5.3

1. Mar 17, 2012
    Lack of player agency is the theme of this game. Between all the reduced roleplaying options and scripted combat events, you'll get constant cutscene killed by enemies as though they're the dragonborn. Then there's every time they bring out Kai Leng, a book antagonist, and you get to watch Shepard flop around, not use any biotic or tech powers you may actually have, and generally beLack of player agency is the theme of this game. Between all the reduced roleplaying options and scripted combat events, you'll get constant cutscene killed by enemies as though they're the dragonborn. Then there's every time they bring out Kai Leng, a book antagonist, and you get to watch Shepard flop around, not use any biotic or tech powers you may actually have, and generally be terrible until Leng leaves. This is how Bioware does a recurring antagonist. I felt more like I was reading a book about Kai Leng than playing a game about Shepard every time they trot this guy out. Expand
  2. Mar 9, 2012
    ME1 was the first game i genuinely bought, the game was so incredible it single-handedly pushed me into Steam. I really can't stress how much i liked the last two games, writers seemed like they gave a f*ck about what they did.

This is the biggest letdown i've felt in a videogame, i wish i hadn't even thought of buying it. To all who still have faith on the plot (as in, haven't played ME3) stay the hell away from ME3. Assume it ended on ME2. Please, really. I know the game starts awesomely but it gets terrible faster than you can expect it to.

Please, don't play it. If you have that much curiosity, watch the 3 (yes 3) endings on youtube. Please, i'm trying to spare you. Please
  3. Mar 14, 2012
    Never has a game dropped the ball so INCREDIBLY; it is beautifully wrought and so well done that you will overlook many of the plot holes it does have and a lot of the laziness that went into the game; from BioWare's use of stock images to well over a hundred graphical and audio errors and various glitches that will sometimes even make your quest bug out and you can't finish it. ErrorsNever has a game dropped the ball so INCREDIBLY; it is beautifully wrought and so well done that you will overlook many of the plot holes it does have and a lot of the laziness that went into the game; from BioWare's use of stock images to well over a hundred graphical and audio errors and various glitches that will sometimes even make your quest bug out and you can't finish it. Errors with importing save games an inability to even transfer your custom faces over... so many things wrong, but the visceral gameplay and climactic build-up of the game, the choices and the story, well... you' be willing to overlook it... almost. You might have cringed at times and facepalmed at others but chances were, you'd still enjoy it and still had a good game.

But the ending... dear GODS... BioWare lied on every front; nothing they promised for endings are there. The ultimate tale of Shepard concludes with you losing to the Reapers regardless of how well you fought, and having spent an entire game building a fleet you never get to see in action, ending on a note that essentially says, "Yeah, we're going to make more games because we're sure you'll pay for it."

With content cut from the game so it could be sold at day one, them finishing the game early enough so you could actually download it before release (as I did) if you pre-ordered but STILL having a host of technical issues... and an ending that would have fit better in an obscure Japanese Anime (and has been known to make fans of that genre just as mad anyway; check out Neon Genesis Evangelion for a reference example) the game has literally dropped the ball on all marks and BioWare has fumbled their chance to make history (beyond being the butt of what will likely be a long standing joke). If you were looking for something to finally dethrone the CoD franchise or Halo or other gaming giants, this game is NOT your champion. And if you DO like those games? Better you stick to them and avoid ME3.
  4. Mar 14, 2012
    Played the whole series and each game multiple times. The series as a whole, defined gaming for me. But the ending ruined the franchise and what it stood for. Just read the link below.

5. Mar 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 undoes every decision made throughout the entire series in the last 15 minutes. The 3 endings are too similar and create plot holes larger than the Milky way. The only choice you have at the end is what color explosion do you want to send throughout the galaxy. The game engine hasn't made any significant improvements but I don't really mind that so much. The biggest problem is the ending. This is perhaps the largest letdown in gaming history. Expand
  6. Mar 14, 2012
    This games ending was a major disappointment. Everything was great up until the all choice, freewill, and consequence were taken away from the player in the final moments. If it weren't for the ending I would easily give this game a 9/10. However, the ending was so terrible that I (almost) wish I could unplay all of the other games and never had wasted time on them. I felt similarly whenThis games ending was a major disappointment. Everything was great up until the all choice, freewill, and consequence were taken away from the player in the final moments. If it weren't for the ending I would easily give this game a 9/10. However, the ending was so terrible that I (almost) wish I could unplay all of the other games and never had wasted time on them. I felt similarly when lost ended but at least I could respect it was not my decision. In this case, Bioware led the players to believe the ending was our decision (through the choices we made in the game). Apparently, not... I sincerely hope that Bioware adds additional post-game content in upcoming DLCs to make sense of this pointless ending. Expand
  7. Mar 14, 2012
    I really don't know what went wrong but those endings and their consequences must be the biggest letdown i've ever experienced in gaming history. The game (without the 10 mins in the ending) deserves a 9/10 but the ending is so horribly full of plot-holes and unansweread questions that I am left speechless.
    In a game where the story and it's characters are the main reason for buying it, how can you end it like this?
  8. Mar 18, 2012
    My rating's slightly higher than the average and that's simply because I played the game knowing the ending was horrible but went in with an open-mind anyway.

Frankly, Day 1 DLC doesn't bother me. It's going to come out anyway, I don't think it really matters when it comes out. Sure, it being on the disc might suck, but nobody has actually proven that every piece of data included in the DLC is on the disc as well.

As for the game itself? Some of the best 20+ hours I've spent in a game. No really, it is. That 28 hours I spent on my first run-through wasn't bad, much of it felt really good. The environments were a bit repetitive from the second game but the character writing was absolutely fantastic, and much of the plot was fine until the last 10 minutes of the game.

That's honestly the deal breaker for me. I give the game a 4 because the gameplay and character design were sold extremely well for me, but everything else was just plain crud. From the whole gimmicky "War Readiness" metagame to the absolute horrible ending. Those last 10-15 minutes are some of the worst minutes I've ever spent on any video game.

It's not that it's bad that's the problem, it's that the ending doesn't really change that drastically from each option. Not only that, but your actions leading up to that point might as well not have happened, because doing the side-missions in the game doesn't really do much more than alter your "War Readiness" level, which doesn't change the endings as much as you'd expect. Other than these points, many of the ending scene is just absolutely confusing, non-sensical and it leaves you with much more questions than answers.

That last one's really important. If I finish a story and I've got more questions than answers, and there is no sequel planned, then I really hate that story. Essentially it ends the story on a sort of cliff-hanger that you know you'll probably never get to see the bottom of, and that's just disappointing and somewhat cruel.
  9. Mar 19, 2012
    Incredible production values with great combat design and customization, topnotch voice-acting, writing, art and music / sound-design can't hide that the conclusion to the ME trilogy was rushed. Cut-corners are visible everywhere but it isn't until the finale that the game falls apart. The level of failure here is spectacular and historic: game ends in a disappointing, disjointed,Incredible production values with great combat design and customization, topnotch voice-acting, writing, art and music / sound-design can't hide that the conclusion to the ME trilogy was rushed. Cut-corners are visible everywhere but it isn't until the finale that the game falls apart. The level of failure here is spectacular and historic: game ends in a disappointing, disjointed, contrived mess that betrays the trilogy's themes and your earlier choices. No matter what ending you play towards, the result is portrayed in the same cut scene with minor cuts and a different color scheme. The implications of the choice are so nihilistic, they sap your will to replay through the story again. The fan backlash is not about entitlement but about poor game design. Trust the hype: the end really is as bad as people say. Expand
  10. Mar 19, 2012
    Bioware keeps ruining it's name again doing demands of EA . Another huge disappointment sequel to a wonderfull RPG . First KOTOR then DAO and at last ME . This is last time buying a bioware game before reading user's critics .
    ME is not a RPG it is just a FPS including a cheap tv movie story or reverse . Choices (including your choices from ME1 and ME2 ) do not effect anything major in the game . They told about 14 different endings but all looked same to me , just colour difference ::)) .
  11. Mar 19, 2012
    unless something is seriously done to fix this game i will never buy from bioware again. they were my favorite company and now they are my most hated
  12. Mar 19, 2012
    No point in avoiding the obvious...ME3 is really a good game on its own... except for the ending. Wich is simply what matters most if u are making a ending to a triology that envolved allot of emotional investment, letting the player create the story as it goes... The entire ME game was focussed around this feature, and made it so very compelling. Choose to do A resulted in B. Or choose C?No point in avoiding the obvious...ME3 is really a good game on its own... except for the ending. Wich is simply what matters most if u are making a ending to a triology that envolved allot of emotional investment, letting the player create the story as it goes... The entire ME game was focussed around this feature, and made it so very compelling. Choose to do A resulted in B. Or choose C? Everything u did needed some carefull thinking...made u invest in characters... In the end it felt like u were writing ur own epic Scifi Novela filled with plots - action - romance ... And what happened? Frodo came to mount Doom and was about to throw the ring into the lave, just as Sauron revealed he had a failsafe switch that teleports the ring back to him and voila!!! Sorta how this felt... no matter how i enjoyed the series, wich i did, and credit for that. The feeling i have now is one of total disappointment, flustered, sad... Of all the ways it could have gone i cant think of a worse conclusion to this epic tale. In wich i thought i made a difference. I am left with confussion, 'hate'... Only to be greeted with a grand message from BW/EA to buy more DLC when released... Shame on u... Expand
  13. Mar 19, 2012
    Simply put, this game lived up to every expectation I had for the finale. It's everything I could've hoped for and more. Why such a low score then? Simple. The ending. As almost every other review says, the ending was such a colossal disappointment it ruined the series for me. It negated every other aspect of the past 2 games and simply was the worst ending to a video game I've ever seen.Simply put, this game lived up to every expectation I had for the finale. It's everything I could've hoped for and more. Why such a low score then? Simple. The ending. As almost every other review says, the ending was such a colossal disappointment it ruined the series for me. It negated every other aspect of the past 2 games and simply was the worst ending to a video game I've ever seen. If Bioware were to patch their ending with a DLC package it'd be fine. Just to be clear, the game does not have 16 different endings. It has 1 ending which varies in a few small details. In the end it's all the same. And it's all terrible. Don't get this game until they patch the ending.

