Mass Effect 3 PC

5.5

1. Jun 5, 2012
    As far as combat goes, this is the best, cleanest, most fluid Mass Effect yet. I would say that it is the best 3rd person game I've ever played, combat and control wise. Story wise, it is easily the worst. The game lacks the bonding with the characters that Mass Effect 2 contained. The dialogue is mostly poor. We have all heard the gripes about the ending. To have an "A, B, and C" choiceAs far as combat goes, this is the best, cleanest, most fluid Mass Effect yet. I would say that it is the best 3rd person game I've ever played, combat and control wise. Story wise, it is easily the worst. The game lacks the bonding with the characters that Mass Effect 2 contained. The dialogue is mostly poor. We have all heard the gripes about the ending. To have an "A, B, and C" choice to end a game based on countless Paragon and Renegade endings is offensive. It's clear to me Bioware wanted to wrap up the series. It seems like they really rished it, even though they had a huge amount of time to work on it. The multiplayer is surprisingly enjoyable, and t made even better when played with friends. The countless unlockables are a nice touch, and free map packs are quite amazing. However, smooth gameplay and captivating multiplayer are not enough to save the game from its deplorable story. This is made worse when you remember that the reason you play a Mass Effect game is for the story. There's even a "narrative" difficulty setting for the campaign that tones the enemies' difficulty down to as though they are being controlled by toddlers. Overall, the game is worth a buy for die hard fans, but you'll end up trading it in after a few weeks. Don't expect the hundred of hours you put into Mass Effect 2 for this game. Expand
  2. Dec 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 has probably the most convoluted, lore destructive, narrative disaster of story telling I've seen in recent years. Despite few good episodes involving geth and the krogan it really isn't anything good. Introduction was confusing and not following the lore and events after the Arrival DLC, it's not the best decision if Bioware wanted to market this more towards the masses. Secondly, what was the point of ME2 if only in ME3 we are introduced with probably the most narrative breaking Deus Ex Machina device I have ever seen - the Crucible. No one knows what it does or what its for, except the hope, that this big clunk of metal can defeat antagonists - the Reapers. Shouldn't the trilogy had gone like this:
    ME1 - introducing the threat
    ME2 - learning how to stop a threat
    ME3 - stopping the threat Again, ME2 serves no purpose.
    Cerberus and their motives are as confusing as the whole TIM indoctrination by the reapers. What was the point of reapers letting to play with their mind game toys if they later on they destroyed the whole facility?
    The whole lore is utterly destroyed. Alliance are idiots, Cerberus are idiots, Reapers are idiots and Shepard is an idiot. ME1 epic was changed into ME2 space opera.
    And now the ending... Ugh.. Do I even have to start? It was the worst thing I've ever seen in story telling. The Extended Cut DLC, believe it or not, made it even worse. The ending single hand destroyed the ME1 lore, let me question Alliance strategies how to take down Reapers, and finally made antagonists into complete an utter morons. Not only the main theme was destroyed, but the fact that reapers wants to save us from ourselves by committing mass genocide of entire galaxy is the most logic breaking nonsense I've ever heard. I see what writers tried to do here, showing as much ideas and philosophies in to the main narrative, but they just didn't work, because of poor writing. So what we got is a third person RPG shooter with refined shooter elements, but extremely poor execution of RPG elements. The Quest system is probably the second worst thing in the game, it is completely broken, so is the customization. Multiplayer inclusion wasn't necessary at all.
    Overall its a convoluted package of nonsense. 2/10
  3. Jan 16, 2013
    Anyone who played the previous Mass Effect game and still thinks that this one is good in comparison is just a delusional liar, this sad excuse of a game isn't even HALF of what the previous one was and the conclusion of the story is just unbelievably bad I wonder how is it possible to utterly destroy such a promising franchise.
  4. Sep 26, 2012
    A few months ago I had never played a Mass Effect game before. To this date, right now, I have finished all of the games in the series. I'm seeing a lot of bad comments about Mass Effect 3, but personally I thought Mass Effect 3 was brilliant. The internet clouded my own judgement before I bought Mass Effect 3 a couple of days ago. The internet classed Mass Effect 3 as poor. All those badA few months ago I had never played a Mass Effect game before. To this date, right now, I have finished all of the games in the series. I'm seeing a lot of bad comments about Mass Effect 3, but personally I thought Mass Effect 3 was brilliant. The internet clouded my own judgement before I bought Mass Effect 3 a couple of days ago. The internet classed Mass Effect 3 as poor. All those bad comments made me think Mass Effect 3 would be poor. I wanted to see for myself. Now I can firmly say - the internet is filled with idiots. Mass Effect 3 is the best game I've played this year. Mass Effect 3 is an emotional adventure filled with shocks and excitement. Commander Shepard would be dissapointed with these people giving Mass Effect 3 a bad score. Expand
  5. May 7, 2012
    Every person should have been taught at one point that you don't make promises you can't keep. But the moneygrubbing at it's finest gives you an imcomplete story and experience
  6. Apr 3, 2012
    Terrible game, ridiculously mind-numbingly BORING...the last squeeze from a exhausted cash cow who's moments are long past the ole' family farm. You'll ask yourself while playing "wow? are people actually buying this slop?" The answer is EA games...they don't make games, they make deadlines! and they **** over everyone else in the moneygrubbing process. Too many business degrees who neverTerrible game, ridiculously mind-numbingly BORING...the last squeeze from a exhausted cash cow who's moments are long past the ole' family farm. You'll ask yourself while playing "wow? are people actually buying this slop?" The answer is EA games...they don't make games, they make deadlines! and they **** over everyone else in the moneygrubbing process. Too many business degrees who never played games now trying to sell them.... I don't even recommend the pirated version of this game ...it's that bad. Expand
  7. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I finished the game twice. First time with standard Bioware settings and it felt empty and lacking. It just wasn't 'it'. But when I loaded my save from Mass Effect 2 game changed a lot. There was more meaning to what I did, some random NPC-s were changed to my old squad mates and game became suddenly very, emotional and entertaining.

It was very enjoyable experience until ending came... Then I just realised how would it feel to be punched in the... well, you know where by Mike Tyson... three times...

Three nearly identical endings, every one of them equally terrible. There was no meaning to your choices, no consequences, nothing! And then lack of epilogue hit me in the face. Not even some text like in Dragon Age, just small pop-up "Yay! You have become a legend! Now go and buy our DLC-s!"... Worst ending I ever experienced in my 10 years of gaming... So to sum it up, 9/10 for the game, 1/10 for the ending... Just play the game, it;s great... but just before the end turn it off, you won't be heartbroken as I was...
  8. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. As a sci-fi fan and lover of the Mass Effect series and universe I found myself just contemplating what to say about the game.

I personally like the graphics and it feels much more detailed than the previous games. Animations didn't bother me much. There were however a few annoying bugs. The one that mainly pissed me off was the inability to import my custom face from ME1 and 2. There were also issues with squad members becoming stuck and "blocked".

Combat is much more intense and although the multiplayer is kind of weak, it is something that I enjoy. I personally don't think it's worthy of being called co-op. Co-op for me is playing through a story campaign (such as Left 4 Dead, Dead Island and Aliens - Colonial Marines)

*SPOILERS*

The story in Mass Effect 3 is brutal and the Normandy retrofit gives it a dark and foreboding feeling. Since my custom face wouldn't import properly I tried to re-create it, but I ended up with someone looking like a cross between Dominic Purcell (from Prison Break) and Jason Statham. It is clear that the events of Arrival took a heavy emotional toll on Shepherd and the early parts of the game does leave emotional scars. For me, his haunted look shines through when looking at Tali's photo frame in the cabin. It was nice to see Tali's face but the manner of which they showed her face was very disappointing, and to top it off it was a photoshopped "free license" photo from the internet. I had a vague recollection of seeing it before, until someone posted an actual link.

Looking at the story up until the ending, I think it is actually well-written and very tense. It is too bad that it has been streamlined. The dialogs and voice acting are very good and I like the character interactions. I laughed when Tali got drunk and complained about the "induction tube".. "Tali.. it's a straw!"

Mass Effect 3 is a beautiful game, and I have very mixed feelings about the ending. I got the "best" ending where Shepherd apparantly survived.

It's difficult to see how they would make a sequel when every relay gets destroyed.. How they would make an MMO out of this mess is beyond me, unless some clever writer comes up with something clever.

Liara mentioned something about multiple effects in parallell universes (or something like that.. i don't remember exactly) so perhaps that is a faint clue of what's to come (if anything).

Perhaps they could discover some abandoned Cerberus project relating to FTL travel without the need of relays, such as an obsolete cruiser with a prototype FTL drive that was inactive during the events that destroyed the relays.

The "aftermath" storyline could be something relating to this and trying to rebuild and reconnect the galaxy again.

Speculations.. thoughts.. hopes.

For now, with the ending that ME3 got, I can't give it more than a 5-6 ish on the scale. It MAY deserve an alteration if Bioware does something about it. I understand why alot of people are unhappy with the game. It's like uncovering a Mona Lisa only to have someone spill a bucket of paint on it.
  9. Oct 8, 2012
    Mass effect 3 has his flaws but overall it's a great game. Bioware has exceeded as always with their story telling till the end. If you ever think that is a unfair assumption then consider the fact that their biggest selling point of the game since day one is that your actions matter. This is completely taken away in my opinion by the progress bar instead of adding as many upgrades orMass effect 3 has his flaws but overall it's a great game. Bioware has exceeded as always with their story telling till the end. If you ever think that is a unfair assumption then consider the fact that their biggest selling point of the game since day one is that your actions matter. This is completely taken away in my opinion by the progress bar instead of adding as many upgrades or doing hero missions and hoping for the best. Also in accordance to the ending I would've preferred a sequence of screen-caps and text like fallout did which would go over your choices and their consequences in more detail instead of being rewarded your choice of 3 different colors. Ignoring the dismal ending the story and universe in my opinion is more realized and alive then any other game or even movie for that matter, I'm a Star Wars fanboy and I enjoy the mass effect universe better. The game play through the games have gotten simpler and more casual per sequel but the gameplay is still as strong as ever. That's why I give this game a 9 of 10 Expand
  10. May 19, 2012
    why would we be bothered to play whole 3 games at all while we could chose 3 identically same choice at the end . just color of lights are changing..seriously ??
  11. May 20, 2012
    I am soooo mad! Why did the writers write such a dumb ending? Us fans are so mad! They should make a mass effect 3: part ii so they can write a better ending! I am so sad why would they do such a thing! I wanna cry! Mommy!!!
  12. Jun 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass effect is a game that tries to appease old fans and be a natural starting point for new fans sadly it fails at both new fans will feel overwhelmed by the situations while old fans will feel betrayed by the lack of differences in choices, i will elaborate on both but i would like this time to say the there will be spoilers

spoiler alert

new fans wont understand the gravity of the geth quarian conflict and wont feel the much passion when the shepard (the protagonist) talks about the sacrifice of a squad-mate that occurred in the first game, its also a bit overwhelming to be dumped in to this world with a lack of understanding of the different races

older fans will play a much more dumbed down version of the game, as the organization that you may have helped in previous game will be your enemy no matter what you did before, the game is also much more linear then previous games, and your a pigeon-holed in the the ending no matter what happens

if your new to the series, you will still be taken on an emotional roller coaster that you may enjoy and this game should be rated a 6/10

however if your a new fan the ending (at least for me) actually makes the two previous games worse meaning that this game should be given a negative score, as i am a fan of the previous games i will give it the lowest possible score of "0", as im not allowed to give the game a negative 20 for ruining the other two 10/10 games in the series
  13. Jul 1, 2012
    As a fan of the two previous mass effects I have to say this was a let down, some gameplay issues, story is decent to a point, but what hurt most was the ending. Bioware not think that throwing there own lore out the window would hurt the fans really took me aback. Since the extended cut was released it fixed some issues but still leaves a bad taste in your mouth, plus a few new plotAs a fan of the two previous mass effects I have to say this was a let down, some gameplay issues, story is decent to a point, but what hurt most was the ending. Bioware not think that throwing there own lore out the window would hurt the fans really took me aback. Since the extended cut was released it fixed some issues but still leaves a bad taste in your mouth, plus a few new plot holes. An unfortunate ending to what was a good series. Expand
  14. Mar 22, 2013
    Mass of Duty 3: console edition! Now available for your PC! Buy now to experience horrible Xbox 360 graphics, low fov and poor controls! Buy now and get a weak ending for free! Buy now and buy dlc later! 0/10 for this garbage.
  15. Jul 28, 2012
    besides the much complained about ending ME3 lacks a lot of good rpg gameplay that ME2 did have. In ME3 there are too many cutscenjes although the graphics are awesome. Another miss is that you cannot see if you have completed your quest correctly. This is only possible when you search for the person who gave you the quest.That and many more little off things make this a pale releasebesides the much complained about ending ME3 lacks a lot of good rpg gameplay that ME2 did have. In ME3 there are too many cutscenjes although the graphics are awesome. Another miss is that you cannot see if you have completed your quest correctly. This is only possible when you search for the person who gave you the quest.That and many more little off things make this a pale release when compared to it's predecessor who was already receievd as an alltime classic but maybe part 3 stole that status from it again... Expand
  16. Oct 2, 2012
    I have enjoyed the ME franchise as it progressed and liked each one a bit more than its predecessor. The game, if you play it to its fullest, is as long and complex as its predecessors and the story is well written. I know that there were a lot of people who felt let down by the ending but I found it to be not only appropriate but tense and meaningful. I have yet to play the revisedI have enjoyed the ME franchise as it progressed and liked each one a bit more than its predecessor. The game, if you play it to its fullest, is as long and complex as its predecessors and the story is well written. I know that there were a lot of people who felt let down by the ending but I found it to be not only appropriate but tense and meaningful. I have yet to play the revised ending and have picked up the DLCs but not played those yet either. The multiplayer is an interesting addition and quite fun as an addition to the game. I guess, given the visceral negative reviews, that the mere presence of EA has given rise to instant dismissal of what I think is a well done game. Expand
  17. Mar 5, 2013
    I'm not going to take some kind of moral stance on this game. The gameplay was fun, the ending ruined it for me. I was genuinely very unhappy when I stopped playing the game. That shouldn't happen.
  18. Mar 7, 2013
    It could have been so good, but it fell short.

Mass Effect 3 is a decent game, scared by some bad design decisions and an awful, inconsistent ending. The combat in the game is more fluent than the predecessors, the graphics is generally crisp despite Shepard still feel sluggish when running around and navigating the (static) world. The writing is decent in this game, however it does
    It could have been so good, but it fell short.

The combat in the game is more fluent than the predecessors, the graphics is generally crisp despite Shepard still feel sluggish when running around and navigating the (static) world. The writing is decent in this game, however it does occasionally feel very 'soap'-television. Some of the characters are also very under represented in this game (especially characters like Jack, Miranda and so on). Even Ashley feels tacked on.
    Bioware's attempt at trying to set a dark atmosphere of doom and despair falls short in the game and it feels like many of the games 'sad' moments are so obvious that it's like trying to force an emotion more than build an emotion. Save perhaps for 'Mordin Solus' which is as brilliant a character in this as 'he' was in ME2.

