Mass Effect 2 PC

8.7

1. AkiI
    Apr 7, 2010
    I haven't played a game as satisfying as ME2 in years, on keeping all it's promises and surpassing all expectations. A true roleplaying game, with choices you've made following you to the end, instead of just the hollow leveling. Makers of Fina Fantasy should play this game to learn how to write good and believable characters and outcomes.
  2. TomL.
    Jan 30, 2010
    I really wasn't sure whether to give this game an 8 or a 9, in the end I settled for an 8 because although the game works really well and I did enjoy probably en-par with the first (which I gave a 10 rating), there are just a number of issues that I just cant really look past and a number of other annoying elements that just prevent it from living up to imass effect 1 in eyes. first I really wasn't sure whether to give this game an 8 or a 9, in the end I settled for an 8 because although the game works really well and I did enjoy probably en-par with the first (which I gave a 10 rating), there are just a number of issues that I just cant really look past and a number of other annoying elements that just prevent it from living up to imass effect 1 in eyes. first on the list of my bigger issues with the game is customisation, yes I can make shepherd look like I would want him to look but what about my squad, what about my weapons, I found myself just using exactly the same weapon combo throughout most of the game and never even bothered changing my squads weapons because there just wern't the options to do it in a meaningful way. Another problem was that the game just didnt seem to flow as well as the first, bioware said that they wanted to make you always know where you were in the game but I personally don't think of more loading screens as the answer to this, the first one the lifts were annoying but they always kept YOU in the game, you could walk over ot the normandy and go inside on your own free will rather than have to rely on shuttles to always take you there. Now to move onto the small annoyances, firstly is this ammo system, didn't like it, cant say anything more other than that, on harder difficulties there just isn't enough ammo and no-matter how bioware try ot explain it in the backstory it just feels like technology has moved backwards. Continuity is my final moan, whether its nobody anywhere else outside the normandy caring that youve completed your 'suicide' mission after returning and talking to them if you choose to play on after the main storyline has finished, or if its the deranged survivors of a crashed spaceship that have been stranded for 10 years with no outside contact but still seem to have all the same 'up to date' technology that you have. It may seem that after all that I''ve said against it that a score of 8 is generous but I will sa that everything else that I havent moaned at the game does right, the story is good, team-mate interaction and backstories are integrated will and the missions do have a very good variety to them. default game controls were dreadfull so I had to retone them back to being as similar to me1 as I could. One final point is that the final mission just didnt feel as emotional as bioware had promised, on the contrary I found myself using biowares chosen method of player choice during this mission to bump off all the team members I didnt liek and ended up feeling quite pleased with myself about it so I wont say its a bad thing, just not what was promised. Definately worth getting but not as good as the first. Expand
  3. JayE
    Feb 13, 2010
    Great game! Better than the first in almost every way. The only major problem is the controls, thanks to [insert curse word here] consoles. There is no mouse wheel control at all (except weapon toggling), you can't double-click anything, even single clicking menu items wont do anything when you expect it to, which means that you end up clicking a menu item, then clicking the button Great game! Better than the first in almost every way. The only major problem is the controls, thanks to [insert curse word here] consoles. There is no mouse wheel control at all (except weapon toggling), you can't double-click anything, even single clicking menu items wont do anything when you expect it to, which means that you end up clicking a menu item, then clicking the button at the bottom.. repeat and rinse until clean. Plus you cant move left or right when you are sprinting, weapon selection is slow and tedious, general menu navigation delays, and other control related problems ruining the whole experience. But other than that, the game itself is great! Awesome story line and characters, interesting locations and missions, unlike the first game where planet exploration was repetitive and boring. One thing that does get tedious is the planet scanning. You need to spend 5 minutes scanning each globe to gather minerals for upgrades, which becomes quite tiresome after the tenth planet scan. Another problem is moving your character around in the levels. You end up "snapping" to cover when unexpected, and its a pain "unsnapping" from cover, and you tend to get stuck on corners for no apparent reason, and sometimes you become completely stuck in a wall, resulting in you having to reload the last save point. It would have gotten 10/10 if it wasn't riddled with consolitis. Expand
  4. Oct 30, 2011
    I didn't play the first Mass Effect so I came into this game not knowing most of the back story. But I felt like I knew the characters pretty quickly through good story telling and a fun plot. I really enjoyed the art, music and design of this game. The shooter aspect was fun and something different. There were some dull moments mining planets and equipping upgrades. I found myself notI didn't play the first Mass Effect so I came into this game not knowing most of the back story. But I felt like I knew the characters pretty quickly through good story telling and a fun plot. I really enjoyed the art, music and design of this game. The shooter aspect was fun and something different. There were some dull moments mining planets and equipping upgrades. I found myself not changing out my favorite party members very often because it wasn't really necessary. It wasn't a super deep or complex game but it worked very well. Expand
  5. Mar 22, 2012
    I quite enjoyed this game. It improved on ME1s combat and it was a great story as well. The customization of the weapons saddened me. Too few weapons, no way to improve via modifications. Also, I disliked the running. You couldn't run any other direction but straight, and you couldn't even run for too long. But none of this affected my score too much, if I could give a 9.5, I would. AndI quite enjoyed this game. It improved on ME1s combat and it was a great story as well. The customization of the weapons saddened me. Too few weapons, no way to improve via modifications. Also, I disliked the running. You couldn't run any other direction but straight, and you couldn't even run for too long. But none of this affected my score too much, if I could give a 9.5, I would. And despite these minor faults, the game was still an absolute blast to play. Expand
  6. Nov 22, 2012
    If you like RPGs this game is a must. Very nice story line combined with charismatic characters and a decent combat system mixing the engaging FPS style with the tactical RPG elements. The scenarios are small and linear but the game itself is so epic that I can't see myself giving it anything but a 9.