10 for the whole game. -9 for the ending. Leaving us with a score of 1.
  14. Mar 19, 2012
    SPOILER FREE CRITIC:

SPOILER FREE CRITIC:

1-All your decision in the game produce military points that determine the type of ending you have. But these points affect argumental outcomes that are not related with them. For example (not real, but good for giving you an idea): if you have saved Jon the missile would destroy the reaper. If you didn't save him the missile will fail. That's it, as stupid as it seems. So through the "trick" of measuring your decisions in a completely "out of context" point scale they have save a lot of story work. Without the story been changed by our decision, the decision lost the meaning, this is only a gears of war with almost no rpg in it. Even the different ending are the same clip with diferent colors.

2-Taking apart the ending the game resemble mass effect 2. Too repetive, although has some good points, but you can forgive that because you are preparing for the big finale. Problem here is that the finale is horrible. However you will enjoy the rest of the game. I encourage to not make sidequest, it is not worht it (the ending will be still horrible) and main quest have a much better quality.

3-The game sucessfully take into account your previous game actions for providing you (or not) help (or trouble) in some missions. That was quite good, at least in my story (I have heard not all are so good).

4-Missions are repetitive, lot of them with very poor argument. Lots seems like a multiplayer match with boots (indeed they seems like multiplayer maps).

5-Too much cloying conversations. In pevious games they were there too but were well introduced. Here they are all around and feels very forced. This is specially true in conversations between male characters.

6-You got the sense there is a love story because is has become a standart of these games. Very forced, underworked. If you are going to put love in your game do it properly with an appeling story, nothing bad happens if you do not put it.

7-DLC day one content. Quite important indeed, unlock protean squad member, that means unlock argumental questions about mass effect lore. Should not be an extra.

8-The protan lore, from the dlc is quite good. like the protean society a lot.

9- Wraping up. A few closer too mainstream thrid person shooter that previous games and less RPG. Still would be a good game with a good ending but...
  15. Mar 19, 2012
    The final 10 minutes of this...ugh,.. game?... is what I remember instantly when I think of Mass Effect 3.
    For the series to be one of the best space cRPG ever despite minor issues, for the ME3 for most of it's part living up to it's title, last moments of this game has redefined my entire perception of the series.
    I can't bring my self to start this game again, In fact I can't even
    I can't bring my self to start this game again, In fact I can't even think of replaying the whole trilogy as I intended. Animations have some issues, Quest Log is complete mess and some moments are disappointing. But the "great" finale ruins absolutely everything I loved about this series.
    It is first time ever something like this happened to me in 16 years of gaming. Mass Effect 3 left a very bad taste in my mouth and for that reason I give it ZERO score.
  16. Mar 21, 2012
    I rarely review anything, I prefer to enjoy things myself (after paying such a large amount of money, for my income). But Mass Effect 3, just destroyed many things I was proud of about the whole series.

First of all, beware of buying the game because of Origin. A blunt attempt to battle Valve, a bad one at that. Secondly, connecting the multiplayer portion of the game to your personal

Secondly, connecting the multiplayer portion of the game to your personal single-player experience and directly influencing your final score (thus the endings you can get), is just an awful way to promote the multiplayer part. And it's not even a small addition to the score...

That doesn't mean much though, because as thousands have said before me, the ending is just despicable. Plot holes, no personal influence, not making much sense, seriously rushed and totally disappointing to anyone who has actually connected with the game. People are actually thinking of alternative theories, just to fool themselves that the ending was logical.

This really feels like Dragon Age 2 (which had 5 dungeons in total and they were recycled in every way), Bioware having disappointed once again.
  17. Mar 23, 2012
    I want to state I personally started a metacritic account to rate this game. The game is not unplayable it just has some horrible flaws that ruin it as a whole. The good is as follows : The story it quite good, the voice acting is great ,it is a very emotional story, it really sucks you in and there is a lot more rpg elements(such as modifiable powers and weapons). The bad and it is reallyI want to state I personally started a metacritic account to rate this game. The game is not unplayable it just has some horrible flaws that ruin it as a whole. The good is as follows : The story it quite good, the voice acting is great ,it is a very emotional story, it really sucks you in and there is a lot more rpg elements(such as modifiable powers and weapons). The bad and it is really bad is as follows: The whole premise of the Mass Effect series is that chose matter, this is totally taken away from you in the ending(s). Even if you made the best chose in every three games import your character over all three, it doesn't matter. The thing that makes it incredibly frustrating is that you lose many character over the course of the games and you make friends and even lovers, and to be given an ending where in that all that sacrifice, all that character development means nothing, especially over the course of three game, is simply not acceptable. The ending honestly ruined the entire gaming experience for me. Other things that bad is decision you made in Mass Effect 2 dlc's & Mass Effect 1 general story are invalidated. Examples, You kill Wrex in ME1, he is back in ME3, you rekindled your relationship with Liara in ME2 Shadow broker dlc, she acts like she has seen you but for the brief time in ME3, You made Anderson a Counselor in ME1, Udena is the Counselor in ME3. A lot of fan favorites are also not playable character in ME3. Wrex is not playable, All of the added cast in ME2 are not playable, though they do make appearances, it is honestly really sad to see them take a back seat in ME3. There is also the day one on disc dlc, which I personally got the N7 special edition of ME3 so i got it for "free", it is actually quite vital to the story and should have been free in all additions.
    In conclusion i tried really hard to like this game. I loved it for the most part, but literally the last 10 minutes of the game ruin it. I know Bioware was aiming for a bitter sweet/deeper meaning ending. It honestly feels poorly executed at best and at worst a big slap in the face to the customer base that made this game so successful. I would not recommend this game to anyone. If you insist on playing it stop after you have your big chat with all your crew and friends, before the final battle, because the ending will ruin it for you. Just tell yourself you won and everyone lives happily ever after, because even the "best" ending is a sad one. So yourself a favor and pass on Mass Effect 3.
  18. Sep 6, 2012
    This game is utter garbage compared to ME one and two. I seriously cannot understand why so many people propped this game as a wonderful experience when the ending was boring as could possibly be. The fact that NO new characters were available and that they wanted you to mix and match characters from the first two games who had no correlation to one another on most fronts didn't helpThis game is utter garbage compared to ME one and two. I seriously cannot understand why so many people propped this game as a wonderful experience when the ending was boring as could possibly be. The fact that NO new characters were available and that they wanted you to mix and match characters from the first two games who had no correlation to one another on most fronts didn't help either. The voice acting is terrible and overall it's a huge let down from two's ending let alone one which was rough around the edges yet ultra playable. This game made me want to chuck the install disk into the street. Don't waste your time. Sheppard isn't doing so well these days. Expand
  19. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the biggest betrayals in the history of video games since Ultima 9. I loved the series. From start to finish. Well at least up to a couple of minutes before the finish.
    The story disappoints on the end. And without story Mass Effect is a sub-par action game and nothing more. I'll let the bugs, horrible animation and dumbed down gameplay go for the time being. The game is such a let down that it made a feel a little sick. First of all having lost my ME2 saves, there's a whole different world in ME3. A world which totally disregards almost everything that happened in ME2 and ME1. Up to the point of having characters which had a lot of history in ME2, meet like total strangers in ME3. But whatever I let that slide too, maybe I should have back-upped my saves.
    The endings are awful and whatever you choice you made over the last 2 games and this one become moot. It sort of feels like the story writers were either drunk or they had watched the last 2 Matrix movies or they had no time to finish a cohesive story and just rambled on about their pseudo-philosophy.
    The game's story becomes so pretentious that it renders anything you've build up over the years from playing these games into a joke. I'm a minority and I'll say that I enjoyed DA2 but the signs from Bioware's decline were evident there. Maybe I thought that they wouldn't throw the ME series under the bus just to get their cash. Maybe they would give a sh*t about their fanbase. Maybe they would try hard to properly finish a so far brilliant series. But no. Everything you knew and loved about the game goes down the drain in the last 10 minutes of the game. It's so horrific to watch and play through it.
    At first it looks like a joke, you thing "No, they couldn't possibly suggest..." but then reality kicks in and your start to fearfully realize that this is it. This is the end they are offering you. You can get your war assets to a point that you might get something positive but for that multiplayer is essential which is completely pointless and annoying for many players. Why punish people who either dislike the multiplayer aspect or just plain can't be bothered with something that's its not supposed to affect the single player part of the game?
    There is no redemption in ME3, this is just shockingly bad. You may defend the game, you might appreciate the "Shepard dies" ending(s) but the fact of the matter is that the game not only restricts your choices to strictly linear level but it also spits on your face by making every effort you've put into creating a better character, a unique character with his own choices and personality, completely pointless.
    Mass Effect 3 is a bad game even if you're not invested in the trilogy like many of the fans were. From a technical point of view, the game has graphic issues, the facial animations have been worsened since the last game (don't know how they managed to pull that off), the action is mediocre at best, always repetitive and sickeningly linear. The dialogue is poor at times and borderline b-movie-esque, there are many plots holes in the story, both in itself but also when comparing the last two games, and for the game time is relatively short, assuming you follow the main questline. With 100% completion of all side quests, no dialogue/cutscene skipping, observing ALL secondary dialogues/chats between NPCs where available, talking to ALL crew members all the time and exhausting all conservation option, the game time will not exceed 30 hours. That makes the game not a game but a visual novel. Which would be fine by me; Mass Effect 2 follows the exact same pattern, but the disappointment at the end of the game is just too much to forgive from all this pile of flaws. BioWare have made a terrible game and a terrible mistake by creating ME3 as they did. I feel sorry for all ME universe fans like me who highly anticipated the game and spends their money just to see one of their favorite worlds destroyed by shoddy writing. I would say to any fans of Mass Effect who might be deterred from buying the game to just wait till the price drops and then get it, so they can see for themselves. I felt insulted while playing the game and this has never happened to me before and I've played a lot of bad games over the last two decades. Shame to you BioWare. Even 20 DLCs won't make this right. And I'm sure you'll start releasing them soon enough but I don't think this fish is gonna bite.
    PS: You've got a lot of work to do in order to reclaim your fans when ME4 comes out. A lot of work...
  20. op8
    Mar 18, 2012
    ADVICE (to ppl who have'nt finished the game): Stop playing 10 minutes before the end....seriously!! ...you will be happier. The ending will infect your brain with a malignant non-operable cancer that will then ruin the ENTIRE trilogy for you, meaning any replay of any of the games will feel utterly pointless.Mass Effect should deserve a 90% score for being one of the best action sci-fiADVICE (to ppl who have'nt finished the game): Stop playing 10 minutes before the end....seriously!! ...you will be happier. The ending will infect your brain with a malignant non-operable cancer that will then ruin the ENTIRE trilogy for you, meaning any replay of any of the games will feel utterly pointless.Mass Effect should deserve a 90% score for being one of the best action sci-fi trilogies we have available to us, but goddamnitt, why did they have to ruin it with such a ridiculously lazy ending!! Expand
  21. Mar 11, 2012
    Take away the compelling story from the mass effect series and what are you left with? Most people would agree we're left with little more than a sub-par shooter. Bioware often gets a pass on this because the story elements are so strong and interesting. NOT THIS TIME OUT. The story and especially the incomprehensible nonsense ending make for a tale that sucks the awesome not only out ofTake away the compelling story from the mass effect series and what are you left with? Most people would agree we're left with little more than a sub-par shooter. Bioware often gets a pass on this because the story elements are so strong and interesting. NOT THIS TIME OUT. The story and especially the incomprehensible nonsense ending make for a tale that sucks the awesome not only out of this game, but also out of the rest of the franchise which have been building up to an epic ending, where literally NONE of your choices throughout the entire series make an impact. Not having this strong story to keep you going, be prepared to suffer through this sub-par shooter Expand
  22. Mar 13, 2012
    Plot is very bad.Endings are epic fail.This is just First-person-shooter with a number of useless dialogs.
    This is worst game of this trilogy.0 from 10.
  23. Mar 13, 2012
    well i liked me 1 and 2 but this is a huge disappointment. from the poor ai to the stop start nature of the story the game nver flows. but the thing that really disappoints is how different the official and user scores are. clearly this is a poor game and yet it sores so high. i feel that the days of impartial reviews are gone as is original game making.
  24. Mar 16, 2012
    Publisher lied to the fans, there is no choice, nothing you do matters, worst ending to a series in gaming history. I have never been more disappointed in a game in my life, having spent over 100+ hours playing all 3 in the series only to be lied to like this. Do not buy any Bioware game.
  25. Mar 19, 2012
    Not only did the ending ruin THIS game for me, but I cant even bring myself to play the previous games. It literally brought me to tears in places, but the last 5 minutes devolved into utter nonsense and bad logic. I'm ashamed that I actually paid for this travesty, I should have just let my imagination end the series.
  26. Mar 30, 2012
    Somehow, everything good about Mass Effect left with the writer that was responsible for the opening part of the trilogy. I cant think of any positive thing about ME3, none, only the terrible things remain. Suddenly, I realized how poor of a sci-fi ME is, things that didnt matter suddenly became game-breaking for me. For example, the animations, the "every species speaks english", theSomehow, everything good about Mass Effect left with the writer that was responsible for the opening part of the trilogy. I cant think of any positive thing about ME3, none, only the terrible things remain. Suddenly, I realized how poor of a sci-fi ME is, things that didnt matter suddenly became game-breaking for me. For example, the animations, the "every species speaks english", the sci-fi clichés, the bisexuality, etc. All in all, the story is just plain boring, not to mention it has many plot holes. Dialogues were terrible and the ending was a colosal dissapointment, something for people to gloat about for decades to come. Expand
  27. Mar 22, 2012
    OK, I really loved ME1 and 2. I anxiously waited for the 3rd game and see how is it going to end, what is going to happen to the characters and the galaxy. Up until the last 5 minutes of the game, it was completely blown!

