Mass Effect 3 PC

5.4

1. Jul 1, 2013
    After the dust had settled and the brutal "star child" wars have been waged, I returned to ME3, and it still serves as the definitively example of how to disappoint on all levels.

This game must have been designed to be a blockbuster with all those troublesome expenses related to quality cut out. The depth of the universe is gone, replaced by petty 3rd party dialogue microcosms that read like bad soap operas. The gameplay is as simplistic and vapid as the ending- even the hardest levels offer only random chance as a mechanic rather than strategy. Level design, if you can even call it that, is reduced to a corridor with walls to hide behind. If you are on a planet there is a nice background of a vibrant world that you will by no means be able to interact with ever- kind of a final "f-you" from EA.

There is more, so much more, but I'm getting tired and my love of the first two games can only create so much antipathy towards this one.
  2. Jul 3, 2013
    Repetitive game! After 3-4 hours playing the game is going to get boring.
    Bad and boring K.I. and sometimes unfair difficulty.
    Only for fans! For people who never played such games its wasted money.
  3. Jul 24, 2013
    First off I'd like to tell you from where I come
    I finished all the games mutiple times and I read the three first books.
    I know all about the indoctrination theory and any other fan fiction ending. I gave the other two games both a perfect rating although they had big flaws because I am very keen to the mass effect universe. I must agree to the general opinion ME3 is BY FAR the worst
    First off I'd like to tell you from where I come
    I finished all the games mutiple times and I read the three first books.
    I know all about the indoctrination theory and any other fan fiction ending.
    I must agree to the general opinion ME3 is BY FAR the worst of all Mass effect games though it has its strengths and this game definatly is not a 4.8
    Yes the Ending is bad and I dont understand why they even wanted to change it.
    If people want to spoil them selves they shouldnt have read the leak originated on neoGAF.
    Anyway It was nice to dive back in to the ME universe once more even though the story line of the game wasnt all that good
    even though you were able to port your old ME2 save into ME3 this didnt matter at all.
    Bioware just went with it that the player played all the ME2 DLC which is not always the case.
    the war rating had NO influence at all and yes the endings.. well you know the backslash
    The game had its good parts though too.
    The Soundtrack again was alsolutely superb following the more orchestral style of ME2.
    Visuals also were better than the other two games, and well the gameplay went a long way butis now actually playable as a cover based shooter. Or at least to big titles like Gears of War not an absolute catastrophy anymore.
    I absolutely recoment the first two mass effect games and if you enjoyed those you will at least want to play the third one.
    And this what it comes down to: This is not the grand finale we hoped for but it still is the finale and even though I cannot understand Bioware not just putting the Indoctrination theory slyly into the game via free DLC and makeing the recond straight once again we are stuck with what we have.

The Multiplayer is fun to a certain extend, I played it about 20 hours but the micro transactions bug me still had a lot of fun with a friend in that mode.

This is not a trrible game. And its not a bad game its just mediocre.
    the fault of the game failing so badly in compairsm with the first two you might push to EA, or to Bioware itself
    it still is worth while, but I wouldnt spend anythjing above 25€ on it.
  4. Jul 25, 2013
    Mass effect 3 is a fitting conclusion to the mass effect saga. It boasts significantly improved gameplay fluidity and mechanics, as well as a more varied campaign. The story is emotional, hard hitting, and diverse. The games visuals have been improved a lot, and the pc version looks quite spectacular despite and aging core engine, and runs smoother than the previous games to boot. In termsMass effect 3 is a fitting conclusion to the mass effect saga. It boasts significantly improved gameplay fluidity and mechanics, as well as a more varied campaign. The story is emotional, hard hitting, and diverse. The games visuals have been improved a lot, and the pc version looks quite spectacular despite and aging core engine, and runs smoother than the previous games to boot. In terms of streamlining which I hate the game is in between mass effect 1 and 2, the major disappointment in the game is the planet exploring, which has been stripped down. Imported save games determine a lot, from entire characters no longer existing in the story to conflicts that play out entirely different.Multiplayer is fun, and is not required to get the best ending in the game. In the end, mass effect 3 is special. As good as mass effect 2 in storytelling, and almost as good as mass effect 1 in rpg-like skill/item medications and exp distribution. My favorite in an acclaimed series. Expand
  5. Sep 4, 2013
    Mass effect 3 will have a special place in my heart, as my first rapist. They said when you were a kid never to take candy from strangers, never go into their creepy van, and never enter their homes, well the stranger was EA and they raped us, good and well.

Their master plan involved deception and building the hype with excellent writing and clever storytelling, and they decide to end it by raping the fan base, and destroying years of hype, destroying one of the most original sci-fi franchises in order to make a profit.

I have learned my lesson and will never, ever again purchase another product by EA ever again on release date, i will wait until other suffers before i decide if i want to be a part of the carnage or not.
  6. Aug 31, 2013
    I played this game for about an hour, walked back into town and traded it straight back in. Being new to the franchise I instantly disliked the clunky-ness of the gameplay and controls. Not as many choices and too many cut-scenes for me to get into the game.
  7. Sep 24, 2014
    Mass Effect 3 is a phenomenal experience, and a fitting end to the Mass Effect trilogy. The stakes have never been higher, the action never as intense, and by the end of the game, when you arrive back at Earth with every fleet you've gathered and finally bring the fight to the Reapers, it would be hard to not at least cheer for the Galaxy that you've known and loved for three games,Mass Effect 3 is a phenomenal experience, and a fitting end to the Mass Effect trilogy. The stakes have never been higher, the action never as intense, and by the end of the game, when you arrive back at Earth with every fleet you've gathered and finally bring the fight to the Reapers, it would be hard to not at least cheer for the Galaxy that you've known and loved for three games, finally putting aside old grudges and conflicts to work together as a united force. Bioware also hasn't held back in the emotional scenes of Mass Effect 3, from the opening scene where a Reapers destroyer mercilessly destroys a shuttle escaping with a child on board, to the deaths of many main characters and the nightmares that Shepard goes through, this game really pulled at my heartstrings. Of course, there is the ending, which caused much controversy for its abrupt end without providing resolution to long time fans of the series, however as I only played the game after the release of the Extended Cut DLC, I was satisfied with the ending, it was not the best way to end the series, but it was fine in my honest opinion, and overall, Mass Effect 3 was one of the most amazing and compelling games I have ever had the pleasure of playing. Expand
  8. Nov 22, 2013
    After mass effect 1, i was momentarily put down by the gameplay changes on ME2. However, after a while, i enjoyed it. The same happened with the changes between ME2 and ME3. But this time, i never really managed to overcome the inial bad feeling. I think that ME3 gameplay should have left more close to ME2. Besides that, the other big problem i have with this game is about the ending,After mass effect 1, i was momentarily put down by the gameplay changes on ME2. However, after a while, i enjoyed it. The same happened with the changes between ME2 and ME3. But this time, i never really managed to overcome the inial bad feeling. I think that ME3 gameplay should have left more close to ME2. Besides that, the other big problem i have with this game is about the ending, which is something that has been talked about to death. Still is overall a very good game and there are moments in the story that are truly unforgetable (others, however, are truly forgetable...) Expand
  9. Nov 16, 2014
    Although most of the reviews are negative, i must say i'm happy with the game overall. The end, tho a bit disappointing, in my opinion, fits (not perfectly) the story constructed so far. Is there a better fitting end? Yes, i believe so, but the presented alternatives are not that bad; but a surviving Shepard would be better, for sure. The major flaws of the game are not in the ending. ItAlthough most of the reviews are negative, i must say i'm happy with the game overall. The end, tho a bit disappointing, in my opinion, fits (not perfectly) the story constructed so far. Is there a better fitting end? Yes, i believe so, but the presented alternatives are not that bad; but a surviving Shepard would be better, for sure. The major flaws of the game are not in the ending. It has many bugs, some inconsistencies in story line and lore. For example, in ME2 Samara told Shepard that only 3 Ardat-Yakshi existed (her daughters), and we (usually) killed one of them in game. Now in ME3 there are so many that they need a Monastery to remain apart and isolated from society.
    There are some places to go and many side quests to do, but the only place where you do spent some decent time is the Citadel. There are not huge places with many quests to do, like in ME2 where you spent some good hours in Ilium, Tuchanka, Virmine and Omega, just to name some. The side quests also seems a bit shallow (end too fast)...and with exception of the some moments at the last part of the game, the quests are fairly easy to accomplish.
    There are some humor on the dialogues, but it seems that, through all the game, you have less options (and even less people to talk to) than you had in ME1 and ME2. The mechanics of armor and weapons and damage are also worse as they were in ME1 and ME2. You buy the upgrade of you current weapon, so shotgun 1 is bought into shotgun 2..3...4 and so on, which takes the "happiness" of finding a new upgraded version of your current weapon. Armor customization has its benefits, but it's a bit tricky to compare different armor configurations, since you lack the "all info in one screen" tab, so it is harder to see if a +10% shield shoulders do the benefits you're looking for. Mass Effect 1 did a great job in this camp.
    Here's another problem: percentages. All improvements - weapons and armor - are upgraded by percentages. This is problematic in terms that if you have a low damage weapon, and want to upgrade its damage (in a scenario where you like the other aspects of this particular weapon, like accuracy and reload speed), a 20 % dmg increase won't even show in your graphic readings of that weapon. You would get some results only if there were in game improvements around 200 or 300%. So all is in absolute terms, which in this case is not a good option. A numeric version would be better (like increases damage by 70 points or such).
    The reapers interfering on galaxy map traveling is a bit pain, and you hardly do some good deed in your travels, because exploration is in short supply here too. I miss Ilium, i miss all those colonies and random quests, but most of all i miss the heavy rpg element. There are too much cinematic sequences and fewer interaction in game. Overall i'd say you have less choices than the 2 previous titles. Bioware saw this so clearly that the next game on the franchise will feature back the old exploration of ME1 (with a better version of the vehicle Mako) and, with some luck, some good space exploration with had on ME2 (like docking on deranged space station). This surely is more an shooter with rpg elements than the otherwise. It is a good game, don' t get me wrong, but surely it was rushed into completion, and those of us who spent hundreds of hours playing the first 2 titles surely will miss a lot of the good elements presented on the past.
  10. Mar 31, 2014
    Let's call this game what it is, a POS game. From the the word go Shepard's fate is sealed. Bioware spit in my face and kicked me in the groin. All my choices were rendered meaningless. In ME 2 an Arsai told me the rachni " Would burn clean the sky." I thought this meant they would come save me when things seemed hopeless. In other words they were the key to defeating the Reapers. BiowareLet's call this game what it is, a POS game. From the the word go Shepard's fate is sealed. Bioware spit in my face and kicked me in the groin. All my choices were rendered meaningless. In ME 2 an Arsai told me the rachni " Would burn clean the sky." I thought this meant they would come save me when things seemed hopeless. In other words they were the key to defeating the Reapers. Bioware "fixed the problem" when they killed most of them off by the Reapers.

