Mass Effect 3 PC

5.6

1. Aug 24, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an amazing game. Unlike popular opinion. The only gripe i have is of course the ending, purely because it's slightly behind par compared to the endings of other bioware games. But for me I view the game as a series of endings that tie off all the loose threads throughout the series. Which is something most people seem to have difficulty understanding. The gameplay isMass Effect 3 is an amazing game. Unlike popular opinion. The only gripe i have is of course the ending, purely because it's slightly behind par compared to the endings of other bioware games. But for me I view the game as a series of endings that tie off all the loose threads throughout the series. Which is something most people seem to have difficulty understanding. The gameplay is thoroughly enjoyable and the visual's are usually pretty good as well. Even the multiplayer is surprisingly great. One of the few multiplayers of recent games that I've enjoyed. Expand
  2. Aug 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A terrible ending, your choices from ME1 and ME2 doesn't have any impact. The game feels rushed, the story doesn't add up at all. Too many plot holes, terrible quest system, lack of dialog choices. Most of the time your Shepard will speak on his/her own. Compared to the previous games ME3 is much more linear and depth less. Expand
  3. Aug 22, 2012
    The Mass Effect series contains some of the best character writing in video games, period. You will never feel so close to and feel so deeply about NPCs in any other game. The hatred expressed on this site is a kind of perverse testament to that---people cared so deeply about the game that they are willing to troll because the ending hurt their feelings. But do not make the same mistake:The Mass Effect series contains some of the best character writing in video games, period. You will never feel so close to and feel so deeply about NPCs in any other game. The hatred expressed on this site is a kind of perverse testament to that---people cared so deeply about the game that they are willing to troll because the ending hurt their feelings. But do not make the same mistake: the ending will make you sad and maybe angry, not because of bad writing, but because it is so unconventional and involves so much loss.

The number of onboard conversations with the crew has exploded since ME2, and I would say the dialogues are the best of the series, save except for the amazing Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC for ME2, whose excellence was not topped in ME3. There were a few too many corny references to famous lines from ME2 such as "calibrations" and "definitely worth it" that slowed down the dialogue at times.

The gameplay is a slight tweak and improvement on the ME2 experience. I would say that I am about done with the ME style of gameplay---spamming singularity+warp combinations has definitely gotten too old by the end of the game. There is much gnashing of teeth in the endgame on Insanity, but well worth it.

Well done, Bioware---I hope that you keep true to yourself and don't bend too much to the rage expressed here and elsewhere.
  4. Aug 22, 2012
    Just goes to show how procrastination never pays off most of the time, Fun fact, did you know that the endings to this game were made in 2 hours? Not surprised? Me neither. It's like a kid who made a great science project, but wrote his presentation in 5 minutes. The game itself is great, aside from a few bugs, but the ending is just so **** atrocious, so offensive, that I never picked upJust goes to show how procrastination never pays off most of the time, Fun fact, did you know that the endings to this game were made in 2 hours? Not surprised? Me neither. It's like a kid who made a great science project, but wrote his presentation in 5 minutes. The game itself is great, aside from a few bugs, but the ending is just so **** atrocious, so offensive, that I never picked up this game again after I beat it the first time, and this is coming from a guy who beat mass effect 2 5 times (I counted). Even the extended cut doesn't do anything, it just adds a few minutes of footage to the ending, whereas bioware squandered the opportunity to fix their **** up by doing something like the indoctrination theory. Sorry, bioware, but your pretty much dead to me now after this. Expand
  5. Aug 21, 2012
    First off the multiplayer is fun, totally enjoyed my time on that even if it is rather limited. Secondly, I have to put the boot in over the single-player part. Its a shame cause its obvious so many people have put such hard work into it. The graphics, programming and overall story arc are fine but let down so fundamentally by the dialogue writers. Half the time I wasn't sure what the hellFirst off the multiplayer is fun, totally enjoyed my time on that even if it is rather limited. Secondly, I have to put the boot in over the single-player part. Its a shame cause its obvious so many people have put such hard work into it. The graphics, programming and overall story arc are fine but let down so fundamentally by the dialogue writers. Half the time I wasn't sure what the hell was supposed to be going on, or why x character had just been bumped off in seemingly quick and nonsensical fashion - I began to find it all rather funny waiting to see who'd get the chop next and how cheap and quickly it could be done. The ending isn't the problem really the whole single player game is poorly designed - the lack of choice, the overly long cut-scenes which the player has no input into, the lack of interesting side missions... fixing the endings won't help this game it needs to be re-booted (we get so many film re-boots, why not game ones?) preferably bring back Drew Karpyshyn too. I loved the first two games but felt compelled to finish this one only cause I had payed money for it, the single player game is that inconsistent and low quality. I rate the game as a five only for the multiplayer content and the hard work put into it by the development team (aside from the writers who seemingly didn't feel they had to trouble themselves too much). I don't blame EA for this, not too fond of origin but at least I got some money's worth out of the multiplay. This mess is totally on Bioware and the first game of theirs i've played were the story was the worst thing about it (aside from DA2 which I missed as it looked so pathetic). Expand
  6. Aug 20, 2012
    I would not recommend anyone who has played ME1. and ME2. The players own version of what will happen in this game is far superior to the content you will see. If you want to keep your sanity and your warm memories of the Mass effect story, do not get this game regardless how much money EA paid the big site reviewers.
  7. Aug 20, 2012
    I give this game 6 only because ME2 had 10. It's not a bad game. It's pretty nice game. But TBH it's at least half worse than ME2 so cannot give more points.

Worst thing about it is that they spoiled all good things they improoved from ME1 to ME2. Starting with map system, shooting, character improvements, ... It's really pitty ME ended with game like that. Could be awesome!
  8. Aug 20, 2012
    The length of the game is acceptable. The graphics quality is poor. Including aliasing and lack of realism and no way for high end pc's to significantly adjust for it (likely because of monetary greed with no other focus in mind). The game play quality has been reduced from previous releases (likely because of monetary greed with no other focus in mind). For instance planet scanningThe length of the game is acceptable. The graphics quality is poor. Including aliasing and lack of realism and no way for high end pc's to significantly adjust for it (likely because of monetary greed with no other focus in mind). The game play quality has been reduced from previous releases (likely because of monetary greed with no other focus in mind). For instance planet scanning has been all but removed. When you find a planet that can be scanned any items from the planet are recovered with probes only. You never actually fight for the scanned items you simply live or die. Living through it is quite easy to do. A lot of adventure was removed from the game because of this. I thought it felt like an easter egg hunt in a big hotel, all the rooms are identical and so are the eggs. The eggs are just hidden in different places in each room. This game is not an RPG it is an action game with a sprinkle of role play. I thought the ending fit in well with the rest of the game. I didn't like the ending or dislike it. I'm glad I didn't pay release day price for this game. These days those of us PC gamers really have to be cautious of paying release day price. I've found that the pain of disappointment is significantly reduced by waiting for price drops. Still I probably should've waited a bit longer. Expand
  9. Aug 19, 2012
    The perfect closure to one of the best game trilogies ever. I guess I was lucky enough to complete the game after the extended edition came out. But regardless, I don't see why multiple users would trash the game simply because of the ending.
  10. Aug 18, 2012
    I really enjoy this game and have started and done multiple playthroughs. The one big minus is the ending. It's not a bad ending, but it's simply not as good as the rest of the game, so that does make it feel like an anti-climax. But apart from those final five minutes, I always had a hard time turning off the monitor to go to work, because I was constantly pumped, wanting to see what wasI really enjoy this game and have started and done multiple playthroughs. The one big minus is the ending. It's not a bad ending, but it's simply not as good as the rest of the game, so that does make it feel like an anti-climax. But apart from those final five minutes, I always had a hard time turning off the monitor to go to work, because I was constantly pumped, wanting to see what was next. Yes, it does feel that good while playing. Just those last minutes leave you with a feeling of "That's it?!"

Mind you, the free Extended Cut DLC did make the ending slightly better, and I can't wait to see what the upcoming Leviathan DLC brings. I don't expect it to be as good as the Shadowbroker DLC from ME2, that would be expecting too much, but I certainly expect it to come close to the Kasumi DLC in quality.
  11. Aug 17, 2012
    I really liked this game and the whole series. The game play was similar if not the same as mass effect 2.
    The only thing that upset me was massive plot holes in the ending and the lack of user input to customize the ending. I liked the story line and dialogue, it was all great. I don't know why people are giving it a 0 .. or anything lower than 5.. If the ending was more powerful with a lot more effort, this would be an easy 9 or 10.
  12. Aug 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 is an outstanding game, worthy of Game of the Year. Story is excellent. Combat is very fluid. As for the ending, it's absolutely mind blowing. Although you might have to play the first two games in order to understand it. Not to mention read some of the codex entries, video logs, and other things found throughout the series. Your e-mail also may have some hints. At any rate, the ending may seem a bit off, because it's a dream or hallucination. Or as I like to put it an indoctrination induced nightmare. Given all the evidence provided to you during the course of the trilogy, it makes sense. However you need to look for it, whether that's out on missions or even in your codex (for each game)

Some other things to note with the game. Now some people said there was a lack of side quests where you'd go exploring planets and such. The way I saw this personally, is that if I was to waste half the game doing side missions on planets, that's several trillion lives I could have saved. The Reapers aren't just some synthetic bad guy. They are billions of years more advanced than we are. It'd be like an ant taking on a giant. That is the kind of enemy you're dealing with. Some people were expecting this to be some sort of kick the Reapers into the black hole where they came from and ride off into the sunset. The ending we received is very fitting, given who the Reapers are. Galaxy in shambles, but gives hope to rebuild everything is a perfect way to end it. I'm personally not big on an ending where everyone lives happily ever after. Bioware tried to do something a little different. There was mention that you didn't get some of your old squadmates to fight with you. You didn't actually have them in your squad, but each of them had their own side mission, so it's kind of the same thing. Not to mention, they will join you when it comes to retake Earth.

As for war assets not affecting the ending, I did notice some war assets that were used, however, they weren't on Earth. For example the war asset named "Armali Sniper Unit" is only available for Thessia, and you can actually see the snipers in the game. Just an example. The war assets aren't just for Earth. You're also getting them to defend the other planets in the galaxy as well. At any rate, Mass Effect 3 is a must play for anyone looking for intense action, as well as emotional story telling. It's one of the greatest sci-fi masterpieces ever created.
  13. Aug 12, 2012
    Gave it a 10 to *try* to balance the score out. Is that the correct and honest thing to do? Probably not, but ME3, especially after the ending DLC doesn't deserve a 4.3 user score, imo, a 7 or 8 would probably be more appropriate.

Just my opinion, no need to go spreading it around... :P
  14. Aug 12, 2012
    One of the most exciting titles of this year, I thoroughly enjoyed every single minute of this game, and I simply DO NOT understand why so many people hated it and reviewed it badly. I guess it's just the "first one didn't like it, lets all spit on the game for no reason". Sure, the ending wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but seriously, rating an epic game like this so lowly?
    I recommend
    I recommend this game to all fans of the Mass Effect trilogy, as a great conclusion to the previous two games.
  15. Aug 9, 2012
    Worst Ending Ever!

No Gamepad support!

Minimal RPG elements!

Low quality rendered cutscenes! Where are those photo-realistic CGIs???

EA Origin!

Enough said.

