Mass Effect 2 PC

8.7

1. Jul 10, 2016
    a master piece if wasn't for all the buyable dlcs that increases a great part of the game , thanks to EA and his abillity to launch games missing parts to sell after .
  2. Jul 10, 2016
    Increíble juegazo y obra maestra, mucho mas divertido que el primero, la jugabilidad super mejorada, los actores de doblaje increíbles, ambientación, decisiones geniales. Un juego super rejugable para probar diferentes caminos y clases. Super recomendado 10/10
  3. Jul 10, 2016
    Gioco fantastico. Azione, RPG, storia, personaggi, colonna sonora e Grafica ne fanno un Capolavoro. Migliora in tutto il primo capitolo, e prepara le basi per la degna conclusione.
  4. Jul 6, 2016
    Gameplay : 9
    Graphics : 9
    Story : 8
    Sound : 9
    Overall : 9
  5. Jun 22, 2016
    2/18/2012: People love to hate on this game, but I feel like it fixed a lot of the first game's problems, maybe too well: It really just feels like a slightly RPGish cover shooter. This is not a bad thing, but it's a pretty dramatic switch from the first game. And it made that game, which I utterly loved the first time through, seem really crappy, and that feels weird to say. Mass Effect 22/18/2012: People love to hate on this game, but I feel like it fixed a lot of the first game's problems, maybe too well: It really just feels like a slightly RPGish cover shooter. This is not a bad thing, but it's a pretty dramatic switch from the first game. And it made that game, which I utterly loved the first time through, seem really crappy, and that feels weird to say. Mass Effect 2 is nothing if not damn fun (And has a much improved PC port), but it can drag on a bit, has horrendous load times, and yeah, the mining mini-game sucks. But it pulled me in and kept me in my seat in a way most shooters would only dream of. Again, the game's strong point is its writing and in-depth universe. One would hope the upcoming third and quote "final" (and lo and behold, it was not) iteration addresses the flaws of the earlier titles while preserving what I loved about the first two- a true sense of the epic, the wonder of exploring the galaxy and the feeling of power you get from being Shepard.

6/22/2016: I was right about that last bit.
  6. Jun 21, 2016
    A second instalment in what is probably the best sci-fi shooting RPG.

In game you become resurrected captain Sherppard to face the ever present danger from the Reapers and their newest lackeys in the form of Collectors. To stop them from harvesting humans you need to travel the galaxy far and wide to recruit your allays and defeat the Collectors. This game does not differ very much
    A second instalment in what is probably the best sci-fi shooting RPG.

This game does not differ very much from the first part but it doesn't have to to be good. The graphics, the voice acting, the music - everything is top notch. You get a wide array of weapons with which to shoot your enemies. And special powers to augment your weapons and strike your enemies. The gameplay is very nice and smooth, you control your character from third person view, and can give commands to your two team mates. In most situations they do just fine with only once in a while necessity to directly issue orders.

The environment is pretty, varies from place to place and is well designed. The shooting in most cases is a familiar cover based fire fight. You one from one cover to another, reload and shoot with weapon best suited for the situation.

The only problem I had with the game is that there is not that much of a main story line. Most of the missions can be treated separately as most of them is either recruiting a new team member or helping him out with his specific task. Almost all of them need a separate recruitment and all of them come with a single mission not really related to the main task. For a completionist this sets the main mission on hold and you get the feeling of "no hurry - we've got time" contrary to the what the game would like to make you feel.

Space exploration is fun as well though looking for resources can be a bit tedious at times. But each mission is designed with care and creates a solid, atmospheric experience.

Overall really liked the game and can highly recommend it to anyone liking sci-fi.
  7. Jun 14, 2016
    the best rpg game shooter ever, the character and storyline is well developed, i can play this game for 5 hours straight bcs of the well written story (as expected from bioware). not only mass effect 2, but also the mass effect trilogy is the best rpg shooter series i've ever played, hands down for this masterpiece
  8. May 9, 2016
    I am assuming direct control of this review:

I am assuming direct control of this review:

BioWare’s first Mass Effect felt like a KOTOR clone. The universe was a place we wanted to live in, but there were too many systems and menus to dig through to get there. BioWare streamed back and watered down RPG mechanics and streamlined gameplay to put more emphasis on the shooting mechanics with the 2nd game of the saga. Turns out, it wasn't so bad after all: Mass Effect 2 trims just enough fat to let you focus on what matters: the optional Loyalty missions for your team.

Instead of an exercise in galactic exploration, Mass Effect 2 plays out like a sci-fi Ocean's Eleven or Dirty Dozen. Recruiting a team to take on the Collectors puts the focus on small, interesting stories. Each Loyalty mission gives you insight into your companions’ motivations, making every member of the Normandy's crew an unusually deep character. Once you've grown to know and love them, the endgame suicide run is one of the tensest final missions ever. It's rare for a game to spend more time on character arcs than its central driving narrative, but Mass Effect 2 pulls it off. This is some of the best writing in BioWare's history, and a deeply satisfying gaming experience.

The clunky controls with the usual catering to consoles drag down PC gameplay, Trying to determine how scale-itch got onto Normandy. Sexually-transmitted disease. Only carried by varren. Implications unpleasant.

Still 6 years later, Mass Effect 2 hold the line. So enjoy yourself while possible, Shepard. Will be here, replaying Mass Effect 2. Much simpler. Less alcohol and mood music required. Only BioWare could pull something like that, someone else might have gotten it wrong.

I rate 10 because it’s so easy to see the galaxy in black and white. Gray? I don’t know what to do with gray.
  9. Apr 24, 2016
    They stripped down all rpg-related mechanics. Gameplay become consolized. Story is OK but has nothing to do with previous part. The choices from ME1 also doesn't matter much, it's mostly cosmetics. So, instead of bigger and better rpg we were given shooter game with choices, that pretends to be role-playing game but it's not. Thanks for making us idiots EA/Bio!!
  10. Apr 18, 2016
    To say that this game earned the title of one of the best games ever made is a bit understated. The first Mass Effect was ok...but Mass Effect 2?! Holy crapola!

I hated the conversations in the first game, but this time around I couldn't WAIT to see how things would go! The interactions with all the various crew members was just outstanding! The game play....outstanding! The mods available to make it look better than it already did...OUTSTANDING!!

The only thing about this game that I absolutely can NOT stand is male sheppard's voice. God, how monotone can you be?! Totally sounded like he would rather be having a root canal than have anything at all to do with this story.

That's why I will ALWAYS play FemShep. :)

On a scale of 1 to 100, ME2 gets a 99.9 from me. The .01 off is thanks to MaleShep's awful voice. lol
  11. Apr 3, 2016
    Mass effect 2 is a engaging shooter with satisfying gun combat and rpg mechanics. What makes the game particularly enjoyable in addition to the combat and team management is the level of immersion the game is capable of procuring. The audio-visual compartment is captivating. The world and lore is well flesh-out, which confers your choices and actions a sense of credibility and impact.Mass effect 2 is a engaging shooter with satisfying gun combat and rpg mechanics. What makes the game particularly enjoyable in addition to the combat and team management is the level of immersion the game is capable of procuring. The audio-visual compartment is captivating. The world and lore is well flesh-out, which confers your choices and actions a sense of credibility and impact. There are emotionally meaningful choices on offer which contributes greatly to the immersion. The pacing is on point, thanks also to the minimal amount of grinding present. The characters are well designed and like-able. All of this makes the game a highly enjoyable, personalized and entertaining ride from A to Z, which is rare. It is not a masterpiece of tactical combat and rpg elements, but it is a well-designed, coherent experience that does a lot of things well. This one of the most memorable game of the last generation and it is easily recommendable to anyone. Expand
  12. Mar 22, 2016
    Very mediocre, boring game.

Production values - best character animations and voice acting I saw - closer to AAA movie than a game - but the story is really lame and shooter gameplay bored me to death. Halfway through I deleted my Origin account to never see this again.
  13. Feb 29, 2016
    Oh my! What a show! What an ending! I miss already but I can't imagine any other Shephard that mine. Fantastic, immersive story, colorful, deep characters, improved shooting, there's nothing I could complain about. More of that!
  14. Feb 26, 2016
    Disclaimer:
    I've played the first Mass Effect with all of the DLCs and plays 50+ hours of Mass Effect 2 clearing the story and all story related DLC. RPGs are one of my favourite genres.
    Intro: On Mass Effect 2 we once again take the role of Commander Shepard tasked once again to save the universe from a threat that almost everyone is either ignoring on purpose or just plain doesn't
    Disclaimer:

Intro:
    On Mass Effect 2 we once again take the role of Commander Shepard tasked once again to save the universe from a threat that almost everyone is either ignoring on purpose or just plain doesn't know about!

What I liked:
    - Graphics - A great overall improvement over Mass Effect 1.
    - Combat System - Much better than Mass Effect 1, it feels closer to a Third Person Shooter now.
    - The feeling of making a difference in the galaxy and in my squad mates' lives.
    - The story.

What I didn't like:
    - No menu hotkeys: a hotkey for the journal and squad menus were much appreciated in the first Mass Effect. Why aren't they in the second game? Why isn't there any way to add them?
    - DLC is somewhat mandatory: I romanced Liara in ME1 and I was very disappointed to find out I had to spend another 8€ on DLC to be able to romance her again in ME2. Not cool!!!
    - Crashes, crashes and CRASHES: This game crashed sooooooo many times on my PC :'(.

Conclusion:
    This game was just like Skyrim to me: it's incredibly fun to play but OMG it crashes so much :(!
    I highly recommend this RPG but only if you have the patience to reboot the game over and over again when it crashes.
  15. Feb 26, 2016
    A great sequel to a great game. This delivers even more on the original and has so much great story and interaction. The actual gun play still leaves a little to be desired but the world it immerses you in more than makes up for it.
  16. Feb 13, 2016
    Mass Effect 2 is one of the best sequels in the history of video games and the greatest of the sci-fi RPG genre.The story is well-written,the decisions you make are always effective in the story,the gameplay is even better than the original,the characters are memorable,the soundtrack and the voice acting are outstanding.It's a perfect game on almost every aspect.A must-have,especially forMass Effect 2 is one of the best sequels in the history of video games and the greatest of the sci-fi RPG genre.The story is well-written,the decisions you make are always effective in the story,the gameplay is even better than the original,the characters are memorable,the soundtrack and the voice acting are outstanding.It's a perfect game on almost every aspect.A must-have,especially for pc-gamers. Expand
  17. Jan 11, 2016
    The second game in the series is the middle ground between the mediocrity of Mass Effect 1 and the fu... bad work of Mass Effect 3.