When I first read about Mass Effect Bioware had just finished Knights of the Old Republic. They were making a trilogy where your actions in all three games would affect the ending in third one. Bioware lied to me to the tune of 160 bucks. They only gave one ending with four options. In order to have your actions truly affect the ending, a happy ending has to be possible. The extended cut DLC is nothing more then damage control and selling Mass Effect 4. For me though, Bioware has noway to correct the mess they made. I can only hope they pissed off enough people so there is no Mass Effect 5.
  11. Apr 12, 2014
    this pathetic excuse for an rpg game was designed with multi player in mind primarily. the single player experience is only an afterthought thrown into multi player maps. radical departure from the masterpiece of a single player game mass effect 2 was. if you played mass effect 2 and liked it do yourself a favor and give me3 a miss.
  12. Oct 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game is one of the worst games i've ever played
    it completely destroyed what ME stood for

Gameplay
    The gameplay is a TPS Gears of war clone,forcing you on action sequenceshorde mode to finish the levels
    all you have to do is point and shoot,point and shoot
    ME2 removed many RPG elements from the original ME1,but this game,this abomination,it destroyed it completely
    for example,in ME2 you could chat with squadmates and they could tell you random things that would get you in a long and interesting conversation with various investigate options,here is different,you get a 1 minute long conversation at best,and the autodialogue takes 90% of your conversation away,and after that said conversation after 1 main mission,you think you can talk with them some more?
    NO,they greet you randomly with 'hey' 'hi' 'hi shepard' like Zaeed in ME2 did..that pissed me off so badly
    i hated the Zaeed system in ME2,that's why i never spoke with him at all in ME2
    The interactivity is reduced to none on the ship,you don't have a reason to check out the other parts of the ship
    The dialogue wheel is reduced to 2 options,and doesn't appear so often,since Shepard talks on his own for 30 minutes before you can do something,and that something is another shooter section
    they force you to do shooting sections over and over,long shooting galleries
    i remember in ME1-2 there were missions where you didn't even have to use weapons
    exploration has been dumbed down to a pacman like game
    you scan the solar systems with a circle like transmission that detects items on nearby planets and attracks the reapers,if they reach you there's no space battle or something cool,it's game over
    so retarded
    side quests are ridicolous,you overhear people talking about a random object lost in the reaper conquered space and you automatically have the quest,you have to do the annoying search minigame with 3 loading screens and then give it to them for 10.000 credits and sometimes a war asset
    N7 missions are like 5-6 of them,and are ripped straight from the multiplayer
    The Story

the story is bad,but the kind of bad that would make you facepalm for the entire game
    Shepard is warped from the Normandy (ME2 ending) to Earth,and 6 months have passed.
    WTF? what shepard said to the illusive man in the ME2 ending?
    'the reapers are still out there,and i'm gonna stop them without sacrificing our species' soul'
    yeah,one that does want to stop the reapers goes to Earth to be jailed.
    spectre authority?Doesn't matter
    all you did before doesn't matter,at all:
    you could do whatever you want and all you get is a slightly different line of dialogue instead of another
    the rachni for example,a critical choice in ME1
    is completely invalidated,the rachni are there,regardless of what you have chosen
    WHY GIVE US THE CHOICE AT ALL?
    all it changes it's a number
    that's all it changes in ME3
    EMS,when in ME2 we had flags that determinated who died or who survived here is a number that,you've guessed it,doesn't matter,it just determinates if the space magic device is intact or not
    each story arch is forced and boring
    screwing over lore whatever they could
    like the Geth and the Quarians
    there are many other story **** that you can imagine

Action or RPG 'mode'
    What the hell is this?
    is some kind of pandering to COD?
    stop this **** so tired of it
    from the description
    RPG mode would give you total control over what your character says
    Action mode all dialogue becomes autodialogue,renegade options
    but it's not like this,at least not in the 'RPG' mode
    Autodialogue sucks out 90% of what you say and what you do
    Shepard becomes a retard approving all they say to him without being able to ask questions
    Tali's Face ....,bioware,why did you **** it up? why do a Photoshopped image,A BAD PHOTOSHOPPED image FOR A CHARACTER THAT WE WERE WAITING 5 YEARS TO SEE? you heard right,they didn't even bother to give her a 3d model,it's all hidden like in ME2,only that photoshopped image pisses me off. especially when i know that a certain Mary Sue (Liara)is given a lot more focus this game has made me hate her I hate Mac Walters and Casey Hudson too. Including the multiplayer Why the hell did you include multiplayer? it's stupid,cheap and idiotic it's just a overglorified Horde mode from GOW with different playable characters of course,then there's the infamous ending it's the worst ending of all time,i cannot express how much hatred i've got for it,and how much i've got it for the game now so much potential,wasted Advice Stay the hell away from this piece of crap
  13. Feb 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing, better than mass effect 2 in my opinion. Generally loved the ending which was mature and bleak (ie realistic). Genuinely bioware has greater a galaxy in which you actually enjoying spending your time and where you care about the characters and their futures, which is a triumph in my opinion. There is certainly good replayability here to recruit the different races etc. honestly cannot fault this game. The ending was bound to be controversial but with the free extended cut dlc I honestly believe it was awesome start to finish. Expand
  14. Feb 25, 2015
    I had to post a review on this because of how many people rated a zero. the game was great, yeah its hard to follow up ME1 and ME2, but thats why the series is great. I dont need to detail the game, the franchise speaks for itself. sorry to the haters that it didn't meet your expectations, sounds like a user error.
  15. Mar 8, 2012
    Reasons for a bad score (i would normally give this game an 8.5 but the ending really sucked and the only way for bioware to take notice is to take an extreme score).
    -movement on the battlefield, not as smooth as mass effect 2
    -the find the resource being as boring as scanning planets -side missions have nothing to it -overall story on cerberus -some speech was very childish especially in
    -movement on the battlefield, not as smooth as mass effect 2
    -the find the resource being as boring as scanning planets
    -side missions have nothing to it
    -overall story on cerberus
    -some speech was very childish especially in the beginning (who wrote this script?); some was excellent tough
    -lipsinc off
    -very disappointing ending
    -ce dlc
    -no original missions (except for the one where you hack into the server mainframe)
    It is certainly not as bad as dragon age 2, but I am still disappointed; maybe I expected to much.
  16. Mar 26, 2012
    Mass effect is a great ending to the trilogy , albeit with a sever flaw. The graphic are great , but there is no way to change the setting, and console limitation are forcing some design decision. For one you can't change FoV, you can't change graphic setting much, and you are forced to watch the back of a shepard taking 1/5 of the screen the whole time (Typical console trick to avoidMass effect is a great ending to the trilogy , albeit with a sever flaw. The graphic are great , but there is no way to change the setting, and console limitation are forcing some design decision. For one you can't change FoV, you can't change graphic setting much, and you are forced to watch the back of a shepard taking 1/5 of the screen the whole time (Typical console trick to avoid calculating world geometry in a part of the screen). Often I found myself unconsciously using the mouse wheel to zoom out or in to go into FP , and sadly this is not possible. Graphic option include anti aliasing, screen resolution, brightness, and shadow, that's it. Still the graphic are great, only it is a bit sad to be saddled with console limitation. Sound wise , It is relatively good. Music is good. Sound effect sound stock or did not leave me with a strong impression. Dialogs OTOH are good sounding, and the sound of the reaper still leaves me a chill in the back. Plot : I found the story fitting. The ending was OKish. On its own I found it OK, what I was sorely missing was to know what happens to the various folk/species taking part into the battle. I won't spoil it for you for the content of the ending, but I had been hoping for a little bit more, like the diagshow at the end of fallout saying you what happens afterward. It does not happen. Nonetheless the ending were satisfying enough for me, just lacking a tad bit. Big big big bad things : the screen at the end telling you to wait for DLC. They could have sparred that, or made it more discreet, as if the main menu "downloadable content checking" was not enough. That blue screen with DLC at the end was .... Over the top. Multiplayer is OK, consist in you and 4 trying to fight off waves, with XP reward and a store to buy items. but is problematic due to 2 things : they tied part of the game (effective military rating force) to the multiplayer. Now some people are playing it so finding coop player is easy. But what in 2 month ? What in 6 month ? If you find nobody you WILL be stuck at 50% rating, thus making it harder for you to get certain ending. This is definitively a BAD BAD BAD decision. Overall, I enjoyed Mass Effect 3 very much, but I think it has been clearly bracked by financial decision, and attempting to cash in, by having day 0 DLC (a clever marketing and salesman would have made it a week 1 or week 2 DLC) the shop/multiplayer influence on single player and the problem described as above, and the endings, which looks actually as if they had to make them on the quick due to financial reason. All in all, the lasting appeal of this game is IMHO lower than for ME1 and ME2 and the console influence has make it much more evident the lowering of the RPG element in favor of FPS element. I would still recommend it to anybody having played ME1 and 2 , but as a stand alone I cannot recommend it too much. Final verdict : 7. Would be a 8 if not for multiplayer undue influence on single player Military rating, and would be a 9 if only they had added , even a few still picture telling us what happens afterward as in fallout or other game did. This is after all the END of the trilogy. Expand
  17. Mar 15, 2012
    I have never been so disappointed in a game as I have been in Mass Effect 3. The story, for the most part, is well-constructed and engaging--essentially the kind of stuff you'd expect from BioWare.

But the ending? It's the epitome of a deus ex machina plot mechanic. It is random, incomplete, invalidates your choices throughout the entire series by throwing three incoherent and indeterminate "choices" at you and then nothing.

Everything you've done, everything you've looked forward to turned completely meaningless. The questions that need to be asked: Was this deliberately done by BioWare with the intention of selling post-launch "proper ending" DLC to us? In which case, it is a sorely underhanded sales tactic. Was this unintentional and the result of rushing to complete a game that they slapped an ending to it and hoped nobody would notice? In which case, shoddy development shows the true state of what BioWare has become.

Either way, the disappointment remains. The damage is done and for me, someone who used to laud the ground BioWare walked on, I will always be cautious of any and every BioWare game from now on. Clearly underhanded sales tactics is the norm these days.
  18. Mar 11, 2012
    99% of the game is very well done and quite fun. Before the ending I was thoroughly enjoying myself (which is why it gets a 3 and not a 0) I even liked the multiplayer.

Until the ending hit. I don't want to spoil anything, but no matter what you do in the 3 games, you lose, and the ending simply leaves you hanging. and that's absolutely unacceptable. Do yourself a favor, and don't play

Do yourself a favor, and don't play this game - especially if you've played the first 2 games. It will ruin the series for you
  19. Nov 19, 2014
    A good game with a disappointing ending. To be honest, I never really believed the hype about how every choice throughout the series would have a huge effect on the end result of the game, so in the end I wasn't really disappointed. I do think the gameplay is a nice balance of the better combat mechanics of ME2 with the customization options of ME1, though.
  20. Mar 26, 2012
    Well, I enjoyed the first two games, dunno why this one felt so cheesy and horrible right off the bat to me. Veryconsoley feeling.
    I always found the series a little cheesy, stiff, and b-movie grade, but this one, I couldn't even stomach for more than an hour.
    So there's my uninformative text to allow me to give it a lousy score of one.
  21. Mar 6, 2012
    After Dragon Age 2, I didn't believe that bioware will have what it takes to throw out another bad game. What has gone wrong with this once top-notch developer? Are they all short sighted with only cash in mind, or have they fired all those who actually cared about making a good game with pressure from EA to crank out more dough. What happens in the end, non of us would know. One thing weAfter Dragon Age 2, I didn't believe that bioware will have what it takes to throw out another bad game. What has gone wrong with this once top-notch developer? Are they all short sighted with only cash in mind, or have they fired all those who actually cared about making a good game with pressure from EA to crank out more dough. What happens in the end, non of us would know. One thing we are sure though is that Bioware is no longer the esteemed developer it once was, its reputation going down the drain in a year, with ME3 being the final nail to the coffin. Disappointed. Expand
  22. Mar 6, 2012
    The result here was massively predictable, given the controversy surrounding EA/Bioware's recent policies regarding their other games and their fanbase in general. All of which can be overlooked if ME3 turned out to be a decent game, which was not the case.

