Mass Effect 3 PC

5.7

1. Mar 13, 2012
    Gameplay is ok and fun, even if nothing really changed since 2. There are 3 groups of enemies which is all you ever fight, and they get repetitive fast.The biggest issue is that the resolution of the story is the worst let-down. For people who liked the Mass Effect series as an PRG, or simply for its story, this is such a let-down that it spoils the entire series. The ending is poorlyGameplay is ok and fun, even if nothing really changed since 2. There are 3 groups of enemies which is all you ever fight, and they get repetitive fast.The biggest issue is that the resolution of the story is the worst let-down. For people who liked the Mass Effect series as an PRG, or simply for its story, this is such a let-down that it spoils the entire series. The ending is poorly implemented - plot holes, people appear in places they aren't, one person suddenly has powers that make no sense and are never explained - but the most frustrating thing is that for a series defined by making choices, there is essentially only one ending, meaning the choices made along several games are in the end almost completely irrelevant. That has spoiled the whole thing for me, and I haven't touched the game since. I would not recommend the game due to the dissapointing conclusion. Expand
  2. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I haven't played through to the very end yet, but I'm close. Like heading after the reapers close... And I'm not sure I want to see what happens.

I had high hopes for this game. They confirmed we were getting Liara back, our old friends would be making appearances, and everything would get some closure. Instead, we got a sort of mish-mash of short stories with the occasional ParaRene choice to make us feel like we had an impact. Right. I regret going strictly Paragon now because in the end, it didn't make a difference.

There are no side quests (every quest ties into the main quest whether it is priority or not. Given the circumstances I understand, but they could have done soooo much more with an apocalyptic epic like this *could* have been). I was expecting Fallout 3NV levels of exploration on some of the planets, you know, saving refugees, rescuing civilians, taking down the occasional reaper... The closest thing we got was hopping from Cerberus base to Cerberus base, watching a thresher maw eat a machine, and try to slowly roll out of the way of a laser.

But, there is no exploration. At all. None. I scanned every planet in every cluster and they even dumbed that down to an obscene amount.

Stories that we BEGGED them to continue (or start) they barely even acknowledged (Samara anyone? Joker? Other past romances that stop in their tracks? Inequality between Manshep's level of choices and Femshep's? They can give him two homosexual options but unless you saved Kaidan, Femshep gets no heterosexual ones? It doesn't make sense.)

Overall, I see why they delayed the release. This could not have competed with Skyrim for GoTY. It's too short a game, even on 'normal' mode, and I found myself looking at the quest log at one point and realizing that I finished twenty or so of them just from my lackluster one probe sweep per planet and asteroids-style Reaper avoidance. Truly epic entertainment....

Honestly, it's a decent game as far as your "rally your allies and fight the evil overlord" sort of piece goes, but it's not what I was expecting from the Mass Effect finale. This is something I would have expected over on FanFiction.net.

And that's my only consolation - we writers will be able to weave our own tales now that it's over. Shame they didn't give us much to work with.

I'm looking forward to the next BioWare title, but I don't think that ME3 is going to get the amount replays that the first two did.
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    I really don't know what went wrong but those endings and their consequences must be the biggest letdown i've ever experienced in gaming history. The game (without the 10 mins in the ending) deserves a 9/10 but the ending is so horribly full of plot-holes and unansweread questions that I am left speechless.
    In a game where the story and it's characters are the main reason for buying it, how can you end it like this?
  4. Mar 18, 2012
    An amazing series, and for the most part a great game. But the ending is so unbelievably poor that it ruins the ENTIRE SERIES. It's like the rest of the game they spent years working on, and the ending they put together in 5 minutes. Seriously, it will destroy your appreciation for the franchise.
  5. Mar 19, 2012
    Until about the last 15 minutes of ME3, it wasn't just a 10 - it was a 100. But the last 15 minutes are so awful that if I could give the game a negative score, I would. It completely invalidates everything you worked so hard to accomplish not only in this game, but in ME1 and 2 as well. I have zero desire to play any of the ME games ever again as there is no point. Nothing you do, theUntil about the last 15 minutes of ME3, it wasn't just a 10 - it was a 100. But the last 15 minutes are so awful that if I could give the game a negative score, I would. It completely invalidates everything you worked so hard to accomplish not only in this game, but in ME1 and 2 as well. I have zero desire to play any of the ME games ever again as there is no point. Nothing you do, the choices you make, or the relationships you build make any difference whatsoever in the outcome of ME3. The entire series now might as well never existed to begin with! AGH! Expand
  6. Mar 14, 2012
    The game was OK, There was some interesting story decisions to make and the action was pretty nice. multiplayer is pretty fun, all the classes are very different from eachother but adept can solo everything. all of the endings are terrible, i am no longer supporting, EA, Bioware, or origin.
  7. Mar 12, 2012
    The gameplay: Pretty decent. Makes some much needed improvements to weapon and armor customization. The need for a workbench was a little stifling, and you couldn't customize your armor pieces-- only which pieces you wear. Dialogue was decent, but there was almost NEVER a middle "neutral option". Too much auto-dialogue as well. Paragon/Renegade choices didn't really come into playThe gameplay: Pretty decent. Makes some much needed improvements to weapon and armor customization. The need for a workbench was a little stifling, and you couldn't customize your armor pieces-- only which pieces you wear. Dialogue was decent, but there was almost NEVER a middle "neutral option". Too much auto-dialogue as well. Paragon/Renegade choices didn't really come into play until well past the middle of the game.

The graphics: Good looking game. Animations, however, seemed robotic at times and lip synch was often painfully maligned. I'd say this was a step backward from ME2.

The story: This is where things get really dicey. Older characters from ME2 only make quasi-cameo appearances, which irked a lot of people. The choices you made in the past two games mattered to some extent-- some more than others. For instance, I know that your choice on whether or not to save the Rachni queen or not was supposed to have a decently large impact on the game. As it turned out, it really doesn't. The Rachni under her control simply contribute to your military strength score and are never seen again. Okayyyy.....

Character development is decently well done. There are some gut-wrenching choices you can make that can result in characters dying in very emotionally striking ways.

So what's wrong? It's hard to explain just how sour things turn around the last hour of the game. Imagine if at the end of Return of the Jedi, Luke woke up in his bed on Tattoine only to realize the entire series had been a dream. Granted, that's not exactly what happens in ME3-- but it's the same sort of self-destructive ending. The ending is so nihilistic that it essentially invalidates everything that you've done in ME1 and ME2. It does this while creating EGREGIOUS plot holes and trampling over everything that had been established in the prior games and even lolBooks.

Bioware claims that there are 16 endings, including several hidden ones. This is fallacious. All of the endings are based on the same 3 main "endings", which are all VERY similar in the first place. I could rant for hours about just how poorly this ending was carried out, but I digress.

Check out this poll to see the general consensus regarding the endings and take solace in knowing you are NOT alone:

Overall, the game was probably a 7/10 overall until the ending. The carelessness of the ending, the way that it comes out of left field and creates massive plot holes, and the complete and unavoidable destruction of the ME universe's unique attributes essentially invalidate the entire series. With no point in resisting, why replay the game at all? With that in mind, the game earns a 0/10 for me.
  8. Mar 11, 2012
    I was a huge fan of Mass Effect 1 and 2. Not to the point of having Shepard posters in my room or wearing N7 hoodies, but I really enjoyed the Mass Effect story and more importantly the characters I have come to know and love. I was loving Mass Effect 3 and everything in it. How stories where wrapping up, seeing familiar faces triumph, and watching some choices unfold in the last chapter.I was a huge fan of Mass Effect 1 and 2. Not to the point of having Shepard posters in my room or wearing N7 hoodies, but I really enjoyed the Mass Effect story and more importantly the characters I have come to know and love. I was loving Mass Effect 3 and everything in it. How stories where wrapping up, seeing familiar faces triumph, and watching some choices unfold in the last chapter. That was up until the last 10 minutes. Nothing I had done mattered, no resolution, nothing even close to being satisfying. What happened to the divergent story lines? What happened to the characters I have invested so much time getting to know? How can a game franchise built on choice and decisions boil the last and most important 10 minutes down to a few outcomes that are largely the same? I was planning on playing this game over and over like I have with ME1 and ME2 but now.... I dont even feel like starting it up. The ending has sucked so much enjoyment I had in this series its amazing. I wasnt expecting miracles or a story book ending... but certainly not this. I have no motivation to play again or any of the previous games. I didnt think it was possible to rob so much enjoyment out of the series with the last 10 minutes.. but they did. It would take a lot of effort to think of a worse way to end it. As a player you should want to finish the game, you want to see the outcome, and you want to see the repercussions of you actions from the 100+ hours of gameplay before. We get none of that and its why I am very disappointed in this final chapter. Expand
  9. Mar 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My verdict is; Avoid this game at all costs. Do not buy it. Do not play it. Stop at ME2 and make up a happy ending.

On the PC, the game runs smooth and never crashed. It is also possible to finally have a Same Gender Romance Arc in ME 3, sadly, this is where the game's pros end.

The story was one of repeated loss. The player is constantly seeing old friends sacrifice themselves so that Shepard can complete the current mission objective. Twice, there are two very poignant sacrifices that emotionally cut deep Mordin Solas and Eve and then later Tali vas Normandy. The finale is emotionally devoid because of the repeated numbing the player has taken by that point and after waiting 2 years, the ending is extremely frustrating and a cause of great indignation.

10. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game was a travesty on the series. The heroes journey that the game should have been was ruined by a convoluted plot and too much sci-fi trying to be shoved in what should have been an epic battle for the galaxy, sector by sector and relay by relay. We should have seen our choices and decisions we made through all three games bear fruit, for good or ill, and we should have seen epic conclusions to all of the character's stories. We also should not have gotten screwed over with Tali's face, the DLC debacle, and multiple save game issues to list a few of the major complaints. Bioware was supposed to be better than this, but this is just a blight, and I will never trust anything from them again. Expand
  11. Mar 12, 2012
    this is probably one of the worst endings to a trilogy I have ever seen. Its not that the ending is sad or not what I "wanted" I could deal with that. Its the fact the the whole last 15 minutes is full of dozens of plot holes that make no sense and gives us absolutely no closure or clue what the hell happened, it just goes straight to the credits when you would expect some more info. Ifthis is probably one of the worst endings to a trilogy I have ever seen. Its not that the ending is sad or not what I "wanted" I could deal with that. Its the fact the the whole last 15 minutes is full of dozens of plot holes that make no sense and gives us absolutely no closure or clue what the hell happened, it just goes straight to the credits when you would expect some more info. If you bought the game already, then your like me and pissed off and out of 60 bucks. ( if its the PC version)

If you haven't bought the game, either play a friends copy or wait 3 months until game stop is so stocked up on returned copies that you''ll get a 80% discount on it. Graphics - 9/10 - Great Graphics
    Sounds 7/10 - Voices for most part are great, music is horrible Story 7.5/10 until last 15 minutes then it goes to a 0/10
  12. Mar 16, 2012
    Great series ruined by a bad ending. I wasn't expecting everything to be ponies and rainbows at the end, but a lot more choice and a more fulfilling, coherent ending was what I expected and was promised from these master storytellers, who have let me down.

The game was also plagued with bugs: first it wouldn't install from the disk (tried to download the whole game from Origin even though I had a physical copy in the drive) so I had to find a workaround for that. Then it refused to import Shepard's head, so I had to go online to find a workaround for that. Then there were constant bugs and issues, and the game would often freeze unless I turned sound off in the config setting - meaning I had to watch most cutscenes twice - once in silent mode in-game, and again on Youtube walkthroughs to hear what was going on.