The writing is significantly worse, and the whole game is one big DLC-quality content. I remember when after the final mission against the Collectors I was thinking "now, the game starts", only to see the ending credits. What? Fortunately, the gameplay improved, meaning the game is a straightforwardly mediocre TPS, with really badly designed levels that don't even try to disguise themselves as another "pop-a-mole" arenas.

And that's it, really. There's not much to talk about this game, because it's literally some filler quests of day-caring your handicapped companions who can't wipe themselves off after using a toilet.
    Wait, there's one of the best **** in the history of writing. Well, at least it was until Mass Effect 3 was released. It's the Harbringer - writers turned the already weak (with the ending of Mass Effect 1) premise of the Reapers as something really "outworldy", and before they've turned them into dragons with armies of zombies (ME3), in ME2 their leader is some kind of comedian controlling the Collectors, that keeps dying and dying after one headshot (on the highest difficulty setting) from a sniper rifle, spitting out some BS like "you feel the pain Shepard", "you will loose", etc.
    What they forgot to implement in the final version is the line of "I WILL GET YOU NEXT TIME, GADGET!"

It's a considerable doze of pop-a-mole action for 1€. Well, 5€ is the maximum amount I would pay for this title.
  18. Jan 2, 2016
    Amazing sci-fi story. Like playing Star Trek with your own ship. Past Decisions carry over.

Graphics: 9
    Game play : 9
    World Design: 9
    Content: 9
    Immersion: 10
    Story: 10
  19. Dec 15, 2015
    Mass Effect 2 does not only fulfill its destiny of being an amazing sequel to the beloved previous title, it also fulfills the widest dream of every RPG lover.
  20. Nov 28, 2015
    (I changed my review and changed my score to 1. Mass Effect 2 is a terrible badly written story)

The story continues. Not where Mass Effect 1 left off, mind you, but with a clear break because Shepard and his/her famous ship Normandy get zapped to tiny bits by the latest threat to the Galaxy only to be reconstituted by the nefarious Cerberus organisation, headed by that sinister individual called the Illusive Man for gargantuan amounts of money.
    This little trick is needed to make sure that the new enemy isn't dealt with at once, because with Shepard's powers, high reputation, influential Spectre status and team of experts the end mission could have gotten underway from the start. So instead, Shepard is killed and Shepard is resurrected to start the game with a clean slate so you can gain it all again. Unfortunately someone must have listened to Sympathy for the Devil once too often and and hooked up the hero of the galaxy with the biggest evil organisation of the galaxy for no reason at all. Yes, it is that bad: as in writing as well as in situation.

The story is dreadful. A big flaw is how it fails to uphold its own moral system. ME2 uses Kotor's light side/dark side system translated into paragon and renegade. It reduces decisions to 'right' or 'wrong' options, depending on what the creators deem is 'right' or 'wrong' in a given situation. A third option does not afford any awards. Just like with Kotor: being neutral is the worst state to be in.
    An example how bad this is handled in ME 2 is the scene were you run into a bunch of looters, lecture them about stealing from the dead while you ransacked apartments down the corridors before and will do so after. You actually get rewarded for being a hypocrite.
    Another example: you get rewarded for convincing a company to buy a slave, even though that company is against slavery. Well done.
    I do not advocate a moral compass, but ME2 insists on it and it makes a mockery out of it. This is what makes ME2 at the core a flawed story.

But the issues run even deeper.
    You are forced to serve one of the worst organisation in the galaxy whose methods and tactics haven't changed much as far as you can tell, but now you happen to be working for it. Your fellow crew members have no moral problems serving a criminal organisation, one that is known to have experimented on humans including children, not because out of loyalty for you - because everyone though you were dead - but because of any lame excuse that can explain away their lack of integrity.
    When it becomes clear that the human colony Horizon was offered as bait by Cerberus, without the Illusive Man informing you beforehand, you don't even get the option to leave. And if you are tricked again by him with the Collector Ship mission, you still can't leave the organisation.
    The writers of this game did the most terrible thing one can imagine on a player, they stripped the player of the illusion of freedom of choice. After the collector ship, neither a renegade like Snake Plisken nor a paragon like Aragorn would have stayed. Nobody would have been take for a ride twice, but for you, because the writers force you to.

Piss poor writing is at every corner. Take Miranda's personal quest. In her quests one of her trusted friends betrays her to a bunch of mercenaries merely because she wasn't upfront about her sister to him. Years of friendship down the drain by one single incident. And he doesn't even confront her with his feelings first, but instead sells out her sister to someone he doesn't even know. Because that is how people think in the skewed world of Mass Effect.
    Terrible terrible terrible writing..

Without a good story what is left is a game that allows you to fight spawned monsters with a team of three. For those who like shooters it will feel like a drag, especially as there are no fast buttons to switch between weapons or no way to dash. At higher difficulty levels you run into ammunition shortages, which means that you have to rely more on powers, which makes battles last longer and drawn out. At least one avatar becomes useless at higher levels because her powers don't work on armored or shielded enemies. And they all are. The AI is terrible. Enemies consists mostly of three kinds. Small ones that swarm, normal ones that hang in the back and big ones that charge at you to use their overwhelming firepower to hammer you down.

The fun part is perhaps to try out various combinations of powers and team members in various settings and to explore the personal missions of some, if not all of your team mates. But don't be surprised if you forgot what it all was about as it doesn't really matter. And don't worry: there is always a big sign pointing which way to go. You can't miss it. And even if you do miss it, it will force itself on you eventually.
  21. Nov 27, 2015
    Mass Effect 2 is one of the greatest games ever made. Perfect story, perfect experience.
    The control developed since the previous part. The graphics is good, but it's 2015, use the graphics tools.
    I can't wait for the new episode. 10/10
  22. Nov 16, 2015
    Ok, the ME universe is one big pile of cliche however this game is epic in every sense, the soundtrack, it's presentation and storyline.

It's like being in a movie and you're going on a real suicide mission. Marked down slightly because according to a friend who's a Doctor, the start of the game (Lazarus Project) is completely idiotic who also states that Omega would be

It's like being in a movie and you're going on a real suicide mission.

Marked down slightly because according to a friend who's a Doctor, the start of the game (Lazarus Project) is completely idiotic who also states that Omega would be un-inhabitable if it was set out as it is in the game.

Also probably the first game in history to have a HUG button in a QTE.

One of Bioware's last great games.

Finally, one of the memes around this game has to be laughed at. It has Commander Shepard with his arms crossed with sunglasses with the slogan "Safest Suicide Mission ever: 100% Survival rate"
  23. Nov 5, 2015
    Mass Effect 2 is one of its kind, you will experience a great adventure during atleast 20h of gameplay. Characters are very unique and special. One of the best RPG's ever. Personally, this is my best episod.
  24. Oct 30, 2015
    This is to date my favorite game , it has almost everything, excellent voice acting and characters that make care about them, decisions to make that will affect the ending, the normandy and its crew, but the most important thing is the history and is top notch, also the missions ,locations and soundtrack are inmersive and very very good.
  25. Oct 14, 2015
    mass effect 2 is hand down the 2nd place of all my favorite games of all time. the writing is amazingly godlike, excellent voice acting, excellent story and squadmates that you will remember. the twist in this game are very good, (and im not one to look kindly on twists). i think tis should be the one you'll start with. not the first one. i started with mass effect 2 not knowing anythingmass effect 2 is hand down the 2nd place of all my favorite games of all time. the writing is amazingly godlike, excellent voice acting, excellent story and squadmates that you will remember. the twist in this game are very good, (and im not one to look kindly on twists). i think tis should be the one you'll start with. not the first one. i started with mass effect 2 not knowing anything about mass effect but at the end of mass effect 2 i understod everything i needed to know. if you decide you want the game, please get all the downloadable content. you will not regret lair of the shadow broker, kasimu: stolem memories, arrival and maybe project Overlord (that one is kinda of a hit and miss). question. should you get the game?. yes. you will find enjoyment out of it and if you dont know anything about mass effect this is the one to start with Expand
  26. Oct 8, 2015
    This very loosely an rpg, it's more of an fps action/rpg. The game itself has very few flaw, but most glaring one are your so called team mates which you have to keep a close eye on and near you, because your Shepard is the main target for enemies. The other glaring flaw is your view point which is behind and slightly to the right of your character, and while it works for games like swtorThis very loosely an rpg, it's more of an fps action/rpg. The game itself has very few flaw, but most glaring one are your so called team mates which you have to keep a close eye on and near you, because your Shepard is the main target for enemies. The other glaring flaw is your view point which is behind and slightly to the right of your character, and while it works for games like swtor or skyrim it does not in fps. Skyrim has the best pov in a game since you can choose your pov. It would been better if this was a true fps. Expand
  27. Sep 30, 2015
    Very good game from BioWare. Excellent graphics, fantastic fight mode. I have no words to describe this game. One of the most amazing games from EA - this words could be fine
  28. Sep 16, 2015
    A game that does almost everything right and stays with you forever.
    A game that does almost everything right and stays with you forever.
    The plot takes a sharp turn from mass effect 1 and gives the player a chance to take a peek at the wonderful world Bioware crafted. Not everyone approved the changes in mass effect 2, many players put the blame for mass effect 3 shortcomings on the second game. The short comings refer to the change in plot and less sense of immediate threat and direction that were core elements in the first game and were pushed away from the front of the stage in mass effect 2.

However, this is exactly where Mass effect 2 shines, by choosing a more relaxed course in comparison to the fast roller coaster in the first game. The players are able to feel the gaps in the story with their own imagination. Nothing can be taken at face value. Every decision and piece of information you receive needs to be analyzed and dissected, and it encourages you to read the well made codex.

