Mass Effect 2 PC

8.7

1. Oct 30, 2015
    This is to date my favorite game , it has almost everything, excellent voice acting and characters that make care about them, decisions to make that will affect the ending, the normandy and its crew, but the most important thing is the history and is top notch, also the missions ,locations and soundtrack are inmersive and very very good.
  2. Nov 7, 2013
    Without a doubt the best series i've ever come to play! So much replay value! Its insane and I can't describe it enough. THIS IS A MUST BUY AND PLAY EXPERIENCE. Trust me on this!

Pros:
    Just... wow (useless pros. I know :v)
    Story and characters are so well done!

Cons:
    Combat can get a little linear
    No coop
  3. Oct 1, 2014
    For the most part, Mass Effect 2 improves on it's predecessor in every way, from the combat to the squad characters and production values, ME2 gives the player a customizable cinematic experience. The game has some small flaws, such as bugged quests and the mining mechanic which can become tedious, although it's a fun diversion the first few times. The enemy variety is a little lessFor the most part, Mass Effect 2 improves on it's predecessor in every way, from the combat to the squad characters and production values, ME2 gives the player a customizable cinematic experience. The game has some small flaws, such as bugged quests and the mining mechanic which can become tedious, although it's a fun diversion the first few times. The enemy variety is a little less diverse than ME1, but it fits with the narrative and the shift from un peacekeeper to corporate mercenary. The end game, while dramatic, can be frustrating as keeping your crew alive isn't overtly explained, although through trial and error given the proper precautions it can easily be done. Although it follows some sci-fi tropes, it feels fresh enough to warrant exploring its universe, and stands up just fine on its own. Expand
  4. Sep 9, 2014
    I only have one word: Masterpiece! There is no other way to describe this game.

I only have one word: Masterpiece! There is no other way to describe this game.

Especially, and I can't stress this enough, if you have been continuing from Mass Effect 1. If you haven't, you're missing out. Granted, there is the Genesis DLC which apparently lets you make all the important decisions from ME1, but you're still not going to get the full experience. You might get the knowledge of the storyline, but not the ambience. The essence of what makes Mass Effect what it is, the beginning of it all, is lost.

ME1 is by far not as detailed and "massive" as the second installment (also referring to the places you can visit, and mission diversity), but it's still a lot of fun and the amount of "aha" effects and experience of encountering all your former squad members again in ME2, after a few years have passed and things have changed, are one of the greatest experiences in computer gaming today.

Bioware also did a great job at carrying over your ME1 character's appearance. There are not many games where your character becomes that important. In the game itself, and to the gamer. You care about the reputation and notoriety you achieve. That hasn't really ever happened to me before in a game. Not on this level.

The atmosphere overall is excellent, the combat satisfying, since it turns out differently depending on which squad members you take along for the mission, there is a lot more emphasis on resources since they are required for researching new abilities, but it's a fun way to achieve this, and you can quickly do some resource grinding between missions. No longwinded MACO surveys that yield a few resources that really didn't seem to have much of any effect other than credits.

The new Normandy is much bigger, it has 4 separate decks and it's a nice motivation that parts of the ship unlock, the further you progress through the storyline. It's worth seeing. You're not going to get to drive the MACO as far as I've seen, but a DLC offers a hover vehicle which you can control in a set of missions.

The voice acting and animations are top notch, and especially Miranda's character was also modelled after the actress who lent her voice (Yvonne Strahovski). This was done so well, that I recognized the actress in the CG character. Great job Bioware! There are also a number of other, well known actors involved, all of them reprising their roles from ME1 (incl. Lance Henriksen & Seth Green), which provides great continuity. Names include Carrie-Anne Moss (Matrix), Adam Baldwin (Chuck, Firefly, X-Files etc.), Michael Dorn, Armin Shimerman, Dwight Schultz (all in Star Trek among others), Claudia Black (Stargate, Farscape) and Martin Sheen (Apocalypse Now, Wall Street) -- [movies/shows quoted from memory, I realize all of these guys have done much more]!

If you ever watched a great science-fiction action-adventure movie and wished you could be part of it, this is your chance. In Mass Effect you can be. Stop reading, and go protect the galaxy! Do it now!
  5. Dec 20, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is definitely the best game in the series. Its story is overwhelming, the game-play fluid, and just the entire setup and everything, it's beautiful. The character development is extraordinary and seeing some old faces from Mass Effect 1 again was especially nice, though the new faces among the crew are also pretty fantastic. Each of them has their own story, the level ofMass Effect 2 is definitely the best game in the series. Its story is overwhelming, the game-play fluid, and just the entire setup and everything, it's beautiful. The character development is extraordinary and seeing some old faces from Mass Effect 1 again was especially nice, though the new faces among the crew are also pretty fantastic. Each of them has their own story, the level of interaction possible is great (except for 'I'm in the middle of some calibrations', ugh). The different classes have improved, just like many other things. The game offers plenty of side missions, which all add flavour to the already fantastic main storyline. Also: Garrus. Need I say more? Expand
  6. Jan 2, 2014
    Mass Effect 2 has its problems, because it was developed mainly for consoles, which brought many disadvantages with it (linear levels, bad controls, horrible menus, removal of RPG elements) and PC players were left behind a bit.
    It's still Mass Effect at the core though and the story and characters are so fantastic that it easily makes up for that. As in the first game, the story is great. I think the secret of the Mass Effect series is mainly in the writing, because the dialogues just feel more believable than in other games and they nailed it again in ME2. Of course it helps that graphics, music and gameplay (with the above mentioned exceptions) are all outstanding.
  7. Feb 6, 2015
    There are very few games which can be described as having truly perfected their formula. One could say that Mario and Sonic perfected the platformer, that mario galaxy perfected the 3D platformer, perhaps even that games like GTA: San Andreas perfected the open-world formula. Mass Effect 2 is a game that has created its own formula by delicately fusing RPG elements with third-personThere are very few games which can be described as having truly perfected their formula. One could say that Mario and Sonic perfected the platformer, that mario galaxy perfected the 3D platformer, perhaps even that games like GTA: San Andreas perfected the open-world formula. Mass Effect 2 is a game that has created its own formula by delicately fusing RPG elements with third-person shooter gameplay, and the result is simply pure perfection.

The game picks up a few years after the first Mass Effect game and revolves around the protagonist from the first game, John (or Jane) Shepard, who after waking up from a coma and being essentially brought back from the dead by a shadowy organisation named Cerberus must stop an invasion of deadly aliens known as the Collectors, who are abducting entire colonies of humans for some unknown purpose. To do this, he must assemble a team and travel beyond the Omega 4 Relay, from which no ship has ever returned. As he recruits new allies and old friends for his suicide mission, Shepard makes new discoveries which reveal more and more of the mysterious Collectors' nature and goals.

The story in this game is absolutely amazing. How the plot progresses depends partly on the actions that Shepard took in the first Mass Effect, so I highly reccommend playing that first before this. The rest is decided through the game's morality system - "Paragon" choices make Shepard a much more noble, just character, whereas "Renegade" choices make him bolder, harsher and colder. This allows for a different experience and different character developments for Shepard depending on what choices the player makes throughout the game and its predecessor - anything that you do could change the course of the whole game. And when you reach the ending, I absolutely guarantee that you will be on the edge of your computer chair with tension. Also returning from Mass Effect 1 is the ability to start a romantic relationship with one of the characters on board the ship. This has little effect on the storyline itself but it's kind of cute to see Shepard finding love.

As for the gameplay, Mass Effect 2 builds upon the starndard third person shooter formula with some innovative features, for instance Shepard and his team can use various abilities in battle, including various technological abilities, different weapon ammo types and "biotics" - psychic-like abilities which can be used for both offence and defence. This seems to make battles flow much more as you swictn betwnn shooting and using your powers to find the best way of dispatching your enemy.

The game has a "loyalty mission" system, wherein you can gain special missions from particular characters, and if you complete these missions you will unlock an extra outfitm and extra power and that character's "loyalty" - in the endgame thhis will become very important, so after you start receiving these missions, try to avoid other missions until you have recruited everyone and completed all of their loyalty missions. Shepard can also purchase upgrades for his allies and for his ship, the Normandy - these will also be much needed in the endgame.

All in all, Mass Effect 2 is hard to describe with any other word other than its own title. With an awe-inspiring story, action-packed gameplay and endless replay value, no self-respecting gamer should pass it up.
  8. Feb 24, 2014
    I've always loved Mass Effect 1 when it was first out on 360, i just loved, the storytelling,combat everything and i just thought Mass Effect 2 (before it cam out) was just the same as Mass Effect 1, like it cant be improved, (BETTER), but Mass Effect 2 came out and i played it and it blew me away it was better, but still like mass effect 1 and always will, but mass effect 2 just blew meI've always loved Mass Effect 1 when it was first out on 360, i just loved, the storytelling,combat everything and i just thought Mass Effect 2 (before it cam out) was just the same as Mass Effect 1, like it cant be improved, (BETTER), but Mass Effect 2 came out and i played it and it blew me away it was better, but still like mass effect 1 and always will, but mass effect 2 just blew me away it was mind blowing full of awesomeness, great game YOU HAVE TO BUY IT!!!!!! Expand
  9. Apr 1, 2014
    Loooooved the story,emotion is this game fuel.You feel responsable for every word,act,charachter and universe.Great job.My top 10 of all times is here.
  10. Jun 17, 2015
    Quite possibly my favorite video game of all time, Mass Effect 2 improved on the gameplay of the original Mass Effect while offering up a rich new cast of characters that were fascinating to get to know as well as the return of a couple of fan favorites from the original. I wouldn't say that the game was perfect, as the central storyline didn't quite live up to the first game, but it didQuite possibly my favorite video game of all time, Mass Effect 2 improved on the gameplay of the original Mass Effect while offering up a rich new cast of characters that were fascinating to get to know as well as the return of a couple of fan favorites from the original. I wouldn't say that the game was perfect, as the central storyline didn't quite live up to the first game, but it did so much right that I could never not give it a full ten. Mass Effect 2 offered me the things that I really want in my games - great storytelling, a fascinating and rich setting, and engaging characters. A true masterpiece! Expand
  11. Sep 5, 2014
    One of the very few games that I beat in one sitting. One of the few games that I was sad because of the Characters that died. One of the few games that I really enjoyed. It was the high point of the series. Mass Effect was Ok. held back by bad graphics and gameplay. Mass Effect 3 was trying to appeal to a huge audience. Mass Effect was just perfect, no doubt about it. Its ended up on manyOne of the very few games that I beat in one sitting. One of the few games that I was sad because of the Characters that died. One of the few games that I really enjoyed. It was the high point of the series. Mass Effect was Ok. held back by bad graphics and gameplay. Mass Effect 3 was trying to appeal to a huge audience. Mass Effect was just perfect, no doubt about it. Its ended up on many peoples "Best Games Ever" lists, and im no exception Expand
  12. Dec 18, 2014
    "An Epic Sci-fi Space Adventure"
    -------------------------------------------
    Mass Effect 2 is simply the Pinnacle of role play games. It is the most satisfying game up to date, the game surpasses all the expectations. It builds it's own unique sci fi universe with a incredible story and a superb and unforgettable cast of characters Mass Effect 2 is simply THE BEST game of all time.
    "An Epic Sci-fi Space Adventure"
    -------------------------------------------