Nice combat system and very emotional, but the ending really did overshadow things for me, hence the score. I will go back to playing ME1 and 2 for now. My advice is stay away until the bugs are fixed and (hopefully) the devs wake up and add some more endings - decent ones. Play ME1 and 2 and enjoy very successful story arcs which manage to be interesting and emotionally involving whilst retaining coherence and choice and not being excessively bleak.
  13. jat
    Mar 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the game retroactively ruins the entire mass effect franchise. You will not want to play the games again, you will not want to buy dlc, you will not want to read the books, and you will want to punch bioware in the nuts.

The endings boil down to basically 1 ending where none of your choices matter, and you get 0 closure. Everyone dies, and the implications for the rest of the universe are just depressing. Of the endings you get, its basically the same 1, with 3 colors (6 slight variations, but not really) of the promised 16 different endings.

Gameplay and multiplayer are entertaining, and the campaign has some well written dialogue, up until the final few minutes.
  14. Mar 17, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a very entertaining game that follows closely the formula of ME2, but there are several MASSIVE PROBLEMS with it. I would recommend you do NOT purchase it at this time.

If you consider yourself a loyal fan of the series, and appreciated the direction of the stories in the previous games, there is an excellent chance you will find the endings deeply unsatisfying. There is currently a campaign underway to convince Bioware to add an alternative to the current endings. You can find out more by searching for Retake Mass Effect. Multiplayer is a component Bioware decided to include with this game. Normally this wouldn't be a concern for single player focused players, but a player's participation in MP has a direct effect on your SP experience, specifically the ending. Even if you are a completionist type of player who carefully goes through the game checking everything, you may not have enough of a certain score to achieve the "best" ending if you do not play multiplayer. For those without a reliable internet connection, this is a serious problem.

The day one DLC is a sore point for many gamers. While I would not call the content "necessary" for full enjoyment of the game, your squad would seem fairly bare without the inclusion of the character in this dlc, and considering the free squadmate offered very soon after Mass Effect 2's release, there is no reason this couldn't have been free as well (aside from corporate greed, which is exactly what this is).

Finally, a smaller complaint, but one I suspect many fans will be upset about. A certain character's true appearance is revealed in this game. If you are a long time fan you will know exactly who I speak of. Let's just say the reveal is quite disappointing, and it involves photoshop. All these issues (minus the MP) are based on my own opinions. I have been a big fan of the series since the beginning, and 99% of the trilogy has been an absolute blast. I don't expect Bioware to remove or change the offenses I have listed above, but I would sincerely appreciate an alternative. If you share my opinion on some of these missteps, I would again ask that you do not purchase the game at this time. Affecting Bioware and EA's profits is the best way to voice your opinion.
  15. Mar 19, 2012
    I would have given it a 9 for gameplay alone, but I had to say 2 to represent how satisfied I was with this poor end of such an amazing series. The ball was dropped, and an entire story ruined by 10 minutes of plotholes and a failure to give Shepard the real chance to succeed as he/she would have if they had stayed true to the character. Mass Effect deserved better than this.
  16. Mar 22, 2012
    Buen juego destrozado por el final.
    Nada importa, ni decisiones ni nada, una estafa, vamos...

Solo se salva por que al menos la narrativa es amena y la jugabilidad buena, pero ese final... MAAAL
  17. Mar 23, 2012
    We were promised an epic battle for Earth ... The sophisticated dialogues and the consequences of choice. As a result, none of these promises, in the ME3 is not satisfied. The game drags in the first half. And the second is simply FAIL. I will never buy a single BioWare game (
  18. Apr 7, 2012
    The ending ruined this whole series for me. I have zero desire to replay any of the series ever. I will raise this score if they fix the ending. Until then, this game destroyed the ME universe for me. Ending had zero closure, gaping plot holes, and was literally an A B C choice. This game did not meet the promises that were made pre-release. Sadly, up until the end it was prettyThe ending ruined this whole series for me. I have zero desire to replay any of the series ever. I will raise this score if they fix the ending. Until then, this game destroyed the ME universe for me. Ending had zero closure, gaping plot holes, and was literally an A B C choice. This game did not meet the promises that were made pre-release. Sadly, up until the end it was pretty good. But since this was a story based game, the ending had to live up to at least some expectations. It did not. I will raise this score, if Bioware fixes the end. Expand
  19. Apr 11, 2012
    There are plenty of very thorough and complete reviews out here now, so I'll just try to add some extra value for someone still trying to decide whether to buy this game. Like many other reviewers, I've been playing since ME1, and also as many other reviewers have said, I cared enough to take the time to get on Metacritic and throw in my 2 cents.

BOTTOM LINE: I regret buying this game

BOTTOM LINE: I regret buying this game at full retail price. Wait until you can get it cheap, hopefully after they've fixed the bugs and added some worthy DLC.

Here's why I feel this way: Much of the game feels rushed, dumbed-down, and simplified, and in the end, I just feel like it didn't work out like it should have. And I really mean it didn't work! Besides issues noted elsewhere, I had my own. I ignored the bad reviews here and got the game a couple of weeks ago. I held my nose and bought the Day 1 DLC. But my extra squadmate never showed up. I looked all over the galaxy. I looked at the online walkthroughs. I did what i was supposed to do (as near as I could tell) and searched where I was supposed to search. But I never hooked up with my would-be Prothean buddy. I got the extra duds for the rest of the squad, but that didn't justify the expense of the DLC. I still feel ripped off about this.

There were also vital elements of the game that were just simply never explained. For example, how do you raise your war readiness? The game never tells you that you have to play the multiplayer to do this; I had to read that in another review tonight. Oh well, I've already completed my playthrough, and I won't be going back.

HELLO ..... how about including a game manual; even a rudimentary, rinky-dink manual that covers the basic game elements? Also, as other reviewers have stated, dialogue choices seemed narrower and shallower. This specifically affected me in the romance part of the game. I flirted with a couple of characters, and then BAM I'd completed some sort of irreversible step which locked me into romance with a character I didn't even like (Ashley). So when it came time to bend her over in my cabin, I told her I was too busy for her. But the game still had my character telling her he loved her later. Oh well. In ME1 and 2, It was a lot more obvious that you were taking an irreversible step with any of the romance options.

As an aside, I'll note that I wasn't very thrilled with my squad choices. More, please. All this time saving the galaxy and I only get 5 squad members? The only real new choice I had was indeed a novel addition and I brought her on lots of missions, but I still felt more choices would have been better. If only the DLC actually worked!

On the positive side, they fixed the tedious scanning borefest with something much more workable. And I enjoyed the combat, for the most part. After I leveled up my Vanguard, I had plenty of fun charging into battle.

But I got tired of all the melodrama, which seemed forced on my character. I felt like I was in a bad WWII shooter that served as thinly veiled propaganda. The dream sequences with the child were annoying and nonsensical at best, and the forced emotionalism of the child in the game just really seemed out of place.

As for the ending ........ yeah it wasn't great. But the real issue I had was that the actual choice you have at the end isn't obvious. Heck, it just looked like two outcomes to me, and not three as I see reviewers here have mentioned. I literally flipped a coin and went up the right platform, not really clear as to what I was doing. When I got close enough to guess which outcome this would result in, I realized this was not the choice I wanted ..... but the game would not let me turn around and go the other direction. Not because of a door or barrier, nay, but just because the game wouldn't let me walk back the way I came once I got past a certain invisible point.

Overall, I had some fun playing it and and I enjoyed the missions that tied up lose ends from ME1 and 2 around the galaxy. But in the end, this could not overcome my disappointment in the glaring faults I've discussed, nor the other issues that previous reviewers have noted.

I feel bad for Bioware. I've been a fan for a long time and I think they genuinely care. But I can't say this was a good game when it has so many faults that should have been remedied before release. Guess I'll just blame it on EA. I don't really care to go back again even if they add DLC to fix things.
  20. May 25, 2012
    For those new to series, ME3 as a stand alone game is probably not bad, though without playing ME1-2 it's rather difficult to understand multiple references to earlier series events. But again, if to play with pressing SPACE all the time to skip dialogues to short cut to action - then neither story no its end matter and you have only to worry about some bugs and your characterFor those new to series, ME3 as a stand alone game is probably not bad, though without playing ME1-2 it's rather difficult to understand multiple references to earlier series events. But again, if to play with pressing SPACE all the time to skip dialogues to short cut to action - then neither story no its end matter and you have only to worry about some bugs and your character refusing to move properly according to your commands from time to time.
    But I used to be a ME series fan and I was playing and paying for entertainment I was getting. I have started with ME2 and soon dropped it for a while to play ME1 first and then returned to replay ME2 for better ending. And I was ready to replay ME3 to get desired outcome. And here comes not only ingame issue with linear plot and bad joke devastating ending - but also an ethical issue with Bioware managers publically lying to users, encouraging them to play and replay by assuring them that it's possible to achieve higher scores necessary for a secret ending without myltiplayer. Which is not true. But people believed, why should not have they - it worked like this in ME2. And purchased and played and replayed.
    And then the stupid ending itself, promised to be variable, not a display of RGB colour model. Amazing how Boiware been building its loyal userbase for 5 years managed to ruin the best RPG franchise in one go acting as if there was no tomorrow and the only thing important was to make people buy the copy of the game regardless. No apologises, no explanation, quite the contrary...Looks like Bioware regards its users as a cattle which exists only to be soothen with **** if necessry and milked.
  21. May 29, 2012
    Mass Effect 1 is my greatest video game experience ever. Mass Effect 2 kick my ass, in the good way. Mass Effect 3 let me sick and sad; like I was stupid to ever trust video game can be more than just none-stop none-sensical action. The intro is bad, Bioware promise us the trial of Shepard for the Arrival event, and itâ
  22. Jul 6, 2012
    The entire game focuses on a story which doesn't relate to Me and ME2 very well. Most missions you do come across as tacked in just to add gameplay hours, at least 3 Deus Ex Machina plot points (We don't have a cure for the genophage....wait...yes we do now; How can we know what the catalyst is? Hey, there's prothean beacon over there! Reapers cannot be defeated. There's a thing calledThe entire game focuses on a story which doesn't relate to Me and ME2 very well. Most missions you do come across as tacked in just to add gameplay hours, at least 3 Deus Ex Machina plot points (We don't have a cure for the genophage....wait...yes we do now; How can we know what the catalyst is? Hey, there's prothean beacon over there! Reapers cannot be defeated. There's a thing called crucible, no one knows what it is or what it does, but hey, it's big! Must work!), and many more senseless things happening.
    Also, using cerberus as villains was simply a retarded cop out for enemies, and they ruined TIM in the process, turning the "ultimate renegade" into a deranged power hungry maniac.
    It's just sad how they handled ME2 characters, especially when romanced.
    The gameplay flows a bit soother than ME2, but it still has rather stupid cover mechanics. Also in the gameplay, the auto-dialog... Probably the worst idea they could have!
    Now, to the endings... Well, it is said that if a part of the story feels completely out of place, it can be disregarded from the plot so logically, the game ends before the companions are picked up by the Normandy during harby's nap time, therefore, I'm still waiting for the endings.
  23. Sep 18, 2012
    Your first impression on this game may be good. But after all i need to give it ZERO. i played all classes, with multiplayer and all side missions and seriously this is not even a game. It has fine moments of story and THAT IS ALL, and to be honest i bought this game because i wanted to see how this story ends. THE ENDING IS HORRIBLE and without DLC extended cut its not even an ending.Your first impression on this game may be good. But after all i need to give it ZERO. i played all classes, with multiplayer and all side missions and seriously this is not even a game. It has fine moments of story and THAT IS ALL, and to be honest i bought this game because i wanted to see how this story ends. THE ENDING IS HORRIBLE and without DLC extended cut its not even an ending. Maybe it is an action game but i completed all content using just ONE F***ING KEY. You can put match in your keyboard and focus only on mouse to complete this game. There is only ONE moment you need to use something more. They way you do your side missions is so annoying i wont even write about this. Don't buy this S***. Expand
  24. Mar 11, 2012
    99% of the game is very well done and quite fun. Before the ending I was thoroughly enjoying myself (which is why it gets a 3 and not a 0) I even liked the multiplayer.