There is a reason so many players have played this 20 hours game to completion several times or more.
    It is just that good, and if you haven't jumped on the mass effect wagon, do yourself a favor and go play the first and the second, it will probably be your best game related decision in your life, I know it was mine.
    Just a word of advice. Once you finished this game, avoid the urge to play the third and just complete the story with your own imagination, you won't regret it.
  29. Sep 12, 2015
    Game: Mass Effect 2
    Genre: Third Person Shooter - RPG
    Developer: Bioware/EA System: Steam (PC) Total Score: 95/100 Value Score: 9.5/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 9/10 • Graphics: 8/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 8/10 • Length: 10/10 • Replay Value: 10/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Storyline elements from the first game are retained with
    Game: Mass Effect 2

• Music: 8/10
    • Length: 10/10
    • Replay Value: 10/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Storyline elements from the first game are retained with Paragon/Renegade choices which lead to different results and scenarios.
    +Fantastic voice acting
    +Save files from ME1 can be imported to ME2 and ME2 save files can be exported to ME3
    +New DLC content is heavy with Storyline elements
    +Ability to collect figurines of ships and artifacts
    +Achievement system specifically designed for ME2 is included
    +Ability to scan planets and explore the galaxy is much better than the first game unlike the first game where you go through barren planets.
    +Side missions are more beneficial and much more exciting and challenging than the first game.

Cons
    -The ability to alter a character's appearance depending on what equipment they have on no longer exists
    -No more armor equipment for any characters, only weapons
    -Class system still exists but barebones compared to the original
    -Game is more of a Shooter than a RPG unlike the first game
    -DLC is expensive and can only be obtained either via Amazon or Bioware Store
  30. Aug 2, 2015
    It's more like a science fiction TPS than an RPG but it still has some elements of it like the free to go places with many NPCs, and there are always some smaller missions. But character upgrade is quite linear, and the missions are always a big shooting fest, a real adrenaline rush. The world of the game is incredibly detailed and I also like the characters who join us during theIt's more like a science fiction TPS than an RPG but it still has some elements of it like the free to go places with many NPCs, and there are always some smaller missions. But character upgrade is quite linear, and the missions are always a big shooting fest, a real adrenaline rush. The world of the game is incredibly detailed and I also like the characters who join us during the missions. Overall it's a nearly perfect game with nice graphics and well-written story. Expand
  31. Jul 5, 2015
    An awesome sequel to the first Mass Effect, with an engaging story and graphics far superior to its predecessor. They removed one annoying element (cumbersome inventory management) with another one (tedious scanning of planets to collect resources for upgrades), but overall gameplay goes smoothly and is very entertaining. The RPG elements are a bit light though, with the limited choices ofAn awesome sequel to the first Mass Effect, with an engaging story and graphics far superior to its predecessor. They removed one annoying element (cumbersome inventory management) with another one (tedious scanning of planets to collect resources for upgrades), but overall gameplay goes smoothly and is very entertaining. The RPG elements are a bit light though, with the limited choices of skills and upgrades. Expand
  32. Jun 30, 2015
    One of the best video games there is out there. A true turning point for bioware in understanding the importance of creating interesting characters for their players. The attachment to these characters will stick with you long after you have played this game.
  33. Jun 26, 2015
    - Good: Gameplay, Story, Characters, Setting
    - Mixed: Atmosphere/Mood, Exploration, Writing
    - Bad: ---

Great, the best game in the series. Probably one of the most enjoyable game from Bioware i ever played.
  34. Jun 26, 2015
    Mass Effect 2 is mass effect's greatest peak in the entire trilogy. And perhaps bioware's magnum opus at their time. Mostly everything was improved from mass effect 1, such as the poor optimization for PC ports. But some sacrifices had to be made from mass effect 2 which wasn't in the previous games. Such as the RPG elements in mass effect 2 are very, very limited compared to the previousMass Effect 2 is mass effect's greatest peak in the entire trilogy. And perhaps bioware's magnum opus at their time. Mostly everything was improved from mass effect 1, such as the poor optimization for PC ports. But some sacrifices had to be made from mass effect 2 which wasn't in the previous games. Such as the RPG elements in mass effect 2 are very, very limited compared to the previous entry. But otherwise, the story was interesting as you fight with Cerberus, learning from the previous game, Cerberus was know for their terrorist acts.

Squad members improved as well. They included 2x more squad mates in the second installation as well as 2 old squad members from mass effect 1 rejoin you as well. Not only that you get to have a dedicated mission to increase their loyalty as well as increasing their chances of a romance for some characters.

So overall this game gives a lot more than it's their previous entry which results in a lot more longer gameplay. (Mass effect 1 clocks around 19-20 hours of 80% gameplay completed and mass effect 2 clocks in about 28-30 hours of 90% completed plus 10 more hours of dlc completed at 100%). Although it does remove RPG elements from the first game and looting and limited the amount of weapons and armor plus the mako removed from the game. I think the game is still worth looking at if you liked the first game. This game has many planets to explore as well as an interesting storyline.

So to sum it up... Get the game. You won't regret it.
  35. Jun 17, 2015
    Quite possibly my favorite video game of all time, Mass Effect 2 improved on the gameplay of the original Mass Effect while offering up a rich new cast of characters that were fascinating to get to know as well as the return of a couple of fan favorites from the original. I wouldn't say that the game was perfect, as the central storyline didn't quite live up to the first game, but it didQuite possibly my favorite video game of all time, Mass Effect 2 improved on the gameplay of the original Mass Effect while offering up a rich new cast of characters that were fascinating to get to know as well as the return of a couple of fan favorites from the original. I wouldn't say that the game was perfect, as the central storyline didn't quite live up to the first game, but it did so much right that I could never not give it a full ten. Mass Effect 2 offered me the things that I really want in my games - great storytelling, a fascinating and rich setting, and engaging characters. A true masterpiece! Expand
  36. May 22, 2015
    Possibly the best in the series and one of my favorite RPGs. The combat is vastly improved from the first game and the story like always is terrific. The final level is terrific. Get it.
  37. May 13, 2015
    Excellent game. Developed characters, epic story, interesting plot. However, i must point out - i feel that the decision between good and bad choices (Paragon vs Renegade) affects the progression of the game in no way whatsoever. Yes, if your Paragon (goodness) is high enough, locked options will become available to you in dialogues; but as to the effect on the overall story - whetherExcellent game. Developed characters, epic story, interesting plot. However, i must point out - i feel that the decision between good and bad choices (Paragon vs Renegade) affects the progression of the game in no way whatsoever. Yes, if your Paragon (goodness) is high enough, locked options will become available to you in dialogues; but as to the effect on the overall story - whether you are an angel or a bad ass - has no effect whatsoever. I wish in some way it did, and an alternative path could be taken by a Renegade than the paragon fan. It is not the case, unfortunately. The rhythm of the game is, too, a little bit off - it seems every character (from your gathered team) waits until the very end of the game, to pour his entire life's story on you. Very anti-climatic, considering how the ending picks up the pacing of the story. These are the only negatives i have for this game - otherwise, a solid blockbuster for me! Enjoyed highly! Expand
  38. May 12, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 2 steps forward, 4 steps back right bioware? What I cannot fathom is how this game has earned the title of one of the best pc games ever made. Mass Effect 2 feels much smaller than mass effect 1, which was part of its charm. Mass effect 1 really did make you feel like you were exploring planets and galaxies, hell even an entire universe. Many areas of mass effect 2, while are unique unlike mass effect 1 copy and paste room and hallways, just take away from the game. Remember the HUGE citadel embassies, C-SEC HQ and the Upper and lower wards with the casinos, bars and shops? ALL GONE. Instead you explore some place called the zakera wards on the citadel and there is less things to do and people to talk to than in the first one.That is all you can do in the citadel. The game removes all of the RPG, And I do mean ALL of it apart from a dialogue wheel. Inventory? gone. Meaningful progression? gone. Exploration? Gone. Hacking and looting? I don't even need to say it. This game has fallen into a generic TPS and anyone else who disagrees is mentally challenged or a Fan boy .

The main story had potential, but is riddled with plot holes. Why did Walter activate the mechs to kill everyone? Why the hell did the reapers want to build a human reaper? both of these and many more are unexplained. Why was the writing this poor? to give the story needless and senseless drama. The collectors were building a human reaper out of humans....why? it makes no sense. Its shocking and interesting and makes no sense. This game is not an rpg. This is a TPS with a dialogue option.
  39. Apr 5, 2015
    Must I say that I adored the first Mass Effect game!
    It was very much entertaining, unique in its own way, action-packed and both the story and the characters are very well developed. I'm not a big fan of science-fiction in general but this franchise made me reconsider some of my choices and probably in a near future I'll try to play other videogames within this genre.
    Mass Effect 2 was
    Must I say that I adored the first Mass Effect game!
    Mass Effect 2 was a really good sequel and I enjoyed it a lot. A more darker tone was present throughout the whole thing that made the story itself more compelling and addictive and also managed to shape the characters somehow along the way.
    A new set of squadmates was present and we get to see some familiar faces such as Tali and Garrus. And each one of them had their own storyline (or sidequest, if you want to call it that) that explored more of their backgrounds and if you succeded, their loyalty towards you would increase. And I can honestly say that character development was one of the best components in ME2.
    There was an obvious improvement in graphic quality, which I appreciated. In terms of gameplay, not so much. There were still a couple things that I liked but at the same time, it felt like there was almost nothing that I could pinpoint that felt trully good in this specific component.
    The weapons were basically the same with just slight differences between each other and only a few newer ones were added that really helped defeating the enemies. There was also a new component in ME2 which was the "Planet Scanning" and even that felt a little bit disappointing. Yes, in order to have more upgrades to either the Normandy itself or the character's power, we'd have to scan a lot of planets searching for resources that allowed to make the said upgrades. I guess it was okay, I never really cared about that... and it could be distracting at times.
    But the thing that bothered the most was the map. Whenever I wanted to check the map and see where I had to go, I always had to click on a specific button and a few seconds later, the map itself would disappear. This made me repeat the same process a lot of times and that, in comparison to ME1, was really difficult to deal with.
    Overall, it was a very enjoyable videogame that had its ups and downs with a really good storyline.
  40. Mar 25, 2015
    Gonna keep this short and sweet. You need the "Better ME2 (unofficial patch)" mod to enjoy this game, but it's amazing. Anti-aliasing is a MAJOR problem on PC, because there's no way to activate it in the mass effect 2 launcher, but the quick mod I mentioned instantly clears it up. Besides that it's outstanding and just as good as the original.
  41. Mar 14, 2015
    A brilliant game, one of my all time favourites. Awesome story, immersion, cut scenes, quests, graphic style, decisions, companions (Miranda!!, Tali,...) and NPCs. It's just a pity the RPG elements were cut back.
  42. Feb 16, 2015
    The sequel to the first ME it's good but not that good as the first.
    The things I did enjoy in the sequel. NPC's still good and there is a lot more to chose from. I missed Wrex and the other Krogan Grunt was not my type. Favorite characters in this part are Garus, Thane, Jack and Zaeed.
    Dialogue options were expanded even more. Combat was improved and the cover system felt more fluid.
    The sequel to the first ME it's good but not that good as the first.
    What is missing is the world exploration. Now it's just scamning. The game is more combat focused. The side quest are mostly gone. Insted we get NPC side quests which are interesting but there are only few of them.
    Good game but they didn't have to change it in that many ways. Played it twice from start to finish.
    For me 8 out of 10.