- Zaeed Lacks Character Development
    - Too Short

/SCORE: 4.3
    Kasumi Stolen Memory DLC
    --------------------------------------------------------- + Kasumi's Story + Bekenstein Looks Great - Kasumi Feels Uninteresting - Bit Overpriced /SCORE: 6.7 --------------------------------------------------------- Worthwhile Downloadable Packs --------------------------------------------------------- + Normandy Crash Site + Arc Projector + Alternate Appearance Pack 1 + Equalizer Pack + Mass Effect: Genesis + Alternate Appearance Pack 2 + Firepower Pack - Cerberus Weapon And Armor - Firewalker Pack - Aegis Pack --------------------------------------------------------- Overlord DLC --------------------------------------------------------- + Hammerhead Is Better Than Mako + Gorgeous Visuals + Great Wildlife + Deep Ending + Engaging Music - Not Much Dialogue /SCORE: 9.3 --------------------------------------------------------- Lair Of The Shadow Broker DLC --------------------------------------------------------- + Planet Hagalaz Is Stunning + Humorous Writing + One Impressive Car Chase + Top Notch Action + Choices Carry Over To ME3 - Pretty Short /SCORE: 9.8 --------------------------------------------------------- Arrival DLC --------------------------------------------------------- + Important Plot + Choices Has Consequences In ME3 + Engaging Combat + Lengthy But For A Low Price + Creates Tension + The Final Confrontation - Squad Members Aren't Allowed - Lacking Dialogue /SCORE: 9.8 ======GAMESCORE: 10.0 - "PINNACLE"======
  13. May 20, 2014
    Cons:
    EA published, less RPG feel compared to the first one.

Pros:
    Great characters, great story, nice decision system, fun gameplay, immersive atmosphere, great sci-fi universe, politically charged & nice classes to choose from.
  14. Aug 29, 2014
    EA surprised me with this game. Normally EA doesn't do so well with gaming, but this! EA and BioWare really did a good job on improving this franchise. Let's start from the top: A near-perfect beginning, that got my heart racing and immersing me into the story (I'm not gonna spoil it). The rest of the story is near perfect, giving more room than all other games for what you want yourEA surprised me with this game. Normally EA doesn't do so well with gaming, but this! EA and BioWare really did a good job on improving this franchise. Let's start from the top: A near-perfect beginning, that got my heart racing and immersing me into the story (I'm not gonna spoil it). The rest of the story is near perfect, giving more room than all other games for what you want your character and your squad to be. Example: You can have your character be a warm-hearted kind guy who does stuff for the people, or the epic badass who always trusts the bad way of doing things. You can have your squad master this power or that, or have an even balance between things. The combat is the best I've seen ever, and makes Mass Effect 1's combat seem poorly done (ME1's combat is great, btw). And powers are greatly improved, as well- cool-down reduction, great looking, and very useful (especially for biotics). Infinite ammo is removed, which really removes a lot of stress (overheating weapons in ME1 is a pain in the @**). All in all, I think this game's a genius's work. Credits to EA and BioWare! Expand
  15. Jun 1, 2014
    By far my favorite game. Fantastic storyline, character development, and gameplay. You get to choose your class as well as everything you say in the game.... pretty amazing piece of art. Good job fellaz.
  16. Sep 16, 2015
    A game that does almost everything right and stays with you forever.
    A game that does almost everything right and stays with you forever.
    The plot takes a sharp turn from mass effect 1 and gives the player a chance to take a peek at the wonderful world Bioware crafted. Not everyone approved the changes in mass effect 2, many players put the blame for mass effect 3 shortcomings on the second game. The short comings refer to the change in plot and less sense of immediate threat and direction that were core elements in the first game and were pushed away from the front of the stage in mass effect 2.

However, this is exactly where Mass effect 2 shines, by choosing a more relaxed course in comparison to the fast roller coaster in the first game. The players are able to feel the gaps in the story with their own imagination. Nothing can be taken at face value. Every decision and piece of information you receive needs to be analyzed and dissected, and it encourages you to read the well made codex.

There is a reason so many players have played this 20 hours game to completion several times or more.
    It is just that good, and if you haven't jumped on the mass effect wagon, do yourself a favor and go play the first and the second, it will probably be your best game related decision in your life, I know it was mine.
    Just a word of advice. Once you finished this game, avoid the urge to play the third and just complete the story with your own imagination, you won't regret it.
  17. Jul 4, 2014
    ITS MORE THAN A GAME........this is my first MASS EFFECT game,i have'nt played the previous part..Usually i love playing 3rd person shooter games but not found of playing science-fiction games... But i really loved this game..good graphics as its a 2010 game,also gameplay,storyline are all excellent...the characters are also great including commander shepard and miranda is damm hot andITS MORE THAN A GAME........this is my first MASS EFFECT game,i have'nt played the previous part..Usually i love playing 3rd person shooter games but not found of playing science-fiction games... But i really loved this game..good graphics as its a 2010 game,also gameplay,storyline are all excellent...the characters are also great including commander shepard and miranda is damm hot and sexyy ;)... now i playing mass effect 2 and will play mass effect 3 for sure...i became a big fan of MASS EFFECT :) Expand
  18. Aug 24, 2014
    There is nothing bad I can say about this game. It pretty much single-handedly got me back into sci-fi in a big way. Great characters, great plot, massive worlds and seemingly endless scope for exploration. This thing sucked me in like few games do and I couldn't get enough of it. One of the truly great games on PS3 that's for sure.
  19. Jul 6, 2014
    This is my favorite game ever the story was hands down the best it had a huge improvement from the first game like NO **** ATV (it annoyed the hell out of me) and I do like the clips instead of unlimited (it was so overpowered) the characters are just bad-ass and you also get to see the characters from the first game and fight with some of them again the gameplay is just fun (u finallyThis is my favorite game ever the story was hands down the best it had a huge improvement from the first game like NO **** ATV (it annoyed the hell out of me) and I do like the clips instead of unlimited (it was so overpowered) the characters are just bad-ass and you also get to see the characters from the first game and fight with some of them again the gameplay is just fun (u finally get to slide over things). I have played over 200 hours on this game doing ever choice every class every ending. Overall amazing game I highly recommend getting this game. Expand
  20. Sep 21, 2014
    Great Game. Combat is fun. Mainstoryline is a bit lackluster, but the sidestories are on of the best I have ever enjoyed in a game. Memorable characters and a lot of character interaction. Choices matter sometimes (more than in dragon age, but less than in witcher 2) .Overall: 10/10
  21. Oct 7, 2014
    I emplore anybody to find a game of its kind that makes you care about the story or its characters more...one of the best pecies of art to grace any platform
  22. Nov 19, 2014
    Brilliant. Other than DA:O, never have I cared so much about a group of characters. The writing, the dialogue, the story-line, the depth of characterization, the graphics, the game play are all stunning. Bioware has created a space epic masterpiece with this game. From the awesomeness of the opening sequence to the nail-biting suicide mission, I was enthralled. Highly re-playable too. EachBrilliant. Other than DA:O, never have I cared so much about a group of characters. The writing, the dialogue, the story-line, the depth of characterization, the graphics, the game play are all stunning. Bioware has created a space epic masterpiece with this game. From the awesomeness of the opening sequence to the nail-biting suicide mission, I was enthralled. Highly re-playable too. Each side mission had delicious moments as well. Nothing felt throw-away. Kudus Bioware! Expand
  23. Jan 30, 2015
    Possibly the greatest RPG of all time for its style(character and story driven with light combat and character development). Do not get this game expecting it to be Fallout or Skyrim, it is about a journey and more importantly the characters of that journey, it is closer to A telltale game than a traditional RPG, but it is incredible. Many people viewed the softer combat as a negative butPossibly the greatest RPG of all time for its style(character and story driven with light combat and character development). Do not get this game expecting it to be Fallout or Skyrim, it is about a journey and more importantly the characters of that journey, it is closer to A telltale game than a traditional RPG, but it is incredible. Many people viewed the softer combat as a negative but really that was the game removing non core elements, and it shows because the bond you feel for the characters in this series is greater than any other RPG I have played. Part of the reason that people were so let down by the ending is that this game and the majority of the third game are where you will find great moment after great moment, this series really picks up in the second game and its an incredible journey to experience. Expand
  24. Mar 14, 2015
    A brilliant game, one of my all time favourites. Awesome story, immersion, cut scenes, quests, graphic style, decisions, companions (Miranda!!, Tali,...) and NPCs. It's just a pity the RPG elements were cut back.
  25. May 9, 2016
    I am assuming direct control of this review:

I am assuming direct control of this review:

BioWare’s first Mass Effect felt like a KOTOR clone. The universe was a place we wanted to live in, but there were too many systems and menus to dig through to get there. BioWare streamed back and watered down RPG mechanics and streamlined gameplay to put more emphasis on the shooting mechanics with the 2nd game of the saga. Turns out, it wasn't so bad after all: Mass Effect 2 trims just enough fat to let you focus on what matters: the optional Loyalty missions for your team.

