8.7

1. Aug 5, 2013
    The fact that this game feels like just another generic TPS with a dialogue wheel bothers me if this could've combined the RPG elements of Mass Effect 1 and blended them in perfectly with the new gun mechanics it would've have been much happier, also the fact they give the finger to decisions the player made in ME 1 really bothers me still a fairly decent game.
  2. Oct 30, 2011
    I didn't play the first Mass Effect so I came into this game not knowing most of the back story. But I felt like I knew the characters pretty quickly through good story telling and a fun plot. I really enjoyed the art, music and design of this game. The shooter aspect was fun and something different. There were some dull moments mining planets and equipping upgrades. I found myself notI didn't play the first Mass Effect so I came into this game not knowing most of the back story. But I felt like I knew the characters pretty quickly through good story telling and a fun plot. I really enjoyed the art, music and design of this game. The shooter aspect was fun and something different. There were some dull moments mining planets and equipping upgrades. I found myself not changing out my favorite party members very often because it wasn't really necessary. It wasn't a super deep or complex game but it worked very well. Expand
  3. Mar 10, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 is the definition of hit-and-miss. Story-telling is great while the story itself was barely satisfactory. Fighting the various Geth incarnations was thrilling, where swatting the husks on the Collector's ship was frustrating. That mission is at best a fly swatting simulator, at worst, the laziest level design I've ever seen. If you want Sci-Fi story, watch Fire Fly. Grab ME2Mass Effect 2 is the definition of hit-and-miss. Story-telling is great while the story itself was barely satisfactory. Fighting the various Geth incarnations was thrilling, where swatting the husks on the Collector's ship was frustrating. That mission is at best a fly swatting simulator, at worst, the laziest level design I've ever seen. If you want Sci-Fi story, watch Fire Fly. Grab ME2 if it's in the bargain bin. Expand
  4. Mar 11, 2012
    My review for this one is similar to the first. Gameplay: Walk slowly down hallways, aim slowly at bad guys, press a button to take cover as they slowly walk and aim at you. Like every other console third person shooter, only especially slow. The story; you are a space marine fighting an alien force bent on destroying life. Sound familiar? It should, and I shouldn't have to list theMy review for this one is similar to the first. Gameplay: Walk slowly down hallways, aim slowly at bad guys, press a button to take cover as they slowly walk and aim at you. Like every other console third person shooter, only especially slow. The story; you are a space marine fighting an alien force bent on destroying life. Sound familiar? It should, and I shouldn't have to list the HUNDREDS of examples. The definition of average. The one thing this game has over similar titles is the speech options and customizations that allow you to feel like your game is special. It's not, but at least they pull off the ability to make you feel it is. Mass effect 2 has one issue in particular that I feel should be discussed. Many of the things you attempt are oddly limited, despite the games hinting towards your ability to accomplish such things. For example, the second time I played the game, I played as fem shep, just so I could totally lez out (Im a typical 20 something bro). The game seemed like it would allow you to do whatever (or whomever) I wished, but then at the end, denied. So I just figured girl on girl action just wasn't in the game...until I found out later that is was, only with specific characters. One of those characters is NOT the girl who says shes slept with women before! Say what you will about gay stuff, but that's just bad game design. A good game will either flat out tell you something is impossible (fable will show you if a character digs chicks before you even talk to them) or never present you with an option to waste your time (halflife has no romance). A bad game design will let the player waste his time doing something it hints towards being possible, only to punish them later. We play games to get away from that crap. Many aspects of this games choose your own adventure style play are bad game design, even more so than the first. Expand
  5. Mar 22, 2012
    I quite enjoyed this game. It improved on ME1s combat and it was a great story as well. The customization of the weapons saddened me. Too few weapons, no way to improve via modifications. Also, I disliked the running. You couldn't run any other direction but straight, and you couldn't even run for too long. But none of this affected my score too much, if I could give a 9.5, I would. AndI quite enjoyed this game. It improved on ME1s combat and it was a great story as well. The customization of the weapons saddened me. Too few weapons, no way to improve via modifications. Also, I disliked the running. You couldn't run any other direction but straight, and you couldn't even run for too long. But none of this affected my score too much, if I could give a 9.5, I would. And despite these minor faults, the game was still an absolute blast to play. Expand
  6. Mar 6, 2014
    This game was my first in the Mass Effect series. Unfortunately I discovered the series way after it was popular. So at first I didn't know what the hub bub was about. If your new to the series at first it just seems a little flat. It seemed it was more about graphics and such. And the series seemed to be a more modern and not Star Wars universe rip off of KOTOR.

After you get playing

After you get playing you see what the series is about. It has a lot going for it. First it is a first person shooter for the average Joe. Then they throw in coordinated squad combat. They up the anti by giving you a character that can allow you to chose good or bad actions, as you choose without ruining the storyline. They wisely have you playing the title character but allow you to customize your story and looks. They also have you choose a class, but allow you to chose the way your character levels up. Which can greatly alter your game experience when you choose to replay the game.

Then they allow you to upgrade weapons, your ship and even choose how your squad mates level up. You can even just let your squad mates help you in fights or command them who to attack. But to make the game better they add mini games. Which just adds an entire new level of enjoyment to the game.

But the big draw is probably story. The game has a story line for you. You make choices that can affect the way your companions see you. And may subtly affect other aspects of the story. On top of that story you get other stories very much like the KOTOR series does.

In the end the game seems to take the best of the KOTOR series and change it up enough so that you have similarly great aspects. But with enough changes to make the system seem fresh and exciting.

Because you can choose to go in so many directions the game has great replay value. Certainly a game worth owning. And probably should be in any RPG fan's collection.
  7. Feb 28, 2012
    Bioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. GoBioshock has invented a new genre and I like it very much: a tactical-third person-role playing-shooter. If you enjoy playing video games of any kind, I highly recommend it: they've perfected the type of game they were shooting for in the original game (a somewhat flawed, but also brilliant role-playing shooter). It reminds me most of Deus Ex, but far more fantastical and fascinating. Go buy this game now, as well as it's original incarnation! Expand
  8. Yaz
    Sep 5, 2010
    This game is great. The atmosphere makes up for a lack of variety in combat. I did not like the restrictive environments (you can't really go anywhere on the Citadel for example), but in general if you liked the first, you should give this one a chance. Planet scanning does suck though.
  9. Sep 5, 2010
    With attractive graphics, a fantastic score, convincing voice action and a compelling storyline, Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first game left off and will keep you playing late into the night. The second game has improved a few of the niggling gameplay issues in the first game, but still has a little room for improvement. It's easy to forgive any minor flaws in the game though, simplyWith attractive graphics, a fantastic score, convincing voice action and a compelling storyline, Mass Effect 2 picks up where the first game left off and will keep you playing late into the night. The second game has improved a few of the niggling gameplay issues in the first game, but still has a little room for improvement. It's easy to forgive any minor flaws in the game though, simply because of its finesse and style overall. The Mass Effect games so far have been two of the most evocative titles released in the last 5 years. If you've played the first game, you probably already bought the second. If you've played neither, start now. Expand
  10. Oct 15, 2010
    Ok, so i've had this game since it came out. Beat it twice- Once time Good- One time doing what i would do in real life. So, the Good: Great Graphics - Superb Story Line - Great Characters The Bad - The RPG elements have been downgraded from ME1. It just doesn't feel the same, strategic feel, of the first ME. I can just run around pressing (spacebar) on everything. With that aside, onlyOk, so i've had this game since it came out. Beat it twice- Once time Good- One time doing what i would do in real life. So, the Good: Great Graphics - Superb Story Line - Great Characters The Bad - The RPG elements have been downgraded from ME1. It just doesn't feel the same, strategic feel, of the first ME. I can just run around pressing (spacebar) on everything. With that aside, only small glitches in acting/voice appear rarely. I've had only 2 problems like this since it came out - 1) Miranda -on her loyalty mission- was floating above us when we came out of the elevator. 2) The sound of cars (In Lair of The Shadow Broker) kept continuing after i crashed the detective, and fought her guards. So, besides the RPG elements and rare glitches, this is a very, very good game. With the captivating story line, and stunning graphics, i only wonder how they will beat this with ME3 (It IS a trilogy, and ME3 WILL come out, in-case some of you did not know). The only thing they could've done better, was tone up the RPG element, which i believe they will do in ME3. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is thinking about getting it. Expand
  11. Oct 24, 2010
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are too many good things in this game to list them all, which is fitting since the question isn't "What is good about this game". The question is "What ISN'T good about this game", and the most i can come up with (after playing it many times) is the mining mini game. This is the only part of the game that is seriously lack luster. The last boss was also a slightly disappointing climax, and an illogical overall "evil scheme" made by the bad guys in ME2.

That said, there are flaws in all games, however compared to the first mass effect (and many other RPGs), Mass Effect 2 is the closest I've seen to a perfect game in the recent decade ever since the first xbox and the N64 was put out of commission.

Overall, it is an excellent game and a testament to the fact that Bioware remains on the cutting edge of western RPGs, and further solidifies themselves as a world renown game developer
  12. Nov 21, 2010
    A really excellent game. The story is very good, and the outcome of the game can vary dramatically depending on your actions, which I find to be a big plus. The characters are very interesting and fun to interact with. The connection with the previous game and promise of more to come in the sequel feel like a real plus, as opposed to just a marketing gimmick. There are a few very minorA really excellent game. The story is very good, and the outcome of the game can vary dramatically depending on your actions, which I find to be a big plus. The characters are very interesting and fun to interact with. The connection with the previous game and promise of more to come in the sequel feel like a real plus, as opposed to just a marketing gimmick. There are a few very minor things that bugged me and keep my rating at a 9 instead of 10, but I still think this game is well worth buying for anyone who enjoys RPGs at all. Expand
  13. Nov 26, 2010
    One of the best games I've ever played, right up there with Half Life 2 and Call of Duty 4. I don't generally like 3rd person shooters, but Bioware did a great job on it. Game play is very engrossing and story line is quite good (though not the best).
  14. Dec 31, 2011
    There are non-stop complains about mass effect 2 after its release. I, for one, genuinely believe this game is a ground breaking game that beautifully combined shooter gameplay with a role playing storyline and it's also the best game Bioware offered so far after Baldur's Gate series. The most problems people complained at are actually what makes mass effect 2 truly shine. I understand dieThere are non-stop complains about mass effect 2 after its release. I, for one, genuinely believe this game is a ground breaking game that beautifully combined shooter gameplay with a role playing storyline and it's also the best game Bioware offered so far after Baldur's Gate series. The most problems people complained at are actually what makes mass effect 2 truly shine. I understand die hard RPG fans are very hard to please, but the game has to evolve to get better. Mass Effect 2 did it and did it brilliantly. First, the removal of redundant inventory makes mass effect 2 a very well paced game. One of major bad design in mass effect is its painful inventory system. so you are a distinguish soldier and a spectre and you still have to kill mobs to loot better weapons and armors or sell those stuff for credits? why the council does not supply the best gears and funds to you? Also, dont you feel weird that a human being can carry dozens of guns and armors with him. Mass Effect 2 did it right, shepard can only carry several guns on mission and every weapon you start with is still viable in later game, also you get funds directly from Cerberus. Those changes are made for better experience. One thing I do miss is the weapon mods. they could do it like deus ex that gives a small and limited space to store some extra stuff. Second, character development is still a huge part of gameplay and the skills and abilities are still necessary for combat and social especially when mass effect 2's shooting mechanics is actually not that great. Some people think that role-playing means running around for meaningless side quests (mass effect 1 comes to mind) and keeping track of stats. I would those are not what defines role playing game. Mass Effect 2 gives the player the true immersion that you can expect from a role playing story line. That means taking a role and feel your role not plodding with meaningless exploration and stats. Expand
  15. Mar 13, 2011
    Very fun game. Deserved GOTY on IGN.