WARNING: Half or more of the game are dialogues and cut scenes, you can skip

WARNING: Half or more of the game are dialogues and cut scenes, you can skip everything if you want of course but the very essence of the game you won't experience if you do. ME2 isn't Counter Strike, RPG comes first, FPS second. Keep it in mind.
  7. Jul 31, 2012
    A true Sci-Fi game. With amazing visuals, music, writng, voice acting, and gameplay, a diverse cast of characters, a dark and mysterious plot. You can feel actual pressure for your decisions. Option of importing a character from ME1 is amazing.
  8. Sep 24, 2013
    Interesante y adictivo. Mejora mucho la historia con respecto a su predecesor, y ofrece otra perspectiva del universo Mass Effect. Es cierto que pierde elementos de rol (algo de lo que muchos se han quejado), pero no le doy importancia porque nunca consideré a esta saga "de rol". El primer Mass Effect ya me pareció más un "shooter" que otra cosa y este es una evolución un tanto lógica delInteresante y adictivo. Mejora mucho la historia con respecto a su predecesor, y ofrece otra perspectiva del universo Mass Effect. Es cierto que pierde elementos de rol (algo de lo que muchos se han quejado), pero no le doy importancia porque nunca consideré a esta saga "de rol". El primer Mass Effect ya me pareció más un "shooter" que otra cosa y este es una evolución un tanto lógica del estilo creado con el primer título. Expand
  9. Mar 6, 2014
    This game was my first in the Mass Effect series. Unfortunately I discovered the series way after it was popular. So at first I didn't know what the hub bub was about. If your new to the series at first it just seems a little flat. It seemed it was more about graphics and such. And the series seemed to be a more modern and not Star Wars universe rip off of KOTOR.

After you get playing

After you get playing you see what the series is about. It has a lot going for it. First it is a first person shooter for the average Joe. Then they throw in coordinated squad combat. They up the anti by giving you a character that can allow you to chose good or bad actions, as you choose without ruining the storyline. They wisely have you playing the title character but allow you to customize your story and looks. They also have you choose a class, but allow you to chose the way your character levels up. Which can greatly alter your game experience when you choose to replay the game.

Then they allow you to upgrade weapons, your ship and even choose how your squad mates level up. You can even just let your squad mates help you in fights or command them who to attack. But to make the game better they add mini games. Which just adds an entire new level of enjoyment to the game.

