5.1

1. Mar 6, 2012
    Worse game of the series, not to mention Origin deepthroats flaccid donkey penis to the max. Do yourself a favour and avoid this garbage and the pos spyware EA wants to force you to install.
  2. Aug 24, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is an amazing game. Unlike popular opinion. The only gripe i have is of course the ending, purely because it's slightly behind par compared to the endings of other bioware games. But for me I view the game as a series of endings that tie off all the loose threads throughout the series. Which is something most people seem to have difficulty understanding. The gameplay is thoroughly enjoyable and the visual's are usually pretty good as well. Even the multiplayer is surprisingly great. One of the few multiplayers of recent games that I've enjoyed. Expand
  3. Mar 6, 2012
    Lots of fun, great game. The game has 3 settings; 1 for people wanting to play a shooter, 1 for traditional mass effect players, and 1 for people that don't want to deal with shooting. Be warned, this choice effects the rest of the game. There's no mandatory DLC, it's an optional character with no story outside the DLC.. just like Mass effect 2's DLC. Missing some PC features like text chat for the coop and controller support. It'd be nice if all the tweaking options weren't buried in an out of game configuration tool, but if you'd played a BioWare game, you know what to do with it. Expand
  4. Mar 6, 2012
    Everything that was right in Mass Effect 1 has vanished in Mass Effect 3. This series is no longer an RPG with Third-person shooter elements. This game is a really ban gears of war clone with horrible animations, terrible textures and cringeworthy dialogue.

Also, Day 1 DLC should be frowned upon by everyone. It is absolutly unacceptable in this day and age.
  5. Mar 6, 2012
    Reddit trolls need to **** off seriously. Its not that bad of a game, but yeah it does not deserve the high praise it has quickly received. Animations are shoddy at times, the characters are boring but I enjoyed the story (though not the ending, bit pathetic to be honest, hope there is not a fourth). The gameplay too was as enjoyable as the second but still not matching the first.

Better
    than 2 but still not coming to as good as the first. Expand
  6. May 14, 2012
    I'm going to be very blunt about this situation. The only reason this game is receiving low user scores is because your average joe simply isn't smart enough to understand the point of the story. SPOILER AHEAD:

The Reapers are a sentient lifeform created long ago to wipe out & harvest every race in "cycles". At the end of each cycle, The Reapers come and destroy all natural life, except
    what is needed to re-populate each species. They were created in the hope that eventually the cycles would condition the various races of the galaxy to work together and be able to safely evolve / co-exist without supervision. At the end of Mass Effect 3, Shepard has proved that the races can co-exist independently without interference. The Reapers will never return. Expand
  7. Mar 18, 2012
    I absolutely loved the game, felt emotionally attached to all my characters and couldn't wait to see how my favorite gaming series of the last decade would be concluded... Now I wish I had stopped ten minutes before I did.

The ending has completely ruined the experience for me, not only for ME3, but also the first two games. It's impossibly difficult to invest in a game you know will
    leave you an empty and broken husk at the end.

As someone so bluntly put it in a forum post: It's like eating a magnificent three-course dinner, only to be served fecal matter for dessert, forcing your body to expunge it all at a lethal velocity. No matter how good the rest of the meal tasted, you'll leave on an empty stomach and with a terrible taste in your mouth. I wish this wasn't true. I really do.
  8. Mar 13, 2012
    Completely killed the entire series with only three extremely poor and stupid ending choices. It doesn't matter what you do in this game of any previous games because they mean absolutely nothing.
  9. Jul 5, 2012
    The main problem of this game has to be the fact that they left out Drew Karpishyn, the guy who wrote the first two games, I knew right from the beginning, that it didn't feel right, wen I figured out EA put their dirty little hands on everything mass effect, That was the end of it. I invested to much time and money on the series, only for it to be sabotaged by EA and their minions. I loved the mass effect universe, it got me through tough times, it meant a lot to me, I know that sounds gay but its true, The first two games hit the right buttons for me.

But now I feel worse. The extended cut was the nail on the coffin, and now some **** is already laying out the plans for a mass effect MMO. Extended cut.... More like extended disappointment.. Thats my two cents anyways...
  10. Jul 24, 2012
    the removal of neutral dialogue options was a huge disappointment for me, as I enjoy playing these games as a mixed paragon/renegade as opposed to going 100% for one or the other. What I loved about the previous games was that you could go full renegade, get an ending that was totally suited to your decisions, and it was a perfectly acceptable way to play. Being renegade wasn't "bad", it was just a different way to get things done. Neutral and paragon were simply other, equally viable ways to finish a game and experience it differently.

But in mass effect 3, that all changes. Renegade becomes very much an option that the developers punish you for choosing, while paragon becomes the obvious "correct choice" option, and neither of the better outcomes to major situations are available if you mix paragon and renegade. You will also be punished for playing the game as a neutral character; you either go 100% renegade or 100% paragon.

But in the end all of that is meaningless, because no matter what paths you chose earlier in the game, you will be shunted into the same 3 choices of endings
  11. Mar 18, 2012
    Probably the worst ending to a video game series I've ever seen. What happens in the last 15 or so minutes completely contradicts the previous ~150 hours of gameplay for all three games.
  12. Mar 6, 2012
    I came expecting the continuation of the world of Commander Shepard and his battle against the Reapers. What I got was "Kill Everyone : The Movie"
    The gameplay (What should be a major factor in any game, "RPG" or not) was severely lacking, feeling like contemporary shooter #8153. The animations looked like some kid's first Garry's Mod video. And the ending, the ending is just plain bad. I
    hoped Bioware would make ME3 the best one of the trilogy, but this has to be the worse of the 3. Expand
  13. Mar 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Mass Effect series had been my favorite video games, bar none. As someone playing it from the beginning, I was an avid supporter and introduced the game to numerous friends and family but the ending has ruined the game for me. Taking my time, I picked every perfect choice and at the end I was left with 3 endings all of which made the character I had developed worthless. Was I able to save the galaxy? Yes. However, it was at the cost of a character and relationships which I had become deeply entwined in for the previous 4 years. Though the content pre-ending was good, the terrible ending which Bioware forced on the players makes me wish I had never played the game to begin with. Perhaps it's silly to care so much but I played an enriched game which allowed the players to really learn to love characters who, at the end of my game, were dead, stranded, or abandoned. Thanks for nothing Bioware... Expand
  14. Mar 6, 2012
    There was been a lot of negative reaction about the three gameplay modes implemented in this installment, while I find the RPG mode just as the usual Mass Effect while the Action mode is more straightforward and just goes for a predetermined outcome most of the time, but Story Mode is not even what we expected, for one it is not even as Hepler's critics thought, you have to actually fight your way through the game BUT the difficulty is dumbed down to the point of having no inmersion or sense of urgency, if you want to see how the story goes you are better off watching someone else play it on You Tube, otherwise you will be bothered by gameplay a lot.

The Story is what you could expect and let's leave it at that, the ending was too predictable and as always you can expect another sequel, the "diversity" stuff has been criticized but that's for whoever wants to play it that way, nothing breath taking, more akin to a typical fanfiction.

For an action game it is an OK game, for an RPG is below average.
  15. Mar 21, 2012
    yea its not worth a 1 but more like a 5 or soo but im still giving it a 1 to prove a point. Where to begin?, once again a **** console port, thats a lot bioware. On my way to the end i had 2 game stoping bugs, one with the dlc that wouldnt let me watch videos and another one with the main game that required a reboot. Also sound and video would bugg out at times, In the end this is a fairly shallow rail shooter with a ok story, great production values, and a horrible ending.