PS. There is a good selection of interesting DLC. Worth to play them just for the story.
  43. Feb 7, 2015
    After seeing the game with such a high user review I went into the game with high expectations. Unfortunately however I felt Mass Effect 1 was more enjoyable and this was more of a 'I just want to cut to the chase and see the ending' type game. The first 7 hours or so were quite tedious as you go around finding new crew members and then carrying out their tasks. It wasn't until the lastAfter seeing the game with such a high user review I went into the game with high expectations. Unfortunately however I felt Mass Effect 1 was more enjoyable and this was more of a 'I just want to cut to the chase and see the ending' type game. The first 7 hours or so were quite tedious as you go around finding new crew members and then carrying out their tasks. It wasn't until the last few missions that I felt the game started to shine as the tasks became evermore difficult, action packed, and full of decisions that actually made you take a moment to think. Overall the game wasn't bad, it just wasn't anything incredible. I look forward to playing Mass Effect 3 next though. Expand
  44. Feb 6, 2015
    There are very few games which can be described as having truly perfected their formula. One could say that Mario and Sonic perfected the platformer, that mario galaxy perfected the 3D platformer, perhaps even that games like GTA: San Andreas perfected the open-world formula. Mass Effect 2 is a game that has created its own formula by delicately fusing RPG elements with third-personThere are very few games which can be described as having truly perfected their formula. One could say that Mario and Sonic perfected the platformer, that mario galaxy perfected the 3D platformer, perhaps even that games like GTA: San Andreas perfected the open-world formula. Mass Effect 2 is a game that has created its own formula by delicately fusing RPG elements with third-person shooter gameplay, and the result is simply pure perfection.

The game picks up a few years after the first Mass Effect game and revolves around the protagonist from the first game, John (or Jane) Shepard, who after waking up from a coma and being essentially brought back from the dead by a shadowy organisation named Cerberus must stop an invasion of deadly aliens known as the Collectors, who are abducting entire colonies of humans for some unknown purpose. To do this, he must assemble a team and travel beyond the Omega 4 Relay, from which no ship has ever returned. As he recruits new allies and old friends for his suicide mission, Shepard makes new discoveries which reveal more and more of the mysterious Collectors' nature and goals.

The story in this game is absolutely amazing. How the plot progresses depends partly on the actions that Shepard took in the first Mass Effect, so I highly reccommend playing that first before this. The rest is decided through the game's morality system - "Paragon" choices make Shepard a much more noble, just character, whereas "Renegade" choices make him bolder, harsher and colder. This allows for a different experience and different character developments for Shepard depending on what choices the player makes throughout the game and its predecessor - anything that you do could change the course of the whole game. And when you reach the ending, I absolutely guarantee that you will be on the edge of your computer chair with tension. Also returning from Mass Effect 1 is the ability to start a romantic relationship with one of the characters on board the ship. This has little effect on the storyline itself but it's kind of cute to see Shepard finding love.

As for the gameplay, Mass Effect 2 builds upon the starndard third person shooter formula with some innovative features, for instance Shepard and his team can use various abilities in battle, including various technological abilities, different weapon ammo types and "biotics" - psychic-like abilities which can be used for both offence and defence. This seems to make battles flow much more as you swictn betwnn shooting and using your powers to find the best way of dispatching your enemy.

The game has a "loyalty mission" system, wherein you can gain special missions from particular characters, and if you complete these missions you will unlock an extra outfitm and extra power and that character's "loyalty" - in the endgame thhis will become very important, so after you start receiving these missions, try to avoid other missions until you have recruited everyone and completed all of their loyalty missions. Shepard can also purchase upgrades for his allies and for his ship, the Normandy - these will also be much needed in the endgame.

All in all, Mass Effect 2 is hard to describe with any other word other than its own title. With an awe-inspiring story, action-packed gameplay and endless replay value, no self-respecting gamer should pass it up.
  45. Feb 3, 2015
    The user score here surprised me so much I had to write a review.
    First, it has the worst gameplay in the saga. Most RPG elements got removed, and it became a straight forward action game with pinch of other elements.
    The user score here surprised me so much I had to write a review.
    Second, the story is between horrible to non-existent. It starts with deus ex machina, continues with ruining the Shepherd character, and ends without making any sense or impact what so ever. From the saga over arching plot point of view, it spends minimal amount of time to foreshadowing events that in the end aren't even used or appear in the next title. Basically, a joke of a game.
    If you're looking for a shooter action game, it could be a fun game, but don't expect anything else.
  46. Jan 30, 2015
    Possibly the greatest RPG of all time for its style(character and story driven with light combat and character development). Do not get this game expecting it to be Fallout or Skyrim, it is about a journey and more importantly the characters of that journey, it is closer to A telltale game than a traditional RPG, but it is incredible. Many people viewed the softer combat as a negative butPossibly the greatest RPG of all time for its style(character and story driven with light combat and character development). Do not get this game expecting it to be Fallout or Skyrim, it is about a journey and more importantly the characters of that journey, it is closer to A telltale game than a traditional RPG, but it is incredible. Many people viewed the softer combat as a negative but really that was the game removing non core elements, and it shows because the bond you feel for the characters in this series is greater than any other RPG I have played. Part of the reason that people were so let down by the ending is that this game and the majority of the third game are where you will find great moment after great moment, this series really picks up in the second game and its an incredible journey to experience. Expand
  47. Jan 11, 2015
    Its not an RPG. Its an action adventure like Zelda minus fun puzzles but with a complex story. Its not bad as an action adventure game but unfortunately they bore me to tears. The big problem is that I have played so many games that no story has felt even remotely original since KotOR. Since then, that story has been redone a few dozen times (Atlus I am looking at you lol). Since storiesIts not an RPG. Its an action adventure like Zelda minus fun puzzles but with a complex story. Its not bad as an action adventure game but unfortunately they bore me to tears. The big problem is that I have played so many games that no story has felt even remotely original since KotOR. Since then, that story has been redone a few dozen times (Atlus I am looking at you lol). Since stories are no longer original, I depend on RPG elements to give me something to enjoy. Without them, I get bored quickly. Even Mass Effect 1 felt like RPG lite to me but it was still good.

That said, let me point out that there is some good here for an adventure game. Voice acting was fine, graphics look good, combat was fun (relatively speaking from my perspective) and there is a lot of content. The bad news is that without heavy RPG elements it felt like a FPS MMO (hollow). Characters didnt really have a lot of "character." Quests... well we have seen them all so nothing new here. Areas were too static and nothing from ME1 seemed to change anything important in ME2. I felt especially bored and dreaded going to the citadel. Other areas are linear which was nice for me because I didnt want to linger out of boredom.

Overall, its a good game. It is highly overrated but sales numbers speak louder than words.

ME1 (new IP) - 3.6m (on only PC and XBOX)
    ME2 (riding ME1 reputation) - 5.2m (on PC, PS3 & XBOX)
    ME3 (riding ME2 reputation) - 5.3m (almost no change)

Clearly, by looking at the above. The franchise became stagnant as of ME2. If there is an ME4 I would expect sales to drop.
  48. Jan 11, 2015
    Without a doubt, the gameplay is excellent, and much better than ME1. Unfortunately though, that's about the extent of the game. It's like the first-person equivalent of the recent Final Fantasy games: all gameplay, really weak storyline. At least in the first game, the storyline was fresh and interesting. Now it's old, and so is the entire style. I really hoped for something compellingWithout a doubt, the gameplay is excellent, and much better than ME1. Unfortunately though, that's about the extent of the game. It's like the first-person equivalent of the recent Final Fantasy games: all gameplay, really weak storyline. At least in the first game, the storyline was fresh and interesting. Now it's old, and so is the entire style. I really hoped for something compelling from this game, but the only thing that's driving me to beat it, is to beat it. The characters' interaction and rapport with Shepherd all seems contrived and "forced", extracting any sense of fluidity. I'd also like to see less repetition within the NPC dialogue. Overall, I want to like the game, and sometimes I do, but way too inconsistently. If it was rated 80, I could cope with that, but this is way overrated; a rating of 94 is completely unwarranted. Expand
  49. Jan 1, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A great continuation of Mass Effect series which clearly tries to fix the flaws of its predecessor. It greatly improved combat and AI, but somehow manages to do it at the cost of meaningful gameplay.
    For me, this game was focused on the combat aspects rather than story. As a third person shooter, it was a fun experience. Of course, if you realize how to get rid of the mouse acceleration/dampening.

It has loads of abilities, max level talents and insane amount of followers. But the main story is forced, and you end up spending most of the time forcefully collecting followers and helping them out with unrelated personal quests, in addition to side quests that's already available.

