly polished in every aspect and far superior to its predecessor, mass effect 2 is perhaps my favorite game of all time, with intense action, beautiful graphics and art design, large amount of replay value and memorable story/characters
  64. Oct 3, 2011
    Un juego exelente con buenos graficos, entretenido, abierto, con un gameplay inovador. Es la perfecta combinacion entre rol y acción, espero con anciedad la tercera entrega de este maravilloso juego
  65. Nov 11, 2011
    Amazing. I can't say enough about it. It's very possibly the best game I've ever played in nearly 15 years of gaming. HIGHLY recommended. Be sure to play the original first, as it makes the experience that much more immersive.
  66. Oct 22, 2011
    This is one of my favorite game. The story, the freedom of the player to choose his way in the scenario, and the gameplay are really perfect. I'd like to have more games like this one.
  67. Oct 25, 2011
    I can´t help my self, but I just love this game. I played it dozen times on the highest dificulty doing all side missions and tried many choices. The story was great - a little worse than mass effect 1 but still great. When I played this game for the first time, I was quite shocked, where did all those rpg elements from mass effect 1 went, but after some time I got used to itI can´t help my self, but I just love this game. I played it dozen times on the highest dificulty doing all side missions and tried many choices. The story was great - a little worse than mass effect 1 but still great. When I played this game for the first time, I was quite shocked, where did all those rpg elements from mass effect 1 went, but after some time I got used to it and found it to be not that bad. The big plus for ME2 is a lot better graphic, much better combat (covering system, heavy weapons, ammunition...)a lot better level design, great side missions and the back stories of every team members. The voice acting is superb again, the cutscenes are awesome and videos as well. So of course this game is not perfect but it is not far from it. I would like to see more abilities in mass effect 3. Expand
  68. Oct 26, 2011
    Big improvement over ME1, streamlined nicely but still RPG enough for most. Incredible characters, graphics+art design=Top-notch. Classes now more interesting, all powers a blast to use. EPIC cannot describe it.
  69. Nov 13, 2011
    I was waiting for a game to finish updating so to kill time I started up mass effect 2. I spent my ENTIRE weekend playing mass effect and it really shows how in depth the gameplay is and why it has such a good metacritic rating. i was so happy when i finished the suicide mission casualty free on sunday at 5 o'clock
  70. Jan 10, 2014
    Mass Effect trilogy has been One of most polished Storytelling Action Graphics and Gameplay combined in one. Apart from the Final Ending Controversy in Mass Effect 3 This is one of the most played and loved RPGs adventures to date. I would have to say if new to series than Please Play in Sequence. Mass Effect 2 is probably the best of series. A game which will make you finish that next bitMass Effect trilogy has been One of most polished Storytelling Action Graphics and Gameplay combined in one. Apart from the Final Ending Controversy in Mass Effect 3 This is one of the most played and loved RPGs adventures to date. I would have to say if new to series than Please Play in Sequence. Mass Effect 2 is probably the best of series. A game which will make you finish that next bit of story everytime Expand
  71. Feb 19, 2012
    This game is well written, has a good variety of options and while I can agree it did get simplified slightly from the first one, I can't say those are bad things. This game was very enjoyable in all facets - story, amazing music, game play, leveling, everything is interesting and fun. They did a great job with the game and the only thing keeping me from giving it a 10 is that parts ofThis game is well written, has a good variety of options and while I can agree it did get simplified slightly from the first one, I can't say those are bad things. This game was very enjoyable in all facets - story, amazing music, game play, leveling, everything is interesting and fun. They did a great job with the game and the only thing keeping me from giving it a 10 is that parts of it felt a little rushed, it was mildly buggy at times, and it was abused with some rather stupid DLC .. weapons/armor packs anyone? That's EA at work, though, not Bioware. God, I hate EA so much. Everything they touch is tainted with bad, greedy marketing and the taint of stockholders who care more about profits this year than long term. Expand
  72. Apr 9, 2012
    Great game albet inventory and mods dummed down from the original, not the butchery that DA2 is, totally abandoning the standard of the original game.
  73. Dec 20, 2011
    This game came out about the same time I met my current girlfriend. Godammn it! Eventually I decided to let her in on a little secret of mine. I told her that frequently after we say goodnight and I drop her off home, I go home to my room and take command of a spaceship, called the Normandy. Didn't make any mention of the little thing I was hoping to get going with one of the cuteThis game came out about the same time I met my current girlfriend. Godammn it! Eventually I decided to let her in on a little secret of mine. I told her that frequently after we say goodnight and I drop her off home, I go home to my room and take command of a spaceship, called the Normandy. Didn't make any mention of the little thing I was hoping to get going with one of the cute hands-on-deck (Ashley I think her name was ). And then I cruise around galaxies and star systems looking for minerals, exploration activities, fights, battles and quests. Thus I had to admit that even though she thought she was starting a relationship with a switched-on intelligent guy, I was actually one of those moronic imbeclies that play RPG games on their computer. Suffice to say it didn't go down to well ... Why you'd want to know that I don't know, but what I'm trying to say is that I had to explain what this game was to a person that has never played a game in their life before. Once she could see that there was "story", "character development", "adventure", "combat" and "politics", she was much more impressed. I actually used this as an excuse to get her round to my place one night, by saying something along the lines, "I'll let you choose which planet we go to :)". Expand
  74. Dec 28, 2011
    So the sequel to one of the best sci-fi games arrived, and even though it came back in 2010 I felt it should be my first review for anyone interested, so lets start through my evaluation method comprised of: Graphics, Gameplay, Story and Soundtrack & Effects.