Until the ending hit. I don't want to spoil anything, but no matter what you do in the 3 games, you lose, and the ending simply leaves you hanging. and that's absolutely unacceptable. Do yourself a favor, and don't play

Do yourself a favor, and don't play this game - especially if you've played the first 2 games. It will ruin the series for you
  25. Nov 22, 2012
    Very Stupid ending options! even with the dlc that is supposed to fix it. You suck Bioware. Graphics are trash, animations are low grade. Almost everything sucks in this game.
  26. Apr 9, 2012
    This game showed great promise for being GOTY 2012 but based on the fact that the whole ME series so closely copied other sci-fis the whole prothean device idea was figured out by me and my brother before the game was released. Despite this let down the game had some great features throughout which were suddenly pushed to one side by that horrific ending. Considering the how game was basedThis game showed great promise for being GOTY 2012 but based on the fact that the whole ME series so closely copied other sci-fis the whole prothean device idea was figured out by me and my brother before the game was released. Despite this let down the game had some great features throughout which were suddenly pushed to one side by that horrific ending. Considering the how game was based on the choices you make through out these had no effect on the three ghastly choices at the end which all end the game in exactly the same terrible way Expand
  27. Mar 9, 2012
    This review is coming from someone who was a true fan of Mass Effect since its first installment. Mass Effect from the beginning was an excellently crafted game, providing intriguing dialogue, decent gameplay, and an excellent universe in which an even better story was set. The ending of the first Mass Effect was one that reflected all of your actions, and defined your character as aThis review is coming from someone who was a true fan of Mass Effect since its first installment. Mass Effect from the beginning was an excellently crafted game, providing intriguing dialogue, decent gameplay, and an excellent universe in which an even better story was set. The ending of the first Mass Effect was one that reflected all of your actions, and defined your character as a person, setting the stage for a sequel and presumably having actions that would echo throughout the upcoming trilogy.

Mass Effect 2 streamlined most of the RPG fighting mechanics, but was entirely forgivable by the updated graphics and most certainly superior character development and storybuilding. Everything had been done right for me in ME2, but I saw that it was largely a transitional game. Something that acted as both a satisfying piece of work and visibly a transitional story piece. Ultimately, Mass Effect 2 was made as a buffer between 1 and 3 so that 3 could be the greatest installment yet. Bioware had been marketing Mass Effect 3 as the game that would be "The epic conclusion of the Mass Effect saga", which would "tie up all loose ends" and "be influenced considerably by the choices you've made in the previous games". As one can see, Mass Effect 3 strays so far from these expectations that they've marketed their fans to believe. If the user score isn't evidence enough, I don't know what is. After all, the users of this website are the consumers of the game, not the companies paid to write soulless reviews about a topic that they've only half heard about since its release. They aren't the ones that matter. The people matter, and I'll be exact on every problem that ME3 faced so that hopefully Bioware is listening.

Mass Effect 3 starts out as everything that I could have ever hoped for. The dramatic introductions of the Reapers unto Earth is exactly what I wanted. Earth is in ruins, and Shepard is the only one who has the influence and the ability to step outside the realm of politics to deal with the threat he had warned everyone about. He begins to gather resources from planet to planet, forming alliances with previously warring factions, and solving galaxy wide problems centuries in the making. This is the Mass Effect 3 I had expected, and I thought it was perfect, until I realized later on what had been happening. My major decisions from ME1 and 2 weren't showing up, and some breaches in continuity via retcon were blatantly obvious, like the human council I worked towards getting being replaced by wax museum automatons in the mirror image of the council I had killed. Then, I noticed a couple of references to previous choices in the game, which I accepted as amusing references, but realized that they were nothing beyond references. Decisions like killing the council, putting Udina on top as the chairman, killing the Rachni queen, making Liara the Shadow Broker, Destroying Maelon's data, killing the Geth on the Heretic Station, continuing work on Project Overlord, etc, had all been reduced to nothing but a few additional pieces of dialogue. All the work I put in to the previous games in decision making had turned into nothing but 4 minutes total of additional dialogue. A sucker punch like that can be accepted grudgingly, but it doesn't end there.

Paragon and Renegade choices don't change the outcome of the game like they did in the previous games. Paragon and Renegade are basically two ways of saying the same thing now, which completely defeats the purpose of moral choices, safe for a few well done instances which I will take into consideration. On a whole, alignment has been dumbed down to mean nothing this time around. All the hard work anyone has done becoming a virtuous paragon or a scheming xenophobic renegade will be put to waste. This comes full circle in the ending, which accounts for more than half of the reviews.

The ending of a trilogy makes or breaks all 3 episodes. Imagine Darth Vader at the end of RotJ taking off his helmet to reveal that he's no Luke's father, but Jar Jar Binks. Would you be able to accept an ending like that? No, you wouldn't. Mass Effect 3's ending works to the same effect. The reason the Reapers exist is to save organic life from synthetics by killing organics with synthetics. Not only does this take a complete 180 turn from the entire story thusfar, it doesn't make any sense considering the previous information in the story. EDI successfully integrates into a synthetic body and actually falls in love with Joker. Then, the Geth finally become at peace with the Quarians, and show that they can live together harmoniously. This shows that synthetics can live with organics, thus creating a huge plot hole. And here comes the worst part. Your decisions in the past games do not effect the ending. No plot details, and no alignment choices. Everything you have done is void. This is why Mass Effect 3 has failed us.
  28. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To say I am disappointed with the ending to an otherwise excellent series would be the understatement of the year. I honestly feel like I was stabbed in the back.

We were led along with themes of hope and free will, and in the end neither one exist in the spectrum of endings available.

If I was into the combat, I might have enjoyed that. I'm more of a story kind of guy -- one reason I've repeatedly returned to Bioware as my favourite gaming studio.

Now I am considering terminating my SWTOR subscription, in spite of the fact that I'm genuinely enjoying that game. I cannot justify any studio of Bioware getting any more of my money after promising a satsfying conclusion and failing to deliver.

I realize there are people who appreciated the endings available, and I say more power to you, but I found it soul crushing.

And it's not even that the ending required the death or stranding of my character. Several of my characters friends and squad-mates died along the way and each one, while heart rending, had an undercurrent of satisfaction and purpose to it.

The endings as they exist are meaningless.
  29. Mar 11, 2012
    I am so sad they sold out. I know it makes sense for them financially to just bribe review sites and put tons of money in advertising, but you are estranging millions of fans.
  30. Mar 12, 2012
    First off I would just like to say that I am a HUGE man of the Mass Effect series, played the first 2 numerous times, and even read the first three books (I would have read the 4th, but since it was a different writer, and had overwhelmingly negative reviews due to glaring inconsistencies with the established history I seemed like it would be a waste)

Now for Mass Effect 3 - I will try

Now for Mass Effect 3 - I will try to keep this as spoiler free as possible, but some will probably make it in. You have been warned.

The story continues about 6-8 months after the last DLC of Mass Effect 2 "Arrival" when the reapers invade Earth, as well as other planets throughout the galaxy. You escape the initial events in order to try and rally the other races of the galaxy to mobilize a massive counterattack to take back Earth, and ultimately the galaxy as a whole. Along the way you meet up with familiar faces from the first two games. Some only last little while, others will stick with you until the end, and you have the option to continue your romance with whomever you were going after (assuming they survived the first and/or second game). To me the character connections and development was the best in the series, and to my memory the best in any video game series to date. From having a friendly shooting competition with Garrus to Tali getting drunk using an "Emergency induction port" It just serves to bring a closeness with companion characters that no game has ever done before. It's not just sunshine, rainbows, and puppies though. Numerous characters end up making sacrifices so that you can succeed at your mission, which ultimately leads to my low review score but more on that later.

Game play wise this game plays really similar to Mass Effect 2, combat is a bit more challenging and smooth. Weapons are now allow for much more customization through the use of extended barrels for damage increases, scopes for better accuracy, and ammo that allows to shoot people through cover, albeit with reduced damage. The cover system has also been improved quite a bit and plays more like Gears of War, though not quite as responsive while moving in cover, but it's still an improvement over ME2. Combat wise you see a decent variety with enemies, and in some cases it's better to target a specific enemy first as they can "buff" other enemies with armor, shields ect, but as mentioned earlier it's near identical to ME2. One last thing is that you now have a weight system that determines how often you can use your powers. For soldiers it's not as big of a deal since you have all 5 weapon slots used, and with the use of Ammo powers (ammo powers don't have cooldowns and weight does not effect them) it's not as big of a deal. For Classes with numerous Biotic/Tech powers It's more of a concern since you rely on weapon damage much less than the soldier, so it makes you think about what weapons (and how many) you want to load up with. The only notable thing missing are boss battles. Yes you do have certain enemies that you have to burn through multiple layers of defenses, but there is nothing like there was with Saren at the end of ME1 or the human reaper at the end of ME2. Now as many people across many sites have been saying the first 99% of the game is fantastic, it's the last 1%, or 10 minutes that completely ruin the game, and for some people the series. Without getting into specific spoilers it boils down to two main gripes I have with the ending. 1) Is that the plot device used to end the game came out of left field, there was no foreshadowing, evidence or anything else to prepare us for the emergence of this "Deus Ex Machina" and 2) The player loses any semblance of control or choice that they have had throughout the entire series, when it matters the most. The player is simply given options, that quite frankly feel disjointed from the overarching themes of the Mass Effect universe, and you have no way to argue or protest, it simply "is what it is." Add on top of that the "different choices" lead to what is ultimately a near identical result since you see ABSOLUTELY NO consequences of your decision. Heck you don't even know if most of your companions live or die! Ultimately all the choices and relationships you made, all the sacrifices you, your companions, and even the galaxy at large made end up seeming meaningless were unworthy of the ending they received. Graphics 9/10
    Gameplay 10/10
    Sound 10/10
    Story 1/10 (I was nice and rounded up to 1 since there was at least SOMETHING there) first 99% 10/10 last 1% -10/10
    Replay value 1/10
  31. Mar 13, 2012
    Quoting SacredJefe from ign comments:
    Quoting SacredJefe from ign comments:
    "Fans of the ME series are mad because there are GLARING plot-holes in the endings and because NONE of our decisions in the three games MATTERED in the end. No matter how you played the game, there were only three endings with slightly different variations that were only barely noticeable. Bioware promised us sophisticated endings, not this crap where every ending is pretty much the same damn thing with different color lights. Ignore the people who say "we" deserve better, because the matter of the fact is MASS EFFECT deserves better."

it sure deserves better.
  32. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all: The game doesn't deserve a "1" as rating. Nevertheless I'm rating this way as a warning to everyone thinking about buying.

Have you ever read an awesome book, or watched an amazing movie that touched you emotionally on a level never experienced before. I have - with the with the Mass Effect series! Now imagine at the end you get the very worst ending you can think of where everything the characters did or stood for was rendered useless. I have - in the final minutes of Mass Effect 3.

I consider myself mentally stable. To see an ending like that has left me devastated. I experience physical symptoms of a minor depression - lack of appetite, lack of motivation.

I played Mass Effect since the first game. And Bioware games since the first Baldur's Gate. Despite being a grown man, waiting for this game made me feel like a seven year old again. Eagerly waiting for Christmas. Now I feel like my parents have pulled a cruel, cruel joke on me. For years hinting that I would get an amazing present. Bulding up my expectations. Then under the Christmas tree, the most amazing package, artfully wrapped. I unpack it, laughing, crying all the time. And then inside I find a weird looking remote control with three buttons (red, green, blue), I'm confused! Yet I press one of the buttons - still hoping - and all it does is annihilate everything around me. Now I sit in the ashes of the greatest game ever and cry bitter tears. All I can hope for is sparing others what I had to go though.
  33. Mar 15, 2012
    The first 95% of the game is a 9. Solid gameplay improving in every way over ME2. Combat mechanics are tighter. There are more weapons and weapon mods. Classes make more sense. Load times are better. I mean, I really can't say enough positive about the first 95% of the game.

