8.7

1. AkiI
    Apr 7, 2010
    I haven't played a game as satisfying as ME2 in years, on keeping all it's promises and surpassing all expectations. A true roleplaying game, with choices you've made following you to the end, instead of just the hollow leveling. Makers of Fina Fantasy should play this game to learn how to write good and believable characters and outcomes.
  2. JayE
    Feb 13, 2010
    Great game! Better than the first in almost every way. The only major problem is the controls, thanks to [insert curse word here] consoles. There is no mouse wheel control at all (except weapon toggling), you can't double-click anything, even single clicking menu items wont do anything when you expect it to, which means that you end up clicking a menu item, then clicking the button Great game! Better than the first in almost every way. The only major problem is the controls, thanks to [insert curse word here] consoles. There is no mouse wheel control at all (except weapon toggling), you can't double-click anything, even single clicking menu items wont do anything when you expect it to, which means that you end up clicking a menu item, then clicking the button at the bottom.. repeat and rinse until clean. Plus you cant move left or right when you are sprinting, weapon selection is slow and tedious, general menu navigation delays, and other control related problems ruining the whole experience. But other than that, the game itself is great! Awesome story line and characters, interesting locations and missions, unlike the first game where planet exploration was repetitive and boring. One thing that does get tedious is the planet scanning. You need to spend 5 minutes scanning each globe to gather minerals for upgrades, which becomes quite tiresome after the tenth planet scan. Another problem is moving your character around in the levels. You end up "snapping" to cover when unexpected, and its a pain "unsnapping" from cover, and you tend to get stuck on corners for no apparent reason, and sometimes you become completely stuck in a wall, resulting in you having to reload the last save point. It would have gotten 10/10 if it wasn't riddled with consolitis. Expand
  3. Oct 30, 2011
    I didn't play the first Mass Effect so I came into this game not knowing most of the back story. But I felt like I knew the characters pretty quickly through good story telling and a fun plot. I really enjoyed the art, music and design of this game. The shooter aspect was fun and something different. There were some dull moments mining planets and equipping upgrades. I found myself notI didn't play the first Mass Effect so I came into this game not knowing most of the back story. But I felt like I knew the characters pretty quickly through good story telling and a fun plot. I really enjoyed the art, music and design of this game. The shooter aspect was fun and something different. There were some dull moments mining planets and equipping upgrades. I found myself not changing out my favorite party members very often because it wasn't really necessary. It wasn't a super deep or complex game but it worked very well. Expand
  4. Mar 13, 2012
    I love that game. I have beaten it few times now, which is a lot for a 30 hours long game. I guess that says everything. As much as it could be better game and it could incorporate your choices in more distinctive way (they are mainly one-liners in dialogue), It still has lovable universe, great plot line, rewarding gameplay and it is a "Star Wars saga of Games".
  5. Mar 22, 2012
    I quite enjoyed this game. It improved on ME1s combat and it was a great story as well. The customization of the weapons saddened me. Too few weapons, no way to improve via modifications. Also, I disliked the running. You couldn't run any other direction but straight, and you couldn't even run for too long. But none of this affected my score too much, if I could give a 9.5, I would. AndI quite enjoyed this game. It improved on ME1s combat and it was a great story as well. The customization of the weapons saddened me. Too few weapons, no way to improve via modifications. Also, I disliked the running. You couldn't run any other direction but straight, and you couldn't even run for too long. But none of this affected my score too much, if I could give a 9.5, I would. And despite these minor faults, the game was still an absolute blast to play. Expand
  6. Mar 6, 2014
    This game was my first in the Mass Effect series. Unfortunately I discovered the series way after it was popular. So at first I didn't know what the hub bub was about. If your new to the series at first it just seems a little flat. It seemed it was more about graphics and such. And the series seemed to be a more modern and not Star Wars universe rip off of KOTOR.