But, suddenly, the game took a U turn and started going downhill fast.It betrayed not only me for insulting my intelligence, but it insulted the game itself. It ended without explaining anything or giving any kind of closure. And on top of it, it doesn't make any sense, not even for fiction standards.

The reason I am giving a score of 0 is the ending. If I were to score the game prior to seeing the ending I would have given it a 8 or 9.
  28. Mar 17, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Good:
    1. Weapons upgrade system. 2. Getting squadmate's abilities.
    3. Umm, reaching here, but the war effort meter gave me some motivation to visit all the systems.

Bad.
    1. Your choices in the previous games get retconned.
    2. The cover system is totally stupid and can get you killed if you just want to leap over an object.
    3, The space bar is the default interact button for everything (Blizzard is dumbing down their button schemes too to pander to casuals)
    4. The game will try and force you to go homosexual, freaking Garrus made a pass at me and wouldn't leave me alone! Cortez gets all emo on you and wants to hold hands with you every time you see him.
    5. More retcons: Ashley was a man? So where does that come out in the game? Oh it doesn't, it's just something a writer said in an interview later. 6. Stupid boss fights: Fight a giant Reaper dreadnought and blow it up solo when it takes a whole damn army and loads of missiles to blow one up in the final chapter. WTFPWN Leng in both both boss fight against him using shield drain and maxxed out inferno rounds.
    7. Stupid Ripped Off Ending: Instead of a stupid boss fight (which would have been preferable at this point) they give you a half an hour of UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES and then give you a choice of three endings which have no bearing on your progress in the game. Yeah, that was satisfying.
    8. DAY ONE DLC! Yeah, the greedy A-holes want to touch you up for another $10 after you already kickd them the $60. Good job EA.
    9. Stupid missions are all the same. Go in a base, kill a bunch of dudes that rush you. Collect data, mats, or some dude and get back to the ship. Timed missions have no timer. It doesn't matter, all of the missions are stupid easy.
    10. The exploration system got even more simplified so that 100% exploration can be achieved in about an hour.
    11. The War Resources Meter has no effect on the game. I freaking rescued the Volus Dreadnought, and I wanted to see it deployed in the final battle. It was no where to be seen. You liberate a bunch of viscous gangs for T'Lara for the war effort and it has absolutely no consequences. You also free T'Lara's murderous associate from jail and nothing negative happens after she swears to go on a killing spree. You don't even get in to any trouble with Bailey the head of C-Sec about it. Basically, nothing that isn't directly linked to the main story affects the game.
    12. I have a top of the line PC and the game graphics are crap. Artifacting and noise everywhere.
    13. The final encounter with the elusive man is a JOKE. Choose the renegade option or die and restart. LOL!!

I played this game in order to complete the trilogy and make use of my game saves. The whole thing was a serious let down from the minute I saw the message about the day one DLC. All three endings that I had involved Shepard dying in some way and even though they attempted to give you some closure by talking to the characters on a vid screen before embarking on the last mission, it just felt empty and that the sacrifice was for nothing. If you are just learning about this series, just pass on it. It's not worth the investment as the experience degrades seriously as the game progresses from box to box.
  29. Apr 5, 2012
    Why, oh why did this game get good reviews? It's very poorly done compared to the first two (I was a big fan of the first one, and the second one was okay.) This newest addition to the mass effect series is beyond flaws with not-so-flowing storyline, poor animation, and poorly optimized for the pc. To make matters worse, the storyline is full of holes as well, with parts becomingWhy, oh why did this game get good reviews? It's very poorly done compared to the first two (I was a big fan of the first one, and the second one was okay.) This newest addition to the mass effect series is beyond flaws with not-so-flowing storyline, poor animation, and poorly optimized for the pc. To make matters worse, the storyline is full of holes as well, with parts becoming inconsistent or unnecessary. I am a fan of Bioware, but this is by far the worst game I've ever seen them put out. Nice job, guys, you wasted my money. I truly say do not bother with this one, it will only ruin the series for you. Go play the first one. Expand
  30. Mar 13, 2012
    I was and still am a big fan of the first two episodes of the series and I've been waiting for the third one as if it was some sort of messiah - in vain. The graphics and the combat system are ok for me, however many elements of the story line - including the so-called "endings" themselves - are simple rip-offs of other games.

One of the most annoying aspects of the game is, however, that

One of the most annoying aspects of the game is, however, that if you haven't had a save from ME2, then you can not really make good choices. I can not explain it further without revealing details from the story, but I can tell you that the game punishes players who did not play the previous episode(s), trying to motivate players to purchase those episodes as well.