Terribly disappointed.
  16. Aug 9, 2012
    I think it's absorlutly unfair, to give Mass Effect 3 a score under seven, simply based on the ending. Mass Effect 3 is like the other games in the series, an amazing game! Everything that leads up to the ending, is superb, every mission is fantastik, the graphics is fantastik, the characters, the environments, just superb. The ending was patched up by the extendet cut DLC, but yes .. itsI think it's absorlutly unfair, to give Mass Effect 3 a score under seven, simply based on the ending. Mass Effect 3 is like the other games in the series, an amazing game! Everything that leads up to the ending, is superb, every mission is fantastik, the graphics is fantastik, the characters, the environments, just superb. The ending was patched up by the extendet cut DLC, but yes .. its still not as great as i would have liked, but its definitely acceptable now. The multiplayer is also pretty good. I personatlly play Mass Effect for the single-player, but the multiplayer is a nice feature when you have completed the game, and just need some more Mass Effect.
    All in all, Mass effect 3 is a great game, which is absorlutly worth buying.
  17. Aug 6, 2012
    There are a few honest reviews on here who are not trolling bioware for the ending of ME3. Heres my honest opinion. Mass effect 2 was a terrific game, it had great progression, great squad missions and an amazing long ending all leading to a pretty great boss fight. One of the best games Ive ever played. Mass effect 3 brought some terrific editions to the series, the best of which isThere are a few honest reviews on here who are not trolling bioware for the ending of ME3. Heres my honest opinion. Mass effect 2 was a terrific game, it had great progression, great squad missions and an amazing long ending all leading to a pretty great boss fight. One of the best games Ive ever played. Mass effect 3 brought some terrific editions to the series, the best of which is the mutiplayer. That aspect alone gives the game much more credibility but if you just into single player than your still in for a great game but not as great as ME2 but a long shot. The intro is epic, the art is amazing, the music is great, and its optimized so well it runs at an incredibly smooth framerate at 5760 x 1080 resolution which says a lot. The immersion was great during the midgame, missions are very fun and well thought out, the voice acting is great and beleivable, the characters make you care about the universe and saving it so all they needed to do was wrap up this great series with an equally great ending which isnt easy but weve come to expect it. Without spoiling the ending, it had one great moment that I loved and the rest of it fell very short. Nothing at all connected to the player from their choices and it feels very lazy and very non unique to me and left a sort of dissapointment in the end. Despite that though, it was a great experience and the multiplayer ahs kept me coming back fro more for almost 50 hours now. On top of that Bioware has been giving FREE updates with maps, characters, and weapons and they released a better ending for FREE. All this equates to a fair 8.5 or so but ill round up to a 9. Expand
  18. Aug 5, 2012
    EA HAVE BOUGHT BIOWARE = BEGINNING OF THE END OF EXCELENT GAMES Too sad for me heard that bioware, "one of the best",is now in the hand of the money eater, you can cleary see this line of influence in simple things :
    ===ME1 before EA === 1- Exploration on every planet, searching for stuff 2- Buy armor for each member and race! in the market, and cool wepons. 3-Variety of skill points to add. 4-You can run- walk-kneel- change combat to pasive mode. 5-Good side quests ===ME2 Now EA=== 1-No more exploration "boring probes" 2-Can't change or buy armor for the teammates "empty markets?" 3-Skills "simplified" 4-No more Kneel, just run-walk-change combat to pasive mode. 5-Have side quests ===ME3 Now EA=== 1-All exploration is reduced to this arcade style flight the damm ship and right click 2-Items? Recicled armor from ME2, and yeah fish and spaceship to fill the empty shops. 3-Skills improved, true. 4-No more kneel or walk mode, just run yesss and shoot a horde of monsters, for every meter you make. 5-Side quests? What the hell is what they made in ME3.

CONCLUSION: You can see this in simple things, Moving to the garbage game line step by step, and in the next game, just 1 teammate and 1 weapon, and then release 10 DLC For characters and items.
  19. Aug 5, 2012
    As a huge fan of previous games, especially Mass Effect 2, to say that I am disappointed would be a serious understatement. The ending of Mass Effect 3 is not only the conclusion for this game, it's for the entire franchise, so for it to be like this is an insult to the fans. But to forget about the ending for a second, and look at the entire product, it's not at all brilliant. Combat isAs a huge fan of previous games, especially Mass Effect 2, to say that I am disappointed would be a serious understatement. The ending of Mass Effect 3 is not only the conclusion for this game, it's for the entire franchise, so for it to be like this is an insult to the fans. But to forget about the ending for a second, and look at the entire product, it's not at all brilliant. Combat is faster and yes you can now climb. roll, etc. but it just feels awkward, especially on the pc version, where one button for all makes your head explode. Tons of auto dialogue, many of the previous choices don't matter at all, it's like you didn't have any choice in the previous games, side quests are not side quests, they are fetch quests, extremely boring and idiotic, and to make matters worse, journal is a complete mess, there is no information about any of the quests, have you collected anything, is it 75% complete, no, so you better prepare piece of paper and a pen and get working. Unacceptable, the entire game. I will give it 4/10 because there are still great moments because of the surrounding characters, but all in all, they should just forget about making this and start anew. Expand
  20. Aug 4, 2012
    Many people rate this game under 4 because of it's ending. Well, to be honest it had way more problems than the ending alone. The running animations were really bad (especially Anderson's) , there were loads of auto-dialogue which is not acceptable for a game like Mass Effect where dialogue is a gameplay mechanic, wasted potential for characters ( see: Liara as the Shadow Broker) andMany people rate this game under 4 because of it's ending. Well, to be honest it had way more problems than the ending alone. The running animations were really bad (especially Anderson's) , there were loads of auto-dialogue which is not acceptable for a game like Mass Effect where dialogue is a gameplay mechanic, wasted potential for characters ( see: Liara as the Shadow Broker) and killing characters for no reason (see: Legion). Also, the sidequests (or lack thereof). The game had very little sidequests that involved actual gameplay, 75% of the sidequests being fetchquests. Then comes the horrible lore breaking ending. Even with the Extended Cut DLC it still is one of the worst endings to a trilogy I've ever seen. It also has little to no replayability and is extremely linear. Talking about replayability it also destroys the replayability of the other 2 games aswell, seeing as the ending doesn't show the consequences of your choices. The only good part about this game is it's combat, return of weapon mods and actual skill trees. Therefore I rate this game a 5/10. Expand
  21. Aug 3, 2012
    Most people may concentrate on the ending, but there is so much more that this game got wrong, especially when comparing it with previous releases in the series. The writing in many parts of the game was absolutely terrible, and Shepard did not feel like Shepard in many scenes. The overusage of memes from previous games was cheesy, out of place, and down right irritating. TheMost people may concentrate on the ending, but there is so much more that this game got wrong, especially when comparing it with previous releases in the series. The writing in many parts of the game was absolutely terrible, and Shepard did not feel like Shepard in many scenes. The overusage of memes from previous games was cheesy, out of place, and down right irritating. The journal/quest system, which they nailed in the first and second games, is an absolute mess in Mass Effect 3. The people responsible for the new journal system in 3 should be shot in the face for their incompetence, when they had 2 examples to build off of in the previous games. The ending, even with the Extended Cut, is still very unsatisfying and breaks the flow of the entire trilogy.

I will give it props on its combat system, which is an improvement over Mass Effect 2's system. Personally though, I would have preferred it to stay more like Mass Effect 1, since these games were intended to be rpgs and not shooters.

Although the writing sucked most of the time, there were indeed some memorable moments and decent scenes. Overall, this game just needed more work. The game seemed rushed, and is not a typical Bioware release because the quality just isn't there. It's really disappointing to see this happen to such a great franchise and developer. Since DA2, Bioware just can't seem to do it anymore. First DA2, then SWTOR, and now ME3. Bioware is a developer to stay away from in the future as their quality has severely diminished, and I am sure this is largely due to EA's influence.

If you have never played the Mass Effect series before, I would recommend staying away from it, as you are in for some disappoint in the 3rd installment. The first 2 are great games, but you will want to play this one too, which will ruin everything for you.
  22. Aug 1, 2012
    I gave the low score to this game because it is not a quality game, it is just a cheap knock off mash up of RPG and 3rd person shooter. Ending story was good except you didn't have any choice, but why complaint, the choice was always just an illusion in this game. You choose something, watch different cinematic and then the game just goes on through the same small linear levels with theI gave the low score to this game because it is not a quality game, it is just a cheap knock off mash up of RPG and 3rd person shooter. Ending story was good except you didn't have any choice, but why complaint, the choice was always just an illusion in this game. You choose something, watch different cinematic and then the game just goes on through the same small linear levels with the repeating boring enemies. There is nothing epic about this game. Mass Effect 3 is just an outdated game with super claustrophobic linear level design with one very very small quest hub called Citadel. There is not much to explore and if you do you just rewarded with missions to defend from the waves of enemies. It is not a triple AAA title if you measure it based on the gameplay, Mass Effect 3 world feels dead and empty, this is a below average game except for a few dialogs. And I bet if it wasn't for Bioware brand on the box it would receive critic average score of 3 out 10 here on metacritic. Next time I will only buy Bioware game if it will receive 800 out of 10 here on metacritic. Expand
  23. Aug 1, 2012
    Very good game, but not as good as ME2. First off, it is even more simplified so it is not even a RPG anymore. Second, the searching for resources is dull. The graphics is merely average. There are much less NPCs to interact with and take on missions. The ending is dissapointing, even after the Directors Cut DLC. Where Me3 shines is general gameplay - the fights are very emotional, fastVery good game, but not as good as ME2. First off, it is even more simplified so it is not even a RPG anymore. Second, the searching for resources is dull. The graphics is merely average. There are much less NPCs to interact with and take on missions. The ending is dissapointing, even after the Directors Cut DLC. Where Me3 shines is general gameplay - the fights are very emotional, fast paced and offer a lot of ways to dispatch enemies. It feels like a movie - you interact with many things but you rarely have influence on anything. I`d rather call it an extended First Person Shooter. Nevertheless the multiplayer is very addicting with new stuff coming every few months. Overall the game is satisfying with some of the above average features. Solid title. Expand
  24. Jul 31, 2012
    Ending killed it, completely, 1000% nuked it to jesus's 8th coming, killed it. The good: Combat, i actually enjoyed the combat alot, the cover system is well done and you had to use it for some quests which is great. Melee, who doesn't love a sexy holographic fistweapon to pwn your foe? Customizing my guns, sure it feels like it is taken from BF3,but it still made me able to design myEnding killed it, completely, 1000% nuked it to jesus's 8th coming, killed it. The good: Combat, i actually enjoyed the combat alot, the cover system is well done and you had to use it for some quests which is great. Melee, who doesn't love a sexy holographic fistweapon to pwn your foe? Customizing my guns, sure it feels like it is taken from BF3,but it still made me able to design my weapon to my playstyle (one of the guns you get at the end, one that has a large clip, if not for the recoil reducing addon would be left in my closest). The Bad: Ending, horse is beaten enough, but the ending just sucked. Great, 3 different colors, and for some reason all the relays are blown up although only one of the options was supposed to destroy em (i believe). And your crew on earth magically appeared on the ship, and for some reason Joker wasn't on planet earth, wtf? Story, i honestly felt 0 connection. ME1 I wanted to kill sarin, I was sad that i had to let my crew mate die back there (i forgot his name). ME2, Collectors must die! killed by crew, blew up my old ship, destroyed my relatinonship with Ashley. Must die! Harbinger was a pain as well, i really wanted to stick it to him. And the ending was influenced by how well you maintained realtionships with your crew. Mass Effect 3 had none of that. your standing with the crew doesn't matter, **** got removed, who comes with you on the final mission is also pointless. All your decisions are meaningless in the end. So, would i recommend it? Yeah sure, if you want to play the game and just kill some time, but other than that, i would not. Worst 60 dollars i have ever spent. Expand
  25. Jul 31, 2012
    Amazing game! Amazing trilogy! This is story driven game and good one where you choose what is going to happen. This game have epic moments, characters, voice acting, music and more. Many people hates ME3 ending but I think that it aint that bad. Specially the extended cut dlc makes the ending way way MUCH better. It is great ending to the trilogy. One of the best game trilogys
  26. Jul 29, 2012
    Oh my god. No spoilers here. If I explain why this game is PERFECT (even pre-EC) I will ruin the experience for you. Just believe me when I say the gameplay is somewhere between ME1 & ME2. The missions and excitement leading up the end for this trilogy are a lot of fun. The multiplayer works, you don't have to play it, but it is better than I expected. The singleplayer is 10/10 ignoringOh my god. No spoilers here. If I explain why this game is PERFECT (even pre-EC) I will ruin the experience for you. Just believe me when I say the gameplay is somewhere between ME1 & ME2. The missions and excitement leading up the end for this trilogy are a lot of fun. The multiplayer works, you don't have to play it, but it is better than I expected. The singleplayer is 10/10 ignoring the MP. The ending made me cry and you got me Bioware, oh how you got me good! You actually made me stop hating you after DAII (oh I'll just pretend like that game doesn't exist). I finally bothered to play this game and I should have done sooner. Somehow avoided all spoilers and I am SO glad that I did. The reason why this game gets a 10/10 and not an 8 or 9 is because the ending is perfection. People complaining about it were not paying attention! Seriously, pure genious! Shutup and take my money! Expand
  27. Jul 28, 2012
    besides the much complained about ending ME3 lacks a lot of good rpg gameplay that ME2 did have. In ME3 there are too many cutscenjes although the graphics are awesome. Another miss is that you cannot see if you have completed your quest correctly. This is only possible when you search for the person who gave you the quest.That and many more little off things make this a pale releasebesides the much complained about ending ME3 lacks a lot of good rpg gameplay that ME2 did have. In ME3 there are too many cutscenjes although the graphics are awesome. Another miss is that you cannot see if you have completed your quest correctly. This is only possible when you search for the person who gave you the quest.That and many more little off things make this a pale release when compared to it's predecessor who was already receievd as an alltime classic but maybe part 3 stole that status from it again... Expand
  28. Jul 28, 2012
    This has been a love hate purchase for me.
    * The story is good, although not the Epic everyone raves about.
    * The controversial ending is not as good as it could have been, but not as terrible as hyped * The combat experience is great! Leveling character kits from experience is a fun mechanic * Graphics aren't that great for this day and age * Lip syncing with dialog is horrible.
    This has been a love hate purchase for me.
    * The story is good, although not the Epic everyone raves about.
    * Graphics aren't that great for this day and age
    * Lip syncing with dialog is horrible. They shouldn't have even bothered if this is what they came up with.