I would definitively recommend the game. Mainly because it contains enough story plot that shouldn't be missed before ME3. The follower stories are negligible but few matter to the main story. With the good combat elements and customization - it's definitively worth playing, but also very hyped imho.
  50. Dec 18, 2014
    "An Epic Sci-fi Space Adventure"
    -------------------------------------------
    Mass Effect 2 is simply the Pinnacle of role play games. It is the most satisfying game up to date, the game surpasses all the expectations. It builds it's own unique sci fi universe with a incredible story and a superb and unforgettable cast of characters Mass Effect 2 is simply THE BEST game of all time.
    "An Epic Sci-fi Space Adventure"
    -------------------------------------------

- Zaeed Lacks Character Development
    - Too Short

/SCORE: 4.3
    Kasumi Stolen Memory DLC
    --------------------------------------------------------- + Kasumi's Story + Bekenstein Looks Great - Kasumi Feels Uninteresting - Bit Overpriced /SCORE: 6.7 --------------------------------------------------------- Worthwhile Downloadable Packs --------------------------------------------------------- + Normandy Crash Site + Arc Projector + Alternate Appearance Pack 1 + Equalizer Pack + Mass Effect: Genesis + Alternate Appearance Pack 2 + Firepower Pack - Cerberus Weapon And Armor - Firewalker Pack - Aegis Pack --------------------------------------------------------- Overlord DLC --------------------------------------------------------- + Hammerhead Is Better Than Mako + Gorgeous Visuals + Great Wildlife + Deep Ending + Engaging Music - Not Much Dialogue /SCORE: 9.3 --------------------------------------------------------- Lair Of The Shadow Broker DLC --------------------------------------------------------- + Planet Hagalaz Is Stunning + Humorous Writing + One Impressive Car Chase + Top Notch Action + Choices Carry Over To ME3 - Pretty Short /SCORE: 9.8 --------------------------------------------------------- Arrival DLC --------------------------------------------------------- + Important Plot + Choices Has Consequences In ME3 + Engaging Combat + Lengthy But For A Low Price + Creates Tension + The Final Confrontation - Squad Members Aren't Allowed - Lacking Dialogue /SCORE: 9.8 ======GAMESCORE: 10.0 - "PINNACLE"======
  51. Dec 4, 2014
    Played it again recently with all the DLC's installed. Great game. Some things were improved others were a little step back. Story is great. Character selection is fantastic. RPG elements were cut back a bit but it still felt alright. I liked customizable armor but did not like how I couldn't change/upgrade companions armor, you could change their look which is something I guess. MiningPlayed it again recently with all the DLC's installed. Great game. Some things were improved others were a little step back. Story is great. Character selection is fantastic. RPG elements were cut back a bit but it still felt alright. I liked customizable armor but did not like how I couldn't change/upgrade companions armor, you could change their look which is something I guess. Mining for minerals is boring. Doing research to upgrade your equipment is good. Side missions are better than in previous game. Really good and fun game. Expand
  52. Nov 24, 2014
    A well-rounded and very solid sequel to the original. It improves on the first game in almost every aspect. The combat feels more fluid and much more fun, the graphics, story, and sound are better than ever.

It plays much like the original - an over the shoulder action/RPG. If you liked the first one, you will love this. There are reoccurring characters from the first game and the ability to import your ME1 character, along with all the decisions (and consequences). A really nice touch.

My only (minor) gripes is that the inventory and level-up system seems even further dumbed down compared to the first one. A definite con for those of you that like customisation in their RPGs. The galaxy map is also a little silly (and pointless). These however, are nit-picking an otherwise superb game - a game that it probably on my top 10 games of all time. Everyone should play it. Period.

Jimbo Rating: 9/10
  53. Nov 21, 2014
    A rare exception to the rule of sequels, ME2 is even more enjoyable than its acclaimed predecessor. ME2 continues in the tradition of the series with a solid plot, exceptionally well-written companions, the ability to shape the plot, and gives the user a truly immersive gaming experience.

Pros: -Well written plot and dialogue -Well written party and ample room for character

Pros:

-Well written plot and dialogue
    -Well written party and ample room for character development
    -Vastly improved combat system with cover/heat clips
    -Excellent music
    -Side quests are generally enjoyable and much improved over ME1

Cons:

-Would have liked to have had more options for main character to interact in political settings like we saw in ME1 and ME3.

This game is certainly a "must play" for any gamer.
  54. Nov 19, 2014
    Brilliant. Other than DA:O, never have I cared so much about a group of characters. The writing, the dialogue, the story-line, the depth of characterization, the graphics, the game play are all stunning. Bioware has created a space epic masterpiece with this game. From the awesomeness of the opening sequence to the nail-biting suicide mission, I was enthralled. Highly re-playable too. EachBrilliant. Other than DA:O, never have I cared so much about a group of characters. The writing, the dialogue, the story-line, the depth of characterization, the graphics, the game play are all stunning. Bioware has created a space epic masterpiece with this game. From the awesomeness of the opening sequence to the nail-biting suicide mission, I was enthralled. Highly re-playable too. Each side mission had delicious moments as well. Nothing felt throw-away. Kudus Bioware! Expand
  55. Oct 22, 2014
    There's a very, very few games out there as satisfying as Bioware's action RPG masterpiece. From combat strategy variations to mining planets to gather resource, from taking important decisions (specially at the final stages) to pursuing a relationship with crew members; everything is mind bending. not for a single moment, you'll not fell thrilled. It's a must, must play game for anyThere's a very, very few games out there as satisfying as Bioware's action RPG masterpiece. From combat strategy variations to mining planets to gather resource, from taking important decisions (specially at the final stages) to pursuing a relationship with crew members; everything is mind bending. not for a single moment, you'll not fell thrilled. It's a must, must play game for any gamer.

I don't know when I'll play something like Mass Effect 2 in future - probably ever? Yeah, this is simply THAT MUCH good!!
  56. Oct 7, 2014
    I emplore anybody to find a game of its kind that makes you care about the story or its characters more...one of the best pecies of art to grace any platform
  57. Oct 1, 2014
    For the most part, Mass Effect 2 improves on it's predecessor in every way, from the combat to the squad characters and production values, ME2 gives the player a customizable cinematic experience. The game has some small flaws, such as bugged quests and the mining mechanic which can become tedious, although it's a fun diversion the first few times. The enemy variety is a little lessFor the most part, Mass Effect 2 improves on it's predecessor in every way, from the combat to the squad characters and production values, ME2 gives the player a customizable cinematic experience. The game has some small flaws, such as bugged quests and the mining mechanic which can become tedious, although it's a fun diversion the first few times. The enemy variety is a little less diverse than ME1, but it fits with the narrative and the shift from un peacekeeper to corporate mercenary. The end game, while dramatic, can be frustrating as keeping your crew alive isn't overtly explained, although through trial and error given the proper precautions it can easily be done. Although it follows some sci-fi tropes, it feels fresh enough to warrant exploring its universe, and stands up just fine on its own. Expand
  58. Sep 21, 2014
    I've played Mass Effect I enough to say that the sequence isn't worth the grandiosity of its predecessor.

The sequence has its qualities and I really want to write a fair review here. The graphics are nice, the soundtrack its still good, the combat is more action based than the first, but the plot and the dialogues suffered a great loss. This first big let down is the plot and the

The sequence has its qualities and I really want to write a fair review here.

This first big let down is the plot and the sensation that the game is pretending that I can change things when, really, it's just a soap-opera that wants to deceive people to get their audience.

It just sucks. All the choices in the first game, the difficulties because of the *right* path, turned into ashes. It just doesn't matter. If you chose the "A" path, they put some different dialogues, if you chose the "B" path, they change a bit in one or two scenes to pretend that they aren't lazy to make something worth.

The game was a complete let down for me. Luckily, it didn't spoiled my experience on the first game, but I don't want to play mass effect II for some time. On other side, I'm going to play the first again, for the sixth time.
  59. Sep 21, 2014
    Great Game. Combat is fun. Mainstoryline is a bit lackluster, but the sidestories are on of the best I have ever enjoyed in a game. Memorable characters and a lot of character interaction. Choices matter sometimes (more than in dragon age, but less than in witcher 2) .Overall: 10/10
  60. Sep 9, 2014
    I only have one word: Masterpiece! There is no other way to describe this game.

I only have one word: Masterpiece! There is no other way to describe this game.

Especially, and I can't stress this enough, if you have been continuing from Mass Effect 1. If you haven't, you're missing out. Granted, there is the Genesis DLC which apparently lets you make all the important decisions from ME1, but you're still not going to get the full experience. You might get the knowledge of the storyline, but not the ambience. The essence of what makes Mass Effect what it is, the beginning of it all, is lost.

ME1 is by far not as detailed and "massive" as the second installment (also referring to the places you can visit, and mission diversity), but it's still a lot of fun and the amount of "aha" effects and experience of encountering all your former squad members again in ME2, after a few years have passed and things have changed, are one of the greatest experiences in computer gaming today.

Bioware also did a great job at carrying over your ME1 character's appearance. There are not many games where your character becomes that important. In the game itself, and to the gamer. You care about the reputation and notoriety you achieve. That hasn't really ever happened to me before in a game. Not on this level.

The atmosphere overall is excellent, the combat satisfying, since it turns out differently depending on which squad members you take along for the mission, there is a lot more emphasis on resources since they are required for researching new abilities, but it's a fun way to achieve this, and you can quickly do some resource grinding between missions. No longwinded MACO surveys that yield a few resources that really didn't seem to have much of any effect other than credits.

The new Normandy is much bigger, it has 4 separate decks and it's a nice motivation that parts of the ship unlock, the further you progress through the storyline. It's worth seeing. You're not going to get to drive the MACO as far as I've seen, but a DLC offers a hover vehicle which you can control in a set of missions.

The voice acting and animations are top notch, and especially Miranda's character was also modelled after the actress who lent her voice (Yvonne Strahovski). This was done so well, that I recognized the actress in the CG character. Great job Bioware! There are also a number of other, well known actors involved, all of them reprising their roles from ME1 (incl. Lance Henriksen & Seth Green), which provides great continuity. Names include Carrie-Anne Moss (Matrix), Adam Baldwin (Chuck, Firefly, X-Files etc.), Michael Dorn, Armin Shimerman, Dwight Schultz (all in Star Trek among others), Claudia Black (Stargate, Farscape) and Martin Sheen (Apocalypse Now, Wall Street) -- [movies/shows quoted from memory, I realize all of these guys have done much more]!

