5.3

1. Apr 29, 2012
    To start off I have -1 point due to the lack of narrative coherence at the end (a few changes would be welcome to help erase the lack of closure and finality with descent reasoning). OK now I have been holding back for quite a while to write an informed review about Mass Effect 3 in its entirety. I have finished every mission, every side quest and all of the romance options (including maleTo start off I have -1 point due to the lack of narrative coherence at the end (a few changes would be welcome to help erase the lack of closure and finality with descent reasoning). OK now I have been holding back for quite a while to write an informed review about Mass Effect 3 in its entirety. I have finished every mission, every side quest and all of the romance options (including male Shepard and Cortez) apart from one as I did not want to play all three games again for Kaidan. Now I was extremely saddened by the ending but not a disappointed sadness, a sadness that stems from watching my character grow from the beginning till the end, the music accompanied by all of his actions and his selflessness truly struck a soft-spot in my blood soaked, bullet ridden game favoring heart. I did not for one moment desire the ending to be different, the ending provided a truly satisfying if not a little sad close to a game that has spanned several years and three games. The combat worked, there are fewer team-usable characters than the previous games but this is not a hindrance, many of the previous qualms in the galaxy can be resolved or deepened by your characters actions, many forms of galactic closure can be achieved via the right actions all of which I found perfect (Geth, Quarians, Krogen, etc). Many people are dissatisfied by the endings but I suspect they have not dedicated themselves to the game and played enough to warrant suitable endings. Now the multi-player does affect the single player campaign and ending to a degree. The multi-player adds to the Galactic Readiness Rating which affect single player Readiness that affect the campaign. It is not necessary to play but means that playing it mean less single player items need to be fulfilled to get certain endings. Again I found it very enjoyable to play the multi-player in between campaign missions. The unlocks are very appropriate, not to unbalanced, and has room for many combat styles and strategies. I have certainly had closure, it is a shame others have slammed it to the point of worthlessness. As Bioware are adding a extended ending I am curious as to what it is and hope it does not add purely to satisfy a few closed minded individuals. As with the previous two games I highly recommend playing the First Second and this game. Expand
  2. Mar 16, 2012
    The game is absolutely top notch until the ending is reached and you're presented with 3 choices. 3 choices which completely dismiss any decisions you've made prior in any of the 3 games. There are 3 ending scenes with no closure and a convoluted, out of character plot which disregard the franchises key themes. This destroys any motivation you may have to replay this game-or any of theThe game is absolutely top notch until the ending is reached and you're presented with 3 choices. 3 choices which completely dismiss any decisions you've made prior in any of the 3 games. There are 3 ending scenes with no closure and a convoluted, out of character plot which disregard the franchises key themes. This destroys any motivation you may have to replay this game-or any of the other ME games. Expand
  3. Feb 14, 2013
    Well. We already know everyone hated the end. Okay, okay, the end is not exciting, but forget about the end, this game is great. End the trilogy in amazing way. The game is short comparing to 1 and 2, that's the only problem. And it's kind linear too. Anyway, it's a closing game, and because of that its great. have the flaws, but yet one of the best experience in 2012. And for being one ofWell. We already know everyone hated the end. Okay, okay, the end is not exciting, but forget about the end, this game is great. End the trilogy in amazing way. The game is short comparing to 1 and 2, that's the only problem. And it's kind linear too. Anyway, it's a closing game, and because of that its great. have the flaws, but yet one of the best experience in 2012. And for being one of the best trilogy ever, deserves a 10 points. I'm expecting games like ME soon, it touched my soul. I miss this games. Expand
  4. Mar 11, 2012
    While I loved the first two ME games, I just can't get behind the third.

While I loved the first two ME games, I just can't get behind the third.

It seems like for every positive change that has been made, 3 or 4 bad ones have been added as well. For example, while there is finally a good reason to play a soldier rather than an adept which in my opinion was by far the best class in the first two, there are now a few 'features' that I despise. Forced multiplayer is a massive disappointment to me. I know it can be argued that it's not actually forced since the game can be played from start to finish is true, but multiplayer having *any* effect on gameplay or story is a big disappointment. This game had absolutely no need to shoehorn in multiplayer, but it's now being billed as a 'feature'.

This leads nicely into my second complaint which is that this so called bonus in the form of multiplayer makes EA feel justified in charging for day one DLC in 'from ashes'. This makes me feel mugged that even after a preorder you can't get the whole darn game on launch day. I like how these days a preorder edition means you'll still need to buy an expansion pack on day one to have the whole game. My third gripe is this business with Origin being a requirement to play the game. The corporate shills at EA are setting up a competing service to steam, all right, fair enough but sleazy statements such as "We believe in absolute freedom of choice to allow customers to buy through whatever retail outlet... as long as they're buying an EA game, we're delighted," show they don't respect their customers when they turn around and pull their games from the most popular digital download services. EA claims they did this same thing with Crysis 2 because the DLC was not available for purchase on steam.... This ticks me off a lot since the DLC for ME2 was so well hidden I spent 45 minutes trying to buy 'the arrival' on their awful maze of websites that I *was glad* valve will now be forcing publishers to make DLC available through steam. I've had quite enough of EA's awful DLC distribution methods in the past and am not looking forward to finding out if this time will be any better.

So in summary - an allright game, seriously marred by both technical own goals (forcing extra software to be installed), sleazy marketing, greedy day one DLC, and a general aura of disrespect to the community.

I loved ME1 and ME2, but ME3 leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
  5. Mar 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. With regard to the ending, I completely agree Ross Lincoln on Gamefronts article called Mass Effect 3 Ending-Hatred: 5 Reasons The Fans Are Right. It is a fantastic article and the only negative comment from an established media site I have yet seen.

The many hours prior to the final one are really very enjoyable. I was close to completing everything in the game on the first play through that was available, barring a few non-combat side quests.

The combat remains the same as ME2 but sped up a great deal. The cover system remains quite clunky where you sometimes get in cover, sometimes just do a diving roll against a wall and stand up again but it is not that bigger deal. You will probably only die by going too far ahead too quickly and getting flanked, where due to the very rigid but effective combat system you are reliant on enemies being in only one direction.

The acting, story and missions are everything you would expect from the series, which to me means a high standard. Legion and Thaneâ
  6. Mar 6, 2012
    personally I have no problem with gays, my problem with this game mainly is writing, its a bad story, with bad dialogue, and overall bad gameplay and graphics
  7. euu
    Mar 7, 2012
    This game is just okay. It's not going to blow your mind , it's not going to revolutionize gaming; it's just a decent third person shooter with RPG elements that concludes a very overrated series. I don't understand how people who were drooling over Mass Effect 2 a while ago are giving this game so many negative scores. It's almost the same game, in fact I think Mass Effect 3 is a littleThis game is just okay. It's not going to blow your mind , it's not going to revolutionize gaming; it's just a decent third person shooter with RPG elements that concludes a very overrated series. I don't understand how people who were drooling over Mass Effect 2 a while ago are giving this game so many negative scores. It's almost the same game, in fact I think Mass Effect 3 is a little better than its predecessor. More customization options have been added in the game, there is a main story this time, you are not just doing boring tasks for your team members and the amount of time you spend scanning planets has been reduced. Compared to other games released this year, Mass Effect 3 is not bad, but as a story driven action RPG it doesn't hold a candle to games like The Witcher 2 and Deus Ex:Human Revolutions. Expand
  8. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love this game! Mass Effect 3!
    I enjoyed ME2 a lot. I haven't played ME1. Its too outdated graphics looking old game. ME3 has a good solid story and RPG ish elements. I like the combat system a lot with the power abilities. Many classes.
    I love Garrus
  9. Mar 11, 2012
    Mass effect 3 is a really good game, the story is written very well.
    the ending is a drawback though. the day one DLC is also a problem, because its should have in game.
    but all together mass effect 3 have a lot to offer including a multiplayer mod which is pretty good if I do say so myself - and I do.
  10. Jan 4, 2013
    came back after playing the extended cut, which was just another lame failure by bioware, what a complete sellout, a crock of crap , what the hell happened to hudson, he killed the franchise leaving former founders to quit. says it all really, casey hudson ruined mass effect period.
  11. Mar 21, 2012
    Just echoing what I'm sure many others have said. The game itself is OK. It's not nearly the 10 that bought off critics seem to be giving it. It's simply a mediocre shooter with above average dialogue. But. The ending. Not only is it amazingly bad, but in order to make it even slightly less **** you'd have to grind at the horde-mode multi-player. In a single-player game. Boycotting BiowareJust echoing what I'm sure many others have said. The game itself is OK. It's not nearly the 10 that bought off critics seem to be giving it. It's simply a mediocre shooter with above average dialogue. But. The ending. Not only is it amazingly bad, but in order to make it even slightly less **** you'd have to grind at the horde-mode multi-player. In a single-player game. Boycotting Bioware from now on. Expand
  12. Apr 8, 2012
    The Mass Effect trilogy was great, many great moments in Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2. I know a lot of people loved 2 but it was a step away from what made ME1 so great. Mass Effect 1 was an RPG with inventory management, gear options in the field, looting and so on. The story was stellar, all the characters came off well. It was a well rounded and near perfect game. Mass Effect 2The Mass Effect trilogy was great, many great moments in Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2. I know a lot of people loved 2 but it was a step away from what made ME1 so great. Mass Effect 1 was an RPG with inventory management, gear options in the field, looting and so on. The story was stellar, all the characters came off well. It was a well rounded and near perfect game. Mass Effect 2 simplified it, no more inventory, no more gear changes in the field, little to no inventory management, but the story was just a titch under how great ME1 was. ME2 was bit harder to get into and took 2 playthrus to start making sense to me. There was no distinguishable bad guy and over 70% of the games storyline was just gaining the loyalty of your squadmates which only 2 came from the previous game. The bad guy you do find out in the end, but I missed it the first time around. The games combat mechanics and exploration were nothing like ME1. ME1 had cover but it was not Gears of War cover which it became in ME2 and ME3, the exploration in 1 was great imo, but the vehicle to explore in did not work well with the terrain they gave you to explore. I wish they would have kept open worlds and open world quests like ME1 so exploration was a part of ME2, but the simplified it for "new customers." ME2 still was good, but with so much removed from gameplay it was hard to swallow. No spoilers but if you play ME1 then 2 you will see they retconned Shepherd into a bad situation for 2. It ended up working out though after a few playthrus.
    Now to ME3. So much was built up for this game. Anyone who played Shepherd was expecting a grand finale with challenges and all the choices you made to matter. The choices you made from ME1 thru ME3 are just a number which grants you only 1 second extra on one of the 3 endings. The 3 endings are near identical in everyway except the 1 second cutscene at the end of the Red Ending. There is also the other 2 endings, Blue and Green. No matter what you do, you get this one ending that comes in 3 colors and in the Red one you can get 1 second extra with a high enough score. Nothing you did showed up in the cutscenes for the end game which should have been bare minimum. The endings in my opinion turn the main Character into the worst villain in history rather than send him off like a hero. It is ok to kill the main character in story like Mass Effect 3 and in fact he could have died in ME2, but to send him off as horrible person even if you played the good guy options through was unforgivable and it kills the entire experience.
    This review is based on Mass Effect 3, not the whole series. The reason I gave it a 4 is that it is the same combat system as 2, add in Weight which reduces your ability times the more you carry, but still no inventory, no in field changes, once you leave your ship you got what you got, also all exploration is gone, everything is level based now. The game is a Gears of War cover shooter clone.
    It is not plausible that you did all that you did in such a short time in the story. Leaving Earth and going out to get resources and items to come back and based on advertisement, "Retake Earth." This is not an option based on the current endings though so the avert is basically just smoke and mirrors. Nothing new is added to gameplay, choices are removed from dialogue, no more neutral options, its jerk or good-two-shoes Roleplay, nothing in between.
    The whole great trilogy was awesome, but the last 10 minutes of Mass Effect 3 makes you feel like crap. The last 10 minutes invalidates everything you accomplished throughout 1, 2 and even 3. Now some would say, "it's the journey," "not the destination." That is not the case in ME3, everything fit together at least on a base level, the story remained the same throughout even with the RPG element removal, then all of a sudden a different story starts, plot holes are thrown at you, new characters are introduced, people are hoping for "the dream ending," and all the choice you had before is now removed. One never seen before character at the end forces you into Red, Blue, Green options even though the protagonist would never listen to this new character ever before.
    The producers told us no A, B, C endings, but that is what they gave us. Mass Effect Series rating prior to ME3 = 9 out 10, after 5 out of 10 considering all 3 games, due to fond memories of 1 and 2, but realizing they meant nothing and are not the same game/story as 3. I did not think you could ruin such a good story even with a bad idea, but Bioware actually found a way to pick exactly the opposite of everything they did before.