My primary problems are around game stability:
    * I played this on the PC. I suspect console gaming is more stable.
    * The cover system is awful. They chose to use the same button for running and going into cover which means you spend about 10% of combat fighting the game itself to get into cover when you want to, or out of cover when you didn't want to, because you ran too close to a corner and it thought you wanted to go into cover.
    * If an enemy comes up behind you while in cover, good luck getting out of cover to run/melee. You can't melee from cover.
    * Waiting - You get to wait at least 30 seconds after pressing any key for the intro when the game starts, till you get the main menu, because the game insists on connecting to EA's servers then validating your DLC. Why couldn't this happen either quicker, or start during the intro? And why is this even necessary if I'm playing single player campaign.
    * Multi-player - This is really the part I like most of the game because it is pure combat. However:
    * The match making system is SLOW and flaky. You spend a lot of time waiting for the servers to place you with a group of other people. Very often I cancel and retry and it gets right in.
    * If you get sick of waiting for the Quick match to add you to an existing lobby/game, you can create your own, but plan on waiting at least 5 minutes for anyone to appear in your lobby. More waiting.
    * Once you get into a multi-player game About 1 in 10 games will have some type of syncing issue with the servers or peers. You'll shoot at enemies that are stuck pumping ammo int an enemy with out it's health meter changing, and then they magically appear next to you and kill you.
    * About 1 in 10 games ends with an enemy stuck in a wall or 20 feet off a ledge off the edge of the map, so you better hope someone has an area of effect weapon like a grenade to kill it or your stuck ending the match. * Experience and game $ is only awarded at the end of an 11 wave match. This makes some sense because you don't want people being flaky and jumping in and out and messing with the team continuity. But when the game goes nuts, and you get dropped or quit because there is no other option, you get nothing.
    * You get to the end of a multi-player game and there is an awesome stats screen to see how you did. But the guy that hosted the game decided he is done and leaves, so you don't get to review your stats anymore.
    * About 1 in 20 in game purchases will lock up during the transaction. Purchases are made from either real cash through bio ware points( I've never done it, and won't) or game $ you earn from matches. About 50% of the time, after you restart the game from the lock up, you see the pack that you purchased during the previous crash.
    * For a while, I couldn't launch the game till online research uncovered that I had to start Origin (EA's required digital distribution system) in Admin mode.

I really wish this game were more stable, so I could enjoy it more Fortunately, I got it on sale 50% off, so I don't feel too hosed by EA and BioWare.
  29. Jul 28, 2012
    The Mass Effect trilogy is just amazing and Mass Effect 3 is one of my favorite games ever. It shines in every single aspect but one: the ending. Sadly, this outstanding game was slightly ruined by an inconsistent ending. Anyways, the whole experience is really great, and everyone should give it a try.
  30. Jul 24, 2012
    I really enjoyed this game up until the very end: the last 10 minutes or so were tedious and confusing, and the standard ending leaves you feeling very unfulfilled after all the time you've put into making tough choices and developing relationships with characters. Hopefully the extended edition will fix this problem. For most of the game however, I was happily immersed in the Mass EffectI really enjoyed this game up until the very end: the last 10 minutes or so were tedious and confusing, and the standard ending leaves you feeling very unfulfilled after all the time you've put into making tough choices and developing relationships with characters. Hopefully the extended edition will fix this problem. For most of the game however, I was happily immersed in the Mass Effect universe, and appreciated the epic scale of this final installment. ME3 seems to have backed away from ME2's simplistic upgrade system and re-introduces different weapon models and mods to allow you to customize your arsenal. I felt that it was a fair compromise between the unwieldy inventory of ME1 and the boring linear upgrades of ME2. While this game does have its share of flaws (lack of exploration, few side-quests, and the usual plot holes), it is a good game overall and well worth playing. Expand
  31. Jul 24, 2012
    the removal of neutral dialogue options was a huge disappointment for me, as I enjoy playing these games as a mixed paragon/renegade as opposed to going 100% for one or the other. What I loved about the previous games was that you could go full renegade, get an ending that was totally suited to your decisions, and it was a perfectly acceptable way to play. Being renegade wasn't "bad", itthe removal of neutral dialogue options was a huge disappointment for me, as I enjoy playing these games as a mixed paragon/renegade as opposed to going 100% for one or the other. What I loved about the previous games was that you could go full renegade, get an ending that was totally suited to your decisions, and it was a perfectly acceptable way to play. Being renegade wasn't "bad", it was just a different way to get things done. Neutral and paragon were simply other, equally viable ways to finish a game and experience it differently.

But in mass effect 3, that all changes. Renegade becomes very much an option that the developers punish you for choosing, while paragon becomes the obvious "correct choice" option, and neither of the better outcomes to major situations are available if you mix paragon and renegade. You will also be punished for playing the game as a neutral character; you either go 100% renegade or 100% paragon.

But in the end all of that is meaningless, because no matter what paths you chose earlier in the game, you will be shunted into the same 3 choices of endings
  32. Jul 23, 2012
    A great finish to a great story. This is indeed a series worth playing through from top-to-bottom. It's pathetic, truly pathetic, that this game has gotten such a low user score here at Metacritc. Seeing Mass Effect 3 in the "4" point range is enough to make anybody who has played and enjoyed the game as thoroughly as most people have avoid places like Metacritic for informationA great finish to a great story. This is indeed a series worth playing through from top-to-bottom. It's pathetic, truly pathetic, that this game has gotten such a low user score here at Metacritc. Seeing Mass Effect 3 in the "4" point range is enough to make anybody who has played and enjoyed the game as thoroughly as most people have avoid places like Metacritic for information altogether. Games get "4'"s because they were rushed, crappy, or broken, and ME3 is none of these. It is a solid conclusion to a remarkable and already classic series of games. A definite videogame highlight of 2011. If you've never played the series at all, start with part 1 and move your way on through. This is good sci-fi in a big-budget, impeccably-crafted RPG game. Expand
  33. Jul 23, 2012
    i enjoy the game especially if you upload save game from ME2... maybe the original ending doesn't give much closure, the free extended cut DLC in other hand give much more satisfying ending... ill give an 7/10 but with the extended cut DLC ill give 9/10...
  34. Jul 22, 2012
    They ruined the whole goddamn series.