If you ever watched a great science-fiction action-adventure movie and wished you could be part of it, this is your chance. In Mass Effect you can be. Stop reading, and go protect the galaxy! Do it now!
  61. Sep 5, 2014
    One of the very few games that I beat in one sitting. One of the few games that I was sad because of the Characters that died. One of the few games that I really enjoyed. It was the high point of the series. Mass Effect was Ok. held back by bad graphics and gameplay. Mass Effect 3 was trying to appeal to a huge audience. Mass Effect was just perfect, no doubt about it. Its ended up on manyOne of the very few games that I beat in one sitting. One of the few games that I was sad because of the Characters that died. One of the few games that I really enjoyed. It was the high point of the series. Mass Effect was Ok. held back by bad graphics and gameplay. Mass Effect 3 was trying to appeal to a huge audience. Mass Effect was just perfect, no doubt about it. Its ended up on many peoples "Best Games Ever" lists, and im no exception Expand
  62. Aug 29, 2014
    EA surprised me with this game. Normally EA doesn't do so well with gaming, but this! EA and BioWare really did a good job on improving this franchise. Let's start from the top: A near-perfect beginning, that got my heart racing and immersing me into the story (I'm not gonna spoil it). The rest of the story is near perfect, giving more room than all other games for what you want yourEA surprised me with this game. Normally EA doesn't do so well with gaming, but this! EA and BioWare really did a good job on improving this franchise. Let's start from the top: A near-perfect beginning, that got my heart racing and immersing me into the story (I'm not gonna spoil it). The rest of the story is near perfect, giving more room than all other games for what you want your character and your squad to be. Example: You can have your character be a warm-hearted kind guy who does stuff for the people, or the epic badass who always trusts the bad way of doing things. You can have your squad master this power or that, or have an even balance between things. The combat is the best I've seen ever, and makes Mass Effect 1's combat seem poorly done (ME1's combat is great, btw). And powers are greatly improved, as well- cool-down reduction, great looking, and very useful (especially for biotics). Infinite ammo is removed, which really removes a lot of stress (overheating weapons in ME1 is a pain in the @**). All in all, I think this game's a genius's work. Credits to EA and BioWare! Expand
  63. Aug 24, 2014
    There is nothing bad I can say about this game. It pretty much single-handedly got me back into sci-fi in a big way. Great characters, great plot, massive worlds and seemingly endless scope for exploration. This thing sucked me in like few games do and I couldn't get enough of it. One of the truly great games on PS3 that's for sure.
  64. Aug 8, 2014
    The controls....all the details....the storytelling....THE CHARACTERS! Mass Effect 2 improved a lot on Mass Effect's flaws, but kept all the lovely characters and details in storytelling the same. Mass Effect 2 was thrilling all the way to the end, nothing of it felt tedious and boring. I would always recommend this game to anyone.
  65. Jul 30, 2014
    Frustrating on some parts but with an awesome lore. It should please pro gamers as well as those who play for the story because everything you do (or don't do) affects on the final result. Casual gamers, stay away from this, it's a masterpiece but with some flaws like the lack of mission markers for sidequest (ehemZeldaSyndromeehem) or the dificulty spikes. Even there are some dificultyFrustrating on some parts but with an awesome lore. It should please pro gamers as well as those who play for the story because everything you do (or don't do) affects on the final result. Casual gamers, stay away from this, it's a masterpiece but with some flaws like the lack of mission markers for sidequest (ehemZeldaSyndromeehem) or the dificulty spikes. Even there are some dificulty holes that demando no skill from the player whatsoever. Like a Picasso painting with some wine stains. Expand
  66. Jul 29, 2014
    I was excited to try play ME2 for my first time after playing ME1 which as I remember left me with good feeling and an interesting story I uncovered and was left wondering how it should unfold in later ME series. I don't remember the exact year when I tried ME2 first time nor do I remember my first impression of that game. But it should have been not long after its release on PC. I don'tI was excited to try play ME2 for my first time after playing ME1 which as I remember left me with good feeling and an interesting story I uncovered and was left wondering how it should unfold in later ME series. I don't remember the exact year when I tried ME2 first time nor do I remember my first impression of that game. But it should have been not long after its release on PC. I don't remember much from that time, but I know that I didn't finish the game that time. So I remember trying to play it for second time after some time, again failing to finish. Only that time I got bored of doing side quests, while building up my team, so I lost the main story line. And now in 2014 year summer I heard that ME 4 is coming up so I said to myself: "I Need to finish ME2, in order to try ME3 and I could try ME4 after it launches". So I started again journey to ME2 universe. I had the time I pushed myself harder and further to the story to other side quests, I even lower difficulty because fights took way too long in order to progress in story. And still I failed, lost interest, I understood that ME2 has an interesting story, interesting characters, locations but fights are boring and tedious, game play is very linear. I could say that its like interactive movie. You are annoyed by boring fights but are attracted by interactive cut scenes and big interesting story.

From FPS game I wanted more player movement freedom
    From RPG game I wanted more character development, more inventory management, items.
    From TBS game I wanted more deeper strategy, resource management
  67. Jul 7, 2014
    Extremely good game like many said before. Brilliant storytelling, fluid gameplay, excellent graphics, music and sound. My only problems: lot of overpriced DLCs, after the first game's crew I felt a bit let down, because I found only a handful of sympathic "companion" characters (Grunt, Garrus, Mordin). The mining was horrible and I felt bored while doing most of the side mission (withExtremely good game like many said before. Brilliant storytelling, fluid gameplay, excellent graphics, music and sound. My only problems: lot of overpriced DLCs, after the first game's crew I felt a bit let down, because I found only a handful of sympathic "companion" characters (Grunt, Garrus, Mordin). The mining was horrible and I felt bored while doing most of the side mission (with notable exceptions). There were some balance issues between the classes as for example with a simple soldier I had a MUCH easier gameplay on insane than with my first playthrough (default) adept due to the mechanics for the powers. Still, one of the best game! Expand
  68. Jul 6, 2014
    This is my favorite game ever the story was hands down the best it had a huge improvement from the first game like NO **** ATV (it annoyed the hell out of me) and I do like the clips instead of unlimited (it was so overpowered) the characters are just bad-ass and you also get to see the characters from the first game and fight with some of them again the gameplay is just fun (u finallyThis is my favorite game ever the story was hands down the best it had a huge improvement from the first game like NO **** ATV (it annoyed the hell out of me) and I do like the clips instead of unlimited (it was so overpowered) the characters are just bad-ass and you also get to see the characters from the first game and fight with some of them again the gameplay is just fun (u finally get to slide over things). I have played over 200 hours on this game doing ever choice every class every ending. Overall amazing game I highly recommend getting this game. Expand
  69. Jul 4, 2014
    ITS MORE THAN A GAME........this is my first MASS EFFECT game,i have'nt played the previous part..Usually i love playing 3rd person shooter games but not found of playing science-fiction games... But i really loved this game..good graphics as its a 2010 game,also gameplay,storyline are all excellent...the characters are also great including commander shepard and miranda is damm hot andITS MORE THAN A GAME........this is my first MASS EFFECT game,i have'nt played the previous part..Usually i love playing 3rd person shooter games but not found of playing science-fiction games... But i really loved this game..good graphics as its a 2010 game,also gameplay,storyline are all excellent...the characters are also great including commander shepard and miranda is damm hot and sexyy ;)... now i playing mass effect 2 and will play mass effect 3 for sure...i became a big fan of MASS EFFECT :) Expand
  70. Jun 27, 2014
    Maybe it's just me, maybe I'm more for Sword & Sorcery than Space Odyssey, but I found this game somewhat boring and repetitive. The story did nothing for me. Oh, Bioware made good efforts with characters and dialogue, but the whole thing felt uninspired. The graphics also felt flat, though I suppose that fits with the whole 'streamlined' space/science thing.

It's playable but I find

It's playable but I find myself wanting to jump to the end without finishing the companion quests just to finish it off already.

Buggy too. I find myself repeatedly resetting to the last save due to getting stuck in midair. I'll round a corner in a city and find myself halfway in the wall with no way to get out. I'll be walking up and down a stairs guardrail, trapped. I'll be floating above a rock just off the path, unable to walk off. You get the point. It happens often enough to be annoying, especially when you haven't saved in a bit.

The mining for ore bit on endless planets gets really old. If I hear the sound of probe deployment one more time...ugh. The memory match game for circuitry bypass on doors and datapads is VERY old. I wish there was an ingame reward for bypassing the tedium.

Bioware's character image sliders are very limited, both DAs had much more depth and detail. And the prospect of alien 'woohoo' is cringe-worthy over lol so I skipped that bit.

No mods to speak of which is a terrible thing.

Even so, I suppose
  71. Jun 26, 2014
    Sequels are always a scary thing. Mass Effect 2 came out and a lot of stuff that I found accessible enough from 1 was simplified. Sure, I didn't particularly enjoy driving around on a planet for 10 minutes, but would have preferred that over probing. Each game was better in its own way. I liked the wider range of well, everything you could do in 1, but enjoyed the story and characters moreSequels are always a scary thing. Mass Effect 2 came out and a lot of stuff that I found accessible enough from 1 was simplified. Sure, I didn't particularly enjoy driving around on a planet for 10 minutes, but would have preferred that over probing. Each game was better in its own way. I liked the wider range of well, everything you could do in 1, but enjoyed the story and characters more in 2. I like to think the thought of reapers made everyone get better training and stop being as clunky, but that's just me. Expand
  72. sft
    Jun 15, 2014
    Very nearly the full kilo

Very nearly the full kilo

I enjoyed Mass Effect 1 but was only able to give it 3/5 due to some pretty annoying flaws. I’m glad to say that most of those flaws have been eradicated in ME2. Gone are the endless slow elevator rides. Gone are the tedious, bouncy buggy rides on dull, lifeless planets. And gone is the ridiculously complex HUD. What hasn’t changed are its strong points, which remain in the storyline and RPG elements. Once again there is a detailed and compelling story along with many side plots and missions, which are more diverse and creative than those in ME1. The voice acting is excellent throughout as are the character models and animations, which are fluid and naturalistic. Graphically it’s very good for a four-year-old game, although there’s little in the way of physics, which is a shame. The combat has also improved, although it remains rather clunky and lacklustre compared to other games. The Mass Effect franchise is clearly about providing a rich and developed universe in which to place the player and to give that player a full-bodied RPG experience peppered with combat and action along the way. And in this respect ME2 really delivers. If not for the so-so combat I would have given it 5/5.
  73. Jun 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game. A game where choices actually matter, and the galaxy is epic and brilliant. This game is only held back by its lack of true side/optional missions, boring scanning for minerals, and an ending that really doesnt matter what your choices were, all you have to do is follow a flow chart Expand
  74. Jun 1, 2014
    By far my favorite game. Fantastic storyline, character development, and gameplay. You get to choose your class as well as everything you say in the game.... pretty amazing piece of art. Good job fellaz.
  75. May 20, 2014
    Cons:
    EA published, less RPG feel compared to the first one.

