Mass Effect 3 PC

5.5

1. Mar 26, 2012
    More of the same nonsense. I never was a fan of the series finding the camera angles and character control system very annoying. It is pretty I will give it that but there its another one for the big fans of the ME series. Nothing to recommend it to someone who never thought it was anything but a good game if forced to play console games for a week. Did not meet my expectations.
  2. Mar 7, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a game science fiction game about Star Wars. You play as Captain John Luke Pircard but everybody calls you shepherd for some reason, and you have to kill the grim repars who want to kill everyone in the galaxy. you travel in your spaceship so you can shoot the reaper with your laser guns. One thing i didnt like is that you have to reload your gun because why would you haveMass Effect 3 is a game science fiction game about Star Wars. You play as Captain John Luke Pircard but everybody calls you shepherd for some reason, and you have to kill the grim repars who want to kill everyone in the galaxy. you travel in your spaceship so you can shoot the reaper with your laser guns. One thing i didnt like is that you have to reload your gun because why would you have to reload a laser gun? Overall this game was fun but I give it 6/10 because there are no lightsabers and the klingons look funny Expand
  3. Mar 15, 2012
    I have never been so disappointed in a game as I have been in Mass Effect 3. The story, for the most part, is well-constructed and engaging--essentially the kind of stuff you'd expect from BioWare.

But the ending? It's the epitome of a deus ex machina plot mechanic. It is random, incomplete, invalidates your choices throughout the entire series by throwing three incoherent and indeterminate "choices" at you and then nothing.

Everything you've done, everything you've looked forward to turned completely meaningless. The questions that need to be asked: Was this deliberately done by BioWare with the intention of selling post-launch "proper ending" DLC to us? In which case, it is a sorely underhanded sales tactic. Was this unintentional and the result of rushing to complete a game that they slapped an ending to it and hoped nobody would notice? In which case, shoddy development shows the true state of what BioWare has become.

Either way, the disappointment remains. The damage is done and for me, someone who used to laud the ground BioWare walked on, I will always be cautious of any and every BioWare game from now on. Clearly underhanded sales tactics is the norm these days.
  4. Mar 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 was a game that had such great potential, and in fact the majority of the game lived up to the expectations that I had for it. There were so many scenes that I was utterly amazed when watching. In the introduction when the reapers finally reach earth, and you stand by, helplessly watching earth decimated by these creatures that you worked so hard to warn the galaxy of. I literally felt devastated. But after playing through the whole game, and the whole series, slowly building up the anticipation of the final moment, possibly the final battle, you are shocked to find out that the ending falls completely flat of anything you had ever anticipated or hoped for. All those choices you made, ones that you had worked so hard for, were gone. Most of them were chalked up to raising your galactic readiness rating. Not only that, but a few of the choices that you made in the first and second games, you were forced into making them over again a second time, as if the choices you made in those games really didn't count. For instance, saving the rachni queen in the first game made little difference, because later you had to make the choice all over again. Another instance can be seen with the geth. In the second one, you are forced to decide to kill or save the geth, which ultimately made no difference (except for the galactic readiness rating), because again you were force to make the same choice a second time. This is not the only area where the decisions fall short. In the final moments of the third game you find that all those decisions combined had little to no effect on the actual ending of the game. There were a total of six endings possible, three for paragon, and three for renegade, but the difference in these endings were so minute, it was as if the choice was already made for you. It is hard to explain what I am feeling after watching the ending, I can only say that it just was not what I expected or had hoped for. It just did not fit with the game, and left me feeling unfulfilled. I find myself thinking back the ending of Lord of the Rings. You spend countless hours watching through the three movies, and when you reach the ending, it left you fulfilled, you felt happy, and at the same time, you felt that all was right with the world. The ending wrapped up all the loose ends. You saw what happened to the characters after the ring was destroyed, and when it was finally over, you knew that middle earth was finally at peace again. In short, the ending was epic; this was the kind of ending that I had hoped for in Mass Effect 3. A good fifteen to twenty to thirty minute ending, where all the characters are seen, and you know how things turn out for them, where the world is saved or destroyed, according to the decisions and actions you had made. Unfortunately this was not even close to what we got. There were a few other graphical problems/glitches that got annoying. Every time you go into the **** you had to be very careful, or the game would glitch out and you would be forced to reload to a previous save. Some of the dialogue was glitch. I remember having a conversation with Admiral Hackett at the end of the game, and he started to say something, but the game glitched and it skipped over that sentence entirely. Another thing that I had a problem with was the character Steve. I do not like how his issue with homosexuality was forced onto you; it was quite frankly rude, unnecessary, and annoying. Every time you talked to him, he had something to say about his boyfriend. It got to the point where I just did not want to talk to him anymore, because I didn't want to hear it. I felt alienated; like Bioware or EA was trying to make a statement, and make you believe that homosexuality is ok. Why? I don't want to be completely negative, because the game was amazing. It filled in a lot of the history of previous wars and whatnot, the customization and weapon selection was amazing (except for not having a heavy weapon). A majority of the cut scenes were phenomenal. The action and rpg/level up for the game exceeded that of the first and second game, and a majority of the conversations that you had with crew members were meaningful and informative. But the ending, along with some other problems, marred my image of the game, and the entire series as a whole. I just hope that Bioware gets it right the second time around. Expand
  5. Mar 31, 2012
    Game plays well. Some RPG elements came back, gameplay is smoother now. Multiplayer is kind of fun. Graphics are alright. Soundtrack could've been better. Voice acting is alright. Seems like everything's fine, right? Well, my biggest problem with this game is that Bioware promised all questions to be answered. Unfortunately, this game fails dramatically at explaining anything. Instead, inGame plays well. Some RPG elements came back, gameplay is smoother now. Multiplayer is kind of fun. Graphics are alright. Soundtrack could've been better. Voice acting is alright. Seems like everything's fine, right? Well, my biggest problem with this game is that Bioware promised all questions to be answered. Unfortunately, this game fails dramatically at explaining anything. Instead, in the end you'll have twice as many questions which do not seem to be answered in the near future. A very disappointing end to the trilogy. Expand
  6. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 1. Gameplay/Multiplayer
    Relatively solid gameplay, a few problems with have sprint dive and cover all done with 1 button, separate button to go into cover would have been a good idea imo. Enemies have generally all the same weakness as far as shot placements go (head) which is weak when you're dealing with a variety of different model types. Minigame of running from reapers in star systems is not well thought out and adds nothing to gameplay apart from frustration, shooting pyjaks in Tuchanka in ME2 had more gameplay.

Final battle has as much creativity as a normal level sequence although harder, it does not present the player with anything new whatsoever reusing existing enemies in greater number with no end boss at all. The whole final level regarding earth feels rushed and pieced together instead of a fluid experience.

Multiplayer is fun and a solid experience but adds very little to the game due to copied aspects of other games and the fact that microtransactions cheapen the whole experience, inspiring very little reason to play it over other games for MP purposes.
    Inclusion of MP required to advance single player goals is poorly done, feeling more like a tagged on afterthought than something that was built into the experience.

2. Level design, graphics and UI
    Interface works however is crippled by the clumsy mission log tracker which has no sorting and very little in the way of explanations/updates when you complete sidequests in particular which is problematic if you're completing several at the same time.

Graphics are decent however for pc version its obvious that it is a console port, making very little use of advanced hardware modern gaming computers offer. Repetitive use of assets in places that there should be more detail is an issue.

Levels are unique and fairly well thought out, offering different paths to take more often than just a single hallway to roam. Lack of exploring in the galaxy as a whole however cripples the RPG element of the game making it feel more like a first person shooter, even more so than ME2 which is disappointing.
    Having only one main commercial/mission hub is weak and repetitive given the galaxy wide travel that your character is engaging in.
    Some bugs involving characters exist and some characters models are poorly done or repetitive where they should not be, i should not find characters that look exactly like my crew members of the Normandy sitting around that actually are just copied random npcs.

3. Sound

Sounds/soundtrack are the strong point in the game which are plentiful and varied adding to immersion.
    Weapon types sound unique and appropriate for the type of weapon used.

Bugs and cut off conversations need to be addressed which happen sometimes to the point that you miss entire lines of dialogue without knowing it.

4. Story
    Story starts off weak and juvenile, blatantly trying to grip simple minded action players with big action scenes at the start which have no context or reason for the player character to truly care about what just happened which is huge from a story standpoint since earth is under a massive attack by enemy forces.
    At no point in any of the games do you visit earth and apparently your character has just been sitting around on earth for a while now, yet you don't get to explore or see what its like leaving the player disjointed from the whole attack scenario.
    Without getting into spoilers the lack of decent storyline scenarios involving your team members is frustrating given the precedent of the previous games.
    Storyline throughout the game is engaging and definitely the strong point of the game coupled with the awesome soundtrack to back it up, many defining moments throughout.

And now the big one

The ending level not only changes gameplay style of previous games but even of itself, leaving little to no choices in what Shepard does or can do, and then finally ends the series off on a note so sour that cripples not only this game but the series as a whole, sadly this lowers the score from a solid 8 to a 5 because of how unbelievably poorly thought out and presented it turns out to be.

Altogether the game is worth buying but not at current pricepoints (basically 70$ due to day 1 dlc for 10$ which is pretty much required for a complete experience)
    A half price sale would make you feel better about yourself.
  7. Mar 27, 2012
    Let me start by saying that Mass Effect 3 is a good game. Story is not as deep as previous titles of the franchise but you have really good moments. Unfortunately the ending is generic, short and fails to deliver any closure. It's a game that you don't feel like playing again once you finish it, because there's just one ending.
    Graphics are ok most of the time. There are some graphical
    Graphics are ok most of the time. There are some graphical glitches (like people looking to the roof while speaking to each other), but they are not game breaking.
    ME3 has the worst quest system of the franchise. The quest journal is annoying and quests are just variations of "retrieve artifact X from the Y system". The Reapers mini game is not cool at all and the scanning system from ME2 was dumbed down.
    Combat is really entertaining. There's some flaws (like using the spacebar to do a lot of different things), but the overall experience is really good.
    Multiplayer is a lot of fun. The only problem being the lack of maps to play.

Overall Mass Effect 3 is a really good game. Not a masterpiece but something worth playing.
  8. May 9, 2012
    don't buy this if you are a fan of the series. I waited off buying it, and finally gave in. I felt cheated that is all i can say. After Dragons age 2 and this I will not buy another Bioware game again.
  9. May 29, 2012
    If you've enjoyed this series the last 5 minutes of this game may infuriate you. As a capstone to a great franchise this game fails to deliver in the most important area: The end. This is the game that is supposed to bring the Mass Effect story to a close and leave us wanting more. It fails abysmally to deliver on this account.

The rest of the game however is epic, enjoyable and a

The rest of the game however is epic, enjoyable and a testament to what made this series so great, which further compounds the failure of the final chapter. Somehow in the entire series the worst writing has come at the end. Breaking basic tenets of storytelling in the last act is a sure way of losing the admiration of your fans.
  10. Jul 13, 2012
    As an honest gamer, I will keep this short and sweet: Mass Effect 3 was an exciting start to the "beginning of the end" for the series. While a lot of problems originated mostly from the ending and a few problems upon launch, the game itself is a remarkable experience. It does what it set out to do: And that was entertain as a cover-based, third-person RPG-shooter. While I disagree withAs an honest gamer, I will keep this short and sweet: Mass Effect 3 was an exciting start to the "beginning of the end" for the series. While a lot of problems originated mostly from the ending and a few problems upon launch, the game itself is a remarkable experience. It does what it set out to do: And that was entertain as a cover-based, third-person RPG-shooter. While I disagree with some of the choices made to the story, the game itself was the ending players wanted to Shepards story. And with the multiplayer experience shaping up to be an unforgettable experience (albeit some of the weapons are being fiddled with for no reason) as more and more content is being released free of charge. And to top it off, the Extended Cut is free DLC, allowing everyone to choose which endings they liked best. All in all, I'd say Mass Effect 3 earned it's place in history. Expand
  11. Jul 19, 2012
    After all that build up of epic choices with people dying and the Illusive Man fighting with Shepard and Anderson and then.... no end boss.... empty promises broken.... Was this really what you wanted to do with one of the best franchises of all time? Is this really your ending to Mass Effect Bioware? And with this "extended cut" dlc is just more **** taped onto the ending... With thatAfter all that build up of epic choices with people dying and the Illusive Man fighting with Shepard and Anderson and then.... no end boss.... empty promises broken.... Was this really what you wanted to do with one of the best franchises of all time? Is this really your ending to Mass Effect Bioware? And with this "extended cut" dlc is just more **** taped onto the ending... With that said... It was an amazing game all the way up to the ending with Casper and his stupid "choices." Oh how the mighty have fallen in this game. I just hope they do something to make it different change the ending maybe? Probably not but i had such high hopes for Bioware to show us the ending of Shepard's story and how he destroyed the Reapers. A big disappointment. The game was good the ending was terrible so i give this game a 7 the music, game play and story was really good all the way up till the tile floated up into the white and you woke up in front of the so called "catalyst." A solid game that could have been a perfect 10 if they just made the ending better. Expand
  12. Nov 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a person who's played both ME and ME2, I would have to say that this is a welcome addition to the trilogy. There are certainly flaws, but overall the plot is solid, the story is immersive and Bioware has really upped the maturity level. ME3 feels like a more mature, emotional game than ME and ME2 (not saying it's better). The various cutscenes of Shepard running through her dreams after the boy (although being goddamn annoying and slow) added a certain emotional depth. The dialogue is still brillaint, the romances are fun and seem realistic. I definitely liked the reoccurring characters who appear again from ME and ME2. Overall, solid game, great continuation of the story, great graphics. Expand
  13. Mar 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is a glorious middle bookended by a lame opening and a weak ending plagued by plot holes. People who say there's nothing wrong with the ending must not have been paying attention, because there's continuity errors you can fly Sovereign through. How did EDI go from being *in my party* on Earth onto the Normandy in the middle of the last battle? How did the Normandy get into the Mass Relay network to be ahead of the blast, during the last battle when they had no idea what the Crucible would do? It makes no sense. The ending itself is basically the same no matter what you did in the rest of the game at all, provided the green millitary bar was filled up enough. It turns out there's a God AI that's really doing all this, but didn't think of how to fix it until you showed up and is willing to let you doom all organic life to extinction if you want to. Why would it let you do that when it's been protecting organics for so long with the Reapers (protecting by destroying, yay!)? Makes no sense. It's a real shame because there's great stuff elsewhere in the game. The missions around Rannoch are awesome and some of the best in the franchise. That makes it hard to rate this game. Do you ignore the problems with the ending like the critics mostly did? Do you rate it into the ground like most of the users are doing? I'm trying to balance it off because I had 33 hours of fun along with the bad at the end, so I'm docking 2 points for that and another one for the lame opening with a kid that was thrown in as a ham-fisted attempt to add impact. Expand
  14. Apr 16, 2012
    Graphics: 8.5/10
    There's nothing that new to see here. The graphics are top notch, but the engine is the same that made the rest of the series. Gameplay: 8/10
    If you enjoyed the other mass effect titles then this won't disappoint. The scan for minerals system is gone, which in my opinion is nice. Story: 7/10 Mass Effect 3 tries to take on completing a very diverse story, and does a pretty
    Graphics: 8.5/10
    Mass Effect 3 tries to take on completing a very diverse story, and does a pretty good job of it. Sound: 8/10
    Many of the same interludes from the previous games are recycled throughout (galaxy map, etc). The main score is very good though.