After you get playing

After you get playing you see what the series is about. It has a lot going for it. First it is a first person shooter for the average Joe. Then they throw in coordinated squad combat. They up the anti by giving you a character that can allow you to chose good or bad actions, as you choose without ruining the storyline. They wisely have you playing the title character but allow you to customize your story and looks. They also have you choose a class, but allow you to chose the way your character levels up. Which can greatly alter your game experience when you choose to replay the game.

Then they allow you to upgrade weapons, your ship and even choose how your squad mates level up. You can even just let your squad mates help you in fights or command them who to attack. But to make the game better they add mini games. Which just adds an entire new level of enjoyment to the game.

But the big draw is probably story. The game has a story line for you. You make choices that can affect the way your companions see you. And may subtly affect other aspects of the story. On top of that story you get other stories very much like the KOTOR series does.

In the end the game seems to take the best of the KOTOR series and change it up enough so that you have similarly great aspects. But with enough changes to make the system seem fresh and exciting.

Because you can choose to go in so many directions the game has great replay value. Certainly a game worth owning. And probably should be in any RPG fan's collection.
  7. F.D
    Feb 18, 2010
    Bioware - a powerhouse when it comes to Games. Quality games, especially for the PC, are hard to find nowadays. Mass Effect 2 vastly improves on the already epic Mass Effect, they have removed much of the unnecessary content that plagued Mass Effect and adjusted the controls and classes. Graphics are great and the dialogue is superb, feels like your inside a movie when playing the game. I Bioware - a powerhouse when it comes to Games. Quality games, especially for the PC, are hard to find nowadays. Mass Effect 2 vastly improves on the already epic Mass Effect, they have removed much of the unnecessary content that plagued Mass Effect and adjusted the controls and classes. Graphics are great and the dialogue is superb, feels like your inside a movie when playing the game. I also love the fact that the storyline evolves based on your actions. Great replay value also to experience all the different paths you can take. This game is worth the money it costs. Expand
  8. SvenP
    Mar 8, 2010
    One of the best games ever. The story and the Characters are the best on the PC at the moment. Only thing I have to critic is that there are no real RP elements like an inventory and the "skills" are lame.
  9. MetehanB.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Maybe it's a little bit different than a RPG, an Action-RPG, but still it's really the best made BioWare game, like they said =) My real score is 9.6 ;)
  10. StuartF
    Feb 26, 2010
    One of the best stories in an RPG for a long time. Coupled with a faster pace than a traditional RPG you are sucked right in and dragged along. With an ending dramatic enough for the movies you won't be disappointed playing it all the way through. But do take time out to explore and find the hidden missions in the outer systems. Team AI is on the whole pretty good, theres a few One of the best stories in an RPG for a long time. Coupled with a faster pace than a traditional RPG you are sucked right in and dragged along. With an ending dramatic enough for the movies you won't be disappointed playing it all the way through. But do take time out to explore and find the hidden missions in the outer systems. Team AI is on the whole pretty good, theres a few points where your squad gets stuck or runs forward like an idiot into a wall of bullets. But generous quantities of medi-gel make it more of a task just to revive them rather than a game breaking issue. For a PC release you really do feel this was developed for the consoles, lack of a basic screen shot function is very obvious. But the simplified interface leaves you more time to focus on enjoying the game and not just juggling stats. Expand
  11. Feb 28, 2012
    Bioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. GoBioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. Go buy this game now, as well as it's original incarnation! Expand
  12. Yaz
    Sep 5, 2010
    This game is great. The atmosphere makes up for a lack of variety in combat. I did not like the restrictive environments (you can't really go anywhere on the Citadel for example), but in general if you liked the first, you should give this one a chance. Planet scanning does suck though.
  13. Sep 5, 2010
    With attractive graphics, a fantastic score, convincing voice action and a compelling storyline, Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first game left off and will keep you playing late into the night. The second game has improved a few of the niggling gameplay issues in the first game, but still has a little room for improvement. It's easy to forgive any minor flaws in the game though, simplyWith attractive graphics, a fantastic score, convincing voice action and a compelling storyline, Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first game left off and will keep you playing late into the night. The second game has improved a few of the niggling gameplay issues in the first game, but still has a little room for improvement. It's easy to forgive any minor flaws in the game though, simply because of its finesse and style overall. The Mass Effect games so far have been two of the most evocative titles released in the last 5 years. If you've played the first game, you probably already bought the second. If you've played neither, start now. Expand
  14. Oct 15, 2010
    Ok, so i've had this game since it came out. Beat it twice- Once time Good- One time doing what i would do in real life. So, the Good: Great Graphics - Superb Story Line - Great Characters The Bad - The RPG elements have been downgraded from ME1. It just doesn't feel the same, strategic feel, of the first ME. I can just run around pressing (spacebar) on everything. With that aside, onlyOk, so i've had this game since it came out. Beat it twice- Once time Good- One time doing what i would do in real life. So, the Good: Great Graphics - Superb Story Line - Great Characters The Bad - The RPG elements have been downgraded from ME1. It just doesn't feel the same, strategic feel, of the first ME. I can just run around pressing (spacebar) on everything. With that aside, only small glitches in acting/voice appear rarely. I've had only 2 problems like this since it came out - 1) Miranda -on her loyalty mission- was floating above us when we came out of the elevator. 2) The sound of cars (In Lair of The Shadow Broker) kept continuing after i crashed the detective, and fought her guards. So, besides the RPG elements and rare glitches, this is a very, very good game. With the captivating story line, and stunning graphics, i only wonder how they will beat this with ME3 (It IS a trilogy, and ME3 WILL come out, in-case some of you did not know). The only thing they could've done better, was tone up the RPG element, which i believe they will do in ME3. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking about getting it. Expand
  15. Oct 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are too many good things in this game to list them all, which is fitting since the question isn't "What is good about this game". The question is "What ISN'T good about this game", and the most i can come up with (after playing it many times) is the mining mini game. This is the only part of the game that is seriously lack luster. The last boss was also a slightly disappointing climax, and an illogical overall "evil scheme" made by the bad guys in ME2.