Thumbs up for the multi player tho, almost the best part of the game. short and shallow as it is.
  16. Mar 7, 2012
    The game is very disappointing. They removed the planet and resources exploration, almost no dynamic dialogs (most of the game if cut scene dialogue), removed completely the RPG from the game..
    A bad way to end a trilogy. Mass Effect 2 was the best in the series because it mixed RPG and action TPS but now with Mass Effect 3, it remains only Action TPS and that's sucks!!
  17. Apr 25, 2012
    Ahhhh sad... i'm sad. The 1 was great, the 2 good... And that 3 is just average... Not bad, mainly because we love the caracteres. We are attached with them. Some scenes are still great, as a nice space opera.
    But that game is far poorer than the two others. It is very contemplative game... Like a story we read, but not as a good video game should be.
    I don't complaint against the ends. I
    can understand them and I accept the dev's choice.

It's hard finishing such trilogy like that...
  18. Mar 6, 2012
    Terrible game. Graphics are horrible, lip syncing is way off, story is predictable, textures are awful, combat is boring. This game is not RPG, its Action. Do not buy it!
  19. Mar 10, 2012
    The game itself is good, but the ending is killing all the impression of her. The worst ending in the game. Please BIOWARE! Change it, do not wear the universe MASS EFFECT!
  20. Apr 19, 2012
    A great journey....until you hit the ending. I thought the game was great in almost every way. There was just two issues I found with game. 1. The Journal. Its a mess....it literally is just a big list that never updates itself so you can find yourself questioning where you got to on the side missions.

2. The major issue with the game was the ending. The story was well constructed and I
    was impressed with all the chapters up to but not including the ending. The space casper/deus ex mechanic was an odd choice and while it wasnt the 16 endings Bioware promised I would of accepted it had it not been for the gaping plot holes that riddled the ending, which in turn just made the ending look and feel sloppy. For someone who is really impressed with the universe/franchise they created it really killed my desire to play it again which is in stark contrast to the amount of times I replayed ME1 and ME 2.

I wish Bioware all the best for the future but Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3 has taught me to be more cautious about accepting what Bioware promises in the future.
  21. Apr 11, 2012
    Wow, Bioware turned my favorite RPG series of all time down to a Gears-of-War-type sci-fi shooter. I'll admit, the combat is 100% better. But Bioware has changed the formula from what made us all love the first two Mass Effect games. The conversations with NPCs were the best part of the first two games -- now they aren't much more than cutscenes. In Mass Effect 3, instead of feeling like you are actually conversing with NPCs, you merely watch Shepard talking to them. Its so frustrating to see "my" Shepard get turned into a cookie-cutter gaming action hero. You get a couple of options every now and then, which I'm not sure even cause differences in the dialog. Contrast this to the first two games, where Shepard didn't say anything without you telling him what to say, and those conversation choices made it feel like you were actually making a difference. Bioware tries really hard to make every cutscene (of which there are way too many) super epic and emotional. It turns out most are just really corny. Its a lot like Gears of War, which I enjoyed. But I'm not looking for Gears of War here, I'm looking for Mass Effect!

It makes me really sad that somehow, Bioware just isn't the studio they used to be. I feel like they are trying to just appease 8 year olds that just want to play to blow things up.

I makes me more sad that I can't REALLY continue the amazing experience that was Mass Effect 2. Its their same Dragon Age II mistake, all over again.
  22. Mar 11, 2012
    Best game of the series, right up until the "push a button' ending. I still loved it, but God is that ending frustrating. It's like the end "Under The Dome" but even more frustrating. Buy it, just don't finish it.
  23. Mar 8, 2012
    The other reviews all giving this P.O.S. negative reviews all cover the points pretty well so i dont feel the need to make a long diatribe asto why this game eats crap. The fact that the paid reviewers rate it so high makes me want to vomit. Aside from the whole gay thing (and being gay is pretty common these days.. if you own an apple product you ARE gay and probably in denial) the game is short as **** but what do you expect when they make a 1/2 assed single player game and a 1/2 assed multiplayer game. Mind you i never liked the first mass effect and HATED the fact that they took the 1 enjoyable thing (the mako) out of the second game. When will the idiot masses learn that bioware doesnt exist anymore, they are EA and as such they release more DLC than they do game. PLEASE for the love of god do not buy this game and if you already did DO NOT buy any DLC, if you do you are essentially saying " i am all for paying too much for ****ty games and than paying even more for content that should have been in the game to begin with.", which makes you an idiot. I wouldnt mind releasing a game and then an expansion like in the old days, but **** no frills gaming. Expand
  24. Mar 9, 2012
    I thought the game was enjoyable, the gameplay is fun, and the graphics are good. With that being said, ME3 is nothing close to the game that ME2 & ME1 were. There is a feeling of inevitability throughout the course of the game, it is far too linear. The endings are the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced in any game that I've ever played. I got the "perfect" ending, and it still left me feeling queasy.

There are only 3 reasons I give the game a positive rating at all:

1. The universe/storyline that Mass Effect is set in is so great that even screwing it up it is still solid. 2. The length of the game is about perfect, I hate games that are too short, and this isn't one of them.
    3. The "final battle" is great, it was very intense, and I was about to forgive all of this game's failings after it (until I got to the crappy endings).

Also, in spite of the complaining, the Multi-Player is actually very fun.
  25. Mar 6, 2012
    Its a plataform game, and for PC dont have controller support, this is ridiculus....Wrong move bioware!
    So simple dont u think?Put some support for xbox controller, why this dont have?Strange...
  26. Jul 18, 2012
    Mass Effect 3 is the brilliant conclusion to the popular series. Do not listen to these bad reviews, the game was brilliant. I found the endings really good, they fitted the 'Mass Effect' spirit and made a stunning conclusion. I think a lot of people wanted a 'Shepard defeats the reapers and lives happily ever after" kind of ending. But then they would force Bioware for a Mass Effect 4 (something Bioware didn't want to do)

Brilliant game, brilliant ending. 9/10
  27. Mar 7, 2012
    I loved Mass Effect
    I adored Mass Effect 2
    I truly and utterly despise Mass Effect 3. EA and Bioware basically killed one of the best gaming title of the past 10 years with this last installment. It's boring and blatant, it tries to act like an FPS game, it's overly simplified, it's ugly, it's story is nowhere comperable to the previous ones, it forces gay romances down your throat, it's
    too easy even on insanity, it's...it's just BAD. And this comes from a gamer who even bought ME2 Collectors Edition because of how much I loved these games.

I strongly suggest not buying this game, Boycott Bioware, BOYCOTT EA, do anything that you can to make them realize this is not what we wanted.