Overall: 7/10
    Mass Effect 3 straight out of the box (not the collectors edition) is purposefully incomplete with the hope of making money off DLC. Day zero DLC, along with certain areas in the game that seem lacking will make you appreciate how complete other games by bioware are. This game is worth buying in my opinion, but it might be a better idea to hold out until the all inclusive edition comes out. This games got a lot of minor bugs to be worked out as well (no crashes, just little things like missing dialogue and graphic glitches.) All in all a little bit of a disappointment, but it will probably wind up being amazing when it is actually sold in its entirety (instead of its purposefully amputated form).
  15. Mar 14, 2012
    For me is playing ME playing in an interactive movie. This is what i expect and this is what i got. The story is so well written that during the game the main story effected my decisions drastically. Where i normally choose for a peaceful and "good" solution, now i did not hesitate to do evil just for the greater good. ME3 had convinced me that the menace of the reapers was so immense thatFor me is playing ME playing in an interactive movie. This is what i expect and this is what i got. The story is so well written that during the game the main story effected my decisions drastically. Where i normally choose for a peaceful and "good" solution, now i did not hesitate to do evil just for the greater good. ME3 had convinced me that the menace of the reapers was so immense that i decided to eliminate entire species. The convinced threat made me decide to even shoot a friend and old teammate in the back just for the greater good. This convinced me that even in real life there is a devil in everybody if the circumstances are that way. The story is so great that you expect a grand final. You live up to this moment. I even cancelled all my appointments when i started the last and final chapter. This was it. I made some terrible decisions just to get ready for this moment. My expectations of this end was huge. ... Then i started to play the final mission. It started good but after a while the story ended in a way i totally not expected. Suddenly i had a choice of 3 options where non of them where satisfying referring to the epic intro of the first missions. It felt like there was no more budget to end this game properly. When i tell bedtime story's to my children and i want to finish it fast i say in dutch: dan een olifant met een dikke snuit blaast het verhaaltje uit. In english this means "then an elephant comes with a big snout and blows away the story". I had the exact same feeling with this end. It felt like there was no more time to end it properly. The gap between the high expectations before the last mission and the final end was so big for me, that i had the same emotions like most of the people who graded this game here. I was so disappointed. I could not believe that such a good story and overall game(s) ended this way. It took me a few days of setting aside my disappointment to look at the game objectively. This all says 2 things in my opinion. ME 3 is such a good game with a great story, it moves you and makes you think about real life decisions. However, because this game is so good you expect something extraordinary for a final. And in this last part i think ME3 completely failed. This effects the overall opinion of the game so much that most of the loyal fans of ME judge the game so badly. Just because of this bad ( or to psychologically difficult) ending.

I probably graded ME3 with a 2 or 3 myself the first days, now i think ME3 is a victim of its own quality. If you are good, there is no place for errors. At least not if this magnitude.
  16. Mar 10, 2012
    1. of all - > I enjoyed every single game you made from Mass Effect series. 2. - > When i heard you were importing multiplayer into ME3 i thought "what the hell, could be fun, but i hope SP stays as good as it was, maybe even better since it was "final game" of the franchise", but i was wrong. 3. [spoiler] - > when i saw that ending i was like "WAT". i spent 2 days 0-24 hours1. of all - > I enjoyed every single game you made from Mass Effect series. 2. - > When i heard you were importing multiplayer into ME3 i thought "what the hell, could be fun, but i hope SP stays as good as it was, maybe even better since it was "final game" of the franchise", but i was wrong. 3. [spoiler] - > when i saw that ending i was like "WAT". i spent 2 days 0-24 hours playin' the game,
    to be sincese i actually enjoyed that, killed some **** followed illusive man over the galaxy, collected defense for citadel, fleeets over the galaxy etc... got it all done. green bar max. and then i get like useless ending that didn't mean **** are you **** kiddin me BIOWARE?
    even if you don't really know it, you let a LOT, like few million people down with that ending. i was unsatisfied 2 days and i felt like **** for 2 days because i didn't get a proper ending. yes, i'm not gonna buy any game that your **** company makes. ever. i watched youtube like 3 times how ME2 ended. it was in a way spectacularl. yes it was good, awesome. but here in this game... REALLY?
    so as i said i wasted 40H of playin or less to get all the war assets and **** and in the end it doesn't mean anything. DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING. REALLY? also when you finish it.... you don't feel any satisfaction at all... whole galaxy lost it's way of traveling... really? what? what?
    i'm still dazzled by that ending. totally useless and dumb. i feel like there's been a stop on game development. yes i know how it probably is. EA sets the date = 9.3.2012. game has to go out in sale. you were doing a nice job up to a month before. and then you probably saw = no more time = let's end the game as ****tiest as we can. = dumb end = dumb game. i'm telling you, game without a good ending = bad ending. i'd give a game 6 / 10, if last 5 mins weren't last 5 mins and you let one more mission in there (like say, running around the citadel, chasing illusive man, last fight with him etc..) and then that boy **** you came up with, with normal ending and satisfying animation = i'd give your game 9/10. jsut because ending would be epic = saviiour of the galaxy, also it would be emotional if you gave your life to save the galaxy, but not the way this crap of game ended. it's just hooooooorrrrriiiiiiibleeeeee. horrrible. i'm also not gonna say how much you **** up dialogues, check'd me1 and me3. heaven and earth. me1 - > lost of talking, choices everywhere, could be even better - > me 3 = yes - no, **** s**** **** horrible again. but i can't say everything is bad. i can see combat improved, yes, i'm glad it did, still not enough different enemies, saw more in me1 or me2. could have been better. you see BIOWARE ... you made 3 games where you made like 5 000 000 people who play ME series attach to the character, and expect them to give them emotionally satisfying end where you feel like a hero who saved galaxy. but you gain **** and don't feel **** it's just ****.
    and that animation? joker and 2 characters on some planet... WAT? what's that supposed to be? i'm really dissapointed into this. i REALLY REALLY HOPE that you will make DLC for i'd buy it anyway 10- bucks or so - which would add next things:
    1. - satisfying ending (citadel doesn't explode, reapers die, shepard dies, energy beam goes over mass relays throught galaxy and destroys reapers, but mass relays stay intact) (in this ther'es like whole fleet of turians, krogans, salarians and other battlecruiser ships near earth.. how would they go back? really? )

2. - another citadel mission where you chase illusive man, and fight him (he's supposed to be stronger then kai leng) and implanted with lots of implants.

3. more more more more more dialogue options.

4. add use of that war assets on citadel that you looked up for. 5. add more stuff to find, check, more systems. 6. CHECK 1 aGAIN! i was really disappointed in the end, and i hope if there is ever mass effect 4 or some dlc that you won't be interrupted by EA games's RELEASE DATES. because i know how it is. we would RATHER BUY A GOOD GAME, then a half product that was rushed because your publisher said so. **** PUBLISHERS and give us a good game, it's gonna bring you money.
  17. May 20, 2012
    It's an OK game on its own, but easily the worst of all three games. The models look terrible and the animations are clumsy (why do they keep rolling their eyes all the way up?). It just feels cheap compared to ME1 and ME2.

And yes, the ending. The ending is something else. And by something else I mean horrible.
  18. Mar 17, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is promoted by its publisher as a shooter game,while Mass Effect 1 was promoted as an RPG.Many RPG elements are absent in this game,and any improvement done is on the battle/shooter department.That was something I didn't liked,as I also didn't liked the fact that the actual places you can visit are fewer,the actual dialogues you can have with people are fewer,and the gameplayMass Effect 3 is promoted by its publisher as a shooter game,while Mass Effect 1 was promoted as an RPG.Many RPG elements are absent in this game,and any improvement done is on the battle/shooter department.That was something I didn't liked,as I also didn't liked the fact that the actual places you can visit are fewer,the actual dialogues you can have with people are fewer,and the gameplay variety of this game is also shorter.While ME3 is the most linear of all the games in the series,it was bearable enough up until the end.I didn't had enough fun as I had with ME1 and ME2 while playing ME3,because many elements that I liked from past games were absent or in very short quantities in this one.
    While the actual battles aren't as predictable and annoying as in past game of the series,the fact that most quests in this game have battles tacked on gets them repeatitive and boring after an amount of time,and I ended up feeling that the game's gameplay was a chore I had to do just to see what happens in the end.So I played it up until the end expecting a great finale and to see how the game would evaluate my decisions and gameplay,by seeing what kind of ending I would get.
    The ending wasn't what I expected.I could deal with a not so happy ending,but this goes beyond that.
    The game ends without showing me what happened to the main characters of the plot and the universe. I didn't saw anybody's reactions to the decision the main protagonist,Shepard took. I didn't saw how their lives changed,what happened in anybody's life after the final event of the story.The game ends in a way that makes whatever Shepard accomplished in all 3 games to be rendered absolutely useless,and the player is left to wonder if it was even worth it taking all these decisions or not,and eventually destroying the Reapers or not,and actually if it was even worth it doing all that things that happened,and playing through 3 games to achieve them.
    I can't say I enjoyed or had fun with this game as with the rest of the series.
    Mass Effect 1 was like finding an airport full of various airplane models you could fly and got me all excited.Mass Effect 2 was like a lift off,like actually flying one of those planes,and it drove my enthusiasm to the hights of the skies.Mass Effect 3 was the landing,and a rough one where you realise that something went wrong,and you get to smash on to the ground with your face.
    While as a series it was one of my best ever until before ME3,I decided that the best thing to do is to forget ME3 ever existed.Shepard's story closes with the worst possible way it could close.Everything turns out to be futile,and the universe I loved so much by playing the first two games of the series got damaged so bad,it wouldn't make sense to make a new game with it.In the last minutes of this game Bioware destroyed every reason I had to do whatever I was doing in the games of the series,which also devastated any replay value the whole trilogy could have,by killing the motives a player might had to replay these games.This is sad.Sadder than the actual ending.
  19. Mar 18, 2012
    The good:
    1. Combat improvements:
    The good:
    1. Combat improvements:
    There's a lot to be said about the addition of the roll and what it does for the combat in this game. Suffice it to say, it's a great feature. The (re)addition of many RPG elements like a much wider array of weaponry coupled with the upgrade system is very welcome as well and with the expanded skill trees and the weight vs power recharge system gives you a significantly improved experience with the games shooter bits.
    2. The writing: It's very strong at points. Bioware delves into a broader array of subjects than we're generally used to from them, like PTSD, the psychological strain of war and it's impact on not only those who fight it, but everyone else who suffers from it as well. Personal and mass tragedy is very prominent in the writing and handled quite well. Sadly, they do pull a few punches at times, but not enough to ruin the rest.
    3. The length: It's not a short game. Perhaps not quite as large as ME2 if you factor in all the DLCs, but still definitely worth the 60 dollar pricetag in sheer gameplay hours.

The bad:
    1. Day one DLC: There's been enough uproar about this already, and frankly it's deserved, so I wont dwell on it too much.
    2. Reduced companion interaction: Unfortunately you do not truly get to interact with your companions as much as you'd like. You rarely get actual dialog wheel conversations with them and there are no companion side-missions. This is not as much of an issue with returning characters as it is with new ones, but it would have been nice to have a little more dialog-tree conversations for companions.
    3. The ending: A lot of adjectives have been applied to it already. I personally think "awful", "horrible" and so on are a bit of an exaggeration, but the truth is, it's far from good. Somewhere between disappointing and confusing is where I'd put it. The strangest thing about it is, Bioware have excellent writers as evidenced by the majority of the rest of the game. It simply defies belief that they did not understand this ending would not go over well, to put it mildly. The only explanation I can think of is that they're going to sell us a proper finish to the trilogy for 10 bucks.
  20. Mar 13, 2012
    The Good: Character interaction, fun combat, enjoyable story (until the end), stable game, very quick loading.

The Bad: Low resolution textures, No FOV slider, No Xbox 360 controller support, Day one DLC. I enjoyed playing the game, until the awful ending. Basically all the difficult choices you made in ME 1 & 2 do not impact how the third game ends. As if this wasn't bad enough, when

I enjoyed playing the game, until the awful ending. Basically all the difficult choices you made in ME 1 & 2 do not impact how the third game ends. As if this wasn't bad enough, when you've watched the credits a cheeky message appears saying you can expect lots more DLC.

Day one DLC is awful, especially when it affects the single player experience. Bioware/EA spent three months creating this money making scheme, if only they had focused their efforts on including higher resolution textures, gamepad support and an FOV slider. Unfortunately, EAâ
  21. Mar 8, 2012
    Most of the game is amazing _________________________________________________________________________________ -Good combat _____________________________________________________________________ -Great atmosphere _________________________________________________________________ -Amazingly done little details __________________________________________________________ -A lot of very emotionalMost of the game is amazing _________________________________________________________________________________ -Good combat _____________________________________________________________________ -Great atmosphere _________________________________________________________________ -Amazingly done little details __________________________________________________________ -A lot of very emotional moments _______________________________________________________ -Some of the toughest and most heart wrenching decisions I've had to make _____________________ -Thoroughly addicting and enjoyable (until the end). ______________________________________________________________________________ So-so stuff: _______________________________________________________________________ -Slightly too much autodialogue. Not a huge deal though. ____________________________________ -Effect of many previous choices given mention but not explicitly detailed, left to your imagination (works for some) _________________________________________________________________________ -Dialogue ranges from great to cringe inducing _______________________________________________________________________________ The horrible: ______________________________________________________________________ -Ending is some of the worst writing/storytelling of all time. NOT because it is a "sad" ending. Because it comes out of nowhere and makes no sense. It would take an essay to detail everything that is wrong with it. ________________________________________________________________________________ 90% of the game is awesome. By that measure, I could give it a 9/10. But endings are important. ________________________________________________________________________________ Worth buying and playing. Expand
  22. Mar 20, 2012
    For the most part, Mass Effect 3 is a beautiful and functional game through and through (save for a rushed feeling and ultimately disappointing end-game and some awful game import bugs that still need addressing). Even the multiplayer gameplay was better than expected. If not for said disappointing ending, ME3 would be the best title in the franchise so far. With some DLC andFor the most part, Mass Effect 3 is a beautiful and functional game through and through (save for a rushed feeling and ultimately disappointing end-game and some awful game import bugs that still need addressing). Even the multiplayer gameplay was better than expected. If not for said disappointing ending, ME3 would be the best title in the franchise so far. With some DLC and acknowledgment from EA/Bioware over a few hiccups, ME3 could easily be elevated to a 10 (a rating it otherwise deserves). Expand
  23. Mar 9, 2012
    It's a fun game, with some pretty glaring problems. : PROS : -- fun gameplay -- seeing the finish of the story with the characters you've played with in the previous games -- cool guns and armor : CONS : -- buggy gameplay -- outdated graphics (at times worse than ME2) -- buggy visuals (invisible characters, constant clipping, bad animations, etc...) -- lack of content (2 explorableIt's a fun game, with some pretty glaring problems. : PROS : -- fun gameplay -- seeing the finish of the story with the characters you've played with in the previous games -- cool guns and armor : CONS : -- buggy gameplay -- outdated graphics (at times worse than ME2) -- buggy visuals (invisible characters, constant clipping, bad animations, etc...) -- lack of content (2 explorable locations instead of multiple worlds and stations, most missions are short and to the point, less stuff to do outside of missions than either ME1/2, etc...) -- railroaded through the story without even the illusion that it's an open world game -- dialogue doesn't give you much option beyond BAD GUY/GOOD GUY -- every character in the game is presented to you on a platter, in the way that it might as well say "Do you want to sleep with this person? YES/NO" -- lack of mission depth (select mission, loading screen, kill stuff, loading screen, done) -- story important DLC provided on the first day -- Your decisions from previous games, and even this one, don't seem like they will matter, because most of the people that could have died in previous games aren't usable in this one and there are new characters anyway. It seems like they made the script for the game and decided how everything will end, and then looked at your past save to see how they could shoehorn any previous surviving characters into the game without disrupting the story. : : It's a good game, but not nearly as good as the previous two, and definitely not as good at the professional reviewers scores might lead you to believe it to be. The main reason to play this game is to see how it ends. Expand
  24. Mar 19, 2012
    The game has its problems, most of the time you cant really choose what to say, most of it is automatic, even if you picked otherwise on the start of the game and on the options, there arent enough "renegade/paragon" choices either, completed the whole game and only saw 3 or so. So this game is way more linear than ME2 and ME1, but i guess it is because there arent that many choices toThe game has its problems, most of the time you cant really choose what to say, most of it is automatic, even if you picked otherwise on the start of the game and on the options, there arent enough "renegade/paragon" choices either, completed the whole game and only saw 3 or so. So this game is way more linear than ME2 and ME1, but i guess it is because there arent that many choices to make, all the choices you had were made on the previous games. But there are some good parts, gameplay has been improved ALOT, combat is way more satisfying, i didnt got bored the whole time i was fighting (unlike Mass Effect 2), some of the creatures they added were AWESOME (Brutes per say), and it was very interesting that some choices you made on Mass Effect 2 and 1 that you thought would help you against the reapers actually helped your enemy! Good job on that Bioware! Characters felt alive, i am glad from my three favorite companions two survided! Was sad to see five of my companions to die, one specially, i gotta say that was the saddest moment in the trilogy! Multiplayer is fun, but can get exhausting, but it sure is great! Plot was really good, but the last minute kinda made no sense, specially the scene after the credits, but even so i was satisfied! I gotta say the soundtrack was good, specially two specific musics, but it doesnt compares to Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 1, they were much better! The beginning of the game was the worst part in my humble opinion, if you compare to the epic start of Mass Effect 1 (the other Turian spectre is awesome!) , and specifically Mass Effect 2(as epic as any game gets) it will let you down! But overall a great game, Worst than Mass Effect 1, and slightly better/equal comparing to Mass Effect 2. Graphics were really improved, animations as well (taking out Anderson's walking animation.. of course) lighting way better, great anti-aliasing, and great voice acting. Levels were way better designed than the previous games, specially Palaven's moon, that was my favorite mission! So because all of that i give this game a 6! (gave an 8 to Mass Effect 2 and a 10 to Mass Effect 1)