Good: Loved the first one, second one's storyline was epic too. Soundtrack epic. Voice acting epic. Beautiful worlds. Graphics were decent. Problems: mining is bad. not enough RPG elements. AI squadmates are slightly annoying.
  16. Mar 25, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 improves on many areas of its predecessor, which is no mean feat. The majority of the storyline is enjoyable and continues on from where Mass Effect left off, but it starts off poorly and in an almost unnecessary way. However, the path the story takes; spending 90% of the game recruiting your team is a disappointing way to spend your time. The core storyline missions howeverMass Effect 2 improves on many areas of its predecessor, which is no mean feat. The majority of the storyline is enjoyable and continues on from where Mass Effect left off, but it starts off poorly and in an almost unnecessary way. However, the path the story takes; spending 90% of the game recruiting your team is a disappointing way to spend your time. The core storyline missions however are fun and challenging. It was great to see that Bioware have learnt from some of the mistakes they made in Mass Effect 1; mostly the boring and repetitive Mako missions and extremely repetitive side quests where you enter the same bunker 100â Expand
  17. Mar 28, 2011
    Too many differences between the first and second chapter of this title may disorient some Mass Effect's fans. The game is drastically action-oriented and it should be classified as an action-rpg.
    The game experience is fun and immersive. It has many strengths, but also some weaknesses that puts it still away from being a true masterpiece. Pros:
    -Great storyline: worthy of Star Wars
    -Great storyline: worthy of Star Wars series
    -Detailed background history
    -Great character psychological profiles
    -Fluid and intensive action
    -Immersive scenarios
    -Good sound-tracks
    -Many hours of game

Cons:
    -Too easy, even the most difficult levels of play
    -Some graphical glitches in the dialogues
    -Really poor and boring exploration feature
    -Few and anonymous sub-quests

Love it or hate it... two thumbs up for me!
  18. Apr 9, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 has a good if not the best story in a game i have ever seen and there for the story is also the main selling point. The gameplay is not Super but it is ok. I would give it 9,5 if i could. But now its 10. Its my favorite game.
  19. Sep 5, 2011
    Expands the story very well, although heavily spoilt by amount of DLCs that you have to buy to make the game even halfway decent in length. Paid DLCs is a ripoff no matter how it's marketed, the game is VERY short even with them all.
  20. May 11, 2011
    The most re playable out of any game I have ever owned, far too much fun I cant wait for the third installment. I do hope that they add more RPG element to 3 like more customizable weapons (like in ME1) and armor. And maybe even more powers for biotics. either way I'm looking forward to ME3
  21. Sep 16, 2011
    I was impressed by ME1 and when i see the first reviews of ME2 i was sure it will get 10 from me. Unfortunately, reality was brutal. Why BioWare removed sightseeing the planets and substitiuted this dull minigame? Why there's no many weapons and armors? For me, ME2 is a step back.
  22. Mar 17, 2012
    This game is simply "Michal Bay" style production. You could call the game... limited. I do. But I still can appreciate that the way story is told is really amazing. And I mean REALLY. It is worth playing just for seeing it, feeling the loud sound while watching incredible camera doing. Even when I prefer game to be "a game", ME2 still has it's place. And I would recommend it for anyoneThis game is simply "Michal Bay" style production. You could call the game... limited. I do. But I still can appreciate that the way story is told is really amazing. And I mean REALLY. It is worth playing just for seeing it, feeling the loud sound while watching incredible camera doing. Even when I prefer game to be "a game", ME2 still has it's place. And I would recommend it for anyone who hesitated playing this because "it is bad game" comments but still can feel something special watching trailers like Skyrim's or DXHR's over and over :) You will love ME2 in the same way :) Expand
  23. Dec 20, 2011
    I can't really say much about Mass Effect 2 that other people on metacritic and the rest of the Web haven't said already. For all the bugs the vehicle exploration stuff had, it was a nice touch, and help make the game world feel bigger. The planet-scanning was, frankly, terrible, and a bag replacement for the Mako. Also, the main plot was illogical (Derelict reaper that popped up out ofI can't really say much about Mass Effect 2 that other people on metacritic and the rest of the Web haven't said already. For all the bugs the vehicle exploration stuff had, it was a nice touch, and help make the game world feel bigger. The planet-scanning was, frankly, terrible, and a bag replacement for the Mako. Also, the main plot was illogical (Derelict reaper that popped up out of nowhere, no one thinks to show it to the council; the final choice has no impact on what happens in ME3). Aside from that, this is a fairly solid third-person shooter, with much improved music, graphics, and game mechanics over the first, but with a weaker plot and less RPG elements. Oh, and for those who want to get the Kasumi DLC; Don't. It's a waste of your **** money, trust me. Expand
  24. Jan 10, 2014
    Mass Effect trilogy has been One of most polished Storytelling Action Graphics and Gameplay combined in one. Apart from the Final Ending Controversy in Mass Effect 3 This is one of the most played and loved RPGs adventures to date. I would have to say if new to series than Please Play in Sequence. Mass Effect 2 is probably the best of series. A game which will make you finish that next bitMass Effect trilogy has been One of most polished Storytelling Action Graphics and Gameplay combined in one. Apart from the Final Ending Controversy in Mass Effect 3 This is one of the most played and loved RPGs adventures to date. I would have to say if new to series than Please Play in Sequence. Mass Effect 2 is probably the best of series. A game which will make you finish that next bit of story everytime Expand
  25. Feb 19, 2012
    This game is well written, has a good variety of options and while I can agree it did get simplified slightly from the first one, I can't say those are bad things. This game was very enjoyable in all facets - story, amazing music, game play, leveling, everything is interesting and fun. They did a great job with the game and the only thing keeping me from giving it a 10 is that parts ofThis game is well written, has a good variety of options and while I can agree it did get simplified slightly from the first one, I can't say those are bad things. This game was very enjoyable in all facets - story, amazing music, game play, leveling, everything is interesting and fun. They did a great job with the game and the only thing keeping me from giving it a 10 is that parts of it felt a little rushed, it was mildly buggy at times, and it was abused with some rather stupid DLC .. weapons/armor packs anyone? That's EA at work, though, not Bioware. God, I hate EA so much. Everything they touch is tainted with bad, greedy marketing and the taint of stockholders who care more about profits this year than long term. Expand
  26. Mar 18, 2012
    Game of a generation. My kids will enjoy this 10, 15 years down the line (if there is still Earth to play this on)
    This is a fine-made RPG/FPS game and great sequel to the already successful Mass Effect game. Two points were taken off for these reasons: 1) Looting system is gone. This is not cool (especially when they decided not to bring it in ME3); 2) DLCs involve story-critical missions. I had to go back and get all the DLCs before I start ME3. These years this has been a game publishing trend - (FFXIII-2 I'm talking about you) using DLC as a lure out of hard-working (or playing) gamers' pockets. We'd pay if it's an excellent (or is a fanboy of) game, but not through these little DLC packages. There should totally have been a GOTY edition made to include all DLCs so I didn't have to collect them one by one painfully through the Cerberus Network. I am saddened today to learn that the Mass Effect series ended up like every other (pinnacle at 2, tragedy at 3): Uncharted, Gears of War, God of War etc...
  27. Mar 6, 2012
    Though expanding the universe and bringing in more colorful characters, the overall story falls flat on its face when it comes to wrapping the game up. The cheapness and lack of interest from the team during the final moments is almost palpable. There is a decent amount of character customization, but far less when compared to the previous installment. Exploring the different planets is aThough expanding the universe and bringing in more colorful characters, the overall story falls flat on its face when it comes to wrapping the game up. The cheapness and lack of interest from the team during the final moments is almost palpable. There is a decent amount of character customization, but far less when compared to the previous installment. Exploring the different planets is a fun affair, but lacks solidness.