The end of ME2 actually set up a great cliffhanger and promised great things to come, and ME3 drastically feel short. This is mainly due to its focus on romancing options, having the personal trials of the crew overshadowing the main story, and an oversimplified explanation to tie up everything. Gameplay offers very little innovation from the last two games in the series, and the squad mechanics are downright retarded.
  23. Mar 6, 2012
    I thought I was lucky at the time to secure an early copy for myself and my partner. By the time I was 10 hours in, I was left wondering what happened to this series. Where did it all go so wrong? It's as if Michael Bay created this game in just how lame the story ended. Didn't help that there were 2 stars from Jersey Shore in it either.

Audio and music were pretty good for the most

Audio and music were pretty good for the most part, but there was nothing as cool as M2 playing at the end of ME1. I'd recommend people just youtube the ending and save themselves the agony. I'd also suggest you start praying that if they start a Mass Effect MMO (the universe is really quite good for this) that they hand it to a different company as TOR got boring fast.
  24. Mar 6, 2012
    Played it for an hour. It's completely unfun. The levels are EXTREMELY linear. There's no sense of discovery or anything, just a generated static level with a few objects thrown in, and a straight line to follow. If I were 8 again, I would still be getting bored by how uninteresting the levels and objectives are.

The main quest is just a compilation of side quests where you meet

The main quest is just a compilation of side quests where you meet characters from Mass Effect 2. You might ask "how can you know if you only played for an hour?" It's easy to tell since it's the exact formula from Mass Effect 2 (which I actually played through, somehow). You do a billion "data retrieval" quests where you just infiltrate some building that has data in it, kill a billion enemies that you couldn't possibly die to even with the highest difficulty on, and then go back to your ship and make some sort of progression.

It's disgusting that you can actually just rush a game and expect to make money. I'm sure they'll sell 80 billion copies somehow, even though it's really nothing more than a 65$ expansion pack.

I give it a 0/10 because I'm actually annoyed even though I played it at a friend's house, and didn't pay for it. I haven't been this disappointed for a game since Dragon Age 2 (ANOTHER BIOWARE TITLE!, WHAT A SURPRISE?!).
  25. Mar 11, 2012
    Honestly, this game was an utter disappointment. It was going somewhat well (would have got maybe a 6-7 from me) up until the ending. The endings are so bad, so... well... completely out-of-place and unsatisfying, that it justifiably knocks 3-4 points off of it's entire score. Yes, there is fan outrage. And I think justifiably so. It is a short game, it ignores all of your decisionsHonestly, this game was an utter disappointment. It was going somewhat well (would have got maybe a 6-7 from me) up until the ending. The endings are so bad, so... well... completely out-of-place and unsatisfying, that it justifiably knocks 3-4 points off of it's entire score. Yes, there is fan outrage. And I think justifiably so. It is a short game, it ignores all of your decisions (uniting species that have been warring for hundreds, if not thousands of years); there is no reason to be a completionist in this game, it honestly isn't worth it.

Want to find out what happened with your LI's? Search youtube. Want to know how the series ends... search youtube. Want to buy the game? Don't bother, search youtube...

The most disappointing end to one of the best series that has come out in the past few years. My biggest regret is there are no returns for PC games.
  26. Mar 7, 2012
    It is on par with the rest of the series, and I'm finding that it appears to have quite a bit more in common in 1.

Definitely a good game, and in no way a 0 or a 1. Hell, even at it's worst, this game would at least rate a 7 or 8. It might be a homophobia issue, or perhaps people just want to get after EA... but ME 3 is a solid game if you liked the first two.
  27. Jun 3, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ahh, the ending...THE ending...IMHO the "destroy" ending was the best to choose. But after I decided to go with it, I expected some sort of animation-closure fiesta if you know what i mean. Despite all of the negative comments and review regarding the end, I just couldn't believe that is true, so the hope existed. So, let's go with recap - Earth was saved, soldiers were celebrating + ; Normandy crew ended up on some world, we don't know how far from Earth and could they return to the homeworld - ; Were all of our team aboard the Normandy? If not, what happened to them? - ; Mass relays destroyed (ok, we have been warned), but what happens with other races? - ; Guy breathing, people are convinced that's Shepard...so am I + ; Did the people rebuilt the Earth? Or are they somewhere else (next part of ending)? - ; After the credits, there is a kid with his grandfather on unknown world and the grandfather talks about Shepard and what happened while mentioning that was a long time ago. Well, how long has it been? Are the people again unaware of other life forms (actually, I think he mentions something like that), can the people travel throughout the universe (Solar system and beyond, but not far)? - ; Buzz Aldrin's voice (Stargazer) + ; Ending recap conclusion -> +(3), -(4) = - = unacceptable

But this is game review. The entire game, except the ending, was breathtaking and definitely worth all the playing time invested throughout the series. Mixture of dramatic, bad ass, serious and humorous moment in this game is something all the other games want and hope to achieve. I would give the game 9, maybe 10, but if we account the weak ending, I must decrease my score. I seriously hope the "ending DLC" will bring more info about the aftermath of the game.
  28. Mar 6, 2012
    This is coming from someone who liked the first Mass Effect and thougth that the second one was pretty good too: Dont buy this game. It's dumbed down piece of over marketed trash.
    It's painfully obvious that most of the money spent on this game went for marketing and buying good reviews. That does not make this a good game, not by a long shot.
    The voice acting is mediocre at best and the
    The voice acting is mediocre at best and the dialog itself is horrible.
  29. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass effect 3 was fine through the whole game as game play went but the ending was awful to say the least, i was a big fan of the other mass effects this one was ruined by the poor ending being too abstract and poorly executed. the game play was overall fun but the ending... Expand
  30. Apr 5, 2012
    Mass Effect was a great game. Mass Effect 2 was very simple but still a good game. Mass Effect 3 is just not very good. It seems like Bioware is on a crusade to address every social issue known to man and squeeze it into a 40 hour game. I play to have a good time and get away from real world crap. I wont comment on the terrible ending as thats been covered.
  31. Mar 19, 2012
    "We purposely made the ending awful so we can make up for it in the DLCs"

Go kill yourselves Bioware. A perfectly good game ruined by a garbage and cliche ending. It's quite literally like they're trying to ruin the game.
  32. Apr 15, 2012
    i am still recovering from the shock , the entire game right upto the last ending part was amazing , and then it fails so hard , i don't think there is no excuse for ruining such a awesome game this way , on top of that , they are extending the horrible ending with a dlc nice :X what good is a game if the ending has been a joke
  33. May 3, 2012
    The game graffics just the same as the ME2 with a little update. The game easier and faster than the ME or ME2. And not to mention the awful story... just a question for BioWare: Why the f**k did you fired Drew Karpyshyn out (ME and ME2's writer) and changed him to, no name writers such as Mac Walters and Neil Pollner? I can give this game 1 point because, I'm a huge Mass Effect fan and IThe game graffics just the same as the ME2 with a little update. The game easier and faster than the ME or ME2. And not to mention the awful story... just a question for BioWare: Why the f**k did you fired Drew Karpyshyn out (ME and ME2's writer) and changed him to, no name writers such as Mac Walters and Neil Pollner? I can give this game 1 point because, I'm a huge Mass Effect fan and I used to love these games. Either way, if you wanna destroy this game history, play with it, and !no complain! because a lot of people warned you.
    PS.: Do me a favour EA/BioWare/Legendary Pictures/WB: Do NOT make a movie from this game 'cause I do NOT want a piece o cr*p from it. This game and the story already bad enough (and not because someone die at the end or not if you "lucky"...)
  34. Mar 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While I raged against Bioware for ruining Dragon Age series with Dragon Age 2,and feared they might do the same with Mass Effect I was positively surprised with Mass Effect 3,while not perfect it is pretty good combining elements of Mass Effect 1 and 2 in one game,personally I dont mind the endings,though I would like more explanation and closure,something that they should fix with a DLC.I do understand that most players expected a fairy tale ending "and they all lived happily ever after" but I was positively surprised by the generally grim endings.Fairy tale endings are rather unrealistic,especially in consideration that galaxy is fighting against vastly superior enemy.Still the endings need more closure and explanations,current endings leave a lot of things open to interpretation though it is possible they wanted to make them like that.

Pros

-Smoother and more dynamic combat though I dont like the too fast power cooldown time (enables constant spamming of powers meaning that on lower difficulties you can win most battles relying on powers alone)
    -Decisions from Mass Effect 1 and 2 have a significant impact on the experience of Mass Effect 3
    -Lots of cutscenes that add to immersiveness and cinematic feeling
    -Feels more realistic and darker than 1 and 2
    -Interesting missions and twists (for example EDI becoming available as a squadmate)
    -Beautiful visuals and great performance
    -Haunting music

Cons

-Endings need more closure and explanation
    -EMS has little effect except for getting a third ending which is synthesis (they should make it similar to Mass Effect 2,low EMS means dead squadmates and other allies)
    -Not enough squadmates (Mass Effect 2 spoiled me with the number of squadmates)

Hopefully they will bring in some great DLCs that will fix loose ends,add more to the story and give closure to endings.Still it is pretty good game and I was positively surprised.Low scores on Mass Effect 3 present here reflect the hate for the endings,prior to endings I am sure most of the haters really liked the game.
  35. May 5, 2012
    It's a good game, not a great ending for the series. I enjoyed the journey, the cinematic experience and the characters though. The RPG mechanics are too simple for my taste.
  36. Mar 9, 2012
    Too little ammo, global cooldown on all abilities defeating use of them in place of fireaarms. Removal of barrier and biotics only having thier full effect on weak enemies.

The ending didn't tie in with the rest of the game at all.