edit: i actually thought the ending through, and well, it kinda ruins the game, wont do another playthrough, but mainly because of the ending, the first 3 minutes and the auto dialogue, music is great, combat is great and areas are great, but the ending in a RPG game defines the experience, and sadly, in this particular game, it sucked. -1 point for too much auto dialogue and a few bugs, -2 for the ending, -1 for the first 3 minutes.
  25. Mar 10, 2012
    Bioware has said many a time that this is a great place to jump into the Mass Effect universe. I'd disagree, a lot of work has been put into the game to reward players of Mass Effect 1 and 2. If you haven't played them you are doing yourself a disservice, and much of the game loses a lot of meaning and context to character interactions. The story is great, but unravels right at the end.Bioware has said many a time that this is a great place to jump into the Mass Effect universe. I'd disagree, a lot of work has been put into the game to reward players of Mass Effect 1 and 2. If you haven't played them you are doing yourself a disservice, and much of the game loses a lot of meaning and context to character interactions. The story is great, but unravels right at the end. The shooter aspect of the game is highly enjoyable as is the multiplayer aspect even though I tend not to be a fan of multiplayer. The graphics are middling, with some inconsistent texture quality. A high quality facial texture with a lower quality applied to the rest of the body on many models. The RPG and exploration elements of the game are a mixed bag. They've added back weapon modifications, but simplified conversations with NPCs to the point where they are little more than short cut-scenes. Exploration prevalent in Mass Effect 1 and 2 has all but vanished. You fly around star systems scanning for War Assets while avoiding reapers, but you can't land on planets except for assigned missions. There is also only a single hub world(narrative rather than combat driven location) as opposed to three or four in earlier games. Minigames and vehicle levels have been completely removed as well. A lot of this seems negative. For the most part even with all that had been stripped out its highly enjoyable. For me, it occupies a strange place in that it both delights and disappoints me at the same time. Expand
  26. Mar 8, 2012
    This is not bad game, unless you compare it with mass effect I or mass effect 2 which were really awesome games where you were driving the character and the history. All that magic is gone, thus I understand why people give this game low ratings . For a mass effect game this is lame. For the average games this is agood one. Probably people who never played the previous ones of like fpsThis is not bad game, unless you compare it with mass effect I or mass effect 2 which were really awesome games where you were driving the character and the history. All that magic is gone, thus I understand why people give this game low ratings . For a mass effect game this is lame. For the average games this is agood one. Probably people who never played the previous ones of like fps game style would vote this one higher. What is unbelievable is all the (paid?) critic reviews who are giving only top scores and highlighting how good is the game almost without negative aspects. Fortunately here in metacritic most of the users have expressed their opinions so everyone can read that this game is not the perfect product paid reviews are trying to sell. I imagine Bioware is trying to get users to vote and comment in their favour, but that would be a bit more difficult than to heavily advertise in a bunch of gaming publications. I mean, if Bioware is paying you a los of money for publicity, you won"t be talking down their new star product .That wouldn't be a business wise decision. Expand
  27. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'm not going to give the game a very low score because of the ending, but if not for the ending I would have given it a 9 or 10 out of 10.

They did a great job with the dialog, music, animation, character development and most of the story -- Then we faced the end and so much disappointment. I didn't think it could get much worse after the destruction of the Asari homeworld. That made me feel so down, but it also reminded me how much I enjoy the series. The ending made me angry and disappointed -- But I really just sat dumbfounded after finishing the game.

The end seemed so disconnected from the rest of the storyline. And the last thing I wanted to think about was Shepard becoming basically a lifeless organism that controlled the Reapers. I mean, that's just a horrible way to end it all.

All we can really hope for now is some DLC to correct the upsetting and disappointing ending. There are a lot of angry fans out there already and with the game being out less than a week, in the next few weeks there's going to be a whole lot more. I feel that Bioware really needs to do some damage control or the entire legacy of the game will be ruined.
  28. Mar 14, 2012
    I am giving this game a 7 instead of a 10 because of the ending. We were promised 14 different endings, tailored to your character archetype, how you played the game, and the decisions you made. Instead, we got two different endings. You can win, or you can lose. This depends only on whether or not you have completed enough missions by the end of the game. If you win, you can very slightlyI am giving this game a 7 instead of a 10 because of the ending. We were promised 14 different endings, tailored to your character archetype, how you played the game, and the decisions you made. Instead, we got two different endings. You can win, or you can lose. This depends only on whether or not you have completed enough missions by the end of the game. If you win, you can very slightly alter the end-cinematic depending on the choice you make after the final battle. Your decision, however, has no impact on the story, and everything that you did in the game is basically invalidated by this frustrating conclusion. It's a highly disappointing end to the series, which is why so many people are upset about it. Now that the bad stuff's out of the way, let's move on to the good. The game was very fun. I beat it in three days, and I slept only a few hours each night because I simply couldn't put the game away. The story was extremely captivating, the combat was really visceral, and the dialogue was fascinating as always. This game does credit to its predecessors, which were also paragons of the shooter RPG subgenre. It's a real shame that they ended the series on such a terrible note, but that doesn't detract completely from the game's other virtues. It was fun, and I have no trouble recommending it to friends. Expand
  29. Mar 21, 2012
    the game Mass Effect is excellent, but Mass Effect is a complete disappointment (((In the pursuit of a new audience Bioware f*** up a second time and this time of thing will not spoil. As a fan of the first part I do not believe them anymore. Let them do simulations gay. It's what they are now able to
  30. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The short version: As an action game, Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic success thanks to its improved combat system. As an RPG, it's less phenomenal, due to a pulled-by-teeth story, rampant sentimentalism, and limited options for character development. Even so, this game could have been fantastic all around if it weren't for an ending that undermined much of what the first two games accomplished.

Combat: 8/10

While the game could have used a bit more polish on controls, the new combat pacing, wide array of enemies, and the improved cover system are all phenomenal. Two complaints: 1) Spontaneous dialogue is often left incomplete because you run so quickly from Point A to Point B that the next dialogue interrupts the previous one. 2) We still have a global cooldown on abilities that makes combos or even training multiple abilities feel useless.

Non-combat Systems: 6.5/10

In an attempt to hybridize the weapon and armor system of the first and second games, ME 3 gave us the flaws of both worlds. While it was great having weapon statistics and upgrade options again, the methods for upgrading were too complex and tangled to be fun.

The map system of ME2 is, more or less, back as expected. They eliminated the annoying probe/scan system, but didn't implement anything truly interesting in return. Still, it's a step up.

Role-playing elements: 6/10

As far as actually leveling up, improving abilities, and using them in combat, this game did a great job. Top marks overall â
  31. Mar 11, 2012
    Being one of the people who had prepared my game files ME2 just the way I wanted them, I was very happy when playing the game. I think the game is very good, and a lot of the changes are for the better, especially the loading times.

However there is one huge letdown; the ending is terrible. Even if the ending was half-assed, I would have given the game a 10, but the ending is so bad I give it a 7 instead.
  32. Mar 22, 2012
    While this game is way off the mark from ME1 and ME2 this is still a good game. The story can be a bit forced and it's clear were you are going, but I still enjoyed the journey, and the same can be said for the ending, poor ending but I enjoyed the journey to get to it. This Mass Effect is not more of a Action Shooter with RPG elements but it is competent (if not spectacular) at both.
  33. May 2, 2012
    i would have given it a 10 if i could bind my key for sprinting, taking cover, exiting cover, rolling, entering dialogue, interacting with objects, climbing up ledges, jumping off of ledges/ ladders and whatever the hell else the spacebar did in this game to separate keys. we have 128 keys, allow us to use them to avoid this ridiculously clumsy control scheme. I would have given it a 9 ifi would have given it a 10 if i could bind my key for sprinting, taking cover, exiting cover, rolling, entering dialogue, interacting with objects, climbing up ledges, jumping off of ledges/ ladders and whatever the hell else the spacebar did in this game to separate keys. we have 128 keys, allow us to use them to avoid this ridiculously clumsy control scheme. I would have given it a 9 if their were any graphical options besides the resolution and anti-aliasing.

i would have given it an 8 if day one dlc was not inside of the files and COMPLETELY necessary to the story.

I would have given it a 7 if online multiplayer was optional to having a good story in the single player ( after finishing ALL of the fetch quests in the entire game i still had only 3200 "war assets" and thus was damned into receiving...

the WORST ending of any trilogy i've ever seen/read/played. (this now drops the score TWO MORE points because it is a carnal sin in my book to destroy a story with a bad ending.) It's so illogical, anti-lore oriented, and obviously rushed. We are now at a score of 5. Since Bioware is responding to the outcry about how disappointed people were by the game by releasing free dlc to add clarity to the ending, this review will absolutely be subject to change.
  34. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gameplay: 90/100
    Graphic: 95/100
    Platform + Origin functionality: 60/100
    Cutscenes: 100/100
    Main Story: 95/100
    Conversation: 70/100 - Too much auto conversation with the crew mate and very shallow dialogue options.
    Paragon/Renegade: 95/100 - It's very amazing of how I can choose between two of these in combinations make Sheperd seem very organic. Nice work on this tho.

The endings: 90/100 - When the scene hasn't focus on Joker attempting to escape the blast. This is for Blue & Red. Sad Sad Sad, you killed my heart you know. When I see my shep dissipate away to control the reaper, he smiled thinking of Kaiden before burned away. I'm ridiculously depressed from this intense bittersweet ending.

30/100 - When the scene change to Joker escape the blast and then crashed into this random planet. Worse, my crew that fight on earth somehow got on The Normandy. Joker manages to pick them up faster and escape from the blast travel faster than the speed of light and he was right beside the crucible too. Then all the ships were destroyed too then. If you choose blue, that's even worse, b.c The Reaper changes its mind and retreats safely while ships like the Normandy to all the fleets got burned!!
    Then there is no after story conclusion of what happen with the one that survive, who died, who live, the empires recovery.... so on.
    10/100: This green ending is completely stupid. Synthetic+ Organic doesn't give a full evolution. Synthetic can coexist with Organic. It's because organic has a tendecy to teach violence rather than compassion. It's like Terminator vs EDI.
    I recommend you to read novel from R. J Sawyer: Wake, Watch, Wonder trilogy. It has so much more insight on Organic + Synthetic coexistence. ....And for Tali's face..... way too obvious that somebody is being lazy. -_-
  35. Mar 12, 2012
    Combat was fun and enjoyable well still being some what RPG like (although it feels more prominent on the TPS then RPG like the first and second games). Characters feel improved and voice acting seems better. On the bad side though the entire plot is filling with holes and lots of dues ex machinas. Even more so then the other games. Writing is pretty good but often feels worse the theCombat was fun and enjoyable well still being some what RPG like (although it feels more prominent on the TPS then RPG like the first and second games). Characters feel improved and voice acting seems better. On the bad side though the entire plot is filling with holes and lots of dues ex machinas. Even more so then the other games. Writing is pretty good but often feels worse the the first game. There are very few dialogue options which is a big disappointment even for RPG and story modes. Also in some ways the endings are interesting but some what disappointing. I like there being that ending but I feel like there should be more. Bioware threw some good story elements out the window for "coolness factor" and such. The plot also seems simpler and less knowledge requiring for new players (which can make the ME1 and 2 players suffer a bit). ME3 might be fun but that's not what makes an interesting game. In some ways I mean it is quite good but this barley makes neutral rating in my opinion. Maybe bioware should have paid more attention to what made the last two games some of the best RPGs I have seen. Expand
  36. Mar 29, 2012
    I really like this game but it is very far away from perfect. The story is touching and characters are amazing, but the combat is very frustrating sometimes and gets boring and absolutely not realistic. The atmosphere is a bit plastic. I haven`t finished it yet but it`s starting to get boring. In the beginning I was amazed. Again an over hyped game.
  37. May 18, 2012
    This game was, well, whatever. I didn't play 1 or 2, so I didn't care if the ending was "bad". It was more like watching a movie than playing a game, but some of the guns were OK. I thought this game would be great, but the more I played the less I cared. I did like the female voices, and never understood the war map. Never cared either.
  38. Aug 20, 2012
    I give this game 6 only because ME2 had 10. It's not a bad game. It's pretty nice game. But TBH it's at least half worse than ME2 so cannot give more points.

Worst thing about it is that they spoiled all good things they improoved from ME1 to ME2. Starting with map system, shooting, character improvements, ... It's really pitty ME ended with game like that. Could be awesome!
  39. Jun 23, 2012
    The main problem with mass effect three compared to the last two is that all these decisions, all those player deaths, all those events and consequences that you have caused to happen in the lead up to this game, most of them seem to have very little final impact on the finale (which was rubbish btw). some plot lines just plain dont make sense (The reapers, a killing race of machines, wereThe main problem with mass effect three compared to the last two is that all these decisions, all those player deaths, all those events and consequences that you have caused to happen in the lead up to this game, most of them seem to have very little final impact on the finale (which was rubbish btw). some plot lines just plain dont make sense (The reapers, a killing race of machines, were sent to destroy us because in the future we would create a race of machines that would end mankind. um wtf?!?!) the build up to the last few battles was nigh on brilliant, all the characthers you fall in love (or hate) with have their fitting stories and some fitting conclusions, but then the final battles and final outcome takes all of those stories, completely discards and disregards them and gives you a supposedly "artistic" end sequence. again i call bs, its a cop out, its like the script writers went on strike for the last month of development so they called in a college psych student to finish it off. I wasnt angry the night i finished it, but sleeping on it i woke up really p-off.

the combat is improved from number two, and the multiplayer is a nice touch if lacking any real depth, i would say it feels like an experiment rather than a key part of the game. You will find yourself in some explosive chaotic moments that hold you on the edge of your seat, which is great, but the final pay off is just a big nothing, could be the worst ending to a game since metal gear solid 2. In conclusion, its a great end to the series BUT it sacrifices great rpg elements for third person shooting elements that gears of war did better. To add insult to injury bioware is now making dlc to change the ending. So... is that an admittance of failure on your part Bioware? cheers bro
  40. Jun 25, 2012
    So, I share the same gripe that everyone else has with ME3: it only has 3 endings. And by 3 endings I mean 1 ending with 3 different color overlays. Red, green and blue. Now the 1 ending is fine, but I was expecting no less than 6 distinct endings and frankly I was hoping for more like 9 or 12 given all the hype over how our choices would impact the end. But no, all those choicesSo, I share the same gripe that everyone else has with ME3: it only has 3 endings. And by 3 endings I mean 1 ending with 3 different color overlays. Red, green and blue. Now the 1 ending is fine, but I was expecting no less than 6 distinct endings and frankly I was hoping for more like 9 or 12 given all the hype over how our choices would impact the end. But no, all those choices culminate in 1 ending with 3 color overlays...