Instead of an exercise in galactic exploration, Mass Effect 2 plays out like a sci-fi Ocean's Eleven or Dirty Dozen. Recruiting a team to take on the Collectors puts the focus on small, interesting stories. Each Loyalty mission gives you insight into your companions’ motivations, making every member of the Normandy's crew an unusually deep character. Once you've grown to know and love them, the endgame suicide run is one of the tensest final missions ever. It's rare for a game to spend more time on character arcs than its central driving narrative, but Mass Effect 2 pulls it off. This is some of the best writing in BioWare's history, and a deeply satisfying gaming experience.

The clunky controls with the usual catering to consoles drag down PC gameplay, Trying to determine how scale-itch got onto Normandy. Sexually-transmitted disease. Only carried by varren. Implications unpleasant.

Still 6 years later, Mass Effect 2 hold the line. So enjoy yourself while possible, Shepard. Will be here, replaying Mass Effect 2. Much simpler. Less alcohol and mood music required. Only BioWare could pull something like that, someone else might have gotten it wrong.

I rate 10 because it’s so easy to see the galaxy in black and white. Gray? I don’t know what to do with gray.
  26. Jun 30, 2015
    One of the best video games there is out there. A true turning point for bioware in understanding the importance of creating interesting characters for their players. The attachment to these characters will stick with you long after you have played this game.
  27. Oct 14, 2015
    mass effect 2 is hand down the 2nd place of all my favorite games of all time. the writing is amazingly godlike, excellent voice acting, excellent story and squadmates that you will remember. the twist in this game are very good, (and im not one to look kindly on twists). i think tis should be the one you'll start with. not the first one. i started with mass effect 2 not knowing anythingmass effect 2 is hand down the 2nd place of all my favorite games of all time. the writing is amazingly godlike, excellent voice acting, excellent story and squadmates that you will remember. the twist in this game are very good, (and im not one to look kindly on twists). i think tis should be the one you'll start with. not the first one. i started with mass effect 2 not knowing anything about mass effect but at the end of mass effect 2 i understod everything i needed to know. if you decide you want the game, please get all the downloadable content. you will not regret lair of the shadow broker, kasimu: stolem memories, arrival and maybe project Overlord (that one is kinda of a hit and miss). question. should you get the game?. yes. you will find enjoyment out of it and if you dont know anything about mass effect this is the one to start with Expand
  28. Nov 5, 2015
    Mass Effect 2 is one of its kind, you will experience a great adventure during atleast 20h of gameplay. Characters are very unique and special. One of the best RPG's ever. Personally, this is my best episod.
  29. Nov 27, 2015
    Mass Effect 2 is one of the greatest games ever made. Perfect story, perfect experience.
    The control developed since the previous part. The graphics is good, but it's 2015, use the graphics tools.
    I can't wait for the new episode. 10/10
  30. Feb 13, 2016
    Mass Effect 2 is one of the best sequels in the history of video games and the greatest of the sci-fi RPG genre.The story is well-written,the decisions you make are always effective in the story,the gameplay is even better than the original,the characters are memorable,the soundtrack and the voice acting are outstanding.It's a perfect game on almost every aspect.A must-have,especially forMass Effect 2 is one of the best sequels in the history of video games and the greatest of the sci-fi RPG genre.The story is well-written,the decisions you make are always effective in the story,the gameplay is even better than the original,the characters are memorable,the soundtrack and the voice acting are outstanding.It's a perfect game on almost every aspect.A must-have,especially for pc-gamers. Expand
  31. Feb 29, 2016
    Oh my! What a show! What an ending! I miss already but I can't imagine any other Shephard that mine. Fantastic, immersive story, colorful, deep characters, improved shooting, there's nothing I could complain about. More of that!
  32. Apr 18, 2016
    To say that this game earned the title of one of the best games ever made is a bit understated. The first Mass Effect was ok...but Mass Effect 2?! Holy crapola!

I hated the conversations in the first game, but this time around I couldn't WAIT to see how things would go! The interactions with all the various crew members was just outstanding! The game play....outstanding! The mods available to make it look better than it already did...OUTSTANDING!!

The only thing about this game that I absolutely can NOT stand is male sheppard's voice. God, how monotone can you be?! Totally sounded like he would rather be having a root canal than have anything at all to do with this story.

That's why I will ALWAYS play FemShep. :)