Weapon modifications are back (yah). Although you quickly learn to just pick the best weapon and use. The most redeeming part of ME3 is the music. Brilliant music. I can even listen to that while not playing the game that's how good some of the pieces are. However the quest system in this game is bad, very bad. Basically you have some main quests which drive the story forth. These are mostly gotten via the main characters. Then there's some side quests which is gotten via the mail terminal. Not much different than ME2.
    However then there's quests gotten from listening in on random people which pops up and requires you to 'scan' planets, and then pick up the item via the scan.
    However the journal system and lack of inventory works very much against this type of quests. The 'escape reapers' type-mini game or what it is, is just awful. And I don't know what they thought of bringing that into the game.

And of course, the over shadowing ending, which invalidates and contradict much of the storyline from ME1 and ME2 (really obvious if playing all 3 in sequence). Makes most all of your choices throughout the previous game irrelevant. It did feel like leaving the game without an actual conclusion. The extended cut ending did not make matters much better, except as an insult to the fan groups which were disappointed.

The DLCs for the game are decent, but no where near the quality of Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2. Omega is very combat orientated, which is okay in itself, but it's not really Mass Effect.
    Leviathan felt tacked on and much more like an attempt to build an in-game foundation for the ending more than anything. Citadel fun, but eventually irrelevant as it feels strange to put that into the middle of an all out war for the survival of the universe as 'we' know it. But well it's a farewell and a last money grab by Bioware.

Mass Effect 3 is a decent game. It's not an action-roleplaying as ME1 was. It's a better shooter than ME2, but it's properly too much shooter for many RPG fans, and not enough for the shooter fans. Bioware tried to grab both, but for what it could have been it falls tragically short of the target. Potential but lack of implementation.
    Bioware basically dropped the ball. It's worth a playthrough from the bargain bin, but knowing what I know now, I would not have bought it at release.
  19. May 11, 2013
    I don't understand why critics are giving this game good reviews. The story the gameplay and every other mechanic that could be dumbed down was. I was disappointed at the ending because one of my all time favourite RPG games was turned into a third person shooter and not an RPG.
  20. Sep 14, 2013
    Still a letdown, years later. ME3 is a reminder that the world needs a real RPG revival. The age of dumbing down must end. Unfortunately, EA has announced that it has no intention of supporting future RPGs that don't involve micro-transactions, so there may be more dark days ahead. ME3 is, however, a decent cover-based shooter. It certainly has more characterization than mostStill a letdown, years later. ME3 is a reminder that the world needs a real RPG revival. The age of dumbing down must end. Unfortunately, EA has announced that it has no intention of supporting future RPGs that don't involve micro-transactions, so there may be more dark days ahead. ME3 is, however, a decent cover-based shooter. It certainly has more characterization than most shooters, which is nice. That is small consolation for RPG fans, who have plenty of options in the over-saturated shooter market, if that is what they wanted to play (it isn't). Don't support ME3, even if it is on sale in the bargain bin. Expand
  21. Jan 25, 2014
    The good and bad of Mass Effect 3:

Good: 1. Vastly improved levelling system that gives a noticeable upgrade with every skill point added. 2. Much more weapon variety. 3. Good weapon modding. Bad: 1. Terrible controls which rely on one button for virtually every action. Attempting to use an object while moving often results in the character launching themselves across the room or
    The good and bad of Mass Effect 3:

Good:
    2. Much more weapon variety.
    3. Good weapon modding.

Bad:
    1. Terrible controls which rely on one button for virtually every action. Attempting to use an object while moving often results in the character launching themselves across the room or getting out of cover, also no crouch button means the character sometimes stands up in the middle of fire-fights.
    2. Stupid ally AI. Allies are happy to stand out of cover while getting shot at, disappear in the middle of fights or refuse to shoot at enemies.
    3. Levelling is way too fast. In the first mission for example I increased my level three times.
    4. Side missions are boring. The majority of side missions involve jumping to a sector and right clicking a few times. These are necessary for game completion and a real chore.
    5. Player interaction is limited. Much crew interaction does not occur in cut-scenes and player has no control over their own responses. Dialog during missions is within cut-scenes but player still does not get to choose as many responses as in previous games. A Cynical person might assume this problem is due to laziness on the writers/animators part.
    6. Non player characters are boring. Character development appears to have taken a back seat in this game as both new and returning characters have little to say. The only interesting development I caught was jokers relationship but I managed to miss its resolution.
    7. Decisions in previous games appear to have little impact.
    8. Terrible level design. Levels are designed in a boxy arena style and clearly just recycled multiplayer maps, recycled so lazily as to have loads of ammo caches everywhere.
    9. Mandatory multiplayer. In order to get a good ending player is required to play multiplayer battles. This effectively precludes players with poor internet from experiencing some of the single player content.
    10. Dull, dull, dull combat. Most of the interesting enemies appear to have been removed: In combat I have mostly just faced a load of dudes with progressively bigger guns.
    11. Plot points from previous games are ignored. Shepard appears to answer to the alliance now when he was a spectre in the previous game for example.

There are tonne more issues but really it all boils down to this: In attempting to broaden their customer base Bioware have turned the most exciting and deep RPG/FPS ever into a complete mess with little appeal to lovers of either genre. Both of the prequels I have played many times, including all the DLC, but ME3 was only good enough to get me to play until about five minutes into the final mission once.

A huge disappointment.

(also my characters run animation makes her look like she has sh** her pants)
  22. Jan 17, 2015
    A huge disappointment compared to Mass Effect 1. Just as bad as Mass Effect 2. No RPG elements, **** upgrading, awful main story, **** dialogue and characters...
  23. Oct 10, 2012
    Not a terrible game like people make it out to be (after hating the ending) but it's not as good as the last two either. For me ME2 reflects the pinnacle of the series and this was definitely the nadir. The main issue with this game is that it's been 5 years since ME1 came out and 2 since ME2, but there's been virtually no innovation since then. ME2 didn't have too much innovation eitherNot a terrible game like people make it out to be (after hating the ending) but it's not as good as the last two either. For me ME2 reflects the pinnacle of the series and this was definitely the nadir. The main issue with this game is that it's been 5 years since ME1 came out and 2 since ME2, but there's been virtually no innovation since then. ME2 didn't have too much innovation either but it streamlined everything down and expanded on ME's strengths with a better class system and weapon's system etc. This game feels more like an expansion of ME2 rather than a full fledged stand alone title, sadly. There's also a very distinct 'cookie-cutter' feel here that makes it seem like you've played this game before beneath a different coat of paint. It doesn't really feel like a lot of love was thrown into the project, just following a formula and spitting out the results. It feels very artificial and contrived and there's very little in the way of surprises. It makes the whole thing feel a bit tired and boring. As negative as this all sounds it's still a decent game; you can't really suck when you copy ME2. Not as thrilling or as suspenseful and addicting as its predecessors. Expand
  24. May 14, 2012
    Most of the game was pretty good, certainly an improvement on the risable second game. The ending ruined it all. At best it was imcomplete, at worst a complete runiation of everything you had done in the game. A true shame such a great series ends on such a damp squib..
  25. Apr 18, 2012
    I don't think its fair to give Mass Effect 3 a rating purely based on the ending. The first 95% of the game was fantastic, very engaging and fun, I did have issues however with how the player characters voice acting was handled the amount of auto dialogue really took away any feeling that Shepard was actually my character rather than Biowares. Multiplayer is actually surprisingly funI don't think its fair to give Mass Effect 3 a rating purely based on the ending. The first 95% of the game was fantastic, very engaging and fun, I did have issues however with how the player characters voice acting was handled the amount of auto dialogue really took away any feeling that Shepard was actually my character rather than Biowares. Multiplayer is actually surprisingly fun although does have a tenancy to get repetitive. The last 10% of the game about from Priority: Cerberus onwards was a really big let down for me, they didn't do a good job for the finale of the series and this is especially disappointing given how good other sections of the game where. A good game but does not live up to its predecessors. Expand
  26. Apr 1, 2012
    I have to say a lot of the game was great. The mix of Mass Effect 1 and 2 as far as gameplay was concerned was great, combat has never been as fun and the environments were dynamic and interesting for the most part. Team interactions were good, although a bit sparse for my liking (character interactions were what drew me to the series) However there are many major flaws. Yes the ending isI have to say a lot of the game was great. The mix of Mass Effect 1 and 2 as far as gameplay was concerned was great, combat has never been as fun and the environments were dynamic and interesting for the most part. Team interactions were good, although a bit sparse for my liking (character interactions were what drew me to the series) However there are many major flaws. Yes the ending is pretty weak for a lot a of reasons. A lack of catharsis with your teammates, it's too open ended with far too few questions answered. Another problem with it that irks me, but doesn't seem to have come up in other reviews is how little the choices I made in the game seemed to effect the ending. I worked my butt off scraping together every little resource I could find and every ally and army I could muster and for the most part it seemed to have no impact on the end fight at all. There was a 5 second extra cutscene of two of the armadas I put together but that was it? Why did I bother? Why did I only see Turrians, Humans and Krogans and Assari at the end? Why did I have a lame human strike force when I worked so hard at making allies with various alien races? The Journey was great but the end seemed... well pointless. The series offered so many choices I feel like bioware thought they couldn't wrap everything up... so they didn't Expand
  27. Apr 28, 2013
    This game is a fistula. What is a fistula? In anatomic terms it's an abnormal hole connecting two things that should not be connected. One of the most problematic is obstetric fistula which connects the vagina (awesome) with the bowels (super not-awesome). This game connects amazing writing, good gameplay with a ending.

You can't fix this game's ending but you can help women world-wide

You can't fix this game's ending but you can help women world-wide suffering from obstetric fistula. Go to http://www.fistulafoundation.org/ and donate today!
  28. Jul 24, 2012
    the removal of neutral dialogue options was a huge disappointment for me, as I enjoy playing these games as a mixed paragon/renegade as opposed to going 100% for one or the other. What I loved about the previous games was that you could go full renegade, get an ending that was totally suited to your decisions, and it was a perfectly acceptable way to play. Being renegade wasn't "bad", itthe removal of neutral dialogue options was a huge disappointment for me, as I enjoy playing these games as a mixed paragon/renegade as opposed to going 100% for one or the other. What I loved about the previous games was that you could go full renegade, get an ending that was totally suited to your decisions, and it was a perfectly acceptable way to play. Being renegade wasn't "bad", it was just a different way to get things done. Neutral and paragon were simply other, equally viable ways to finish a game and experience it differently.

But in mass effect 3, that all changes. Renegade becomes very much an option that the developers punish you for choosing, while paragon becomes the obvious "correct choice" option, and neither of the better outcomes to major situations are available if you mix paragon and renegade. You will also be punished for playing the game as a neutral character; you either go 100% renegade or 100% paragon.

But in the end all of that is meaningless, because no matter what paths you chose earlier in the game, you will be shunted into the same 3 choices of endings
  29. Apr 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gameplay - The Good: The combat is much faster paced, being able to use any weapon but balanced by the weight factor is a nice improvement, being able to dive/roll is a nice improvement. The enemy variety, particularly the Cerberus troops with their deployable turrets and shield generators, as well as high priority targets and dangerous melee opponents forces much more tactical and engaging combat. The mounted turret combat and the mech you can pilot are nice breaks from the cover shooter gameplay. Powers are also a bit more responsive and easy to use. The Bad: still the annoying problem of 1 button does about 6 different things. and now roll is added to the list making it even more annoying when your Shepard doesn't do what you want because everything is the same button. The quest log is an absolute disaster, every single stage of every quest is static text for that quest. there is no way to tell if you have an item for a fetch quest or not. you may end up flying around systems dodging reapers looking for something only to realize you already have it, and then you have to go and find the person that needs it, and the quest tracking is sketchy at best, and non-existent most of the rest of the time. There are also about half the squad members as the previous game. Squad AI is still pretty dumb. Also. the multiplayer is required to get the best ending for singleplayer... this is absolute garbage, I don't intend to ever play multiplayer and trying to force me to play it so you can try to milk more cash with the "buy the mystery box" thing? seriously? f*** you. disconnect singlplayer and multiplayer and I would have no problems with it, despite the obvious money grab. Graphics, atmosphere and technical - The Good: Facial Textures are improved, and the game runs a lot cooler on my system, so an optimization improvement only a couple crashes in around 45 hours. the music may be composed by someone else but its still very good and captures moods well. The voice acting is top notch as always, and the characters are as good as ever. The Bad: some blocky shadows and some really low res textures every now and then particularly distant textures with a bit of texture pop-in but nothing terrible. The Story- The Good: 98% of the game is just as brilliant as the other 2 games in the series, you can see all the effects of your choices from the previous 2 games, characters may help you out if you saved them in a previous game ect... the war assets system is quite good as it gives an additional bonus to just fetching something, it adds the number, and a little flavor text making it feel like everything you do is helping the war effort. and the entire tone and pace of the game are very desperate, as it should be for a war against super machines of doom. The Bad: THE ENDING... omfg the ending is appalling. suffice it to say, all the negativity about the ending is well founded. full of plot holes, ignores all choices made and comes down to choose a color, but it doesn't even matter they're all the same. Other than the ending, the rest of the game is brilliant and well made. Another complaint I have is the complete removal of the neutral option from the conversation wheel, its only paragon or renegade now and there seem to be fewer conversation choices during cut scenes overall. kind of annoying but not game breaking, and it doesn't take much away from the story. Also, why is Shepard being so bothered by some little kid's death after all the s*** hes seen? Also, Tali's Face... wtf is that Bioware? couldn't be bothered to make a 3d model? Now you may be wondering, why the 6/10? 5 reasons. 1. the ending is a steaming sack of s*** -1 2. After the crap ending there is a screen telling me to buy DLC... rubs salt in a fresh wound -.5 3. forcing multiplayer that effects singleplayer -1 4. Have to deal with that pile of crap called origin to play it. -.5 5. Day one DLC on the Disc, just to be greedy and milk consumers with corrupt business practices. -1 The only serious issues with the game itself is the ending and the forced multiplayer. But I can't stand by and deal with such horrid business practices, part of the product being reviewed is the purchasing options and service, and these should be included in the rating ihmo. I blame EA for these failings of service, Bioware made a great sequel to a great series (minus the ending) and EA mired the whole thing with their greedy corruption. EA, gtfo, and bioware, fix the damn ending, and disconnect multiplayer and singleplayer please Expand
  30. Apr 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have played Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2. I loved this story.

Before Mass Effect 3 I had utter confidence in Bioware's mantra of "interactive storytelling." It was true. Stepping into the game was like my own imagination had come to life.

Gameplay wise, this game is fun. Nothing that hasn't been done before, but compared to the previous two games the combat is significantly improved.

All issues come down to design. From war assets being just text to multiplayer being necessary for the "best" ending, not to mention rampant DLC advertising, many elements feel unfinished, bugs feel unpolished, and the 4th wall is repeatedly and shamelessly broken.

But worst of all is the ending. Not only is it littered full of plot holes, it makes no sense as to what an "epic" is. Not the word used as slang, but a readily definable genre with rules of decorum that only great writers are able to break.

Mac Walters is not a great writer. Hell, the quality of the conversations this time around means the writing team has gotten pretty lousy. SSSTEEEEEVVVEEEE!