Summa summarum, the bad business model, the really... controversial ending and the constant feeling, that I have seen this before somewhere else makes me to advise everyone to avoid this game. I am, at least, seriously pissed because I spent money on this.
  31. Mar 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. *spoilers*

Last night I was so excited because I was at the final mission. I was thinking to myself, "This is the best game I have ever played." Tonight I feel saddened because I went from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows. The ending was cheap. I am fine with the 3 choices provided at the end but the execution was miserable. You get 3 almost identical scenes with a lousy text message at the end asking you to buy more DLC. I know the only real way to effect change is to vote with your dollars so I will be boycotting all future bioware games. It's a sad day to be a gamer when it's clear the companies would rather try to exploit you to buy more DLC than provide a good ending to a series they put so much work into.
  32. Mar 13, 2012
    Seriously horrified by the ending. Horrified. This game went from a serious 9-10 to a 3. No joke - it's that infuriating. You play for 100+ hours being told that your choices matter and the game developer, after taking your cash, essentially says "well, sorry, we don't care about your decisions - here's the worst ending of all time. Enjoy." Buy this game used or rent. And you'll probablySeriously horrified by the ending. Horrified. This game went from a serious 9-10 to a 3. No joke - it's that infuriating. You play for 100+ hours being told that your choices matter and the game developer, after taking your cash, essentially says "well, sorry, we don't care about your decisions - here's the worst ending of all time. Enjoy." Buy this game used or rent. And you'll probably want to do the same when they release Dragon Age 3. I know I will. Expand
  33. iao
    Mar 14, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 was such a disappointment. Really just feels like they're just trying to get money without giving the product in exchange. Nothing that you do in the game actually matters, the endings are incredibly similar and unsatisfying. The release-day DLC was just a slap in the face on top of it all.
  34. Mar 14, 2012
    the endings are really a big letdown, and what you did in the previous chapters does not matter at all contrary to what they advertized. Even importing old saves does not work regarding the decision you made. Also bioware is fraoudolent company selling a day 1 dlc with contents very important to understant the story for 10$. The game is subpar and the company behaviour horrible.
  35. Mar 14, 2012
    ME3 is really worst ME series

i want to refund Deluxe

ME3's Ending lacks consistency

and only color magic ending

i'm so disappointed

i never will buy Bioware games
  36. Mar 14, 2012
    Like everyone else, I loved the game - and hated the ending. I would say that the unfortunate thing is that five minutes of ending have made me question keeping the games. I think fondly back on months of talking with my friends about what the ending would be - only to really have it make no difference. Its stunning really, how quickly the game turns south too... it goes from being a gameLike everyone else, I loved the game - and hated the ending. I would say that the unfortunate thing is that five minutes of ending have made me question keeping the games. I think fondly back on months of talking with my friends about what the ending would be - only to really have it make no difference. Its stunning really, how quickly the game turns south too... it goes from being a game of loss, and battle, and trudging through the war, praying that the answers get easier at the next turn.... And then, the last five minutes, where nothing makes sense, and all the endings are (for all intents and purposes) exactly the same. Buy it, don't buy it. Be aware that the game itself is magnificent - but there's this underlying feeling that some pencil pusher asked the dev team where they were with the game, and the Dev Team said "We've got everything done but the last hour of the game. We're at this weird place in the Citadel right before the final battle." And the pencil pusher said "You've got two days, wrap it up, and ship it - whatever it is. We'll fix it with DLC." My further impression of this is how very short the game was. As a comparison - I picked up Mass Effect 2 about a week before Mass Effect 3 was released, and I only got about a third of the way through the game in that week (this is with knowing EXACTLY where everything was, and exactly how to complete all the missions - there was no fumbling or wasting time). I'm done with Mass Effect 3, finished it on Monday, having put in a very similar block of time - and that would mark day 6 of my ownership of the game. Ultimately, I'm part of the outraged many. I had problems with EA's Origin system, and getting a preorder from them - but I didn't let that deter me. I just ordered it from Best Buy instead... I was a defender of Bioware when the DLC scandal came up. But the ending? I feel like an abused girlfriend at this point.

Seriously, play the game - but at the moment where you're about to beam up to the Citadel, turn off your console, put down your controller, and go write fan fiction of what your ending should be. It will be more satisfying.
  37. Mar 14, 2012
    They really have been dumbing this game down since the first ME. I didn't really mind it because I actually really enjoyed the story and getting to know all the characters and spending hours learning back story and molding my story how I wanted. However the "ending" of the series really bothered me. It just plain out sucked. I've read all the theories behind why it was the way it was butThey really have been dumbing this game down since the first ME. I didn't really mind it because I actually really enjoyed the story and getting to know all the characters and spending hours learning back story and molding my story how I wanted. However the "ending" of the series really bothered me. It just plain out sucked. I've read all the theories behind why it was the way it was but it still doesn't explain why I get an ending that I have no say in. I can go through the 3rd game literally just do the story arc and get the same ending as someone who has played through all 3 games making all the big decisions and putting their time in to get to know the whole background of other characters. So many plot holes and unanswered questions. I literally would've given this game a 10 if not for the ending. The ending really ruined this game for me that I don't even want to go back and play the multiplayer. Which is actually decent in my opinion. It just bothers me to think about it. Bioware has really left a bad taste in my mouth. I can kind of forgive them for what they did to Dragon Age, but what they did to ME, no. Been a fan of the company since Neverwinter Nights and thought they could do no wrong, but this was the final straw.

On a side note to people saying "quit whining it's their game and can do what they want, you just want a stupid happy ending!" No. Just no. I wanted a game like Bioware promised where my choices actually made a difference. Instead of them abandoning all the idea and themes from the first two games and forcing me a **** ending. I wouldn't mind a happy or sad ending. I just want a good ending with some closure and not huge plot holes. It is their game but they owe to the fans to deliver what we want. We are the ones who pay for the experience. $120 for a lot of people just to be slapped in the face and told that your choices didn't matter like we said they would. I specifically made an account just so I could rant about this. It felt good.
  38. Mar 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Contrary to the formula of the first two games, all plots lead to a single set of endings that feel out of place with the rest of the franchise (including much of what happens in ME3 prior to the ending itself). I am hopeful that this was a brilliant marketing move on Bioware's part and that DLC can clarify the outcome. I'll update my rating accordingly should this happen. Expand
  39. Mar 19, 2012
    I'm almost ready to take it back and demand a refund. Most will comment on the endings, but the fact is, nearly the entire game is linear to the point of being comical. Frankly from what I can gather, none of your decisions in ME 1 or 2 have any real meaning past dialog or EMS changes in ME3. There is so much extra opportunity built in that anyone can pick the game up and play through itI'm almost ready to take it back and demand a refund. Most will comment on the endings, but the fact is, nearly the entire game is linear to the point of being comical. Frankly from what I can gather, none of your decisions in ME 1 or 2 have any real meaning past dialog or EMS changes in ME3. There is so much extra opportunity built in that anyone can pick the game up and play through it nearly identically as if someone had imported their save game. You can recruit the same species and complete the same quests. Expand
  40. Mar 19, 2012
    Whereas Mass Effect 1 and 2 were conventional action-adventure stories set against a sci-fi background, the third and final installment in the Mass Effect trilogy attempts to address "darker", "deeper", and more "mature" themes. Unfortunately, the writers lacked the depth and maturity themselves to properly execute this sort of change in tone. The result is a poorly-constructed storyWhereas Mass Effect 1 and 2 were conventional action-adventure stories set against a sci-fi background, the third and final installment in the Mass Effect trilogy attempts to address "darker", "deeper", and more "mature" themes. Unfortunately, the writers lacked the depth and maturity themselves to properly execute this sort of change in tone. The result is a poorly-constructed story poorly told.

While I would argue that these problems begin almost as soon as the game does (where Shepard watches a child -- the first ever portrayed in the series -- being killed), the game's ending has generated the most controversy and so is where I will focus the rest of this review. It's an attempt at a tragic ending without understanding what makes tragic endings work.

Tragedies have a long history in Western literature. While there is and has been a great deal of debate as to the structure of a tragedy, the core idea that makes a tragedy work well is that the hero's sad fate is the inevitable result of his or her character. Aristotle referred to this as the tragic hero's hamartia (which means "mistake", though it's often translated as "fatal flaw"). This is a very important idea because as Nietzsche argued, tragedies resonate with us because they contradict, not confirm, a pessimistic view of the universe: the tragic hero doesn't experience pain and misfortune for no reason, but instead experiences this pain as a direct consequence of his or her own nature. In other words, an ending is only truly tragic if it's the result of the tragic hero's shortcomings; an ending where "rocks fall, everyone dies" may be rather sad, but because it happened at random it's not tragic.

Mass Effect 3's ending fails because Shepard is not a tragic hero. In fact, Shepard does everything absolutely right up until the last 5 to 10 minutes of the game. Only then, by pure writer fiat, does he or she fail. There's no catharsis for the player, no satisfactory explanation, no hope. There is only "deep", "mature" death and despair.