I sure hope Bioware gets back to its roots someday and remakes ME3 into the game they promised. Only if they could get away from EA.
  13. Mar 22, 2013
    Mass of Duty 3: console edition! Now available for your PC! Buy now to experience horrible Xbox 360 graphics, low fov and poor controls! Buy now and get a weak ending for free! Buy now and buy dlc later! 0/10 for this garbage.
  14. Jul 3, 2013
    Best Game series out there, great story and better and better gameplay for each game that tops in Mass Effect 3

Abilities on different carracters that can be used in combination with each others, gameplay that makes you want to play just to play. A awesome story with characters you build a great personal relationship to, great laughs and great sorrows, that makes you go 35-45hours straight skipping work/school and forgetting to eat and sleep.

Sadly people cant seem to review the game as a whole and focus on the ending that could be better, but even with the endings there is very little to put a finger on as a whole.
    Still it not even that bad a ending, just not how people want it to end making them butthurt, that they dont get a sugar sweet ending.

I read trough afew critics in the "red" and alot of the stuff i just cant reconize from my playtroughs.
    Some state the exact opposite(Lies? but why?) of how the game works, some state the character acting and story is bad, even though i think both tops even the top end movies we have on the market today.

This game made me play the ME1 and ME2 several times over to get the different coices and i have 5-7 playtroughs of the ME3 game itself, and besides that the surprisingly good Multiplayer i used a good 1000hours om itself.

This game has been worth every penny!
  15. Aug 9, 2013
    4.8 as a user score just because the ending was disappointing. I can't believe people are saying the last 10 minutes ruined the entire game for them. I wonder what the user score would be if this game had a good ending. I'm glad Bioware released the Extended Cut; if they didn't my score would be a bit lower. This was a stellar sequel and all the ones and twos out of 10 are just immature.4.8 as a user score just because the ending was disappointing. I can't believe people are saying the last 10 minutes ruined the entire game for them. I wonder what the user score would be if this game had a good ending. I'm glad Bioware released the Extended Cut; if they didn't my score would be a bit lower. This was a stellar sequel and all the ones and twos out of 10 are just immature. As a long time gamer I'm used to disappointing endings; its a common weakness in video game storytelling. Nevertheless an amazing title on Bioware's part, it still gave us a stellar story and characters. So they incorporated more action and gameplay elements? Get over it. Video games aren't supposed to be interactive movies. Expand
  16. Jul 5, 2014
    mass effect 3 is just amazing the gameplay is just a blast one of my favorite stories but the characters aren't the best and the ending wasn't as good as anybody hoped overall amazing game with few flaws
  17. Oct 20, 2014
    When i firstly played this title i was completely disapointed. i was coming from the extremely good environment of ME2 to the poor and unstable environment of ME3. The transition was very hard. As the time was passing by i started getting used of it and in the last 3 months i started enjoying it.

Really i enjoyed the battles but i really hated the cut scenes, although i love the story of mass effect the cut scenes was so poor.

Finally the game is not so well made like its predecessors, i hope ME4 to be a better game cause i want to return to this franchise.
  18. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 ... I'm left with the same feeling as I was with DA2. How could they take such an excellent franchise and butcher it so. Disfigured and lolling in any sensory depth of story telling. Bioware have really sold out to they're paymasters on this one for what seems nothing more than a quick cash in on what would of wrapped all those hours ... no days; of choices, heart acheMass Effect 3 ... I'm left with the same feeling as I was with DA2. How could they take such an excellent franchise and butcher it so. Disfigured and lolling in any sensory depth of story telling. Bioware have really sold out to they're paymasters on this one for what seems nothing more than a quick cash in on what would of wrapped all those hours ... no days; of choices, heart ache on Tali or Liara, keeping Wrex in check all to culminate into .. this ... "This" ... monstrosity, Thank you Bioware, for the years of great games, characters and story telling, You are sorely missed;. Expand
  19. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i've had some time to reflect and punch a few holes in the wall to get my frustration out and i think i'm ready to put into words how i feel 24 hours after the "good" ending in mass effect 3

to start, my RI was Tali. once i killed the reaper on ranoch i opted to upload the reaper code to the geth via legion. despite tali not wanting me to, i felt this was the best course of action for her, her people, the galaxy, and even the geth. i was able to talk the fleet out of counter attacking the geth while the code was being uploaded and tali still loves me. whew. this got me thinking however, what if my paragon was too low and the quarians did attack the geth. what would happen? i pulled up youtube to find out.

this was the most moving and emotional punch in the gut i've ever seen in a video game. assuming this had happened in my playthrough, i'd have been devastated. moments earlier tali told me she loved me and i have just wiped out her entire people. heartbroken, she jumps over the edge. thought i was going to cry.

where the hell was this level of emotion and effort in the ****ing end game bioware? as far as voice acting/ performance go, the quarians being wiped out and tali dying was so difficult to watch, yet so well done, i was completely blown away. that level of devastation and pain should've been put into the endgame and i don't know if i can ever forgive bioware for it. they took maybe the greatest game ever made, at least for me, and complelty half assed the last 5 minutes.

now, i'll be clear, i wanted a happy ending, but if that's not how it was going to be then fine. i'll get over it. but to do it the way that they did, i, just, uuuuughhh. ......
  20. Nov 15, 2012
    Re-reviewing the game based on the Extended Cut and Leviathan DLC. These two single player additions as well as a couple weapon packs and free multiplayer add-ons have really won me over. I was a skeptic at first, having gone through the game for a third time, I am reminded as to why I love the series so much. I cannot wait for the Omega DLC.

The multiplayer aspect is really well

The multiplayer aspect is really well done and extremely addicting, the new achievement system is fantastic.
  21. May 16, 2012
    Let's ignore the ending here, because I guess anyone reading this review now either already knows about it, or doesnt want to.

Truth be told, its a good game. Playing it I felt the tech had been improved enough to fix immersion in some areas without completely overhauling a system we had been used to since ME 1. That said, the story line was a little lack lustre and I didnt feel it was

That said, the story line was a little lack lustre and I didnt feel it was quite as gripping as the franchises earlier installments.

Dont get me wrong, there are a few moments that are truely and magnificently choreographed and will reduce most gamers to tears, but they are few and far between. Mostly however, I found that once again I felt like all my previous efforts had been ignored and for the 3rd time I had manic rush to collect my companions... again.... make them like me... again... and then actually get on with dealing with what was left of the main campaign. The multiplayer experience, for me has been where the game has demonstrated its real staying power. Taking a couple of key areas from the game (and with some later DLC a few new custom ones too) you and a group of up to 3 friends are pitted against AI opponents in a king of the hill style beat down, with assorted minimissions to keep things interesting. Even after clearing my 100% readiness for the end game of the single player campaign, I've found myself coming back to multiplayer because it is nice, casual friendly, fun.

Mass Effect 3 is certainly worth a look if you have the money and time available to try it. Players opinions are very divided on the endgame thing.... personally I like where they went with the endgame, I just didnt like how it was presented to the player.. Your opinion will undoubtedly vary..

I'm not commander shepard, but this has definitely been my favorite multiplayer game on my pc for the past few weeks.
  22. Mar 7, 2012
    Did you like mass effect 1 with its far reaching decisions or building the ultimate team of badasses in mass effect 2? I did, and was led to believe that my decisions in mass effect 1 and 2 would have implications in mass effect 3. Guess what? They dont. Have you ever wondered what would happen if an excellent cover shooter like Uncharted or Gears of War had been developed by a bunch ofDid you like mass effect 1 with its far reaching decisions or building the ultimate team of badasses in mass effect 2? I did, and was led to believe that my decisions in mass effect 1 and 2 would have implications in mass effect 3. Guess what? They dont. Have you ever wondered what would happen if an excellent cover shooter like Uncharted or Gears of War had been developed by a bunch of retards? If so, this is the game for you. The gameplay is absolutely effing atrocious. For all the money that went into this game, it feels like it was programmed by Andre the Giant slamming his spastic head on the keyboard. One button serves about 18 different purposes meaning you will die a lot. The hardest difficulty setting is too easy. The gameplay also applies to the multiplayer. Bioware decided that you can only get the best ending if you sink A LOT of hours into the multiplayer. This is them really taking the piss because the cover shooting (gone is the RPG elements, meaningful conversations and minigames from the first two games) is crap. The graphics... Everything has been purposefully darkened to hide the fuzzy details on a visual engine that is now aging very badly. The graphics will not blow you away but neither will they disgust you. They are very average. Nothing special. Remember how you could be a paragon or a renegade? That was good, wasnt it? Bioware got rid of them both now to the point where they are utterly indivisible from each other. This game is disgusting. I am very glad I rented it. Make sure you buy it used. Notice how all the professional reviewers are giving it 10/10? Also note that EA and Bioware are advertising heavily on their front pages. These reviewers are all bought and paid for. The one thing in this game I thought might be cool was that Jessica Chobot was in it. I was hoping I would be able to gun her down like the **** mutt she is but you cant even do that either. I hope Jessica Chobot gets eye cancer, aids or both. She is a talentless hack with a push up bra. Her being in this is a gimmick and that sums up this game. A bunch of failed gimmicks. Because this game has no redeeming features whatsoever, I am voting it a zero. Expand
  23. Mar 18, 2012
    i wrote a review before finalizing the game. unfortunately the game ending as it stands ruins everything. dont play/buy it until it gets fixed. the writes somehow thought it would be cool to change a (Great) mainstream popcorn emotional decision driven action-rpg to a linear pace ending with three "pick your color" option endings (completely meaningless) trying to move to "art" and noti wrote a review before finalizing the game. unfortunately the game ending as it stands ruins everything. dont play/buy it until it gets fixed. the writes somehow thought it would be cool to change a (Great) mainstream popcorn emotional decision driven action-rpg to a linear pace ending with three "pick your color" option endings (completely meaningless) trying to move to "art" and not closing anything.
    its very unsatisfactory and dumb. AVOID.
  24. Mar 10, 2012
    Just in a few words: this game was killed by crappy ending.. I like everything in this game, from the beginnig and up to the end. Awesome cut scenes, good writing, interesting plot-everything we loved in previous games of this series. Also, graphics and combat system were improved. It's very dynamic and spectacular. Everything was alright.. until the ending. It kills not only this game.Just in a few words: this game was killed by crappy ending.. I like everything in this game, from the beginnig and up to the end. Awesome cut scenes, good writing, interesting plot-everything we loved in previous games of this series. Also, graphics and combat system were improved. It's very dynamic and spectacular. Everything was alright.. until the ending. It kills not only this game. It kills every game of the series at all. It kills every decision i've done from the first part. I didn't expected to see happy end, it would be too naive, but i didn't expected to see THIS! (Despite the fact that i had the best ending). Every ending is awful, i saw it on youtube. I was a biggest fan of BioWare.. Until now. Go to hell, Mass Effect 3, you made me cry.. Expand
  25. Mar 14, 2012
    10 for all of the game up until the ending. 1 for the ending. Bioware managed to destroy 100+ hours of great gameplay across all 3 parts of the trilogy with last 10 minutes of the game. Impressive achievement, but I don't like it.