How many countless hours it took playing through ME 1 and 2 probably 4 or 5 times each, and after playing ME 3 to the end I haven't touched any of them in months.
  35. Jul 21, 2012
    I don't understand all the criticism. To hell with all the mistakes in the game, the STORY IS AMAZING. It deserves to be honored as one of the best Sci-fi stories out there. I definitely recommend every body and soul to play through this Trilogy. You won't regret it. I give the game 7 points because there is several faults, and i give the story a 10, because it is just an epic story that iI don't understand all the criticism. To hell with all the mistakes in the game, the STORY IS AMAZING. It deserves to be honored as one of the best Sci-fi stories out there. I definitely recommend every body and soul to play through this Trilogy. You won't regret it. I give the game 7 points because there is several faults, and i give the story a 10, because it is just an epic story that i think everybody has to experience. I'm so sad to see that much criticism from the users, but ey, who cares, what matters is your own feeling :) Enjoy a truly fantastic story. Expand
  36. Jul 21, 2012
    Just finished the Game with the Extended Cut, then compared it on Youtube with the original ending. I can see why many people didn't like the ending, there really are a few too many things left open in the original ending. The Extended Cut is therefore a nice addition to give players more closure. However, I have to say, that this is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played andJust finished the Game with the Extended Cut, then compared it on Youtube with the original ending. I can see why many people didn't like the ending, there really are a few too many things left open in the original ending. The Extended Cut is therefore a nice addition to give players more closure. However, I have to say, that this is one of the most beautiful games I've ever played and definitely does not deserve the criticism it got about it's ending. I personally loved all the endings, even though I only chose the bad ending to see what it was like, normally I wouldn't choose it. This game is an amazing and perfect conclusion to the Mass Effect Trilogy and true fans will love it like I did. Mass Effect 1 had the most epic ending, Mass Effect 2 was the most epic game overall and Mass Effect 3 was the most beautiful of them all. Also, since it mainly used music from the first and second game and didn't show that many more additional good soundtracks (apart from the beginning and the end of the game) I give this game a 9 out of 10. Well done Bioware and thank you! Expand
  37. Jul 20, 2012
    oh god oh god it's so **** bad why why why was this made please god end the suffering end it all **** me bioware, what happened to you babys, rest in peace
  38. Jul 19, 2012
    After all that build up of epic choices with people dying and the Illusive Man fighting with Shepard and Anderson and then.... no end boss.... empty promises broken.... Was this really what you wanted to do with one of the best franchises of all time? Is this really your ending to Mass Effect Bioware? And with this "extended cut" dlc is just more **** taped onto the ending... With thatAfter all that build up of epic choices with people dying and the Illusive Man fighting with Shepard and Anderson and then.... no end boss.... empty promises broken.... Was this really what you wanted to do with one of the best franchises of all time? Is this really your ending to Mass Effect Bioware? And with this "extended cut" dlc is just more **** taped onto the ending... With that said... It was an amazing game all the way up to the ending with Casper and his stupid "choices." Oh how the mighty have fallen in this game. I just hope they do something to make it different change the ending maybe? Probably not but i had such high hopes for Bioware to show us the ending of Shepard's story and how he destroyed the Reapers. A big disappointment. The game was good the ending was terrible so i give this game a 7 the music, game play and story was really good all the way up till the tile floated up into the white and you woke up in front of the so called "catalyst." A solid game that could have been a perfect 10 if they just made the ending better. Expand
  39. Jul 19, 2012
    The biggest issue with this game is its failure to deliver what the overall story arch of the previous Mass Effect games was leading up to. Mass Effect 3 is nothing short of magnificent and plays very well until its last few hours; during which, however, it starts to fall apart in an unprecedented manner. Unlike during the brilliant final mission of Mass Effect 2, almost none of theThe biggest issue with this game is its failure to deliver what the overall story arch of the previous Mass Effect games was leading up to. Mass Effect 3 is nothing short of magnificent and plays very well until its last few hours; during which, however, it starts to fall apart in an unprecedented manner. Unlike during the brilliant final mission of Mass Effect 2, almost none of the thematically important choices the players made during the game (or the previous installments) manifest themselves in the moments where the Mass Effect trilogy should have reached its climax. This ultimately renders all Mass Effect games a letdown, even pointless, since the overarching consequences of our decisions have been the M.O. of the series from the very beginning. Likewise, the infamous ending of the game (even after the Extended Cut) is a textbook example of inconsistent script writing that feels incredibly disjointed from the core themes of the series, as if the writers responsible for the rest of the Mass Effect universe had nothing to do with it. In the end, it is irrelevant whether the third act of Mass Effect 3 is so cheap and rushed because of EA, greed, Bioware's obligation to implement a multiplayer into the game, etc. The bottom line is that it's a failure of the concept and the storytelling that made the series unique in the first place, in short, it is a failure of artistic integrity. Expand
  40. Jul 19, 2012
    Forget the terrible, plot hole-ridden abomination Bioware calls an "ending". This game has far worse problems than that. An incredibly lazy deus ex machina plot involving super-mega-awesome reaper destruction device known as " The Crucible" to some of the most ridiculous scenes in the history of video gaming(Tali's possible death sequence, for example). The writing is atrocious and seemsForget the terrible, plot hole-ridden abomination Bioware calls an "ending". This game has far worse problems than that. An incredibly lazy deus ex machina plot involving super-mega-awesome reaper destruction device known as " The Crucible" to some of the most ridiculous scenes in the history of video gaming(Tali's possible death sequence, for example). The writing is atrocious and seems to be done by a seven-year-old fan-fiction writer. The "neutral" dialog response is now completely removed, so most of the time you have two illusionary choices in dialogs, which don't affect anything at all. That is,if dialog wheel even appears, as it has been mostly replaced by auto-dialog. The world of Mass Effect has shrunk from the quite large Citadel areas and dozen of huge,explorable (though empty) planets in Mass Effect to six crammed locations at the citadel with bland grey architecture and bleak Normandy in the third game. Not even four relatively small, but at least completely different hubs like in Mass Effect 2 .But the final nail in the coffin are "quests".The way it works is already anecdotal-you wonder around the Citadel, "overhear" two people talking about some stupid item, your journal will update, you go to that area, scan the planet via boring planet scanner, "retrieve" that item and give it back to those idiots at Citadel. That's it. No dialog wheel, not even a cutscene, nothing at all. There are other kind of RARE side-missions, where you go to a boxed area and kill everything on your way to... retrieve data or item. There is not a single side-mission, which even remotely looks like an RPG quest should, let alone being interesting. The combat is the same as the second game, a boring cover-based Gears of War like shooter with million enemies per level to kill. Weapon mods are almost completely useless, armor sets are literally copy/pasted from Mass Effect 2 DLC. Hell, most of the time you can't even talk to your teammates on Normandy. The only reason I don't give it a zero, is because some really good moments here and there. In all, a disaster of epic proportions, no doubt. Bioware managed to destroy an interesting and promising science fiction action-adventure game with RPG elements and that's not easy even if you work deliberately to do just that. Expand
  41. Jul 18, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the brilliant conclusion to the popular series. Do not listen to these bad reviews, the game was brilliant. I found the endings really good, they fitted the 'Mass Effect' spirit and made a stunning conclusion. I think a lot of people wanted a 'Shepard defeats the reapers and lives happily ever after" kind of ending. But then they would force Bioware for a Mass Effect 4Mass Effect 3 is the brilliant conclusion to the popular series. Do not listen to these bad reviews, the game was brilliant. I found the endings really good, they fitted the 'Mass Effect' spirit and made a stunning conclusion. I think a lot of people wanted a 'Shepard defeats the reapers and lives happily ever after" kind of ending. But then they would force Bioware for a Mass Effect 4 (something Bioware didn't want to do)

Brilliant game, brilliant ending. 9/10
  42. Jul 18, 2012
    Truly a greater loads of garbage has never been made. I can't even bother to finish the game. 59$ my arse. I would never buy any product from Bioware again.
  43. Jul 17, 2012
    Possibly the most disappointing release I've ever played. I will, in all honesty, never forgive the developer for taking narrative control away from a character I'd spent _years_ with and forcing her to engage in the least satisfying ending- and least in-character actions- imaginable. I haven't even logged into multiplayer in months. Regardless of how many new "cool" weapons andPossibly the most disappointing release I've ever played. I will, in all honesty, never forgive the developer for taking narrative control away from a character I'd spent _years_ with and forcing her to engage in the least satisfying ending- and least in-character actions- imaginable. I haven't even logged into multiplayer in months. Regardless of how many new "cool" weapons and commendation packs they throw at me, the game is dead to me. I paid for it and have no interest in ever going back. And all those "critics" who gave the game a 10/10...I doubt I'll be trusting your opinions from here on out. Expand
  44. Jul 16, 2012
    After DA2 Bioware succeded in completely destroy another franchise, after the first 2 ME games this one is really a let down; with and ending cutted and pasted from deux ex macchina and defended by bioware as an artistic choice,artistic my ass is a scam.
    Your past decisions doesnt affect the end of the game, you cant have an happy ending.
    All the game is more or less like this: enter a
    All the game is more or less like this:
    enter a room kill the 3/5 enemies waves, go to next room...i so miss old bioware
  45. Jul 15, 2012
    Despite an anemic ending (mostly corrected by free DLC), still very worth a purchase. The story is still strong, characters well written, and multiplayer very fun. Definitely worth a pick up.
  46. Jul 14, 2012
    Its sad to watch something with a great beginning slowly turn into one of the most disappointing experiences. The Mass Effect series went from a great RPG with great fluff in Mass 1 to a cliched cover based shooter with the **** ending in Mass 3.

If you have to play this game, borrow a copy. Not worth purchasing.
  47. Jul 14, 2012
    It's been three hoursI've been trying to install the game. Origin is complete **** I'm getting all sorts of errors which I'm managing to solve not through EA but through third party forums. This is the last time I'm buying anything that has to do with the Origin crap. They should have stuck with steam.
  48. Jul 14, 2012
    I'm not really sure what happened here but this is not a Mass Effect game...

Mass Effect games had smartly written stories and let you make decisions.

This game is not that AT ALL.

It does have some nice music, though not as good as ME2. I will give 3 points for that.
  49. Jul 13, 2012
    As an honest gamer, I will keep this short and sweet: Mass Effect 3 was an exciting start to the "beginning of the end" for the series. While a lot of problems originated mostly from the ending and a few problems upon launch, the game itself is a remarkable experience. It does what it set out to do: And that was entertain as a cover-based, third-person RPG-shooter. While I disagree withAs an honest gamer, I will keep this short and sweet: Mass Effect 3 was an exciting start to the "beginning of the end" for the series. While a lot of problems originated mostly from the ending and a few problems upon launch, the game itself is a remarkable experience. It does what it set out to do: And that was entertain as a cover-based, third-person RPG-shooter. While I disagree with some of the choices made to the story, the game itself was the ending players wanted to Shepards story. And with the multiplayer experience shaping up to be an unforgettable experience (albeit some of the weapons are being fiddled with for no reason) as more and more content is being released free of charge. And to top it off, the Extended Cut is free DLC, allowing everyone to choose which endings they liked best. All in all, I'd say Mass Effect 3 earned it's place in history. Expand
  50. Jul 13, 2012
    Its a gread Game and with the EE worthy of financial statements of the Story. I have cried at the Ending, because it was aware thats now over with my Shepard, 4 Years long i have playes she... Thank your Bioware vor the great Serie, ich love it and i hope you make a good Mass Effect 4.
  51. Jul 13, 2012
    I have played Mass Effect from the first one, It had a marvelous and original setting that no much rpg's could mach.Still aside from the story combat was creative but often frustrating. In second one story got a lot blander with all that Cerberus nonsense but at least combat was better and game more refined.
    But third one is just terrible, the new writer who overtook the scene is awful,
    But third one is just terrible, the new writer who overtook the scene is awful, knowing nothing of previous games, overall game quality is bad, an ugly copy-paste ripped from previous games, low-res textures, logic errors in quests, unasked multiplayer component in a singleplayer game, day-1 DLC, broken promises, brought out reviews, defiling of the scene with "human master race" storyline.

Worst game I ever brought truly shocked and angered beyond reason for destruction of my favorite trilogy, whoever in EA is responsible for this atrocity should be hanged for his crimes against the fanbase, I now need some strong alcohol to forget what I saw. oh poor Tali what have they done to you.(sob) :(
  52. Jul 13, 2012
    Bought it cheap but still did not touch the game until the Extended Cut appeared so my review is only of that version - I don't even know what was added to be honest.

It takes a while to get going but I was rewarded with an occasionally epic midgame and a reasonable ending to the whole saga. The combat scenes are far, far too easy though so I recommend pumping it above normal difficulty. It's also about the quietest game I've ever played so I had to drive my volume settings to about double what I normally use.

Also I got the distinct impression that most of my travels were completely pointless since you fairly quickly reach the "Minimum" Force level to complete the game - I doubt greater values matter.