Also, the fact that the game is bogged down by countless DLC snippets of storyline leaves a bad taste in this gamer's mouth. I am all for more content, but the majority of it felt as though it were being ripped out from the main game on the disc. The days when video games were video games, instead of constant sources of income for companies that already have billions of dollars are long, long gone.
  28. Mar 9, 2012
    Great game but doesnt stands up to Mass Effect 1, improved on gameplay but downgraded the RPG elements of the prequel, improved on some aspects such as the inventory but also simplified it by alot.
    Epic beggining and even more epic end!
  29. Mar 13, 2012
    I love that game. I have beaten it few times now, which is a lot for a 30 hours long game. I guess that says everything. As much as it could be better game and it could incorporate your choices in more distinctive way (they are mainly one-liners in dialogue), It still has lovable universe, great plot line, rewarding gameplay and it is a "Star Wars saga of Games".
  30. Aug 25, 2012
    Let's start with the good points of the game. The combat has been vastly improved and is now way better. The characters are great, they're all unique and have a good backstory to them. The story is... ok for the most part, a bit stupid and nonsensical here and there but it's nothing big. Now for the bad: exploration is completely gone. Instead of improving it like they did with the combatLet's start with the good points of the game. The combat has been vastly improved and is now way better. The characters are great, they're all unique and have a good backstory to them. The story is... ok for the most part, a bit stupid and nonsensical here and there but it's nothing big. Now for the bad: exploration is completely gone. Instead of improving it like they did with the combat they just removed it completely. The replacement for it, the mining game, is not any better. The galaxy seems smaller now but the multitude of hub worlds sort of fills in the gap left by it. They also removed the inventory system (which was very bad in ME1) and replaced it with an upgrade system. It's good but it still would've been better to have an inventory. Conclusion: Small problems here and there but the good parts outweigh them. 9/10 Expand
  31. Jul 31, 2012
    A true Sci-Fi game. With amazing visuals, music, writng, voice acting, and gameplay, a diverse cast of characters, a dark and mysterious plot. You can feel actual pressure for your decisions. Option of importing a character from ME1 is amazing.
  32. Jul 24, 2012
    This was the first Mass Effect game that I played, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like most Bioware RPGs, it featured above-average writing and character development. Throughout the game I felt invested in the story and the characters, who I grew to care about and (eventually) mourn their deaths. The gameplay in general was fun and the environments were interesting. My main complaint is thatThis was the first Mass Effect game that I played, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Like most Bioware RPGs, it featured above-average writing and character development. Throughout the game I felt invested in the story and the characters, who I grew to care about and (eventually) mourn their deaths. The gameplay in general was fun and the environments were interesting. My main complaint is that there is little you can do to customize your characters: your main character can wear different armor pieces which are slightly different, and along the way you collect weapon upgrades which are automatic. The only real customization is in your talent points, but there are few of these and they do not generally affect gameplay as much as you might expect. I ended up taking these limitations with a grain of salt and just enjoyed blasting things instead, but I could see this being a significant setback for some players. Expand
  33. Jul 27, 2012
    Mass Effect 2 should be the game that sets the bar for all other games, from its amazing combat system to its interesting paragon/renegade effects i couldn't bring myself to stop playing it. Perhaps one of the greatest features of this game is that every shepard is different, not just aesthetically but in the advancements, weapons and classes. I spent close to 36 hours playing this gameMass Effect 2 should be the game that sets the bar for all other games, from its amazing combat system to its interesting paragon/renegade effects i couldn't bring myself to stop playing it. Perhaps one of the greatest features of this game is that every shepard is different, not just aesthetically but in the advancements, weapons and classes. I spent close to 36 hours playing this game with all the DLC and enjoyed every second of building up a squad and slowly playing through their loyalty missions in order to leave no one behind at the final mission. My only criticism is that it is it is less open world then it should be as after all you are given a galaxy to explore and yet can only walk around on a small number of them and 3/4 have no purpose other than mineral gathering. But overall the style of this game has one me over 9/10. Expand
  34. Nov 11, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is a modern day RPG masterpiece. From the story to the music, everything is pretty much near perfect. This is a must play for any RPG fan. ME2's development started right after EA acquired Bioware, but had a mostly hands off approach to the game.

ME1's main flaw was it's battle system. It was lackluster and needed improvement. Bioware decided to take the risk and incorporate a "real" FPS system in ME2. Well, that risk payed off bigtime in one of the best blockbuster RPG's of our time.

Other traditional RPG elements such as inventory management are eliminated helping to streamline your experiences. And you know what? It works, it fits. It helps you focus on more important, and more enjoyable things in the game. Having a simple upgrade system works much better.

ME2 takes the game to all new levels. A deeper, more interesting battle system. The character interactions are excellent. The development, the actions you take, the choices you make really do affect the outcome of this story.

As in Classic Star Wars fashion, the second movie raises the stakes even higher, is darker and more serious than ever. The real possibility of your teammates dying in the final, suicide mission was a brilliant move by Bioware. The game climaxes at the best point the end where you see all your work, all of your choices unfold, leaving some to the next and final part of the trilogy. The raise in tension is felt throughout the game, and drives the player forward.

The soundtrack is excellent and accurately reflects such high stakes.

ME2 really surpassed the bar for RPG's. It had me glued to the game. When I am glued to a game playing it every day from start to finish, I know its a hit.

Its just such a shame that it's sequel, ME3 was unfortunately a lackluster, rushed finish and a real letdown. Obviously, EA had involved themselves in the final game, which really screwed up ME3.

Most gamers will recognize ME2 as the real climax of the series and the best out of the 3.

35. Sep 13, 2012
    The game is good and a must play for ME fans, but the move from non-ammo count firearms to ammo seems almost nonsensical as it completely changes how one sees the unique futuristic weapons. Scrounging for ammo is one of the least enjoyable aspects of shooters. Game was kinda ruined by the constant purposeful delaying of the final mission and the environment (galaxy) seemed so much moreThe game is good and a must play for ME fans, but the move from non-ammo count firearms to ammo seems almost nonsensical as it completely changes how one sees the unique futuristic weapons. Scrounging for ammo is one of the least enjoyable aspects of shooters. Game was kinda ruined by the constant purposeful delaying of the final mission and the environment (galaxy) seemed so much more claustrophobic for some reason. Due to the above issues the game feels more of a grind than the first. Expand
  36. Jan 11, 2014
    The graphics are great, the story is great, the game-play is great and the soundtrack it great. Over all this is a very fun game and it should not be missed out on. This game is GREAT!!!
  37. Jan 19, 2014
    Most things that got potential in the first game were completly removed, but the game works better as a TPS than as a tactical RPG. I am a little dissapointed because the story is weaker and some opportunities were missed, by it has a better gameplay with combat that actually works.
  38. Jun 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game. A game where choices actually matter, and the galaxy is epic and brilliant. This game is only held back by its lack of true side/optional missions, boring scanning for minerals, and an ending that really doesnt matter what your choices were, all you have to do is follow a flow chart Expand
  39. May 18, 2013
    In short to keep with game play ability length. Mass Effect 2 is a Action third person shooter first and foremost.
    ANYONE thinking ME2 would continue on the deep and compelling Universe and story lines set up in Mass effect will be greatly disappointed. Even the save game transfers from ME are mostly meaningless as all the carry over choices (with exception of 1 but ill not ruin that here) are minimalized and finished off with NO future adventure or interaction (beyond a short conversation here and there).

In short the Open World Storyline design of Mass Effect is removed and replaced with a singular Linear Third Person Shooter design.

now none of that is terrible (well other then short length of game, thats unforgivable), if thats what you went in expecting. Sadly EA marketted this game as the spiritual and RPG expansion of the first to up box sales at release. Typical EA.

Mass Effect 2 is a Sci Fi third person shooter. Its has semi interesting characters and you even get to decide who you romance (WOOT, from choosing if a alien speices lives or dies in ME1 to who you get a black screen with in ME2).

In the end, If you like the Mass Effect Universe and like shooters, you will like this game
    Just dont go into it thinking your getting the next installment of the original Mass Effect RPG. That franchise stopped production after #1
  40. May 23, 2013
    The RPG elements have been removed almost entirely of this game and makes this game only a third person shooter. The story in the game is full of as many plot holes as a cardboard box after you took a tommy gun to it, and the characters, although good, have no purpose of being there for the most part. if you want a nice TPS this game is for you, otherwise just find something else you willThe RPG elements have been removed almost entirely of this game and makes this game only a third person shooter. The story in the game is full of as many plot holes as a cardboard box after you took a tommy gun to it, and the characters, although good, have no purpose of being there for the most part. if you want a nice TPS this game is for you, otherwise just find something else you will thank yourself latter. There is no connection to the main plot and the events that transpire are pointless. How this game is considered one of the best ever is beyond me but for a TPS it is passable. Overall a 6/10 a above average game that can only be recommended to some shooter lovers of games like Gears of War. Expand
  41. May 30, 2013
    Mass Effect went from being a wonderful, epic RPG that was very unique, to a poor cover based shooter. I don't hate cover based shooters, but Mass Effect 2 did a terrible job with it. The enemies are predictable and do the same damning thing every time that it just becomes boring! I can't recommend this game, but it doesn't mean it was bad. Just very disappointing if you played the original.
  42. Jul 30, 2013
    By far the best part of the series. Mass Effect 2 offers great RPG gameplay within a very well-designed world, tense atmosphere, interesting characters, and some choices and decisions that really matter (at least to some extent). Half of the game is exploring, talking to people, making decisions. I have to admit that I never really very much liked the other half: The actual gameplay isBy far the best part of the series. Mass Effect 2 offers great RPG gameplay within a very well-designed world, tense atmosphere, interesting characters, and some choices and decisions that really matter (at least to some extent). Half of the game is exploring, talking to people, making decisions. I have to admit that I never really very much liked the other half: The actual gameplay is rather dull, but for a third person cover shooter, it does provide a decent gameplay experience. It's a bit disappointing that this is actually the part of the series with the RPG elements dumbed down the most (a lot more in ME1, a bit more in ME3), but still a very good game with excellent storyline. Expand
  43. Feb 5, 2014
    a clear improvement over the original. improved graphics and gameplay, along with an even better story than the first. your character personality can be changed once again based on your actions. the ending is influenced by how loyal your squad members are to you which happens during loyalty missions, and in some cases, dialogue choices. the gameplay itself has been greatly improved and nowa clear improvement over the original. improved graphics and gameplay, along with an even better story than the first. your character personality can be changed once again based on your actions. the ending is influenced by how loyal your squad members are to you which happens during loyalty missions, and in some cases, dialogue choices. the gameplay itself has been greatly improved and now has special actions that take place during some cutscenes, somewhat like qte's. left clicking is a renegade action, and right clicking is a paragon action. there's a larger variety of guns and powers now, although no gun mods which is a little disappointing. the voice acting has improved a bit, and the characters are more interesting now, which is also nice. the only problems are that there are still glitches, mainly getting stuck on pieces of scenery and having to wait to die or restarting the mission or last save. Expand
  44. Sep 24, 2013
    Interesante y adictivo. Mejora mucho la historia con respecto a su predecesor, y ofrece otra perspectiva del universo Mass Effect. Es cierto que pierde elementos de rol (algo de lo que muchos se han quejado), pero no le doy importancia porque nunca consideré a esta saga "de rol". El primer Mass Effect ya me pareció más un "shooter" que otra cosa y este es una evolución un tanto lógica delInteresante y adictivo. Mejora mucho la historia con respecto a su predecesor, y ofrece otra perspectiva del universo Mass Effect. Es cierto que pierde elementos de rol (algo de lo que muchos se han quejado), pero no le doy importancia porque nunca consideré a esta saga "de rol". El primer Mass Effect ya me pareció más un "shooter" que otra cosa y este es una evolución un tanto lógica del estilo creado con el primer título. Expand
  45. Oct 21, 2013
    The abundant choices and seeing them impact and unfold as you play the game makes the choices seem meaningful. The combat, however is standard, wonderful game overall.
  46. Oct 27, 2013
    A gem of a game, engaging story with fun, sometimes tricky combat situations and also a surprisingly re-playable game where actions, sometimes silly and insignificant have followed you through the story [more game if you kept a save game from the first game]. Love it, Thank you Bioware.