But the big draw is probably story. The game has a story line for you. You make choices that can affect the way your companions see you. And may subtly affect other aspects of the story. On top of that story you get other stories very much like the KOTOR series does.

In the end the game seems to take the best of the KOTOR series and change it up enough so that you have similarly great aspects. But with enough changes to make the system seem fresh and exciting.

Because you can choose to go in so many directions the game has great replay value. Certainly a game worth owning. And probably should be in any RPG fan's collection.
  10. Apr 1, 2014
    Loooooved the story,emotion is this game fuel.You feel responsable for every word,act,charachter and universe.Great job.My top 10 of all times is here.
  11. May 9, 2016
    I am assuming direct control of this review:

I am assuming direct control of this review:

BioWare’s first Mass Effect felt like a KOTOR clone. The universe was a place we wanted to live in, but there were too many systems and menus to dig through to get there. BioWare streamed back and watered down RPG mechanics and streamlined gameplay to put more emphasis on the shooting mechanics with the 2nd game of the saga. Turns out, it wasn't so bad after all: Mass Effect 2 trims just enough fat to let you focus on what matters: the optional Loyalty missions for your team.

Instead of an exercise in galactic exploration, Mass Effect 2 plays out like a sci-fi Ocean's Eleven or Dirty Dozen. Recruiting a team to take on the Collectors puts the focus on small, interesting stories. Each Loyalty mission gives you insight into your companions’ motivations, making every member of the Normandy's crew an unusually deep character. Once you've grown to know and love them, the endgame suicide run is one of the tensest final missions ever. It's rare for a game to spend more time on character arcs than its central driving narrative, but Mass Effect 2 pulls it off. This is some of the best writing in BioWare's history, and a deeply satisfying gaming experience.

The clunky controls with the usual catering to consoles drag down PC gameplay, Trying to determine how scale-itch got onto Normandy. Sexually-transmitted disease. Only carried by varren. Implications unpleasant.

Still 6 years later, Mass Effect 2 hold the line. So enjoy yourself while possible, Shepard. Will be here, replaying Mass Effect 2. Much simpler. Less alcohol and mood music required. Only BioWare could pull something like that, someone else might have gotten it wrong.