The game is awesome in every aspect up until the very end. Don't know why Bioware did this but they did. They killed DA franchise with DA2 and now this.

They killed DA franchise with DA2 and now this. Not pre-ordering any Bioware game. Will wait until reviews come in.
  26. Mar 28, 2012
    What a sh**y ending. No chance of a good ending, even if you have make only correct choices over all 3 games. Bioware has lost all his skills. First gameplay and now storytelling. Nothing more is left of a once great development studio.
  27. Mar 23, 2012
    With better combat (fighting Cerberus), some animation & overall graphic improvements over the 1st two games and writing that seemed to salvage the plot from ME2s' I honestly thought this was going to be an end worthy of my love for the franchise. Sadly it seems more like the dev team ran flat out of good ideas or time about 3/4 of the way through. While the artwork, effects and generalWith better combat (fighting Cerberus), some animation & overall graphic improvements over the 1st two games and writing that seemed to salvage the plot from ME2s' I honestly thought this was going to be an end worthy of my love for the franchise. Sadly it seems more like the dev team ran flat out of good ideas or time about 3/4 of the way through. While the artwork, effects and general aesthetics were better than the first two games, it looked as if the same textures were used from console versions of Mass Effect 3. The multi-player should not have even made it in to the game & the day one DLC (which I did purchase) felt like a ten dollar soak. Add to this the gruelling last couple of hours playing up to a non-sense ending and I felt as if I would have been better off waiting to play till I could buy "the real ending" Expand
  28. May 18, 2012
    This is the score the game actually deserves. Now before you down-vote me, you will find if you average around the fifty + critic scores the game received it would be around the 89-93 area. Take off the moronic user score feature metacritic, it is used as a tool by a bunch of forum trolls and butthurt fanboys who really have no clue how to review a game. Of course this review will beThis is the score the game actually deserves. Now before you down-vote me, you will find if you average around the fifty + critic scores the game received it would be around the 89-93 area. Take off the moronic user score feature metacritic, it is used as a tool by a bunch of forum trolls and butthurt fanboys who really have no clue how to review a game. Of course this review will be down-voted by them, and I'll probably be called a "suck up" to the gaming media, but let's look at the facts first. High expectations almost always lead to disappointment, and those who have insanely high expectations will always be disappointed. This is why when you look at a game objectively, or rather as it is, instead of what you wanted it to be, you would find that it truly is a good game. Whether you disagreed with the ending or had problems because you "Felt" that the choices you made in the previous installments weren't reflected enough, it really doesn't matter. It's no reason to give this game a score below 7, and the fact that this game is rated a 3.9 is really quite pathetic. To even think that this game is only worth a "3.9" you would have to be some grumpy old man living in some old folks home or some kid who stays in his room all day, has no friends and doesn't know how to enjoy quality entertainment. The decisions you made in the previous games do reflect in this one, and yes they matter. Characters that die in ME2 wont be around, characters you saved in ME1 do make an appearance and yes your choices DID have reflect in ME3. Name a game that carries the choices you made from game to game on the same level mass effect has? You cant, there is only stand alone games with choices like the witcher 2, but what game from sequel to sequel to sequel does what the ME series has?. The fact people cry because they feel that their choices never meant anything is LAUGHABLE seeing as how they have nothing to compare it to. Give mass effect some credit, it has done a pretty damned good job. The ending to the series is fine, and honestly it really doesn't matter what bioware did people would have cried and crapped their pants. Everybody has a different idea of how it should have "ended" Bioware cant possibly meet everybody's expectations. The gameplay was much improved from the previous two, they added in some more RPG elements, still not as robust as ME1 but pretty close with the talent choices, weapon mods and tons of armor and loot to find. Mass effect 3 is a good game that sold well and that the majority of people enjoyed playing, don't listen to the vocal minority of idiots on here who probably pirated the game or never even played it at all and are just jumping on the hate bandwagon to hate the game like it's some "fad" to do so or makes them "cool and different" Stfu, sit down and enjoy the game. End of story. and....advice to metacritic......implement a system where people need to enter the serial code of the game they bought in order to actually review it. See how many of these idiots are still around after that......you wont find many. Expand
  29. May 9, 2012
    Game of my Life!!!
    I just finished it.
    NO SPOILERS, don't worry :) I invested around 50+ hours in the game, done every side-quest, had nearly all the dialogs = I tried to extract as much as possible from the game. I was playing an imported character from ME2, which was imported from ME1. People, listen!!! There is no problem with the story or the ending!! It is consistent, it is even
    Game of my Life!!!
    I just finished it.
    NO SPOILERS, don't worry :)
    I was playing an imported character from ME2, which was imported from ME1.
    People, listen!!! There is no problem with the story or the ending!! It is consistent, it is even logical, and it has a huge moral and emotional impact (as does the story).
    My decisions from ME1 and ME2 were reflected in ME3. I wouldn't say that they completely changed the flow of the game, but they Had An Effect. A Mass Effect:))
    The game is brilliant!! It is better and bigger in every sense than ME1 or ME2.
    The story is larger, the game is more focused on essence, better graphics, good acting / voice acting, LOTS OF CHOICES and ways to play, and even the combat system and the multiplayer is enjoyable.
    About the ending (WITHOUT SPOILERS): you need to have a LOT of War Assets, and a correct Galactic Readiness level. Thats it. ...for the latter you need a legal copy of the game to be able to play online multiplayer, to increase the Galactic Readiness level from 50% to 100%.
    BUT: I could finish the game with a logical, and effectively POSITIVE ENDING with only 53% Galactic Readiness. ...but for that I needed to collect almost all War Assets throughout the game. ...so if you find less, then increase you Galactic Readiness, and then the end of the game won't be a guaranteed defeat, then you may have a POSITIVE ENDING!!!
    ...but you need to invest energy into it.
    This game has TONS to offer. The story is wonderful in my opinion. There are great thoughts scattered all around the plot. ...without spoilers it would be hard to mention any, so I need to stay silent about that now, but, hell it was a FANTASTIC GAME, and I am soooo sorry, that it was over yesterday night. ...it was long, very long (especially doing every possible side-quest, talking to everyone, etc.), but I could play it for even longer.
    So, considering this, the sheer size of the game, all the content, all the value (which is also Artistic value = Art), I would say that it was absolutely easy for me to forget about the small glitches here-and-there. See: the game was stable like a rock. BUT: here-and-there there were small animation glitches, and even minimal (far from game-breaking) quest-glitches, one or two at most from the latter.
    At the beginning the game is like a tutorial. A bit linear. For newcomers. OK. ...but then, be patient, and it will expand!! 3rd, 4th, 5th mission, and you'll see!! Just give it time. ...if you put this investment into this game, it will reward you with even more!! ...if you like science fiction, RPG and FPS, and all that.
    For me this was one of the best games of my life.
    It is TRULY MAGNIFICENT!!!
    ...but to be able to get that all, I'd strongly suggest you to play ME1 and ME2 __WITH ALL DLCs__!!!
    The game is constantly referring to ME1 and ME2 with all the DLCs (until "The Arrival" for ME2).
    But they are also great, so I'd suggest you to play it all BEFORE starting ME3.
    THEN all your investment will be rewarded. Money, time and energy - I promise.
    For me it did it.
    I wish if only BioWare (or any other company) would take the time and energy and ambition to make such GRAND GAMES in the future!!!
    Mass Effect 3 is SIMPLY EPIC.
    Nothing more to say.
    Shepard out.
    :))))))
    P.S.: About myself shortly: I am 34 years old, playing computer games for the last 30 years, even now, as a university teacher (I teach informatics and AI at my University).
  30. Apr 14, 2012
    It's hard to know where to begin with this game. First, prerequisites: ideally you'll play ME1 and ME2 first. The default FOV (field of view) is terribly narrow but you can alter the config files to fix it (google "qscribble fov"). And the game is not designed for stereoscopic 3D vision but fans have hacked it, so it can look great in 3D. I played the game this way on a 10-foot projectorIt's hard to know where to begin with this game. First, prerequisites: ideally you'll play ME1 and ME2 first. The default FOV (field of view) is terribly narrow but you can alter the config files to fix it (google "qscribble fov"). And the game is not designed for stereoscopic 3D vision but fans have hacked it, so it can look great in 3D. I played the game this way on a 10-foot projector screen which makes the whole experience pretty sweet. NOW, it's true what everyone says, the ending is all screwed up (google "5 reasons the fans are right" for spoilers). Luckily, since you know it's screwed up, at least you can prepare for the disappointment in advance. But right up until the ending, ME3 is great. It's fun, production values are high, it contains some momentous choices. Best of all, it respects all the major choices and consequences from ME1 and ME2. Wrex (whom you could have killed) plays a solid role, there is a mission for the Rachni (who you could have wiped out), and there are cameos or better for most of your old crew (any of whom might have died in ME2), and the dialogue sometimes mentions things you did in earlier games. You can find faults if you look, like Cerberus suddenly becoming extremely powerful, the decrease in dialogue options compared to ME1 and ME2, etc., but it wasn't a big problem to me. Bottom line: while I hope the low user scores prompt Bioware to alter the ending, ME3 doesn't deserve a low score. The game is still worth buying if you enjoyed ME2. It's less RPG-like and more shooter-like, but whether that's good or bad depends on who you are. And you might want to wait for the improved ending DLC. I would give this game 10/10 if not for the dumb ending, low FOV, the failure to import my ME2 face, and the obnoxious "Origin" software (you are not allowed to install ME3 from disk until after you install Origin, sign up for an online account and download updates; and they say that if you buy DLC, you can't start single-player without an internet connection!) Expand
  31. Mar 9, 2012
    Does not let me import my legal character of ME2 (it was also my character on ME1). It force me to install Steam like software with nearly no content. I've unsintalled both and lost 80$. Thx EA, next time I'll try to pirate your game before buying it.
  32. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is a lot of hate blowing over on many forums and here about several aspects of ME3 and some of them are well founded but others are immature whining. Despite all of this I still give ME3 a 9/10 because the issues surrounding the game account for so little in comparison to the entire game and I have an objective and not emotional perspective.

Anyway now for my review. I will break it down by area.

Gameplay: 8
    The gameplay is pretty good. There are plenty of ammo resupply locations and even though a bit clunky the new movement system is pretty cool. It allows for a much more visceral combat style as enemies can use real tactics and maneuvers to out flank you or dodge attacks.

I thought that the AI was improved overall from both of the previous games, Regular was much harder then it's ME2 counter part, however I cannot make a full distinction on this till I play a new game + because you get access to higher level upgrades.

The level design is good and bad at times but it is awesome where it counts. In the special missions relating to significant story locations the mapping is top notch as always. In side missions though there are some places where the mapping could be better.