That said, ME3 is a great game. Graphics are great, story is great, the soundtrack is excellent. It has in depth character development and ties up all the loose ends. You will meet all the (surviving) characters from the first two episodes and help them out at least one more time. It will make you smile, laugh and cry... or at least look really solemn. The game does NOT deserve a score less than 5 from anyone. It is a shining example of the kind of games the industry should be producing and deserves your vote and purchase. How the user score on this is lower than the likes of Alan Wake or Duke Nukem Forever is beyond me. But yeah, I have to dock it some points for having no visually distinct endings.
  41. Jul 12, 2012
    I purchased ME1&ME2; but, while I like the game play of ME3 I am protesting it, by not buying it. They got rid of the original story writer, they crapped on the graphics, ruined the game ending and put homosexuals on my ship. Gamers are not defined by gay ideologies or self-righteous straights, for crying out! we are just gamers. Fun games should not be used as devise where staff writersI purchased ME1&ME2; but, while I like the game play of ME3 I am protesting it, by not buying it. They got rid of the original story writer, they crapped on the graphics, ruined the game ending and put homosexuals on my ship. Gamers are not defined by gay ideologies or self-righteous straights, for crying out! we are just gamers. Fun games should not be used as devise where staff writers bow to the political right or left. So, with these three negatives I will not buy this game. If the graphics and the game ending were really amazing, I would still not buy it - unless - the ME3 configuration utility allowed me to decide/change the gay/straight themes for my personal game preferences. It is when game developers force you to play their way instead of allowing the gamer to make their own personal choice, then I say **** you Bioware and EA, I will start downloading free games from torrent sites from now on, until you stop nailing gamers up the ass with your nickel and dime DLC and politicking ideology crap. Please stop doing this to gamers. Expand
  42. Dec 1, 2012
    I love the Mass Effect series, but the third game just didn't have that magic touch like the last two, especially the second one. The movement and combat got a few perks. Some of the new powers/characters/weapons/missions are good, and the story holds up alright, but the extra flare is just not there. The previous games had some great gameplay mechanics, but were sucked out of this game.I love the Mass Effect series, but the third game just didn't have that magic touch like the last two, especially the second one. The movement and combat got a few perks. Some of the new powers/characters/weapons/missions are good, and the story holds up alright, but the extra flare is just not there. The previous games had some great gameplay mechanics, but were sucked out of this game. It's like the game is Mass Effect 2 with some improved graphics, but much lazier organization, atmosphere and character development - it all just feels sloppier. There's no reason an avid Mass Effect should pass this up, as it's not that bad of a game. But it's very watered down. I haven't a damn clue what went through BioWare's heads with the horrible endings. Expand
  43. Jan 31, 2013
    God this game just isn't very good at all and seeing it in the top 10 for 2012 kind of sickens me. Yes, the combat is equally as fun, maybe a little more fun that its predecessors, but the skill system is this stripped down 3rd person shooter now. Also, the great storylines and side missions that were the absolute best part about the first two games are pretty absent from this one. TheGod this game just isn't very good at all and seeing it in the top 10 for 2012 kind of sickens me. Yes, the combat is equally as fun, maybe a little more fun that its predecessors, but the skill system is this stripped down 3rd person shooter now. Also, the great storylines and side missions that were the absolute best part about the first two games are pretty absent from this one. The side missions are so dull and I just rush through them not caring at all about my dialogue choices, and the main story is pretty sub-par as well. Let's all face it, Bioware has sold their souls to make some cheap bucks. It started with the horrendous Dragon Age 2 and now this. Don't even get me started on DA2 and how much of a fail that was considering how phenomenal the first entry was. Expand
  44. Jan 3, 2013
    Mass effect 3 is solid proof that Bioware has no intention of continuing their honorable tradition of making great games. It's just generic releases now to make the most amount of cash before EA runs this company to the ground. The glaring inconsistencies, bad character writing and poor choices make this a disgraceful sequel to Mass Effect 1 and 2. If you feel that Dragon Age 2 was aMass effect 3 is solid proof that Bioware has no intention of continuing their honorable tradition of making great games. It's just generic releases now to make the most amount of cash before EA runs this company to the ground. The glaring inconsistencies, bad character writing and poor choices make this a disgraceful sequel to Mass Effect 1 and 2. If you feel that Dragon Age 2 was a downer compared to DA:O, multiply that by 5 and you have Mass Effect 3. How this game got positive reviews from "critics" only shows that they absolutely have no idea of what made the original games great. How the hell do they keep their jobs!? Unbelievable. Expand
  45. Jun 25, 2013
    Obviously the parallel development of Star Wars: The Old Republic took a toll on both games.
    ME 3 seems to be hastily assembled to finish the series in the given time frame. The ending strongly reminds me of another game series of the Cyberpunk genre which I also like. But this ending style is imho not fitting to the ME series.
    The last two missions felt right out of place. But face it:
    The last two missions felt right out of place.
    But face it: these are the most the negative points of the third part. ME3 is still clearly above average and is never worse than a 7.0. No way Sorry, just because you've expected a happy end doesn't make the whole game bad.

The "Galaxy at War" mechanics is simply brilliant. It allows all your deeds of the three parts and two additional games, the cooperative multiplayer (included in ME3) and the mobile app "Infiltrator" to be integrated and add to your effort to save the galaxy.
    And don't believe everything you read here. E.g. multiplayer is not necessary at all to get the best endings but you need a pretty good score which is maybe not possible if you killed everything and everyone possible in the first two parts ;-p You'll just feel the consequences of your previous actions.
    And this is clearly a benefit of this game series which also contributes to ME3.

My advice to all players who gave a score below 5: play the ME series a second time and you'll see the game a little bit differently.
  46. Mar 9, 2012
    Signed up just to review this one. It's important to me since I loved the first two, apparently one of the only ones that liked the second better than the first but I digress. Simply put, this game is good but not great. It fails at importing the character face used in game two, so right off the bat there's no way it can be a 10. The dialogue system has also been over-simplified,Signed up just to review this one. It's important to me since I loved the first two, apparently one of the only ones that liked the second better than the first but I digress. Simply put, this game is good but not great. It fails at importing the character face used in game two, so right off the bat there's no way it can be a 10. The dialogue system has also been over-simplified, probably to make space for the multiplayer... which I don't plan on using. I have encountered bugs that have made missions unplayable. The graphics are good, although perhaps Skyrim has spoiled me since I really did expect more. Extremely skeptical of all the 'pro' reviewers giving high scores, guess that's what money gets you. Expand
  47. Mar 10, 2012
    As a game this is perfectly acceptable. I played it on PC and had very few graphic issues. Joker was kind of weird looking but that was my only problem on that front. The gameplay is like mass effect 2 but better. I enjoyed the gameplay. You can snipe or shotgun and use your powers tactically no matter your class. Its a fun game. I've gone back and played ME1 since getting ME3 and franklyAs a game this is perfectly acceptable. I played it on PC and had very few graphic issues. Joker was kind of weird looking but that was my only problem on that front. The gameplay is like mass effect 2 but better. I enjoyed the gameplay. You can snipe or shotgun and use your powers tactically no matter your class. Its a fun game. I've gone back and played ME1 since getting ME3 and frankly ME1 is comparatively, a slow doddering affair and in modern day terms ugly. While the decisions of the last 2 games don't have the impact I thought they would neither are they irrelevant. Most if not all lose ends are wrapped up and in a satisfactory manner. In fact the only major disappointment was the ending. 7 years of this game and that's how they wrap everything up? This game was good. Whatever else you read, know that it as fun as all getout. But the ending is a nice kick to the balls. Buy it, play it, just don't expect to be leaving it happy. This score is 100% based on the ending. everything else is is worth the price. Expand
  48. Mar 8, 2012
    After reading most of these user reviews while playing the game i couldnt belive what i was seeing. I thought the sheer production value and epicness of the game/scope and how promising the end was stunning to say the least and while i missed most of the exploration and RPG elements from ME1 and ME2 i understood why they were dumbed down since you have more pressing matters to attend toAfter reading most of these user reviews while playing the game i couldnt belive what i was seeing. I thought the sheer production value and epicness of the game/scope and how promising the end was stunning to say the least and while i missed most of the exploration and RPG elements from ME1 and ME2 i understood why they were dumbed down since you have more pressing matters to attend to and running around wasting time would break my immersion. I wasnt suprised when i saw that the from ashes dlc would be an extra feature, i am a bit puzzled as to why they chose a prothean for this DLC, while not critical to the plot, it does answer a lot of the main questions i had about the epos. Since they made such a huge deal around the protheans and its mysticism, the more i talked with my prothean squadmate and got immersed into his story i was more and more suprised why this wasnt part of the main game.
    Ive been a fan of the mass effect genre since the first game came out, ive read all the comics, books studied the lore and i even loved mass effect 2, perhaps not for the dumbed down RPG elements, but the game was genuinly challenging and fun, characters and storytelling and voice acting was stellar.

When i looked at my time played how it felt and how my war asset bar was nearly full, thats when i first started to worry.
    After a certain cuscene with tali i was so moved i nearly broke a tear, thats how immersive the game was.

As i progressed feeling soon my long pondered, unanswered questions would or would not come to a close, i got more and more worried since the last hours felt somewhat rushed but was put to a rest when i got the grand epic feeling when the fleets arrived at earth. I was nearly standing in my chair, awed at the greatness of the moment.

Then came the final assault on earth. This was also grand in scale. Ive wanted to see earth in mass effect ever since i glared at its magnifisence on the lunar base mission in ME1. The war torn earth looked grim and desperate and upheld my expectations. Then came the ending. Not since the conclusion to the ace seeries, sopranos have i felt such a black hole in my stomache. I felt betrayed at first waiting til after the credits. I searched all the forums i could about what i did wrong how i could get this abysmal ending and how i could fix it, seeing as i had nearly 100% completion and full paragon. Was this a bug? A mistake on my part on an important desicion? I pondered this for many hours until i was forced to accept, that was it. This was the ending to the biggest sci-fi epos in gaming history.
  49. Mar 11, 2012
    I was afraid that Bioware might ruin at some point the whole mass effect magical and absorbing universe.My fears came true.Where should I start? I played the PC version and I was really disappointed in game's graphics.There are obvious signs that the game's graphics were done in some kind of a rush.Awful textures in some points during the game.For a 2012 game they look really bad .OnceI was afraid that Bioware might ruin at some point the whole mass effect magical and absorbing universe.My fears came true.Where should I start? I played the PC version and I was really disappointed in game's graphics.There are obvious signs that the game's graphics were done in some kind of a rush.Awful textures in some points during the game.For a 2012 game they look really bad .Once again PC gets a port.I am no complaining about performance since FPS rate is stable,but these textures look really ugly nowadays.What about gameplay? They made it more action,more Michael Bay style look.As a result we have bad written dialogues and on top of that we can't make a lot of real decisions during the dialogues.All this negative stuff, was obviously done for action's sake and gameplay feels a lot like GOW series.Thus, the mass effect magic is lost in the third installment of the franchise.
    Moreover,I can't understand the whole multiplayer point,Mass effect was always a trully single player experience,why ruin this now? The worst of this addition is that multiplayer affects the game's final battle.What were they thinking? Usually people play first the single player part then the multi.It's simply irrational.As for war assets feature it seemed to me quite cool in the beginning but afterwards I understood that it don't count as it should.
    Last but not least,there is a really messy badly written ending in the end of the game.Bioware gives us 3 options which all lead to an unpleasant ending.I don't say that I wanted an ending taken from children's tales where everyone lives and stays happy at the end.Though,it's really harsh to watch that all the decisions that were made in previous games simply don't count at all.This is the part why many Mass Effect's fans got angry.They can't just so simply erase our actions.It's ironic that they were saying all these years to keep the save games as they will change the whole experience in the 3rd game of the franchise.They were **** about thousands of factors that will make a difference.
    All in all,I realized in the end that spent 100 hours in Mass Effect universe,I made hard decisions,I bonded emotionally with game's characters and finally I made the impossible to unite galaxy's races only for nothing.Even the war assets don't count a lot,you have fleet of Turians,Geth,QuariansHuman,Asari and all this for nothing.
  50. Mar 9, 2012
    I thought the game was enjoyable, the gameplay is fun, and the graphics are good. With that being said, ME3 is nothing close to the game that ME2 & ME1 were. There is a feeling of inevitability throughout the course of the game, it is far too linear. The endings are the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced in any game that I've ever played. I got the "perfect" ending, and itI thought the game was enjoyable, the gameplay is fun, and the graphics are good. With that being said, ME3 is nothing close to the game that ME2 & ME1 were. There is a feeling of inevitability throughout the course of the game, it is far too linear. The endings are the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced in any game that I've ever played. I got the "perfect" ending, and it still left me feeling queasy.

There are only 3 reasons I give the game a positive rating at all:

1. The universe/storyline that Mass Effect is set in is so great that even screwing it up it is still solid. 2. The length of the game is about perfect, I hate games that are too short, and this isn't one of them.
    3. The "final battle" is great, it was very intense, and I was about to forgive all of this game's failings after it (until I got to the crappy endings).

Also, in spite of the complaining, the Multi-Player is actually very fun.
  51. Mar 11, 2012
    Lets get the bad stuff out of the way first, and sadly it is mostly bad. Yes the game comes with day 1 dlc, but if you've bought a big release EA game in the last 3 or 4 years you should be used to this by now. It's not worth coming on here and giving a zero over no matter how much it sucks. The biggest fault of ME3 is that it feels even more linear in comparison to the previous games,Lets get the bad stuff out of the way first, and sadly it is mostly bad. Yes the game comes with day 1 dlc, but if you've bought a big release EA game in the last 3 or 4 years you should be used to this by now. It's not worth coming on here and giving a zero over no matter how much it sucks. The biggest fault of ME3 is that it feels even more linear in comparison to the previous games, you are funnelled along a set path of main quests with other systems only randomly appearing on your map once you reach a certain place in the story line. It's almost like a linear FPS trying to pretend that it's still an RPG. The side quests are also extremely lame fetch types that you generally come across while running by conversations in the citadel with the odd extra N7 mission during your journey. Mining has been replaced with another "scanning" mini-game to find extra resources for your war effort, it feels like a cheap waste of time, mostly because there isn't much to explore really and it could have been a lot more interesting. Thankfully the hacking and circuit mini-games from ME2 have been removed completely. The story & dialog is really hit and miss, mostly miss, your choices from the previous games don't seem to have any kind of large meaningful impact on the big picture, but I need to test this more with multiple playthroughs. The differences between your paragon and renegade choices seemed, odd to me in a lot of cases, almost like they were mixed up. It seems a lot less thought went into story, dialog and character development this time around, or it was rushed. Now the good things, the combat has been streamlined and in my opinion it's probably the best out of the series. It's a little faster, there are more powers and they are fun to use. The production values are extremely high, it looks good, sounds good and the voice actors all did an incredible job for the most part. It isn't much of a boost technically when compared to ME2, but it is still an improvement in most areas, my only issue is some of the animations, especially running, just looks wrong. Now oddly enough my personal saving grace for this game is what most think is blasphemy, the multiplayer. I find the multiplayer extremely well done over all, it's easy to hop into, it's fun and addicting and provides a good challenge. It also gives a little boost to your single player campaign but it ISN'T required to get the best ending as some idiots on here have been giving a 1 or 0 over. Expand
  52. May 8, 2012
    First of all, I would say that Mass Effect 2 isn't just the greatest RPG ever to grace the console but it's arguably the greatest game ever made. It delivered such a compelling, deep, rich, atmospheric experience that continues to live long in the memory. So my expectations where probabaly over ambitious for the third outing. And after playing the game over and over again, devoted hours ofFirst of all, I would say that Mass Effect 2 isn't just the greatest RPG ever to grace the console but it's arguably the greatest game ever made. It delivered such a compelling, deep, rich, atmospheric experience that continues to live long in the memory. So my expectations where probabaly over ambitious for the third outing. And after playing the game over and over again, devoted hours of life I can understand the disapproval the game has gathered but would definetly say that Mass Effect 3 is by no means a game worthy of a '0.' Picking up from where the ME2 DLC Arrival left off, ME3 see's Shepard relieved of his duties as the consequences of his actions during the DLC, whilst on Earth the Reapers have launched an overwhelming onslaught leading Admiral Anderson to set Shepard the mission of uniting the galaxy's forces. Ofcourse the gameplay unfolds from here and you are able to import your saved data meaning that anyone who didn't make it from ME1&2 won't be in ME3. However, an early discovery is made after saving Liara, where she reveals that there is a potential weapon capable of destroying the Reapers; The Crucible. From here that's what it's all about. Travelling across the galaxy uniting forces whilst making major decisions along the way regarding the future of the Krogan race, the Geth and Quarians, aswell as taking care of personal loose ends including romantic options where you can decide who Shepard finally ends up with. Cerberus are also heavily involved under the guidance of The Illusive Man (TIM) who believes the Reapers should be controlled and not destroyed and throughout you have to deal with their attempts to take the Citadel as well as mounting an attack on their headquarters as a starting point towards the final battle. Your decisions along the way as you will already know are important in determining the ending to the game however even more vital is Effective Military Strength (EMS) which has a huge impact in final outcome of your Shepard's journey, this is mainly gained through online play. Regardless of who you sacrifice or save it all leads down to Citadel where a battered and blooded Shepard faces a final showdown with TIM,ultimately resulting in an old friends death, before all is finally revealed and the fate of the galaxy sealed. Lets just say you are in for rude awakening if you thought every decision you had to make was going to be crucial in determining how Mass Effect 3 ends. As you are transported to the pinnacle of the Citadel, the Catalyst approaches you in the shape of the young boy who dies at the start of the game who explains everything. Unfortunately the explanation isn't anything i could have possibly imagined but nonetheless he reveals that the Reaper cycle is an attempt to prevent organic life from wiping itself out by creating synthetic life leading you to face three options; 'Destroy,' 'Control,' or 'Convert.' All three result in the apparent death of Shepard however if you choose 'Destroy' and have the correct amount of EMS you can gain the 'perfect' ending where it shows a potentially alive Shepard breathing amongst the ruins of the destruction which results in the mass relays being destroyed and the Normandy ending up stranded on another planet... then after the credits have rolled an old man is shown with a young boy, who asks the elderly gent to tell him more stories about 'the Shepard' implying that Shepard's legend lives on. We all know the controversy regarding the ending and initially I felt as though I had been well and truly conned as all the assurances BioWare has given simply weren't on show. But after taking my time going through things again I'm not as bummed as I first was. The gameplay is awesome. It was always going to be the introduction of new weapons is cool and the shooting system worked superbly well in ME2 so only a few minor tweaks were needed in that department so I didn't have any complains there. The Normandy was fine although you don't get enough of it. Graphically it's not exactly a blockbuster movie. There are annoying glitches along the way but they don't prevent you from playing on, they just frustrate you at times. The plot. Well not so much the story as the ending(s). Let's face it BioWare sold us all short big time! Shepard dying doesn't bother me as much as others, sure it would've been great for him to get that happily ever after but it's the fact they have disregarded everything a player has gone through and delivered such a pointless and worthless ending that a trilogy such as Mass Effect doesn't deserve. Multiplayer was unnecessary but I was relatively impressed but not addicted to it as other games, but is a vital component for those of us seeking that 'perfect' ending. Simply, ME3 is a tremendous game with a terrible ending and as a result is one of the biggest disappointments to date. I await the extended epilogue in the hope of some REAL closure. Expand
  53. Apr 25, 2012
    Ahhhh sad... i'm sad. The 1 was great, the 2 good... And that 3 is just average... Not bad, mainly because we love the caracteres. We are attached with them. Some scenes are still great, as a nice space opera.
    But that game is far poorer than the two others. It is very contemplative game... Like a story we read, but not as a good video game should be.
    I don't complaint against the ends. I
    I don't complaint against the ends. I can understand them and I accept the dev's choice.