If games are ever going to be art, they need to pay better attention to the artistic traditions that have shaped our culture.
  41. Mar 19, 2012
    This is the first metacritic review I have ever done as I have never felt inclined to do so before on any previous games. Mass Effect 3 was nothing short of the biggest disappointment in recent gaming history, the day one DLC was insulting to the fan base to say it nicely, the ending was a sheer abomination that has disgraced the franchise terribly with Casey Hudson simply going on to talkThis is the first metacritic review I have ever done as I have never felt inclined to do so before on any previous games. Mass Effect 3 was nothing short of the biggest disappointment in recent gaming history, the day one DLC was insulting to the fan base to say it nicely, the ending was a sheer abomination that has disgraced the franchise terribly with Casey Hudson simply going on to talk about more dlc to be released pre game ending that doesn't address any of the current issues. All in all it's honesty 120+ hours of my game time I'd rather have back Expand
  42. Mar 19, 2012
    Game is an epic 10/10 up until the last 10 minutes. The ending of this game is so bad that it not only ruins the rest of this game, but indeed it brings down this entire trilogy. In one stroke this went from being this generation's "Star Wars" to a joke. Your choices don't matter. At all. It was all so you could be force fed some BS by StarChild and forced to picked between differentGame is an epic 10/10 up until the last 10 minutes. The ending of this game is so bad that it not only ruins the rest of this game, but indeed it brings down this entire trilogy. In one stroke this went from being this generation's "Star Wars" to a joke. Your choices don't matter. At all. It was all so you could be force fed some BS by StarChild and forced to picked between different colored explosions. Honestly, I'm still in shock. I can't fathom how the writing team that gave us this series completely imploded on itself in the home stretch like this. Abhorrent. Expand
  43. Mar 19, 2012
    An absolutely atrocious wash of bugs and graphic issue, combined with Bioware's DLC pandering and an incomprehensible group of endings make this an easy game to not recommend. If you liked your choices mattering in the final moments of ME1 and ME2 be prepared for massive disappointment. If you still think this games for you, good luck; just don't fall down the plot holes.
  44. Mar 19, 2012
    Been a die-hard fan of Mass Effect since it's release. Mass Effect 3 is the best entry in the series...until the end. The end is hollow, half-assed, and does not change REGARDLESS of any of the decisions you have made up to that point. It just feels wrong. There is no closure and it really does ruin the entire series for me.
  45. Mar 19, 2012
    Not a very good game, I was expecting more from a highly anticipated rpg. The ending totally destroyed it and made it unworthy for what the game was expected to be. Overall I would say the graphics and game play cannot make up for the story and ending for any rps. Also the fact of day one dlc was a major turn off and didn't seem like it should have been dlc. This is more evident when theNot a very good game, I was expecting more from a highly anticipated rpg. The ending totally destroyed it and made it unworthy for what the game was expected to be. Overall I would say the graphics and game play cannot make up for the story and ending for any rps. Also the fact of day one dlc was a major turn off and didn't seem like it should have been dlc. This is more evident when the game files for the dlc were in the game itself and not even a download. Expand
  46. Mar 20, 2012
    more then 200 hours of playing just to get this stupid ending, and no, i don't care for closure or happy one, but this one slap in the face. Beside that game was fun, not ME2 fun bu still playable, too combat heavy and not as good as two other parts. In the end frustration and anger forced me to make account on MC just to warn - if u play - stop playing before ending - more fun thenmore then 200 hours of playing just to get this stupid ending, and no, i don't care for closure or happy one, but this one slap in the face. Beside that game was fun, not ME2 fun bu still playable, too combat heavy and not as good as two other parts. In the end frustration and anger forced me to make account on MC just to warn - if u play - stop playing before ending - more fun then watching the real one :/ Expand
  47. Mar 20, 2012
    Shepherd lies disgraced

Bad end ruined good story

I am heartbroken

I can't put my disappointment into words greatest game ever razed to the ground by it's own ending. If you enjoyed the other games avoid this one until they fix the end. Check out retake mass effect on facebook and twitter.
  48. Mar 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. SPOILER ALERT*** This game played fairly well, was interesting enough, and seemed to be fulfilling the 3 story arch's conclusion nicely. Not cutting edge or even inspired graphics at times, but great voice acting and pretty good cut scenes. Sure, the cut scenes got to be a bit much sometimes, making the game feel way too cinematic and not enough like an RPG, but we all knew the payout would be the resolution of the Reaper threat based on all the things we had done before. Then the developers got lazy, rushed, or both, and put out an ending which has been discussed extensively and yes, sucks every bit as much as the other reviewers said. It is a complete ripoff of the Battlestar Galactica ending as well - only done very poorly on what seemed to suddenly be a shoestring budget. Other things that will annoy you: You HAVE to download Origin, EA's game portal and online management system, in order to play. If this is the wave of the future for PC gaming, count me out. Steam worked just fine for the other 25 games I have, why make me switch to Origin for their 3rd installment? Also, finding resources on planets is so boring that you'll wish it was automated. Each planet has 1 location, which you mouse around to and fire a probe at. That's it. But really, it is the ending that will have you wishing you had never bought into the hype 3 games ago. They are all substantially the same, and all completely dumb. Seriously, the best explanation is that the producers were out of time, had just watched Battlestar Galactica, and said, "Let's force the players into an ending like that! They'll love feeling like they've been shoehorned into the end of such a great series. What? This is supposed to be at least slightly based on their decisions and input over 3 games? Bull! We're the creators and we get to decide what the ending is that we force upon them." Also note, many people think that we as gamers are just whining. (See the comments of some guy from WEDBUSH Securities, Michael Pachter, in this article: http://www.technewsworld.com/story/74668.html)
    Wrong. We paid a bunch of money and spent a bunch of time on this game because they made an explicit representation of it as a game where the ending would be based on your decisions. It wasn't. At all. Period. We're not whining. We're pissed and we want our money and our time back. And no, EA, charging me more money for a DLC that abates some of the colossal suckiness of this game is not a fix. Having great plans for the future of the game and stringing me along while you suck up my hard earned cash is also not a solution. How about releasing a game that resolves the plot based on our input, like you said you would when we started this journey, and I started handing over my cash, 5 years ago?
  49. Apr 5, 2012
    Loved ME1, enjoyed ME2 though the story elements seemed a bit repetitive, but ME3 was an absolute let down, crikey. Dumbed down conversation and massive plot holes paired with an absolute lack of give-a-**** for how much thought and investment players have put into the purportedly all-important decision-making process to date, since it all ends up about the same in the end anyway. blergh.Loved ME1, enjoyed ME2 though the story elements seemed a bit repetitive, but ME3 was an absolute let down, crikey. Dumbed down conversation and massive plot holes paired with an absolute lack of give-a-**** for how much thought and investment players have put into the purportedly all-important decision-making process to date, since it all ends up about the same in the end anyway. blergh. I wasn't going to spend the money after the day one DLC debacle, but I decided to give Bioware the benefit of the doubt. Never again, thanks. My *** is sore enough. Expand
  50. Apr 7, 2012
    Game was way over hyped prior to release and with to me rings alarm bells. Played the PC version at a friends, appalled, poor graphics, poor story, poor voice acting, poor continuity, poor game play. ME2 was great, ME3 is pap.
  51. Dec 6, 2012
    Any company that supports false advertising and not completing story critical characters then tries to sell the patched in contact on day 1 DLC gets a ZERO! Gamers have right to expect better.

EA's continuing saga of buying studios with good names then dragging them through the dirt needs to end. STOP BUYING EA PRODUCTS!
  52. Apr 18, 2012
    I agree with what pretty much everyone else here has said. It's all the more worse because it craps on what I had considered a near masterpiece (ME1). I'm done with Bioware.
  53. May 27, 2012
    I am sorely disappointed by this game. For the past five years, I have enjoyed shaping one of the most engrossing, and exceptionally written Sci-Fi franchise of all time. Not only were each of the individual Mass Effect games exceptional in their own unique ways in terms of gameplay, but they also had an extraordinary storyline that held true to canon even as the player's choices shapedI am sorely disappointed by this game. For the past five years, I have enjoyed shaping one of the most engrossing, and exceptionally written Sci-Fi franchise of all time. Not only were each of the individual Mass Effect games exceptional in their own unique ways in terms of gameplay, but they also had an extraordinary storyline that held true to canon even as the player's choices shaped them. This made for an extremely immersive gameplay experience that can be rivaled by few others. This also applies to 99% of the third entry to the Mass Effect series. While I find the first Mass Effect unique because of the sense of discovery and mysteries of the galaxy (much like Star Trek) and the second Mass Effect had a unique focus on the development of your crew and pretty good action; the third Mass Effect was unique because it was a story, an emotional and inspiring story that had been crafted personally to you based off of your actions in the third game. The over-the-top action that would make most third person shooters titles weep was a nice bonus, as well (this is in an RPG to top it off). But, to be honest, I am going to skip past the majority of the details of the game and get right to the part that affected this review's rating the most- the terrible ending. When I heard the game's ending was bad, I could have never imagined as terrible of an ending to a game, let alone the ending of an entire series, especially the Mass Effect series. To avoid spoilers, I won't go into too much detail as to the ending, but it was bad! Plot holes, circular logic, explanations pulled out of thin air and a horrific WTF moment destroy what would have been one of the best games of all times and inadvertently destroy the entire Mass Effect series. The ending doesn't even reflect a single choice you made throughout the series, NOT A SINGLE CHOICE. One could even say that the ending make the events of the first game entirely moot. I didn't want this ending, I wanted closure based off of my decisions throughout the series, you know, like the last two games. In summary, the game was epic, including the final battles. Sure there were flaws here and there, but most of them could be overlooked, up till the last 10-15 minutes of the game of course. I never thought that 15 minutes could dismantle over a hundred hours of gameplay spanning three games, not until I played Mass Effect 3 Expand
  54. Jul 7, 2012
    As a stand alone game, it was mediocre at best. As the 3rd installment in a trilogy, if failed in almost every way possible.
    Your character is no longer yours but a forced character by BW.
    Autodialog forces conversations in directions that go against the players choices. Boring, uninspired fetch quests inundate the game. Exceptionally linear in design, unlike the pseudo-free style of
    Your character is no longer yours but a forced character by BW.
    Boring, uninspired fetch quests inundate the game.
    Exceptionally linear in design, unlike the pseudo-free style of the previous games.
    Endings that nothing to smile about and everything to hate. Infused with massive, game breaking, space magic.
    Overall, a childish attempt at ending a trilogy. Not worth the purchase price.
  55. Mar 31, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't get me wrong. Mass Effect 3 is great, I love the music, gameplay, characters, multiplayer.... 99 % of this game is amazing... The ending just bugs me. It is terrible. It is stupid and illogical. It feels rushed. There are too many inconsistencies. It introduces spirit-ghost-child as new antagonist? in the LAST minute of the game. It gives some lame, stupid reason for reapers existence. I REALLY didn't care about that... Seriously if you tell your audience for 2 games and most part of the third that the reason for reapers reaping things is inexplicable and incomprehensible (I remember Sovereign and Harbinger mentioning something about it), you can't just explain it in three sentences, especially when the reason is stupid.... oh wait Bioware did that.