Frankly I advise everyone to play Mass Effect 1 and then write their own ending. The spin off on the story that began in Mass Effect 2 isn't worthy of it.
  37. Mar 6, 2012
    Mass Effect 1 is the best PC port in the trilogy. more customizable keyboard bindings , walking stance on/off, you can holster your gun, better writing, better fov. This game is lacks all of these, they don't even care about PC players anymore. I can not fathom why they do not want to take advantage of the power of the PC and release high resolution textures, like they did with DA II. TheMass Effect 1 is the best PC port in the trilogy. more customizable keyboard bindings , walking stance on/off, you can holster your gun, better writing, better fov. This game is lacks all of these, they don't even care about PC players anymore. I can not fathom why they do not want to take advantage of the power of the PC and release high resolution textures, like they did with DA II. The game also has fewer dialogue options and more auto dialogue, they really really want the Gears of War derpy console market. Expand
  38. Mar 19, 2012
    Gave it 0 not just because the ending dismantles the whole third part of the franchise, but effectively renders vain and misguided the previous 2 installments. None of the choices matter, none of the endings are accurate and follow the established lore and rules of the game universe.
  39. Jun 7, 2012
    Before I started ME3, I had finished both ME and ME2 a few times, including DLCs. Based on rather negative comments, I was worried that ME3 will be a big disappointment... but it's not! If you liked ME and ME2, you'll surely like ME3 too. Amazing story and adventure continues and it is not true that the end doesn't make sense, as many complain. It does. It may just require a bit moreBefore I started ME3, I had finished both ME and ME2 a few times, including DLCs. Based on rather negative comments, I was worried that ME3 will be a big disappointment... but it's not! If you liked ME and ME2, you'll surely like ME3 too. Amazing story and adventure continues and it is not true that the end doesn't make sense, as many complain. It does. It may just require a bit more thinking. I recommend the game! Expand
  40. Mar 6, 2012
    Computer version is rough around the edge technically, but story? Unmatched. Soundtrack? Unmatched. Roleplaying? Unmatched. People need to deal with the way the story plays out, just because you don't like what happened to a particular character doesn't make it a bad game.
  41. Apr 9, 2012
    This game showed great promise for being GOTY 2012 but based on the fact that the whole ME series so closely copied other sci-fis the whole prothean device idea was figured out by me and my brother before the game was released. Despite this let down the game had some great features throughout which were suddenly pushed to one side by that horrific ending. Considering the how game was basedThis game showed great promise for being GOTY 2012 but based on the fact that the whole ME series so closely copied other sci-fis the whole prothean device idea was figured out by me and my brother before the game was released. Despite this let down the game had some great features throughout which were suddenly pushed to one side by that horrific ending. Considering the how game was based on the choices you make through out these had no effect on the three ghastly choices at the end which all end the game in exactly the same terrible way Expand
  42. Mar 18, 2012
    After completing the game one has to wonder whether Bioware diverted all their resources to Star Wars - The Old Republic. One can only hope that is the excuse for this ending to the series. Regardless of the excuses or, perish the thought these "endings" were actually planned out, the Nihilistic ending made me regret having spent time even bothering to develop a character. Perhaps it's aAfter completing the game one has to wonder whether Bioware diverted all their resources to Star Wars - The Old Republic. One can only hope that is the excuse for this ending to the series. Regardless of the excuses or, perish the thought these "endings" were actually planned out, the Nihilistic ending made me regret having spent time even bothering to develop a character. Perhaps it's a joke. Or a calculated business move to offer DLC that lets you have an ending where you actually have some impact. As such this mess is such a shame for what had been such a promising series. In my humble opinion it is that bad. And it's sad. Not the sadness of any ending but the saddest thing in the world: Wasted potential. The wasted potential from a sloppy meaningless ending to an otherwise previously well executed series. I have lost the will to replay Mass Effect due to the ending. If that was Bioware's (and/or EA's) intentions, then well played EA/Bioware. I won't bother to return. If this is the same attention they plan for other games then I wish them well. I will not be playing them. Expand
  43. Jun 10, 2012
    I have played both versions 1 and 2 to the end several times over and while I'm only starting chapter 2 on the 3rd game I very much like what I'm seen so far. Based on the huge numbers of negative reviews I came very close to passing this game by, but I'm glad I gave it a try. It is a whole lot better than people have been saying. Good graphics, good crisp game action along with wellI have played both versions 1 and 2 to the end several times over and while I'm only starting chapter 2 on the 3rd game I very much like what I'm seen so far. Based on the huge numbers of negative reviews I came very close to passing this game by, but I'm glad I gave it a try. It is a whole lot better than people have been saying. Good graphics, good crisp game action along with well developed characters and story. The game allows you to import saves from of the prior verisons and the decisions you made in those games play important parts in this game. Over all this is a hybrid action shooter coupled with RPG elements. The Biotic and powers have the role of magic systems in similar games. I've been reading that many folks have had problems with the ending, but I believe the most important thing is if the game is fun to play and does it drag you into the story so you care about the characters, your decisions and the outcome of the war. In fact, the decisions and consequences in this game are much more difficult and far reaching than in the other two, a fact that has caused me to replay missions I'd already won because I couldn't get comfortable with the moral decisions I'd made. Anyway, don't pass this game by you will be sorry. If I had one nit, it is there is not as much DLC for this version, but I hope EA works to put a little more content into the single player instead of focusing most of their work on the MPlayer verision. Expand
  44. Mar 9, 2012
    This game is amazing, the best game i ever played. I must say its the most emotional game ever with a great finish. I also admit that i cried once or twice feeling sorry for the characters from the older games and i really left there sadness and fear. This game is a masterpieace.
  45. Mar 11, 2012
    First, since the question of the genre seems to be so important to a lot of people, I want to say that I do not usually play action games. My favourite genres are roleplaying and turn-based strategy, and I think two of the most brilliant games ever developed are "Baldur's Gate 2" and "Planscape: Torment".
    "Mass Effect 3" is no classical RPG like BG2 or Torment, but neither can you do it justice by labelling it a simple or even "dumbed-down" action game. Sure, there are lots of action in ME3. Few care to mention, however, how well this action is implemented into the overall concept of the game and how utterly believable it feels. This is no action for action's sake. This is no Roland Emmerich kind of action, spectacular but hollow once the smoke of the explosions has settled. The game makes you care about this universe in danger and creates an atmosphere of extreme urgency and desperation that is manifest in almost every single action sequence. The fights are not very tactical, but neither are they too easy or banal. They feel grim and desperate and immensely important (and what is equally important: they are a lot of fun and very satisfying). Characters you care about (and many of whom already appeared in the previous games) die, and their deaths really leave you shocked and sad, because this is something one does not normally expect in this kind of game, but also because the characters around you actually feel like real living people (or aliens). And this is where the game really shines. After or during missions, the patient listener is rewarded with lots of dialogue. The writers avoided almost every cliché you'd expect and deliver very good â
  46. Mar 6, 2012
    I agree with this: Quote:

I agree with this: Quote:

Origin - Unacceptable. Day 1 DLC - Unacceptable. As far as the rest of the game is concerned: Mass Effect 1 was an exciting, innovative new type of Action-RPG. It had an epic story in a unique, diverse universe, very good writing, great characters and real choices for the player. Little is left of that. In their desire to cater to the fans of shooters and casual games, BioWare has reduced the RPG elements, trivialized the dialogue and taken away much of the character development and choices that make a proper RPG. The story that started in Mass Effect 1 as an interesting and mystic space opera has been transformed into a predictable soap opera with mostly mediocre, sometimes outright terrible, writing. It might still be better than most of the other stories in video games these days, but that's of course not very difficult, and it's nowhere near the quality that BioWare used to deliver. Probably the worst example of the inability of the writers are the endings. On the other hand, perhaps they too were imposed by EA, to reduce the required work and costs. One complaint against Mass Effect 1 was the somewhat uninspired combat system. This had already been replaced in Mass Effect 2 with a clone of the usual cover-based shooters. Not very innovative and in my opinion still quite repetitive and not very challenging, but many players seemed to enjoy it. So in that regard, Mass Effect 3 certainly delivers the expected. But that's of course not nearly enough to make it a great game, and it's also not the reason why I play BioWare games or RPGs in general

/endquote
  47. Mar 6, 2012
    I came expecting the continuation of the world of Commander Shepard and his battle against the Reapers. What I got was "Kill Everyone : The Movie"
    The gameplay (What should be a major factor in any game, "RPG" or not) was severely lacking, feeling like contemporary shooter #8153. The animations looked like some kid's first Garry's Mod video. And the ending, the ending is just plain bad. I hoped Bioware would make ME3 the best one of the trilogy, but this has to be the worse of the 3.
  48. Mar 6, 2012
    Terrible game. Graphics are horrible, lip syncing is way off, story is predictable, textures are awful, combat is boring. This game is not RPG, its Action. Do not buy it!
  49. Apr 6, 2012
    I think Mass Effect 3 is a good game overall. It could use more filler content and more creativity/variety with the ending, but the game is decent. All these people complaining about the ending and rating the game extremely low still played through the entire game to see the ending. If a game is bad enough for me to rate below a 5 I'm definitely not going to be finishing it. I like theI think Mass Effect 3 is a good game overall. It could use more filler content and more creativity/variety with the ending, but the game is decent. All these people complaining about the ending and rating the game extremely low still played through the entire game to see the ending. If a game is bad enough for me to rate below a 5 I'm definitely not going to be finishing it. I like the addition of multiplayer as well. It could use some different game modes, more maps and general variety, but it's fun as is for a while at least. Expand
  50. Mar 10, 2012
    Turtle-paced game development, extremely shoddy combat, etc...

This game is bad.
    Turtle-paced game development, extremely shoddy combat, etc...

This game is bad.
  51. Mar 6, 2012
    I bought Mass Effect 1 on release, and it was great. I rented Mass Effect 2 and it was a bit of a letdown, but I still got some enjoyment out of it. I decided to try this even after all of the horrible things I have heard about it. This game is just a huge disappointment. Wonky controls, texture and graphical issues, retarded dialogue, and (oh boy) super politically correct gay sexI bought Mass Effect 1 on release, and it was great. I rented Mass Effect 2 and it was a bit of a letdown, but I still got some enjoyment out of it. I decided to try this even after all of the horrible things I have heard about it. This game is just a huge disappointment. Wonky controls, texture and graphical issues, retarded dialogue, and (oh boy) super politically correct gay sex scenes. Not to mention the ending is a huge copout. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this game. Expand
  52. Mar 21, 2012
    Bioware has once again provided a excelent game with mass effect 3. From the amazing storyline, to the perfected shooter experience, the new customizable weapons, and the multiplayer that to be honest i was a little worried about they have came through once again and provided a great game that I would recommend to anyone.
  53. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly in this game, everything good they add they add something terrible to even it out. The biggest improvement, by far, is the gameplay. They added tons of new weapons, rolling in cover, and to make Trench-Warfare a bit easier, quick-killing(grabbing). The singleplayer isn't as monotonous, in Mass Effect 2 it was recruiting and helping squad mates with the occasional mission against the collectors. However, the squadmates are a let down. Javik and James are the only new ones that haven't been seen before(forgive me if I'm wrong). Garrus, Tali,Liara, and Javik are the only alien squad mates, and there's no Drell or Salarian squad mates, much to my dismay. The graphics and animations are pretty much the same, if not slightly better. You can still upload from Mass Effect 2, so you aren't starting from scratch. For the ending, I am quite furious about it. Anderson is a fixed death (alongside other Mass Effect 2 squadmates like Legion and Thane) and apparently the indestructible Reapers are led by a ghostly kid who is also the Catalyst, a componet for the Crucible that you spend a lot of time looking for. Also, 2 randomly chosen squadmates will appear with Joker on survival island at the ending, not saying a word. However that's something that they're changing, so I will not be giving this game the 6 it deserves with it. As I mentioned before, many former squad mates are fixed deaths and die no matter what you do. However, all of the deaths, even the optional ones, are fitting. Thane dies saving a life rather than removing it. Legion dies either in defense of his species or to save them from annihilation. Mordin CAN(but doesn't have to) die curing the genophage, his biggest mistake. Samara CAN die fulfilling the code. Of course they add a heap of stupid and soulless characters, including a lesbian and a gay person. They also added Kai Leng, which I have concluded is a female after watching Thane hit him in his nonexistent balls 10 times. At least you get to slay him when it's over, I didn't hesitate for a nanosecond about the renegade interrupt. Also, they added Co-op Multiplayer which is the biggest new thing out of all the epic updates. You can FINALLY play as Salarians, Turians, Quarians, Asari, Drell, Geth, Krogan, Batarian, and even as a Asari Justicar. It's hard to implement slow motion attacks like Biotic Charge and such when others don't want random slow-mo, but they executed it very well. And a very prevalent topic is the day 1 DLC. I hated it too, but it's not a good reason for plop a 0 down as your score. The new War Assets idea was brilliant. Now you can do side quests and scanning parties for something more important than research material(removed, sadly). Anomalies and random missions were pretty much worthless in mass effect 2, except being very fun. Now they are fun and benefit you by giving a War Asset. Depending on the final decision in Mass Effect 2(destroying the Collector Base or not) you need a certain amount to keep Shepard alive and to keep Earth from utter destruction. A HUGE problem for me was the enemies. Besides having fairly stupid 1-shot kills (unavoidable once it starts), there's only THREE FACTIONS. It would be fun to have a boss on wave 11 in multiplayer, like a Geth Colossus or a Gunship, but no. In fact, in single player, the final boss is the infamous Marauder Shields, in which you have no choice but to use the limitless ammo M-3 Predator(Which I never used after I found my first Weapons Bench). At least they added gun modifications like extended barrels, and upgrading the guns to I and V and X. All in all, this game is excellent but if you're a poor starving person on the streets, prepare for the attack of the DLC. Expand
  54. Mar 11, 2012
    Fan from the first hour, this episode might be my deepest disappointment in my game history. Mass effect took foot in this rare category of the space opera, and today it commits a shameless suicide in the **** Call Of game butt hole. Why would the developers destroy this unique franchise by turning it in a total void of personality... 25 missions based on the following rule : "meet an oldFan from the first hour, this episode might be my deepest disappointment in my game history. Mass effect took foot in this rare category of the space opera, and today it commits a shameless suicide in the **** Call Of game butt hole. Why would the developers destroy this unique franchise by turning it in a total void of personality... 25 missions based on the following rule : "meet an old buddy from previous episodes, help him, watch him die/disapear somewhere". Why waste time on the multi-player side when 99.9% of this game reside in the solo side ?
    Why every game editor enforce the "multi-platform" downgrade rule with the **** texture ever on PC ?
    Didn't Bioware studios learned from DAO 2 ? It's the exact same scenario... Turn a brilliant unique game into a tasteless piece of **** for console kids.