Gab
    LoyalistN7
  47. Apr 12, 2014
    I love this game. I love it so much, you can sink in it's own world so easily, the world of ME2 feels so alive, everyone reacts to the things you do, it's a feeling of a world being alive I had in Fallout 3 the last time, and it's (besides Bully which is an amazing game too) the only game I had such a feeling in. (Wow, this sounds kinda stoned.) I can JUST recommend it. It may be that II love this game. I love it so much, you can sink in it's own world so easily, the world of ME2 feels so alive, everyone reacts to the things you do, it's a feeling of a world being alive I had in Fallout 3 the last time, and it's (besides Bully which is an amazing game too) the only game I had such a feeling in. (Wow, this sounds kinda stoned.) I can JUST recommend it. It may be that I like the game so much, just because I didn't expect much, to be honest, when I bought it I didn't even wanna install it. Then I watched like 2 Reviews of it and started playing it. But still, you should really get it.

I REALLY don't know how anyone could give this game anything under 80.
  48. Nov 7, 2013
    Without a doubt the best series i've ever come to play! So much replay value! Its insane and I can't describe it enough. THIS IS A MUST BUY AND PLAY EXPERIENCE. Trust me on this!

Pros:
    Just... wow (useless pros. I know :v)
    Story and characters are so well done!

Cons:
    Combat can get a little linear
    No coop
  49. Nov 20, 2013
    Type of game that engrossed me from start to finish. The combination of writing and voice acting caused me to care greatly about the protagonist and my crew. Not quite as "save the worldy" as some RPGs, which was a nice change of pace. Choices felt like they built from the first game and mattered. The combat was also much more fluid and felt greatly improved from the first.

Rating

Rating this one slightly lower than the original even with the improvements. The story seemed to shift slightly, and there wasn't as much influence of the background lore. The RPG elements may have been clunky in the original, but they were mostly streamlined/stripped from the second. Did not feel like the character progressed much in strength outside of weapons.
  50. Dec 20, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is definitely the best game in the series. Its story is overwhelming, the game-play fluid, and just the entire setup and everything, it's beautiful. The character development is extraordinary and seeing some old faces from Mass Effect 1 again was especially nice, though the new faces among the crew are also pretty fantastic. Each of them has their own story, the level ofMass Effect 2 is definitely the best game in the series. Its story is overwhelming, the game-play fluid, and just the entire setup and everything, it's beautiful. The character development is extraordinary and seeing some old faces from Mass Effect 1 again was especially nice, though the new faces among the crew are also pretty fantastic. Each of them has their own story, the level of interaction possible is great (except for 'I'm in the middle of some calibrations', ugh). The different classes have improved, just like many other things. The game offers plenty of side missions, which all add flavour to the already fantastic main storyline. Also: Garrus. Need I say more? Expand
  51. Jan 2, 2014
    Mass Effect 2 has its problems, because it was developed mainly for consoles, which brought many disadvantages with it (linear levels, bad controls, horrible menus, removal of RPG elements) and PC players were left behind a bit.
    It's still Mass Effect at the core though and the story and characters are so fantastic that it easily makes up for that. As in the first game, the story is great. I think the secret of the Mass Effect series is mainly in the writing, because the dialogues just feel more believable than in other games and they nailed it again in ME2. Of course it helps that graphics, music and gameplay (with the above mentioned exceptions) are all outstanding.
  52. Feb 24, 2014
    I've always loved Mass Effect 1 when it was first out on 360, i just loved, the storytelling,combat everything and i just thought Mass Effect 2 (before it cam out) was just the same as Mass Effect 1, like it cant be improved, (BETTER), but Mass Effect 2 came out and i played it and it blew me away it was better, but still like mass effect 1 and always will, but mass effect 2 just blew meI've always loved Mass Effect 1 when it was first out on 360, i just loved, the storytelling,combat everything and i just thought Mass Effect 2 (before it cam out) was just the same as Mass Effect 1, like it cant be improved, (BETTER), but Mass Effect 2 came out and i played it and it blew me away it was better, but still like mass effect 1 and always will, but mass effect 2 just blew me away it was mind blowing full of awesomeness, great game YOU HAVE TO BUY IT!!!!!! Expand
  53. Apr 1, 2014
    Loooooved the story,emotion is this game fuel.You feel responsable for every word,act,charachter and universe.Great job.My top 10 of all times is here.
  54. Dec 18, 2014
    "An Epic Sci-fi Space Adventure"
    -------------------------------------------
    Mass Effect 2 is simply the Pinnacle of role play games. It is the most satisfying game up to date, the game surpasses all the expectations. It builds it's own unique sci fi universe with a incredible story and a superb and unforgettable cast of characters Mass Effect 2 is simply THE BEST game of all time.
    "An Epic Sci-fi Space Adventure"
    -------------------------------------------

- Zaeed Lacks Character Development
    - Too Short

/SCORE: 4.3
    Kasumi Stolen Memory DLC
    --------------------------------------------------------- + Kasumi's Story + Bekenstein Looks Great - Kasumi Feels Uninteresting - Bit Overpriced /SCORE: 6.7 --------------------------------------------------------- Worthwhile Downloadable Packs --------------------------------------------------------- + Normandy Crash Site + Arc Projector + Alternate Appearance Pack 1 + Equalizer Pack + Mass Effect: Genesis + Alternate Appearance Pack 2 + Firepower Pack - Cerberus Weapon And Armor - Firewalker Pack - Aegis Pack --------------------------------------------------------- Overlord DLC --------------------------------------------------------- + Hammerhead Is Better Than Mako + Gorgeous Visuals + Great Wildlife + Deep Ending + Engaging Music - Not Much Dialogue /SCORE: 9.3 --------------------------------------------------------- Lair Of The Shadow Broker DLC --------------------------------------------------------- + Planet Hagalaz Is Stunning + Humorous Writing + One Impressive Car Chase + Top Notch Action + Choices Carry Over To ME3 - Pretty Short /SCORE: 9.8 --------------------------------------------------------- Arrival DLC --------------------------------------------------------- + Important Plot + Choices Has Consequences In ME3 + Engaging Combat + Lengthy But For A Low Price + Creates Tension + The Final Confrontation - Squad Members Aren't Allowed - Lacking Dialogue /SCORE: 9.8 ======GAMESCORE: 10.0 - "PINNACLE"======
  55. May 20, 2014
    Cons:
    EA published, less RPG feel compared to the first one.

Pros:
    Great characters, great story, nice decision system, fun gameplay, immersive atmosphere, great sci-fi universe, politically charged & nice classes to choose from.
  56. Jul 4, 2014
    ITS MORE THAN A GAME........this is my first MASS EFFECT game,i have'nt played the previous part..Usually i love playing 3rd person shooter games but not found of playing science-fiction games... But i really loved this game..good graphics as its a 2010 game,also gameplay,storyline are all excellent...the characters are also great including commander shepard and miranda is damm hot andITS MORE THAN A GAME........this is my first MASS EFFECT game,i have'nt played the previous part..Usually i love playing 3rd person shooter games but not found of playing science-fiction games... But i really loved this game..good graphics as its a 2010 game,also gameplay,storyline are all excellent...the characters are also great including commander shepard and miranda is damm hot and sexyy ;)... now i playing mass effect 2 and will play mass effect 3 for sure...i became a big fan of MASS EFFECT :) Expand
  57. Sep 29, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a game based on races and universal proportions. It is a Third-Person Shooter with RPG elements and levelling system, seem similar to Bethaseda's Fallout 3 and Gears of War. It is developed by Bioware and Produced by EA.

To start off with the advantages to this game brings is it's newly improved user-friendly GUI than the one previously used in Mass Effect 1 letting players decide their custom characters and their 'powerups' that they may use. but reductions in custom armour might disappoint fans. Bioware has introduced many optimizations, making performance better. Visuals are on a high standard, giving low-poly models a high-resol look. Gameplay is frantic and fast yet feels less of a challenge than that of Mass Effect 1, it fails to become more strategic and more Gears of War-esque fighting. Landscapes are lush and surreal giving the player or user that xenophobic feel. Artificial intelligence is realistic if a little untactical, if any player hides it does not move if it has superior damage it simply stays put on any difficulty.

Mass Effect introduces innovative quasi-Fallout dialogue choices, giving the user to become more of a "Paragon" or "Renegade" soldier, deciding the overall afflictions decided in the running franchise. Characters have interesting backstories and plots but yet feel somewhat impersonal to the player, disrupting their curiosity to know more about the fictional characters, leaving the interaction a little dry during cutscenes, leaving players to read about them using 'Codex'.