Is it enough to give this game such low review?
    In my opinion it is, because it is that crucial to the story and mass effect was always about the story...
  56. Mar 28, 2012
    Bioware replaced quality content, intelligent dialogues with plenty of options and a great overall RPG experience with more guns, more explosions, bigger **** fine asses and high heels. Feels like playing Resident Evil 5 except you get to say something every now and then. You can't speak to anyone on the citadel unless it's somehow mission related. Side missions appear and disappear fromBioware replaced quality content, intelligent dialogues with plenty of options and a great overall RPG experience with more guns, more explosions, bigger **** fine asses and high heels. Feels like playing Resident Evil 5 except you get to say something every now and then. You can't speak to anyone on the citadel unless it's somehow mission related. Side missions appear and disappear from your journal by themselves. The whole experience feels like the shell of what it could have been, but it is not. To conclude, the game would deserve a 5 but considering how much of a let down it was, it's getting a 2. Haters gonna hate. Expand
  57. Mar 29, 2012
    I can't say I enjoyed this game much at all. From the addition of multiplayer (which is required to get the best ending, unless you're willing to pay extra for iphone/android apps) which is uninspired at best, to the plot hole-ridden story, to the day 1 dlc fiasco, right up to the absolutely horrible ending, I can't say I could recommend this game to anyone.

Worst of all is that, for a

Worst of all is that, for a game series that markets itself as being all about how your choices affect the storyline, the game does an excellent job of ignoring all of the choices you made in the previous two games. Then there's the aforementioned matter of the ending, which is one choice dressed up as three choices. Bearing in mind that right up to a week before the game was released, it was marketed as having something on the order of 17 different endings, this game is completely disappointing.

It's not even a matter of liking really good games. If you like only halfway decent games, this still isn't up to your standards.
  58. Apr 4, 2012
    What can I say that hasn't already been said? They cut corners **** the previous choices had no major impact on the story (As we had been promised), I could go on but honestly I have better things to do.
  59. Apr 10, 2012
    CAUTION The author is not afraid of repercussion of this article, unlike ââ
  60. Apr 10, 2012
    The game at all is reasonable but the Ending DESTROYS everything.
    All choices along ME1 and ME2 really doesn't matter... the ME2 choices about collector base etc .. they are ignored. BioWare said that would be 16 different endings, but what we got was 3 different colors. RED BLUE or GREEN.
    The game at all is reasonable but the Ending DESTROYS everything.

There is no narrative coherence, the ending is filled with plot holes, ME1 and ME2 story was destroyed in a matter of minutes, they doesn't review their own games before launching? This doesn't make sense really.

Why am I giving a 0?

The answer is: The ending not only destroyed ME3 but the story of ME1 and ME2 too. ME3 became a action-shooter, there is only auto-dialogue, a few choices that i can count with my fingers. The game forces you to do some things, there is no roleplay anymore. I won't talk about the plotholes because in youtube you can find a lot of videos highlighting everyone one of them. They have done the same thing with DA2, they are trying to reach another kind of gamers, but to do that they are sacrificing their own fanbase. ME3 feels exactly like DA2: RUSHED. They didn't had the time to review their own creation what a crap!

Hire another writer. Only your writers can screw a incredible story like ME in a matter of seconds.

If I wanted to play make a Gears of War i would bought GoW. BioWare and EA are destroying every game they have. I feel sorry for them and for us cause we are losing a great developer. EA SUCKS.
  61. Apr 14, 2012
    The game was a solid 8 for the first third of the game, a 5 as I neared the ending and a 0 at the finale.

I was really looking forward to ME3 to build on the fantastic experience of ME2. I even bought the collector's edition in anticipation of a fantastic closure to the series. Sadly the plot holes that emerged, as well as a sense that the ending sequences were rushed out led to probably

Sadly the plot holes that emerged, as well as a sense that the ending sequences were rushed out led to probably one of the biggest games related letdown I have experienced in a long while. I can not in good faith recommend this game to anyone.

I suggest that the game websites that reviewed this game on launch do a before-after review after they have finished the game. I would be interested to see the final score on metacrtic.
  62. Jul 19, 2012
    The biggest issue with this game is its failure to deliver what the overall story arch of the previous Mass Effect games was leading up to. Mass Effect 3 is nothing short of magnificent and plays very well until its last few hours; during which, however, it starts to fall apart in an unprecedented manner. Unlike during the brilliant final mission of Mass Effect 2, almost none of theThe biggest issue with this game is its failure to deliver what the overall story arch of the previous Mass Effect games was leading up to. Mass Effect 3 is nothing short of magnificent and plays very well until its last few hours; during which, however, it starts to fall apart in an unprecedented manner. Unlike during the brilliant final mission of Mass Effect 2, almost none of the thematically important choices the players made during the game (or the previous installments) manifest themselves in the moments where the Mass Effect trilogy should have reached its climax. This ultimately renders all Mass Effect games a letdown, even pointless, since the overarching consequences of our decisions have been the M.O. of the series from the very beginning. Likewise, the infamous ending of the game (even after the Extended Cut) is a textbook example of inconsistent script writing that feels incredibly disjointed from the core themes of the series, as if the writers responsible for the rest of the Mass Effect universe had nothing to do with it. In the end, it is irrelevant whether the third act of Mass Effect 3 is so cheap and rushed because of EA, greed, Bioware's obligation to implement a multiplayer into the game, etc. The bottom line is that it's a failure of the concept and the storytelling that made the series unique in the first place, in short, it is a failure of artistic integrity. Expand
  63. Jul 20, 2012
    oh god oh god it's so **** bad why why why was this made please god end the suffering end it all **** me bioware, what happened to you babys, rest in peace
  64. Aug 24, 2012
    I will not lie to your face like many of the "Critics" have. This game is a total waste of time and a prime example of the end ruining the entire story. A pathetic attempt to push out a triple A game when in truth we are only given a sub par, (trying to be COD) waste of time. Bioware has long since abandoned their story and RPG roots. Another company beaten down by EA and staffed withI will not lie to your face like many of the "Critics" have. This game is a total waste of time and a prime example of the end ruining the entire story. A pathetic attempt to push out a triple A game when in truth we are only given a sub par, (trying to be COD) waste of time. Bioware has long since abandoned their story and RPG roots. Another company beaten down by EA and staffed with people who write worse then fan fictions. Making this game a ZERO out of Ten, from the Two I would have given it because of Biowares bad PR handling of the situation. Shame on you Bioware, you had real talent untill you pissed us all off, go away and make room for companies who diserve out money. Expand
  65. Dec 1, 2012
    This was a null game with no plot. It feels rushed and much too repetitive. I couldn't bare to continue it, and actually returned it after playing it twelve hours. I kept saying "It'll get better, it'll get better" but it didn't.

I suggest not getting this game and playing the first two games.
  66. Jan 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A stupid Deus Ex machina ending, that deviates from the history, that make you sad after playing. If you play since the first one, you will fell betrayed. Expand
  67. Mar 24, 2012
    Terrible end to what should have been the best franchise in the past 10 years and it has nothing to do with the ending. Below are my reasons why it is such a poor game.

- Single player RPG game forcing players into a multiplayer GoW style game. The worst thing about BW being taken over by EA is that EA are forcing multiplayer into every game which takes away vital resources from the SP portion of the experience which in ME was it's heart and soul.
    - Terrible 5 year old graphics, with little customisation and horrible anti-aliasing/textures
    - Story was laughable, such a shame they killed off some of the most interesting chars in gaming
    - Day 1 DLC which takes players for fools and also takes away one of the best lore/chars in the game
    - Clunky and very stiff animations which look like they are 6 months of polish away from finished.
    - Side quests are frustrating as they tell you a random planet you have to find but what they don't tell is that the cluster doesn't even show up on your map until a later pre-requisite has been done. Bad design.
    - VERY poor quest tracking and info updates. You get so many quests to do at once but if you finish the goal, you have to remember where you got it from and who gave it to you. This is not 1993 BW?!?
    - Ridiculous mechanic with scanning the solar systems and reaper awareness which discourages players from exploring which was one of ME best qualities in the last 2 games.
    - Forced gayness. I'm all for choice in game but to have so many gay chars throwing in your face about this or that becomes tiresome VERY quickly and makes you start to think that BW had an agenda.
    - FOV for the combat is far too close. ME has never been a GoW/COD clone. It has always been more tactical which goes against the decision to be so close as you never feel in control of the situation.
    - Small thing but the needed the option to remove your helmet. Some of the best helmet's look horrible and you can't take them off as you need the stats. Destroys immersion and connection with the player.
    - I am disturbed on how critically acclaimed this game is by the so called experts. It really goes to show how little their opinion really means and what an ass-kissing industry video games really is.
  68. Mar 11, 2012
    Fan from the first hour, this episode might be my deepest disappointment in my game history. Mass effect took foot in this rare category of the space opera, and today it commits a shameless suicide in the **** Call Of game butt hole. Why would the developers destroy this unique franchise by turning it in a total void of personality... 25 missions based on the following rule : "meet an oldFan from the first hour, this episode might be my deepest disappointment in my game history. Mass effect took foot in this rare category of the space opera, and today it commits a shameless suicide in the **** Call Of game butt hole. Why would the developers destroy this unique franchise by turning it in a total void of personality... 25 missions based on the following rule : "meet an old buddy from previous episodes, help him, watch him die/disapear somewhere". Why waste time on the multi-player side when 99.9% of this game reside in the solo side ?
    Why every game editor enforce the "multi-platform" downgrade rule with the **** texture ever on PC ?
    Didn't Bioware studios learned from DAO 2 ? It's the exact same scenario... Turn a brilliant unique game into a tasteless piece of **** for console kids.