The galactic readiness map is of course entirely meaningless in the Single Player game but that's not something I recall being made aware of. Just ignore it.
  53. Jul 12, 2012
    I purchased ME1&ME2; but, while I like the game play of ME3 I am protesting it, by not buying it. They got rid of the original story writer, they crapped on the graphics, ruined the game ending and put homosexuals on my ship. Gamers are not defined by gay ideologies or self-righteous straights, for crying out! we are just gamers. Fun games should not be used as devise where staff writersI purchased ME1&ME2; but, while I like the game play of ME3 I am protesting it, by not buying it. They got rid of the original story writer, they crapped on the graphics, ruined the game ending and put homosexuals on my ship. Gamers are not defined by gay ideologies or self-righteous straights, for crying out! we are just gamers. Fun games should not be used as devise where staff writers bow to the political right or left. So, with these three negatives I will not buy this game. If the graphics and the game ending were really amazing, I would still not buy it - unless - the ME3 configuration utility allowed me to decide/change the gay/straight themes for my personal game preferences. It is when game developers force you to play their way instead of allowing the gamer to make their own personal choice, then I say **** you Bioware and EA, I will start downloading free games from torrent sites from now on, until you stop nailing gamers up the ass with your nickel and dime DLC and politicking ideology crap. Please stop doing this to gamers. Expand
  54. Jul 11, 2012
    The only reason Mass Effect 3 doesn't get a perfect 10 from me is the ending, plain and simple. Even since the release of the extended cut, I can't help but feel that BioWare didn't give this series the conclusion it deserves. That said, the game is absolutely fantastic, and by far the greatest sci-fi RPG to be released in a long, long time.
  55. Jul 10, 2012
    I'll be going over various aspects of Mass Effect 3. However, for people trolling this game on Metacritic for the ending, this is not the place to cry. Don't give the game a bad rating because you ended up with the worst ending. Moving on to the graphics:
    Graphics: DirectX 9, runs very smoothly on most GPUs. An improvement from Mass Effect 2, but it cannot match the new DX11 games obviously.
    Story: I was very disappointed in the story. It was just "Okay". The storyline got boring after the second time playing it. It was also very short compared to Mass Effect 2's.
    Combat: Combat was improved dramatically from Mass Effect 2. Multiplayer: This topic is a hot one. In my opinion, i enjoy Multiplayer. It can entertain me for hours. Characters: There are very few characters from Mass Effect 1 & 2, and very few new characters that are introduced. This should give you an idea on how quick the campaign goes.
    Anamation Effects: By this, i mean "Character Animations". These improved a little from Mass Effect 2, but not by much.
    Issues I Found: The big difference between Mass Effect 2 & 3 is the combat. ME2 was about the 'Story', while ME3 focuses on 'Combat'. ME3's story get shortened compared to ME2, but it compensates by indroducing Multiplayer. I think Mass Effect is turning more into a Halo-like game. In the next Mass Effect, i'd like to see a deeper story that was more like ME2, however, i'd also like to keep the combat from ME3. I want to see a Co-op option and the MP taken out. I'm also hoping for DX11 graphics. Overall, the game gets an 86. It's a great game to snag 'On Sale'.
  56. Jul 9, 2012
    I' ve played all 3 mass effect games, I believe the first one had the best scenario, the second was also interesting and improved as far as game play is concerned. The third installment left me with mixed emotions, I enjoyed the gameplay which is much more realistic and fun, you have more freedom on the battlefield and a larger variety of moves and enemies. The quest system where youI' ve played all 3 mass effect games, I believe the first one had the best scenario, the second was also interesting and improved as far as game play is concerned. The third installment left me with mixed emotions, I enjoyed the gameplay which is much more realistic and fun, you have more freedom on the battlefield and a larger variety of moves and enemies. The quest system where you search for Assets on planets is similar to the one M.E. 2 had, I think it is a quite boring, I would prefer to search for Assets with the Mako like in M.E. 1., but I guess that is subjective because others believe you could easily get lost with the Mako in M.E.1 resulting in frustration. Anyway, the weakest element in M.E. 3 is, in my opinion, its scenario and particularly the ending. I do not wish to write in detail about it, somethings are better left for others to judge on their own. However I must point out that it seemed sloppy and hasty, almost like fast food, quickly rushed off the grill and on a plate. I played the normal edition and the extended cut, which was slightly improved but still it just went from hot-dog to burger. I strongly believe EA rushed Bio-ware to launch the game in order to start generating income and unfortunately the end depicted that. I remember some years ago I played and finished Star Wars:Knights of the old Republic, also by Bioware, a great game by my standards mainly for the scenario. But.... KOTOR2 was a different story... published by Lucas Arts and developed by Obsidian because Bioware refused to succumb to the pressure of an early release, anyway that's not the point, the important thing is that when I finished KOTOR2 I realized I didn't understand anything, not just the ending..... So I' ve seen worse cases than M.E. 3, but unfortunately I've also seen better work from Bioware. If only they delayed one more month the game release, M.E. 3 would have had a different, more solid ending I believe, besides, it took them one month to release the extended cut dlc, and it probably cost them more, perhaps not financially, but ethicly and in terms of brand name, I don't think many people will pre order Bioware games from now on.......when glass breaks, it can't be glued, same goes for trust. Expand
  57. Jul 9, 2012
    Played the whole series. Loved it. I played through Mass Effect 3 one time, using the extended cut, so I did not get traumatized, it seems. Combat is fun, writing is top-notch. My only complaints: too short, too linear, not enough replay value (also, that Asian villain was REALLY cheesy. REALLY). I forgive it all because I like the Mass Effect universe, and I like Liara too much. I wish itPlayed the whole series. Loved it. I played through Mass Effect 3 one time, using the extended cut, so I did not get traumatized, it seems. Combat is fun, writing is top-notch. My only complaints: too short, too linear, not enough replay value (also, that Asian villain was REALLY cheesy. REALLY). I forgive it all because I like the Mass Effect universe, and I like Liara too much. I wish it was designed in a way that I could keep playing. Expand
  58. Jul 9, 2012
    I waited for the Extended Cut before submitting a review because I felt that was the most fair way to rate the game. As a stand-alone game, I think ME3 would have been pretty good. I enjoyed the combat system and a good portion of the plot. The characters are written in such a way that they truly become human to you, and you come to care about them. However, I feel this game was onlyI waited for the Extended Cut before submitting a review because I felt that was the most fair way to rate the game. As a stand-alone game, I think ME3 would have been pretty good. I enjoyed the combat system and a good portion of the plot. The characters are written in such a way that they truly become human to you, and you come to care about them. However, I feel this game was only average because I followed all the developer updates and advertisements on it, and I played the first two games in the series. I do not agree with the people who are giving this game a 0, because that certainly isn't fair, although I do understand that some people feel betrayed by Bioware with this game. I also feel that a perfect or ridiculously high score for this game isn't fair because it does not take into account that so much more was promised for this game. I will detail this as best I can without spoilers.

The first thing I have to talk about it the multiplayer. Time and again, Bioware said that it was completely optional and that it was an alternative way to get the best ending. However, it turned out not to be true- mulitplayer was required to get the best possible ending. The Extended Cut changes this, and so that problem is rectified. However, I feel it is worth noting that Bioware claimed time and again that multiplayer was optional, and yet the only thing that caused them to fix this problem was the fan outcry.

Something amazing that I have to say about this game is that the soundtrack is the best I have heard in a game in a long time. I wish they had this kind of soundtrack for the previous two games, because it is just that good.

The bulk of the plot includes a pretty good story and side stories, as I said, but in the scope of the trilogy there are some problems. Many of the choices from previous games have little to no consequences. While I understand that it would not be possible to incorporate every little choice into this game, the game was advertised to show the consequences of the player's actions. Some choices were even stated by the developers to have "huge consequences" only for such statements to turn out not to be true. There are minor variations in the plot to account for player decisions, but at no point in the game are there "huge consequences."

Another good thing about the game I found was the improved combat system. Combat is much more tactical and fun than the previous games. Even the multiplayer is a lot of fun. As stated previously, my only issue with the multiplayer was that it was forced initially. The combat system is fun, regardless of whether it is single or multi player.

Finally, there is the controversial ending. If I could submit a review solely on the ending, that would be a 0. However, if I could review the entire game except for the ending it would be a 6 or 7. The initial ending would have been mediocre if it were the end of a standalone game. As the ending of a trilogy the prided itself on choice, the original ending was downright insulting, given that despite the player's final choice the endings were almost entirely the same. The Extended Cut keeps the endings thematically the same while essentially making them look different. It provides a significant improvement, and for many (including myself) it adds replay value to the game and the series. I have to say though, as someone who has been a fan since the original Mass Effect, that ending was not the ending that Mass Effect deserved. To people who have followed the trilogy, the ending was a massive disappointment. I am not letting that fact influence the score I give the game, because I do not think that is fair. The majority of the game is pretty good, and if it were not for the couple of other problems, the score I gave would be a few points higher, but the emotional part of me wanted to give this game a much lower score. Again, that isn't fair, and that is why I didn't, but to anyone who was a hardcore fan of this series, the ending, which essentially leaves what happens up to the player's imagination, is ridiculously disappointing.
  59. Jul 8, 2012
    After looking at all the red scores this game has received I have been compelled to speak out. I don't think most users have given this game a fair go. It has received this negative criticism for many reasons. Some of the criticism is fair, but most of it is drivel written by petulant children that didn't get their cookie.

Firstly there had been unrealistic expectations placed upon

Firstly there had been unrealistic expectations placed upon it. It is the third of an epic trilogy. Not only did it have three times the attention that an original release would have done, but it also carried with it two games worth of changeable back-story that needed working into the plot. That is a serious amount of baggage for any development team to work with. Pleasing everyone was never going to happen if the game was ever going to be released. I am amazed however how smoothly the game plays out having played through it now with three different save game imports. Bioware have done a superlative job in simply getting a coherent story out of two games worth (70 hours worth) of loose threads, and should be commended for their efforts.

Secondly plot has developed in line with the popular hero trend. If you want your hero
  60. Jul 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just finished playing ME3 with all the available DLC's including the extended cut...so far I played through the "Refusing to choice", Synthesis" and "Destruction" options. The first two while bitter sweet, were rather good. Where as the destruction option, just left me feeling frustrated. Due to where it shows Shepard suddenly taking a breath as though having been out cold. But then the credits begin rolling.

It just made it seem like more of a teaser to see Shepard's suddenly breath in and then nothing else. I can understand Bioware wanting to leave it up to the gamers imagination...but that teaser, is like torture.

I just wanted to mention that. But again the other two ending options I played through, those were rather good and while I don't know what the original shorter endings were like, I did appreciate the extended cut version. I just would have liked to have more certainty of Shepard's fate after that breath.

Heck I really would have enjoyed seeing an option where Shepard rejoins his friends upon the Normandy. But what can be told, aside from just appreciating the fact that at least his friends survived and the she/he got to breath again.

At any rate, the game overall was amazing...and perhaps I feel that way because I waited until the extended cut DLC became available.
  61. Jul 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It is not often that the last game in a series manages to effectively ruin the work of its predecessors and their replay values, along with its own. But Mass Effect 3 does exactly that. The extended cut does nothing to alleviate the problems introduced by the original ending, just as patching a few holes in the hull of the Titanic wouldn't stop it from sinking because of the ginormous hole created by the impact with the iceberg.

What is Mass Effect 3's iceberg? Why does it ruin the first two games in the trilogy for me? Because of what the ending does to the reapers, and how it invalidates 3 games worth of work. The reapers in the first two games were a mysterious, godlike force that were, as Sovereign told us, beyond our comprehension. Mass Effect 1 was shrouded with an ominous enigma; we had no idea what motivated the reapers or what their true purpose was. All we knew is that they wanted to end sentient life in the galaxy, and that this wasn't the first time they had done it. Mass Effect 2 kept this up. Even before the ending in Mass Effect 3, the reaper on Rannoch tells Shepard that the reason for the mass genocide is "not something you can comprehend". But I noticed something was amiss in the proceeding dialogue. The reaper continues to say, "Without our intervention, organics are doomed. We are your salvation." This was just a hint at the **** that would occur in the last 5 minutes of the game. As it turns out, according to the Star-kid-god-deus-ex-machina, the reapers are merely puppets; he controls them. They are well within our comprehension. They aren't mysterious at all. Now when I play the first 2 games, I know that Sovereign and Harbinger are talking out their asses when they say that we cannot imagine their realm of existence. It's just sad how they effectively made two badass bad guys in the first 2 games into stupid little dolls. It makes the first two games hardly bearable.