**** you Bioware for ruining what could have been the best game trilogy ever.
    I seriously hope you'll announce a Mass effect 4 just to show us that your stupidity knows no boundary.
  55. Mar 24, 2012
    THE BEST OF THE SERIES! I'm 90% completed with the game, and didn't want to play through the ending before writing my review. Reason being, I don't want to change the overall game score (which is damn near perfect) based on what happens with the end of the story line. Basically... this game balances the best of the first two and adds a ton of choices on top to change the way the gameTHE BEST OF THE SERIES! I'm 90% completed with the game, and didn't want to play through the ending before writing my review. Reason being, I don't want to change the overall game score (which is damn near perfect) based on what happens with the end of the story line. Basically... this game balances the best of the first two and adds a ton of choices on top to change the way the game plays out. Each decision weighs heavily on the outcome... not merely for kicks, it actually affects your ability to fight the reapers! I am playing through as an Adept and have played the same class since ME1... the new abilities are tweaked perfectly and with armor customization, I'm able to achieve the exact build type I wanted (pure Biotic). The game makes it easy to jump in with no backstory at all, if someone wanted to start playing the series in this last adventure, however it's recommended that you at least play through ME2 so you have an understanding as to what major events pre-curse the scene you're entering. I do have a Gripe though.. the cover system isn't perfect by any stretch. I've gotten caught between covering between two objects involunteerily... just trying to come out of cover on one and jumping right behind the next. The aiming is tightened, the battles themselves are very exciting, and many times it forces you to be strategic on your placement of the squad to avoid flanking. It's impossible to play this game and not have fun in the combat. Of course the story line is amazing... the characters and dialogue continue to be the heart of this game, whether it be Joker falling for EDI (the artificial intelligence that takes on a hot robot form), or Anderson talking about how hard the reapers are hitting Earth... it all blends together so well and becomes immersive! Amazing game. Don't hesitate buying it based on these user reviews complaining about the ending... BAH, you'll miss out on an amazing experience. Two thumbs up! Expand
  56. Mar 6, 2012
    If you look closely at Mass Effect 3 you will see the last tiny bit of Bioware's soul rot away, consumed by EA forever. As someone who has been a fan of their games from Baldur's Gate to Dragon Age: Origins, seeing how far they have fallen has been a painful experience. Writing has deteriorated to the most basic black and white, with most dialogues presenting only 2 options rather than 3.If you look closely at Mass Effect 3 you will see the last tiny bit of Bioware's soul rot away, consumed by EA forever. As someone who has been a fan of their games from Baldur's Gate to Dragon Age: Origins, seeing how far they have fallen has been a painful experience. Writing has deteriorated to the most basic black and white, with most dialogues presenting only 2 options rather than 3. As was feared the series ends with a Deus Ex Machina (quite literally as the ending was almost entirely stolen from the game Deus Ex). Further evidence plagiarism of a desktop wallpaper of all things in the game's FINAL SCENE does not help Bioware's case. The whole thing seems like it was rushed with little care about the game's quality, as if they expected people to buy it automatically no matter how bad it was (and I'm sure they do). Creativity seems truly dead from that studio at this point. Do not buy this game. No not rent it, do not waste the bandwidth of pirating it. Vote with your dollars in the slim hope that Bioware may someday return to its senses. Expand
  57. Mar 16, 2012
    Do not be fooled by any of the negative comments. These people do not know of which they speak. The Mass Effect story is purely amazing. I went and get copy's of all 3 no DLC just the games. I played through all three back to back. This is THE of the most complex and powerful story I have evens seen. It can be seen though the eyes of anyone. Each person will come up with a differentDo not be fooled by any of the negative comments. These people do not know of which they speak. The Mass Effect story is purely amazing. I went and get copy's of all 3 no DLC just the games. I played through all three back to back. This is THE of the most complex and powerful story I have evens seen. It can be seen though the eyes of anyone. Each person will come up with a different meaning. This game has more than earned a 10. This is the pinnacle of all story driven games. I recommend that you get the entire series. Play them back to back, skip the DLC, and really focus on the story. I personally wish to thank Bio Ware for this amazing game. It has been to long since I have had to contemplate the ending to any story. Expand
  58. Mar 13, 2012
    False advertising, lies and an ending that ruined the entire franchise. Nice work! I only gave it a 1 as the game up to the ending was fun - for a 3rd person shooter. If I had never played ME before and chose "action" mode over RPG and did not give care about the characters, I would have scored it an 8+ but as it stands, it's a travesty and a slap in the face.
  59. Dec 10, 2012
    Well... You can really see the difference that EA taking over Bioware has made in this game. Essentially, they improved the visuals, and left everything else by the wayside, making what should have been an outstanding final title in a great series just another mediocre sci-fi shooter. The cutscenes and voice acting are weak compared to ME1 and 2, the storyline, while interesting is notWell... You can really see the difference that EA taking over Bioware has made in this game. Essentially, they improved the visuals, and left everything else by the wayside, making what should have been an outstanding final title in a great series just another mediocre sci-fi shooter. The cutscenes and voice acting are weak compared to ME1 and 2, the storyline, while interesting is not very innovative, especially when they had so much to work with from the previous games. One thing that really annoys me is the combat; it is more twitchy and the controls are not as intuitive as the previous games. Add the ridiculous FPS style hit counters and you get a sub-par combat experience. The game does have some nice visuals and the scale of the combat/war is cool at various points throughout the game, however that isn't nearly enough to redeem this.

What EA did to this series is a travesty... It could have been so much more, and I have never been so dissapointed with a game. It's really too bad Bioware sold out to the big kids before finishing off one of their signature series.
  60. Mar 7, 2012
    To me, the Mass Effect franchise was something that symbolised and epitomised what a sci-fi video game could be. The only other francise to have captured my mind in the Science Fiction videogame genre like this was Homeworld. I have fond memories of the original Mass Effect; ones that I'll likely never forget, like meeting Vigil on Ilos the first time and hearing the fate of theTo me, the Mass Effect franchise was something that symbolised and epitomised what a sci-fi video game could be. The only other francise to have captured my mind in the Science Fiction videogame genre like this was Homeworld. I have fond memories of the original Mass Effect; ones that I'll likely never forget, like meeting Vigil on Ilos the first time and hearing the fate of the Protheans.

...and now we have a Prothean as a squad member. Drew Karpyshyn must be able to taste the bile in the back of his throat.

Where to begin with Mass Effect 3? Origin? Sexualisation of characters that don't need sexualisation? The Jersey Shore effect? Day 1 story integral paid DLC? Dumbing down of gameplay mechanics? Two choice conversations? Your decisions mean nothing? When in doubt, retcon earlier games? Cerberus? Mac Walters? Forced emotional engagement? Shepard having post traumatic stress disorder about things that should be water of a ducks back? The list goes on, and on, and on.

There is a lot wrong with Mass Effect 3. A lot. It's the whore direction the francise has taken. Bioware, I am disappoint. I'm giving ME3 a 1/10. It's the best I can do.
  61. Mar 15, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is a cemetary of hopes.
    1. They promised us to remove terrible mining system but gave us even more boring and annoying one.
    2. They promised that every our descicion will matter. No descision affects ANYTHING in the game. More to this - all your previous descicions from ME1 and ME2 are discarded and you are forced into almost linear storyline. 3. Your actions have no
    Mass Effect 3 is a cemetary of hopes.
    3. Your actions have no result - should you cure genophage or decide to keep it - THAT DOES NOT AFFECT ANYTHING.
    4. Only your score matters, endings decided Deus Ex style - you just have 3 descicions that determine what ending you get, and your score determines your survivability.
    5. The endings is one of the most terrible in game history. To the point where people will gladly buy DLC with a single new ending.
    6. Renegade and Paragon scales are completely useless in the game.
    7. the game degraded from RPG-Shooter to Shooter with a bit of RPG elements.
    It is common for such projects to attract unrealistic expectations from fans but here we have a situation when even features, promised by developers were not fulfilled or implemented awfully.
    As Dragon Age 2 was a disappointment, Mass Effect 3 is a disappointlent of 2012. I only hope new Bioshock will not fail us.
  62. Mar 9, 2012
    Cover system isn't nearly as bad as ME1 but worse then ME2. Jennifer Hale voice acting is brilliant. Visually ME2 beats ME3. My imported Shepard looked like almost completely different person. In the end all those choices you made over 120 hours of gameplay (3 games) don't really matter. It all boils down to the decision you make in last 15 minutes of the game and no matter what you do, itCover system isn't nearly as bad as ME1 but worse then ME2. Jennifer Hale voice acting is brilliant. Visually ME2 beats ME3. My imported Shepard looked like almost completely different person. In the end all those choices you made over 120 hours of gameplay (3 games) don't really matter. It all boils down to the decision you make in last 15 minutes of the game and no matter what you do, it leaves a lot of unanswered questions about what happens to Shepard friends and brothers-in-arms. Bleh. Expand
  63. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I remember the very first time I played through mass effect. It was an enthralling experience. Never before had a game allowed you to explore unknown worlds in your awesome tank and fly across the galaxy in a state of the art super-ship. The game had an excellent upgrades system with hundreds of different types of armor and customizations that could be implemented. The storyline was exciting and original. Something that would have made gene Roddenberry proud and the ending to the game was satisfying yet left you begging for more. Mass Effect 2 was a shell of the 1st game. Gutting the original of all its great customizations and removing the ability to drive across the vast terrains of uncharted planets. Instead the game allows you to 'scan' planets (an extremely irritating and dull task) for their minerals. No longer did you have the amount of customization that was present in Mass Effect 1. The game was now more of a 3rd person shooter, like gears of war. I enjoyed Mass Effect because I felt it was the anti-gears. Focusing on storyline and character interactions instead of violent battles and never ending waves of enemies. The combat in Mass Effect was elegant and sleek, and because of all the upgrades you could become very powerful with nearly unbreakable shields and weapons that should kill your foes in 1 shot. Mass Effect 2 does away with all those powerful upgrades and instead gives you **** in its place. The same goes for mass effect 3, but I'll get to that in a moment. Mass Effect 2 has a rather stupid storyline. When Mass Effect 2's first trailer came out it was for nothing more than shock value. Shepard 'dies' in the 1st few moments of the game only to brought back immediately and you are swept into working for Cerberus (so much for the free will we were given in Mass Effect). Overall the storyline in the second game felt like nothing more than filler material. Continuing on to Mass Effect 3, Bioware has completely cut ties with any similarities from Mass Effect 1. The game features combat along the same lines as Gears of War. It almost feels as though Bioware was trying to copy gears of wars combat. Another major complaint that I have about the game is the addition of politically correct homosexual relationships added into the story. Shepard was a very straight military man in the first two games. However now he now has the so called 'choice' to become a homosexual. The choice to become a homosexual is forced upon you. If you speak to the homosexual character and do not choose to use your paragon influence on him/her the game gives you renegade points instead. I decided not to talk to the homosexual character at all because every time I did he/she was trying to hit on me. There are also numerous homosexual references in the game and at one point if you are the male Shepard you will even hit on Vega (who is straight) when he comes up to your quarters for a chat. These politically correct homosexual references are just another way to force homosexuality on the masses and I personally disprove of Bio waresâ Expand
  64. Mar 11, 2012
    A fantastic production, a decent FPS, and a slim RPG. The story-telling and voiceover work is phenomenal, and it's just beautiful to look at. The gameplay is extremely easy, however, but that's true of the first two games as well. RPG and sci-fi fans will love the world-building and character exploration, even if there's a lack of depth in the mechanics. Forget all the whining about theA fantastic production, a decent FPS, and a slim RPG. The story-telling and voiceover work is phenomenal, and it's just beautiful to look at. The gameplay is extremely easy, however, but that's true of the first two games as well. RPG and sci-fi fans will love the world-building and character exploration, even if there's a lack of depth in the mechanics. Forget all the whining about the ending and romance choices (the amount of complaints on this is sad to see in 2012), it's a journey well worth taking. Play it as a trilogy; to get the most out of this, start with the first two. Expand
  65. Mar 6, 2012
    This has been some ride, since Mass Effect first grabbed my attention. I have played through every bit of the first two games, and loved every minute. Now the final comes, and I feel equal parts excited and sad. Sad that it will have to end, but thrilled to get a chance to play it.

