Mass Effect 3 PC

5.6

1. Nov 2, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Easily the worst part of the trilogy. And this is not only about the abysmal end. The game feels shallow and short compared to parts 1 and 2. It starts out with introducing a new squadmate, which Shepard obviously knows but the player, unless they have read the comics, doesn't have a clue about. Dialogues are cliche and mostly run on auto. A kid, the one and only one in the whole trilogy tries to force the player into some kind of emotion, which rapidly becomes a nuisance when the dream sequences start. Multiplayer is tacked on in order to catch what the EA crew calls the COD crowd. I don't need it, and I didn't need the overall shooter feel of the game, whereas the real strenghts of the previous games take the backseat. It's fun to play once, but it's not something having a long shelve life, since the seen one seen them all feeling kicks in with a vengeance. Expand
  2. Feb 27, 2014
    It's not perfect, but Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic game. It improved on ME2 in several ways and took some steps back in others, but at its core, I feel like it's a slightly different kind of game. 2 had a very personal and intimate feel, assembling an elite team for a deadly mission. 3 is much more grand and sweeping in its scale and scope, and therefore has a less focused story.

The

The gameplay has seen a steady sense of improvement throughout the series (remember how awkward the first one was to actually play?) and the RPG elements make a more pronounced appearance in the third game, though it is still largely a shooter with some skill progression. The shooting mechanics are more fluid and the weapons and abilities more diverse. The sound design and voice acting are both fantastic (mostly), as is the art design.

As for the writing, I feel like the writers manage the the more intimate and moment-to-moment writing more effectively than the large, overarching plot. the way the Normandy's crew interact with each other and move around on board makes the ship feel much more alive than ever before. There were plenty of nice touches, from meeting old friends to little in-jokes and fan service. Unfortunately it seems like the team wrote themselves into a corner with all of the branching decisions in past games, and not all of them paid off in meaningful ways.

And finally, there's the ending. I didn't like it. I thought it was a cop-out and honestly it made next to no sense and was very thematically different from the rest of the story. It was unsatisfying and some of the fan-made theories that cropped up afterwards were much better. However, I respect the creative team's position and think that DEMANDING a new ending is childish and a sign of "gamer entitlement." The extended cut made the ending as good as it could have been without fundamentally changing it and in the end, it really is about the journey and not the destination. I had a blast playing though this game as well as the whole series. ten minutes of unsatisfying drivel at the end is a bummer, but this is still one of my favourite series of all time, and I wont let that ruin the hundreds of hours that I've poured into it.

All in all, this is a Mass Effect game and I can look past awkward design choices and some poor writing to just enjoy the ride and hope for more in the future.
  3. Nov 3, 2012
    Fantastic game - combat and presentation are simply at the best and this game sets a new standard to 3rd person shooter games, for sure! The story itself, while I agree that the ending is confusing somewhat, is still awesome and I don't think it's bad and frankly with the new free "ending" DLC, things feel a lot more clear. Even if you won't like the ending - it's not something thatFantastic game - combat and presentation are simply at the best and this game sets a new standard to 3rd person shooter games, for sure! The story itself, while I agree that the ending is confusing somewhat, is still awesome and I don't think it's bad and frankly with the new free "ending" DLC, things feel a lot more clear. Even if you won't like the ending - it's not something that affects the rest of the game IMO and thus you shouldn't miss this game just because of a small section of it! Expand
  4. Nov 3, 2012
    the game brings excellent emotions.
    may be too complex for most of players.
    developer added extended cut of the endings to help not-so-clever players.
  5. Nov 4, 2012
    Opening cinematics will set the tone, for what will be an amazing adventure. The story was great, the game play was great. My only complaint was that it was too short, but I suppose the old adage "always leaving them asking for more" probably applies in this instance.
  6. Oct 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect has been, and will always be, about the characters and the writing. I've never been wowed by either the gameplay or the overarching Reaper threat plot of the series, but ME and ME2 remain two of my favorites because of the characters. I just wanted to stay in the game universe forever to build relationships with the crew of the Normandy and go to new exciting planets to meet more characters and be involved in their struggles. Each character is well-written, has clear motivations, evolves over time, and is complex and conflicted. Add the fact that Shepard is involved in major decisions affecting them at every term, and I found myself really invested in almost everyone I came across in Mass Effect. Garius, EDI, and Tali's wise-ass comments, Ashley, James and Thanes stories, learning Mordin, Wrex and Liara's life philosophies... That's what I loved about Mass Effect. I wanted to stop the Reapers because I wanted them to live and it would have upset me if I let them down.

ME3, for the most part, carries on this Mass Effect tradition. I found myself really invested in the game and its characters yet again, and seeing them all before the final assault was a really touching moment. But then BioWare stabbed me in the back. A series modeled around relationship and character building and good writing suddenly takes a total U-turn and the last 15 minutes is one of the sloppiest, most poorly written and contrived endings I've ever seen. Shepard saying goodbye to his crew that's a fitting ending. Shepard accepting death as the Reapers destroy Earth with his friends at his side that's a fitting ending. What actually happened was nonsense and felt like I was playing a different game.

That's why the game gets a 6: because the same thing that made me look past all the things I hate about Mass Effect the crap level design, the boring gameplay, the usually boring side quests, etc ends up being the games demise. A must play if you loved ME and ME2, but stop playing after you say goodbye to the crew of the Normandy for the last time and you'll enjoy the experience much more.
  7. Nov 13, 2012
    One of my favorite game trilogies of this generation, Mass Effect 3 is a fun action RPG game although it's definitely more action then RPG now, The story is fantastic, the characters are some of the best in any game series and the combat, classes and gameplay in general are very enjoyable, the ending was definitely a low point for the series, but since playing the free extended cut DLC forOne of my favorite game trilogies of this generation, Mass Effect 3 is a fun action RPG game although it's definitely more action then RPG now, The story is fantastic, the characters are some of the best in any game series and the combat, classes and gameplay in general are very enjoyable, the ending was definitely a low point for the series, but since playing the free extended cut DLC for it I am happy with where mass effect 3 has ended for Shepard's trilogy and I look forward to seeing where they go with Mass effect 4. As I said, Mass effect is probably my favorite series from this generation and I would recommend it to anyone who likes a good story with deep and interesting characters whilst also having good length and good gameplay. Expand
  8. Apr 3, 2016
    A marvelous game in it's own right, it has been it's own worst enemy in becoming so popular and the focus on the monetization of the game. A decent end to the series, but it just falls short of being perfect.
  9. Jul 7, 2015
    I am a HUGE Mass Effect fan, and I got so say that the third is the best. It's combat system has been improved a lot, it's amount of dialogues are numerous, it's humor is great, and it's story awesome!

However, a few mentions about it's flaws: It's a shame that it doesn't give you the chance to involve any of your previous party members from the second game. Even if some of them has

However, a few mentions about it's flaws:

It's a shame that it doesn't give you the chance to involve any of your previous party members from the second game. Even if some of them has good reasons, it should still be an option to include them, and take the consequences of them joining you.
    The ending which a lot of people are mad about are worth mentioning as well. I personally love the explanation of why the reapers do the cycles, it makes sense, especially from a machines cold couculations. However, what disappointed me the most, what the unresolved matter with the Illusive man. Everything in 2 and 3 points to that he has a plan with the reapers that could be useful and effective, but morally screwed, but he is just indoctrinated for no reason, which is a huge letdown for me.

Those are the two main reasons that I don't give this game a 10/10, because it just remove some of the best things in Mass Effect that could have made it completely epic.
  10. Oct 30, 2013
    Amazing Game, a great ending to a great trilogy, extremely polished, and full of detail, incredible combat and excellent story telling, its a must have for this generation of gaming.
  11. Nov 18, 2012
    Rather than trying to expand on the formula which set Mass Effect as one of those rpg-shooter hybrids which grow more frequent as the years pass by, Bioware decided to dismiss it completely in favour of Michael Bay-grade explosions and the like. Mass Effect 3 starts off almost a year after ME2 where Shepard has done nothing of note except somehow end up on Earth and is being trailed by th
  12. Nov 21, 2012
    I hate ME3. I even destroyed the dvd pack. What a waste. I can mention many reasons. Main was incomplete story and game. I mean come on money looters! You develop a game and then keep many of its parts away to release them as dlc's (downloadable contents) later on just to make extra money. Why should someone buy an incomplete game and then spend extra money to buy ****ing dlc's just toI hate ME3. I even destroyed the dvd pack. What a waste. I can mention many reasons. Main was incomplete story and game. I mean come on money looters! You develop a game and then keep many of its parts away to release them as dlc's (downloadable contents) later on just to make extra money. Why should someone buy an incomplete game and then spend extra money to buy ****ing dlc's just to understand and enjoy the game. You know what I never even looked what dlc's you looters have released for this sh*t, buying is far away. This game could have been a master piece if released as whole not in game and dlc's manner but your money hungry and looting desire destroyed and disgusted it. All the dlc's released throughout the series were part of the whole story and yet were released in main games but as dlc's. What if some one has bought ME1, ME2, ME3 only. Why look and buy dlc's just to understand the whole story and enjoy it. But if you think this strategy of looting our hard earned money will work then you are wrong. We have other means to show you that this strategy is a big mistake and is going to loose customers and fans. BE AWARE.
    Other than that lets talk about main game i.e. ME3. You gather as many resources and armies in the game as possible for the final battle and what you get in the end 'a disgusting deception'. What a waste. I can go on but I have wasted too much on this total sh*t already.
  13. Dec 4, 2012
    They should have just stuck to the original writing team from ME1. This bunch of newbie writers perverted the lore of mass effect and had no idea how to plan the trilogy in advance. As a result, they had to do damage control with extended DLC after realizing their folly. But the milk is already sour, you can't make it fresh again.
  14. Nov 22, 2012
    a fantastic game. with the new extended cut mass effect 3 ends the trilogy in a great way. its epic, exciting, dramatic, its equally as good as mass effect 2. the only negatives are the journal system sucks now...but the gamepaly, characters, graphics, everything is top notch. the best game of 2012 and one of the best games ever overall
  15. Nov 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There are four endings now (post extended cut)

Red ((destroy)): Destroy all synthetics indiscriminately, including the reapers. This means bye-bye Edi, Geth, plus a lot of tech that organic races are dependent on. (This is pegged "the bad ending" by many.)

Blue ((control)): Control the reapers, keeping them and their husks alive and turning shepard into the new Harbinger. Bad idea on so many levels.

Green ((synthesis)): "Become one with the reapers". Like control, this keeps all the horribly deformed husks alive (cannibals, marauders, banshees, scions which are 3 headed abominations fused from 3 different ppl from 3 different races, harvesters, destroyers, etc.)Turning every sentient race, organic and AI alike, into a organic/synthetic hybrid, which is the final stage of evolution, according to the translucent star child. This is pegged "the best ending" by bioware and fans that support synthesis.

4th ending ((refuse)): You shoot the star child, give a little speech and watch as everyone dies. Then you see one of the beacons Liara made for the next civilizations to find and stop the reapers their way.

Just awful.

I've played Mass Effect 1 & 2 multiple times over the years. but ME3, I've only played twice and have since uninstalled. My friend also got the game on release, and now regrets it. She wanted me to play co-op with her, but why? The multiplayer looks like mindless and repetitive and like it would get boring after two rounds.

Major letdown. I'm scared for dragon age 3, there's a 90% chance that will be a letdown aswell.
  16. Apr 10, 2013
    Oh my dear gaming-god(Tex Murphy)!!
    It's like Elvis would announce his greatest show ever, and then came out on stage naked, fat, drunk, balled, and then urinated on the first row people, slung feces on the rest, gave his finger to all, and then shot all the old people.
    Where did all the talent go, that I trusted with my hopes and dreams for Shepard and his friends. I mean how is this
    Oh my dear gaming-god(Tex Murphy)!!
    I mean how is this possible;
    To write arguably the best story in gaming history(ME1), come up with two of the best bad guys in space(Saren and Sovereign)
    Then go on to make ME2 witch fixed all the problems from the previous game, only lacking bad guys with character.
    And then this.....
    Did they have a stroke, are they smoking crack, did someone replace their head with G.W.B's?

Now it's all ruined. I cant even replay the first two. Shepard is dead to me now. Why you say??
    BECAUSE YOU'VE KILLED HIM STUPID
  17. Dec 23, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 shows us an intense ending of an epic story with good graphics and characters. You have to know part one and two. For all others: It`s a mix of a science fiction action role playing game.
  18. Dec 5, 2012
    Absolutely loved this game. Well-written and presented sci-fi story in the form of a video game. Hint: you should play the prequels with all available DLC:s to get most out of ME3 - all on insane difficulty, of course. I really do not get people who complain about the possible endings. I found them satisfying. The only flaw I found in this game was that I could not holster Shepards weapon.Absolutely loved this game. Well-written and presented sci-fi story in the form of a video game. Hint: you should play the prequels with all available DLC:s to get most out of ME3 - all on insane difficulty, of course. I really do not get people who complain about the possible endings. I found them satisfying. The only flaw I found in this game was that I could not holster Shepards weapon. Compare that to the mountains of bugs, lack of challenge and interesting content & overall childisness in titles like Skyrim and Fallout 3 & NV, Mass Effect 3 is brilliant game for adults. Hard choises, bad hair days and end of the worlds in galactic scale - just wow! Expand
  19. Jun 19, 2013
    I cannot, in good conscience, give this game any lower than a 6 because up until the ending the game was superb and truly enjoyable for me. It's epic to gather the fleets of the universe together and to warp into battle like they do in the ending portion of the game. It builds upon the (in my opinion) great and enjoyable gameplay of ME2, and as usual the graphics are beautiful. SplendidI cannot, in good conscience, give this game any lower than a 6 because up until the ending the game was superb and truly enjoyable for me. It's epic to gather the fleets of the universe together and to warp into battle like they do in the ending portion of the game. It builds upon the (in my opinion) great and enjoyable gameplay of ME2, and as usual the graphics are beautiful. Splendid voice acting bring each character to life and the relationships and character development are all there.