The Starkid tells us that they were his solution to the problem of how organics inevitably create synthetic life, which inevitably kills organic life. So his solution is to kill all organic life before this really happens. Are you kidding me? First of all, that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Why not just let organics get themselves killed instead of forcibly doing it? Second, why did I just spend the last 3 games repairing the relations between the Geth and Quarians? Does it mean nothing at all that I manufactured a peace between them? Oh, you're telling me it happens in every cycle? ****. Third, why all of a sudden is the core theme of the game synthetics vs. organics? I thought it was about making my own decisions, crafting my own destiny, and uniting all species under a common goal, organic or not? Now, all of a sudden, oh it turns out the Geth will eventually kill you, so we'll kill you before that happens. Simply unacceptable. Honestly, a third grader could write a better ending. And I'm forced into making a stupid decision at the end of the game that doesn't really incorporate any previous decisions, like the developers promised. Saved the Rachni queen? Cured the genophage? Created peace between the Geth and the Quarians? LOL DOESN'T MATTER. Pick a color.

Now when I try to replay the series, I know I will be forced into this awful ending, none of my decisions matter, the bad guys are just tools, the Geth will kill everyone if unchecked, and Ashley/Kaiden will still not trust me despite everything I've done for the galaxy.

Also, what was the point of Mass Effect 1? If the Starkid is a part of the Citadel, why didn't he just open the relay instead of letting stupid Sovereign fumble around like a fool? He can apparently generate a blinding light that merges synthetic life and organic life, which is far more complicated than anything that's ever existed ever, so I'm sure he's capable of pressing a damn button. And even if he couldn't, it apparently only takes 6 months for reapers to get from dark space to the galaxy, so why didn't they just do that in the first place?

The only reason I'm so upset is because how much I loved the first 2.9 games. I saw the Mass Effect trilogy as this generation's Star Wars, a space opera of epic proportions that has a meticulous and interesting universe. But Mass Effect 3 really just makes me.. sad. Because its ending did not do the series justice. The Rannoch, Tuchanka, Mordin, and Thane scenes all brought me to tears. The entire series was astounding up until the last few minutes. Bioware had the chance to define the Mass Effect trilogy as the new standard for story driven games. But now? It's just.. bleh. I will probably never buy a Bioware game again. First Dragon Age 2, then SWTOR, and now this. They have fumbled 3 great franchises. Oh well.
  62. Jul 7, 2012
    As a stand alone game, it was mediocre at best. As the 3rd installment in a trilogy, if failed in almost every way possible.
    Your character is no longer yours but a forced character by BW.
    Autodialog forces conversations in directions that go against the players choices. Boring, uninspired fetch quests inundate the game. Exceptionally linear in design, unlike the pseudo-free style of
    Your character is no longer yours but a forced character by BW.
    Boring, uninspired fetch quests inundate the game.
    Exceptionally linear in design, unlike the pseudo-free style of the previous games.
    Endings that nothing to smile about and everything to hate. Infused with massive, game breaking, space magic.
    Overall, a childish attempt at ending a trilogy. Not worth the purchase price.
  63. Jul 7, 2012
    This game feels completely different to his predecessors. Bad writing, plotholes and inconsistencies, a forced storyline, "stagnant" characters and autodialogue really prevented me from enjoying this chapter. It just felt.. wrong. Even without addressing the endings issue. Since ME1 (which I loved) it's been a way down.
  64. Jul 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I gave 0 last time. now the ending makes it less worst. I won't write a new review since I think like everyone else. Don't buy, rent. and stop when you kill the illusive man. no point going further. Expand
  65. Jul 6, 2012
    The entire game focuses on a story which doesn't relate to Me and ME2 very well. Most missions you do come across as tacked in just to add gameplay hours, at least 3 Deus Ex Machina plot points (We don't have a cure for the genophage....wait...yes we do now; How can we know what the catalyst is? Hey, there's prothean beacon over there! Reapers cannot be defeated. There's a thing calledThe entire game focuses on a story which doesn't relate to Me and ME2 very well. Most missions you do come across as tacked in just to add gameplay hours, at least 3 Deus Ex Machina plot points (We don't have a cure for the genophage....wait...yes we do now; How can we know what the catalyst is? Hey, there's prothean beacon over there! Reapers cannot be defeated. There's a thing called crucible, no one knows what it is or what it does, but hey, it's big! Must work!), and many more senseless things happening.
    Also, using cerberus as villains was simply a retarded cop out for enemies, and they ruined TIM in the process, turning the "ultimate renegade" into a deranged power hungry maniac.
    It's just sad how they handled ME2 characters, especially when romanced.
    The gameplay flows a bit soother than ME2, but it still has rather stupid cover mechanics. Also in the gameplay, the auto-dialog... Probably the worst idea they could have!
    Now, to the endings... Well, it is said that if a part of the story feels completely out of place, it can be disregarded from the plot so logically, the game ends before the companions are picked up by the Normandy during harby's nap time, therefore, I'm still waiting for the endings.
  66. Jul 5, 2012
    The main problem of this game has to be the fact that they left out Drew Karpishyn, the guy who wrote the first two games, I knew right from the beginning, that it didn't feel right, wen I figured out EA put their dirty little hands on everything mass effect, That was the end of it. I invested to much time and money on the series, only for it to be sabotaged by EA and their minions. IThe main problem of this game has to be the fact that they left out Drew Karpishyn, the guy who wrote the first two games, I knew right from the beginning, that it didn't feel right, wen I figured out EA put their dirty little hands on everything mass effect, That was the end of it. I invested to much time and money on the series, only for it to be sabotaged by EA and their minions. I loved the mass effect universe, it got me through tough times, it meant a lot to me, I know that sounds gay but its true, The first two games hit the right buttons for me.

But now I feel worse. The extended cut was the nail on the coffin, and now some **** is already laying out the plans for a mass effect MMO. Extended cut.... More like extended disappointment.. Thats my two cents anyways...
  67. Jul 5, 2012
    While I enjoyed the game play on its own, it most definitely was not the Mass Effect I remember. This game is to Mass Effect what a personal plane is to a personal jet, good on its own, but not what you wanted.
  68. Jul 4, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I would give this game a 8 for the gameplay and a 3 for the overall story line, which resulted in a 5. The combat system is fun, the weapons feel real and the environments are awesome. Only downside is the covert system feels a bit clunky at times, especially moving from cover to cover.

The plot and the direction they decided to go were so bad as to be almost laughable for a company like Bioware. Without going into too many details you pretty much spend 95% of the game fixing plot elements from mass effect 1 + 2 and then 5% of the game finding all your work meant absolutely nothing.

There were so many different ways they could have done this, why they decided to kill off this franchise, I don
  69. Jul 4, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a well made experience to say the least. The overall combat action is very fast and fluid though there are quite a few animation glitches here and there but aren't serious enough to ruin things. The six basic classes are played differently, so the combat itself had replay values. The enemy AI are improved a bit but still feels weak most time. The pause function reallyMass Effect 3 is a well made experience to say the least. The overall combat action is very fast and fluid though there are quite a few animation glitches here and there but aren't serious enough to ruin things. The six basic classes are played differently, so the combat itself had replay values. The enemy AI are improved a bit but still feels weak most time. The pause function really ruined this game imo which made this single player game rather easy. The story is epic in scope compare to the previous two entries but some new plots are not well explained. I wont put spoilers here, but the game indeed will confuse you if you ever played the first two mass effect games. the newly released extended cut added more explanations, though I do not feel it helped much.The playable characters are significantly reduced compare to mass effect 2 which leads to a shorter story line. the playable contents in single player part are noticeably less than those in mass effect 2. you should be able to finish most single player contents in 30~35 hours. However, the game did add a quite fun multilayer portion to compensate the shorter single player game. there are lots of unlockables in multilayer, so it should keep you busy for one or two months. despite the flaws, I still would say mass effect 3 is a very solid game combining fun combat, epic storyline and interactive cinema. It's still a memorable adventure and a must play for people who loved storytelling in video games. Expand
  70. Jul 4, 2012
    Ok, there are some plot holes and some strange decision were took about ending cinematics, almost identical no matter the choice you pick at the end. But I really don't get why everyone is arguing about the final: that was an epic, perfect epilogue for this marvelous saga. Almost perfect game.
  71. Jul 3, 2012
    I'm going to try reviewing this without talking about the disgrace to gaming known as "EA"... But what the hell, EA deliver minimal gaming to the public, expecting them to survive on a half-done game, and deliver their wallets for the next 5000 DLC's. I cannot understand why EA take companies such as Bioware, who have been immensely successful in the past, and absolutely rip the creativityI'm going to try reviewing this without talking about the disgrace to gaming known as "EA"... But what the hell, EA deliver minimal gaming to the public, expecting them to survive on a half-done game, and deliver their wallets for the next 5000 DLC's. I cannot understand why EA take companies such as Bioware, who have been immensely successful in the past, and absolutely rip the creativity from them. The ending is disgustingly inaccurate to the rest of the series (no surprise thanks to the 1 million writer changes), and gameplay seems to be a child's interpretation of the previous games, the graphics seem half done thanks to all the cartoony looks on humans, and the game in genral, ABSOLUTE FILTH. EA is the disgrace in gaming that likes to place it in the shower and choke it to death. The END. Expand
  72. Jul 1, 2012
    The problems that everyone had with the ending have been fixed with the Extended Cut and additional closure and clarification was added making this game the ideal choice for purchase if you haven't already. :)
  73. Jul 1, 2012
    As a fan of the two previous mass effects I have to say this was a let down, some gameplay issues, story is decent to a point, but what hurt most was the ending. Bioware not think that throwing there own lore out the window would hurt the fans really took me aback. Since the extended cut was released it fixed some issues but still leaves a bad taste in your mouth, plus a few new plotAs a fan of the two previous mass effects I have to say this was a let down, some gameplay issues, story is decent to a point, but what hurt most was the ending. Bioware not think that throwing there own lore out the window would hurt the fans really took me aback. Since the extended cut was released it fixed some issues but still leaves a bad taste in your mouth, plus a few new plot holes. An unfortunate ending to what was a good series. Expand
  74. Jun 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Promises broken. The entire experience of the 3 games is destroyed by the end. It feels as if EA forced them to remove the true ending and put this ending in to force-fit a 4th game. I predict a Mass Effect 4. . .and I will not buy it. Expand
  75. Jun 29, 2012
    After the release i gave this game a score of 1 because in my feeling not only the end was rushed/ full of nonsense, most of the game was way behind the 1st and 2nd, and none of what they promised (i mean, the things that make good rpg, and that made the 2nd and especially the 1st very good and enjoyable games), none of theses promises were kept.
    So the end was the cherry on the cake.
    So the end was the cherry on the cake.
    After so much time and a so huge dlc (almost 2 gigs) they somewhat 'fixed' things, well, they think they did. Not for me, but i have to admit they did something.
    But that doesn't make of me3 a good game, just a less bad game (bad for the price and announcements, it would be amazing for a game 5 years in the past and 20
  76. Jun 29, 2012
    Horrible scenario, horrible missons, horrible teammates, horrible endings, horrible controlling, horrible and very long dialogs and War Assests... Mass Effect 3 is horrible. Mass Effect 2 is the best.
  77. Jun 29, 2012
    I am re-reviewing this game due to the Extended Cut release. I had originally given this a 4 due to the horrible ending with the Extended Cut I feel Bioware did well in trying to wrap up a difficult story. Bioware can't make everyone happy but I am satisfied with the Extended Cut and look forward to replaying this game over and over now.
  78. Jun 28, 2012
    Do not believe the negative trolls that have taken over this review site. This is one of the best sci-fi games ever produced and comes to an excellent conclusion. The new extended cut makes it that much better. If you pass this game up because of the negative idiots, you have no one to blame but yourself. Try the game and come to your own conclusion...
  79. Jun 27, 2012
    With the new Extended CUT DLC, while the endings could be better, it brings this game back up to its deserved 10/10 (it still gets 9 because... I had to wait 4 months to get this ending, but if it shipped like this, it would have been a 10). It provides closure, has some really touching scenes, and overall just allows the player to sit back think "my work here is finished". Before we knewWith the new Extended CUT DLC, while the endings could be better, it brings this game back up to its deserved 10/10 (it still gets 9 because... I had to wait 4 months to get this ending, but if it shipped like this, it would have been a 10). It provides closure, has some really touching scenes, and overall just allows the player to sit back think "my work here is finished". Before we knew nothing, and it felt like a slap in the face. All I have to say is Bioware, I knew you had it in you! Next time just do this from the get-go =( Expand
  80. Jun 27, 2012
    Bioware stepped up and made the changes that bring the game to what it should have been. The game is not complete. As such my rating is what I feel the product should be alloted based on its story, gameplay, and functionality.
  81. Jun 27, 2012
    I loved almost everything about Mass Effect 2 and yet Mass Effect 3 delivers even better game. Action parts are perfect, flanking works flawlessly and I really like different types of enemies. I like the plotline and while I must say, that potential from previous saves is rather underused, it still feels like "mine" universe and whole story of all three games works with it rather nicely.I loved almost everything about Mass Effect 2 and yet Mass Effect 3 delivers even better game. Action parts are perfect, flanking works flawlessly and I really like different types of enemies. I like the plotline and while I must say, that potential from previous saves is rather underused, it still feels like "mine" universe and whole story of all three games works with it rather nicely.
    PS: DON'T PLAY IT WITHOUT EXTENDED ENDING DLC
  82. Jun 25, 2012
    So, I share the same gripe that everyone else has with ME3: it only has 3 endings. And by 3 endings I mean 1 ending with 3 different color overlays. Red, green and blue. Now the 1 ending is fine, but I was expecting no less than 6 distinct endings and frankly I was hoping for more like 9 or 12 given all the hype over how our choices would impact the end. But no, all those choicesSo, I share the same gripe that everyone else has with ME3: it only has 3 endings. And by 3 endings I mean 1 ending with 3 different color overlays. Red, green and blue. Now the 1 ending is fine, but I was expecting no less than 6 distinct endings and frankly I was hoping for more like 9 or 12 given all the hype over how our choices would impact the end. But no, all those choices culminate in 1 ending with 3 color overlays...