And it does not disappoint. The emotion - always the strong point of Mass Effect - is brought to another level. The characters that I have come to care so much about are even more fleshed out. And the goosebumps at certain points of the game...well, I won't spoil. Just get it.
  66. Mar 6, 2012
    The first thing that sticks out for me here upon purchasing it, it's suppose to be an emotionally driven game... yet EVERY character either sounds like a Vulcun or Data from star trek. The game has no emotion what so ever. I'm sorry, am I missing something here? I'm disgusted by the clearly paid off media acting as advertisements for the game rather than reviewers none of them evenThe first thing that sticks out for me here upon purchasing it, it's suppose to be an emotionally driven game... yet EVERY character either sounds like a Vulcun or Data from star trek. The game has no emotion what so ever. I'm sorry, am I missing something here? I'm disgusted by the clearly paid off media acting as advertisements for the game rather than reviewers none of them even attempted to pick this (obviose) problem up.â Expand
  67. Mar 6, 2012
    Play this videogame then you will understand why it is so bad.

Play this videogame then you will understand why it is so bad.

ent as the years pass by, Bioware decided to dismiss it completely in favour of Michael Bay-grade explosions and the like. Mass Effect 3 starts off almost a year after ME2 where Shepard has donnt RPG standards. The plot is unusually boring, the gameplay is surprisingly lacking, the graphics and animations have barely been touched since ME2, and worst of all the game's ending is the biggest let down I've wit
  68. Mar 6, 2012
    So far this game has hit every mark at least on the PC side. The multi-player is surprising good and I like how they worked it in to the story without making it mandatory. Combat is much better. And the game pays real respect to the first two. About the only thing I really would like to have seen is for Bioware to open this up the modders.

I see all these Zero review scores and I'm

I see all these Zero review scores and I'm thinking a Zero? Get real.
    Compared to WHAT?
  69. Nov 13, 2013
    After all the DLC and extended endings, and having picked it up on sale a year or so after release, I'd say I was pleasantly surprised. Not perfect, and the endings are still pretty weak, but the journey was enjoyable, but doesn't come close to the level of the previous games.
  70. Mar 6, 2012
    >hamburger helper
    >bioshit
    >$900 dlc
    >actually uses sex to advance the plot
    >shit ending
    >average third person shooting mechanics
    >console graphics
    0/10 bioware, step it up
  71. Mar 6, 2012
    Well, I was going to buy this for $60 in the next month, but the introduction of Day 1 DLC has made me skip this altogether. Are you happy EA/Bioware? Your greedy attempts to squeeze an extra $10 out of me has instead cost you a $60 sale. If I buy this at all (and that's a big if), it will be when it is in a bargain bin for like $20 or less. You could've gotten the whole $60 out of me, IWell, I was going to buy this for $60 in the next month, but the introduction of Day 1 DLC has made me skip this altogether. Are you happy EA/Bioware? Your greedy attempts to squeeze an extra $10 out of me has instead cost you a $60 sale. If I buy this at all (and that's a big if), it will be when it is in a bargain bin for like $20 or less. You could've gotten the whole $60 out of me, I was really looking forward to this (I love ME1 and ME2), but your greed has backfired. Don't buy this. EA/Bioware needs to learn that the gaming community won't stand for this pathetic attempt to squeeze more money out of us. When we buy a game, we should get the full experience. If DLC is released, it should come out after the game does, and it should not make you feel like you're getting the short end of the stick only owning the the base game. This is the equivalent of spending money at the movie theater only to be kicked out halfway through because we didn't spend extra for the ending. Expand
  72. Mar 7, 2012
    Then ideas of things that you love changing into something really bad, you at first trying not to notice that or avoid it with hope that things will be better. Then I played ME 2 I thought that things will change and after developers review criticism of game develop a true masterpiece of game world. But then we saw a total failure of DA2 that become a fantasy clone of ME2. After that weThen ideas of things that you love changing into something really bad, you at first trying not to notice that or avoid it with hope that things will be better. Then I played ME 2 I thought that things will change and after developers review criticism of game develop a true masterpiece of game world. But then we saw a total failure of DA2 that become a fantasy clone of ME2. After that we got a clone of WoW in space (KoTOR) that is failure 2. And now ME3â Expand
  73. Mar 7, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is good, very good and yet... that ending, oh yes I do mean one ending, they are all the same sadly. [Its a made up story from a man to his son/grandson.] Though you also get to chose one of three endings at the very end that completely invalidates the other two games within the series and is very insulting. It is in essence a Deus Ex Machina moment, and I kid you not it is literally a God Child that created the reapers that shows up at the end and gives you one of three choices, your galactic readiness, your war supplies, and weather you were paragon or renegade means nothing, absolutely nothing to the story. Though if your readiness and supplies are high people survive which is confusing since I thought it would have an impact on the actual fight but it doesn't at all. Ah if you want to play Mass Effect 3, by all means knock yourself out, just stop before you play the final mission if you want to have a great game experience, otherwise play Mass Effect 1 and 2 which are far superior games. Expand
  74. Mar 8, 2012
    Synopsis review: Mass Effect 3 sure looks great (Models look nice, both characters and levels, and no visible textures problems on the main characters/levels.), yet it has many deep flaws that cannot be forgiven, these flaws are: The ending was horrible, a lot of issues story wise, very weak animations, the level design is mediocre (I said it looked nice, but design of a level does notSynopsis review: Mass Effect 3 sure looks great (Models look nice, both characters and levels, and no visible textures problems on the main characters/levels.), yet it has many deep flaws that cannot be forgiven, these flaws are: The ending was horrible, a lot of issues story wise, very weak animations, the level design is mediocre (I said it looked nice, but design of a level does not equal the quality of the models/textures/UVs.) and to round this list off; There are some issues cornering the gameplay. While being a resident of the Netherlands, I was obliged to actual download this new, and fresh game from Bioware: Through the Piratebay. (Your jimmy can remain unrustled, it is legal here to do so.) Yes, really the Dutch law allows for downloading of everything. Look into our Wetboek van Strafrecht if you don not believe it, Biodrones. Warning: Spoilers. Anyway, time for the main review: After the start-up the menu looked clean and normal, and even for a console-port it had many options within the options menu. I could actually change AA-options, any many other things to! (Poly amount of the characters and levels, resolution of the textures, etc.) I applaud the people who designed the menu, I consider this menu one of the better things of the game. And after playing the game itself I noticed that the animations are very weak, the NPC's walk and run like any random Bethesda character. (For the scrubs, this means that when a NPC decides to run his upper body doesn't show any sign of the running that is going on, it's horrible.) The level design is also pretty bad, while not as bad as the animations, it's still weak. The potential of the nice models/textures isn't fully used in the design of many levels. This might be because of the CoD approach, yet it feels more like a corridor shooter then a game where a full blown assault is launched against the ENTIRE universe. (The last levels really show this off.) For instance take the level where you join up with the Turians: There is a very tiny space where you can walk and find/talk with NPC's. One reaper walking somewhere near the base, and a small vista here and there. It should be: A big and well designed fighter base. This is not the case. That's a bit sucky, Bioware, sucky indeed. Story and gameplay then: The two most important thing in games ever. Story wise everything comes to an end. This is ok, yet it feels cheap: Tali jumping of a cliff, Miranda dying, that doctor alien dying, these NPC's survived almost two games, and now they all die by jumping off a cliff. Blergh. Also some other NPCs are poorly written, from characters that are really stereotypical gay (In a game that takes itself very serious this feels strange and awkward, it's just as bad a stereotypical straight character.) and two NPCs that keep making talking gestures yet they do not speak. And I found this couple of mime players throughout the game, perfect for movies, weak for games. Toke me out of the immersion. My final note is on the very low rating, while Bioware/EA deserves this. ME 3 would get a 5 maybe a 6 out of 10. Yet this very low grade it due to a few events, first off all: Dear Bioware, hiring people who do not like to play video games will get you a 3.2 for your 20+ $ million game. For sure. And going after the CoD audience is even worse, the average gamer is 32 years old, Caucasian, semi-Atheist/christian, that raises the question: Was this game created for the average gamer? In my opinion: Nope. Leave this game be, and if you see it in the shop, place another game in front off it so people don't throw away their money. Sigvatr out.