Graphics: in 2010 we had a few graphic showcases but nothing as mind blowing as 2011's Crysis 2 or Battlefield 3. However Mass Effect 2 had a very interesting way of mixing the futuristic art-style with the lightning and effects, by that i mean the game is beautiful but do not expect to be amazed by it. All I can say is it shines on where it needs to and shows extremely well how a sci-fi graphic style should be. Graphics Grade: 9.5/10

Gameplay: this is where Mass Effect 2 really differs from its predecessor, the gameplay is less focused on pointless exploration and more fluid, I believe that the removal of many RPG elements was necessary in order to make the game less level dependant. I tend to prefer a game that relies on my skills; not my level. Of course that completely changes the genre, but in my opinion Bioware has taken the great RPG elements, which were the conversations and decision making and mixed those with a very good shooting dynamic mechanism that simply works better than having to change weapons and go to inventory at every 10 minutes. Gameplay Grade: 9/10

Story: The story of Mass Effect 2 is simply fantastic, I won't spoil it here, but what i can say is that the player's decisions take a heavy impact on how the characters are developed so think well before choosing just any line of dialog. If you finished the first game than you can already have an idea of how the story plays, however the plot is more focused on character development this time around. Story Grade: 10/10

Soundtrack: I consider the soundtrack of a game to be of vital importance in order for its atmosphere to be sustained, and Mass Effect 2 has every thing a person needs to hear to become hypnotized by its contagious sci-fi fantasy. The sound effects are the very edge between realistic and fictional and the soundtrack has variable tones of intensity and tranquility. Soundtrack & Effects Grade: 10/10

The Final Grade is composed of an average of the previous four, so the...

Final Grade for Mass Effect 2: 9.625/10 which means 10/10.
  75. Mar 13, 2012
    This is one of if not the best game I have ever played. Loved the first Mass Effect but this is one has everything going for it imo, story, action, choices etc etc.
  76. Jan 1, 2012
    Simply one of the best games i've ever played. and definitely my all time replayability title.It is a roleplaying/shooter with excellent voice acting, amazing graphics, and the most intense atmosphere!. This game pulls you in and keep you and a wonderful ride. Highly recommended!
  77. Jan 21, 2012
    The games pretty fun, I love the storyline and is one of the best roleplaying games that wasn't made by Bethesda. I found the game not as fun as the first one, but it still doesn't affect my score. It is a fun game until you have to acquire minerals which is pretty boring. I loved how they included Genesis so I could transfer my player from the first game. Overall, I loved the game and IThe games pretty fun, I love the storyline and is one of the best roleplaying games that wasn't made by Bethesda. I found the game not as fun as the first one, but it still doesn't affect my score. It is a fun game until you have to acquire minerals which is pretty boring. I loved how they included Genesis so I could transfer my player from the first game. Overall, I loved the game and I can't wait until the 3rd comes out. Expand
  78. Feb 22, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is definitely one of the best action-rpg games in history. Even though people criticize the lack of inventory and different option, i actually like the streamlined changes. It puts more focus on the story and gameplay instead of stats. The story is definitely one of the best and the voice acting is terrific. t's hard not to love the hateful Illusive Man or Legion or Grunt.Mass Effect 2 is definitely one of the best action-rpg games in history. Even though people criticize the lack of inventory and different option, i actually like the streamlined changes. It puts more focus on the story and gameplay instead of stats. The story is definitely one of the best and the voice acting is terrific. t's hard not to love the hateful Illusive Man or Legion or Grunt. Mass Effect 2 seems to have done many things right and i am glad that it is a commercial and critical success. Expand
  79. Jan 28, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic game! Story, setting, mood, action, companions and looks are all 10/10, but unfortunately I hated the scanning planets for various materials - terrible idea! Therefore it is 9/10 instead.