That said, ME3 is a great game. Graphics are great, story is great, the soundtrack is excellent. It has in depth character development and ties up all the loose ends. You will meet all the (surviving) characters from the first two episodes and help them out at least one more time. It will make you smile, laugh and cry... or at least look really solemn. The game does NOT deserve a score less than 5 from anyone. It is a shining example of the kind of games the industry should be producing and deserves your vote and purchase. How the user score on this is lower than the likes of Alan Wake or Duke Nukem Forever is beyond me. But yeah, I have to dock it some points for having no visually distinct endings.
  83. Jun 24, 2012
    This game was amazing! The character was deep and the final conclusion made my boner rip through my pants. The gameplay was solid, with great innovation from EA but the game still holding to it's roots. I really don't understand all the hatred this game receives. If you read into the indoctrination theory and follow the correct ending you will probably see the ending as one of the greatestThis game was amazing! The character was deep and the final conclusion made my boner rip through my pants. The gameplay was solid, with great innovation from EA but the game still holding to it's roots. I really don't understand all the hatred this game receives. If you read into the indoctrination theory and follow the correct ending you will probably see the ending as one of the greatest ending's of all time. The ending ranks high on my favorite endings, among Fallout 3, Bioshock, etc.

People who hate this ending are self-entitled brats giant expectations that are unrealistic. Each ending PERFECTLY reflected your decisions throughout the game. lol
  84. Jun 23, 2012
    The main problem with mass effect three compared to the last two is that all these decisions, all those player deaths, all those events and consequences that you have caused to happen in the lead up to this game, most of them seem to have very little final impact on the finale (which was rubbish btw). some plot lines just plain dont make sense (The reapers, a killing race of machines, wereThe main problem with mass effect three compared to the last two is that all these decisions, all those player deaths, all those events and consequences that you have caused to happen in the lead up to this game, most of them seem to have very little final impact on the finale (which was rubbish btw). some plot lines just plain dont make sense (The reapers, a killing race of machines, were sent to destroy us because in the future we would create a race of machines that would end mankind. um wtf?!?!) the build up to the last few battles was nigh on brilliant, all the characthers you fall in love (or hate) with have their fitting stories and some fitting conclusions, but then the final battles and final outcome takes all of those stories, completely discards and disregards them and gives you a supposedly "artistic" end sequence. again i call bs, its a cop out, its like the script writers went on strike for the last month of development so they called in a college psych student to finish it off. I wasnt angry the night i finished it, but sleeping on it i woke up really p-off.

the combat is improved from number two, and the multiplayer is a nice touch if lacking any real depth, i would say it feels like an experiment rather than a key part of the game. You will find yourself in some explosive chaotic moments that hold you on the edge of your seat, which is great, but the final pay off is just a big nothing, could be the worst ending to a game since metal gear solid 2. In conclusion, its a great end to the series BUT it sacrifices great rpg elements for third person shooting elements that gears of war did better. To add insult to injury bioware is now making dlc to change the ending. So... is that an admittance of failure on your part Bioware? cheers bro
  85. Jun 22, 2012
    Mass effect as a trilogy is by far one of the better action RPGs out there. Mass effect 3 is an excellent addition to it, though its ending may leave you feeling unsatisfied. You play as Commander Shepard, on a quest to save the galaxy from the Reapers, who are these ancient synthetic aliens hell bent on wiping out all organic life. It's a shooter RPG, and while the gameplay is quite niceMass effect as a trilogy is by far one of the better action RPGs out there. Mass effect 3 is an excellent addition to it, though its ending may leave you feeling unsatisfied. You play as Commander Shepard, on a quest to save the galaxy from the Reapers, who are these ancient synthetic aliens hell bent on wiping out all organic life. It's a shooter RPG, and while the gameplay is quite nice especially compared to earlier mass effect editions, the heart and soul of this game is not in its gameplay but in its story and characterization. You'll care about your squad members in a way you wouldn't in other games. You'll actually want to know what happens to them. This is bioware's strength: creating games with characters you actually like and want to know more about. For most of the game and especially the Tuchanka mission, the game is an absolute blast. It is more challenging than Mass effect 1 and 2 in a good way, and they've removed the distracting mini games. There has been much written about Mass effect 3's ending and for good reason, if you are like the majority you will wonder what the hell happened. Its ending is not its strength, but don't let that dissuade you. It's mostly a really great game. To get the most out of it, I highly recommend playing mass effect 1 and 2 first, as your choices will carry over into 3 and make it that much more meaningful. Expand
  86. Jun 21, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 was the worst game in the series. While Multiplayer was a nice addition, i think that the singleplayer suffered a lot. Most time there are only two choices (the middle option is missing, except in some parts), the journal system got worse from me2 to 3 (how can that happen?), no vehicle exploration or little mini games and to much Auto-Dialog (Story- and RPG-Mode). Now letsMass Effect 3 was the worst game in the series. While Multiplayer was a nice addition, i think that the singleplayer suffered a lot. Most time there are only two choices (the middle option is missing, except in some parts), the journal system got worse from me2 to 3 (how can that happen?), no vehicle exploration or little mini games and to much Auto-Dialog (Story- and RPG-Mode). Now lets go to the multiplayer. The matchmaking is the worst I have ever seen and the anti-cheating system is overly sensitive (Everyone can report someone and he gets banned even he didnt do anything. Happend to me 2 times already. Had to report these mistakes and got to play multiplayer again). The good Aspects of the Game are that the dialog with your squadmates are unique and funny. You could have though BioWare looked directly into the souls of the fans. Some Missions were so unique and awesome (Tuchanka for example) that it could have redeemed BioWare for all those bad aspects. But the one thing that is the worst piece of yeah i think you know what i mean are these super intelligence-insulting endings. With that ending and the bad aspect of the game bioware not only ruined its reputation but lost a lot of (good) fans. I'd rate this game minus (over)9000 but because of some awesome moments i rate it with good will a 2 out of 10. BioWare please take these critism to heart and change while you still can! I still have faith in you. Expand
  87. Jun 19, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass effect is a game that tries to appease old fans and be a natural starting point for new fans sadly it fails at both new fans will feel overwhelmed by the situations while old fans will feel betrayed by the lack of differences in choices, i will elaborate on both but i would like this time to say the there will be spoilers

spoiler alert

new fans wont understand the gravity of the geth quarian conflict and wont feel the much passion when the shepard (the protagonist) talks about the sacrifice of a squad-mate that occurred in the first game, its also a bit overwhelming to be dumped in to this world with a lack of understanding of the different races

older fans will play a much more dumbed down version of the game, as the organization that you may have helped in previous game will be your enemy no matter what you did before, the game is also much more linear then previous games, and your a pigeon-holed in the the ending no matter what happens

if your new to the series, you will still be taken on an emotional roller coaster that you may enjoy and this game should be rated a 6/10

however if your a new fan the ending (at least for me) actually makes the two previous games worse meaning that this game should be given a negative score, as i am a fan of the previous games i will give it the lowest possible score of "0", as im not allowed to give the game a negative 20 for ruining the other two 10/10 games in the series
  88. Jun 19, 2012
    A weak ending to a promising series. It had it's moments, but the absurd finale and overall low budget feel of the game kill it completely. Gameplay-wise it's still a linear third person shooter with subtle cRPG elements like exp, skill points and minor dialogue choices. The combat isn't as dull as it was in the previous game, but it's still not enough to keep you from falling asleepA weak ending to a promising series. It had it's moments, but the absurd finale and overall low budget feel of the game kill it completely. Gameplay-wise it's still a linear third person shooter with subtle cRPG elements like exp, skill points and minor dialogue choices. The combat isn't as dull as it was in the previous game, but it's still not enough to keep you from falling asleep during some of the longer firefights. The new teammates we recieved were rather uninteresting too, especially when compared to the weirdos we had to put up with in ME2 (Jack, Legion, Mordin, Thane...). On the other hand, Shepard himself seems a little more human and less BA, which is an improvement. Still, in the end the only thing that keeps this game alive is the multiplayer mode, which doesn't get boring quite as soon as one would think. Overall, ME3 is a disappointment, although it could have been worse. Probably. Expand
  89. Jun 17, 2012
    The ending honestly just brought anger and depression. It literally ruined the series it was quite terrible. Bioware let down it's fans on this one.
  90. Jun 16, 2012
    This series is an epic masterpiece, like what Star Wars should have been.

Ignore the haters -- the ending is odd and disappointing, but these people are just freaking out. Probably the same people who do the hate-fest with the whole COD vs BF3 idiocy.
  91. Jun 14, 2012
    How bring any positive opinion about Mass Effect III if we confront the two episodes already out ?
    The first episode is a monument, the second is nice continuation in spite of the game is made of a largest public support.
    the 3th is not a full game, there is no consistent ending, RPG components are missing and the game resume itself being an insipid 3rd person shooter. How pretend to
    How pretend to close like that a mythic triology, it's a real fail. Profit is the leitmotiv.
  92. Jun 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brilliant game.
    I honestly can't really see why people are complaining so much. I've managed to get 45 hours of play out of this game, and I've not even played the multiplayer yet.
    The story is fantastic, the decisions you make DO affect the game and story.
    But yes, the ending was a little lacking, but what did everyone expect? A 20 minute film? It's a game, people. You play games... for the game. Not the cinematics. If you wanted a cinematic, go to the cinema or play Final Fantasy. Oh wait. You slated that for being too cinematic. Make up your minds already.

