6.3

1. Jul 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So lets see: 150-200 hours of gameplay, a whole universe built up, ~150 euros spent for promises of "your decisions will affect the end, etc. Then we got (for the 2nd try...) plus max.10 minutes of gameplay (talking), 4-5 mins of videos and a slideshow made of average concept art... And the old man tale-teller stuff is still there... And many reviewers gave this 5+...I still feel cheated, as before, nothing IMPORTANT was explained (was hoping for indoctrination theory as a last chance). For me Mass Effect series ended in London. I don Expand
  2. Jan 28, 2013
    BioWare's hubris knows no limits - this should have been on the game disc at release. I still feel embarrassed for them, as it is doubtful they could have foreseen the utter crap storm that would surround their highest regarded IP. The Extended Cut attempts to rectify numerous problems and adds a proper (varied) ending (kind of) and I'm grateful for the closure but the EC shares many of the same problems of the full game (bad writing, errors, makes no sense). You cannot polish a turd. RIP, Mass Effect. Expand
  3. Jun 28, 2012
    The DLC will get a reaction out of people no doubt. For me it repaired some of the damage cause by the horrific endings. The DLC cleaned up some plot-holes and ret-conned some stuff and in the end it was a half-assed try to convince the consumer that Bioware still know what they're doing. The ending of Mass Effect 3 got slightly better but it's still not worthy of putting an end to a trilogy loved by so many Expand
  4. Jun 28, 2012
    The extended cut doesn't deserve to be fully reviewed. It literally made the horrible ending of ME3 WORSE. If I ever run into Casy Hudson or Mac Walters on the street I will hurl rotten eggs at them. 2gigabytes of download and almost 80% of it is locked content for future dlc purchase. Congratulations on killing your own franchise Bioware.
  5. Jun 28, 2012
    It does try to save, or salvage the ending and tries its best, but completely fixing the ending is simply impossible: that will require a full overhaul and at least some parts will have conflict with the ME3 game. So unfortunately after their best effort, ME3's ending is still mediocre, as reflected in this score.

My recommendations:
    1) if you have ME3 and are still playing it, why
    not? It's free anyways. They didn't make it worse;
    2) However, they didn't make it good enough for me to actively recommend those who have left ME3 and are unsure of whether or not they should play to pick up ME3 againl
    3) I also would not actively recommend others to buy ME3 now, but if you want it, now I'd say go for it. I won't oppose it like before EC came out.
    4) I still would not recommend pre-ordering Bioware products in the future, no matter the pre-order bonuses. Wait until both critic and user scores are out.
  6. Feb 11, 2013
    Well people with some common sense and intelligence know that the original ending was very badly done. Extended cut did not really made the game's ending any better, only "sugar coated" it to some extent. It might please the masses, but it will never please Me and those who like quality gaming/storytelling. What we have is a cheap slides-how with some pictures and text explaining what happened after the ending. Amateurish at best.... Expand
  7. Jun 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Extended Cut delivered what should have been from launch of the game, an actual endings. Even then it's far from being great, but it gives a satisfying conclusion for the most part. Squadmates leaving Shepard is now properly explained and it gives sobbing moments, especially with love interest. Catalyst get's now better explanation. Instead of a brat that you want dead for it's stupidly, now is a flawed design with flawed "solution" of it's creators to deal with wars with synthetics that blew into their faces. And endings are now explained before choosing them as well by Shepard asking questions, so you know what you're dealing with and there's a new Reject ending where Shepard can reject all 3 choices, but ultimately he/she get's killed by a Reapers and cycle is completed with Liara's capsule giving warnings to next species( yagh, raloi). That ending is neat, cause it proves that Reapers can not be beaten conventionally so Crucible is needed. Though, Reject ending is one of the 2 endings that has no serious issue. Other is Control. In that ending, Shepard becomes an new Catalyst by sacrificing his/hers organic being. Then Shepard starts to lead, not control, Reapers to build and guard instead of destroy and kill. Narration of either Mark Meer or Jennifer Hale talking as Shepard Reaper makes it both incredibly sad, and somehow terrifying at same time. And unlike Reject ending, with Control you see what happens to Earth, krogans, quarians, geth, most of your former squadmates and remembering of all squadmates that died. Normandy still crashes, but it get's repaired and launches off planet. Before that, your crew meets at memorial wall with one of them( love interest) putting Commander Shepard on the wall, while Shepard narrates he/she will protect them. This ending is just beautiful, lot's of closure and leaves lot's of room for headcanons and fanfics. Then there is the Destroy ending. While it gives as much closure as Control and it's only one where Shepard can survive, it suffers from a fatal flaw. Geth and EDI will always die from incredibly contrived reason and it's absolutely unnecessary. Control ending already had many advantages to be pick, them dying was just a desperate cop-out move. And reason behind it is because it will kill all synthetics. That might make sense in low EMS ending were barely anyone survives. But in high EMS ending where even Shepard can live, despite depending on synthetics? Makes no damn sense. And then there's a Synthesis. Now, Destroy ending is bad but it's improved from original. Synthesis in other hand only got worse and Bioware just went way out of their way to make it the best one. While I could say all the problems, it's sole existence of that ending is a cancer to ME franchise. ME universe was always pushing that diversity is what makes us great( for example, Protheans failed for not being diverse), but this ending goes against it. It also goes against freedom of choice, since it forces everyone to become a borg. And it effects everyone and everything! Plants, bacterias and damn husks! That's ridiculous! But does the Extended Cut redeems the franchise and Bioware? Franchise? Yes. Bioware? No. Lies are still not forgiven. But I do highly recommend Extended Cut if you are a ME fan. But not everyone will be happy. Expand
  8. Jun 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. My first play-throughs of the game always left me with a sense of emptiness, that my Shepard just spent years and sacrificed everything for nothing. Now with the extended cut I feel satisfied. I also like the added stuff on the run to the beam (I suggest taking your LI with you). Bioware did what many games would not and listened and improved upon the dismal ending. It won't satisfy everyone but it did me.