On a scale of 1 to 100, ME2 gets a 99.9 from me. The .01 off is thanks to MaleShep's awful voice. lol
  33. ThomasS.
    Feb 1, 2010
    This game is so good that you almost forget that they removed a lot of the traditional RPG stuff. Seems like they spend more time making the side quest better than adding loads of items for customizing. If it have to be this way i prefer ME2 as the side quests of ME1 and endless driving around the same boring planets got old very fast. A few glitches but nothing serious. More customizing This game is so good that you almost forget that they removed a lot of the traditional RPG stuff. Seems like they spend more time making the side quest better than adding loads of items for customizing. If it have to be this way i prefer ME2 as the side quests of ME1 and endless driving around the same boring planets got old very fast. A few glitches but nothing serious. More customizing and this would have been a 10. Expand
  34. KostasI.
    Feb 20, 2010
    I will not say much other than saying that this game is simply incredible. It has the best possible character roster and conversation system i have ever seen in any game. You WILL actually care for your characters. The only downside i can think of is that this game is NO rpg. It is a shooter with RPG elements and an infinately better narative and story than many RPG's but it sure as I will not say much other than saying that this game is simply incredible. It has the best possible character roster and conversation system i have ever seen in any game. You WILL actually care for your characters. The only downside i can think of is that this game is NO rpg. It is a shooter with RPG elements and an infinately better narative and story than many RPG's but it sure as hell does not play like one and the gameplay and design itself does not remind you of an RPG either. Get this game, whoever you are, wherever you are jsut buy the thing. Avoid only if you want a traditional style RPG. Expand
  35. GabeT.
    Jan 29, 2010
    -- Graphics -- Great. No anti-aliasing, but that's hardly a complaint. Beautiful environments as well. -- Story -- Very in-depth story development, but also has methods to skip though the lore if you don't want to hear it. Doing so hardly decreases your understanding of what's going on too. One of the few problems of ME2 however is that much of the story and your decisions -- Graphics -- Great. No anti-aliasing, but that's hardly a complaint. Beautiful environments as well. -- Story -- Very in-depth story development, but also has methods to skip though the lore if you don't want to hear it. Doing so hardly decreases your understanding of what's going on too. One of the few problems of ME2 however is that much of the story and your decisions you make are reliant on having played ME1. -- Combat -- Very engaging. Tactics become very useful and the tactical pause is a fun, quick and easy way to do that. Plus, the interface is easy enough so that orchestrating your team is not frustrating. Occasionally your team members will do stupid things like not get into cover, but that's rare, and even when they do, it's easy to still make things work. -- Upgrades/Gear -- Lots of upgrades for armor, weapons, powers and so on. Unfortunately the cost of many of them is pretty steep, forcing perfectionists to mine planets for resources. While mining resources in and of itself can be a fun little mini game, farming upgrade materials can get boring fast. -- Shortcomings -- There are very few problems with ME2 in my opinion. There are a few to note however. 1) You can get stuck in walls more often than one would hope; without a jump key, when this happens you have to load the latest save. 2) The game is a bit short in my opinion; has about 20 hours of game-play to complete the main storyline. There are countless star systems in the game, most of which contain nothing but mine-able planets. I'm pretty sure this is to allow ample room for DLC. -- Conclusion -- Great game. The few flaws it has are greatly overwhelmed by the countless positives. Expand
  36. Cygnus
    Jan 30, 2010
    The only reason I have given this a 9 is because I found the game too short but overall a complete improvement from the first Mass Effect. Coming off of buying Modern Warfare 2 and seeing just how forsaken a PC gamer can be to developers i was skeptical to ME2. Bioware seems to be the only developer i trust now as a PC gamer to equally make both 360 and PC gamers satisfied in there The only reason I have given this a 9 is because I found the game too short but overall a complete improvement from the first Mass Effect. Coming off of buying Modern Warfare 2 and seeing just how forsaken a PC gamer can be to developers i was skeptical to ME2. Bioware seems to be the only developer i trust now as a PC gamer to equally make both 360 and PC gamers satisfied in there experience. 9/10 Expand
  37. MakiM
    Feb 1, 2010
    This is at least as good as the original Mass Effect. A great deal of things has been improved, such as more unique missions (in the original game, uncharted planets usually had the same base setup with randomly generated environments which were hard to navigate). The inventory system has been simplified, and this is both good and bad. It's more consistent now and much easier to This is at least as good as the original Mass Effect. A great deal of things has been improved, such as more unique missions (in the original game, uncharted planets usually had the same base setup with randomly generated environments which were hard to navigate). The inventory system has been simplified, and this is both good and bad. It's more consistent now and much easier to manage, however, there is a lack of options as there are not many weapon selections in the game. Though this is minor compared to the greater state of things in this game, such as its magnificent storyline. The game length is longer, the team is more unique and every character is good in their own way, allowing for unique team combination. The visuals have also improved. The animations, sound/music, and art have been kept up to the high standard that we expect. The most noticeable feature is facial expressions. Now characters can realistically show anger or sadness (even tears can be seen on a weeping character). Cut-scenes are more cinematically epic, showing better viewing angles and shots. In the first Mass Effect, the experience felt great most in the beginning, then went down in the middle but went up again in the end. In Mass Effect 2, every single moment of the game feels epic, with the beginning and endings even better. I highly recommend this game. This is just the kind of game that is lacking in the gaming industry, which we need more of. Expand
  38. LukasA
    Feb 1, 2010
    I have never played a game better then this, epic storyline, despite some graphic issues, and a few bugs, its just a perfect game in almost any way, well thought through, and an awesome conversation system, like the last one. Giving it a 9 because of those bugs. Haven't completed half the game yet, but of course im not sure, but so far, its epic.
  39. StevenH
    Feb 20, 2010
    GOOD STUFF: added locational damage in battles, made enemy fire more dangerous, gave more customization within skills, more (compelling) dialogue, added conversation interrupts, added new special class abilities, added a great amount of graphical detail, game has less running and more doing than the first, as well as being longer, it is no longer necessary to spend 5 hours driving to pick GOOD STUFF: added locational damage in battles, made enemy fire more dangerous, gave more customization within skills, more (compelling) dialogue, added conversation interrupts, added new special class abilities, added a great amount of graphical detail, game has less running and more doing than the first, as well as being longer, it is no longer necessary to spend 5 hours driving to pick up collection quests for negligible experience, more romance options, more fully realized Mass Effect universe, visible blood when you shoot enemies, more choices that seem to matter (though they are still thin), can sprint whenever you want, made weapons more diverse in function, no more omni-gelling inventory items every time you open the menu, the game only requires a DVD check now rather than installing DRM or requiring Steam (at last), and more consistent quality throughout the game rather than highly cinematic sequences followed by 20 minutes of bouncing around on an empty planet. BAD STUFF: scanning is terribly boring, armor options are too simplified although they still work, face customization is still weak, and now you can't even add scars, many of the characters are aggressive and vulgar just for the sake of seeming adult but instead come off like 7 year olds learning new words, consistent collision bugs where you get stuck on waist-high objects or levitate into the air, biotics are basically useless unless they are reave or the enemy has no armor (basically, on low difficulties), they hired a bunch of famous voice actors for no reason other than to throw money around, all powers now have universal cool down, meaning if you change ammo then you must catch your breath before using another ability for some reason, storm speed has slowed down tremendously, the retcon of the ammo system makes no sense, the retcon of the kinetic barrier system makes no sense, the minigames for unlocking get old fast and you can no longer omni-gel them, there are no vehicles whatsoever, the "mission complete" screens smack of Doom, teammate AI is as stupid as ever, running headlong into fire, insanity is unreasonably hard at the beginning of a New Game+ with a level 30 character (it gets easier), it's much easier to reach the level cap in this game (can probably be done in 10 hours, seriously), it is excessively difficult on a new game to get enough credits to fully upgrade - apparently Cerberus has enough money to resurrect someone and pay them for menial tasks like rescuing quarians but not enough to buy a handful of weapon modifications, being a fully renegade character is still completely unreasonable as you can fare better by being a crazy naive paragon idiot (like in all Bioware games), and persuasion is now based on your paragon/renegade scores rather than your actual ability. Personally I find the game better than the first, although slightly. You can decide for yourself. Expand
  40. Michaelj
    Feb 3, 2010
    Great game. just misses a 10 in my book. the minigames are fine, something like that will never be super excting to me. they found another extreme direction to take the inventory system in. I like it because you don't have to worry about the 150 item cap, but it leaves you feeling let down that there is only two of any type of gun(one of which is clearly better than the other). the Great game. just misses a 10 in my book. the minigames are fine, something like that will never be super excting to me. they found another extreme direction to take the inventory system in. I like it because you don't have to worry about the 150 item cap, but it leaves you feeling let down that there is only two of any type of gun(one of which is clearly better than the other). the armor customization is spot on though, too bad it was only on shepherd.. the story: the game is really about building your team, it's rewarding but the collectors story line is relativly short. I pray to god that this is the team you go into ME3 with because it felt like all I did was recruit and then the game ended. Please Bioware, don't make me do it again. Everything else about this game is a 10. Combat is more refined, sound and voice acting is great, the side missions were just as good. It does make you want ME3 to come out tomorrow. Expand
  41. MikeP
    Feb 8, 2010
    45 hours of the best that video games has to offer; only a few flaws. I found that some of the pathing for my crew mates in certain missions(non-crucial ones) was a little wonky; and secondly, why can't I save my game more towards the end?!?! So needlessly frustrating! I think they know people will keep doing it over until they get it "right". I liked the customization system, but if 45 hours of the best that video games has to offer; only a few flaws. I found that some of the pathing for my crew mates in certain missions(non-crucial ones) was a little wonky; and secondly, why can't I save my game more towards the end?!?! So needlessly frustrating! I think they know people will keep doing it over until they get it "right". I liked the customization system, but if they had merged it with the inventory system from the first game I would have been ecstatic. I have to agree that the ending missions(no matter how many times I had to play through it to get it "right") and the ending is the best I've seen, ever. At least so far in a video game. Oddly (or rightfully) enough Dragon Age: Origins is right underneath it. Expand
  42. MonteA
    Mar 9, 2010
    I would rate a 9.5, but i cant. The reason i didnt give it a 10, is because, as good as it is, it does have some downsides. .::Bad things::. -it still has slight glitches with maps, audio, and some scenes. -RPG elements are stripped down -*sigh* Planet mining. The only real downfall of the game. .::Good Things::. -MUCH better shooting system -Epic storyline -Great graphics. -Diverse I would rate a 9.5, but i cant. The reason i didnt give it a 10, is because, as good as it is, it does have some downsides. .::Bad things::. -it still has slight glitches with maps, audio, and some scenes. -RPG elements are stripped down -*sigh* Planet mining. The only real downfall of the game. .::Good Things::. -MUCH better shooting system -Epic storyline -Great graphics. -Diverse Characters. -Great gameplay. -Leveling system is better. I hope for Mass Effect 3, they will put some of the RPG elements back in. And i hope after ME3, they will create something like GTA in Space theme. That would kick ass. Expand
  43. ChrisB.
    Jan 27, 2010
    This game is simply stunning, heart pounding epic game. I cant put it down and i have finals. EVerything from combat to atmosphere is perfect. Only thing they could have improved on is more armor and weapons otherwise... its insanely good
  44. GuanEro
    Jan 28, 2010
    This game is not perfect, yet I'm rating it a 9 because I'm comparing it to other Single player RPGS out there. A 9.4 in my personal Opinion. I'll make a short description about separated assets I could think of an rate them each individually. Graphics - 9: The game contains Superb graphics ME1 had problems with some textures and details. It has been fixed and optimized This game is not perfect, yet I'm rating it a 9 because I'm comparing it to other Single player RPGS out there. A 9.4 in my personal Opinion. I'll make a short description about separated assets I could think of an rate them each individually. Graphics - 9: The game contains Superb graphics ME1 had problems with some textures and details. It has been fixed and optimized here, everything is eye candy in ME2. Sound - 10: Original sounds and superb quality give a merging gameplay experience. Music - 10: Music is amazing, creative, modern, original, it is well placed according to the enviroment, it's a major success. Cinematics - 10 and dialogs -8 : Cinematics are top quality, but when it comes to dialog it can be predictive and repetitive at times, when two people speak at the same time the second dialog overcomes the first, this happens when moving, mostly. Story - 9: Yes the story is the typical "save the galaxy" story, they tried to make it darker but they fail at times, they did add some harder desitions to take. What's good about the storyline is yes, that you play it, and how it starts developing while you're playing, depending on your choices and achievements. Characters - 8: There are some intriguing characters, but there are also unoriginal ones, I don't want to spoil any details here, characters are just not for all the tastes, but there are ways to go over the characters you don't like, one wishes that with all the split personalities they'd at least fight differently in combat but a biotic is a biotic and a soldier is a soldier. Gameplay - 7: We come to the downside of the game, gameplay is repetitive and boring, but very much improved from the first ME, shooting body parts count, you make more damage if you shoot to the head or slow down enemies when you shoot their legs, you also use a magazine system instead of the overheating one in ME1, effects are better and weapon - armour management is slightly different. The bad thing is action remains the same in poorly designed FIGHTING environments. This said Mass Effect 2 is a superb game I'd definitely advice you to get if you have the oportunity, and if you like cinematic experiences, the gameplay is a bit sloppy, but the feeling of progressing through a story and being part of it makes it up for it, at least if you love RPGs. It's an adventure. Expand