This is a sad time for gaming.
  28. Mar 12, 2012
    This game is fantastic from start to finish. The graphics are much better then Mass Effect 2. And don't believe reviews that say the game has been dumbed down from the first one. The first one was terrible. You have full control in this one and they give you those options to play with a more RPG style. It may not be the most traditional RPG but who wants to play Final Fantasy anymore? I mean really. This game is innovative, new, different. I have not found any plot holes. Please explain your self people. The plot is very straight forward if you don't understand it there is a good chance you are dumb. Just buy the game and don't listen to the haters on this forum. Angry nerds. OMG gay people in my game. Who cares? OMG I have to pay 10 bucks for an extra mission... Again who cares? Pay 10 bucks if you want it. If not don't the mission is not essential to the story like all these reviews are saying. Expand
  29. Mar 24, 2012
    Played several times ME1 and ME2, to get a varied experience and it worked in those games, even if I knew how the game played out, ME3 not so much, Game play is very familiar and improved with the combat rolls and powerful imported characters(you get EXP bonuses for imported characters, a nice reward), conversations seem less trite and can be very humorous or candid, but the characters themselves seemed boring even my old friends seemed boring this time. The pacing is good, but the Citidel "Go Fetch" sidequests are really silly, but you want to do them for money and EXP of course but they aren't fun, and for some reason you can miss the conversation completely as there is no cursor it appears in your Journal after you ran by that person, quirky, Story progress under the Reaper darkness gathering forces for the end, Normandy is completely overhauled in Alliance spartan them, gone is the bright clean Cerberus Normandy, although its the same ship. Sound is incredible, Gameplay very good, Story Above Average, Graphics on PC nice but need more settings, Input controls, you know the PC has more than 5 buttons right? apparently BIOWARE forgot, no vehicles to drive around, was hoping to get a MAKO, not that hovercraft tho, DAY 1 DLC for an important story crewmember, not cool at all, RPG elements like building your powers, weapons and armor are very good and I like how the loadout affects your power charging times, but still can't equip other members or your squad how you like, they still specialize in two weapons. Some great new Characters, Loved James, big musclehead Marine, great battlebuddy. ENDING>>>>>>>>>>>>OMG>>>>>>>what your hearing is true, the ending is truly Bazaar, its hard to explain, doesn't matter what choices you make or have made, its Bazaar. Leaves you feeling empty at the end. I love ME series but gotta score it how it made me feel at the end, 90% of the game is pretty good, although Cerberus totally whacking out was hard to swallow too. buy it if your a Sheperd Fan but you too will be singing the Sheperd blues in the end. Collapse
  30. May 7, 2012
    Every person should have been taught at one point that you don't make promises you can't keep. But the moneygrubbing at it's finest gives you an imcomplete story and experience
  31. i59
    Mar 6, 2012
    Along with most other EA franchises, Mass Effect has been utterly raped by idiotic decisions i.e. having to pay to get better endings, not being on Steam etc.
  32. Mar 20, 2012
    And finally came the continuation of one (and for me, best) role-playing game series. Well, I did not know what to expect, the final battle can transform the game from a rp to normal shooter which can upset fans. The game was not quite as easier and shows things as good as in the previous section to this was added to the enormity of interesting things and refreshed a few. But this is not the same as the previous parts and does not include the quality of a shock or anything like that. My increased rating - 9/10 Expand
  33. Mar 8, 2012
    I can't believe "news" sites are saying ME3 is hated because of homophobic gamers.This is just the EA/Bioware propaganda talking, hiding behind a homophobia accusation when in fact this game is absolutely horrible.Everything is recycled content, graphics are worse, boring story, boring gameplay and yes boring sexual relationship.The great majority of gamers hate how sexuality is presented in this game because it's stereotypical, boring and forced down our throat, there have been plenty of gay characters in games before and nobody cared, It isn't about that, it's about turning a game into a political platform and making us pay for it by falsely hypeing it up.We knew there was going to be gay romance and nobody cared, what we didn't know was that the game was going to **** this much. Expand
  34. Mar 15, 2012
    I am a fan of the ME series. I've been playing with involving my self into the game and choosing the actions as I think i would choose in situations presented in the game. I've never had this feeling of being emotionally connected with the game and with the characters in game. I've felt like part of the world and each actions were sometimes very emotional for me. I cared about my friends, I've tried to do the be myself in the game. I felt real emotions and that was beautiful from the first ME to the last. Amazing game with amazing epic story, incredible characters and design the best sci-fi game EVER! But why then I gave 7/10 but not 10/10? Because of ending witch is just terrible. It is hard to describe what i feel without spoilers so I will leave this topic. I feel like we deserve something else. Or do they have room for new DLC's? I hope not and that someone will explain the ending. Expand
  35. Mar 28, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 takes all of the plot pieces in the previous two games and delivers on a massive scale. The first thing you see is Shepard being put on trial for the events between the previous games. Just as the council get going on their debate, the Reapers launch an assault on the Earth, destroying a large portion of it. Shepard literally has to fight his way off the Earth, getting through some Reaper forces and just trying not to get hit by gigantic lasers and all the explosions which are occuring everywhere.

Once you leave Earth, you have to try to get the support of the alien races to prepare against the Reapers. Unfortunately, the Reapers have already started attacking Palaven, the Turian homeworld and Tuchanka, the Krogan homeworld. You have to get the Krogans on your side for the Turians to help. Later on you’ll be attempting to gain the support of the Salarians, Asari and Quarians.

There really is a feeling of tension and excitement that the other games didn’t have. For once, the enemy is a large opposing force and the whole galaxy is feeling it’s effects. The war is happening on three fronts. There are the main attack force of the Reapers, which utilise other alien races in their army, such as the Turian-style Marauders and the Asari-style Banshees. Then there are the Cerberus troopers, which are being led by the Illusive Man and are attacking colonies for an unknown reason. On a lesser front you also have the heretic Geth, which are attempting to keep the Perseus Veil under control.

In most single-player missions you’ll be darting in and out of cover, attempting to pick off enemy forces. The overall intelligence of the enemies in this game has improved dramatically. Different units protect themselves in different ways. For instance, the Nemesis uses a sniper rifle to deal large amounts of damage, while the Phantom attempts to defeat targets instantly with it’s sword. When put together this is a deadly combination. There are also enemies that utilise smoke grenades, shields, turrets and more. Fighting is hectic and tense, using squadmates powers is recommended.

You have a total of six squadmates in the main storymode and an additional squadmate exclusive in the extra Downloadable Content mission. While there are overall less squadmates than Mass Effect 2, the relationships between them and the character are more pronounced. Between missions characters will move around the ship, get into discussions and think about certain things. In the Citadel, each squad member goes to a different place, where they can talk with the player.

Commander Shepard is the player character (which can be Male or Female), who is tasked with making lots of choices. Some of the choices are very difficult and will require the player to think forward. The choices made in Mass Effect 1 and 2 will dramatically affect the story. Such as how you dealt with the Rachni Queen or if you saved Maelon’s data on the genophage cure. You have a total of six classes, each with different unique skills and strategies which apply to it.

For each additional form of support gained in single-player, you will gain another War Asset, with a numerical value. These values effect the strength of the forces attacking the Reapers, determining the overall success of the final attack.

Mass Effect 3 is a fantastic game and a definitive Sci-Fi experience. Fans of the series will not be disappointed.
  36. Mar 12, 2012
    You probably think that most of the people on here are just bombing the score, or tolling. But, go play Mass Effect 1 and 2 and then play 3 and I try to come back here and give this a good review. The endings alone are enough of a complaint to warrant outrage
  37. Apr 6, 2012
    I think Mass Effect 3 is a good game overall. It could use more filler content and more creativity/variety with the ending, but the game is decent. All these people complaining about the ending and rating the game extremely low still played through the entire game to see the ending. If a game is bad enough for me to rate below a 5 I'm definitely not going to be finishing it. I like the addition of multiplayer as well. It could use some different game modes, more maps and general variety, but it's fun as is for a while at least. Expand
  38. Mar 18, 2012
    I'm going to say from the beginning the story sucks there was basically no writing involved especially with the endings being as bad as they were. However if you are like me and gave up on Bioware writing a good story like I did years ago. Then you will at least enjoy the gameplay of this game. The game is FUN. the story sucks but it's funny and I'm glad that Bioware had some of the funniest dialogue I've heard in a game. But like I said the game is fun story sucks. Expand
  39. Mar 7, 2012
    It is day two and there are already 560 negative reviews. Agreed that this game has its flaws, but at LEAST play the game all the way through ONCE before completely trashing it. I have a feeling that 90% of these reviewers never even finished the game, or even got through the first act. I haven't finished either, but from I've played it deserves at least an 8. Oh and btw for you homophobes, bioware had homosexual relationships back in ME1, remember? So I don't know what the big deal is with this game. Next time you go to post here, please at least beat the game ONCE before destroying, because all you're doing by posting "reviews" on DAY 1 is making yourself look like a tool. Expand
  40. Mar 9, 2012
    That's not what I was expecting. First ME was a great game - action RPG. You could feel, that you're Shepard. ME2 - epic game but it lost a bit spirit. ME3 - it is still epic but I feel that it's only a game. Not a film nor RPG. It lost everything that was most important in ME.
  41. Mar 14, 2012
    I get where people are coming from with the hate, but it's not about the ending, it's about the journey. And as a game ME3 is a really one thing apart. The missions are varied, the characters are (once again) solid. There are really memorable missions, and some moments that would evoke some man-tears. Bioware manages to create some epic scenes, which surpasses everything you've seen in ME2. (The battle for the Citadel was still the best moment in the entire series in my opinion.)