But that all falls apart at the climax. The minute you head for the point of no return, the games plot and logic fall apart, culminating in a confusing nonsensical ending that resolves nothing.

The ending of the game damages more than just this game, but the previous two titles as well. You are left with complete and utter disappointment that also ruins the replay value of these games. When one portion of a game not only ruins your enjoyment of the title you're playing, but also of two additional games that you can never bring yourself to play again, it's worth more than just a point or two off the total score.

I've been a gamer my whole life. I can remember using a tape drive to load games on a C=64 at school. Never in my history as a gamer have I seen a company drop the ball this badly at the 1 yard line.

If something is done that fixes the ending (doesn't have to make it happy, just make sense), I'll reconsider my score.
  34. Mar 15, 2012
    low score for the ending, shame bioware, shame
  35. Mar 17, 2012
    WE WILL HOLD THE LINE!!!
    As a sign of protest, I advise everyone to boycott reviews of ME3. If proper DLC is delivered our reviews can be changed to positive ones.
    RETAKE MASS EFFECT 3
  36. Mar 18, 2012
    ME1 was a really, really good game, ME2 was amazing - ME3 is a huge letdown to its fans. ME3 is basically a dumbed down version of ME1 and ME2 with a poorly written story and disappointing ending.

They have removed a lot of the RPG elements, converting the game to a FPS instead - there is no inventory and no selling of unused equipment. I actually liked the graphics, but, especially with female NPCs, many of them look alike and you get the feeling "hey, i already saved you before".

The rich story and involvement in your crew mates from ME1 and ME2 have been reduced to meaningless chatter that can be boiled down to "Its all so hopeless, I don't know if I can handle it - but now that you are here Shepard, everything is going to be fine". In ME1 and ME2 there were some interesting game choices during the game, both for crew mates and story - none exist in ME3, it has been reduced to "Are you going for Paragon or Renegade?". There are no storyline attached to your crew mates which really hurts the game.
    The worst thing about ME3 is the ending - for fans it is a huge letdown. None of the choices during the game has any impact on the ending, and the ending doesn't really make any sense.
    If this game becomes a box-office hit, it is due to the success of ME1 and ME2.
  37. Mar 18, 2012
    This game should be judged as two separate entities awkwardly conjoined rather than one whole individual entity. The first part consists of the first 99.9% of the game, of which the story telling, the build up to the climax and the tension were all very well done, as expected for the final title to this series, and would earn a maximum score. HOWEVER, the last 0.1%, also now known as theThis game should be judged as two separate entities awkwardly conjoined rather than one whole individual entity. The first part consists of the first 99.9% of the game, of which the story telling, the build up to the climax and the tension were all very well done, as expected for the final title to this series, and would earn a maximum score. HOWEVER, the last 0.1%, also now known as the infamous "last 10 minutes" was a very poorly executed of what is a brave and interesting concept, which had failed so catastrophically that the last part can get but zero score. Unfortunately, as the whole product is not whole without an ending, and the ending is but a fraction of the whole, the two scores must add up, however it must be "calibrated" for weight of importance. As the "definitive" end to the hitherto awesome series, the ending, despite its short length in this epic journey, has the heaviest weight, not only in the series concerning Commander Shepard, but also the entire franchise based on the story and trials of the Commander (as Bioware announced no future spinoffs will be based past the events of ME3), therefore its massive disappointment wiped away all the hard earned high score to bring the total down to 0, rounded down. This is not due to some petty tantrum but rather a summary of how that single misstep has probably destroyed the franchise's future, as already many have lost incentives for a second playthrough for ME3, let alone a replay of the first games, thus replayability has been thoroughly killed off. In addition, further spinoffs for the franchise in the future will suffer from similar disincentives due to them all inevitably based before the events of ME3, or at least before the last 10 minutes of it. Therefore, this franchise is lost, and lost because of this game, Mass Effect 3, or more precisely, the "last 10 minutes". I would like to take this space now to sincerely thank Bioware's staff for their time and effort to make these games, that it had been a wonderful journey, and that I really appreciated it. HOWEVER, that does not mean I will not deliver a scathing review on their products where and when it is needed. Expand
  38. Mar 18, 2012
    Not only is ME3 the worst in the series but it's entire ad campaign was a blatant lie. Your choices in the previous games are not taking into account, and the ending is a gigantic mess of plot holes and nonsense.
    If you must play this game wait for the price to bottom out at 20 bucks
  39. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game until ending.....

which color do u like? oh, doesn't matter, everybody screwed

u take nothing back....

It's only just a lie....

what's more, they think this is a good idea....
  40. Mar 22, 2012
    The game is beautiful and polished, but in no meaningful way do Shepard's actions in previous games impact this game. The only difference between the three endings is the color of an explosion. Yes. You heard me. THE COLOR OF AN EXPLOSION is the fruit of your labor. There is no epilogue. I am angry that I wasted $70 on this game. ME1 and ME2 are still outstanding games, and I do not regretThe game is beautiful and polished, but in no meaningful way do Shepard's actions in previous games impact this game. The only difference between the three endings is the color of an explosion. Yes. You heard me. THE COLOR OF AN EXPLOSION is the fruit of your labor. There is no epilogue. I am angry that I wasted $70 on this game. ME1 and ME2 are still outstanding games, and I do not regret playing them, but I would be happier imagining the ending than being disappointed by the meaninglessness of my actions in ME3. Expand
  41. Apr 10, 2012
    Im a game developer and i cant believe what i get on ending of ME3. This is clearly unchecked and against the previous experiences (and major fanbase expectations). The only way to repair [some of] this mess is move to indoctrination theory. But.. if indoc is true.. then the ME3 is INCOMPLETE: we dont retake Earth as advertised, not yet.. This is the major destruction of a fanbase inIm a game developer and i cant believe what i get on ending of ME3. This is clearly unchecked and against the previous experiences (and major fanbase expectations). The only way to repair [some of] this mess is move to indoctrination theory. But.. if indoc is true.. then the ME3 is INCOMPLETE: we dont retake Earth as advertised, not yet.. This is the major destruction of a fanbase in entire game history. Expand
  42. Apr 21, 2012
    If the first and second episodes were not, I would have given a 6, may be a 7 for this game. Unfortunately, they exist. This episode has no scenario, no charisma, and the RPG side is dead. I'm very surprised by the scores that ME3 received. This game doesn't deserve 8 or 9 points compared to it predecessors.
  43. Apr 23, 2012
    I never was a Huge fan, but I played the two first and had fun.

However ME3 is BARELY a ME game! 1) First is Disregards for announced gameplay: a)Promised closure : -No closure depending on what you did in 3 games. No difference. -Cheap loophole, stuff made before is IRRELEVANT - PERIOD -Old crew is not to be part of new crew so, if they died or not have NO impact beyond some score
    I never was a Huge fan, but I played the two first and had fun.

However ME3 is BARELY a ME game!

1) First is Disregards for announced gameplay:
    a)Promised closure :
    -No closure depending on what you did in 3 games. No difference.
    -Cheap loophole, stuff made before is IRRELEVANT - PERIOD
    -Old crew is not to be part of new crew so, if they died or not have NO impact beyond some score (20pts on 5000 total, yeah it's that cheap, Miranda is now some points ... )
    -Xenophage or not, end stat, no more
    -Saved council in first one or not ... who cares? Same with Anderson In Council, nope whatever you chose in any games i'ts Udina. Yep, in a way they tell us to shut up and swallow!

2) Poor quality ending that disregard the working of it's own story mecanics.
    -Deux-Ex writing mecancis ... writer did an asspull in the end. CHEAP ONE TOO!
    -Reaper having circular logics, really they seems to be there because of a simple logic loophole ... but it's even worse than that in term of writng skill!
    -Illogical and inconsistent ... so much stuf going wrong here!

3) Unacceptable answer from BOTH company. They ignored that we spent OUR money on stuf we THEY promised in their product but did not.

4) Low quality pre-ordor edition that is NOT worth it!
    -Bad weapon mecanics. Special weapons are all broken. Who need a shotgun with medium damage and pinpoint precision! It got no range too ... jeez. All basic weapons are beter than the 'special' sones.
    -They cna't even be there for the show! You can only see them in single player!

5) Day one DLC! Enough said

6) Trough the whole ME3 experience, you feel like a cash cow. and up to the end game. Deep rooted impression that the publisher or makers are pushing too hard on their client wallet.
    -Day one DLC
    -Cheap end game pop up (yeah, they do a 3 line epilogue saying "Game over, shepard is hero and wait for more in DLC).
    -Pre-Order Art book is in fact a DEMO of the "real one". They also advertise it along the way (Do you really think that afther 80$ spend on DIGITAL i'm going to break another leg and buy a 80$ book from these guys?)
    -Their PR keep to the players not as customers but as "emotional fans". Oh, I'm getting emotionnal alright and I'm sure NOT a fan. I'm a human being and i'm spending my FXXXXXXX money on falsely advertised prodcuts! -These guys have NO respect for their clients. I wonder what we are in fact, I cows are at least well cared for so they can be milked for years. Yeah, it's THAT bad ... 7) EA and Bioware Refused to appologise that is/feels sincere. If you read between the lines it says : Shut up whiny kids. Hey i'm over 30 with two kids and i'm not that rich. If I spend 80$ on a product that is badly advertised I'm expecting at least a little respect from those who sold **** to me and called it gold!

8) The interconnection inbetween game journalism and publisher is not to be dismissed. We all know it, we don't beleive the big review guys anymore. Especially thioses who gave a 10/10. And chowbot, com'on! A journalist should not be part of the story she's reviewing! Imagine if Lucas tell you phantom menace is great, will you beleive him?

9) One of these mistake in itself would not be too bad. Actually there is a ton of games that have similar or bigger issues. However, it's when you put it ALL together that you get a pile of **** soooo smelly and soo disgusting that you don't want to go trough the ME3 experience. Play 1st and 2nd but don't ever play the THURD one!

Do they think we are morons? Do they care calling 90% of their client idiots? WE, the hard working players, we don't seem to matter for these guys, In fact, we are less important than the lowest of corporate scumbag at EA.

Why should I care anyway, i'm not here to help these company, i'm here to tell you guys:

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!! IT'S NOT WORTH YOUR MONEY!

And if you love ME, Please please , don't finish the game in ANY way. Get your character killed and call-it a day. Avoid the rage. Marauder-shield forever. He tried to warn us :(
  44. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I honestly did not get what all the fuss was about, until i took it upon myself to "dive" into the story and see for myself. And boy was it a shallow dive. First, the story. The story is so simple it verges on pointless. Hell, I'd go so far as to say this is the worst, blandest story of ANY game i have played so far. This is very, very bad. I won't go "spoiling" it for you, because frankly, i CAN'T. I don't remember what i did in this game, aside from amassing an army! I don't remember anything interesting about the missions, nor the side-quests. The Gameplay. Or in this case, the arduous art of playing a very boring game. I'd like to warn future players to finish EVERY side quest, before you take on a priority mission, because then you lose all the side quests you didn't finish, and with that vital characters. Read the manual. That is a **** move to keep you replaying the game and seeing how the gameplay is more of a unsatisfying chore as opposed to a fun experience, you'd do well to remember that if you wish to finish it. Pick your covers, because Shepard can't aim well and will get confused sometimes and get out of cover without your command. Also he's sluggish and badly centered so have in mind that shepard's shoulder or head can get in the way of your aim. The visual experience is the only thing that carries this game across. SOMETIMES. There was only one instance that i remember, while playing the game, that actually got me excited a bit. That's the Tresher Maw vs. Reaper on Tuchanka. It was a lovely sequence that kept me going, hoping there would be more such sequences. There weren't any. There was a mass of cliches and uninspiring story elements though. The graphics are just a little polished, nothing new. The animation is stiff and sluggish. Rent or Beware.