There are a crap ton, literally, of weapons, armor, and mods in ME3 and it really does evoke ME1's massive arsenal. All of the weapons from ME2, DLC as well, are present as well as many entirely new weapons. We have many more armor and color choices and suits from ME2 also make a come back as well. All of the ME2 stuff you have to buy through the citadel though, for at least 45k. Specter Gear makes it;s way back home as well and those are even more expensive.

The weapon weight thing is a non-issue toward the later end of the game because you can upgrade your weight, certain weapons have mods that make them weigh much less, and upgrades/team abilities can be used to counteract the increased cool down. I was able to carry one of each weapon with only a 125% cool down increase in the final mission when taking Garrus and Tali along.

Story: 7
    The reason this is rated as low as it is, is because of the endings. In each case the same thing happens in general while what happens specifically to Shepard changes. This is lazy story writing imo but that does not make the endings bad. I actually am glad there is no "happy" ending. No happy ending could possible come about in Shepard's Saga. Too much has had to be sacrificed, too many lives lost, and too much ius at stake to justify Shepard gettingout of this with only a scratch or two. In my opinion even letting him live was VERY generous of Bioware. Shepard is not a god, not a legend; he is just a man, another marine fighting to protect what's his.

However they did leave many things unexplained such as why the Normandy fled from the battle, how your end mission squad mates end up back on the Normandy, and where the Normandy is headed to. If they explained these things the endings would be less vitriolic, some people who wanted a fantasy ending would still be mad but the rest of us who rationalized why they had done this would not be left with these gaping plot holes.

Many things from both games carry over and much of the lore is introduced as well. For example if you let Balack live in Bringing Down the Sky he shows up on the citadel in ME3. In this dialog there is a mention of the Leviathan of Dis; the first Reaper to be discovered.

As far as I know the only playable characters are Javik, Garrus, Tali, Liara, James, EDI, and Ashley at this time. Almost every character from the previous two games makes an appearance, even the DLC squad mates from ME2.

Music: 10
    The score for Mass Effect 3 is the best part about the game. Listening to "Leaving Earth" will send chills up your spine because of how haunting and nuanced the song is. There are many throw backs to music from both games, for example the song on Mars is reminiscent of the one they used on Therum when you first go to find Liara. The ending credits song is also similar to the one used in ME1 although it has been remixed.

The score is amazing and out does ME2 by a long shot.

Graphics: 8
    This one is tricky because all of the issues graphically are likely from driver issues. Almost all new games require a patch to work correctly and there are many problems in this game that I see being stemmed from the lack of a patch at the moment. Shading is pretty bad, it is not very seamless and often there are some seriously problematic issues with the texture lighting. I will be updating my 4870X2's drivers later on today before I start my new game+ to see if anything gets fixed.

The textures you see in the demo are still present but they have been worked on and are much better quality then what was present in the demo. Most of the cloths for non-major characters are still texture based and even some of the clothes for main characters are texture based.
  33. Mar 6, 2012
    I hated to see so many negative reviews, but now that im about 10 hours in I just cringe on the fact that i must support these low scores. This game has lost its way. ME 1 and 2 were In depth. ME3 is boring, characters are dull and dialogue is horrible. options of choosing what you say is only 2 choices. either paragon or renegade. nothing in between. there is no feeling of getting to knowI hated to see so many negative reviews, but now that im about 10 hours in I just cringe on the fact that i must support these low scores. This game has lost its way. ME 1 and 2 were In depth. ME3 is boring, characters are dull and dialogue is horrible. options of choosing what you say is only 2 choices. either paragon or renegade. nothing in between. there is no feeling of getting to know other characters or feeling a connection with absolutely anything. might as well play gears of war! The Genre RPG should be RIpped out of ME3. Bioware! You disappointed me this round! Expand
  34. Mar 6, 2012
    It looks to me like someone is waging a campaign against Bioware. It's fairly easy for someone to create a zillion accounts on Metacritic and rate something as a 0 on all of them. Just write some blurb text or how you "hate the ammo system" or the "ending" etc.

This is why user reviews can never be trusted, especially on places like Metacritic where you don't have to have a registered copy of the game to vote. Nobody in their right mind would give this game a 0, and yet hundreds of people have. These people are either deeply biased against Bioware or they are insane. I mean giving this wonderful game a 0 because you didn't like the ending? The combat isn't quite as fun as the previous ones? Seriously? 6 or 7 maybe, but 0? ...

My oppinion on the game so far is that it's just as awesome as the previous two. If you enjoyed ME 1 or 2, you'll probably enjoy this one.
  35. Mar 9, 2012
    Great, amazing game until the last 5 minutes. People are not exaggerating this one bit. Those last 5 minutes not only hurt the replay value of this particular game, but also the two installments that came before it. Without some serious reparation DLC I cannot recommend this game to a serious Mass Effect fan that has spent time perfecting "their Shepard." Not in its current state.

On the

On the hand, if Mass Effect is something you've only had a passing interest in over the years but never really dove into it then the endings won't effect you so adversely. In that regard I can't recommend it enough.
  36. Mar 10, 2012
    On the Gameplay/Combat side this game holds its own when compared to Gears of Wars- the mother of all cover-based shooters. And there in lies a disturbing tendency- ME3 is feeling more like Gears of Wars and less like Mass Effect. The RPG and story aspects are much more marginalized in this installment to speak nothing of its conclusion to this series.
  37. Mar 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yeah, it may be childish to give a 0 to a game that obviously is better than that. But it's the only way I've found to gives a slap in the face of Designers & Publishers that could actually hurt them...

As you may have guessed by now, the ending is the main reason of my discontent... The ending of Mass Effect 2 was better by far... As soon as I saw Shepard bloody and crawling with only a pistol, I had a bad feeling about the ending...

Also, the linearity of the story and the galaxy exploration is another let down. And he Normandy-Alliance crew? Been there, done that... The Cerberus crew has more interaction and 'life'... The sides quest are usually hollow, if not buggy. Do it as soon as you get them or risk not being able to finish them. They're also a lot confusing. Often, I didn't know what or where to go to complete them...

Almost every decisions you made since ME1 result in a few more or less troops and/or ships for the final battle. Correct, but a bit dissapointing... And the multiplayer needed to have a better readiness in single player?... Bad idea... On a side note, the multiplayer is correct, but the 'Magic-the-Gathering-booster-pack' upgrading mechanic that forces you to grind XP or drop REAL cash to get is quite greedy, and another sign that money is more important that creating and satisfying people who bought the game...

On a more personal note, I hated the 'kid-nightmare-walk slowly' parts... Hated that kind of stuff since the 1st Max Payne...

Honestly, not everything is dark though:
    - The Action/RPG/Story experience choice can make the game more appealing to different kind of players. (Although I have to try each one to see if it makes a real difference... I don't have the heart to try right now)...
    - The scanning for ressource is now perfect: You scan a region, and if you found something interesting, then you grab or scan the planet (like finding a mission site in ME2)...
    - Ending put aside, most of the story is quite good and interesting, with great moments and surprises...

Thats 3 huge dissapointments for me from thus far: C&C4, Dragon Age 2 and now ME3... No more preorder, EA... Ever... You can bet I'll wait for reviews & Metacritic before thinking of buying General 2!...
  38. Mar 13, 2012
    Day 1 DLC with obviously cut out material is instant 1/10 from me, even the game might be good. What they are doing is milking off money from the uninformed mainstream. Day 1 DLC are a disgrase and you should boycott this company for doing this!
  39. Mar 28, 2012
    Aside from the endings, I found this to be a great experience. I really love the storyline, the voice acting, the graphics. I appreciated the romance / friendship development with the cast. This is presently my favorite game and I am generally not a fan of Sci Fi or Shooters.
  40. Sep 10, 2012
    i have NO idea why this got so many negative player reviews, from readind some of them you were all playing a differant game, i'm glad i didn't listen to the incessant whining and went ahead and bought this game anyway. From between the ranting and inexplicable rage i gleaned that most of the complaints are unfounded or just unfair and i think that these people wouldn't of been happy withi have NO idea why this got so many negative player reviews, from readind some of them you were all playing a differant game, i'm glad i didn't listen to the incessant whining and went ahead and bought this game anyway. From between the ranting and inexplicable rage i gleaned that most of the complaints are unfounded or just unfair and i think that these people wouldn't of been happy with ANYTHING Bioware did.

Great effing game a classic and worthy as a finale its better than a damn movie guys...eat your heart out B5 and Star Trek...even Star Wars, Mass Effect once the movies are released will be up there with them mark my words. (I didn't say better i said *up there with them* btw)
  41. Oct 8, 2012
    Mass effect 3 has his flaws but overall it's a great game. Bioware has exceeded as always with their story telling till the end. If you ever think that is a unfair assumption then consider the fact that their biggest selling point of the game since day one is that your actions matter. This is completely taken away in my opinion by the progress bar instead of adding as many upgrades orMass effect 3 has his flaws but overall it's a great game. Bioware has exceeded as always with their story telling till the end. If you ever think that is a unfair assumption then consider the fact that their biggest selling point of the game since day one is that your actions matter. This is completely taken away in my opinion by the progress bar instead of adding as many upgrades or doing hero missions and hoping for the best. Also in accordance to the ending I would've preferred a sequence of screen-caps and text like fallout did which would go over your choices and their consequences in more detail instead of being rewarded your choice of 3 different colors. Ignoring the dismal ending the story and universe in my opinion is more realized and alive then any other game or even movie for that matter, I'm a Star Wars fanboy and I enjoy the mass effect universe better. The game play through the games have gotten simpler and more casual per sequel but the gameplay is still as strong as ever. That's why I give this game a 9 of 10 Expand
  42. May 18, 2012
    The word of the day is "choice." The Mass Effect franchise has always rested on the idea that the player gets to pick Shepard's path, and in this last installment BioWare seems determined to give the player a small array of options for almost everything. Are conversations not your thing? There's an option to make them into cut-scenes. Is reflex-action combat too challenging? There's anThe word of the day is "choice." The Mass Effect franchise has always rested on the idea that the player gets to pick Shepard's path, and in this last installment BioWare seems determined to give the player a small array of options for almost everything. Are conversations not your thing? There's an option to make them into cut-scenes. Is reflex-action combat too challenging? There's an option to make it significantly simpler (you only need to bother taking cover in the hardest of fights). Like your helmet? See it in cut-scenes. Hate it? Turn it off. Expand
  43. May 18, 2012
    This game was, well, whatever. I didn't play 1 or 2, so I didn't care if the ending was "bad". It was more like watching a movie than playing a game, but some of the guns were OK. I thought this game would be great, but the more I played the less I cared. I did like the female voices, and never understood the war map. Never cared either.
  44. Jun 19, 2012
    A weak ending to a promising series. It had it's moments, but the absurd finale and overall low budget feel of the game kill it completely. Gameplay-wise it's still a linear third person shooter with subtle cRPG elements like exp, skill points and minor dialogue choices. The combat isn't as dull as it was in the previous game, but it's still not enough to keep you from falling asleepA weak ending to a promising series. It had it's moments, but the absurd finale and overall low budget feel of the game kill it completely. Gameplay-wise it's still a linear third person shooter with subtle cRPG elements like exp, skill points and minor dialogue choices. The combat isn't as dull as it was in the previous game, but it's still not enough to keep you from falling asleep during some of the longer firefights. The new teammates we recieved were rather uninteresting too, especially when compared to the weirdos we had to put up with in ME2 (Jack, Legion, Mordin, Thane...). On the other hand, Shepard himself seems a little more human and less BA, which is an improvement. Still, in the end the only thing that keeps this game alive is the multiplayer mode, which doesn't get boring quite as soon as one would think. Overall, ME3 is a disappointment, although it could have been worse. Probably. Expand
  45. Nov 15, 2014
    I recommend doing two things:
    1. reading all of those negative reviews,
    2. and playing the game anyway. I expected such an awful game after that that I was actually pleasantly surprised. Also, it's now being sold for ~$10 instead of ~$60, sooo... Oh, and the game is pretty annoying if you did play ME1 and 2 and don't have the "saves" for them. I kinda think they should just let you
    I recommend doing two things:
    1. reading all of those negative reviews,
    2. and playing the game anyway.