But imagine if Return of the Jedi had ended with the Death Star exploding and then finishing with the end sequence of 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's kind of like that.

Which makes this unforgivable. You can't screw up the story when your company's greatest pride is "interactive storytelling" and then botch both aspects.
  31. Apr 15, 2012
    All those who don't live in caves in North Africa subsisting entirely on raw meat and the supply of family head lice will know the format of this review. Bluntly expressed: the majority of the game was superb if slightly lacking in narrative depth, while the ending was the biggest pile of tripe since mass seppuku on a japanese poultry farm. The fact that this view has been repeated andAll those who don't live in caves in North Africa subsisting entirely on raw meat and the supply of family head lice will know the format of this review. Bluntly expressed: the majority of the game was superb if slightly lacking in narrative depth, while the ending was the biggest pile of tripe since mass seppuku on a japanese poultry farm. The fact that this view has been repeated and reaffirmed in every civilised country with a stable entertainment economy and a workable internet connection is convincing proof of its validity. Around the world, captivated fans connected with the games' characters and narrative on an unprecedented emotional level, only to receive an ending so irreconcilable with what precedes it as to leave the series effectively unfinished. So many holes are opened in the overarching plot that what finality remains is unfulfilling and unsatisfying. As a series, Mass Effect is established on a set of fundamental points, all of which have come to be both cherished and expected by the gaming community at large: good writing, player choice, and a compelling continuity and flow of narrative. The promised "epic conclusion" of the series consequently shocked and angered players for bluntly denying them these three things; the writing made no sense, what choice players were given had little to no relation to previous events, and the final cinematic left the back-story as devoid of stimulation and open-ended as a limbless corpse. This total reversal of quality is, in many ways, what makes the ending so shockingly and overwhelmingly **** Had the ending been the culmination of "Back Street Tokyo Hand Job Queen 7", the audience feedback would not have been nearly as unanimously negative. Despite making no contextual sense in this scenario, and the illiteracy of any prospective audience, the ending's qualitative relativity would have been a lot less stark. However, arguably more frustrating for hordes of belligerent gamers is the absolute lack of official recognition for this obvious shortcoming. Such critical giants as IGN and Gamespot completely ignore the existence of the game's final sequence in many of their respective reviews, instead brushing over the problem with arbitrary and periphrastic adjectives. Worse still, the developers of the game themselves hide behind the age-old excuse of artistic licence, with the catastrophic final sequence being described as integral to "the team's artistic vision". Certainly, Bioware's errant artistic wankery is evident in their unsubtle use of clichéd visual metaphors and symbols; children representing innocence, naivety, and spiritual purity are possibly only superseded in terms of frequency in Western literature by the colour-coding of blue for good, red for bad. Gamers went in to Mass Effect 3 expecting an ending to which they could play Flight of the Valkyries or the Dies Irae from Vivaldi's Requiem. Instead, they received an ending barely worthy of Messiaen at his most arrhythmic and atonal. In the end, any reviewer's rating is a tip of the scales: to what subjective extent did the final ten minutes outweigh three games' worth of fantastic content? In my personal view, Bioware has unwittingly pushed its three greatest children off a bridge. We can only pray that they follow Conan-Doyle, pull Mass Effect out of the mud, and give it the bad-ass and well-written funeral it deserves. Expand
  32. Apr 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a fair game. I loved ME1, was not disappointed by ME2 and, generally, considered myself quite a fan of the series. The gameplay basically stays the same as in ME2, with the main exception being planet scanning, which was drastically improved. Still, the main cons go like this: - Some central plot point choices are illogical and, actually, hard to believe.
    - Animations are average - the cutscenes have huge pauses in the dialogues which is quite strange for a game so heavily reliant on these
    - Quest journal is technically inadequate. Although the side quests are not central to the game you have no idea what state of the quest are you in.
    - Some storylines are uninvolving and feel like these were only implemented to formally check off some loose ends.
    - Multiplayer necessary for the "better" endings. (I wonder if my memory fails me - I was sure I read somewhere, that it won't...)

Still, the gameplay is quite adequate (if not new). The setting quite often drives you forward and the involving pieces of the scenario are scattered here and there. And the best part (for me) of the series - the characters are, for the most part, still very good. Unfortunately, the whole experience is kinda let down by the ending. After reading a lot of opinions and hearing Bioware's promises on "improving the experience" in a free DLC I must say, that although the steps promised is the only acceptable course of action these are still not enough to bind me back to the series. Someone compared the current state of affairs with pulling off a plaster - this describes my feelings quite well.
  33. May 1, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a great game, but the unsuitable ending ruined it. And yes, games is an art-form, but Bioware promised 16 Different endings. 16! Not 3 (1 to be exact) with different colors. 7 out of 10.
  34. May 15, 2012
    What a pathetic excuse for a game in comparison to its predecessors and the game we were promised.
    The gameplay is still as bad as the previous two, but the character, writing, choices and atmosphere from the previous two have been stripped as much as possible to appeal to the Call of Duty audience.
    What a shame.
  35. Jun 8, 2012
    There is nothing wrong with creative freedom, as long as you don't get "creative" when you describe a product. After all false statements in advertisements used to deceive the customers and generate more sales isn't considered artistic integrity, it is called fraud. Bioware spent months to explain that in Mass Effect 3 our choices will shape the world, and as they don't plan to continueThere is nothing wrong with creative freedom, as long as you don't get "creative" when you describe a product. After all false statements in advertisements used to deceive the customers and generate more sales isn't considered artistic integrity, it is called fraud. Bioware spent months to explain that in Mass Effect 3 our choices will shape the world, and as they don't plan to continue the story, we can get very different endings. The world can be very very different based on our choices. In the end, our choices didn't matter.

Lack of choice and strange ending alone wouldn't be a problem. After all we know stories of games can't be perfect and the last 3 minutes aren't that important. We are free to imagine any different ending as the story won't continue. Who cares? And the game was fun until that point. The problem is: The game was a let down, because Bioware lied to us, deceived us. And after a huge let down, players can be disappointed and it can turn the gameplay experience sour and can remove any replay value. This feeling isn't here for 5 minutes at end, it is here the whole time we try to replay the game, would try our luck in multiplayer, etc. As long as EA doesn't understand that we buy games because we want to have fun, and being angry at a publisher and feeling anger whenever you see an EA game can ruin the fun. If you ignore what Bioware has promised, buy the game now, it won't be a disappointment. But otherwise even good graphics, entertianing gameplay, etc. wouldn't redeem the issue about ending and forced multiplayer farming. So the game doesn't deserve a "Better than mixed" rating. Because even if I would love graphics, character customization, gameplay, story, etc. the let down at the end can sour it all.
  36. May 22, 2012
    I'm a little late to the party, but I wished to give a unbiased view of the last instalment of one the best series in modern gaming.

I played through ME1, ME2 and pulled my saves over before beginning ME3 Mass Effect 3 suffers from some over sights and issues surrounding its storytelling. There are now time based missions which your never informed of how long you've got, but with

I played through ME1, ME2 and pulled my saves over before beginning ME3

Mass Effect 3 suffers from some over sights and issues surrounding its storytelling. There are now time based missions which your never informed of how long you've got, but with fairness to Bioware while annoying probably more accurately represents the galaxy this time round as the Reapers have returned so worlds are falling on a daily basis so missions disappear as the reapers strike, or world situations change. On the subject of worlds scanning planets has changed to a radar pulse from the ship which attracts Reaper attention, while the side missions of merc bases, crash ships etc from ME1 and ME2 have almost completely disappeared, exploration this time has been severely reduced, un fortunately this was one of the merits of Mass Effect that is was a RPG shooter with exploration, your railroaded into following the story with very little room to manoeuvre in the traditional role of exploration, while i'd like to do this with the current state of the Galaxy you'd be hard pressed to be wasting time exploring. The combat system is improved but the streamlined controls seemed to have made setup of hotbars impossible, this i found frustrating in heavy combat as the hotbar layout isn't how i'd have it setup, a minor point but another change to the series. other than that it plays better than previous games, and your loadout of weapons affects your ability cooldown timers, interesting idea as it makes you think about the weapons you need, upposed to taking everything, you also rely on squad mates taking the weapons you don't (you can take everything but your cooldown as twice as long.)

Story wise Bioware have yet again told a interesting, compelling, and in some respects a very emotional story. My first playthrough I lost friends along the way, and the Voice acting in my opinion was some of the best in the series, those familiar with the series know of the romance options and the romance I had between Shepard and Ashley was truely believable, from the dilogue to the way it was read by the actor, when you loose friends you felt the loss rather than just seeing it, some made me question my decisions. However this brings up one of the flaws that bothered me probably the most in ME3. the dialogue options in alot of situations seemed a little short and didn't cover the questions properly while other times the options simply wouldn't be what I as shepard would have said, there is a particular area of the game, I won't mention that is quite pivotal in the plot and you can mention it to your Love Interest, but they response with one line in a dismissive response, bearing in mind it's relation to the plot it just feels rushed and not fleshed out as needed, infact it would partially explain the end.. Don't let this put you off though the gameplay is good and the commentary is excellent between you and the crew, it just feels some points weren't fully realised by Bioware, or simply pushed through by EA Games.

Choice from previous Games DO MATTER. Regardless of what people have posted, many things you have done in previous games effect the current game, did you keep the Genophage data from Maelon in ME2? that changes things, did you Romance Ashley in ME1 but someone in ME2 as well? it changes things, does it totally rewrite the story? No. but with this game closing the story on Mass Effect and Shepard it's hard to follow all paths as the ending simply wouldn't be the ending they wrote in fact you'd need about 40 endings to cover it. and you can't really conclude Mass Effect with that regardless of how we feel, if you had 40 endings.

The Ending;

I'm not going to ruin it for you, play it youself make your own decision, but it is the opinion on most that when you finally get to the white light into the sky (vague enough) you should shut the game down, and just agree you won and the Reapers lost. The end gameplay is in serious question from long time fans including myself, with a few theories on what actually happened. Bioware have promised free DLC to explain the ending but that should give you a sign of how poorly put together it is. The last 5 minutes ruins probably one of the best gaming series to have been created.