Mass Effect 2's minigames, while novelty in their own right, give the player larger abilities by extracting minerals for different planets, somewhat supporting the lack of customization mentioned before, the armour cannot not be changed but can be coloured to suit the players taste. Overall, I'd would rate this game a 7, it is not as good as it's predecessor ME1 but definitely improves and elminates niggles that would otherwise, frankly, irritate the player. It's lasting appeal is little though, giving the player little reason to play it again on a harder level. Difficulty is sustained well but not enough for extraordinarily hardened players such as myself.
  58. Mar 7, 2012
    Not as great as the first game in my opinion. The fact that the whole game kinda moved in a different direction put me off. Still a decent game that I would play again if I had the time.
  59. Mar 26, 2012
    First off, people should not rate Mass Effect as an Rpg, as this is not the case. Mass Effect 2 presents a solid narration, framed by a deep and compelling sci-fi universe, further enriched by an epic Vangelis-like soundtrack. Most important, the game is not as dull as it has been portrayed. The information you are given throughout the game about the lore and the various civilizations areFirst off, people should not rate Mass Effect as an Rpg, as this is not the case. Mass Effect 2 presents a solid narration, framed by a deep and compelling sci-fi universe, further enriched by an epic Vangelis-like soundtrack. Most important, the game is not as dull as it has been portrayed. The information you are given throughout the game about the lore and the various civilizations are just accurate and interesting; the dialogues, though not within Bioware standards, are well-presented, even though they do lack a more precise choice system, sometimes making the player look awkward.
    On the other hand, the plot is consistent and at times rises to the greatness of the true legend, even though there's a couple of side quests (companions related ones) are definitely below-par.
    Technically speaking, the graphics have been enhanced if compared to the first episode, while the game engine runs flawlessly without any noticeable frame-rate drops. The weapons you are equipped with play just fine and, along with the biotic powers, give the player some really exciting combat sequences (provided you play at least on hardcore more). The overall experience will not be forgotten, as this game will stay with you for quite a long time.
  60. Feb 24, 2012
    I'm sorry I just don't get it. I don't understand how anybody could like this game better than ME1. I guess the visual style was sleeker? People thought the controls and fighting mechanics were better? Here's what I've come to realize. Mass Effect was a great RPG, with some action/3PS (3rd person shooter?) elements mixed in. Mass Effect 2, was an action game at heart, with someI'm sorry I just don't get it. I don't understand how anybody could like this game better than ME1. I guess the visual style was sleeker? People thought the controls and fighting mechanics were better? Here's what I've come to realize. Mass Effect was a great RPG, with some action/3PS (3rd person shooter?) elements mixed in. Mass Effect 2, was an action game at heart, with some pretty shoddy RPG elements. Gone are the multiple tiers and classes of armor, with corresponding types and tiers of upgrades. Gone is any tactical setup of your squad for combat. Just spam all of the abilities you can at the enemy. Gone is a much more detailed and better implemented leveling point system. And gone is planetary exploring, which I think would have been cooler if they fleshed it out instead of getting rid of it entirely. People say the combat in ME2 was better. Not to me. I read all the codex. What they had implemented in 1 made sense with the lore. Didn't like overheating? Too bad, get a *better weapon* or *better upgrades*. Jesus it's called customizability. That's what an RPG is all about. There were some *really* cool things they implemented in 2, however. So here is the good part of the review. Just the plain fact that you could actually continue a character on from 1 was amazing to me. However, I thought ME2's characters were better than 1's anyway, so I'm glad you got to work with an almost entirely new cast. (Although they kept my favorite Quarian :D.) Planet scanning was also way better than that side quest to find minerals from ME1, and I appreciated that you could actually integrate resources you find into your ship and customizing your character. Although once again, I would appreciate more options. Finally, there were things I thought were better and worse about the story. I really liked the loyalty missions, but I think it would have been better to have a central questline instead of making the loyalty missions the central component of the game. The problem here was that the story lacked focus, as there was literally no plot up until the end when you finally did the suicide mission (which was awesome!!!) ME1, by comparison, had an extremely focused central questline, but lacked in detailing the side characters perhaps a little bit more. So that's pretty much it for this review. Overall, I think what really got to me was that they took what was supposed to be an RPG series and kinda did away with all that. I didn't appreciate that very much. But since I am all about story, I will say that Mass Effect continues to have a strong story and character design, just perhaps not at the same time. I am still looking forward to ME3. Expand
  61. Mar 16, 2011
    I enjoyed Mass Effect 2, I really did. But when I'd finished it, I felt...unsatisfied. Perhaps it was because the tactical element to the game - issuing orders to squad-mates - was really a bit of a fig-leaf, because I could get on perfectly well without them for most of the game. Perhaps it was because there wasn't much opportunity to interact with my crew. Perhaps it was because theI enjoyed Mass Effect 2, I really did. But when I'd finished it, I felt...unsatisfied. Perhaps it was because the tactical element to the game - issuing orders to squad-mates - was really a bit of a fig-leaf, because I could get on perfectly well without them for most of the game. Perhaps it was because there wasn't much opportunity to interact with my crew. Perhaps it was because the dialogue wheel is perhaps one of the most frustrating means of interacting in a conversation ever devised in an RPG, and what I thought I was saying was frequently not what I actually said. But mostly it's because the game runs on rails. There is no real opportunity to go off on a frolic of your own: BioWare has a story, and they're going to tell it, whether you like it or not. It feels like a smaller game than the original. On the positive side, the graphics are an improvement on the original - which wasn't bad --, the voice acting is good and the plot is engaging, when it's not being rammed down my throat. But there isn't actually very much to do and I did have the impression that I was just pressing buttons between cut-scenes for quite a lot of the game. Expand
  62. Nov 21, 2011
    This game is a triumph. I kid you not, I've played through eight different times, continuing saves from Mass Effect and once starting from scratch on ME2. The story and gameplay are amazing. It's incredibly rewarding to see that your choices matter. The soundtrack is as epic as any Sci-fi adventure. This game is perfect.
  63. Nov 22, 2011
    This game was definately good but I didn't see as much in it as many others. It looks great and the voice acting I think is top-notch. However, while at first it seems really good, the shooting becomes a bit monotonous later on (cover, shoot, cover, shoot. I know shooting is always like that but still....). In addition, you have to gain necessary upgrades by scanning which is just sheerThis game was definately good but I didn't see as much in it as many others. It looks great and the voice acting I think is top-notch. However, while at first it seems really good, the shooting becomes a bit monotonous later on (cover, shoot, cover, shoot. I know shooting is always like that but still....). In addition, you have to gain necessary upgrades by scanning which is just sheer boredom and the game seems like such a chore at times to do side-missions for no particular reason and if you don't do them then that character of your team dies. Nowhere near a bad game, it's very enjoyable in parts, just not as great as I was expecting. Expand
  64. Apr 13, 2011
    I have spend above a 100 hours in mass effect 2, so you might as well ask yourself why I dont give this game a perfect 10. Its quite simply really, there are some small flaws. I will try to explain them, but know the game is really an extremely well designed experience. With that said; I find there are two flaws in this game. First, the number of comrades you pick up in the game is toI have spend above a 100 hours in mass effect 2, so you might as well ask yourself why I dont give this game a perfect 10. Its quite simply really, there are some small flaws. I will try to explain them, but know the game is really an extremely well designed experience. With that said; I find there are two flaws in this game. First, the number of comrades you pick up in the game is to large. Now, you might ask why this could possibly be a problem. This is quite simple, all of them have a "loyalty quest" - and with so many comrades all the sidequests feel a disconnected to the main plot. Add to this that with so many comrades, you never get a special feeling for any of the comrades - like you did in the first mass effect where you had a more limited number of them. Its a shame really.

The second flaw, is the whole weapon system. This problem is more compounded by several smaller issues. First off is the "new and improved" ammo system, which blows to be honest. The first game had a heatcooldown system, which was actually fine. Now you have what they call "heat clips" that are universal, yet you cant shift them between the your weapons - this is just plain odd. besides the weapon selection is dumbed down to much. You have a severely limited amount of weapontypes to choose from, and the way you upgrade and find them feel.... well to be honest, mildly retarded. But even though the games have these flaws, I will still rate it a 9 for the solid script, plot and surperb gameplay.
  65. Oct 14, 2011
    I agree with other people here: It's a console port shooter. The RPG elements and freedom of the first game are eliminated. It proceeds narrowly on rails, the choices are highly constrained and built around fixed set-pieces. It's still pretty, movie-like and interesting, but just not as good as the first one. BioWare, I am disappoint. I will not be buying ME3, because it will only beI agree with other people here: It's a console port shooter. The RPG elements and freedom of the first game are eliminated. It proceeds narrowly on rails, the choices are highly constrained and built around fixed set-pieces. It's still pretty, movie-like and interesting, but just not as good as the first one. BioWare, I am disappoint. I will not be buying ME3, because it will only be dumbed down and consolized further. Collapse
  66. Apr 6, 2012
    After completing ME1 and enjoying it quite a bit, the expectations were very high for the sequel. First game laid some great foundations on which the sequel could build on while at the same time the few annoyances from the first game could be improved on or removed, thus making this game a true masterpiece. After watching every publication give this game 9+/10, and in general higher marksAfter completing ME1 and enjoying it quite a bit, the expectations were very high for the sequel. First game laid some great foundations on which the sequel could build on while at the same time the few annoyances from the first game could be improved on or removed, thus making this game a true masterpiece. After watching every publication give this game 9+/10, and in general higher marks then the first game, excitement was high. Well, it took me over a year since purchasing the game to complete it, and not because it was particularly difficult, but rather that I would have to take some serious time away from the game every time I was dissapointed, and there were quite a few of those moments throughout.
    First, the good.
    Cut sequences are longer and better than in the first game. Music, the atmosphere during these scenes are on par with any major movie production and it can be quite breathtaking.
    No more vehicle levels. The biggest annoyance with the first game was the grind that one had to endure while driving the vehicle around for 10-15 min at a time (but it felt like hours).
    There is certain epic feel to the game, that you are a part of a grand story. Writing/action/feel of the main story line is very good.