One of the best things about the ME series and Bioware is their whole, "what you did in the previous game impacts this game" and while there's still a cop out in some aspects that some of the things you did only are acknowledged or shown in a minor way, I think that's still impressive enough that it makes you feel you have truly impacted this universe beyond simply completing the missions. You've made choices, and those choices have had consequences.

One thing I wish they had added was the ability to control real control of the Normandy and have some space maneuvering (as in simulation, not the Galaxy Map) and more importantly, space battles!

Amazing game, but horrendous ending that was only partial fixed by the DLC. Would've given this game a 9 were it not for the ending. After dozens of hours of gameplay through various replays of each game to test different combinations of choices... how could you end the game like that? It was just... devastatingly disappointing.
  20. Dec 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All the choices you made in previous games, all the heartbreaking decisions, the entire Mass Effect lore got flushed down the drain with this disaster piece. Nothing you did in the trilogy mattered because in the end, it was all a story. Nothing really happened. Expand
  21. Jul 3, 2013
    Best Game series out there, great story and better and better gameplay for each game that tops in Mass Effect 3

Abilities on different carracters that can be used in combination with each others, gameplay that makes you want to play just to play. A awesome story with characters you build a great personal relationship to, great laughs and great sorrows, that makes you go 35-45hours straight skipping work/school and forgetting to eat and sleep.

Sadly people cant seem to review the game as a whole and focus on the ending that could be better, but even with the endings there is very little to put a finger on as a whole.
    Still it not even that bad a ending, just not how people want it to end making them butthurt, that they dont get a sugar sweet ending.

I read trough afew critics in the "red" and alot of the stuff i just cant reconize from my playtroughs.
    Some state the exact opposite(Lies? but why?) of how the game works, some state the character acting and story is bad, even though i think both tops even the top end movies we have on the market today.

This game made me play the ME1 and ME2 several times over to get the different coices and i have 5-7 playtroughs of the ME3 game itself, and besides that the surprisingly good Multiplayer i used a good 1000hours om itself.

This game has been worth every penny!
  22. Feb 7, 2013
    This game rightfully earns a 7. And while I could just blabber on about the ending, the subpar game mechanics, and most of the horrendous design choices in general, I'll just sum this review up simply. Don't buy this game for a satisfying single player game, but it for co-op with your friends. Co-op is the only reason I own this game, with a whopping 500 hours played on it, it's fantastic.This game rightfully earns a 7. And while I could just blabber on about the ending, the subpar game mechanics, and most of the horrendous design choices in general, I'll just sum this review up simply. Don't buy this game for a satisfying single player game, but it for co-op with your friends. Co-op is the only reason I own this game, with a whopping 500 hours played on it, it's fantastic. And with free DLC content being added, you can't go wrong. The MP is fantastic in my opinion, and while it doesn't feel "like mass effect" because it's a 3rd person horde mode and not a story driven emotional title, it's fantastically done. Do yourself a favor and skip the campaign. Expand
  23. Dec 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Mass Effect 3 is an incredibly controversial game, it has seen a lot of hate for all the flaws it has, these include a lack of dialogue options compared to the original two, more action oriented gameplay and a unsatisfying ending, for the most part these criticisms are valid, but even though there are many problems with the game I have no trouble in saying that Mass Effect 3 is a masterpiece.

The Characters: Mass Effect 3 for all the things it did wrong, it did many things oozing with greatness, first of the greatest thing about the game is the characters, Garrus, Liara, Mordin, Legion, Thane, Anderson and my personal favourite character in the third installment ; EDI. They all have masterful moments, these moments range from being incredibly sad and emotional to moments which put a massive smile on your face.

The Story: Mass Effect 3 has a damn good story (for the most part), and even though the story is a far worse RPG than 2, and especially Mass Effect 1, this doesn't mean that the story is any worse, people complain about the game compared to the previous two, but fail to realize that Mass Effect 3 is its own game, and is just as good, but in many different areas. The story is about taking down the reapers and gathering alliances to stop them, this will take you on an incredible journey full of beautifully executed moments, some of these moments I'd dare say are some of the greatest moments in media history.

Gameplay and Presentation: Mass Effect 3 has once again greatly improved the gameplay for the series, the shooting mechanics have been tweaked and are better than ever, which still not masterful by any means, with a few bugs here and there, they controls are still pretty damn good. The Presentation hasn't improved so much from Mass Effect 2, but then again Mass Effect 2's feel and artistic style was near perfect, so there's no complaints here. Unlike Mass Effect 1, where you would land on a planet, which where always the same planet, just re textured , with the same facilities and artistic design, Mass Effect 3's location all feel diverse and wonderfully crafted.

The Ending: The original ending was a highly disappointing conclusion, the extended cut made things a lot better, and despite the plot holes gave me a sense of closure

Conclusion: Mass Effect 3 is a wonderful game, with great characters, great stories and great artistic design, and despite its flaws, and Casey Hudson's artistic integrity, Mass Effect 3 is a tremendous game and deserves to be played.
  24. Dec 24, 2012
    Not even taking the endings into consideration, I don't understand how people can actually think this is a good game, let alone a success from BioWare. Mass Effect 1 had its faults, but brought us an expansive, detailed universe and a solid story line. Mass Effect 2 was a disappointment (Cerberus. Stripping RPG elements.) but still had very engaging characters and enjoyable recruitment andNot even taking the endings into consideration, I don't understand how people can actually think this is a good game, let alone a success from BioWare. Mass Effect 1 had its faults, but brought us an expansive, detailed universe and a solid story line. Mass Effect 2 was a disappointment (Cerberus. Stripping RPG elements.) but still had very engaging characters and enjoyable recruitment and loyalty missions. Mass Effect 3 is by far the weakest of the trilogy. It's completely abandoned the things that made the first two games memorable. The characters have largely become caricatures. The most prominent example of this that I can think of is Wrex. Many of his lines are painfully OOC, as if BioWare decided to superimpose Varric from DA2 onto him. The cheesy, cringe-inducing lines are piled on thick. I played through a second time as a full-paragon, and ended up skipping as many of the horrible lines as I could because it was so embarrassing. When the game forced me to listen, there were times when I found myself saying "SHUT UP." The completely blatant fanservice strips the game of sincerity. The entire game I felt like BioWare was just humoring me and those bizarre threads on their forum with pictures of FemShep pregnant with Garrus' baby or whatever. The content is just offensive to those who have been playing since the first game. But the worst thing is that you're forced to play as action-movie protagonist Shepard. The dialogue options are extremely few and far between, the neutral options are gone, the interrupts have been slashed. You watch a character that you may have been creating over the span of three games talk for minutes on end without any input from you. Because of this, the things Shepard says are really odd. Sometimes a full-renegade Shepard spouts bizarre idealistic bleeding-heart lines. And in turn, a full-paragon Shepard can act very insensitive. WITHOUT ANY INPUT. You can't shape anything about Shepard except some of the choices he/she makes, when before you could both shape those choices and WHY Shepard would make them. Obviously there were so many other issues. The PC controls, the animation (FemShep's running animations on the Normandy reminded me of Steamboat Willie or Popeye or something), Origin, Day 1 DLC, the massive plotholes, Shepard is even stupider than usual (WTF is Avina, durr),Cerberus, the missed opportunities. The endings are still stupid with the extended cut, and the giant middle finger of a refusal ending shows you exactly what BioWare thinks of the fans who have brought them here, the ones intelligent and dedicated enough to point out that a paragon Shepard has always found a way to get missions done without sacrificing their beliefs and would never accept the Starchild's logic.

When Casey Hudson talked about dismissing a final boss fight because it was too "video-gamey" for the endings we received, it all made sense. Hudson just wanted to make an action movie. That's it. But instead of an action movie, or a good game, we got the steaming pile that is Mass Effect 3. This series had so much potential. But its potential AND everything it had already gotten right was squandered in this title in the name of trying to please both action game lovers and bizarre fans with banners begging for fatuous dialogue options, romances, etc, and for the egos of Hudson and Walters.
  25. Jan 8, 2014
    In this third and final release, slowly the narrative coherence of Mass Effect eroded, until near the end, at a fast pace it completly crumbled.
    In ME2 you could say that the villains were unjustified and meaningless in a narrative sense, you could say that choices, events and positions were forced into your character and many were literally asspulls, but at least ME2 provided plenty of well written and thoughtful content in the form of loyality missions for example, to couterbalance this. In ME3 there is no such thing and what starts as a contrived, average to bad story, end as a complete mess with giant holes where obviously the writers or devs didn't know what they were doing.
    Or if you played Deus Ex 1, a classical and mind-blowing game unlike ME3, you'll simply know that ME3 ending is a rip off, out of thone, feel and athmosphere from the rest of ME series and even from the rest of the third game itself, not addressing any of the questions and propositions that the ending should address.
    Mission after mission asspulls are thrown at the player and they are supposed to contain core elements of the narrative without any connection with the previous games. "Oh, you know, we found the ancient plans to this super-weapon, we don't even know what it does, but it's our only hope! Why didn't I mention these ancient plans before? I don't know", "Oh, the genophage was stabilished as a necessary evil, was even fully approached in a previous game? Too bad, let's use it again in the narrative in a total different way!", "You reproggammed heretic Geths? Nah, it didn't change anything!", "Forget Ilos and the Conduit, forget Haelstrom!" and so on, with even poorer resolutions than before, sometimes even with implausible forever happy conclusions, where magically everything worked out for everyone and butterflies and rainbows are in the sky.
    As for other aspects, some can be praised: they finally fleshed out powers, cooldowns and shields/armors/barriers, even adding power combos, making the gameplay as a pure adept or as an enginner very interesting. Too bad the game fail to explain this and you are supposed to search in the internet for a guide to which power detonates the other and what defense is vulnerable to what power (for example, energy drain is useless against armor, carnage is useless against shield, etc). The combat system is finally fun and interesting if you have patience to micromanage your squadmates, because they are useless otherwise and never use the proper powers if left by themselves.
    Other aspects must be criticized: the missions journal is confusing and doesn't match the missions name in the galaxy map, the weapons customization is dumbed down and mostly useless, upgrading equipment is a chore, side missions are utterly boring and repetitive, re-using multiplayer maps and the same mission model (active console A, hold postion B, etc), there are plenty and I mean plent of bugs even so long after release, sometimes advancing the main plot makes side missions expire and several, several characters are out of character or at least with very poorly written lines. The game feels short and I wonder if this is because they decided to focus on multiplayer instead.
    Unlike ME2, I can't recommend any DLC except for Javik. Citadel is cringe worthy and apparently made for 15 years old, Leviathan is stupid, inspired by movies such as Abyss and presents more implausible asspulls than answers, Omega is boring and will make you skip full dialogues out of boredom.
    ME3 is so bad that makes ME1 a master piece in comparison, it'll age bad and be a waste of your time. I recommend reading the relevant plot in wikis and skip this game.
    Too bad they are making a 4th installation, I predict a even worse product.
  26. Jan 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed Mass Effect 3 when it wasn't forcing me to watch an unskippable cut-scene that went on for 50,000 years! I wouldn't mind a few unskippable cut-scenes that are short and don't contain dialogue that is so melodramatic and cheesy that I actually had to turn the game off once or twice. I felt the game tried too hard to be like a film and tried really hard to make me care about the characters, something which they had achieved moderately in the previous 2, but fell so far short this time because of atrocious writing. I found it really difficult to become attached to Shephard at all because he had as much personality as a piece of plain paper with the word "nice" on it. Or he was Satan incarnate whom Cerberus for some reason decided to install a naughty or nice detection chip in his face. (A clear theft from Fable. Although it's acceptable in Fable because it's more cartoony and like a fairytale where witches have hooked noses and good guys are disturbingly aryan.) They also copped out of it as well by putting a heal all scars option in med-bay. Why bother having it in if you can just erase it in a heart beat? Either do it or don't. It just seemed a bit flaky for a game based so tightly on the consequences of actions to literally have an opt out button. I did really like the way the previous choices affected the game. I also liked how they tried to tie up the loose ends with the characters from ME2. Although, it seemed to me that by the end of the game someone points out "Jesus we forgot Jack! Quickly someone put her in!" So their solution was to just have her leap at Shephard and die within 10 seconds and a quick remark from Shephard and team mate to let you know that it really was her. The encounter was actually so brief and dissatisfying that I genuinely thought that it wasn't her and I was about to find out that the Illusive Man had caught her and found a way to make clones of her to fight for him. Then I would have to fight through waves of Jack look-a-likes and find her trapped in a machine being cloned and in need of rescue. Then once rescued she joins the cause or has to sacrifice herself to destroy the station like Mordin and Miranda or something. But no she just leaped at you and died. I thought that the fighting gameplay was very good and got my adrenaline going. Although the going into cover and sprinting was often irritating. I would press A to go into cover nothing would happen so I press it again and he pops into cover then out again so he got shot in the face a lot. I did think that the powers were too strong. You can decimate huge hordes of enemies quite easily without going into cover. All you need to do is use adrenaline rush with 1 power enabled and have EDI and Liara with you to use incinerate and singularity. The galaxy map was well done and I liked the idea of the reapers detecting your scanner if you entered reaper occupied space. The first time I heard the loud buzz indicating their presence I was genuinely intimidated and rushed like hell to get out of there. But after finding out that I could outrun them for ages and that the only consequence of being caught was an "oh no you got caught! Now start again from 20 seconds earlier." There was no real threat and I wound up feeling that their presence was more of a minor inconvenience than a real hazard to be avoided. Now to get to my biggest complaint about the game. It all starts with one little boy who from the second I saw him playing outside I started a stop watch in my head for when he was going to die. It was shamelessly and clumsily trying to make me feel for this boy. I felt nothing but contempt for that flimsy attempt to make me feel emotionally invested. Then they expanded this dung heap of an idea into an agonisingly bad dream sequence which you can't skip and, as far as I can tell, has no relevance to anything whatsoever. It doesn't advance the plot. It didn't make me care about the boy. It didn't make me think Shephard was deep or more relatable. It was irritating, it slowed the game down and I couldn't help shouting at the screen "Hurry up you pretentious idiots!" Overall, I think I would give the game a 2/10 for dialogue. 7 or 8/10 for the story (good idea let down by enamel peelingly bad dialogue) 8 or 9/10 for combat. Martin Sheen as ever gave a 10/10 performance and expertly depicted a man trying to make the right decisions but losing sight of what is right because of his penchant for solitude. Usually I wouldn't score a game for its dialogue because people don't really play games for it. However, since I felt ME3 was trying so hard to be a film it seemed right to include the dialogue in an overall score. This score would be much higher if the game wasn't trying to be a game/film with appalling dialogue. Expand
  27. Jan 4, 2013
    So the holydays are soon to be over. Every xmas I end up playing old games or trying out titles I skipped when released, sometimes I return to old mmo's or fire up battlefield or COD. This year I ended up buying (among others) the Mass Effect series on the cheap. I played ME1 a couple of years ago, but being a hardcore mmo player the streamlined gameplay somehow left me disappointed backSo the holydays are soon to be over. Every xmas I end up playing old games or trying out titles I skipped when released, sometimes I return to old mmo's or fire up battlefield or COD. This year I ended up buying (among others) the Mass Effect series on the cheap. I played ME1 a couple of years ago, but being a hardcore mmo player the streamlined gameplay somehow left me disappointed back then. Treat it like a interactive book or a movie instead To be honest the problem was, I misunderstood the whole concept and compared it to computer games and mmo gameplay I general. When I returned this winter I choose to treat it as a interactive book or a movie instead - and boy was I in for a ride. I played thru ME1 and ME2 and finally in ME3.