Pros:
    Great characters, great story, nice decision system, fun gameplay, immersive atmosphere, great sci-fi universe, politically charged & nice classes to choose from.
  76. Apr 29, 2014
    ===========
    This is exactly what Mass Effect was destined to become. Story, pacing, visuals are top notch sci-fi material but gameplay wise it's just boring: kill this, kill that.
  77. Apr 12, 2014
    I love this game. I love it so much, you can sink in it's own world so easily, the world of ME2 feels so alive, everyone reacts to the things you do, it's a feeling of a world being alive I had in Fallout 3 the last time, and it's (besides Bully which is an amazing game too) the only game I had such a feeling in. (Wow, this sounds kinda stoned.) I can JUST recommend it. It may be that II love this game. I love it so much, you can sink in it's own world so easily, the world of ME2 feels so alive, everyone reacts to the things you do, it's a feeling of a world being alive I had in Fallout 3 the last time, and it's (besides Bully which is an amazing game too) the only game I had such a feeling in. (Wow, this sounds kinda stoned.) I can JUST recommend it. It may be that I like the game so much, just because I didn't expect much, to be honest, when I bought it I didn't even wanna install it. Then I watched like 2 Reviews of it and started playing it. But still, you should really get it.

I REALLY don't know how anyone could give this game anything under 80.
  78. Apr 1, 2014
    Loooooved the story,emotion is this game fuel.You feel responsable for every word,act,charachter and universe.Great job.My top 10 of all times is here.
  79. Mar 30, 2014
    True sequel to the first masterpiece,again great story,improved gameplay elements.(only backfire is the new weapon and skill system in my opinion,but its easy to overlook that).
    And what catched me is,that how the game feedbacks on your imported savegame,you backstory.
    PLAY THE FIRST GAME FIRST!!!!! MUST HAVE FOR EVERYONE. Looking foward for the third one which i will start next week.
    PLAY THE FIRST GAME FIRST!!!!!
    MUST HAVE FOR EVERYONE.
    Looking foward for the third one which i will start next week.
    And so far,the best optimized game i've seen.It runs so well on my old P4 that im amazed.

[spoiler] it is really satisfying to hear how are the rachni(just save them :D),to meet old friends,to get **** up by krogans.:D
    To look at the universe,and see what you made with your choices.(council or TV report from ME1.)
  80. Mar 22, 2014
    I really did enjoy playing this game, and i played it when all three were released ,so i played this knowing i would buy the third game. And whats weird is that because I've now played Mass effect 3, my opinion of the second one has decreased. Why is that....let me tell you

Mass effect 2 is basically you going around the galaxy in a ship to recruit the best team in the galaxy to stop the bad guys. To do this you need to act like some kind of psychologist and sort out everyone's problems. Now i played lots of side quests so for me i spent 23 hours zipping around helping everyone out. when the time came to face the bad guys the game took me 1 hour to complete. I wasn't so bothered by this because i thought that the third one will pick up where i left off....but it never.

So while i enjoyed playing the game looking back i feel like i wasted so much time on a game that bears little fruit.

(see my Mass effect 3 review)

Overall the game was good, and i really did enjoy it but, and i hate to day this, but the game is kinda pointless.
  81. Mar 16, 2014
    they wont add gamepad support because they dont care about consumers. This would have been a good game to i think but mouse and keyboard do not work with my 3d hdtv and couch
  82. Mar 6, 2014
    This game was my first in the Mass Effect series. Unfortunately I discovered the series way after it was popular. So at first I didn't know what the hub bub was about. If your new to the series at first it just seems a little flat. It seemed it was more about graphics and such. And the series seemed to be a more modern and not Star Wars universe rip off of KOTOR.

After you get playing

After you get playing you see what the series is about. It has a lot going for it. First it is a first person shooter for the average Joe. Then they throw in coordinated squad combat. They up the anti by giving you a character that can allow you to chose good or bad actions, as you choose without ruining the storyline. They wisely have you playing the title character but allow you to customize your story and looks. They also have you choose a class, but allow you to chose the way your character levels up. Which can greatly alter your game experience when you choose to replay the game.

Then they allow you to upgrade weapons, your ship and even choose how your squad mates level up. You can even just let your squad mates help you in fights or command them who to attack. But to make the game better they add mini games. Which just adds an entire new level of enjoyment to the game.

But the big draw is probably story. The game has a story line for you. You make choices that can affect the way your companions see you. And may subtly affect other aspects of the story. On top of that story you get other stories very much like the KOTOR series does.

In the end the game seems to take the best of the KOTOR series and change it up enough so that you have similarly great aspects. But with enough changes to make the system seem fresh and exciting.

Because you can choose to go in so many directions the game has great replay value. Certainly a game worth owning. And probably should be in any RPG fan's collection.
  83. Feb 24, 2014
    I've always loved Mass Effect 1 when it was first out on 360, i just loved, the storytelling,combat everything and i just thought Mass Effect 2 (before it cam out) was just the same as Mass Effect 1, like it cant be improved, (BETTER), but Mass Effect 2 came out and i played it and it blew me away it was better, but still like mass effect 1 and always will, but mass effect 2 just blew meI've always loved Mass Effect 1 when it was first out on 360, i just loved, the storytelling,combat everything and i just thought Mass Effect 2 (before it cam out) was just the same as Mass Effect 1, like it cant be improved, (BETTER), but Mass Effect 2 came out and i played it and it blew me away it was better, but still like mass effect 1 and always will, but mass effect 2 just blew me away it was mind blowing full of awesomeness, great game YOU HAVE TO BUY IT!!!!!! Expand
  84. Feb 5, 2014
    a clear improvement over the original. improved graphics and gameplay, along with an even better story than the first. your character personality can be changed once again based on your actions. the ending is influenced by how loyal your squad members are to you which happens during loyalty missions, and in some cases, dialogue choices. the gameplay itself has been greatly improved and nowa clear improvement over the original. improved graphics and gameplay, along with an even better story than the first. your character personality can be changed once again based on your actions. the ending is influenced by how loyal your squad members are to you which happens during loyalty missions, and in some cases, dialogue choices. the gameplay itself has been greatly improved and now has special actions that take place during some cutscenes, somewhat like qte's. left clicking is a renegade action, and right clicking is a paragon action. there's a larger variety of guns and powers now, although no gun mods which is a little disappointing. the voice acting has improved a bit, and the characters are more interesting now, which is also nice. the only problems are that there are still glitches, mainly getting stuck on pieces of scenery and having to wait to die or restarting the mission or last save. Expand
  85. Jan 30, 2014
    Not sure why this game gets showered with praise. On top of the ho-hum gameplay, there is a confusing story packed with filler characters that have no meaning. I didn't give a crap about half of my "team." The start of the game is evolution of your character and the decisions you get to make that transform you. That aspect of the game is very well done. The missions themselves are allNot sure why this game gets showered with praise. On top of the ho-hum gameplay, there is a confusing story packed with filler characters that have no meaning. I didn't give a crap about half of my "team." The start of the game is evolution of your character and the decisions you get to make that transform you. That aspect of the game is very well done. The missions themselves are all basically the same: Go here, kill a bunch of bad guys, interact with this thing at the end, leave, start over again. I'll give the game the benefit of the doubt, though, since I never played it when it was originally released. I wish it was more of a fully fleshed-out game than it is. Oh well, slightly disappointed. Expand
  86. Jan 19, 2014
    Most things that got potential in the first game were completly removed, but the game works better as a TPS than as a tactical RPG. I am a little dissapointed because the story is weaker and some opportunities were missed, by it has a better gameplay with combat that actually works.
  87. Jan 17, 2014
    An excellent story and dialogue/cinematics to go with sub-par combat, way too basic of an inventory system and the removal of most RPG elements that the first game had. Overall the game is good for 1 playthrough due so you get the story.

The Good: - Excellent story and dialogue (although sometimes pretty monotonous) - Best missions of the series - Best Citidel (main hub for stores

The Good:
    - Excellent story and dialogue (although sometimes pretty monotonous)
    - Best missions of the series
    - Best Citidel (main hub for stores and non-combat things) of the series

The Bad:
    - Least interesting and most basic combat of the series; lacking in weapon choices and customisation, abilities don't seem to have much of an effect most of the time. Not to mention the crappy shotgun with 20 rounds total
    - Lack of almost all the RPG elements that made the first game fun and interesting including the inventory system. If anything this game has less customisation than the first.
    - Bad GUI; clicking through the numerous menus can be a chore and lacks basic keyboard navigation such as ESC to go back or ENTER to accept.
  88. Jan 11, 2014
    The graphics are great, the story is great, the game-play is great and the soundtrack it great. Over all this is a very fun game and it should not be missed out on. This game is GREAT!!!
  89. Jan 10, 2014
    Mass Effect trilogy has been One of most polished Storytelling Action Graphics and Gameplay combined in one. Apart from the Final Ending Controversy in Mass Effect 3 This is one of the most played and loved RPGs adventures to date. I would have to say if new to series than Please Play in Sequence. Mass Effect 2 is probably the best of series. A game which will make you finish that next bitMass Effect trilogy has been One of most polished Storytelling Action Graphics and Gameplay combined in one. Apart from the Final Ending Controversy in Mass Effect 3 This is one of the most played and loved RPGs adventures to date. I would have to say if new to series than Please Play in Sequence. Mass Effect 2 is probably the best of series. A game which will make you finish that next bit of story everytime Expand
  90. Jan 2, 2014
    Mass Effect 2 has its problems, because it was developed mainly for consoles, which brought many disadvantages with it (linear levels, bad controls, horrible menus, removal of RPG elements) and PC players were left behind a bit.
    It's still Mass Effect at the core though and the story and characters are so fantastic that it easily makes up for that. As in the first game, the story is great. I think the secret of the Mass Effect series is mainly in the writing, because the dialogues just feel more believable than in other games and they nailed it again in ME2. Of course it helps that graphics, music and gameplay (with the above mentioned exceptions) are all outstanding.
  91. Jan 2, 2014
    I'm going to come out an say that Mass Effect 2 is overrated. Part of me wants to rate the game lower, but I can't, because the fact is that the game play is fantastic. The combat and level design was VASTLY improved over the first mass effect and made the game much more fun from that perspective.