Bioware, I **** on your honor. EA, I hope you lying, money grubbing bastards get your just deserts. And i hope you choke on it and rid us all of your blight upon this world.
  45. Mar 11, 2012
    Disappointing gameplay, atrocious ending. Day 1 DLC, Origin. I don't need to go on.
    What a let down. Won't be buying EA again - torrents here I come.
  46. Mar 9, 2012
    Holy mother of **** is this game bad. Did not live up to the hype at all. Leave it to EA to spend money on marketing that should go into the game. Story was bad, and interacting with characters was worse. I couldn't manage a second playthrough.
  47. Mar 21, 2012
    yea its not worth a 1 but more like a 5 or soo but im still giving it a 1 to prove a point. Where to begin?, once again a **** console port, thats a lot bioware. On my way to the end i had 2 game stoping bugs, one with the dlc that wouldnt let me watch videos and another one with the main game that required a reboot. Also sound and video would bugg out at times, In the end this is a fairlyyea its not worth a 1 but more like a 5 or soo but im still giving it a 1 to prove a point. Where to begin?, once again a **** console port, thats a lot bioware. On my way to the end i had 2 game stoping bugs, one with the dlc that wouldnt let me watch videos and another one with the main game that required a reboot. Also sound and video would bugg out at times, In the end this is a fairly shallow rail shooter with a ok story, great production values, and a horrible ending.

Thumbs up for the multi player tho, almost the best part of the game. short and shallow as it is.
  48. Mar 10, 2012
    The 15 minute ending to this game destroyed not only what was, up until then, the best game I've ever played, it destroyed the entire franchise for me. The road was great, but the ending is unforgivable.
  49. Mar 10, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the culmination of a sweeping trilogy of games that supposedly pay off the difficult choices you have had to make and the sacrifices you have has to carefully consider. Instead, it features the single worst ending i have ever seen in a game - be it shooter, RPG, what have you - while rendering your choices completely irrelevant, as you are railroaded into playing theMass Effect 3 is the culmination of a sweeping trilogy of games that supposedly pay off the difficult choices you have had to make and the sacrifices you have has to carefully consider. Instead, it features the single worst ending i have ever seen in a game - be it shooter, RPG, what have you - while rendering your choices completely irrelevant, as you are railroaded into playing the tacked on multiplayer to get the good endings. It's an unseemly, awful system, and whether at EA's behest or BioWare's, it is not under any circumstances acceptable. On the ending itself, whether you play multiplayer or not, it's terrible. To avoid spoilers, I will leave it at that, but I have never been so insulted to have invested myself in a game, only to be slapped in the face, like that before. Expand
  50. Mar 11, 2012
    Aprés un Mass effect 1 et un Mass effect 2 attachant et épiques. Bioware s'est moqué de tout le monde avec un Mass effect 3 attendu et gaché par une fin scandaleuse.

After a Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 epic and endearing. Bioware made â
  51. Mar 11, 2012
    Mass effect 1 & 2 were my favorite story-driven RPG games. To provide a point of reference, I would give ME1 a 9.5, ME2 an 8.5, and I was ready to give ME3 a 10 up until the ending. In comparison to the previous games in the series, ME3 has improved combat mechanics, great animation, fantastic cut-scenes and very powerful and moving moments with characters from the previous games. Some ofMass effect 1 & 2 were my favorite story-driven RPG games. To provide a point of reference, I would give ME1 a 9.5, ME2 an 8.5, and I was ready to give ME3 a 10 up until the ending. In comparison to the previous games in the series, ME3 has improved combat mechanics, great animation, fantastic cut-scenes and very powerful and moving moments with characters from the previous games. Some of the later Tali scenes almost brought tears to my eyes. The team AI is even better - they don't needlessly wander off into fire and die anymore. With that said, I'm not sure I could imagine a worse ending. I use the singular "ending" because that's basically all there is. Renegade or Paragon, you do the same thing, and it doesn't make sense in either case. Because of the quality of the game leading up to the ending, it probably deserves a higher rating, but the "finale" makes me too angry to give it one. The loss of Drew Karpyshyn (writer of ME1 & 2) is strongly felt. Knowing EA, they'll probably see all our anguish as a way to make money and we'll get our ending, but have to pay for the DLC that provides it. I won't pretend like this will cause me to never buy another EA/Bioware game, but I sure will think hard before becoming invested in their games. This could have been the best game of the past 10 years, and instead I'm left feeling heartlessly gutted. Expand
  52. Mar 11, 2012
    I loved ME1 and ME2, and ME2's ending set the perfect scenario for ME3... So, how did Bioware manage to mess up so badly with ME3? That's a real mystery.
    ME3 is simply boring: almost all rpg elements are gone, all that remains is a poor 3rd person shooter... Totally useless, considering there are tons of better shooters out there.
    Level design is bad: linear and repetitive (no need for a
    Level design is bad: linear and repetitive (no need for a map), with endless waves of the same enemies. Skill choices and progressions are too limited.
    Dialogue choices are sporadic and messy: the short selection sentences are often unrelated to the subsequent dialogues.
    Cutscenes are uninspired and flavorless, and even the voice actors are not at their best compared to previous games (direction's fault?).
    The plot is messy and insubstantial, loading one sequence after another without any real meaning between those. Even romances seem quite forced and amiss.
    There is no real feeling of a galactic war going on around Shepard, nor any impact on player's decisions. Previous choices from ME1 and ME2 are virtually neglectable: you simply get one NPC instead of another, but nothing changes.
    What else? The game is too short, animations are really poor, and PC porting is simply horrible.
    Not even worth pirating: stay away from ME3, and maybe EA/Bioware will finally understand users are not dumb as they think.
  53. Mar 11, 2012
    So, EA forces you to use Origin, a crappy, glitchy re-brand of EA download manager, puts day 1 DLC that's ON THE DISK out, and expects people to buy it?

This is very disappointing.
  54. Mar 19, 2012
    Incredible production values with great combat design and customization, topnotch voice-acting, writing, art and music / sound-design can't hide that the conclusion to the ME trilogy was rushed. Cut-corners are visible everywhere but it isn't until the finale that the game falls apart. The level of failure here is spectacular and historic: game ends in a disappointing, disjointed,Incredible production values with great combat design and customization, topnotch voice-acting, writing, art and music / sound-design can't hide that the conclusion to the ME trilogy was rushed. Cut-corners are visible everywhere but it isn't until the finale that the game falls apart. The level of failure here is spectacular and historic: game ends in a disappointing, disjointed, contrived mess that betrays the trilogy's themes and your earlier choices. No matter what ending you play towards, the result is portrayed in the same cut scene with minor cuts and a different color scheme. The implications of the choice are so nihilistic, they sap your will to replay through the story again. The fan backlash is not about entitlement but about poor game design. Trust the hype: the end really is as bad as people say. Expand
  55. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was an epic disappointment. Compared to the other two games in the trilogy, it is bland and lacks clarity. The story also has a lot of inconsistencies and plot holes that fail to match the actual series. There is issues with concluding the game as well. Expand
  56. Mar 24, 2012
    Bioware managed to ruin my favorite game series ever in less than 10 minutes. Don't play this game if you want some sort of satisfaction with your story.
  57. Mar 9, 2012
    screw you bioware!!! I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN!!! this is even worse than what you did with dragon age 2!!! Mass effect was supposed to be the best TRILOGY of our time but in the end you ruined it with your **** ending!! i wish i didnt get this game!!! the ending of ME2 would have been fine by me!!
  58. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When the mass relays were destroyed, Mass Effect was destroyed.

Mass Effect isn't Shepard, it's not the Reapers, it's not a single galactic species. Mass Effect is the connection of the galactic species, it's their bickering, their politics, waring, and friendship; with the mass relays gone that connection is severed.
  59. Mar 10, 2012
    BioWare tends to think that all their players are retards and autistic 12 year old kids who cant into using a keyboard; which has lots of keys, so they map EVERY SINGLE ACTION to the Spacebar, not able to Holster weapons due to 'memory issues' on consoles.... really BioWare?

This game sucked donkey balls and completely ruined the franchise for making the game 'more accessible' to mainstream audience, the Deus-Ex ending, **** graphics (PC), out of sync voice acting, blatantly ripping off Tali's face from a stock photo on Getty Images (http://tinyurl.com/6o96gar), modelling Ashley's face after a T-girl, Grandpa narrating to grandson ending, **** PLOTHOLES (Quarians have hair?). Yep it's a pretty ****ty way to end Shep's story.

END OF RINE --------------------------------------------------------------------------<

RINE ENDS HERE.
  60. Mar 10, 2012
    Turtle-paced game development, extremely shoddy combat, etc...

This game is bad.
    Turtle-paced game development, extremely shoddy combat, etc...

This game is bad.
  61. Mar 15, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a cemetary of hopes.
    1. They promised us to remove terrible mining system but gave us even more boring and annoying one.
    2. They promised that every our descicion will matter. No descision affects ANYTHING in the game. More to this - all your previous descicions from ME1 and ME2 are discarded and you are forced into almost linear storyline. 3. Your actions have no
    Mass Effect 3 is a cemetary of hopes.
    3. Your actions have no result - should you cure genophage or decide to keep it - THAT DOES NOT AFFECT ANYTHING.
    4. Only your score matters, endings decided Deus Ex style - you just have 3 descicions that determine what ending you get, and your score determines your survivability.
    5. The endings is one of the most terrible in game history. To the point where people will gladly buy DLC with a single new ending.
    6. Renegade and Paragon scales are completely useless in the game.
    7. the game degraded from RPG-Shooter to Shooter with a bit of RPG elements.
    It is common for such projects to attract unrealistic expectations from fans but here we have a situation when even features, promised by developers were not fulfilled or implemented awfully.
    As Dragon Age 2 was a disappointment, Mass Effect 3 is a disappointlent of 2012. I only hope new Bioshock will not fail us.
  62. Mar 9, 2012
    I don't know how those who gave good review can be satisfied with ME3. I think either they are newbies who only played ME3 or paid by Bioware/EA. First of all, all the choices I have made in ME1 and ME2 seemed not to have impact at all in ME3. Saving or killing queen rachni didn't affect so much in ME3. Saving or destroying Maelon data at ME2 didn't really help in making genophage cure.I don't know how those who gave good review can be satisfied with ME3. I think either they are newbies who only played ME3 or paid by Bioware/EA. First of all, all the choices I have made in ME1 and ME2 seemed not to have impact at all in ME3. Saving or killing queen rachni didn't affect so much in ME3. Saving or destroying Maelon data at ME2 didn't really help in making genophage cure. And the thing that disappointed me so much is the ENDING. I have spent many hours for all these 3 series to make sure I have the best ending (and had most of the alliances, and was "forced" to play MP to get 100% galactic readiness in ME3). However, the ending is just horrible, HORRIBLE! My effort seemed like nothing when I saw the ending. I was so sad bcoz ME series could have been the best sci-fi story ever. But, I am quite satisfied with side mission where I can meet my old friends in ME2. Expand
  63. Mar 9, 2012
    As a gay man, I find this game incredibly insulting (and not just for the abysmal writing and gameplay). Guess what Bioware, shoehorning in a bunch of homosexual caricatures does not make you "progressive. To think that people like myself are being used a cheap tool to add controversy to game makes me feel sick. If people are ever going to think that being gay isn't a big deal, MAKING AAs a gay man, I find this game incredibly insulting (and not just for the abysmal writing and gameplay). Guess what Bioware, shoehorning in a bunch of homosexual caricatures does not make you "progressive. To think that people like myself are being used a cheap tool to add controversy to game makes me feel sick. If people are ever going to think that being gay isn't a big deal, MAKING A HUGE DEAL OUT OF IT in video games is not going to help. All of the supposedly "deep" gay romance options in this game are nothing but a cynical attempt to give review shills something to talk about other than the god-awful gameplay and story. Bioware ought to take a look at how Obsidian handled writing gay characters in Fallout: New Vegas, so they can see how to write a gay character who has an actual personality beyond their sexuality. This game is simply offensive, and that coupled with the terrible watered down "RPG" gameplay earns it a big fat zero out of ten from me. Expand
  64. Mar 9, 2012
    Its an amazing game all the way up till the last 5 mins. I didn't think it was possible but we have an ending so bad that it ruins the entire series. I can't even think about playing any of the other ME games after watching this ending.