**** you Bioware for ruining what could have been the best game trilogy ever.
    I seriously hope you'll announce a Mass effect 4 just to show us that your stupidity knows no boundary.
  69. Mar 22, 2012
    I´d just recommend to wait with your purchase until the current controversy subsides. If you´re a fan of the series and want to play now, DO yourself a favour and look up how the game ends, spoilers or no, because you might face serious disappointment. There are polls up within Bioware´s social community that show anywhere between 80-90 percent ofI´d just recommend to wait with your purchase until the current controversy subsides. If you´re a fan of the series and want to play now, DO yourself a favour and look up how the game ends, spoilers or no, because you might face serious disappointment. There are polls up within Bioware´s social community that show anywhere between 80-90 percent of players disappointed with the ending. Just... wait. At the very least, you´ll get the game much, much cheaper one month from now. The user score is so low it´s scary, by the way, I think the game by itself still reaches a decent 5. Expand
  70. Mar 13, 2012
    Downloadable Content on release, outdated graphics from 2008, and extremely buggy gameplay where everyone in the future can turn their heads 180 degrees. Avoid this game. Not only does it charge extra for DLC on release day, it also contains an incomplete ending which will require furthur DLC to be purchased. A massive con. Simplistic controls (entire game consists of spacebar) are alsoDownloadable Content on release, outdated graphics from 2008, and extremely buggy gameplay where everyone in the future can turn their heads 180 degrees. Avoid this game. Not only does it charge extra for DLC on release day, it also contains an incomplete ending which will require furthur DLC to be purchased. A massive con. Simplistic controls (entire game consists of spacebar) are also among its many problems. Expand
  71. Mar 10, 2012
    Casey Hudson stated in an interview at the Consumer Electronics Show that Mass Effect 3 will complete the story arc of Commander Shepard, and will pull in over 1,000 variables from Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 to shape how players experience the final chapter. :-(
    my normal score 7/10 - whit end 0/10 - whit ME1 charackter error -2/10
  72. Mar 9, 2012
    After DA2 and SWTOR I expected the worst from this game, so I played it for a little while. ME1/2 had better dialogue, better camera angles, a much better starting sequence (ME2), better faces and facial animations, better sound effects, and just a better overall ambiance/atmosphere. What do we get with ME3? Pointless multiplayer, day 1 cash grab DLC, laughable animations and crappyAfter DA2 and SWTOR I expected the worst from this game, so I played it for a little while. ME1/2 had better dialogue, better camera angles, a much better starting sequence (ME2), better faces and facial animations, better sound effects, and just a better overall ambiance/atmosphere. What do we get with ME3? Pointless multiplayer, day 1 cash grab DLC, laughable animations and crappy dialogue. I'm glad I didn't pay for this low quality console garbage. Expand
  73. Mar 10, 2012
    Game is not good enough. In general, I think people need to meet a real game rather than requiring them extra on the first day, especially if the game does not give them the official response. Nevertheless, clear that this is a nice game but surprisingly Hhmhllach company that just makes the game a very low level. In addition to the plot lines in my opinion not enough interesting and IGame is not good enough. In general, I think people need to meet a real game rather than requiring them extra on the first day, especially if the game does not give them the official response. Nevertheless, clear that this is a nice game but surprisingly Hhmhllach company that just makes the game a very low level. In addition to the plot lines in my opinion not enough interesting and I think there are unnecessary scenes short in my opinion they did a really good job and I wish that the company will also Mass Effect 4 Expand
  74. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I do realize it will sound a bit strange but if you turn this game off 5 minutes before ending, I would give this game 80%(-20 for combat, they implemented wave system from dragon age 2) Game was thoroughly enjoyable, I even felt moved to the point of tears at certain point, but then came the ending, not only did it seem that developers just ran out of time to finish it, it didn't matter if you are paragon renegade, whatever choices you made you were simply put in front of three choices (bluntly ripped off from deus ex). And to add an insult to an injury all three are basically same just a different color show. With the number of plot holes making all endings confusing, I was mostly angered that it basically ruined the reason to play any three of the installments again, because it will end all the same anyway. Had the retirement house from pinnacle station? forget it. Freed rachni quee? doesnt matter. Romanced someone? Well aside from three f***s you got, that is it. Yeah you saved he galaxy, yeah you busted your hump for three years, but no, you cant get a break. I loved mass effect 1 and 2 but now I wont be able to play it again, because it is pointless. That is why I put only 3, because the ending was so bad that it effectively ruined three games Expand
  75. Mar 10, 2012
    The ending alone is so worthless it would make ANY game get a < 3.0 rating. But combine the ending (worst ending I've seen in a game in at least 3 years,) with the wasted potential in this game, and it actually feels like the devs were TRYING to make a **** game on purpose. Maybe to sell DLC later to fix it, who knows.
  76. Mar 12, 2012
    Horrible animations, story, and dialogue. Nice audio and voice acting. Watch ending from youtube and save your time.. this is not an RPG. If you like the Sims you might like this.
  77. Mar 12, 2012
    I loved this story so much, Bioware did more than drop a ball here. Heads should roll. They took everything that made the game special and just threw it in the trash. I started to worry about Bioware after DA2, but like so many others have said, ME was still undiminished. After so many hours of play, forgiving some HUGE bugs in the process, I was just too disappointed for words at theI loved this story so much, Bioware did more than drop a ball here. Heads should roll. They took everything that made the game special and just threw it in the trash. I started to worry about Bioware after DA2, but like so many others have said, ME was still undiminished. After so many hours of play, forgiving some HUGE bugs in the process, I was just too disappointed for words at the end. If they make an attempt to 'fix this' by offering DLC at an additional cost to players I will truly never spend another cent with their company, as it is they have lost my trust. No more Bioware pre-orders for this former fan. Expand
  78. Jun 29, 2012
    After the release i gave this game a score of 1 because in my feeling not only the end was rushed/ full of nonsense, most of the game was way behind the 1st and 2nd, and none of what they promised (i mean, the things that make good rpg, and that made the 2nd and especially the 1st very good and enjoyable games), none of theses promises were kept.
    So the end was the cherry on the cake.
    So the end was the cherry on the cake.
    After so much time and a so huge dlc (almost 2 gigs) they somewhat 'fixed' things, well, they think they did. Not for me, but i have to admit they did something.
    But that doesn't make of me3 a good game, just a less bad game (bad for the price and announcements, it would be amazing for a game 5 years in the past and 20
  79. Mar 17, 2012
    Nothing hurts more than to lose time, money, and personal investment when it comes to an ending five years in the making. Here's a short list of the ways I feel used by Bioware/EA.
    -My money means nothing to them. It does not matter how much I have spent on their project, but only that I could possibly spend more if tricked into thinking I'll get what I paid for.
    -The story was ignored
    -The story was ignored during a key portion of the game. The ending. Nothing that I could invest into the game would make the outcome any different. That is a kick to the face of every gamer alive. I did not buy a game to be told I should shut up and watch.
    -Shepard was the most human I had ever seen him. I loved how fragile my role was in the series and how much he relied on his team. When it mattered nobody who was fiercely loyal to him had his back. Apparently they all sought fit to run away when the galaxy needed them most. Does hope die with Shepard?
    -The theme is self sacrifice... self sacrifice... self sacrifice... etc etc etc but to push that theme onto the customer's wallet is freaking atrocious.
    -This list goes on just like DLC will be released for a dead franchise.

Although beating dead horses seldom brings them back to life I hope EA/Bioware will understand that this horse is being beaten because it deserved to be beaten. Nobody will forget it and it will live on in the minds of everyone who felt strongly about their experience. Let it serve as a warning that any great piece of art if put to pasture by an owner who only cares about money will watch the art die sickly and without love.
  80. Mar 18, 2012
    Dumbed down story with glaring plotholes that gets bigger as the game goes on. Saved by improved shooting mechanics. Uplifted by a few emotional + wow moments. Finally sank in the end due to the irrepairable logic and IDENTICAL ending cutscenes that invalidates all choices from ME1 onwards. Rest in Peace Bioware. I saw it coming since Dragon Age 2 came outâ
  81. Aug 30, 2012
    К сожалению это самая плохая часть серии. Везде чувствуетсяК сожалению это самая плохая часть серии. Везде чувствуется халтура. Окружающий мир мертв. Никаких событий вокруг при блуждании по цитадели не происходит. Инженер в доках прощается со своей девушкой практически на протяжении всей игры. И так далее. Так же намного меньше внимания уделено дизайну уровней. Ощущение что все слеплено на скорую руку. Второстепенные квесты тоже примитивны. С ностальгией вспоминаю вторую часть где можно было нарваться на драку просто идя по цитадели. Ну и концовка подкачала. Expand
  82. Mar 11, 2012
    Honestly, this game was an utter disappointment. It was going somewhat well (would have got maybe a 6-7 from me) up until the ending. The endings are so bad, so... well... completely out-of-place and unsatisfying, that it justifiably knocks 3-4 points off of it's entire score. Yes, there is fan outrage. And I think justifiably so. It is a short game, it ignores all of your decisionsHonestly, this game was an utter disappointment. It was going somewhat well (would have got maybe a 6-7 from me) up until the ending. The endings are so bad, so... well... completely out-of-place and unsatisfying, that it justifiably knocks 3-4 points off of it's entire score. Yes, there is fan outrage. And I think justifiably so. It is a short game, it ignores all of your decisions (uniting species that have been warring for hundreds, if not thousands of years); there is no reason to be a completionist in this game, it honestly isn't worth it.

Want to find out what happened with your LI's? Search youtube. Want to know how the series ends... search youtube. Want to buy the game? Don't bother, search youtube...

The most disappointing end to one of the best series that has come out in the past few years. My biggest regret is there are no returns for PC games.
  83. Mar 9, 2012
    Ending ruins the game for me. The game itself plays well but the ending is horrible, worst ending to a game I have played and ruins not just 3 but 1 and 2. Save yourself the cash and just stop at 2. Im a huge BW fanboy but they messed this one up BIG. Check out they're forums and see its not just a few of us.
  84. Mar 9, 2012
    Before ending 95/100
    After ending 0/100

No replay value whatsoever since I played these games for the actual story.