However, negatives are many.
    It seems that Bioware took the first game and decided to dumb it down in every aspect. Character build went from 10-18 unique stats to 4-8, depending on the class. Weapons have no stats. Weapons can't be moded (other than generic "all rifles deal +10% damage"). Game truly does feel like a less polished Gears of War with few dialogue options and illusion of choice.
    Main game itself is very short. Maybe 3 hours total? The rest is spent assembling the team (and waiting for the timed event to allow you to finish it) and doing very short and straight forward side quests... and mining. Mining replace Maco levels from the first game and its fun for about 12 seconds. You need to mine to upgrade weapons/armors/gear/ship, thus you need to keep doing this. And it ain't fun at all.
    Finally, the illusion of choice. Your actions from the first game don't matter. Your romanced Liara or Ashley, yeah you get 4 seconds of different interaction and that is about it - you still get to do everything exactly the same. Wrex lived in the first game? Little different dialogue, but still the same game with 100% of the options available. Also, while ME1 may have been somewhat revolutionary in a concept of an adult romance story, in ME2 you are on a ship with bunch of single humans and aliens that at the same point in time will let you make a move on them and every love story is exactly the same arc with cut scenes that are little different (with the exception of the Asaris).
    Finally, the final level, while intense and fast moving, ends with a boss fight that gets introduced to the story in the last 3 minutes of the game. It seems that they felt the game needed something massive at the end and so they created this lame and relatively easy fight against something big.
    Overall, not a bad game. It just is not an RPG, let alone a great RPG. Its a dumbed down ME1 with the same epic feel and few brilliant moments, but less of everything that made ME1 so good.
  67. Mar 12, 2011
    Disappointed in the direction the devs took with this one. The first game was so much better in respect to the the RPG roots it branched from. This game seems more like a comic book than a story in a novel, which is what the first felt like. While it is a fun game, it's really to dumbed down. Many things were made far too simple and the game lost all complexity and about the only thingDisappointed in the direction the devs took with this one. The first game was so much better in respect to the the RPG roots it branched from. This game seems more like a comic book than a story in a novel, which is what the first felt like. While it is a fun game, it's really to dumbed down. Many things were made far too simple and the game lost all complexity and about the only thing you can customize is weapon loadouts and your armor. Can't even customize the weapons themselves anymore. Mirnada is walking around in a catsuit with high heels in space! Come on! Ammo powers passed off as skills by class? What a joke. If I didn't actually care what happened in the story and the romances, I would give this game a far worse review than I have. Expand
  68. Nov 20, 2012
    This is probably my favorite game of all time (fighting for the top spot with Deus Ex). The world's are fascinating, wandering around them is like exploring a real life community. ME1 was also a phenomenal game (also in my top three or four games of all time), but this one improves upon it's graphics and continues the same amazing quality of writing and character development. It's really aThis is probably my favorite game of all time (fighting for the top spot with Deus Ex). The world's are fascinating, wandering around them is like exploring a real life community. ME1 was also a phenomenal game (also in my top three or four games of all time), but this one improves upon it's graphics and continues the same amazing quality of writing and character development. It's really a must play. The only problem is I really want to play a game I enjoyed as much as this one again, but just can't find one (ME3 just didn't cut it). Expand
  69. May 31, 2012
    The acting is almost movie worthy. It's incredible. The story is great, so is the amount of content. The graphics are gorgeous, the maps and design is great. There is only one problem for me - the gameplay, which isn't captivating enough to make me particularly enjoy it. Basically, the gameplay is always the same from start to end and changes little in the entire experience. You duckThe acting is almost movie worthy. It's incredible. The story is great, so is the amount of content. The graphics are gorgeous, the maps and design is great. There is only one problem for me - the gameplay, which isn't captivating enough to make me particularly enjoy it. Basically, the gameplay is always the same from start to end and changes little in the entire experience. You duck behind objects and shoot enemies. I find this game to be overhyped for this reason, along with the fact that ME1 did everything this did. The game deserves a solid 8, overall. Expand
  70. Jun 19, 2012
    This game is like high budget action movie. Exciting and visually orgasmic, but only the first time around. After that, you see past the special effects, notice it's flaws and decide it wasn't that great after all. The worst part is that ME2 looks exactly the same on every playthrough. Freedom of choice or non-linearity? Forget it! The only choices you can make are whether you want Shep toThis game is like high budget action movie. Exciting and visually orgasmic, but only the first time around. After that, you see past the special effects, notice it's flaws and decide it wasn't that great after all. The worst part is that ME2 looks exactly the same on every playthrough. Freedom of choice or non-linearity? Forget it! The only choices you can make are whether you want Shep to be a jerkass or a slightly nicer jerkass when talking to people. Even paragon Shepard isn't really someone you'd want to meet. The only thing I really liked about ME2 were the squad members - while they aren't exactly nice people, they're all well written and generally likeable. Overall, ME2 is a dumbed down ME1 (which was hardly a complex cRPG) stripped of it's non linearity and fitted with better graphics and a more Gears of War style combat system. Good for one go, but no more. Expand
  71. Jun 3, 2013
    As a person who's played Mass Effect 2 both on the PS3 and PC, I have all rights to say that with me being a dedicated fan to the franchise, this never stood up to be the proper sequel to Mass Effect 1 everyone wanted to be. Sure it's good compared to Mass Effect 3, but let's forget that disaster for a moment and get down to what Mass Effect 2 had, and what it shouldn't have had.

First of all, the PC Port is pretty bad. I mean I am glad that aiming with the mouse works as it should, but binding Sprint/Interact/Cover all to the same button? What happened to the special treatment Mass Effect 1 got for PC? None of that is there, and the game really suffers greatly from having sprint and cover on the same button as you find yourself locking into cover while trying to retreat from the enemies, leaving you completely exposed to their gunfire while you go through the animations of getting out of cover again. Mass Effect 1 had you just pressing against cover without the need of button presses, and allowed you to crouch in cover too. What happened to all of that?

Now the removal of overheat and grenades are for balance, I can understand that and honestly I wasn't bothered by it as much as I could've been, however, the in-world explanation is just so damn stupid I can't imagine how BioWare managed to laugh up the fact that it would be a good idea to choose that over the overheat system.

A lot of missions are repetitive, which is something all three entries suffer greatly from. While Mass Effect 2 at least varies its' environments, half of the loyalty missions and sidequests consist of nothing but mindless shooting with 2 minute long cutscenes at the start and end trying to justify why it made sense to enter a gunfight, and sadly here Mass Effect 2 doesn't fare any better than any other third person shooter. If you were dumb enough to play as Soldier, you're gonna get the bore of your life as this game is all about biotics and tech, so there are some classes which are absolutely boring to play as compared to others. My personal favorite was Vanguard, which I think was amazing to play as and I had a good time playing through the game.

Dialogue wise, it was outstanding, the story is well told and executed surprisingly well looking at the state of gaming back then. The interrupts were a great addition and you can't criticize Mass Effect 2 for its lack of dialogue. This game executes its characters really well and does an excellent job immersing you in the story and making your personal morale affect what choices you make in the game. Top notch!

Last but not least, the save game system, which was meh at best. You'd get some letters from people or extra dialogue, however you don't miss a lot not having a Mass Effect 1 save game ready.

Overall though, this game is really flawed in comparison to Mass Effect 1. A 4 is the brutally honest rating I'd give this game, because as far as it fares against its predecessor, it's cons largely obscure its pros, merely for the fact that Mass Effect 1 offered almost all of that too.
  72. May 9, 2013
    One word to describe this game would be: betrayal.
    In order to round up a greater audience for the game, they made the game as similar to any other game out there, mainly Halo.
    RPG elements-removed, no-ammo-removed, planet exploration removed. Mass Effect 1 wasn't a pure open world game, but hey, compared to Mass Effect 2 you could call it just as open as GTAs. I mean Mass Effect 2 is
    One word to describe this game would be: betrayal.
    RPG elements-removed, no-ammo-removed, planet exploration removed.
    Mass Effect 1 wasn't a pure open world game, but hey, compared to Mass Effect 2 you could call it just as open as GTAs. I mean Mass Effect 2 is so linear, so that a monkey with a controller could complete this game on easy (you'd have to teach him to shoot and collect ammo if you'd want him to beat harder difficulties).
    Don't get me wrong, the story is great and all, but the gameplay is awful at this point. The second time I played it I used mods to make it feel more like the first game.
    Another annoyingly stupid thing is the DLCs. There are too many of them. Ok, maybe that's not the biggest problem point. They are to expensive for what they are. You wont get more than 2 hours of gameplay with each of them, but they sure cost like if they were at least 10 hours of gameplay. And the fact that the characters got released one by one after release, you had to replay the game over and over again, if you wanted to have the full experience with each of them. It's just frustrating, if you want to know every little bit of the story, which is the best part of the game.
    Essentially, this game was a big disappointment for me, and didn't feel like a Mass Effect game, at least gameplay wise. The removal of all the best stuff from Mass Effect 1, was the worst part for me, that really hurt the franchise in my eyes.
  73. Jan 25, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 definitely has positive sides, but it's terribly overrated. The plot is mediocre at best, half of the game you will be just looking for your future team members and only some of them (like Samara, Garrus or Tali) are interesting, the rest are boring or even annoying. The game is also pretty short for an RPG- about 25 hours if you complete every sidequest and explore half ofMass Effect 2 definitely has positive sides, but it's terribly overrated. The plot is mediocre at best, half of the game you will be just looking for your future team members and only some of them (like Samara, Garrus or Tali) are interesting, the rest are boring or even annoying. The game is also pretty short for an RPG- about 25 hours if you complete every sidequest and explore half of the galaxy. Exploring planets is for resources is extremely annoying and ruins all the fun. Also there is almost no freedom of choice and it is purely cosmetic. The replay value is also pretty low: you will be doing the same thing again and again and changing classes will only make the game harder. So why not just stick to the soldier class, which is virtually unbeatable? The shooting also felt boring and on some levels, i thought i was playing some mediocre third-person shooter with hordes of enemies to beat, rather than an action RPG. By the way, there are almost no RPG elements left and as for what's left, it doesn't have any significant impact on gameplay. Graphically, the game is also a major disappointment. After so many critics praised the game's graphics, I thought the game would look near photorealisitc. What a letdown! Models look generally good, but textures are bland and the game lacks details. As for positive sides, the voice acting is good, storyline has it's good moments, music is excellent, the world, where the game takes place, is also very interesting. In all, the game is worth playing once, but without the replay value, it quickly becomes boring and dull. Expand
  74. Jul 6, 2012
    The continuation of amazing Mass Effect 1. The scenario and variety of options are still great. The graphics have been hugely improved. All the characters and the world is really beautiful. Besides, you can still choose how to end the game, whether die or to end like a hero and save the world. You can choose whether to be cruel boss or a great leader, whether to be friendly of flirty...The continuation of amazing Mass Effect 1. The scenario and variety of options are still great. The graphics have been hugely improved. All the characters and the world is really beautiful. Besides, you can still choose how to end the game, whether die or to end like a hero and save the world. You can choose whether to be cruel boss or a great leader, whether to be friendly of flirty... This is the best RPG I have ever played. 100% recommend to buy it !!! Expand
  75. Mar 21, 2011
    ME2 was a huge improvement over its predecessor. Not only did they remove many of the irritating tidbits that bogged players down in the level-up and equipment screens for hours, but they also improved gameplay drastically. The result is a well-made, fun game that easily makes the top of my list of games in 2010.
  76. Aug 14, 2010
    Playing this game felt like playing a mediocre movie. Character development was poor, the characters were generally bland, plot development was practically spoon-fed to you (e.g., characters made major discoveries as if through sheer epiphany whereas ME1 would have taken the time to gather and piece together the clues). The game was severely watered-down; I don't need to get into the majorPlaying this game felt like playing a mediocre movie. Character development was poor, the characters were generally bland, plot development was practically spoon-fed to you (e.g., characters made major discoveries as if through sheer epiphany whereas ME1 would have taken the time to gather and piece together the clues). The game was severely watered-down; I don't need to get into the major complaints that you've likely already heard about the new weapon/armor/ammo system - they're pretty common. Recruiting characters was a tad ridiculous because, unlike ME1 where the people you recruited were random encounters during your mission, in ME2 the people you recruit are specifically targeted and all of their recruitment missions made them out to be essentially demigods of raw physical/biotic/mental superiority, only to have them suddenly turn into lame ducks when they were in your party (for the sake of game balance). Half the game's missions involved recruitment and loyalty missions for your squad; there was very little in the way of actual side missions or of a main quest line. You'll waste a ton of time scanning planets for minerals and launching probes to harvest them - a ridiculously tedious process, although not quite as tedious as exploring in ME1 was - and you'll be left wondering where the $%!# element zero is. Character reappearances in this game were awkward and their personalities (except for Garrus/Tali) made huge, seemingly random changes. Speaking of random, the dialog options seemed to award Paragon/Renegade points completely randomly. You'll finish a dialog to find you got both Paragon and Renegade points, wondering where on earth one or the other could possibly have come from. If you decide to be Paragon (good guy), many of the "Paragon" options involve making intimidating threats, extortion, use of force, or even for having somebody killed. That does not sound very "Paragon" to me. Very seldom are the Paragon choices truly "Paragon" in nature. This game was definitely made to be played as a Renegade, which should probably be somewhat expected, considering the entire plot line involves you being forced to work with terrorists and thug gangs.