So in short its a 9 up til the last 5 mins The last 5 mins are so incredibly bad that it pushes the game down to a 4. The fact its origin exclusive

So in short its a 9 up til the last 5 mins

The last 5 mins are so incredibly bad that it pushes the game down to a 4.

The fact its origin exclusive knocks off another point.
  65. Mar 16, 2012
    I love the series but the ending waste all of this. If a better ending falls soon and free in a dlc, i change my note, i hope so. Sorry for my english i'm french.
  66. Mar 16, 2012
    I am going to describe this game as accurately as I possibly can. First up I am going to say that this game is not an RPG anymore. They are describing it as an Action RPG, but you cannot roam around anymore (like around the Normandy, speaking to crew members, mining planets, commander Shepard's room ect ect). It is your standard third person shooter with upgrade elements from hoard gamesI am going to describe this game as accurately as I possibly can. First up I am going to say that this game is not an RPG anymore. They are describing it as an Action RPG, but you cannot roam around anymore (like around the Normandy, speaking to crew members, mining planets, commander Shepard's room ect ect). It is your standard third person shooter with upgrade elements from hoard games such as Bulletstorm or or The Darkness. I would in fact compare the game mechanics to The Darkness, because as you shoot and kill you gain points to upgrade. This game is more action adventure/third person shooter, and not an RPG by any scope of the imagination. You would not compare this game to something like The Witcher 2 or even Skyrim, as this game is more along the lines of Bulletstorm, I don't think it can even be considered a free roam game (like the Assasin's Creed ) This is a third person shooter with upgrade elements, such as, like I said, Bulletstorm or The Darkness II or even Red Faction Armageddon. Second of all the graphics look really bad. Mass Effect 2 looks better than this. The textures are all smeared and blury, and it runs so good on my computer that the characters look like and move as if they were made out of paper. Mass effect 1 probably looks better than this, probably, but most likely, I have all three games and can make a comparison. This is a really bad game and the reviewers did not give it a more just review because they were obviously paid off. This company just made it's money out of your impulse. What you bought ladies and gentlemen, was the mere illusion that this game was going to live up to it's predecessors. They fooled you by making you place pre orders with false advertising, and now you won't get back your money they technically stole. We commonly know ploys like this as "Scams." Expand
  67. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A wonderful game, up until the ending (played through all of the possible endings, 6k+ EMS, max reputation, etc). I would have given this game a 10 up until about 90 percent of the way through when the overall feel switched from "We're going to defeat the Reapers and save the galaxy and live happily after" to "I'm a tragic figure and we probably won't be coming back from this". I knew they were trying to turn shepard into a tragic figure via all the foreshadowing, but did Bioware really think that after hundreds of hours playing a hero, we would be okay with having them suddenly switching paradigms on us? The whole Matrix thing about choice was just a sad, shameful ripoff and felt like some really lazy writing. I don't think Bioware realizes how invested their players are into Shepard at this point of the game - I'm now willing to just write him off. The last 2.8 games and hundreds of hours of playtime have been focused on saving the galaxy from the Reapers and suddenly at the end, it's not really about them anymore - the paradigm shift needed to occur way earlier than in the last 5 minutes. At the end of ME1 and ME2 I felt happy, like a hero - my character had saved the galaxy... at the end of this one I just feel... sad... Not how I wanted my Shepard's story to end. Expand
  68. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't waste your money on this, wait a few weeks, it'll be in the stores used for $9.99. Some people are saying that the ending was great because in real life you have tough choices. I say bull. They need to realize this is a game. It's fantasy, that's why we play it. If I want real life, I'll go ride my Harley, go sailing or argue with my wife. That's not what I want in a game. i'm trying to get away from real life for a while and pretend life is perfect. Bioware (or should I say EA) should have spent more time on multiple endings. that way everyone could have had what they wanted. I wanted the perfect ending after all the time i put in Mass 1 and 2. I was also unhappy about how easy it was to start losing everyone you had went through the first 2 games with. Halfway through i had already lost Mordin, Asley and Tali. no matter how many times I went back, i couldn't save them. they say it has sonething to do with the first 2 games, although I always saved everyone and had a relasionship with Tali.Of course that was over now, as she was now a pile of broken bones and flesh..I won't say much about the ending, as it has been covered pretty good already here. I really liked Dragon age Origins. Probably my favorite game of all time.(that was before EA got into the picture) Did dragons really exist in real life?, NO, Do happy endings exist in real life all the time, NO. But since this is a game and it's a fantasy world. I want my dragons and my happy ending. What were you thinking EA, Oh that's right, you weren't. I really feel the people giving this a 10 are either working for EA or are just so in love with EA, they have to give a great rating. Also, why are people so mad about the little gay scene. It's not like your being forced into any gay relationship. If ths bothers you, I would have to think your not sure about your sexuality. Me. I know i'm straight, so it doesn't bother me at all. Just say no. I like having relationships in the game, mine is with liara now, since Tali is smashed. why not let gays have their fun. I guess you just live in a world where everyone has to live to your standards or not at all. Expand
  69. Mar 10, 2012
    This game is absolutely AMAZING right up until the final 15 minutes or so. The end of the game is really a slap in the face to anyone who has stayed with the series from the beginning.

I am not saying this because I did not get the end that I wanted. I would have been perfectly fine with an ending in which everyone died - because at the very least that would have been a clear and well defined end. This series has always been defined and advertised as character driven. The player is encouraged to get invested in and attached to the characters in the Mass Effect universe. And yet the way this game ends is simply unacceptable. The ending gives very little understanding of exactly what happened, and the player is given very little to go on in terms of the fates of the characters.

I have never been one to write reviews or have strong opinions on games. I am not even one who typically gets attached to series the way I got attached to Mass Effect. But the way the end of the game seems like Bioware came up with it in maybe 10 minutes is, in my opinion, a betrayal of the fans.
  70. Mar 13, 2012
    I don't think that the ending of game is everything, but that one pissed me off. Game was nice, also big plus for dialogs. Most of characters was uniqe and outstanding. If BioWare create new ending, with pleasure i will play once more. But for now my rating is 1.
  71. Jul 7, 2012
    As a stand alone game, it was mediocre at best. As the 3rd installment in a trilogy, if failed in almost every way possible.
    Your character is no longer yours but a forced character by BW.
    Autodialog forces conversations in directions that go against the players choices. Boring, uninspired fetch quests inundate the game. Exceptionally linear in design, unlike the pseudo-free style of
    Your character is no longer yours but a forced character by BW.
    Boring, uninspired fetch quests inundate the game.
    Exceptionally linear in design, unlike the pseudo-free style of the previous games.
    Endings that nothing to smile about and everything to hate. Infused with massive, game breaking, space magic.
    Overall, a childish attempt at ending a trilogy. Not worth the purchase price.
  72. Mar 12, 2012
    I've really enjoyed the Mass Effect series, but this last one, the one that was suppose to be the big climax is one of the biggest letdowns of the year so far. It really seems like Bioware cut every corner that could be cut while trying to maximize the amount of revenue they could generate from their community, there's a heavy emphasis on the multiplayer aspect of the game which actuallyI've really enjoyed the Mass Effect series, but this last one, the one that was suppose to be the big climax is one of the biggest letdowns of the year so far. It really seems like Bioware cut every corner that could be cut while trying to maximize the amount of revenue they could generate from their community, there's a heavy emphasis on the multiplayer aspect of the game which actually does greatly hinder your effort to try and get a good ending out of this game. It really doesn't help that the entire multiplayer part is designed to be a complete grind short of spending actual money to buy packs to enhance their characters. Disregarding MP the single player is rife with issues, mostly related to the terrible attention to detail, characters are poorly animated and "pop" and "spring" about unrealistically during dialog so often it becomes impossible to ignore, on the central hub of the game npcs in the background run back and forth to nowhere if they're animated at all, actors in the distance are nothing more than distorted 2 dimensional sprites or unskinned models that look more like cardboard cutouts or paper mache figurines than people. Cutscenes and dialog cannot be skipped making replay a major task for anyone who wants to see the hidden ending that requires finishing the game at least once. Attempts at continuity on Bioware's part are admirable and one of the highlights of the game, but it becomes lost in the mess of a plot, the impossibility of Earth holding out while Shepard gathers the forces of the galaxy is handwaved away and one of the main antagonists of the game winds up being a carbon copy of Mass Effect 1's villain. It also really doesn't help that Bioware decided to shift the focus of the plot right at the very last moment of the game to steal Deus Ex: Human Revolution's plot line and ending style, then expect the player to merely accept this without question. The endings are vague and unsatisfying, leaving any fan who has followed this series right from the very beginning to be extremely disappointed. Expand
  73. Mar 11, 2012
    While I loved the first two ME games, I just can't get behind the third.

While I loved the first two ME games, I just can't get behind the third.

It seems like for every positive change that has been made, 3 or 4 bad ones have been added as well. For example, while there is finally a good reason to play a soldier rather than an adept which in my opinion was by far the best class in the first two, there are now a few 'features' that I despise. Forced multiplayer is a massive disappointment to me. I know it can be argued that it's not actually forced since the game can be played from start to finish is true, but multiplayer having *any* effect on gameplay or story is a big disappointment. This game had absolutely no need to shoehorn in multiplayer, but it's now being billed as a 'feature'.

This leads nicely into my second complaint which is that this so called bonus in the form of multiplayer makes EA feel justified in charging for day one DLC in 'from ashes'. This makes me feel mugged that even after a preorder you can't get the whole darn game on launch day. I like how these days a preorder edition means you'll still need to buy an expansion pack on day one to have the whole game. My third gripe is this business with Origin being a requirement to play the game. The corporate shills at EA are setting up a competing service to steam, all right, fair enough but sleazy statements such as "We believe in absolute freedom of choice to allow customers to buy through whatever retail outlet... as long as they're buying an EA game, we're delighted," show they don't respect their customers when they turn around and pull their games from the most popular digital download services. EA claims they did this same thing with Crysis 2 because the DLC was not available for purchase on steam.... This ticks me off a lot since the DLC for ME2 was so well hidden I spent 45 minutes trying to buy 'the arrival' on their awful maze of websites that I *was glad* valve will now be forcing publishers to make DLC available through steam. I've had quite enough of EA's awful DLC distribution methods in the past and am not looking forward to finding out if this time will be any better.

So in summary - an allright game, seriously marred by both technical own goals (forcing extra software to be installed), sleazy marketing, greedy day one DLC, and a general aura of disrespect to the community.

I loved ME1 and ME2, but ME3 leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
  74. Mar 9, 2012
    I very much enjoyed playing Mass Effect 3. The story was was well fleshed out. I had a good amount of time spent with my teammates and mostly everyone I knew from the last two games. The gameplay was stellar. I have loved the Multiplayer and I'm one of the ones who thought "Bioware is on Crack" when I first heard about it. My LI (who was Garrus) had a great story. I'm very happy withI very much enjoyed playing Mass Effect 3. The story was was well fleshed out. I had a good amount of time spent with my teammates and mostly everyone I knew from the last two games. The gameplay was stellar. I have loved the Multiplayer and I'm one of the ones who thought "Bioware is on Crack" when I first heard about it. My LI (who was Garrus) had a great story. I'm very happy with the romance, it was so much more then I was expecting. The Narrative gave you a great feeling of "OMG can I do this" which is what I think they were going for. I did feel closer to my Shepard then in the first two games. I loved the updated character models compared to the last two games. I loved the new Default Femshep. Not including the ending I cried when my old teammates died. But they died in a way that their death was worth it, they had closure and I was proud of them. I thought the game was made so much more Epic this time around. I really did enjoy every facet of the game, until the end of course.