It's hard finishing such trilogy like that...
  54. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Its pretty bad when a series can destroy itself in the last 10 minutes of a trilogy, but ME managed it. I loved the game (even with the bad cover quirks and the occasional everyone breaks their neck staring off stage left while having a conversation), but the ending pretty well scorched it. The writers at Bio-Ware are still top notch, and it was fun seeing who did and didn't make it in from the previous games. The standing conversations with teammates felt more natural, and having the opportunity to advance your relationships was done well. And then the ending. Remember Fallout with that huge plot-hole about being with a guy immune to radiation and yet you can't send him into the radiated room to hit the button so you have to sacrifice yourself? Yeah its worse than that. Expand
  55. Mar 13, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic game. Right up until the end I was so engaged in the gameplay, the story, the characters that I was literally on the end of my seat. Which is why the terrible endings were such a kick in the balls. I really wish BioWare could have provided some sort of effect for what you had done, and closure for the characters you'd grown to love. Nothing you do matters evenMass Effect 3 is a fantastic game. Right up until the end I was so engaged in the gameplay, the story, the characters that I was literally on the end of my seat. Which is why the terrible endings were such a kick in the balls. I really wish BioWare could have provided some sort of effect for what you had done, and closure for the characters you'd grown to love. Nothing you do matters even a bit in the end. Everything you do in the series was building up to that and to have it limited to a choice of 3 cutscenes with no consideration of what had happened before. The game itself is fantastic as I said, and I do think you should buy it but just... close the game before the ending and think of the ending you want. Because it will be better than everything BioWare come up with. Expand
  56. Mar 9, 2012
    I liked the first two very much. Although this is not a bad game it again is a dissapointment.
    I think because Bioware was such a good company in the past we all expected them to continue this forever.

I conclude that after dragon age 2, knights of the new republic and this that they have lost their touch. Luckily enough with games as skyrim we have other options. A 7 for effort.
  57. Mar 8, 2012
    The whole game was being marketed with the promise that every decision you have made matters. Well that is nice, the only problem is, it is not true. Of course the story becomes a little bit different with each and every one of your decisions, but in the end it will not matter. Think about it like this, you can go to work in a 100 different ways, but when you are there, will it matter howThe whole game was being marketed with the promise that every decision you have made matters. Well that is nice, the only problem is, it is not true. Of course the story becomes a little bit different with each and every one of your decisions, but in the end it will not matter. Think about it like this, you can go to work in a 100 different ways, but when you are there, will it matter how you got there? No. You will still have to do, what you are told. Sadly this is the case in Mass Effect 3 as well.

The War Assets system. Sounds good, seems good, even smells good, but it does not taste well, why? Because Bioware forces you to play multiplayer in order for you to basically achieve a perfect or even good playthrough. Why? Because they were probably afraid that people will not play it. How does multiplayer reflect in the actual game? Simple, your Effective Military Strength ( which in theory decides the outcome of the game ) is calculated via your Total Military Strength * your Galactic Readiness, which can be increased by playing the multiplayer. (It will start off at 50% and you lose 1% each day, tough it can not go under 50%) The conversations. The script is great, but that is expected from Bioware. My only take on it is that it feels way too binary sometimes, of course most of the time it makes sense, but I still feel like that there was some laziness on Bioware's part in this matter.
    The scanning. It's an improvement from Mass Effect 2's abysmal scanning system, but I still find it somewhat boring after the first couple "catch me if you can"s. And the fact that you have to do 90% of the sidequests this way does not make it any better.

If you have read this review so far, you might wonder why I gave the game the score I did. That is because gameplay wise the game runs very smooth, the combat system is great, and the graphics are nice. Also where I live we have a saying:"The path you take is more important than the destination". And while I was disappointed in the ending of the game, I think the way the whole game plays out and actually integrates the story of other Mass Effect media in the game is amazing. I can also understand why the community is mad at Bioware and EA. The DLC in my opinion has either the greatest integration of a DLC ever known to man, or was really cut from the actual game. I want to believe that it is the first, but the way corporations and people work today I feel that it might be the latter. Overall, it is a good game, but I am sure Bioware could have done better.
  58. Mar 9, 2012
    In short greatest Sci-Fi RPG`s evolution to cover based action game with RPG elements that offers straight line shooting without puzzles and occasional glitches, bugs and missing puzzle sections. Not the best ending to series.

First the bad stuff. Graphical bugs that show how hastily this was made, including missing walls, low quality textures, performance lowdown on bizarre occasions. Just bugs include, getting stuck on bizarre locations on bizarre conditions, falling through floor when dying, endlesly looping music on occasions etc. Removal of minigames like hacking just holding spacebar is about exciting as watching an egg boil no make that less exciting. Side quests are reduced mostly to get an item X from scanning an planet. The whole quest line is direct copy paste job from ME2 in lines of gather forces for final battle. All main quest locations are straight lines from A to B. Gameplay mechanics. The one button does all configuration does not work well I played on hardest setting and most of my deaths came from dying because Shepard was rolling between two covers facing enemies while they were blasting at him because awesome button. The talents are well what you would expect in such streamlined Action game with RPG elements. I was left with ~40 unused talentpoints because there was nothing worth putting them in. The lack of any puzzle sections baffles me its just constant pipeline fighting without any mental challenge. Even the one obivious part to use puzzles ( inside AI ) was reduced to very very very dull gun play mechanic that was about as exciting as licking week old ketchup from kitchen floor. The story is the same old thing from ME2 get your forces for last battle. The characters were mostly Good or OK, but what the hell one of the most unsatisfying ending(s) ever. I mean from the ME1 you had an chance to make something great and you went with this...? Just baffling. The whole feeling of war against more advanced reapers was OK with the whole the dark and gloomy feeling, but there was still some baffling plot holes and unexplained things.

The DLC. My god what on earth was EA thinking. The prothean DLC should have been free day one DLC. And it really fills in at least some of the caps and is rather good. But really 10$ for making the game what it should have been?
  59. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is this the grand game we have been waiting for? Sorta?
    A good game but nowhere near perfect
    Good:
    Gameplay-Like Mass Effect 2 it has very solid gameplay(besides the ammo clips)
    Story-Unlike Mass Effect 2 the story is much better and feels more vital and important like in Mass Effect 1
    Dialog-Some characters have very good dialog(Garus) but others don't(will get on that later
    Exploring-They removed the awful planet scanning in ME2 and simplified it for the better, Plus reaper attacks while exploring is fun

Bad:
    Dialog-Some of the Dialog is dreadful to listen to, its repetitive or stupid(send ships to save earth! But our own planets are under siege too. I dont care save Earth!)
    The Child-Bad attempt to make you emotionally attached, you know nothing about him and don't care, he is probably one of millions who are dieing, so why care
    ME2 crew-Your crew from ME2(probably the best and well developed crew) barely are in there and don't even join back up with you, so you get stuck down with very few crew members who are mostly from the first game
    Jersey Shore Characters-Do they really need to be here? I mean they are uninteresting and serve only points to fans of the show(which im not), they could have put in old or more interesting characters
    Blatant ripoffs from the internet and games-Endings ripoff Deus EX pretty badly, pictures from the internet directly shown and Photoshopped models

Overall is it good, Yes, There are more bad complaints I made but most are minor to the whole thing, better not to ignore them then let them slip over our heads
  60. Mar 16, 2012
    The game is has changed a lot from ME1 and ME2 for both good and bad.

The game is has changed a lot from ME1 and ME2 for both good and bad.

The Story is engaging and the way the reveals bits of story without a cutscene is great, like hearing NPCs talk as you walk around. I find myself stopping between 2 NPCs chatting just to find out more about the backstory. However, the story is more linear than previous games and doesn't feel like you're making Shepard your own character. Basically your dialogue choices don't really affect the ending, instead it relies on your collecting "War Assets" (setup alliances, completing side quests, scan planets for items, etc...) for slightly different endings. Even then, the endings only differ with your choices in the last few minutes of the game. It makes it feel like your actions through the game really doesn't matter.
    I like how Bioware allows players to customize how they prefer to play the game by giving them options to ignore selecting dialogue to focus on action or make shooting easier to focus just on story. The War Readiness system is an interesting idea that I like in theory but it makes the game feel more "grindy" because you have to do all these side quests and scan all these planets. It also feels like a cash grab by Bioware/EA because you can increase the Readiness by buying their iPhone game or, in multiplayer, you can buy upgrade packs with real money. You can get the Readiness to 100% without paying extra or multiplayer but you would have to do a lot of side quests and exploration. The Multiplayer feels a little less "grindy" because it has a good variety of maps and enemies and you can unlock new weapons and upgrades by using in-game currency (gained by playing online games). The co-op multiplayer is a pleasant surprise. It reminds me of playing Uncharted 2 Multiplayer with swarms of enemies and little objectives to complete (assassinate targets, defend an area, activate devices). I had alot of fun with friends playing the game. There are some bugs with multiplayer that makes it annoying. It would be nice to be able to reorder your quickbar skills like in Singleplayer and the button for cover/activate is unreliable. I get stuck in a nearby cover instead of activating an objective.

The cover system is worse in this game than ME2, my character sticks to places too easily. If Bioware tone down the distance of when to automatically stick to cover, it would make it alot more tolerable. The shooting elements feel good but nothing like a hardcore FPS. Getting a gib kill feels good and the aiming system feels right with the right setting (I had to turn off "Mouse Dampening" to feel better). The simplified inventory system, shopping system, and weapon upgrading is a lot better in this game than the previous games.