I give a 7/10 as the exploration and dialogue options has diminished the Mass Effect universe in this release, while the Story (up til the white light into the sky) and the emotional bond with your team are truly the best of the series, combat is the best of the three as is the graphics.
  37. Jun 14, 2012
    How bring any positive opinion about Mass Effect III if we confront the two episodes already out ?
    The first episode is a monument, the second is nice continuation in spite of the game is made of a largest public support.
    the 3th is not a full game, there is no consistent ending, RPG components are missing and the game resume itself being an insipid 3rd person shooter. How pretend to
    How pretend to close like that a mythic triology, it's a real fail. Profit is the leitmotiv.
  38. Jun 11, 2012
    This game is a very good game, don't get me wrong. I'm not giving this a 7 out of 10 because of the ending, because I actually liked the ending (but that's because I believe in the Indoctrination theory; if you don't know what the Indoctrination theory is, it's a very plausible theory for the ending of the game), and I enjoyed everything else. The reason why is I'm giving this a 7 isThis game is a very good game, don't get me wrong. I'm not giving this a 7 out of 10 because of the ending, because I actually liked the ending (but that's because I believe in the Indoctrination theory; if you don't know what the Indoctrination theory is, it's a very plausible theory for the ending of the game), and I enjoyed everything else. The reason why is I'm giving this a 7 is because Mass Effect 3 didn't grip me like the others. It didn't suck me into this mass expansive world like Mass Effect 1 did, which I loved. This universe is well put together and I enjoy a good story. Like I've said before, Mass Effect 3 is a extremely well-made game, with enjoyable multiplayer and other elements that make it combine together. It just didn't grip me like the first and second. So I give this a 7 out of 10. Expand
  39. Jul 9, 2012
    I' ve played all 3 mass effect games, I believe the first one had the best scenario, the second was also interesting and improved as far as game play is concerned. The third installment left me with mixed emotions, I enjoyed the gameplay which is much more realistic and fun, you have more freedom on the battlefield and a larger variety of moves and enemies. The quest system where youI' ve played all 3 mass effect games, I believe the first one had the best scenario, the second was also interesting and improved as far as game play is concerned. The third installment left me with mixed emotions, I enjoyed the gameplay which is much more realistic and fun, you have more freedom on the battlefield and a larger variety of moves and enemies. The quest system where you search for Assets on planets is similar to the one M.E. 2 had, I think it is a quite boring, I would prefer to search for Assets with the Mako like in M.E. 1., but I guess that is subjective because others believe you could easily get lost with the Mako in M.E.1 resulting in frustration. Anyway, the weakest element in M.E. 3 is, in my opinion, its scenario and particularly the ending. I do not wish to write in detail about it, somethings are better left for others to judge on their own. However I must point out that it seemed sloppy and hasty, almost like fast food, quickly rushed off the grill and on a plate. I played the normal edition and the extended cut, which was slightly improved but still it just went from hot-dog to burger. I strongly believe EA rushed Bio-ware to launch the game in order to start generating income and unfortunately the end depicted that. I remember some years ago I played and finished Star Wars:Knights of the old Republic, also by Bioware, a great game by my standards mainly for the scenario. But.... KOTOR2 was a different story... published by Lucas Arts and developed by Obsidian because Bioware refused to succumb to the pressure of an early release, anyway that's not the point, the important thing is that when I finished KOTOR2 I realized I didn't understand anything, not just the ending..... So I' ve seen worse cases than M.E. 3, but unfortunately I've also seen better work from Bioware. If only they delayed one more month the game release, M.E. 3 would have had a different, more solid ending I believe, besides, it took them one month to release the extended cut dlc, and it probably cost them more, perhaps not financially, but ethicly and in terms of brand name, I don't think many people will pre order Bioware games from now on.......when glass breaks, it can't be glued, same goes for trust. Expand
  40. Aug 13, 2013
    Time will only tell how great this game actually is. I don't understand the bias of some people here, you can't just low-grade spam reviews for a game just cause you don't like the ending. There is at least 4-5 factors when you judge something, so even if the ending is the worst possible, it can't seriously lower the grade for more than 1-2 points. And ME 3 is great in every possibleTime will only tell how great this game actually is. I don't understand the bias of some people here, you can't just low-grade spam reviews for a game just cause you don't like the ending. There is at least 4-5 factors when you judge something, so even if the ending is the worst possible, it can't seriously lower the grade for more than 1-2 points. And ME 3 is great in every possible aspect, let's get that clear for start. It is improved compared to ME 2 in a lot of ways, gameplay, graphics, you name it. There is lot more diversity between classes, when you play a class it actually feels like your playing that certain class, unlike ME1, where every class was just a different mix of same abilities. As for the ending issue, it has been updated and made downloadable for free. I can understand that you are not very sympathetic towards greediness of EA company, or that the ending made your efforts while progressing trough this really fun game kind of useless, but you wouldn't even get there if it wasn't well worth it. Expand
  41. Oct 30, 2013
    Amazing Game, a great ending to a great trilogy, extremely polished, and full of detail, incredible combat and excellent story telling, its a must have for this generation of gaming.
  42. Jan 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 3 when it wasn't forcing me to watch an unskippable cut-scene that went on for 50,000 years! I wouldn't mind a few unskippable cut-scenes that are short and don't contain dialogue that is so melodramatic and cheesy that I actually had to turn the game off once or twice. I felt the game tried too hard to be like a film and tried really hard to make me care about the characters, something which they had achieved moderately in the previous 2, but fell so far short this time because of atrocious writing. I found it really difficult to become attached to Shephard at all because he had as much personality as a piece of plain paper with the word "nice" on it. Or he was Satan incarnate whom Cerberus for some reason decided to install a naughty or nice detection chip in his face. (A clear theft from Fable. Although it's acceptable in Fable because it's more cartoony and like a fairytale where witches have hooked noses and good guys are disturbingly aryan.) They also copped out of it as well by putting a heal all scars option in med-bay. Why bother having it in if you can just erase it in a heart beat? Either do it or don't. It just seemed a bit flaky for a game based so tightly on the consequences of actions to literally have an opt out button. I did really like the way the previous choices affected the game. I also liked how they tried to tie up the loose ends with the characters from ME2. Although, it seemed to me that by the end of the game someone points out "Jesus we forgot Jack! Quickly someone put her in!" So their solution was to just have her leap at Shephard and die within 10 seconds and a quick remark from Shephard and team mate to let you know that it really was her. The encounter was actually so brief and dissatisfying that I genuinely thought that it wasn't her and I was about to find out that the Illusive Man had caught her and found a way to make clones of her to fight for him. Then I would have to fight through waves of Jack look-a-likes and find her trapped in a machine being cloned and in need of rescue. Then once rescued she joins the cause or has to sacrifice herself to destroy the station like Mordin and Miranda or something. But no she just leaped at you and died. I thought that the fighting gameplay was very good and got my adrenaline going. Although the going into cover and sprinting was often irritating. I would press A to go into cover nothing would happen so I press it again and he pops into cover then out again so he got shot in the face a lot. I did think that the powers were too strong. You can decimate huge hordes of enemies quite easily without going into cover. All you need to do is use adrenaline rush with 1 power enabled and have EDI and Liara with you to use incinerate and singularity. The galaxy map was well done and I liked the idea of the reapers detecting your scanner if you entered reaper occupied space. The first time I heard the loud buzz indicating their presence I was genuinely intimidated and rushed like hell to get out of there. But after finding out that I could outrun them for ages and that the only consequence of being caught was an "oh no you got caught! Now start again from 20 seconds earlier." There was no real threat and I wound up feeling that their presence was more of a minor inconvenience than a real hazard to be avoided. Now to get to my biggest complaint about the game. It all starts with one little boy who from the second I saw him playing outside I started a stop watch in my head for when he was going to die. It was shamelessly and clumsily trying to make me feel for this boy. I felt nothing but contempt for that flimsy attempt to make me feel emotionally invested. Then they expanded this dung heap of an idea into an agonisingly bad dream sequence which you can't skip and, as far as I can tell, has no relevance to anything whatsoever. It doesn't advance the plot. It didn't make me care about the boy. It didn't make me think Shephard was deep or more relatable. It was irritating, it slowed the game down and I couldn't help shouting at the screen "Hurry up you pretentious idiots!" Overall, I think I would give the game a 2/10 for dialogue. 7 or 8/10 for the story (good idea let down by enamel peelingly bad dialogue) 8 or 9/10 for combat. Martin Sheen as ever gave a 10/10 performance and expertly depicted a man trying to make the right decisions but losing sight of what is right because of his penchant for solitude. Usually I wouldn't score a game for its dialogue because people don't really play games for it. However, since I felt ME3 was trying so hard to be a film it seemed right to include the dialogue in an overall score. This score would be much higher if the game wasn't trying to be a game/film with appalling dialogue. Expand
  43. May 15, 2015
    The game play felt more like a action game than a Epic Space Role Playing Game this time around. They dumbed everything down massively, why I have no ideal. I kept playing and playing, to get to the end which, you simply should not even do. Once I did get to the end, even with the extended ending, it makes you feel as though all the hundreds of hours you spent with Mass Effect 1 and 2 wereThe game play felt more like a action game than a Epic Space Role Playing Game this time around. They dumbed everything down massively, why I have no ideal. I kept playing and playing, to get to the end which, you simply should not even do. Once I did get to the end, even with the extended ending, it makes you feel as though all the hundreds of hours you spent with Mass Effect 1 and 2 were a complete waste of time. The ending of the game destroys the entire series, and makes you feel as though the entire series was a waste of time. For some bizarre reason, the makers of the game defend this ending, even though it ruins the entire franchise. Expand
  44. Sep 28, 2013
    Disappointment, is the word I would sum this game up with. Mass Effect 3, being a last game in a ME trilogy abandons most of the things that made Mass Effect 1 or 2 so successful.
    The story of this game, revolving around a mysterious alien device nobody knows anything about is full of plotholes and irrationalities. The gameplay is an improved version of Mass Effect 2, which still abandons most of RPG qualities as it's predecessor did. If that wasn't bad enough, Bioware decided to strip the player out of choices and if there is any they consequences are very similar making the choice itself meaningless. The characters and the world respond to every dialogue option in a very similar way making the whole Paragon/Renegade morality system totally worthless.
    While a player can import a save from the Mass Effect 2, he/she have to be aware that it doesn't make much of a difference, as possibly dead characters from Mass Effect 2 are replaced on the spot with another new/old character without any noteworthy consequence.
    There is no choice which mission you want to do, unlike in Mass Effect 1/2, here you just jump from one main mission to the other, linearly going forward to maybe the most disappointing ending in history of videogames.
    Bad writing, lack of logic, lack of choices and consequences means that this game isn't what it is advertised to be. Add annoying control scheme on PC and you have one of the worst game I have ever played and certainly the most disappointing one.
    Only redeeming quality of this game is it's soundtrack.
    Overall, 2/10 stay away.
  45. May 16, 2013
    No way this should be a 4.7 all the cheep need to get a life and stop being butt hurt over the ending. ME3's ending was absolutely brilliant in terms of semantics and the games overall tone, it is depressing that the majority of asswipes cannot see nor do they care to appreciate that. Bioware fans a truly the scum of the earth.
  46. Jul 25, 2013
    Mass effect 3 is a fitting conclusion to the mass effect saga. It boasts significantly improved gameplay fluidity and mechanics, as well as a more varied campaign. The story is emotional, hard hitting, and diverse. The games visuals have been improved a lot, and the pc version looks quite spectacular despite and aging core engine, and runs smoother than the previous games to boot. In termsMass effect 3 is a fitting conclusion to the mass effect saga. It boasts significantly improved gameplay fluidity and mechanics, as well as a more varied campaign. The story is emotional, hard hitting, and diverse. The games visuals have been improved a lot, and the pc version looks quite spectacular despite and aging core engine, and runs smoother than the previous games to boot. In terms of streamlining which I hate the game is in between mass effect 1 and 2, the major disappointment in the game is the planet exploring, which has been stripped down. Imported save games determine a lot, from entire characters no longer existing in the story to conflicts that play out entirely different.Multiplayer is fun, and is not required to get the best ending in the game. In the end, mass effect 3 is special. As good as mass effect 2 in storytelling, and almost as good as mass effect 1 in rpg-like skill/item medications and exp distribution. My favorite in an acclaimed series. Expand
  47. Jul 25, 2013
    Strange ending and the fact that its basically just Mass Effect 2 v2.0 prevents this game from being bombastic ending of the saga. Final battle is also very dull and the extra linearity of the game can be disturbing. Very good game, but not as good as ME2 or ME1.
  48. Oct 17, 2013
    A good RPG is not without its drawbacks, of course, but it turned out very well. Upset a lot of DLS, which did not at first suspect. If you set the DLS Free Extended cut, then the game (depending on the position of the player) will end well. I was glad to play in the trilogy, and to share money with the developers
  49. Nov 7, 2013
    Without a doubt the best series i've ever come to play! So much replay value! Its insane and I can't describe it enough. THIS IS A MUST BUY AND PLAY EXPERIENCE. Trust me on this!
    I don't understand why people are complaining about the endings. Do not be scared of the low user score. trust me when I tell you. This game is awesome and you wohn't regret playing it
    Pros: Just... wow

Pros:
    Just... wow (useless pros. I know :v)
    Story and characters are so well done!

Cons:
    Combat can get a little linear
    No coop :/
    End of the series
  50. Mar 31, 2014
    Let's call this game what it is, a POS game. From the the word go Shepard's fate is sealed. Bioware spit in my face and kicked me in the groin. All my choices were rendered meaningless. In ME 2 an Arsai told me the rachni " Would burn clean the sky." I thought this meant they would come save me when things seemed hopeless. In other words they were the key to defeating the Reapers. BiowareLet's call this game what it is, a POS game. From the the word go Shepard's fate is sealed. Bioware spit in my face and kicked me in the groin. All my choices were rendered meaningless. In ME 2 an Arsai told me the rachni " Would burn clean the sky." I thought this meant they would come save me when things seemed hopeless. In other words they were the key to defeating the Reapers. Bioware "fixed the problem" when they killed most of them off by the Reapers.

When I first read about Mass Effect Bioware had just finished Knights of the Old Republic. They were making a trilogy where your actions in all three games would affect the ending in third one. Bioware lied to me to the tune of 160 bucks. They only gave one ending with four options. In order to have your actions truly affect the ending, a happy ending has to be possible. The extended cut DLC is nothing more then damage control and selling Mass Effect 4. For me though, Bioware has noway to correct the mess they made. I can only hope they pissed off enough people so there is no Mass Effect 5.
  51. Sep 21, 2015
    Thank you, Bioware, for Mass Effect 2 and Mass Effect 3, for unforgetable story, characters, gameplay and the time spent while playing it.
  52. Oct 16, 2015
    I rate this game at a zero out of ten. I loved ME 1 and 2. I loved the character interactions, the choices, the worlds they made. ME1 had amazing words and vistas to see, and lots of them. ME2 had better game-play and amazing voice acting. Both games filled me with suspense and trepidation concerning the Reapers and the all out battle to come. ME3 did not deliver for this all out, beI rate this game at a zero out of ten. I loved ME 1 and 2. I loved the character interactions, the choices, the worlds they made. ME1 had amazing words and vistas to see, and lots of them. ME2 had better game-play and amazing voice acting. Both games filled me with suspense and trepidation concerning the Reapers and the all out battle to come. ME3 did not deliver for this all out, be all- end all battle with the Sentient machines. The ending(s) were the biggest letdown I have ever experienced. My recommendation: Do not get this game.

For all of the hype, the writing was appalling, thanks to the lead writer Mac Walters. The entire mood of the game, the characters and interactions, even the ending was nothing but pathetic doom and gloom. There is no "win", merely completion of the game (which has absolutely zero replay value). What could have been the best game in history turned out to be a massive let down that leaves you wondering if you messed something up to get such a disgraceful ending.

BioWare has lost the spark. Sadly, the talent that made wonderful and fun games have all left. While the visual artists did a good job (with the exception of 8-bit running models and worse graphics than ME2) the stories that brought us joy and fun and the feeling of fresh and new worlds are simply not there in ME3. The overall arc/plot of this game is horrendous - clearly indicating a lack of skill and / or talent from the writing leads.
  53. Dec 31, 2012
    It wasn't bad, and it wasn't superb either. I cannot comment upon the original ending because I played it with the extended ending. Having said that my complaints with the game have to do more with character interactions, scope, and pacing than anything else. First, unlike Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3 never made me care about the characters all that much. The magnitude of the Reaper WarIt wasn't bad, and it wasn't superb either. I cannot comment upon the original ending because I played it with the extended ending. Having said that my complaints with the game have to do more with character interactions, scope, and pacing than anything else. First, unlike Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3 never made me care about the characters all that much. The magnitude of the Reaper War made characters and their own personal problems quite trivial. This point begs the question of scope. The game attempts to achieve an epic feel while maintaining familiar with the main characters. Unfortunately, it fails in this respect. Despite its giant space battles, the game never created an atmosphere that conveyed the gravity of the situation the characters found themselves. Then again, this could equally be my failing as much as it is the game's. For after two previous installments of Shepherd saving the cosmos, I am kind of used to the stakes being very high. Lastly, the pacing just felt off to me. The final battles did not seem to build all that much dramatic tension. Also, we learned too many important facts too quickly at the end for their significance to be comprehended. Having said that, the game is still good. The plot does make sense. The voice acting is really good. The action is engaging. I had fun. Unfortunately, it was not the masterpiece most of us were hoping it would be. Expand
  54. Dec 29, 2012
    Come one people! i don't normally write reviews, but i felt compelled to, because the game was really enjoyable, no idea why so many are complaining about the ending, it wasn't that bad, i enjoyed the game and found myself captivated throughout my playtime, there's no reason to trash the game if the story line didn't meet your expectations, its a phenomenal experience. i had very littleCome one people! i don't normally write reviews, but i felt compelled to, because the game was really enjoyable, no idea why so many are complaining about the ending, it wasn't that bad, i enjoyed the game and found myself captivated throughout my playtime, there's no reason to trash the game if the story line didn't meet your expectations, its a phenomenal experience. i had very little performance issues, and i highly recommend this if you enjoyed the other two titles, don't let the user reviewed put you off trying this out, for once the game critics got it right. Expand
  55. May 11, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 is a basically decent game which is irretrievably spoiled by oversimplification and lack of dramatic direction.

The game looks marvellous, but, as with many Bioware games, the locations are Potemkin villages: Shepard and her squadmates are restricted in their movements, hemmed in on all sides in small arenas with convenient chest-high walls, with no potential for interaction with the scenery.

Combat largely handles well, but never strays from the mould of "cover-based shooter." The lack of any real challenge from the enemies discourages tactical thinking and the awkward use of the "F" key as a melee button makes the use of melee an unrealistic option on the PC.

What is particularly frustrating about this game is how the stripped-down interface divests the gamer's experience of any verve or life. So many of the side missions are no more sophisticated than a text-based DOS game. When exploring a planet to find resources for the war, a player is simply told that he had recovered something of use, but there is no game-driven, interactive imperative to treat those text notifications with anything other than apathy. The "Citadel" DLC adds some welcome opportunity for character interaction and development, but really ought to have been part of the original game I can only imagine how shallow and unsatisfying ME3 would have been without it.

The ending of Mass Effect 3 has attracted opprobrium quite rightly. Labouring hard over the course of three games to save squadmates, or entire species, has little or no dramatic payoff. The destinies of squad-mates and their unusual pairings are left ignored and untold. The narrative justification of the final denouement is weak and unsatisfactory, and somewhat contradicts established canon. This is particularly disappointing when the stripped-down, simplified gameplay mechanic runs the player on rails towards the choice of four such unsatisfying conclusions.

For all those gripes, there is some fun to be had here, but ME3 deserves to be remembered most for squandered opportunities.
  56. Dec 13, 2012
    Lowest critic score is 75 and it's coming from a bunch of **** in Romania. ARE YOU **** ME? 22 positives? For this piece of **** sequel? My grandma can write a better script than these clowns. And Clint Mansel? Probably there for the name, couldn't hear anything new, same recycled sounds and tracks. Graphics are better in no budget indie games and RPG is down the toilet.