All in all, the game was passable, but it simply lost the magic that Mass Effect 1 had, which is a shame because they could have so easily have stuck to the original formula, focused more on making a solid plot with great character development, interesting characters, and a strong quest line, and had an amazing game. But hey, at least EA decided to ship this game with only a simple CD key check, and no other restrictive DRM. That's a huge plus over the first. Still, I wouldn't pay more than 20 bucks for this game. It was simply a bland experience overall. And another note, if you played ME1 on the 360, you may want to Google for a "character import tool" for ME2 so that you can make sure you're truly starting where you left off instead of going with the default story line. It makes a huge, huge, huge difference.
  77. Jan 19, 2011
    Downgraded mainstream sequel

Downgraded mainstream sequel

Most missions follow an identical procedure. RPG depht suffers from poorer skilling options and a more linear levelstructure than the first title. architectual patterns often repeat. The story adds additional depht to the universe, but conservative implementations such as ammunition or fuel subvert the logic of the immersive gameworld. Visuals are stunning! The characters are well drawn and bring their own background story.
  78. Jun 2, 2011
    Let me start of by saying I don't hate the game, I enjoyed it, for about 4 hours, then I didn't.

I'd heard a lot of good about this game, so I figured, I'll give it a shot, so I did, and I wasn't disappointed, it had shooting, RPG elements, and some fun psychic moves that let me throw people about, can't complain with that. And I played it, went into one room, hid behind a box and

And I played it, went into one room, hid behind a box and dispatched the enemies in numerous ways, changing cover now and then. Then the next room, I hid behind a crate and dispatched enemies in numerous ways, changing cover now and then. And again, and again. It never changed, it is at heart, a cover based shooter with some RPG elements, even so, the RPG elements are pretty black and white, "Will I shoot this hopeless orphan with my firey kitten gun? Or will I donate all my limbs to the children in need program? Or perhaps I shall remain in a state of permanent apathy and bypass all these mundane problems.".

That's not good choice making, it's just saying to you, will you be a bad guy, good guy, or neutral? And it even blatantly tells you which is which, "Say this to appear as a rogue who does his own thing, or say this to appear as Jesus himself".

I played it for several hours, about 10 I believe, before I realised the gameplay wasn't going anywhere and I was essentially playing Gears of War or Rainbow Six under pretence of an RPG in a 3rd person angle, which is my least favourite kind of shooter regardless, the only game I've played that has done it well is Resident Evil 4, even then I couldn't move whilst I shot.

The story however did, for the 10 hours I played it, seem good, it may have got better, which wouldn't surprise me, it was honestly memorable and I can see why people enjoy it, but it tried to present itself as more than it was, like a dog that claims it can talk and ride a unicycle, whereas it can only ride a tricycle and has no speech mastery. Impressive for sure, but it's not what I was expecting, and there are other games that do it better.

My last gripe with the game is Jack, I rescued her from prison where she completely breezed through hundreds of robots and guards alike with not a scratch on her, she was truly unstoppable and I couldn't wait to get her on my team, then when she WAS on my team, an aggressive looking shrub would be enough to subdue this once feared God of a woman. My point here is, don't sell me Wonder Woman and then give me a generic horror film girl who lasts about 3 minutes before deciding to "See what that masked figure wants to talk about".
  79. Mar 28, 2012
    I am a big fan of Mass Effect who loved the first game, and this one is even better. Hopping around the galaxy, walking through the Citadel, and talking to your squad on the Normandy is as cozy as it always were: you snuggle up with blankets, listen to the same lovely music as in Mass Effect 1, and just let yourself be enveloped by the game and by the world. There is no more driving theI am a big fan of Mass Effect who loved the first game, and this one is even better. Hopping around the galaxy, walking through the Citadel, and talking to your squad on the Normandy is as cozy as it always were: you snuggle up with blankets, listen to the same lovely music as in Mass Effect 1, and just let yourself be enveloped by the game and by the world. There is no more driving the infamous Mako, a major drag in Mass Effect 1.

Combat is as much fun as in Mass Effect 1 â
  80. Aug 14, 2011
    The game is very good and better than i expected. The pros: The game is very long especially compared to most games today although the actual main story alone is not very long, the graphics are excellent, good game play that combines 3rd person shooting with class powers that add a tactical element as well as simply making it more fun, there are some great RPG elements, the main being howThe game is very good and better than i expected. The pros: The game is very long especially compared to most games today although the actual main story alone is not very long, the graphics are excellent, good game play that combines 3rd person shooting with class powers that add a tactical element as well as simply making it more fun, there are some great RPG elements, the main being how you want to act and react as well as allow one to customize ones character very well, excellent story with believable, varied characters and world that keeps ones interest, excellent sound, music and especially voice acting.Neutral points that can be improved upon: the hacking and bypassing mini-games are fine but they are too simple and become tedious relatively fast, scanning planets for resources is okay at first but becomes boring quite quickly Cons: Short main story, feels repetitive at times, although the game allows one to customize ones character very well there are not many different weapons or armour available, the game does a good job of creating an illusion that it is a big game but in actual fact it is not. There are only four landable locations, the rest of the locations one only goes there once for a mission. Overall a excellent game that i enjoyed very much although there are a few things that can make it even better.Mass effect 3 just needs to build on the rpg elements and have a bit more variety as well as be a bigger game to surpass it's predecessor, lets hope it does .9/10 Expand
  81. Jan 31, 2012
    Developer's decisions are weird sometimes. Replacing simple weapons stats with a description box... yyyy... haven't they read any design book? How does a pile of text make up for some easy and graphically-presented stats?! Than they replaced a good, interesting story-line with a simple gather-a-team-and-finish-them-all thing. In result the only two thing that I've remembered from thisDeveloper's decisions are weird sometimes. Replacing simple weapons stats with a description box... yyyy... haven't they read any design book? How does a pile of text make up for some easy and graphically-presented stats?! Than they replaced a good, interesting story-line with a simple gather-a-team-and-finish-them-all thing. In result the only two thing that I've remembered from this episode is that I've died at the beginning (nice one Bioware!) and then picking up some members of my team only to make some wrong decisions at the end and almost killed them then... xD The game is very good and I had a lot of fun but I don't agree with some decisions made there.

Overall:
    ------------
    Graphics 10/10

Audio 9.5/10 (hate the death sound)

Gameplay 9/10 (getting companions -> finishing the game)
  82. Jan 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. They took away the original concept of Mass Effect and made it a FPS...disappointed but still like the story. I dread the mind numbing planet scanning, would definitely not miss this in the next game. Expand
  83. May 29, 2012
    The least fun in the trilogy. ME2 took almost everything that I loved in ME1 away, but at least they made the controls tighter and much better. It's definitely worth playing, and I've but ~50 hours into it total in two playthroughs, but compared to the first game it just doesn't quite cut it. Even ME3 is better.
  84. Nov 9, 2011
    User Interface 7/10
    Sounds 7/10
    Music 7/10
  85. Nov 13, 2011
    I was waiting for a game to finish updating so to kill time I started up mass effect 2. I spent my ENTIRE weekend playing mass effect and it really shows how in depth the gameplay is and why it has such a good metacritic rating. i was so happy when i finished the suicide mission casualty free on sunday at 5 o'clock
  86. Jan 16, 2012
    Mass Effect 1 was great, it had its problems but they never got in the way of your enjoyment of the game.
    Mass Effect 2 failed as a sequel for many reasons. Before I get to the bad stuff, i will say the things I like.
    The characters, although not brilliant, are well done and entertaining. The graphics are nice and environments are well detailed. The gameplay is great for what it is.

The characters, although not brilliant, are well done and entertaining.
    The graphics are nice and environments are well detailed.
    The gameplay is great for what it is.
    Levels are more diverse than it's predecessor

Now the bad:

Mining and exploration is tedious and boring, a well designed level should have all the resources you need.
    The story is horrible, and a slap in the face considering this is from Bioware and a sequel to Mass Effect.
    The DLC stories are what the game should have been about.
    The game is less RPG, and more Gears of War clone.

Overall, fans of the original may be disappointed, but for what it is, not a bad game.
  87. Mar 8, 2012
    To start off I'm going to say that I enjoyed the game and I'm giving it a 7/10. This game is best thought of as a separate game from the original Mass Effect. The gameplay is very different, many of the RPG elements that Mass Effect DID have, they have removed in this game; the inventory system from the first game has been removed and replaced with a tiny inventory with a very smallTo start off I'm going to say that I enjoyed the game and I'm giving it a 7/10. This game is best thought of as a separate game from the original Mass Effect. The gameplay is very different, many of the RPG elements that Mass Effect DID have, they have removed in this game; the inventory system from the first game has been removed and replaced with a tiny inventory with a very small selection. Weapon pickups are a very rare and scripted event. The story on its own is good and interesting, the characters are darker and the whole theme of the game seems to have been influenced at least a bit by film noir. The music has perhaps too much orchestra and "epic" sounding music rather than the iconic synthesized space music that was in the original game but it is still present to a reasonable degree. One of my main complaints about Mass Effect 2 is that, rather than keeping the good things and improving upon/ fixing the flaws which were present in the original game, many of the flaws are still present and even some of the good things about the first game are not present in the second. One of these good things which has been removed is something I am very sad about; the planet/ galaxy exploration. In the original game you could drive around in a recon vehicle on the surfaces of many planets even if it wasn't required by the plot. This gave the game a very 'big' feel. The galaxy seemed vast, yours to explore and discover. Now, admittedly, the physics for this vehicle were quite silly and unpredictable and didn't quite work with the hilly terrain, but the music on these planets, the beautiful background art and the cool effects like a blizzard or meteor shower made it an amazing experience. Rather than fixing the handling of this vehicle for the second game, Bioware decided to remove planet exploration completely. They replaced it with the ability to 'scan' planets for resources with the option of occasionally landing for a scripted mission in a small area or corridor shootout. The game suffers for this. The universe seems much MUCH smaller. Scanning planets is very tedious and dull.