I rate 10 because it’s so easy to see the galaxy in black and white. Gray? I don’t know what to do with gray.
  12. F.D
    Feb 18, 2010
    Bioware - a powerhouse when it comes to Games. Quality games, especially for the PC, are hard to find nowadays. Mass Effect 2 vastly improves on the already epic Mass Effect, they have removed much of the unnecessary content that plagued Mass Effect and adjusted the controls and classes. Graphics are great and the dialogue is superb, feels like your inside a movie when playing the game. I Bioware - a powerhouse when it comes to Games. Quality games, especially for the PC, are hard to find nowadays. Mass Effect 2 vastly improves on the already epic Mass Effect, they have removed much of the unnecessary content that plagued Mass Effect and adjusted the controls and classes. Graphics are great and the dialogue is superb, feels like your inside a movie when playing the game. I also love the fact that the storyline evolves based on your actions. Great replay value also to experience all the different paths you can take. This game is worth the money it costs. Expand
  13. SvenP
    Mar 8, 2010
    One of the best games ever. The story and the Characters are the best on the PC at the moment. Only thing I have to critic is that there are no real RP elements like an inventory and the "skills" are lame.
  14. MetehanB.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Maybe it's a little bit different than a RPG, an Action-RPG, but still it's really the best made BioWare game, like they said =) My real score is 9.6 ;)
  15. StuartF
    Feb 26, 2010
    One of the best stories in an RPG for a long time. Coupled with a faster pace than a traditional RPG you are sucked right in and dragged along. With an ending dramatic enough for the movies you won't be disappointed playing it all the way through. But do take time out to explore and find the hidden missions in the outer systems. Team AI is on the whole pretty good, theres a few One of the best stories in an RPG for a long time. Coupled with a faster pace than a traditional RPG you are sucked right in and dragged along. With an ending dramatic enough for the movies you won't be disappointed playing it all the way through. But do take time out to explore and find the hidden missions in the outer systems. Team AI is on the whole pretty good, theres a few points where your squad gets stuck or runs forward like an idiot into a wall of bullets. But generous quantities of medi-gel make it more of a task just to revive them rather than a game breaking issue. For a PC release you really do feel this was developed for the consoles, lack of a basic screen shot function is very obvious. But the simplified interface leaves you more time to focus on enjoying the game and not just juggling stats. Expand
  16. Feb 28, 2012
    Bioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. GoBioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. Go buy this game now, as well as it's original incarnation! Expand
  17. Yaz
    Sep 5, 2010
    This game is great. The atmosphere makes up for a lack of variety in combat. I did not like the restrictive environments (you can't really go anywhere on the Citadel for example), but in general if you liked the first, you should give this one a chance. Planet scanning does suck though.
  18. Sep 5, 2010
    With attractive graphics, a fantastic score, convincing voice action and a compelling storyline, Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first game left off and will keep you playing late into the night. The second game has improved a few of the niggling gameplay issues in the first game, but still has a little room for improvement. It's easy to forgive any minor flaws in the game though, simplyWith attractive graphics, a fantastic score, convincing voice action and a compelling storyline, Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first game left off and will keep you playing late into the night. The second game has improved a few of the niggling gameplay issues in the first game, but still has a little room for improvement. It's easy to forgive any minor flaws in the game though, simply because of its finesse and style overall. The Mass Effect games so far have been two of the most evocative titles released in the last 5 years. If you've played the first game, you probably already bought the second. If you've played neither, start now. Expand
  19. Oct 15, 2010
    Ok, so i've had this game since it came out. Beat it twice- Once time Good- One time doing what i would do in real life. So, the Good: Great Graphics - Superb Story Line - Great Characters The Bad - The RPG elements have been downgraded from ME1. It just doesn't feel the same, strategic feel, of the first ME. I can just run around pressing (spacebar) on everything. With that aside, onlyOk, so i've had this game since it came out. Beat it twice- Once time Good- One time doing what i would do in real life. So, the Good: Great Graphics - Superb Story Line - Great Characters The Bad - The RPG elements have been downgraded from ME1. It just doesn't feel the same, strategic feel, of the first ME. I can just run around pressing (spacebar) on everything. With that aside, only small glitches in acting/voice appear rarely. I've had only 2 problems like this since it came out - 1) Miranda -on her loyalty mission- was floating above us when we came out of the elevator. 2) The sound of cars (In Lair of The Shadow Broker) kept continuing after i crashed the detective, and fought her guards. So, besides the RPG elements and rare glitches, this is a very, very good game. With the captivating story line, and stunning graphics, i only wonder how they will beat this with ME3 (It IS a trilogy, and ME3 WILL come out, in-case some of you did not know). The only thing they could've done better, was tone up the RPG element, which i believe they will do in ME3. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking about getting it. Expand
  20. Oct 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are too many good things in this game to list them all, which is fitting since the question isn't "What is good about this game". The question is "What ISN'T good about this game", and the most i can come up with (after playing it many times) is the mining mini game. This is the only part of the game that is seriously lack luster. The last boss was also a slightly disappointing climax, and an illogical overall "evil scheme" made by the bad guys in ME2.

That said, there are flaws in all games, however compared to the first mass effect (and many other RPGs), Mass Effect 2 is the closest I've seen to a perfect game in the recent decade ever since the first xbox and the N64 was put out of commission.