**** YOU

**** YOU BIOWARE **** YOU EA **** YOU ORIGIN

AND MOST IMPORTANT **** YOU STUPID PEOPLE WHO PAY FOR DAY 1 DLC
  57. Jan 28, 2013
    Could be perfect, but is only great.
    Positives:
    Main plot is just epic, great and awesome Gameplay is finally refined, making this a fun shooter Emotionally impacting story AMAZING soundtrack As always great voice-acting (especially Mark Meer, Brendan Keener (sp?), Keith David) Javik! Quite good multiplayer, even if lacking Negatives: Scrapping of old characters (most of the
    Could be perfect, but is only great.
    Positives:
    Main plot is just epic, great and awesome
    Gameplay is finally refined, making this a fun shooter
    Emotionally impacting story
    AMAZING soundtrack
    Javik!

Quite good multiplayer, even if lacking

Negatives:
    Scrapping of old characters (most of the characters from ME2 are only featured in cameos
    Side-quests aren't as good as they were in ME2 (still better than ME1)
    DAT ENDING, really WTF.
    Some plot points were left hanging (dark energy, proto-reaper from collector base, actually whole collector base decision is nonexistant)
    Handling of MAJOR decisions leaves much to be desired (Rachni queen, already mentioned collector base, rewriting/destroying geth etc)
    Aside from the main ENDING cutscenes, the last mission (priority: earth) which was advertised to DEATH is the worst, most boring missions in whole trilogy. I highly recommend the game, even in its flaws it's an amazing conclusion to epic trilogy.

TBH, if the last mission (Priority:Earth) wasn't so lack-luster, noone would mind the retarded endings. Here's hoping for Priority:Earth DLC
  58. Jan 27, 2013
    I am sick and tired of the whiny user reviews about the endings. THEY FIXED IT. and if you are still upset about the endings not being that different from each other, then you have not been paying attention to the other endings to the Mass Effect series. These ending are in the same type as the first 2 games. To give the review a 0 just because of the ending is stupid. Here is why, if theI am sick and tired of the whiny user reviews about the endings. THEY FIXED IT. and if you are still upset about the endings not being that different from each other, then you have not been paying attention to the other endings to the Mass Effect series. These ending are in the same type as the first 2 games. To give the review a 0 just because of the ending is stupid. Here is why, if the game was so bad to earn a 0, then you would never finish it to see the endings! The rating is base on and OVERALL experience. The game was a very fun play. I enjoyed the experience and hope that they keep going in the Mass Effect universe. Expand
  59. Nov 1, 2013
    Great game, ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE ENDING. It is your same old Mass Effect with crap ending. Giving it 5/10 cause its Mass Effect but the ending just killed it.
  60. Dec 23, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 shows us an intense ending of an epic story with good graphics and characters. You have to know part one and two. For all others: It`s a mix of a science fiction action role playing game.
  61. Jun 19, 2013
    I cannot, in good conscience, give this game any lower than a 6 because up until the ending the game was superb and truly enjoyable for me. It's epic to gather the fleets of the universe together and to warp into battle like they do in the ending portion of the game. It builds upon the (in my opinion) great and enjoyable gameplay of ME2, and as usual the graphics are beautiful. SplendidI cannot, in good conscience, give this game any lower than a 6 because up until the ending the game was superb and truly enjoyable for me. It's epic to gather the fleets of the universe together and to warp into battle like they do in the ending portion of the game. It builds upon the (in my opinion) great and enjoyable gameplay of ME2, and as usual the graphics are beautiful. Splendid voice acting bring each character to life and the relationships and character development are all there.

One of the best things about the ME series and Bioware is their whole, "what you did in the previous game impacts this game" and while there's still a cop out in some aspects that some of the things you did only are acknowledged or shown in a minor way, I think that's still impressive enough that it makes you feel you have truly impacted this universe beyond simply completing the missions. You've made choices, and those choices have had consequences.

One thing I wish they had added was the ability to control real control of the Normandy and have some space maneuvering (as in simulation, not the Galaxy Map) and more importantly, space battles!

Amazing game, but horrendous ending that was only partial fixed by the DLC. Would've given this game a 9 were it not for the ending. After dozens of hours of gameplay through various replays of each game to test different combinations of choices... how could you end the game like that? It was just... devastatingly disappointing.
  62. Jul 3, 2013
    Best Game series out there, great story and better and better gameplay for each game that tops in Mass Effect 3

Abilities on different carracters that can be used in combination with each others, gameplay that makes you want to play just to play. A awesome story with characters you build a great personal relationship to, great laughs and great sorrows, that makes you go 35-45hours straight skipping work/school and forgetting to eat and sleep.

Sadly people cant seem to review the game as a whole and focus on the ending that could be better, but even with the endings there is very little to put a finger on as a whole.
    Still it not even that bad a ending, just not how people want it to end making them butthurt, that they dont get a sugar sweet ending.

I read trough afew critics in the "red" and alot of the stuff i just cant reconize from my playtroughs.
    Some state the exact opposite(Lies? but why?) of how the game works, some state the character acting and story is bad, even though i think both tops even the top end movies we have on the market today.

This game made me play the ME1 and ME2 several times over to get the different coices and i have 5-7 playtroughs of the ME3 game itself, and besides that the surprisingly good Multiplayer i used a good 1000hours om itself.

This game has been worth every penny!
  63. Dec 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 is an incredibly controversial game, it has seen a lot of hate for all the flaws it has, these include a lack of dialogue options compared to the original two, more action oriented gameplay and a unsatisfying ending, for the most part these criticisms are valid, but even though there are many problems with the game I have no trouble in saying that Mass Effect 3 is a masterpiece.

The Characters: Mass Effect 3 for all the things it did wrong, it did many things oozing with greatness, first of the greatest thing about the game is the characters, Garrus, Liara, Mordin, Legion, Thane, Anderson and my personal favourite character in the third installment ; EDI. They all have masterful moments, these moments range from being incredibly sad and emotional to moments which put a massive smile on your face.

The Story: Mass Effect 3 has a damn good story (for the most part), and even though the story is a far worse RPG than 2, and especially Mass Effect 1, this doesn't mean that the story is any worse, people complain about the game compared to the previous two, but fail to realize that Mass Effect 3 is its own game, and is just as good, but in many different areas. The story is about taking down the reapers and gathering alliances to stop them, this will take you on an incredible journey full of beautifully executed moments, some of these moments I'd dare say are some of the greatest moments in media history.

Gameplay and Presentation: Mass Effect 3 has once again greatly improved the gameplay for the series, the shooting mechanics have been tweaked and are better than ever, which still not masterful by any means, with a few bugs here and there, they controls are still pretty damn good. The Presentation hasn't improved so much from Mass Effect 2, but then again Mass Effect 2's feel and artistic style was near perfect, so there's no complaints here. Unlike Mass Effect 1, where you would land on a planet, which where always the same planet, just re textured , with the same facilities and artistic design, Mass Effect 3's location all feel diverse and wonderfully crafted.

The Ending: The original ending was a highly disappointing conclusion, the extended cut made things a lot better, and despite the plot holes gave me a sense of closure

Conclusion: Mass Effect 3 is a wonderful game, with great characters, great stories and great artistic design, and despite its flaws, and Casey Hudson's artistic integrity, Mass Effect 3 is a tremendous game and deserves to be played.
  64. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is not good as an RPG, it's not good as a cover-based shooter, and it's certainly not good as a hybrid of any sort. This game is atrocious, it truly is. And this comes from someone who liked ME2, despite its flaws. But anyways, what's wrong with the game? Well, I think the ridicilous ending has been covered well enough by a lot of other reviewers, so I won't go into detail on howThis game is not good as an RPG, it's not good as a cover-based shooter, and it's certainly not good as a hybrid of any sort. This game is atrocious, it truly is. And this comes from someone who liked ME2, despite its flaws. But anyways, what's wrong with the game? Well, I think the ridicilous ending has been covered well enough by a lot of other reviewers, so I won't go into detail on how stupid it was. Let's talk about the dumbed down dialogue instead. BioWare and EA apparently thought three choices as a standard was a bit overwhelming when playing ME1&2, so they had to remove the middleground. What is left is the **** and "Good Guy" options, and the occasional Renegade and Paragon option. The Renegade & Paragon system is also pretty stupid. 'If you aren't nice to people, you can't make rational choices'... The **** kind of sense does that make?
    And with the removal of dialogue options, comes the removal of dialogue too. Which I can see makes all kinds of sense. Why would you shift the focus from shooting endless hordes of Cerberus troops, over on the thoughts and psyche of the interesting and beloved crew. We all know thats why we loved the original games, right? It was the neverending cover-based shooting that attracted us all... ... right?
    With all irony aside, I find it pretty annoying that the crew is even less talkable in the third installment, than in the second. In like 19 hours, I had the total of THREE, unique dialogues with Liara (whom I had romanced in the previous games), whereas only TWO of them were private and on the Normandy. That kinda sucks, especially since she's one of my favourite characters in the entire series.
    Also: what's up with the character design? How come everyone dresses in the sexiest "armor" in the entire universe? Don't get me wrong, I am in fact a fan of the female body. But, why did Ashley throw away her giant power armor from ME1, in favor of the sleek, sexy outfit in the third? It looks stupid, and it doesn't make sense. But if she hadn't changed the armor, it would be significantly less time to show of her enlarged bazoongas. I'm not **** you when I say that the size of her **** have been increased from the first game. The entire game is so sexualized it just becomes silly. And to top it all off, they had to make EDI sexy too. I'm actually surprised she isn't a romance option. It would go along with the rest of this **** of a game perfectly. And while we're at EDI: what's her deal? Why does she act so out of character? She's not an AI, but she acts like one. When I think about, practically everyone acts out of character. The only one who doesn't do so, is Harbinger. He does the best job of sticking to his... 'personality' and agenda in the entirety of the game. Even Shepard acts out of character. What's the deal with the homosex-romance? I don't dislike homosexuals in any way, but the sudden change of sexuality is just weird.
    So, is there ANYTHING good about the game, you may ask. Well, kind of. The skill system is decent, better than ME2's (worse than ME1's). The weapons and attachments are pretty good, I prefer it over both the first and second installments' take on it. The armor and armor customization is vastly superior to both 1&2, so there are some good things about the game. One could say it looks pretty too - and I somewhat agree, but you feel like you don't always belong there. The game shows off what it can do and how beautiful it is, and sometimes, one ends up just as a watcher.
    My final complaint is in regards to Cerberus. Why did the story shift the focus away from the Reapers, and onto Cerberus? I don't feel like I'm saving the galaxy most of the time when I'm playing. Battling wave after wave of Cerberus-troops isn't fun, it doesn't make you feel like you're saving the galaxy, and it only makes you wonder why you are bothering with it. Feels kinda like busywork.

All in all, this is one of the most disappointing games I have ever encountered. Mass Effect was one of my favorite games, and together with sequel one of my favourite game series. But now I can't even thoroughly enjoy the first installments, because I know it will all be in "vain", as this game is so butt****ingly stupid. This game is abominable. Steer clear away from this thing. The only reason this game isn't getting 1/10, is because it has Liara, Tali and Garrus in it (even though none of them want to speak with me).
  65. Jan 7, 2013
    My favorite color is red. I like orange too. Choices, choices, choices. Why does life have to be so complicated? Why, Lord? Why? Hristos se rodi, D
  66. Mar 29, 2013
    Here's a different kind of review: I actually liked the ending!

Here's a different kind of review: I actually liked the ending!

Ok, so I started my Mass Effect journey with a bargain purchase of the first game in 2010, followed by a bargain purchase of the second part of series in late 2011 and now the final part in 2013. I still clearly remember the whole story and the feelings I had while playing it, so I can speak both for ME3 and the trilogy as a whole.

Technically speaking, ME3 had superb audio and nice graphics. Very satisfying and enjoyable audiovisually. Game never crashed, I did not encounter any bugs either. Game felt very solid all around. The Origin requirement is a downer, but a small one. The atmosphere of the game (ie. the despair of the war) was a bit forced at times, but in the end held quite nicely. In ME1 I liked the feeling of vastness, how the plot spanned a lot of places on a huge scale. ME2 had perhaps did not have as epic a feel to it, for most of the game you spent hiring squad members from not-so-epic places and fights. I think ME3 went back to the roots in the epicness of scale.

In ME1 I liked the fighting system and finding and upgrading new weapons. ME2 kind of streamlined the combat, but also removed all those micro-management details such as weapon mods. ME3 took somewhat a middle road in that regard: weapon mods return, but the weapon arsenal is quite limited. The biggest problem in fighting I had was Shepard getting stuck in cover when trying to run, resulting in a couple of unnecessary deaths in some of the harder fights. Other than that, gameplay felt pretty smooth.

On terms of dialogue I think ME2 was the high point of the series. I really liked especially the female Shepards delivery of her lines. ME3 is not that good, but certainly not bad, either.

The galaxy map mini-game this time was avoiding reapers, who were alerted by scanning the space for artifacts etc. I think ME1 had the best mini-game in that you actually landed on the planet and searched for stuff, even though it did get quite repetitive after while. In ME2 the mineral scanning was just dumb, as it did really not offer any challenge and there really was no big difference in the tactic you did it. The reaper mini-game in ME3 is again quite unnecessary, but at least you can apply some tactics to it, and it isn't really that much of an annoyance.

And then there is the ending. I did play the extended cut, but also watched all the original ending videos from YouTube. I didn't really see the necessity of the extended endings, although they were perhaps a bit more satisfying. And the fourth ending type was indeed a smart move, which should have been in the original release also. On a side note, I also have played Eye of the Beholder, which threw you right back into DOS prompt after finishing the game, so I'm used to not having any fancy ending scenes. Anyway, most comments I've read about the ending being bad had two things in them: previous choices in the games had little to no effect, and not everything was explained. I think both are wrong accusitions.

Choices in the previous games mainly affected your companions: who you were working with. At no point do I recall making any huge decisions directly regardin the forthcoming reaper invasion. Killed or saved the rachni queen in Noveria? Who cares, no one probably even knew she was there in the first place. Killed Wrex or was his best friends? Doesn't matter, there are plenty of krogans to be their leader, and plento of people on Normandy to be your wingmen. My point is, all the choices you made only affected the people around Shepard not things on a galactic scale. Therefore, I don't see how can someone expect so see any huge change in the outcome no matter what they did in the previous games. On the other hand, I still think they did a hell of a job with all the different combinations of who are alive and who you are with: dialogue changes according to the setting, and there are a huge number of different settings, which your previous choices _do_ affect.

And the other thing, about leaving stuff open. I think the ending tied all the knots there were to be tied regarding galactic scale. Again, what happens to your mates is a different story, and left open. But that was not the point of the big picture. The point was the reaper invasion, and that was concluded in satisfying enough a way.

The multiplayer requirement for the "better" endings was a stupid move, but I hear it was removed in the extended cut patch. I wouldn't know, as I ended up hacking my save game just to be sure I get the best ending: there were no multiplayer games anymore to boost your rating.