The From Ashes DLC, is great. It seamlessly integrates with the main game and feels like part of the main game. It gives such an important background information about the Mass Effect Universe. The DLC character is great and the conversions with the character is worthwhile. I honestly cannot see how this DLC be excluded from the main game, the content adds so much depth the game. This DLC should have been available to all players who brought the game new, it feels like it's such a key component to the Mass Effect story. Shame on EA/Bioware for making this a paid DLC on Day 1, instead of working on bugs or improvements. Also, the idea that you can spend real money to unlock random stuff in multiplayer (with no guarantee of getting everything) adds to the feeling that EA/Bioware are trying to squeeze cash from their fans.
    Conclusion:
    The game mechanics definitely improved overall, but the story doesn't feel like a classic Bioware RPG where you have complete control over Shepard's development. I cannot give this game a perfect score because of some bugs and the Day 1 DLC (From Ashes) should have been free to all players that brought the game, like in Dragon Age 2 with Shale. It integrates so nicely to the game that it should have been part of the game from the start. This also gives the impression that EA/Bioware trying to squeeze as much money out of their loyal fans. When they should have spent that extra time polishing the cover system, speech system, animation system, or fixing save game importing instead of making this Day 1 DLC. If they had even waited a month to push out that DLC, it would have made less fans feel like they're getting robbed for supporting the franchise.
  61. Mar 11, 2012
    I've played this series since game 1, and I've read a lot of the negative reviews. While I was disappointed with this game, and while I did note many (most) of the mentioned issues with the game. Yes, Bioware should've foreseen the fallout of the DLC, and just released it as part of the game. Corporate world; welcome to it. It's not like this is uncommon these days in the industry (or anyI've played this series since game 1, and I've read a lot of the negative reviews. While I was disappointed with this game, and while I did note many (most) of the mentioned issues with the game. Yes, Bioware should've foreseen the fallout of the DLC, and just released it as part of the game. Corporate world; welcome to it. It's not like this is uncommon these days in the industry (or any industry). However, I think lamentations of the writing issues and gameplay have been blown out of proportion. When I finished the game I was quite disappointed since I don't think I've played a game with higher expectations. My main issues were the stub of a story they called the main plot. I did reach 25 hours or so of singleplayer gameplay, but a lot of it was chasing war assets in every cluster of the universe. Also, the half-hearted ending that made me feel like my 100 or so hours of ME gameplay were wasted. Multiplayer is not required for the best ending. I played 25 hours of singleplayer and got the best possible ending, though admittedly collecting war assets was quite tedious. They could've done more with the characters; I only lost Kaidan in ME1, yet, felt like all my efforts saving my team were useless since I saw some characters only a few times. The new party member they add is a complete joke, a dead-end of a character. However this game is not a 0 out of 10. Anyone who rated a 0 is someone who underwent the same feeling of disappointment I did then just lashed back. Story-wise, definitely the worst game of the series. Characters come and go in a blur; relationships consist of just a few conversations. Gameplay-wise, however, ME3 is much better in my opinion. Harder fights, more varied enemies, smarter enemies, more organic-feeling powers. More customization than ME2, thankfully, but also thankfully less than the smothering options in ME1. Environments were very varied, as were the situations. Multiplayer is just coop wave gameplay over and over again, but the combat is good enough that I'm finding myself playing a lot of multiplayer and still not getting bored, as are thousands of others. I don't expect to log that much more time on multiplayer, but it'll last me longer than such a simple system should, and that is because of the excellent combat. I am still a great fan of the series though this one dropped the ball a little. I'm considering another playthrough from the very start. All in all, a feasible buy, but hardly the game of the year. Expand
  62. Oct 13, 2012
    I played the demo and I'm very disappointed. I would play this game if one of the following were not true: (1) Same graphics; What was very advanced in 2007 (ME1) par in 2010 (ME2) is now simply sub-par in 2012. (2) I like to sit back with a logi/xbox360 style controller. A keyboard, while very good, can limit you in certain situations. While many games released in the past 2 years haveI played the demo and I'm very disappointed. I would play this game if one of the following were not true: (1) Same graphics; What was very advanced in 2007 (ME1) par in 2010 (ME2) is now simply sub-par in 2012. (2) I like to sit back with a logi/xbox360 style controller. A keyboard, while very good, can limit you in certain situations. While many games released in the past 2 years have instant support for controllers, this game has none. (3) Same engine. ME2 was a great game but I struggled to finish due to the robotic engine. The great story, art, music and characters kept me playing through the bland game. Adding a halo-blade animation to your punch and changing health to blocks instead of bars doesn't change the gameplay. My skills were 90% exactly the same as the last game! (4) horrid user score; from what people are saying, this is a big ME2 expansion, not a $60 new game. Oh Bioware, how far you have fallen. Expand
  63. Jaz
    Feb 24, 2013
    The third part of the ME trilogy had to compete with two masterpieces. It failed. Combat is ok, but combat was never its strong point. The trend to remove RPG components like ME2 did, continues. For example in order to get side quests you don't even talk to NPCs anymore, you simply overhear conversations. But ME2 had a saving grace, its story was still very strong. ME3 doesn't have thatThe third part of the ME trilogy had to compete with two masterpieces. It failed. Combat is ok, but combat was never its strong point. The trend to remove RPG components like ME2 did, continues. For example in order to get side quests you don't even talk to NPCs anymore, you simply overhear conversations. But ME2 had a saving grace, its story was still very strong. ME3 doesn't have that and its not just the ending. Main story is predictable and boring. Last but not least, your companions are simply not interesting this time. Their stories too. An average game, nothing to really set it apart from other shooters. Expand
  64. Mar 26, 2012
    Mass effect is a great ending to the trilogy , albeit with a sever flaw. The graphic are great , but there is no way to change the setting, and console limitation are forcing some design decision. For one you can't change FoV, you can't change graphic setting much, and you are forced to watch the back of a shepard taking 1/5 of the screen the whole time (Typical console trick to avoidMass effect is a great ending to the trilogy , albeit with a sever flaw. The graphic are great , but there is no way to change the setting, and console limitation are forcing some design decision. For one you can't change FoV, you can't change graphic setting much, and you are forced to watch the back of a shepard taking 1/5 of the screen the whole time (Typical console trick to avoid calculating world geometry in a part of the screen). Often I found myself unconsciously using the mouse wheel to zoom out or in to go into FP , and sadly this is not possible. Graphic option include anti aliasing, screen resolution, brightness, and shadow, that's it. Still the graphic are great, only it is a bit sad to be saddled with console limitation. Sound wise , It is relatively good. Music is good. Sound effect sound stock or did not leave me with a strong impression. Dialogs OTOH are good sounding, and the sound of the reaper still leaves me a chill in the back. Plot : I found the story fitting. The ending was OKish. On its own I found it OK, what I was sorely missing was to know what happens to the various folk/species taking part into the battle. I won't spoil it for you for the content of the ending, but I had been hoping for a little bit more, like the diagshow at the end of fallout saying you what happens afterward. It does not happen. Nonetheless the ending were satisfying enough for me, just lacking a tad bit. Big big big bad things : the screen at the end telling you to wait for DLC. They could have sparred that, or made it more discreet, as if the main menu "downloadable content checking" was not enough. That blue screen with DLC at the end was .... Over the top. Multiplayer is OK, consist in you and 4 trying to fight off waves, with XP reward and a store to buy items. but is problematic due to 2 things : they tied part of the game (effective military rating force) to the multiplayer. Now some people are playing it so finding coop player is easy. But what in 2 month ? What in 6 month ? If you find nobody you WILL be stuck at 50% rating, thus making it harder for you to get certain ending. This is definitively a BAD BAD BAD decision. Overall, I enjoyed Mass Effect 3 very much, but I think it has been clearly bracked by financial decision, and attempting to cash in, by having day 0 DLC (a clever marketing and salesman would have made it a week 1 or week 2 DLC) the shop/multiplayer influence on single player and the problem described as above, and the endings, which looks actually as if they had to make them on the quick due to financial reason. All in all, the lasting appeal of this game is IMHO lower than for ME1 and ME2 and the console influence has make it much more evident the lowering of the RPG element in favor of FPS element. I would still recommend it to anybody having played ME1 and 2 , but as a stand alone I cannot recommend it too much. Final verdict : 7. Would be a 8 if not for multiplayer undue influence on single player Military rating, and would be a 9 if only they had added , even a few still picture telling us what happens afterward as in fallout or other game did. This is after all the END of the trilogy. Expand
  65. Mar 12, 2012
    I actually enjoyed the game greatly... People are correct in that there aren't a lot of changes to the gamplay from ME2, but that's because they already had a winning combination in my mind...

The sheer number of things imported from ME1, ME2, and DLC was impressive to me... I've had completely different experiences than friends I've talked to... even down to in-game e-mails and news reports commenting on things being done by characters you left alive in previous games.

I was also very impressed at the level of emotional involvement they can get you to invest... there are some characters that I really truly cared about, and the voice acting for some of them was spot-on.

I think the main contributor to the Negative scores is the Ending... and I understand where others are coming from... for the most part, I was content... but there are elements to it that didn't make a lot of sense to me... a couple more options would have been good... Even a Dragon Age style "Text Epilogue" just saying "So and So went on to do this..." "This character went off to do the following..." would have been satisfying...

Don't let the last 15 mins ruin the rest of the game though... I enjoyed everything else immensely...
  66. Mar 12, 2012
    I loved mass effect from day one and waited 4 years for this part. I haye to say this game will be a very big disappointment for anyone who was a fan from day one. 99% of the game is 10/10 but if you ask me a story with a bad ending makes the hole series pointless and the biggest letdown in gaming history. Giving it a 7 out of 10 is very hard but honest and to everyone out there giving itI loved mass effect from day one and waited 4 years for this part. I haye to say this game will be a very big disappointment for anyone who was a fan from day one. 99% of the game is 10/10 but if you ask me a story with a bad ending makes the hole series pointless and the biggest letdown in gaming history. Giving it a 7 out of 10 is very hard but honest and to everyone out there giving it a 0 I understand you but to give a game a 0 because of the day one dlc and ending is not justified. Expand
  67. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 is not what it could have been. In all reality I was disappointed at some aspects of the game but overall the game is far from being horrible. Lack luster story and failure to really give a connection to previous companions was a major downfall for me. The story isn't as epic as expected for the finale, some lines seem very forced and non committed and the chat wheel got stripped down where you have two dialog choices that are basically nice and mean response. The paragon and renegade choices that you get at key points follow the same style, paragon is super nice and renegade is a worse version of the normal conversation choice. Overall the chat system and voice acting is simply adequate.

Graphics are a slight improvement with an emphasis on slight with problems with many facial animations, especially a problem with eyes rolling back into characters head all the time. Combat is a exact clone of Mass Effect 2 with some minor change ups such as a few turret sequences and Shepard solo missions. As for squad mates this was the glaring problem in my opinion, going from 12 choices (with DLC) in Mass Effect 2 back down to 6 (7 with DLC). I get this is supposed to have a vague focus on the "human story" and having a new human companion is nice but the lack of "new" unique squad mates is somewhat disappointing. Human James Vega, Robotic EDI and DLC Prothean Javik are the new comers with Garrus, Tali , Liara and Kaiden/Ashley are the returning squad mates. EDI nor Javik made me say to myself "I can't go without these people" I ended up connecting with James Vega but ran with my standard Garrus/Liara squad a majority of the game. Maybe it's me just going with the known hand or maybe the new squad mates aren't that interesting. Multiplayer for me was a pleasant and unexpected surprise. For those that don't know the multiplayer rip off "horde mode" effects your story modes "Galactic Readiness". Basically it is a great incentive to get people into the online aspect of the game by basically making it so your chances are slow bad without a high galactic readiness that you need to do at least some of it to achieve the best possible endings for the Mass Effect 3 story. Now for combat, it is basically a 4 player horde mode with some random objectives thrown in so you simply can't fortify a spot and sit there. Your main goal is to survive 11 waves of every increasing enemies, not just their numbers but strengths, each map has 3 possible enemy factions you can choose or be completely random. Reapers, Geth and Cereberus are your teams adversaries. You start out as a basic human that can be any of the games classses and as you beat waves and eventually all 11 waves you get credits and experience. Experience will let you unlock skills just like in story mode and credits can be used to buy varying equipment chests. The basic chest has common but useful items such as medi gel to heal and ammo enhancements. The mid range chest costs more but contains at least 1 uncommon item which varies from weapons to new races to play in multiplayer, along with common items like the first chest. Finally the top end chest is very expensive and requires multiple map completions to be able to afford but it guarantees a uncommon item with the decent chance of another uncommon with some common items. This mode also has a difficulty modifier, you can choose between bronze, silver and gold difficulty. The only difference is the very increased difficulty between them and the exp and credit rewards are substantially better. A side note about galactic readiness is that it will decay about 3% a day so it will need to do some multiplayer if you wish to have 100% readiness for future story play through if you wish.

Overall Mass Effect 3 is solid, it isn't the epic ending we expected from BioWare. The story we expected to be amazing came off as somewhat dull and predictable at points. The graphics had a slight improvement with unexpectedly odd facial animations but the cinematics and sound track are amazing. Your new squad mates aren't very interesting but the return of old friends that make it acceptable with enough variation. The endings aren't what I expected but the piano soundtrack during the ending mission and cinematic gave me the feeling of suspenseful hope followed by what felt as a shallow victory. The big surprise for me with Mass Effect 3 was the multiplayer, while I doubt it has the staying power needed to be super active for more then a few months, possible DLC can give a fun and usually rewarding multiplayer experience more life then it should.
  68. Mar 8, 2012
    Here lies an honest review...

Here lies an honest review...

To summarize, the story is good, if not somewhat linear. However this may come out of necessity to finish the story. While plot holes are noticeable and some pieces don't make sense, most of this can be credited to bad pacing. While given time the story and pacing become more bearable, it is a disappoint given the polish we experienced from the first two. Further more, while it is disappointing many of the decisions in the first two games make little difference here, the progression of the story is set with emotion, and can be over looked when one realizes it wasn't much different from the first two. Gameplay is good, an improvement overall. Combat is good and improved, with more variety in weaponry and tactics, though a somewhat clunky cover system hold it back in some areas, the variety you can get out of a character is amazing.
    Presentation is amazing. A great soundtrack and good voice acting bring you into the experience. Set pieces are huge and bring about a feeling of desperate times and hopelessness. The wars feel like battlefields, and covert missions feel sneaky. The story can hold this back as it isn't as polished as it could be.
    This game was extremely looked forward to by fans, and it simply couldn't please everyone, however it is stupid to rate this game low because of some disappointment. Review correctly, or don't review at all. Oh, and I forgot to review the Multiplayer, that's because it was a stupid idea, and honestly, maybe if they'd put the time they put into multiplayer into the story there would have been less pacing and plot hole issues.
  69. Mar 11, 2012
    I´m new to the Mass Effect series and, the thing that bother me the most was the 1 key do all, im on a pc ffs, It gets really slumpy, and I wasn´t really a fan of the massive cut scenes in the action mode, Ill give it a 7 because the game is huge, and have a lot of replay value compared to other games, but metascore of 92 is really to much.
  70. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found it to be a really engaging game, until the end. Yeah, I came across a few bugs and glitches here and there, but the dialogue did not bother me much. I found the voice acting to be quite good. But the ending...it just does not sit well with me...So the Reapers are synthetics that were created to kill organics to prevent them from building synthetics that would kill organics? From what I remember, the only other synthetics in the game were the Geth, which are only a few centuries old, and they were being controlled by the Reapers in the first two games. I would also like to know what happened to my old ME2 squad members, such as Miranda or Grunt, did they survive the events of ME3? The fact that they made no mention of any other squad members, other than those that get off the Normandy after it crashes on some random planet, at the end really, really bothers me. And the final scene after the credits, was this all just a story being told by some grandparent? As well, it did seem like my choices in the previous games got disregarded, though it could be I was just not paying that much attention. I also wanted to make little blue children...Other than that, I did enjoy the game. Expand
  71. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My critical review: *Contains Spoilers

Combat: 7/10

+ More guns and the improved gun upgrade/customisation is great.
    + More skills and variation of them
    + Combat is still fun and chanllenging especially on higher difficulties
    + Multiplayer is chanllenging and a nice new addition.

-You seriously can't get mo fore than 9/10 for using mostly the same thing as the last game. It is faster but more intense, but the same old flaw remain.

-Squadmate AI is crap (they are as useful as 2 extra hp bars and their powers) as usual as you painfully see them walking into obvious traps, hiding cowardly when they can obviously finish a enemy, stand in the open and get shot to smitherines, and so on. In fact, I feel squadmate AI is even worse than ME2, and ME2's squad AI was not great to start with. Hell, I even think the enemy's AI is better than my squadmates who are supposedly battle-harderned well-trained veterans. - What also baffles me is that the great feature of ME2, where your squadmates shouts when they use a power, spots an enemy flanking attempt, or kill an enemy, is almost completely gone.

Story: Before the ending: 8.5/10, after the ending, 5/10

+Some nice moments, rescuing Jack, some old reunions.
    +Some nice humor.
    +Some good representations of ethics.

- Painfully familiar and similar. ME3's main story reminds me of Dragon Age, Origins:
    In Dragon Age: Origins, the hero and his group needs to unite the races of Feralden to defeat the Darkspawns.
    In Mass Effect: 3, the hero and his squaddies need to unite the races of the Milky Way to defeat the Reapers.
    Sounds familiar? You bet.

-The ending.
    I'm not angry about the lack of logic in the ending, or the fact that it is bittersweet. It could all just be a reaper indoctrination attempt. I hope so. What I am angry about, at the moment, is the incredible lack of effort Bioware put into this ending. This is the end of a wonderful triology, this is the end of an epic story, it deserve more than a 30 second short movie of nosense.

Hell, I would gladly pay 10 bucks for a 10 minutes epilogue DLC movie that details what really happend with the Normandy, the surviving troops, and the plans for the future without the mass relays.

Sound and Music: 8/10
    +Music is still great, although a lot more dark and sad for most part of the game, compare to previous titles.
    + Reworked sound effect is good.

- Why do you remove the squadmate power usage barks? :-(

Graphics: 8/10
    I dont have a high-end computer so that I can't comment on some of the issues. Overall, rendering looks good.

Final Verdict: 7/10
    It would've been a great game, but again, the ending is a BIG letdown. I repeat, I'm no philosopher, I don't care how nosensial the space-kid is. I repeat, what make me angry about the ending is the apparent lack of effort. I repeat, the ending of a great triology deserves a little more than a stupid 30second cutscene.