No matter how much I enjoyed it and how good it was the endings completely ruined my Mass Effecet 3 experience. The rest of the game was awesome. If the endings had made me feel just a little like a hero/savior, something to make me smile at the end then this would probably have been one of the best games I've ever played. If you ignore the endings ME3 really is a great accomplishment. When I finish a game I should have a great feeling of acomplishment. I should feel on top of the world. Even if there is a tragic ending with sacrifice I should feel that everything is going to be better. When I was finished with Mass Effect 3 I was hit with such a huge whammy of depression and unhappy that I still haven't recovered from it hours later. A game should never make you feel this way. I don't mind crying because something is sad. But if I cry it should be with the feeling of hope or "they did good". There was none of that when I finished Mass Effect 3.

1) I would have exposition explaining what happens with the citadel, relays, crew galaxy, races, etc. If Shep lives I would show he gets reunited with his/her LI. If he doesn't I would show Shep getting mourned. I would show the Normandy getting repaired and being picked up by the Alliance and Shep reuniting with his/her crew and LI.

2) I would have the Blue Ending be destorying the reapers ONLY along with the Citadel and the relays because a main paragon theme of Mass Effect series has been not using the reaper tech as a short cut. The galaxy has to develop on its own.

3) I would have the Red ending being controlling the reapers. Because one of the main renegade themes of the Mass Effect series has been about gaining power you cannot control. I would show that Shep becomes either the catalist, or some kind of Reaper AI. The Citadel and relays are damaged but they are still around. Maybe he uses the reapers to help the galaxy or mankind only

4) I like the idea of the green ending, its imaginative. I would like to keep it. I would still blow up the citadel and the relays with the green ending

5) I would give Shep a chance to live on each ending depending on your assets and reputation.

I think the endings are imaginative. I also think they go against the main themes of Mass Effect (controlling Reapers gaining unlimited power with the Reaper tech is a Renegade theme) (Destroying Reapers only and all their Tech to allow the galaxy to live on its own and develop on its own is a Paragon theme) and suddenly its switched at the end. I like the synthesis theme.

I can't stand the feeling that my crew, all the people I was fighting for that are still alive are doomed. Thats what I don't like. Yes the galaxy will recover in thousands of years, thats a given. But I want to know that the people, my crew, people I fought for that survived have hope of making a better life. The lack of exposition and the way things were presented leaves you with a sour feeling of despair. It is the lack of exposition for me. Also the stand off against TIM is so Saren 2.0. Please give us something different.

I would rather have the choice (since choice has always been a serious theme of Bioware) that if I work hard enough to make a perfect perfect ending then my Shepard gets a happy ending with their LI. Cause they have put some awesome work into making us fall in love with these characters. It gives me a reason to play a new game+.
  75. Mar 9, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 started out heads and shoulders above Mass Effect, and even better than Mass Effect 2, and threw it all away in the final five minutes. Bioware removed the parts that people really hated - specifically, probing planets - and 'exploration' in a much less tedious way. The writing for the majority of the game was exceptional, they created a real sense of desperation, and theyMass Effect 3 started out heads and shoulders above Mass Effect, and even better than Mass Effect 2, and threw it all away in the final five minutes. Bioware removed the parts that people really hated - specifically, probing planets - and 'exploration' in a much less tedious way. The writing for the majority of the game was exceptional, they created a real sense of desperation, and they even made a lot of people cry in a few places. Unfortunately, it turns out that not only is multiplayer play REQUIRED in order to get the best ending, despite Bioware's promises, but the possible endings are all absolutely terrible, both in the the choices available and in the dialogue in the very final scene before you make that choice. Unfortunately, it really comes down to a deus ex machina, which is never acceptable in modern stories. If I could ignore the ending, i'd give the game 10/10, but the ending is SO terrible and disjointed that it utterly ruins the experience. Expand
  76. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all: the actual game isn't too bad, a bit too not-involving compared to ME1 and ME2, and the story generally is good (the Quarian-Geth story was great). The very limited options in conversations, the endless overhear-a-conversation-and-fetch-whatever quests, the squadmates uselessness in combat... It's somewhat annoying but not gamebreaking. The fact that Cerberus by defualt is the corrupted-bad-guys-beyond-salvation just feels forced... Even if you actually help Cerberus at every point in ME2, you have no influence over them in ME3. That's pretty crap.

And then cometh the endings. Honestly, what the actual **** I feel violated. Badly. That the game would end like this, some pathetically copied Deus Ex-style endings? It doesn't work. Not to mention that the endings also makes it feel that every decision you made in ME1 and ME2... Didn't matter. At all. Complete waste.

I don't know what exactly they were thinking with those endings, and I'll probably never know, but up until the endings I would've rated the game 7.5/10 or so... But after the endings? They lose more than 5 points only at that. The **** forced endings completely destroys the game experience.

We can also add that with the absence of any loyalty missions and the utter lack of conversation with conversation options makes the game feel very short. It could been done better, and especially, it could have been done to be longer. I feel pretty sad to have to write a review like this, but... Bioware screwed completely here.
  77. Mar 10, 2012
    What was there of the game to "play" was comparable to ME2, but the actual play time seemed few and far between and the endings were the worst thing I have ever seen. Really and truly awful. I was already unhappy about requiring Origin, but those endings have finished any good will I had for Bioware or EA. Whoever wrote or approved that crap should be ashamed. Ruined what was otherwiseWhat was there of the game to "play" was comparable to ME2, but the actual play time seemed few and far between and the endings were the worst thing I have ever seen. Really and truly awful. I was already unhappy about requiring Origin, but those endings have finished any good will I had for Bioware or EA. Whoever wrote or approved that crap should be ashamed. Ruined what was otherwise one of my favorite sci-fi game series of all time. Expand
  78. Mar 11, 2012
    ME3... Gears of War in Mass Effect universe. I did love Mass Effect 2, played it so many times. ME3, I do not even want to finish it once. Disappointment on all the levels - quite shocking how can one mess such a great title.
  79. Mar 11, 2012
    The **** part in all trilogy, with pathetic cutscenes, completely idiotic story and the worst ending in the history of vidya. I ll beat the **** out of all this 10/10 morons, who were paid by EA, as soon as i ll be released from jail. Burn in hell, bioware, burn in hell, EA.
  80. Mar 11, 2012
    Overall very disappointing. Fails to combine FPS and RPG as well as previous titles and I feel while playing that there is no true direction or motivation. Most of the chat options provide a false sense of choice as the options have little to do with what Shepard will say. Generally any "oh I can do something here" options tend to have Shepard back off and remain on the linear story lineOverall very disappointing. Fails to combine FPS and RPG as well as previous titles and I feel while playing that there is no true direction or motivation. Most of the chat options provide a false sense of choice as the options have little to do with what Shepard will say. Generally any "oh I can do something here" options tend to have Shepard back off and remain on the linear story line laid forth by the developers. Graphics are subpar and look reminiscent of Mass Effect 2. Bugs out the ass with regards to graphics and in some aspects of gameplay. Lots of upgrades and other things to waste player time and seem to take from the gameplay experience rather than give to it. I got about 30% through the game and lost all interest in it. Expand
  81. Mar 12, 2012
    I love Mass Effect. I loved Mass Effect 2. Arguably some of the best games I've ever played in my life. I won't go into detail.

I even loved Mass Effect 3. It was an epic tale that even made me choke up at certain points. I've never had such an emotional response from a game. Then there was the ending. It wasn't because Shepard dies (although it would be nice if he lived). It was because

Then there was the ending. It wasn't because Shepard dies (although it would be nice if he lived). It was because it made no sense. The game feels dumbed down. Deus Ex Machina stolen crappy ending that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. No thought from the developers and writers. I can't even restart the series again because of this. I'll never play a Bioware game again. Mass Effect died with the release of ME3. Bioware sold out to EA. If you played Mass Effect 1 and 2, stay away from this game. You'll regret playing it.
  82. Mar 12, 2012
    Beautifully written game up until the last 5 minutes. If you do decide to play, just stop playing before the final cutscene. The ending completely ruined the game for me.
  83. Mar 12, 2012
    What can i say that it was not already been said ?
    What can i say that it was not already been said ?
    I was disappointed with so many things in that game : the Beginning how did they arrest me ? i was able to destroy the Collector base and survive but been caught by these incompetents that didn't not even care to listen and help ?, not able to recruit again my last crew for some lazy excuses, quest journal so incomplete, the various dialogues options and the lack of them, and the endings...
    The Bioware games are less and less attractive than it was before...
  84. Mar 12, 2012
    Would have given a 9 or 10 if not for the final 5 min. The shockingly nonsensical ending really did make the whole experience a negative. The promises made about this game and it's endings, as well as the precedent that the Mass Effect 2 set in terms of choice in the ending, were not executed with the quality one would expect (or at all).
  85. Mar 15, 2012
    I actually find myself disagreeing with many of the reviewers here: the bulk of the game was rock solid storytelling, filled with the harsh choices and consequences you have come to expect from Mass Effect. The story ventured into emotionally wrenching territory more times than I can count, even several times with NPC -to-NPC dialogue. If you hear two characters talking, keep leaving andI actually find myself disagreeing with many of the reviewers here: the bulk of the game was rock solid storytelling, filled with the harsh choices and consequences you have come to expect from Mass Effect. The story ventured into emotionally wrenching territory more times than I can count, even several times with NPC -to-NPC dialogue. If you hear two characters talking, keep leaving and coming back until you hear their whole story and then google it if you still don't get it, you won't be disappointed. The character-driven subplots have fitting, satisfying endings that never fail to bring a tear to one's eye (the emotion represented by the tear changes).