All in all, a highly recommended game, and nowadays very good entertainment value for the cost: I only paid 9,95 in Origin store. I would give the game 8.5/10, which rounds to 8 just because of the multiplayer thing possibly affecting your single player campaign ending.
  67. Apr 28, 2013
    I know many people are very angry at this game, and I understand that. Mass Effect 3 is just as much a step backward as a step forward from the previous iterations of the series. ME3 is much more action-oriented than the previous two games, something which I don't mind, There are more weapons in each category, and each class can now use every weapon. For me this opened up new gameplayI know many people are very angry at this game, and I understand that. Mass Effect 3 is just as much a step backward as a step forward from the previous iterations of the series. ME3 is much more action-oriented than the previous two games, something which I don't mind, There are more weapons in each category, and each class can now use every weapon. For me this opened up new gameplay possibilities. I could be a sentinel with a sniper rifle, a shotgun-wielding adept or engineer. While I like some of the new combat changes, the loss of RPG elements annoys me. Shepard can still pick his/her squad, but now there are only 6 squad members to chose from, 7 if you bought the DAY-ONE dlc, as opposed to the 11-12 there were in ME2. Loyalty mission are also gone, which takes away a personal element. Long-time fans of the series may be a bit disappointed by all this, but ME3 makes up for it in other ways. The Graphics are actually impressive, with nice lighting effects and great CGI space battles. These battles will be in great abundance, as now Shepard is facing the full force of the reaper onslaught against the galaxy. Shepard will have to unite the races of the galaxy, no easy task, to successfully fight off the reaper invasion and recapture earth. Choosing which races to side with, and some actions that Shepard chooses have an effect on and overall "readiness" bar which indicates military strength, and chances of victory in the final battle. Unfortunately, none of the other decisions Shepard has made throughout the other games will have ANY impact on the final ending. The end of the game feels rushed and lazy. For this i find that EA is probably to blame, rushing the game out ahead of schedule. An ending DLC does fix many of these issues, but leaves many unanswered. The fact that there even is an ending DLC to me shows that bioware cares for the universe it created, even if the messed up the first time around. Another good thing is that the awful mining mini games are gone...to be replaced with a less annoying, simpler, "find stuff on planet to help you in the war effort". One final thing that annoyed me about the gameplay was that instead of multiple factions and enemies, there are only three: Cerberus, reapers, and geth. This feels like another move away from more rpg elements to action elements. The AI is adequate; on higher difficulties some of the bigger enemies can be troublesome. Despite the changes, ME3 still feels like Mass Effect, a third person cover shooter.rpg hybrid. Using Shepard's powers and squad mate's powers to effectively combat enemy strengths and weaknesses is something true fans of the series will find fun and familiar. The soundtrack is great, the characters still great, and the story only slightly less than what most expect from Mass Effect.
    Which brings me to the multiplayer. Many people were worried it would take over from the single player, but it doesn't, in fact, it provides a welcome distraction from the reaper attack. Multiplayer is a horde-based mode in which up to four players can fight against waves of enemies of different types as many different races and classes. Ever wanted to play as a quarian engineer? A drell assassin, turian soldier, or even Krogan and Geth? There are also scores of weapons, upgrades, and attachments available. So far all the MP DLCs have been free, but MP still feels like EA trying to make quick cash sometimes. Multiplayer can still be fun, though. All considered, Mass Effect 3 feels a slightly rushed ending to a series dear to many people's hearts. It is still a good, dun game, but lets down in many things fans have come to expect form Bioware and the series as a whole.
  68. Jul 22, 2013
    I played this game a long time ago but just decided to come back and reflect. I thought the gameplay was good. But the best thing about this game was the atmosphere. It felt crushing at all times. I felt that there was no time and all would be lost, so I had to try something. I could really get into the mood of this game and I thought the ending reflected ME3's atmosphere as a wholeI played this game a long time ago but just decided to come back and reflect. I thought the gameplay was good. But the best thing about this game was the atmosphere. It felt crushing at all times. I felt that there was no time and all would be lost, so I had to try something. I could really get into the mood of this game and I thought the ending reflected ME3's atmosphere as a whole perfectly. I think this game has had one of the best storylines in a game yet. The most important thing to me was the music combined with the few glimpses of light and hope spending time with those close to the protagonist. This game shows to me how creating a coherent structure for atmosphere can make for a unique, amazing and touching experience. I understand that this came at a cost of some features, but I still loved it. I also felt the game series had matured to beyond the black and white. I understand that the younger audience might find this annoying. I loved it. Finding an answer to all the questions after all that, would've been the definition of anticlimax. I find myself listening to "Leaving Earth" from time to time and it can take me through my journey at any time. Expand
  69. Jul 5, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 (2012)

Mass Effect 3 ist ein Science Fiction/Action Rollenspiel. Es ist die Fortsetzung und der Abschluss der Mass Effect Trilogie. Wie bereits sein Vorgänger, basiert das Spiel auf der Unreal-Engine 3 und wurde ebenfalls von BioWare (Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age) entwickelt. Der Publisher ist Electroic Arts. Das Spiel wird wieder aus der dritten Person gesteuert, sodass
    Mass Effect 3 (2012)

Das Spiel wird wieder aus der dritten Person gesteuert, sodass man einen guten Überblick über das Schlachtfeld hat und die Gestaltung der Spielfigur direkt erkennen kann. Die Spieldauer beträgt ca. 40 Stunden.

Nachdem im ersten Teil ein abtrünniger Spectre (sowas wie Geheimpolizei mit unbeschränkten Befugnissen) namens Saren aufgehalten wurde, eine Reaper-Invasion zu initiieren (Reaper Maschinenvolk mit der Absicht alles Leben auszulöschen) und im zweiten Teil die Bedrohung der Kollektoren (von Reapern indoktrinierte Spezies) neutralisiert wurde, konnte es das Maschinenvolk nun doch schaffen in die Sonnensysteme der Völker der galaktischen Allianz einzudringen.

Als Commander Shepard sieht man nun erneut der Gefahr ins Auge, einer gewaltigen Übermacht gegenüber zu stehen, die alles einsetzten, um das Leben in der Galaxie auszulöschen.
    Zusammen mit altbekannten Charakteren aus Mass Effect 1, sind die Völker der Allianz zu vereinen um den Reapern eine finale Endschlacht zu bieten. Dabei trifft man des Öfteren auch auf alte Bekannte aus dem zweiten Teil der Trilogie, die einem Aufträge anbieten und Unterstützung im Kampf gegen die Reaper zusichern.

Durch die Möglichkeit Spielstände aus den vorher gespielten Teilen der Trilogie zu importieren, kann der Verlauf der Story sich ändern, da z.B. einige alte Crew-Mitglieder nicht überlebt haben oder Entscheidungen anders getroffen wurden als die Standardeinstellungen eines neuen Spielstandes es darstellen würden.

Das Spielgeschehen kann maßgeblich beeinflusst werden durch eine Vielzahl verschiedener Entscheidungsmöglichkeiten, die den Spieler stellenweise mit z.B. ethnischen und moralischen Fragen konfrontiert. Durch ein "Gesinnungssystem" kann man so zu einem rücksichtslosen Tyrannen oder aber zu einem hilfsbereiten Helden werden.
    Zusätzlich bietet das Spiel die Möglichkeit sowohl als männlicher als auch weiblicher Charakter das Geschehen zu erleben. Dies verändert ebenfalls das Verhalten der Crew-Mitglieder.
    Der Wiederspielwert des Spiels ist also enorm.

Durch weitere DLC's (Downloadable Content) erweitert sich die Story. Jedoch sind einige dieser Erweiterungen mit Kosten verbunden, bieten aber dementsprechend auch mehr Inhalt.

Alles in allem übertrifft dieses Spiel trotz Neuerungen im Kampfsystem nicht die Vorgänger, zieht jedoch auf Augenhöhe. Für Mass Effect Veteranen ein Muss. Science Fiction Liebhaber und Rollenspiel Fans werden auch voll auf ihre Kosten kommen.
  70. Jul 11, 2013
    This game, well, is the conclusion of an incredible journey. All the Bioware team made a great work, overall.

The game features great graphics and a captivating storytelling (even if the best one is in the second chapter IMHO). It is so fast paced that it can be exhausting at high difficulties. The finals, this time, are FINALS and even if they may leave you with disappointment (or tears, like my case) are original and EPIC.

Multiplayer is OK, but I would definitely exchange it for more "single player".

So, why nine? Actually, I would have liked to give a 8.5, but 9 is for the excellent references and the emotions I felt while playing. Anyway the game is a bit buggy now and then and some things seem to have been completed in a hurry. Anyway this won't ruin the experience at all.

Want the best experience? Buy all the trilogy and "grow up" your Shepard. For me has been the best non-real experience of my life till now.

Keelah se'lai!
  71. Sep 18, 2013
    I'm not go to sit here and tell you Mass Effect 3 is perfect. I won't sit back in my chair and explain how it "Doesn't follow a storyline." Spoiler yes it does, as with Mass Effect 2, discussion you made all the way back in Mass Effect come into play. This is whole heartedly Mass Effect. Now dos the Arrival DLC give some crap intro to the next game? Yes. Does it matter that they wanted toI'm not go to sit here and tell you Mass Effect 3 is perfect. I won't sit back in my chair and explain how it "Doesn't follow a storyline." Spoiler yes it does, as with Mass Effect 2, discussion you made all the way back in Mass Effect come into play. This is whole heartedly Mass Effect. Now dos the Arrival DLC give some crap intro to the next game? Yes. Does it matter that they wanted to explain it at all and release several online and magazine based articles detailing the events for those who didn't want to play? Also yes. They wanted to take the intense Third Person shooting that we saw in Mass Effect 2 and the more heavily driven RPG that we saw in Mass Effect, they then added meaningful weapon customization, upgraded cover, armor, and shield elements, and spiked the difficult. After playing ME3 on hardcore ME2 insanity was a picnic.

But then we come to the elephant in the room. What about the endings? Are all those who felt betrayed be an ending 5 years old. I didn't have one problem with how they did the ending. They we trying to be artful and mysterious much like Kubrick in the movies. In fact movies have several examples of why you don't need to see every little detail. Do I like the new endings, yes. Well now for the outrange that was a relatively good (maybe great) horde mode multiplayer. I got 4500 force because I made go choices in the other 2 games. I still went through the multiplayer because it was fun, do you need to micro purchase. Well do you need to make them in any other multiplayer. It's not just EA every major multiplayer has come out with something like this so you can not and may not fault them.

And now I come to the part where I get to be an mean. I don't know when you preordered your copies... but my collector editions were reserved for 9 months. I was one of the first if not the first to Pre-order the collector's edition from GameStop. It was $100 to get it day one and I was happy to pay every bit of it. It made my year along with Skyrim it was my top play game.
  72. Dec 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved this game, however, the ending was EXTREMELY disappointing. I spent like three weeks trying to make all the right choices in every game so I would get a positive ending, only to have it mean almost nothing at the end. Sure, your paragon versus renegade and effective military strength makes a tiny difference, but in the end you're screwed no matter what. And also, when Garrus (if you romanced him) says something about having kids together and then you end up dying…. ah man. That was awfully harsh. Expand
  73. Mar 9, 2014
    Well what to say?
    Besides the bad ending and only 3 different choices who are quite the same Bioware created in my opinion the best part of the series.
    Its clear that they have failed how the three parts come together in the end but nearly everything from 1&2 was improved. The combat and skill system kicked ass. 10/10 (but only cause i leave out the ending, this is only for the
    Well what to say?
    The combat and skill system kicked ass.

10/10 (but only cause i leave out the ending, this is only for the gameplay and athmosphere)
  74. May 16, 2014
    Forget all the crap you hear about the ending; if you want to see all your favorite characters walking off into the sunset, hand-in-hand, this is not the game for you. On the other hand, if you want to play a game that engages you from start to finish, has you make some truly difficult moral decisions, and makes you care about who lives and who dies, then Mass Effect 3 it is. Honestly, IForget all the crap you hear about the ending; if you want to see all your favorite characters walking off into the sunset, hand-in-hand, this is not the game for you. On the other hand, if you want to play a game that engages you from start to finish, has you make some truly difficult moral decisions, and makes you care about who lives and who dies, then Mass Effect 3 it is. Honestly, I don't get the hate. The ending is perfectly fitting. The game mechanics are fantastic, very polished, and rarely monotonous. Enjoy it for what it is, a perfectly good way to end the series. Mass Effect 2 will always be the better game, but for me this is not the great big turd some people want it to be. Considering the amount of sub-standard fare that gets spewed out by big game companies these days, the kind of re-heated **** we see regurgitated by Activision every few months, we should be glad this is actually a decent game. Expand
  75. Jun 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. How come this game scored so highly from the critics? It's like DA2. Are the critics actually real people or are the just programs that a large developer can hack into and create their own review? Maybe they were bought off, maybe they didn't even play the game and stayed at home that day.

I enjoyed the game play and the flash look but it is a game limited by a LOT of stuff. Firstly the epic story that had been developed in ME and ME2 took a nose dive... New writer? My first confusion and concern was the real opening mission... So Earth has finally been invaded by the Reapers and the first stop on the galactic getaway plan is... Mars (I think it's Mars), where you have to fight the reapers who have naturally attacked there too seeing as the Solar System is so small and they need to wipe out all humans... No wait, that's not it... Where you fight Cerberus Who in their attempt to save humanity are ignoring (for most of the game) the upcoming human extinction. So... Put another way, humans are being wiped out in their millions and what do the most powerful humans do in response, that's right, fight each other. Good plan man. There's nothing like the threat of galactic extinction to bring a race together, it's so touching. The interaction with the NPCs seems quite limited to previous games. Every one seems much more 'teenage angst' too which is a bit annoying if you're not 15. It's like everybody suddenly turned emo. Of course the biggest example of the games poor writing and failure to follow the previous games is the fragile time frame and odd 'MUST SAVE THE HUMANS' thing going on... Exactly how long can earth last anyway and why are all the other races planning to go there abandoning their own species and home worlds? Sorry but no matter what excuse you give that will NEVER make sense. Then... (after many more stupid ideas and plot 'twists') the ending/endings/ending (one, three... Who knows). Um... After seeing it once, I will never play the game again and will not engage with the ME universe again. I my opinion it is the worst possible conclusion. Not only do the game mechanics totally break i.e. your decisions change the fate of humanity etc comes down to 'how do you want to die? like this or this or this?' It also doesn't make sense. Are we supposed to all be on drugs or something and go like 'oh double rainbow... starting to look like a triple rainbow'? It doesn't make sense, is trippy and kind of heartbreaking. The time, engagement, people, conversations, romance (way overplayed romance by the way), heart that many players put into the game is crushed by the ending. The ending ruined the whole journey. It would be like Frodo, fighting tyranny and disaster all the way to Mount Doom only to pat his pockets and have forgotten the damn ring. All the choices made- pointless, all the conversations, pointless, all the hope, drive, passion desire... pointless. YOU LOSE is the feeling you're left with and that is just a plain daft decision. It may have tried to be clever but it is quite the opposite. We didn't need clever either, we needed conclusion satisfaction. What we have is a maybe... kind of conclusion and no satisfaction. Does EA have some sort of existential problem it is trying to resolve all of a sudden? Has money made this the case? Can I help by relieving some of the raked money weight?