Edit: After playing the game some more I have seen a lot of sprites. Lowering the score to a zero because of that. Sprites in a 3D game? Almost in front of the player, Bioware please! Shameful Display!
  75. Mar 9, 2012
    What happened to Mass Effect? This was supposed to be the thrilling conclusion to a wonderful space epic. Instead we are given a game which feels like it was written by two different groups. The first 90% of the game (story wise) is compelling and exciting. However the ending and the last hour or so leading up to feel like they were written by someone with no understanding of how to trulyWhat happened to Mass Effect? This was supposed to be the thrilling conclusion to a wonderful space epic. Instead we are given a game which feels like it was written by two different groups. The first 90% of the game (story wise) is compelling and exciting. However the ending and the last hour or so leading up to feel like they were written by someone with no understanding of how to truly write at all. Plot holes opening up all around you and with the endings ripped off from Deus Ex makes me wonder what exactly Bioware/EA were thinking when the final script was approved. The endings completely go against the spirit of the series and more than that they are all essentially the same my making every other choice up to that point completely null. I find it even more offensive that almost all of the RPG elements have become so watered down as to be unrecognisable. The conversation wheel which longtime fans of the series such as myself have come to know and love rarely shows up now. And even when it does all it offers is two ways to say the same thing. Even worse, your choices in the previous two make no really substantial difference in this entry either. Even the illusion of choice is gone. You almost don't get to converse with your crew at all. Instead your interaction is mostly limited to selecting them like you do with Zaeed Massani in ME2 and they talk a little bit while you just stand there. This becomes a big problem because ME3 throws in with no real introduction or background characters who are completely new or have only been featured in the Expanded Universe. I like the voice acting and appreciate that the world feels more alive now with background characters talking to one another when you walk by, that is when the sound doesn't drop out. It's unfortunate that the coders haven't learned anything, all the cut scene glitches are back in full force. Including the one where everyone uses the same assault rifle during the cut scene, regardless of whether or not they can even use one. It's nice to see all characters from the first two one last time, a little family reunion if you will. It's a shame that almost none of them will be joining your squad again. I do like the direction ground combat has taken though the removal of heavy weapons is another negative in my book. The day one DLC feels more like game content that was cut out rather than an actual add on. And having this nearly story essential DLC on day one is just plain greedy.

Mostly though I just can't get around the endings. It feels like a punch in the gut to those of us who were big fans of the first two. It's so out of left field that I almost expect M. Night Shyamalan to be responsible for this travesty. It's almost like ending The Lord of the Rings with Frodo riding a nuke into Barad-dûr with a cowboy hat on. I almost wish it would have been a Dallas-"It was all a dream" ending.
  76. Mar 12, 2012
    ...Every day, with every post i see on BSN, I'm starting to be more and more certain: bioware planned everything. They are geniuses, and the knew how fans are going to react. They hid the clues, they knew we are going to unravel the thing, piece everything together. I pity people who are going to finish the game in the future, because they'll not experience the evolution that is happening...Every day, with every post i see on BSN, I'm starting to be more and more certain: bioware planned everything. They are geniuses, and the knew how fans are going to react. They hid the clues, they knew we are going to unravel the thing, piece everything together. I pity people who are going to finish the game in the future, because they'll not experience the evolution that is happening on the forums, and in everones mind. I recommend every single person who finished the game to join Bioware Social Network in 'Story and Camaign discussion'.
    I'm raising my rating from 1 to 6 now, and when everything people think is confirmed, I'm going to give the game 10 out of 10. BW, you are amazing.
  77. Mar 9, 2012
    Seriously? The hate surprises if it's legitimate. Yes the choices weren't so rewarding as they should be, but the story was epic and the game play was quite awesome. By far the best in the series. My only major gripe was the companions weren't as colorful as previously, but I seriously enjoyed the big levels and more relentless game play. There is greater amount of action, more variety,Seriously? The hate surprises if it's legitimate. Yes the choices weren't so rewarding as they should be, but the story was epic and the game play was quite awesome. By far the best in the series. My only major gripe was the companions weren't as colorful as previously, but I seriously enjoyed the big levels and more relentless game play. There is greater amount of action, more variety, the narrative of the characters tied in nicely with huge story. Tons of guns. The negative feedback feels like a bandwagon jump and an exaggeration of the let down of the choices, but purely on a game point standpoint there was a great deal of dynamic content that I'm definitely looking forward to replaying. Expand
  78. Mar 9, 2012
    Registered to write this review and rate, but will continue with more titles eventually, so dont remove this, ffs.

i did not like this at all, too hyped, origin was forced upon me (yes i knew this already but still it has to be mentioned how horrible it is, i hate ea) also tons of dlc and preorder bonuses that should all have been included in the base game for everyone, not to mention all the day 1 dlc. Horrible is all i can say.

oh and yeah, the gay thing. Really? Disgusting.
  79. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I do realize it will sound a bit strange but if you turn this game off 5 minutes before ending, I would give this game 80%(-20 for combat, they implemented wave system from dragon age 2) Game was thoroughly enjoyable, I even felt moved to the point of tears at certain point, but then came the ending, not only did it seem that developers just ran out of time to finish it, it didn't matter if you are paragon renegade, whatever choices you made you were simply put in front of three choices (bluntly ripped off from deus ex). And to add an insult to an injury all three are basically same just a different color show. With the number of plot holes making all endings confusing, I was mostly angered that it basically ruined the reason to play any three of the installments again, because it will end all the same anyway. Had the retirement house from pinnacle station? forget it. Freed rachni quee? doesnt matter. Romanced someone? Well aside from three f***s you got, that is it. Yeah you saved he galaxy, yeah you busted your hump for three years, but no, you cant get a break. I loved mass effect 1 and 2 but now I wont be able to play it again, because it is pointless. That is why I put only 3, because the ending was so bad that it effectively ruined three games Expand
  80. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First, this game promised so much as in terms of "FUN" that we, loyal fans following Shepard all the way and making sure HE/SHE STAYED ALIVE can only feel bad about the endings we got.
    But don't just take my word for it, see the other 900 people who came here only to share their sadness over this very poorly executed game.
    Shepard movements are confusing, you get rushed through the history, you see lots of characters who were really empathetic die for no reason, while others are left standing without you having an option.
    Some ME2 characters just had cameos, and the worst of all:
    THE ENDINGS. All the endings are crap, and don't make justice to one of the greatest games on history.
  81. Mar 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am horribly disappointed in how the mass effect franchise was mistreated by it's makers.

First of all I have to say that, although Mass Effect 2 took a little dive in quality and storytelling.
    I started this game with high expectations reasoning that they have learned from their little faults in the second game of the trilogy, like too linear storytelling for example.

After I started playing I noticed that the digital acting system was mostly worse than in the first Mass Effect game (which was released 5 years ago!!) and that the story very early in the game on the Mission on Mars already started to fall apart. But more about the story later. It also annoyed me, that they changed the dialoge-system to a intense stupyfied level, understandably for pleasing everyone in the audience. And that is exactly the problem of Mass Effect 3.
    Bioware made such an effort in creating the action and choosing the sceneries, that they forgot to create a coherent story. Many holes started to pop up in the game. For example:
    In the Grissom Academy I met Jack (Subject Zero) which I romanced in Mass Effect 2 and even though she immediately started to kiss Shepard with all passion, my Squadmate Liara, which my Shepard romanced in Mass Effect 1 and 2 (dlc) stood on the sideline without commenting anything, apparently alright with a threesome or so... Bioware stated that there would be definity repercussions by not being loyal to your loveinterest from Mass Effect 1, but there weren't any.

And so it is about the end. I would have easily loved Mass Effect 3 besides it's faults but the end is just a kick in the balls for all folks, who were fans from Day One. That's because all failed Storylineplots fall into, like into a dark, bad writing hole.

The fact that the Crucible was "something" that could stop the reapers without even understanding the technology and the fact that all last civilisations added some parts to it, doesn't even make sense. How can they add stuff, when they don't even know what they are building?
    And the crucible which ends up to be the exact hologram of the child which died on the attack on earth suddenly comes into the story, like the worst macguffin ever, and states that synthetic life can not live in peace with organics. Wait? Why is it the child from earth. Hm. Let me get this straight.. So the crucible is a synthetic who want's to prevent synthetics from wiping out all organics with the explanation that synthetic life would do so with certainty? I mean... maybe I got it wrong but the crucible's existence seemed to disprove it's own theory. Also by creating the reapers, who basically do so he is solving the problem how exactly? My Shepard reconciled the Geth and Reaper, and I also helped EDI becoming quiet human (to a extent which seems very unrealistic) and attached as I am to Legion (he was my favorite squadmate in ME2) I thought: Well, here we go. Now I am gonna disprove the little cruciblekid in a great paragoncoloured choice forcing the story to a reasonable ending at last. But all the choices I made in the three games were suddenly ignored by Bioware and before I could realise what was happening my Shepard sacrificed himself, so that Bioware could create the illusion of a meaningful ending. And as my Shepard fell into the beam of light (I chose synthesis because I couldn't let Legion, the Geth and EDI down like that) I became very depressed, because Bioware lied to us. All along. My choices didn't affect the 3 possible endings at all. It was just an dialogue thing to sell the product.
    And because all the characters that I came to love in the last three games (especially the first) just disappeared behind the greedyness of Bioware, who lost the charm of a small developer-company with all their passion they would put into one game, because they themselves appreciated the characters and the story and the fans. And it wasn't about choices anymore. It was about money.

And if Bioware want's me to every buy a game from them again they have some real apologizing and catching up to do. Preferably in form of no charge dlc's for Mass Effect 3 that mend the lacerated ending of the game so there can finally be some closure to what happened to all my favorite characters.

But the other side of my brain (the left side) says that this won't happen. No at free charge for all I know. Because my favorite game series got raped...
  82. Mar 11, 2012
    The game itself is pretty damn good. Not the best of the series, but you know, pretty damn sold. The thing that bugged me is as you probably know the ending. It annuls everything you have worked for in the past games and DLCs. I have spent countless hours studying the games online, and have got over 100 hours of gameplay combined for the first two games, to get the perfect ending possible.The game itself is pretty damn good. Not the best of the series, but you know, pretty damn sold. The thing that bugged me is as you probably know the ending. It annuls everything you have worked for in the past games and DLCs. I have spent countless hours studying the games online, and have got over 100 hours of gameplay combined for the first two games, to get the perfect ending possible. But, apparently I have to play multiplayer to get the best ending. Bioware will tell you otherwise, but I know what I experienced. And the ending is inevitably grim and hopeless. You just can't get the ending you were working for all this time. I bought every DLC to make sure I had all the assets I needed to fight the Reapers and win. But Bioware would have me denied that. Well, you know what? I will deny Bioware my money. I give it a zero because the ending ruins the experience to such a degree that even though you can replay the game with different choices ... What's the point? You get the same thing over and over. Bittersweet ending with a grimdark future for the galaxy. I honestly regret buying the Collectors Edition. I sold it yesterday to a poor fool who doesn't know what he's in for. If you like Mass Effect series, stay away from this game. It bring your spirits up, only crush you utterly at the end. Expand
  83. Mar 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I finished the game twice. First time with standard Bioware settings and it felt empty and lacking. It just wasn't 'it'. But when I loaded my save from Mass Effect 2 game changed a lot. There was more meaning to what I did, some random NPC-s were changed to my old squad mates and game became suddenly very, emotional and entertaining.

It was very enjoyable experience until ending came... Then I just realised how would it feel to be punched in the... well, you know where by Mike Tyson... three times...