For the first time I have actually cried during certain moments in a computer game.
    As an interactive movie or book the Mass Effect trilogy is one of the greatest games/stories of our generation. It's a trilogy and should be experienced like one straight up. Gameplay is pretty streamlined, but Bioware leaves you with a ton of hard moral choices within the story itself making the game taking some really different turns depending on how you decide play it. There at least three different endings - each of them depending on the decisions you made during the game(s). The replayability is not all that great, the core of the story will always be the same, but the relations with your comrades, alliances with other races could change dramatically. It's the little things that stand out and stay with you. The deep comradeship with Garrus or the fact that there at least two crewmembers being openly gay. The different romantic relations you can pursue. Or the moments when you have to sacrifice one of you teammates. In my case one who had been with me from ME1

If you're looking for cheap games on Steam or Origin the Mass Effect series is a great choice if you likes me missed out earlier. It's breath taking.

The Mass Effect trilogy is one of the greatest games of our generation, and you would be a fool to miss it.
  28. Jan 5, 2013
    These days I play just RPG's (And the occasional session on WoW), I have all but lost faith in the FPS and RTS Genres. Nothing quite sucks me in like an RPG with a; Riveting Plot, Interesting Characters, Good Gameplay and a powerful sense of Immersion. Mass Effect 1, although lacking in the Gameplay department, was 10/10 on every single other aspect of the game. Mass Effect 2 corrected theThese days I play just RPG's (And the occasional session on WoW), I have all but lost faith in the FPS and RTS Genres. Nothing quite sucks me in like an RPG with a; Riveting Plot, Interesting Characters, Good Gameplay and a powerful sense of Immersion. Mass Effect 1, although lacking in the Gameplay department, was 10/10 on every single other aspect of the game. Mass Effect 2 corrected the Gameplay errors that were extremely evident in ME1, however the plot took a MINOR hit, but still was extremely engaging. Then Mass Effect 3 rolled around, and I don't really know what went wrong. People blaming EA, People blaming BioWare... Who knows, all that's evident is this game was nowhere near the sequel we were waiting for.

The gameplay didn't really improve from Mass Effect 2, but it was good in ME2 so it remains good in ME3. The Characters are still as interesting as ever (and as cool), but of course instead of the massive party selection we got in ME2 it was reduced down to ME1 numbers.
    And the plot, was just ... A mess (And that's giving it credit).

If there's one thing I can say positive about BioWare, is that at least they still know how to write engaging and interesting characters. I cried several times throughout the game, simply because you get so attached (Or from the previous games) to these 3D people and it's hard to watch some of the tragedies happen, even if you can tell there was going to be casualties in the game. If it wasn't for BioWare still doing such an amazing job in the character department, this game would be lucky to receive a 2 or 3. The plot is just an abysmal mess. You can't really explain the mess without massive spoilers so I'll simply say this. Alot of people (Inlcuding myself) claim that it's 'The Ending' which was at fault, but frankly we just used the Ending as a scapegoat, we didn't/don't want to admit that the problem is in reality the entire game. Singular planet plots like Rannoch and Tuchanka is great, because you're concluding something that was setup in the other games, but the whole 'War Assets' and the nature of the 'Overarching Plot' is just a disgrace. And then after being taken on this wild ride where you go from, 'What the heck this doesn't make sense' ... To 'Omg this is fking awesome we are doing something massive and important' ... Back and forth multiple times, just to end on the 'This doesn't make sense' side of the fence was just the Ash sprinkles on top of the Crap Cake, and it hurt the fans deeply. It's clear alot of the story was designed with players who had been with the series for a long time in mind. Moments that would leave a normal person lifting an eyebrow, was leaving us fans who had been playing since ME1 bawling our eyes out. But then they made this Overarching plot to serve, I don't even know who, because it didn't make sense to the fans and it didn't make sense to anyone else. It was just some kind of strange mess.

So if you're going to play this regardless of reviews, enjoy the characters, enjoy the locations and enjoy the decent gameplay. Enjoy the Single planet Arcs like Tuchanka and Rannoch, but don't expect to understand the overarching plot, and certainly don't expect to be satisfied and the end, because most likely you won't be.
  29. Jan 5, 2013
    This game is not good as an RPG, it's not good as a cover-based shooter, and it's certainly not good as a hybrid of any sort. This game is atrocious, it truly is. And this comes from someone who liked ME2, despite its flaws. But anyways, what's wrong with the game? Well, I think the ridicilous ending has been covered well enough by a lot of other reviewers, so I won't go into detail on howThis game is not good as an RPG, it's not good as a cover-based shooter, and it's certainly not good as a hybrid of any sort. This game is atrocious, it truly is. And this comes from someone who liked ME2, despite its flaws. But anyways, what's wrong with the game? Well, I think the ridicilous ending has been covered well enough by a lot of other reviewers, so I won't go into detail on how stupid it was. Let's talk about the dumbed down dialogue instead. BioWare and EA apparently thought three choices as a standard was a bit overwhelming when playing ME1&2, so they had to remove the middleground. What is left is the **** and "Good Guy" options, and the occasional Renegade and Paragon option. The Renegade & Paragon system is also pretty stupid. 'If you aren't nice to people, you can't make rational choices'... The **** kind of sense does that make?
    And with the removal of dialogue options, comes the removal of dialogue too. Which I can see makes all kinds of sense. Why would you shift the focus from shooting endless hordes of Cerberus troops, over on the thoughts and psyche of the interesting and beloved crew. We all know thats why we loved the original games, right? It was the neverending cover-based shooting that attracted us all... ... right?
    With all irony aside, I find it pretty annoying that the crew is even less talkable in the third installment, than in the second. In like 19 hours, I had the total of THREE, unique dialogues with Liara (whom I had romanced in the previous games), whereas only TWO of them were private and on the Normandy. That kinda sucks, especially since she's one of my favourite characters in the entire series.
    Also: what's up with the character design? How come everyone dresses in the sexiest "armor" in the entire universe? Don't get me wrong, I am in fact a fan of the female body. But, why did Ashley throw away her giant power armor from ME1, in favor of the sleek, sexy outfit in the third? It looks stupid, and it doesn't make sense. But if she hadn't changed the armor, it would be significantly less time to show of her enlarged bazoongas. I'm not **** you when I say that the size of her **** have been increased from the first game. The entire game is so sexualized it just becomes silly. And to top it all off, they had to make EDI sexy too. I'm actually surprised she isn't a romance option. It would go along with the rest of this **** of a game perfectly. And while we're at EDI: what's her deal? Why does she act so out of character? She's not an AI, but she acts like one. When I think about, practically everyone acts out of character. The only one who doesn't do so, is Harbinger. He does the best job of sticking to his... 'personality' and agenda in the entirety of the game. Even Shepard acts out of character. What's the deal with the homosex-romance? I don't dislike homosexuals in any way, but the sudden change of sexuality is just weird.
    So, is there ANYTHING good about the game, you may ask. Well, kind of. The skill system is decent, better than ME2's (worse than ME1's). The weapons and attachments are pretty good, I prefer it over both the first and second installments' take on it. The armor and armor customization is vastly superior to both 1&2, so there are some good things about the game. One could say it looks pretty too - and I somewhat agree, but you feel like you don't always belong there. The game shows off what it can do and how beautiful it is, and sometimes, one ends up just as a watcher.
    My final complaint is in regards to Cerberus. Why did the story shift the focus away from the Reapers, and onto Cerberus? I don't feel like I'm saving the galaxy most of the time when I'm playing. Battling wave after wave of Cerberus-troops isn't fun, it doesn't make you feel like you're saving the galaxy, and it only makes you wonder why you are bothering with it. Feels kinda like busywork.

All in all, this is one of the most disappointing games I have ever encountered. Mass Effect was one of my favorite games, and together with sequel one of my favourite game series. But now I can't even thoroughly enjoy the first installments, because I know it will all be in "vain", as this game is so butt****ingly stupid. This game is abominable. Steer clear away from this thing. The only reason this game isn't getting 1/10, is because it has Liara, Tali and Garrus in it (even though none of them want to speak with me).
  30. Jan 7, 2013
    The first Mass Effect had the best story. Mass Effect 2 had the best characters. Mass Effect 3 has nothing compared to it's predecessors, besides the combat and leveling system that is somewhat better than Mass Effect 2 and an updated graphics engine, but it is still an inferior game when you take all things into account. It brought more fluid action and more playstyle customization withThe first Mass Effect had the best story. Mass Effect 2 had the best characters. Mass Effect 3 has nothing compared to it's predecessors, besides the combat and leveling system that is somewhat better than Mass Effect 2 and an updated graphics engine, but it is still an inferior game when you take all things into account. It brought more fluid action and more playstyle customization with leveling, but that's where it ends. Story? Weak and fails to deliver the fear and awe of the Reapers first two games had built up. They are supposed to be superior in every way, godlike, yet they end up being fought like a casual enemy. It makes as much sense as a bunch of musketeers going up against a squad of soldiers with fully automatic weapons. Characters? Old ones get re-introduced and you get some bad new ones. Dialogues? Now with only 2 options. The franchise never had the "grey" moral area, but at least it let you stay neutral at times, even if it was just an illusion when every option would get the same response. This game doesn't even give you that. It's either be the venerable empathic hero or the jerk anti-hero. They probably did it to save money they'd have to pay the voice actors. The 5-year long franchise ends with a deus ex machina A, B, C choice ending, loads of DLC and a plainest hint at an MMO if I've ever seen one. Good going BioWare, go ahead and ruin what's left of Mass Effect like you did with The Old Republic. Expand
  31. Jan 7, 2013
    My favorite color is red. I like orange too. Choices, choices, choices. Why does life have to be so complicated? Why, Lord? Why? Hristos se rodi, D
  32. Jan 8, 2013
    If you just take the ending out of this, this is another beautiful addition to the Mass Effect series, and (in my opinion), the most refined in terms of gameplay and overall design. Please disregard the hundreds of thousands of babies whining about the ending, which, by the way, is only 15 minutes of your 20-something hour experience.
  33. Mar 29, 2013
    Here's a different kind of review: I actually liked the ending!

Here's a different kind of review: I actually liked the ending!

Ok, so I started my Mass Effect journey with a bargain purchase of the first game in 2010, followed by a bargain purchase of the second part of series in late 2011 and now the final part in 2013. I still clearly remember the whole story and the feelings I had while playing it, so I can speak both for ME3 and the trilogy as a whole.

Technically speaking, ME3 had superb audio and nice graphics. Very satisfying and enjoyable audiovisually. Game never crashed, I did not encounter any bugs either. Game felt very solid all around. The Origin requirement is a downer, but a small one. The atmosphere of the game (ie. the despair of the war) was a bit forced at times, but in the end held quite nicely. In ME1 I liked the feeling of vastness, how the plot spanned a lot of places on a huge scale. ME2 had perhaps did not have as epic a feel to it, for most of the game you spent hiring squad members from not-so-epic places and fights. I think ME3 went back to the roots in the epicness of scale.

In ME1 I liked the fighting system and finding and upgrading new weapons. ME2 kind of streamlined the combat, but also removed all those micro-management details such as weapon mods. ME3 took somewhat a middle road in that regard: weapon mods return, but the weapon arsenal is quite limited. The biggest problem in fighting I had was Shepard getting stuck in cover when trying to run, resulting in a couple of unnecessary deaths in some of the harder fights. Other than that, gameplay felt pretty smooth.

On terms of dialogue I think ME2 was the high point of the series. I really liked especially the female Shepards delivery of her lines. ME3 is not that good, but certainly not bad, either.

The galaxy map mini-game this time was avoiding reapers, who were alerted by scanning the space for artifacts etc. I think ME1 had the best mini-game in that you actually landed on the planet and searched for stuff, even though it did get quite repetitive after while. In ME2 the mineral scanning was just dumb, as it did really not offer any challenge and there really was no big difference in the tactic you did it. The reaper mini-game in ME3 is again quite unnecessary, but at least you can apply some tactics to it, and it isn't really that much of an annoyance.