Overall, it is an excellent game and a testament to the fact that Bioware remains on the cutting edge of western RPGs, and further solidifies themselves as a world renown game developer
  21. Nov 21, 2010
    A really excellent game. The story is very good, and the outcome of the game can vary dramatically depending on your actions, which I find to be a big plus. The characters are very interesting and fun to interact with. The connection with the previous game and promise of more to come in the sequel feel like a real plus, as opposed to just a marketing gimmick. There are a few very minorA really excellent game. The story is very good, and the outcome of the game can vary dramatically depending on your actions, which I find to be a big plus. The characters are very interesting and fun to interact with. The connection with the previous game and promise of more to come in the sequel feel like a real plus, as opposed to just a marketing gimmick. There are a few very minor things that bugged me and keep my rating at a 9 instead of 10, but I still think this game is well worth buying for anyone who enjoys RPGs at all. Expand
  22. Nov 26, 2010
    One of the best games I've ever played, right up there with Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 4. I don't generally like 3rd person shooters, but Bioware did a great job on it. Game play is very engrossing and story line is quite good (though not the best).
  23. Dec 31, 2011
    There are non-stop complains about mass effect 2 after its release. I, for one, genuinely believe this game is a ground breaking game that beautifully combined shooter gameplay with a role playing storyline and it's also the best game Bioware offered so far after Baldur's Gate series. The most problems people complained at are actually what makes mass effect 2 truly shine. I understand dieThere are non-stop complains about mass effect 2 after its release. I, for one, genuinely believe this game is a ground breaking game that beautifully combined shooter gameplay with a role playing storyline and it's also the best game Bioware offered so far after Baldur's Gate series. The most problems people complained at are actually what makes mass effect 2 truly shine. I understand die hard RPG fans are very hard to please, but the game has to evolve to get better. Mass Effect 2 did it and did it brilliantly. First, the removal of redundant inventory makes mass effect 2 a very well paced game. One of major bad design in mass effect is its painful inventory system. so you are a distinguish soldier and a spectre and you still have to kill mobs to loot better weapons and armors or sell those stuff for credits? why the council does not supply the best gears and funds to you? Also, dont you feel weird that a human being can carry dozens of guns and armors with him. Mass Effect 2 did it right, shepard can only carry several guns on mission and every weapon you start with is still viable in later game, also you get funds directly from Cerberus. Those changes are made for better experience. One thing I do miss is the weapon mods. they could do it like deus ex that gives a small and limited space to store some extra stuff. Second, character development is still a huge part of gameplay and the skills and abilities are still necessary for combat and social especially when mass effect 2's shooting mechanics is actually not that great. Some people think that role-playing means running around for meaningless side quests (mass effect 1 comes to mind) and keeping track of stats. I would those are not what defines role playing game. Mass Effect 2 gives the player the true immersion that you can expect from a role playing story line. That means taking a role and feel your role not plodding with meaningless exploration and stats. Expand
  24. Mar 13, 2011
    Very fun game. Deserved GOTY on IGN.

Good: Loved the first one, second one's storyline was epic too. Soundtrack epic. Voice acting epic. Beautiful worlds. Graphics were decent. Problems: mining is bad. not enough RPG elements. AI squadmates are slightly annoying.
  25. Mar 25, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 improves on many areas of its predecessor, which is no mean feat. The majority of the storyline is enjoyable and continues on from where Mass Effect left off, but it starts off poorly and in an almost unnecessary way. However, the path the story takes; spending 90% of the game recruiting your team is a disappointing way to spend your time. The core storyline missions howeverMass Effect 2 improves on many areas of its predecessor, which is no mean feat. The majority of the storyline is enjoyable and continues on from where Mass Effect left off, but it starts off poorly and in an almost unnecessary way. However, the path the story takes; spending 90% of the game recruiting your team is a disappointing way to spend your time. The core storyline missions however are fun and challenging. It was great to see that Bioware have learnt from some of the mistakes they made in Mass Effect 1; mostly the boring and repetitive Mako missions and extremely repetitive side quests where you enter the same bunker 100â Expand
  26. Apr 9, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 has a good if not the best story in a game i have ever seen and there for the story is also the main selling point. The gameplay is not Super but it is ok. I would give it 9,5 if i could. But now its 10. Its my favorite game.
  27. Apr 14, 2011
    I have spend above a 100 hours in mass effect 2, so you might as well ask yourself why I dont give this game a perfect 10. Its quite simply really, there are some small flaws. I will try to explain them, but know the game is really an extremely well designed experience. With that said; I find there are two flaws in this game. First, the number of comrades you pick up in the game is toI have spend above a 100 hours in mass effect 2, so you might as well ask yourself why I dont give this game a perfect 10. Its quite simply really, there are some small flaws. I will try to explain them, but know the game is really an extremely well designed experience. With that said; I find there are two flaws in this game. First, the number of comrades you pick up in the game is to large. Now, you might ask why this could possibly be a problem. This is quite simple, all of them have a "loyalty quest" - and with so many comrades all the sidequests feel a disconnected to the main plot. Add to this that with so many comrades, you never get a special feeling for any of the comrades - like you did in the first mass effect where you had a more limited number of them. Its a shame really.

