Mass Effect 3: Leviathan PC

6.6

1. Aug 29, 2012
    An average so-so expansion, stock shooting gallery parts with mild detective/problem solving portions similar to the ME2 DLCs like Overlord, though much smaller. Price tag a bit hefty considering the amount of content (I finished this in an hour and a half). As expected, the finality of the game's ending doesn't leave any DLC room to manoeuvre so at best you're getting a couple of hoursAn average so-so expansion, stock shooting gallery parts with mild detective/problem solving portions similar to the ME2 DLCs like Overlord, though much smaller. Price tag a bit hefty considering the amount of content (I finished this in an hour and a half). As expected, the finality of the game's ending doesn't leave any DLC room to manoeuvre so at best you're getting a couple of hours extra game time and a small revelation or two regarding the origins of the Reapers and the Catalyst AI. Expand
  2. Aug 29, 2012
    If you're still playing Mass Effect games for the story then you simply haven't learned your lesson. Mass Effect is all about the show now. It is nothing more than spectacle at this point. Keeping that in mind Leviathan is a short but enjoyable experience. Unfortunately it doesn't deliver enough gameplay value to justify its price tag.
  3. Aug 30, 2012
    Well, meh. DLC that answers one question that was obvious and one question that no one asked. Way too short for the price. And since you basically can only make one choice (which by now we know is ultimately irrelevant anyway) I don't see much gain in playing it because watching it on YouTube offers the same entertainment experience.
    It is not bad, but just ... meh.
  4. Aug 29, 2012
    "Ehhh." That's what I thought when I finished this. The investigation scenes are pretty fun, and I like how my companions are actually taking part in the mission, not like in Mass Effect 2, where they didn't say a word if it wasn't their personal mission. A lot of the scenery was great, too. The cutscenes and the plot were the weaker points of this DLC. A lot of the cutscenes are sloppy."Ehhh." That's what I thought when I finished this. The investigation scenes are pretty fun, and I like how my companions are actually taking part in the mission, not like in Mass Effect 2, where they didn't say a word if it wasn't their personal mission. A lot of the scenery was great, too. The cutscenes and the plot were the weaker points of this DLC. A lot of the cutscenes are sloppy. For example, there's a part where Shepard turns around and shoots a burst. Thing is, they only made the weapon firing for assault rifles, and my Shepard shot a burst with a sniper rifle. Aha. In another scene, one of my companion is shooting at an area where there are only 2 enemies, and they are attacking each other. The plot, while it seems fascinating, is riddled with plotholes, and contradicts the first Mass Effect several times. The DLC also doesn't interact with the ending as much as it should. I say if you can ignore the cutscenes' fault and the plot's mistakes, it's quite enjoyable. Expand
  5. Oct 12, 2012
    Boring and tedious. The plot could have fit in a thimble. I admit, the bogus hype got me. People were saying it was as good or better than Overlord and as good as the Shadow Broker. Uh, NO. Time spent in the lab "sleuthing" clues is laughable and the accompanying missions pretty insipid. I was really hoping the underwater portion with the diving mech would make up for all that but no.Boring and tedious. The plot could have fit in a thimble. I admit, the bogus hype got me. People were saying it was as good or better than Overlord and as good as the Shadow Broker. Uh, NO. Time spent in the lab "sleuthing" clues is laughable and the accompanying missions pretty insipid. I was really hoping the underwater portion with the diving mech would make up for all that but no. Pretty cool concept with a shallow implementation. So I get o sit in a sub and walk around underwater in a predefined path, nothing special here. Basically it comes down to a shooter with maybe a sentence's worth of plot. It's clear where Casey Hudson and EA are going with this franchise. Regret purchasing it for my PC, certainly won't purchase for my PS3 as well (which I will do for really good games/DLC). Ciao EA/BioWare. Expand
  6. Sep 5, 2012
    I play the game for the story so I was excited about this DLC, bought it the day it was released for PC and there are serious bugs with it, which is why I'm rating it a 5 instead of a 10, the overall story is great for the DLC and it actually tells me where the Reapers came from which is a very interesting entity in the Mass Effect universe obviously. There is just 0 quality control withI play the game for the story so I was excited about this DLC, bought it the day it was released for PC and there are serious bugs with it, which is why I'm rating it a 5 instead of a 10, the overall story is great for the DLC and it actually tells me where the Reapers came from which is a very interesting entity in the Mass Effect universe obviously. There is just 0 quality control with EA/BioWare anymore, there is a game breaking ladder glitch that you have to look up and shake the mouse violently to get to work, or using mods like noclipping it, which is unacceptable, hence why I'm giving it a 5 out of 10 Expand
  7. Aug 31, 2012
    This is a rather short DLC with little combat. It was basically just created to try and answer many of the questions about the reapers that were never answered, but it also raises even more questions and in some respects also contradicts the ending of Mass Effect 3. It is easy to notice that the writers are trying to fix the horrible ending that we had in Mass Effect 3, although theyThis is a rather short DLC with little combat. It was basically just created to try and answer many of the questions about the reapers that were never answered, but it also raises even more questions and in some respects also contradicts the ending of Mass Effect 3. It is easy to notice that the writers are trying to fix the horrible ending that we had in Mass Effect 3, although they obviously (and purposly) left many questions still unanswered... we will probably get little snippets of info over the next few DLCs. ^^