Oh, and the game is pretty annoying if you did play ME1 and 2 and don't have the "saves" for them. I kinda think they should just let you answer a multiple choice quiz about what ya did in the last games.
  46. Dec 2, 2012
    An amazing game, I can't believe how many people is complaining about the ending. This is my point of view: IT WAS AMAZING! Even if ME3 is much shooter than ME1 (and much less than ME2). It really worth the price. And with the extended cut, is much much better.
  47. May 20, 2014
    Cons:
    EA published, less RPG feel compared to the first one.
    The ending was originally so ambiguous that they had to DLC patch it. No matter what decisions you made during the course of the 3 games there’s only 3 actual endings which are kinda similar to one another. Pros: Great characters, great story, nice decision system, fun gameplay, immersive atmosphere, great sci-fi universe,
    Cons:
    EA published, less RPG feel compared to the first one.
    The ending was originally so ambiguous that they had to DLC patch it.

Pros:
    Great characters, great story, nice decision system, fun gameplay, immersive atmosphere, great sci-fi universe, politically charged & nice classes to choose from. Great & addictive multiplayer.
  48. Jun 2, 2014
    It's mediocre as a movie but complete fails as a game. It's the kind of game where I would rather the game just play itself and I watch (twice - once good guy, once bad guy). There is no real freedom, you are on a railroad, and now and then there is a fork (a choice)... but usually the game designer has decided that some choices are less valid than others and will punish you for makingIt's mediocre as a movie but complete fails as a game. It's the kind of game where I would rather the game just play itself and I watch (twice - once good guy, once bad guy). There is no real freedom, you are on a railroad, and now and then there is a fork (a choice)... but usually the game designer has decided that some choices are less valid than others and will punish you for making them, basically forcing their moral world view on you. And the rhyme and reason of it is quite irrational - the game rewards you for picking fights with strangers doing things the designers expect you to disapprove of, but punishes you for not committing genocide of the last of some ant creature. It's fitting that it has such a bad ending, because the entire thing was bad. Most levels offer no freedom of movement, you are funneled by invisible walls, and have fixed objections that you must complete. Which might be right for a racing car game, but not in what is suppose to be an 'adventure' game... an 'adventure' game where you are not free to actually adventure. It fails as an adventure game because of the lack of freedom, and it fails as an action game because of the lack of depth to the combat... leaving the player with nothing rewarding except a mediocre story that the game demands you jump through hoops to see. I didn't play it through, I watched what I missed on YouTube. Expand
  49. Mar 16, 2012
    Too much EA not enough Bioware.

Too much EA not enough Bioware.

The previous game (ME1&2) decisions have very little quantifiable effect, seems like rather than implementing all of the carry over they just fake it by having some scripted vocal moments acknowledged the decision, but to add no over all game effect. The combat and character building further builds on ME2 and is slightly improved. The weapons selection felt about right, and the class system feels about the same as ME2, maybe more refined and defined. The story starts strong and seems to hold up until you realize that you spend more of the game dealing with Cerberus and building the army than actually fighting the reapers. The army build felt generic and ineffectual on the very short battle for against the reapers. The fight for earth was also extremely short and disappointing. I was also let down by the ending but I won't spoil it.

Overall, it doesn't seem like they made the game they set out to. The decision and force/team building mechanics felt partially implemented, or implemented to give the illusion of choice/consequence. The game is suppose to be about the battle for earth, but there really is no battle, there is a war, but the player doesn't get to enjoy much of it. The ultimate resolution also felt very generic, a little to "chosen one" for my taste. It is a decent game for $60 and the DLC does add to the experience but overall it was a slight letdown having played ME2 for the first time a few days before ME3 launched and immediately transitioning to ME3.
  50. Oct 13, 2012
    I played the demo and I'm very disappointed. I would play this game if one of the following were not true: (1) Same graphics; What was very advanced in 2007 (ME1) par in 2010 (ME2) is now simply sub-par in 2012. (2) I like to sit back with a logi/xbox360 style controller. A keyboard, while very good, can limit you in certain situations. While many games released in the past 2 years haveI played the demo and I'm very disappointed. I would play this game if one of the following were not true: (1) Same graphics; What was very advanced in 2007 (ME1) par in 2010 (ME2) is now simply sub-par in 2012. (2) I like to sit back with a logi/xbox360 style controller. A keyboard, while very good, can limit you in certain situations. While many games released in the past 2 years have instant support for controllers, this game has none. (3) Same engine. ME2 was a great game but I struggled to finish due to the robotic engine. The great story, art, music and characters kept me playing through the bland game. Adding a halo-blade animation to your punch and changing health to blocks instead of bars doesn't change the gameplay. My skills were 90% exactly the same as the last game! (4) horrid user score; from what people are saying, this is a big ME2 expansion, not a $60 new game. Oh Bioware, how far you have fallen. Expand
  51. Mar 10, 2012
    As a shooter, ME3 is passable. Not amazing, but passable. The trouble is we were all told that role playing aspects would be put back in from what ME2 turned out to be. They weren't. Not really. You get binary choices that have very little bearing on anything. You won't get a different game by making different choices. You won't even get a noticeably different combat playstyle by makingAs a shooter, ME3 is passable. Not amazing, but passable. The trouble is we were all told that role playing aspects would be put back in from what ME2 turned out to be. They weren't. Not really. You get binary choices that have very little bearing on anything. You won't get a different game by making different choices. You won't even get a noticeably different combat playstyle by making different choices. Basically what happened is Bioware dumbed down the amazing Mass Effect 1 into very little more than a pure shooter. Then they figured if they just throw a couple of dialogue trees and weapon mods back in, then they can appease fans of the original. As is, there's maybe enough here to warrant a playthrough, but you shouldn't feel like you're missing much by waiting to get it used. Expand
  52. Mar 8, 2012
    Just finished it, and it took me according to the game 19:10 which is roughly the same amount of time it took in the previous 2 games. While the game is great, and I really like the new combat system, it tends to get repetitive towards the end. Enemies are pretty limited in variety and missions all seem to have similar objectives. Its still worth playing although I would avoid paying fullJust finished it, and it took me according to the game 19:10 which is roughly the same amount of time it took in the previous 2 games. While the game is great, and I really like the new combat system, it tends to get repetitive towards the end. Enemies are pretty limited in variety and missions all seem to have similar objectives. Its still worth playing although I would avoid paying full price off Origin (in Australia) as it's a lot cheaper to just get it in store.

I was mildly disappointed in the lack of squad mates, for most of the game i was limited to 5, and while this will vary with some players it did seems a bit of a small selection to choose from. I won't say anything about the story apart from that I enjoyed it, but not as much as the first installment, but it is still at the typical Bioware standard. While I haven't bought the DLC I really do not see it as being a major problem it really just like any other paid DLC in the mass effect series, while it adds new information and interesting things about the mass effect universe. It is in no way required to enjoy the story and you will not notice its missing presence.

Overall a decent ending to a great series, well worth your time and money, but by no means perfect.
  53. Mar 30, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I enjoyed the main game for what it is. They addressed many major criticisms encountered over the last years. Combat is significantly more entertaining and challenging. The pace is higher, there is less chore. Great characters and side stories, even though side missions could have been a bit more varying in nature. Graphically it's a bit outdated and more adequate for consoles - wouldn't have minded a higher texture resolution. On audio side it is much better as well, I wasn't a particular fan of meowing cars in the citadel of ME2, it is pleasing and well done.
    However what the game made up in consistency over the years has been almost entirely undone in the final moments of the game. I am usually not the guy who demands absolutely perfect canon lore but Bioware left me stumbled here. It is as if they mixed up the game they made the ending for and once you are kicked back to the Shepard on the Normandy you are left asking yourself whether you should ever bother to play this game again in the same manner you did with ME2. If you liked the main game and are capable of enduring approx. 15-20 minutes of pure non-sequitur in the hope that Bioware themselves realize what they have done then you should do so, otherwise it's worth playing one time at least for the sake of it.
  54. May 31, 2012
    Disappointing and internal law breaking product, that lowers the plank raised by previous games. Uninteresting and not original waste of time and money.
  55. Mar 7, 2012
    I'm speechless. Why ? I did something stupid, played the first game imported my character in to the second game,imported to ME3.
    Why the rant? When did the gaming industry decided that a person able to enjoy a adult movie is unable to comprehend Schindler's List?
    It didn't start well , the intro mission is railroaded, Shepard is a lost minion , irritating for every player that shaped his character thru countless hours of the two previous games, pondering the outcomes of hers/his decisions. I seriously have no idea why I did what I did in the previous games.
    It's a clone of so many movie/game decisions where the Hero does the ultimate spoiler thing, and everyone is aware that the morally grey , isn't really grey it's just trying to create the illusion by pressing on the tear duct by removing the few things a RPG player cares about-the characters and interactions with them , one by one .

The game has one of the worst endings in history, all of them and the idea that the player is not worthy to get some closure is strange, feel's like subconsciousness marketing for DLC.
    The characters from the previous game suffer at times cringe worthy writing , and lack of screen time.
    Simply there isn't enough time for anything, and the dialogues took a major hit, feels completely rushed. New players probably will not care, the game doesn't even introduce them in a proper manner, they can run and gun without consequences and even enjoy the game.
    MP is very well done,interesting and addictive , so nothing to criticize except the Origin client.
    Rated DA2 with a 1 rating this game with a 6 to reflect the technical superiority, but only the technical , the disappointment is identical like DAO vs DA2 despite never seeing the ME games as RPG's , and wondering why the "Jack of all trades, master of none" figure somehow became the most defining aspect of Bioware's recent titles.
  56. Mar 13, 2012
    It seems like we have another da2 situation in our hands... a game that has been ruined for the purpose of appealing to all the brainless people in the world, just to make more money. Congrats...
  57. Mar 7, 2012
    Strike 1: Adding multiplayer (oh come on really?) to a beloved SINGLE player series of games. If I wanted a multiplayer shoot em up I would play Counterstrike (don't even get me started on MW3). Strike 2: From Ashes DLC fiasco . Seriously? you're charging for DAY 1 DLC because you gave us multiplayer that we didn't even want in the first place? Strike 3: Boy am I glad I saw the leakedStrike 1: Adding multiplayer (oh come on really?) to a beloved SINGLE player series of games. If I wanted a multiplayer shoot em up I would play Counterstrike (don't even get me started on MW3). Strike 2: From Ashes DLC fiasco . Seriously? you're charging for DAY 1 DLC because you gave us multiplayer that we didn't even want in the first place? Strike 3: Boy am I glad I saw the leaked script and videos. "Yo dawg we made synthetics to kill organics, so organics wouldn't create synthetics to kill organics!" It's painfully obvious that the writing talent that made the first game so compelling is no longer involved. Maybe Bioware should think about hiring writers who, ya know, actually enjoy playing the games too. EA/Bioware, you have broken my heart for the last time. Multiplayer and Day 1 DLC I could *just* about have lived with, but the lack of choices carried over, and the contrived, lazy endings are a step too far. I will not be giving my hard earned money to you ever again. Fortunately I played a friend's copy of ME3 and can get my online version refunded (thanks Origin 14 day return policy!). Oh yeah, don't even bother pirating. Expand
  58. Mar 17, 2012
    To preface I hated DA2. ME3 is not that bad a game. The story is alright except the ending needs to be tweeked a bit. Original ME was made for a console so this game has issues when played with a PC. The RPG part is weak but after DA2 its to be expected. EA is slowly killing Bioware. This will probably be my last Bioware RPG purchase. $60 for a 5/10 game is not a good buy.
  59. Mar 7, 2012
    For being a AAA title, Mass Effect 3 seems to be very cheaply made. Somehow the graphics seem to have gotten worse since Mass Effect 2, and it's very noticeable throughout the entire game. Textures are fairly low res (even on the PC version), animations are clunkier than ever, and most levels are very linear/claustrophobic but still lack detail (incredibly small maps with poorly madeFor being a AAA title, Mass Effect 3 seems to be very cheaply made. Somehow the graphics seem to have gotten worse since Mass Effect 2, and it's very noticeable throughout the entire game. Textures are fairly low res (even on the PC version), animations are clunkier than ever, and most levels are very linear/claustrophobic but still lack detail (incredibly small maps with poorly made skyboxes).