  45. JustinW.
    Jan 28, 2010
    If you liked the first Mass Effect then... well I don't h ave to tell you anything, bc you've already purchased this game. If you've never played the original and you want to know if you can pick up ME2 and still enjoy it; I will say yes you will. Sure there is a lot of back story and you are definitely picking up in the middle of a trilogy, but I think they adequately If you liked the first Mass Effect then... well I don't h ave to tell you anything, bc you've already purchased this game. If you've never played the original and you want to know if you can pick up ME2 and still enjoy it; I will say yes you will. Sure there is a lot of back story and you are definitely picking up in the middle of a trilogy, but I think they adequately explain key elements if you just take the time to ask during dialog. My only grief is the new planet scanning mini game. For upgrades to your equipment you have to gain materials. Those materials are acquired through a tedious process of running your mouse over entire planets and launching a limited number of probes at spots that have high concentrations of materials. This is a slow, tedious, and has you running across the galaxy constantly for more probes. But that is only a minor gripe. Get this game or you will regret it! Expand
  46. ScottE.
    Jan 29, 2010
    Amazing game but the game is very short i beat all content in about 19 hours was very disappointed in the length but besides that i enjoyed it a lot.
  47. HowieG
    Jan 29, 2010
    Not bad at all. Unfortunately there are many things missing in Mass Effect 2 that were already present in Mass Effect 1 that I find myself wishing for. Especially in the fight sequences. ME2 has a clunky feel kinda like trying to play a FPS console game. The story is great and most of the voice acting is top notch though so at the end of the day I felt like I had read a great book. If you Not bad at all. Unfortunately there are many things missing in Mass Effect 2 that were already present in Mass Effect 1 that I find myself wishing for. Especially in the fight sequences. ME2 has a clunky feel kinda like trying to play a FPS console game. The story is great and most of the voice acting is top notch though so at the end of the day I felt like I had read a great book. If you can look past the wanna-be console style action you'll find it's a good game with a great story that is presented very well. I really liked it. Expand
  48. DanielH.
    Jan 31, 2010
    This game is overall very good, it has an intriguing storyline, a wonderful atmosphere and deep, interesting characters. I found that many of the loyalty mission had an emotional connection, especially Tali'Zorah's, and for players to feel an emotional bond, a deep relationship to a game character is an achievement not easily earned by the game developers. The only thing I found This game is overall very good, it has an intriguing storyline, a wonderful atmosphere and deep, interesting characters. I found that many of the loyalty mission had an emotional connection, especially Tali'Zorah's, and for players to feel an emotional bond, a deep relationship to a game character is an achievement not easily earned by the game developers. The only thing I found a bit disappointing was the few choices for same-sex romances. I personally had wanted for a long time to pursue a romance with Tali with my female Shepard, but I found myself required to start over with a male Shepard in order to make that happen. Expand
  49. JayE
    Feb 13, 2010
    Great game! Better than the first in almost every way. The only major problem is the controls, thanks to [insert curse word here] consoles. There is no mouse wheel control at all (except weapon toggling), you can't double-click anything, even single clicking menu items wont do anything when you expect it to, which means that you end up clicking a menu item, then clicking the button Great game! Better than the first in almost every way. The only major problem is the controls, thanks to [insert curse word here] consoles. There is no mouse wheel control at all (except weapon toggling), you can't double-click anything, even single clicking menu items wont do anything when you expect it to, which means that you end up clicking a menu item, then clicking the button at the bottom.. repeat and rinse until clean. Plus you cant move left or right when you are sprinting, weapon selection is slow and tedious, general menu navigation delays, and other control related problems ruining the whole experience. But other than that, the game itself is great! Awesome story line and characters, interesting locations and missions, unlike the first game where planet exploration was repetitive and boring. One thing that does get tedious is the planet scanning. You need to spend 5 minutes scanning each globe to gather minerals for upgrades, which becomes quite tiresome after the tenth planet scan. Another problem is moving your character around in the levels. You end up "snapping" to cover when unexpected, and its a pain "unsnapping" from cover, and you tend to get stuck on corners for no apparent reason, and sometimes you become completely stuck in a wall, resulting in you having to reload the last save point. It would have gotten 10/10 if it wasn't riddled with consolitis. Expand
  50. F.D
    Feb 18, 2010
    Bioware - a powerhouse when it comes to Games. Quality games, especially for the PC, are hard to find nowadays. Mass Effect 2 vastly improves on the already epic Mass Effect, they have removed much of the unnecessary content that plagued Mass Effect and adjusted the controls and classes. Graphics are great and the dialogue is superb, feels like your inside a movie when playing the game. I Bioware - a powerhouse when it comes to Games. Quality games, especially for the PC, are hard to find nowadays. Mass Effect 2 vastly improves on the already epic Mass Effect, they have removed much of the unnecessary content that plagued Mass Effect and adjusted the controls and classes. Graphics are great and the dialogue is superb, feels like your inside a movie when playing the game. I also love the fact that the storyline evolves based on your actions. Great replay value also to experience all the different paths you can take. This game is worth the money it costs. Expand
  51. KenN.
    Feb 19, 2010
    The game's graphic and interface are definitely up-a-notch from the prequel. A lot of game play mechanics work well. The introduction of thermal clips was good. It forces the player to use multiple weapons and conserve ammo. So it's not as easy as the last game. The hacking mini-games are fun to do and easy to comprehend. The scanning is kinda forcing the game to a low pace: a The game's graphic and interface are definitely up-a-notch from the prequel. A lot of game play mechanics work well. The introduction of thermal clips was good. It forces the player to use multiple weapons and conserve ammo. So it's not as easy as the last game. The hacking mini-games are fun to do and easy to comprehend. The scanning is kinda forcing the game to a low pace: a down side. The physical change b/w paragon and renegade is shown. The plot is terrific, lots of quest and sidequests if you look for it. Quite a lot of bugs and glitches, I encounter a bug when I went to cover and was stuck on top of the wall. Had to restart, lame. Then there are bunch of glitches that occasionally appear, but not too often. Wish we could skip cutscenes that we already watched so we can start another game easier. New Game+ is fun. All in all, a good game besides some glitches and slow pace moments. Can't w8 for ME3 :) Expand
  52. SvenP
    Mar 8, 2010
    One of the best games ever. The story and the Characters are the best on the PC at the moment. Only thing I have to critic is that there are no real RP elements like an inventory and the "skills" are lame.
  53. MetehanB.
    Jan 27, 2010
    Maybe it's a little bit different than a RPG, an Action-RPG, but still it's really the best made BioWare game, like they said =) My real score is 9.6 ;)
  54. SimonS
    Feb 11, 2010
    i buy game after game and this is the best yet in 5 year. The storyline excellent 10/10. I enjoy the game play but not the cover system. i don't use it and hide behind head hight cover, it works better. The weapons choice is very good and fun. i play on the hardest setting which i find hard in places, perfect. To tell you the truth the graphics could be better, they are good but i buy game after game and this is the best yet in 5 year. The storyline excellent 10/10. I enjoy the game play but not the cover system. i don't use it and hide behind head hight cover, it works better. The weapons choice is very good and fun. i play on the hardest setting which i find hard in places, perfect. To tell you the truth the graphics could be better, they are good but theres not much difference from the last game to the sencond one. i would give it a 9.5. Theres a couple of improvements i would like but thay only count for about 0.5 / 10. im very happy with the game. one more note, its a very slick game,flows brillant from one stage to the next. Expand
  55. StuartF
    Feb 26, 2010
    One of the best stories in an RPG for a long time. Coupled with a faster pace than a traditional RPG you are sucked right in and dragged along. With an ending dramatic enough for the movies you won't be disappointed playing it all the way through. But do take time out to explore and find the hidden missions in the outer systems. Team AI is on the whole pretty good, theres a few One of the best stories in an RPG for a long time. Coupled with a faster pace than a traditional RPG you are sucked right in and dragged along. With an ending dramatic enough for the movies you won't be disappointed playing it all the way through. But do take time out to explore and find the hidden missions in the outer systems. Team AI is on the whole pretty good, theres a few points where your squad gets stuck or runs forward like an idiot into a wall of bullets. But generous quantities of medi-gel make it more of a task just to revive them rather than a game breaking issue. For a PC release you really do feel this was developed for the consoles, lack of a basic screen shot function is very obvious. But the simplified interface leaves you more time to focus on enjoying the game and not just juggling stats. Expand
  56. Feb 28, 2012
    Bioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. GoBioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. Go buy this game now, as well as it's original incarnation! Expand
  57. Yaz
    Sep 5, 2010
    This game is great. The atmosphere makes up for a lack of variety in combat. I did not like the restrictive environments (you can't really go anywhere on the Citadel for example), but in general if you liked the first, you should give this one a chance. Planet scanning does suck though.
  58. Sep 5, 2010
    With attractive graphics, a fantastic score, convincing voice action and a compelling storyline, Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first game left off and will keep you playing late into the night. The second game has improved a few of the niggling gameplay issues in the first game, but still has a little room for improvement. It's easy to forgive any minor flaws in the game though, simplyWith attractive graphics, a fantastic score, convincing voice action and a compelling storyline, Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first game left off and will keep you playing late into the night. The second game has improved a few of the niggling gameplay issues in the first game, but still has a little room for improvement. It's easy to forgive any minor flaws in the game though, simply because of its finesse and style overall. The Mass Effect games so far have been two of the most evocative titles released in the last 5 years. If you've played the first game, you probably already bought the second. If you've played neither, start now. Expand
  59. Aug 14, 2011
    The game is very good and better than i expected. The pros: The game is very long especially compared to most games today although the actual main story alone is not very long, the graphics are excellent, good game play that combines 3rd person shooting with class powers that add a tactical element as well as simply making it more fun, there are some great RPG elements, the main being howThe game is very good and better than i expected. The pros: The game is very long especially compared to most games today although the actual main story alone is not very long, the graphics are excellent, good game play that combines 3rd person shooting with class powers that add a tactical element as well as simply making it more fun, there are some great RPG elements, the main being how you want to act and react as well as allow one to customize ones character very well, excellent story with believable, varied characters and world that keeps ones interest, excellent sound, music and especially voice acting.Neutral points that can be improved upon: the hacking and bypassing mini-games are fine but they are too simple and become tedious relatively fast, scanning planets for resources is okay at first but becomes boring quite quickly Cons: Short main story, feels repetitive at times, although the game allows one to customize ones character very well there are not many different weapons or armour available, the game does a good job of creating an illusion that it is a big game but in actual fact it is not. There are only four landable locations, the rest of the locations one only goes there once for a mission. Overall a excellent game that i enjoyed very much although there are a few things that can make it even better.Mass effect 3 just needs to build on the rpg elements and have a bit more variety as well as be a bigger game to surpass it's predecessor, lets hope it does .9/10 Expand
  60. Jan 4, 2011
    The Good: The difference between a plot and a story is that the plot is what happens, and the story is what the book/movie/video game is about. The plot of ME2 is incredibly awesome. It's epic, fast-paced, and quite original. The story, not so much, but I'll get to that later. The voice acting overall is quite good. The gameplay mechanics are solid and responsive. The bots areThe Good: The difference between a plot and a story is that the plot is what happens, and the story is what the book/movie/video game is about. The plot of ME2 is incredibly awesome. It's epic, fast-paced, and quite original. The story, not so much, but I'll get to that later. The voice acting overall is quite good. The gameplay mechanics are solid and responsive. The bots are average, though I have yet to see good video game AI in any game. The side quests are immersive and entertaining. The characters are relatable and your relationships with them are believable. You don't have to micromanage your squad's weapons, armor, and mods anymore (thank God) and this makes the game much more streamlined, even if it's more of an FPS as a result.