Despite all the progress made in playability, ME2 takes a major step backward in terms of plot. The game starts off quickly, but could do without the Six Million Dollar Man storyline, which, apart from looking good on Shepard's resume, has almost no impact on the rest of the game OR the sequel. Instead, it's just a plot point used to justify enlisting you in a suspect organization the player cares nothing about, which sends you around the galaxy with a grocery list of dangerous criminals and trained killers that the player also cares nothing about (at first) that Shepard must tirelessly recruit in a series of missions which have little impact on the greater storyline at hand. All this is done while isolating the player from most of the characters that they cared about in the first Mass Effect.

Even still, all this could be used as a plot point, but isn't; the player has no way to express how they feel about the sudden changes from Mass Effect 1 through Shepard, as he/she appears largely indifferent about how the job gets done, so long as it gets done. I was frustrated with the storyline, but no one else appeared to be. The only exception to this is in the Shadow Broker DLC, where Shepard has an opportunity to open up to Liara (btw, this is one of many reasons you should absolutely get this dlc, which is better than the rest of the game, especially if you are pursing a relationship with Liara).

The whole game feels very punch-in, punch-out, until about halfway through when the loyalty quests begin, and the player has a chance to connect with their new squad members and play through some missions that are well thought out and engaging. So, in all fairness, the game does get better as it goes, but it's hard to get through the first 10-15 hours of it, which is a problem. The final mission is particularly wonderful and worth all the slogging. I think Joker says it best himself: Mass Effect 1 wasn't all sunshine and rainbows, but Mass Effect 2 is stuck in a weird place.
  92. Dec 31, 2013
    The whole experience in Mass Effect 2 feels like a high budget hollywoodian action film or as an Assassin's Creed game, specially wen compared with the first iteration, when Bioware obviously had more time to put things together and less expectation to deliver quality. This means that while some parts of it are truly brilliant and amazing, as the characters loyality mission- Tali comes toThe whole experience in Mass Effect 2 feels like a high budget hollywoodian action film or as an Assassin's Creed game, specially wen compared with the first iteration, when Bioware obviously had more time to put things together and less expectation to deliver quality. This means that while some parts of it are truly brilliant and amazing, as the characters loyality mission- Tali comes to mind- in others moment the game appears to be written by complete different people, with complete different ideas of how things should be done, and gosh, how these parts are bland, generic and dumb, feeling more like you are playing the singleplayer campaign of a generic shooter than a scifi rpg.
    And what is said in others reviews isn't exageration or extremism, the game is a hell of an example of why people despise DLCs, with whole parts of the main plot, relevant to the game and the lore- Lair of Shadow Broker for example- being made into DLC. If you don't buy DLCs, several rooms of your ship will be locked for you with no explanation; it's like they, Bioware/EA, want you, they require you to buy those expensive and sometimes silly DLCs in top of an already expensive game to full.
    Another aspect also mentioned in previous reviews is the diminishing rpg experience, it's like they heard some people complaining about the poor inventory management in ME1 and thought "why not cut this altogether? why not throw the inventory away?". This minimalism was behind every aspect of the development: they removed separated cooldowns for powers, they removed heating for weapons and added ammo, they removed free roaming/open spaces, the removed non-combat utility of tech, they removed planet exploration and they pretty much removed non-council races from any relevant plot in the universe.
    This means that (1) every space is a corridor and sometimes you can't even go back, every city you are exploring is disappointing and boring, and an awful lost potential, for example, imagine what could have been to walk and explore the Migrant Fleet, to see how the Quarians lived in this crowded and ever nomadic space... When you go to the Citadel you'll understand what I am saying; (2) playing as an enginner or adept is horrible, even your companions seem tailored for a soldier or vanguard class; (3) they could make the impossible, they made space exploration even more boring and repetitive, now you are left sending probes into planets like a robot, even worse now that discovering gasses and minerals is a necessity; and finally (4) they lost many chances of exploring non-coucil races, for example Ilium would fit perfectly as a volus world, but all you see in the game is an even narrower landscape that you saw in ME1.
    The story is told in a rail-road, forced fashion: you are supposed to believe unplausible things, to accept unidimensional characters such as Jacob (clearly created to cater to what EA believe is a black young audience) and Miranda (clearly a fanservice wankery), and to consider as villains beings who are never openly understood or expressed. Only mid-game things get interesting and by that point you already saw all Blade Runner, Star Wars, Asimov and general scifi inspiration that Bioware immersed itself to create the game. The ending doesn't answer any of ME1 open questions and doesn't even progress the plot, it's just action and action and action.
    All in all, like I said before, there are clearly amazing moments in ME2, such as the quarian zionist congress, I mean, the quarian audience and these parts were written by creative people. It's a game worth pirating.
  93. Dec 24, 2013
    A masterpiece. Second best game Bioware made, after with Baldurs Gate II in mine opinion. Original Mass Effect was one of the best RPGs ever made, but ME 2 is even better.
  94. Dec 20, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is definitely the best game in the series. Its story is overwhelming, the game-play fluid, and just the entire setup and everything, it's beautiful. The character development is extraordinary and seeing some old faces from Mass Effect 1 again was especially nice, though the new faces among the crew are also pretty fantastic. Each of them has their own story, the level ofMass Effect 2 is definitely the best game in the series. Its story is overwhelming, the game-play fluid, and just the entire setup and everything, it's beautiful. The character development is extraordinary and seeing some old faces from Mass Effect 1 again was especially nice, though the new faces among the crew are also pretty fantastic. Each of them has their own story, the level of interaction possible is great (except for 'I'm in the middle of some calibrations', ugh). The different classes have improved, just like many other things. The game offers plenty of side missions, which all add flavour to the already fantastic main storyline. Also: Garrus. Need I say more? Expand
  95. Nov 20, 2013
    Type of game that engrossed me from start to finish. The combination of writing and voice acting caused me to care greatly about the protagonist and my crew. Not quite as "save the worldy" as some RPGs, which was a nice change of pace. Choices felt like they built from the first game and mattered. The combat was also much more fluid and felt greatly improved from the first.

Rating

Rating this one slightly lower than the original even with the improvements. The story seemed to shift slightly, and there wasn't as much influence of the background lore. The RPG elements may have been clunky in the original, but they were mostly streamlined/stripped from the second. Did not feel like the character progressed much in strength outside of weapons.
  96. Nov 11, 2013
    Mass Effect 2 is a modern day RPG masterpiece. From the story to the music, everything is pretty much near perfect. This is a must play for any RPG fan. ME2's development started right after EA acquired Bioware, but had a mostly hands off approach to the game.

ME1's main flaw was it's battle system. It was lackluster and needed improvement. Bioware decided to take the risk and incorporate a "real" FPS system in ME2. Well, that risk payed off bigtime in one of the best blockbuster RPG's of our time.

Other traditional RPG elements such as inventory management are eliminated helping to streamline your experiences. And you know what? It works, it fits. It helps you focus on more important, and more enjoyable things in the game. Having a simple upgrade system works much better.

ME2 takes the game to all new levels. A deeper, more interesting battle system. The character interactions are excellent. The development, the actions you take, the choices you make really do affect the outcome of this story.

As in Classic Star Wars fashion, the second movie raises the stakes even higher, is darker and more serious than ever. The real possibility of your teammates dying in the final, suicide mission was a brilliant move by Bioware. The game climaxes at the best point the end where you see all your work, all of your choices unfold, leaving some to the next and final part of the trilogy. The raise in tension is felt throughout the game, and drives the player forward.

The soundtrack is excellent and accurately reflects such high stakes.

ME2 really surpassed the bar for RPG's. It had me glued to the game. When I am glued to a game playing it every day from start to finish, I know its a hit.

Its just such a shame that it's sequel, ME3 was unfortunately a lackluster, rushed finish and a real letdown. Obviously, EA had involved themselves in the final game, which really screwed up ME3.

Most gamers will recognize ME2 as the real climax of the series and the best out of the 3.

97. Nov 7, 2013
    Without a doubt the best series i've ever come to play! So much replay value! Its insane and I can't describe it enough. THIS IS A MUST BUY AND PLAY EXPERIENCE. Trust me on this!

Pros:
    Just... wow (useless pros. I know :v)
    Story and characters are so well done!

Cons:
    Combat can get a little linear
    No coop
  98. Nov 1, 2013
    I won't play a game that hasn't sufficiently grabbed my attention. The entire ME series downright stole my attention and warped that way I look at all other games. It's smart, genre-bending, exciting and addictive. I haven't found a game that satisfies as much as ME and I suspect I never will again.
    It means the world to me that the main character doesn't have to be the typical white male. Sheperd is me down to the way she looks and the decisions she makes. The ancillary characters are superb with personalities and singular intentions. I love that I get to chose who to befriend and how much.
    When I finished the ME series, I actually felt pangs of sadness, because I missed the friends I'd made along the way. I missed the fight and missions. So I played again and reshaped the story to go in a different direction. Replay value is through the roof! ME is literally the best game I have ever played.
  99. Oct 27, 2013
    A gem of a game, engaging story with fun, sometimes tricky combat situations and also a surprisingly re-playable game where actions, sometimes silly and insignificant have followed you through the story [more game if you kept a save game from the first game]. Love it, Thank you Bioware.

Gab
    LoyalistN7
  100. Efa
    Oct 24, 2013
    It might not be a straight up RPG, but the characters, the action, and the players ability to influence the games progression and ending make this my favorite game ever. A must play!

1. Mass Effect 2 resumes with pride the path opened by the first game. This sequel is a lesson of how things should be made.
  2. Mass Effect 2 delivers a story that's deeper than what many novelists are capable of, and its action is better than what most Hollywood directors are creating nowadays. It's an addictive, engrossing experience that many gamers will replay over and over while they hold their breath waiting for the third game.
  3. A brilliant mix of shooter and role-playing, filled with great characters, excellent design, lots of action and clever dialogue. It's a shame though that Bioware did not improve the inventory and skill system of the first game, but actually reduced it even more. I really wished there were more customization options, more ways to develop and gear up my characters. But all these are merely small points of criticism, since there is so much to feel and experience in this game. Mass Effect 2 is a thrilling, emotional ride and ultimately every bit as good as its predecessor.