The dialogue is far worse than in the first 2 Mass Effect games, seemingly taking a lesson from Dragon Age 2's writers. The central plot is better, though the disappointing ending(s) and seemingly random character deaths manage to ruin it. Bioware has introduced more of the character customization found in Mass Effect 1, but at the same time the combat is worse than ME2's. The controls are extremely clunky, you'll often find yourself dying due to getting stuck in/randomly leaving cover due to having the space bar bound to several different actions. The AI is fairly basic, generally leaving themselves out in the open though Bioware have given them more shields/health to add artificial difficulty.
  60. Mar 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The only thing that ruined my gaming experience of Mass Effect 3 was checking Metacritic and seeing everyone reviews. I actually really enjoyed the game all the way through. It seems no one really has any imagination anymore to figure out an ending because all people are used to is I kill...I win. Expand
  61. Mar 21, 2012
    A great game with an amazing story. The feeling you get when you interact with these huge decisions is unlike anything I've experienced in a game. The reason this game isn't earning a 10 is the ending but that subject has been discussed by many other reviewers.
    The ending is just a dent in a sphere with a very solid core underneath.
  62. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. My previews review after 30 minutes I gave it a 4, now I am revising it to give it a 3.

All the holes in the plot just gets bigger and bigger. They sacrifice character consistency for cheap cinematic moments that felt as empty as it is cliche.

Sad moment where refugee gets wiped out by the Invaders? Would be sad if you don't realize that the main character is standing there dumbfounded on top of a WAR SHIP with GUNS that can easily take out the enemy or at the very lease get the transports time to get away.

A moment of polarization that set you against Cerebus? Would be motivational if you realize that Shepard (which mine did) had Singularity (or that Liara could do the same). The whole thing with Ashley being disabled is a dumb founding moment as Shepard is once again, yep, stand there mouth gaping dumbfounded, as the opponent RADIOS IN and WAITS for conformation from Elusive Man.

This pattern repeats through out the whole movie and VASTLY distracts from the plausibility of the story, and is expanded upon things like

The World is being destroyed, and what does your companions say in the Lift while Alliance Personnel are being slaughtered... "Well.. Shepard... I am not sure I can trust you.... can you comfort me and make me feel better?" all this is within the first 30-60 minute of the game.

The dialogue is so horrendous, the plot so forced, it is a WORSE attempt at Action RPG than the Dragon Age 2 fiasco. At least Dragon Age 2 isn't a patch work of one liners that can be used on advertising posters.

Going to struggle through to the end like I did with Dragon Age 2, but so far it does not bode well.
  63. Mar 8, 2012
    What a crap game! Bioware has done it again! Crap characters, crap story and crap setting. I don't understand all the positive reaction from users. They can't be playing the same game as I am. Either that or they are running a smear campaign against the public because they think we're homophobes. If that is the case - GET A LIFE!
  64. Mar 15, 2012
    Five years! For five years we have been waiting this game. All this time everyone has spent dozens of hours of play to build a character in detail, to get to the final battle and discover that everything we had is not worth anything. The game over all is full of bugs charts, something that his predecessors had not. Pultroppo, we are faced with a great truth: "A wonderful saga begins forFive years! For five years we have been waiting this game. All this time everyone has spent dozens of hours of play to build a character in detail, to get to the final battle and discover that everything we had is not worth anything. The game over all is full of bugs charts, something that his predecessors had not. Pultroppo, we are faced with a great truth: "A wonderful saga begins for passion and ends for the money." When a title is a highly successful publishing house will always tend to derive much money as possible and this leads us to make a game designed with speed and distraction. For me, Mass Effect is the saga of the most beautiful ever created in gaming history, but with this latest chapter in an era ruined. The ending, which I will not tell, it was so absurd as to anger the world for the first time in history.
    The dream is gone, the waiting futile, what remains is the DISAPPOINTMENT
  65. Mar 8, 2012
    This is not bad game, unless you compare it with mass effect I or mass effect 2 which were really awesome games where you were driving the character and the history. All that magic is gone, thus I understand why people give this game low ratings . For a mass effect game this is lame. For the average games this is agood one. Probably people who never played the previous ones of like fpsThis is not bad game, unless you compare it with mass effect I or mass effect 2 which were really awesome games where you were driving the character and the history. All that magic is gone, thus I understand why people give this game low ratings . For a mass effect game this is lame. For the average games this is agood one. Probably people who never played the previous ones of like fps game style would vote this one higher. What is unbelievable is all the (paid?) critic reviews who are giving only top scores and highlighting how good is the game almost without negative aspects. Fortunately here in metacritic most of the users have expressed their opinions so everyone can read that this game is not the perfect product paid reviews are trying to sell. I imagine Bioware is trying to get users to vote and comment in their favour, but that would be a bit more difficult than to heavily advertise in a bunch of gaming publications. I mean, if Bioware is paying you a los of money for publicity, you won"t be talking down their new star product .That wouldn't be a business wise decision. Expand
  66. Mar 6, 2012
    The gameplay hasn't changed at all!!! Same crappy overused generic cover system!!

This is supposed to be a sequel! Innovation is needed to keep the public interested!! I returned my copy this morning, the only thing I cared about was the story and it turns out that no matter what you do in game, the choices don't effect the ending; then what's the point of having a interactive sequence?

then what's the point of having a interactive sequence?

I'll just watch a let's play instead and still keep my money
  67. May 7, 2012
    Every person should have been taught at one point that you don't make promises you can't keep. But the moneygrubbing at it's finest gives you an imcomplete story and experience
  68. Mar 7, 2012
    I really had a lot of fun on Mass Effect. I loved Mass Effect 1, maybe even more on the sequel, but I was generally disappointed on this game. I expected the fun of the first 2 and the great writing, but the story was meh and the gameplay was not as good as the other two. This lived way below the hype of the other 2. Also, DLC on the first day? Really, Bioware? Either the DLC is part ofI really had a lot of fun on Mass Effect. I loved Mass Effect 1, maybe even more on the sequel, but I was generally disappointed on this game. I expected the fun of the first 2 and the great writing, but the story was meh and the gameplay was not as good as the other two. This lived way below the hype of the other 2. Also, DLC on the first day? Really, Bioware? Either the DLC is part of the game, or the DLC is released weeks after. Expand
  69. Mar 7, 2012
    EA treats players like retards, while they are the biggest one, and should be taken care of. They may be thinking that they are in such comfortable and stable position that no matter what they say wont have any effect on whatever they do. Wrong! Players remember and don't forget.
  70. Mar 7, 2012
    Awesome game. A great end to the series. 10 for sure. Not sure why the trolley are hammering it..........we weird. Up there with the first two without a doubt.
  71. Mar 6, 2012
    This is very sad :-(
    Better go with The Witcher 2 or Deus Ex: HR, Skyrim or FNV Ultimate - not with this s**t!
    I'm very dissapointed :-/
    I hate you EA/BW!!!

ME1>ME2>ME3 :-(
  72. Mar 6, 2012
    As a big fan of multiple RPGs, and fan of the first two Mass Effect games, this game does not live up to current RPG standards. The plot is unusually boring, the gameplay is surprisingly lacking, the graphics and animations have barely been touched since ME2, and worst of all the game's ending is the biggest let down I've witnessed in years. The most outrageous thing about ME3 is that theAs a big fan of multiple RPGs, and fan of the first two Mass Effect games, this game does not live up to current RPG standards. The plot is unusually boring, the gameplay is surprisingly lacking, the graphics and animations have barely been touched since ME2, and worst of all the game's ending is the biggest let down I've witnessed in years. The most outrageous thing about ME3 is that the day one downloadable content contains information that is crucial to the series as a whole. This game was the biggest letdown to me in years, and I almost feel as if I have been ripped off. Expand
  73. Mar 7, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a game science fiction game about Star Wars. You play as Captain John Luke Pircard but everybody calls you shepherd for some reason, and you have to kill the grim repars who want to kill everyone in the galaxy. you travel in your spaceship so you can shoot the reaper with your laser guns. One thing i didnt like is that you have to reload your gun because why would you haveMass Effect 3 is a game science fiction game about Star Wars. You play as Captain John Luke Pircard but everybody calls you shepherd for some reason, and you have to kill the grim repars who want to kill everyone in the galaxy. you travel in your spaceship so you can shoot the reaper with your laser guns. One thing i didnt like is that you have to reload your gun because why would you have to reload a laser gun? Overall this game was fun but I give it 6/10 because there are no lightsabers and the klingons look funny Expand
  74. Mar 10, 2012
    This game is not good and certainly doesn't deserve the praise it's been getting from the gaming press. A lot of the poor user reviews on this site are in protest of how awfully Bioware has been treating their fanbase of late although that doesn't mean that they don't have valid criticisms, and Bioware would be foolish to claim otherwise. If you've already played the first two games youThis game is not good and certainly doesn't deserve the praise it's been getting from the gaming press. A lot of the poor user reviews on this site are in protest of how awfully Bioware has been treating their fanbase of late although that doesn't mean that they don't have valid criticisms, and Bioware would be foolish to claim otherwise. If you've already played the first two games you may as well get this over and done with, but I would strongly advise against picking up the series here. Expand
  75. Mar 10, 2012
    Oh man this will be difficult to express in words as I cannot seem to make a coherent sentence when it comes to expressing the devastating amount of disappointment I was subjected to all throughout my experience with Bioware's latest game: Mass Effect 3...

I want to start off by saying that I found the first two games incredibly exceptional (Some didn't like 2 but I loved it in terms of its story, characters and pacing) but the third installment is quite possibly the most disappointing game I have ever played that I can think of due to the fact that I have spent so much time and invested quite a bit of emotion into this series... The choices made from previous games are simply irrelevant and very little effort has been placed into implementing the power of choice and its consequences as the earlier games did so well.