HOWEVER, bioware tried to be clever with the ending and failed more completely than I ever would have imagined possible. I always feared a trite ending, but what ME3 contains is far worse. Not "worse" as in "dark", "worse" as in "doesn't achieve any goal which an ending might be expected to achieve" and "makes a mockery of the entire series". An ending is supposed to bring a certain amount of closure, it's supposed to be the culmination of decisions made throughout the story (in ME's case, choices you get to make). ME3's ending HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE CONSEQUENCES OF THE CHARACTER'S ACTIONS (well, you can choose between 3 nearly identical endings, but the choices I'm referring to are the ones you made over the entire series). Parts of the ending make little to no sense (in order to make sense of them you have to inject MAJOR plot points that AFFECT the story) or simply yell "hah, nothing you did mattered" in your face. We were promised differently (explicitly, several times). BioWare, what were you thinking?!?!?!
  86. Mar 15, 2012
    Fantastic game in almost all senses of the word. Great story, great characters, great gameplay, but then it all gets ruined by an awful ending. I mean bad. If you do buy it, stop it right after Shepard talks to his crew before the final push and don't go further.
  87. Mar 16, 2012
    When I see all these glowing reviews by game websites giving it nigh perfect scores, its glaringly obvious that their integrity and objectivity is compromised. In fact its almost comical how much the websites try and cover for its flaws. My favorite was one where they condemned bioware changing the endings because "oh its art you'll ruin it by changing the ending." I like to think that ifWhen I see all these glowing reviews by game websites giving it nigh perfect scores, its glaringly obvious that their integrity and objectivity is compromised. In fact its almost comical how much the websites try and cover for its flaws. My favorite was one where they condemned bioware changing the endings because "oh its art you'll ruin it by changing the ending." I like to think that if somehow a 6 year old drew a big turd on the Mona Lisa, the museum would do everything it could to restore the painting by TAKING OUT THE BIG TURD ON IT. What they are really praising isn't the game it is the amount of money they received in advertising from the game's publisher. Mass Effect 3's ending (because its really only one) is a slap in the face, a total disgrace to the brand. Whoever the lead writer was for the ending, and whoever gave the okay for that crap needs to be fired. Furthermore I've never encountered an ending that made me hope for a cliched "It was all a dream" sequence as much as this one. This ending is so poorly put together it is on par with the likes of Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions, wer're talking total plot and lore breakdown. The final offense was the after credit sequence which just adds insult to injury. The only person that could of made a poorer ending was George Lucas. Expand
  88. Mar 23, 2012
    You heard it was bad but its worse. Much worse, there are bad games and then there is what EA did to bioware just releasing garbage. Dragonage2 was garbage SWTOR was garbage and ME3 is complete garbage.
  89. Apr 6, 2012
    The game was an awesome ride right up until thessia after this point the whole game feels rushed, especially the ending, for this reason I'm giving it a 0, as the ending undermines everything you done across all games.
  90. Aug 1, 2012
    I gave the low score to this game because it is not a quality game, it is just a cheap knock off mash up of RPG and 3rd person shooter. Ending story was good except you didn't have any choice, but why complaint, the choice was always just an illusion in this game. You choose something, watch different cinematic and then the game just goes on through the same small linear levels with theI gave the low score to this game because it is not a quality game, it is just a cheap knock off mash up of RPG and 3rd person shooter. Ending story was good except you didn't have any choice, but why complaint, the choice was always just an illusion in this game. You choose something, watch different cinematic and then the game just goes on through the same small linear levels with the repeating boring enemies. There is nothing epic about this game. Mass Effect 3 is just an outdated game with super claustrophobic linear level design with one very very small quest hub called Citadel. There is not much to explore and if you do you just rewarded with missions to defend from the waves of enemies. It is not a triple AAA title if you measure it based on the gameplay, Mass Effect 3 world feels dead and empty, this is a below average game except for a few dialogs. And I bet if it wasn't for Bioware brand on the box it would receive critic average score of 3 out 10 here on metacritic. Next time I will only buy Bioware game if it will receive 800 out of 10 here on metacritic. Expand
  91. Mar 18, 2012
    Probably the worst ending to a video game series I've ever seen. What happens in the last 15 or so minutes completely contradicts the previous ~150 hours of gameplay for all three games.
  92. Apr 11, 2012
    Wow, Bioware turned my favorite RPG series of all time down to a Gears-of-War-type sci-fi shooter. I'll admit, the combat is 100% better. But Bioware has changed the formula from what made us all love the first two Mass Effect games. The conversations with NPCs were the best part of the first two games -- now they aren't much more than cutscenes. In Mass Effect 3, instead of feelingWow, Bioware turned my favorite RPG series of all time down to a Gears-of-War-type sci-fi shooter. I'll admit, the combat is 100% better. But Bioware has changed the formula from what made us all love the first two Mass Effect games. The conversations with NPCs were the best part of the first two games -- now they aren't much more than cutscenes. In Mass Effect 3, instead of feeling like you are actually conversing with NPCs, you merely watch Shepard talking to them. Its so frustrating to see "my" Shepard get turned into a cookie-cutter gaming action hero. You get a couple of options every now and then, which I'm not sure even cause differences in the dialog. Contrast this to the first two games, where Shepard didn't say anything without you telling him what to say, and those conversation choices made it feel like you were actually making a difference. Bioware tries really hard to make every cutscene (of which there are way too many) super epic and emotional. It turns out most are just really corny. Its a lot like Gears of War, which I enjoyed. But I'm not looking for Gears of War here, I'm looking for Mass Effect!

It makes me really sad that somehow, Bioware just isn't the studio they used to be. I feel like they are trying to just appease 8 year olds that just want to play to blow things up.

I makes me more sad that I can't REALLY continue the amazing experience that was Mass Effect 2. Its their same Dragon Age II mistake, all over again.
  93. Mar 11, 2012
    If this was a stand alone game, no one would care. But fact of the matter is, it's the conclusion of an epic trilogy, and it just fails. The ending is SO BAD it actually retroactively makes ME1 and ME2 worse. It is now a spectacle show like MW3, BF3, GoW3 and so on. It's a cash cow. And for a series like Mass Effect, we - the fans - expected more. But no. Bioware is dead. It was a funIf this was a stand alone game, no one would care. But fact of the matter is, it's the conclusion of an epic trilogy, and it just fails. The ending is SO BAD it actually retroactively makes ME1 and ME2 worse. It is now a spectacle show like MW3, BF3, GoW3 and so on. It's a cash cow. And for a series like Mass Effect, we - the fans - expected more. But no. Bioware is dead. It was a fun ride, we will try to remember you for what you were, not like you are now with ME3 and DA2.

From Ashes is SUCH an important story for all ME fans, it should have been included with all new versions of the game. It's now clearly a case of "lets make as much money we can from this series before we kill it".

And it was killed. Hard. The ending of ME3 is probably the worst in any game ever. It could and should have been so good. But it sucks so much. The people that made ME1 and ME2 can not have seen this, they would not have allowed it.
  94. Mar 11, 2012
    This game was great. Story, companions, quests... everything! Until the last 15-20 minutes. Ending destroyed all of our achievements... All our choices from ME 1 & 2 resulted in this? How can that be even possible??? My last hope is that you intentionally did such an ending and we will see something "interesting" soon... sigh
  95. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm a huge fan of the first Mass Effect and enjoyed the second almost as much. That being said I am massively let down and overall unsatisfied with this game. It didn't really improve on anything as far as gameplay goes, it essentially the same as ME2. I felt like the exploration was reduced and the game felts incredibly short (18 hours logged on my first complete playtrhough).

The story was, overall, good. I enjoyed several of the mission sequences and the dialogue was what I was expecting and hoping for. Until the ending. I'm having trouble finding words to describe my disappointment and unhappiness. The ending alone was C-rate at best. I felt no closure to the story (which may have been intentional with EA/Bioware's new view of DLC) and felt like a complete asspull by Bioware.

But hey, there's choices right? Maybe the ending I choose was crummy but I'm sure the other two are better. Spoiler alert, there is only one ending. The cutscene might look a little different and the dialogue might change a bit but there's still one outcome. Everybody dies. The Mass Relays are destroyed. The cycle is broken and the Reapers are gone. The End. Never before has a video game left such a bad taste in my mouth.
  96. Mar 12, 2012
    If Bioware hadn't rushed this out, and put in a proper ending, then I wouldn't have created an account just to voice my displeasure. As it stands, Bioware destroyed several hundred hours worth of enjoyment in all of thirty minutes. They took a series that has, from the beginning, been grounded in enjoyable science fiction, our choices having impact, and a powerful main character thatIf Bioware hadn't rushed this out, and put in a proper ending, then I wouldn't have created an account just to voice my displeasure. As it stands, Bioware destroyed several hundred hours worth of enjoyment in all of thirty minutes. They took a series that has, from the beginning, been grounded in enjoyable science fiction, our choices having impact, and a powerful main character that consistently defied the odds... Then they turned said main character into a braindamaged invalid unable to question orders of a random star-child-god-thing. They removed any actual choice, as in the end each ending is just the same thing with different colors. Science fiction went out the window for random crystal-crazy metaphysics and some omnipotent star-child.

First Dragon Age 2. Then issues with TOR. Now, issues with a finale I have been waiting years for. No, I don't think I'll be buying anything from Bioware again. They can talk all they want about EA not having changed them... But there's been a lot of bad since they came along.
  97. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just finished this and.... wow just wow. I mean all right, the game didn't have the best story and also had those crappy dream sequences, but it was fairly okay(not good though).... until that DAMN ending and three "choose your bad ending/death" choices! Why the heck nothing we do during the game(and the previous ones) matters? Why the relays exploding doesn't destroy their solar systems? Why is the Normandy mid-jump when this is happening and how is that sequence even possible since the jump is almost instant? Shouldn't the Normandy be fighting above Earth? And how the **** do your squad mates especially those that were with you till the end find themselves on the Normandy? I mean there are a lot of annoying gameplay decisions that I could describe but the ending is SO crap and with so many plot holes and questions, that it takes the cake for most disappointing aspect of the game. It's like seriously, I know fanfiction better than this! Expand
  98. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Was the best game I had ever played... Until you get hit by a Reaper before making it to the beam of light that sends you to the end. That was such a bad ending it made me physically sick and depressed.

I had not even started playing the Mass effect till Jan. of this year. Seriously what where they thinking. Three choices that did not even make sense to the character I had played through these three games. He was a hero. Made the Quarians and Geth finally reach peace. The Turians and Krogans had forged an alliance with the end of the Genophage. Then you find out no matter all the work you put into the game. All the side quests, every extra thing you do to prepare, does not even show in game except an nice little screen saying you had done it, this is your army you have amassed, congrats.

Then with the ending. Plot holes, no closure. Wrex is stuck on earth, does not get to see his first born. Grunt is stuck on earth. Did he survive? Will the Wrex being the leader and curing the genophage been a lasting peace if you did it right had not everything been blown? Tali not being able to return to her home world with her fleet. Joker and EDI, something else should of happened to them. Ashley, what about her and Shepard? Jacob and his new family and did they make it? Garrus does he make it home and rebuild as well as his father and sister, what of them? Liara, does she make it home and rebuild, what about her being a shadow broker? What of James? What of Hackett? The fleet? Thanes son? Commander Bailey? Traynor? That news woman? So many unknowns. Every bit the most dissatisfying ending I have ever seen. Ever.

I feel bad for the gamers and followers that have been with Mass Effect for the past 5 years only to have a fist shoved into their gut.
  99. Dev
    Mar 12, 2012
    I am truly disappointed with this game. I loved the mass effect series, and was looking forward to this game for some time. The conclusion of this game makes absolutely no logical sense. This ending has not only ruined the re-playability of this series it also ruined all the time I spent on the mass effect series. I have no idea why bioware opted out like this but I feel cheated andI am truly disappointed with this game. I loved the mass effect series, and was looking forward to this game for some time. The conclusion of this game makes absolutely no logical sense. This ending has not only ruined the re-playability of this series it also ruined all the time I spent on the mass effect series. I have no idea why bioware opted out like this but I feel cheated and foolish for believing in them. Expand
  100. Mar 13, 2012
    When I look back at the mass effect trilogy, I really can't see it in a positive light anymore after the terrible ending. This is not about the actual details of the story, for that is Bioware's vision and they can do what they want with their own story. The real reason that this ending is so horrible, enough to ruin this game for me, is broken up into two main reasons. Without spoilers:When I look back at the mass effect trilogy, I really can't see it in a positive light anymore after the terrible ending. This is not about the actual details of the story, for that is Bioware's vision and they can do what they want with their own story. The real reason that this ending is so horrible, enough to ruin this game for me, is broken up into two main reasons. Without spoilers:

First, the ending does not provide any real closure. In my opinion, as the conclusion to a trilogy that many played 100+ hours of between the three games, ME3 really should at least provide an actual conclusion no matter how the story goes. Even just an epilogue of just text (Which would be really simple to do and something Bioware has done in many previous games) would be sufficient, but the fact that I left this "conclusion to the trilogy" with more question than I started with was really disappointing.
    (1 ending really))
    Finally, and most importantly, the main reason for the ending really ruining the series for me is that none of the choices from previous games matter. Mass effect has always been about having the player create their own story through a multitude of decisions and choices that are given to the player over the course of 100+ hours. This was a main strength of the series, and really drew many people to it. On top of that, the wonderful relationships the player makes with the many amazing(personality-filled) characters of the series just adds to the lasting appeal of Mass Effect. However, all of this is essentially thrown away with the ending, for none of those relationships and choices really mattered at all, which is BS and very disappointing. On top of this, there is essentially one ending, with the only differences really being superficial changes that mean very little. Overall, Mass effect 3 was the most disappointing game I have ever played because the story is basically ruined at,sadly, the very end. I am not denying the amazing moments this game has (I even felt like crying at one great scene) but the ending makes it not really matter(hence the low rating. With the story ruined it is hard to look back on ME3 with a positive light, for, lets be honest, the story is Mass effect's main appeal.

1. Apr 11, 2012