Honestly, I didn't find these plot holes everyone's been banging on about. The biggest one they talk about is "how come the Normandy and crew got out of there alive!? D:" But it's kind of obvious. They did what they do on every mission in the entire game so far - escape just before everything goes kaboom.
    The crew's just seen Shepard blown to smithereens in a giant death ray. Personally, I'd be running the heck out of there too.
    And when a ginormous space station is about to blow up, Joker does exactly what Shepard told him to do - run the heck out of there instead of trying to go down with the ship.
    So plot hole? Not really. It's just people expecting to have everything spoon-fed to them.

Now on to the "multi-player affects single player" gripe. Personally, I think it's a good thing if multiplayer affects the ending. Otherwise you completely separate the game in multiplayer and single player.

Next, the "Deus Ex Machina" problem people mention, it's not there. Right from the first game they established that the Citadel summoned the Reapers. Which part of that don't people get?
    And then the "but if the justification is to stop the robots rising up... why're the Reapers robots!? D:" well... because they're machines without AI. Seeing as the Geth missions were all compulsory, and explained this plot point, and went through it several times over saying "but what if they rise up and destroy us!?" I'd've hoped people who played the game and didn't just read someone's ill-informed rant would have noticed that that's what the Citadel was trying to stop. And that the Reapers were 1. Organic / synthetics like Shepard, 2. Under the control of the Citadel, and 3. Didn't have an AI to rise up against the Citadel.
    People are also complaining about the day-one DLC that explains "major plot points". For the record - I've played it. Twice. And it doesn't. The character in it essentially says "I'm a soldier, not a scientist. What did you expect me to know? Moron." Everything else in it is already covered elsewhere in the game.

But anyhow. The game has a few problems in it. The mission tracker thing doesn't update which can be really annoying, and the pre-rendered cinematics are of low quality. On the other hand, there are hundreds of side-quests, each with their own micro-story. At the end it would have been nice to have a quick montage of how the final choice affected the galaxy, but otherwise - no need for all the negative reviews. Yes, it's disappointing that there are only really three ways the game can end, and none of them have distinct cinematics at the end, but I played this game for the story and the game play. Not the cinematics.
    The end's half-baked, but does that really warrant 2,000 negative reviews that say "I loved the game. Until the end. Have a 0 Bioware. The game was worse than any I've ever played".

Oh, and the graphics were great. I played ME2 and ME3 back-to-back. There was an improvement. If they weren't good enough for you, buy a proper graphics card and put it on full.
  93. Jun 13, 2012
    it' really cool games, however i agree that some faults are there, but not considerable too much.
    actually i found a discount code for the game, so i thought of a trial. i found its good for the price.
    i purchased this game with twenty dollars discount code found at topincoupons coupon website to use on new egg store.
  94. Jun 12, 2012
    IT WASN'T THAT BAD. The majority of the game is excellent, with certain character deaths really adding to the overall experience of the series (two in particular). The combat is exciting and fluid, the dialogue well written and well voice acted, and some of the choices are deep, and philosophically challenging. Yes, the ending wasn't what we expected, and I'm as annoyed as everyone else,IT WASN'T THAT BAD. The majority of the game is excellent, with certain character deaths really adding to the overall experience of the series (two in particular). The combat is exciting and fluid, the dialogue well written and well voice acted, and some of the choices are deep, and philosophically challenging. Yes, the ending wasn't what we expected, and I'm as annoyed as everyone else, but we can't let 10 minutes ruin a trilogy which we have passed countless well-spent hours playing! Expand
  95. Jun 11, 2012
    This game is a very good game, don't get me wrong. I'm not giving this a 7 out of 10 because of the ending, because I actually liked the ending (but that's because I believe in the Indoctrination theory; if you don't know what the Indoctrination theory is, it's a very plausible theory for the ending of the game), and I enjoyed everything else. The reason why is I'm giving this a 7 isThis game is a very good game, don't get me wrong. I'm not giving this a 7 out of 10 because of the ending, because I actually liked the ending (but that's because I believe in the Indoctrination theory; if you don't know what the Indoctrination theory is, it's a very plausible theory for the ending of the game), and I enjoyed everything else. The reason why is I'm giving this a 7 is because Mass Effect 3 didn't grip me like the others. It didn't suck me into this mass expansive world like Mass Effect 1 did, which I loved. This universe is well put together and I enjoy a good story. Like I've said before, Mass Effect 3 is a extremely well-made game, with enjoyable multiplayer and other elements that make it combine together. It just didn't grip me like the first and second. So I give this a 7 out of 10. Expand
  96. Jun 11, 2012
    The ending is ridiculously bad. Don't even start if you are a Mass Effect fan.. So disappointing.. This game is not RPG, its Action. Do not buy it. once great series, ruined by a once great company. Now both are garbage. Don't buy this. Don't give bioware any money, don't support what they are doing to gaming.
  97. Jun 10, 2012
    I have played both versions 1 and 2 to the end several times over and while I'm only starting chapter 2 on the 3rd game I very much like what I'm seen so far. Based on the huge numbers of negative reviews I came very close to passing this game by, but I'm glad I gave it a try. It is a whole lot better than people have been saying. Good graphics, good crisp game action along with wellI have played both versions 1 and 2 to the end several times over and while I'm only starting chapter 2 on the 3rd game I very much like what I'm seen so far. Based on the huge numbers of negative reviews I came very close to passing this game by, but I'm glad I gave it a try. It is a whole lot better than people have been saying. Good graphics, good crisp game action along with well developed characters and story. The game allows you to import saves from of the prior verisons and the decisions you made in those games play important parts in this game. Over all this is a hybrid action shooter coupled with RPG elements. The Biotic and powers have the role of magic systems in similar games. I've been reading that many folks have had problems with the ending, but I believe the most important thing is if the game is fun to play and does it drag you into the story so you care about the characters, your decisions and the outcome of the war. In fact, the decisions and consequences in this game are much more difficult and far reaching than in the other two, a fact that has caused me to replay missions I'd already won because I couldn't get comfortable with the moral decisions I'd made. Anyway, don't pass this game by you will be sorry. If I had one nit, it is there is not as much DLC for this version, but I hope EA works to put a little more content into the single player instead of focusing most of their work on the MPlayer verision. Expand
  98. Jun 10, 2012
    I have not been a fan of Bioware since the Dragon Age 2 disaster or the ME series. Especially ME 2 with it's nerve wrecking harvesting, story unlikeliness and blank environments had me building up high levels of denial against it.

But i just had to see the ending in ME 3, and i'm glad i did. I regard ME 3 as the best part of the series, it's good enough to compensate for all the flaws and

But i just had to see the ending in ME 3, and i'm glad i did.
    I regard ME 3 as the best part of the series, it's good enough to compensate for all the flaws and drags in the previous 2 parts.
    Few Games today have such high quality and enjoable amount of content. To some minor extent i can even understand the weak last minute DLC ripping.

POSITIVE:
    Believable Story that makes you play along, interesting Dialogs, strong Atmosphere, Gameplay is fun (played as Vanguard), nice and smooth visuals. Good difficulty on normal (being careless get's you killed).

NEUTRAL:
    It does need a few tweaks to get it in shape, check the ME wiki on how to. 6x speed for scenes and walking really can make a difference.
    It's not an RPG and shouldn't be marketed as one.
    Weapons are interesting, but most of the them are pretty much alike. Personally i found myself always coming back to the particle rifle.
    Nothing overly new, just a perfect wrapping up of the universe they created. Some low textures now and then, but nothing really disturbing.

NEGATIVE:
    A few more customization options for armor would have been nice, currently I'd regard them as mainly cosmetic.
    Character relation's were a bit of focus this time.
    It had to end, and i would have preferred a stronger and more personal ending, but honestly i'm ok with it. Large scale problems do call for uncompromising solutions.
  99. Jun 9, 2012
    Gameplay was decent, but overall; this game did not feel as if it was "complete." In the second Mass Effect, there was so much to do and you could TELL Bioware put their hearts and souls into it! But in this game, I don't get that feeling, there was just no depth and the interaction with the characters was disappointing, to say the least, Bioware seems to have forgotten that Liara, GarrusGameplay was decent, but overall; this game did not feel as if it was "complete." In the second Mass Effect, there was so much to do and you could TELL Bioware put their hearts and souls into it! But in this game, I don't get that feeling, there was just no depth and the interaction with the characters was disappointing, to say the least, Bioware seems to have forgotten that Liara, Garrus and Tali aren't the only characters in the game. This game seemed to be around 65% complete and the lack of detail is unacceptable for a Bioware game. Expand
  100. Jun 8, 2012
    There is nothing wrong with creative freedom, as long as you don't get "creative" when you describe a product. After all false statements in advertisements used to deceive the customers and generate more sales isn't considered artistic integrity, it is called fraud. Bioware spent months to explain that in Mass Effect 3 our choices will shape the world, and as they don't plan to continueThere is nothing wrong with creative freedom, as long as you don't get "creative" when you describe a product. After all false statements in advertisements used to deceive the customers and generate more sales isn't considered artistic integrity, it is called fraud. Bioware spent months to explain that in Mass Effect 3 our choices will shape the world, and as they don't plan to continue the story, we can get very different endings. The world can be very very different based on our choices. In the end, our choices didn't matter.

Lack of choice and strange ending alone wouldn't be a problem. After all we know stories of games can't be perfect and the last 3 minutes aren't that important. We are free to imagine any different ending as the story won't continue. Who cares? And the game was fun until that point. The problem is: The game was a let down, because Bioware lied to us, deceived us. And after a huge let down, players can be disappointed and it can turn the gameplay experience sour and can remove any replay value. This feeling isn't here for 5 minutes at end, it is here the whole time we try to replay the game, would try our luck in multiplayer, etc. As long as EA doesn't understand that we buy games because we want to have fun, and being angry at a publisher and feeling anger whenever you see an EA game can ruin the fun. If you ignore what Bioware has promised, buy the game now, it won't be a disappointment. But otherwise even good graphics, entertianing gameplay, etc. wouldn't redeem the issue about ending and forced multiplayer farming. So the game doesn't deserve a "Better than mixed" rating. Because even if I would love graphics, character customization, gameplay, story, etc. the let down at the end can sour it all.
  101. Apr 3, 2012
    Let's be honest, Mass Effect Three was a pretty damn good game. However, I will admit two was a little bit better in my opinion. Mass Effect three strayed a bit from the RPG elements and went into TPS mode. Despite all of this though, I don't think it deserves the 1,642 negative ratings it got. I mean, the endings sucked and it was filled with plot holes and didn't make any sense. But ILet's be honest, Mass Effect Three was a pretty damn good game. However, I will admit two was a little bit better in my opinion. Mass Effect three strayed a bit from the RPG elements and went into TPS mode. Despite all of this though, I don't think it deserves the 1,642 negative ratings it got. I mean, the endings sucked and it was filled with plot holes and didn't make any sense. But I don't believe a game should be rated only by its ending.

In conclusion, I believe Mass Effect Three deserves an 8 out of 10. Hopefully they'll release a DLC fixing their mistakes.

1. Apr 11, 2012