The story itself, from which Bioware has built its reputation, is laughable, cheesy, predictable, and just plain infantile. It seems EA perhaps has dispersed all of Bioware's writers or they simply left to companies that were offering a higher salary because the difference in the quality of the script and story between this game and the first two is seriously night and day, I mean words cannot describe how bad the story has gotten. People have compared the story to that of a Michael Bay movie and that is not far off, although Bay atleast gives some sort of conclusion to his stories, here there is none, just youtube the "perfect ending" and you will see for yourself.

I believe the forced homosexuality and the day-one 10$ DLC (crucial to the main story btw..) as well as the horrible multiplayer crucial to achieving the optimal ending (lets kill waves of enemies like a cheap knockoff of CoD's survival mode) have all been touched on by others here but it goes without saying that these were all decisions made without any respect or care to the fanbase that made the company what it is. Those idiot doctors sold out big-time, as if they didn't have enough money, they do not care at all about their integrity, their image, or more importantly their fans - this is a complete spit in the face to all who invested their time and money in the previous games and it goes to show the absolute corruption of capitalism seeping into the gaming industry at last. Oh and the critics? lol.. if there ever was a case of them being bought out by these giants like EA or Activision, well here it is folks, do not trust the critics, if you must - pirate the game and see for yourself but I would strongly not recommend that either simply because you will come away even more disappointed than after having read this review. And I haven't even touched on the technical aspects or the gameplay or their obvious marketing ploys which have become, as others have stated, incredibly subpar.. The overall package that is Mass Effect 3 is one of the biggest dissapointments in entertainment history and is a very very bad game - do not put yourself through the pain and agony and sadness that I did by playing this game (I even re-played the first 2 before this.....)

Bioware you have fallen far indeed - DA2 , then TOR (don't get me started), and now this... Although you will keep selling, know that you have lost all the fans that made you who you are today and that you will never be releasing a quality game ever again with executives like this.
  76. Mar 14, 2012
    The combat was pretty fun, the multiplayer started fun but got repetitive since it is entirely co-op horde mode and there was no competitive multiplayer. The story had a few strong moments. Never in my life did I think that just the ending of a piece of entertainment could retroactively destroy the positive experiences I had with that piece of entertainment. Mass Effect 3 managed to doThe combat was pretty fun, the multiplayer started fun but got repetitive since it is entirely co-op horde mode and there was no competitive multiplayer. The story had a few strong moments. Never in my life did I think that just the ending of a piece of entertainment could retroactively destroy the positive experiences I had with that piece of entertainment. Mass Effect 3 managed to do just that. I had heard the ending was bad before I even started the game, but I wrote this off as only a few people who were very vocal, and believed that I would enjoy the ending when I got to it. I was completely mistaken. The ending not only made no sense, but it took away any possibility for the player to make a significant choice, and made the player feel like all the choices made up until this point of the game were utterly worthless and had no impact on the game whatsoever. It left me feeling incomplete, as if the reapers were never defeated and the Mass Effect series never really got an end. It caused me to immediately uninstall the game and not even think about playing through the game again, which I was originally planning on doing. I didn't think it was possible, but this game single-handedly in the last 10 minutes or so, ruined my love for the Mass Effect series and Bioware. It was a disappointment and what could have been a terrific game was ruined because of it. Expand
  77. Mar 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am a big fan of Mass Effect who loved the first two games. And this game certainly delivered, just the way I had hoped â Expand
  78. Mar 29, 2012
    Unlike most people here, I took my time with the game. I have only just finished my first play-through of the game and have thought really long and hard before writing this review. Mass Effect 3 is brilliant, I'll say. The scale is massive and I really felt the pressure of having to save the galaxy being overrun by the Reapers. It was a blast to see old characters again and the storyUnlike most people here, I took my time with the game. I have only just finished my first play-through of the game and have thought really long and hard before writing this review. Mass Effect 3 is brilliant, I'll say. The scale is massive and I really felt the pressure of having to save the galaxy being overrun by the Reapers. It was a blast to see old characters again and the story is very well written even though I'll admit the dialogue is rather cheesy in most parts. Combat in the game is fun, a little bit repetitive but fun. Nothing better than pulling out the omni-blade and jamming it into an enemy (very satisfying). But the heavy melee could have been implemented better, it looked cheap and lame if compared to other games like Deus Ex Human Revolution. Not only that, the sidequests in this game was horrible!!! Not only are they vague, they are more a pain than actual reasons to explore the galaxy. You just go around scanning for lost items and such. Only good thing, no more tedious scanning like in the second game. Multiplayer is fun but it gets old after a while, Mass Effect is not really meant to be a multiplayer game and the controls obviously show that. And yes, the endings. The endings are exactly what everyone is complaining about. Not only is it inconsistent to the plot, its abrupt!!! Its like: BOOM, finish, thank you, goodbye. Feels like all your time you put out out into all three games was wasted the effort. Outside the game, the **** Origin client system was also a pain for me, took me 4 hours just to get the game up and running although I have not had any problems for the past few weeks. So, why give an 8? ME3 is not going to win Game of the Year nor will it gain legacy as one of the best sequels ever. It is however, just plain fun to play ME3. Its fun to be on one last adventure with your favourite characters even though by now you know, it will end in huge disappointment. But, now Bioware is making an attempt to address the issue and as for me, I will be replaying the game with a vastly different Shepard of mine. Did I waste my money buying this game? I don't think so, I am keeping this game. As for you guys, I say either you take a chance buying this game or you find somewhere willing to give you a refund or exchange in case you really don't like the game. This game is one I think all ME fans should get regardless of the ending, just steel your hearts when you see the ending, that is all. Expand
  79. Apr 13, 2012
    total **** I hope EA goes bankrupt. Always **** titles.. They are the cancer of the gaming world. STOP!!! Close yours fk*ng offices EA, just do damage and ****
  80. Apr 26, 2012
    Does the video game industry have anything left good to offer us? Mass Effect 3 shows nothing that could appeal to the fans of the ME trilogy. If I can give the game one thing, it's that it gives a good story, at least I thought it did from the beginning. Though it seems the game had a lot of potential, it built up and came off with VERY disappointing results. All the endings to theDoes the video game industry have anything left good to offer us? Mass Effect 3 shows nothing that could appeal to the fans of the ME trilogy. If I can give the game one thing, it's that it gives a good story, at least I thought it did from the beginning. Though it seems the game had a lot of potential, it built up and came off with VERY disappointing results. All the endings to the collection of trash known as the finale leave you mouth agape and croaking "Are you kidding me?" If I were anywhere near this company, I'd tell them to save their money, because this game should have flopped. Expand
  81. Nov 13, 2012
    Allright, I was wrong about my last review, after seeing the dlc. Now the story changed to crap, which really disappoints me. Thank you EAWare for this game.
  82. Jun 5, 2012
    As far as combat goes, this is the best, cleanest, most fluid Mass Effect yet. I would say that it is the best 3rd person game I've ever played, combat and control wise. Story wise, it is easily the worst. The game lacks the bonding with the characters that Mass Effect 2 contained. The dialogue is mostly poor. We have all heard the gripes about the ending. To have an "A, B, and C" choiceAs far as combat goes, this is the best, cleanest, most fluid Mass Effect yet. I would say that it is the best 3rd person game I've ever played, combat and control wise. Story wise, it is easily the worst. The game lacks the bonding with the characters that Mass Effect 2 contained. The dialogue is mostly poor. We have all heard the gripes about the ending. To have an "A, B, and C" choice to end a game based on countless Paragon and Renegade endings is offensive. It's clear to me Bioware wanted to wrap up the series. It seems like they really rished it, even though they had a huge amount of time to work on it. The multiplayer is surprisingly enjoyable, and t made even better when played with friends. The countless unlockables are a nice touch, and free map packs are quite amazing. However, smooth gameplay and captivating multiplayer are not enough to save the game from its deplorable story. This is made worse when you remember that the reason you play a Mass Effect game is for the story. There's even a "narrative" difficulty setting for the campaign that tones the enemies' difficulty down to as though they are being controlled by toddlers. Overall, the game is worth a buy for die hard fans, but you'll end up trading it in after a few weeks. Don't expect the hundred of hours you put into Mass Effect 2 for this game. Expand
  83. Apr 10, 2013
    Oh my dear gaming-god(Tex Murphy)!!
    It's like Elvis would announce his greatest show ever, and then came out on stage naked, fat, drunk, balled, and then urinated on the first row people, slung feces on the rest, gave his finger to all, and then shot all the old people.
    Where did all the talent go, that I trusted with my hopes and dreams for Shepard and his friends. I mean how is this
    Oh my dear gaming-god(Tex Murphy)!!
    I mean how is this possible;
    To write arguably the best story in gaming history(ME1), come up with two of the best bad guys in space(Saren and Sovereign)
    Then go on to make ME2 witch fixed all the problems from the previous game, only lacking bad guys with character.
    And then this.....
    Did they have a stroke, are they smoking crack, did someone replace their head with G.W.B's?

Now it's all ruined. I cant even replay the first two. Shepard is dead to me now. Why you say??
    BECAUSE YOU'VE KILLED HIM STUPID
  84. Dec 5, 2012
    Absolutely loved this game. Well-written and presented sci-fi story in the form of a video game. Hint: you should play the prequels with all available DLC:s to get most out of ME3 - all on insane difficulty, of course. I really do not get people who complain about the possible endings. I found them satisfying. The only flaw I found in this game was that I could not holster Shepards weapon.Absolutely loved this game. Well-written and presented sci-fi story in the form of a video game. Hint: you should play the prequels with all available DLC:s to get most out of ME3 - all on insane difficulty, of course. I really do not get people who complain about the possible endings. I found them satisfying. The only flaw I found in this game was that I could not holster Shepards weapon. Compare that to the mountains of bugs, lack of challenge and interesting content & overall childisness in titles like Skyrim and Fallout 3 & NV, Mass Effect 3 is brilliant game for adults. Hard choises, bad hair days and end of the worlds in galactic scale - just wow! Expand
  85. Dec 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All the choices you made in previous games, all the heartbreaking decisions, the entire Mass Effect lore got flushed down the drain with this disaster piece. Nothing you did in the trilogy mattered because in the end, it was all a story. Nothing really happened. Expand
  86. Jan 30, 2015
    This should have been(and nearly is) the greatest story/character driven RPG of all time, but Bioware made a MAJOR mistake with the final title. This game is absolutely incredible until you hit the last 10 minutes. Honestly maybe even the last 5 minutes, because the story was ramped up and paced so perfectly that the lead up RIGHT UNTIL the ending is once in a generation exceptional. ThenThis should have been(and nearly is) the greatest story/character driven RPG of all time, but Bioware made a MAJOR mistake with the final title. This game is absolutely incredible until you hit the last 10 minutes. Honestly maybe even the last 5 minutes, because the story was ramped up and paced so perfectly that the lead up RIGHT UNTIL the ending is once in a generation exceptional. Then you get to the ending and I don't know if they ran out of money or what, but it completely falls flat and ignores all of the style of the series. It changes from a game about choices building up and coming together to create an epic finale (across 6ish years for people that played the games when they came out) into a 3 pronged choice that ignores every choice made in any of the 3 games and, in a game HEAVILY influenced by film(to the point of having a grain filter naturally active to appear more like a movie) has a final few moments that feel more at home in an ending to a fighting game characters story or even something like a shmup. I'm torn on what to give this game. Its clearly a 10/10 until the ending, but this game is ABOUT the story, A weak ending in TES or Fallout isn't that big a deal because they are different style games. This game is about story and characters and the main concept of the game is basically thrown out the window in the final moment. All I can end up deciding is that the ending SEVERELY impacted my feelings about the entire franchise, and the score needs to reflect that. Expand
  87. Mar 23, 2012
    Why does everyone hate the Ending so much? To me it felt just right! I don't care if they're not that different from each other. For me it really is the journey there that counts. And what a journey that was. This is clearly the best game series i've ever played. Nothing else got me so emotionally connected to the story and characters. I don't easily give 10s, but this one deserves it inWhy does everyone hate the Ending so much? To me it felt just right! I don't care if they're not that different from each other. For me it really is the journey there that counts. And what a journey that was. This is clearly the best game series i've ever played. Nothing else got me so emotionally connected to the story and characters. I don't easily give 10s, but this one deserves it in my opinion. Its one of the rare cases where the game got better with each iteration (after Dragon Age 2 I didn't have much hope left for ME3, but was proven wrong) Expand
  88. Apr 19, 2012
    Thanks Bioware for a fantastic epic. This game is slightly impaired by lofty expectations and warm fuzzy feelings provided by the first two games. As the trilogy moved on it had become more and more streamlined from a gameplay perspective. RPG elements have been whittled down to a small skill tree that quickly maxes out in nearly every area. Is this a problem? Not really, unless you wantThanks Bioware for a fantastic epic. This game is slightly impaired by lofty expectations and warm fuzzy feelings provided by the first two games. As the trilogy moved on it had become more and more streamlined from a gameplay perspective. RPG elements have been whittled down to a small skill tree that quickly maxes out in nearly every area. Is this a problem? Not really, unless you want to play the same games over again. I feel like Mass Effect 2 was the culmination for the series in terms of gameplay, space travel, rpg elements, and fleshed out mechanics that drove the experience like bypassing doors and farming planet minerals mini games. The latter of which might not seem like a big deal but when it's absent it's very noticeable. What mass effect 3 has going for it is a breakneck pace of reaper fighting badassery. It all happens so fast you won't even notice clipping through a 25-30 hour game. Deep relationships are found, love lost, and many companions bear great sacrifice. It's some f the finest story telling in the medium. The ending needs a little work, but the core game is breathless from start to final assault. Want more, the combat is finely fine tuned and it's Sci-Fi gears of war approach is very fitting. As a person who doesn't regularly play shooters and enjoys RPGs more, ME3 delivers a tremendous variety in play style over its predecessors. Not the least of which is thrilling drop in multiplayer that actually effects the man game! Co-op multiple player makes a four man group of strangers band together to fight common enemies. It's a kick seeing all the species and character types in action with all their respective tactics.