Three nearly identical endings, every one of them equally terrible. There was no meaning to your choices, no consequences, nothing! And then lack of epilogue hit me in the face. Not even some text like in Dragon Age, just small pop-up "Yay! You have become a legend! Now go and buy our DLC-s!"... Worst ending I ever experienced in my 10 years of gaming... So to sum it up, 9/10 for the game, 1/10 for the ending... Just play the game, it;s great... but just before the end turn it off, you won't be heartbroken as I was...
  84. Mar 11, 2012
    Take away the compelling story from the mass effect series and what are you left with? Most people would agree we're left with little more than a sub-par shooter. Bioware often gets a pass on this because the story elements are so strong and interesting. NOT THIS TIME OUT. The story and especially the incomprehensible nonsense ending make for a tale that sucks the awesome not only out ofTake away the compelling story from the mass effect series and what are you left with? Most people would agree we're left with little more than a sub-par shooter. Bioware often gets a pass on this because the story elements are so strong and interesting. NOT THIS TIME OUT. The story and especially the incomprehensible nonsense ending make for a tale that sucks the awesome not only out of this game, but also out of the rest of the franchise which have been building up to an epic ending, where literally NONE of your choices throughout the entire series make an impact. Not having this strong story to keep you going, be prepared to suffer through this sub-par shooter Expand
  85. Mar 12, 2012
    Despite its shortcomings, I did enjoy ME3 and wished it didn't end. The biggest issue for everyone is the conclusion of this great series. It feels like Bioware just gave up trying to make the ending mean something.
    They improved combat mechanics but the battles/missions are still same old, kill all, survive, get to point A, etc.. In the final mission I expected to utilize all of my squad, since they build up this huge battle with entire galaxy joining forces. No, you pick 2 of your squad members and that's it. Although I hate DLCs, I wouldn't give it a 2nd thought of buying if Bioware released a TRUE ending DLC.
  86. Mar 12, 2012
    Worst ending ever. 99% of good game and 1% of destructive and wasting fans minds stupidending...
    Few years of my love for universe was destroyed by few last minutes of Mass Effect 3. BioWare... I'm dissapointed and very sad. It's incomprehensible impact!
  87. Mar 25, 2012
    Looking back, I enjoyed playing Mass Effect 2 the most; to me the story, gameplay and atmosphere rocked big time, giving me a cineastic experience and a feeling of immersion only few games have given me so far. Although ME2 was mostly linear, the sheer variety of satisfying setpieces and well-done scripts/dialogues made "collecting" character for character (your team/allies) and theLooking back, I enjoyed playing Mass Effect 2 the most; to me the story, gameplay and atmosphere rocked big time, giving me a cineastic experience and a feeling of immersion only few games have given me so far. Although ME2 was mostly linear, the sheer variety of satisfying setpieces and well-done scripts/dialogues made "collecting" character for character (your team/allies) and the over-arcing story much fun. I went to every location and even scanned most of the planets for resources, although it was quite tedious. After a few hours in Mass Effect 3 and some satisfying hours in the multiplayer mode (never played 'Gears') I began to realize there was "something missing". And then I started to feel like "please let me just get through this and don't annoy me too much". Kudos to Bioware for creating a great SF-lore/galaxy with many great characters, but in ME3, the whole recipe felt sooo "been there, done that". I went to earth (in order to finish the game) as soon as I could. There were some great moments and some sparks flying on the way to the ending, too, but most of them had to do with already well established characters. "On the way to the ending" kind of expresses it, too. It should feel like "the end is closing in, but I don't want it to end!". All in all, I enjoyed this game but can only repeat there's "something missing". It could have been so much more... Oh, and all the military stuff with Hackett, war map, soldier talk etc.? Boooooooring -.- Of course it's also difficult so begin a story with an invasion which seems to erase a whole planet's population within hours, just to then start flying through a whole galaxy for weeks(?) in order to be able to "fight back"... Expand
  88. May 17, 2012
    Absolutely awesome game. Right up until the last 5 minutes, when it completely drops the ball and ends up smacking of a juvenille 4th rate sci fi novel. This is the weakest of the trilogy. They say the theatre of the mind is the most powerful theatre of of them all.. but that doesn't excuse the vague, lacklustre ending that BioWare saw fit to hack on to this otherwise brilliant original IP
  89. Mar 18, 2012
    Everything that made ME1&2 good games is not here (except graphics...).
    No choice and consequence, 1 (well more than one but all feel the same) ending, other characters are non-existant in this episode no way you'll grow attached to any of them, linear and weak story.
    Everything that made ME1&2 good games is not here (except graphics...).
    Really pissed off, this is how to ruin a trilogy. The product would have some value but compared to the masterpieces 1&2 are, this one is just a 5.
  90. May 16, 2012
    This is what happens when EA gets involved. Doesn't feel anything like the previous two games, crap story, dull cut-scenes with limited interactivity, very recursive game play. Also decisions from previous two games don't mean anything whatsoever. Avoid at all costs for any true ME Fan.
  91. Mar 19, 2012
    Bioware keeps ruining it's name again doing demands of EA . Another huge disappointment sequel to a wonderfull RPG . First KOTOR then DAO and at last ME . This is last time buying a bioware game before reading user's critics .
    ME is not a RPG it is just a FPS including a cheap tv movie story or reverse . Choices (including your choices from ME1 and ME2 ) do not effect anything major in the game . They told about 14 different endings but all looked same to me , just colour difference ::)) .
  92. Mar 21, 2012
    I gave this game 10/10 on the Xbox review, and reading some comments. The galactic readiness meter needs to be patched. I have realised it is pointless. U work really hard to get everyone into the fight, making important decisions and completing sidequests. And the readiness meter stays at 50% !! Till u go kill some stuff in multiplayer, where u can conviiently spend lots of Bioware (EAI gave this game 10/10 on the Xbox review, and reading some comments. The galactic readiness meter needs to be patched. I have realised it is pointless. U work really hard to get everyone into the fight, making important decisions and completing sidequests. And the readiness meter stays at 50% !! Till u go kill some stuff in multiplayer, where u can conviiently spend lots of Bioware (EA Points) on weapons packs. That is a huge fault with this game. That can be patched tomorrow in a flash (although I ran into a few bugs so maybe that is this ?)Despite this, and my last mission having a depressing casualty count. I Would still score this game 8. The more I think about it - what a huge flaw. But it is so incredibly easy to patch. Just make it possible to get single player readiness to 90% and politely tell us when that is reached to go play some multiplayer. Expand
  93. Mar 23, 2012
    It's a good game, the endings suck but I don't understand how people can give a game a 0 if they love it but just hate one thing... sad.

And it did many things better then ME and ME2
  94. Mar 31, 2012
    Fans of the first two Mass Effect games might find the return of the weapons/mods system a little frustrating and the dialogue a little lacklustre and forced. Aside from those two things, the rest of the game is on par with the previous two: action, adventure, awe-inspiring cinematics. The decisions made by your Shephard do have serious consequences in the third game but no one seems toFans of the first two Mass Effect games might find the return of the weapons/mods system a little frustrating and the dialogue a little lacklustre and forced. Aside from those two things, the rest of the game is on par with the previous two: action, adventure, awe-inspiring cinematics. The decisions made by your Shephard do have serious consequences in the third game but no one seems to want to recognise that fact, focusing instead of how little impact they have on the very final cut-scenes and decisions of the game. I don't see any reason why they should.

Regardless of how much people think the ending was disappointing or pick on a few minor problems with the game mechanics, ME3 is still a very good game and hardly deserves a zero score. It falls short of being a 10 experience, but play it through, finish it, give it a few days and you'll start to appreciate how good the game actually is.
  95. Apr 1, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the least successful episode in the saga: you play it because it is a bond that lasts for years, because the vulgar scifi also always has a shot (even if only in some microexperience side), because the mechanical augmentation between phases play with the characters and relationships always work, but basically is a way to appeal to the full only to those who still enjoysMass Effect 3 is the least successful episode in the saga: you play it because it is a bond that lasts for years, because the vulgar scifi also always has a shot (even if only in some microexperience side), because the mechanical augmentation between phases play with the characters and relationships always work, but basically is a way to appeal to the full only to those who still enjoys this kind of epic onanistic Expand
  96. Apr 1, 2012
    Im a big fan of the series and like other people i think the ending was incomplete however for me that wasnt the biggest problem. in ME and ME2 there was a connection in story and you can effectively see the actions you make changes galaxy and open up new path , sometimes you even have to sacrifice one path for other. However in ME 3 there are no connection between missons. Even worse atIm a big fan of the series and like other people i think the ending was incomplete however for me that wasnt the biggest problem. in ME and ME2 there was a connection in story and you can effectively see the actions you make changes galaxy and open up new path , sometimes you even have to sacrifice one path for other. However in ME 3 there are no connection between missons. Even worse at final misson you dont see the effects of your missions. I gathered entire galaxy to help world but no interaction with them ? That game seriously broke my faith in bioware. I think swtor was lousy too and now this. Funny thing is all the game sites say game is perfect, well it is NOT !!! i dont know how much they pay you to write this but i dont even look at game review pages anymore thanks to your inaccurate fanboy reviews. Games ending was only the part of the problem, this game has lost its soul... Expand
  97. Apr 2, 2012
    When the time for change has come, one must welcome it. Mass Effect 3 is in no way a bad game. This game is shot down in flames either by people who dismiss the day 1 DLC or homophobes. Mass Effect was the best of the three, but ME3 is a huge improvement on ME2. I played it on a high-end PC and it looks gorgeous. No glitches, no slowing down. I agree that Dragon Age 2 was a real failure,When the time for change has come, one must welcome it. Mass Effect 3 is in no way a bad game. This game is shot down in flames either by people who dismiss the day 1 DLC or homophobes. Mass Effect was the best of the three, but ME3 is a huge improvement on ME2. I played it on a high-end PC and it looks gorgeous. No glitches, no slowing down. I agree that Dragon Age 2 was a real failure, but it is not the case here. Alright, it is more action-oriented than ME1, kind of in the vein of ME2. But it is definitely not a bad thing. The plot could have been much better, but I think that it fits the series well. Now, there's also the question of the endings. At first, I must say that I was really disappointed. But in the end, it was a very good lesson of life. Sometimes, you must make a choice even though you don't have many options. Life is hard and death is a part of it. The users have taken it too far here. Come on, the user score is almost as bad as Postal 3! Users also complain about the addition of a multiplayer feature. Let me tell you something : it's just amazing. And challenging too. There are a few glitches/bugs that haven't been fixed yet (the flying vanguard bug for instance), but all in all it is nice. Expand
  98. Dec 6, 2012
    Any company that supports false advertising and not completing story critical characters then tries to sell the patched in contact on day 1 DLC gets a ZERO! Gamers have right to expect better.

EA's continuing saga of buying studios with good names then dragging them through the dirt needs to end. STOP BUYING EA PRODUCTS!
  99. Apr 12, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Warning Spoilers ahead:

I must admit I eagerly awaited Mass Effect 3. I was eager to see how all my decision from the previous game carried across. Needless to say I left Mass Effect 3 with some very mixed feelings. However one thing I can say is that 95% of the game is amazing. The story is tight, the characters feel alive, the environment has come to life and the weapons feel unique and powerful. That is to say however until the last 15 minutes of the game.

At the ending the player is treated to what happens to be a complete mistake. The ending breaks all the rules of narrative coherence, contradicts several plot points, introduces alien concepts and characters and creates several plot holes. Regardless of how you played your Shepard, all are treated to the same lackluster, half-baked, ending. Were this any other company it would be understandable. This being Bioware; an entity that has prided on its writing skills, this is shocking. Its as if someone decided to add random, metaphysical concepts in order to generate pointless speculation. This is NOT how one ends a story. Perhaps the best simile for Mass Effect 3 is that of a five star, three course meal. The appetizers whetted your palate, the main courses were splendid and then it was time for dessert. Unfortunately it would seem that someone dropped the dessert, scraped it back up and then threw some crap on top of it. Sure you'll remember the other four amazing courses, but its the crappy dessert that will stay with you. I would consign this game to the rental or discount bin.

1. Apr 11, 2012