Satisfaction is in the eye of the beholder.
  9. Jul 7, 2012
    Cleaned up and polished poo is still poo.
    The travesty of space magic remains and the added 4th ending is a giant middle finger to all who disliked the poo they were handed in the original ending.
    Not worth the download time.
  10. Jun 29, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The extended cut has left me pretty satisfied, although there were a few bits I wished they did. More narration on the slide shows, and on Shepard's companions - like how they did in Baldur's Gate 2. Although the slide shows do give you a good enough impression on certain situations/characters, they don't show all of them.

But quite honestly this is good enough for me. I said to a friend that after ME3's original ending, I was done with Bioware. I was very reluctant to load up the Extended Cut due to further disappointment, but luckily I was wrong. That said, I won't jump into a Bioware game blindly like I used to, but I won't shy away from them as I would have, if they did not release this extended cut.
    Kudos to the team for making me believe in your work again.
  11. Aug 29, 2012
    It was neccesary, it cleared all my doubts and made the endings make more sense.
    It repaired a lot of damage caused by the horrible endings but many things are still unexplained.
    However, now i don't feel empty anymore and i'm not that angry as i used to be.
    I think they delivered a fantastic content and its well worth playing it.
  12. Jul 1, 2012
    It's better than the original ending. To be fair I don't really like this either, but I think it wasn't possible to fix it completely, this is probably the best fix they could do.
  13. Jul 10, 2012
    The ending to ME3 is slightly better this way but most important of all it still makes you want to never play any of the games ever again. So this does not fix anything in the slightest. Maybe it's unrealistic for wanting the ending completely changed but that's what I feel would have been the only way to save the franchise.

A wasted effort.
  14. Jun 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The EC improves upon the old ending by clarifying what the Starkid is: he is now basically comprehensible. It sticks in a fanservicey love-interest ("I love you, too") farewell in an odd spot (doing so adds a couple more incongruous and plot-holey things to the action). It tacks on some expository epilogues with still images that explain the consequences of Shepard's choices-- some of which are better wrought and more satisfying than others. There is also a new, fourth ending that allows Shepard to reject Starkid completely, but which has an immediate consequence and reveals how Bioware feels about players who would choose it. One of the bigger things they accomplish by retconning themselves is rescuing ME1 and ME2 from the suicide that the old ending forced on it. It won't feel utterly futile to play them anymore. And that's good.

However, if the EC was the ending that we got months ago, it still would have been mostly reviled. It would have still been clear that it was kicked out the door because time ran out, and that it was confused because Bioware had built a plot so convoluted that it was impossible for them to get every last duck in a row when the time came. And the EC doesn't solve (and couldn't-- because Bioware cannot jettison Starbrat) the major issue of what you do in the game before the ending being mostly meaningless. Everything points towards, at the very least, seeing your war assets in action for the final battle (like in Fallout:NV); but we still don't really get that, although they did add some filler with cutscenes depicting various forces as a sop to anyone who might notice.

The EC is the best we could reasonably expect out of BiowEAr; and I think that, as a PR effort, it is basically successful. The fans who, post-March, still care about the series enough to whine will probably be placated and ready to buy more DLC and future ME titles. As a stand-alone thing designed to do a certain thing it is basically a success. But as a proper ending to the Mass Effect trilogy? The galaxy still deserves better.
  15. Jun 27, 2013
    ok after the ending of mass effect 3 comes this DLC to put things together and yes i liked it very much they set things together although not everything was explained but still i liked this ending so much better that the other ending
  16. Feb 17, 2013
    So, this was supposed to explain some things regarding the Mass Effect 3 ending. As it turns out, you are better off pretending there is no Extended Cut. It is simply better to keep the holes in the story, than to fill them with crap.
  17. Jul 11, 2012
    It's not perfect but at least it makes sense now. When Mass Effect 3 first came out I was disappointed as hell with how my favorite ended. This one sweetened the flavor a bit by clearing all the plot holes and idiotic ambiguity, and while not great, it's still a thousand times better than the original ending. And all that just by adding a couple more cutscenes and dialogue options. Which makes me wonder why Bioware didn't include this in the first place... Expand
  18. Jun 28, 2012

Satisfaction is in the eye of the beholder.

There are no critic reviews yet.