Can´t wait for ME3 to come out and enthrall me again for hours and hours!
  80. Feb 27, 2012
    Just love it (ME1 too).
    Definitely one of the biggest games ever.
    Beatyful storyline, characters, sci-fi setup, deep and detailed world, nice graphics.
  81. Mar 3, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 took everything that was great about Mass Effect, and made it better. Most of the annoying aspects of the first game were removed, and I really only have one complaint about the second one (the planet mining -- ugh). What really stood out for me was how well the sequel built upon the decisions that you made in the original. What BioWare has done here is something truly special.
  82. Mar 3, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is simply Bioware's best RPG to date and is the closest I've played to gaming perfection. Mass Effect 3 will have to do wonders in order to knock its predecessor off its perch.
  83. Mar 13, 2012
    I love that game. I have beaten it few times now, which is a lot for a 30 hours long game. I guess that says everything. As much as it could be better game and it could incorporate your choices in more distinctive way (they are mainly one-liners in dialogue), It still has lovable universe, great plot line, rewarding gameplay and it is a "Star Wars saga of Games".
  84. Mar 22, 2012
    Took away 2 points because it's hard to transition from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. A lot of the customization has been stripped away, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (no more having to sell/gel items every 5 minutes because of the item limit) but some players enjoy the incremental upgrades in games. The other thing is the sudden change in controls. What used to be run is nowTook away 2 points because it's hard to transition from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. A lot of the customization has been stripped away, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (no more having to sell/gel items every 5 minutes because of the item limit) but some players enjoy the incremental upgrades in games. The other thing is the sudden change in controls. What used to be run is now pause. What used to be pause is now run. What used to be interact is now order squad mate, and the new run key is also the new interact key. So if you're coming straight from ME1 be prepared to get frustrated while you get used to the new controls. Besides those 2 things the game is great and a huge improvement over (the already great) mass effect 1. And the way it carries over decisions made in the previous game adds a whole new layer of immersion and replayability. Expand
  85. Mar 22, 2012
    I quite enjoyed this game. It improved on ME1s combat and it was a great story as well. The customization of the weapons saddened me. Too few weapons, no way to improve via modifications. Also, I disliked the running. You couldn't run any other direction but straight, and you couldn't even run for too long. But none of this affected my score too much, if I could give a 9.5, I would. AndI quite enjoyed this game. It improved on ME1s combat and it was a great story as well. The customization of the weapons saddened me. Too few weapons, no way to improve via modifications. Also, I disliked the running. You couldn't run any other direction but straight, and you couldn't even run for too long. But none of this affected my score too much, if I could give a 9.5, I would. And despite these minor faults, the game was still an absolute blast to play. Expand
  86. Jun 15, 2012
    I'll start by stating that I'm anything but a Sci-Fi fan, so I guess what I have to say might carry a bit more weight than if I was.

I must say I dind't enjoy any game like I enjoyed Dragon Age:Origins for a long time, and yet, given the choice to play DA:O (which is more in line with the games is enjoy the most) or ME2, I'd have to think for a while and then probably choose Mass Effect 2.

I loved it so much I even started looking for a tactical first person shooter (which not my kind of game, really), which eventually lead to the discovery of Battelfield 3.