The Bad: The story seems too short and it's like Bioware stuck in the loyalty missions just to add length to the game. That's not to say that these missions aren't rewarding or entertaining; in fact they're better than some of the plot missions. The final battle is disappointingly easy when compared to the final battle in ME1 and it was actually harder to get to the room where it takes place than to actually win the fight. I also did not like how they took out the driving portions of the game. Now, I know most people hated driving that car in ME1, but I liked it, and it was certainly better than just scanning the planet for the resources you need.

The Ugly: (DISCLAIMER: Some of these issues may have been due to the fact that my computer is slightly underpowered and not due to the actual game.) Blinking still looks freakin weird with eyelids and eye lashes overlapping and showing through each other and just being a bit disturbing. Occasionally, if I was walking too close to a wall that had kind of a slope, I'd get stuck on it and wouldn't be able to move. Facial expressions look odd and slightly robotic, but the voice acting makes up for it so I'm good. Sometimes during a cut scene the camera would go inside Shepard or some other character and obstruct my view until the camera moved a little. Very rarely (like once or twice) the game would lock up for 30 to 45 seconds inside the Normandy, but then it kept moving and everything was fine.

Overall, I absolutely loved this game. It has definitely moved to the Number 1 spot on my list of Best Games Ever, beating out Twilight Princess. Buy it. NOW.
  61. May 23, 2011
    If you are reading this you are no doubt aware that this is one of the finest games created in this generation. Regardless of what platform you have, this game is a must play. That being said I'm going to describe the pros and cons of playing the PC version. First off the PC version has some bugs and as of this writing they have no been patched. In the Normandy you will occasionally fallIf you are reading this you are no doubt aware that this is one of the finest games created in this generation. Regardless of what platform you have, this game is a must play. That being said I'm going to describe the pros and cons of playing the PC version. First off the PC version has some bugs and as of this writing they have no been patched. In the Normandy you will occasionally fall through the ship into a pitch black chasm. This is not often, but it happens and it's actually pretty hilarious. When it does happen you can just reload the checkpoint (which is updated often) and go on your merry way. The other problem with the PC version is the Liara mission which was pretty bad. If you don't do Liara's mission immediately after she asks you to do it and you run off to do something else then when you come back there will be a bug where you hack all the terminals but can't proceed in her mission. This ruined one playthrough for me so as long you know to do Liara's mission right away you should be fine. If you can deal with this bugs and you have a good system prepare to be rewarded with the benefits of the PC version. The graphics are far superior to the console versions, with beautiful, high resolution textures and anti-aliasing. Playing it on my 23" 1080p monitor and 5.1 speaker system was a blast. Surprisingly the cutscenes were not rendered in 1080p but in 720p, so the in-game cutscenes looks far better than the pre-rendered cutscenes, ironically. Playing with a mouse and keyboard are also fantastic, but beware that the default keyboard configuration is strange, to say the least. You can quickly customize this to your liking and it will feel much better than playing with a controller, especially since you can now quicksave. Bioware did not map the interactive dialogue to the number keys though, so you're stuck using a mouse to awkwardly choose your dialogue option in a wheel. Overall the problems with the PC version are minimal but if you have the rig to run it, it is definitely worth it. Expand
  62. Oct 15, 2010
    Ok, so i've had this game since it came out. Beat it twice- Once time Good- One time doing what i would do in real life. So, the Good: Great Graphics - Superb Story Line - Great Characters The Bad - The RPG elements have been downgraded from ME1. It just doesn't feel the same, strategic feel, of the first ME. I can just run around pressing (spacebar) on everything. With that aside, onlyOk, so i've had this game since it came out. Beat it twice- Once time Good- One time doing what i would do in real life. So, the Good: Great Graphics - Superb Story Line - Great Characters The Bad - The RPG elements have been downgraded from ME1. It just doesn't feel the same, strategic feel, of the first ME. I can just run around pressing (spacebar) on everything. With that aside, only small glitches in acting/voice appear rarely. I've had only 2 problems like this since it came out - 1) Miranda -on her loyalty mission- was floating above us when we came out of the elevator. 2) The sound of cars (In Lair of The Shadow Broker) kept continuing after i crashed the detective, and fought her guards. So, besides the RPG elements and rare glitches, this is a very, very good game. With the captivating story line, and stunning graphics, i only wonder how they will beat this with ME3 (It IS a trilogy, and ME3 WILL come out, in-case some of you did not know). The only thing they could've done better, was tone up the RPG element, which i believe they will do in ME3. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking about getting it. Expand
  63. Oct 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are too many good things in this game to list them all, which is fitting since the question isn't "What is good about this game". The question is "What ISN'T good about this game", and the most i can come up with (after playing it many times) is the mining mini game. This is the only part of the game that is seriously lack luster. The last boss was also a slightly disappointing climax, and an illogical overall "evil scheme" made by the bad guys in ME2.

That said, there are flaws in all games, however compared to the first mass effect (and many other RPGs), Mass Effect 2 is the closest I've seen to a perfect game in the recent decade ever since the first xbox and the N64 was put out of commission.

Overall, it is an excellent game and a testament to the fact that Bioware remains on the cutting edge of western RPGs, and further solidifies themselves as a world renown game developer
  64. Nov 21, 2010
    A really excellent game. The story is very good, and the outcome of the game can vary dramatically depending on your actions, which I find to be a big plus. The characters are very interesting and fun to interact with. The connection with the previous game and promise of more to come in the sequel feel like a real plus, as opposed to just a marketing gimmick. There are a few very minorA really excellent game. The story is very good, and the outcome of the game can vary dramatically depending on your actions, which I find to be a big plus. The characters are very interesting and fun to interact with. The connection with the previous game and promise of more to come in the sequel feel like a real plus, as opposed to just a marketing gimmick. There are a few very minor things that bugged me and keep my rating at a 9 instead of 10, but I still think this game is well worth buying for anyone who enjoys RPGs at all. Expand
  65. Nov 26, 2010
    One of the best games I've ever played, right up there with Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 4. I don't generally like 3rd person shooters, but Bioware did a great job on it. Game play is very engrossing and story line is quite good (though not the best).
  66. Jan 13, 2011
    Although completely abandoning the RPG genre, this game is a epic experience which I enjoyed until the very last moment.

Reaper menace is the most fearsome I have seen on many years, feeling a true sense of urgency many times.

I feel the new allies are a bit depressing. Most of them are too though and a little of naivety would have been welcomed.
  67. May 20, 2011
    Great storyline, fun gameplay. Felt a bit like playing through a movie, was quite enjoyable. Not quite as long as I'd hoped for, but that's the only complaint I have. It's one of the few recent RPGs I didn't get bored of before I finished it, which is mainly due to the enjoyable storyline.
  68. Mar 13, 2011
    Very fun game. Deserved GOTY on IGN.

Good: Loved the first one, second one's storyline was epic too. Soundtrack epic. Voice acting epic. Beautiful worlds. Graphics were decent. Problems: mining is bad. not enough RPG elements. AI squadmates are slightly annoying.
  69. Apr 20, 2011
    Easily a 10 for the first 90% of the game. The only thing kept me from calling this "perfect" was how much it built up to the conclusion and then ending abruptly (which is to say how badly I wanted more from it). Great game! As for all the haters that are clearly outnumbered here, why not do yourself a favor and actually try to enjoy this game? Don't you know it takes more muscles to typeEasily a 10 for the first 90% of the game. The only thing kept me from calling this "perfect" was how much it built up to the conclusion and then ending abruptly (which is to say how badly I wanted more from it). Great game! As for all the haters that are clearly outnumbered here, why not do yourself a favor and actually try to enjoy this game? Don't you know it takes more muscles to type hate than to do this - - - > ^_^ Expand
  70. Mar 25, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 improves on many areas of its predecessor, which is no mean feat. The majority of the storyline is enjoyable and continues on from where Mass Effect left off, but it starts off poorly and in an almost unnecessary way. However, the path the story takes; spending 90% of the game recruiting your team is a disappointing way to spend your time. The core storyline missions howeverMass Effect 2 improves on many areas of its predecessor, which is no mean feat. The majority of the storyline is enjoyable and continues on from where Mass Effect left off, but it starts off poorly and in an almost unnecessary way. However, the path the story takes; spending 90% of the game recruiting your team is a disappointing way to spend your time. The core storyline missions however are fun and challenging. It was great to see that Bioware have learnt from some of the mistakes they made in Mass Effect 1; mostly the boring and repetitive Mako missions and extremely repetitive side quests where you enter the same bunker 100â Expand
  71. Mar 29, 2011
    I enjoyed this game a lot, but agree with other critics that they took away a very fun element, which was the RPG element, probably a bit less micromanagement was the way to go, not completely removing it.

I also found it a bit short, kinda disappointed that i have to pay to get any more extra content that should have been included as side quests for the money i payed...
  72. May 1, 2011
    Too empty for an RPG, too branching for a shooter, Mass Effect 2 sits in a genre all it's own. I'll admit, when it first came out, I thought Mass Effect 2 was just a lousy attempt by Bioware to make money, but with the new free DLC, it began to look like something good. With all the DLC that Bioware's released, it's finally a good game.
  73. Apr 9, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 has a good if not the best story in a game i have ever seen and there for the story is also the main selling point. The gameplay is not Super but it is ok. I would give it 9,5 if i could. But now its 10. Its my favorite game.
  74. Apr 13, 2011
    I have spend above a 100 hours in mass effect 2, so you might as well ask yourself why I dont give this game a perfect 10. Its quite simply really, there are some small flaws. I will try to explain them, but know the game is really an extremely well designed experience. With that said; I find there are two flaws in this game. First, the number of comrades you pick up in the game is toI have spend above a 100 hours in mass effect 2, so you might as well ask yourself why I dont give this game a perfect 10. Its quite simply really, there are some small flaws. I will try to explain them, but know the game is really an extremely well designed experience. With that said; I find there are two flaws in this game. First, the number of comrades you pick up in the game is to large. Now, you might ask why this could possibly be a problem. This is quite simple, all of them have a "loyalty quest" - and with so many comrades all the sidequests feel a disconnected to the main plot. Add to this that with so many comrades, you never get a special feeling for any of the comrades - like you did in the first mass effect where you had a more limited number of them. Its a shame really.