That said, there are flaws in all games, however compared to the first mass effect (and many other RPGs), Mass Effect 2 is the closest I've seen to a perfect game in the recent decade ever since the first xbox and the N64 was put out of commission.

Overall, it is an excellent game and a testament to the fact that Bioware remains on the cutting edge of western RPGs, and further solidifies themselves as a world renown game developer
  16. Nov 21, 2010
    A really excellent game. The story is very good, and the outcome of the game can vary dramatically depending on your actions, which I find to be a big plus. The characters are very interesting and fun to interact with. The connection with the previous game and promise of more to come in the sequel feel like a real plus, as opposed to just a marketing gimmick. There are a few very minorA really excellent game. The story is very good, and the outcome of the game can vary dramatically depending on your actions, which I find to be a big plus. The characters are very interesting and fun to interact with. The connection with the previous game and promise of more to come in the sequel feel like a real plus, as opposed to just a marketing gimmick. There are a few very minor things that bugged me and keep my rating at a 9 instead of 10, but I still think this game is well worth buying for anyone who enjoys RPGs at all. Expand
  17. Nov 26, 2010
    One of the best games I've ever played, right up there with Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 4. I don't generally like 3rd person shooters, but Bioware did a great job on it. Game play is very engrossing and story line is quite good (though not the best).
  18. Mar 13, 2011
    Very fun game. Deserved GOTY on IGN.