Overall, though not in my usual vein of games, probably the most satisfying game I ever played.
  87. Mar 27, 2012
    I LOVE THIS GAME. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT. sorry, i know this is not how you start a review but i've never played a game that got me so engaged i actually cried for joy at some points. love the 'angel' & 'devil' choices as well!
  88. Mar 28, 2012
    I personally love it. I started the game with crying as is see what´s happend with my Normandy. So its the perfect continues story and the gameplay is bether than before. but you have to patch it because ther were many buggs.
  89. Apr 23, 2012
    Amazing,beatiful,compelling story from the master Drew Karpyshyn a genius writer that give us one of the greatest scifi histories ever,if you love RPG,action and a good story fulll of amazing characters mass effect 2 is for you
  90. Aug 25, 2012
    Let's start with the good points of the game. The combat has been vastly improved and is now way better. The characters are great, they're all unique and have a good backstory to them. The story is... ok for the most part, a bit stupid and nonsensical here and there but it's nothing big. Now for the bad: exploration is completely gone. Instead of improving it like they did with the combatLet's start with the good points of the game. The combat has been vastly improved and is now way better. The characters are great, they're all unique and have a good backstory to them. The story is... ok for the most part, a bit stupid and nonsensical here and there but it's nothing big. Now for the bad: exploration is completely gone. Instead of improving it like they did with the combat they just removed it completely. The replacement for it, the mining game, is not any better. The galaxy seems smaller now but the multitude of hub worlds sort of fills in the gap left by it. They also removed the inventory system (which was very bad in ME1) and replaced it with an upgrade system. It's good but it still would've been better to have an inventory. Conclusion: Small problems here and there but the good parts outweigh them. 9/10 Expand
  91. May 21, 2012
    ME2 is a brilliant game. The graphic, the atmosphere and the characters catch you deep in a story about all or nothing. Sometimes the storytelling is a bit slow, but this is just my opinion. I love this game and play it many times - One of the games I would tell 'Game of the Year'.
  92. Jul 23, 2012
    No much to say here! They fixed all bad things which was annoying in 1st part continuing awesome story and characters. Map system and fighting is also improved which made this game almost perfect. Play 1st part because of story line and this part for fun!
  93. Jul 21, 2012
    This game's suicide mission is one of the best game sequences which combine gameplay, action and atmosphere (The music/soundtrack!!) that I've ever encountered. Overall, this game is truly epic and worth it's 10 out of 10, I still play it regularly. Unfortunately, there are a few too many characters in this game, making squad selection less strategic than in Mass Effect 1. But still, eachThis game's suicide mission is one of the best game sequences which combine gameplay, action and atmosphere (The music/soundtrack!!) that I've ever encountered. Overall, this game is truly epic and worth it's 10 out of 10, I still play it regularly. Unfortunately, there are a few too many characters in this game, making squad selection less strategic than in Mass Effect 1. But still, each character's individual personality and their loyalty missions more than make up for that. Expand
  94. Mar 30, 2014
    True sequel to the first masterpiece,again great story,improved gameplay elements.(only backfire is the new weapon and skill system in my opinion,but its easy to overlook that).
    And what catched me is,that how the game feedbacks on your imported savegame,you backstory.
    PLAY THE FIRST GAME FIRST!!!!! MUST HAVE FOR EVERYONE. Looking foward for the third one which i will start next week.
    PLAY THE FIRST GAME FIRST!!!!!
    MUST HAVE FOR EVERYONE.
    Looking foward for the third one which i will start next week.
    And so far,the best optimized game i've seen.It runs so well on my old P4 that im amazed.