The second flaw, is the whole weapon system. This problem is more compounded by several smaller issues. First off is the "new and improved" ammo system, which blows to be honest. The first game had a heatcooldown system, which was actually fine. Now you have what they call "heat clips" that are universal, yet you cant shift them between the your weapons - this is just plain odd. besides the weapon selection is dumbed down to much. You have a severely limited amount of weapontypes to choose from, and the way you upgrade and find them feel.... well to be honest, mildly retarded. But even though the games have these flaws, I will still rate it a 9 for the solid script, plot and surperb gameplay.
  75. Apr 14, 2011

Score (9.0)
  76. May 11, 2011
    The most re playable out of any game I have ever owned, far too much fun I cant wait for the third installment. I do hope that they add more RPG element to 3 like more customizable weapons (like in ME1) and armor. And maybe even more powers for biotics. either way I'm looking forward to ME3
  77. May 18, 2011
    A satisfying game that lives up to the first game in just about every sense. The game allows you to be the galaxy's most-feared renegade or its most-loved paragon. The only downside is the removal of some RPG elements that made the first game quite enjoyable.
  78. Jan 31, 2012
    Developer's decisions are weird sometimes. Replacing simple weapons stats with a description box... yyyy... haven't they read any design book? How does a pile of text make up for some easy and graphically-presented stats?! Than they replaced a good, interesting story-line with a simple gather-a-team-and-finish-them-all thing. In result the only two thing that I've remembered from thisDeveloper's decisions are weird sometimes. Replacing simple weapons stats with a description box... yyyy... haven't they read any design book? How does a pile of text make up for some easy and graphically-presented stats?! Than they replaced a good, interesting story-line with a simple gather-a-team-and-finish-them-all thing. In result the only two thing that I've remembered from this episode is that I've died at the beginning (nice one Bioware!) and then picking up some members of my team only to make some wrong decisions at the end and almost killed them then... xD The game is very good and I had a lot of fun but I don't agree with some decisions made there.

Overall:
    ------------
    Graphics 10/10

Audio 9.5/10 (hate the death sound)

Gameplay 9/10 (getting companions -> finishing the game)
  79. May 27, 2011
    Would give this game a 10 had it not been for the simplification of the RP aspect that made ME1 exceptional. In removing the bugs, awful loading times, and terrible mechanics and travel, ME2 also removed inventory, customization, and a crucial story-arc that is truly dimensional. That being said, Mass Effect 2 is still one of the top video games that have ever been created, right up thereWould give this game a 10 had it not been for the simplification of the RP aspect that made ME1 exceptional. In removing the bugs, awful loading times, and terrible mechanics and travel, ME2 also removed inventory, customization, and a crucial story-arc that is truly dimensional. That being said, Mass Effect 2 is still one of the top video games that have ever been created, right up there with anything you throw at it. From its dazzling cut-scenes to its exceptional game-play, Mass Effect 2 MORE than made up for its flaws, and obliterated Mass Effect 1 in terms of overall quality in comparison. The story was compelling and at times even emotional. A true indication that a video game can be art. This was more than a game, and you would shoot yourself in the foot if you never gave this game a chance. Expand
  80. May 30, 2011
    Game play and story line are phenomenal, extremely satisfying, fun and action packed story line with a interesting "Karma" system. Only cons are that the facial graphics and animation in some of the cut scenes are some times awkward and that the cover system is a little corky. Another con is that the lines that Commander Shepard says in some of the cut scenes on occasion are slightlyGame play and story line are phenomenal, extremely satisfying, fun and action packed story line with a interesting "Karma" system. Only cons are that the facial graphics and animation in some of the cut scenes are some times awkward and that the cover system is a little corky. Another con is that the lines that Commander Shepard says in some of the cut scenes on occasion are slightly cheesy. Overall great game with a few minor cons that in no way affect the game play experience but could still be improved. Expand
  81. Jul 17, 2011
    The surprising event to occur at the start of ME2 got me very intrigued on my first play through and as the story unfolded I became hooked in anticipation. ME2 is not a good game because it improves on the short comings of Mass Effect 1, its good because it has an interesting story and setting that has depth and things are at stake to care about, well designed characters aesthetically andThe surprising event to occur at the start of ME2 got me very intrigued on my first play through and as the story unfolded I became hooked in anticipation. ME2 is not a good game because it improves on the short comings of Mass Effect 1, its good because it has an interesting story and setting that has depth and things are at stake to care about, well designed characters aesthetically and with personality, the decision making is not only ambitious but is pulled off very well, brilliantly and originally designed environments, creatures, costume and armour, and technically performs well at least on my PC with game play that feels satisfyingly good. The characters are good and memorable, I actually felt dread when some of them die, if you dont fall in love with Garrus, Tali, Legion, and Thane by the end of ME2 you have problems, I even grew attached to the space ship. I also want to make a big shout out to the legendary soundtrack, everyone must download the track Suicide Mission from Itunes now, its freaken awesome. The lack of depth in the RPG at first seems like a good thing as the shooting mechanics are good but after playing the game for over 60 hours it starts to show is thin side and has you missing some of the lacking RPG of the first game. I also dont think the decisions a player can make are perfect, who in their right mine didnt save the alien counsel in ME1? Who didnt save Wrex? But overall ME2 is a remarkable achievement and a new benchmark for modern single player games! Expand
  82. Sep 28, 2011
    From Bioware comes the next installment in their sci fi shooter Mass Effect 2. Things begin right after Mass Effect 1's ending and the Normandy and it's crew are sent to investigate the Terminus System where ships have dissapeared. Once again you can play as Shepard who is violently killed when the Normandy is attacked then the organization Cerberus rebuilds you and you have to find outFrom Bioware comes the next installment in their sci fi shooter Mass Effect 2. Things begin right after Mass Effect 1's ending and the Normandy and it's crew are sent to investigate the Terminus System where ships have dissapeared. Once again you can play as Shepard who is violently killed when the Normandy is attacked then the organization Cerberus rebuilds you and you have to find out what is happening and stop it. Instead of being bossed around by the alliance you are bossed around by the Illusive Man voiced by Martin Sheen. The Game looks beautiful and the sound of plasma rushing past your head is great too. The combat is similar to Mass Effect 1 there is some new powers it is lighter on the RPG side but I did not mind that because the devs put extra detail into the battles. This time you have ammo instead of guns heating up which is great. You go to different planets in the game and gather up a crew to fight the enemy. There are little side missions to gain the crews loyalty too to increse the survivability on the final mission and if you suck bad on the final mission you can even get Shepard killed. I didn't make any sexy relationships this time over all that I did was have a girl over for dinner though but then she died. The game is great I have played through it 15 times since i got it ill give it a 9.5 this review will be on my blog also at http://www.maximalistgtg.blogspot.com/ Expand
  83. May 13, 2015
    Excellent game. Developed characters, epic story, interesting plot. However, i must point out - i feel that the decision between good and bad choices (Paragon vs Renegade) affects the progression of the game in no way whatsoever. Yes, if your Paragon (goodness) is high enough, locked options will become available to you in dialogues; but as to the effect on the overall story - whetherExcellent game. Developed characters, epic story, interesting plot. However, i must point out - i feel that the decision between good and bad choices (Paragon vs Renegade) affects the progression of the game in no way whatsoever. Yes, if your Paragon (goodness) is high enough, locked options will become available to you in dialogues; but as to the effect on the overall story - whether you are an angel or a bad ass - has no effect whatsoever. I wish in some way it did, and an alternative path could be taken by a Renegade than the paragon fan. It is not the case, unfortunately. The rhythm of the game is, too, a little bit off - it seems every character (from your gathered team) waits until the very end of the game, to pour his entire life's story on you. Very anti-climatic, considering how the ending picks up the pacing of the story. These are the only negatives i have for this game - otherwise, a solid blockbuster for me! Enjoyed highly! Expand
  84. Jun 9, 2012
    To be simple, "Mass Effect 2" is a astounding game that fixes the problems "Mass Effect" had and even surpasses them with superiority. The gameplay is more of the same thing like "ME" but it's still awfully fun. Graphics and the player screen has drastically improved as well as the money system. Yes, in "ME2" weapons and armor aren't overpriced as they were in "ME". Overall a powerfulTo be simple, "Mass Effect 2" is a astounding game that fixes the problems "Mass Effect" had and even surpasses them with superiority. The gameplay is more of the same thing like "ME" but it's still awfully fun. Graphics and the player screen has drastically improved as well as the money system. Yes, in "ME2" weapons and armor aren't overpriced as they were in "ME". Overall a powerful space opera SF role playing game, a game you WILL play. Expand
  85. Mar 17, 2012
    This game is simply "Michal Bay" style production. You could call the game... limited. I do. But I still can appreciate that the way story is told is really amazing. And I mean REALLY. It is worth playing just for seeing it, feeling the loud sound while watching incredible camera doing. Even when I prefer game to be "a game", ME2 still has it's place. And I would recommend it for anyoneThis game is simply "Michal Bay" style production. You could call the game... limited. I do. But I still can appreciate that the way story is told is really amazing. And I mean REALLY. It is worth playing just for seeing it, feeling the loud sound while watching incredible camera doing. Even when I prefer game to be "a game", ME2 still has it's place. And I would recommend it for anyone who hesitated playing this because "it is bad game" comments but still can feel something special watching trailers like Skyrim's or DXHR's over and over :) You will love ME2 in the same way :) Expand
  86. Oct 30, 2011
    I didn't play the first Mass Effect so I came into this game not knowing most of the back story. But I felt like I knew the characters pretty quickly through good story telling and a fun plot. I really enjoyed the art, music and design of this game. The shooter aspect was fun and something different. There were some dull moments mining planets and equipping upgrades. I found myself notI didn't play the first Mass Effect so I came into this game not knowing most of the back story. But I felt like I knew the characters pretty quickly through good story telling and a fun plot. I really enjoyed the art, music and design of this game. The shooter aspect was fun and something different. There were some dull moments mining planets and equipping upgrades. I found myself not changing out my favorite party members very often because it wasn't really necessary. It wasn't a super deep or complex game but it worked very well. Expand
  87. Nov 14, 2011
    If you thought that the fist one was the winner than you didn't play Mass Effect 2! Absolutely stunning! Universe just got bigger and more alive! Bunch of great missions to do. Your ship just got twice bigger so did your crew! Yes they striped away some of the RPG elements from the first one. But honestly I don't miss them! Great game is great game. It's more action packed now which is okIf you thought that the fist one was the winner than you didn't play Mass Effect 2! Absolutely stunning! Universe just got bigger and more alive! Bunch of great missions to do. Your ship just got twice bigger so did your crew! Yes they striped away some of the RPG elements from the first one. But honestly I don't miss them! Great game is great game. It's more action packed now which is ok with me! Still plenty of guys/gals and aliens to talk to in game! Loved it so much bought it for PS3 game of the year edition as well!! Expand
  88. Nov 17, 2011
    Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are excellent games and well worth the purchase. The games have a wonderfully crafted story which is very well presented. The characters are memorable for their stories and are very well acted. Some of the Downloadable Content is very good, my favorites were Shadow Broker, Overlord and Stolen Memory in that order each added several hours of play time and theMass Effect and Mass Effect 2 are excellent games and well worth the purchase. The games have a wonderfully crafted story which is very well presented. The characters are memorable for their stories and are very well acted. Some of the Downloadable Content is very good, my favorites were Shadow Broker, Overlord and Stolen Memory in that order each added several hours of play time and the boss battle at the end of Shadow Broker was a refreshing departure from previous bosses. The environments all look and feel unique which is a great step from the recycled optional environments from the original. There is so much good about the game it merits atleast 2 play throughs do you can make different choices and try both renegade and paragon approaches. Where the game could use some improvement is minor and very subjective. Combat is great but the enemies are not all that varied. The first boss figh in the game is recycled several times which gets boring but it is usually only on the optional missions where this is seen. More equipment customization would be nice since the only real option is 2 armor suits some different head gear and the guns (of which there are many). I would have liked to see planet exploration from the first game make a come back but it was not all that disappointing. Overall this is a great game with excellet DLC and well worth full price let alone what ever you can get it for now. Expand
  89. Feb 19, 2012
    This game is well written, has a good variety of options and while I can agree it did get simplified slightly from the first one, I can't say those are bad things. This game was very enjoyable in all facets - story, amazing music, game play, leveling, everything is interesting and fun. They did a great job with the game and the only thing keeping me from giving it a 10 is that parts ofThis game is well written, has a good variety of options and while I can agree it did get simplified slightly from the first one, I can't say those are bad things. This game was very enjoyable in all facets - story, amazing music, game play, leveling, everything is interesting and fun. They did a great job with the game and the only thing keeping me from giving it a 10 is that parts of it felt a little rushed, it was mildly buggy at times, and it was abused with some rather stupid DLC .. weapons/armor packs anyone? That's EA at work, though, not Bioware. God, I hate EA so much. Everything they touch is tainted with bad, greedy marketing and the taint of stockholders who care more about profits this year than long term. Expand
  90. Nov 29, 2011
    Well I thought that Mass Effect 1 was a great game.... until I played Mass Effect 2. Every aspect of the game feels better once you get used to it. For example cover is much more useful and is easier to use. There is one big difference between ME and ME2 and that is the introduction of Thermal clips (read ammo). There are also some small details such as time freezing being mapped to shiftWell I thought that Mass Effect 1 was a great game.... until I played Mass Effect 2. Every aspect of the game feels better once you get used to it. For example cover is much more useful and is easier to use. There is one big difference between ME and ME2 and that is the introduction of Thermal clips (read ammo). There are also some small details such as time freezing being mapped to shift instead of space-bar by default. Expand
  91. Jan 28, 2012
    Absolutely fantastic game! Story, setting, mood, action, companions and looks are all 10/10, but unfortunately I hated the scanning planets for various materials - terrible idea! Therefore it is 9/10 instead.