I would have been willing to wait longer and pay extra for a garanteed gem. Right now i feel like i wasted both money and time.
  85. Mar 9, 2012
    This is truly embarassing that I have to write this about a once amazing game developer. Mass Effect 3 is a shell of what it used too be. yes Mass Effect 1 had boring elevators and vast open areas with nothing there but it was a true RPG when you look at Mass Effect 3. STORY, gameplay, endings, multiple DLC it's sad that Bioware has become EA's slave.
  86. Mar 10, 2012
    EA/Bioware promised me a chance to an uplifting constructive result of clearing the game with minimum casualities through preparation and planning. I was led to believe something that was not delivered to me in the final product. I do not feel anything for a virtual character but I do enjoy building the character through 3 games of the series and get the results that I was led to believeEA/Bioware promised me a chance to an uplifting constructive result of clearing the game with minimum casualities through preparation and planning. I was led to believe something that was not delivered to me in the final product. I do not feel anything for a virtual character but I do enjoy building the character through 3 games of the series and get the results that I was led to believe possible. Had EA/Bioware advertised this series as a tragedy, I would not have bought the product. I will be selecting future products very very carefully from this company. I will not be buying any future EA/Bioware products as well as warn other consumers of this fraud. This game is simply destructive: it destroys your entire experience. Expand
  87. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved Mass Effect series. I played first and second game so many times. It was my favorite game series, I bought every possible DLC, even those **** "Appearence customizations", just to have the feeling I support BioWare in it's great work.

ME3 gameplay wasn't perfect, but it was really good. Seeing old crewmates, watch them dies in some cases, but I was OK with that. But then came that ending... Those ends really ruins everything. Not only feeling from a game, but from whole series. Why should I play those awsome games again, when everytime i get that awful end? Why should I stop Saren, defeat Collectors and trying to stop Reapers, when in the end, all galaxy is almost destroyed and technologicaly behind today's Earth?

Great job BioWare, you just killed the holly grail of all gamers.
  88. Mar 10, 2012
    In a world where every port i've ever played comes ready to go with gamepad accessibility ME3 didn't bother. They did bother to release PAY-FOR DLC right on the day of release which speaks volumes about whats happened to Bioware since they soldout to the publishing giant EA. No gamepad support? Fail.
  89. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First, this game promised so much as in terms of "FUN" that we, loyal fans following Shepard all the way and making sure HE/SHE STAYED ALIVE can only feel bad about the endings we got.
    But don't just take my word for it, see the other 900 people who came here only to share their sadness over this very poorly executed game.
    Shepard movements are confusing, you get rushed through the history, you see lots of characters who were really empathetic die for no reason, while others are left standing without you having an option.
    Some ME2 characters just had cameos, and the worst of all:
    THE ENDINGS. All the endings are crap, and don't make justice to one of the greatest games on history.
  90. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game delivers a lot of good moments and for a nutcase like me who spent far too much time on the first two games it felt very good to have my choices in those games revisited in ME3. Gameplay is smoother than ever, and the classes and their abilities show that they've polished an already great thing going on from ME2. Sound was great. Both the music and the environment is brimming with quality, and it takes your auditory senses and immerse them in this world. In general I would say that the game is perfect, and my emotional involvement with the story was made even deeper by the time the final act of the game was finishing up. So, with all this praise there is no big secret that the score reflects what comes next. The ending(s) where horrible. There was a moment of actual physical pain experiencing them, because I was so emotionally involved with the world they had invited me into. I shouldn't experience a feeling of betrayal from something like a fictional story in a game, but that's how I feel. Maybe my love for the game was too strong, I don't know, but the hurt is there and it's reflected in the score I give it. Expand
  91. Mar 14, 2012
    This is a quality title that is very much let down by a sub-par ending. My Example would be that it starts like the matrix and finishes almost the same as Matrix revolutions.

It is a great game let down by a incredibly weak ending which to me colors the game in a bad light especially since the company Bioware stated it would end differently. I expect lies from politicians not a video game company..
  92. May 31, 2012
    Disappointing and internal law breaking product, that lowers the plank raised by previous games. Uninteresting and not original waste of time and money.
  93. Jun 3, 2012
    Sigh, the ending was far to short and being paragon or renegade meant nothing in the end. The endings didn't reflect your play style. I didn't have any probs with the style of ending, the mist is one of the best ever and heaps of people vote it down furious over it but it still maintains a high ranking proof the movie was good.

It's quite funny, bioware have made the following since EA

It's quite funny, bioware have made the following since EA took over. mass effect 2 and 3 dumbed down, dragon age 2 the worst dumbed down rpg, SW the old republic complete junk. Oh well sell outs.
  94. Mar 30, 2012
    The gameplay on this was fantastic, and very similar to Mass Effect 2. However, none of the sidequests or final mission choices have any affect on the endings. Remember in ME2 if you didn't get that upgrade for the ship, it'd kill your engineers? Or how if you didn't send the right guys on the suicide mission, they would die? Yeah, none of that happens. It doesn't matter who you pick orThe gameplay on this was fantastic, and very similar to Mass Effect 2. However, none of the sidequests or final mission choices have any affect on the endings. Remember in ME2 if you didn't get that upgrade for the ship, it'd kill your engineers? Or how if you didn't send the right guys on the suicide mission, they would die? Yeah, none of that happens. It doesn't matter who you pick or what you do, the game ends the same 3 ways. Total Deus Ex: Human Revolution style copout. Gameplay was fun, ending was crap. Expand
  95. Mar 22, 2012
    I would give this game 9.0+ score, if Bioware did a proper ending.

Yes, the ending, the ultimate insult to Mass Effect series and the fan. To keep it spoiler free: your choice don't matter a single bit.
  96. Mar 15, 2012
    One of the greatest stories of all time, ruined by an ending that invalidates everything the player has accomplished through the span of all 3 games.

Does not matter one bit any choice or decision you made on your playthroughs leading up to the final chapter, your actions meant nothing because bad logic and space magic.
  97. Apr 4, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a great game for the most part, but is has some critical flaws that eliminate almost all the replay value of the entire series. The biggest problem is the ending which ruins the whole series for me and many other fans because of its low quality, inconsistencies, flawed logic, and clear indication that none of your choices ultimately matter much for a series that requiresMass Effect 3 is a great game for the most part, but is has some critical flaws that eliminate almost all the replay value of the entire series. The biggest problem is the ending which ruins the whole series for me and many other fans because of its low quality, inconsistencies, flawed logic, and clear indication that none of your choices ultimately matter much for a series that requires a minimum of 100 hours from part 1 to part 3, if you complete every quest and mission. The ending goes against one of the most fundamental features of the game series; BioWare continuously advertised the series as one where almost every choice matters. I'm a big fan of Mass Effect 1 and 2, with the exception of planet scanning in part 2; I hated that boring activity. I played through both games at least 5 times including all DLC. Now I feel I wasted hundreds of hours in those games to reach the disappointing conclusion in Mass Effect 3. It's sad to see how far BioWare has declined since they were purchased by EA in late 2007. How could such a wonderful series have deteriorated this much in 5 years?

I believe the problem is an ongoing issue caused by EA's budget priorities; too much money goes into their marketing of games and not enough to their development studios. Another problem was EA forcing BioWare to add multiplayer late in the development cycle. This took valuable resources from the development of the single player campaign and it shows from beginning to the end with choppy animations, limited character development, greatly reduced number of squad members, over simplified buggy user interface, sound card problems, lackluster quest journal, an excessive number of planet scanning fetch quests, a disappointingly generic final mission, and an unoriginal anticlimactic conclusion. Even the simple ability to holster your weapon when you don't need it was removed. Having to run around safe areas with only allies standing around while being forced point my gun at them is a major immersion killer for me. Also when you holstered your gun it was possible to better appreciate the beautiful and interesting environments in the game and see how cool your armor looks from every angle. A noticeable reduction in quality is the first thought that came to mind from the moment I started my first mission on Mass Effect 3, because of all these issues. The good news is that Mass Effect 3 has many shining moments of brilliance where everything comes together flawlessly. My two favorite parts were the awe inspiring missions in Tuchanka and Rannoch. I also enjoyed most of the conversation topics with Joker, EDI, Garrus, Liara, and Tali. Adding the ability to dodge and dive for cover as well as the melee combat and grabs took the gameplay to a whole new level of fun. I can't recall any other game, in the past 15 years that had so much potential and so utterly squandered it after building up dramatic tension to such an amazing level while getting so many things right across three installments. I purchased and completed all DLC for the trilogy; that is over $250 cash plus my emotional investment in the Mass Effect franchise. I paid $80 for the Mass Effect 3 Digital Deluxe Edition plus sales tax, my most expensive digital download since I started gaming 15 years ago, and it can't be returned for a refund through Origin. I don't feel Mass Effect 3 is a good deal, until at least some of its significant problems are fixed.

Fortunately, BioWare has promised to investigate issues being reported to them as constructive criticism; I hope they fix the major problems with Mass Effect 3 so I can enjoy this series again.

I've read rumors that EA plans to charge for fixing the problems with Mass Effect 3; if they planned to charge extra for a better conclusion to a beloved franchise, it would be a new low in the history of gaming. New DLC should only be sold if isn't directly related to fixing the ending.

To illustrate the problem compare this:

To this:

Because of the discrepancies between Mass Effect 3 and what was advertised by EA, at least one fan has filed a formal complaint with the US Federal Trade Commission. That is unfortunate, but it shows a level of dissatisfaction with a top rated game that I haven't seen before.

I love Mass Effect and want it to be remembered in the best possible way. I want it to have replay value as a complete series, because it is the best science fiction interactive entertainment series in the market. There is nothing wrong with improving a product. BioWare doesn't owe it to fans to change Mass Effect 3; they owe it to themselves, after all the hard work they have put in to the series.
  98. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. BAD endings destroyed the game and the whole series. GREAT GRAPHIC, MUSIC AND GAMEPLAY. 95% of the game is interesting. it was so great that you felt even worse when you got through the ending. Expand
  99. Mar 19, 2012