It's a great game, a cap off to the series,they only real negative is that like most trilogies the second title remains the best In the bunch.
  89. Mar 8, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a bitter disappointment. I will do my best to briefly explain its flaws without spoiling anything.

1. Very little care was paid to the story. There are many nagging plot holes that will distract you throughout the game. Glaring logical flaws that have existed since Mass Effect 2 and even Mass Effect 1. More importantly, characters behave very erratically in this game, seldom true to their original characterization in the previous games. BioWare took the easy way out in most cases, killing off characters at obvious moment. The plot is predictable (I found myself calling out what would happen hours before it did) and the characters and concepts new to Mass Effect 3 are either ridiculous (Kai Leng, the future space ninja) to just shallow (James Vega, token mexican-american space marine). The endings, suffice to say, will leave you in shock with how lazy they were crafted.

BioWare did impress me with how it handled some of its lesser side characters though, I did not expect so many of them to return as cameos and not simply emails saying, "Hi, remember me?"

2. None of your choices impact much in ME3. If you played the previous games, you'll find ME3 a little easier to play with some difficult decisions removed (such as choosing one character or another to live), but overall very little changes depending upon your choices in the previous two games. Almost nothing changes based on your choices in ME3, which is a bit surprising. Not even your paragon/renegade status really seems to influence anything.

This is really wrenching. Major decisions like letting the Rachni living in the first game or not, have no bearing on the game's events in any meaningful manner. But also, deciding who you ally or help or not in ME3 really has no effect on the game's ending... or really much of anything.

3. This game is ugly. BioWare really outsourced its artwork this time. Facial animations and modeling are inferior to ME2. Many big game reveals (a picture of Tali's face) are stock photo touchups (and by that, I mean literally importing a stock photo into photoshop and putting a lens flare over it). Level design is not as creative as in the original ME. There are occasionally some good in-game environments (such as a certain vegetated piece of Tuchanka) but they are few and far between. In order save memory consumption, BW even had to remove the ability to holster your weapon in combat areas. This broke immersion for me, with my character always hunched over looking down the barrel of their gun.

Whoever designed Diana Allers' "dress" should be shot.

4. The voice acting in this game is tolerable, though there are some spotty moments (Wrex stands out at times).

5. The dialogue wheel is horribly dumbed down in this game - I was shocked. Immensely. There is always a "top" or "bottom" choice to pick (two choices) and every once in a while you'll get an 'investigate' option with 3-5 choices there, but less than 10% of the time do you ever get a "middle" option to pursue in dialogue. You're either paragon or renegade in this game, you can't walk the line through any situation. You're either on their side, or you're not.

6. The gunplay is a little improved. Some of the new abilities are interesting. However, level design has not been improved from ME2/Me1, I'd say it's gotten worse actually. A lot of corridors, people constantly shouting at you to keep moving -- you can't even stop to look around and enjoy the scenery you like, or even plan an approach to your enemy. Corridors and guns are pretty much all you can expect in this game.

I did enjoy the aspect of building up an army to fight the reapers though, and for a moment (towards the beginning of the game), I felt a little desperate as to whether I would be able to reach maximum army strength. I thought that the more time I dawdled on side missions, the less chance I would have at beating the game. But I shouldn't have been so silly - of course not. Why challenge the player?

7. The multiplayer is trashy and I don't understand why they wasted development time on it -- besides marketing purposes anyway.

8. The different difficulty selections are nice, but narrative is immersion breaking and insanity is pretty much 'dumb' in some instances of the game, where enemies zerg you.

9. The AI is atrocious. Many encounters in the game are made easy when enemies funnel in through drop points or doorways - you can't just stun them all with a Biotic spell. AI tend to just get behind something and shoot from it.

10. Not a single boss fight was designed well. They feel really tacked on and lame.
  90. Dec 29, 2012
    Come one people! i don't normally write reviews, but i felt compelled to, because the game was really enjoyable, no idea why so many are complaining about the ending, it wasn't that bad, i enjoyed the game and found myself captivated throughout my playtime, there's no reason to trash the game if the story line didn't meet your expectations, its a phenomenal experience. i had very littleCome one people! i don't normally write reviews, but i felt compelled to, because the game was really enjoyable, no idea why so many are complaining about the ending, it wasn't that bad, i enjoyed the game and found myself captivated throughout my playtime, there's no reason to trash the game if the story line didn't meet your expectations, its a phenomenal experience. i had very little performance issues, and i highly recommend this if you enjoyed the other two titles, don't let the user reviewed put you off trying this out, for once the game critics got it right. Expand
  91. Mar 20, 2012
    An absolutely amazing finish to one of the greatest sci-fi trilogy's ever. The game brings all of what makes Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 great and rolls it up into one epic game. For all of you who dont understand the ending you really should open your eyes a bit more. This game was incredible this entire series was amazing and will be lauded for years to come.
  92. Mar 22, 2012
    OK, I really loved ME1 and 2. I anxiously waited for the 3rd game and see how is it going to end, what is going to happen to the characters and the galaxy. Up until the last 5 minutes of the game, it was completely blown!

But, suddenly, the game took a U turn and started going downhill fast.It betrayed not only me for insulting my intelligence, but it insulted the game itself. It ended without explaining anything or giving any kind of closure. And on top of it, it doesn't make any sense, not even for fiction standards.

The reason I am giving a score of 0 is the ending. If I were to score the game prior to seeing the ending I would have given it a 8 or 9.
  93. Mar 7, 2012
    Very sad for a once great company.
    Bad dialog
    Using sprites for background characters
    Can't import faces from ME1
    The ending is literally copy/paste from Deus Ex
    Tali's face is a bad photoshop from a models website
    The vast majority of the time there are only 2 dialog options
    The list goes on

It really is quite pathetic
  94. Jan 16, 2013
    Anyone who played the previous Mass Effect game and still thinks that this one is good in comparison is just a delusional liar, this sad excuse of a game isn't even HALF of what the previous one was and the conclusion of the story is just unbelievably bad I wonder how is it possible to utterly destroy such a promising franchise.
  95. Mar 9, 2012
    The Mass Effect series has carried much promise. The first two games were real winners and successfully implemented the notion of player choice influencing the plot in meaningful ways. It's hard to think that with such a demonstrably successful formula in their possession BioWare could do anything to damage the series, let alone ruin it. But that's exactly what they've done--in asThe Mass Effect series has carried much promise. The first two games were real winners and successfully implemented the notion of player choice influencing the plot in meaningful ways. It's hard to think that with such a demonstrably successful formula in their possession BioWare could do anything to damage the series, let alone ruin it. But that's exactly what they've done--in as little as five minutes. Of course, I'm talking about the ending everybody is in fits about. From a plot perspective, the ending to this game is unforgivably bad--a true facepalm moment in the history of gaming. The game purports to have numerous endings, but the reality is that this isn't true. They are, for the most part, the same. Mass Effect 2 had much more variance in its endings, which is ironic considering Mass Effect 2 had to account for an upcoming game when mapping out its endings. Mass Effect 3 had no such constraint, and yet it funnels all your choices into what is the same ending at its core.

I rated this game a 1 because the ending is truly THAT bad. It's just horrible.
  96. Sep 4, 2012
    YOU MUST GET ALL THE DLC. With that this is the best Mass Effect. EA stripped out 5GB of content for the initial release. That is about one third of the game. Without it the game is total crap and deserved to get panned.. When a gold edition comes out in a year or so with all the DLC at a good price get this title for sure.
  97. Mar 12, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 had me laughing, crying and truly entertained for 35 hours. It deserves recognition for pulling all those emotions out of a player, and to do it so consistently. The action and continuing romance of the series blew my mind. The developers listened to its fans when improving these two aspects of the game. My Love Interest (Liara) was so well written, and the time that herMass Effect 3 had me laughing, crying and truly entertained for 35 hours. It deserves recognition for pulling all those emotions out of a player, and to do it so consistently. The action and continuing romance of the series blew my mind. The developers listened to its fans when improving these two aspects of the game. My Love Interest (Liara) was so well written, and the time that her and Shepard did have together was meaningful. Playing this trilogy has been an honour and I hope Bioware continues creating titles that span numerous games like they did with Shep because after a span of 3 games, I felt like I really knew those NPCs and I was emotionally invested.

Bioware also has a special place in my heart for creating same-sex characters and they will always have my respect for making that happen with a high-quality story.

Day 1 DLC? I don't care. Bioware makes the kind of games that I want to play, and if they create more content, I will gladly pay for that content.
  98. Mar 11, 2012
    A great sequel, with enhanced gameplay mechanics as well as bringing back aspects of the original that were missed, and a story that does not disappoint.
  99. Mar 19, 2012
    There is no way my post here will contend with 1,454 negative reviews of the game ... but I thought this was a wonderful experience. I'm just giving my 9/10 to say that I disagree with the legions of whiners out there. Seriously, you're overreacting.
  100. Mar 13, 2012
    I don't understand what people are talking about. Granted, it is a bit depressing but the best entry in the series. There is so much to it. And the ending isn't disappointing as people are pointing it out. In fact, it was a very suiting one! Don't listen to people, they are nuts!

1. Apr 11, 2012