And then there is the ending. I did play the extended cut, but also watched all the original ending videos from YouTube. I didn't really see the necessity of the extended endings, although they were perhaps a bit more satisfying. And the fourth ending type was indeed a smart move, which should have been in the original release also. On a side note, I also have played Eye of the Beholder, which threw you right back into DOS prompt after finishing the game, so I'm used to not having any fancy ending scenes. Anyway, most comments I've read about the ending being bad had two things in them: previous choices in the games had little to no effect, and not everything was explained. I think both are wrong accusitions.

Choices in the previous games mainly affected your companions: who you were working with. At no point do I recall making any huge decisions directly regardin the forthcoming reaper invasion. Killed or saved the rachni queen in Noveria? Who cares, no one probably even knew she was there in the first place. Killed Wrex or was his best friends? Doesn't matter, there are plenty of krogans to be their leader, and plento of people on Normandy to be your wingmen. My point is, all the choices you made only affected the people around Shepard not things on a galactic scale. Therefore, I don't see how can someone expect so see any huge change in the outcome no matter what they did in the previous games. On the other hand, I still think they did a hell of a job with all the different combinations of who are alive and who you are with: dialogue changes according to the setting, and there are a huge number of different settings, which your previous choices _do_ affect.

And the other thing, about leaving stuff open. I think the ending tied all the knots there were to be tied regarding galactic scale. Again, what happens to your mates is a different story, and left open. But that was not the point of the big picture. The point was the reaper invasion, and that was concluded in satisfying enough a way.

The multiplayer requirement for the "better" endings was a stupid move, but I hear it was removed in the extended cut patch. I wouldn't know, as I ended up hacking my save game just to be sure I get the best ending: there were no multiplayer games anymore to boost your rating.

All in all, a highly recommended game, and nowadays very good entertainment value for the cost: I only paid 9,95 in Origin store. I would give the game 8.5/10, which rounds to 8 just because of the multiplayer thing possibly affecting your single player campaign ending.
  34. Oct 5, 2013
    Luckily this is a very small sample size of the people out there who have purchased/played ME3 because the rating is ridiculous. The game is nowhere near as bad as some people have made it out to be and the idea that someone can give it a 0 or a 1 or 2 is quite absurd (giving it a 10 might be just as absurd). I have a feeling that the people who so liberally hand out these low ratings doLuckily this is a very small sample size of the people out there who have purchased/played ME3 because the rating is ridiculous. The game is nowhere near as bad as some people have made it out to be and the idea that someone can give it a 0 or a 1 or 2 is quite absurd (giving it a 10 might be just as absurd). I have a feeling that the people who so liberally hand out these low ratings do so for most every game they play. Now I played this AFTER the release of the extended cut, so in that light I'll say the following: The ending(s) made sense. A lot of the criticisms directed at the game because of the ending are borne from erroneous assumptions the various results of which were more dependent on your final effective military score than the actual choice you made, although obviously each choice resulted in some different outcomes for squad mates, people and the universe short term.

Now for what I didn't like. 1) The game is still buggy, even over a year after its release. Origin let's you download a game that isn't even patched, so if you buy the game make sure you find the last patch for it this way you will avoid some of the bugs. I should note that EA/Origin "help" even missed this fact when called upon to resolve certain issues. 2) You almost have to play multiplayer in order to get the "so-called" best ending. I say multiplayer should never have an effect on single player. 3) Shepard still runs on 2 legs like an Ape and is about as graceful as an elephant, that violates my aesthetic appreciation of the game. More importantly though, "movement" around the playing field is clunky at best. 4) Side quests are truly uninspiring and the whole "scan the planet" to find an artifact is pretty lame. 5) Dialogue in general isn't quite as good as the ME1 or ME2, but not that bad. AND 6) Too many scripted cinematic events and Shepard is sometimes limited in response (and possibly out of character depending on YOUR Shepard.

There are of course other issues (some involving Origin policies, etc.), but the total sum of all these issues (including those listed above) don't detract TOO heavily from the story/experience. It's still a fun ride and I give it a solid 8. Would have liked to give it a 9, but won't in deference to ME1 and ME2 but I suspect that's almost always the case with sequels to real good games, it's tough to surpass them as the novelty of their created universe wears off and expectations regarding how things should be and how things should be "ended" grow with each passing act/installment.
  35. Jan 14, 2013
    Perhaps one of the most unfortunate games in existence, both because it could never stand up to the expectations of fans and because it was played off by its creators and dozens of invested parties within gaming journalism as the second coming of Christ. It is a mediocre sequel and a disappointing finale to a well-loved series. Most unfortunate of all, however, is the way in which it andPerhaps one of the most unfortunate games in existence, both because it could never stand up to the expectations of fans and because it was played off by its creators and dozens of invested parties within gaming journalism as the second coming of Christ. It is a mediocre sequel and a disappointing finale to a well-loved series. Most unfortunate of all, however, is the way in which it and several other big-name titles of the last few years have come to represent the baldfaced corruption and lack of integrity within the video game industry. Games should judged as good based on their own merit, not on how many reviewers the publisher can manage to bribe. I give this game a four, for "bad." I would have given it an "average" of 6, but I subtracted one point for the paid-for reviews and one point for the way Bioware instructed journalists to attack their more critical fans. I regret having to look beyond the game itself and into the murk that surrounds it, but as the games industry continue to make video games less about games and more about the surrounding hype and media buzz, I have no choice but to add those factors to my score. Rent and return. Expand
  36. Jan 15, 2013
    This was almost a great game, it's as good as ME2 with some enhancements. It has many epic missions and moments, yet.. in the end it doesn't even matter. That's why this is not a 10. It's an 8 but including the Extended Cut which really enhanced the game's last moments, though it could have been better.
    I have to admit it has a great optimization as I could fluidly play the game on an old, lowend pc
  37. Jan 19, 2013
    Spoilers on the ending:

Look, moral choices are good, but having a 'Good' and 'Bad' scale to regulate them, is horrible. Thus, the paragon/renegade polarization is a terrible mechanic. HOWEVER, the ending to this series is its redeemer. Having absolutely everything burn is a way to hold up the small moral choices of the series as ultimately pointless. The binary morality of the
    Spoilers on the ending:

Thus, the paragon/renegade polarization is a terrible mechanic. HOWEVER, the ending to this series is its redeemer. Having absolutely everything burn is a way to hold up the small moral choices of the series as ultimately pointless. The binary morality of the series is therefore undermined.

I imagine the one brain cell of EA got up on the wrong side of the bed and thought to reinvent Mass Effect at the end, and I for one commend it for its efforts.
  38. Aug 1, 2014
    The free DLC fixed the worst issues with this game, but the story remains the weakest of the series. The combat has been improved and the DLCs are excellent, especially the citadel and leviathan ones.
  39. Apr 29, 2013
    Apart from the ending, let us not forget that it is still a great experience, I may have many gripes but I still had a fun and enjoyable time with this game. It does hit the high tension mark at times but ultimately it is a step back or two from the previous game. With smaller team roster and less interesting back stories to them (except Legion's which was pretty BA). The quest system isApart from the ending, let us not forget that it is still a great experience, I may have many gripes but I still had a fun and enjoyable time with this game. It does hit the high tension mark at times but ultimately it is a step back or two from the previous game. With smaller team roster and less interesting back stories to them (except Legion's which was pretty BA). The quest system is just bad and was really overlooked by developers, though I do prefer the scanning in this game compared to searching for ores in the previous game. Overall the experience of this franchise is a 10/10, however the end leaves you wanting and very disappointing. Expand
  40. Jan 24, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 is an epic and brilliant finale to a great trilogy of games. Let me just note, I am reviewing this game with the Extended Cut ending. The Mass Effect trilogy is the best series of games of all time, mainly because its choices are you choices and we do matters. Some may have found this to be disappointing, but not me.
  41. Feb 9, 2013
    Day 1 DLC: Disgraceful. taking content out of the game and selling it,
    Giant Plot Holes: Every 50,000 years the reapers wipe out everyone to stop synthetics from killing everyone.
    Game play: Is so boring it's just run and gun.
    1 Point: Customisation was good and the N7 armour looked cool.
    1 Point: Multiplayer had some simple but fun aspects.
  42. Feb 5, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 will not force you to make tough decisions on a galactic scale. The RPG element from the first one has been taken away, and replaced with longer action packed combat. Having 3 games to tell a story, but leaving the player with an ending less desirable, greatly disappoints. If with those gripes, I give it a 7 because it is still a fun game, and the story leading up to theMass Effect 3 will not force you to make tough decisions on a galactic scale. The RPG element from the first one has been taken away, and replaced with longer action packed combat. Having 3 games to tell a story, but leaving the player with an ending less desirable, greatly disappoints. If with those gripes, I give it a 7 because it is still a fun game, and the story leading up to the ending held me with suspense. It is no means as good as the first, or second games in the series, and that does disappoint. But taking a seat back and looking at it for what it is, I enjoyed the game. Expand
  43. Feb 5, 2013
    My first experience of the Mass effect series was through the second game in the trilogy, and that really did set the standard high straight from the off. I thought the best idea would most likely be to purchase the 1st game before playing the 3rd one as to account for decisions made throughout the saga. This turned out to be a rather meaningless venture as determined by Mass Effect 3.My first experience of the Mass effect series was through the second game in the trilogy, and that really did set the standard high straight from the off. I thought the best idea would most likely be to purchase the 1st game before playing the 3rd one as to account for decisions made throughout the saga. This turned out to be a rather meaningless venture as determined by Mass Effect 3. With the good, the graphics in this game are neat and arguably the best out of the bunch, it's polished and tidy with a few exceptions that require the gamer to overlook. Combat has been unstuck slightly from what in my view was a more static system in ME2 and ME1, refinement can be observed.

With the bad then, bearing in mind that most fans of the series will (rightly so) compare this title to it's predecessors, thats what these points are based off. The dialogue options came as a shock to my system, they took away what made the previously fun and exciting conversation choices and beat them down to formulaic two way cutscenes. Even if a player is to explore every single option in a wheel with more than two choices, it merely serves as providing information that mostly accounts for the people who have never played ME before, this trend is also visible with BLATANT repetition of the lore of some species (geth quarian war) that it makes long term players sit and think 'hmm i knew that'. Compared with the other two games, the "sidequests" in ME3 are for the most part dull fetch and return tasks to introduce a feeling of galactic warfare, yet in actual fact it is just another way of EA herding people to spend money in a cash shop to upgrade for the multiplayer seeing as it is the easiest way to increase "galactic readiness" which is ESSENTIAL if you want to end up with a "good ending", i won't get into that one.

In short ME3 takes a few steps forward in combat and graphics departments, even so these are still not perfect by any means, even small matters of convenience such as in ME2 your squadmate's ability they were using was highlighted on the tactical menu so you could see what you selected, here it's not, little things like that. ME3 takes a major step back in terms of dialogue choice, i can't even talk to my own companions without the game deciding when it it "the right time", even then i can only say a selection of similar phrases. I'd get the game purely for it being ME3 and the end of the series, but don't go in with a high expectation of it matching what you had come to expect.
  44. Nov 28, 2013
    Why the hell is this game so underrated? I enjoyed it so much! It was even better then the ME2! The plot is interesting, the comrades are awesome as usually, the combat system is fascinating, the music is simply perfect. 10/10 for me.
  45. Mar 7, 2013
    I'm not here to rip on ME3 just for the sake of doing so or because its what's cool to do on the internet like so many others.

Basically ME3 is the worst of the series in every way possible compared to the other 2 games because it doesn't build or improve anything. It simply just tries to hurriedly finish the series for the sake of a cash in on the title. 1- There is no sense of

1- There is no sense of exploration. The game as efficiently as possible holds your hand every step the way and has you actually being on the ground doing things the least amount possible. Side missions are carried out by quickly scanning a planet ala ME2 and then firing a probe. That's it. You don't explore, you don't get to check out uncharted worlds simply for the sake of curiosity or anything. Scan, shoot probe, side mission done all without even leaving the galaxy map. This tactic accounts for the majority of side missions. ME1 you could explore the galaxy drive around in that horribly handling buggy and had a sense of discovering things, ME2 you could land on planets and explore doing side missions with some not even firing a single shot like the crashed cruiser balanced on the mountain peak but all of those things are gone in 3. The game just holds your hand and ushers you from mission to mission.

2- You don't get to actually chose anything, everything is pre determined for you. Even if you chose the renegade or paragon path you get the exact same result and no one treats you differently and you get no alternative paths depending on your karma scale which makes it all incredibly pointless and just window dressing for the fact the story is entirely linear and so is your character.

3- The characters are all the same ones, only less compelling. There are a couple new characters but they are highly disposable and not even worth messing with. James for instance is basically just a guy who talks 90% of the time like a generic white guy, 10% of the time he throws out some Mexican phrases like saying "loco" a lot in his generic white guy trying to impersonate a Mexican guy and he looks like he was taken from the show jersey shore. When a old character returns you can see it coming a mile away. For instance you go into a area where the mission briefing talks about geth then you can see 45 minutes before which old character is going to come back. All the characters themselves seem hollow and rushed, they lack the personality that made them endearing in the other games and most are there only long enough to be overly obvious in a very specific mission or they simply show up for 3 minutes of camera time practically winking at the player with a nod and then are gone.

4- The story compared to the others sucks. The other games had side stories, character stories, side missions with their own short stories and so on. ME3 on the other is basically this "Everything is going to be destroyed". That's pretty much it because no matter where you go or what you do its always about the war specifically and nothing else. I also got sick of hearing phrases like "were here to save lives", "were doing this to save lives", "this weapon will save lives", "we need to stick together to save lives", "billions of lives are on the line and were here to save them", etc and after about 8 hours I was sick of hearing about the war and saving lives.