Then... The mixed game play. Some great stuff, some linear stuff and some frustrating stuff. Enough from me, if you enjoyed it, good on you. All in all, I found it to be as tangled and frustrating as a ball of wool rolled into a room full of kittens.
  76. Nov 4, 2014
    Every cutscene in this game is amazing, and even though I didn't feel the story as well as I did in Mass Effect 2, there are still moments that really pack a punch. It isn't as good as it's predecessor, but isn't as disappointing as Arkham Origins was.
    Sometimes I wish this game were just a movie. I've always been far far more invested in each dialogue scene as I was in the action, and it seemed to just slow down for me every time I had to take on another hoard of cannibals. Despite the ending this is one hell of a game. The combat improves upon itself for those who need it, and the quality for the story (despite the ending) hasn't dropped.
  77. Jan 30, 2015
    This should have been(and nearly is) the greatest story/character driven RPG of all time, but Bioware made a MAJOR mistake with the final title. This game is absolutely incredible until you hit the last 10 minutes. Honestly maybe even the last 5 minutes, because the story was ramped up and paced so perfectly that the lead up RIGHT UNTIL the ending is once in a generation exceptional. ThenThis should have been(and nearly is) the greatest story/character driven RPG of all time, but Bioware made a MAJOR mistake with the final title. This game is absolutely incredible until you hit the last 10 minutes. Honestly maybe even the last 5 minutes, because the story was ramped up and paced so perfectly that the lead up RIGHT UNTIL the ending is once in a generation exceptional. Then you get to the ending and I don't know if they ran out of money or what, but it completely falls flat and ignores all of the style of the series. It changes from a game about choices building up and coming together to create an epic finale (across 6ish years for people that played the games when they came out) into a 3 pronged choice that ignores every choice made in any of the 3 games and, in a game HEAVILY influenced by film(to the point of having a grain filter naturally active to appear more like a movie) has a final few moments that feel more at home in an ending to a fighting game characters story or even something like a shmup. I'm torn on what to give this game. Its clearly a 10/10 until the ending, but this game is ABOUT the story, A weak ending in TES or Fallout isn't that big a deal because they are different style games. This game is about story and characters and the main concept of the game is basically thrown out the window in the final moment. All I can end up deciding is that the ending SEVERELY impacted my feelings about the entire franchise, and the score needs to reflect that. Expand
  78. Jun 29, 2012
    I am re-reviewing this game due to the Extended Cut release. I had originally given this a 4 due to the horrible ending with the Extended Cut I feel Bioware did well in trying to wrap up a difficult story. Bioware can't make everyone happy but I am satisfied with the Extended Cut and look forward to replaying this game over and over now.
  79. Mar 6, 2012
    I don't think too much has improved from previous games compared too how much has gotten worse. My save transfer didn't work and a prothean DLC was available as soon as I started, which to be honest annoyed the hell out of me. I'm around 6 hours in and have found it a bit of a grind in a lot of places, the combat seems unrefined and the story in places is complete drab. This is my honestI don't think too much has improved from previous games compared too how much has gotten worse. My save transfer didn't work and a prothean DLC was available as soon as I started, which to be honest annoyed the hell out of me. I'm around 6 hours in and have found it a bit of a grind in a lot of places, the combat seems unrefined and the story in places is complete drab. This is my honest opinion on the matter. Expand
  80. Mar 28, 2012
    Amazing game. Voice acting superb. Fairly realistic depiction of what the future may hold. The game play is heaps of fun. Choice between different game modes offers a tailored experience for every taste and the diversity of character customization offered by Bioware is commendable. You will want to replay this game after completion.
  81. Mar 11, 2012
    Overally an excellent game. The RPG mechanics and combat feel like a synthesis of the best parts of ME1 and 2. The dialog for the most part is well written. Though, there are some cringe worthy dialog sequences. There are numerous animation glitches that can be distracting. Most of the main plot scenes are amazingly well animated. This game has some of the most brilliant fight scenes inOverally an excellent game. The RPG mechanics and combat feel like a synthesis of the best parts of ME1 and 2. The dialog for the most part is well written. Though, there are some cringe worthy dialog sequences. There are numerous animation glitches that can be distracting. Most of the main plot scenes are amazingly well animated. This game has some of the most brilliant fight scenes in the entire series. Truly fantastic. Getting ready for my second playthrough Expand
  82. Mar 21, 2012
    I've been playing Mass Effect since the first game came out. Before even playing Mass Effect 3, I went through the trouble of replaying the first and second game just so that I could remind myself of the story in full, as well as ensure that all the choices I wanted to have imported were made properly by the character I was bringing into the game.

So, did I enjoy Mass Effect 3? Yes. The

So, did I enjoy Mass Effect 3? Yes. The game had decent writing (with an exception that I will elaborate on later in the review) and the tone of urgency was present throughout the entire game. The voice acting was superb, as usual, and there were even some moments that had me laughing hysterically, and other parts that caused me to really feel a sadness as events occurred involving characters I had grown quite fond of.

Multiplayer was added into the game this time around, and I'm not sure I really agree with that decision. Mass Effect was always a single-player experience, and the multiplayer seems almost as if it was simply a way for EA to make more money, as you would have to purchase new equipment packs from them with a "Customizable Card Game" expansion feel to it-- a bunch of "common" items in the pack, with a chance for some rare ones. Playing with other players is a bit fun, however, but with the matching system giving me matches where I'm fighting along side level 18 characters, and dying horribly, it can get old rather fast. In addition, making this a "requirement" to increase your galactic readiness rating is also very annoying, as you have to invest a massive amount of effort to increase and maintain the rating. Alternatively, you can get the games they released for the iOS platform to assist in this, but without having the android versions available on the day of release, it gives an advantage to those who can afford Apple's products to play the games with their equipment.

Finally, we come to the ending. This is the exact reason why the game did not get a higher rating from me, other than my issues with the multiplayer and "galaxy at war" systems:

The ending was an insult. As long as you bothered to invest the time into getting the numbers for the war as high as you can, you will have three options, of which I will not go into the details in order to keep spoilers out of the review, instead referring to them by colors, since those who have played the game will know what I refer to without revealing anything.

The blue ending, to me, stood against what my character fought for in the three games, so I didn't feel that would work properly. The red ending would have destroyed some of the things that I had worked very long and hard to achieve, starting all the way back in the second game, and also violating the principles that my character had fought long and hard to achieve. This left the green ending for me, which was, essentially, the least of three evils for me.

After my choice, I had looked up the other two endings, to see what they were like... and I was appalled. Essentially the same footage was used for each one, with just the colors I mentioned being more prominent in each, and which characters you see changing a bit. To me, this was the height of laziness and an insult to myself. When I looked up the other options, I expected to see vastly divergent videos, instead of "choose which color you like best." In addition NONE of the three endings really showed an epilogue of what happened. Ok, you saved the galaxy! Now what? We won't tell you!

So, was the game worth playing? I'd say yes. The gameplay itself was enjoyable, and with a few exceptions, it was a satisfying experience overall. They did wrap up the storyline of several characters, and answered a few questions that had been lingering, and at one point even gave a very satisfying historical lesson on the Morning War (the first war between the robotic Geth race and their creators, the Quarians), and the results of some of your earliest choices in the first game do come back to have some nice effects. In addition, they also took a subtle approach to addressing some complaints caused by bugs in Mass Effect 2 (your super-fan referencing an import bug preventing him from responding properly to what you did in the first game, for instance).

Bioware has released a statement saying they would take the fan backlash on the endings seriously, and attempt to address them. If they do this, and create a new ending that allows players that were fans of the game since the beginning to feel as if their choices really mattered in the end, then I believe that Mass Effect 3 has the potential to be the best in the series. If these concerns are not addressed, however, Bioware's historically positive list of games will forever have a dissatisfying footnote next to what should have been the pinnacle of one of their most ambitious properties.
  83. Mar 10, 2012
    Currently I'm about halfway through the game, and while the story is good (better than ME1/ME2), the gameplay is merely adequate.

It feels very dumbed down given that there is even less customization than in prior games in the series. There is no real inventory to speak of, and when you find an upgrade for a weapon (as an example), you can immediately equip that upgrade to as many squad member's weapons as you desire. Powers are per-character, with little sharing possible via a new system. I'm not at all impressed with upgrades on skills/powers, as each feels like an almost miniscule change to effectiveness in combat.

The primary reason I'm rating ME3 as a 5, is due to the unbelievable distaste it has left in my mouth having gay talk, scenes, and innuendo shoved down my throat at every turn. My assistant on the Normandy is a gay female. My dropship mechanic is a gay male. Liara is blatantly bi-sexual, and several other Asari in the story are either bi, or outright gay. There are people sitting in the local hospital talking about being gay, people in the commons talking about turning gay.. etc etc etc. It feels in fact, like there is more gay love and sex abounding in the Mass Effect 3 world than there are straight relationships.

To reflect on this: I am not homophobic - I can accept that people have relationships of their choosing. But when the NORM is 10:1 (or more) in favor of straight-to-gay in reality, and you have more gay than straight in the game world, it tends to wear on you quickly. It leaves an undeniable taste of "eww" in your mouth, due to the staggering amount of it.

All in all, a decent game - full of plenty of Mass Effect as we've known it. But a bit too much of "hay there!".. makes you wonder if the team writing/producing it was 80%+ gay. That part of it will not - never will, appeal to the mainstream audience. And is largely why ME3 is being blasted on Metacritic, among other sites on the web.

It is one thing when it happens in moderation, and isn't blatantly flaunted in public. But ME3 really does shove it down your throat again and again, and for most straight people that does produce a substantial amount of discomfort and distaste. It isn't that it is happening, it is that MOST ME3 characters turn out to be gay.

My recommendation for the game: either buy and play it knowing what is coming at you, or wait for the bargain bin price and see how much you can stomach before putting it down. It is not one of Bioware's masterpieces, and goes far beyond "touching on taboo issues" than it should.
  84. Mar 23, 2012
    I just finished Mass Effect 3 tonight. I have no idea what all the drama is about. I thought the endings were fine. What i did have a massive problem with thought was the lack of character subplots for your crew. Sort of made the typical experience just a bit more shallow. I also cannot and will not forgive Bioware for including FAFFING NINJA'S in Mass Effect. I like Ninjas just as much asI just finished Mass Effect 3 tonight. I have no idea what all the drama is about. I thought the endings were fine. What i did have a massive problem with thought was the lack of character subplots for your crew. Sort of made the typical experience just a bit more shallow. I also cannot and will not forgive Bioware for including FAFFING NINJA'S in Mass Effect. I like Ninjas just as much as everyone else. But not in mass effect. Oh and theres too many sexual innuendos in the opening parts of the game, that dont really fit into the story, to make it totally clear bioware are pandering to gay people. There is so much gayness until the middle of the game. Still. they did manage to improve on the graphics, sound and surprisingly gameplay. The closing experience also left a positive note, so an 8. Ps. I'm not fan of bioware (quite dislike them at the moment actually) or mass effect, just wanted to see the close the trilogy, so my expectations could have been lower than many people here. Lucky me then?? Expand
  85. Mar 19, 2012
    I have about 300 hours playing Mass Effect before I ever picked up ME3 for play. Frankly I love the series and even though Bioware has made some questionable decidions (Terminator Human from ME2) I still found a lot of fun in each of the two previous installments. With ME3 I found that indeed a lot of the key mechanics have been improved, while most of the RPG elements were stripped outI have about 300 hours playing Mass Effect before I ever picked up ME3 for play. Frankly I love the series and even though Bioware has made some questionable decidions (Terminator Human from ME2) I still found a lot of fun in each of the two previous installments. With ME3 I found that indeed a lot of the key mechanics have been improved, while most of the RPG elements were stripped out in ME2 they did manage to improve on the weapon element enough that I found it pleasing. The minigames from 2 are gone, as is planet scanning which is a good thing. I do miss something like the MAKO which added a needed element (Exploration) to the game. I think ME lacks this enough that its telling. The best way to describe this game is that the combat elements from 2 are streamlined and made into a game with limited dialog. I find in retrospect that the main strength of this series was always in the conciquences for your actions. In ME3 however I believe Bioware made a bad decision to bypass all of this with replacements that bypass any conciquences. I believe this is for the crowd who are new to the series but its telling and takes something away from the fanbase. Having said that its still enought to make a good game worthy of a score of 6 or higher, that is until you reach the climax of the game. Up until this point this series has been known for provding an experience based game that is defined more on the users choices rather than an A, B, or C path. It appears for the ending Bioware was unable to build an ending that followed the main game logic so they inserted a bland choose your path 1, 2, 3 to quickly end the series. To the uninformed this would not seem at first glance to be such a bad thing. However the thing that seperates ME from say Call of Duty in space is that who you TALK to and what you SAY to them really matters. When you decide to do X it affects Y. This was thrownout and a terribly written ending was inserted, to make matters worse the possible endings are drawn down into 3 main choices (15 sub choices) that are really just 3 endings. All of them slightly different and frankly bad. Very little is understandable, and nothing is really resolved. There are glaring plot holes in all of the endings, some so bad you see dead characters alive and well. For a series where the choice is the main attraction, to decide in the last few minutes to go out in left field is beyond me. Had the game been just average before the ending the score would be a deserved zero but since I was able to get 10-20 fun hours I have to up it a little. But the fact they ruined a series this badly is simply amazing.... Expand
  86. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The ending was so lame and lazy because it forced a set of copy pasta choices on me that provided no closure to your character or story. Just a space magic ending with different colored lights. I'm absolutely furious because they said all along that this would not happen. Not can I not play ME 3 again, it has killed any desire for me to even look at anything in the ME franchise. This is pretty serious since I've been on board with ME 1. To do me like this is a utter betrayal. If EA thinks I'm going to go buy DA 3 after this heinous crime, good luck. Until this issue is resolved by fixing the lame ending choices with real choices or something, I doubt I will pay one red cent to EA for anything. For crying out loud, this is exactly why they left the Lucas arts franchise behind when KOTR 2 got rush job now they do it to their own game like this? I'm sorry to all the voice actors who worked so hard on this and I still appreciated all their hard work. Most of the game was good and well voiced. However, the ending is just such a betrayal that it has destroyed any inclination to pick up this game or any other in the series because nothing I do has an effect on what architect/ghost dad/star child makes you choose to do. Expand
  87. Apr 9, 2012
    Though the ending may sour the taste of an otherwise amazing experience, BioWare must be applauded for creating a tale that has engrossed the minds of many through its compelling storytelling, varied gameplay, beautifully-realized universe, and incredible characters. Mass Effect 3 isn't the pinnacle of the series, but it's certainly not the terrible ending that so many people would makeThough the ending may sour the taste of an otherwise amazing experience, BioWare must be applauded for creating a tale that has engrossed the minds of many through its compelling storytelling, varied gameplay, beautifully-realized universe, and incredible characters. Mass Effect 3 isn't the pinnacle of the series, but it's certainly not the terrible ending that so many people would make it out to be. That said, BioWare, that last 15 minutes was pretty awful. Expand
  88. May 19, 2012
    -------STORY 9.0------- This is one of the few games in which talking about the quality of the game's story instead of the trilogy doesn't make sense. If anyone plays this game without having played the previous 2 games... they're doing it wrong! The story plot is amazingly well written and really makes you care for your followers, it has what most games don't: It sucks you into the world-------STORY 9.0------- This is one of the few games in which talking about the quality of the game's story instead of the trilogy doesn't make sense. If anyone plays this game without having played the previous 2 games... they're doing it wrong! The story plot is amazingly well written and really makes you care for your followers, it has what most games don't: It sucks you into the world of Mass Effect turning it into a Star Wars of the Gaming Industry. Definitely not a game for children, not that it has too much violence or strong language, but because it's really emotional, the difficult choices you made until this game will hunt you down and will be reflected on the game's direction. What made the fans so mad was the fact that these choices don't affect the end of the game. Being a renegade or a paragon player the ending is always the same, not that the game developers don't have the right to control the ending but at least the decisions should be reflect in a more intense way. Instead of being a whole, the plot of ME3 is divided in individual smaller plots that don't connect with each other, being the final one only related to Shepard and the fate of the universe. -------SOUND: 10.0------- More than in the previous games, the soundtrack binds you to the game in such a strong way that makes this game one of the best games I've ever played. With time I've come to notice the importance of music and sound effects in movies but even more in games. It's subtle, but it's the final and most important connection between the game and the gamer. The soundtrack doesn't need to be good while listening to it separately, it wasn't made with that intention, it was made to emphasize the emotions or even create them for a more realist and/or dramatic way. A true piece or art. -------GAMEPLAY: 8.0------- I wouldn't say it's just another shooter, cause it isn't, since you have that interaction with your teammates, special abilities (aka biotic powers), etc... it's just that it could be better, I really don't know what to write. The cover system is better but still with some problems, the existence of the heavy melee attack and over-the-cover melee gives a cool and rapid-pace feeling to the game as well as brutal, but it alone doesn't change much, I think the best new addition to the gameplay was the roll / evade move, that really lets you go all-out in a stylish way against your enemies. In non-combat situations the game gets too rpg for my taste, not that I don't mind making little errands but, specially in this game where the fate of earth is in your hands, chilling out in a bar may not be the best idea. In conclusion, you can play the game for fun as well as for interest in the story plot. -------GRAPHICS: 7.5------- Good, solid, could be better in humans, much better... It's OK for me but it's not what makes the game pop out. Don't get me wrong, though. I think it's a little better than in the previous games as it should be. -------ART-WORK: 9.5------- This is a special note that I don't think I'll be using in future reviews, but I bought the Art work book of ME3, and it is amazing. It really shows the readers the Universe and it's every detail, it shows what the players don't see while running through the lands of Tuchanka (for example...) it's really revealing. It's those things that make the game big. I really can't understand it fully but it's really impressive. Thanks for that Bioware. -------CONCLUSION------- For anyone who hasn't played it yet... please, for your own good... buy the Mass Effect games. It's a generation, it's a MUST-HAVE Expand
  89. Jan 14, 2013
    Perhaps one of the most unfortunate games in existence, both because it could never stand up to the expectations of fans and because it was played off by its creators and dozens of invested parties within gaming journalism as the second coming of Christ. It is a mediocre sequel and a disappointing finale to a well-loved series. Most unfortunate of all, however, is the way in which it andPerhaps one of the most unfortunate games in existence, both because it could never stand up to the expectations of fans and because it was played off by its creators and dozens of invested parties within gaming journalism as the second coming of Christ. It is a mediocre sequel and a disappointing finale to a well-loved series. Most unfortunate of all, however, is the way in which it and several other big-name titles of the last few years have come to represent the baldfaced corruption and lack of integrity within the video game industry. Games should judged as good based on their own merit, not on how many reviewers the publisher can manage to bribe. I give this game a four, for "bad." I would have given it an "average" of 6, but I subtracted one point for the paid-for reviews and one point for the way Bioware instructed journalists to attack their more critical fans. I regret having to look beyond the game itself and into the murk that surrounds it, but as the games industry continue to make video games less about games and more about the surrounding hype and media buzz, I have no choice but to add those factors to my score. Rent and return. Expand
  90. Jul 1, 2013
    After the dust had settled and the brutal "star child" wars have been waged, I returned to ME3, and it still serves as the definitively example of how to disappoint on all levels.