If you loved ME1, and liked ME2, you surely will enjoy at least ME3.
    The ending is probably entirely different from what you might expect; it lacks closure. Yes, there are some plotholes in the final hour of the game. But it's still a solid gold game. The characters I've grown fond of my not have said their goodbyes to me in a way i would like, and in the end, all your choices don't really matter to anyone, except for when ME4 comes out.
  42. Mar 11, 2012
    All in all a decent game, nothing special. Good voice acting, decent graphics/sound, memorable charcarters (good and bad) and a somewhat thought through story. I dont get the why people are so angry about the endings? Yeah they arent happy, with kittens on the top, but so what? I would rate this game at 6, but since Lance Henriksen is thrown into the mix.... I cant help it: 8 points to Mr. Bishop.
  43. Mar 10, 2012
    Turtle-paced game development, extremely shoddy combat, etc...

This game is bad.
  44. Jul 23, 2012
    A great finish to a great story. This is indeed a series worth playing through from top-to-bottom. It's pathetic, truly pathetic, that this game has gotten such a low user score here at Metacritc. Seeing Mass Effect 3 in the "4" point range is enough to make anybody who has played and enjoyed the game as thoroughly as most people have avoid places like Metacritic for information altogether. Games get "4'"s because they were rushed, crappy, or broken, and ME3 is none of these. It is a solid conclusion to a remarkable and already classic series of games. A definite videogame highlight of 2011. If you've never played the series at all, start with part 1 and move your way on through. This is good sci-fi in a big-budget, impeccably-crafted RPG game. Expand
  45. Mar 6, 2012
    I bought Mass Effect 1 on release, and it was great. I rented Mass Effect 2 and it was a bit of a letdown, but I still got some enjoyment out of it. I decided to try this even after all of the horrible things I have heard about it. This game is just a huge disappointment. Wonky controls, texture and graphical issues, retarded dialogue, and (oh boy) super politically correct gay sex scenes. Not to mention the ending is a huge copout. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this game. Expand
  46. Mar 16, 2012
    Great game, The story is the main focus and it's amazing. The endings could have been a bit better but it's still really good. Amazing and enjoyable combat, Great 3rd person shooting, Awesome weapons, and well done cover system. The graphics look fantastic but it has some glitches. The sound effects and the voice actings are amazing. It's one of the main reasons that makes you care for each character. Great game. Recommended for everyone. But it's better if you play the first 2 before this one. Expand
  47. Apr 8, 2012
    Bad graphics for the PC, maybe worse than ME2, but that didn't bother me. You all know what's really wrong... the ending. Great game until the end, but then, like a friend of mine said, WTF?
    Seriously, fix the ending Bioware or else you are never, ever going to get a dime from me again.
  48. Nov 12, 2012
    Felt really unfair that I don't get all dialog/story options because I didn't import a character from ME2. This is a very poor game design because I actually played both ME and ME2, but I didn't keep the game saves. Without the saves, ME3 makes many assumptions that didn't match with my personal experience from previous games. It gives me limited dialog choices and event outcomes. I had to act out of characters in several occasions. It's one thing to enhance experience using previous game saves, but to require it to unlock main event outcomes is a very very very poor game design. Could just prompt for more background info if the player didn't have a game save. Expand
  49. Mar 13, 2012
    Why is everyone giving this game terrible scores based on the ending alone? these people really don't deserve to use Metacritic if they're just going to abuse it like children. I honestly thought the game was fantastic throughout, and although i wasn't completely satisfied with the ending, i thought it was a very interesting and unique way to end the series. If that's what they were still planning on doing with this game. that being said, im still not sure which one i like the most out of the series. while the last game was great, this one has so much more life to it. the characters, your squadmates, they feel real to interact with. i remember in the last game, each one would simply stay in their designated areas, not moving, and only talking to you when you engaged in a conversation. now they all do there own thing. they interact with the other characters and there environment even while your not around. they even leave the ship with you when you go to the citidel to explore it for themselves. this also carrys over into combat as well, infact combat is so much more improved than the last game, it makes the last two feel sad in comparison. you can now perform many new maneuvers, and the cover system is greatly improved. the enemies are also much smarter and will now even work out ways to flank you and split your squad up. probably my favorite part about mass effect 3, is the story, obviously. everything is written so well, and is so believable, it makes me wonder how they got the game finnished, even by the date it was released. i mean yes, there are a lot of bugs, but when the game is such a large scale, you come to expect them. although i still wish they would have checked the game more thoroughly. i also keep hearing people complain about the romance options almost as much as the ending which is strange because it really isnt that different from the last 2 titles in the series. but im really not very sure of how its changed, because i didnt actually romance anyone in my first playthrough. it was an accident, somehow. Expand
  50. Mar 6, 2012
    I wanted an epic conclusion to the previous two games that brought the full weight of my choices to bear in a glorious ending involving the previously lampshaded themes of entropy. The ending I got instead simply didn't fit, it was a hybrid of the endings from Deus Ex and Toppa Tengen Gurren Lagann, and somehow still failed to be compelling.

The only "positive" aspect of the game that
    they could think of to market being gay romance. As a heterosexual, I don't care about gay romance, and as a gamer I care very little about romance as a sub-plot in the first place.

Additionally, the visuals and gameplay are both substantially worsened from the previous two games.
  51. Aug 22, 2012
    The Mass Effect series contains some of the best character writing in video games, period. You will never feel so close to and feel so deeply about NPCs in any other game. The hatred expressed on this site is a kind of perverse testament to that---people cared so deeply about the game that they are willing to troll because the ending hurt their feelings. But do not make the same mistake: the ending will make you sad and maybe angry, not because of bad writing, but because it is so unconventional and involves so much loss.

The number of onboard conversations with the crew has exploded since ME2, and I would say the dialogues are the best of the series, save except for the amazing Lair of the Shadow Broker DLC for ME2, whose excellence was not topped in ME3. There were a few too many corny references to famous lines from ME2 such as "calibrations" and "definitely worth it" that slowed down the dialogue at times.

The gameplay is a slight tweak and improvement on the ME2 experience. I would say that I am about done with the ME style of gameplay---spamming singularity+warp combinations has definitely gotten too old by the end of the game. There is much gnashing of teeth in the endgame on Insanity, but well worth it.

Well done, Bioware---I hope that you keep true to yourself and don't bend too much to the rage expressed here and elsewhere.
  52. Mar 7, 2012
    I really had a lot of fun on Mass Effect. I loved Mass Effect 1, maybe even more on the sequel, but I was generally disappointed on this game. I expected the fun of the first 2 and the great writing, but the story was meh and the gameplay was not as good as the other two. This lived way below the hype of the other 2. Also, DLC on the first day? Really, Bioware? Either the DLC is part of the game, or the DLC is released weeks after. Expand
  53. Mar 6, 2012
    Very good game that is a nice improvement over ME2. Takes the best parts of ME1 and ME2 and then adds some of its own things also. This is a much darker Mass Effect game here, the atmosphere is also awesome. Story is well done of course and the characters are very well done. You learn to really care for these characters. Do yourself a favor and play Mass Effect 1 and then Mass Effect 2 and then get ready for the best game of the series in ME3! I did not think this could be as good as ME1 or better, but it is! Fantastic job Bioware!

Day one DLC sucks and there are some bugs but overall its a near perfect story driven third person shooter with some rpg elements sprinkled on top.

Biowares best game since Dragon Age Origins!
  54. Mar 7, 2012
    All these comments seem like a bad flash-mob and nothing more.
    I've played about 10 hours so far, but I've shed tears twice already. No other game affected me so much. Awful animations? Bad plot? Oh come on!!!
  55. Jun 16, 2012
    This series is an epic masterpiece, like what Star Wars should have been.