5- The game play was basically just one big shooting gallery and hiding behind chest high walls. Every single fight is basically you hiding behind chest high walls to peak out and fire a few rounds only to hide back behind said wall. It was incredibly boring and has been done to death in dozens of other games. The combat was mindless and mediocre. It felt like they put absolutely no effort into the combat at all and rushed you through it in order to get to the next scene of hearing Sheppard say "saving lives".

6- The ending was atrocious. This is a series that prides itself on story, characters and dialogue. We all spent over 100 bucks playing all 3 games and spent over 100 hours playing all 3 games but bioware seemed to say "This is the end of the trilogy so who cares about the ending". The ending is the most important part of any story of any kind because its the very last thing you leave the person with and its supposed to be a reward, the climax to everything leading up till then, basically the ending is the most important part of any story. But the ending of ME3 was over in just a minute or so despite the dozens of hours of dialogue, cut scenes and story in the rest of the series they got lazy at the end. It gives no satisfaction at all. I can honestly say it is the laziest segment of the series. I did like though they had the balls to do what they did with Sheppard, but the ending still sucks and doesn't make you glad to have finished the series.
  46. Jaz
    Feb 24, 2013
    The third part of the ME trilogy had to compete with two masterpieces. It failed. Combat is ok, but combat was never its strong point. The trend to remove RPG components like ME2 did, continues. For example in order to get side quests you don't even talk to NPCs anymore, you simply overhear conversations. But ME2 had a saving grace, its story was still very strong. ME3 doesn't have thatThe third part of the ME trilogy had to compete with two masterpieces. It failed. Combat is ok, but combat was never its strong point. The trend to remove RPG components like ME2 did, continues. For example in order to get side quests you don't even talk to NPCs anymore, you simply overhear conversations. But ME2 had a saving grace, its story was still very strong. ME3 doesn't have that and its not just the ending. Main story is predictable and boring. Last but not least, your companions are simply not interesting this time. Their stories too. An average game, nothing to really set it apart from other shooters. Expand
  47. Mar 14, 2013
    A wise man once said "The journey is more important than the destination". Mass Effect 3's ending is far from that what you may have hoped, but the epic and intense overall singleplayer story and the surprisingly well functioning co-operative multiplayer are SO well done that the ending is less than a split-second of importance.
  48. Mar 5, 2013
    I'm not going to take some kind of moral stance on this game. The gameplay was fun, the ending ruined it for me. I was genuinely very unhappy when I stopped playing the game. That shouldn't happen.
  49. Mar 7, 2013
    True. The ending storyline didn't live up the the incredible standards we have become used to with the Mass Effect series. I was upset with the ending the first time I finished the game. But i've completed the game 3 more times(with the slightly improved new ending they made for free DL) and I now realize that the ending is a small 1% of a game that is otherwise a very enjoyable work ofTrue. The ending storyline didn't live up the the incredible standards we have become used to with the Mass Effect series. I was upset with the ending the first time I finished the game. But i've completed the game 3 more times(with the slightly improved new ending they made for free DL) and I now realize that the ending is a small 1% of a game that is otherwise a very enjoyable work of art. 9/10. Loses 1 point for ending storyline. Expand
  50. Mar 7, 2013
    It could have been so good, but it fell short.

Mass Effect 3 is a decent game, scared by some bad design decisions and an awful, inconsistent ending. The combat in the game is more fluent than the predecessors, the graphics is generally crisp despite Shepard still feel sluggish when running around and navigating the (static) world. The writing is decent in this game, however it does
    It could have been so good, but it fell short.

The combat in the game is more fluent than the predecessors, the graphics is generally crisp despite Shepard still feel sluggish when running around and navigating the (static) world. The writing is decent in this game, however it does occasionally feel very 'soap'-television. Some of the characters are also very under represented in this game (especially characters like Jack, Miranda and so on). Even Ashley feels tacked on.
    Bioware's attempt at trying to set a dark atmosphere of doom and despair falls short in the game and it feels like many of the games 'sad' moments are so obvious that it's like trying to force an emotion more than build an emotion. Save perhaps for 'Mordin Solus' which is as brilliant a character in this as 'he' was in ME2.

Weapon modifications are back (yah). Although you quickly learn to just pick the best weapon and use. The most redeeming part of ME3 is the music. Brilliant music. I can even listen to that while not playing the game that's how good some of the pieces are. However the quest system in this game is bad, very bad. Basically you have some main quests which drive the story forth. These are mostly gotten via the main characters. Then there's some side quests which is gotten via the mail terminal. Not much different than ME2.
    However then there's quests gotten from listening in on random people which pops up and requires you to 'scan' planets, and then pick up the item via the scan.
    However the journal system and lack of inventory works very much against this type of quests. The 'escape reapers' type-mini game or what it is, is just awful. And I don't know what they thought of bringing that into the game.

And of course, the over shadowing ending, which invalidates and contradict much of the storyline from ME1 and ME2 (really obvious if playing all 3 in sequence). Makes most all of your choices throughout the previous game irrelevant. It did feel like leaving the game without an actual conclusion. The extended cut ending did not make matters much better, except as an insult to the fan groups which were disappointed.

The DLCs for the game are decent, but no where near the quality of Lair of the Shadow Broker for ME2. Omega is very combat orientated, which is okay in itself, but it's not really Mass Effect.
    Leviathan felt tacked on and much more like an attempt to build an in-game foundation for the ending more than anything. Citadel fun, but eventually irrelevant as it feels strange to put that into the middle of an all out war for the survival of the universe as 'we' know it. But well it's a farewell and a last money grab by Bioware.

Mass Effect 3 is a decent game. It's not an action-roleplaying as ME1 was. It's a better shooter than ME2, but it's properly too much shooter for many RPG fans, and not enough for the shooter fans. Bioware tried to grab both, but for what it could have been it falls tragically short of the target. Potential but lack of implementation.
    Bioware basically dropped the ball. It's worth a playthrough from the bargain bin, but knowing what I know now, I would not have bought it at release.
  51. Mar 8, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 will forever be the game that damaged the series and Bioware's image. There is no way that ME4 sales will ever get close to the sales of ME2 and ME3
  52. Mar 10, 2013
    I strongly disagree with the negative reviews. Originally ending was a bit confusing, although it didn't strike me as a bad one. And now, after the expansion ("extended cut") it has become perfect, no less. Note that Bioware didn't change the ending, they've just expanded it by adding more explanations in longer cutscenes. This is easily the best game in the series.
  53. Jun 25, 2013
    Mass effect 3 is a pretty damn good game i loved this game so much and i was very attached to it until the ending if you check the indoctrination theory video about the ending you will understand it more in the end it is a great game. worth buying
  54. Mar 13, 2013
    This is one of the best endings that i ever seen! The third part of the trilogy tell us about the all world, not only Shepard's history, and a lot of people can not understand this. But without all DLC the story is not full. I is highly recommending this series to every smart man or woman. Hudson is genius (not every one can understand his mind), and i'm waiting for new part of MassThis is one of the best endings that i ever seen! The third part of the trilogy tell us about the all world, not only Shepard's history, and a lot of people can not understand this. But without all DLC the story is not full. I is highly recommending this series to every smart man or woman. Hudson is genius (not every one can understand his mind), and i'm waiting for new part of Mass Effect, but without Shepard( i hope), because his place ONLY in the trilogy/ I love him, Hudson, Bioware and Mass Effect/ Good LUCK! Expand
  55. Jan 5, 2014
    I did not played this before extended cut expansion DLC so i don't know old ending. The game is a fair Mass effect game its content may not be as rich as ME2 but it is fun to play as a continuation.
  56. May 15, 2015
    The game play felt more like a action game than a Epic Space Role Playing Game this time around. They dumbed everything down massively, why I have no ideal. I kept playing and playing, to get to the end which, you simply should not even do. Once I did get to the end, even with the extended ending, it makes you feel as though all the hundreds of hours you spent with Mass Effect 1 and 2 wereThe game play felt more like a action game than a Epic Space Role Playing Game this time around. They dumbed everything down massively, why I have no ideal. I kept playing and playing, to get to the end which, you simply should not even do. Once I did get to the end, even with the extended ending, it makes you feel as though all the hundreds of hours you spent with Mass Effect 1 and 2 were a complete waste of time. The ending of the game destroys the entire series, and makes you feel as though the entire series was a waste of time. For some bizarre reason, the makers of the game defend this ending, even though it ruins the entire franchise. Expand
  57. Sep 8, 2013
    I... Don't... Understand what the big deal is... Yes, the game is not much of an RPG now, but, it was still great, one of the best I have played. Everyone have other feelings about the game though, I respect that. But from my perspective, this game is a must-have.
  58. Mar 27, 2013
    The only good thing about this game is the amount of weapons and customization for your skills. The voice acting is brilliant apart from Jessica Chobot. That's it. The story is full of plotholes, contradiction, retcons and downright nonsensical at times. The enemies and AI behaviour is subpar. Everything just bumrushes you and and do not use strategy of any sort. There is too littleThe only good thing about this game is the amount of weapons and customization for your skills. The voice acting is brilliant apart from Jessica Chobot. That's it. The story is full of plotholes, contradiction, retcons and downright nonsensical at times. The enemies and AI behaviour is subpar. Everything just bumrushes you and and do not use strategy of any sort. There is too little gameplay and too much cutscenes which makes the game feels like an interactive movie. There is also almost no RP element in the game apart from power customization. Your choices do not matter. The ending introduces new concepts altogether. Unnecessary inclusion of children to create emotions. So yeah, a botched job from Biower. Expand
  59. Mar 25, 2015
    The key to happiness is low expectations, so I'm very happy with Mass Effect 3, but not for the reason you think. What I mean is, that after all of these terrible reviews, 0s and 1s, I expected this game to be horrible and what I discovered was a wonderful experience instead. I used the (Better Mass Effect 2) mod to fix the previous game's antialiasing issues, but what I really liked aboutThe key to happiness is low expectations, so I'm very happy with Mass Effect 3, but not for the reason you think. What I mean is, that after all of these terrible reviews, 0s and 1s, I expected this game to be horrible and what I discovered was a wonderful experience instead. I used the (Better Mass Effect 2) mod to fix the previous game's antialiasing issues, but what I really liked about that mod was its description of casual mode. "This mode is intended for those who are more interested in story than gameplay." I'm very good at online shooters, but that's not why I fell in love with this series. I missed out on Mass Effect for years, and just started the first one in 2015, and I was unable to stop playing until I beat ME3 in about a week and a half. Yes I flew through the story, but I relished every second of it, and now I can go back to play any 1 of the 3 titles on harder difficulties to enjoy them to their max. This game is supposedly the last one in the series and I'm okay with that because it satiated my need for a conclusion to this epic story. However, I'm not one of those people who expect video games or movies to make everything in my life perfect, so the ending dilemma didn't bother me one bit. I liked it. I liked that I can earn better endings by playing ME3 longer and increasing my readiness, and I like the fact that I can look up the other endings online beforehand. If you really take a good look at fantastic video games, and really most movies, their endings are not that great; it's the expectations you have of them that determines your experience, and because of that, I love Mass Effect 3 to death. Not only did this game look better than ME1 and 2, it also brought back all of the ideas and voice acting I loved from the previous games and helped me wrap up the journey in an epic way. Bioware or EA didn't try to screw over their customers; what they did was try to offer an impressive movie level production that lived up to gamers' expectations. It worked for me, but obviously not for others, which I really don't understand. Well, I do understand it, because some people just expect too much out of their games, but it's sad. It's sad because this game is excellent, 10/10, and it doesn't deserve all of the hate. Oh and by the way, the female voice actor for Shepard is mind-blowingly awesome. I didn't really notice many changes between game 1, 2 and 3 because she was still making it epic for me :3 The same goes for the rest of the cast. Expand
  60. Mar 30, 2013
    The fan reviews doesn't lie, the ME franchise was ruined with this game. The way the ending was done have completely ruined the great ME experience for me. This a long with other poor choices made in ME 3 has laid a foundation for a terrible game. 2 out of 10 is what I have given it. This development of the franchise really has me fearing for the future of the ME series.
  61. Apr 5, 2013
    As a beloved fan of the Mass Effect series, I was without a doubt quite disappointed with this game. While the game play is good and offers a more fluid experience, I fell that they dumbed the combat down to much. They also took away most of the RPG aspect of the game I loved. The story I felt was really lacking compared to ME1 & ME2. The new characters like Diane and James were veryAs a beloved fan of the Mass Effect series, I was without a doubt quite disappointed with this game. While the game play is good and offers a more fluid experience, I fell that they dumbed the combat down to much. They also took away most of the RPG aspect of the game I loved. The story I felt was really lacking compared to ME1 & ME2. The new characters like Diane and James were very uninteresting and the graphics and animations have barely been touched since ME2. My decisions imported from the first two games didn't really impact the story and I feel like BioWare and EA were turning this game into a clone of Gears of War except in space. And what the is up with Day 1 DLC From Ashes? For a very important character relevant to the entire series and basically what it is based on? EA is obviously trying to pressure BioWare into making a more "mass-appealing game". No!

Also, the quest system is complete and utter And what happened to my narrative structure. I sometime barely see the wheel in conversations anymore! Also, the score of this game was lackluster.

Some good about the game. I thought most of the main missions were fine ad well-crafted although they ended anti-climatically and the weaponry was good. The main teammates and old puns and people from the old games appear and make the game more enjoyable. Combat is great. Checkpoints are forgiving. Powers are good. Multiplayer is fun.

And then, theirs the end. The ending of the game was so outrageous, disgusting, unethical, the biggest hypocritical scene made by BioWare that it made me mad. Even with Extended Cut DLC, it was terrible. I could have picked a better ending from my mother****ing ass.