Overall, a good game, but unfortunately falls below my hype and expectations for a grand finale for a great series.
  72. Jun 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ahh, the ending...THE ending...IMHO the "destroy" ending was the best to choose. But after I decided to go with it, I expected some sort of animation-closure fiesta if you know what i mean. Despite all of the negative comments and review regarding the end, I just couldn't believe that is true, so the hope existed. So, let's go with recap - Earth was saved, soldiers were celebrating + ; Normandy crew ended up on some world, we don't know how far from Earth and could they return to the homeworld - ; Were all of our team aboard the Normandy? If not, what happened to them? - ; Mass relays destroyed (ok, we have been warned), but what happens with other races? - ; Guy breathing, people are convinced that's Shepard...so am I + ; Did the people rebuilt the Earth? Or are they somewhere else (next part of ending)? - ; After the credits, there is a kid with his grandfather on unknown world and the grandfather talks about Shepard and what happened while mentioning that was a long time ago. Well, how long has it been? Are the people again unaware of other life forms (actually, I think he mentions something like that), can the people travel throughout the universe (Solar system and beyond, but not far)? - ; Buzz Aldrin's voice (Stargazer) + ; Ending recap conclusion -> +(3), -(4) = - = unacceptable

But this is game review. The entire game, except the ending, was breathtaking and definitely worth all the playing time invested throughout the series. Mixture of dramatic, bad ass, serious and humorous moment in this game is something all the other games want and hope to achieve. I would give the game 9, maybe 10, but if we account the weak ending, I must decrease my score. I seriously hope the "ending DLC" will bring more info about the aftermath of the game.
  73. Nov 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So, a few months have passed since this game was released, and I have decided to do a straight up and honest review of this game. I have a full 1080p play through on YouTube that backs my review.---------------Mass Effect 3 is a mixed bag of nuts. visually it's stunning and well choreographed. the voice acting is mostly superb. The soundtrack is spot on and will leave your spine tingling, but is also reused when it shouldn't be. There is constant chatter between characters. the combat is fluid and enjoyable. The humor is refreshing at times even when the game is trying to be serious. Every area of the game has been refined compared to 1 and 2, and yet somehow this game has not ruined the fun of replaying the first 2 games, because all three games are unique and special in their own way. --------In spite of what Bioware did right with this game, It is disheartening to think of the corners that were cut in a few spots. Be it a budget issue, or a time crunch factor, there are at least 2 noticeably gaping holes in ME3 that made me rage like only a nerd can. --------------------The first is the unmasking method of Tali, which was done so cheaply and nonchalantly that long time fans of the series instantly felt betrayed, especially Tali'Mancers. no one asked to see every Quarian without a mask, Just Tali. Instead we got a stock photo from the internet, with a couple fingers lopped off and some some half baked photo-shopping. The second Major blunder is the writing in general. Words cannot describe how poorly written and contrived the storyline of Mass Effect 3 was. The First 2 games build up in anticipation for an incredible and epic climax. When you finally get there, you are punched in the stomach, kicked in the groin, It's revealed that all the main characters in Mass Effect are idiots (i.e. - Shepard finding out how to kill a reaper, then never bringing it up again like it was a fluke, this happens twice) and then, after the fecal matter finally stops showering on us and the game is over, we are told by a pop up window to pay more money for DLC even though Shepard just died because the Catalyst is stuck in a logic loop. Again, I have an entire playthrough on YouTube that backs up my opinion.---------------All in all, a masterpiece of a game, but ruined by a storyline and conclusion that will make you wish you never played ME1 or 2 so that you never had to experience such a heartbreaking case of bad writing. Expand
  74. Feb 4, 2013
    Painfully disappointing, and I can't have been alone in expecting better. 50% of the game is mindless pandering and fan-service (unnecessary). Corners were cut and the game was clearly rushed out the door, worst: lies were told by members of the development team pre-release. Mass Effect 3 is a minefield of immersion-breaking lazy (or poor) coding, audio and graphic glitches, low resPainfully disappointing, and I can't have been alone in expecting better. 50% of the game is mindless pandering and fan-service (unnecessary). Corners were cut and the game was clearly rushed out the door, worst: lies were told by members of the development team pre-release. Mass Effect 3 is a minefield of immersion-breaking lazy (or poor) coding, audio and graphic glitches, low res textures, no DirectX 11 support, horrible animations and embarassing, fan-fic quality writing. The dialogue wheel is now completely arbitrary and the auto-dialogue is very poor, the journal is an unusable mess (bordering on non-existent) and the game cannot correctly import a character file without it looking FUBAR. In terms of gameplay, the shooter element is better than ever (fluid, fast-paced), and action sequences are great fun (although BioWare's insistence to use the SPACEBAR for everything borders on the ridiculous). Dialogue in general is riddled with clichés (the line "I'll sleep when I'm dead" is actually spoken, without irony) and the less said about the god-awful ending the better. Despite all this, the game is enjoyable at key points and some semblance of what-could-have-been is glimpsed during the Sur'Kesh, Tuchunka and Rannoch missions, however this means the game peaks halfway through before taking a nosedive. Special mention should go to the soundtrack artists (Sam Hulick especially) and the fantastic cut-scene direction, Most surprisingly though, the much dreaded multiplayer (pre-release) turned out to be an excellent addition that for me has extended Mass Effect's life by 9 months (and counting). Expand
  75. Mar 11, 2012
    Best game of the series, right up until the "push a button' ending. I still loved it, but God is that ending frustrating. It's like the end "Under The Dome" but even more frustrating. Buy it, just don't finish it.
  76. Mar 15, 2012
    I am a fan of the ME series. I've been playing with involving my self into the game and choosing the actions as I think i would choose in situations presented in the game. I've never had this feeling of being emotionally connected with the game and with the characters in game. I've felt like part of the world and each actions were sometimes very emotional for me. I cared about my friends,I am a fan of the ME series. I've been playing with involving my self into the game and choosing the actions as I think i would choose in situations presented in the game. I've never had this feeling of being emotionally connected with the game and with the characters in game. I've felt like part of the world and each actions were sometimes very emotional for me. I cared about my friends, I've tried to do the be myself in the game. I felt real emotions and that was beautiful from the first ME to the last. Amazing game with amazing epic story, incredible characters and design the best sci-fi game EVER! But why then I gave 7/10 but not 10/10? Because of ending witch is just terrible. It is hard to describe what i feel without spoilers so I will leave this topic. I feel like we deserve something else. Or do they have room for new DLC's? I hope not and that someone will explain the ending. Expand
  77. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Mass Effect trilogy has always been about decisions. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Bioware advertised that all of your decisions and all the work you have done over the last for years over, for some, a variety of play-throughs would come to fruition. This is sadly not the case, and that is the fatal flaw of Biowares conclusion to the most brilliant space opera of the young generation.

That last sentence contradicted itself. And it should, the way I'm about to go off on one of my favorite games this year. I'll say it right from the get-go: I loved Mass Effect 3. But I would have loved it if you went rogue and destroyed Earth before the Reapers could, in some ridiculous psychotic rage. Because in all honesty, that would have been a better ending. That said, I will address right from the start the major flaw of this game: The Endings. Instead of putting all your decisions together, like how you handled all the struggles in the current game, how you finished Mass Effect 2, Who lives, Who dies and the other couple hundred decisions, and putting them all in a big old formula to see how your game ends, it multiplies the entire formula by zero and asks you to chose between three relatively-equal endings. That is however, the only really diminishing feature of a stellar game. The gameplay is solid and flowing, the graphics and audio are fine, and it runs like a dream. It's a very well-built game. I think all we have here is Bioware being too great. Mass Effect 3's story is comparably worse than the first two titles. But that's only because the first two are some of the greatest in the medium's history. The series before was simply too great for fulfilling gameplay to cap off. It needed more story and a better conclusion to be accepted into the Hall of Fame, with Bioware's Baldur's Gate 2 and Neverwinter Nights.
  78. Mar 6, 2012
    The game is not as bad as some people say but it is not that great either. I have to agree with some people that the gameplay is more of a brainless shooter. Even if you choose to play this as an RPG experience from the game settings the game feels like mostly Gears of Wars than a Action-RPG like it was with its prequels. Most battles are easy and game A.I is a bit stupid too....As aboytThe game is not as bad as some people say but it is not that great either. I have to agree with some people that the gameplay is more of a brainless shooter. Even if you choose to play this as an RPG experience from the game settings the game feels like mostly Gears of Wars than a Action-RPG like it was with its prequels. Most battles are easy and game A.I is a bit stupid too....As aboyt the story of the game well it is Ok but some dialogues feel like a chore oi be honest there is nothing really that memorable from the game story perspective and you will probably feel disappointed from the game ending. Anyway it is not a bad game but not that great either in my opinion i was expecting something more epic and smart Expand
  79. Mar 6, 2012
    Reddit trolls need to **** off seriously. Its not that bad of a game, but yeah it does not deserve the high praise it has quickly received. Animations are shoddy at times, the characters are boring but I enjoyed the story (though not the ending, bit pathetic to be honest, hope there is not a fourth). The gameplay too was as enjoyable as the second but still not matching the first.

Better

Better than 2 but still not coming to as good as the first.
  80. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is good, really good. The combat system is the best one yet, and the emotions the characters makes you feel- you will get teary eyes for sure. The things that bugs me are the endings. The choices you got brainburn thinking about the previous games barely even matters here. I wanted an ending that actually offers some kind of closure, this ones feels rushed, like a last minute change. There are many unfilled holes. Fans of the saga deserved better than that. Still, good experience. Expand
  81. May 28, 2012
    Feels more like an expansion than a standalone game which is why I'm giving it a 7. However, I very much enjoyed it, just as I enjoyed Mass Effect 2. It reminds me very much of He-man the cartoon I watched as I was growing up because you do get a lot of morality spat in your face which, whilst at the time can come across as patronising and vomit inducing, actually fleshes out theFeels more like an expansion than a standalone game which is why I'm giving it a 7. However, I very much enjoyed it, just as I enjoyed Mass Effect 2. It reminds me very much of He-man the cartoon I watched as I was growing up because you do get a lot of morality spat in your face which, whilst at the time can come across as patronising and vomit inducing, actually fleshes out the experience. For the most part you are asked to make decisions which generally don't affect how the game will play, but everynow and then you are faced with making a hum-dinger of a choice which is where Mass Effect always excels. Most games require a simple choice of this or that which doesn't affect the outcome all that much, but here you are faced with choices between entire races which feel like big decisions to make and you might be thinking about the choice for a couple of minutes. And if a game can cause you to pause and think about the consequences of what you're doing for more than a nano-second then it has done good! The game itself is really more about living the story than it is being technically proficient, and I don't remember dying at any point - although I probably did. But if I did then it was only once or twice so it wasn't particulalry challenging. It did feel a little dumbed down from ME2. But for me it was a fine ending to the franchise. Not great, but fine. I would still recommend the whole lot to any gamer out there as an excellent example of an immersive experience. Expand
  82. Mar 8, 2012
    I'll get this out of the way, I was disappointed with Mass Effect 3. The graphics in ME3 are very hit and miss. During gameplay, its fast, responsive and it looks great. But cutscenes are terrible; the animations are atrocious and the shading it lackluster at best. I really do believe that Bioware took a step backwards by going with the Unreal3 or putting last time in the art assets of theI'll get this out of the way, I was disappointed with Mass Effect 3. The graphics in ME3 are very hit and miss. During gameplay, its fast, responsive and it looks great. But cutscenes are terrible; the animations are atrocious and the shading it lackluster at best. I really do believe that Bioware took a step backwards by going with the Unreal3 or putting last time in the art assets of the game. Now, a pleasant surprise was multiplayer. I didn't think it'd be good. I thought it'd be some side distraction, something to play once and toss away. But the multiplayer is actual good in its own right; just not worth $60. It does however give a really good example of what the core gameplay of the ME series is capable of. I would honestly like to see it expanded into an MMO or expanded multiplayer experience; so long as they leave the gameplay intact and perhaps allow more customization.

As for the story, I can't tell you too terribly much. It definitely appears to be on rails, much more so than ME1 or ME2. I play as a FemShep and Jennifer Hale's acting is still great, too bad my custom face didn't import worth a damn. I won't even get started on the "default" FemShep. Terrible... if you compare male and female Sheperd, you can see where they spent their time.

So in the end, is it worth getting? Right now, I'd have to say no. I was really looking forward to this game and it has ended up as a disappointment. But you should get it when the price lowers to around $30-$40. That's the price should've paid for closure (sorta) and the multiplayer experience.
  83. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can't give it a better score. So much went wrong. Biggest ****-up I see are the Canned Endings that all end in same thing(more or less). Really guys? You like Deus Ex so much you had to make a dumbed down ending for ME3 based off it? And really? Killing off a character you've progressed from start finish is just... well, Someone else here put it this way; "like a rollercoaster that ends in a brickwall." Dunno about ya'll but I didn't invest all the time in playing these games and developing my character just so I can watch you hit him/her with a "noble" death scene. If that's gonna happen, why keep up with the Romances? Speaking of Romances, not really my issue, but I'm willing to bet there's a massive horde of pissed off Talimancers who are up in arms over the "reveal". I was at least hoping they'd render the character but all you get a little picture next to your bed. So, Bioware artists should probably steer clear of the SciFi Conventions. But this all goes back to my beef with the ending. Why even have romances, friendships, ect, when you're gonna kill off the main character anyway? At least in the DA/KoTOR series' your character develops these and even in the end, they don't simply DIE(unless you're a suicidal Warden I guess.), they move on and even got a little post-plot story. In ME3 you're SOL. Nice Job Bioware. You really screwed the pooch on this one. Story is good, though it seems like someone was behind the writers with a pistol shouting "FASTER!" Everything is rushed and doesn't have the same depth as the first two. If you play for the story, Rent it. If you don't play for the story, don't bother buying it. Just go read the ending spoilers.
    Gameplay? Well, They introduced Easy Easy Easy mode. Last play through I never even lost my shields in the Narrative mode. Other than that it's Mass Effect 2 gunplay. Oh and there's Gears of War, I mean Multiplayer too. But you gotta have a Gold Live account! More money. Like Release DLC... I thought I was hearing things when they asked me if I wanted the DLC stuff when I picked up my copy.
    All together, the only redeeming factor is that I can, in fact, not feel guilty about going back and killing off everyone in ME2, since they all die anyway. There's no real way BioWare can make up for the Ending(s). At least I got to shoot the Irritating Man. Thanks BioWare, for that one little redeeming tidbit.
  84. Mar 13, 2012
    This should be a 10 out of 10 game, and for the most part is. It provided some of the most epic moments in the series. The characters we know and love are there - those who aren't permanent squadmates often have large roles to play. The major quests are set around resolving issues that the game has been building up to - namely, the genophage and the Quarian-Geth war - and are complexThis should be a 10 out of 10 game, and for the most part is. It provided some of the most epic moments in the series. The characters we know and love are there - those who aren't permanent squadmates often have large roles to play. The major quests are set around resolving issues that the game has been building up to - namely, the genophage and the Quarian-Geth war - and are complex multi-mission quests which leave you in awe. Most of the side missions, however, are repetitive drop-in-and-shoot-things quests - alright, but dull. There's also an inordinate amount of fetch quests consisting of walking past people talking, seeing a journal notification, and scanning a planet for something that you have no idea what it's for or why it's needed - which would matter less were the journal any good, but quests don't update to tell you you've found the item and a lot of the time I found myself wandering the citadel looking for an interaction marker to work out who I was supposed to give it to.

My first major gripe - Bioware claim that "you don't have to do multiplayer to get the best ending". Apparently you need >5000 effective military strength to get the 'best' ending (with some caveats depending on choices). I completed every quest, scanned every system to completion, and can't even get over 4000 (I had 3500 at the ending and that wasn't sufficient for 'best'). Yes, I know there'll undoubtedly be DLC (this was done WITH 'From Ashes') but ME is at it's heart a single-player game, and I dislike being punished because I don't want to do multiplayer (I've never played the ME series for the fighting, after all!).

Combat has been polished, however, and compared with the last couple of games is more difficult, though enemy progression does rapidly get predictable (oh look, husks, next it'll be cannibals/maruaders and then maybe a pair of beasts) or is 'a shedload of troops'. Enemy AI is much better, as was my squadmates - no more taking cover in open air and power usage was handled well.

The dialogue system has changed slightly - no neutral options, which removes possibilities - though that's the way Bioware have been pushing this since ME2, so it wasn't surprising. Dialogue with your crew has been polished, but options removed - usually it's 'click and dialogue will play while Shep wanders around', but I do like the fact your companions talk to each other now, particularly when I walk in on Garrus and James hanging out in the kitchen swapping war stories or Joker asking Liara whether her head tentacles move.

Shepard's character is also very well-developed in this - still the galactic superhero, but Bioware have managed to introduce signs of some of the stress our favourite protagonist is under by this game. Some people might not like it - I find it only makes it more real. Though one or two efforts at blatant emotional manipulation are a bit overdone.