Ignore the haters -- the ending is odd and disappointing, but these people are just freaking out. Probably the same people who do the hate-fest with the whole COD vs BF3 idiocy.
  56. Mar 8, 2012
    This is atrocity. 1. DLC 'From ashes' already on the disc of collector's edition at least.
    2. Problems with new facial system. I bought 2 collector's editions of Mass Effect 1 and 2. I lived with my character for 4 years already. And now what? I just have to wait for BioWare doing their job correctly? 2 years of development and this is how you treat paying customers?

Arts for making the BioWare company it is today. Great games, great crappy performance, great greed.

Lights out.
  57. Apr 5, 2012
    Why, oh why did this game get good reviews? It's very poorly done compared to the first two (I was a big fan of the first one, and the second one was okay.) This newest addition to the mass effect series is beyond flaws with not-so-flowing storyline, poor animation, and poorly optimized for the pc. To make matters worse, the storyline is full of holes as well, with parts becoming inconsistent or unnecessary. I am a fan of Bioware, but this is by far the worst game I've ever seen them put out. Nice job, guys, you wasted my money. I truly say do not bother with this one, it will only ruin the series for you. Go play the first one. Expand
  58. Apr 3, 2012
    Terrible game, ridiculously mind-numbingly BORING...the last squeeze from a exhausted cash cow who's moments are long past the ole' family farm. You'll ask yourself while playing "wow? are people actually buying this slop?" The answer is EA games...they don't make games, they make deadlines! and they **** over everyone else in the moneygrubbing process. Too many business degrees who never played games now trying to sell them.... I don't even recommend the pirated version of this game ...it's that bad. Expand
  59. Mar 12, 2012
    O jogo é sensacional. História original e interessante. Não é para qualquer um gostar e entender Mass Effect. Apenas para os fortes. Indico. podem comprar que vale a pena
  60. Dec 23, 2012
    I bought this game since I've played through both ME1 and ME2. After reading a lot of bad reviews, I didn't play it until recently. I have to say, after finishing it I don't understand why it has gotten so many bad user reviews. Sure, it could have been a lot better in many ways, but the game is fun to play and offers many hours of entertainment. I'm also positively surprised as to how fun the multiplayer is. If you haven't bought the game already, it's well worth the money. Don't rush through the game, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it as well; It's not all about how good/bad the ending is (the way it is done was actually a bit disappointing). Don't forget to try out multiplayer. Expand
  61. Mar 21, 2012
    Bioware has once again provided a excelent game with mass effect 3. From the amazing storyline, to the perfected shooter experience, the new customizable weapons, and the multiplayer that to be honest i was a little worried about they have came through once again and provided a great game that I would recommend to anyone.
  62. Mar 7, 2012
    After finishing the game I feel conflicted. On one hand I enjoyed the action and the storyline in this game a lot, even though the baddies seemed to have been de-clawed in this game. The choices I had to make also felt difficult at times, which is always a sign of a good role playing game. On the other hand I also had many issues with this game as well. The animation is sub-par at best with many weird glitches, the textures are low-res and the ridiculously poorly executed and failed attempt at a Tear Jerker during the opening moments of the game felt way too forced. All this I can overlook...However, the number 1 reason I rate this game as a 5 instead of a 9 is how the game's ending(s) pretty much invalidates every choice you've made during the course of the series. There is no resolution for Shepard, not for his team, no answers for minor details like "WHAT HAPPENED TO THAT RACE BECAUSE OF MY GALAXY ALTERING DECISION?" and absolutely no sense of accomplishment after the ending but rather a dumbfounded feeling of "That's it?". Lackluster, Bioware. Expand
  63. Jul 15, 2012
    Despite an anemic ending (mostly corrected by free DLC), still very worth a purchase. The story is still strong, characters well written, and multiplayer very fun. Definitely worth a pick up.
  64. Mar 13, 2012
    After reading some quotes from former Bioware employees and the lecture of some articles on kotaku and Destructoid, calling us, fans, ignorants or comparing this whole situation to "Misery", I feel totally overwhelmed by the level of hypocrisy and meanness. It's funny how some ppl and sites are now mercilessly mocking us like some bunch of immature dorks, but at the same time, while trying to convince us to devs products, their journalists are such a friendly buddies of ours (hey look, it's your old pal!).

Remember 'The Balloon Edition'? Oh my, how fun it was - climb a tree for your very own copy of ME3! Or that interview performed like in-game dialogue? Oh my, oh my!

But you know what? Now that you bought the game, we do not fu*k around with you anymore. NOW better run and crawl under your rock or we gonna get you. For real, not for fun. Seriously.

We are artists and we do our games AS WE LIKE, for us, not for you, and we owe you nothing. YOU owe us money if you want to play. That's our deal, got it?

All this remindes me of black humour as pictured in the Fallout universe; cheerful advertisements with some skeletons hanging around.

Do you really not see, that we - fans and devs - are two sides of the same coin? Ask yourself, for example, what would become of the Star Wars franchise without its fansbase; without all those crazy ppl, capable even of making their own SW movies? It would be forgotten dozens of years ago, not gaining even a slim % of its current profits.

WE are your fanbase Bioware. We praised your products, we were defending you if anyone called your games a crap. Youtube is full of our uploads, image hosts and Deviantart full of our mems and graphic. We supported you not only with our wallets, but also with our passion and enthusiasm. It's because of us "bosh'tet" or "I'm commander Shepard and this is my favourite shop in the galaxy" became a part of pop culture.

We are not raging because there is no happy ending like wedding cutscene with little blue kids and rainbow in the sky, or because OMG SHEPARD DIES!!!!111; it was quite obvious for us that you can't defat such an enemy as Reapers without losses. It is war after all, quite hopeless what's more. We are raging, because the end of our beloved series, that we were attached to for years, makes no goddamn, fu*ckin, sense! Moreover, it does not constitute - in any way - an answer to any of our efforts from all of the 3 games. In other words, we feel like we were just left with fist full of sh*t.

So it's really so hard to understand that we are pissed?

Let me quote mirracle of sound, performers of the famous "Commander Shepard" song:

The Mass Effect fans are't acting entitled. They aren't asking for the ending they deserve, they're asking for one Mass Effect
  65. Mar 13, 2012
    Is there some sort of smear campaign going on here? This game is way better than it's current user score of 3.5. I've played about 7 hours of this game, and so far it seems every bit as solid as ME2 (and, as ME2, better than ME1). In fact, in some ways it's better - improved voice acting, better musical score (Clint Mansell owns Jack Wall - seriously), better combat, and the cutscenes are more fun to watch. There are a few minor bugs and glitches - but not enough to ruin the experience, and I'm sure they'll be fixed soon. Expand
  66. Apr 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Honestly in this game, everything good they add they add something terrible to even it out. The biggest improvement, by far, is the gameplay. They added tons of new weapons, rolling in cover, and to make Trench-Warfare a bit easier, quick-killing(grabbing). The singleplayer isn't as monotonous, in Mass Effect 2 it was recruiting and helping squad mates with the occasional mission against the collectors. However, the squadmates are a let down. Javik and James are the only new ones that haven't been seen before(forgive me if I'm wrong). Garrus, Tali,Liara, and Javik are the only alien squad mates, and there's no Drell or Salarian squad mates, much to my dismay. The graphics and animations are pretty much the same, if not slightly better. You can still upload from Mass Effect 2, so you aren't starting from scratch. For the ending, I am quite furious about it. Anderson is a fixed death (alongside other Mass Effect 2 squadmates like Legion and Thane) and apparently the indestructible Reapers are led by a ghostly kid who is also the Catalyst, a componet for the Crucible that you spend a lot of time looking for. Also, 2 randomly chosen squadmates will appear with Joker on survival island at the ending, not saying a word. However that's something that they're changing, so I will not be giving this game the 6 it deserves with it. As I mentioned before, many former squad mates are fixed deaths and die no matter what you do. However, all of the deaths, even the optional ones, are fitting. Thane dies saving a life rather than removing it. Legion dies either in defense of his species or to save them from annihilation. Mordin CAN(but doesn't have to) die curing the genophage, his biggest mistake. Samara CAN die fulfilling the code. Of course they add a heap of stupid and soulless characters, including a lesbian and a gay person. They also added Kai Leng, which I have concluded is a female after watching Thane hit him in his nonexistent balls 10 times. At least you get to slay him when it's over, I didn't hesitate for a nanosecond about the renegade interrupt. Also, they added Co-op Multiplayer which is the biggest new thing out of all the epic updates. You can FINALLY play as Salarians, Turians, Quarians, Asari, Drell, Geth, Krogan, Batarian, and even as a Asari Justicar. It's hard to implement slow motion attacks like Biotic Charge and such when others don't want random slow-mo, but they executed it very well. And a very prevalent topic is the day 1 DLC. I hated it too, but it's not a good reason for plop a 0 down as your score. The new War Assets idea was brilliant. Now you can do side quests and scanning parties for something more important than research material(removed, sadly). Anomalies and random missions were pretty much worthless in mass effect 2, except being very fun. Now they are fun and benefit you by giving a War Asset. Depending on the final decision in Mass Effect 2(destroying the Collector Base or not) you need a certain amount to keep Shepard alive and to keep Earth from utter destruction. A HUGE problem for me was the enemies. Besides having fairly stupid 1-shot kills (unavoidable once it starts), there's only THREE FACTIONS. It would be fun to have a boss on wave 11 in multiplayer, like a Geth Colossus or a Gunship, but no. In fact, in single player, the final boss is the infamous Marauder Shields, in which you have no choice but to use the limitless ammo M-3 Predator(Which I never used after I found my first Weapons Bench). At least they added gun modifications like extended barrels, and upgrading the guns to I and V and X. All in all, this game is excellent but if you're a poor starving person on the streets, prepare for the attack of the DLC. Expand
  67. Mar 8, 2012
    this game is brilliant, good graphics and story,all those complaining really dislike pc gaming or gaming as a whole, this game from the very start grips you and even if it is more action oriented, the rpg elements are here and there to add depth to player development , good game. dont miss it , im enjoying it, the same way i enjoyed 1 and 2, if you liked batman arkham city , deus ex 3 , dead space 2 and the like , you are gonna enjoy this. Expand
  68. Jun 27, 2013
    Another masterpiece from Bioware.

First, I've never played the game without the free Extended Cut DLC, which alters the endings. Keep that it in mind. From what I'm told, the original endings were horrible, but they're not bad with the EC DLC.

Many of the complaints are just NOT true. Characters do not randomly die. I imported a save which I'd used in both ME1 and ME2, and all of my
    choices mattered. Mordin lived, Tali lived, Garrus lived. Liara lived, and I was ecstatic to notice that she's back as a permanent companion in ME3, because she was my romance interest in ME1 and ME2. Everyone relevant lived. I even got the Geth and Quarians working together...

I guess I don't understand the negative reviews for ME3. If you make too many mistakes you'll get everyone killed and be a sad kitty, but if you put some time into the series (all 3 games) your choices really accumulate and you can save virtually everyone.

The reapers are a galaxy-destroying terror. Yes, it's hard to get the good ending and requires a lot of effort on the players part. You will need to play all three games and get everyone working together. You'll need to mediate disputes between your companions, and you'll need to earn massive amounts of loyalty if you want to survive the reaper onslaught. It wouldn't make sense any other way.

Maybe modern gamers don't typically understand this, but an epic victory means way more if it's difficult to achieve. The reapers are powerful... It takes a very skilled and diplomatic player to defeat them without your friends dying in the process.

it's sad to see an amazing game like Mass Effect 3 get bashed simply because players weren't willing to put in the effort to save their favorite companions.
  69. Mar 16, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'd feel guilty about rating the game a 0 when it is such a good game, if it wasn't for the fact that the ending was purposefully a complete and absolute disaster and the aftermath is just worse. Add to this the reused generic assets (for things like Tali's portrait from Getty pictures and the ending slide with the stargazer from the cover of some power metal band's album) that are just inexcusable for a AAA title. Expand
  70. Jun 1, 2012
    Tight controls, beautiful environments, and fluent combat all make ME3 what it is today, a success. The storyline too makes it a beautifully written book. The largest issue to the "mob" seems to be a lackluster ending, an increadibly small price to play considering the 30 hours i'v put into each game in the series (plus the 60 extra hours from playing two other characters on varying difficulties). Considering all the choices made throughout four games, what the hell did people expect? Turian Strippers and Quarian supremecy? For those of you not stuck up on the Single Player, the multiplayer too has lots of fun to be had. Like short war stories one holds the line and moves forward with valid team combat. The idea that Bioware didn't innovate or expand on the original two is amusing, If they had picked any ending beside the one in now, it would be flamed. If They had everyone wear special hats, it would be flamed. The biggest issue i have with the game is the lack of a Mako, it made the game a bit more interesting, stumbling around in the universe in your own casket-box and being quite suprised when you see your first Maw. Expand
  71. Mar 11, 2012
    Fan from the first hour, this episode might be my deepest disappointment in my game history. Mass effect took foot in this rare category of the space opera, and today it commits a shameless suicide in the **** Call Of game butt hole. Why would the developers destroy this unique franchise by turning it in a total void of personality... 25 missions based on the following rule : "meet an old buddy from previous episodes, help him, watch him die/disapear somewhere". Why waste time on the multi-player side when 99.9% of this game reside in the solo side ?
    Why every game editor enforce the "multi-platform" downgrade rule with the **** texture ever on PC ?
    Didn't Bioware studios learned from DAO 2 ? It's the exact same scenario... Turn a brilliant unique game into a tasteless piece of **** for console kids.

**** you Bioware for ruining what could have been the best game trilogy ever.
    I seriously hope you'll announce a Mass effect 4 just to show us that your stupidity knows no boundary.
  72. Mar 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I just finished it 5 minutes ago and wish I could give it a better review because it was a Mass Effect game but I cannot. The biggest reason is the story; it has big holes, really poor pacing, poor content and threads strangling themselves or mutating into monsters. The child in the beginning of the game is a strange choice, someone at Bioware seem to think that a random child which we have absolutely no emotional connection to will trigger an automatic, emotional reaction... especially when he annoys you because he completely brakes up the pacing during the attack on earth. Then the child haunts your dreams in the game and return as the face for the lord of the reapers at the end of the game. They also try to force feed us a childrens' horror story that synthetic life always take over at the end... what? What happened with coexistence? And it just goes on and on... A lot of amateur writers out there could have developed a better and much more coherent story.
    Another thing that annoyed me is that they pulled a Fallout 3 on us, did no one at Bioware read the news some years ago? Shephard is killed at the end so they travel back in time after the game is finished, just before you launch the final attack on the Reapers so that they can sell us DLC... These are major reasons why I gave the game a poor score and I hope that Bioware finally listen on their community for once. I will be careful before spend any money on another Bioware, fastfood game because all I see in this game is that they want to harvest our wallets.
    Other reasons that I pulled down the score is the uneven graphics... I have a decent 3D card (GTX 560) so the game looks beautiful in my personal opinion and this is why I absolutely do not understand why they had to add low quality movie sequences? They should have kept everything in-game so that quality stayed on a constant, higher level and it is also a lot more friendly to editing so... no idea why they did it.
    I also do not understand why they fed us a half-assed multiplayer mode? They could have used that time to polish the game instead. I do not mind multiplayer though, it fits the Mass Effect universe but it would have made a lot more sense as a separate product where it could have received a lot more attention.
    I really leave this game behind me with mixed feelings but the part that probably bugs me the most is that I do not feel that end was good. Mass Effect 3 deserved a better ending and the previous games centered a lot around the interaction with the teammates. It would have felt a lot better if Shephard lived so that you had a last chance to interact with the teammates and have a proper conclusion surrounding them. Especially those that you interacted the most with like Joker, Garrus and Tali in my case...
  73. Mar 24, 2012
    THE BEST OF THE SERIES! I'm 90% completed with the game, and didn't want to play through the ending before writing my review. Reason being, I don't want to change the overall game score (which is damn near perfect) based on what happens with the end of the story line. Basically... this game balances the best of the first two and adds a ton of choices on top to change the way the game plays out. Each decision weighs heavily on the outcome... not merely for kicks, it actually affects your ability to fight the reapers! I am playing through as an Adept and have played the same class since ME1... the new abilities are tweaked perfectly and with armor customization, I'm able to achieve the exact build type I wanted (pure Biotic). The game makes it easy to jump in with no backstory at all, if someone wanted to start playing the series in this last adventure, however it's recommended that you at least play through ME2 so you have an understanding as to what major events pre-curse the scene you're entering. I do have a Gripe though.. the cover system isn't perfect by any stretch. I've gotten caught between covering between two objects involunteerily... just trying to come out of cover on one and jumping right behind the next. The aiming is tightened, the battles themselves are very exciting, and many times it forces you to be strategic on your placement of the squad to avoid flanking. It's impossible to play this game and not have fun in the combat. Of course the story line is amazing... the characters and dialogue continue to be the heart of this game, whether it be Joker falling for EDI (the artificial intelligence that takes on a hot robot form), or Anderson talking about how hard the reapers are hitting Earth... it all blends together so well and becomes immersive! Amazing game. Don't hesitate buying it based on these user reviews complaining about the ending... BAH, you'll miss out on an amazing experience. Two thumbs up! Expand
  74. Mar 22, 2012
    I would give this game 9.0+ score, if Bioware did a proper ending.