All in all, Mass Effect 3 was hyped up to be an excellent, but failed to deliver on so many levels. However, I still enjoyed the game for what it was. But seriously, DLC in this game is pretty OK, but they make it so short for 15.00 im spending for it
  62. Apr 7, 2013
    Simply put, its a fun 3rd person shooter with rpg elements and a bad ending. The only people who don't think the ending is bad are the fan-boys or those with ADD who didn't pay attention to the story. The choices you make in the game do not affect the outcome of your ending. You get to the end and are presented with A, B, or C choice for an ending like Deus Ex did. On top of it theSimply put, its a fun 3rd person shooter with rpg elements and a bad ending. The only people who don't think the ending is bad are the fan-boys or those with ADD who didn't pay attention to the story. The choices you make in the game do not affect the outcome of your ending. You get to the end and are presented with A, B, or C choice for an ending like Deus Ex did. On top of it the ending makes no sense, and contradicts itself. It's still a fun game but the story does dissapoint. Expand
  63. May 24, 2013
    I must say, this game starts very poorly (even worse than ME2) and it probably has the worst ending of any of the hundreds of games that I have played. It also doesn't provide much direction at the beginning, so if you play without using a wiki (like I did) you can miss out on a lot of content that I would have liked to play. That said, I have no other complaints about this game. WhileI must say, this game starts very poorly (even worse than ME2) and it probably has the worst ending of any of the hundreds of games that I have played. It also doesn't provide much direction at the beginning, so if you play without using a wiki (like I did) you can miss out on a lot of content that I would have liked to play. That said, I have no other complaints about this game. While you don't get as many squad members, you can still develop meaningful relationships with them throughout the game. The world is fantastic. I'm probably going to be crucified for this, but I think the Mass Effect story/universe is superior to both Star Wars and Star Trek. Its not perfect, but it is still a shining example of what sci-fi should be, and is definitely worth a play, just don't have your hopes too high for the ending. Expand
  64. Apr 30, 2013
    I'd avoid it. If you want a really good RPG, try something by Larian Studios instead. It's mainstream mush... so you won't find any good stories here. BioWare hasn't made a good game in a long time, not since MDK2 or before.
  65. May 2, 2013
    Great game, loved every minute of it, except for the ending.

Ending could have been better but I don't know if I'm just annoyed I wont have any more Mass Effect
  66. Apr 13, 2013
    when i have played the first mass effect then the second mass effect i have enjoyed playing those games and i never stopped playing the second one trust me. until the third one came out and i just got me3 at the start if 2013. now the thing did not bother me much are the gameplay,new weapon designs and the new covering thing is cool! and some old favorite characters! but when i checked mywhen i have played the first mass effect then the second mass effect i have enjoyed playing those games and i never stopped playing the second one trust me. until the third one came out and i just got me3 at the start if 2013. now the thing did not bother me much are the gameplay,new weapon designs and the new covering thing is cool! and some old favorite characters! but when i checked my journal the quest system is broken and that really pissed me off like they wont tell you your progression and like finding war assets and side missions on the citadel. and why is chobot in the game!?!? and the squad roster more smaller then the 2nd one? the thing that really pissed me of is the reveal of tali's face, damn bioware for the photo god dang it! i liked multiplayer but its whored mode (u dont sAY u guys played its before me yes yes yes) also the ending i have heard alot of people talking about the ending god dammit. then here comes mr dlc to save the day! but wait a minute? DLC THE ACTUAL ENDING!?! BULLSH*t EA AND BIOWARE!

people who gave this game an extremely low score plz and try to understand that mass effect 3 isnt terrible, it is awesome.

my score is this: you guys would love me to give this game a low score but this is what im giving it.....

8/10 it is an extremely awesome game.

if u low me3 scorers hate this score dont judge me there are alot of me3 players out there and you guys should follow.

final things to say:
    i hope they will make an me4 game and i would be really happy :)

PS you guys who gave this game a low score its fun and it got around 6-3rd place in best games of 2012!

by DrunkenWhaler
  67. May 16, 2013
    Yeah, after the outstanding ME1 & 2 this is definitely a let down when it comes to the story! Biggest disappointment of the year with the worst ending in history, but lets be honest it's still one of the best game of the year! They used deus ex machina to resolve the plot not once but twice! But it's not all bad combat is great, characters are still amazing, there are two memorableYeah, after the outstanding ME1 & 2 this is definitely a let down when it comes to the story! Biggest disappointment of the year with the worst ending in history, but lets be honest it's still one of the best game of the year! They used deus ex machina to resolve the plot not once but twice! But it's not all bad combat is great, characters are still amazing, there are two memorable missions(unfortunately only two). Conclusion the game is great, the narrative is And also it send possible sequel in the oblivion Expand
  68. Apr 26, 2013
    What to say? Im not a totally fan of Mass Effect fan, i bought the the trilogy at origin with a lot of expectations but i could not understand why this game are so famous. The entire series are so regular.
  69. Apr 28, 2013
    I know many people are very angry at this game, and I understand that. Mass Effect 3 is just as much a step backward as a step forward from the previous iterations of the series. ME3 is much more action-oriented than the previous two games, something which I don't mind, There are more weapons in each category, and each class can now use every weapon. For me this opened up new gameplayI know many people are very angry at this game, and I understand that. Mass Effect 3 is just as much a step backward as a step forward from the previous iterations of the series. ME3 is much more action-oriented than the previous two games, something which I don't mind, There are more weapons in each category, and each class can now use every weapon. For me this opened up new gameplay possibilities. I could be a sentinel with a sniper rifle, a shotgun-wielding adept or engineer. While I like some of the new combat changes, the loss of RPG elements annoys me. Shepard can still pick his/her squad, but now there are only 6 squad members to chose from, 7 if you bought the DAY-ONE dlc, as opposed to the 11-12 there were in ME2. Loyalty mission are also gone, which takes away a personal element. Long-time fans of the series may be a bit disappointed by all this, but ME3 makes up for it in other ways. The Graphics are actually impressive, with nice lighting effects and great CGI space battles. These battles will be in great abundance, as now Shepard is facing the full force of the reaper onslaught against the galaxy. Shepard will have to unite the races of the galaxy, no easy task, to successfully fight off the reaper invasion and recapture earth. Choosing which races to side with, and some actions that Shepard chooses have an effect on and overall "readiness" bar which indicates military strength, and chances of victory in the final battle. Unfortunately, none of the other decisions Shepard has made throughout the other games will have ANY impact on the final ending. The end of the game feels rushed and lazy. For this i find that EA is probably to blame, rushing the game out ahead of schedule. An ending DLC does fix many of these issues, but leaves many unanswered. The fact that there even is an ending DLC to me shows that bioware cares for the universe it created, even if the messed up the first time around. Another good thing is that the awful mining mini games are gone...to be replaced with a less annoying, simpler, "find stuff on planet to help you in the war effort". One final thing that annoyed me about the gameplay was that instead of multiple factions and enemies, there are only three: Cerberus, reapers, and geth. This feels like another move away from more rpg elements to action elements. The AI is adequate; on higher difficulties some of the bigger enemies can be troublesome. Despite the changes, ME3 still feels like Mass Effect, a third person cover shooter.rpg hybrid. Using Shepard's powers and squad mate's powers to effectively combat enemy strengths and weaknesses is something true fans of the series will find fun and familiar. The soundtrack is great, the characters still great, and the story only slightly less than what most expect from Mass Effect.
    Which brings me to the multiplayer. Many people were worried it would take over from the single player, but it doesn't, in fact, it provides a welcome distraction from the reaper attack. Multiplayer is a horde-based mode in which up to four players can fight against waves of enemies of different types as many different races and classes. Ever wanted to play as a quarian engineer? A drell assassin, turian soldier, or even Krogan and Geth? There are also scores of weapons, upgrades, and attachments available. So far all the MP DLCs have been free, but MP still feels like EA trying to make quick cash sometimes. Multiplayer can still be fun, though. All considered, Mass Effect 3 feels a slightly rushed ending to a series dear to many people's hearts. It is still a good, dun game, but lets down in many things fans have come to expect form Bioware and the series as a whole.
  70. Dec 10, 2014
    Fantastic game. Just finished the game recently for a second time however with the addition of all dlc's and it was great. Loved it. This one is my favorite of the trilogy. Characters are fantastic, the entire ME universe is unbelievable. Technical part of the game has been improved significantly, everything is smooth and fast, loading times are fast. There is a huge variety of weapons andFantastic game. Just finished the game recently for a second time however with the addition of all dlc's and it was great. Loved it. This one is my favorite of the trilogy. Characters are fantastic, the entire ME universe is unbelievable. Technical part of the game has been improved significantly, everything is smooth and fast, loading times are fast. There is a huge variety of weapons and armor. Dialogs with and between characters are fantastic and the writing is awesome. Missions are great and diverse. It was a really fun pleasure playing this game, well, until the ending. The whole dialog tree with the catalyst/harbinger/child/thing was absolutely ridiculous and made no sense whatsoever. machines and organics have to always fight why exactly?, well, because of some twisted logic that the writers decided because they were to lazy or incompetent to come up with something better Unbelievable. Expand
  71. Sep 28, 2013
    Disappointment, is the word I would sum this game up with. Mass Effect 3, being a last game in a ME trilogy abandons most of the things that made Mass Effect 1 or 2 so successful.
    The story of this game, revolving around a mysterious alien device nobody knows anything about is full of plotholes and irrationalities. The gameplay is an improved version of Mass Effect 2, which still abandons most of RPG qualities as it's predecessor did. If that wasn't bad enough, Bioware decided to strip the player out of choices and if there is any they consequences are very similar making the choice itself meaningless. The characters and the world respond to every dialogue option in a very similar way making the whole Paragon/Renegade morality system totally worthless.
    While a player can import a save from the Mass Effect 2, he/she have to be aware that it doesn't make much of a difference, as possibly dead characters from Mass Effect 2 are replaced on the spot with another new/old character without any noteworthy consequence.
    There is no choice which mission you want to do, unlike in Mass Effect 1/2, here you just jump from one main mission to the other, linearly going forward to maybe the most disappointing ending in history of videogames.
    Bad writing, lack of logic, lack of choices and consequences means that this game isn't what it is advertised to be. Add annoying control scheme on PC and you have one of the worst game I have ever played and certainly the most disappointing one.
    Only redeeming quality of this game is it's soundtrack.
    Overall, 2/10 stay away.
  72. May 11, 2013
    I don't understand why critics are giving this game good reviews. The story the gameplay and every other mechanic that could be dumbed down was. I was disappointed at the ending because one of my all time favourite RPG games was turned into a third person shooter and not an RPG.
  73. May 16, 2013
    No way this should be a 4.7 all the cheep need to get a life and stop being butt hurt over the ending. ME3's ending was absolutely brilliant in terms of semantics and the games overall tone, it is depressing that the majority of asswipes cannot see nor do they care to appreciate that. Bioware fans a truly the scum of the earth.
  74. May 18, 2013
    Its easily the Best Game of 2012 i really enjoyed and liked every minute, Yes even the ending was great i nearly cried and this is the only game what could make me cry.Finally not a dissapointment boring always fairy tale happy ending.
  75. sft
    Feb 26, 2017
    Still not quite the full kilo

Still not quite the full kilo

I have a somewhat ambivalent relationship with the Mass Effect games. I’ve enjoyed all of them but that enjoyment has been tempered by frustration, mostly with the combat mechanics. MASS EFFECT 3 is no exception to this rule. The cover mechanics in ME2 were an improvement over those in the original game but in ME3 they have messed them up. For some crazy reason they’ve bound 3 vital actions (cover, roll, and storm (sprint)) to a single key (I believe this may also have been the case with ME2 but I don’t recall it being so annoying). This is a monumentally stupid design choice. (Now that I’ve finished the game I discover that there is a work around for the PC version – if only I’d looked earlier.) And yet, despite this, I still had fun battling the Reapers and their cronies. Aside from this the RPG elements seem to have been played down a little and there’s an option to water them down even more, so that it plays as more of an action game (I didn’t try this option, so I don’t know exactly how different the experience is). Personally, I don’t see the point in this as this is where the Mass Effect games score highly – in the RPG elements. It’s the characters, the strong story, and the detailed universe that draw you in, and make you become invested in the outcome for all concerned. And ME3 is very effective in all these areas. As always there’s lots of background information to absorb as well, if you choose to do so. The graphics are reasonable for a 2012 game (although they don’t stand out as exceptional in any way) and the voice acting is good for the most part. Overall ME3 is a worthy addition to the franchise (I won’t get into the debate regarding the ending, as this is not the ideal platform) and I look forward to Mass Effect: Andromeda.
  76. Sep 23, 2015
    Now that I have been able to actually play it, I thought I'd post about the actual game. I'm not going to go into any spoilers, but I will address some of the furor about the game in the end.

First off, the gameplay is probably the worst in the series. Control is a mess. A single control is used for running, ducking into cover, mantling, and using. Nothing is worse than running

First off, the gameplay is probably the worst in the series.

Control is a mess. A single control is used for running, ducking into cover, mantling, and using. Nothing is worse than running down a hallway to put some distance between you and an opponent and get caught near a wall or ledge and duck into cover, or having to stop to use an interactable object. Simply stupid. There still is no jump option, but a double click of the said "universal" button will cause you to make a dive roll. While melee attacks make an appearance, it's totally useless with the "universal" button, except in surprise.

Missions finally received a notification on the map, but only the important ones. Hell, you have to actually keep track of side quests on your own. You woun't know if you completed a sidequest until you try to go back and do it again. There is no notification that you have what you need and are allowed to turn it in. Some of these are actually worth turning in for the assets they provide.

Inventory is even more opaque than ME2. While they did have a comparison guide that showed the difference between your equipped item and an observed item, it's done in bars and not numbers. Call me simple, but I prefer numbers to bar graphs. This is where ease of information ends. Once you have a certain brand of weapon, you can then purchase the next in the series (I, II, III, IV, V), but all it says is that it improves the item. Doesn't give any specifics on what is improved, or give comparisons to justify the cost. WHEN you find the weapon makes no difference in it's ability. The crappiest shotgun in the game isn't found until late the second act and it costs more than the better selections to upgrade. So price does not equal benefit.