This DLC is not worth 10$ imo though, seeing that it raises just as many questions as it answers and is also rather short. The only interesting part of this DLC is the last 5 minutes anyway - The rest of the story in the DLC is just "filling" that is not very well written and as such does not even make much sense (the writers had trouble trying to write a path to Shepards destination). It would probably be better to wait until they finish all they DLCs and but them as a package at a reduced price.
  8. Apr 27, 2013
    Probably the weakest Mass Effect 3 DLC, a title it shares with the Omega DLC. Contains a lot of back story and promises a lot but doesn't really deliver when it matters and doesn't feel like it has any real impact on the rest of the story once it's over its own self contained story driven mission.
  9. Aug 29, 2012
    The Leviathan DLC is a bang for your 10 bucks. It gives a tight, engrossing mystery of a plot to unravel through a mixture of typical ME3 shooter gameplay and some neat new game mechanics (think LA Noire in space), a few new guns and mods, and a lasting impact on the universe of ME3. The quality and effort put into the DLC is evident through small touches such as new unique dialogue andThe Leviathan DLC is a bang for your 10 bucks. It gives a tight, engrossing mystery of a plot to unravel through a mixture of typical ME3 shooter gameplay and some neat new game mechanics (think LA Noire in space), a few new guns and mods, and a lasting impact on the universe of ME3. The quality and effort put into the DLC is evident through small touches such as new unique dialogue and interaction with each squadmate/love interest (something I always thought was missing from previous DLC's) and in the level of detail put into each new environment you explore. The shooting and standard Reaper killing will feel overly familiar at times, but the focus of the DLC is the story and the new game mechanics it experiments with. And the story? Its a reeeeally good one and I won't spoil a moment of it because it needs to be played. Lets just say, it feels like the first step into something grander, while giving a ton of fascinating backstory to the Reapers.
    Which brings me to the elephant in the room; how the DLC affects the much maligned ending of the game, if at all. No, Leviathan is not a major reworking of the games ending as some fans are holding out for. Yes, it adds new layers and dephs to the Reapers and to the final decisions you make. And reportedly, this DLC results in new content and dialogue at the end of the game. If you are absolutely determined to not accept or try to understand Biowares ending to the ME universe and allow this to color your enjoyment of the series on a whole, this DLC will do nothing for you. If however you are interested in enriching and deepening your Mass Effect universe while enjoying some new in game missions along side your squadmates, Leviathan is a great piece of content for the price its at. Its implications, story wise, should not be ignored. And if you are losing faith in Bioware as a company of story tellers as I am, this DLC just may be the first step to them winning you back.

1. PC Master (Greece)
    Feb 6, 2013
    Three hours of important revelations (lore-wise) this is a powerful, robust DLC pack. [November 2012]
  2. Dec 11, 2012
    There's nothing here that casual fans will feel they have to see, but for those still looking for deeper insight into this world, or simply looking for more Mass Effect, this is another few hours of solid entertainment.
  3. Oct 9, 2012
    Leviathan is the equivalent to the Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC for ME2. It has no ambition to transform the game series, it just wants to be joyful Mass Effect 3 gameplay experience. Do not expect any revolution or story revelation, and you will be satisfied.