Yes, the ending, the ultimate insult to Mass Effect series and the fan. To keep it spoiler free: your choice don't matter a single bit.
  75. Mar 6, 2012
    Regardless of what the paid reviews will tell you, this is another excellent example of how Bioware can take a game and franchise which once held promise, and turn it into a lazily-produced money grab, pandering to the lowest common denominator. Gears of War combat through incredibly linear levels, even fewer dialogue choices that don't seem to matter one bit, stripped-down character customization and skills, and, of course, the quality writing, roughly on the level of high-school fanfiction. Expand
  76. Mar 6, 2012
    Bioware should stop making "games" since they obviously can't be bothered anymore and just stick to their true calling, romance visual novels. Dumbed down gameplay concepts, day one DLC and a plot that's complete garbage, which consists of zero meaningful choice options and a general direction that's put to shame by 10 year old fan-fiction writers. Not to mention the animation is terrible, the music instantly forgettable and voice acting fairly lackluster. Given the choice, it wouldn't surprise me if people didn't even bother pirating this game, it's that bad. Expand
  77. Mar 6, 2012
    They said that the choices from ME1 and ME2 would carry over but they didn't. Day 1 DLC for $15 that allows you to see the best ending. How the **** you go from KotOR to ME3 / TOR is beyond me.
  78. Mar 31, 2012
    ME3 is a SPECTACULAR GAME with a HORRIBLY AWFUL ENDING. Everything up to the end is superb. The ME trilogy is the best rpg experience I've ever had. However, I do understand the massive disappointment displayed here. It just goes to show just how deeply people care about this franchise, and especially the characters in the game. I can't bring myself to give it less than a 9. It would have been f**king 11 if the ending had rocked. Expand
  79. Mar 6, 2012
    Choppy dialogue, forced combat, awful storylines, terrible animations.

Bioware could've done better with this really.
    It's a shame.

3 because at least, when it was fitting, the music was nice.
  80. Mar 6, 2012
    Bioware. Baby. Darling. Honeycakes. We need to talk. You've always toed the line between a direct narrative and a branching narrative, and in the past it's never been a problem. Probably because the meat of the games was in the character arcs and interactions, and changing incidentals about the characters throughout the game based on choice, while not having a monumental impact, will at least give the player the FEELING of agency. There is no agency in this. None of my decisions matter. Rather than translating into flags with any significant impact on the universe, they translate into "peace points" and galactic readiness points and other hyper-simplistic **** And then there's the dialogue wheels: just like DA2, the 3-word bit of text you pick from the wheel has nothing to do with your answer. **** nothing. At one point Ashley was being emo and one of the options I could pick, in the paragon position (but not needing points), was "We've been through a lot." I thought "Oh, he's going to appeal to her emotionally through shared experience!" I selected it. Cue Shepard angrily growling "You should know me better." This makes me feel as though I'm not a part of events. That's bad. Video games are not movies, Bioware, they are video games. The scene in the demo/opening with the little boy? I know you thought it was heart-wrenching, I do, and that's adorable of you, but it's not. We met that boy literally a minute ago, and had no connection with his emotional state at all. Now he's dead. CUE SAD MUSIC AND SHEPARD LOOK SO SAD. Get over yourselves. You work best doing tongue-in-cheek, not melodrama. Oh, and stop gutting the RPG elements. In ME1 the passives were ridiculous at high levels, and you could highly specialize Shepard. The system in ME3 is the same one from ME2 with the upgrades spread out a bit thinner. The combat sections are largely tedious and laughably easy, even on the hardest difficulty. I will give Bioware one thing: they have improved on the fluidity of TPS control. However, in their fervor to do so, they forgot to make enemies that actually force the player to explore this new fluidity. He can just sit behind his chest-high wall and line up headshots with his x-ray vision Expand
  81. Mar 6, 2012
    If you liked Mass Effect, and were disappointed with Mass Effect 2's gameplay changes, then you probably won't be surprised by this game.
    The storyline retcons almost any choice the player made in the first 2 parts of the trilogy in favour of 'Bioware's official canon', removing any sense of a uniqe story.
    The climax is also incredibly cliché, in that the small child is
    actually the villain and he's killing everyone to save everyone but the chosen one changes his mind.
    Graphically it looks average, the only real issue is the reusal of bodies, merely re-skinned. esp. during the gay sex scene.
    Overall this game is a waste of money, but luckily I've already got someone who needs the game and will pay me full price because he can't find it anywhere else, so no loss on my part.
  82. Mar 6, 2012
    I enjoyed ME 1 immensely but this feels like an empty shell compared to that. My previous choices seem pointless, it's like that story and deaths are ignored.
  83. Mar 6, 2012
    If you look closely at Mass Effect 3 you will see the last tiny bit of Bioware's soul rot away, consumed by EA forever. As someone who has been a fan of their games from Baldur's Gate to Dragon Age: Origins, seeing how far they have fallen has been a painful experience. Writing has deteriorated to the most basic black and white, with most dialogues presenting only 2 options rather than 3. As was feared the series ends with a Deus Ex Machina (quite literally as the ending was almost entirely stolen from the game Deus Ex). Further evidence plagiarism of a desktop wallpaper of all things in the game's FINAL SCENE does not help Bioware's case. The whole thing seems like it was rushed with little care about the game's quality, as if they expected people to buy it automatically no matter how bad it was (and I'm sure they do). Creativity seems truly dead from that studio at this point. Do not buy this game. No not rent it, do not waste the bandwidth of pirating it. Vote with your dollars in the slim hope that Bioware may someday return to its senses. Expand
  84. Apr 1, 2012
    The good: great galactic apocalyptic story (albeit a bit weird at the end), excellent third-person shooter action with varied enemies and situations, lush environments, excellent voice-acting, multi-player is surprisingly addictive and frenetic.