Level design is questionable, at best. Some is just downright mindboggling. It's like the level designers had no idea how the mechanics of the game would function. Few are designed reasonably well, good flow and logical objectives with just enough variety to allow for varied gameplay. Most of the time, run and gun is simply the best option. After a while, you get locked into the mindset of run and gun when they try to force you into a different mindset and you have to die before realising that you needed to go easy this time. There was simply more bad than good here.

Saying that the difficulty was cranked up is a like saying 1.01 is technically greater than 1.

For all the complaints about the ending, it's not really a surprise that it ends the way it does. This game promised unprecedented agency, but realistically speaking couldn't deliver within the formats it was targeting. The ending, viewed through a lense of time and complaints past, really highlights that it was a big furor for all the wrong reasons. The ending was completely viable as an ending. An anticlimactic ending. The omissions in narrative aside, the whole story was well done. This is about the only thing that was.

The rest of the game is what was messed up. This whole climactic build up that was pretty much spent in a cutscene. A cutscene that is the same in every way, no matter what the play though. No, I'm not talking about the red/green/blue ending, but the assault on Earth. All the running around you did meant nothing to the game other that what color ending you got. There is no pitched battle for Earth. I honestly expected some movement around the globe to take back strongholds and then finally attack the the main objective.

Nope, just a final board upon landing. The moments of fighting among the your various rallied troops is but a passing nod to what you did. The real loss of the illusion of agency wasn't the ending, it's everything that built up to it. None of it mattered. If you rallied factions A, B, C, E, and G and lost D and F. No biggie. Didn't cost you anything, but MAYBE a missing person to talk to. Hell, one faction is pretty much completely missing even if you had not done any of the others.

Maybe if each faction was tasked with taking back a part of Earth and was as long as the final objective and the final objective was twice as long, it might have felt like an accomplishment. As it is, the final level is noticeably short and plainly evident that what you did meant nothing. I never once thought to myself, "I'm sure glad I have faction X at my side in this fight!" Doesn't matter. That is the real problem.

TL:DR - Story good. Gameplay bad. EA failed to deliver in gameplay what the excellent narrative provided.

Shame.
  77. May 26, 2013
    Story 9 great and an appropriate ending for the trilogy;
    Graphics 7 the game being ported from consoles you can clearly see the graphical limitations;
    Gameplay 7 way to simple for an rpg;
  78. May 27, 2013
    No matter how bad the ending was, the game was GREAT. I don't think storytelling this good has ever been in a game like this before. Judge them how they are, but the DLC they release are worth it. They leave you with this feeling of sadness because of how well the told the story. The last lines that Bioware created for Shepard, "Its been a damn good ride" "The best" just makes you think.No matter how bad the ending was, the game was GREAT. I don't think storytelling this good has ever been in a game like this before. Judge them how they are, but the DLC they release are worth it. They leave you with this feeling of sadness because of how well the told the story. The last lines that Bioware created for Shepard, "Its been a damn good ride" "The best" just makes you think. over 6 years this game is great.

During this game they give you a feeling of urgency. The Reaper attack makes you want to hurry.
  79. May 29, 2013
    I loved this game. The combat is smooth and flows very well. The story is enthralling and pulls you to the edge of your seat, and contrary to what most people say the end is good. It could have been better but I still liked it. Now i never played the game till after the extended cut ending was released so I don't know what it was like before, but the extended ending game me a sense ofI loved this game. The combat is smooth and flows very well. The story is enthralling and pulls you to the edge of your seat, and contrary to what most people say the end is good. It could have been better but I still liked it. Now i never played the game till after the extended cut ending was released so I don't know what it was like before, but the extended ending game me a sense of closure that I need for this series. Ignore the low user rating and play this series from start to finish and enjoy the amazing story that BioWare made for us. Expand
  80. Jun 15, 2013
    We really do need to stop rating this game on its ending. Let's be fair to Bioware, they had a damn difficult task giving us a fitting, satisfying conclusion to a goddamn fantastic franchise, and for the most part, they achieved it. Let's get the positive stuff done first. The game has much improved combat, and the voice acting, dialogue and story (for the most part) are as hard hitting asWe really do need to stop rating this game on its ending. Let's be fair to Bioware, they had a damn difficult task giving us a fitting, satisfying conclusion to a goddamn fantastic franchise, and for the most part, they achieved it. Let's get the positive stuff done first. The game has much improved combat, and the voice acting, dialogue and story (for the most part) are as hard hitting as before, with several emotional scenes being some of the best character endings I have witnessed. The games inclusion of multiplayer should really have been story co-op, but the horde, co-op mode serves as a nice distraction for when you tire of the core game. The music is good as ever, and the graphics have improved. The game does a good job of getting the atmosphere of all out war right, and it feels like the universe is fighting the reapers. Now for the bad stuff. Before we address the ending, there were other things wrong with this game. Some idiot at Bioware for some reason decided to remove mission tracking in journal entries, so we never know how far we are in a certain mission! There does feel like a bit of Michael Bay EXPLOSIONS EVERYWHERE action going off here, but despite this it would have been nicer to see all out battles going on rather than linear small skirmishes. Now, the ending. Yes, it was bad. It was an A, B, or C option like we were explicitly promised would not happen. And yes, it had many plot holes and felt irritating and out of character for Shepherd to go along with it. But honestly, just because 20 minutes of the game was bad, it does not mean the whole game was bad. Expand
  81. Jun 20, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 is a good, good, good game. Yes, the part of the ending with the child makes no sense (not to spoil-y I hope). But other than that, Mass Effect 3 is a great accomplishment in gaming. With ME 3, Bioware found a good balance between action and RPG elements. For RPG fans, there is a long list of skill trees to mess around with and weapon modification to match your gameplayMass Effect 3 is a good, good, good game. Yes, the part of the ending with the child makes no sense (not to spoil-y I hope). But other than that, Mass Effect 3 is a great accomplishment in gaming. With ME 3, Bioware found a good balance between action and RPG elements. For RPG fans, there is a long list of skill trees to mess around with and weapon modification to match your gameplay style. They removed the class limitation on weapons and simply let you choose which of the pistols and rifles you want to use. All of the powers have been balanced so that all classes are equally viable on the hardest difficulties. All in all gameplay has been greatly improved from ME 2. The story is still great. You have less squad members than ME2 but they are more fleshed out. If you haven't played the first two games a lot of the story might be lost on you but for people have played both ME1 and ME2 in order, ME 3 finishes up the Story arcs of each character(s) in a beautiful and cathartic way. You have a lot of influence and involvement with how the stories end which increase the player's investment in the game. I plead with you, dear reader, ignore the bad user reviews and give this game a chance. Expand
  82. Jun 25, 2013
    Again, the user score is more than unfair. Mass Effect 3 is a good game, but it just doesn't live up to the expectations people had after the second part.

The main problem with Mass Effect 3 is the storytelling which builds up to whole lot of nothing. And with this, I don't mean just the ending which is unsatisfying to say the least. The whole coming back to Earth part seams rushed after spending the whole game preparing for it. Also one of the main elements of the game, collecting war resources, seems to affect nothing in the end (maybe some cinematic is slightly altered).

Overall gaming experience is also not quite as immersive as with Mass Effect 2. On several occasions, I couldn't help the feeling that I was just running around completing some random tasks to get to the next place. Also NPC characters didn't feel quite as deep as in Mass Effect 2. However, compared to storytelling these are very minor issues and the overall gaming experience was still very good.

It's hard to say if this game can be recommended or not. Basically everything, except the storytelling, is done as it should or better. However, one of the worst things game can do is leave players unsatisfied at the end. Thus I wouldn't at least wait some kind of bargain before considering buying this.
  83. Jun 24, 2013
    Great game. Ending was meh. It definitely improved with the free dlc, but the ending still wasn't great. Other than that though, a simply legendary game worthy of your money. Seriously go buy it. Be sure to play the whole series in order though
  84. Jun 24, 2013
    Such a disappointing end to a series. The problem with the ending is simply that it such a waste of opportunity. If Bioware wanted whatever ending is their decision but they don't really go through it, no funeral, no wedding, no epilogue, just laziness, just nonsense. FFXII opens with a great wedding and a funeral in its opening animation, I don't care if its happy or sad, I just wish toSuch a disappointing end to a series. The problem with the ending is simply that it such a waste of opportunity. If Bioware wanted whatever ending is their decision but they don't really go through it, no funeral, no wedding, no epilogue, just laziness, just nonsense. FFXII opens with a great wedding and a funeral in its opening animation, I don't care if its happy or sad, I just wish to enjoy the feelings, I am paying for this. Mass effect 3 had the perfect opportunity to make you feel so much, you have been playing so long with this crew, a reunion, or funeral, or big closure would have made me feel so much, but is just a big "thank you for playing, but we wont say what happened, bye" Expand
  85. Jun 25, 2013
    Obviously the parallel development of Star Wars: The Old Republic took a toll on both games.
    ME 3 seems to be hastily assembled to finish the series in the given time frame. The ending strongly reminds me of another game series of the Cyberpunk genre which I also like. But this ending style is imho not fitting to the ME series.
    The last two missions felt right out of place. But face it:
    The last two missions felt right out of place.
    But face it: these are the most the negative points of the third part. ME3 is still clearly above average and is never worse than a 7.0. No way Sorry, just because you've expected a happy end doesn't make the whole game bad.

The "Galaxy at War" mechanics is simply brilliant. It allows all your deeds of the three parts and two additional games, the cooperative multiplayer (included in ME3) and the mobile app "Infiltrator" to be integrated and add to your effort to save the galaxy.
    And don't believe everything you read here. E.g. multiplayer is not necessary at all to get the best endings but you need a pretty good score which is maybe not possible if you killed everything and everyone possible in the first two parts ;-p You'll just feel the consequences of your previous actions.
    And this is clearly a benefit of this game series which also contributes to ME3.

My advice to all players who gave a score below 5: play the ME series a second time and you'll see the game a little bit differently.
  86. Nov 12, 2015
    Well, I'm sorry, but this is disgrace to franchise. So, let's be reasonable and mark pluses and minuses of this game
    Pluses:
    - The Soundtrack. Marvelous - Graphics. It's ok, but who care about graphics anyway? - Feeling of Galaxy united. Game has some closure Minuses: - Plot holes, plot holes everywhere (Fixed with EC DLC) - Combat and Role-Play systems sucks. It's action-RPG, not
    Pluses:
    - The Soundtrack. Marvelous
    - Graphics. It's ok, but who care about graphics anyway?
    - Feeling of Galaxy united. Game has some closure

Minuses:
    - Plot holes, plot holes everywhere (Fixed with EC DLC)
    - Combat and Role-Play systems sucks. It's action-RPG, not Call of Duty. The best of all 3 games this system was in original Mass Effect.
    - Galactic map. Fly to the system, collect artifact and then escape the Reapers - it's so redundant.
    - And of course, that ending. Now, in the end of year 2015, when Mass Effect Andromeda teaser revealed, I never re-completed Mass Effect 3 after Extension Cut DLC release. For me, franchise is ruined with that ending
  87. Jul 22, 2013
    I played this game a long time ago but just decided to come back and reflect. I thought the gameplay was good. But the best thing about this game was the atmosphere. It felt crushing at all times. I felt that there was no time and all would be lost, so I had to try something. I could really get into the mood of this game and I thought the ending reflected ME3's atmosphere as a wholeI played this game a long time ago but just decided to come back and reflect. I thought the gameplay was good. But the best thing about this game was the atmosphere. It felt crushing at all times. I felt that there was no time and all would be lost, so I had to try something. I could really get into the mood of this game and I thought the ending reflected ME3's atmosphere as a whole perfectly. I think this game has had one of the best storylines in a game yet. The most important thing to me was the music combined with the few glimpses of light and hope spending time with those close to the protagonist. This game shows to me how creating a coherent structure for atmosphere can make for a unique, amazing and touching experience. I understand that this came at a cost of some features, but I still loved it. I also felt the game series had matured to beyond the black and white. I understand that the younger audience might find this annoying. I loved it. Finding an answer to all the questions after all that, would've been the definition of anticlimax. I find myself listening to "Leaving Earth" from time to time and it can take me through my journey at any time. Expand
  88. Jul 1, 2013
    After the dust had settled and the brutal "star child" wars have been waged, I returned to ME3, and it still serves as the definitively example of how to disappoint on all levels.

This game must have been designed to be a blockbuster with all those troublesome expenses related to quality cut out. The depth of the universe is gone, replaced by petty 3rd party dialogue microcosms that read like bad soap operas. The gameplay is as simplistic and vapid as the ending- even the hardest levels offer only random chance as a mechanic rather than strategy. Level design, if you can even call it that, is reduced to a corridor with walls to hide behind. If you are on a planet there is a nice background of a vibrant world that you will by no means be able to interact with ever- kind of a final "f-you" from EA.