[spoiler] it is really satisfying to hear how are the rachni(just save them :D),to meet old friends,to get **** up by krogans.:D
    To look at the universe,and see what you made with your choices.(council or TV report from ME1.)
  95. Jul 31, 2012
    A true Sci-Fi game. With amazing visuals, music, writng, voice acting, and gameplay, a diverse cast of characters, a dark and mysterious plot. You can feel actual pressure for your decisions. Option of importing a character from ME1 is amazing.
  96. Jul 24, 2012
    This was the first Mass Effect game that I played, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like most Bioware RPGs, it featured above-average writing and character development. Throughout the game I felt invested in the story and the characters, who I grew to care about and (eventually) mourn their deaths. The gameplay in general was fun and the environments were interesting. My main complaint is thatThis was the first Mass Effect game that I played, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like most Bioware RPGs, it featured above-average writing and character development. Throughout the game I felt invested in the story and the characters, who I grew to care about and (eventually) mourn their deaths. The gameplay in general was fun and the environments were interesting. My main complaint is that there is little you can do to customize your characters: your main character can wear different armor pieces which are slightly different, and along the way you collect weapon upgrades which are automatic. The only real customization is in your talent points, but there are few of these and they do not generally affect gameplay as much as you might expect. I ended up taking these limitations with a grain of salt and just enjoyed blasting things instead, but I could see this being a significant setback for some players. Expand
  97. Jul 27, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 should be the game that sets the bar for all other games, from its amazing combat system to its interesting paragon/renegade effects i couldn't bring myself to stop playing it. Perhaps one of the greatest features of this game is that every shepard is different, not just aesthetically but in the advancements, weapons and classes. I spent close to 36 hours playing this gameMass Effect 2 should be the game that sets the bar for all other games, from its amazing combat system to its interesting paragon/renegade effects i couldn't bring myself to stop playing it. Perhaps one of the greatest features of this game is that every shepard is different, not just aesthetically but in the advancements, weapons and classes. I spent close to 36 hours playing this game with all the DLC and enjoyed every second of building up a squad and slowly playing through their loyalty missions in order to leave no one behind at the final mission. My only criticism is that it is it is less open world then it should be as after all you are given a galaxy to explore and yet can only walk around on a small number of them and 3/4 have no purpose other than mineral gathering. But overall the style of this game has one me over 9/10. Expand
  98. Nov 11, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is a modern day RPG masterpiece. From the story to the music, everything is pretty much near perfect. This is a must play for any RPG fan. ME2's development started right after EA acquired Bioware, but had a mostly hands off approach to the game.

ME1's main flaw was it's battle system. It was lackluster and needed improvement. Bioware decided to take the risk and incorporate a "real" FPS system in ME2. Well, that risk payed off bigtime in one of the best blockbuster RPG's of our time.

Other traditional RPG elements such as inventory management are eliminated helping to streamline your experiences. And you know what? It works, it fits. It helps you focus on more important, and more enjoyable things in the game. Having a simple upgrade system works much better.

ME2 takes the game to all new levels. A deeper, more interesting battle system. The character interactions are excellent. The development, the actions you take, the choices you make really do affect the outcome of this story.

As in Classic Star Wars fashion, the second movie raises the stakes even higher, is darker and more serious than ever. The real possibility of your teammates dying in the final, suicide mission was a brilliant move by Bioware. The game climaxes at the best point the end where you see all your work, all of your choices unfold, leaving some to the next and final part of the trilogy. The raise in tension is felt throughout the game, and drives the player forward.

The soundtrack is excellent and accurately reflects such high stakes.

ME2 really surpassed the bar for RPG's. It had me glued to the game. When I am glued to a game playing it every day from start to finish, I know its a hit.

Its just such a shame that it's sequel, ME3 was unfortunately a lackluster, rushed finish and a real letdown. Obviously, EA had involved themselves in the final game, which really screwed up ME3.

Most gamers will recognize ME2 as the real climax of the series and the best out of the 3.

99. Sep 2, 2012
    One of my all-time favorite PC Games ever. This is truly an epic video game with a wonderful story and beautiful graphics. There really aren't many games I enjoy replaying like this one. I have played through the game 3 times and each play through was literally as fun as the last. It really makes me sad because this is the one game I kind of wish would go on forever.
  100. Dec 24, 2013
    A masterpiece. Second best game Bioware made, after with Baldurs Gate II in mine opinion. Original Mass Effect was one of the best RPGs ever made, but ME 2 is even better.
  101. Oct 15, 2010

1. Mass Effect 2 resumes with pride the path opened by the first game. This sequel is a lesson of how things should be made.
  2. Mass Effect 2 delivers a story that's deeper than what many novelists are capable of, and its action is better than what most Hollywood directors are creating nowadays. It's an addictive, engrossing experience that many gamers will replay over and over while they hold their breath waiting for the third game.
  3. A brilliant mix of shooter and role-playing, filled with great characters, excellent design, lots of action and clever dialogue. It's a shame though that Bioware did not improve the inventory and skill system of the first game, but actually reduced it even more. I really wished there were more customization options, more ways to develop and gear up my characters. But all these are merely small points of criticism, since there is so much to feel and experience in this game. Mass Effect 2 is a thrilling, emotional ride and ultimately every bit as good as its predecessor.