Can´t wait for ME3 to come out and enthrall me again for hours and hours!
  92. Mar 3, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is simply Bioware's best RPG to date and is the closest I've played to gaming perfection. Mass Effect 3 will have to do wonders in order to knock its predecessor off its perch.
  93. Mar 13, 2012
    I love that game. I have beaten it few times now, which is a lot for a 30 hours long game. I guess that says everything. As much as it could be better game and it could incorporate your choices in more distinctive way (they are mainly one-liners in dialogue), It still has lovable universe, great plot line, rewarding gameplay and it is a "Star Wars saga of Games".
  94. Mar 22, 2012
    Took away 2 points because it's hard to transition from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. A lot of the customization has been stripped away, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (no more having to sell/gel items every 5 minutes because of the item limit) but some players enjoy the incremental upgrades in games. The other thing is the sudden change in controls. What used to be run is nowTook away 2 points because it's hard to transition from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. A lot of the customization has been stripped away, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (no more having to sell/gel items every 5 minutes because of the item limit) but some players enjoy the incremental upgrades in games. The other thing is the sudden change in controls. What used to be run is now pause. What used to be pause is now run. What used to be interact is now order squad mate, and the new run key is also the new interact key. So if you're coming straight from ME1 be prepared to get frustrated while you get used to the new controls. Besides those 2 things the game is great and a huge improvement over (the already great) mass effect 1. And the way it carries over decisions made in the previous game adds a whole new layer of immersion and replayability. Expand
  95. Mar 22, 2012
    I quite enjoyed this game. It improved on ME1s combat and it was a great story as well. The customization of the weapons saddened me. Too few weapons, no way to improve via modifications. Also, I disliked the running. You couldn't run any other direction but straight, and you couldn't even run for too long. But none of this affected my score too much, if I could give a 9.5, I would. AndI quite enjoyed this game. It improved on ME1s combat and it was a great story as well. The customization of the weapons saddened me. Too few weapons, no way to improve via modifications. Also, I disliked the running. You couldn't run any other direction but straight, and you couldn't even run for too long. But none of this affected my score too much, if I could give a 9.5, I would. And despite these minor faults, the game was still an absolute blast to play. Expand
  96. Aug 25, 2012
    Let's start with the good points of the game. The combat has been vastly improved and is now way better. The characters are great, they're all unique and have a good backstory to them. The story is... ok for the most part, a bit stupid and nonsensical here and there but it's nothing big. Now for the bad: exploration is completely gone. Instead of improving it like they did with the combatLet's start with the good points of the game. The combat has been vastly improved and is now way better. The characters are great, they're all unique and have a good backstory to them. The story is... ok for the most part, a bit stupid and nonsensical here and there but it's nothing big. Now for the bad: exploration is completely gone. Instead of improving it like they did with the combat they just removed it completely. The replacement for it, the mining game, is not any better. The galaxy seems smaller now but the multitude of hub worlds sort of fills in the gap left by it. They also removed the inventory system (which was very bad in ME1) and replaced it with an upgrade system. It's good but it still would've been better to have an inventory. Conclusion: Small problems here and there but the good parts outweigh them. 9/10 Expand
  97. Mar 9, 2013
    Definetly the best game in the series in my opinion. The gameplay is pretty much the same as the other games, but the missions are much more interesting and i really liked the system of having to earn your squads trust. The story is probably also the best in the series and it comes up with some difficult choices every now and then.
  98. Nov 22, 2012
    If you like RPGs this game is a must. Very nice story line combined with charismatic characters and a decent combat system mixing the engaging FPS style with the tactical RPG elements. The scenarios are small and linear but the game itself is so epic that I can't see myself giving it anything but a 9.

WARNING: Half or more of the game are dialogues and cut scenes, you can skip

WARNING: Half or more of the game are dialogues and cut scenes, you can skip everything if you want of course but the very essence of the game you won't experience if you do. ME2 isn't Counter Strike, RPG comes first, FPS second. Keep it in mind.
  99. Jul 31, 2012
    A true Sci-Fi game. With amazing visuals, music, writng, voice acting, and gameplay, a diverse cast of characters, a dark and mysterious plot. You can feel actual pressure for your decisions. Option of importing a character from ME1 is amazing.
  100. Jun 26, 2014
    Sequels are always a scary thing. Mass Effect 2 came out and a lot of stuff that I found accessible enough from 1 was simplified. Sure, I didn't particularly enjoy driving around on a planet for 10 minutes, but would have preferred that over probing. Each game was better in its own way. I liked the wider range of well, everything you could do in 1, but enjoyed the story and characters moreSequels are always a scary thing. Mass Effect 2 came out and a lot of stuff that I found accessible enough from 1 was simplified. Sure, I didn't particularly enjoy driving around on a planet for 10 minutes, but would have preferred that over probing. Each game was better in its own way. I liked the wider range of well, everything you could do in 1, but enjoyed the story and characters more in 2. I like to think the thought of reapers made everyone get better training and stop being as clunky, but that's just me. Expand

1. Mass Effect 2 resumes with pride the path opened by the first game. This sequel is a lesson of how things should be made.
  2. Mass Effect 2 delivers a story that's deeper than what many novelists are capable of, and its action is better than what most Hollywood directors are creating nowadays. It's an addictive, engrossing experience that many gamers will replay over and over while they hold their breath waiting for the third game.
  3. A brilliant mix of shooter and role-playing, filled with great characters, excellent design, lots of action and clever dialogue. It's a shame though that Bioware did not improve the inventory and skill system of the first game, but actually reduced it even more. I really wished there were more customization options, more ways to develop and gear up my characters. But all these are merely small points of criticism, since there is so much to feel and experience in this game. Mass Effect 2 is a thrilling, emotional ride and ultimately every bit as good as its predecessor.