Slightly annoying: wearing a type of armour that boosts your shields has a visor, meaning that in some of the "emotional" cut-scenes you can't
    see Shephard's face! Also, I hate not having a button specific to "cover". The amount of times I got stuck to a wall or something and I didn't want to! Also, when you're speeding around in the Normandy and get spotted by the Reapers, it's not much fun trying to evade them as their ships are somehow faster. Finally my one criticism of the multi-player option is that the environments could have been more varied, plus it would have been nice to have to fight a combination of enemies, such as Cerberus and Reapers etc ..

The bad: The game is possibly a little too easy, so it could have been slightly more challenging, especially at the end. The ending is, as you all know by now, a little bit "WTF", and I agree that its ambiguity is ultimately a bit frustrating.
  85. Mar 6, 2012
    A terrific game.Bioware has really outdone itself in this final installment.Everything including the game play, the story and the music has been improved. This has got to be the most emotionally compelling experience in video game history. The ending though was depressing and I would would have preferred a happier ending. If anyone deserved a happy ending it was Shepard but it was still beautiful. My favorite Mass Effect game and deserves a perfect 10. Expand
  86. Mar 6, 2012
    Disappointing, derivative and convoluted. BioWare tries to make things deep and emotional but with their Bayesque approach to storytelling it just ends up utterly pretentious. You'd expect better from the supposed masters of interactive storytelling. Speaking of interacting there is barely room for it in Mass Effect 3's dialogue system. With the cinematic presentation taken too far you will be watching Shepard go on and on without any form of player input almost as if you were really at the cinema. While the generic shoot and stop gameplay isn't necessarily bad it doesn't begin to make up for the rancid conclusion of this maudlin space opera.

Do yourself a favor and play Deus Ex instead.
  87. Mar 16, 2012
    Not only the best Mass effect game of the series by far, but probably the best game of all time.

You will see lots of whining about the ending of the game. Ignore it. You should play this game, even the cry babies willl agree that 90% of this game is pure undiluted awesome.

As for the end, judge for yourself, but if you think that a game with an atmosphere of grim dark hopelessness
    is all of a sudden, at the end, going to burst out into a song while Volus dance around a campfire and fireworks go off in the background because shepard beat the reapers, you are deluded. Expand
  88. Mar 6, 2012
    The first Mass Effect is one of my all time favorite games, with really enjoyable gameplay and immersing story, I rate Mass Effect 2 as good but not as good as the first one, the story just didn't progress enough. Sadly Mass Effect 3 is the weakest in the series in my opinion. While the gameplay is about on par with the previous games, which is good, the story was really lacking. Large plotholes made the game unenjoyable for me and the ending was real letdown. I'm quite sad this trilogy ended on such a mediocre tone. Expand
  89. May 16, 2012
    So apparently my review was removed, because me saying 'this game is awful, bought reviewers are bought', and 'to not waste your time' doesn't apparently sit well with the bankroll system of metacritic. Funny that, I thought a review system was meant to be used for reviewing. I'll say it again: This game is awful, play ME1 and then just stop. The series goes all downhill from there.
  90. Mar 22, 2012
    I´d just recommend to wait with your purchase until the current controversy subsides. If you´re a fan of the series and want to play now, DO yourself a favour and look up how the game ends, spoilers or no, because you might face serious disappointment. There are polls up within Bioware´s social community that show anywhere between 80-90 percent of players disappointed with the ending. Just... wait. At the very least, you´ll get the game much, much cheaper one month from now. The user score is so low it´s scary, by the way, I think the game by itself still reaches a decent 5. Expand
  91. Mar 14, 2012
    Great game. Yeah it is not perfect sometimes the dialogues feel dull, there is absolutely no innovation and the last 15 minutes of the game really sucks including the endgame cut scene. But overall this a great game. The story besides the ending is wonderful. Action part of the game is good and the multiplayer is decent. If you are expecting an action third person shooter with a great story and few rpg elements or if you like Mass Effect 2 this is a game for you. Expand
  92. Mar 6, 2012
    Really enjoyed the game, thought the characters were really well developed and the set pieces were fantastic, you really did feel as though you were in the action. Amazing graphical updates and the fact that the series was in fact a story told by a granddad to his kid makes me happier as now I can await the MMO which will involve the true story instead of make-believe.
  93. Nov 22, 2013
    Mass Effect 3 if a good sci-fi RPG, the online mode is fun, good graphics, great musical score, very good story, ME3 still plays well, with some of the best voice acting and performances in a game, while the ending has been updated and expanded making it barely durable, if you own Mass Effect 1&2 you may want to play ME3 for closure, but be prepared for the possibility be put off the franchise
  94. Mar 7, 2012
    From the hamfisted forced drama to the endings taken straight from Deus Ex and re-branded, Mass Effect 3 is evidence that Bioware is finished. Between The Old Republic and Dragon Age 2, Bioware have either forgotten what made their games great, or they are being forced to make bad decisions by EA.

The animations are an embarrassment to say the least, the sprinting animation in
    particular.
    Gameplay is a carbon copy of Mass Effect 2, but with an inferior level design.
    Choices made in Mass Effect 1 and 2 are barely noticeable, which was a major selling point for this game.
  95. Mar 27, 2012
    I feel like the biggest problem with this game was the blatant disregard for the consumer when they put together the story for this final piece. While I didn't think it was the worst ending to a Sci-Fi trilogy (Hello Matrix), I do think there were a few things that they could have done differently. The biggest problems I had with this game though were alot of the things they missed. The lack of side missions, the lack of places to explore, and the fact that Bioware thinks we are all idiots with the issue with the DLC really puts a stain on this otherwise great gaming trilogy. I am glad that they are going back to address the issue of the ending but, with everything else that accompanied this game, the series really took a step back from ME 2, which I still think is one of the best sequels of all time. Bioware really lost touch with their consumers with this game and I do believe that is the EA influence doing the devil's work. The issue with the DLC will forever taint this game, no matter what they do with the ending. Still the ending of this series can be salvaged and the fans can be appeased somewhat with an ending they might like. However, in it's current form and even if the ending somehow changes everyone's mind about this game, this is still the worst game in the Mass Effect series and it's truly disappointing for me to write that. The utter disrespect shown to us players by Bioware with the DLC is the worst thing about this game and that will never go away no matter what they do with the ending. Still, if you've gone this far with the series, I would advise you to give it a chance just to see what you think. Just know that this definitely doesn't live up to the first two games in the slightest. Expand
  96. Mar 6, 2012
    its an "ok" first-person-shooter with a movielike displayed story and absolutly no innovation. with other words: its the call of duty of the action-adventures.
  97. Mar 6, 2012
    Day one DLC, forced romances, boring gameplay, terrible graphics, pants on head retarded story, uninteresting characters and the list goes on.

So much did EA/Bioware pay the reviewers?
  98. Mar 11, 2012
    Holy cow, a 92 average critic rating and then you've got this hyped game that has you wondering within a few hours why on earth you'd been anticipating this title for so long. I'm really struggling to even give it a 5, and on second thought I'll give it a 4. It really looks like BioWare has sold its soul to the, uhm, to EA. After the let down called The Old Republic, we get an even bigger let down. Maybe they sunk so much money into TOR that nothing good could come from ME3. If you haven't bought it already, do yourself a favor and don't fall for this trap. If you liked ME1 and ME2 then stick with those games and don't let ME3 ruin the whole experience. Expand
  99. Mar 2, 2013
    Amazing game buy it and don't listen to all those haters. As close to perfection as is possible in this day and age to achieve and worth a lot more than its starting price. Its quite sad to see the low user score this game has received just because the ending wasn't to the liking of all the ADHD fps (I need gratification right away and I wish to engage as few braincells as possible to get there) players. In this case I would suggest listening to the professional video game journalists and put aside the red ink haters... Expand
  100. Apr 15, 2012
    Annoying. Bought this off the back of a lot of favourable reviews. Are there any actual reviewers who arent in bed with ea ? The graphics are fine but the writing and some of the gameplay are truly awful. Worst game in the series but on the upside i learned something
  101. Mar 24, 2012