Good: Loved the first one, second one's storyline was epic too. Soundtrack epic. Voice acting epic. Beautiful worlds. Graphics were decent. Problems: mining is bad. not enough RPG elements. AI squadmates are slightly annoying.
  19. Mar 25, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 improves on many areas of its predecessor, which is no mean feat. The majority of the storyline is enjoyable and continues on from where Mass Effect left off, but it starts off poorly and in an almost unnecessary way. However, the path the story takes; spending 90% of the game recruiting your team is a disappointing way to spend your time. The core storyline missions howeverMass Effect 2 improves on many areas of its predecessor, which is no mean feat. The majority of the storyline is enjoyable and continues on from where Mass Effect left off, but it starts off poorly and in an almost unnecessary way. However, the path the story takes; spending 90% of the game recruiting your team is a disappointing way to spend your time. The core storyline missions however are fun and challenging. It was great to see that Bioware have learnt from some of the mistakes they made in Mass Effect 1; mostly the boring and repetitive Mako missions and extremely repetitive side quests where you enter the same bunker 100â Expand
  20. Apr 9, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 has a good if not the best story in a game i have ever seen and there for the story is also the main selling point. The gameplay is not Super but it is ok. I would give it 9,5 if i could. But now its 10. Its my favorite game.
  21. Apr 14, 2011
    I have spend above a 100 hours in mass effect 2, so you might as well ask yourself why I dont give this game a perfect 10. Its quite simply really, there are some small flaws. I will try to explain them, but know the game is really an extremely well designed experience. With that said; I find there are two flaws in this game. First, the number of comrades you pick up in the game is toI have spend above a 100 hours in mass effect 2, so you might as well ask yourself why I dont give this game a perfect 10. Its quite simply really, there are some small flaws. I will try to explain them, but know the game is really an extremely well designed experience. With that said; I find there are two flaws in this game. First, the number of comrades you pick up in the game is to large. Now, you might ask why this could possibly be a problem. This is quite simple, all of them have a "loyalty quest" - and with so many comrades all the sidequests feel a disconnected to the main plot. Add to this that with so many comrades, you never get a special feeling for any of the comrades - like you did in the first mass effect where you had a more limited number of them. Its a shame really.

The second flaw, is the whole weapon system. This problem is more compounded by several smaller issues. First off is the "new and improved" ammo system, which blows to be honest. The first game had a heatcooldown system, which was actually fine. Now you have what they call "heat clips" that are universal, yet you cant shift them between the your weapons - this is just plain odd. besides the weapon selection is dumbed down to much. You have a severely limited amount of weapontypes to choose from, and the way you upgrade and find them feel.... well to be honest, mildly retarded. But even though the games have these flaws, I will still rate it a 9 for the solid script, plot and surperb gameplay.