This game must have been designed to be a blockbuster with all those troublesome expenses related to quality cut out. The depth of the universe is gone, replaced by petty 3rd party dialogue microcosms that read like bad soap operas. The gameplay is as simplistic and vapid as the ending- even the hardest levels offer only random chance as a mechanic rather than strategy. Level design, if you can even call it that, is reduced to a corridor with walls to hide behind. If you are on a planet there is a nice background of a vibrant world that you will by no means be able to interact with ever- kind of a final "f-you" from EA.

There is more, so much more, but I'm getting tired and my love of the first two games can only create so much antipathy towards this one.
  91. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly in this game, everything good they add they add something terrible to even it out. The biggest improvement, by far, is the gameplay. They added tons of new weapons, rolling in cover, and to make Trench-Warfare a bit easier, quick-killing(grabbing). The singleplayer isn't as monotonous, in Mass Effect 2 it was recruiting and helping squad mates with the occasional mission against the collectors. However, the squadmates are a let down. Javik and James are the only new ones that haven't been seen before(forgive me if I'm wrong). Garrus, Tali,Liara, and Javik are the only alien squad mates, and there's no Drell or Salarian squad mates, much to my dismay. The graphics and animations are pretty much the same, if not slightly better. You can still upload from Mass Effect 2, so you aren't starting from scratch. For the ending, I am quite furious about it. Anderson is a fixed death (alongside other Mass Effect 2 squadmates like Legion and Thane) and apparently the indestructible Reapers are led by a ghostly kid who is also the Catalyst, a componet for the Crucible that you spend a lot of time looking for. Also, 2 randomly chosen squadmates will appear with Joker on survival island at the ending, not saying a word. However that's something that they're changing, so I will not be giving this game the 6 it deserves with it. As I mentioned before, many former squad mates are fixed deaths and die no matter what you do. However, all of the deaths, even the optional ones, are fitting. Thane dies saving a life rather than removing it. Legion dies either in defense of his species or to save them from annihilation. Mordin CAN(but doesn't have to) die curing the genophage, his biggest mistake. Samara CAN die fulfilling the code. Of course they add a heap of stupid and soulless characters, including a lesbian and a gay person. They also added Kai Leng, which I have concluded is a female after watching Thane hit him in his nonexistent balls 10 times. At least you get to slay him when it's over, I didn't hesitate for a nanosecond about the renegade interrupt. Also, they added Co-op Multiplayer which is the biggest new thing out of all the epic updates. You can FINALLY play as Salarians, Turians, Quarians, Asari, Drell, Geth, Krogan, Batarian, and even as a Asari Justicar. It's hard to implement slow motion attacks like Biotic Charge and such when others don't want random slow-mo, but they executed it very well. And a very prevalent topic is the day 1 DLC. I hated it too, but it's not a good reason for plop a 0 down as your score. The new War Assets idea was brilliant. Now you can do side quests and scanning parties for something more important than research material(removed, sadly). Anomalies and random missions were pretty much worthless in mass effect 2, except being very fun. Now they are fun and benefit you by giving a War Asset. Depending on the final decision in Mass Effect 2(destroying the Collector Base or not) you need a certain amount to keep Shepard alive and to keep Earth from utter destruction. A HUGE problem for me was the enemies. Besides having fairly stupid 1-shot kills (unavoidable once it starts), there's only THREE FACTIONS. It would be fun to have a boss on wave 11 in multiplayer, like a Geth Colossus or a Gunship, but no. In fact, in single player, the final boss is the infamous Marauder Shields, in which you have no choice but to use the limitless ammo M-3 Predator(Which I never used after I found my first Weapons Bench). At least they added gun modifications like extended barrels, and upgrading the guns to I and V and X. All in all, this game is excellent but if you're a poor starving person on the streets, prepare for the attack of the DLC. Expand
  92. Mar 28, 2012
    Awesome game. Choices made in the previous games still have some impact later on. Even in some small conversation details. Though the ending should be better I still had a blast playing this game.
  93. Mar 12, 2012
    I know many people are upset with the ending of this game, it's no secret. Even I was disappointed in the way everything played out. However, as a fan of the Mass Effect series since Mass Effect 1, I can't be over-critical of just the ending. I also need to give credit to the fact that Mass Effect 3 was a great game for 99% of the content. It had a very full continuation to the story ofI know many people are upset with the ending of this game, it's no secret. Even I was disappointed in the way everything played out. However, as a fan of the Mass Effect series since Mass Effect 1, I can't be over-critical of just the ending. I also need to give credit to the fact that Mass Effect 3 was a great game for 99% of the content. It had a very full continuation to the story of Shepard and there were seamless improvements to many of the features that I dreaded in ME/ME2. On top of the fantastic story that was presented there was also the Multiplayer function that was added. While it may only appeal to some people, it has been very well received overall. It's very addicting, and it can really be a great time sink for you and your friends. It promotes teamwork and punishes those who do not communicate. I hope to see some DLC in the future for the MP feature at some point, it has a near limitless expansion area. Back to the single player campaign, I can't rate this game lower than a 6 in good conscience just based on the ending, I won't lie, it's very upsetting and with that said 4 points off a perfect 10, which could have easily been achieved without that hole-filled ending, is quite a hit to the score without getting too over emotional. While I hope that Bioware will at least make a statement to appease us, I feel that the damage has already been done, damage which cannot be undone with simple means. A patch/DLC to add an alternate ending is possible, but the question will always remain as to why it was even needed in the first place. Bioware has talented writers and I praise them on creating the Mass Effect universe, but I wonder how they honestly thought this would play out in the end. In closing, Mass Effect 3 was a fantastic game, filled with combat and rich story-telling. It's sure to satisfy you right up until the end, where it drops the ball. Be warned if you decide to continue your Shepard's story as you may be left feeling ill. Expand
  94. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best game in the series for sure..... until the last 10 minutes.
    The ending is absolute crap, confused, nonsensical and full of "space magic".
    Adding insult to injury, all the choices you've made in the prevoius games do not count toward the ending, which is basically a "pick your favorite color" choice.
  95. Mar 25, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First of all I like this games single player and love the multiplayer and glad they added it. Making Shepard die is bs and day one dlc just makes me rage. If there was a good ending and no dlc this game is a 10 but EA's greed has made it to a 6. Expand
  96. Mar 28, 2012
    Aside from the endings, I found this to be a great experience. I really love the storyline, the voice acting, the graphics. I appreciated the romance / friendship development with the cast. This is presently my favorite game and I am generally not a fan of Sci Fi or Shooters.
  97. Jun 24, 2012
    This game was amazing! The character was deep and the final conclusion made my boner rip through my pants. The gameplay was solid, with great innovation from EA but the game still holding to it's roots. I really don't understand all the hatred this game receives. If you read into the indoctrination theory and follow the correct ending you will probably see the ending as one of the greatestThis game was amazing! The character was deep and the final conclusion made my boner rip through my pants. The gameplay was solid, with great innovation from EA but the game still holding to it's roots. I really don't understand all the hatred this game receives. If you read into the indoctrination theory and follow the correct ending you will probably see the ending as one of the greatest ending's of all time. The ending ranks high on my favorite endings, among Fallout 3, Bioshock, etc.

People who hate this ending are self-entitled brats giant expectations that are unrealistic. Each ending PERFECTLY reflected your decisions throughout the game. lol
  98. May 19, 2012
    this game was like a bad movie, you follow, step by step, the cheap storyline. theres even an option to disable choosing dialogues which tells you how important your decisions are in this game apart from the action, which is fun it's achingly dull.
  99. Mar 21, 2012
    I was seriously enjoying this game for 95% of the time I played it. In fact, if I could have, I would have given it an 11 out of 10. But then I reached the end. Don't worry, no spoilers, but let's just say the ending seriously leaves something to be desired. The gameplay aspect is just as good as that of Mass Effect 2, and the story itself (except the end) is nearly flawless. Mass Effect 2I was seriously enjoying this game for 95% of the time I played it. In fact, if I could have, I would have given it an 11 out of 10. But then I reached the end. Don't worry, no spoilers, but let's just say the ending seriously leaves something to be desired. The gameplay aspect is just as good as that of Mass Effect 2, and the story itself (except the end) is nearly flawless. Mass Effect 2 is absolutely my favorite game ever played, and Mass Effect 3 (Singleplayer) is a great game with a flawed ending. What bumps this game from the 8/10 I would have given it to the 9/10 I am giving it is the multiplayer. While it isn't the main focus of the game (not for me anyway), I foresee it entertaining me for a while while I rank up all the various classes. In summation, it would be a 10 from me, but the ending was flawed at best, so it's a 9. Expand
  100. Mar 21, 2012
    I will not deny the fact that the game is a great game and so is the series, but with one major issue. I don't remember any of all the great moments of the series or the 3rd game. Why? All I remember is the last 20 minutes and the ending and how I was left feeling like something was seriously wrong. I wont spoil it, but the choices we all made shaping our characters all boil down to justI will not deny the fact that the game is a great game and so is the series, but with one major issue. I don't remember any of all the great moments of the series or the 3rd game. Why? All I remember is the last 20 minutes and the ending and how I was left feeling like something was seriously wrong. I wont spoil it, but the choices we all made shaping our characters all boil down to just three possible ending choices. Each choice is literally identical to each other save for the color. I mean literally the only difference is the color. For those who have not played yet you will see exactly what I mean when you get there and see the ending. Save for a few very slight differences. I will not say that the endings are totally bad, but that only works if the theories running around out there end up being true. The plot holes are too many to just be written off as this is the ending deal with it. Things do not make any sense, and we the players are left feeling totally put out by the series we love so much. All the choices, all the customization, all the freedom we had through the entire series are all thrown away in the ending. What we are left with is a hollow shell of what the Mass Effect series really has been. The signs are there that something is wrong with the ending. The tone, the feel, the way it pushes the player into literally a corner and says here make a choice that ultimately doesn't take into account all the choices and hard work you did over the course of three games. I was left searching for clues, much like everyone else, I was talking, searching, and sharing my thoughts on the game and the ending. So I must give props to Bioware and EA, if you wanted us all talking about the ending and the game long after it was over, you did it, but not in a positive way I'm sad to say. Sure the reviews on Metacritic can be flooded with BS bad reviews, but the real reviews I think are easy to spot. I loved the Mass Effect series and I recommend people play the 3rd game, its amazing and really makes the player feel part of the entire situation. It's just lost right at the end and it makes me sad to say that honestly. I rated it a 7 because the ending took so much away from the experience it literally made me upset. All the fun, all the deep enriching choices, all the torment over making hard choices, it all was leading to a final battle that ultimately was a let down, with little to no closure. I wanted to see the forces I worked to bring into the fight actually kicking some butt. I wanted to see the entire race of beings come in and unleash fury on the reapers, but I say none of that, instead I get a great space building to a battle that just sorta fades away. The ending for me was not bad per say but it clearly was wrong in how it feels. Something is missing, something is wrong, something more is coming. This can't be the end, it just feels so terribly wrong. When I look back on the experience I say it was worth it, but I struggle now to remember all the great and tough moments all because the ending clouds it all up. Makes me sad, and I pray that I am right in that there is something more the developers intended that is coming, I pray. Expand
  101. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers. I love this game! Mass Effect 3!
    I enjoyed ME2 a lot. I haven't played ME1. Its too outdated graphics looking old game. ME3 has a good solid story and RPG ish elements. I like the combat system a lot with the power abilities. Many classes.
    I love Garrus