The game builds slowly but surely, so that by the time you complete the last priority mission and begin the endgame your heart is pounding and you have the feeling that this, this will be Shepard's crowning moment. You're invested on so many levels, and it's about more than just 'get these Reapers off my lawn' with a couple of subplots coming together in the endgame. And it's brilliant, until the last 10 minutes. In the last major scene and the resulting 'ending' there are over a dozen obvious, fatal errors. The ending is illogical, the reasoning behind it proven wrong in Shepard's own experience, and the ending cutscenes show things that couldn't possibly be real. I have no issue with the endings themselves, but it's disappointing to see that after the immense attention to detail in the rest of the game - and really, every little thing I'd done or dialogue option I'd picked seemed to be reflected throughout the game - all of that just fell apart in those last few minutes.

With the current media attention and the 'change the ending' campaign, there's a lot of things being said about whining and people wanting a happy ending. I don't want a happy ending - actually, given that we're fighting an impossible foe and Earth is pretty much ravaged from the start, I'd be annoyed if I could make it through the game without sacrifices. Unfortunately, the ending quite simply doesn't make sense - it looks as though we're only seeing half the scenes we should. That is what brings this game down from a 9 or even 10 rating to a 7. Beyond that, I haven't been able to bring myself to play again. I played ME1 and 2, when I first got them, twice consecutively and did every side quest. In ME3, while I will play again, I don't see myself putting in the same amount of effort - and I will probably turn off the game before the final part of the ending. For a game like this to leave as its legacy something that makes you LESS likely to play through again - means something has gone wrong. And that's not the legacy ME deserves.
  85. Jul 4, 2012
    Ok, there are some plot holes and some strange decision were took about ending cinematics, almost identical no matter the choice you pick at the end. But I really don't get why everyone is arguing about the final: that was an epic, perfect epilogue for this marvelous saga. Almost perfect game.
  86. Mar 7, 2012
    So far i've played 10 hours, and i'm really into the game. The battle system is good, a mix from ME1 and 2, graphics and sounds are lacking though.
    Romances are ok, i like the fact that Bioware has tried to reach a bigger audience and let everyone go according to their taste.
    The story so far is ok, but from what i've heard the ending is not original at all, which is kind of sad, because this series had a lot of potential.
  87. Mar 25, 2012
    I honestly cannot understand the huge dissatisfaction with the game here. Sure, it's not perfect nor groundbreaking, but nowhere deserving of of a zero or even a 1. However, it may be due to the fact that I am not a hardcore fan of the series so plot holes and other abnormalities are missed by me. I believe there is a lot of passion for the franchise that when it doesn't go in a particularI honestly cannot understand the huge dissatisfaction with the game here. Sure, it's not perfect nor groundbreaking, but nowhere deserving of of a zero or even a 1. However, it may be due to the fact that I am not a hardcore fan of the series so plot holes and other abnormalities are missed by me. I believe there is a lot of passion for the franchise that when it doesn't go in a particular way it is completely dismissed. It is suppose to be the last installment of the series, and it seems many were expecting more. I know I was expecting a better and more grand ending, but I wasn't going to let it completely destroy the other experiences I had. (And, I almost forgot, there was a lot of controversy on the first-day release of DLC. That move by EA caused a lot of anger and probably another reason for the very low scores.)

The one flaw I felt with this game is that I felt like I wasn't playing anything new. Just a continuation of the last game. The graphics and the game play felt exactly the same. The only difference is the story is continuing. That being said, I still enjoyed the story and what was going on in the Mass Effect universe. That in itself made the game difficult to put down, and it was the only game I played for the week I purchased it.

To easily summarize: if you've played the first and second game, you will know what to expect with the third installment, with the exception of the boring exploring or scanning on the planets.
  88. Mar 7, 2013
    Heyyo, I can't believe the "checking downloadable content" bug is still in this game! I just bought it finally to finish the Mass Effect Trilogy... and I CAN'T EVEN GET PASSED THE MAIN MENU, IT JUST KEEPS SAYING "CHECKING DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT"!!! I looked on forums and everything and there's no fix other than "disconnect from the internet" which is annoying as heck JUST to play this gameHeyyo, I can't believe the "checking downloadable content" bug is still in this game! I just bought it finally to finish the Mass Effect Trilogy... and I CAN'T EVEN GET PASSED THE MAIN MENU, IT JUST KEEPS SAYING "CHECKING DOWNLOADABLE CONTENT"!!! I looked on forums and everything and there's no fix other than "disconnect from the internet" which is annoying as heck JUST to play this game so that's why it gets such a low review score. Fix your crap BioWare.. I'm an Albertan and I can't believe you guy's haven't fixed this bug still. If there's a problem? Bigger Hammer, Bigger Wrench. Get'r dun.

The gameplay is once again an improvement over the last game. It seems every Mass Effect they fine tun the combat even more which is great. I still miss the unique weapon overheating method they used in ME1 and using skills to overheat weapons was a plus.. The way they did inventory is again another welcomed change cause now you can't just bulk up on everything and have no consequences. So far? I can tell I'll love this game... just fix that stupid bug and I'll give it the score it deserves.

I'm going to play more of this game... excuse me as I unplug my network cable.
  89. Apr 30, 2013
    Mass effect 3 disappoints in several important aspects. The writing in the game is extremely uneven which really drags a game like this down. Sure there are some cool moments here and there but the story is overall really weak and the game is full of awkward and cheaply written moments. And it doesnt help that the conversation wheel is dumbed down too the absurd.

The dialogue options

The dialogue options are extremely binary and quite often they lead to the same result. The only difference is whether you get some paragon or renegade points in the end. And when you do get to make an important choice then the dialogue wheels poorly explained choices in simply not enough. The renegade/paragon options in the cutscenes also feels really cheap since you have no idea what kind of choice you are making.

Overall the game lacks the kind of interaction you would expect from a roleplaying game and the games mission-design feel extremely linear and more like an action game than a roleplaying game. Another thing worth mentioning is that this game is much more combat oriented than previous games in the series. There are very few hub-based areas in the game and you will spend the majority of your time in combat missions. Now the combat is quite good for a roleplaying game. For an action game however the combat is extremely average. The combat is a pretty basic cover-mechanic based shooter with the normal peak-shoot-duck and wait for the shield to recharge type of gameplay. It is by no means a catastrophe but it simply cant carry an entire long game like this. And chances are that you will get bored of the combat before beating this game which is a shame since that is what you are going to spend your time doing.

The focus on combat sadly also mean that a lot of the environments you are in are nothing more than boring grey/brown ruins which is kind of sad since there is a lot of cool places to the explore in the universe. You do thankfully also get to visit some pretty neat places in the game which is nice. The exploration in the game do however leave a lot of things to be desired. The maps are often extremely linear and the lack of side quest and stuff to find leads to you not feeling the need to explore. I should also note that both the item and enemy variety is quite limited which i really thought hurt the game. I believe that the limited enemy variety is particularly sad since games like this can make up all kinds of cool faunas and cultures to fight. You are sadly forced to fight the same quite boring enemies over and over again which doesn't really help the combat.

The visuals are for the most part alright but there are some low-res textures in the game here and there that just look awful by contrast. I also have issues with the weird camera angel they have chosen for the game. Something you cant fix in the extremely basic options menu.

Now despite being quite critical of the game i must mention that the game is by no means so bad that some people make it out to be. I would say that its extremely average. The game have a long list of flaws but it also have a decent amount of alright content in it. I picked it up for a cheap price and i dont regret doing that despite the games flaws. if you however go into this game expecting a traditional bioware rpg or a worthy continuation of the mass effect saga then chances are that you will be disappointed. I should also mention that the were some quite shady dlc practices involved with this game. But you should try to make up your own mind regarding that.
  90. Apr 5, 2013
    As a beloved fan of the Mass Effect series, I was without a doubt quite disappointed with this game. While the game play is good and offers a more fluid experience, I fell that they dumbed the combat down to much. They also took away most of the RPG aspect of the game I loved. The story I felt was really lacking compared to ME1 & ME2. The new characters like Diane and James were veryAs a beloved fan of the Mass Effect series, I was without a doubt quite disappointed with this game. While the game play is good and offers a more fluid experience, I fell that they dumbed the combat down to much. They also took away most of the RPG aspect of the game I loved. The story I felt was really lacking compared to ME1 & ME2. The new characters like Diane and James were very uninteresting and the graphics and animations have barely been touched since ME2. My decisions imported from the first two games didn't really impact the story and I feel like BioWare and EA were turning this game into a clone of Gears of War except in space. And what the is up with Day 1 DLC From Ashes? For a very important character relevant to the entire series and basically what it is based on? EA is obviously trying to pressure BioWare into making a more "mass-appealing game". No!

Also, the quest system is complete and utter And what happened to my narrative structure. I sometime barely see the wheel in conversations anymore! Also, the score of this game was lackluster.

Some good about the game. I thought most of the main missions were fine ad well-crafted although they ended anti-climatically and the weaponry was good. The main teammates and old puns and people from the old games appear and make the game more enjoyable. Combat is great. Checkpoints are forgiving. Powers are good. Multiplayer is fun.

And then, theirs the end. The ending of the game was so outrageous, disgusting, unethical, the biggest hypocritical scene made by BioWare that it made me mad. Even with Extended Cut DLC, it was terrible. I could have picked a better ending from my mother****ing ass.

All in all, Mass Effect 3 was hyped up to be an excellent, but failed to deliver on so many levels. However, I still enjoyed the game for what it was. But seriously, DLC in this game is pretty OK, but they make it so short for 15.00 im spending for it
  91. Apr 7, 2013
    Simply put, its a fun 3rd person shooter with rpg elements and a bad ending. The only people who don't think the ending is bad are the fan-boys or those with ADD who didn't pay attention to the story. The choices you make in the game do not affect the outcome of your ending. You get to the end and are presented with A, B, or C choice for an ending like Deus Ex did. On top of it theSimply put, its a fun 3rd person shooter with rpg elements and a bad ending. The only people who don't think the ending is bad are the fan-boys or those with ADD who didn't pay attention to the story. The choices you make in the game do not affect the outcome of your ending. You get to the end and are presented with A, B, or C choice for an ending like Deus Ex did. On top of it the ending makes no sense, and contradicts itself. It's still a fun game but the story does dissapoint. Expand
  92. Apr 26, 2013
    What to say? Im not a totally fan of Mass Effect fan, i bought the the trilogy at origin with a lot of expectations but i could not understand why this game are so famous. The entire series are so regular.
  93. Jul 5, 2013
    I can completely understand where people are coming from when they say they hated this game because of it's ending and whatnot, but what you can't ignore is the fact that until that point, the game was incredible. Seeing the characters from that past two games and even having a couple of them join your crew again brings great feelings of nostalgia and while I admit, the 'space bar to doI can completely understand where people are coming from when they say they hated this game because of it's ending and whatnot, but what you can't ignore is the fact that until that point, the game was incredible. Seeing the characters from that past two games and even having a couple of them join your crew again brings great feelings of nostalgia and while I admit, the 'space bar to do everything' concept was quite poor, the reason I play Mass Effect was for the intricate storyline and the lovable characters, not the gameplay. The basic cover shooting mechanics and the games ending stopped this from getting a 10, but, in my opinion, it's still one of the greatest gaming series of all time, and I can't wait to see what Bioware gives us with the next instalment. Expand
  94. Oct 17, 2013
    I like very much the single player version,the story is very good for me,very good graphics,a lot of characters but i have problem with the multiplayer game!I never understand what i must do there!
  95. Feb 17, 2014
    Good game, letdown of an ending. The ending alone (along with the fact that some of the previous companions aren't companions in this on) is enough to knock it down a couple of points. But combine that with the Day One DLC and you have another shameful display by EA. Come on EA, stop buying good game developers and leaching money off of them and the consumers. That being said, this isGood game, letdown of an ending. The ending alone (along with the fact that some of the previous companions aren't companions in this on) is enough to knock it down a couple of points. But combine that with the Day One DLC and you have another shameful display by EA. Come on EA, stop buying good game developers and leaching money off of them and the consumers. That being said, this is still, in no shape or form, a bad game (despite the **** ending). Expand
  96. Feb 12, 2014
    Played: Jan 2014
    Pros:
    + Actually wraps up the Mass Effect story arc + Inventory compromises between simplicity (ME2) and variety (ME1) + Additional Ending content is free Cons: - Character models don’t look updated from ME2 - Some items are highly missable and a bug seems to keep some from appearing in a store if missed I was introduced to the series through Mass Effect 2, which
    Played: Jan 2014
    Pros:
    + Actually wraps up the Mass Effect story arc
    + Inventory compromises between simplicity (ME2) and variety (ME1)
    + Additional Ending content is free
    Cons:
    - Character models don’t look updated from ME2

I was introduced to the series through Mass Effect 2, which offered some significant streamlining to make gameplay more fun than its predecessor. I eventually played ME1, but based on reviews I’d read I didn’t want to splash out $60 for ME3 so it was some time before the price came down to what I was comfortable paying.
    I’m glad I waited. While the story arc is completed with reasonable effectiveness, it features at least one prominent fallacy that I found somewhat insulting to my intelligence. After some public outcry, Bioware released some (free) additional content to explain the results of your end-game choice-and it’s a good thing it’s free, since it adds about 30sec of content. On the other hand, this series ending compares favorably compared with the non-endings featured in the string of Assassin’s Creed games by developer Ubisoft (up to you to decide if that comparison actually says anything).
    Gameplay mechanics are mostly solid, featuring a more flexible inventory that that presented in ME1, but still simplified enough that it doesn’t feel like a loot game: there are only about 5 options for each weapon type. The player can carry and use any type of weapon desired, however “heavy” weapons (anything not pistol or SMG) severely curtail use of powers. I played this on the default difficulty setting (apparently equivalent to the “Hard” setting on ME2) and only died a few times; even on death the checkpoint system allowed me to return to action and complete the game+90% of sidequests in about 50 hours. Relevant to gameplay is the occurance of “missable” items, which are supposed to appear in a special store if you fail to pick them up. Unfortunately, through some kind of bug or other problem, these items did not appear in store for me (I looked them up online to try to figure out how to complete the remaining quests). The rewards would have been small, but it is annoying to be missing a feature that is supposed to come with the game.
    There were a few things that I found even more disappointing. The character models feature the same faces and hairstyles as in previous games, and don’t appear to be any better rendered than previously. In the same vein, the pre-rendered cutscenes look as though they came straight from 2005 and it is something of a relief when they end and you are allowed to return to your machine's real-time rendering. In short: the graphics don’t seem to have improved at all since ME2, though why this would be the case is a mystery to me.
    IN SUMMARY:
    ME3 is a decent game to pick up if you like the idea of a shooter/RPG hybrid with a team. It is certainly worth the $15 or so EA games is currently charging, but still suffers from some pitfalls and you shouldn't pay more for it.
  97. Feb 23, 2014
    I liked the game, despite all of the hate, I still found the game very enjoyable. I know the decisions weren't as expansive which is a bit of a let down, but in regards to the over all game, I still enjoyed playing it. I still liked the endings, I do wish that they had more variance, but not to the point where I want to set the disc on fire and rage out. The multiplayer isn't the mostI liked the game, despite all of the hate, I still found the game very enjoyable. I know the decisions weren't as expansive which is a bit of a let down, but in regards to the over all game, I still enjoyed playing it. I still liked the endings, I do wish that they had more variance, but not to the point where I want to set the disc on fire and rage out. The multiplayer isn't the most polished, it needs work. It just feels clunky. I do agree that this game isn't as good as the last, but it is still worth playing. Expand
  98. Apr 25, 2016
    Way better than ME2 imo. It has some strong points and weak points but the biggest let down is the well known crappy ending, where all your choices didn't count which makes it one of the most unsatisfying endings in video games history. Plus the plot holes and things that are not right with the game codex.
  99. Jul 5, 2014
    A solid third person shooter with some basic RPG elements. The combat is good, the RPG elements are a little more fleshed out, and the atmosphere of impending doom well sustained. It could have been slightly better than the second instalment, but the lack of meaningful choices, numerous corridor shooting sequences, bland writing and of course the rushed nonsensical ending bring the markA solid third person shooter with some basic RPG elements. The combat is good, the RPG elements are a little more fleshed out, and the atmosphere of impending doom well sustained. It could have been slightly better than the second instalment, but the lack of meaningful choices, numerous corridor shooting sequences, bland writing and of course the rushed nonsensical ending bring the mark down below Mass Effect 2. Expand

1. Apr 11, 2012