Score (9.0)
  22. May 11, 2011
    The most re playable out of any game I have ever owned, far too much fun I cant wait for the third installment. I do hope that they add more RPG element to 3 like more customizable weapons (like in ME1) and armor. And maybe even more powers for biotics. either way I'm looking forward to ME3
  23. Mar 17, 2012
    This game is simply "Michal Bay" style production. You could call the game... limited. I do. But I still can appreciate that the way story is told is really amazing. And I mean REALLY. It is worth playing just for seeing it, feeling the loud sound while watching incredible camera doing. Even when I prefer game to be "a game", ME2 still has it's place. And I would recommend it for anyoneThis game is simply "Michal Bay" style production. You could call the game... limited. I do. But I still can appreciate that the way story is told is really amazing. And I mean REALLY. It is worth playing just for seeing it, feeling the loud sound while watching incredible camera doing. Even when I prefer game to be "a game", ME2 still has it's place. And I would recommend it for anyone who hesitated playing this because "it is bad game" comments but still can feel something special watching trailers like Skyrim's or DXHR's over and over :) You will love ME2 in the same way :) Expand
  24. Jan 10, 2014
    Mass Effect trilogy has been One of most polished Storytelling Action Graphics and Gameplay combined in one. Apart from the Final Ending Controversy in Mass Effect 3 This is one of the most played and loved RPGs adventures to date. I would have to say if new to series than Please Play in Sequence. Mass Effect 2 is probably the best of series. A game which will make you finish that next bitMass Effect trilogy has been One of most polished Storytelling Action Graphics and Gameplay combined in one. Apart from the Final Ending Controversy in Mass Effect 3 This is one of the most played and loved RPGs adventures to date. I would have to say if new to series than Please Play in Sequence. Mass Effect 2 is probably the best of series. A game which will make you finish that next bit of story everytime Expand
  25. Feb 19, 2012
    This game is well written, has a good variety of options and while I can agree it did get simplified slightly from the first one, I can't say those are bad things. This game was very enjoyable in all facets - story, amazing music, game play, leveling, everything is interesting and fun. They did a great job with the game and the only thing keeping me from giving it a 10 is that parts ofThis game is well written, has a good variety of options and while I can agree it did get simplified slightly from the first one, I can't say those are bad things. This game was very enjoyable in all facets - story, amazing music, game play, leveling, everything is interesting and fun. They did a great job with the game and the only thing keeping me from giving it a 10 is that parts of it felt a little rushed, it was mildly buggy at times, and it was abused with some rather stupid DLC .. weapons/armor packs anyone? That's EA at work, though, not Bioware. God, I hate EA so much. Everything they touch is tainted with bad, greedy marketing and the taint of stockholders who care more about profits this year than long term. Expand
  26. Aug 25, 2012
    Let's start with the good points of the game. The combat has been vastly improved and is now way better. The characters are great, they're all unique and have a good backstory to them. The story is... ok for the most part, a bit stupid and nonsensical here and there but it's nothing big. Now for the bad: exploration is completely gone. Instead of improving it like they did with the combatLet's start with the good points of the game. The combat has been vastly improved and is now way better. The characters are great, they're all unique and have a good backstory to them. The story is... ok for the most part, a bit stupid and nonsensical here and there but it's nothing big. Now for the bad: exploration is completely gone. Instead of improving it like they did with the combat they just removed it completely. The replacement for it, the mining game, is not any better. The galaxy seems smaller now but the multitude of hub worlds sort of fills in the gap left by it. They also removed the inventory system (which was very bad in ME1) and replaced it with an upgrade system. It's good but it still would've been better to have an inventory. Conclusion: Small problems here and there but the good parts outweigh them. 9/10 Expand
  27. Jul 31, 2012
    A true Sci-Fi game. With amazing visuals, music, writng, voice acting, and gameplay, a diverse cast of characters, a dark and mysterious plot. You can feel actual pressure for your decisions. Option of importing a character from ME1 is amazing.
  28. Jul 24, 2012
    This was the first Mass Effect game that I played, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like most Bioware RPGs, it featured above-average writing and character development. Throughout the game I felt invested in the story and the characters, who I grew to care about and (eventually) mourn their deaths. The gameplay in general was fun and the environments were interesting. My main complaint is thatThis was the first Mass Effect game that I played, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like most Bioware RPGs, it featured above-average writing and character development. Throughout the game I felt invested in the story and the characters, who I grew to care about and (eventually) mourn their deaths. The gameplay in general was fun and the environments were interesting. My main complaint is that there is little you can do to customize your characters: your main character can wear different armor pieces which are slightly different, and along the way you collect weapon upgrades which are automatic. The only real customization is in your talent points, but there are few of these and they do not generally affect gameplay as much as you might expect. I ended up taking these limitations with a grain of salt and just enjoyed blasting things instead, but I could see this being a significant setback for some players. Expand
  29. Jul 27, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 should be the game that sets the bar for all other games, from its amazing combat system to its interesting paragon/renegade effects i couldn't bring myself to stop playing it. Perhaps one of the greatest features of this game is that every shepard is different, not just aesthetically but in the advancements, weapons and classes. I spent close to 36 hours playing this gameMass Effect 2 should be the game that sets the bar for all other games, from its amazing combat system to its interesting paragon/renegade effects i couldn't bring myself to stop playing it. Perhaps one of the greatest features of this game is that every shepard is different, not just aesthetically but in the advancements, weapons and classes. I spent close to 36 hours playing this game with all the DLC and enjoyed every second of building up a squad and slowly playing through their loyalty missions in order to leave no one behind at the final mission. My only criticism is that it is it is less open world then it should be as after all you are given a galaxy to explore and yet can only walk around on a small number of them and 3/4 have no purpose other than mineral gathering. But overall the style of this game has one me over 9/10. Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is a modern day RPG masterpiece. From the story to the music, everything is pretty much near perfect. This is a must play for any RPG fan. ME2's development started right after EA acquired Bioware, but had a mostly hands off approach to the game.