There is more, so much more, but I'm getting tired and my love of the first two games can only create so much antipathy towards this one.
  89. Jul 2, 2013
    I just don't understand why this magnificent game has received so many negative reviews.Just because people are not satisfied with the ending(which I found very satisfying-Play the game with the EXTENDED CUT DLC-then it would make sense),it doesn't mean that this isn't a good game. In fact this series the one of the GREATEST GAME TRILOGIES ever made.Please don't undervalue this game justI just don't understand why this magnificent game has received so many negative reviews.Just because people are not satisfied with the ending(which I found very satisfying-Play the game with the EXTENDED CUT DLC-then it would make sense),it doesn't mean that this isn't a good game. In fact this series the one of the GREATEST GAME TRILOGIES ever made.Please don't undervalue this game just because the game didn't end the way you wanted(No Offense). Expand
  90. Jul 3, 2013
    Repetitive game! After 3-4 hours playing the game is going to get boring.
    Bad and boring K.I. and sometimes unfair difficulty.
    Only for fans! For people who never played such games its wasted money.
  91. Jan 22, 2016
    Mass Effect 3 is a schizohprenic conclusion of the serie's contradiction. The Mass Effect, seeing it in its full spectrum, seems to go in two separate ways - backwards and forward at the same time. While the gameplay part of the series was progressing into more and more competent pop-a-mole TPS, reaching a strong mediocrity with moderate speed of the fights and a better encounters' design;Mass Effect 3 is a schizohprenic conclusion of the serie's contradiction. The Mass Effect, seeing it in its full spectrum, seems to go in two separate ways - backwards and forward at the same time. While the gameplay part of the series was progressing into more and more competent pop-a-mole TPS, reaching a strong mediocrity with moderate speed of the fights and a better encounters' design; the storytelling and writing departments were slipping into the pit of awfulness of tumblr level of quality. No, really. I hope you didn't cringe too much at the "persuasion" of Saren in the first game, because Mass Effect 3 is really thousand times worse. It's so bad, that they even copy-pasted the said scene with the Illusive Man. There are still some average bits that can be counted in favor, like solving the Genophage and uniting the Geth with their old folks - in fact they feel like they were written by absolutely different people that wrote the major parts of the main quest - like the wunderwaffe, a living Protean or the Reapers invasion itself, not to mention the ending. I think it's enough to said that they efficiently turned the Reapers from vague masterminds of unknown, through the "I will get you next time Gadget!" cartoony villains, into space dragons with their own zombie hordes. What I'm saying is that the premise that was present in the first game, a premise for fantasy space-opera with s-f paint all over it was lost in favor of generic high-fantasy shlock where tumblrian fan-service was more important than its integrity itself. Enough said that the first two games are absolutely irrelevant after the first minute of the third game, since apparently all the Reapers needed were 5 years to reach the galaxy and take it in a matter of weeks. Sovereign and Harbringer are pretty dumb, if they tried to pull some more elaborate schemes (it's a fan-fic level of quality I've mentioned earlier) that were equally pointless and stupid. Why to activate the Citadel and uncover yourself in trying to do so, if in other case you need and extra 5 years to reach all of the Galaxy? Why to collect people to "build" a Reaper (there's some cartoon science right there) and then when you finally have material, time and safety to do so (after the invasion) to abandon the idea all together and just sit there doing nothing?
    Do you know what's the biggest irony here? That despite the absolutely garbage writing with some cherries among it, I enjoyed the third game the most of the three, The pop-a-mole part keeps you involved enough to finish the game, assuming you start on the Insane difficulty (anything less is pointless). It's the worst game overall, because the ratio of good vs bad is off the chart, unlikely to the first Mass Effect, that is sitting in one circle of mediocrity altogether.
    You can see that there was little thought and work put into the technical side of the game. The texture quality was really sub-par, voice acting is just terrible (accompanied by awfully written lines it gives a really bad outcime) and don't even let me start to talk about animations.
  92. Jul 5, 2013
    I can completely understand where people are coming from when they say they hated this game because of it's ending and whatnot, but what you can't ignore is the fact that until that point, the game was incredible. Seeing the characters from that past two games and even having a couple of them join your crew again brings great feelings of nostalgia and while I admit, the 'space bar to doI can completely understand where people are coming from when they say they hated this game because of it's ending and whatnot, but what you can't ignore is the fact that until that point, the game was incredible. Seeing the characters from that past two games and even having a couple of them join your crew again brings great feelings of nostalgia and while I admit, the 'space bar to do everything' concept was quite poor, the reason I play Mass Effect was for the intricate storyline and the lovable characters, not the gameplay. The basic cover shooting mechanics and the games ending stopped this from getting a 10, but, in my opinion, it's still one of the greatest gaming series of all time, and I can't wait to see what Bioware gives us with the next instalment. Expand
  93. Jun 6, 2015
    After 2 or 3 years and 2 computers, I still cannot even truly start this game. Near the beginning, during the tutorial there is a door. It refuses to open. I can't fairly rate the rest of the game, but so far what I have personally experienced is:
    Un-skippable cutscenes
    Poor Controls A game breaking bug at the beginning of the game Weird physics and general glitchyness (Sheppard
    Un-skippable cutscenes
    Poor Controls
    A game breaking bug at the beginning of the game
    Weird physics and general glitchyness (Sheppard noticeably sunk into the floor for example)
    Poor graphics control (Got motion sickness? Good luck.)
  94. Jul 5, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 (2012)

Mass Effect 3 ist ein Science Fiction/Action Rollenspiel. Es ist die Fortsetzung und der Abschluss der Mass Effect Trilogie. Wie bereits sein Vorgänger, basiert das Spiel auf der Unreal-Engine 3 und wurde ebenfalls von BioWare (Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age) entwickelt. Der Publisher ist Electroic Arts. Das Spiel wird wieder aus der dritten Person gesteuert, sodass
    Mass Effect 3 (2012)

Das Spiel wird wieder aus der dritten Person gesteuert, sodass man einen guten Überblick über das Schlachtfeld hat und die Gestaltung der Spielfigur direkt erkennen kann. Die Spieldauer beträgt ca. 40 Stunden.

Nachdem im ersten Teil ein abtrünniger Spectre (sowas wie Geheimpolizei mit unbeschränkten Befugnissen) namens Saren aufgehalten wurde, eine Reaper-Invasion zu initiieren (Reaper Maschinenvolk mit der Absicht alles Leben auszulöschen) und im zweiten Teil die Bedrohung der Kollektoren (von Reapern indoktrinierte Spezies) neutralisiert wurde, konnte es das Maschinenvolk nun doch schaffen in die Sonnensysteme der Völker der galaktischen Allianz einzudringen.

Als Commander Shepard sieht man nun erneut der Gefahr ins Auge, einer gewaltigen Übermacht gegenüber zu stehen, die alles einsetzten, um das Leben in der Galaxie auszulöschen.
    Zusammen mit altbekannten Charakteren aus Mass Effect 1, sind die Völker der Allianz zu vereinen um den Reapern eine finale Endschlacht zu bieten. Dabei trifft man des Öfteren auch auf alte Bekannte aus dem zweiten Teil der Trilogie, die einem Aufträge anbieten und Unterstützung im Kampf gegen die Reaper zusichern.

Durch die Möglichkeit Spielstände aus den vorher gespielten Teilen der Trilogie zu importieren, kann der Verlauf der Story sich ändern, da z.B. einige alte Crew-Mitglieder nicht überlebt haben oder Entscheidungen anders getroffen wurden als die Standardeinstellungen eines neuen Spielstandes es darstellen würden.

Das Spielgeschehen kann maßgeblich beeinflusst werden durch eine Vielzahl verschiedener Entscheidungsmöglichkeiten, die den Spieler stellenweise mit z.B. ethnischen und moralischen Fragen konfrontiert. Durch ein "Gesinnungssystem" kann man so zu einem rücksichtslosen Tyrannen oder aber zu einem hilfsbereiten Helden werden.
    Zusätzlich bietet das Spiel die Möglichkeit sowohl als männlicher als auch weiblicher Charakter das Geschehen zu erleben. Dies verändert ebenfalls das Verhalten der Crew-Mitglieder.
    Der Wiederspielwert des Spiels ist also enorm.

Durch weitere DLC's (Downloadable Content) erweitert sich die Story. Jedoch sind einige dieser Erweiterungen mit Kosten verbunden, bieten aber dementsprechend auch mehr Inhalt.

Alles in allem übertrifft dieses Spiel trotz Neuerungen im Kampfsystem nicht die Vorgänger, zieht jedoch auf Augenhöhe. Für Mass Effect Veteranen ein Muss. Science Fiction Liebhaber und Rollenspiel Fans werden auch voll auf ihre Kosten kommen.
  95. Jul 11, 2013
    This game, well, is the conclusion of an incredible journey. All the Bioware team made a great work, overall.

The game features great graphics and a captivating storytelling (even if the best one is in the second chapter IMHO). It is so fast paced that it can be exhausting at high difficulties. The finals, this time, are FINALS and even if they may leave you with disappointment (or tears, like my case) are original and EPIC.

Multiplayer is OK, but I would definitely exchange it for more "single player".

So, why nine? Actually, I would have liked to give a 8.5, but 9 is for the excellent references and the emotions I felt while playing. Anyway the game is a bit buggy now and then and some things seem to have been completed in a hurry. Anyway this won't ruin the experience at all.

Want the best experience? Buy all the trilogy and "grow up" your Shepard. For me has been the best non-real experience of my life till now.

Keelah se'lai!
  96. Jul 12, 2013
    After hearing a lot about how Mass Effect 3 fell short of Mass Effect 2, I came in expecting something totally different than it delivered and in the best way. Mass Effect 3 picks up a bit after the events of Mass Effect 2 concluded. Shepard has somehow got himself free from Cerberus and grounded on Earth by the Alliance. Mass Effect 3 shows how dark the series can get allowing for theAfter hearing a lot about how Mass Effect 3 fell short of Mass Effect 2, I came in expecting something totally different than it delivered and in the best way. Mass Effect 3 picks up a bit after the events of Mass Effect 2 concluded. Shepard has somehow got himself free from Cerberus and grounded on Earth by the Alliance. Mass Effect 3 shows how dark the series can get allowing for the series to end very strongly.

Gameplay: The game has updated its style, mainly when on a mission. The cover system has dramatically improved and both armor variation and the number of weapons has dramatically increased. The AI does get caught up quite a bit and this can lead to wasting a lot of medigel, but you can at least run over and help them up without the use of it. Most of the other mechanics of the game are the same, but missions now impact how ready your forces are to fight the reapers, which I thought was an excellent addition similar to that of Fable 3's, but much much better. There is also the improved scanning system where you just scan from the galaxy map, but in some systems this will alert the reapers.

Graphics: Mass Effect 3 has gotten a bit of a face lift allows for more detail in almost everything and it looks brilliant. While the graphics are not the best, I don't think I've seen such a beautiful Sci-fi RPG to date.

Story: The campaign takes Shepard to the far reaches of the galaxy, but sadly not all of it. I went on quite a few side missions and I never felt that I went as far as I could have. However, this is made up with some of the incredibly painful decisions you are forced to make. Most of those decisions are toward the end, but they will make you second guess yourself and even regret them. Then comes the infamous ending, which I thought was probably one of the most dramatic and depressing endings to a trilogy I have experienced. No spoilers, but if you were expecting a happily ever after, you will be disappointed and or surprised.

I'm not quite sure why this game has received such bad reviews, I have played the entire trilogy through and I feel that each game brought something new and exciting to the table and Mass Effect 3 was no exception. You will not find an experience equal to that of this trilogy and if you are on the fence as to whether or not to buy it, go buy it and enjoy the many hours of brilliance it will give you.
  97. Nov 24, 2014
    Where my interest int the first two of the series weren't strong, ME3 seemed to have that draw, that feel of combat and consequential decision making that I love so much. Any game that promotes choice and consequence is a winner in my books, and ME3 does that very well on many occasions. Whilst i've never been a fan of the combat systems in ME3, It does bode better then the first two. IfWhere my interest int the first two of the series weren't strong, ME3 seemed to have that draw, that feel of combat and consequential decision making that I love so much. Any game that promotes choice and consequence is a winner in my books, and ME3 does that very well on many occasions. Whilst i've never been a fan of the combat systems in ME3, It does bode better then the first two. If you were only going to pick up one game in the series, this is the one. Luckily, you do not need an extensive history lesson on ME lore to understand what is going on. Expand
  98. Aug 9, 2013
    4.8 as a user score just because the ending was disappointing. I can't believe people are saying the last 10 minutes ruined the entire game for them. I wonder what the user score would be if this game had a good ending. I'm glad Bioware released the Extended Cut; if they didn't my score would be a bit lower. This was a stellar sequel and all the ones and twos out of 10 are just immature.4.8 as a user score just because the ending was disappointing. I can't believe people are saying the last 10 minutes ruined the entire game for them. I wonder what the user score would be if this game had a good ending. I'm glad Bioware released the Extended Cut; if they didn't my score would be a bit lower. This was a stellar sequel and all the ones and twos out of 10 are just immature. As a long time gamer I'm used to disappointing endings; its a common weakness in video game storytelling. Nevertheless an amazing title on Bioware's part, it still gave us a stellar story and characters. So they incorporated more action and gameplay elements? Get over it. Video games aren't supposed to be interactive movies. Expand
  99. Jul 19, 2013
    2.9 Mass Effect games I played with the utmost fun. I absolutely love those games. I was astonished by their beauty in all aspects. After the last 0.1 of the last game I will probably never play them again within the next few years at the very least. I just can't bring myself to even install any of them, knowing how terribly bad it will end. Seriously there is no motivation to do anything2.9 Mass Effect games I played with the utmost fun. I absolutely love those games. I was astonished by their beauty in all aspects. After the last 0.1 of the last game I will probably never play them again within the next few years at the very least. I just can't bring myself to even install any of them, knowing how terribly bad it will end. Seriously there is no motivation to do anything anymore. Its as if you do something you believe to be worthwhile for years, and then you are told: "Oh sorry, but you know, no one needs it, so scram!"
    3 best games ruined with a single ending. Its a pity that the all so perfect Indoctrination theory didn't find place in a DLC.
  100. Aug 13, 2013
    EA ruined this master piece and it made to suck it fans money. The every singe chose you make gets you to a realy stupid ending and each of all doesn't matters a little bit. They didn't relise the whole game so they can suck the money of their fans and lought at them and them make a "DLC" to fix it and say that they made it for fans... what kind of a sick mind would ruin a great fanbase.EA ruined this master piece and it made to suck it fans money. The every singe chose you make gets you to a realy stupid ending and each of all doesn't matters a little bit. They didn't relise the whole game so they can suck the money of their fans and lought at them and them make a "DLC" to fix it and say that they made it for fans... what kind of a sick mind would ruin a great fanbase. I am not inculuded to this fanbase. The only reason I gave this 3 is that the action might be good enught for someplayers who doesn't goes and chack out the storyline... Expand

1. Apr 11, 2012