The game also seems a bit rushed or incomplete. The characters don't quite flesh out and some aren't developed very well at all. One example is the character "Garrus" and alien companion who returns from the first game. In Mass effect 1 & 2 you can move around your ship conversing with the various characters who are traveling with you and most of them have quite a lot to say. Garrus, however, keeps telling me to 'wait a bit' because he's in the middle of calibrating something. Garrus was an interesting and relatable character in Mass Effect 1 and a fan favorite and to see him left underdeveloped like this is really quite disappointing.

Criticism aside, many of the side quests in this game were interesting and the locations were a lot of fun to explore. The story was good sometimes and bad others. Overall I enjoyed the game though it was very different from the first.
  88. Mar 22, 2012
    Took away 2 points because it's hard to transition from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. A lot of the customization has been stripped away, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (no more having to sell/gel items every 5 minutes because of the item limit) but some players enjoy the incremental upgrades in games. The other thing is the sudden change in controls. What used to be run is nowTook away 2 points because it's hard to transition from Mass Effect 1 to Mass Effect 2. A lot of the customization has been stripped away, which isn't necessarily a bad thing (no more having to sell/gel items every 5 minutes because of the item limit) but some players enjoy the incremental upgrades in games. The other thing is the sudden change in controls. What used to be run is now pause. What used to be pause is now run. What used to be interact is now order squad mate, and the new run key is also the new interact key. So if you're coming straight from ME1 be prepared to get frustrated while you get used to the new controls. Besides those 2 things the game is great and a huge improvement over (the already great) mass effect 1. And the way it carries over decisions made in the previous game adds a whole new layer of immersion and replayability. Expand
  89. Nov 4, 2012
    If you love the sci-fi genre you will be satisfied. Immersive, good dialogues, good character developement; good cinematics. The whole experience has been truly enthralling. Worth every dime.
  90. Feb 17, 2011
    This is a cross between third person shooter Gears of War and RPG Dragon Age. While being good at both genres, the game never strives to be great at either. The graphics, voice acting, and cinematic scenes are what really shines the most. However, the 94 metascore rating seems very generous. The level design is linear, character development is flat, the RPG experience is weak, and theThis is a cross between third person shooter Gears of War and RPG Dragon Age. While being good at both genres, the game never strives to be great at either. The graphics, voice acting, and cinematic scenes are what really shines the most. However, the 94 metascore rating seems very generous. The level design is linear, character development is flat, the RPG experience is weak, and the story provides paltry excitement at best--an over-hyped snoozer. Expand
  91. Jan 13, 2011
    Although completely abandoning the RPG genre, this game is a epic experience which I enjoyed until the very last moment.

Reaper menace is the most fearsome I have seen on many years, feeling a true sense of urgency many times.

I feel the new allies are a bit depressing. Most of them are too though and a little of naivety would have been welcomed.
  92. Jan 25, 2011
    Starts out with an unnecessary, and hypocritical bang, and doesn't get much better. The characters are stiff in my eyes, though have well developed background stories. The fighting is fun at first, but the game is far too easy and fighting becomes very expected (hint: if you see barriers, you're in for a boring fight). Hacking is interesting, then repetitive and dull. The story is notStarts out with an unnecessary, and hypocritical bang, and doesn't get much better. The characters are stiff in my eyes, though have well developed background stories. The fighting is fun at first, but the game is far too easy and fighting becomes very expected (hint: if you see barriers, you're in for a boring fight). Hacking is interesting, then repetitive and dull. The story is not enough to fill up the lengthy gameplay. Annoying bugs. Expand
  93. Jan 17, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a very playable, often exciting, beautifully crafted, very flawed game. If it had been named something else, say "Space Times With Ttitielady And Toadman Clone", I'm sure I'd even say I was impressed. But it's not named that; it's named "Mass Effect" and it does not live up to its ambitions in that regard.

+The game's graphics are pretty. +You don't have to manage your

+The game's graphics are pretty.
    +You don't have to manage your inventory anymore.
    +Play (in combat) as some classes is as engaging as the original; play as others has vastly improved; in no case has it gotten worse. This is a big plus.
    +BioWare's usual well-acted scripts with attention to plot holes and detail.

-The game has a mere shadow of a plot. Most of the game is incredibly meta about its lack of a plot in a way that will rip you out of the immersion in no time. It is this author's opinion that the writers of this trilogy know what they want to do and how, but only really have the material for games 1 and 3. 2 was a marketing necessity.
    -Some of the game's characters are written like they crawled out of a bad JRPG. Let's not go back to those days.
    -The characters that aren't bad are engaged in some pretty heinously fanservice stuff.
    -If you liked all the inventory management and number crunching from ME1, you'll miss that (I didn't especially).
    -There is a "final boss". And he will make you laugh.
    -The number of choices the player can make that affect the game with ME2 has greatly increased, but they are almost all superficial. Usually when you play a BioWare game, sooner or later you are afforded an option that really clicks with what you've been thinking. In ME2, for the purposes of the meagre plot, the only decision that you might have made that would really change things, you can only make one way. In pen and paper gaming this is called "railroading" and is looked on as very poor writing indeed.
  94. Nov 16, 2012
    In my opinion this is the best installment of the series. We are introduced to some of the best character in the series ■Grunt ■Jack ■Jacob Taylor ■Kasumi Goto
    ■Legion ■Miranda Lawson ■Mordin Solus ■Samara or Morinth ■Tali'Zorah vas Neema / Normandy
    ■Thane Krios ■Zaeed Massani And the old friends also returned. I loved
    ■Thane Krios ■Zaeed Massani
    And the old friends also returned. I loved the dark and grim atmosphere of the game. The collectors were very interesting villains. The pace of the game and the story were perfect. The graphics were improved. For the first time the player could explore the galaxy, which was a great addition. Weapon and armor customization was introduced. Player decisions really changed the outcome of the ending. I can only recommend the game. Don't forget to import your save files from ME1!
  95. Oct 6, 2011
    Mass Effect 2 is a well-written game whose experience may be hindered by the surprisingly-linear level design. However the game does allow you to make certain choices when it comes to speaking with people which largely affects the outcome of the story. Also, the gameplay might not have as many RPG elements as its predecessor, but it works as a solid shooter in an over-saturated market ofMass Effect 2 is a well-written game whose experience may be hindered by the surprisingly-linear level design. However the game does allow you to make certain choices when it comes to speaking with people which largely affects the outcome of the story. Also, the gameplay might not have as many RPG elements as its predecessor, but it works as a solid shooter in an over-saturated market of modern military shooters i.e. Call of Duty. Visuals are gorgeous too. Between the highly-detailed environments and use of lighting, you might feel like you're watching J.J. Abrams' very own space opera. Definitely check this one out if you haven't already. Expand
  96. Jan 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While it does vastly improve the combat and gameplay of its previous iteration, the story of the game feels so illogical, despite being good and quite interesting. Why do you have to go around the galaxy doing unnecessary sidequests for each character to gain their loyalty, and why would they all want to follow you into an almost certain death anyhow? And how come Shepard with just a small squad is capable of obliterating a god-damn reaper and defeat the whole collectors base on his own, when none else can in the whole damn galaxy with billions, and billions of inhabitants. How come he succeeded so easily? Expand
  97. Jun 29, 2012
    3 points for graphic and storyline. The game is a nice action adventure, but not a RPG. Wolfenstein from 2008 is more a RPG than Mass Effect. With 3 team members your avatar wipe out all life in the galaxy in 2 long weekends, than you have get the maximum player level and when you have all the upgrades, perks, abilitys and items the games ends abruptly, you can drop your lovely leveled3 points for graphic and storyline. The game is a nice action adventure, but not a RPG. Wolfenstein from 2008 is more a RPG than Mass Effect. With 3 team members your avatar wipe out all life in the galaxy in 2 long weekends, than you have get the maximum player level and when you have all the upgrades, perks, abilitys and items the games ends abruptly, you can drop your lovely leveled avatar in the trash and start a new game. For me the game is only a stand alone graphic patch for Star Wars KOTOR. Extreme potential wasted! Expand
  98. Mar 7, 2011
    If you are a fun of mass effect universe then it is an absolute buy.Less rpg then the first one but the story is a masterpiece!It also has a lot of dlc out that gives a great value.
  99. Aug 23, 2011
    A true Sci-Fi epic and the best game I have played. With top notch visuals, music, writng, voice acting, and gameplay, a diverse cast of characters, a dark and mysterious plot, this is the current high bar. Plus, it remembers everything you did in the previous game.
  100. Mar 29, 2011
    I enjoyed this game a lot, but agree with other critics that they took away a very fun element, which was the RPG element, probably a bit less micromanagement was the way to go, not completely removing it.

I also found it a bit short, kinda disappointed that i have to pay to get any more extra content that should have been included as side quests for the money i payed...
  101. Oct 14, 2011

1. Mass Effect 2 resumes with pride the path opened by the first game. This sequel is a lesson of how things should be made.
  2. Mass Effect 2 delivers a story that's deeper than what many novelists are capable of, and its action is better than what most Hollywood directors are creating nowadays. It's an addictive, engrossing experience that many gamers will replay over and over while they hold their breath waiting for the third game.
  3. A brilliant mix of shooter and role-playing, filled with great characters, excellent design, lots of action and clever dialogue. It's a shame though that Bioware did not improve the inventory and skill system of the first game, but actually reduced it even more. I really wished there were more customization options, more ways to develop and gear up my characters. But all these are merely small points of criticism, since there is so much to feel and experience in this game. Mass Effect 2 is a thrilling, emotional ride and ultimately every bit as good as its predecessor.