ME1's main flaw was it's battle system. It was lackluster and needed improvement. Bioware decided to take the risk and incorporate a "real" FPS system in ME2. Well, that risk payed off bigtime in one of the best blockbuster RPG's of our time.

Other traditional RPG elements such as inventory management are eliminated helping to streamline your experiences. And you know what? It works, it fits. It helps you focus on more important, and more enjoyable things in the game. Having a simple upgrade system works much better.

ME2 takes the game to all new levels. A deeper, more interesting battle system. The character interactions are excellent. The development, the actions you take, the choices you make really do affect the outcome of this story.

As in Classic Star Wars fashion, the second movie raises the stakes even higher, is darker and more serious than ever. The real possibility of your teammates dying in the final, suicide mission was a brilliant move by Bioware. The game climaxes at the best point the end where you see all your work, all of your choices unfold, leaving some to the next and final part of the trilogy. The raise in tension is felt throughout the game, and drives the player forward.

The soundtrack is excellent and accurately reflects such high stakes.

ME2 really surpassed the bar for RPG's. It had me glued to the game. When I am glued to a game playing it every day from start to finish, I know its a hit.

Its just such a shame that it's sequel, ME3 was unfortunately a lackluster, rushed finish and a real letdown. Obviously, EA had involved themselves in the final game, which really screwed up ME3.

Most gamers will recognize ME2 as the real climax of the series and the best out of the 3.

31. Nov 12, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is the perfect evolution in the Mass Effect series. It's bigger, bolder and more polished. The gunplay is more refined and more enjoyable than Mass Effect 1. Graphics are amazing as well as the sound. The only downside is the lack of emphasis on RPG aspects. If you enjoyed inventory management, huge range of powers, upgrading individual guns in Mass Effect, they are nowhereMass Effect 2 is the perfect evolution in the Mass Effect series. It's bigger, bolder and more polished. The gunplay is more refined and more enjoyable than Mass Effect 1. Graphics are amazing as well as the sound. The only downside is the lack of emphasis on RPG aspects. If you enjoyed inventory management, huge range of powers, upgrading individual guns in Mass Effect, they are nowhere to be found in Mass Effect 2. In a sense, this makes the series more accessible. Mass Effect 2 contains even more hard choices than its previous installment. A must play for any Mass Effect or shooter fan with a superb story! Collapse

1. Mass Effect 2 resumes with pride the path opened by the first game. This sequel is a lesson of how things should be made.
  2. Mass Effect 2 delivers a story that's deeper than what many novelists are capable of, and its action is better than what most Hollywood directors are creating nowadays. It's an addictive, engrossing experience that many gamers will replay over and over while they hold their breath waiting for the third game.
  3. A brilliant mix of shooter and role-playing, filled with great characters, excellent design, lots of action and clever dialogue. It's a shame though that Bioware did not improve the inventory and skill system of the first game, but actually reduced it even more. I really wished there were more customization options, more ways to develop and gear up my characters. But all these are merely small points of criticism, since there is so much to feel and experience in this game. Mass Effect 2 is a thrilling, emotional ride and ultimately every bit as good as its predecessor.