The second flaw, is the whole weapon system. This problem is more compounded by several smaller issues. First off is the "new and improved" ammo system, which blows to be honest. The first game had a heatcooldown system, which was actually fine. Now you have what they call "heat clips" that are universal, yet you cant shift them between the your weapons - this is just plain odd. besides the weapon selection is dumbed down to much. You have a severely limited amount of weapontypes to choose from, and the way you upgrade and find them feel.... well to be honest, mildly retarded. But even though the games have these flaws, I will still rate it a 9 for the solid script, plot and surperb gameplay.

Score (9.0)
  28. May 11, 2011
    The most re playable out of any game I have ever owned, far too much fun I cant wait for the third installment. I do hope that they add more RPG element to 3 like more customizable weapons (like in ME1) and armor. And maybe even more powers for biotics. either way I'm looking forward to ME3
  29. May 13, 2015
    Excellent game. Developed characters, epic story, interesting plot. However, i must point out - i feel that the decision between good and bad choices (Paragon vs Renegade) affects the progression of the game in no way whatsoever. Yes, if your Paragon (goodness) is high enough, locked options will become available to you in dialogues; but as to the effect on the overall story - whetherExcellent game. Developed characters, epic story, interesting plot. However, i must point out - i feel that the decision between good and bad choices (Paragon vs Renegade) affects the progression of the game in no way whatsoever. Yes, if your Paragon (goodness) is high enough, locked options will become available to you in dialogues; but as to the effect on the overall story - whether you are an angel or a bad ass - has no effect whatsoever. I wish in some way it did, and an alternative path could be taken by a Renegade than the paragon fan. It is not the case, unfortunately. The rhythm of the game is, too, a little bit off - it seems every character (from your gathered team) waits until the very end of the game, to pour his entire life's story on you. Very anti-climatic, considering how the ending picks up the pacing of the story. These are the only negatives i have for this game - otherwise, a solid blockbuster for me! Enjoyed highly! Expand
  30. Sep 16, 2011
    I was impressed by ME1 and when i see the first reviews of ME2 i was sure it will get 10 from me. Unfortunately, reality was brutal. Why BioWare removed sightseeing the planets and substitiuted this dull minigame? Why there's no many weapons and armors? For me, ME2 is a step back.
  31. Oct 6, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a well-written game whose experience may be hindered by the surprisingly-linear level design. However the game does allow you to make certain choices when it comes to speaking with people which largely affects the outcome of the story. Also, the gameplay might not have as many RPG elements as its predecessor, but it works as a solid shooter in an over-saturated market ofMass Effect 2 is a well-written game whose experience may be hindered by the surprisingly-linear level design. However the game does allow you to make certain choices when it comes to speaking with people which largely affects the outcome of the story. Also, the gameplay might not have as many RPG elements as its predecessor, but it works as a solid shooter in an over-saturated market of modern military shooters i.e. Call of Duty. Visuals are gorgeous too. Between the highly-detailed environments and use of lighting, you might feel like you're watching J.J. Abrams' very own space opera. Definitely check this one out if you haven't already. Collapse

1. Mass Effect 2 resumes with pride the path opened by the first game. This sequel is a lesson of how things should be made.
  2. Mass Effect 2 delivers a story that's deeper than what many novelists are capable of, and its action is better than what most Hollywood directors are creating nowadays. It's an addictive, engrossing experience that many gamers will replay over and over while they hold their breath waiting for the third game.
  3. A brilliant mix of shooter and role-playing, filled with great characters, excellent design, lots of action and clever dialogue. It's a shame though that Bioware did not improve the inventory and skill system of the first game, but actually reduced it even more. I really wished there were more customization options, more ways to develop and gear up my characters. But all these are merely small points of criticism, since there is so much to feel and experience in this game. Mass Effect 2 is a thrilling, emotional ride and ultimately every bit as good as its predecessor.